Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Immigration might be the most important issue facing the co

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Immigration might be the most important issue facing the country but it isn’t the only issue

We see in the Ipsos Mori issues index (and in other polling) on a regular and consistent basis immigration/immigrants as the most important issue facing the UK yet if immigration/immigrants really was the most important issue then UKIP would have picked up more than one seat in May as David Cameron’s spectacular failure to cut net immigration in the last parliament would have damaged the T…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited December 2015
    Focusing solely on voters whose only issue is immigration will not win the referendum for Leave, there just aren’t that many type of voters as the results in May showed.
    I don't think you can make that assumption. The first half while undoubtedly true is not demonstrated by the second half, which more than anything showed people didn't want to risk the country being run by Ed Miliband in the pocket of the SNP. I suspect if the Tories has shown a clear lead over Labour for months, the Kippers would have done rather better.

Don't forget that Guardian survery showing that around 30% of people would voter kipper if they thought they could win in their area, probably rather less now! Electorally speaking (not I agree in the referendum) the kippers problem is credibility, and people believing they can win in their seat.

... and first!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Clearly there are many reasons other than immigration for leaving the EU. But timing is important. I guess the reason the Government want the referendum early is to get it done before this summer's migrant crisis. A September referendum could make immigration the main focus of the debate whether the in or out campaign like it or not.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    tlg86 said:

Clearly there are many reasons other than immigration for leaving the EU. But timing is important. I guess the reason the Government want the referendum early is to get it done before this summer's migrant crisis. A September referendum could make immigration the main focus of the debate whether the in or out campaign like it or not.

Even a September referendum would mean rejecting the ruling of the Electoral Commission (should be at least 10 months after the enabling legislation receives royal assent) which might be courageous if he doesn't want people harping on about the legitimacy of the referendum for ever more.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    May the fourth be with you.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited December 2015
    The way I look at the EU is to ask myself "if we weren't already in it now, would I be joining it today?"

No I wouldn't. The EU as managed by Brussels is not aligned with my take on the best economic or political or judicial or social or commercial interests of the people of the UK.

So if I wouldn't join it today, are there any compelling reasons to follow the logical step - and to LEAVE now I have a chance? REMAIN are not making any case to address that argument, other than scare stories that insult my intelligence. And Cameron looks to be getting a deal far short of creating an EU I would want to join if we weren't already in.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Cheers TSE - agree entirely that the Leave campaign should be about more than any one single issue and although immigration is a concern for a great many people, for me personally it falls way below protecting the future of British Sovereignty and all that that entails. - Can UKIP change it's spots? this morning’s thread should give a good indication.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Magnificent Seven.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited December 2015

The way I look at the EU is to ask myself "if we weren't already in it now, would I be joining it today?"

But we are in it and that's the key point. The opportunity cost of the upheaval of either leaving ( or hypothetically joining) is too great. There are more important problems to solve.
  • Options
    What happened to the much trailed AV thread?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

It's trailed off like Aston Villa and now faces relegation ....

• Options
    JackW said:

It's trailed off like Aston Villa and now faces relegation ....

Most disappointed,
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

But we are in it and that's the key point. The opportunity cost of the upheaval of either leaving ( or hypothetically joining) is too great. There are more important problems to solve.
    The key point is that people are being asked if they want to stay in. If they decide they want out, they aren't going to accept a feeble "but it's Too Difficult to Do..." line. That is just badgering them that there is only one outcome.

If our politicians, diplomats and civil servants can't find a way to implement the will of the people in a Referendum, then they should resign. Or be sacked.

And there are no more important problems to solve than having the fullest range of tools possible to decide how our nation wishes to address the problems it faces.

• Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I am a reluctant leave.
    A bit like when I have to leave the pub early on a friday night for so many years.
    Due to having to work on a Saturday.
    Most people are not shift workers.
    They are Monday to Friday in a routine and they would not want to change that.

The leave variety are in the main mavericks and seen as a risk.
    They need a boring 9 to 5 type, like the current foreign secretary Phillip Hammond to reassure them, that leave will be ok.
  • Options

It will appear shortly as a double thread, along with the rules of Mornington Crescent....
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The key point is that people are being asked if they want to stay in. If they decide they want out, they aren't going to accept a feeble "but it's Too Difficult to Do..." line. That is just badgering them that there is only one outcome.

If our politicians, diplomats and civil servants can't find a way to implement the will of the people in a Referendum, then they should resign. Or be sacked.

And there are no more important problems to solve than having the fullest range of tools possible to decide how our nation wishes to address the problems it faces.

Of course we could leave. It's just risky, expensive and backward looking. To your point on the fullest range of tools IMO that clearly comes from being in and leveraging our combined economic clout.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

There's an upside to that as well: Keep ministers busy shuffling in and out of fish quota renegotiations for the next five years and they won't have time to pursue their other various bright ideas.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited December 2015

No I wouldn't. The EU as managed by Brussels is not aligned with my take on the best economic or political or judicial or social or commercial interests of the people of the UK.

So if I wouldn't join it today, are there any compelling reasons to follow the logical step - and to LEAVE now I have a chance? REMAIN are not making any case to address that argument, other than scare stories that insult my intelligence. And Cameron looks to be getting a deal far short of creating an EU I would want to join if we weren't already in.

Quite.

We should be looking at the EU that cannot stand democracy and the will of the people, an EU that can only ever propose more centralisation as an answer to a problem, and an EU that's not been able to get its accounts past an audit for two decades. Why would we ever want to join that EU if we weren't already members?

The 1975 Common Market was very different to what we have now. I would have been in favour then but against now, and becoming more so with their attitude to both Greece and the refugee problem in the past 12 months.

The EU structures have no formal Opposition, no way of holding them to account on a daily basis, and certainly no way of kicking them out at the ballot box if we decide as the people that they've gone too far. Even those we elect are chosen from party lists, so even if we wanted to get rid of a Hannan or Farage we can't anyway.

That's not democracy, it's autocracy and makes the EU no different to China or Russia in their attitude to those who pay taxes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Quite.

We should be looking at the EU that cannot stand democracy and the will of the people, an EU that can only ever propose more centralisation as an answer to a problem, and an EU that's not been able to get its accounts past an audit for two decades. Why would we ever want to join that EU if we weren't already members?

The 1975 Common Market was very different to what we have now. I would have been in favour then but against now, and becoming more so with their attitude to both Greece and the refugee problem in the past 12 months.

The EU structures have no formal Opposition, no way of holding them to account on a daily basis, and certainly no way of kicking them out at the ballot box if we decide as the people that they've gone too far. Even those we elect are chosen from party lists, so even if we wanted to get rid of a Hannan or Farage we can't anyway.

That's not democracy, it's autocracy and makes the EU no different to China or Russia in their attitude to those who pay taxes.
    The idea that Westminster offers a vibrant democratic alternative is absurd
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

an EU that's not been able to get its accounts past an audit for two decades

This claim is not true.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    J..At least we can change Westminster ..and keep doing it until it gets better..With the EU it will never change at the ballot box..to stay in is to vote for a form of obedience.. without protest..
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    EIT>>Neither is the claim about the 3 million unemployed if we leave..
  • Options

Correct.
  • Options

Correct.
    Technically we don't know whether that is true or not.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    J..Of course not.. Labour front benchers use it all the time..so there must be some truth in it..silly me..
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Good piece, Mr. Eagles.

I'm not sure I agree with the PFJ and JPF comparison. Seems like Vote Leave have their heads screwed on right, and leave.eu is essentially UKIP.
  • Options
    I'm a weak remain. To convert me to a leave shouldn't be a particularly high hurdle. I just need it demonstrated that the gains of leaving outweigh the disadvantage of staying. However, I don't see anyone in the out campaign being able to do it. They appear to be too busy doing peoples front of Judea's impressions to get organised enough to provide, simple, clear concise messaging. And it is simple, clear concise messaging that will win it, because remains campaign will be based on fear of the unknown that must be overcome to win.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Correct.
    Isn't it based on Europe ceasing all trade with the UK if we leave to get to this 3 million figure?
  • Options
    I guess we shall have another thread where Leave supporters can't discern any weakness in any aspect of their side's case and Remain supporters are equally steadfast in the rightness of their position.

Neither side seems to think at all about what undecided voters think, what their concerns are and what might make up their minds.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Correct.
    Fair enough, to restate using the appropriate formal logical terms, the claim that the EU not been able to get its accounts past an audit for two decades is false, whereas the claim about 3 million unemployed is merely bullshit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

This claim is not true.
    Hmmmm..... Hardly a bright shining example of good governance though, is it? They clearly embarrassed the last EU President.

And with good reason. In 2012 " the audit found that £89 billion of European spending was “affected by material error”...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10306461/EU-auditors-must-tone-down-criticism-of-Brussels-spending-says-Herman-Van-Rompuy.html
  • Options
    OT..A Bigger Splash..Fiennes at his finest..
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Sandpit said:

This claim is not true.
    Okay' then list the years when the auditors have signed off the books.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

I'm a weak remain. To convert me to a leave shouldn't be a particularly high hurdle. I just need it demonstrated that the gains of leaving outweigh the disadvantage of staying. However, I don't see anyone in the out campaign being able to do it. They appear to be too busy doing peoples front of Judea's impressions to get organised enough to provide, simple, clear concise messaging. And it is simple, clear concise messaging that will win it, because remains campaign will be based on fear of the unknown that must be overcome to win.

Welcome back, Audrey Anne!
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

This claim is not true.
    Okay' then list the years when the auditors have signed off the books.
    2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014
  • Options
    OT again..The hunters are out in force this foggy frosty morning..sounds like WW3 out there in the olive groves...might take my walk when the fog lifts...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

This claim is not true.
    Hmmmm..... Hardly a bright shining example of good governance though, is it? They clearly embarrassed the last EU President.

And with good reason. In 2012 " the audit found that £89 billion of European spending was “affected by material error”...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/eu/10306461/EU-auditors-must-tone-down-criticism-of-Brussels-spending-says-Herman-Van-Rompuy.html
    That's not good, but it's a lower rate than the US, for example. I'm not sure if the UK gives an overall "affected by fraud and error" type of number but housing benefit administration was somewhere over 5%. (Ministers like to talk like this is all fraud, but the number also covers screw-ups on the administration side.)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I'm getting bored already with the Referendum debate. I shall vote Leave because of 1975 but I think Mr Dodd is correct. In the end, we can influence Westminster. We can't influence Brussels. That is the point that Leave must make.

The EU intends to federalise but they're proceeding on the basis of "softly, softly, catchee monkee." It worked in 1975, it may work now. Most voters won't remember forty years ago.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I'm getting bored already with the Referendum debate. I shall vote Leave because of 1975 but I think Mr Dodd is correct. In the end, we can influence Westminster. We can't influence Brussels. That is the point that Leave must make.

The EU intends to federalise but they're proceeding on the basis of "softly, softly, catchee monkee." It worked in 1975, it may work now. Most voters won't remember forty years ago.

When did you last influence Westminster? How could you tell?

• Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Well said.

And my first birthday post of the day!

• Options
    Happy birthday, Miss Plato.
  • Options
    And once a eurocrat - always a eurocrat since loyalty to the notion of the EU is required to keep your pension perks.

J..At least we can change Westminster ..and keep doing it until it gets better..With the EU it will never change at the ballot box..to stay in is to vote for a form of obedience.. without protest..

• Options
    Happy birthday Plato!
  • Options

And once a eurocrat - always a eurocrat since loyalty to the notion of the EU is required to keep your pension perks.

I can't recall a former commissioner (Mandleson, Kinnock etc) declaring an interest before they pontificate on the EU.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Abroad,

"When did you last influence Westminster? How could you tell?"

Individually ... never. As a voting bloc, sometimes - I'm a pensioner.

I suspect Remain will win because of inertia. When it's as "tedious to wade back as go o'er", the status quo wins.

The choice should be between make our own mistakes vs allow Europe to make our mistakes.

• Options
    Mr. CD13, I agree. Remain, alas, will win.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191

I had you down as being at least twenty-one.

Happy birthday!
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

I suspect Remain will win because of inertia. When it's as "tedious to wade back as go o'er", the status quo wins.

The choice should be between make our own mistakes vs allow Europe to make our mistakes.

Which different mistakes would we have made had we been "Out" in the last 10 or 20 years?

Perhaps a better reform would be to require each Parliamentary candidate to be nominated by at least one expat :o
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sandpit said:

This claim is not true.

That's not good, but it's a lower rate than the US, for example. I'm not sure if the UK gives an overall "affected by fraud and error" type of number but housing benefit administration was somewhere over 5%. (Ministers like to talk like this is all fraud, but the number also covers screw-ups on the administration side.)
    The way to tighten up Euro-spending is to give the EU more powers to supervise the spending. I am a little surprised that is what the BOOers want!

TSE is right. Banging on about immigration and sounding like Farage after a well lubricated lunch is the BOOers mistake. Particularly as some want to stay in the EEA with free movement, and generally it is non-EU immigration that is seen as a threat to the social cohesion of the UK.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Ha! Sadly I can't even be 21 again in hexadecimal. But I can be 31 :smiley:
    Gadfly said:

I had you down as being at least twenty-one.

Happy birthday!
  • Options

Well said.

Congratulations Ms Plato.

Glad to see another youthful PBer :-)
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

Europe has seen quite enough of nation states making their own mistakes.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,028

I guess we shall have another thread where Leave supporters can't discern any weakness in any aspect of their side's case and Remain supporters are equally steadfast in the rightness of their position.

Neither side seems to think at all about what undecided voters think, what their concerns are and what might make up their minds.

I think there's much in that. Each side needs to be talking not to the people who have decided either way, but the people who have not made up their minds, or the millions of people who have not yet given it much thought.

That's the battleground. Whether the fight i with facts or FUD, that's where the referendum will be won and lost.

Oh, and happy birthday Plato.
  • Options
    Mr. Jonathan, everywhere in the world has seen war. It's not a unique European problem. And the EU did not stop genocide in Bosnia, or Russia annexing Crimea.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited December 2015
    On topic, the out side need to sell a change, so they need no more than two or three simple messages. (The in side are selling the status quo, so they can respond with a diverse and colourful confetti of FUD.)

Immigration is obviously going to be one of the messages.

Then they should do one on money, as that reaches voters that immigration won't.

Then finally I guess they should do a Fear one based on how the EU is going to change as it integrates. I'm not really sure how they'd pitch that, though.

Edit: Maybe that last one is too hard to get across and they should do Hope instead. Not sure what, but optimism is easy to combine with patriotism.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

What makes you think that a super-state such as the EU will be immune from making similar, or worse, mistakes?
  • Options
    Happy birthday Plato!
  • Options

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

What makes you think that a super-state such as the EU will be immune from making similar, or worse, mistakes?
    History.

• Options
    edited December 2015

Mr. CD13, I agree. Remain, alas, will win.

In which case you are doomed to decades of Leavers saying "told you so" every time the EU fecks something up.... especially something they specifically told you the EU would feck up, on which, to be fair, their score is quite good (both the EU's score for feck ups, and the Leaver score for predicting them)
  • Options

The way to tighten up Euro-spending is to give the EU more powers to supervise the spending. I am a little surprised that is what the BOOers want!

I guess between them the troika have already got a lot of this covered.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

History.

Maybe something a little more specific ?
    Jonathan said:

So now we have an anti-democratic super-national body to do it for them.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    FPT

I seem to recall that tim ... late of this parish.... who was seen as some form of betting guru , regularly stated that the leadership satisfaction stats were meaningless in terms of GE outcomes and I think OGH too..
    It doesn't say much for the polling companies anyway.. I think I could hazard a guess that that the Tories would be about 8-10 % ahead without any form of complicated polling.. You just need to ask those you come into contact with on a daily basis what they think of Corbyn.. Most of it is unrepeatable in polite company....

Unless something dramatic happens to alter events. Corbyn will never be Prime Minister nor anyone from his hard left acolytes. Its a pity there is no real opposition to the Govt.. That's what will do for the Tories in the end but it might take 20 yrs when Corbymannia and Jezboolah are long forgotten.
  • Options

Happy birthday Plato!

ditto
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,425
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

History.

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

History.

Bismark sold the idea of a United Germany on the basis that a single, sovereign state would be strong, protect German interests and not make all the mistakes of the squabbling invidual states...
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    The thread opener is poor, the most prominent Out group is Vote Leave, they rarely, if ever, mention immigration. Once again we have an insinuation of racism if you have concerns about our growing population.

This despite the PM promising to reduce numbers to tens of thousands. The Tories won primarily because of Miliband and SNP, there were other contributory factors but none as significant. If the Inners start playing the race card it will backfire, people are sick of it, it happens on here all the time.
    There is undoubtedly a sizeable % of the population concerned with immigration that link it with Paris etc, whether or not they associate that with the EU I don't know. There are endless discussions on here about the EU, immigration is barely mentioned.

My point is if IN make this a party campaign they're misjudging the electorate, tribalists assume everybody else feels the same.
  • Options
    I'm thinking of binge-watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, anyone seen it?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

History.
    Such as?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Regardless of the arguments on both sides, the inescapable truth is that the EU is totally unaccountable to us, the taxpayer and voter...It is simply a case of pay your taxes and then sod off.The EU core machine is unstoppable in its present form and close scrutiny of the present, unelected by us, leaders should give a clear indication of where they want to take us..whether we like it or not....that is simply not good enough and unacceptable. The EU needs drastic reform and that is unlikely to happen..so the taxpayer and voter..us.. should leave.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,774

I'm thinking of binge-watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon, anyone seen it?

Weird, but good.

Happy birthday
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

CD13 said:

Mr Abroad,

History.

Sadly knowing history does not in fact prevent people from repeating it. Human nature can still lead us down the same paths.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Brexit lovers seem to assume an EU carries on. But what if a precedent is set? Frexit, Dexit is not in our national interest. We don't want a fragmented basket case on our doorstep.

Would we be happy with an independent Germany or France pursuing their strict national interest without reference to us or anyone else?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited December 2015

CD13 said:

When did you last influence Westminster? How could you tell?

2010 the shambolic regime of Gordon Brown was replaced by the opposition parties who became the new government changing policies and reversing bad ones.

To a lesser extent 2015 voting for the government to continue (just nobody felt like voting for the yellow part of the government).
  • Options

On topic, the out side need to sell a change, so they need no more than two or three simple messages. (The in side are selling the status quo, so they can respond with a diverse and colourful confetti of FUD.)

Immigration is obviously going to be one of the messages.

Then they should do one on money, as that reaches voters that immigration won't.

Then finally I guess they should do a Fear one based on how the EU is going to change as it integrates. I'm not really sure how they'd pitch that, though.

Edit: Maybe that last one is too hard to get across and they should do Hope instead. Not sure what, but optimism is easy to combine with patriotism.

I think they do try hope as a message, that we'll do a lot better outside than in, but I would do a message on how marginal we are in the EU, how contemptuous they are of those who raise concerns now, and what that means for the future. if one believes we are still a nation of reasonable influence, even if we are no superpower, then that diminishes us, and it certainly annoys me.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Brexit lovers seem to assume an EU carries on. But what if a precedent is set? Frexit, Dexit is not in our national interest. We don't want a fragmented basket case on our doorstep.

Would we be happy with an independent Germany or France pursuing their strict national interest without reference to us or anyone else?

A fragmented basket case on our doorstep is preferable to being fully integrated in an existing basket case.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    J France and Germany seem to do that anyway..CAP..migrants by the hundreds of thousands invited in by Germany and then foisted on the rest of the EU..so whats new...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    edited December 2015
    Happy birthday, Plato.

volcanopete's comments on rigging the system on the last thread echoed in greater detail by Rawnsley here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/20/tories-unstitching-tapestry-of-democracy

On topic, successful parties need not so much a vast range of policies as about 3 main themes which cut through to voter attention as important and relevant. At present, for the only vaguely interested voter, Tories=economy, Labour=NHS, UKIP=immigration, SNP=Scotland's interests, LibDems=er, not sure. It's easy to see why English floating voters picked Tories and Scots picked SNP from those - they are more fundamental to most people's everyday lives. (The danger for them is that they are at some point perceived to mess up the economy or Scotland respectively.)

For UKIP merely to announce that they have a new housing policy, say, won't do anything, any more han EdM's disjointed announcements on electricity etc. did much for us. Crime and conservative social values seem the best fit for them.

Remain and Leave both have the problem that EU membership doesn't seem very salient for most voters either way, and they discount the more extreme claims about zillions of unemployed or surrendering all power to Bulgaria. In the absence of clear reasons to withdraw, Remain should have the edge, but they need to beware of low turnout.
  • Options

Regardless of the arguments on both sides, the inescapable truth is that the EU is totally unaccountable to us, the taxpayer and voter...It is simply a case of pay your taxes and then sod off.The EU core machine is unstoppable in its present form and close scrutiny of the present, unelected by us, leaders should give a clear indication of where they want to take us..whether we like it or not....that is simply not good enough and unacceptable. The EU needs drastic reform and that is unlikely to happen..so the taxpayer and voter..us.. should leave.

Based on your premise then the EU will continue to do what it wants even after we have left. It will continue to influence us and constrain us because it will continue to exist.
    The EU/Eurozone will continue to move to ever closer union - its the logical consequence of a single currency, but as stated we will not join the Euro and will not be part of that. So the point of these negotiations is to recast our position in that light. If that position is not satisfactory we can vote to leave. But there will be little difference in being in the EEA to being in the EU as we are now.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

An interesting idea, and i'll admit I never considered it. The EU seems well supported in its key aims across the continent, with even those places with some issues falling into line when push comes to shove most of the time, and supporting a bureaucracy which does not shield its contempt for the UK's concerns, so I feel the EU would carry on just fine. It'd take a hit, but I don't think the level of support for the Brussells machine is merely a projection by that machine, the desires and aims of most of the EU members is in accordance with it, and so long as that is the case, it will carry on if we go. I don't like them dismissing our concerns because we are just one small nation of no consequence, or that we would have no influence outside the EU, but they would still be unified on most key issues if we did leave, so I don't see how us doing so would provoke risk of Frexit for example.
  • Options

Happy birthday, Plato.

volcanopete's comments on rigging the system on the last thread echoed in greater detail by Rawnsley here:
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/dec/20/tories-unstitching-tapestry-of-democracy

Even Rawnsley admits that the changes are all justified.

Labour need to be careful here: it's more obvious than they seem to realise that removing a bias is not introducing a bias.
  • Options

Well said.

Well well - our birthdays are two days apart. But I have a few more years on you I'm afraid.
  • Options
    I'm interested to hear from pb Tories about the introduction of the living wage, bearing in mind you continually trumpet how this govt is pulling back the state.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Jonathan said:

Ha! You honestly think that Germany and France don't pursue their strict national interest within the EU? Admittedly relations between the two have been strained recently, but they do nothing with our interests in mind.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Not going to happen. The people of the continental EU, at the very least, believe in the EU and their subservience to it much more than the British do.

And even if that weren't the case, the Euro will hold its members together.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited December 2015

I'm interested to hear from pb Tories about the introduction of the living wage, bearing in mind you continually trumpet how this govt is pulling back the state.

Companies will be paying more in wages and less in taxes for the government to recycle back to the employees in benefits. Looks like reducing the state to me.
  • Options

We're all PB Tories now, comrade! :)
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Jonathan said:

Not wanting the EU to collapse is the main reason I would vote Remain.
  • Options

Happy birthday, Plato.

Labour need to be careful here: it's more obvious than they seem to realise that removing a bias is not introducing a bias.
    Quite so, and it omits to mention that if this had happened to Labour over a taxation/benefit measure.. Labour would be doing exactly the same thing.

If the HOL wont stick to convention , then they must be made to. Simples.
  • Options

Happy birthday, Plato.

more obvious than they seem to realise that removing a bias is not introducing a bias.
    That is true. I'm not sure on all the changes going on, and certainly the motivation behind some like the Union one I am sure is entirely partisan, but that in itself doesn't make proposed changes unreasonable, though of course they could be.

That said, if the totality of the reasonable changes is such that the Tories gain a clear advantage as a result, perception might be that they are as a package unfair somehow.

The HOL proposals do seem entirely motivated by partisan advantage given the lack of intention to do anything about it until it caused trouble, which makes the changes suspect - at least the Union stuff and the reduction in seats numbers and so on were trailed for a long time and considered.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Jonathan said:

A fragmented basket case on our doorstep is preferable to being fully integrated in an existing basket case.
    The chaos of the eurozone and Schengen have dominated our news for large spells over the last five years, so it could be argued that we already have one.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Major now on Marr
  • Options

According to that buzzfeed quiz yesterday, I'm OpenLabour due to my affinity for Ed M. Shocking stuff.
  • Options
    Did anyone watch the Democratic debate last night? From the limited reports that I've seen, it sounds as though Hillary was in cruise mode and fireworks were limited.
  • Options

But we are in. And the EU is already there today as it is now.
    We are not in the Euro. We are not in Schengen. We are already semi detached. We do need a new relationship with the EU as the Eurozone evolves closer. The rabid leavers want to ignore it altogether. We cannot do that --- a single block on our doorstep of over 400 million?? Where will all the EU inward investment go? Will we still get our (currently large) share? Who can guarantee that? Who can guarantee that Nissan will not inevitably end up in say Bulgaria?
    No one can.
    But if we leave and stay in the EEA. Probably we can continue. But it will be very little different to now. The hysteria hyped up is all over a very small change.
    Unless it was clear we could and would move to an EEA relationship then I would not vote Leave. Any campaign to suggest we do not even join the EEA would simply be an offer to buy an even bigger pig in a poke.
  • Options
    It's a great policy - it decreases welfare claims, it shifts responsibility onto the employers who should never be subsidised like this in the first place and it makes the Tories look nice and cuddly.

What more could one ask?

Companies will be paying more in wages and less in taxes for the government to recycle back to the employees in benefits. Looks like reducing the state to me.
  • Options

Happy birthday, Plato.

Rawnsley isn't AFAIK a Labour supporter and he's not making a Labour case. What's he's arguing is that all the changes, whether individually arguable or not, add up to a systematic strategy that people concerned with having a functioning opposition in the future should have doubts about.
  • Options
    For me the decision is easy, I simply do not agree with the core aims of the EU which is ever closer union and the creation of a Federal State into which UK would be assimilated.

(should appeal to the Star Trek fans me thinks)
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

We are not in the Euro. We are not in Schengen. We are already semi detached. We do need a new relationship with the EU as the Eurozone evolves closer. The rabid leavers want to ignore it altogether. We cannot do that --- a single block on our doorstep of over 400 million?? Where will all the EU inward investment go? Will we still get our (currently large) share? Who can guarantee that? Who can guarantee that Nissan will not inevitably end up in say Bulgaria?
    No one can.
    But if we leave and stay in the EEA. Probably we can continue. But it will be very little different to now. The hysteria hyped up is all over a very small change.
    Unless it was clear we could and would move to an EEA relationship then I would not vote Leave. Any campaign to suggest we do not even join the EEA would simply be an offer to buy an even bigger pig in a poke.
    I mostly agree with that. I think if it was certain that Leave meant EEA on pre-negotiated terms that would change things a lot.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I haven't paid much attention to what Cameron is negotiating bar the welfare limits, but IIRC isn't he also trying for some associate membership where *ever closer union* is explicitly excluded for us/others who don't want federalism?

Now whether that could be trusted is another matter, since a future PM could just hand it away like Mrs T handbag. However I can see the less cynical being swayed by that sort of thing.

For me the decision is easy, I simply do not agree with the core aims of the EU which is ever closer union and the creation of a Federal State into which UK would be assimilated.

(should appeal to the Star Trek fans me thinks)

• Options
    Doesn't EEA involve free movement of labour?
    Wanderer said:

No one can.
    I mostly agree with that. I think if it was certain that Leave meant EEA on pre-negotiated terms that would change things a lot.
  • Options

So the living wage doesn't apply to public sector workers?

Under labour the Tories opposed the min wage now they're introducing a living wage.

I have my principles and if you don't like them I have some more.
  • Options

During the miners strike of 84 I knew a senior NUM official, he always called me comrade!

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited December 2015
    Danny Finkelstein on Friday's Daily Politics

"I think Nigel Farage is right, the way to fight membership of the European Union is on immigration"
This discussion has been closed.