Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Cameron struggles to make progress with the EU talks two

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Cameron struggles to make progress with the EU talks two new referendum polls have LEAVE moving up

What we really need are some more phone polls which have suggested a very different outcome from the online surveys which predominate. There are three December phone polls to come and I’m hoping that ComRes, ICM for the Guardian and Ipsos-MORI will have included referendum voting intentions – after all we could just be months away from the actual election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    First
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Polls at this stage mean very little. A lot depends on what the campaigns are like. q.v. the AV referendum.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    These polls significantly strengthen Cameron's hand. If he supports Brexit, we are gone.

Shame his ambitions are such thin gruel. He could have rolled his sleeves up and said "Right. Let's face up to some hard truths. The EU is badly broken. Let's start with books that haven't been signed off for twenty years.... And the cost of these crazy rotating venues. And the mess of our borders. I'm ready to talk about an EU fit for the twenty first century. That's what Britain is interested in. But if you want to keep something frozen in the 1950's, then my people are ready to walk away from this mess. Now, if you are serious about ever greater integration, that needs a common language. So, in thirty years time, there will only be one official language across the EU. English....Next...."

Now THAT would be a renegotiation.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Good decision by the House of Lords yesterday not to back voting for 16-17 year olds.

Irrespective, I still believe the referendum will take place in 2017.

Agree, the outcome is too close to call, but the direction of travel is promising.

Still have little faith in UK polling, until proved otherwise I’ll take everything with a bag of salt.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Test
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Online polls on this issue are even less reliable than to a GE. However, the rantings of the Booers on here are great fun, especially the visceral hatred of the PM, even though he's given them the referendum they claim they wanted and the result of which they are desperately fearful of. :)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    How much time is needed between the announcement of the date and the date itself? I suppose there might be enough time to do it next September but next May/June feels too close.
  • Options

These polls significantly strengthen Cameron's hand. If he supports Brexit, we are gone.

Shame his ambitions are such thin gruel. He could have rolled his sleeves up and said "Right. Let's face up to some hard truths. The EU is badly broken. Let's start with books that haven't been signed off for twenty years.... And the cost of these crazy rotating venues. And the mess of our borders. I'm ready to talk about an EU fit for the twenty first century. That's what Britain is interested in. But if you want to keep something frozen in the 1950's, then my people are ready to walk away from this mess. Now, if you are serious about ever greater integration, that needs a common language. So, in thirty years time, there will only be one official language across the EU. English....Next...."

Now THAT would be a renegotiation.

• Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    edited December 2015
    Note to MM and HP: negotiation does not consist of telling the other person what they must and must not do.

That is how two-year-olds carry on.

• Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    FPT:

The most obvious and salient point is that the country you refer to makes things people want to buy.

And is able to sell them, fantastically successfully (more successfully than any other developed nation), all over the world. And yet - according to you - it is hidebound by being a member of the EU.

You don't see a tiny little problemette with your position?

Or, to put it more accurately, your position is completely and comprehensively demolished by the facts.

You should worry more about how to answer the argument that Germany has been helped by EU membership, which gives it such a big home market. It's a jolly strong argument for the Remain side.
    We are lucky that you are "undecided" otherwise you might be making an argument for remaining.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Polls at this stage mean very little. A lot depends on what the campaigns are like. q.v. the AV referendum.

Many of the key organisers behind the AV campaign that won, are running the LEAVE campaign. The LDs that lost the AV campaign are in the REMAIN group. The key person that is not is Cameron.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2015
    Re OGH's point on phone polls, if the problem with online polls is too many young people, then since they are mainly europhile REMAIN could be overstated.. But the pollsters say they have corrected for the GE Ballsup, but have they?
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    There seems to be two maybe three papers leading with this polling - DT and Mail are big on it. All very helpful to negotiations whatever we think of it on here.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited December 2015
    I suspect that no-one really knows what will happen either way, and most opinions to date are :"gut feeling".
    If we vote to stay will we, the Great British People, at the next Euro elections election some sensible people who will try to make things work, as oppsed to a few troughers who are obsessed with throwing sand in the works, and will work with sensible partners in Europe rather than the "well over to the right"?
    Doing so, I suggest would make a difference at a lot of levels.
    If we leave, will we find ourselves doing what the Kiwis and Aussies had to do when we scrapped Commonwealth Preference.... having to find a significant amount of new markets? Will we find major capital raising taking place in Paris and Frankfurt rather than London?

At this moment, no-one seems to have seriously set out anything.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

There seems to be two maybe three papers leading with this polling - DT and Mail are big on it. All very helpful to negotiations whatever we think of it on here.

I think that's probably right
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    David Cameron...the new hope for Lib Dem EU pensioners...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Turnout may well be key, if it is like Sindy then "Remain" wins at a canter. I note in 1975 the turnout was 78% of the GE turnout.

Also the most eurosceptic place in the UK was the Western isles. Wonder if they'll vote "No" so heavily again ?
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

Statistical noise. Nothing more.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Statistical noise. Nothing more.

Yes. But then again, it's statistical noise around a 50/50 chance. This may well be tight.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, yeah, but the vote's well off. Most people aren't thinking about it vaguely, let alone seriously.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    FPT
    viewcode said:

The question is not whether the Germans will refuse to sell us cars: plainly they will continue to do so. The question is under what circumstances and for what cost

@moses
    Mmmmm.....that has the slight taint of blackmail about it. It is interesting really because this is how I have viewed the European Project for many years. Not a trading group with freedom to cross borders but a political entity to control vast swathes of the European continent under the threat of do as we say or else. It's the politics we see when we lift up the stone we should really be concerned about, not the trading of motor cars which will continue either way.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    runnymede said:

David Cameron...the new hope for Lib Dem EU pensioners...

you'll never be happy until its a one party right wing govt..
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

The question is not whether the Germans will refuse to sell us cars: plainly they will continue to do so. The question is under what circumstances and for what cost

@moses
    Mmmmm.....that has the slight taint of blackmail about it. It is interesting really because this is how I have viewed the European Project for many years. Not a trading group with freedom to cross borders but a political entity to control vast swathes of the European continent under the threat of do as we say or else. It's the politics we see when we lift up the stone we should really be concerned about, not the trading of motor cars which will continue either way.

Will we be selling in across a tariff barrier?
  • Options
    Hopi Sen has decided that today is a good day to be a bullet magnet:

http://hopisen.com/?p=6549
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Good morning all.

Time to get in the party mood:
    https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/676671553870761984
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Pulpstar said:

Turnout may well be key, if it is like Sindy then "Remain" wins at a canter. I note in 1975 the turnout was 78% of the GE turnout.

Also the most eurosceptic place in the UK was the Western isles. Wonder if they'll vote "No" so heavily again ?

What's interesting is that the most pro European places in 1975 are likely to be the most Eurosceptic this time.
  • Options
    The next Euros are in 2019 aren't they?

I suspect that no-one really knows what will happen either way, and most opinions to date are :"gut feeling".
    If we vote to stay will we, the Great British People, at the next Euro elections election some sensible people who will try to make things work, as oppsed to a few troughers who are obsessed with throwing sand in the works, and will work with sensible partners in Europe rather than the "well over to the right"?
    Doing so, I suggest would make a difference at a lot of levels.
    If we leave, will we find ourselves doing what the Kiwis and Aussies had to do when we scrapped Commonwealth Preference.... having to find a significant amount of new markets? Will we find major capital raising taking place in Paris and Frankfurt rather than London?

At this moment, no-one seems to have seriously set out anything.

• Options
    IIRC the next Eurocrats meeting to discuss our new deal or not is February. Holding a ref within 3 or 4 months of that feels too close to me. September would fit, dragging into 2017 = I hope not.
    tlg86 said:

How much time is needed between the announcement of the date and the date itself? I suppose there might be enough time to do it next September but next May/June feels too close.

• Options

Only near, and actual five figure pb.com posting obsessives will read such self interested guff though, Mr @Antifrank :)
  • Options
    edited December 2015

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

Why not, they are so small as to be insignificant, and that chance of our EU-ex-partners says "go away" to a market of 60mn people with well above average disposable income is close to zero.

Your europhilic scaremongering would embarrass Foxinsocks... maybe ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Only near, and actual five figure pb.com posting obsessives will read such self interested guff though, Mr @Antifrank :)
    I've fewer than 700 posts to go before I have to admit I'm an obsessive. Don't take that from me prematurely.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

Why not, they are so small as to be insignificant, and that chance of our EU-ex-partners says "go away" to a market of 60mn people with well above average disposable income is close to zero.

Nah. I don't do scaremongering, I am pro-EU for positive rather than negative reasons.

Leicester are quite keen to get into Europe next year!
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Poor old Hopi Sen, all his core beliefs down the plug-hole, well almost.
    What does a man do, while still quoting "The Red Flag", seeing his pink party turn deepest red, and really can't stand the stink of the New Communism being formed?
  • Options
    I'm expecting a great deal of threatening, followed by lots of short term sulking if we vote Leave - and a fair amount of being deliberately difficult to *teach us a lesson* if we vote Remain.

I really don't have a sliver of doubt that things will be 98% the same as now EU trade wise. They want to sell stuff - we want to buy it. We're already customers and suppliers they know. Apart from a very small hardcore of grievance numpties - no business will cut off its nose here.
    Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

• Options
    Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

That's too often the trouble with the Leavers; ask a (reasonably) sensible question and as well as a somewhat optimistic answer one gets abuse.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

The Brussels bureaucracy would not want exit to look easy to other member states. Accordingly, there probably would be some initial stupidity about trade access terms. That might be quite durable.

That is not a reason to remain. We should not be blackmailed, expressly or implicitly.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, quite.

Pay Danegeld one year, and it'll rise the next.
  • Options
    That he's quoting screeds of the Labour rule book to justify his position shows how doomed he is.
    MikeK said:

Poor old Hopi Sen, all his core beliefs down the plug-hole, well almost.
    What does a man do, while still quoting "The Red Flag", seeing his pink party turn deepest red, and really can't stand the stink of the New Communism being formed?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

The Brussels bureaucracy would not want exit to look easy to other member states. Accordingly, there probably would be some initial stupidity about trade access terms. That might be quite durable.

That is not a reason to remain. We should not be blackmailed, expressly or implicitly.
    Blackmail is an ugly word, I prefer the term 'incentive based decision making'
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    It's hard to get away from the last line of the thread header, I despair that people are waiting to be told how to vote, and not because it's Cameron. The idea of a democracy is to decide how you would like to be governed and vote accordingly for the group of people that most closely represents your views. Now it's the reverse.

For too long we've had X Factor politics, people cheering on the person they like the most, irrespective of what they stand for. Everything the Tories goaded the Blairites about is repeating itself, I find it genuinely puzzling that hitherto rational people can behave in such a fawning manner.
  • Options
    The exciting outcome would be if England voted narrowly to leave whilst the other nations in the UK voted to stay, in sufficient numbers to produce "Stay" in the UK as a whole.
  • Options

IIRC the next Eurocrats meeting to discuss our new deal or not is February. Holding a ref within 3 or 4 months of that feels too close to me. September would fit, dragging into 2017 = I hope not.

tlg86 said:

Chance of getting all 27 other members to agree to the principle of treaty change in 2016... I'd reckon at less than 40%. Even getting it agreed by autumn 2017 can't be more than 85%.
  • Options
    This has to be good news for Remain

Merger talks between the rival Leave campaigns have collapsed

http://bit.ly/1RlwFMO
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    The media reporting of Cameron's efforts, especially the BBC, may well be driving this pick up in out. I suspect the vast majority of sane people have very little grasp of the details but they are constantly being told that their elected PM is being disrespected and they don't like it.

Personally, I am very dubious about any of the media froth about the renegotiation. I have been involved in enough negotiations to understand that there is a lot of posturing going on. This is not to say that Cameron will be able to deliver anything substantive, it is simply too early to say either way.

What is clear is that the British love of the EU is very strained, very tired and frankly very calculating. We are akin to the unhappy spouse who is conscious that staying together means certainty, security and probably a higher level of prosperity in the short term but who dreams of a new and better life with new opportunities and the possibility of doing better in the longer run.

I am tending towards the latter view and found Robert's comments about this on the previous thread persuasive. What I would like to see is a consensus develop that we will seek to remain in the EEA, that we are realistic about the costs and limitations that that would impose on us and that most of the fantasies of the Brexit supporters be discarded.

We need to recognise that in or out the EU would be our major trading partner, that we would have to accept a lot of their rules in our domestic law to have that trading access, that we would have relatively little input into those rules and that most of our efforts to reach trade agreements with the rest of the world will be on the EU's coat tails. But if we are pragmatic and realistic about it I can still see that being a better future than being full members of a club dominated by the EZ, constantly out of step with our friends.

If Cameron found a new settlement that assuaged my concerns I could still be tempted to vote for In but this is looking less and less likely in a continent struggling to cope with mass waves of refugees and persistently high unemployment. They simply have other priorities.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

It's actually a very positive reason to vote LEAVE. Do we want to belong to something that would act so petulantly?
  • Options

Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

There's also the fact that the will not wish to set a precedent for other countries seeking access to the single market. Finally, if they offer is better terms than Switzerland or the EFTA states, then they would almost certainly need to offer those terms to EFTA...

For this reason, the most sensible solution would be a move to EFTA/EEA as soon as practically possible, and then to have a considered discussion -from there- about the relationship we wish to have.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

Pulpstar said:

I've fewer than 700 posts to go before I have to admit I'm an obsessive. Don't take that from me prematurely.
    Apologies, but what about pretty vanilla posts?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    We will be like the Irish.. if we vote to leave, we will keep on voting till we vote to remain.
  • Options

It's hard to get away from the last line of the thread header, I despair that people are waiting to be told how to vote, and not because it's Cameron. The idea of a democracy is to decide how you would like to be governed and vote accordingly for the group of people that most closely represents your views. Now it's the reverse.

For too long we've had X Factor politics, people cheering on the person they like the most, irrespective of what they stand for. Everything the Tories goaded the Blairites about is repeating itself, I find it genuinely puzzling that hitherto rational people can behave in such a fawning manner.

It's entirely rational to take the lead from someone whose judgement you trust on a subject and who you consider better informed than you. Many people feel that way about David Cameron. I can understand that. He has a professional and steady air, and comes across as intelligent, decent, pragmatic and open-minded to many. Why wouldn't Joe Public who feels that way, isn't that interested in or informed about the EU but wants to do his civic duty take the advice of a leader he trusts?
  • Options
    Mr. L, that reminds me. I often knock broadcast news, but was very impressed by the leading BBC piece at ten about China's land grab (or land-manufacture) in the South China sea. Made excellent use of the footage, and audio, the reporter went out to discover, including three runways on manufactured islands, and the international response.

It's a very important issue, and the BBC went out of their way to report on it. Nice to see good journalism at the top of the news agenda.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Moses_ said:

FPT
    viewcode said:

@moses

It's actually a very positive reason to vote LEAVE. Do we want to belong to something that would act so petulantly?
    Don't forget that the EU will have "most favoured nation" clauses in trade treaties already, so negotiation will need be simultaneously with us and with other non-EU countries where such clauses exist

Even without petulance, it will be a complicated procedure.

Hence my suggestion of us going back into EFTA as a transitional state, and which would trigger none of these issues.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought the slate was wiped clean precisely so that I could defer that moment.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    rcs1000 said:

tlg86 said:

Chance of getting all 27 other members to agree to the principle of treaty change in 2016... I'd reckon at less than 40%. Even getting it agreed by autumn 2017 can't be more than 85%.
    The chance of all 27 nationals actually ratifying any treaty chance resulting from such agreement, and/or it surviving a challenge at the ECJ must be very close to zero.

Fundamentally that is my problem with this whole charade, its bullshit, we are trying to push the rest of Europe in a direction is doesn't want to go, it won't go there. There will be endless challenges to the ECJ for any "legal agreement" and not the faintest chance that any treaty changes will be ratified by the electorates of say... France. Even if we get an agreement, which is looking dwindlingly unlikely, the chance of it still being in play in 5 years time is microscopic.

tl;dr The British people are being asked to barter their sovereignty against something that won't happen, or if it does, won't last until the ink dries. None of which is in Cameron's gift.
  • Options

We will be like the Irish.. if we vote to leave, we will keep on voting till we vote to remain.

No we won't.

If we vote to leave, then leave we shall.
  • Options

It's entirely rational to take the lead from someone whose judgement you trust on a subject and who you consider better informed than you. Many people feel that way about David Cameron. I can understand that. He has a professional and steady air, and comes across as intelligent, decent, pragmatic and open-minded to many. Why wouldn't Joe Public who feels that way, isn't that interested in or informed about the EU but wants to do his civic duty take the advice of a leader he trusts?
    My biggest regret of the last parliament was Cameron coming out against AV.

If only had the voters understood AV better his intervention would not have been a game changer.
  • Options
    edited December 2015

I despair at the near automatic voting habits of most people, but I am always baffled when people extend that to concern the recommendation of a party leader might sway people. Of course that should not be someone's only consideration I would hope, but if they are balancing factors then the view of someone you respect might tip the balance. That isn't in itself fawning behaviour, even if people will, we think, decide contrary to their interests. We do not know to what degree they based their decision on that leaders view.

And ultimately, if people decide to base their vote on stupid reasons, that's their right and we will be governed as we deserve.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The media reporting of Cameron's efforts, especially the BBC, may well be driving this pick up in out. I suspect the vast majority of sane people have very little grasp of the details but they are constantly being told that their elected PM is being disrespected and they don't like it.

Personally, I am very dubious about any of the media froth about the renegotiation. I have been involved in enough negotiations to understand that there is a lot of posturing going on. This is not to say that Cameron will be able to deliver anything substantive, it is simply too early to say either way.

What is clear is that the British love of the EU is very strained, very tired and frankly very calculating. We are akin to the unhappy spouse who is conscious that staying together means certainty, security and probably a higher level of prosperity in the short term but who dreams of a new and better life with new opportunities and the possibility of doing better in the longer run.

I am tending towards the latter view and found Robert's comments about this on the previous thread persuasive. What I would like to see is a consensus develop that we will seek to remain in the EEA, that we are realistic about the costs and limitations that that would impose on us and that most of the fantasies of the Brexit supporters be discarded.

We need to recognise that in or out the EU would be our major trading partner, that we would have to accept a lot of their rules in our domestic law to have that trading access, that we would have relatively little input into those rules and that most of our efforts to reach trade agreements with the rest of the world will be on the EU's coat tails. But if we are pragmatic and realistic about it I can still see that being a better future than being full members of a club dominated by the EZ, constantly out of step with our friends.

If Cameron found a new settlement that assuaged my concerns I could still be tempted to vote for In but this is looking less and less likely in a continent struggling to cope with mass waves of refugees and persistently high unemployment. They simply have other priorities.

Sir, parts of the EU would be our major trading partner, ie Germany, France and maybe a couple of others. The trade we do with Malta and Croatia for example is negligible.

We need to emphasise that everybody should be free to trade with whom they wish and the EU is really little to do with trade it's about political union and financial control, just have a look at Greece.

We simply don't need to be in the EU to trade, people like dealing with us, more importantly we don't want the inevitable ever closer political union, because if we vote to stay in effect that's what we're agreeing to, no turning back.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

And depending on how much we leave the Irish would have some very big decisions to make. I had an interesting chat with some Irish friends about this recently. Their view was that it was inevitable that if the UK left Ireland would end up leaving too. Our market is just too important to their economy, more important than the rest of the EU put together. They could not afford any kind of trade barriers or other impediments to trade with us or even the risk of such barriers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pre vanilla rather.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

An informed audience is the only worthwhile audience!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

And depending on how much we leave the Irish would have some very big decisions to make. I had an interesting chat with some Irish friends about this recently. Their view was that it was inevitable that if the UK left Ireland would end up leaving too. Our market is just too important to their economy, more important than the rest of the EU put together. They could not afford any kind of trade barriers or other impediments to trade with us or even the risk of such barriers.
    Serious question: has there ever been a suggestion or threat from the EU about the imposition of trade barriers? I'd hope not.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if I'd clocked up 100k posts over the years. :open_mouth:

We've had Robert's message system, then Disqus, and now Vanilla = maybe another shortlived one too.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pre vanilla rather.
  • Options

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

Serious question: has there ever been a suggestion or threat from the EU about the imposition of trade barriers? I'd hope not.
    No
  • Options
    Miss Plato, shade of Doctor Evil there.

"100 BILLION posts!" :p
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

Robert, I've sent you a PM.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

This last sentence highlights the idiocy of the whole EU proposition, and in many ways its biggest downside. If the UK is Ireland's biggest trading partner then an Ireland in the EU should be able to sign a Free Trade Agreement with a UK outside the EU, but the EU wont allow member states to sign their own FTAs they have to be done by Brussels. Hence the EU doesn't have an FTA with China, but Thailand, Peru and New Zealand (and others) do.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

No
    Thanks, that's another bogeyman dealt with.

• Options
    From the article on the merger talks collapsing between the rival Leave groups.

During what is described as a “cordial” meeting, Mills and Hodson were frank about their reservations. They cited what they see as Banks’ “erratic” behaviour and his determination to put immigration at the heart of the Brexit campaign as key barriers to a full merger.

They also raised the thorny question of the role to be played by Nigel Farage, over which the rival campaigns disagree. (Vote Leave believes Farage is too divisive and politically damaged to lead the campaign, whereas leave.eu believes he must be at the forefront.)
  • Options
    Ha! It's amazing how many I managed whilst supposedly paying attention in meetings...

Miss Plato, shade of Doctor Evil there.

"100 BILLION posts!" :p

• Options
    HopiSen said:

Pulpstar said:

What if I only read half of it then?

At least you've already prepared a defence . Honestly, I'm in no position to complain about how labour do things, but it has odd that a leader would publicly oppose the party view, and that would seem to provide a lot of cover for people.
  • Options
    Or maybe we've all got monomania :smiley:
    HopiSen said:

Pulpstar said:

• Options

During what is described as a “cordial” meeting, Mills and Hodson were frank about their reservations. They cited what they see as Banks’ “erratic” behaviour and his determination to put immigration at the heart of the Brexit campaign as key barriers to a full merger.

They also raised the thorny question of the role to be played by Nigel Farage, over which the rival campaigns disagree. (Vote Leave believes Farage is too divisive and politically damaged to lead the campaign, whereas leave.eu believes he must be at the forefront.)

It's not necessarily bad, there needs to be different OUT messages to interest different OUT constituencies. You cant credibly have the same organisation telling the Kipper inclined we need to get out because of immigration, the traditionalist Tories that is because of sovereignty, business people because the EU won't let us sign FTAs with China and the lefties that we need to get out because the EU is a corporatist lapdog.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

This last sentence highlights the idiocy of the whole EU proposition, and in many ways its biggest downside. If the UK is Ireland's biggest trading partner then an Ireland in the EU should be able to sign a Free Trade Agreement with a UK outside the EU, but the EU wont allow member states to sign their own FTAs they have to be done by Brussels. Hence the EU doesn't have an FTA with China, but Thailand, Peru and New Zealand (and others) do.
    Once goods are inside the EU, they are subject to no further tariffs.

For that reason, if we signed - for example - a Free Trade Agreement with China, so that Chinese goods could be imported to the UK without tariffs, then that would mean that Chinese goods could be imported to any EU country without tariff, simply by the expedient of landing them at Felxistowe.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, oddly, I've been very productive yesterday (and this morning, written 700 words so far), but my posting here seems scarcely to have changed. Shade perplexing.

Mr. Eagles, sounds like Vote Leave are sensible, and leave.eu are part of the Faragian Cult.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

It's not necessarily bad, there needs to be different OUT messages to interest different OUT constituencies. You cant credibly have the same organisation telling the Kipper inclined we need to get out because of immigration, the traditionalist Tories that is because of sovereignty, business people because the EU won't let us sign FTAs with China and the lefties that we need to get out because the EU is a corporatist lapdog.
    Yes but only one will be designated the official Leave campaign.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, who decides the designation?
  • Options

Miss Plato, oddly, I've been very productive yesterday (and this morning, written 700 words so far), but my posting here seems scarcely to have changed. Shade perplexing.

Mr. Eagles, sounds like Vote Leave are sensible, and leave.eu are part of the Faragian Cult.

Harsh but fair on Farage that. Oh you said cult.
  • Options

Nick Clegg
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Whenever I think of *Party Loyalty* - I think of my own behaviour.

I'm one of the In-With-Both-Feet Club. Once I've made a decision to support a view, it takes a great deal to make me change my mind or allegiance. I'll put up with a great deal of tension and squabbling - then BANG, the elastic snaps and that's it.

That's how I feel now about my switch from Remain, to Reluctant Stayer to Full Leave. It's taken a lot of cobblers to push me over, but now I've inspected what I really think, rather than stick with what I felt loyal to - the decision became crystal clear. I was trying to persuade myself - which is daft.
    kle4 said:

HopiSen said:

Pulpstar said:

What if I only read half of it then?

At least you've already prepared a defence . Honestly, I'm in no position to complain about how labour do things, but it has odd that a leader would publicly oppose the party view, and that would seem to provide a lot of cover for people.
  • Options

The electoral commission
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

For that reason, if we signed - for example - a Free Trade Agreement with China, so that Chinese goods could be imported to the UK without tariffs, then that would mean that Chinese goods could be imported to any EU country without tariff, simply by the expedient of landing them at Felxistowe.
    But we can't sign a FTA with China while we are in the EU, that power has been delegated to Brussels, who f*cked t up and the agreement was last seen heading rapidly over the horizon. Ironically Iceland and, I believe, Switzerland, have such agreements.

Edit: I see what you mean, yes, it would inconvenience the EU, not frankly a big problem for me so long as Britain gets the best deal for its businesses ;)
  • Options
    I used to write a lot of copy in spurts. I could struggle all day nitpicking paragraphs - then spend 5hrs banging it out with barely an edit.

Same with planning. Without a spark of inspiration, it's a real slog. Our best sessions were down the pub - seriously. We ended up a bit tiddled, but came back bouncing with ideas and cunning plans.

• Options
    Mr. 1000, you tinker.

Mr. Eagles, cheers.

I can't help but feel that if we were led by Aurelian we would've already conquered the EU.

Incidentally, Aurelian conquered/reclaimed the Palmyrene Empire, the ruins of which were recently destroying by foam-flecked lunatics.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, indeed, that does seem to work. It's a bit frustrating because sometimes that works, and other times I need to focus more/solely on the work [I think comedy probably takes more focus because, unlike serious stuff, grinding and redrafting isn't the way I write comedy]. Also, very sad or violent things need more attention.

It can be quite nice to have regular little breaks for less emotional/comedic stuff, though.
  • Options
    Is anyone on this board still in the remain camp ?

I know @Antifrank is undecided but scrolling through poster names it strikes me that the vast majority of us are now "Leave".

@RCS1000 ?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

No we won't.

But we can't sign a FTA with China while we are in the EU, that power has been delegated to Brussels, who f*cked t up and the agreement was last seen heading rapidly over the horizon. Ironically Iceland and, I believe, Switzerland, have such agreements.

Edit: I see what you mean, yes, it would inconvenience the EU, not frankly a big problem for me so long as Britain gets the best deal for its businesses ;)
    TBH I'm somewhat suspicious of TA's with Chin, free or not! I feel far happier seeing us do business with fellow Europeans. Chinese do tend to end up dominating. Seem to me a bit like the "protection" arrangements we used to sign with various African rulers, who if they really needed protection probably needed it from us!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

That's an interesting discussion. Blackburn is clealry right that it'd be better if people took the trouble to study the issue and came up with their own view, but for those who can't or won't, following advice from somone they respect isn't a bad substitute.

But there is a danger here. Cameron's polling isn't wonderful (yes, it's better than Corbyn's, but that's not the issue here), and I've seen it said (not sure how strong the evidence is) that referendums tend to morph into votes on the government of the day. If people with no strong preference about Europe either way decide that this is a chance to say if they really like David Cameron or they want to give him a kick, then Remain is in serious trouble.

Against that, the office of PM carries a certain weight, and so do the party leaderships generally. The fact that Remain will be backed by EVERY party leader except Farage is probably going to swing it. The current negotiations are following a standard pattern - there will be hurdles and crises and rows and then there will be a deal. All the party leaders except Farage will say well, it's just about OK. I think it'll be enough. And posibly it'll give Cameron a bit of an Indian summer in his ratings, and he'll decide to leave soon afterwards.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    edited December 2015
    Pulpstar said:

I know @Antifrank is undecided but scrolling through poster names it strikes me that the vast majority of us are now "Leave".

@RCS1000 ?

Flightpath. Richard Nabavi?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited December 2015

Mr. 1000, you tinker.

Mr. Eagles, cheers.

I can't help but feel that if we were led by Aurelian we would've already conquered the EU.

Incidentally, Aurelian conquered/reclaimed the Palmyrene Empire, the ruins of which were recently destroying by foam-flecked lunatics.

We need to be led by an Old Etonian Tory PM.

They have a history of uniting Europe to crush the French.

I have faith in Dave, who needs Aurelian?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

@RCS1000 ?

Eagles if Dave says we've got a good deal :D ?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

@RCS1000 ?

Mr Nabavi and TSE are firm adherents to the stance the PM takes.

Several labour leaning people on here are firmly IN too, I believe they work in the public sector.

• Options
    From a Tory MP who is a Leaver

Why David Cameron should lead the campaign to leave the EU

http://bit.ly/1O6tEzA
  • Options

watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

@RCS1000 ?

Mr Nabavi and TSE are firm adherents to the stance the PM takes.

Several labour leaning people on here are firmly IN too, I believe they work in the public sector.

Don't you ever get tired of being wrong?
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I used to find writing ghost columns the hardest - very tricky to get the tone and language right. Without knowing the person really rather well, it stands out a mile when you get it wrong.

I enjoy the indiscipline of BTL comment, just stream of consciousness stuff.

Miss Plato, indeed, that does seem to work. It's a bit frustrating because sometimes that works, and other times I need to focus more/solely on the work [I think comedy probably takes more focus because, unlike serious stuff, grinding and redrafting isn't the way I write comedy]. Also, very sad or violent things need more attention.

It can be quite nice to have regular little breaks for less emotional/comedic stuff, though.

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

watford30 said:

Pulpstar said:

@RCS1000 ?

Eagles if Dave says we've got a good deal :D ?
    Depends on what the deal is. I think he's given up on my red lines.

I do have form for voting against the way Dave would like me to in plebiscites.
  • Options
    Dr @foxinsoxuk and @OldKingCole are. Plus @Philip_Thompson
    Pulpstar said:

@RCS1000 ?

• Options

That's an interesting discussion. Blackburn is clealry right that it'd be better if people took the trouble to study the issue and came up with their own view, but for those who can't or won't, following advice from somone they respect isn't a bad substitute.

But there is a danger here. Cameron's polling isn't wonderful (yes, it's better than Corbyn's, but that's not the issue here), and I've seen it said (not sure how strong the evidence is) that referendums tend to morph into votes on the government of the day. If people with no strong preference about Europe either way decide that this is a chance to say if they really like David Cameron or they want to give him a kick, then Remain is in serious trouble.

Against that, the office of PM carries a certain weight, and so do the party leaderships generally. The fact that Remain will be backed by EVERY party leader except Farage is probably going to swing it. The current negotiations are following a standard pattern - there will be hurdles and crises and rows and then there will be a deal. All the party leaders except Farage will say well, it's just about OK. I think it'll be enough. And posibly it'll give Cameron a bit of an Indian summer in his ratings, and he'll decide to leave soon afterwards.
    Seems plausible. Win or lose, it feels like the period for him to wind things up.
  • Options

From a Tory MP who is a Leaver

Why David Cameron should lead the campaign to leave the EU

http://bit.ly/1O6tEzA

Got the ECHR position wrong though!
  • Options
    Which reminds me. The AV thread is finished.

It contains the line "There are two types of people in the world, those who think AV is superior to first past the post, and those who are wrong"
This discussion has been closed.