Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Reeves puts herself in the frame as Starmer’s successor – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,379
    edited October 2021
    tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/28/danyal-hussein-jailed-for-35-years-for-murdering-sisters-in-london-park

Whipple said she was unable to hand out a whole-life sentence because Hussein was under 21. She said the usual minimum term would be 37 years for crimes of this severity, but that she had reduced it because of Hussein’s age – he had only turned 18 three weeks before committing the crime – and his autism spectrum disorder diagnosis, which she said could “make you a person who could struggle in prison more than others”.

She decided, however, not to consider evidence of an undiagnosed personality disorder or psychopathy identified in a psychiatric report as a mitigating factor, or to delay sentencing while these were further examined, because Hussein had refused to comply with the evaluation.

The murders were evil but the murderer clearly nutty as a fruitcake (as described in DSM3). I do think we could save a lot of time and money by removing from the courts any role in deciding whether criminals are sane, and instead short-circuiting them to Broadmoor. It would better serve humanity but also justice.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,169

The talk of enjoying taking the train when it costs much more and takes much longer than flying, makes me realise we've got a fair few Sheldon Coopers on this site.

From my favourite episode of Big Bang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANtbPef8M8

Better views (it’s normally cloudy at 35,000ft in my experience), more leg room, wider seats, less noisy, much lower chance of having your luggage end up in Cairo by mistake, no long queues at security…

There are lots of reasons for preferring trains to planes. Particularly when journey times are comparable. I have on occasion taken a trip by train just for the journey, rather than the destination. I can’t see myself doing that on a commercial flight.
    Talking of which, the Cairo Luxor sleeper train is a definite adventure. Still not as good as the Caledonian. But fun

And the old one from Paris to the Riviera, that was special. Not sure if it even runs anymore, now the TGV has unromantically shortened the journey
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

tlg86 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/oct/28/danyal-hussein-jailed-for-35-years-for-murdering-sisters-in-london-park

Whipple said she was unable to hand out a whole-life sentence because Hussein was under 21. She said the usual minimum term would be 37 years for crimes of this severity, but that she had reduced it because of Hussein’s age – he had only turned 18 three weeks before committing the crime – and his autism spectrum disorder diagnosis, which she said could “make you a person who could struggle in prison more than others”.

She decided, however, not to consider evidence of an undiagnosed personality disorder or psychopathy identified in a psychiatric report as a mitigating factor, or to delay sentencing while these were further examined, because Hussein had refused to comply with the evaluation.

The murders were evil but the murderer clearly nutty as a fruitcake (as described in DSM3). I do think we could save a lot of time and money by removing from the courts any role in deciding whether criminals are sane, and instead short-circuiting them to Broadmoor.
    I'd be fine with that. But in those cases, life must mean life even if it's in a high security hospital rather than a prison.
  • Options
    JBriskin3JBriskin3 Posts: 1,254

JBriskin3 said:

Must admit I'm surprised to see the @Anabobazina meme from yesterday getting the OGH treatment.

What meme was this?
    Rachel Reeves playing a blinder.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,192

The talk of enjoying taking the train when it costs much more and takes much longer than flying, makes me realise we've got a fair few Sheldon Coopers on this site.

From my favourite episode of Big Bang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANtbPef8M8

Better views (it’s normally cloudy at 35,000ft in my experience), more leg room, wider seats, less noisy, much lower chance of having your luggage end up in Cairo by mistake, no long queues at security…

There are lots of reasons for preferring trains to planes. Particularly when journey times are comparable. I have on occasion taken a trip by train just for the journey, rather than the destination. I can’t see myself doing that on a commercial flight.
    Ah the old joke at the check in desk. "I'm travelling to Glasgow, but I'd like my luggage to go to Cairo please:. "I'm sorry sir, we can't do that.". "Whyever not, that's what you did last time..."
  • Options

Again, it doesn’t take “much longer than flying” on the routes we’ve been discussing. Why persist in this mythology?
    I'm totally with you on this one. Flying is horrendous. Airport terminals are gross, full of commercial tat and rubbish food. The pain of spending all that time queuing to show papers and then hanging about waiting to get on; then watching morons struggle to put their luggage in the racks; then queuing again to get off and for luggage etc. Meanwhile staying seated with no room to stretch out (for us plebs). No pleasure at all.

By contrast, London - Montpellier by rail is an absolute pleasure, especially the TGV bit. Watching the changing countryside fly past, strolling up and down the train, plenty of legroom, a table to play cards on, and a bar. From city centre to city centre, arriving bright and fresh. Great. There's more to life than time and money.
    Is that direct? Or changing at Lille? Or what?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

He's got very lucky.

A man has been given a suspended sentence after he admitted sending a threatening email to Labour's deputy leader Angela Rayner.

Benjamin Iliffe, 36, from Cambridgeshire, was sentenced at Huntingdon Magistrates' Court to 15 weeks in prison suspended for 18 months.

https://news.sky.com/story/angela-rayner-email-benjamin-iliffe-gets-suspended-sentence-after-he-admitted-sending-threatening-message-to-labour-deputy-leader-12453460

Well, yes. I mean, in many other countries a suspended sentence means something altogether different...
  • Options
    Leon said:

Talking of which, the Cairo Luxor sleeper train is a definite adventure. Still not as good as the Caledonian. But fun

And the old one from Paris to the Riviera, that was special. Not sure if it even runs anymore, now the TGV has unromantically shortened the journey
    This one? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Train_Bleu

The is a (deservedly) less well known Agatha Christie novel set on it: The Mystery of the Blue Train.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Leon said:

Again, it doesn’t take “much longer than flying” on the routes we’ve been discussing. Why persist in this mythology?
    I'm totally with you on this one. Flying is horrendous. Airport terminals are gross, full of commercial tat and rubbish food. The pain of spending all that time queuing to show papers and then hanging about waiting to get on; then watching morons struggle to put their luggage in the racks; then queuing again to get off and for luggage etc. Meanwhile staying seated with no room to stretch out (for us plebs). No pleasure at all.

By contrast, London - Montpellier by rail is an absolute pleasure, especially the TGV bit. Watching the changing countryside fly past, strolling up and down the train, plenty of legroom, a table to play cards on, and a bar. From city centre to city centre, arriving bright and fresh. Great. There's more to life than time and money.
    Is that direct? Or changing at Lille? Or what?
    You can change in Lille, or in Paris. Neither are a big deal, though Lille a bit quicker.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

He's got very lucky.

A man has been given a suspended sentence after he admitted sending a threatening email to Labour's deputy leader Angela Rayner.

Benjamin Iliffe, 36, from Cambridgeshire, was sentenced at Huntingdon Magistrates' Court to 15 weeks in prison suspended for 18 months.

https://news.sky.com/story/angela-rayner-email-benjamin-iliffe-gets-suspended-sentence-after-he-admitted-sending-threatening-message-to-labour-deputy-leader-12453460

Well, yes. I mean, in many other countries a suspended sentence means something altogether different...
    They probably don’t have sentencing guidelines for subsequent offences either.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

ydoethur said:

He's got very lucky.

Indeed knot, it would be considered unnecessary.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Leon said:

Mombasa to Nairobi is good.

When the young Winston Churchill did this trip, he got someone to weld a wrought iron bench to the front of the locomotive so that he could sit there with a rifle and shoot game; the train would then stop to retrieve the kills. All of that with no authority to do any of it, other than being an English sahib of the officer class.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He's got very lucky.

The sentencing guidelines for Oliver Cromwell show it is possible to have sentencing guidelines in those circumstances.
  • Options

He's got very lucky.

Indeed - not sure about the message it gives either
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

When the young Winston Churchill did this trip, he got someone to weld a wrought iron bench to the front of the locomotive so that he could sit there with a rifle and shoot game; the train would then stop to retrieve the kills. All of that with no authority to do any of it, other than being an English sahib of the officer class.
    I’ve been on a train in Greece where the driver got off to pick fruit. To be fair he didn’t stop the train…
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,192
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    He was a man of his time, and should be judged as such.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He's got very lucky.

The sentencing guidelines for Oliver Cromwell show it is possible to have sentencing guidelines in those circumstances.
    I didn’t think that was a second offence.
  • Options

Leon said:

The is a (deservedly) less well known Agatha Christie novel set on it: The Mystery of the Blue Train.
    That’s it. Le train bleu

I went on a much reduced version of it in the late 1980s. Now it has gone entirely? Shame. It was a gas. From the grisaille of Paris to the glitter of the Côte d’Azur, in one night
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    edited October 2021
    Leon said:

I got the train from Paris to Nice a few years ago. It's wonderful - fast to the south, but then slows down gradually as you head east so that you can enjoy the Riviera as it unfolds. It's still running, as far as I know.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

That’s it. Le train bleu

I went on a much reduced version of it in the late 1980s. Now it has gone entirely? Shame. It was a gas. From the grisaille of Paris to the glitter of the Côte d’Azur, in one night
    I found this when looking for the French Blue Train: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Train_(South_Africa)

Possibly your sort of thing?
  • Options

He's got very lucky.

Indeed - not sure about the message it gives either
    That you create a certain climate by publicly calling your political opponents scum when you ought to know better.
  • Options
    Personally (you know me!) I don't see the attraction of catching a train just to sleep on it!

I prefer to take in the sights along the route during the daytime (if possible, natch).
  • Options
    Breaking

Major incident in Hawick declared following sustained rainfall with estimates the River Teviot will peak above 3 metres possibly resulting in significant property damage and risk to public safety
  • Options

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    Well, antipathy to animal cruelty is older than that. The RSPCA was around for half a century before Churchill was born.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,984

It's simply a nicer experience to take the train.

Before Covid I did a lot of travelling between Edinburgh and London and taking the train was simply less hassle. After travelling to Kings Cross I'd get to my train and I'd then get to sit down for four and a bit hours and read, knit and watch Netflix, etc with food and drink I'd brought with me.

If I was flying then I'd have to be a lot more disciplined and organised with my packing, I might have to check a bag in after arriving at the airport, then go through security (where I'd have to risk losing my knitting needles or scissors depending on the latest iteration of the security rules, or put my knitting in my checked bag), then hang around for a while, buy some food after not being allowed to bring any through security, board the plane, comply with bizarre rules on what devices I was allowed to use while the plane took off, then wait for my checked bag again at the other end after disembarking.

You don't need to be a train fetishist to prefer the train journey.
    I fly a fair bit with work. Even for long-haul, I have long since stopped taking anything on the plane bar my phone and a book, which I shove in my jacket pocket. As you say, the ludicrous, ever changing rules aren’t worth the faff. If I need anything to eat or drink, I order it from the stewardess. I always check my luggage as several business suits don’t fit in a hold bag.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

He's got very lucky.

If Cromwell wasn't such a twat, we could still have been a republic (or "Commonwealth") to this day!
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

Heathener said:

Speaking of HS2, has anyone else been to Euston recently? I was there last week and it's currently the grottiest railway station I think I've ever been to: eclipsing anything in Asia. The loos are absolutely disgusting.

I only hope this is because of HS2 development? Does anyone know? The fact that it doesn't really link properly to King's Cross-St Pancras is also one of the more bizarre aspects of HS2.

The original Euston fell victim to post-war planning vandalism.

Luckily the second best station facade (Huddersfield) has been protected. Network Rail have just produced plans for upgrades which however will not affect the Grade 1 listed building.
  • Options

Personally (you know me!) I don't see the attraction of catching a train just to sleep on it!

I prefer to take in the sights along the route during the daytime (if possible, natch).

While I was a student did the Inter-rail (sp?) thing round much of Europe with a couple of friends. Sleeping on the train was free, while staying overnight meant paying for a youth hostel or similar. I managed to get to Istanbul by train before having to sleep not on a train.
  • Options

You should try the ‘Love Train’ - if it still runs - a sleeper between Moscow and Leningrad/Petersburg

It was very popular with swooning young Soviet lovers, trapped in cramped apartments with parents. They would take the train just so they could have sex in some kind of privacy
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,616
    "Atlanta’s elites have had enough
    The city's richest and whitest district wants to secede
    BY OLIVER WISEMAN"

https://unherd.com/2021/10/atlantas-elites-have-had-enough/
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,382

ydoethur said:

He's got very lucky.

For some reason this conversation reminds me of this rather well done attempt in the style of MR James

http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pardos/StoryFour.html
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    Well, antipathy to animal cruelty is older than that. The RSPCA was around for half a century before Churchill was born.
    Competently shooting game with a view to its being eaten isn't cruelty
  • Options
    Leon said:

You should try the ‘Love Train’ - if it still runs - a sleeper between Moscow and Leningrad/Petersburg

It was very popular with swooning young Soviet lovers, trapped in cramped apartments with parents. They would take the train just so they could have sex in some kind of privacy
    I’ve been on that train, though it was Leningrad to Moscow when I did it. School trip though, so probably less sex than your description.
  • Options

Before Covid I did a lot of travelling between Edinburgh and London and taking the train was simply less hassle. After travelling to Kings Cross I'd get to my train and I'd then get to sit down for four and a bit hours and read, knit and watch Netflix, etc with food and drink I'd brought with me.

If I was flying then I'd have to be a lot more disciplined and organised with my packing, I might have to check a bag in after arriving at the airport, then go through security (where I'd have to risk losing my knitting needles or scissors depending on the latest iteration of the security rules, or put my knitting in my checked bag), then hang around for a while, buy some food after not being allowed to bring any through security, board the plane, comply with bizarre rules on what devices I was allowed to use while the plane took off, then wait for my checked bag again at the other end after disembarking.

Why do they say ‘now sit back and enjoy your flight’?

Unless you are in Business or better it is never ‘enjoyable’. It is something to be tolerated, and something you want finished ASAP

Whereas a train CAN be actively enjoyable. The way the countryside flickers past. At the right speed it induces a creative mood in the brain. I’ve noticed you don’t get this meditative vibe on the TGV/Eurostar/Shinkansen etc. They go TOO fast
  • Options

We would always take the train if possible

Notable journeys we took

Calais to Chambery (car train)

Moscow to St Petersburg

Adelaide to Alice Springs

Johannesburg to Cape Town
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Glasgow - Oban does much of what you need, frankly, without the sleeper part.

Plus then you can have a glass of Old Mull after you take the Callie Mac over.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,533
    Andy_JS said:

"Atlanta’s elites have had enough
    The city's richest and whitest district wants to secede
    BY OLIVER WISEMAN"

https://unherd.com/2021/10/atlantas-elites-have-had-enough/

Interesting proposal.

How does one set up a new city in the USA?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited October 2021

Bloody Eastern Europeans coming to London and shoving out the natives.

West Ham United are in advanced talks to sell a 27 per cent stake in the club to Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky.

The deal, which could be announced within days, would value West Ham at more than £600 million and could be the precursor to an eventual full takeover which would end the ownership of David Sullivan and David Gold who bought the club in 2010.

The pair have been looking for investment partners for several years and only wanted to sell a minority stake, initially at least. The offer values the club at significantly more than the two bids – albeit attempts to buy West Ham outright – received from PAI Capital, a group headed by London-based Azerbaijani businessman Nasib Piriyev.

Kretinsky, known as the “Czech sphinx” for his low profile and inscrutable nature after making a series of shrewd investments, has been in talks with West Ham for some time.

He is Royal Mail’s biggest shareholder, owning 15 per cent of the company and making paper profits worth hundreds of millions of pounds after the its stock surged in the last year.

Kretinsky’s firm Vesa Equity Investments owns 10 per cent of Sainsbury’s, having recently increased its stake by buying more than £300m worth of shares from Qatar’s sovereign wealth fund.

At 46, Kretinsky is one of a new breed of Eastern Europe industrialists and his fortune is said to be worth more than £3 billion. A corporate lawyer, he has turned to the west where he has also bought magazine titles including the French edition of Elle and radio stations. He is also the largest shareholder in France’s Le Monde newspaper.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/10/28/west-ham-talks-sell-27-per-cent-stake-czech-billionaire-valuing/

I for one hope the Dildo Brothers are here to stay but do not misunderestimate the brilliance of a corporate lawyer.

Hammers 4th in the EPL and through to the quarter-finals of the Carabou Cup!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    And shooting rhinos for fun, is.
  • Options

Leon said:

I’ve been on that train, though it was Leningrad to Moscow when I did it. School trip though, so probably less sex than your description.
    And we have travelled Moscow to Leningrad when it was Leningrad and was the first time we experienced 24 hours daylight arriving in daylight at 11.00 pm
  • Options

We were talking about examples like Manchester to Paris. That's a 90 minute flight.

How do you get from Manchester to Paris without spending much longer than 90 minutes? It'd take at least twice as long even direct.
  • Options
    Fuck it-

Here's my train anecdote-

After spending [REDACTED] I took the train from London to Aberdeen - and Nick Clegg was on the same train! (getting off near Sheffield presumably)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,597
    Google in the doghouse along with Facebook.
    "Ok so, I just read through all 173 pages of the unredacted Google antitrust filing and I have to say that either Google is screwed or society is screwed, we'll find out which.
    Unordered list of fun things I learned:"

https://twitter.com/fasterthanlime/status/1452053938195341314
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    Not necessarily, back in those days thinks and elephants needed seriously controlling to protect crops. For the natives to eat with a view to not dying of starvation.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    Not necessarily, back in those days thinks and elephants needed seriously controlling to protect crops. For the natives to eat with a view to not dying of starvation.
    Thinks - rhinos.
  • Options

We were talking about examples like Manchester to Paris. That's a 90 minute flight.

How do you get from Manchester to Paris without spending much longer than 90 minutes? It'd take at least twice as long even direct.
    Again, show me your working. Including faffing around at the airports, getting to/from city centres... but we've been through this, over and again now!
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    Yes, Churchill has a well-deserved reputation for fighting against starvation.
    No, wait. The other.

He shot animals because it pleased him. You know it, I know you know it, and you know I know you know it. Stop this sorry dancing. He was was a man who not just took pleasure out of, but made a public show of, killing animals.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,729
    TOPPING said:

Glasgow - Oban does much of what you need, frankly, without the sleeper part.

Plus then you can have a glass of Old Mull after you take the Callie Mac over.

Remembering toast and boiled egg in the midst of Rannoch Muir in the dining car of the old time sleeper to Mallaig in the good old days. And the train back which was more than long enough for everyone and you could open the windows for the smell of the parcel of kippers I had bought for Mum and Dad.
  • Options
    AslanAslan Posts: 1,673
    Nigelb said:

Google in the doghouse along with Facebook.
    "Ok so, I just read through all 173 pages of the unredacted Google antitrust filing and I have to say that either Google is screwed or society is screwed, we'll find out which.
    Unordered list of fun things I learned:"

https://twitter.com/fasterthanlime/status/1452053938195341314

Astonishing.

From that filing...

""google has a secret deal with facebook called "Jedi Blue" that they knew was so illegal that it has a whole section describing how they'll cover for each other if anyone finds out - google appears to have a team called gTrade that is wholly dedicated to ad market manipulation""
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,616
    This is a good speech by Biden. Wealthy people should pay their fair share of tax.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    No, wait. The other.

He shot animals because it pleased him. You know it, I know you know it, and you know I know you know it. Stop this sorry dancing. He was was a man who not just took pleasure out of, but made a public show of, killing animals.
    Yes well so did everybody else, and the point stands: killing an animal which needs killing in the most painless way achievable is not cruelty.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,085
    edited October 2021

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    As the greatest Briton who evvah lived, surely he's a man for all the ages?

• Options
    JBriskin3 said:

Fuck it-

After spending [REDACTED] I took the train from London to Aberdeen - and Nick Clegg was on the same train! (getting off near Sheffield presumably)

I was sitting a few seats away from Nigel fucking Farage some years back between London Victoria and West Dulwich. He alighted there, presumably, to give a talk at the nearby school.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,843
    Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    No, wait. The other.

So what? Lots of people shoot game.
  • Options
    I also saw Michael Portillo at Ely station filming for his BBC series back in 2016.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    As the greatest Briton who evvah lived, surely he's a man for all the ages?

In addition to historical figures, like us today, being complicated, I think we need to stop thinking of great as always a synonym for good. People do do so, but i prefer to think of it in terms of being impactful. Even Harry Potter was told people could do great and terrible things.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Fuck it-

I was sitting a few seats away from Nigel fucking Farage some years back between London Victoria and West Dulwich. He alighted there, presumably, to give a talk at the nearby school.
    I thought we referred to him as Our Nige here??
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    No, wait. The other.

Yes well so did everybody else, and the point stands: killing an animal which needs killing in the most painless way achievable is not cruelty.
    I wondered for a moment if the loco story was a confusion with Teddy Roosevelt who definitely rode on the loco smokebox end on the railway from Mombasa to Nairobi, but more likely it was a done thing - sort of premium extra first class. So perhaps almost anyone who was anyone did it?

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/African_Game_Trails/UD0qympZqV8C?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=roosevelt+train+locomotive+africa&pg=PA16&printsec=frontcover
  • Options
    Anyhoo, I've resigned my membership of Yorkshire County Cricket Club.

What a fiasco.

Azeem Rafiq has accused Yorkshire of protecting their staff after the county said it will take no disciplinary action against any of its employees, players or executives following an independent report on allegations of racism.

The former Yorkshire player reacted angrily in the wake of the club’s announcement on Thursday their internal investigation had concluded “there is no conduct or action taken by any of its employees, players or executives that warrants disciplinary action”.

Writing on Twitter, Rafiq said: “Wow just when you think this club couldn’t get more embarrassing you find a way. Still awaiting the FULL report. Thanks for mentioning the people that have provided your PROTECTION & given green light to RACISM.”

Yorkshire released a summarised version of their report on 10 September, apologising and accepting Rafiq had been a victim of “racial harassment and bullying” in his two spells at the club between 2008 and 2018.

A spokesperson for Rafiq said: “We note the statement released by Yorkshire County Cricket Club today. As ever, we will take time to fully respond. However, we do also note that the club has come to the conclusion that no employees, players or executives will face disciplinary action. This is despite Yorkshire County Cricket Club’s admission that Azeem was the victim of racial harassment and bullying. This is despite Yorkshire County Cricket Club’s admission that it failed to follow its own policy and investigate allegations of racism as recently as 2018.

“It is inconceivable that there are no current employees who should not have been disciplined for their conduct. Yorkshire’s failures continue to mount up and it is time that board members – for once – do the decent thing and resign.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/28/yorkshire-says-no-staff-at-club-will-face-action-over-azeem-rafiq
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    No, wait. The other.

So what? Lots of people shoot game.
    Lots of people disapprove of shooting game too.

If it's not to be judged by modern standards theres no need to quibble over his motives.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

IshmaelZ said:

Leon said:

What a wretched man
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengal_famine_of_1943
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

This is a good speech by Biden. Wealthy people should pay their fair share of tax.

A statement no one could disagree with is meaningless. The key is what people think is fair.
  • Options
    I’m still slightly obsessed with the total crapness of the Belmond Royal Scotsman experience. In relation to what they are charging

Here’s what you get in your week’s holiday

https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/scotland/belmond-royal-scotsman/journeys/grand-western-scenic-wonders?packageCode=SGNORTHR

Basically a whole load of free food and booze for seven days, a boat trip to see seals, trips round castles, and - shudder - one night of ‘traditional entertainment’ on the train. That has to be bagpipes and highland dancing. Which is traditionally done on a luxury train, as any true Scotsman knows

Anyway that’s it. How much is that if you take it apart? £3k per head? £4k?

They are charging £12,500 per head - and it is all sold out
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Leon said:

I’m still slightly obsessed with the total crapness of the Belmond Royal Scotsman experience. In relation to what they are charging

https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/scotland/belmond-royal-scotsman/journeys/grand-western-scenic-wonders?packageCode=SGNORTHR

Basically a whole load of free food and booze for seven days, a boat trip to see seals, trips round castles, and - shudder - one night of ‘traditional entertainment’ on the train. That has to be bagpipes and highland dancing. Which is traditionally done on a luxury train, as any true Scotsman knows

American tourists have lots of money and limited holiday time to spend it all?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

Possibly. They must be very confident covid will be over, if so

Twelve and a half fucking grand!

You could hire a Bentley and a driver and go from 5 star hotel to 5 star hotel - and have much more fun and flexibility - and pay half that, with shitloads of champagne and premium scotch

I do like a train, as we have established, but I don’t like them THAT much
  • Options
    Leon said:

I thought “traditional entertainment” on a sleeper train means someone gets stabbed twelve times and you get a famous detective to work out who did it.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    eek said:

From New Jersey - one way to find staff...

It is amazing - everywhere you go there are hiring signs or signs asking for patience due to short staffing. Or places simply close temporarily until a shift can be adequately staffed. I never know when the local Starbucks will be open for more than Drive-Thru'
  • Options

Leon said:

I thought “traditional entertainment” on a sleeper train means someone gets stabbed twelve times and you get a famous detective to work out who did it.
    Maybe it’s a drunken hooker from Glasgae who wobbles down the train corridor offering to suck you off if you buy her another bottle of Bucky?
  • Options
    Leon said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

You could hire a Bentley and a driver and go from 5 star hotel to 5 star hotel - and have much more fun and flexibility - and pay half that, with shitloads of champagne and premium scotch

:D
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Leon said:

But you get to enjoy two Class 66s for haulage. Surely that is the biggest draw?
  • Options

Leon said:

That package is £16,500.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    Leon said:

rkrkrk said:

Leon said:

I smell a travel article coming on. Now. Who to write it.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

TimS said:

Trouble is Reeves seems to make a very good shadow chancellor. Like Brown in the 1990s. We have this tendency in politics and business to promote people out of jobs they are very good at, and sometimes that's not the right answer. Labour needs someone convincing on the economic and public finances.

She is also quite serious and downbeat (again like Brown). Not a shiny smiley optimist. Given that's also Keir's problem, ideally they would have a fun loving, cheery optimistic leader supported by the clunking fist of an all-destroying shadow CoE.

I agree with pretty much all that. Brown's leadership ambitions were his eventual downfall. Reeves should stay where she is and give substance to Labour's economic ambitions.

It's similar for the Tories, with people talking up the chances of Sunak, and to a lesser extent Truss, as next leader. Just because they're perceived as good in their current jobs doesn't mean that they'd make good leaders. In Truss's case, I think it's highly unlikely.

It's a bit like promoting the most brilliant teachers to be head teachers. It's often a disaster. Different skill sets and all that.
    Or scientists or engineers or doctors or lawyers into executive leadership. The problem is we pay executives more, when we should pay the best scientists etc... the same to keep them in the jobs where they contribute the most value.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I think the key learnings from today's railway debate are:

a) most PBers like trains
    b) Phillip Thompson hates trains
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Leon said:

But you get to enjoy two Class 66s for haulage. Surely that is the biggest draw?
    There are Class 70 locos, but until recently no Class 69s (these are former Class 56s).
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,607
    I did the Caledonian sleeper last summer with the family. When we booked it was pre-Covid so we'd anticipated that dining car, late whiskies etc. As it was we were stuck in our small sleeper compartment all night and having to don masks to wander shiftily to the toilet cubicle. Yes the scenery was nice coming in towards Fort William but it was raining, so overall the trip wasn't much fun. Exciting for the children though. Would like to try it again when the dining car reopens.

My favourite train journey used to be the one at the end of half term, returning home from Hereford with an overnight bag on the slow regional train via Birmingham, seemingly always on a golden sunny late afternoon as the carriages trundled past Ledbury, Great Malvern and onwards. Not spectacular, but always very relaxing, and I was going home.
  • Options

Leon said:

That package is £16,500.
    Discount if you are the victim?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,434
    edited October 2021
    Using the trains in this country is a lot like sex with an ex.

Fun at the start but then you really do regret your decisions about 10 minutes in.
  • Options

Fun at the start but then you really do regret your decisions about 10 minutes in.

And then you look up halfway through and find Jeremy Corbyn's sat on the floor.
    It's happened to us all.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I did the Caledonian sleeper last summer with the family. When we booked it was pre-Covid so we'd anticipated that dining car, late whiskies etc. As it was we were stuck in our small sleeper compartment all night and having to don masks to wander shiftily to the toilet cubicle. Yes the scenery was nice coming in towards Fort William but it was raining, so overall the trip wasn't much fun. Exciting for the children though. Would like to try it again when the dining car reopens.

My favourite train journey used to be the one at the end of half term, returning home from Hereford with an overnight bag on the slow regional train via Birmingham, seemingly always on a golden sunny late afternoon as the carriages trundled past Ledbury, Great Malvern and onwards. Not spectacular, but always very relaxing, and I was going home.

Not spectacular?! It's a splendid little ride toward - and through - the Malvern Hills. OK, it gets industrial after that - or it used to be in the 1970s.
  • Options

Leon said:

That package is £16,500.
    Seems some people have more money than sense :lol:
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimS said:

Trouble is Reeves seems to make a very good shadow chancellor. Like Brown in the 1990s. We have this tendency in politics and business to promote people out of jobs they are very good at, and sometimes that's not the right answer. Labour needs someone convincing on the economic and public finances.

She is also quite serious and downbeat (again like Brown). Not a shiny smiley optimist. Given that's also Keir's problem, ideally they would have a fun loving, cheery optimistic leader supported by the clunking fist of an all-destroying shadow CoE.

I agree with pretty much all that. Brown's leadership ambitions were his eventual downfall. Reeves should stay where she is and give substance to Labour's economic ambitions.

It's similar for the Tories, with people talking up the chances of Sunak, and to a lesser extent Truss, as next leader. Just because they're perceived as good in their current jobs doesn't mean that they'd make good leaders. In Truss's case, I think it's highly unlikely.

It's a bit like promoting the most brilliant teachers to be head teachers. It's often a disaster. Different skill sets and all that.
    Or scientists or engineers or doctors or lawyers into executive leadership. The problem is we pay executives more, when we should pay the best scientists etc... the same to keep them in the jobs where they contribute the most value.
    Being a headteacher is a thankless task, particularly at primary school level. I’m always amazed that any teacher wants to be more than a head of department (and that only so they can pick which classes they teach). If teachers could earn more and stay as teachers then I’m not sure anyone sane would want the job.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

It's happened to us all.
    My mind got stuck for a moment there - was that a grammatical solecism or a missing 'h'?
  • Options

I thought you posh former public schoolboys don't travel by train?
  • Options

I think the key learnings from today's railway debate are:

a) most PBers like trains
    b) Phillip Thompson hates trains

TSE also hates trains!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612

JBriskin3 said:

Fuck it-

I was on the same bus as Roy Hattersley in Birmingham in the 90s.

I saw Michael Foot at Newcastle station back in the 80s.

Wor Lass used the next door trap to Margaret Beckett in the Ladies at Derby station.

#Politiciansonpublictransport
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,434
    edited October 2021
    Farooq said:

It's happened to us all.
    Dating a Corbynite is fun.

As an aside, there was a cad, an absolute bounder, who was once making the beast with two backs in a hotel room at 2am, accidentally hit the remote control that was still on the bed and the TV came on.

BBC1 simulcasting with BBC News 24, and as said bounder was about to hit the jackpot there on the TV was footage of Peter Mandelson.

I still haven't recovered.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    I know the tram line to the Trafford Centre opened the day before the first lockdown in March last year, but how about the new tram services to Blackpool North station and Wolverhampton station?
  • Options

I thought you posh former public schoolboys don't travel by train?
    I'm a frequent train user.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,085
    edited October 2021
    TimS said:

Adlestropian!

Edit: beaten to it
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Not spectacular?! It's a splendid little ride toward - and through - the Malvern Hills. OK, it gets industrial after that - or it used to be in the 1970s.
    I'd call it pretty. Spectacular would require big spiky mountains, or plunging ravines. But yes I agree, a lovely ride.
  • Options

Farooq said:

It's happened to us all.
    Dating a Corbynite is fun.

As an aside, there was a cad, an absolute bounder, who was once making the beast with two backs in a hotel room at 2am, accidentally hit the remote control that was still on the bed and the TV came on.

BBC1 simulcasting with BBC News 24, and as said bounder was about to hit the jackpot there on the TV was footage of Peter Mandelson.

I still haven't recovered.
    Oh, Mandy
    Well, you came
    And you gave without taking
    But I sent you away
    Oh, Mandy
    Well, you kissed me
    And stopped me from shaking
    And I need you today
    Oh, Mandy
  • Options

TimS said:

Adlestropian!

Edit: beaten to it
    You and @Leon have something in common then.
  • Options
    Stitch up.

Disquiet in Tory circles that CCHQ say they will only consider candidates to replace James Brokenshire who got in touch BEFORE his funeral last week.

Many hopefuls held off out of respect before a hat in the ring - but party chiefs say they were "inundated" before funeral.
    Grim:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1453760128897986567
  • Options
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

TimS said:

I'd call it pretty. Spectacular would require big spiky mountains, or plunging ravines. But yes I agree, a lovely ride.
    TBF the train ride is a bit low for the really good views over Severn Vale to Cotswold Edge and its outlier hills, but then it does go through that tunnel!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,334
    JBriskin3 said:

JBriskin3 said:

Must admit I'm surprised to see the @Anabobazina meme from yesterday getting the OGH treatment.

What meme was this?
    Rachel Reeves playing a blinder.
    As a Corbynite you might expect me to disagree, but I think she's good, and also that others of my ilk are sufficiently fed up with the Tory lead that they'd be open to her if Starmer fell by the wayside.
  • Options

JBriskin3 said:

Fuck it-

I was on the same bus as Roy Hattersley in Birmingham in the 90s.

I saw Michael Foot at Newcastle station back in the 80s.

Wor Lass used the next door trap to Margaret Beckett in the Ladies at Derby station.

#Politiciansonpublictransport
    Had Gordon Brown at the back of the plane to Edinburgh a few years back. Shortly after he'd lost to Cameron. Didn't do much smiling.

Sat opposite Frances Maude on the tube. I know that's lame but it counts.

Also knocked Boris Johnson off his bike by accident while crossing Shaftsbury Avenue, back before he was Mayor of London and was just an amusing journalist.
This discussion has been closed.