Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the first time incumbency bonus can impact on the unifo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,719
edited July 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the first time incumbency bonus can impact on the uniform national swing seat projections

The charts above are based on data from a post-2010 paper by Prof John Curtice, Dr Stephen Fisher and Dr Rob Ford, and looks at the impact of incumbency at the 2010 general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    "What will be very interesting will be what happens where Labour re-select the former MP who was defeated last time. Will that reduce the impact of first incumbency?"

Step forward Mr Palmer...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,024
    FPT:
    Annoyed with myself for not backing Grosjean to be top 3. Oh well.

Anyway, I've laid Rosberg to be top 6 at 2.3. I suspect the Mercedes will eat its tyres (worth recalling too that high temperatures decrease reliability, and that could be a factor as well).

Edited extra bit: ahem.

http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/hungary-pre-race.html
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited July 2013
    "What will be very interesting will be what happens where Labour re-select the former MP who was defeated last time. Will that reduce the impact of first incumbency?"

So far:

Bedford: Patrick Hall
    Enfield North: Joan Ryan
    Gillingham: Paul Clark
    Hendon: Andrew Dismore
    Northampton North: Sally Keeble
    North Warwickshire: Mike O’Brian
    Stroud: David Drew
    Swindon South: Anne Snelgrove
    Waveney: Bob Blizzard
    Wolverhampton SW: Rob Marris
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,321
    And this article is primarily why Peter Kellner thinks Lab needs a lead of 6% to 7% for an overall majority.

I know most people on here will think that is ridiculous but that is what Kellner thinks and he is likely to be a pretty good judge.

Anyone betting on a Lab majority might like to think pretty carefully about that.

Link:

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/07/01/labour-enters-danger-zone/

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    There was no real success for Tory MPs in 2001 who stood in 1997 and lost, so I doubt ex-Labour MPs will do much better in 2015 either
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    edited July 2013
    Bob Spink in Castle Point was the only notable exception who performed significantly better than the national Tory average!
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    @MikeL
    It`s a bad article.Kellner has not used any scientific analysis on how many points the two factors mentioned will cost Labour.`I reckon Labour`s going to need a bigger lead` for a majority is a good post on PB but for a pollster,that`s really poor.

Given Labour had a 60 seat majority in 2005 with a 3% lead,to state that Labour will need 6% lead for a one seat majority needs stronger supporting evidence.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Quincel said:

Step forward Mr Palmer...

Ask me next week! Speaking in general terms, I'd expect reselection of the former MP (assuming they weren't disgraced) to moderate the impact incumbency bonus. Personal votes will decay over time - people move away, forget, and die - but on the whole it helps to be able to have a familiar face to offer. Certainly on the Country election trail I ran with frustrating regularity into people who said hell, no, they weren't voting Labour but if I were standing it'd be very different - nice, but not helpful in the immediate context.

At the last election, my electoral machine was at least half non-members, many of them not Labour in any way, and most of them are still poised to help if wanted. It was a significant factor in persuading me to have another go - too many nice people to disappoint. I'd assume that most former MPs have a similar network so some needle matches should result.

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Thanks for linking that interesting article from Kelner, he was bang on the money with that prediction that Labour are now entering danger zone a month ago. If Labour's lead continues to shrink over the summer in the run up to the party Conference season, that could certainly see the focus and mood of all three party conferences changing. This could then frame the political narrative in the media as they begin to scrutinise the main Opposition far more closely, and this will surely start to pile yet further pressure onto the Labour Leadership at a time they are already facing problems in their relationship with their Union donors.
    MikeL said:

And this article is primarily why Peter Kellner thinks Lab needs a lead of 6% to 7% for an overall majority.

I know most people on here will think that is ridiculous but that is what Kellner thinks and he is likely to be a pretty good judge.

Anyone betting on a Lab majority might like to think pretty carefully about that.

Link:

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/07/01/labour-enters-danger-zone/

• Options
    SMukesh - Kellner has written a 4 page article in Progress explaining where the 7% figure comes from. It's a very, very detailed calculation. See link:

http://labourmajority.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Majority-Rules1.pdf
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,829
    Surely this is part of the very British 'giving the new boy the benefit of the doubt'......which is why some of us think the coalition parties will do better in 2015 than current polling suggests.....

.......and a 'benefit of the doubt' that is far from clear voters are currently willing to extend to Labour....
  • Options
    SMukesh - the fact that Lab got a 66 majority with a 3% lead is why nobody can get their head round what Kellner is saying. Which is why people are going to lose a lot of money. But Kellner is right. There are 3 main reasons:

1) Boundary changes in 2010
    2) Con significantly outperformed UNS in 2010
    3) What's in Kellner's article
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    This is just desperate from Labour - what is he thinking of?

Alex Wickham @WikiGuido
    Think you need a holiday RT @andyburnhammp: Tory #NHS strategy: run it down, undermine public confidence, propose privatisation as answer.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    NE Derbyshire DC and Derbyshire CC Cllr Kevin Gillott won Amber Valley Labour selection.

• Options
    I think it was a mistake for Ed Miliband to keep Burnham at Health, as well as giving Ed Balls the Shadow Chancellor's post when Johnson stood down. Both Burnham and Balls are struggling to focus on looking forward to the future on health and the economy as they are now too busy trying to defend their own record, and that of the last Labour Government in Office. And with both men in these posts, its making it easier for the Conservative attacks to stick while making Ed Miliband look far too complacent about the failures of Labour legacy and the outcome of the next GE.
    Plato said:

Alex Wickham @WikiGuido
    Think you need a holiday RT @andyburnhammp: Tory #NHS strategy: run it down, undermine public confidence, propose privatisation as answer.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Surely this is part of the very British 'giving the new boy the benefit of the doubt'......which is why some of us think the coalition parties will do better in 2015 than current polling suggests.....

.......and a 'benefit of the doubt' that is far from clear voters are currently willing to extend to Labour....

Plus the public (people in general) hate to be told they've made a mistake last time. This has been discussed in the past on US primary threads and in general it makes people small-c conservative and more likely to endorse the existing local serving candidate regardless of party.

When all the leaflets pile through your door if you don't generally care then they can seem very similar but the one that says "Re-Elect xxx" will stand out much, much more.
  • Options
    tim said:

Are the 2010 Lib Dems who will decide the election more likely to vote Tory in Lab/Con marginals because of the Tory incumbent, or will they see them as part of the reason they left the Lib Dems to go to Labour in the first place?

The 2010 LD's who've gone to Labour will likely stay with Labour but the 2010 LD's who've stayed with the LD's throughout the coalition might be tempted to tactically vote for their coalition partner they've worked with for the last 5 years.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    If you're into political trivia - this man is a walking pub quiz of answers - well worth following

https://twitter.com/allanholloway
  • Options
    Not only that, he's going to spend nearly half the time before the 2015 GE on an internal Labour issue he should have tackled in his first year - and all because of a 'non-story'!
    fitalass said:

Ed Miliband look far too complacent about the failures of Labour legacy and the outcome of the next GE.

Plato said:

Alex Wickham @WikiGuido

• Options
    @MikeL
    That is a significantly better article than the one on Youguv.But nowhere in it has he explained how he got the 7%...He says that the swingometer on ukpollingreport predicts a Labour lead of 1% is sufficient for a majority and perhaps one could add MOE of 2% to include the factors he has mentioned,but it seems a big jump to 7%.

Also he has used peak poll leads as the predictor of general election success.What I would be interested is how stable those peak poll leads were.Labour`s poll lead has been fairly stable so far and whether it means they they ride better down the home stretch remains to be seen
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    SMukesh said:

@MikeL
    That is a significantly better article than the one on Youguv.But nowhere in it has he explained how he got the 7%...He says that the swingometer on ukpollingreport predicts a Labour lead of 1% is sufficient for a majority and perhaps one could add MOE of 2% to include the factors he has mentioned,but it seems a big jump to 7%.

Also he has used peak poll leads as the predictor of general election success.What I would be interested is how stable those peak poll leads were.Labour`s poll lead has been fairly stable so far and whether it means they they ride better down the home stretch remains to be seen

Mr SMukesh, haven't seen you about for a while, nice to see you're posting again.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

Thanks...Your nice message is much appreciated
  • Options
    Twitter
    Sky News ‏@SkyNews 9m
    £2bn Lloyds Profit Triggers Stake Sale Talks http://news.sky.com/story/1121187/2bn-lloyds-profit-triggers-stake-sale-talks
  • Options
    tim said:

Plus the public (people in general) hate to be told they've made a mistake last time. This has been discussed in the past on US primary threads and in general it makes people small-c conservative and more likely to endorse the existing local serving candidate regardless of party.

When all the leaflets pile through your door if you don't generally care then they can seem very similar but the one that says "Re-Elect xxx" will stand out much, much more.
    Labour are all over your area like a rash.
    The Scottish Nationalist defence - for something 8 months earlier - is that 'the campaign hasn't started yet'......meanwhile, I suspect the new MPs are making sure they appear in the local rag/local radio, 'sticking up for the voters of....'

It's called 'incumbency'.....'insurgency' is a different job - and if the central brand is fooked (no, I won't post the Ed Miliband 'weak' rating again...) so are you.....

• Options
    dugarbandierdugarbandier Posts: 2,596
    tim said:

government’s plans to charge visitors from India, Nigeria and four other countries a £3,000 bond to come here,

do they really have this plan? are they actually insane?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    What a wonderful show Kim Fat Wun is putting on to celebrate the sixtieth anniversary of the Korean War Armistice.

The choreographed dancing in the May Day Stadium of Pyongyang is as spectacular as anything I've seen since Danny Boyle's Opening Ceremony for the London 2012 Olympics.

And all so peaceful too.

Mortality rates under Kim's parading soldiers and tanks appear to much lower than those under Burnham's nurses and in Boyle's NHS beds.
  • Options
    tim said:

You and Mike both have first time incumbents in your seats, yet neither of you have seen any Tory activity while Labour are all over your area like a rash.
    What the Tories are doing on the ground will impact on incumbency, and their dwindling membership seems to be struggling to put in an appearance at the moment.
    You're saying that because of my story earlier of a Labour Councillor knocking on my door canvassing? I've never had that happen before for any party so think its noteworthy but while I haven't seen our MP in person I get a leaflet through the door every ~3months saying what he's been doing etc with lots of pictures. Labour are definitely trying in this seat today but until today outside of election time I've never heard from Labour.

I have no idea if any parties canvassed when I've been out.
  • Options

tim said:

You and Mike both have first time incumbents in your seats, yet neither of you have seen any Tory activity while Labour are all over your area like a rash.
    What the Tories are doing on the ground will impact on incumbency, and their dwindling membership seems to be struggling to put in an appearance at the moment.
    I get a leaflet through the door every ~3months saying what he's been doing etc with lots of pictures.
    'Incumbency'.....

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106
    Selections announced so far today:

Blackpool North, Lab: Sam Rushworth
    Rochford & Southend East, Lab: Ian Gilbert
    Dorset South, Lab: Simon Bowkett
    Amber Valley, Lab: Kevin Gillott
    Newton Abbot, LD: Richard Younger-Ross
    Birmingham Erdington, Con: Robert Alden
    Leeds North West, Lab: Alex Sobel
  • Options
    @Plato Wow, just seen Burnham's original tweet, its tin foil hat territory!
    Twitter
    Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 8h
    Despite media silence, people have twigged Tory #NHS strategy: run it down, undermine public confidence, propose privatisation as answer.

Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 4h
    RT to remind @David_Cameron & @Jeremy_Hunt that they have never been given your permission to put the #NHS up for sale.
    Plato said:

Alex Wickham @WikiGuido

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    The elderly are being scapegoated for the economic misfortunes of the young – when in fact they are driving the recovery

"It is harder than ever to regard the over-65s as a burden, given that a million of them are now taxpaying employees. Across all sectors, businesses report the benefits of employing older workers. McDonald’s, for example, reports a 20 per cent higher performance in outlets employing workers aged over 60 as well as younger workers........

If the old saved, are they to be blamed for the subsequent fruits of this thrift? After a lifetime of paying for the welfare state, is it so bad that they draw on the account into which they paid so heavily? Isn’t it only civilised that those who first defended and then rebuilt this nation are afforded some respect and extra consideration? The Pinchists reject it all. Anyone who has anything that anyone else doesn’t have doesn’t deserve to have it, they argue — even if they have slogged their guts out for it. Is that not the sacred dogma of the religion of redistribution?

What this totally ignores is the many ways in which older people are subsidising the younger generations. According to a report by JP Morgan Asset Management, more than one third of grandparents say they are contributing to their family’s everyday living costs. A fifth have helped their children raise a deposit for a house, a quarter have paid some of the money towards a holiday, and just over a third buy school uniforms and clothes for their grandkids or help cover the cost of school trips. Figures from Carers UK show that 1.3 million pensioners are caring for disabled or older loved ones, up a third over the last 10 years. This saves the economy £119 billion a year.......

The readiness to point the finger at the elderly is all of a piece with a particularly odious British attitude. In most societies, the elderly are revered. But the British treat them worse than in almost any other European country, coming 17th out of 20 in terms of the percentage of national income spent on long-term residential care and home help for pensioners. Today’s boomers face the grim prospect of being increasingly dumped in old people’s homes by younger generations who no longer feel any duty to care."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8971781/help-the-aged-2/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Friday Newsletter July 26th 2013
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Despite media silence, people have twigged Tory #NHS strategy: run it down, undermine public confidence, propose privatisation as answer.
    Retweeted by Alastair Campbell
  • Options
    @fitalass - he may also be libellous:

"Now we know why Crosby was so determined to stop standard packs: there's evidence it is already damaging his client"

As the actress said to the Bishop 'substantiate or withdraw!'
  • Options
    Toby Helm tweets:

Labour lead over Tories 11% - n/c - in Opinium/Observer poll. Lab 39 (+1) Con 28 (+1) UKIP 16 (-3) LDems 8 (+2). But Cam tops Mil on l'ship.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Speak-your-weight Machines at Immigration?

Authorities in New Zealand have told a South African chef he is too fat to be allowed to live in the country.

Immigration officials said Albert Buitenhuis, who weighs 130kg (286 pounds), did not have "an acceptable standard of health".

He now faces expulsion despite shedding 30kg since he moved to the city of Christchurch six years ago.

New Zealand has one of the highest obesity rates in the developed world, with nearly 30% of people overweight.

Mr Buitenhuis and his wife, Marthie, moved from South Africa to Christchurch in 2007. At the time, the chef weighed 160kg.

Until now, their annual work visas had been renewed with "very little problem", his wife said.

"We applied year after year and there were no issues," she said.

"They never mentioned Albert's weight or his health once and he was a lot heavier then."

But in early May, the couple was told their work visas had been declined because of Mr Buitenhuis's weight.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23475583
  • Options
    Burnham is really turning into a loose cannon these days, he isn't doing himself of his party any favours right now. And meantime Jeremy Hunt is getting on with the job of trying to root out bad practices at failing hospitals for the good of the patients.

"Now we know why Crosby was so determined to stop standard packs: there's evidence it is already damaging his client"

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    After a bad week for New-Labour is Wee-Timmy losing the plot?

Up-tread he appears to be cheering some pressure-group's decision to challenge the deportation of illegal-immigrants. Surely - even after Duchess MadBint's "equaliity legislation" - the 'Uman-Riots Act does not allow Johnnie-foreigner to break English criminal laws, no...?
  • Options
    Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 6m

Labour lead over Tories 11% - n/c - in Opinium/Observer poll. Lab 39 (+1) Con 28 (+1) UKIP 16 (-3) LDems 8 (+2). But Cam tops Mil on l'ship.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    Labour is 38-39 with almost all pollsters. Remarkably consistent - it is the UKIP./Con split that is all over the shop. Lib Dems on laughable numbers everywhere (8-12)
  • Options
    @tim - proof that 'Crosby was determined to stop standard packs'?

You'll have to do better that...
  • Options
    Only one of them is focussed on 'patients'.....the other on defending his 'record'....
    fitalass said:

Jeremy Hunt is getting on with the job of trying to root out bad practices at failing hospitals for the good of the patients.

• Options
    tim said:

@tim - proof that 'Crosby was determined to stop standard packs'?

You'll have to do better that...

Where's the libel?
    So your defence is that 'Burnham was not referring to the UK'....good luck with that!

• Options
    11% lead is terrible for Labour during this hot summer.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    edited July 2013
    When a new Labour figure criticises the Tories for trying to privatise the NHS is it just out of frustration at having been beaten to it?
  • Options
    @ farmer tim - 'must try harder' - at least under Lansley/Hunt we are learning of the failings...

"The former chair of the CQC, Baroness Young, has made very serious allegations that ministers 'leaned on' her to 'tone down' criticism of NHS organisations. She claims that "there was huge government pressure, because the government hated the idea that a regulator would criticise it". Damningly, she revealed that this political pressure peaked under current shadow health secretary's Andy Burnham's tenure as secretary of state. This is why Labour turned down 81 separate requests for a public inquiry into the Mid Staffs scandal."

http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2013/06/20/comment-andy-burnham-s-responsibility-for-secrecy
  • Options
    Interesting polling on MP's 'second incomes':

http://nottspolitics.org/2013/07/27/public-care-about-source-of-mps-second-incomes/

"If the aim of any income cap is to make politicians more popular, then we need to realise that the issue for the public is not just the sums of money involved but both the sums and the source. Continue to earn £50k from a company that you had set up before becoming an MP, and the public do not especially seem to mind. But earn even £10k from continuing your profession as a lawyer or a GP, they do. They object even more to directorships – the spoils of electoral war for some MPs – but again the sum doesn’t hugely matter; £10k earned from directorships is worse than £50k earned from pre-existing occupations. But in terms of just the sums: for a backbench MP £10,000 would be below the proposed 15% cap. In other words, it won’t do much good."
  • Options
    tim said:

Have the PB Tory Stats geniuses worked out their reply to the "23,400 needless deaths under the Tories" yet?

Such a shame that it's "13,000 needless deaths under Labour" that's got all the publicity....

• Options
    tim said:

Hence the ... £3k bonds for Indians

I thought Cameron said he was against this particular insanity when he was in .. India!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,178
    fitalass said:

@Plato Wow, just seen Burnham's original tweet, its tin foil hat territory!
    Twitter

Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 4h
    RT to remind @David_Cameron & @Jeremy_Hunt that they have never been given your permission to put the #NHS up for sale.

Plato said:

Alex Wickham @WikiGuido

That's fairly disgusting. It's an attempt to rally the more stupid of Labour supporters, but one that is an utter lie.

It's particularly stupid as Labour, when in power, put more and more NHS services in the private sector.

A message to Mr Burnham: if you really want to undermine public confidence in the NHS, the best way is to try to hide when things go wrong.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @fitalass

'Andy Burnham ‏@andyburnhammp 8h
    Despite media silence, people have twigged Tory #NHS strategy: run it down, undermine public confidence, propose privatisation as answer.'

People have twigged Andy's NHS strategy,don't talk about patients,undermine public confidence and never take the blame for anything.

Dead man walking.
  • Options
    tim said:

Have the PB Tory Stats geniuses worked out their reply to the "23,400 needless deaths under the Tories" yet?

http://www.standard.co.uk/panewsfeeds/probe-as-death-figures-increase-8731022.html

Or are they still working on their masterplan to save money on health spending by taxing sporting activities?

Tut.tut...Haven`t you learnt by now?Any good news is due to the genius of Cameron and Osborne and any bad news is due to the failures of the previous Labour governments of 2005,1997,1964 and 1931

• Options
    Neil said:

When a new Labour figure criticises the Tories for trying to privatise the NHS is it just out of frustration at having been beaten to it?

possibly

Retweeted by Alastair Campbell

However Alastair Campbell retweeted it.

He is a better political advisor than Plato and fitalass at winning elections .
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    tim said:

"Clegg complains over 'go home' poster"

http://www.politicshome.com/

We're going to see more of this empty posturing gimmickry from the Tories, for the obvious reason that they believe in the single market, so they can't outflank Farage there, so they'll try and look busy making people think they are doing something.
    But there's an elephant in the room

Harrods and The Refugee and Migrant Forum of East London don’t strike one as natural bedfellows. But they are both up in arms about the government’s immigration policies. Harrods is upset about the government’s plans to charge visitors from India, Nigeria and four other countries a £3,000 bond to come here, warning it will hit the London luxury goods market. While The Refugee and Migrant Forum of East London is threatening legal action over the vans going around various London boroughs warning illegal immigrants they could be deported.

But, as so often, when we discuss immigration in this country we aren’t talking about the elephant in the room: Britain’s EU membership. This means that people from nearly every EU member state have a right to come here to seek work. There are more than three quarters million jobs in this country being actively advertised across the EU by the EURES scheme.

As long as this is the case, all other immigration to Britain is going to be squeezed right down as governments try to show that they are controlling immigration. This is going to lead to counter-productive policies like the tight restrictions that are deterring high spending Chinese tourists from coming here.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/07/we-cant-talk-about-immigration-without-talking-about-the-eu/

Either have the guts to argue for the right of British people to work in Europe and vice versa or say you'll get out.
    Pathetic gestures like we are seeing are just a national embarrassment.

The idea of big vans going round the streets like this is creepy

The Tories are like a patient with bipolar disorder over immigration and social issues, manic one minute and laissez faire the next. When they try and 'out farage' ukip, they look racist and when they play to the middle ground they look soppy... And both seem insincere
  • Options
    @Yorkcity

I didnt offer a comment on the advisability of the tweet! I was just overawed by the stunning hypocrisy of it.
  • Options
    @tim

New Labour sold its air space!
  • Options
    tim said:

http://www.standard.co.uk/panewsfeeds/probe-as-death-figures-increase-8731022.html

Or are they still working on their masterplan to save money on health spending by taxing sporting activities?

It's a shame you didn't spend the time trying to show one of PB's lefty geniuses that claiming there was probably just one death at Stafford was statistically and logically flawed.

And a bit sick.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

It's a shame you didn't spend the time trying to show one of PB's lefty geniuses that claiming there was probably just one death at Stafford was statistically and logically flawed.

And a bit sick.
    You've already apologised over your behaviour and posts re Stafford haven't you?

Now what have you to say to the Key Stage 2 geniuses about their mortality analysis?
    Oh lordy, here you go again. Yes, I did apologise for putting a little too much blame on Burnham. But:
    a) I think my initial comments were fairly moderate, and were hardly misbehaviour. Which is a bit of a rich accusation coming from you.
    b) I apologised within a couple of hours of the second Francis report being released;

But I know you don't really know how apologies work. Or how to give them.

I know you don't care about patients; to you they are just another source of unhelpful anecdotes that take attention away from the misuse of your statistics de jour.

So Tim, crawl out from under your slimy rock of anonymity and tell us what makes you such an expert on the subject areas that you spurt verbal diarrhoea all over continuously. What are you? Why are you such an expert on statistics, MMR, science, housing, infrastructure, farming, wine, and all the other things you have typed 6,847 posts over.

Or are you just a gentleman amateur or, worse, a fool?

• Options
    Anthony Wells on the Opinium:

"The fortnightly Opinium poll for the Observer is out and has topline figures of CON 28%(+1), LAB 39%(+1), LDEM 8%(+2), UKIP 16%(-3). Their Labour lead is resolutely unchanged, but like TNS earlier in the week they have UKIP coming down from their post-local election peak of around 20 points. There’s obviously still a big methodological gulf between different pollsters on UKIP scores, but the trend is starting to be a bit more consistent."

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/7891
  • Options
    @JosiasJessop

'So Tim, crawl out from under your slimy rock of anonymity and tell us what makes you such an expert on the subject areas that you spurt verbal diarrhoea all over continuously.'

Tim just repeats whatever the party line / model answer that has been dished out by Labour HQ.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

Tim just repeats whatever the party line / model answer that has been dished out by Labour HQ.

I think Labour HQ is generally a bit above farmer tim - McBride (and now) Burnham excepted....but tim does have a valid point about Leader ratings being more important at this stage in the electoral cycle - I wonder what Opinium will reveal?

• Options
    edited July 2013

"The fortnightly Opinium poll for the Observer is out and has topline figures of CON 28%(+1), LAB 39%(+1), LDEM 8%(+2), UKIP 16%(-3). Their Labour lead is resolutely unchanged, but like TNS earlier in the week they have UKIP coming down from their post-local election peak of around 20 points. There’s obviously still a big methodological gulf between different pollsters on UKIP scores, but the trend is starting to be a bit more consistent."

A useful guide to pollsters' tweets:
    "Our findings are interesting" - we show a bunch of MOE shifts
    "Our findings are surprising" - one change is 1% more than MOE
    "Our findings will change the landscape of British politics - the findings are interesting.

This one was "interesting". Essentially the polls have settled down, except for YouGov, which has oscillation of the Con/UKIP axis. Everyone agrees Labour is on 38-39. None of the stuff about Miliband or Burnham has had any visible effect. The Tories might be creeping closer, or not. Er, that's about it.
  • Options

This one was "interesting"
    Lets see how 'interesting' the Leadership ratings are......
  • Options
    At the risk of diverting the thread away from yet another thrilling thread on Jeremy Chum (a name he appears to be known to by one man only) and Lynton Crosby a brief word on incumbency.

I don't think it makes much sense to base views on incumbent activity on a couple of seats. I'm back at my parent's in Dumfriesshire Clydesdale and Tweeddale where the local Tories remain quite active and we've had nothing from Labour since 2010. I've also had nothing from my Labour MP in Edinburgh North. This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Mike has experienced in Bedford. So it's probably a bit tricky to establish which party will benefit most from incumbent MPs and individual experiences might not tell us a great deal.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    The only SNP first time incumbent at Westminster level is Dr Eilidh Whiteford (Banff and Buchan, defending 4,027 maj over Con).

However, we have tons of first time incumbents at Holyrood level.

From memory I seem to remember someone doing a study which showed that SNP incumbents are even harder to shift than LD ones.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

john_zims said:

I think Labour HQ is generally a bit above farmer tim - McBride (and now) Burnham excepted....but tim does have a valid point about Leader ratings being more important at this stage in the electoral cycle - I wonder what Opinium will reveal?

I may be wrong but Opimium don't do the leader approval ratings you've spent 15 out of the last 16 months ignoring because Cameron was behind
    I may be wrong, but I've yet to read your analysis of why Miliband was a strategic genius to decide to spend half his remaining time as LotO having an internal battle - bounced into it by a 'non-story' too!

Why did he not embark on this two years ago - you know 'scraping off the barnacles', to borrow a phrase...'

• Options
    Interesting report from John Sparks, as well as the access he was granted to film it.

Twitter
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 17m
    John Sparks of Channel 4 News does the first ever doorstep with Kim Jung Un http://bit.ly/177FQEB
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530

"Our findings will change the landscape of British politics - the findings are interesting.

This one was "interesting". Essentially the polls have settled down, except for YouGov, which has oscillation of the Con/UKIP axis. Everyone agrees Labour is on 38-39. None of the stuff about Miliband or Burnham has had any visible effect. The Tories might be creeping closer, or not. Er, that's about it.
    Wells has it about right in that it shows a continuing confirmation of the kipper downward trend. That in itself is "interesting" I suppose but definitely not what Opinium were spinning as they seemed to think their changes and poll in itself was interesting in relation to changes from their previous polling. It ain't. As you say at or just above MOE stuff. It just means Opinium will now be treated with a great deal more scepticism whenever they put advance spin on their polling.
  • Options

"Our findings will change the landscape of British politics" - the findings are interesting.
    Well, quite.

Pollsters are marketing men, and like all marketing men they are prone to write endless screeds of total guff, with the odd flash of brilliance.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    The tourist bond thing seems specifically designed to wind-up the Indians, whose market is just opening up and offering potentially exciting opportunities to British businesses. It's a brilliant idea to make the UK seem an unwelcoming and anti-Indian location. Should help to attract plenty of Indian PhDs too. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

john_zims said:

I may be wrong but Opimium don't do the leader approval ratings you've spent 15 out of the last 16 months ignoring because Cameron was behind
    I may be wrong, but I've yet to read your analysis of why Miliband was a strategic genius to decide to spend half his remaining time as LotO having an internal battle - bounced into it by a 'non-story' too!

Why did he not embark on this two years ago - you know 'scraping off the barnacles', to borrow a phrase...'

I'm deeply troubled that a poster who spent weeks trying to persuade us tha Maria Hutchings was an excellent candidate thinks that
    Really, farmer tim?

Go on, tell us again about the Falkirk 'non-story' (and if you are really keen 'best candidate ratings' among voters in Eastleigh.....)

• Options
    'Labour pro-independence group holds first conference in Glasgow'
    ... "It's very important for the people of Scotland to see that a Yes vote doesn't just mean we will be going down a one way road. Rather a Yes vote is the starting point to choosing how best we shape our nation."

The event marks the first time the STUC has hosted an LFI event, and the group's chairman Alex Bell believes the location of the venue is just as significant as the event itself.

He said: "This is a strong message as to how a real Labour Party in Scotland would operate. It's the kind of venue Ed Miliband should take his focus groups to."
    http://news.stv.tv/politics/234255-labour-for-independence-group-holds-first-conference-at-glasgow-stuc/

• Options
    It is surprising the growth figures this week, coupled with populist opt in or out porn filters,with a good press reaction, did not effect the, The fortnightly Opinium poll for the Observer and has topline figures of CON 28%(+1), LAB 39%(+1).
  • Options
    The govenment still has a law, that all chinese students have to register with the police.

However any commenwealth countries students does not.

Never makes sense to me.

Why some countries do, and others do not , and what criteria they use for risk.
    Seems just bureacracy gone mad.
  • Options
    "Some 33% said they approved of Cameron's performance as prime minister against just 22% who said they were positive about Miliband's leadership of Labour, while 13% approved of Nick Clegg's stewardship of the Lib Dems.

For much of the spring and early summer Cameron's lead over Miliband was in low single figures. But now it appears to have stretched as better economic news has come through and the Tories have appeared more united over issues such as Europe."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/27/opinion-poll-labour-lead-miliband
  • Options

I don't think it makes much sense to base views on incumbent activity on a couple of seats. I'm back at my parent's in Dumfriesshire Clydesdale and Tweeddale where the local Tories remain quite active and we've had nothing from Labour since 2010. I've also had nothing from my Labour MP in Edinburgh North. This is pretty much the exact opposite of what Mike has experienced in Bedford. So it's probably a bit tricky to establish which party will benefit most from incumbent MPs and individual experiences might not tell us a great deal.

To be fair, Mike's main argument is based on Labour's 2010 performance over all seats. My impression is that Tory incumbents are varying greatly in the extent to which they try to endear themselves to constituents. The Brighton and Hove Tories, for instance, are reportedly trying hard, not least by embracing various progressive causes. Some others (whoever can I be thinking of?) give the impression that they see constituents as irritating people who need to be chivvied and lectured in turn. These have their fans too (people who like them really, really like them) but the net effect on floating voters is probably negative.
  • Options
    @SouthamObserver

'The tourist bond thing seems specifically designed to wind-up the Indians'

So just sit back and do nothing (that worked so well for New Labour) and then stuff the taxpayer with the massive bill to track down illegal immigrants and deport them.

By the way what's Labour's policy on this?

Pretend it's not happening?

Turn a blind eye?

Or is it still a blank piece of paper?
  • Options
    tim said:

The tourist bond thing seems specifically designed to wind-up the Indians, whose market is just opening up and offering potentially exciting opportunities to British businesses. It's a brilliant idea to make the UK seem an unwelcoming and anti-Indian location. Should help to attract plenty of Indian PhDs too. Unbelievable.

It's just being picked up in India

http://m.thehindu.com/news/international/world/visa-bond-scheme-to-go-ahead-despite-camerons-promise/article4960380.ece/

Maybe he should stick to holding hands and pointing at squid on his overseas visits

This will, quite rightly, really wind-up the Indians. It will be hugely damaging to the UK's standing there. Notice how that Hindu report picked up on the "non-white" aspect of the story. That's how it will be seen and it will reinforce everything Indians have been brought up to believe about our attitudes towards them. Why do business with a country that clearly discriminates against Indians (and Nigerians etc) when there are plenty of others that don't? This Tory posturing for a decent headline in the Mail, Telegraph and Express is going to do real damage. It's unbelievably crass.

• Options
    john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

'The tourist bond thing seems specifically designed to wind-up the Indians'

So just sit back and do nothing (that worked so well for New Labour) and then stuff the taxpayer with the massive bill to track down illegal immigrants and deport them.

By the way what's Labour's policy on this?

Pretend it's not happening?

Turn a blind eye?

Or is it still a blank piece of paper?

I don't know what Labour's policy is, but having done business in India this year I know exactly how Indians will react to this news. It's going to make things much harder there, just at a time when real opportunities were beginning to appear.

• Options
    Why did Cameron promise that on his visit to India ?

Surely he would have been better to neither confirm or deny this, on his visit there earlier this year.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Is the corn being brought in in Cheshire lots of flailing going on...oh look a rabbit and another one.. oops dozens of em..
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

Yorkcity said:

Surely he would have been better to neither confirm or deny this, on his visit there earlier this year.

Dave tells the people he's talking to what they want to hear.
    That's always been the case, he is what he is.
    You can say that about all 3 main party leaders,your party wants to cut down on immigration doesn't it,but what I keep hearing from the labour party and it's supporters is more immigration.

• Options
    @SouthamObserver

'I don't know what Labour's policy is, but having done business in India this year I know exactly how Indians will react to this news. It's going to make things much harder there, just at a time when real opportunities were beginning to appear.'

So on the basis of a business trip 'I know exactly how Indians will react',seems each time you make a business trip you become an overnight expert.

I'm sure you were telling us how critical the UK's overseas aid was to India,that really worked well in the recent Fighter deal.

• Options

"Some 33% said they approved of Cameron's performance as prime minister against just 22% who said they were positive about Miliband's leadership of Labour, while 13% approved of Nick Clegg's stewardship of the Lib Dems.

For much of the spring and early summer Cameron's lead over Miliband was in low single figures. But now it appears to have stretched as better economic news has come through and the Tories have appeared more united over issues such as Europe."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/27/opinion-poll-labour-lead-miliband

When you consider what an easy hand Miliband has been dealt his ratings really are dire. It reinforces my view that come the election when people have to really decide if they want Miliband and Balls (assuming he doesn't hide in the USA for the duration of the campaign) in charge then the Tories have a real chance.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

'I don't know what Labour's policy is, but having done business in India this year I know exactly how Indians will react to this news. It's going to make things much harder there, just at a time when real opportunities were beginning to appear.'

So on the basis of a business trip 'I know exactly how Indians will react',seems each time you make a business trip you become an overnight expert.

I'm sure you were telling us how critical the UK's overseas aid was to India,that really worked well in the recent Fighter deal.

The labour party better get they immigration policy sorted for the GE or they will be laughed at all over the media.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

http://m.thehindu.com/news/international/world/visa-bond-scheme-to-go-ahead-despite-camerons-promise/article4960380.ece/

Maybe he should stick to holding hands and pointing at squid on his overseas visits

This will, quite rightly, really wind-up the Indians. It will be hugely damaging to the UK's standing there. Notice how that Hindu report picked up on the "non-white" aspect of the story. That's how it will be seen and it will reinforce everything Indians have been brought up to believe about our attitudes towards them. Why do business with a country that clearly discriminates against Indians (and Nigerians etc) when there are plenty of others that don't? This Tory posturing for a decent headline in the Mail, Telegraph and Express is going to do real damage. It's unbelievably crass.

It's a gift to Canada Australia and the USA that's for sure.
    It won't even win UKIP voters over, Farage will just claim the Tories are doing this to divert attention from the fact that they are letting a billion Bulgarians in
    A gift to Australia, tim?

But Australia already has a system of security bonds in place. Any application for a visa to visit a family member in Australia is subject to a discretionary request for a bond:

The Sponsored Family stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600) is intended to be used by people seeking to come to Australia to visit family. The Sponsored Family stream requires formal sponsorship of a visa applicant by an Australian citizen or permanent resident. In some cases, a security bond may be requested.

Formal sponsorship by a sponsor is required to ensure the visa holder will abide by their visa conditions and leave Australia at the end of their visit.

The imposition of a security bond is decided on a case by case basis. It is an added assurance that the visa holder will depart Australia and is normally applied in those cases where some concerns remain about an applicant's intention to comply with their visa conditions.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited July 2013
    PB's resident know it all about a absolutely everything everywhere and the renowned political guru tries to make a political point about the PM on holiday in Portugal, visiting a famous Portugese fish market and pointing at a fish on a slab .
    That is probably the most astute and devastating political statement tim has made all year, the man is awesome.
    Cue minder,
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

It won't even win UKIP voters over, Farage will just claim the Tories are doing this to divert attention from the fact that they are letting a billion Bulgarians in
    OK, so we have established that Britain implementing bond requirements may not be a gift to Australia.

What about Canada?

From "Citizenship and Immigration Canada" official government website:

The Government of Canada will never ask you to deposit money into a personal bank account or to transfer money through a specific company. However, in some cases, an immigration officer at the Canadian port of entry can require you to post a bond in form of a cash deposit to ensure that you comply with certain terms and conditions during your visit to Canada (i.e. leaving Canada when your approved period of stay is over).

If a bond in the form of a cash deposit is required, the officer fixes the deposit amount based on your financial resources and other conditions set out in Canada’s Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.

• Options

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

The labour party better get they immigration policy sorted for the GE or they will be laughed at all over the media.
    Plenty of time yet for them to swing behind the Tory position. Obviously after opposing it for a while first.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Yorkcity said:

You can say that about all 3 main party leaders,your party wants to cut down on immigration doesn't it,but what I keep hearing from the labour party and it's supporters is more immigration.

I'm not particularly enamoured with any party's views on immigration housing or drugs, Cameron used to have views that were sound on the latter, Clegg on the former and they've changed to pander to morons
    Hopefully Miliband will shift from the mad consensus on housing inflation

You're the target audience for this stuff,a UKIP/Tory switcher, but you are more concerned about numbers rather than race, and Cameron thinks you're a cretin who will fall for these stunts when it's European immigration you're more bothered about.
    Like hell I'll be falling for what labour says on this,the numbers from the new Eu countries is down to labour,why didn't labour put a waiting period on open borders from the new Eastern European countries like many other countries.

Your party cannot be trusted on immigration tim,you know that.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

tim said:

tim said:

A gift to Australia, tim?

But Australia already has a system of security bonds in place. Any application for a visa to visit a family member in Australia is subject to a discretionary request for a bond:

The Sponsored Family stream of the Visitor visa (subclass 600) is intended to be used by people seeking to come to Australia to visit family. The Sponsored Family stream requires formal sponsorship of a visa applicant by an Australian citizen or permanent resident. In some cases, a security bond may be requested.

Formal sponsorship by a sponsor is required to ensure the visa holder will abide by their visa conditions and leave Australia at the end of their visit.

The imposition of a security bond is decided on a case by case basis. It is an added assurance that the visa holder will depart Australia and is normally applied in those cases where some concerns remain about an applicant's intention to comply with their visa conditions.

So not a scheme specifically targeting certain nationalities then. That is the problem, not the principle of a bond.

• Options

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Plenty of time yet for them to swing behind the Tory position. Obviously after opposing it for a while first.
    Wonder what pb labourites will think of that when it happens - weak ed ?
  • Options
    tim said:

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Not many differences between the three parties on immigration (students excepted) that's why Cameron is keen on these embarrassing stunts, to persuade UKIP voters that there is

But he still wants to let 29 million Romanians and Bulgarians live in your garden
    Bloody hell,another tory policy labour fall behind - weak ed.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    isam said:

The idea of big vans going round the streets like this is creepy

The Tories are like a patient with bipolar disorder over immigration and social issues, manic one minute and laissez faire the next. When they try and 'out farage' ukip, they look racist and when they play to the middle ground they look soppy... And both seem insincere

They're not bipolar. They're just insincere. The vans will be driving around the last remaining wwc areas in London to try and make it look like the govt is serious. It's New Labour tactics - make a loud tough sounding announcement every six weeks or so while quietly keeping the borders open - and like with New Labour it will probably work at least a bit. Very cheap too.

Farage shouldn't waste time attacking any of these policies as it will just get lost in the static anyway. He should use them as a springboard to keep making the *same* point over and over: we can't fully control our borders until we escape from the EU.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Avery
    The Tory policy as reported doesn't look at anything on a case by case basis it singles out particular countries
    You can be a "high risk" Indonesian or Syrian visitor to the UK and you won't have to pay the bond.
    Lets see what it ends up as when Dave has had some Indian linked businesses on the phone to him

Farage of course will point out that Dave wants to let every Romanian in regardless of risk

So does ed and labour.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

tim said:

The Conservative government can pass any racist immigration policy it likes; what I don't understand is why then take a planeload of business people over there if you despise them so much !

Come again, how many Chinese business people visited Shengen countries and how many visited Britain ?

Britain under the Tories wants to be a small white island !
  • Options

john_zims said:

@SouthamObserver

Wonder what pb labourites will think of that when it happens - weak ed ?
    Ed is a man of steel. The only people who can't see this are idiot PB Tories. Oh, and most of the general public.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

tim said:

tim

I guess you could always delete Canada and Australia in an edit of your previous post. That would leave just the USA.

... wait a minute ...

I have just seen this question asked by an Indian national wishing to change employers after obtaining an entry visa and work permit:

I am in India right now and got a valid H1 (Stamped) from Company "A" but with a Bond of 25K or @ years. The only thing which I signed was the offer letter where the bond amount and duration was mentioned.

Now I got an offer from Company "B" who is ready to do my H1 Transfer but he is asking me to come to US on Company "A"'s H1 and the he will apply for H1 Transfer under "premium processing" since I dont have paystubs from Company "A". I do have SSN (from my previous travel on L1 from my current Company) Here are my questions...

Oh dear, probably best just to delete your earlier post altogether, tim, rather than just edit it.

It seems the UK is the last major country in the world to be implementing security bonds as a pre-requirement for granting temporary work and visitor visas.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

tim said:

The Conservative government can pass any racist immigration policy it likes; what I don't understand is why then take a planeload of business people over there if you despise them so much !

Come again, how many Chinese business people visited Shengen countries and how many visited Britain ?

Britain under the Tories wants to be a small white island !
    Haven't you noticed,labour are following tory policy on immigration.

• Options
    I take it Somalis do not have to put up a bond as they are not "high risk". They didn't dare include Nepal as that would bring out Joanna Lumley again !
  • Options

tim said:

tim said:

Yorkcity said:

I'm not particularly enamoured with any party's views on immigration housing or drugs, Cameron used to have views that were sound on the latter, Clegg on the former and they've changed to pander to morons
    Hopefully Miliband will shift from the mad consensus on housing inflation

You're the target audience for this stuff,a UKIP/Tory switcher, but you are more concerned about numbers rather than race, and Cameron thinks you're a cretin who will fall for these stunts when it's European immigration you're more bothered about.
    Like hell I'll be falling for what labour says on this,the numbers from the new Eu countries is down to labour,why didn't labour put a waiting period on open borders from the new Eastern European countries like many other countries.

Your party cannot be trusted on immigration tim,you know that.

I am extremely happy that they didn't; just like Sweden, Ireland and Denmark. We joined the EU when the original treaty clearly enshrined free movement of labour. The Tories knew about this when they joined the EC in 1973 !

We don't have to be like the rest. We should be better. Not a small white island !
This discussion has been closed.