Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP’s attempt to block the scrapping of roaming ccharges w

Comments

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Public opinion as expressed in newspaper comments seems heartedly sick of Muslims crying about being victimised.

Plato.. maybe we should do what the Yanks have done..kick em out... if they don't like it then eff off..I think the tolerance level in the normally placid UK is rapidly reaching tipping level..

You are instinctively anti-Muslim, aren't you ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Listening to Pulp's 'Common People' on TOTP2 last night, it suddenly occurred to me that Jarvis Cocker had summed up labour's problems in one handy three minute song.
  • Options

Plato.. maybe we should do what the Yanks have done..kick em out... if they don't like it then eff off..I think the tolerance level in the normally placid UK is rapidly reaching tipping level..

Since the discrimination was done by US officials , a class action could be brought in US courts .maybe ?
  • Options
    ''Since the discrimination was done by US officials , a class action could be brought in US courts .maybe ? ''

Does this mean that if Trump gets in we are looking at the mother of all lawsuits??
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited December 2015

You damaged your credibility enormously with that quote - and it wasn't a one off. When a poster equates Tories with Nazis several times - well what do you expect?

justin124 said:

And you quote *Arbeit macht frei* to describe Tories.

Forgive me whilst I doubt your impartiality.

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:
    I agree with Bernard Ingham.

Perhaps I should f*ck off and join the Tories. I might actually.
    Sir Bernard was press Secretary to Barbara Castle and Tony Benn in his civil service days before becoming Margaret Thatcher's press secretary and used to be a member of the Labour Party before he joined the civil service
    But Ingham came across as very partisan- in no sense did he appear a neutral civil servant as Thatcher's Press Secretary - much more like Alastair Campbell.
    But I don't claim to be an impartial civil servant!

I have also made it clear that there are some Tories I had far more time for than New Labour - -eg - Harold Macmillan - RA Butler - Iain Macleod - Edward Boyle - even Ted Heath.
    On the other hand Tories such as the Member for Telford are very likely to have an Arbeit Macht Frei attitude to workers - indeed it is implicit in how she has treated her own staff.
    That simply reflects the ignorance of those who failed to see them in context. Most people immediately assume that Arbeit Macht Frei must refer to the Holocaust whereas historically it predates that by 9 years. Concentration camps were set up in Germany to imprison Communists , Social Democrats and Trade Unionists in 1933. Drawing a parallel with such acts and Tory measures to effectively castrate Trade Unions so that they can barely function is entirely reasonable.
    After all , it was Theresa May who referred to her own party as 'the nasty party'. She was right some Tories are very nasty indeed - some are in Parliament - indeed some contribute to this blog . I do not deny,however, that such people are also to be found in the Labour and LibDem parties.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''The Americans have the right to admit who they like, I know white Christian UK citizens, with no criminal records, being rejected from entering. ''

Perhaps moderate muslims in the west might be more inclined to oppose extremists when the crimes of the radicals affect their own lives more deeply.

Then again, they might blame Western governments desperately trying to protect their citizens from slaughter by terrorists.

Can we keep out US citizens who possess firearms ? Simply because we don't like it. Of course, most of those idiots don't know what a foreign country is like !
  • Options
    I got 17/24, though I maintain the correct answer to question 7 is "because he's Ed Miliband".
  • Options
    17/24. - gutted, how could I not have known Jeremy loves making jam....
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Keep digging. No one bar you thinks that's some intellectual justification argument. It's very obvious why you equated the two.
    justin124 said:

You damaged your credibility enormously with that quote - and it wasn't a one off. When a poster equates Tories with Nazis several times - well what do you expect?

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Sir Bernard was press Secretary to Barbara Castle and Tony Benn in his civil service days before becoming Margaret Thatcher's press secretary and used to be a member of the Labour Party before he joined the civil service
    But Ingham came across as very partisan- in no sense did he appear a neutral civil servant as Thatcher's Press Secretary - much more like Alastair Campbell.

I have also made it clear that there are some Tories I had far more time for than New Labour - -eg - Harold Macmillan - RA Butler - Iain Macleod - Edward Boyle - even Ted Heath.
    On the other hand Tories such as the Member for Telford are very likely to have an Arbeit Macht Frei attitude to workers - indeed it is implicit in how she has treated her own staff.
    That simply reflects the ignorance of those who failed to see them in context. Most people immediately assume that Arbeit Macht Frei must refer to the Holocaust whereas historically it predates that by 9 years. Concentration camps were set up in Germany to imprison Communists , Social Democrats and Trade Unionists in 1933. Drawing a parallel with such acts and Tory measures to effectively castrate Trade Unions so that they can barely function is entirely reasonable.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Since the discrimination was done by US officials , a class action could be brought in US courts .maybe ? ''

Does this mean that if Trump gets in we are looking at the mother of all lawsuits??

Unless Congress votes to change US law. What Trump said and the officials did was contrary to US law. You can only hide behind "National security" for so long. How a 6 year old is a threat no one knows.
  • Options
    ''Drawing a parallel with such acts and Tory measures to effectively castrate Trade Unions so that they can barely function is entirely reasonable. ''

Contemptible comment of a complete ignoramus.

Trade unionists in modern Britain enjoy a wide range of personal and collective protections - as do their workers.

It amazes me there are people who are so poorly educated they cannot tell the basic differences between a dictatorship and a democracy.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Drawing a parallel with such acts and Tory measures to effectively castrate Trade Unions so that they can barely function is entirely reasonable. ''

Trade unionists in modern Britain enjoy a wide range of personal and collective protections - as do their workers.

It amazes me there are people who are so poorly educated they cannot tell the basic differences between a dictatorship and a democracy.

"Trade unionists in modern Britain enjoy a wide range of personal and collective protections - as do their workers. "

EU, many thanks !
  • Options
    I got that one - but failed enough to score 14. I guess my WTF-o-meter was red-lining.

17/24. - gutted, how could I not have known Jeremy loves making jam....
  • Options
    ''Unless Congress votes to change US law. What Trump said and the officials did was contrary to US law. ''

You seem to have far more faith in the US democratic system than many people on the left. I applaud you.
  • Options

Keep digging. No one bar you thinks that's some intellectual justification argument. It's very obvious why you equated the two.

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

That reflects your own ignorance.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,887
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

Yes but his background is from the traditional Labour working class
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    rcs1000:

Robert, received your email yesterday. Many thanks.

Obviously, as you would expect, I agree with everything you say. The only additional bit to the falling prices of solar panels and storage cost of batteries, I would add, is the need to reduce transmission costs of electricity through super-conductivity.

As quoted many times, only a little bit of the Sahara can light up Europe except how do you bring the electricity cheaply ?

However, like solar panels the Germans will be at it; from 2022 no more nuclear and those wind farms are a thousand kilometres to the North. So they would need to find cheaper ways to bring the electricity to BW and BA.

Cameron also signed an agreement to bring Icelandic electricity to Scotland.

Once, the super-conductivity is solved or system loss greatly reduced. oil will be as unfashionable as coal. It would probably used in petro-chem and "old" cars !

• Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

So ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

So ?
    Ie exactly the demographic Thatcher began to make inroads into and Corbyn turns off
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,744
    surbiton said:

Public opinion as expressed in newspaper comments seems heartedly sick of Muslims crying about being victimised.

And you want to turn the UK into a Dhimmi society so Labour are perpetually voted into office.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,426
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You're not a historian, so I suppose your attitude is understandable. If you understood the concepts, y...d the current push for military domination (a feature of all declining empires) is a last ditch attempt to avert historical inevitability.

An historian would understand that history is the study of the past - not the study of the past and hypothetical near future.

When you go on holiday, do you stay at an hotel?
    Historian begins with a weak first consonant, the emphasis in the first syllable is on the 'ist' - it is therefore commonly preceeded by 'an'.

The H in hotel is slightly less weak (but not exactly strong). I do tend to say 'an'otel'. For those who pronounce the h more, 'a HO-tel' works fine.

No, the stress in "historian" is on the "tor", not the "ist". hiss-TOR-ee-an.

Yes, I suppose if you drop the "h" then "an-iss-tor-ee-an" is correct in speech. But it looks very wrong in writing.
    You think? I think it grates when preceded by an 'a' -

The emphasis in the first syllable is on the 'ist', and that is what matters here.
    "ist" is not in the first syllable. The first syllable is "his".

The H is there - you can't wish it away. If you pronounce "an historian" carefully, you stumble over the transition between the words just as much as you do if you try to say "an banana". In speech you can elide the H away, but you can't in writing.
    Well, all historians I know would disagree with you. They would both write and say an historian; as has been convention for several centuries.
    They're living in the past. "An historian" and "an historic" grate, but I wouldn't correct someone who used them. Unless they "corrected" someone who used the modern form. I'll refer you to Fowler, and leave it there I think.
    I wouldn't usually correct either - but when someone claims to be 'a historian' then spouts a load of ahistorical rubbish, it seems apposite :-)))

We'll agree to disagree - Fowler; what was his period, again?
    Shouldn't that be anhistorical?

Oh look! My coat!
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

I am aware of that - and that he was a Labour local election candidate in Leeds in 1965. Nevertheless , I would have thought his behaviour as Thatcher's Press Secretary seriously breached the Civil Service Code of Conduct in terms of partiality. His references to John Biffen as 'being semi -detached' are what might have been expected from an active party politician rather than a supposedly neutral civil servant.
  • Options
    I'd be interested in someone listing what Islam Has Done For Us in the last 1500yrs.

I'm struggling.
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

And you want to turn the UK into a Dhimmi society so Labour are perpetually voted into office.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

After all , it was Theresa May who referred to her own party as 'the nasty party'. She was right some Tories are very nasty indeed - some are in Parliament - indeed some contribute to this blog . I do not deny,however, that such people are also to be found in the Labour and LibDem parties.
    When did the Tories last imprison Trade unionists en masse?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

That reflects your own ignorance.
    Once a phrase is emblazoned over the gates of the most notorious death camp in the history of the world that usage will trump every other one forever. That's just common sense.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

"Trade unionists in modern Britain enjoy a wide range of personal and collective protections - as do their workers. "

EU, many thanks !
    How democratic... Relying on the EU to force through laws which noone voted for at a national level.

Trade union rights have been under constant attack by the EU, e.g. the suspension of collective bargaining as a condition of receiving a bailout, the right to establishment being used to erode workers rights, etc.

It could be argued that the EU is not on the side of workers. They have promoted the use of zero hours contracts. Encouraged the privatisation of public services, e.g. postal services. Prevented state aid being used to support certain industries.
  • Options

I'd be interested in someone listing what Islam Has Done For Us in the last 1500yrs.

I'm struggling.

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

Lets take Astronomy as an example. About half the stars were discovered and named by Muslims.

Another one: Algebra.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

They have taken a different route by seeking to castrate them so as to make it near impossible for them to function.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rcs1000:

Obviously, as you would expect, I agree with everything you say. The only additional bit to the falling prices of solar panels and storage cost of batteries, I would add, is the need to reduce transmission costs of electricity through super-conductivity.

As quoted many times, only a little bit of the Sahara can light up Europe except how do you bring the electricity cheaply ?

However, like solar panels the Germans will be at it; from 2022 no more nuclear and those wind farms are a thousand kilometres to the North. So they would need to find cheaper ways to bring the electricity to BW and BA.

Once, the super-conductivity is solved or system loss greatly reduced. oil will be as unfashionable as coal. It would probably used in petro-chem and "old" cars !

Once high temperature superconductivity is solved, it doesn't just help power transmission, there are so many uses for it. Even the storage issues are slowly being resolved, the new Magnesium-Sulphur battery looks very promising and it uses cheap magnesium instead of expensive lithium.

I think we should be looking into tidal power, the Severn and Thames barrage projects both need another look. I'm not really in favour of nuclear as it stands, the on-time is poor, the development and lead time is poor, the level of subsidy required is high and the project is being funded by a nation which is not aligned to our global interests and that is pretty worrying.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000:

Once high temperature superconductivity is solved, it doesn't just help power transmission, there are so many uses for it. Even the storage issues are slowly being resolved, the new Magnesium-Sulphur battery looks very promising and it uses cheap magnesium instead of expensive lithium.

I think we should be looking into tidal power, the Severn and Thames barrage projects both need another look. I'm not really in favour of nuclear as it stands, the on-time is poor, the development and lead time is poor, the level of subsidy required is high and the project is being funded by a nation which is not aligned to our global interests and that is pretty worrying.
    Yup. Robert's draft paper goes into much detail. The main thrust is when a new technology comes in, the dominant old one still feels content.

Anyone know what happened to Kodak ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I'm struggling.

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

Lets take Astronomy as an example. About half the stars were discovered and named by Muslims.

Products of their golden age which lasted up until the 15th century. Plato should have said since 1500, since 1500yrs covers the entire history of Islam.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

They have taken a different route by seeking to castrate them so as to make it near impossible for them to function.
    I note that you avoided my question

And seriously, "near impossible to function"? Get a grip.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

I am aware of that - and that he was a Labour local election candidate in Leeds in 1965. Nevertheless , I would have thought his behaviour as Thatcher's Press Secretary seriously breached the Civil Service Code of Conduct in terms of partiality. His references to John Biffen as 'being semi -detached' are what might have been expected from an active party politician rather than a supposedly neutral civil servant.
    With the possible exception of Joe Haines, Wilson's press secretary, he was the first real spin doctor for a PM
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

EU, many thanks !
    How democratic... Relying on the EU to force through laws which noone voted for at a national level.

Trade union rights have been under constant attack by the EU, e.g. the suspension of collective bargaining as a condition of receiving a bailout, the right to establishment being used to erode workers rights, etc.

It could be argued that the EU is not on the side of workers. They have promoted the use of zero hours contracts. Encouraged the privatisation of public services, e.g. postal services. Prevented state aid being used to support certain industries.
    Your democratic deficit will be solved next year.

C'mon Cam, WE are with you on this one.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Wanderer said

'Once a phrase is emblazoned over the gates of the most notorious death camp in the history of the world that usage will trump every other one forever. That's just common sense.'

But sophisticated people - versed in history - can reasonably be expected to know something about the origin of the phrase - particularly in the context of a discussion relating to the removal of basic Trade Union rights!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000:

Yup. Robert's draft paper goes into much detail. The main thrust is when a new technology comes in, the dominant old one still feels content.

Sony with physical media vs digital comes to mind as well.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    justin124 said:

But sophisticated people - versed in history - can reasonably be expected to know something about the origin of the phrase - particularly in the context of a discussion relating to the removal of basic Trade Union rights!

Actually, according to Wikipedia that phrase has its origins in the late 19th century, suggesting that gamblers and fraudsters can be rehabilitated through manual labour.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

I'm struggling.

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

Products of their golden age which lasted up until the 15th century. Plato should have said since 1500, since 1500yrs covers the entire history of Islam.
    The Golden age of Islam is over. The Wahabi obscurantists oppose any form of free thought or scientific progress. They are fossilising Islam as a sort of psychopathic Amish.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,623
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

But the UK in 2015 has almost nothing in common with Germany in 1933. The government hasn't shut down trade unions or rival political parties, fired Jews from the civil service or organised boycotts, or interned people in concentration camps. Nor does it have a paramilitary wing that murders and beats up it's rivals.

So, it's a daft comparison.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,496
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

You're not a historian, so I suppose your attitude is understandable. If you understood the concepts, y...d the current push for military domination (a feature of all declining empires) is a last ditch attempt to avert historical inevitability.

An historian would understand that history is the study of the past - not the study of the past and hypothetical near future.

Historian begins with a weak first consonant, the emphasis in the first syllable is on the 'ist' - it is therefore commonly preceeded by 'an'.

The H in hotel is slightly less weak (but not exactly strong). I do tend to say 'an'otel'. For those who pronounce the h more, 'a HO-tel' works fine.

Yes, I suppose if you drop the "h" then "an-iss-tor-ee-an" is correct in speech. But it looks very wrong in writing.

The emphasis in the first syllable is on the 'ist', and that is what matters here.

The H is there - you can't wish it away. If you pronounce "an historian" carefully, you stumble over the transition between the words just as much as you do if you try to say "an banana". In speech you can elide the H away, but you can't in writing.
    Well, all historians I know would disagree with you. They would both write and say an historian; as has been convention for several centuries.
    They're living in the past. "An historian" and "an historic" grate, but I wouldn't correct someone who used them. Unless they "corrected" someone who used the modern form. I'll refer you to Fowler, and leave it there I think.
    I wouldn't usually correct either - but when someone claims to be 'a historian' then spouts a load of ahistorical rubbish, it seems apposite :-)))

Yet strangely enough you didn't pick me up on any of the 'ahistorical rubbish', you chose instead to highlight what you believe to be a grammatical error. Rather transparent.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,623
    surbiton said:

taffys said:

EU, many thanks !
    Most statutory trade union - or employee - rights either predate EU membership, or are independent of it.
  • Options
    And the anti-Rhodes/Confederate statue fundies are just the same, with less violence.

RobD said:

surbiton said:

I'm struggling.

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

The Golden age of Islam is over. The Wahabi obscurantists oppose any form of free thought or scientific progress. They are fossilising Islam as a sort of psychopathic Amish.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited December 2015
    surbiton said:

And you are a clueless shyte of the Wee-Timmy ilk. Why not take on a male-poster for once...?
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Yet strangely enough you didn't pick me up on any of the 'ahistorical rubbish', you chose instead to highlight what you believe to be a grammatical error. Rather transparent.
    Perhaps there was simply too much ahistorical rubbish to correct you on. ;)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000:

Kodak isn't really a relevant example. They did get into digital photography, but couldn't dominate the category in the mind because they were a print photography brand.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,528
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000:

I think Polaroid is more apposite. Kodak is doing reasonably well with printers, I understand.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Perhaps there was simply too much ahistorical rubbish to correct you on. ;)

Since most of his day has been spent discussing whether or not you should use 'a' or 'an' preceding the word 'historian', I doubt that was a consideration.
  • Options

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000:

Kodak isn't really a relevant example. They did get into digital photography, but couldn't dominate the category in the mind because they were a print photography brand.
    They invented digital photography (or at least the first digital camera), but were so convinced as to the future of film, they were slow in moving to digital. Sounds like they were content to me.
  • Options
    Credit where credit is due that's a very pleasing Christian Christmas message from David Cameron.

Plenty of social conservatives would be happy if he echoed these words in his speeches, policies and deeds throughout the year, rather than just at Christmas.
  • Options
    On the subject of h, maybe I'm weird but use the pronunciation maxim. Herbs can be an, a soft e sound. Hotel is a hard h, so a hotel.

I'd never say an historian.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    taffys said:

Listening to Pulp's 'Common People' on TOTP2 last night, it suddenly occurred to me that Jarvis Cocker had summed up labour's problems in one handy three minute song.

Treat yourself to Cocaine Socialism on YouTube, Jarvis certainly had their number
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Not-quite-F1: some murmuring Coulthard might join the resurrected corpse of Top Gear.

Actually, if you remove Evans, the lineup looks alright.
  • Options

Credit where credit is due that's a very pleasing Christian Christmas message from David Cameron.

Plenty of social conservatives would be happy if he echoed these words in his speeches, policies and deeds throughout the year, rather than just at Christmas.

Absolutely - in practice he heads a thoroughly unchristian government determined to make the poor and oppressed suffer whilst pampering the fortunate.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000:

They invented digital photography (or at least the first digital camera), but were so convinced as to the future of film, they were slow in moving to digital. Sounds like they were content to me.
    Scitex and Fuji: The rest is CCD and colour-filters.

The Septics did have IRIS proofers though....
  • Options

RobD said:

surbiton said:

I'm struggling.

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

And amazingly we are allied with the state(s) that are exporting Wahabist terror to other Islamic nations. We are selling them £20bn in arms over the next 10 years or something like that. Our policy in the middle east is a complete mess and it has been for as long as I can remember. No leader has the balls to stand up to Saudi Arabia and Qatar and tell them to do one, we don't want their oil or their money until they stop exporting extremist and violent Islam through the Islamic world.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    j124 Time for you to get a life...
  • Options
    It’s Christmas. Maybe you’re home with the family, maybe you’re still at work. Either way, you’re bored and need to kill some time.
    Presenting the perfect, mental-state-ruining solution: a puzzle that will confuse you to the point where you have serious doubts about your own intelligence. Fun times.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/12/24/can-you-solve-this-truly-evil-puzzle-5583995/#ixzz3vFTvIgKs
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

I'm struggling.

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

And amazingly we are allied with the state(s) that are exporting Wahabist terror to other Islamic nations. We are selling them £20bn in arms over the next 10 years or something like that. Our policy in the middle east is a complete mess and it has been for as long as I can remember. No leader has the balls to stand up to Saudi Arabia and Qatar and tell them to do one, we don't want their oil or their money until they stop exporting extremist and violent Islam through the Islamic world.
    Are you left-handed? If so can I sell you a standard can-opener...?

The Saudis cannot get their production-lines up-and-running: Hence they have struggled beyond the initial twenty-four.

:the-t'itnernet-tis-a-wonderful-thing-use-it:
  • Options

It has the usual suspects up in arms, so good work Cameron.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    justin124 said:

Absolutely - in practice he heads a thoroughly unchristian government determined to make the poor and oppressed suffer whilst pampering the fortunate.
    Of course you have spent the whole year helping the poor and oppressed.. by voting Labour, of course voting Labour doesn't help the poor and oppressed..
  • Options
    Mistletoe seems to miraculously stay green all winter, and this is "the fundamental basis of all mid-winter traditions relating to mistletoe,” says Jonathan Briggs, a mistletoe expert and consultant. But it keeps that lively green color by stealing water and soil minerals from its host tree.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/12/151218-mistletoe-christmas-holiday-kissing-parasite-birds-cancer/
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,014
    I'm on a train! It has wifi! Woo!
  • Options
    Mr. Viewcode, is that unusual?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

That simply reflects the ignorance of those who failed to see them in context. Most people immediately assume that Arbeit Macht Frei must refer to the Holocaust whereas historically it predates that by 9 years.

Using the phrase "Arbeit Macht Frei" and expecting the reader to think "1931 usage" is like using the phrase "bumptious creepy American politician with hair transplants" and expecting them to think "Joe Biden". The presence of an overwhelmingly more famous alternative context renders the usage otiose.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,528

justin124 said:

Of course you have spent the whole year helping the poor and oppressed.. by voting Labour, of course voting Labour doesn't help the poor and oppressed..
    I think Justin 124's comment is perfectly justified and no I don't vote Labour. Square Root's comments..... typical snidey, assumption making Tory....... did nothing for my Christmas spirit
  • Options

Mr. Viewcode, is that unusual?

I am not an expert on trains: I must refer you to m'learned colleague Dr Prasannan.

However, it is unusual for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Gravis GOP Iowa

Cruz 31, Trump 31, Rubio 9, Carson 7, Bush 4, Paul 1, Fiorina 3, Huckabee 4, Christie 2, Kasich 2, Santorum 0, Pataki 1, Graham 1

Democrats Clinton 49, Sanders 31, O'Malley 10
    http://gravismarketing.com/polling-and-market-research/current-iowa-polling-3
  • Options
    Mr. Viewcode, I'm reasonably sure Hannibal's elephants didn't have wifi.

That said, they did operate in all weathers.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

surbiton said:

taffys said:

EU, many thanks !
    Most statutory trade union - or employee - rights either predate EU membership, or are independent of it.
    The EU is a Universal Villain. Anything good it does must be dismissed as "would have happened anyway". Anything bad that happens must be blamed on it no matter how implausibly.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2015
    42% of UK energy currently being provided by wind or nuclear:

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
  • Options
    Mr. Viewcode, cuts the other way too. Without the EU, 3m jobs might vanish! How would we ever visit other countries, or extradite terrorist suspects from them, without the EU? Etc etc.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I'm on a train! It has wifi! Woo!

...and in a few minutes I must get off it. A moving carriage traversing the countryside at tens of miles per hour whilst ensuring contact via an "internet". Ah, truly miracles and wonders...

..and on that note: Merry Xmas, y'all...:-)
  • Options
    I think that we should have a PB Christmas or New Year quiz. To start things off , here is my offering.
    Of the 356 successful Labour candidates in the GE 2005 and by election of 29.09.05 how many were later sentenced to terms of imprisonment?
    Name them
    Merry Christmas to one and all.
  • Options
    dyingswan said:

I think that we should have a PB Christmas or New Year quiz. To start things off , here is my offering.
    Of the 356 successful Labour candidates in the GE 2005 and by election of 29.09.05 how many were later sentenced to terms of imprisonment?
    Name them

I fear you have just given us all a massive hint as to the identity of one of them :D
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 68,706
    edited December 2015
    justin124 said:

Justin, I have a doctorate in History. I have taught on Nazi Germany for several years. I speak German, admittedly not perfectly. I have run school trips to Germany. If I am not precisely an expert on Nazi Germany, I have a better then merely working knowledge of the context.

If somebody uses the phrase 'Arbeit macht Frei,' I would associate it primarily with Auschwitz. Which rather shoots your ignorance argument to pieces.

Of course, context should be added to this. Arbeit macht Frei is over the gate of Auschwitz, the majority of whose inmates were Polish, rather than Birkenau, which was a dedicated extermination camp mostly connected with Jews (the whole complex is called 'Auschwitz-Birkenau'). Because of course work did not make the Jews free - only death would make them free, and 'Starben macht frei' would have been a little too honest even for Himmler, who made no particular secret of what he was doing. (It's not as though it made anyone else free either, of course, but that's a different point and I haven't time to go into the reasons for the Nazi anxiety to lie on this point.)

Even if however your somewhat convoluted justification had merit, the premise is ridiculous. Within three months of taking power the Nazis had arrested 4000 political opponents, including trades unionists, and passed the Enabling Act to allow them to control many more - ultimately, they forcibly merged all labour movements into one grouping controlled by the SS, which was about as effectual in terms of labour rights as Ed Miliband's Labour party (that is, not at all). Telling the unions that they cannot automatically assume that their members wish to have their money used to prop up a moribund political party (led, in an ironic twist, by a man who voluntarily associates with Holocaust Deniers) falls an awfully long way short of that.
  • Options
    Nothing says Christmas spirit like discussing concentration camps and Nazi slogans :p
  • Options

Nothing says Christmas spirit like discussing concentration camps and Nazi slogans :p

Eet is a vay of makink us talk, Meester Dancer! :smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

With the possible exception of Joe Haines, Wilson's press secretary, he was the first real spin doctor for a PM
    But was Joe Haines a civil servant?
  • Options
    Cat videos remain popular on Twitter :smiley:

• Options
    CLAPS
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

Justin, I have a doctorate in History. I have taught on Nazi Germany for several years. I speak German, admittedly not perfectly. I have run school trips to Germany. If I am not precisely an expert on Nazi Germany, I have a better then merely working knowledge of the context.

If somebody uses the phrase 'Arbeit macht Frei,' I would associate it primarily with Auschwitz. Which rather shoots your ignorance argument to pieces.

Of course, context should be added to this. Arbeit macht Frei is over the gate of Auschwitz, the majority of whose inmates were Polish, rather than Birkenau, which was a dedicated extermination camp mostly connected with Jews (the whole complex is called 'Auschwitz-Birkenau'). Because of course work did not make the Jews free - only death would make them free, and 'Starben macht frei' would have been a little too honest even for Himmler, who made no particular secret of what he was doing. (It's not as though it made anyone else free either, of course, but that's a different point and I haven't time to go into the reasons for the Nazi anxiety to lie on this point.)

Even if however your somewhat convoluted justification had merit, the premise is ridiculous. Within three months of taking power the Nazis had arrested 4000 political opponents, including trades unionists, and passed the Enabling Act to allow them to control many more - ultimately, they forcibly merged all labour movements into one grouping controlled by the SS, which was about as effectual in terms of labour rights as Ed Miliband's Labour party (that is, not at all). Telling the unions that they cannot automatically assume that their members wish to have their money used to prop up a moribund political party (led, in an ironic twist, by a man who voluntarily associates with Holocaust Deniers) falls an awfully long way short of that.
  • Options

j124 Time for you to get a life...

Time for you to develop a conscience - though I realise that thinking of others is not a natural Tory trait.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    dyingswan said:

Name them

Five. Jim Devine, Eric Illsley, David Chaytor, Elliot Morley, Denis ("Gabble") MacShane.

Margaret Moran didn't get sentenced to imprisonment because she cried a lot.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

If I remember rightly, he was a journalist by profession but as head of the Press Office at No. 10 he was officially a civil servant, appointed outwith the official structures and therefore greatly resented and generally mocked by them. I think it was one of the reasons there was a lot of tension between the Wilson government and the Civil Service that was later so brilliantly portrayed in Yes Minister.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Happy Note Post: Those wishing to be miserable should read no further.

This morning we went to visit a cousin and her husband in Chichester and he gave me the best Christmas present I am likely to get this year - a sight of his household accounts. Last February he installed solar panels on a south facing roof for the next three quarters he received a cheque from EDF, the total received for the first three quarters was a shade under £400 (the fourth quarter is going to be weaker than the rest, covering as it does November, December and January). Furthermore he has installed a heat exchanger in his garden which provides central heating and hot water so successfully that he has been able to remove completely his gas boiler. For both installations he is looking at a 10 year payback period on equipment with a twenty year life, the figures as far as I could see really do stack up.

Now, in the new year the feed in tariff is going to be chopped because it is felt the subsidies have done their job. We can argue about that but I do have a large South facing roof, because of the annex cat-slide it is much larger than most houses of a comparable size. So, on fag packet calculations I reckon I could still make it pay. The lure of no electric or gas bills for the rest of my life in return for a, not insignificant, lump sum up-front is very tempting.

The point of posting this happy tale is to tap into the famous PB expertise - we have experts on just about anything on this site - are solar panels and heat exchangers really worth the cost or has my cousin been had over and I am missing something?
  • Options
    Onthecouchagain
    For any Christians who missed a message from #Corbyn just swap Muslim for Christian in this one for Eid. Job done. https://t.co/A57tGbGXmL
  • Options
    Mr. Cwsc, she's not alone in that.

Miss Plato, what do cats makes of Christmas trees?
  • Options

surbiton said:

And you are a clueless shyte of the Wee-Timmy ilk. Why not take on a male-poster for once...?
    The Platonistas here immediately bullies anyone daring to criticise Plato by calling him/her misogynist. Plato is probably the most un-feminist female [ assuming she is one ] in PB. She hardly represents the female sex. Her tirades makes it quite clear that she looks after number one.
  • Options
    My avatar says it all. :smiley:

And from Twitter
    If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance

Mr. Cwsc, she's not alone in that.

Miss Plato, what do cats makes of Christmas trees?

• Options
    As a final footnote to my earlier comment on trade unions in Germany under the Nazis, it is quite remarkable to realise that the Nazis had the labour movement so tightly wrapped up and controlled that there were fewer strikes in Germany in the Second World War than there were in Britain - despite the fact that (1) the Labour movement in Britain, personified by Ernest Bevin as Minister for Labour, had no hesitation in supporting the war and (2) the German people suffered far more than the British from shortages, wage cuts, labour problems and bombing raids.

When this fact was uncovered in the late 1980s, inverting all Marxist previous notions of the solidarity of Labour against Marxism and the primacy of the efforts of the working class as a mover of great events, the shock was so great that one prominent MArxist historian - Timothy Mason - actually killed himself.

That's a really cheerful thought for Christmas, Mr Dancer!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,217
    edited December 2015
    Mr. Surbiton, you may be interested in this excellent post, by me, about Macedonian ladies in the 4th century BC:
    http://thaddeusthesixth.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/macedonian-she-wolves.html

Edited extra bit: Mr. Doethur, that seems like an excessive reaction.

Miss Plato, I think I RTed the same one (although things like that often get repeated).
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

As ydoethur suggests he effectively became one
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

I'm struggling.

MaxPB said:

surbiton said:

Plato is not that informed. Her prejudices stops her from learning a bit more.
    Note I only mentioned Astronomy, Algebra.....
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    Apologies for butting in but is there going to be a crossword tomorrow?
  • Options

Happy Note Post: Those wishing to be miserable should read no further.

This morning we went to visit a cousin and her husband in Chichester and he gave me the best Christmas present I am likely to get this year - a sight of his household accounts. Last February he installed solar panels on a south facing roof for the next three quarters he received a cheque from EDF, the total received for the first three quarters was a shade under £400 (the fourth quarter is going to be weaker than the rest, covering as it does November, December and January). Furthermore he has installed a heat exchanger in his garden which provides central heating and hot water so successfully that he has been able to remove completely his gas boiler. For both installations he is looking at a 10 year payback period on equipment with a twenty year life, the figures as far as I could see really do stack up.

Now, in the new year the feed in tariff is going to be chopped because it is felt the subsidies have done their job. We can argue about that but I do have a large South facing roof, because of the annex cat-slide it is much larger than most houses of a comparable size. So, on fag packet calculations I reckon I could still make it pay. The lure of no electric or gas bills for the rest of my life in return for a, not insignificant, lump sum up-front is very tempting.

The point of posting this happy tale is to tap into the famous PB expertise - we have experts on just about anything on this site - are solar panels and heat exchangers really worth the cost or has my cousin been had over and I am missing something?

I do have 12 solar panels on my new house but they were put in as a freebie (by the previous owner, not me) so I get the power but not the feed-in tariff. Given how often I am out during the day that's not a great deal from my point of view, but equally they do seem to kick off quite a lot of power even in the winter - they will run some heavy stuff (washing machine) and have power left over. For somebody who is likely to spend more time at home in the hours of light I would have thought they would be a shrewd investment if you have the money.

On that, a note of caution - a friend of mine who is very interested in all this kind of thing (he used to run a group called Transition for the local area) told me that solar panels were very good financially too, as long as you had the capital sum to put down for them. He reckoned he got about a 4% return on them under the old tariff, which was not bad. However, he added that if he had had to borrow, it would certainly not have been worth it unless interest rates remained ridiculously low for approximately 20 years.

Hope that is of use. Merry Christmas thinking it over.
  • Options
    All ukip threads should have this.. or a better quality version if possible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeuYZEtgTHQ
  • Options

Mr. Viewcode, I'm reasonably sure Hannibal's elephants didn't have wifi.

That said, they did operate in all weathers.

Perhaps you can help me with this.
    Did Hannibal use a type of elephant which is now extinct in Africa? I ask because I understand that only Indian elephants can be mastered whereas the African variety is too recalcitrant.
  • Options
    Poor teenager @surbiton. Thinks he's Big and Clever.
  • Options

I know! I love a good scrap, but I think we should lay aside calling each other Nazis (or whatever) until after the festivities.
This discussion has been closed.