Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory Keogh report offensive appears to have had no impa

SystemSystem Posts: 11,710
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory Keogh report offensive appears to have had no impact on the “best party on NHS” ratings

One of the big apparent “wins” for the Tories before they broke up for the summer recess was their response on the Keogh report on hospital failings which had happened on Labour’s watch. This it was hoped would help the party eat into the traditional LAB lead that they have on the NHS.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited July 2013
    There is no doubt that the Tories way overreached on this fuelled by the idiotic "13,000 deaths" lie.

Now we have the 111 shambles - made worse by the fact the previous service was working.

Crosby got it wrong here.
  • Options
    FPT @TGOHF
    the immigration van is going nationwide....
    A useless, half baked measure with no data to back it up?

Sounds familiar! No wonder the Tories love it.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013
    What is needed is a National Memorial Day for those lost in the NHS.

All the loved ones left behind by Labour would be encouraged to lay wreathes at the gates of their local hospitals.

It would be an opportunity to celebrate the legacy of the Olympic Stadium. Danny Boyle could compete with Kim Fat Wun by choreographing une grande danse macabre of mortuary porters..
  • Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_Gn7TEEB-M
  • Options
    I realise you're trying to satirise the stupid PB Tories who didn't understand the mortality data, but what are the chances that people that stupid will understand the satire?

That is the least of my worries, tim.

I first have to get moderator to understand the satire.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited July 2013
    I think it is very premature to draw any conclusions - the whole point of the Francis and Keogh Reports were to expose and understand the issues.

They've broken the Sacred Cow status of the NHS and that's crucial - no public service should be a religion nor its staff exempt from criticism because they're all celestial beings [managers of course are all evil heartless Tories with clipboards].

It's takes a long time to turnaround a supertanker.

"The NHS employs more than 1.7m people. Of those, just under half are clinically qualified, including, 39,780 general practitioners (GPs), 370,327 nurses, 18,687 ambulance staff and 105,711 hospital and community health service (HCHS) medical and dental staff.

Only the Chinese People’s Liberation Army, the Wal-Mart supermarket chain and the Indian Railways directly employ more people.

The NHS in England is the biggest part of the system by far, catering to a population of 53m and employing more than 1.35m people. The NHS in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland employs 153,427; 84,817 and 78,000 people respectively.

The NHS deals with over 1 million patients every 36 hours." Source - http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/thenhs/about/Pages/overview.aspx
  • Options
    edited July 2013

I object to being back translated as "Eberi", dugarbandier, especially when "Roger" comes out clean.

It offends my sense of decorum. Can you supply a Hiragana version?

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,372
    Agreed - it's like Labour attacking the Tories for not being pro-Army enough - even when there's evidence that they've done something bad, people still trust them more. The increased salience of the NHS is IMO one of the things that has underpinned the Labour poll rating (now back to 40, though it's just one poll).

People are becoming a bit more polarised and interested as the election creeps closer - polls on "who is best on X?" are tending to get fewer "don't knows". The nearly even split on the immigration vans is interesting. In theory there is nothing wrong with urging illegal immigrants to go back, so I'm not surprised there is a slim majority for it, but it's having the same sort of effect as Michael Howard's campaign - people agreed with much of what he said, but thought less of him all the same. I wonder if supporters would like it extended to other offences - e.g. vans going round Belgravia with the sign "Tax avoiders - pay up or go to prison".
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    A good idea - which should be extended to the extra premature deaths that are likely because of the Tory cave-in on ciggie packaging.
    AveryLP said:

All the loved ones left behind by Labour would be encouraged to lay wreathes at the gates of their local hospitals.

It would be an opportunity to celebrate the legacy of the Olympic Stadium. Danny Boyle could compete with Kim Fat Wun by choreographing une grande danse macabre of mortuary porters..

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    @MikeSmithson - I thought your line was that such attacks would backfire - they clearly haven't as the net impact has been no change. A 12% deficit on the NHS would be a margin that Mrs T and most Tory leaders could only dream about. And it hardly prevented her from winning elections, did it?

As then, so now: the NHS will not be a key election factor in 2015
  • Options
    Plato said:

They've broken the Sacred Cow status of the NHS and that's crucial - no public service should be a religion

I don't think that's the case at all - I think on balance its led to more Tory toxicity especially with the 111 stuff up making people think about what the NHS will become under full blown Tory governance.

And if the NHS is a religion - it has many more followers than the Tory cult of privatisation.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Smithson, I thought there was no evidence such plain packaging had an impact, beyond assisting the black market?

Appears that many are singing from the party political hymn sheets this morning.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

@MikeSmithson - I thought your line was that such attacks would backfire - they clearly haven't as the net impact has been no change. A 12% deficit on the NHS would be a margin that Mrs T and most Tory leaders could only dream about. And it hardly prevented her from winning elections, did it?

Indeed - the NHS won't be the killer policy issue at GE2010 - and frankly as a bog standard user of the service, I'm much happier to see it's performance being actually discussed rather than being the final third rail of politics.
  • Options
    Third rail, Miss Plato?
  • Options
    It all helps the LD theme for GE2015 - you can't trust LAB on the economy or the Tories on the NHS

I am aware that the Keogh attacks led to a big internal debate at a very high level within the Tory party and that there were many concerns about moving into an area where the Tories cannot win.
    JohnO said:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Using your logic - can you name me a single privately owned organisation who's staff are referred to as angels or saints?

Now is this because only saints and angels work/are paid for by taxpayers or because one became a religion?
    BenM said:

Plato said:

They've broken the Sacred Cow status of the NHS and that's crucial - no public service should be a religion

I don't think that's the case at all - I think on balance its led to more Tory toxicity especially with the 111 stuff up making people think about what the NHS will become under full blown Tory governance.

And if the NHS is a religion - it has many more followers than the Tory cult of privatisation.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    AveryLP said:

Perhaps change Xmas day to NHS day and sing hymns about the saintly workers outside the local A&E ?

"Hark the overweight angels drink tea"
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There are no great surprises in this, surely. Attacking Labour makes the Conservatives feel good about themselves (and seeing Andy Burnham under pressure made them all jaunty), but they were never going to win on health. The troubles for 111 are probably more significant.

There are no great surprises here either:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/97cb6af2-f862-11e2-b4c4-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2aQDbZUD0
  • Options
    Does anything 'not help the LD theme' ?

It all helps the LD theme for GE2015 - you can't trust LAB on the economy or the Tories on the NHS

I am aware that the Keogh attacks led to a big internal debate at a very high level within the Tory party and that there were many concerns about moving into an area where the Tories cannot win.

JohnO said:

• Options
    I think Mark Serwotka really should lead the sermon - he routinely refers to his members as selfless workers who one could assume would volunteer to be nailed to crosses for our benefit.

The day he retires on his enormous pension will be a sad day.
    TGOHF said:

AveryLP said:

Perhaps change Xmas day to NHS day and sing hymns about the saintly workers outside the local A&E ?

"Hark the overweight angels drink tea"
  • Options

JohnO said:

The short term evidence is wholly inconclusive one way or the other. The 111 controversy may have an impact in the next round of polls, but probably not much.

Didn't someone recently publish the findings of the 'who best for the NHS' polls for the last 12 months, perhaps longer. My recollection - might be wrong - is that the Tory 12% deficit is at the lower end of the range.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Jeremy Hunt made a massive mistake having a go at Labour/Burnham when the Keogh report was released. Keogh was not very happy that his report was used in an agressively political way and that Hunts attack on Labour used information on a totally false basis. Had Hunt simply released the report and concentrated on implementing the recommendations, I think Hunt/Tories would have gained respect for their mature handling of the issues raised.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    antifrank said:

they were never going to win on health.

Interesting that all the leftists here are claiming victory with nearly 2 years of the debate still to run.

Complacent much?

Many of them are the same people who were trumpeting double and triple dip recession claptrap for 3 years, and that no change on Europe was possible.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

JohnO said:

Lets see, why did Cameron spend so much political capital using his personal experiences to try and detox the Tories on the isssue if that was a given?

Any views on what's causing this, council cuts?
    The same ones that are causing a rise in A&E attendances?

"Mystery of sudden rise in elderly death rates: 600 more people are dying each week in 2013 compared with past five years"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2378434/Mystery-sudden-rise-elderly-death-rates-600-people-dying-week-2013-compared-past-years.html#ixzz2aVusIeAU
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    Dave leads Ed by 10%. Labour VI lead almost halved. Doesn't seem to be doing him much harm, does it?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

antifrank said:

they were never going to win on health.

Interesting that all the leftists here are claiming victory with nearly 2 years of the debate still to run.

Complacent much?

Many of them are the same people who were trumpeting double and triple dip recession claptrap for 3 years, and that no change on Europe was possible.
    I'm neither left or right (I'm just staying home tonight getting lost in that hopeless little screen).
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    To stand still, more has to be spent on the NHS each year because of the demographics. The only party that can afford to rein in that spending is Labour. In a similar way, the only party who can cut defence spending are the Conservatives. Labour, in power, can plot "efficiency gains" in health spending and get away with it; the Tories can't, yet they like to meddle.

It's unfair, but it seems to be politics. In the same way, EdM might be the greatest potential PM ever, but he doesn't look or sound right. That could be why Labour's ratings will rise over the summer if he stays safely out of the way.
  • Options
    @JohnO

Is mentioning Toxic Tories inversely proportionate to what the public actually say?

It appears so.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

I object to being back translated as "Eberi", dugarbandier, especially when "Roger" comes out clean.

It offends my sense of decorum. Can you supply a Hiragana version?

sorry, some names are just easier than others. vs and bs are interchangeable, as are ls and rs.

I could have given you Aberi, but thought your A sounds should be a long vowel? in which case e- would be closer.

Anyway, Hiragana: えーべり

• Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    edited July 2013
    I know there are quite a few blinkered people on here but can they not see that the Conservative Grid keeps getting outflanked. It seemed to be working a few weeks ago but every time they are trying to run the story they get swamped by another one. By saying we are going on the attack during the recess has set them up for a fall.

Today was supposed to be about the immigration car results from Yougov and the NHS survey which by the time people got up to work this morning was overtaken by "Nurses are being forced to “ration” care due to low staffing levels in NHS hospitals". Now the words Nurses, rationing and low staffing levels do not play well with swing voters. Someone keeps playing a dud at Conservative HQ and losing control of the headlines.

http://www.politicshome.com/
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,798
    These internal ratings have shifted remarkably little over time - if we go back to December 11, pre-UKIP, pre-ominshambles budget:

Con lead today (change vs Dec 2011)
    NHS: -12 (+3)
    Asylum/Immigration: +12 (-1)
    Law & Order: +14 (-3)
    Education: -4 (-1)
    Tax: +3 (+3)
    Unemployment: -6 (+5)
    Economy: +5 (+1)

Voters do not pay the attention to these passing stories that we do - but the idea that Labour should have a 'free pass' on the NHS is risible - much though their supporters would prefer it that way.....
  • Options
    I do love the non-balance on the R5 phone-in - its all about being mean to say Mary Beard but not about say Melanie Philips - in fact there hasn't been a single mention of Twitter being rude to righties whatsoever.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, on Twitter it's worth saying that whilst there is misogyny as the basis of trolling, that's certainly not the only 'reason'. Tom Daley got some vile abuse, and handled it extremely well, and a designer of Call of Duty (first person shooter) got a lot of threats, some aimed at his family, when he altered the time it took to reload a certain gun by a few tenths of a second.

Like the Co-op puritanism, it seems that an issue gets more airtime if it's deemed to be sexist against women, even if the issue is wider than that and the other side of the coin (womens' mags having scantily clad ladies or magazines with shirtless men, or women-only golf clubs) can be entirely ignored.

It's almost hilariously ironic that people (rightly) opposed to sexism often close their eyes when it's against men.
  • Options
    Surely it takes a very long time to make an impact on strongly held beliefs.

In terms of branding - which is essentially what we're discussing, it takes a total horror story and an absence of competitors land grabbing to shift the market.

If we take Perrier and its benzene crisis - it was destroyed and never recovered despite the whole market exploding.

But Coke had its own similar horrors and survived unscathed.

These internal ratings have shifted remarkably little over time - if we go back to December 11, pre-UKIP, pre-ominshambles budget:

Voters do not pay the attention to these passing stories that we do - but the idea that Labour should have a 'free pass' on the NHS is risible - much though their supporters would prefer it that way.....

• Options
    Absolutely, Mr Dancer

The very peculiar behaviour on Twitter is remarkable. I'm usually polite and never ever suggest violence but have been on the wrong end of OTT abuse from Lefties - and most think I'm a bloke.

I assume they're all about 14yrs old and virgins since I can't imagine what else all their angst and hormones are playing at.

Miss Plato, on Twitter it's worth saying that whilst there is misogyny as the basis of trolling, that's certainly not the only 'reason'. Tom Daley got some vile abuse, and handled it extremely well, and a designer of Call of Duty (first person shooter) got a lot of threats, some aimed at his family, when he altered the time it took to reload a certain gun by a few tenths of a second.

Like the Co-op puritanism, it seems that an issue gets more airtime if it's deemed to be sexist against women, even if the issue is wider than that and the other side of the coin (womens' mags having scantily clad ladies or magazines with shirtless men, or women-only golf clubs) can be entirely ignored.

It's almost hilariously ironic that people (rightly) opposed to sexism often close their eyes when it's against men.

• Options
    How things change?

On September 13th 2010 the Tories had a 3% lead on the NHS with YouGov
    Plato said:

In terms of branding - which is essentially what we're discussing, it takes a total horror story and an absence of competitors land grabbing to shift the market.

If we take Perrier and its benzene crisis - it was destroyed and never recovered despite the whole market exploding.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Having been involved in Wellbeing Index work in other areas - I don't rubbish this out of hand at all. If you feel the urge to do so - check it out first.

ONS @statisticsONS
    77% rated life satisfaction at 7 or more out of 10 in 2012/13, up 1.2% points on previous year bit.ly/14dMIWj #wellbeing #ONS

ONS @statisticsONS
    21% rated anxiety at 6 or more out of 10 in 2012/13, down 0.9% points on previous year bit.ly/14dMIWj #wellbeing #ONS
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    edited July 2013
    Polls can measure the numbers who think the NHS or immigration is a more salient issue but measuring the strength of feeling is something quite different.

As Danny Boyle so cleverly showed the NHS is close to a religion. Something most of us admire and something which makes us feel good about ourselves. Immigration by contrast is just an irritant.

How proud would we have felt if Danny Boyle had paraded the Olympic Stadium with the Tory vans saying "Immigrants go Home"? My guess is we'd all have felt a shiver of shame.

Put it another way. If Labour had screwed up immigration they might have lost a couple of pecentage points. If the Tories screw up health they lose the election big time.
  • Options
    Mr. Smithson, wasn't that during the honeymoon period of the Coalition?
  • Options
    Roger said:

Tory vans saying "Immigrants go Home?"

You're missing a word there Roger.....and turning a point into a smear.......

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

How things change?

Plato said:

Being in power makes you less popular shocker!!
  • Options
    I'd be interested in hearing what the LDs are thinking of going with as GE2015/Conf 2013 messaging.

Any takers?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    It will take some time but if the Tories continue to tell the truth about the NHS and are open about NHS outcomes, people will realise that the Tories have the long term interests of the health service at heart.
  • Options
    Janan Ganesh drops some truth bombs in the FT:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/d4ccf772-f83a-11e2-b4c4-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2aW59anyH

"London has not flourished because of favourable treatment by the national political class. If anything, it has been short-changed by successive administrations. The government’s alacrity in commissioning the high-speed rail extension makes its procrastination over London’s airport capacity look even more complacent."

"Politicians should be humble enough to acknowledge the limits of what they can do about ingrained regional inequalities. They should also be brave enough to scrutinise the idea of balancing from first principles. The state owes its ultimate duty to people, not places. It must provide a national framework in which economic growth can take place: security, education, tax rates, regulations, and so on. If that growth ends up occurring disproportionately in one part of the country, it is not obvious that this is inherently bad, so long as people are free to move there. Workers migrate from poor parts of the north to rich parts of the north (of which there are many, it is easy to forget) without this being lamented as something governments must fix. Why is labour mobility from north to south any worse?"

"London and the southeast is not home to a privileged few but to 16m people, more than a quarter of the British population. That’s some corner."
  • Options
    CD13 said:

To stand still, more has to be spent on the NHS each year because of the demographics. The only party that can afford to rein in that spending is Labour. In a similar way, the only party who can cut defence spending are the Conservatives. Labour, in power, can plot "efficiency gains" in health spending and get away with it; the Tories can't, yet they like to meddle.

It's unfair, but it seems to be politics. In the same way, EdM might be the greatest potential PM ever, but he doesn't look or sound right. That could be why Labour's ratings will rise over the summer if he stays safely out of the way.

Interesting and depressing comment, borne out by the fact that we all assume that as soon as ANY party announces specific policies, they will lose votes - the media instantly focus on the drawbacks (and anything new has drawbacks). The suspicious atmosphere is bad for politics, even if it's partly been earned by politicians overspinning modest or non-existent gains, since it excessively rewards inaction and caution.

• Options
    perdix said:

It will take some time but if the Tories continue to tell the truth about the NHS and are open about NHS outcomes, people will realise that the Tories have the long term interests of the health service at heart.

Tories care about the patients - and getting the best systems for the £ available.

Labour care about the NHS workers their rights and pensions and preserving the status quo whatever the cost.

That's what it boils down to - when voters see that the status quo isn't what Labour would like them to think it is - well we'll see.
  • Options
    Good that the DCMS probe into media plurality will include the BBC...
  • Options
    tim said:

The key paragraph in the Keogh report that the PB Tories cannot and will never understand is this one

111 is just the first of Lansleys chickens coming home to roost.

The Coalition Government, adopting a Tory manifesto pledge, has maintained and will continue to maintain spending on Health Care level in real terms across the course of this parliament.

Labour did not match this pledge at the 2010 election and have not done so since.

The Health budget is by far the largest category of government spending accounting for one in seven of all pounds spent.

Cameron's ring-fencing of the health budget was brave in a climate of gobal fiscal consolidation and very few other countries have followed his path. See for example the OECD on ways in which member countries are reducing expenditure:

About 50% of participating countries identified health savings as one of the main consolidation sources. These measures constitute a major share of expenditure savings in all countries with an IMF/EU programme: Greece, Ireland and Portugal. For example, Portugal plans to reduce expenditure in the health system, especially in the areas of pharmaceuticals, user fees, public health systems and through hospital restructuring. The savings on health expenditures will amount to as much as 1% of GDP in Ireland and Portugal. Belgium and Spain also substantially increased their savings target in the health area, up to 1% and 0.7% of GDP respectively [and on an on for other countries]

If holding spending level in real terms was the top line pledge, raising productivity, retargetting resource to front line operations, improving value and putting the patient's interest first were at the core of the Lansley reforms.

The 111 events do not indicate that Lansley's chickens are coming home to roost: they are one the first of many golden eggs being laid. They demonstrate exactly how decentralisation and localisation, competition, cost engineering, patient focus and careful management of resources will improve NHS productivity and performance.
  • Options
    Immigration van (net)

Support: +6
    "Stupid & Offensive" : -8
    Racist: -30
    Poor taste but necessary: -11

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/fjbakrwrnl/YouGov-Sun-results-130729-Immigration-Van.pdf

Only clear conclusion is that its not racist - last question poorly phrased - would have been better split as we don't know whether respondents think its poor taste or necessary.....or neither....
  • Options
    Calling Avery - you've forgotten this bit in your news review of government successes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/30/uk-exports-refinance-5bn_n_3671424.html?1375160555
  • Options
    It's the rail that carries the juice.
    'Touch it and you die'
    Apols if this has already been answered, only dipping in for a few minutes as at work.

Third rail, Miss Plato?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    there were many concerns about moving into an area where the Tories cannot win.
    Cannot win...

Has there ever been any polling to contradict that emphatic statement?
    Oh

Cannot win, actually means hope they won't win...
  • Options
    @NickPalmer I see nothing depressing about that observation. It suggests that the public has an accurate assessment of the abilities of politicians. Most of their policies are at best completely unnecessary.

What's a lot more depressing is that in over 2000 years politicians have not learned from the Hippocratic Oath: First Do No Harm. In those circumstances, it's hardly surprising that the public is suspicious of their bright ideas.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,123
    RedRag1 said:

I know there are quite a few blinkered people on here but can they not see that the Conservative Grid keeps getting outflanked. It seemed to be working a few weeks ago but every time they are trying to run the story they get swamped by another one. By saying we are going on the attack during the recess has set them up for a fall.

Today was supposed to be about the immigration car results from Yougov and the NHS survey which by the time people got up to work this morning was overtaken by "Nurses are being forced to “ration” care due to low staffing levels in NHS hospitals". Now the words Nurses, rationing and low staffing levels do not play well with swing voters. Someone keeps playing a dud at Conservative HQ and losing control of the headlines.

I predict story of the day will be the court case over the bedroom tax / spare room subsidy. I've no idea which way it'll go, but if there's a win for the campaigners, it'll lead the media narrative (*) this evening.

(*) I must stop channelling Tim ;-)
  • Options
    @itvnews
    Almost two-thirds of patients "extremely likely" to recommend A&E services in England to friends and relatives http://itv.co/1bDQpHs

That's another Tory anti-NHS wheeze that didn't work.
  • Options

RedRag1 said:

I predict story of the day will be the court case over the bedroom tax / spare room subsidy. I've no idea which way it'll go, but if there's a win for the campaigners, it'll lead the media narrative (*) this evening.

Will it be a victory like Qatada's victory - ie more bucks for lawyers and a few months delay ?

• Options

RedRag1 said:

Eion Clarke yesterday tweeted that a win was a dead cert......make of that what you will......
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

perdix said:

Tories care about the patients - and getting the best systems for the £ available.

Labour care about the NHS workers their rights and pensions and preserving the status quo whatever the cost.

That's what it boils down to - when voters see that the status quo isn't what Labour would like them to think it is - well we'll see.
    I'm not sure that the Labour folk on here realise that the travails of the Labour-run NHS in Wales will be a powerful card for the coalition parties to play.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-23468814
  • Options
    I'm finding the reflexive assumption that being a law breaker is racist and bigotted when applied to immigrants really peculiar.

The law applies to everyone. If we have lots of illegal immigrants from very sunny places is neither here nor there. They have no right to be here and plenty of opportunity to be legal [as most immigrants are] or to claim asylum.

When its not acceptable to ask illegals to go home - what is the incentive for those who want to do it legally? None.

Roger said:

Tory vans saying "Immigrants go Home?"

You're missing a word there Roger.....and turning a point into a smear.......

• Options
    Mr. Pubgoer, thanks :)
  • Options
    BenM said:

@itvnews
    Almost two-thirds of patients "extremely likely" to recommend A&E services in England to friends and relatives http://itv.co/1bDQpHs

sounds like a wierd survey though?

"shall i go to A and E?"

"nah, you'd be better stitching that y'self"

"ah, right you are.."

• Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Plato said:

Using your logic - can you name me a single privately owned organisation who's staff are referred to as angels or saints?

Now is this because only saints and angels work/are paid for by taxpayers or because one became a religion?

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0803276273
    They Called Them Angels: American Military Nurses of World War II [Paperback]

So the nurses as angels metaphor is not confined to here, and has nothing to do with the NHS becoming a religion. It is possible that it has more to do with the origins of nursing in religion -- "sisters" would originally have been nuns.
  • Options

I'm not sure that the Labour folk on here realise that the travails of the Labour-run NHS in Wales will be a powerful card for the coalition parties to play.

You Tories have shot your bolt with the "unnecessary deaths" nonsense. Who believes a word the Tories say on health matters?
  • Options
    tim said:

RedRag1 said:

If that goes against the govt its a huge story you are right.

That pensioners are excluded and the disabled targeted by the bedroom tax is not a narrative they want out there.
    But why is it different to the situation with private landlords as introduced by the Labour government (The Local Housing Allowance) in 2008?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Housing_Allowance
  • Options
    BenM said:

You Tories have shot your bolt with the "unnecessary deaths" nonsense. Who believes a word the Tories say on health matters?
    Or your 'probably one death' sick nonsense.

Who'd believe a word you say on health after that?

Besides, I'm not sure I'm a Tory. It's just that I side with them when I care about the wellbeing of patients in the NHS first, and the NHS itself second.

So instead of deflecting, what do you think of the situation in NHS Wales?
  • Options

BenM said:

@itvnews

sounds like a wierd survey though?

"shall i go to A and E?"

"nah, you'd be better stitching that y'self"

"ah, right you are.."

I'm totally lost here. The point is that the NHS A&E service is GOOD whoever is in HMG at the time.

We don't have the same issues at the DVLA or HMRC or IPA or anywhere else. It's a nonsense.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited July 2013
    OK, lets all stay calm and consider, is the NHS is an outdated model of healthcare that is a disgrace, or a wonderful asset to our nation to be protected at all costs?

Well, both sides of this question are wrong.

Let us first establish the what the best part of the NHS is:

Health Care that is free and available pretty much on demand at the time of need. When waiting lists go sky rocketing upwards, it is failing. When the quality of the care is poor, it is failing. This leads to the following questions:

Why do we need a NHS to perform this service? Is there any part of this remit that can not be provided by a combination of other providers or by other means? Should the NHS be constrained by cost or have free reign regardless of cost?

In order to provide the treatments that are available in an increasingly technological industry (medicine), new facilities, training, techniques and equipment are constantly required. Best practice and evolution into new methodologies is a constant process. Is the NHS the best structure to provide this?

Are the core concepts on which the NHS is founded either applicable or relevant to the needs of patients and society today? Is the traditional GP with their surgery which is never open, available or bookable the best pathway into the system.

Should we still have our 'own' GP? Why aren't GP surgeries held in local health centres? Why are bookings required?

Why are A&E dealing with severe trauma and life threatening conditions as well as minor issues? Is that a good use of resources of space, staff, and equipment to combine these two areas requiring different skills and resources?

The NHS is in many ways trying to convert a system that was applicable to the life style, life expectancy, medical knowledge and expectations of the 1950s and 1960s into a 21st century operation.

Sometimes conversion is comfortable but inefficient where as a new model can fit the new needs far more fully in the long run. Be that run by HMG (ie NHS) or others (ie Private) is, to me irrelevant, so long as health care is free, available when required and high(er) quality.

As a nation, we have to agree the cost we are willing to pay for our healthcare, then the rest can fall into place.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Roger

'Put it another way. If Labour had screwed up immigration they might have lost a couple of pecentage points. If the Tories screw up health they lose the election big time.'

It's the economy stupid.

At least Labour has a lead on the no 4 issue for most voters,unlike the economy,immigration & race relations and unemployment.
  • Options

Third rail, Miss Plato?

That touching it gets you electrocuted!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Life is great under the Coalition .... well, save for parts of Cheshire :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23501423
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

@Avery

The ring fence has gone, areas of social care which were counted as non NHS spending in the Tory pledge have (rightly) been included.
    Three years of damage could've been avoided.

tim

The following table from this month's Public Expenditure Statistical Analyses 2013 (PESA 2013) sets out the figures.

The data are £ bn in real terms (fixed at June 2013 values).

They show unequivocably that the 'ring fence' on health spending has been and is continuing to be maintained.
    PESA 2013
    Real Terms Expenditure on Health
    DEL AME | TME
    2010-11 101,198 -11,396 | 89,802
    2011-12 101,772 19,877 | 121,649
    2012-13 102,513 18,840 | 121,353
    2013-14 104,343 17,105 | 121,448
    2014-15 105,147 16,990 | 122,137
    2015-16 105,223 |
    [AME and TME not available for 2015-16 plans]
  • Options
    "The voters are not fractious children. I suspect that the long travails of the eurozone have had a profound effect on public opinion, hardening scepticism into hostility. Though people may not understand exactly what has gone wrong with Europe, they know that it is something big and toxic. Thank goodness we are clear of it; perhaps we should get clearer still."

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/the-european-tide-has-turned-but-can-we-be-honest-about-it-8736596.html
  • Options
    philiph said:

Should we still have our 'own' GP? Why aren't GP surgeries held in local health centres? Why are bookings required?

do we need GPs? as far as I know here in Japan, we don't have them- or at least very few. In general, people know which bit of them is giving the trouble and take themselves to a relevant clinic. Of course there are going to be some self mis-diagnoses, but I'd guess they would fall into some relatively common types and be recognizable by the various specialists..
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Mike's headline is the wrong way round.

It should read "Labour's attacks on the Tories over the NHS have had no effect".
  • Options
    edited July 2013

Besides, I'm not sure I'm a Tory. It's just that I side with them when I care about the wellbeing of patients in the NHS first, and the NHS itself second.

LoL! You think Tories care about patients?!

I've heard it all now...
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    The Twitter abuse debacle shows a certain bias - whatever you think of him - surely those who advocate this against Tommy Robinson are just as guilty as those who abuse Banknote Lady?

https://twitter.com/EDLTrobinson/status/362138207221084160/photo/1
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,007
    edited July 2013

A good idea - which should be extended to the extra premature deaths that are likely because of the Tory cave-in on ciggie packaging.

On the ciggy issue - Has anyone in Gov't (Or elsewhere) done a cost-benefit analysis of the cost of treatment for smokers vs the foregone pension costs and other associated end of life costs.

Is it cheaper to let people smoke, collect the taxes and pay for their lung cancer treatment or to let them live on costing the state more perhaps in the future.

Which option is best for the national accounts ?

Edit: I know that sounds very 'Yes Minister' but maybe it is time to check stuff such as this !
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    BenM said:
    @itvnews

That's another Tory anti-NHS wheeze that didn't work.'

It's amazing when you get input from patients and not public sector unions.

I thought A&E was meant to be collapsing.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    On topic, immigration isn't a no-brainer either because that one feeds UKIP.

But on both I think even if you take a short-term polling hit by increasing the salience of an area where you're weak, it's worth getting the punches in when the opportunity arises. Parties don't need to be careful which issues get discussed until closer to the election. They'll all get an airing at some point.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    BenM said:

I've heard it all now...
    I do, but I don't belong to the Tory party.
  • Options

Calling Avery - you've forgotten this bit in your news review of government successes:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/30/uk-exports-refinance-5bn_n_3671424.html?1375160555

So an announced government programme which has not yet been launched is deemed a failure by Chuka Umunna.

Count me shocked, Nick.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    BenM said:

I've heard it all now...
    The fact that you think that Tories do not care about patients says a great deal about you and your biases.
  • Options
    Government win High Court case on spare room subsidy.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

@Avery.

£3 Billion in Council Services will now be jointly commissioned by the NHS and local councils, they were outside the ring fence and now they aren't, both Pickles and the DoH have included that money in their projections, but whichever way you look at it the ring fence has rightly gone.
    Services that were defined as outside the NHS in 2010 are now going to be paid for from the NHS budget.

Yawn, tim.

Health spending as originally defined in 2010 is being maintained in real terms.

The change is to improve the management of care services not to save on spending. There is much greater churn within the health budgets which is more likely to alter the headline outcomes.

• Options
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

Big celebrations in the Cameron household tonight that they can hit people who choose to care for their own disabled relatives rather than relying on the state or paying for full time care.
    tim

An additional employed carer needs a separate bedroom.

A member of a family who cares for a handicapped child already has a bedroom.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

RedRag1 said:

If that goes against the govt its a huge story you are right.

That pensioners are excluded and the disabled targeted by the bedroom tax is not a narrative they want out there.
    But why is it different to the situation with private landlords as introduced by the Labour government (The Local Housing Allowance) in 2008?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Housing_Allowance
    Pensioners are not excluded for starters so a disabled person needing a spare room for their partner to sleep in faces a charge under the bedroom tax, a pensioner with two empty rooms doesn't.

The main discrimination appears to be against those who choose to look after a disabled relative themselves rather than paying for a carer, a full time carers room is not included, a member of the family who needs a room to look after their disabled relative gets hit.

Take this example

David Cameron needed a spare room for Ivans carer,that room would not be classed as a spare room as they employed full time care. But if he and Sam done it themselves and needed a spare room so whoever wasn't going to be up in the night could get some sleep that room would have been deemed a spare room by the measures David Cameron has brought in.

Leaving aside your rather unhealthy obsession with Cameron, what you are saying is that there are not many differences between the two.
  • Options
    Éoin Clarke ‏@DrEoinCl 30m
    @TomBlenkinsop I'll eat my shorts if it is not declared illegal in its present form..... #NoBrainer.

Get out the salt n pepper 'Dr'.
  • Options
    The irony is that one of the members of the Divisional Court in the so-called "bedroom tax" case is Sir Ross Cranston, the former Labour Solicitor General.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    CD13 said:

To stand still, more has to be spent on the NHS each year because of the demographics.

I'm not sure that's true. Demographics is increasing demand, but not very fast. You'd think it would be possible to use technology-driven productivity increases to keep up with that.

The bigger issue is that medical technology is producing increasingly awesome, but expensive, ways to make people healthier who would otherwise have died or stayed sick. I'd generally be in favour of spending a bit more to pay for that stuff, but it would be an option to stick with the status quo.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    There is f**l on here posting that Tories do not care about NHS patients..maybe thats because there are no Tory NHS patients..duh
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

So the government are allowed to make the laws of the land ?

Huzzah - it's like the Arab spring :)

• Options
    Not sure why anyone thought #bedroomtax would be illegal.

Parliament can pretty much do what it likes.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    BenM said:

Erm, Parly is made up of voters and the judges are independent. Who are you blaming here?

Iain @Iain_33
    @bernerlap @PlatoSays @YouGov @ICMResearch at the height of the poll tax Labour were 27 points clear but still managed to lose
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,633
    The government need to shut up about the NHS. Just let the story unfold on its own and let Labour damage their own image after the multiple failings noted by the report. Get back on message with immigration and the economy like Mike says.

Amazingly I think the immigration "go home" posters are working in the government's favour. A lot of people at work who have seen them think they are useful as they feel it makes being an illegal immigrant more difficult. I don't agree with this view personally, I think they make no difference, but the politics of them are sound.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    edited July 2013
    BenM said:

Um, ultra vires, errors of law, errors of fact, fair hearings and legitimate expectations. And the European Convention, where different. And the ex parte Smith stuff Laws LJ was keen on before the HRA.
  • Options

There is f**l on here posting that Tories do not care about NHS patients.

They don't.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

tim said:

@Avery.

£3 Billion in Council Services will now be jointly commissioned by the NHS and local councils, they were outside the ring fence and now they aren't, both Pickles and the DoH have included that money in their projections, but whichever way you look at it the ring fence has rightly gone.
    Services that were defined as outside the NHS in 2010 are now going to be paid for from the NHS budget.

Yawn, tim.

Health spending as originally defined in 2010 is being maintained in real terms.

The change is to improve the management of care services not to save on spending. There is much greater churn within the health budgets which might alter the headline outcomes by a far greater amount.

Spending by councils in 2010 terms is now included in the NHS budget, the rig fence is gone.
    And that is a good thing.
    It was only there to give Dave a tag line at PMQ's.

And on PB Tory calculations it has resulted in "23,400 needless deaths under the Tories"

"Official figures show 23,400 more deaths of older people than expected in 18 months, with many in poorest parts of country"

PMQ's score Dave 23,400 The rest 0
    Are you sure the 23,400 aren't pensioners on Labour's postal voting lists who disappeared following the Falkirk scandal?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Why should the Tories not kick Labour when they're down?

It's an open goal unless you think the NHS is the property of Labour where they can call Tories all sorts of vile name with impunity.
    MaxPB said:

The government need to shut up about the NHS. Just let the story unfold on its own and let Labour damage their own image after the multiple failings noted by the report. Get back on message with immigration and the economy like Mike says.

Amazingly I think the immigration "go home" posters are working in the government's favour. A lot of people at work who have seen them think they are useful as they feel it makes being an illegal immigrant more difficult. I don't agree with this view personally, I think they make no difference, but the politics of them are sound.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

CD13 said:

To stand still, more has to be spent on the NHS each year because of the demographics.

I'm not sure that's true. Demographics is increasing demand, but not very fast.
    The OBR's (back of a fag-packet) projections are for health spending to rise from 7% of GDP to 8.8% of GDP over 40 or so years. The increase is fairly smooth, I'm not sure whether that qualifies as a fast increase or not!
  • Options
    tim said:

@JosiasJessop @Avery

INSERT GENERIC ANTI TOFF WHINGE HERE

Don't worry tim - test match starts Thursday - you can chillax a bit then.
This discussion has been closed.