Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Immigration might be the most important issue facing the co

124»

Comments

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited December 2015
    @malcolmg

'Vile right wing rag prints 100% lies and southerners are taken in hook line and sinker, meanwhile locally everybody is perfectly happy and the people are being welcomed. Racist Mail readers unhappy.'

Straight out of the New Labour play book,anyone that raises concern abut immigration / integration is immediately slapped down as a racist.

'Locally everybody is perfectly happy' is the code for a massive disconnect between the SNP hierarchy and the plebs that have to live with their decisions.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,163
    Spain polls anyone???
  • Options
    Just so everyone knows, polls in Spain close at 7pm GMT, with exit polls available immediately.

My guess:

PP 30%
    Podemos 21%
    PSOE 19%
    Citizens 15%

Result PP + Cs hold 175-180 seats...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Spain polls anyone???

Are they "Spain" a new polling-agency: Or should we wait for Andorra to publish 'first'...?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Spain polls anyone???

Strawberrys up, Tomatos down, olives unchanged ;-)
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

I have just come to this thread so forgive me if this is now old ground.

The issue of measuring "immigration" and its impact on EUref voting is fraught to say the least. How do those being polled interpret "immigration"? It ignores the issue of control. Relatively few people favour either unrestrained immigration or a total ban. You're trying to measure something which largely exists in shades of grey by offering a black and white option. I think that is probably the issue that Ashworth was trying to deal with but I don't think you can deal with it.

The other variation TSE mentions is the "you and your family" bit. Do polls usually ask about other than strictly personal opinion? How does one interpret "family"? Is it uncles, aunties, cousins or just immediate and dependant family? I suspect it is the latter but I have no basis for that. Are there cultural differences in interpretation? Surely just asking for a personal opinion will cover the family extension. It will embrace those people you care about and feel some responsibility for (family or not). Including the reference to family will inevitably influence expression of views towards uncontentious factors - everyone thinks the NHS is important and lots of doctors come from overseas.

I suppose my conclusion is that you ignore immigration as a factor at your peril. I've not seen much on how the NHS might be affected by REMAIN or LEAVE and if the Scots can believe the tosh that the SNP spouted about the untold wealth that beckoned following a vote for independence, then the economy issue will be settled as far as EUref is concerned in favour of whoever shouts the loudest. I think you would struggle to find many people who don't think that immigration is at the core of the EUref issues.

For sure the idiots who voted NO are seeing the chickens come home to roost. Tories are having a field day cutting resources off, hard to believe there were so many self seeking fools to be taken in by Tory lies.
    Cutting resources off? The SNP is being given increased power to raise income tax and Holyrood will now control virtually all Scottish domestic policy
    Alas, it is not all Scottish domestic policy, plus of course, Scottish foreign policy.

If the Scots won't vote for independence, I think we are stuck with them. We never managed to get the remaining Caribbean colonies to accept independence and there doesn't seem to be an accepted way of forcing a colony to go it alone. A shame but there we are.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,615
    MP_SE said:

Anyone who thinks Polish immigrants are only in London perhaps needs to drop by any hotel or farm in the land!

Excellent hardworking people doing jobs that Britons do not want to do.

I think that you will find that there are few jobs that British people are unwilling to do. Historically there was little difference between low paid jobs and benefits which removed any incentive to join the workplace. This is slowly changing but to label large number of British people as being lazy is quite offensive.
    Sometimes they aren't as good. But the irony of someone on the left commenting on this issue is that Poland (as an example) is a strongly Catholic country, with strong 'family values', and an education system with selection on aptitude. You've only got to look at their handwriting - it's typically of high quality and 'traditional' looking.Today's generation of feckless and lazy young Britons (and I'm not applying it to all - I'm not long out of the same generation) are the progeny of 'progressive' policies.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

The issue of measuring "immigration" and its impact on EUref voting is fraught to say the least. How do those being polled interpret "immigration"? It ignores the issue of control. Relatively few people favour either unrestrained immigration or a total ban. You're trying to measure something which largely exists in shades of grey by offering a black and white option. I think that is probably the issue that Ashworth was trying to deal with but I don't think you can deal with it.

The other variation TSE mentions is the "you and your family" bit. Do polls usually ask about other than strictly personal opinion? How does one interpret "family"? Is it uncles, aunties, cousins or just immediate and dependant family? I suspect it is the latter but I have no basis for that. Are there cultural differences in interpretation? Surely just asking for a personal opinion will cover the family extension. It will embrace those people you care about and feel some responsibility for (family or not). Including the reference to family will inevitably influence expression of views towards uncontentious factors - everyone thinks the NHS is important and lots of doctors come from overseas.

I suppose my conclusion is that you ignore immigration as a factor at your peril. I've not seen much on how the NHS might be affected by REMAIN or LEAVE and if the Scots can believe the tosh that the SNP spouted about the untold wealth that beckoned following a vote for independence, then the economy issue will be settled as far as EUref is concerned in favour of whoever shouts the loudest. I think you would struggle to find many people who don't think that immigration is at the core of the EUref issues.

For sure the idiots who voted NO are seeing the chickens come home to roost. Tories are having a field day cutting resources off, hard to believe there were so many self seeking fools to be taken in by Tory lies.
    Cutting resources off? The SNP is being given increased power to raise income tax and Holyrood will now control virtually all Scottish domestic policy
    Alas, it is not all Scottish domestic policy, plus of course, Scottish foreign policy.

If the Scots won't vote for independence, I think we are stuck with them. We never managed to get the remaining Caribbean colonies to accept independence and there doesn't seem to be an accepted way of forcing a colony to go it alone. A shame but there we are.
    Well foreign policy is not determined by states or regions in any federal state but what the Scots really want is FFA not independence which is ultimately what they will probably get
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2015
    ***** BETTING POST *****

The best odds available for Britain voting to leave the EU in the referendum are 13/8 (2.625 decimal) on offer from Hills.
    It seems to me that were we to vote thus, a certain consequence would be Cameron's resignation as Tory leader (and therefore as Prime Minister), having been seen to fail so miserably in his EU negotiations. Those nice people at Hills are offering odds of 9/1 against him resigning in 2016 and 8/1 against him resigning in 2017, which in combination (given the uncertaity of the referendum date) results in odds of 3.74/1 should he cease to be leader during this two year period.
    Of course, irrespespective of the referendum result, or in the event of it it going in his favour, he might decide to resign anyway, bearing in mind his earlier indication to leave office during the current 5 year Parliamentary term.
    Anyway, what I am suggesting here is that the odds of 3.74/1 look decidedly more attractive compared with the straightforward EU Leave odds of 1.625/1.
    One word of caution here - should you decide to invest, I hope you are able to do so on a more meaningful basis than yours truly, who was only allowed to place tiny stakes against such an eventuality.
    As ever, DYOR.

PS Please vote for me in the forthcoming 2015 TOTY contest!
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

ICYMI-‏@Kevin_Maguire Dec 19
    "Why did 800 people boo George Osborne at the London premiere of the new Star Wars film? That was the cinema's capacity".
    Confirms Osborne's price is too short and a lay,lay,lay-in the betting sense.If he goes for Remain,he could easily be on the wrong side of the selectorate of the Tory party and he polls worse than Jezza.Corbyn v Osborne could swing things Labour's way on the vital question of leadership.Osborne just hasn't got it and Corbyn's consensual and inclusive style may be an attractive alternative.

Wrong, Osborne does not poll worse than Jezza, indeed Opinium today has Osborne leading Corbyn as preferred PM 24% to 21%
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/19/30-per-cent-labour-supporters-jeremy-corbyn-not-leader-election#comment-65420476
    Sure, it's a very thin margin though.
    Enough to ensure Osborne has a big enough lead in seats to remain PM even if it is a hung parliament
    Still astonishly bad numbers to be in a statistical dead heat with someone who is commonly regarded as unelectable. Particularly given the fact that amongst conservatives he is generally seen as doing a brilliant job. Another parallell with brown who had a lot of support within the party - almost certainly more popular than Blair - whilst the rest of the country regarded him as a wrong-un.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Anorak said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Danny Finkelstein on Friday's Daily Politics

"I think Nigel Farage is right, the way to fight membership of the European Union is on immigration"

Then Finkelstein is a fool.
    their life
    I the outcome of the referendum. – Strikes me as daft for the Leave camp to have only one string to its bow.
    Its the most relevant issue and the easiest to make a point with to many people who aren't interested in politics. The technical arguments for leaving just wont resonate with 99% of people however much they turn on those who like arguing about politics
    It's not about motivating the 35% for whom immigration is the biggest issue. Those people will come and vote Out regardless.
    You say that as if the other 65% are pro immigration!
    I'm not saying the other 65% are pro immigration.

But don't forget that half the country barely sees an immigrant. The vast majority of immigration (particularly EU immigration) is into the South East.
    You really are out of touch with how things have changed during the last decade.
    Indeed. My folks are in rural Cumbria, and have stated on several occasions that they see a lot of immigrants. Now, admittedly, this is compared a vanishingly small base, and a lot are tradesmen so have more contact with the community than average. But still, saying "half the country barely sees an immigrant" is a sign that someone needs to leave the capital more...

[As an aside, Mum and Dad think the new tradesmen and better and cheaper than the local ones, who needed a "kick up the arse" in their view.]
    Anyone who thinks Polish immigrants are only in London perhaps needs to drop by any hotel or farm in the land!

Well, I think it's a lazy stereotype to label (mostly young) British workers in that way. Unfortunately, as Yougov have shown, it's a stereotype that is widely believed.

It's more likely that the wages on offer for hard physical work are unappealing to someone who's been brought up in a rich country; or that Polish workers are often choosing to work below their skill level, due to the disparity in wages between the two countries; or that British workers are keen to get promoted, and will resign from their jobs in search of better opportunities.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The BBC Sports Personality market is worth a second look.Jessica Ennis-Hall looks the bet to me at 11-4.There needs to be a public verdict on Tyson Fury.just maybe Jessica expresses that best.Boring Andy Murray is odds-on fav and will attract the MalcolmG's of this world but Jessica usually comes up quick and late up the rail.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Just so everyone knows, polls in Spain close at 7pm GMT, with exit polls available immediately.

My guess:

PP 30%
    Podemos 21%
    PSOE 19%
    Citizens 15%

Yesterday's Andorra fruits had:

PP 26.6
    Podemos 21.5
    PSOE 20.1
    Cs 15.3%

And has PP + Cs getting 161
    with
    PSOE + Podemos getting 160

I think they are too low particularly on the PP seats; Spain has lots of regional three and four member constituencies, where the PP is very strong. So long as they have more than 2x the third place vote share, they get 2 seats in the three seat constituencies; and so long as they are twice the fourth place share, they get two in the four seat constituencies.

As the PP polls 40% in rural areas, this means they'll certainly get two out of four in all the four seat rural constituencies, and quite a lot of two out of threes in the three seat ones. For this reason, I very much doubt the PP will fall below 125 seats.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Well, we know that Britons should expect to live their lives in shared rooms now - but they are too lazy to have it any other way. You know they would keep coal in the bath if they had a house.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    PAW...Polish coal of course..
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    HYUFD said:

Well foreign policy is not determined by states or regions in any federal state but what the Scots really want is FFA not independence which is ultimately what they will probably get

To be sure, but FFA is a chimera (can Scotland be allowed to borrow what it likes on England's credit card). Then we have this nonsense that Scotland will not accept a Conservative government in Westminster. No, it won't do. The genie is out of the bottle, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, choose whatever metaphor you like but Scotland will become an independent state sooner or later. I think it is in everyone's interest to make it sooner.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,018

The BBC Sports Personality market is worth a second look.Jessica Ennis-Hall looks the bet to me at 11-4.There needs to be a public verdict on Tyson Fury.just maybe Jessica expresses that best.Boring Andy Murray is odds-on fav and will attract the MalcolmG's of this world but Jessica usually comes up quick and late up the rail.

I've laid her out slightly actually.
  • Options
    Tom said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

"Why did 800 people boo George Osborne at the London premiere of the new Star Wars film? That was the cinema's capacity".
    Confirms Osborne's price is too short and a lay,lay,lay-in the betting sense.If he goes for Remain,he could easily be on the wrong side of the selectorate of the Tory party and he polls worse than Jezza.Corbyn v Osborne could swing things Labour's way on the vital question of leadership.Osborne just hasn't got it and Corbyn's consensual and inclusive style may be an attractive alternative.

Wrong, Osborne does not poll worse than Jezza, indeed Opinium today has Osborne leading Corbyn as preferred PM 24% to 21%
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/dec/19/30-per-cent-labour-supporters-jeremy-corbyn-not-leader-election#comment-65420476
    Enough to ensure Osborne has a big enough lead in seats to remain PM even if it is a hung parliament
    Still astonishly bad numbers to be in a statistical dead heat with someone who is commonly regarded as unelectable. Particularly given the fact that amongst conservatives he is generally seen as doing a brilliant job. Another parallell with brown who had a lot of support within the party - almost certainly more popular than Blair - whilst the rest of the country regarded him as a wrong-un.
    After 10 years in government actually, historically speaking, not a bad result for the Tories, if Labour had picked an electable leader Osborne should really be there for the taking! After the Tories picked IDS they similarly doomed their chances in 2005 and even though Howard made a modest recovery even Brown would have beaten him then had he taken over in 2004.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    john_zims said:

@malcolmg

'Vile right wing rag prints 100% lies and southerners are taken in hook line and sinker, meanwhile locally everybody is perfectly happy and the people are being welcomed. Racist Mail readers unhappy.'

Straight out of the New Labour play book,anyone that raises concern abut immigration / integration is immediately slapped down as a racist.

'Locally everybody is perfectly happy' is the code for a massive disconnect between the SNP hierarchy and the plebs that have to live with their decisions.

It is politically ineptitude.Ian Warren has it right.Labour needs to have the humility to listen rather than judge.Plenty of "yabba yabba".It's interesting though that those parts of the country with the lowest immigration fear immigration the most.When you are exposed to internationals from all parts of the world,it's much better.It's desensitisation.I've just spoken German with my Sri Llankan Tamil newsagent and am about to visit my Vietnamese grand-daughter.Anyone who works in the NHS soon get used to it too.It's good to have such diversity.A friendly visit to the Mosque is always welcomed.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

My guess:

PP 30%
    Podemos 21%
    PSOE 19%
    Citizens 15%

Yesterday's Andorra fruits had:

PP 26.6
    Podemos 21.5
    PSOE 20.1
    Cs 15.3%

And has PP + Cs getting 161
    with
    PSOE + Podemos getting 160

I think they are too low particularly on the PP seats; Spain has lots of regional three and four member constituencies, where the PP is very strong. So long as they have more than 2x the third place vote share, they get 2 seats in the three seat constituencies; and so long as they are twice the fourth place share, they get two in the four seat constituencies.

As the PP polls 40% in rural areas, this means they'll certainly get two out of four in all the four seat rural constituencies, and quite a lot of two out of threes in the three seat ones. For this reason, I very much doubt the PP will fall below 125 seats.

There are no constituencies as such, are there? It's done on lists - with each province guaranteed a minimum of two representatives. The practical effect is that lower population density provinces are over-represented. This will definitely help PP (and PSOE in the Andalucia). I can see a combined PP/Cs vote of 45% or so, but I'd be surprised if PP was as high or Cs as low as you think. I also think PSOE are likely to outscore Podemos as its vote will be older and more likely to turn out.

The likeliest outcome is a minority PP government. I would be very surprised if Cs went into formal coalition with them. In the old days a minority government would have been perfectly set up for the Catalan nationalist parties to step in and prop up whoever won most eats in return for hefty concessions. That definitely will not happen this time.
  • Options

Lewis Hamilton again must be a good bet, Andy will win the team competition with the GB Davis Cup team, he did not win a tournament this year, Lewis won another world championship
  • Options

HYUFD said:

To be sure, but FFA is a chimera (can Scotland be allowed to borrow what it likes on England's credit card). Then we have this nonsense that Scotland will not accept a Conservative government in Westminster. No, it won't do. The genie is out of the bottle, you can't put the toothpaste back in the tube, choose whatever metaphor you like but Scotland will become an independent state sooner or later. I think it is in everyone's interest to make it sooner.
    But that is against the express wish of the Scottish people...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

No, Scotland is like Quebec, it will make noises about independence and a second referendum will be very close but in the end it will vote for the continuation of the Union with FFA, just as Quebec did. Cameron is actually more popular in Scotland than Corbyn in today's Opinium and FFA would mean virtually all domestic policy decided at Holyrood anyway
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,159

malcolmg said:

Shame the SNP cut off resources to the Forth Road Bridge then, eh? It's a good job you weren't a self-seeking fool who was taken in by the SNP's lies over it.

And before you give your usual replies: try to give some links to your 'evidence' ...
    Motor mouth appears spouting absolute manure as ever. There was no cut off of resources, dullards like you sourcing your facts from the Daily Mail is tedious in the extreme.

• Options

I agree, Jessica looks great value - I've just backed her at 3.3/1 on the Betfair Exchange, which equates to 3.135/1 net of their 5% commission. Andy Murray is Scottish (and don't we just know it) whereas Jessica is both English, where 85% of SPOTY voters live, as well as being rather more likeable imho.
    DYOR.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Are you as stupid as you make out or are you another dullard that gets their facts from the Daily Mail. You make Jessy sound like a genius.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@malcolmg

Yawn, that will be why they are so popular then , all those plebs so unhappy. Where do you idiots get your material.
  • Options

Another Little Englander spouting their bigotry, go and polish your boots loser.
  • Options

I agree, Jessica looks great value - I've just backed her at 3.3/1 on the Betfair Exchange, which equates to 3.135/1 net of their 5% commission. Andy Murray is Scottish (and don't we just know it) whereas Jessica is both English, where 85% of SPOTY voters live, as well as being rather more likeable imho.
    DYOR.
    The bigots are out in force today,
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Tom said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

After 10 years in government actually, historically speaking, not a bad result for the Tories, if Labour had picked an electable leader Osborne should really be there for the taking! After the Tories picked IDS they similarly doomed their chances in 2005 and even though Howard made a modest recovery even Brown would have beaten him then had he taken over in 2004.
    But they've not even been in government for 6 years yet. I wonder whether the Tory selectorate will be sanguine about Osborne if the numbers look like this in a couple of years time. Of course he'd be favourite to beat Corbyn but surely the conservative ambition is greater than that. You could argue osborne might improve his ratings if growth continues but is there a lot more for voters to find out about him? We've had a lot of all about how early impressions matter with corbyn but the same must go for GO.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, Scotland is like Quebec, it will make noises about independence and a second referendum will be very close but in the end it will vote for the continuation of the Union with FFA, just as Quebec did. Cameron is actually more popular in Scotland than Corbyn in today's Opinium and FFA would mean virtually all domestic policy decided at Holyrood anyway
    So you are as stupid as your posts suggest. As I have said before that is like saying Hitler is less disliked than Gengis Khan.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Are you as stupid as you make out or are you another dullard that gets their facts from the Daily Mail. You make Jessy sound like a genius.
    Thanks for that fact filled reply
  • Options
    Tom said:

HYUFD said:

Tom said:

HYUFD said:

Wanderer said:

HYUFD said:

But they've not even been in government for 6 years yet. I wonder whether the Tory selectorate will be sanguine about Osborne if the numbers look like this in a couple of years time. Of course he'd be favourite to beat Corbyn but surely the conservative ambition is greater than that. You could argue osborne might improve his ratings if growth continues but is there a lot more for voters to find out about him? We've had a lot of all about how early impressions matter with corbyn but the same must go for GO.
    They can always pick Boris if Osborne's ratings really go south, who today's poll suggests would trounce Corbyn, however as long as Osborne's ratings remain ahead of Corbyn's he will get the nod
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So you are as stupid as your posts suggest. As I have said before that is like saying Hitler is less disliked than Gengis Khan.
    Yet we keep being told Scotland is a Cuba without the sunshine and yet Corbyn is left of Sturgeon and not doing that well, we should not forget the Tories won most seats in Scotland in the 1950s, something they have never done in Wales or the NorthEast for example, so clearly Scotland is not that leftwing after all
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    currently first in the Political Betting All Stars fantasy football league because I can spot the Liverpool are crap.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Alistair said:

currently first in the Political Betting All Stars fantasy football league because I can spot the Liverpool are crap.

I can spot it, but am too sad about it to play.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yet we keep being told Scotland is a Cuba without the sunshine and yet Corbyn is left of Sturgeon and not doing that well, we should not forget the Tories won most seats in Scotland in the 1950s, something they have never done in Wales or the NorthEast for example, so clearly Scotland is not that leftwing after all
    And Britain employed 693,000 people in coal mining in 1950 so we must do that today as well.
  • Options
    Hes definitely trolling the media....

this morning, he risked causing further anger after saying in a radio interview that his wife Paris was not going to the ceremony in Belfast because she's 'got the chicken roast on'.

He interrupted his own laughter by suggesting she would be 'chained to the bed. Handcuffed.'

LBC presenter Beverly Turner asked the boxer: 'What does your wife think about all this, Tyson? I'd be fascinated to know what her take on this is.'

The boxer replied: 'Why should she have an opinion?'

When the presenter suggested that his wife would not want to think of him as a 'national baddie', he laughed and jokingly added: 'Listen she's probably at home cooking me a breakfast at the moment for when I get back tomorrow.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3367802/My-wife-home-cooking-chicken-roast-tonight-Tyson-Fury-explains-wife-won-t-evening-s-BBC-Sports-Personality-year-says-isn-t-chained-kitchen-sink-handcuffed-bed.html
  • Options
    5 Man Utd 17 8 29
    9 Liverpool 16 1 24
    15 Chelsea 17 -6 18

Glorious.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting question for the SNP is whether they become the 'establishment party' of Scotland like PNV or CiU (until the split) are in Spain, or whether they follow the Icarus trajectory of PQ in Canada, coming within inches of independence before falling to earth. In the case of the former one would expect to see some splits in the movement as the radical left/maximalists get sick of compromise. Obviously this has failed before with SSP etc, but a 45 to 50% electoral co-alition is damned hard to hold together anywhere.

SLAB and the Scottish Conservatives therefore need to be playing a long game and not expecting an snp collapse any time soon, however a dip in support will inevitably come and someone needs to position themselves for it. Whether that is inside or outside the union is open to question although I'd guess inside.
  • Options

this morning, he risked causing further anger after saying in a radio interview that his wife Paris was not going to the ceremony in Belfast because she's 'got the chicken roast on'.

He interrupted his own laughter by suggesting she would be 'chained to the bed. Handcuffed.'

LBC presenter Beverly Turner asked the boxer: 'What does your wife think about all this, Tyson? I'd be fascinated to know what her take on this is.'

When the presenter suggested that his wife would not want to think of him as a 'national baddie', he laughed and jokingly added: 'Listen she's probably at home cooking me a breakfast at the moment for when I get back tomorrow.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3367802/My-wife-home-cooking-chicken-roast-tonight-Tyson-Fury-explains-wife-won-t-evening-s-BBC-Sports-Personality-year-says-isn-t-chained-kitchen-sink-handcuffed-bed.html

I like Fury, doesn't take himself too seriously - I'll be voting Sinfield for SPOTY though.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Many thanxxx for all the birthday wishes, off to glug fizzy fish fingers.

????? are "fizzy fish fingers"????

Anyway, you seem to be looking forward to it, so happy birthday!
  • Options
    Tom said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Interesting question for the SNP is whether they become the 'establishment party' of Scotland like PNV or CiU (until the split) are in Spain, or whether they follow the Icarus trajectory of PQ in Canada, coming within inches of independence before falling to earth. In the case of the former one would expect to see some splits in the movement as the radical left/maximalists get sick of compromise. Obviously this has failed before with SSP etc, but a 45 to 50% electoral co-alition is damned hard to hold together anywhere.

SLAB and the Scottish Conservatives therefore need to be playing a long game and not expecting an snp collapse any time soon, however a dip in support will inevitably come and someone needs to position themselves for it. Whether that is inside or outside the union is open to question although I'd guess inside.
    I think post Holyrood election is going to be interesting.

All those people who joined in anger on the 19th Septmeber 2014 had the Westminster elections to focus their passion on and then after that and its succeess the slightly further in the future goal of Holyrood 2016. After the Holyrood election there is no 'near' goal to keep them going so I imagine we'll see a steep decline in membership - the real question is how many of the 70 odd thousand who joined in the surge have been turned into operatives who will be around in a decade and how many will drift away to either fringe parties or not being politically involved at all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The most recent SNP budget tells you exactly how left wing the SNP believes Scotland to be.

• Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

And Britain employed 693,000 people in coal mining in 1950 so we must do that today as well.
    Totally different proposition and the legacy of coal mining is still strong in many parts of the country. However polling has shown very little difference in opinion on most issues between Scotland and the rest of the UK other than the EU and nuclear missiles, on welfare, tax, terrorism, social issues etc there is barely a fig leaf of difference between them
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,154
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Shame the SNP cut off resources to the Forth Road Bridge then, eh? It's a good job you weren't a self-seeking fool who was taken in by the SNP's lies over it.

And before you give your usual replies: try to give some links to your 'evidence' ...
    Motor mouth appears spouting absolute manure as ever. There was no cut off of resources, dullards like you sourcing your facts from the Daily Mail is tedious in the extreme.

Nothing from the Daily Mail here. The SNP government cut the bridge's budget by 65%.

The SNP changed the funding model from tolls to direct grants, and then cut those grants. The SNP's reaction to the problems, and Nicola's in particular, has been rather worrying. Especially if you wish Scotland to have good government ...
  • Options
    Tom said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

CiU split when Convergencia became a party of independence, instead of one that saw Catalonia as a country within Spain. Maybe something along the lines of the reverse will happen with the SNP. With the economic case for Scottish independence now almost non-existent, it is not beyond the bounds of possibility that a strand of "nationalism" emerges that sees governing Scotland within the UK as more important than securing independence.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,615

DYOR.
    Whilst not a fan of Andy Murray's personality (admire him as an athlete), I really don't see this.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited December 2015
    Don't know about anybody else, but while the boring PC stuff fest of SPOTY is on BBC 1 (followed by 2hrs of ..yawn... The Apprentice), I shall be watching the far more exciting spectacle of the Darts from Ally Pally on Sky...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSIA4BQFD1g
  • Options
    Off-topic:

There's been a fairly spectacular (and tragic) landslide in Shenzhen:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-35144579
  • Options

Nothing from the Daily Mail here. The SNP government cut the bridge's budget by 65%.

The SNP changed the funding model from tolls to direct grants, and then cut those grants. The SNP's reaction to the problems, and Nicola's in particular, has been rather worrying. Especially if you wish Scotland to have good government ...

Do you think all the other parties that voted to abolish tolls share the blame?

Meanwhile, from the (Lib Dem) councillor who was convener of the Forth Estuary Transport Authority:

'It was the "right decision" to postpone repair work on the Forth Road Bridge until the new Queensferry Crossing opens next year.

That's according to Dunfermline Lib Dem councillor Tony Martin, the last convener of the authority that was in charge of maintaining the 51-year-old structure.

That decision has now backfired spectacularly but he insisted that if the expert advice in 2010 had been that the work could not wait, the project would have gone ahead and the underfire Scottish Government would have paid for it.

Cllr Martin said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If we had decided to do this work, the same people that are complaining about the congestion now would be saying: 'Why are you doing all this work and causing all these delays when a new bridge will open soon?'

"Of course it's an overstressed bridge and because of that it's likely that things could go wrong but the decisions were not taken lightly.

"If we had needed to do the work there and then they would have told us to do it. And we'd have got the money for it."'

http://tinyurl.com/zn4tg56
  • Options

There are no constituencies as such, are there? It's done on lists - with each province guaranteed a minimum of two representatives. The practical effect is that lower population density provinces are over-represented. This will definitely help PP (and PSOE in the Andalucia). I can see a combined PP/Cs vote of 45% or so, but I'd be surprised if PP was as high or Cs as low as you think. I also think PSOE are likely to outscore Podemos as its vote will be older and more likely to turn out.

The likeliest outcome is a minority PP government. I would be very surprised if Cs went into formal coalition with them. In the old days a minority government would have been perfectly set up for the Catalan nationalist parties to step in and prop up whoever won most eats in return for hefty concessions. That definitely will not happen this time.

I agree with all of that: but I'd remember the Spanish provinces can be very small. Andulacia is not a province: Malaga, Granada, and Almeria are provinces (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_subdivisions_of_Spain_by_population).

Quite a few of these provinces - the rural ones - have only 3 or 4 or MPs.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I agree with all of that: but I'd remember the Spanish provinces can be very small. Andulacia is not a province: Malaga, Granada, and Almeria are provinces (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_subdivisions_of_Spain_by_population).

Quite a few of these provinces - the rural ones - have only 3 or 4 or MPs.

Look at the provinces here: http://www.electionresources.org/es/maps.php?election=2011
    You can see how strong the PP is in rural (3 or 4 member) provinces.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    TUD Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing..we seem to have it after most structural disasters
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Pulpstar said:

I like Fury, doesn't take himself too seriously - I'll be voting Sinfield for SPOTY though.
    Reading it in context, it sounds almost as if it's an inside family joke.
  • Options

Meanwhile, from the (Lib Dem) councillor who was convener of the Forth Estuary Transport Authority:

'It was the "right decision" to postpone repair work on the Forth Road Bridge until the new Queensferry Crossing opens next year.

That's according to Dunfermline Lib Dem councillor Tony Martin, the last convener of the authority that was in charge of maintaining the 51-year-old structure.

That decision has now backfired spectacularly but he insisted that if the expert advice in 2010 had been that the work could not wait, the project would have gone ahead and the underfire Scottish Government would have paid for it.

Cllr Martin said: "Hindsight is a wonderful thing. If we had decided to do this work, the same people that are complaining about the congestion now would be saying: 'Why are you doing all this work and causing all these delays when a new bridge will open soon?'

"Of course it's an overstressed bridge and because of that it's likely that things could go wrong but the decisions were not taken lightly.

"If we had needed to do the work there and then they would have told us to do it. And we'd have got the money for it."'

It's not the abolition of the tolls per se; it was the fact the direct grant funding was not guaranteed. It added a layer of political interference where it was not needed.

Oddly, you haven't copied another quote from that article:
    Cllr Martin said: "Once the tolls were scrapped by the SNP we had no income and were funded by Transport Scotland so of course when their budget was cut, our budget was cut.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Some people had foresight of the problems and they were ignored. Whereas Nicola and the SNP have no sight at all when it comes to this.

Still, I wouldn't expect you to admit the SNP mucked up badly. You just need to explain Mackay's lies about the contract, and Sturgeon's rather oddly disingenuous comments as well.

This will happen if governments of all stripes chase vainglorious new infrastructure projects (Queensferry Crossing, Borders rail etc) whilst ignoring maintenance of existing infrastructure. As the US government has discovered to its cost.

Scotland was lucky.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-35W_Mississippi_River_bridge
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,020

It's not the abolition of the tolls per se; it was the fact the direct grant funding was not guaranteed. It added a layer of political interference where it was not needed.

Cllr Martin said: "Once the tolls were scrapped by the SNP we had no income and were funded by Transport Scotland so of course when their budget was cut, our budget was cut.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Some people had foresight of the problems and they were ignored. Whereas Nicola and the SNP have no sight at all when it comes to this.

Still, I wouldn't expect you to admit the SNP mucked up badly. You just need to explain Mackay's lies about the contract, and Sturgeon's rather oddly disingenuous comments as well.

This will happen if governments of all stripes chase vainglorious new infrastructure projects (Queensferry Crossing, Borders rail etc) whilst ignoring maintenance of existing infrastructure. As the US government has discovered to its cost.

Scotland was lucky.

Blimey.Can you imagine minding your own business and the bridge collapses underneath you!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

That last bit is not wholly true, though it may reflect on those junior doctors you were so keen to support. Take for example the big market gardens in the Chichester area, there is no way a Brit, no matter how fit and hard working, can get a look in now; all the labour is sewn up by Polish gangmasters working out of Bognor Regis.

I would also take issue that there are lots of jobs that Brits don't want to do and/or are too lazy to do well. A good chunk of the problem is down to employers falling for the propaganda (such as your own post) and applying reverse discrimination - this youngster is a Brit therefore they are lazy, unreliable, etc. so I'd best reject them in favour of a Lithuanian, Pole, whatever. Then we have the firms that will not train Brits, and why should they because they can import such rare skills as welders from abroad.

We have a lousy education system and we have too many young people who are content to live on benefits (and minor crime), but to write off so many people into some ghastly underclass because it is easier to import labour is a very wicked thing.
    Except that employment rates for Britons including youngsters are very high too. There has not been a better time to be a young Briton looking for work. The Poles and others are in addition to Britons getting jobs, not in place of them.

I work with quite a lot of EU migrant workers in both medicine and nursing. A great bunch on the whole, and it is great that we can tap into that workforce so easily.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,051
    edited December 2015
    I really want Tyson to win. Go Tyson you homophobic, misogynist- I wouldn't say that to his face mind. But us Tysons have to stick together. Go Tyson

DYOR.
    Whilst not a fan of Andy Murray's personality (admire him as an athlete), I really don't see this.
  • Options

TUD Hindsight is indeed a wonderful thing..we seem to have it after most structural disasters

Thickos are doing well here , advocating shutting the bridge to fix an imaginary fault in case it happens, but complaining because it is shut to fix it, what kind of morons are on here
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scotland was lucky.

Blimey.Can you imagine minding your own business and the bridge collapses underneath you!

There was no danger of the bridge collapsing , hysteria from idiots who understand nothing.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

There was no danger of the bridge collapsing , hysteria from idiots who understand nothing.
    I never said it did. I was pointing out the perils of not spending the required money on maintenance of important structures. The Mississippi bridge collapse is a sad and classic example.

If things are not maintained properly, they can fail. In the case of the Forth Road Bridge, it failed at components that prevented use of the bridge. It could easily have been more critical components.

And that's leaving aside the risk of cascading failures in what is now a severely overloaded bridge. From memory, the load (safety( capacity has already gone down from 2.5/2.6 to 2, and is decreasing further. If it goes much lower engineers will not be happy with continued use without major alterations ...

And yes, they've known this for well over a decade. Read the reports.
This discussion has been closed.