Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I chose TMay as best PM to handle COVID – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The next big move would be to remove the age restrictions on booster doses and offer them to everyone 5 months after their second dose. We could conceivably get ~35m people triple jabbed before Xmas. Using my friend's suggestion of 18 weeks would make 41m people eligible by December 20th, getting 35m of those people vaccinated with three doses would be pretty easy IMO and would push us beyond the herd immunity threshold as a nation.

The flaw is that young may push out the oldsters who really may need this to stop hospitalisation.

Not really we've got something like 25m Moderna and Pfizer vaccine doses in the country and there's still another 30m Pfizer doses to be delivered this year.
    I didn't mean the supply. More the pressure to get access - as in the website is flooded, the phone lines are swamped etc.

Speaking as a 55+ year old - I have a lot less patience for bloody call centres and so on than I once did.
    The online queue was really fast when I did it for mine. The system in place now is better than when the website would stop working because of demand. I think what we really need is to bring capacity utilisation up to 90-100% like it was in the spring when we had first and second doses going at the same time. Right now it's probably not even close to half. It's a numbers game and getting as many people their third jab asap is really more important than who gets it at what point in time. Also don't forget that younger people won't be eligible to book until later in November so that gives older people a lot of time to get on with it!
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,382

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

I would have chosen Theresa May. She was conscientious and with a scientific background.
    Like most others I'd put Johnson last.

If she hadn't been so arrogant and If Corbyn had a chance of winning I'd have voted Tory for the first time in my life in 2017.

I thought she was the closest thing to Angela Merkel we've had and Merkel has to be the best European leader ever

Could you explain how Merkel making Germany reliant on Russian gas was a good idea?
    Or why if Germany has done so well they still require social distancing restrictions?
    ...because they want to continue to do well?....
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163

dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

I’m in a beautiful hotel in Sagres, Portugal - the pousada - and the service is Fawlty Towers bad. I think there are three stuff running the entire hotel and restaurant

And it is busy

This problem is obviously a worldwide issue

Spain has paradores, Portugal pousadas. Does any other country have Government hotels?
    Has anyone stayed in a Paradore? They do seem to have some in spectacular sites (e.g. Alhambra, Ronda).
    Granada is fantastic. Land of the “free” tapas. A walkable city, and of course the Alhambra. A fine place to spend a weekend or a month.
    My favourite city in Europe. By some distance.
    Did a good deal on my rented telly when I was a student too.
    Yeah, why exactly was ITV Manc called Granada?
    according to wiki because it was founded as a theatre company named after the spanish place.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

I would have chosen Theresa May. She was conscientious and with a scientific background.

If she hadn't been so arrogant and If Corbyn had a chance of winning I'd have voted Tory for the first time in my life in 2017.

I thought she was the closest thing to Angela Merkel we've had and Merkel has to be the best European leader ever

Could you explain how Merkel making Germany reliant on Russian gas was a good idea?
    Or why if Germany has done so well they still require social distancing restrictions?
    ...because they want to continue to do well?....
    Ah so they've got freedom in theory.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,583
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088

Are the runners and riders up yet for next Beeb Pol Ed?

I would go with Chris Mason.

If he wants it.

Emma Vardy as the outsider run.

Done deal? Jon Sopel apparently. Sarah Smith in the opposite direction.

Vicki Young is excellent.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    New thread
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,251
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The next big move would be to remove the age restrictions on booster doses and offer them to everyone 5 months after their second dose. We could conceivably get ~35m people triple jabbed before Xmas. Using my friend's suggestion of 18 weeks would make 41m people eligible by December 20th, getting 35m of those people vaccinated with three doses would be pretty easy IMO and would push us beyond the herd immunity threshold as a nation.

The flaw is that young may push out the oldsters who really may need this to stop hospitalisation.

Not really we've got something like 25m Moderna and Pfizer vaccine doses in the country and there's still another 30m Pfizer doses to be delivered this year.
    Strangely, the purchases were made with the aim of having more than one further dose per head of vaccinatable population.....

Has anyone started asking about 5-11 year olds, yet?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,947

dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

I’m in a beautiful hotel in Sagres, Portugal - the pousada - and the service is Fawlty Towers bad. I think there are three stuff running the entire hotel and restaurant

And it is busy

Spain has paradores, Portugal pousadas. Does any other country have Government hotels?
    Has anyone stayed in a Paradore? They do seem to have some in spectacular sites (e.g. Alhambra, Ronda).
    Granada is fantastic. Land of the “free” tapas. A walkable city, and of course the Alhambra. A fine place to spend a weekend or a month.
    according to wiki because it was founded as a theatre company named after the spanish place.
    Yeah. Was Sidney Bernstein.
    Didn't realise they were the NW and Yorkshire, till 1968. But only on weekdays.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924

A couple of epi-forecasting predictions I find fairly implausible for the UK right now:

- Daily covid case numbers going up for much longer
    - Daily covid case numbers ever reaching 100k

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1451288702454583300?s=20

This is good, but I’m not sure it will make that much difference to the pressures on the NHS. 7 day average covid admissions are 868 per day. Latest average all cause admissions are from April- August 2021 & are 17,000 a day. So covid likely represents ~5% of daily admissions…

https://twitter.com/skepticalzebra/status/1451291277929103367?s=20

"Latest average all cause admissions are from April- August 2021 & are 17,000 a day. So covid likely represents ~5% of daily admissions…"

Without data on how long people are likely to be in hospital, that statistic could be very misleading.

Imagine if the average stay in hospital for all non-Covid causes was one day, and for Covid it was 30 days. If that were the case (and I'm sure it's not I'm just exaggerating to make my point), then 60% of all the people in hospital would be there with Covid, even though they only accounted for 5% of admissions.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    edited October 2021

dixiedean said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

And it is busy

Acording to Wikipedia, "Granada originated as Granada Theatres Ltd, which owned cinemas in the south of England. It was founded in Dover in 1930 by Sidney Bernstein and his brother Cecil; it was named after the Spanish city of Granada, which Sidney had visited on a holiday.".
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957
    Robert Jenrick says ministers have been willing to turn a 'blind eye' to extremism

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1451285991768080391?s=20

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,880
    IanB2 said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

And it is busy

Yes indeed, a strange mix of usually stunning buildings, generally good food, and typically indifferent service. The overall quality of the hotel generally doesn’t rise to the quality of the architecture but they are interesting places to stay, and all different, such that generalising (such as I have just done) is difficult.
    One problem with paradores/pousadas is that even tho they often have stunning, historic exteriors, and sometimes impressive public spaces, the actual rooms can be pokey, dark, even dingy, because they were built in 1300 or for defensive reasons, etc. Not much in the way of windows or balconies

The pousada I’m in now does not have that issue. Amazing views and balconies. But it’s less than 100 years old

https://www.pestana.com/en/hotel/pousada-sagres/photos

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Andy_JS said:

Roger said:

How is an additional pipeline into Germany making them more reliant on Russian gas?
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,129

A couple of epi-forecasting predictions I find fairly implausible for the UK right now:

- Daily covid case numbers going up for much longer
    - Daily covid case numbers ever reaching 100k

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1451288702454583300?s=20

This is good, but I’m not sure it will make that much difference to the pressures on the NHS. 7 day average covid admissions are 868 per day. Latest average all cause admissions are from April- August 2021 & are 17,000 a day. So covid likely represents ~5% of daily admissions…

https://twitter.com/skepticalzebra/status/1451291277929103367?s=20

My understanding continues to be that the main problem with seriously ill Covid patients is with vaccine refusers (apparently the typical fully vaccinated person who's unlucky enough to die of this thing is now aged somewhere in their late eighties with umpteen different serious health conditions,) but that most of the detected cases are in schoolkids. The former is the main problem, but there's no sign of that causing a massive surge in hospital cases, with the total number of Covid patients in hospital having wobbled around in the 6,000-8,500 range for the whole of the last three months; the latter effectively represents a headlong dash for herd immunity in very low risk teens which, irrespective of one's views on the morality of the topic, may well yield benefits going into the Winter.

So, the main problem at this stage isn't so much the healthcare system being sunk by Covid as by flu. If the Government is eventually going to be bludgeoned into bringing back masks or worse then it's going to be in response to flu, should it turn out to be particularly bad. And they're certainly right to resist calls to go all in to suppress Covid - firstly because, based on previous experience, the catastrophist models that predict vast numbers of additional cases and hospitalisations are almost certainly well wide of the mark, and secondly because pulling lockdown levers to help ease Winter pressures on the NHS mustn't be allowed to develop into a reflex response made at the first sign of serious difficulty.

The NHS has a Winter Crisis every year. If we keep using restrictions to deal with this then the danger is that they'll also keep being brought in every year forevermore, whilst the ultimate root cause of those problems - the lack of capacity in the system - is never adequately addressed.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,088

Johnson.

Johnson just had vaccinations in his armoury. He threw everything at vaccines because he had no idea what else to do. Almost by accident he won the Covid war.

ALL the other PMs would have been far more cautious over vaccines and would have failed.

Johnson may be idle and feckless, but he bet the farm on the vaccine horse and it romped home.

Whoever off-topiced me for this post, can you explain why it is off-topic?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,911

UK cases by specimen date

Handy to have Doncaster and Rotherham adjacent on that table as well as geographically.

Because Doncaster has a two week school half term holiday (this week and next) whereas Rotherham has only next week.

And Doncaster's infection numbers have fallen this week.

Similarly there are falls in Bassetlaw and Mansfield (two weeks) but not in Bolsover and Chesterfield (next week only).
    How come it has a two week half term? I have never heard of that before.
    Our kids' school has a 2 week half term in October.
    Yes, but why? Are schools at liberty to set their own holidays willy-nilly? I have never heard of two week autumn half term breaks before today.
  • Options

kjh said:

Stocky said:

Foxy said:

kjh said:

Although I think the current Govt has been hopeless on Track and Trace and the timing of decisions one should give credit where credit is due and they were very good on the Vaccine and of course there were the Nightingale Hospitals. They weren't needed, but if they had been it could have been the difference between complete meltdown and controlled chaos. Because they weren't needed we didn't really see how good a job they had done and on the face of it, it was good.

The problem of the Nightingales was staffing. This why they had next to no patients.
    Is it feasible for there to be a specific new role - entitled Covid nurses or something - and fast-track a bunch of recruits who are trained to be expert in best-practice Covid patient management but lack any wider training? And staff-up the Nightingales with them.

(This could be a random brain-fart, in which case sos.)
    Agree. Foxy has much more knowledge than us on how staff was stretched but if we were in in complete disaster mode, even if completely unsatisfactory, an understaffed and under skilled operation is better than just dying at home, a bit like on a war footing. FYI my wife and her medical colleagues all approached her employer about being released to help and it was considered but it was decided they were more useful where they were. If things had got a lot worse things may have changed. She is a doctor but a pathologist, now involved in drug safety and has not been involved with the NHS and patients for decades, but I am sure she could have been useful if it was really needed in a nursing or junior doctor role.
    The propaganda at the time was that people with first aid training - like air cabin staff - were being brought in to provide the bulk of the staff for the Nightingales, with a small number of hospital professionals to act in a supervisory role.
    Just bear in mind that the Nightingales were for the not-very-sick, so that existing hospitals could deal with the very sick, I think people had it in mind at the time that it was the other way around.
  • Options

Johnson.

Johnson just had vaccinations in his armoury. He threw everything at vaccines because he had no idea what else to do. Almost by accident he won the Covid war.

ALL the other PMs would have been far more cautious over vaccines and would have failed.

Johnson may be idle and feckless, but he bet the farm on the vaccine horse and it romped home.

Whoever off-topiced me for this post, can you explain why it is off-topic?
    That has happened to me on occasions and I hope it is fat fingers and not anything else
  • Options
    Liverpool now toying with United
This discussion has been closed.