Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » UKIP’s attempt to block the scrapping of roaming ccharges w

Comments

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,678
    @Plato_Says It's when I read rubbish like that from Corbyn's admirers that I realise his is a religious rather than a political cult. It's as bad as reading some of the freaky apologetics stuff from an American fundie. Who cares about things like facts and the evidence when you can have 'faith of the heart'?

Very appropriate for Christmas though - how about 'wie schönen leuchtet den Morgenstern' as their new motto? Only thing is nobody would accuse Milne, McDonnell and the Jezziah of being three wise men...
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,617

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

If people decide their votes based on this, we may well be entering an Angeli period of decay.

It's like deciding whether to retain the union based on train ticket prices.

My decision will be made on the vision of Britain's future that most appeals to me (or, more accurately, that sounds least appalling). That's unlikely to be articulated by anyone campaigning for telecoms companies to be given untrammelled rights to gouge their customer base because the alternative is to let your opponents claim a minor victory.
    Are you as undecided as Mr Nabavi then ?
    I haven't peered into Richard Nabavi's soul so I can't perform a comparative exercise for you.

I realise that it is very hard for zealots to comprehend but undecided people think quite differently from you. But they are the ones you need to persuade. Both sides in the campaign are doing a terrible job of this. Remain is utterly ineffectual. Leave seems to be seeking actively to deter the undecideds.
    It just that you "undecided" people seem to spend all your time ramping the Remain side, I don't think I have heard a single comment from either you or Mr Nabavi suggesting there are merits in the out side, which would lead even the most balanced observer to suggest that your position is at best disingenuous.
    I don't believe anybody on this site is undecided, in the same way I wouldn't believe them if they said shortly before the GE they weren't sure who to vote for.

Some on here are pretending to be undecided whilst in mortal fear of Cameron recommending Leave, some others are going through an intellectual farce of weighing up the arguments when it's obvious they'll vote Leave.

What is clear is that plenty will vote In rather than see Farage "win", in a democracy that's their right but it's as shallow a position as I can imagine.

While I agree it would be unlikely to find many truly undecided voters on here for a general election, I don't see why there can't be undecided in the referendum. I, for one, am undecided. I can see the benefits of staying, and the benefits of leaving.
  • Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    edited December 2015
    David Aaronovitch has a superb column on stupidity research today - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4649089.ece.

He mentions Trots thinking Tory voters will choose them instead, cultural appropriation outrage [like yoga] and prosecuting the dead as some of most egregious examples of 2015. So far...
    ydoethur said:

@Plato_Says It's when I read rubbish like that from Corbyn's admirers that I realise his is a religious rather than a political cult. It's as bad as reading some of the freaky apologetics stuff from an American fundie. Who cares about things like facts and the evidence when you can have 'faith of the heart'?

Very appropriate for Christmas though - how about 'wie schönen leuchtet den Morgenstern' as their new motto? Only thing is nobody would accuse Milne, McDonnell and the Jezziah of being three wise men...

• blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

If people decide their votes based on this, we may well be entering an Angeli period of decay.

My decision will be made on the vision of Britain's future that most appeals to me (or, more accurately, that sounds least appalling). That's unlikely to be articulated by anyone campaigning for telecoms companies to be given untrammelled rights to gouge their customer base because the alternative is to let your opponents claim a minor victory.
    I haven't peered into Richard Nabavi's soul so I can't perform a comparative exercise for you.

I realise that it is very hard for zealots to comprehend but undecided people think quite differently from you. But they are the ones you need to persuade. Both sides in the campaign are doing a terrible job of this. Remain is utterly ineffectual. Leave seems to be seeking actively to deter the undecideds.
    If I were running the Remain campaign - with six months to go - I would let Leave continue to fight each other in public and act as UKIP does.

Why interrupt your enemy in a mistake ? Or lots of mistakes?

Leave appear very voter unfriendly and the more the voters see of them...
    I've long been saying a winning campaign for 'leave' would be : "Do you want to head where they're heading?"

Equally, a winning campaign for 'remain' might be: "Do you trust our future to these eejits?"
    Which eejits?

The same people will be governing us after the referendum regardless of the outcome. This is a strange site, some really insightful and concise postings interspersed with ill considered nonsense.

The referendum is about whether or not we remain in the EU, the General Election is about who governs us. I've no idea who you mean when you say eejit, but I'm assuming you mean those who want to Leave. Therefore plenty of eejits that are currently governing us will still be governing us, the eejits are there already.

There's a village up the way from me called Blackboys. Can you imagine all the fuss they've had over the years?!

RobD said:

I just read that in the Indy as well! I thought about mentioning it but thought there must be more to it.
    Presumably it triggered one of Facebook's automated flagging things. Hopefully their page will be restored soon, I do like a pub with a funny (for a ten year old) name.. :p
    What about poor me?

You could decide to identify as *black* like that numpty woman from NAACP.

There's a village up the way from me called Blackboys. Can you imagine all the fuss they've had over the years?!

RobD said:

I just read that in the Indy as well! I thought about mentioning it but thought there must be more to it.
    Presumably it triggered one of Facebook's automated flagging things. Hopefully their page will be restored soon, I do like a pub with a funny (for a ten year old) name.. :p
    What about poor me?

• Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

It just that you "undecided" people seem to spend all your time ramping the Remain side, I don't think I have heard a single comment from either you or Mr Nabavi suggesting there are merits in the out side, which would lead even the most balanced observer to suggest that your position is at best disingenuous.
    Most of my posts on pb about the referendum are buckets of cold water over the Leave campaign but that's largely because pb is chockfull of rabid anti-EU headbangers. You shouldn't infer any great enthusiasm for the EU from that. If I vote Remain, I won't be skipping to the polling booth with a song in my heart as I do so.

Incidentally, I have made the point previously and will make the point again that it may well be that Leave's best chance of winning will be to abandon voters like me in search of other more numerous groups. Just because I'm undecided doesn't necessarily mean that my vote is worth courting if to gain it would entail giving up on more votes elsewhere.

Where I do think I'm more typical is in approaching this as a question of identity. Leave will not win if the public concludes that a post-Leave Britain is either a completely incoherent vision or would be a profoundly reactionary country. Leave needs to explain clearly what post-Leave Britain would look and feel like.
  • Ten of the 19 destinations where 3 provide free data roaming are outside of the EU.

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home

No, I am not a kipper.

I went to Ireland earlier this year and free use of the phone was bliss. I tend to travel independently, use local public transport, etc while in holiday so access to data really does improve the experience and cuts down drastically the amount of information you need to research beforehand and take with you.

RobD said:

What about poor me?

Is that the lady in America who pretended to be black and sued for discrimination even though both her parents were white?

It might explain why I get picked on on here, the site is full of racists.

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,678

David Aaronovitch has a superb column on stupidity research today - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/article4649089.ece.

He mentions Trots thinking Tory voters will choose them instead, cultural appropriation outrage [like yoga] and prosecuting the dead as some of most egregious examples of 2015. So far...

ydoethur said:

Now let's be fair, Henry V prosecuted the dead as well. It's not exactly a new thing.

The slight difference was that Henry V prosecuted the corpse of (I think) Oldcastle after he was reminded that Oldcastle was entitled to a fair trial - and hadn't received one before being hanged.
    If you chose to identify as one of the many minority gender labels, you could be affronted about everything else.

There's a feast of Guardian columns available to you.

RobD said:

What about poor me?

Is that the lady in America who pretended to be black and sued for discrimination even though both her parents were white?

It might explain why I get picked on on here, the site is full of racists.

edited December 2015
    Possibly one of the few examples where *never too late to do the right thing* doesn't apply...
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Now let's be fair, Henry V prosecuted the dead as well. It's not exactly a new thing.

The slight difference was that Henry V prosecuted the corpse of (I think) Oldcastle after he was reminded that Oldcastle was entitled to a fair trial - and hadn't received one before being hanged.
  • Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

Most of my posts on pb about the referendum are buckets of cold water over the Leave campaign but that's largely because pb is chockfull of rabid anti-EU headbangers. You shouldn't infer any great enthusiasm for the EU from that. If I vote Remain, I won't be skipping to the polling booth with a song in my heart as I do so.

Incidentally, I have made the point previously and will make the point again that it may well be that Leave's best chance of winning will be to abandon voters like me in search of other more numerous groups. Just because I'm undecided doesn't necessarily mean that my vote is worth courting if to gain it would entail giving up on more votes elsewhere.

Where I do think I'm more typical is in approaching this as a question of identity. Leave will not win if the public concludes that a post-Leave Britain is either a completely incoherent vision or would be a profoundly reactionary country. Leave needs to explain clearly what post-Leave Britain would look and feel like.
    It would look and feel like an independent anglosphere country in close proximity to its much larger continental neighbour: like as Canada is to the USA, or Australia is to Asia. And, to a lesser extent, Japan.

Except with more punch: we have twice the population, a bigger economy, nukes, a UN Security Council seat, a global expeditionary military capability and highly permeating cultural soft-power influence.

It does not infer isolation: we could be in a great place to freely arbitrate or bring together Western foreign policy between Oceania, Europe and North America.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Easy to see why Jezza didn't want to do this...

@David_Cameron: I'd like to wish everyone in Britain and around the world a very happy and peaceful Christmas. My Christmas message: https://t.co/cg51isSzOr
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    And now a little Christmas cheer from our friends at LabourList...

@LabourList: 2015 election verdict: Too tough on welfare and the deficit, and too much like the Tories https://t.co/03urwDO9Rz

@str8downmiddle: @LabourList and to be clear, Labour to hard on welfare, so we voted in those soft fluffy welfare loving Tories instead?

@MarpleLeaf: @LabourList @Conorpope The voters were wrong, in other words

• I don't believe anybody on this site is undecided, in the same way I wouldn't believe them if they said shortly before the GE they weren't sure who to vote for.

Some on here are pretending to be undecided whilst in mortal fear of Cameron recommending Leave, some others are going through an intellectual farce of weighing up the arguments when it's obvious they'll vote Leave.

What is clear is that plenty will vote In rather than see Farage "win", in a democracy that's their right but it's as shallow a position as I can imagine.

I'm undecided, though come from the punting side of the site rather than being a politician. The EU is just one of many issues I have no strong opinion about, like how to reduce crime or bring peace to the Middle East.

Even for the politicos, though, the EU has generally not been a defining issue and has always crossed the left-right boundaries that historically define our politics. In the past, Labour has been more Eurosceptic than the Conservatives who have made most of the running on Europe. For the past couple of decades there has been no great reason for anyone seeking office in this country to have given the EU any more thought than whether street lamps should be orange or white. The government or party would take care of managerial and administrative questions while the big picture was long-settled.

As AlastairMeeks (Antifrank was easier to spell and wasted fewer bytes) says, neither side has yet made a coherent case. Worse, given memories of the Scottish IndyRef, neither side makes a positive case. (I was about to add that I do not even know when the referendum will take place but quickly remembered that nor does anyone else.)
  • This article really is balderdash (as well as being four years out of date).

This means planning ahead rather than using the internet casually.

Planning? Before going on a foreign holiday? What an outrageous idea!

It's the equivalent of walking into a bar in Germany and being told 'here's a glass of wine for €500 (£439) because you're a Brit or a Spaniard'

No, it isn't. You can buy a local product from a local supplier - in the case of mobiles, that's a local SIM card.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,034

This article really is balderdash (as well as being four years out of date).

It's the equivalent of walking into a bar in Germany and being told 'here's a glass of wine for €500 (£439) because you're a Brit or a Spaniard'

No, it isn't. You can buy a local product from a local supplier - in the case of mobiles, that's a local SIM card.

But that's far too much like hard work!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

I don't believe anybody on this site is undecided, in the same way I wouldn't believe them if they said shortly before the GE they weren't sure who to vote for.

I was undecided who to vote for in the GE right up to the very day. Frankly I think it's insulting that you presume that because some may present as less certain of which way they intend to vote than may be the case, anyone who claims to be so is a liar. This is the very type of insulting behaviour that people have pointed to with leave and remain, though principally leave, doing a terrible job of persuading anyone.

I'm for leave by the way, though 2 years ago I was for remain. Am I lying about that, given you have the ability to determine the truth?
  • tlg86 said:

But that's far too much like hard work!
    I use an app to limit my data to say 10MB a day and use Skype over WiFi if I need to make a call. The EU rates are actually pretty cheap.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,285
    UKIP in the European Parliament is in a very tough tough position. Is it their view - the one that they espouse in their speeches - that the European Parliament has no democratic legitimacy? (This is the view of Sinn Fein, for example, regards to the UK parliament.) Or is it their view that that they were elected to prevent the increase of EU power?

Their speeches - millions of YouTube views! - proclaim the former; yheir votes the latter.

As it happens, I think it is wrong for the EU to interfere in this space at all. This is market place with many, many competitors. With or without government interference, roaming charges are on the way out. (Why should someone who does not travel have to subsidise someone who does?)

(There is an argument that I have sympathy with that - for data - people have no idea how much a kilobyte is, and sometimes have no control over whether their phone, tablet or laptop decides that now is the right time to download an update from Apple, Google or whoever. In this case, some kind of default daily cap would be appropriate rather than slapping someone with an unexpected £2,000 bill.)

• Most of my posts on pb about the referendum are buckets of cold water over the Leave campaign but that's largely because pb is chockfull of rabid anti-EU headbangers. You shouldn't infer any great enthusiasm for the EU from that. If I vote Remain, I won't be skipping to the polling booth with a song in my heart as I do so.

It would look and feel like an independent anglosphere country in close proximity to its much larger continental neighbour: like as Canada is to the USA, or Australia is to Asia. And, to a lesser extent, Japan.

Except with more punch: we have twice the population, a bigger economy, nukes, a UN Security Council seat, a global expeditionary military capability and highly permeating cultural soft-power influence.

It does not infer isolation: we could be in a great place to freely arbitrate or bring together Western foreign policy between Oceania, Europe and North America.
    Thank you for trying to answer the question. That raises a whole host of other questions (starting with "that sounds pretty much exactly where we are right now, so leaving the EU seems like a lot of effort to stay put"), but at least you understand what it is that needs explaining. I'm not sure that all your fellow Leavers see things in the same way as you though.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,818

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

What a post-Leave Britain would look like is surely down to post-Leave Britons to decide.
    Scott_P said:

Easy to see why Jezza didn't want to do this...

@David_Cameron: I'd like to wish everyone in Britain and around the world a very happy and peaceful Christmas. My Christmas message: https://t.co/cg51isSzOr

Very very silly of him not to.
    kle4 said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

I was undecided who to vote for in the GE right up to the very day. Frankly I think it's insulting that you presume that because some may present as less certain of which way they intend to vote than may be the case, anyone who claims to be so is a liar. This is the very type of insulting behaviour that people have pointed to with leave and remain, though principally leave, doing a terrible job of persuading anyone.

I'm for leave by the way, though 2 years ago I was for remain. Am I lying about that, given you have the ability to determine the truth?
    I'm happy to rephrase my original statement, 99% of this site have made up their minds.

If I offended anybody by calling them a liar I apologise, it was unfair.

• IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Wanderer said:

Remain's own campaign has been hapless.

I don't know, both John Major and William Hague did quite a good job for Leave last week. In essence they told us a number of pretty weak reasons to stay, and a few rather good reasons to leave.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,569

Which eejits?

The same people will be governing us after the referendum regardless of the outcome. This is a strange site, some really insightful and concise postings interspersed with ill considered nonsense.

The referendum is about whether or not we remain in the EU, the General Election is about who governs us. I've no idea who you mean when you say eejit, but I'm assuming you mean those who want to Leave. Therefore plenty of eejits that are currently governing us will still be governing us, the eejits are there already.

Yes, it's amazing how many of your posts are ill-considered nonsense. Perhaps you should have considered your own views before writing that paragraph ...

And by 'eejits', I was directly referring to the leave campaign and many of their followers. And it's perfectly valid to say that: leave are trying to change the status quo, and if we vote to leave we are entrusting our future to their vision of the future.

Sadly, they don't really have one at the moment.

As an aside, I don't think we are run by idiots. There are some class-A idiots amongst our politicians, and they all are prone to moments of idiocy (as we all are). But to class them all as idiots is, well, idiotic.
  • On topic most people don't travel abroad and use data...and since it is a zero sum game where the phone companies will jack up domestic prices to make up for lost revenue, I support the UKIP campaign. I travel a lot but turn roaming off! I remember the days when mobiles were non-existent, and even more recently were for emergencies only.

I have no sympathy for people who want to go to Spain and live stream EastEnders FFS

• Most of my posts on pb about the referendum are buckets of cold water over the Leave campaign but that's largely because pb is chockfull of rabid anti-EU headbangers. You shouldn't infer any great enthusiasm for the EU from that. If I vote Remain, I won't be skipping to the polling booth with a song in my heart as I do so.

Thank you for trying to answer the question. That raises a whole host of other questions (starting with "that sounds pretty much exactly where we are right now, so leaving the EU seems like a lot of effort to stay put")
    The answer to that question, of course, is that the EU isn't staying put.
  • I am genuinely undecided on the EU referendum. Neither choice looks particularly attractive to be honest.
  • Mr. 1983, quite. It's entirely legitimate for a politician to decide against religious messages (although Christmas is as secular as it is religious, I knew a Hindu family who celebrated it), but to say yes to some religions and no to Christianity is another kettle of monkeys altogether.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    There has been downward pressure on roaming charges for close to a decade. Introducing increased regulation in a market that is not broken is completely unnecessary.
    Indigo said:

Wanderer said:

Remain's own campaign has been hapless.

I don't know, both John Major and William Hague did quite a good job for Leave last week. In essence they told us a number of pretty weak reasons to stay, and a few rather good reasons to leave.
    That's true enough. I listened to Major and wondered whose side he was really on ...

Talk about missing the point.

1) The networks already exist and were created for local users.
    2) The only reason - the ONLY reason - for charging foreign users a higher rate is because the networks can. There is no additional cost in supplying the data. We used to see exactly the same with international phone call rates. We should not be allowing companies to rip off customers. And a rip-off it is.
    3) The excuse given - that it's a consequence of the rates that national networks charge each other and that needs passing on to the consumer - is just a little threadbare when the networks in question are all called Vodafone. It's transfer pricing with the consumer being the victim.

Your enthusiasm for letting telecom companies exploit the unwary is baffling.

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

What a post-Leave Britain would look like is surely down to post-Leave Britons to decide.
    It might be know before we vote on it though.
  • Mr. Observer, although (obviously) I'd advocate voting to Leave, I think it'd be best for you to consider how you think the EU will be in 20 years time, and whether that would be good for the UK (or, indeed, the EU itself).

Don't vote based on the rubbish campaigns today or who'll be happy/sad if we stay or leave. Vote based on whether you think it'll be better for us in a couple of decades.

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

There is an issue of morality here. If say:

To business you promise EFTA/EEA.
    To those worried about immigration you promise Complete Independence.

Then support is maximised but you leave a very large group of people feeling lied to after the referendum.

kle4 said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

I was undecided who to vote for in the GE right up to the very day. Frankly I think it's insulting that you presume that because some may present as less certain of which way they intend to vote than may be the case, anyone who claims to be so is a liar. This is the very type of insulting behaviour that people

I'm happy to rephrase my original statement, 99% of this site have made up their minds.

It's ok, we've all done it at one time or another.
    My brother, a Labour member just posted this. And called it barking death of a major party http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35054253?SThisFB
    According to data on Early Day Motions on the Parliament website, since 1989 Mr Corbyn has signed 19,485 motions. Of those he was the primary sponsor of 766 and a co-sponsor on 2,727.

Mr. Observer, although (obviously) I'd advocate voting to Leave, I think it'd be best for you to consider how you think the EU will be in 20 years time, and whether that would be good for the UK (or, indeed, the EU itself).

Don't vote based on the rubbish campaigns today or who'll be happy/sad if we stay or leave. Vote based on whether you think it'll be better for us in a couple of decades.

We also should consider what a post-Leave UK would be like in 20 years, and compare the two.
  • Mr. D, indeed.

Indeed you did. Data roaming charges have been coming down every year even without the EU sticking its big regulatory boot in - which might make data roaming within the EU cheaper but will make everything else more expensive.

I think you're projecting your own certain mindset onto others. Regular readers on this site would have seen my slowly shift from being on the fence but marginally for remain, to being on the fence, and to falling off the fence and plunging towards leave.

But even given that, I'm still undecided. Good arguments (and perhaps even suitably-targeted FUD) could overcome gravity and send me back over the fence towards remain. Likewise, arguments could accelerate my fall towards leave.

There are several categories of people:
    *) Determined leave, who will not be convinced to remain.
    *) Determined remain, who will not be convinced to leave.
    *) People who have looked into the issues, sway one way or the other, but are persuadable.
    *) People who have no idea about the issues but have vague instinctual positions.
    *) People who have no clue there's going to be a referendum.

1) The networks already exist and were created for local users.
    2) The only reason - the ONLY reason - for charging foreign users a higher rate is because the networks can. There is no additional cost in supplying the data. We used to see exactly the same with international phone call rates. We should not be allowing companies to rip off customers. And a rip-off it is.
    3) The excuse given - that it's a consequence of the rates that national networks charge each other and that needs passing on to the consumer - is just a little threadbare when the networks in question are all called Vodafone. It's transfer pricing with the consumer being the victim.

Your enthusiasm for letting telecom companies exploit the unwary is baffling.
    Just like lawyers...
    In the 1970s: "Britain's shit, look how great Europe is, join them!"
    In the 1980s: "Europe's falling behind, Japan is in the ascendent, we should have a free trade deal with them instead!"
    In the 2000s: "The BRICs are the future. Look at Brazil and China's growth rate. Let's join with them!"

I do wonder if we all have a tendency to over-extrapolate recent trends - we were wrong to think that the EU countries had any kind of economy miracle in the 1970s, ditto Japan in the 1990s; ditto Brazil in the 2000s; and probably ditto China now.
  • Scott_P said:

And now a little Christmas cheer from our friends at LabourList...

@LabourList: 2015 election verdict: Too tough on welfare and the deficit, and too much like the Tories https://t.co/03urwDO9Rz

@str8downmiddle: @LabourList and to be clear, Labour to hard on welfare, so we voted in those soft fluffy welfare loving Tories instead?

@MarpleLeaf: @LabourList @Conorpope The voters were wrong, in other words

It really sums up what a mess Miliband made. The problem is that he spent most of the parliament railing against everything the coalition did and then as the election approached panicked and started putting things about cutting the deficit and controlling immigration in the manifesto. This last minute u-turn was pretty half-hearted and wasn't remotely credible to anyone. However, now the left can wave the manifesto around and say it was centrist so Lab need a more left wing offering.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    rcs1000 said:

In the 1980s: "Europe's falling behind, Japan is in the ascendent, we should have a free trade deal with them instead!"
    In the 2000s: "The BRICs are the future. Look at Brazil and China's growth rate. Let's join with them!"

I do wonder if we all have a tendency to over-extrapolate recent trends - we were wrong to think that the EU countries had any kind of economy miracle in the 1970s, ditto Japan in the 1990s; ditto Brazil in the 2000s; and probably ditto China now.

Blame journalists for the hype. They feel they have to try to justify their existence and in these days it's mostly click bait.

Indeed you did. Data roaming charges have been coming down every year even without the EU sticking its big regulatory boot in - which might make data roaming within the EU cheaper but will make everything else more expensive.
    Nonsense. It will not make everything more expensive. Why should closing a rip-off do that? As you implicitly admit, this is long overdue.

My brother, a Labour member just posted this. And called it barking death of a major party http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35054253?SThisFB

According to data on Early Day Motions on the Parliament website, since 1989 Mr Corbyn has signed 19,485 motions. Of those he was the primary sponsor of 766 and a co-sponsor on 2,727.
    I love that he said beards help make someone sympathetic in Image that is helpful when dealing with the distressed.
    @Blackburn

I have said repeatedly that what I want is Britain to have the same relationship with the EU than Norway does. In EFTA/EEA, but not in the EU. Lower bills, less regulation.

But I do value the Four Freedoms. I think the Freedom of people to work across Europe without paperwork is an unambiguously good thing. (Equally though, I do think governments should be able to discriminate in favour of their own citizens.)

If the choice is between EU and Completely Out, then I'm in a very difficult position.
  • I'm happy to rephrase my original statement, 99% of this site have made up their minds.

I think you're projecting your own certain mindset onto others. Regular readers on this site would have seen my slowly shift from being on the fence but marginally for remain, to being on the fence, and to falling off the fence and plunging towards leave.

But even given that, I'm still undecided. Good arguments (and perhaps even suitably-targeted FUD) could overcome gravity and send me back over the fence towards remain. Likewise, arguments could accelerate my fall towards leave.

*) People who have looked into the issues, sway one way or the other, but are persuadable.
    *) People who have no idea about the issues but have vague instinctual positions.
    Zealots have no comprehension that others might genuinely doubt and might genuinely change their mind. They vaguely perceive the possibility, but confronted with the reality they cannot understand what they observe.

Nonsense. It will not make everything more expensive. Why should closing a rip-off do that? As you implicitly admit, this is long overdue.
    Because, as you say, they can. And I don't admit it's overdue - that's an intentional gross distortion of my position.
  • RobD said:

Mr. Observer, although (obviously) I'd advocate voting to Leave, I think it'd be best for you to consider how you think the EU will be in 20 years time, and whether that would be good for the UK (or, indeed, the EU itself).

We also should consider what a post-Leave UK would be like in 20 years, and compare the two.

We will continue to globalise whatever happens. I suspect that in or out we'll develop in pretty much the same way.

I like the asteroid one. We could have a whole thread dedicated to daft things Corbyn has said and done.
    kle4 said:

I love that he said beards help make someone sympathetic in Image that is helpful when dealing with the distressed.

Because, as you say, they can. And I don't admit it's overdue - that's an intentional gross distortion of my position.
    They can in uncompetitive markets. Domestic markets are competitive (which is why domestic prices are low). So domestic prices won't rise. This is the point that you and UKIP are missing.

If Leavers are going into bat on behalf of big business being able to exploit consumers, they will lose by a landslide.
    edited December 2015

I like the asteroid one. We could have a whole thread dedicated to daft things Corbyn has said and done.

kle4 said:

If we did that, the AV thread would be postponed indefinitely due to the sheer number of threads required. :(
    To answer Alastair Meek's question (though I don't actually think that Leave should have to articulate a unified vision for the next 50 years, unless we are going to ask Remain to do the same).

I would like to see a Britain that is a model of democracy, and given its status as a small independent nation, very aware that its democratic institutions need to be protected and used in order for them to survive.

I would like us to have a thriving low tax and low regulation economy, but paired with a Government that understands that if push comes to shove it may need to act in the interests of vital industries.

We should have more than sufficient armed forces to defend our territory, but to adopt a non-interventionist stance militarily where British interests are not directly affected. Our foreign policy goal should be what it always used to be, achieving a 'balance of powers' whereby peace and prosperity are maintained.

Immigration must be brought under control. If you don't control your borders; you don't control your country, it's really as non-contentious as that. A Government that shrugs its shoulders about immigration isn't worthy of the name. That's not to say we need less or more immigration - I'm not making that judgement. Just that the Government needs to be in control of it. With seas all around us it really shouldn't be that difficult.

On social cohesion I would favour an approach that applied existing laws universally across community groups.

RobD said:

We will continue to globalise whatever happens. I suspect that in or out we'll develop in pretty much the same way.

Another way to look at it is to ask "what would have happened in the last 20 years if we'd had this vote 20 years ago?"

If we'd voted to stay in 20 years ago we might have gone on to join the Euro. Okay, so we probably won't go on to join it if we vote to stay in now, but it doesn't help the Remain side that so many of them advocated joining the Euro.

Zealots have no comprehension that others might genuinely doubt and might genuinely change their mind. They vaguely perceive the possibility, but confronted with the reality they cannot understand what they observe.
    An issue for me is that I find it hard to get too emotional about the EU. If we remain in the EU I cannot see it making a massive difference to my life in the next decade or two. Likewise if we leave. There will be small changes, and some of these may help/hinder, but not as much as (say) a Corbyn-led government would.

At least in the short term. And the long-term questions over the EU are why I'm falling towards leave.

If one side or the other can get me emotional about remaining or leaving, they'll have my vote for sure. But I doubt they'll do that.
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited December 2015

They can in uncompetitive markets. Domestic markets are competitive (which is why domestic prices are low). So domestic prices won't rise. This is the point that you and UKIP are missing.
    Well, we'll see, won't we. And we'll see what happens to data roaming charges outside the EU.

But in any case the mobile operators have always been able to compete with each other on data roaming charges just as much as on domestic charges. That competition is what has driven the charges down slowly. It's been slower than domestic charges because it's less important to people, I guess.
    I expect trade to be 98% the same Leave or Remain - it's the other stuff that influences too much of our lives and future longer term.

An issue for me is that I find it hard to get too emotional about the EU. If we remain in the EU I cannot see it making a massive difference to my life in the next decade or two. Likewise if we leave. There will be small changes, and some of these may help/hinder, but not as much as (say) a Corbyn-led government would.

At least in the short term. And the long-term questions over the EU are why I'm falling towards leave.

If one side or the other can get me emotional about remaining or leaving, they'll have my vote for sure. But I doubt they'll do that.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,365
    edited December 2015
    Large multinationals - banks, energy companies, pharmas, telecomms - are extremely powerful because they have the resources to hire the brightest lawyers, accountants, lobbyists and dispense lavish patronage in the form of consultancies, nights at the opera etc. The poor consumer doesn't stand a chance.

If a politician complains about the activities of a multinational they are "anti-business". They are anti the engine of economic growth, employer of miillions of people. If multi-nationals are taxed more, or their prices controlled, then the threat is that consumers will suffer because the multi-nationals will increase their prices to maintain their profits.

This is not a level playing field. I am very much pro-consumer and think that governments should do much more to keep multi-nationals in their box (while encouraging small businesses).

The Labour Party needs to find the words and the policies to counter the anti-business label that the Tories have successfully stuck on them. Pro-consumer and pro-small business, perhaps.

It is odd that the Tories are pro-consumer and anti-supplier in the public sector but the reverse in the private sector. They need to be called out on this.

Merry Christmas to everyone. I'm glad I got that off my chest. Now I can relax.
    rcs1000 said:

Any notion that China is not going to outstrip the US as the world's leading economy is wishful thinking. It's not an economic miracle; its simply numbers. We can deny it or prepare for it.

I think some of the emotion is about those on the Remain side telling people on the Leave side that they shouldn't be getting emotional about it as it doesn't matter.

You're right. Whatever the outcome is, it really won't make much difference and that's how I felt about the 2015 General Election. But these things are still worth thinking about as we do on this site.

One thing I don't want to see from either side is that they are more patriotic/care more about the UK. I found the Yes campaign in Scotland a bit distasteful and there was definitely a shy No factor at work. You could tell that those opposed to independence were less vocal, and I don't blame them. Hopefully this referendum won't be portrayed as Good vs Bad, and from what I've seen I think that should be the case.

rcs1000 said:

Any notion that China is not going to outstrip the US as the world's leading economy is wishful thinking. It's not an economic miracle; its simply numbers. We can deny it or prepare for it.
    Back in 1990, the number one best selling book on the New York Times bestseller list was "The Sun Always Rises in the East" about the superiority of the Japanese economic model, and how it was inevtiable that the US would be eclipsed before the the Year 2000.

China's working age population peaks in 2017. The US will continue to grow, as it sucks in immigrants and has a TFR close to replacement.

China may - or may not - pass the US as the world's dominant economic power. The idea that there is anything inevitable about it is laughable.
    Quite.
    Without any way of knowing the truth, this is what I’d have been asking myself; where were the mothers of these 9 children? Was it just that the women’s place was in the home? Were they too female to fly? Or were they not needed for this family’s final destination?

So if Homeland Security were suspicious about the fact there were no mothers in the group, who can entirely blame them?
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3372467/KATIE-HOPKINS-Just-Britain-s-border-security-Mickey-Mouse-operation-t-blame-America-not-letting-lot-travel-Disneyland-wouldn-t-either.html#ixzz3vBAq1xLy
  • Barnesian said:

I am very much pro-consumer and think that governments should do much more to keep multi-nationals in their box

Which is all very well in theory, but the thing about multi-nationals is that they can choose to base themselves anywhere. So unilateral action is risky.

Ireland did very nicely thank you by attracting multi-nationals.

Barnesian said:

I am very much pro-consumer and think that governments should do much more to keep multi-nationals in their box

Which is all very well in theory, but the thing about multi-nationals is that they can choose to base themselves anywhere. So unilateral action is risky.

• Barnesian said:

Large multinationals - banks, energy companies, pharmas, telecomms - are extremely powerful because they have the resources to hire the brightest lawyers, accountants, lobbyists and dispense lavish patronage in the form of consultancies, nights at the opera etc. The poor consumer doesn't stand a chance.

If a politician complains about the activities of a multinational they are "anti-business". They are anti the engine of economic growth, employer of miillions of people. If multi-nationals are taxed more, or their prices controlled, then the threat is that consumers will suffer because the multi-nationals will increase their prices to maintain their profits.

This is not a level playing field. I am very much pro-consumer and think that governments should do much more to keep multi-nationals in their box (while encouraging small businesses).

The Labour Party needs to find the words and the policies to counter the anti-business label that the Tories have successfully stuck on them. Pro-consumer and pro-small business, perhaps.

It is odd that the Tories are pro-consumer and anti-supplier in the public sector but the reverse in the private sector. They need to be called out on this.

That is Blairism, which in my view has sod all to do with Giddens and his third way but comes directly from Alastair Campbell and the Today newspaper. And though Conservatives may be anti-supplier in the public sector, I see no great evidence they are pro-consumer there or anywhere else. It might be argued that Blairism would still be a successful political framework if not for its eponym's messiah complex.
  • rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Back in 1990, the number one best selling book on the New York Times bestseller list was "The Sun Always Rises in the East" about the superiority of the Japanese economic model, and how it was inevtiable that the US would be eclipsed before the the Year 2000.

China's working age population peaks in 2017. The US will continue to grow, as it sucks in immigrants and has a TFR close to replacement.

China may - or may not - pass the US as the world's dominant economic power. The idea that there is anything inevitable about it is laughable.

It depends what we mean by dominant, doesn't it? China will surely be the biggest, but in terms of innovation and brands the Chinese are light years away from dominance and will continue to be until the political system changes.

I would like to see a Britain that is a model of democracy, and given its status as a small independent nation, very aware that its democratic institutions need to be protected and used in order for them to survive.

Small?
    Quite.http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/9653497/British-have-invaded-nine-out-of-ten-countries-so-look-out-Luxembourg.html
    RobD said:

Small?

Barnesian said:

That is Blairism, which in my view has sod all to do with Giddens and his third way but comes directly from Alastair Campbell and the Today newspaper. And though Conservatives may be anti-supplier in the public sector, I see no great evidence they are pro-consumer there or anywhere else. It might be argued that Blairism would still be a successful political framework if not for its eponym's messiah complex.
    Good God. I'm a Blairite! That has really floored me.

Perhaps you are right. The problem with Blairism is its name and heritage. I'll think about that over Christmas.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You're not a historian, so I suppose your attitude is understandable. If you understood the concepts, you would realise the unmistakable signs of late-imperial putrefaction have been around the US for years. Their economy (like ours sadly) is a vast bubble of debt waiting to be burst when confidence erodes, and the dollar ceases to be the world's trading currency as the pound did before it. There is no way back, and the current push for military domination (a feature of all declining empires) is a last ditch attempt to avert historical inevitability.
    edited December 2015
    And you work in marketing - so not a historian either. :persevere:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

You're not a historian, so I suppose your attitude is understandable. If you understood the concepts, you would realise the unmistakable signs of late-imperial putrefaction have been around the US for years. Their economy (like ours sadly) is a vast bubble of debt waiting to be burst when confidence erodes, and the dollar ceases to be the world's trading currency as the pound did before it. There is no way back, and the current push for military domination (a feature of all declining empires) is a last ditch attempt to avert historical inevitability.
  • WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Which eejits?

The referendum outcome will have a huge bearing on who the next Prime Minister is.
    RobD said:

Small?
    Yes, small. I appreciate we punch above our weight in many areas and long may it continue, but I'm ok with being small. It's europhiles who demand we club together in a big bloc as some sort of empire replacement. I frankly don't give a toss, as long as we can look after ourselves.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,883

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That post sounds like an episode of the Keiser Report.
    rcs1000 said:

If the choice is between EU and Completely Out, then I'm in a very difficult position.

But as I said below that isn't the question.

The only party with any say over what happens after a LEAVE vote is the government, and they are conspicuously for REMAIN and hence don't have any view on what happens after a LEAVE vote, with the triviality of modern media coverage even suggest having considered the possibility would be see as supporting LEAVE, so they studious have no position.

What the LEAVE campaign says it wants, what they say the people should ask for after the vote, is of no consequence, since they have no say on the matter. It would be misleading, and, frankly, dishonest of the LEAVE campaign to suggest any possible destination after the vote, since neither they nor the referendum can mandate such action.

Barnesian said:

That is yet another source of their power. So unilateral action is indeed risky. But we shouldn't cower.
    edited December 2015
    Apart from landmass - what is your definition of *small* here?

We're the language of teh interwebs, one of world's largest economies, have the Commonwealth, nukes, big NATO player et al.

RobD said:

Small?
    Yes, small. I appreciate we punch above our weight in many areas and long may it continue, but I'm ok with being small. It's europhiles who demand we club together in a big bloc as some sort of empire replacement. I frankly don't give a toss, as long as we can look after ourselves.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 14,102
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Agreed - and the US is not likely to have to face increased calls for political freedoms, either....

edited December 2015

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

That post sounds like an episode of the Keiser Report.
    It's a post from someone who studied economic history and the British Empire for my degree. I will admit that the finer details of the Gold standard and the Smoot Hawley tariff are now gone forever, but the basic concepts are sound and have remained with me.
    edited December 2015

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

An historian would understand that history is the study of the past - not the study of the past and hypothetical near future.

Barnesian said:

Indeed. But Ireland's economy is at the mercy of the multinationals. It doesn't even realise it is shackled. But it would soon realise if it offended the multi-nationals.

PS It won't.

We could adopt the same master/slave posture. We are halfway there already under this government. Personally I prefer freedom, even at a cost.

You're not a historian, so I suppose your attitude is understandable. If you understood the concepts, you would realise the unmistakable signs of late-imperial putrefaction have been around the US for years.

The statement that the US is in terminal decline as a global power has certainly been around for years. One day it will be true.

Btw you're not a professional historian yourself are you?
  • Mr. Mortimer, there's a Chinese saying:
    The empire, long divided, must unite. The empire, long united, must divide.

China is immensely resilient but it has historically fluctuated between division/weakness and unity/strength. The Communists won't have dominion forever, and when they fail it'll be interesting to see how the transition goes.

I'm not sure there's a real comparison with any other country. Worth also noting the Chinese situation could affect that of North Korea, as well as the South China Sea, islands disputed with Japan, etc.

Anyway, the Communists won't collapse tomorrow, but if we're talking about long term forecasts, political instability and even division (whether wholesale splits or bits [Tibet, for example]) ought to be considered.
    What nonsense - no economy lives in a vacuum free of pissing off their voters or their tax payers.

See 70s Brain Drain and taxation.
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Indeed. But Ireland's economy is at the mercy of the multinationals. It doesn't even realise it is shackled. But it would soon realise if it offended the multi-nationals.

PS It won't.

We could adopt the same master/slave posture. We are halfway there already under this government. Personally I prefer freedom, even at a cost.
  • Mortimer said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

An historian would understand that history is the study of the past - not the study of the past and hypothetical near future.

When you go on holiday, do you stay at an hotel?
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Ingham is right..Corbyn is Labours worst nightmare...long may he reign
    OT, but could anyone explain to me what 'The Canary' is - the Corbynites on my fb feed have resorted to posting some 'economics' articles from here now even the Guardian seems to disagree with them......
    edited December 2015

Quite.

Yup. Intelligence was received about a Facebook page connected to the family address, containing extremist material sympathising with Al Qaeda.

And if I tell you Tariq’s brother was also detained in Tel Aviv for 8 days before being ejected from the country (again ‘inexplicably’ - according to his wife) would you still be comfortable getting on board with them?
    Funny that the BBC and the Guardian somehow missed that bit as well.
    I don't know much about China - but culturally they're extremely cohesive in ways that almost everywhere else has rejected. IIRC the Chinese have many different languages - whilst the USSR had a mainly Russian speaking one.

Now, we've oodles of capitalism in China - whilst still run by Communists. If anyone can explain that dissonance to me - I'd appreciate it.

Mr. Mortimer, there's a Chinese saying:
    The empire, long divided, must unite. The empire, long united, must divide.

China is immensely resilient but it has historically fluctuated between division/weakness and unity/strength. The Communists won't have dominion forever, and when they fail it'll be interesting to see how the transition goes.

I'm not sure there's a real comparison with any other country. Worth also noting the Chinese situation could affect that of North Korea, as well as the South China Sea, islands disputed with Japan, etc.

Anyway, the Communists won't collapse tomorrow, but if we're talking about long term forecasts, political instability and even division (whether wholesale splits or bits [Tibet, for example]) ought to be considered.

• You're not a historian, so I suppose your attitude is understandable. If you understood the concepts, you would realise the unmistakable signs of late-imperial putrefaction have been around the US for years. Their economy (like ours sadly) is a vast bubble of debt waiting to be burst when confidence erodes, and the dollar ceases to be the world's trading currency as the pound did before it. There is no way back, and the current push for military domination (a feature of all declining empires) is a last ditch attempt to avert historical inevitability.

Best read-up on the concerns in China young-man. You are paralleling another universe methinks...! :wink:

We're the language of teh interwebs, one of world's largest economies, have the Commonwealth, nukes, big NATO player et al.

RobD said:

Small?
    Smaller in landmass yes, and therefore with perhaps less potential for population expansion. I didn't say smaller in significance, but I'm actually not even crazy about 'trying' to be significant either. As Adam Smith said:

'Little else is requisite to carry a state to the highest degree of opulence from the lowest barbarism, but peace, easy taxes, and a tolerable administration of justice.'

I believe that. When we get the internals sorted, our 'place in the world' will sort itself. That's the way round it happens.

RobD said:

Small?
    Just in terms of population we are the 22nd most populous, of 190odd.
    HYUFD said:
    I agree with Bernard Ingham.

Perhaps I should f*ck off and join the Tories. I might actually.

Best read-up on the concerns in China young-man. You are paralleling another universe methinks...! :wink:
    Oh, they have HUGE problems. But they can afford for a whole town to blow up and the wheels just keep turning. Did the American civil war halt the advance of the USA?
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

PS It won't.

What sort of policies do you have in mind? Some form of autarky?
This discussion has been closed.