Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How the first time incumbency bonus can impact on the unifo

Comments

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    tim said:

@TykeJohnno

You seem to be under the impression that I'm upset that Camerons posturing on immigration has led to one in six Tories looking at his offer and choosing UKIP
    I'm not really
    He's damaging the country and is deeply embarrassing but that shouldn't be a party issue

No,I'm under the impression that a majority in this country want immigration cut and out of touch posters like you and the rest of pb labour are really out of touch with the grass root labour supporters who live in the real world of overcrowded cities and towns.

You keep trying to put pb tories in a box as clueless but on immigration tim,you and the rest of the pb labour are clueless on this subject.

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    @ALP
    The instance you mention is for Work-related visa whereas the current restrictions proposed are for visitor`s visa.
    It may help to reduce illegal immigration from India but also reduce tourists who generally arrive on visitor`s visas.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited July 2013
    Now we have established that Australia, Canada and the USA all have the option to require applicants by foreign nationals for visitor visas and temporary work permits to post security bonds, please would Southam Observer, Surbiton and tim:

- agree the wording of an apology to Theresa May and the Home Office;
    - print it on a billboard sized poster;
    - attach it to tim's white Ford transit van (spares now only available from Turkey);
    - drive it around PB for twenty four hours to the satisfaction of all PBers.

P.S. Southam Observer can drive as he is the most reasonable of the three.
    P.P.S. SO is permitted to smoke Havana cigars while driving provided his stock of cigars is kept in a plain box without any form of advertising or branding thereon.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Now that the Cameroons have adopted New Labour's spin tactics on immigration and all three are hell-bent on starving Ukip of any publicity oxygen Ukip need a new tactic imo - something to stop the momentum grinding to a halt until the EU elections.

The only things i can think of are
    - Farage picking the most likely local election a week and spending a couple of days there
    - focusing on some relevant single-issue campaign with crossover appeal e.g. energy prices / windmills
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    surbiton said:

Like hell I'll be falling for what labour says on this,the numbers from the new Eu countries is down to labour,why didn't labour put a waiting period on open borders from the new Eastern European countries like many other countries.

Your party cannot be trusted on immigration tim,you know that.

I am extremely happy that they didn't; just like Sweden, Ireland and Denmark. We joined the EU when the original treaty clearly enshrined free movement of labour. The Tories knew about this when they joined the EC in 1973 !

We don't have to be like the rest. We should be better. Not a small white island !
    Exactly. We can try to win over tykejohnno by pretending we can stoip free movement of labour, and fail (see above), or we can tell it like it is - the modern world means people moving in and out, and anyone who tries to pretend they'll stop it is just lying.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Good evening, everyone.

Apparently Grosjean was fortunate not to get a grid penalty. His floor broke, but the stewards were satisfied it was the result of an accident.

Although Hungary isn't my favourite circuit, the grid's intriguingly poised. Nice jumble of cars at the start, Webber starts 10th and Di Resta's 18th. Pretty poor from the Scot, and he's half a second and 7 places down the road from his team mate.

Right now, if I were Ferrari, I'd be looking to Hulkenberg (assuming Massa is replaced shortly).
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@TykeJohnno

You seem to be under the impression that I'm upset that Camerons posturing on immigration has led to one in six Tories looking at his offer and choosing UKIP
    I'm not really
    He's damaging the country and is deeply embarrassing but that shouldn't be a party issue

No,I'm under the impression that a majority in this country want immigration cut and out of touch posters like you and the rest of pb labour are really out of touch with the grass root labour supporters who live in the real world of overcrowded cities and towns.

You keep trying to put pb tories in a box as clueless but on immigration tim,you and the rest of the pb labour are clueless on this subject.

So do the Tories want to give 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians the right to move here or not?
    And do they want to judge India as "high risk" and Kosovo and Russia as "low risk" to try and win some headlines to divert the people from that simple fact?

I assume Kosovo isn't on the pilot list because of the relatively low volumes of Kosovan visitors to the UK. I assume the countries that are on the list have relatively large levels of visa applications. I'm pretty sure they haven't picked six countries at random.

As or this damaging the UK perhaps you could use your vast knowledge of economics to quantify this.
  • Options
    We don't want Potters Bar polluted with such vulgarity.
    Although I do know a guy with a printing firm who could do him a good price
    AveryLP said:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    SMukesh said:

@ALP
    The instance you mention is for Work-related visa whereas the current restrictions proposed are for visitor`s visa.
    It may help to reduce illegal immigration from India but also reduce tourists who generally arrive on visitor`s visas.

Careful, SMukesh, there are no comfy seats in the back of tim's transit van.

I was attempting to establish the principle rather than give a detailed explanation of the scope of visa security bonds in each country.

The Australian example relates to a family visitor visa application, the US one to a combined visa and temporary work permit; and, the Canadian is non specific.

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

@TykeJohnno

I'm not really

So do the Tories want to give 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians the right to move here or not?
    And do they want to judge India as "high risk" and Kosovo and Russia as "low risk" to try and win some headlines to divert the people from that simple fact?

So do Labour want to give 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians the right to move here or not ?

We all can play your silly little game,you party can't win on immigration so your job on here is to cloud the subject.

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2013
    @Surbiton

'Britain under the Tories wants to be a small white island !'

When a moron plays the race card you know they have lost the argument.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Like hell I'll be falling for what labour says on this,the numbers from the new Eu countries is down to labour,why didn't labour put a waiting period on open borders from the new Eastern European countries like many other countries.

I am extremely happy that they didn't; just like Sweden, Ireland and Denmark. We joined the EU when the original treaty clearly enshrined free movement of labour. The Tories knew about this when they joined the EC in 1973 !

We don't have to be like the rest. We should be better. Not a small white island !
    Exactly. We can try to win over tykejohnno by pretending we can stoip free movement of labour, and fail (see above), or we can tell it like it is - the modern world means people moving in and out, and anyone who tries to pretend they'll stop it is just lying.
    We could easily stop free movement of Labour from the EU by coming out of the EU.
    We could easily stop the demand for illegal workers through exemplary sanctions of the employers of illegal workers - stopping the demand would stop the supply.
  • Options

surbiton said:

But your party could have stopped the free movement from the new eastern European countries.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    john_zims said:

@Surbiton

When a moron plays the race card you know they have.lost the argument.

john_zims said:

@Surbiton

So, the six countries were chosen randomly , were they ? It still does not solve the Romanian and Bulgarian "problem" as you see it.

So many hundreds of thousands Poles came here and really helped the economy. I am sure the Romanians and Bulgarians would do the same as they would be as hard working as the Poles.

Just to let the PBTories salivate a bit; my cleaner is a Bulgarian. She works bloody hard !!
  • Options

surbiton said:

But your party could have stopped the free movement from the new eastern European countries.

They don't want to stop it. Saying it can't be stopped is a tactic.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@Surbiton

When a moron plays the race card you know they have lost the argument.

I'm intrigued by how the Island is going to become physically bigger under Labour!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

john_zims said:

@Surbiton

john_zims said:

@Surbiton

So, the six countries were chosen randomly , were they ? It still does not solve the Romanian and Bulgarian "problem" as you see it.

So many hundreds of thousands Poles came here and really helped the economy. I am sure the Romanians and Bulgarians would do the same as they would be as hard working as the Poles.

Just to let the PBTories salivate a bit; my cleaner is a Bulgarian. She works bloody hard !!
    I assume they were chosen for being the countries with the highest number of people on tourist visas who disappeared into the illegal economy.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

@TykeJohnno

I'm not really

So do Labour want to give 29 million Bulgarians and Romanians the right to move here or not ?

We all can play your silly little game,you party can't win on immigration so your job on here is to cloud the subject.

Of course Labour do, and the Lib Dems, and the Tories.
    But the Tories are leaking votes to UKIP so they're trying to throw up chaff.

As for not winning on immigration, one in six Tory voters going to UKIP over immigration is a massive win for Labour.
    Labour grass root supporter,maybe a majority of people who vote labour,do they want immigration cut ?

If so,it just proves how out of touch pb labour are with they voters.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited July 2013
    AveryLP said:

Now we have established that Australia, Canada and the USA all have the option to require applicants by foreign nationals for visitor visas and temporary work permits to post security bonds, please would Southam Observer, Surbiton and tim:

- attach it to tim's white Ford transit van (spares now only available from Turkey);

P.P.S. SO is permitted to smoke Havana cigars while driving provided his stock of cigars is kept in a plain box without any form of advertising or branding thereon.

Reading many of the posts on Conservativehome in a recent thread about May and Immigration , there are many who think touring areas with a large poster saying immigrants go home is not going far enough . Perhaps the next step would be making immigrants walk around with a yellow symbol on their front and back . This could be followed by forcing them all to live in certain clearly defined areas . There is a further stage if that does not force them all to go home voluntarily .

• Options

AveryLP said:

You are safe Hertsmere.

tim's role is navigator. And I am fairly certain he has never ventured anywhere south of Birmingham. Reaching Potters Bar would be beyond his competence,

• Options
    surbiton said:

john_zims said:

@Surbiton

john_zims said:

@Surbiton

pro-immigration lobby = cheap hard-working servants lobby
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Reading many of the posts on Conservativehome in a recent thread about May and Immigration , there are many who think touring areas with a large poster saying immigrants go home is not going far enough . Perhaps the next step would be making immigrants walk around with a yellow symbol on their front and back . This could be followed by forcing them all to live in certain clearly defined areas . There is a further stage if that does not force them all to go home voluntarily .

Mark, there are some who would not say it but that would reflect their personal view. The Tories are deliberately whipping up immigration. The black commonwealth countries have been singled out because they are impotent against Romanians and Bulgarians coming in here.

No one seems to be addressing the issue of who will pay the taxes and as the ratio of workers to pensioners keep falling.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

A tremendous parody of the average poster on Comment is Free! Well done Mark!
  • Options
    Mr. Senior, when you go so far you diminish your own position rather than that of those whose views you oppose.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Opinium Poll

"Some 33% said they approved of Cameron's performance as prime minister against just 22% who said they were positive about Miliband's leadership of Labour, while 13% approved of Nick Clegg's stewardship of the Lib Dems.

For much of the spring and early summer Cameron's lead over Miliband was in low single figures. But now it appears to have stretched as better economic news has come through and the Tories have appeared more united over issues such as Europe.

Voters were also asked whether their views of each party had become more positive or negative over the last year.

There was little cheer for any of the three major, established parties, although the trend for Labour was less sharply negative than for the Tories or Lib Dems.

Among voters, 41% reported no change in their attitude to the Labour party, while 20% said they were more positive and 34% more negative. Only 18% were more positive about the Tories while 42% regarded them more negatively.

For the Lib Dems just 7% felt more positive about them and 47% more negative.

Only Ukip came out well on the year-on-year question: 30% said they had a more positive of Nigel Farage's party against 25% who view them more negatively than 12 months ago."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/27/opinion-poll-labour-lead-miliband
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

Mark, there are some who would not say it but that would reflect their personal view. The Tories are deliberately whipping up immigration. The black commonwealth countries have been singled out because they are impotent against Romanians and Bulgarians coming in here.

No one seems to be addressing the issue of who will pay the taxes and as the ratio of workers to pensioners keep falling.
    Tories deliberately whipping up immigration

On pb,every time I come on here and immigration is the subject,a certain labour poster nearly all of the time starts it.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    @surbiton

'So, the six countries were chosen randomly , were they ? It still does not solve the Romanian and Bulgarian "problem" as you see it.'

Presumably the six countries were chosen because their citizens account for a high proportion of illegal immigrants in the UK.

I know it's pushing the boundaries,but how hard is it to get you head around the fact that some Romanians & Bulgarians have the right under the EU to work here now (and all from 1.1.14),but not all Nigerians & Indians.

Wonderful to know that your Bulgarian cleaner works hard.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Reading many of the posts on Conservativehome in a recent thread about May and Immigration , there are many who think touring areas with a large poster saying immigrants go home is not going far enough . Perhaps the next step would be making immigrants walk around with a yellow symbol on their front and back . This could be followed by forcing them all to live in certain clearly defined areas . There is a further stage if that does not force them all to go home voluntaI rily .

Mark, I appear to have flagged your post as "off topic" which quite evidently it is not. My apologies. It happened by accident and I can't work out how to reverse it.

However, I do feel your recommendations may be a little out of date if not off topic, but this may only be a metropolitan view held outside the confines of Worthing.

I also feel the details of your proposals might be better discussed on blogs other than PB. I am afraid I can't advise on which blogs in particular would be suitable but Sir Roderick will be along in a couple of hours and may be able to help you.

My best regards to your lady friend.

• Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

And what do labour grass root want on immigration,labour pb are really out of touch with they own voters - laughable.

• Options
    Financier said:

Opinium Poll

"Some 33% said they approved of Cameron's performance as prime minister against just 22% who said they were positive about Miliband's leadership of Labour, while 13% approved of Nick Clegg's stewardship of the Lib Dems.

For much of the spring and early summer Cameron's lead over Miliband was in low single figures. But now it appears to have stretched as better economic news has come through and the Tories have appeared more united over issues such as Europe.

Voters were also asked whether their views of each party had become more positive or negative over the last year.

There was little cheer for any of the three major, established parties, although the trend for Labour was less sharply negative than for the Tories or Lib Dems.

Among voters, 41% reported no change in their attitude to the Labour party, while 20% said they were more positive and 34% more negative. Only 18% were more positive about the Tories while 42% regarded them more negatively.

For the Lib Dems just 7% felt more positive about them and 47% more negative.

Only Ukip came out well on the year-on-year question: 30% said they had a more positive of Nigel Farage's party against 25% who view them more negatively than 12 months ago."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/27/opinion-poll-labour-lead-miliband

You just forgot to mention that Labour has a 11% lead !
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Nigel is sure getting around. :)

Nigel Farage to address Bruges group at Tory conference: http://gu.com/p/3hj3d/tf

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/jul/27/nigel-farage-address-bruge-group?CMP=twt_fd
  • Options
    tim said:

@hendopolis: MAIL ON SUNDAY: Theresa May - my shocking illness #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/Iik4s7ebTt

What a great woman.

• Options
    "Among voters, 41% reported no change in their attitude to the Labour party, while 20% said they were more positive and 34% more negative. Only 18% were more positive about the Tories while 42% regarded them more negatively.

For the Lib Dems just 7% felt more positive about them and 47% more negative."

Opinium Poll / Guardian

• Options
    I'm not a curry eater but it seems a bit of a trek from Hertsmere to find out.
    tim said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

You are safe Hertsmere.

tim's role is navigator. And I am fairly certain he has never ventured anywhere south of Birmingham. Reaching Potters Bar would be beyond his competence,

Not sure you could handle the cutthroat curry.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186378-d4039449-Reviews-The_Potters_Bar-Stoke_on_Trent_Staffordshire_England.html
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    MrJones said:

We could easily stop free movement of Labour from the EU by coming out of the EU.
    By coming out of the EU and the EEA, yes. I'm against doing that. The Tories are against doing that. The difference is that they pretend that there is something they can do anyway. What would we gain by joining the fraud?

I agree with you on exemplary punishment for employers of illegal labour, though.

• Options
    tim said:

@hendopolis: MAIL ON SUNDAY: Theresa May - my shocking illness #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers http://t.co/Iik4s7ebTt

Since it is Type 1, she must have had it for a long time probably since childhood. Why make the disclosure now ?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,869
    We haven't discussed the release of the Lockerbie bomber for a while

Lockerbie bomber release linked to arms deal, according to secret letter

An email sent by the then British ambassador in Tripoli details how a prisoner transfer agreement would be signed once Libya “fulfils its promise” to buy an air defence system.

The disclosure is embarrassing for members of the then Labour government, which always insisted that Abdelbaset al-Megrahi’s release was not linked to commercial deals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10206659/Lockerbie-bomber-release-linked-to-arms-deal-according-to-secret-letter.html

• Options
    surbiton said:

tim said:

Since it is Type 1, she must have had it for a long time probably since childhood. Why make the disclosure now ?
    That's why I said it was interesting downthread. Human story, softer side (she's had some stick for being a bit robotic).
  • Options
    Nice of Mark Senior to be channelling David Ward.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, on the bright side for Labour Bob Ainsworth isn't Shadow Defence Secretary.

Is that post held by Murphy?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

tim said:

Is it bloody politics with you all the time,lets just say she's doing a great job.
  • Options
    @MarkSenior

' Perhaps the next step would be making immigrants walk around with a yellow symbol on their front and back '

The Lib Dem cuckoo symbol?
  • Options
    tim said:

An email sent by the then British ambassador in Tripoli details how a prisoner transfer agreement would be signed once Libya “fulfils its promise” to buy an air defence system.

The disclosure is embarrassing for members of the then Labour government, which always insisted that Abdelbaset al-Megrahi’s release was not linked to commercial deals.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10206659/Lockerbie-bomber-release-linked-to-arms-deal-according-to-secret-letter.html

Anyone assuming that Salmond and Brown colluded to help each other is clinically insane.
    I'm certain you're not the first Labour supporter to use the words Clinically insane and Gordon Brown in the same sentence
  • Options
    Mr Dancer, I liked Bob Ainsworth.

Proper porn tasche as well.
  • Options
    tim said:

Carola is the finest Maywatcher in the world.
    She can tell you what Theresa is going to wear a week on Tuesday before a speech on stop and search.

I haven't seen her in those manly Star Trek-necked jackets in a while. Still businesslike, but more feminine.
  • Options

surbiton said:

tim said:

Is it bloody politics with you all the time,lets just say she's doing a great job.
    Why do you get needled unnecessarily when none is intended ? Have some confidence in yourself.
  • Options

MrJones said:

By coming out of the EU and the EEA, yes. I'm against doing that. The Tories are against doing that. The difference is that they pretend that there is something they can do anyway. What would we gain by joining the fraud?

I agree with you on exemplary punishment for employers of illegal labour, though.

So we could stop it but you are against it. So people saying we could stop it aren't lying. The people saying we can't stop it are lying.

Or, as a compromise the people who say we can stop it without coming out of the EU are lying.
  • Options
    Carola said:

tim said:

She can tell you what Theresa is going to wear a week on Tuesday before a speech on stop and search.

I haven't seen her in those manly Star Trek-necked jackets in a while. Still businesslike, but more feminine.
    It has dawned on me why Cameron wants the porn filter.

He wants an excuse to delete Theresa May from history and end her leadership bid and he's going to use Teresa May as an excuse

(For the innocent, Teresa May is an actress who stars in niche films)
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Did May originate from Burslem?

I already have my suspicions concerning your and Carola de Fenestrata's origins.

May would make it a Troika.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

tim said:

Why do you get needled unnecessarily when none is intended ? Have some confidence in yourself.
    lol

• Options
    Mr. Eagles, just commissioned the cover of my next book. Was torn over the question of whether the bounder should have a moustache or not. Decided against, for the time being, but it's the sort of thing that could be added later, if necessary. [The protagonist is an utter bounder].
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited July 2013
    tim said:

Anyone assuming that Salmond and Brown colluded to help each other is clinically insane.
    While that may be unquestionably true that sure ain't what the story is about.
    It's about 'man of peace' Blair and arms deals.

• Options
    @carola

What do you make of this?

Schools ask parents to stump up £200 for iPads

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/28/ipad-tablet-computer-school-parents?INTCMP=SRCH
  • Options
    surbiton said:

AveryLP said:

It's a guess but i'd expect the shadow economy to be a very large net tax loss.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, just commissioned the cover of my next book. Was torn over the question of whether the bounder should have a moustache or not. Decided against, for the time being, but it's the sort of thing that could be added later, if necessary. [The protagonist is an utter bounder].

Tasches are making a comeback.

• Options
    Bah. I'll never have a moustache. That said, they rather suited Blackadder and Freddie Mercury.
  • Options

Bah. I'll never have a moustache. That said, they rather suited Blackadder and Freddie Mercury.

I wasn't keen on them until I grew one for Movember.
  • Options
    Carola said:

tim said:

May is always smart ! Except for that ludicruos Star Trek jacket.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,683

AveryLP said:

Mark, you seem to have deliberately omitted the word "illegal". What you should have wrote is:

a large poster saying illegal immigrants go home
  • Options
    Anyone got the VI of the Opinium poll ?
  • Options
    I hope so, and hope it's enough.
    I voted for NPxMP for at least one general election more than he deserved thanks to the ghastly Pauline Latham, and quite frankly, I don't believe either he or his party deserve another chance.
    No doubt Ms Soubry is far from perfect either, but both her and her party deserve more time to try and sort out the mess they inherited.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    surbiton said:

Opinium for Observer sees Ukp drop 3
    CON 28 +1
    LAB 39 +1
    LD 8 +2
    UKIP 16 -3
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,036
    surbiton said:

Not necessarily. A friend of mine got type 1 diabetes when she was in her late 30s or early 40s. They're not sure why it started, but the theory is that an autoimmune response to some viral infection knocked out her pancreas.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    What's going to be interesting about the porn filter is that every candidate everywhere is going to be asked whether they've opted in.
  • Options

I voted for NPxMP for at least one general election more than he deserved thanks to the ghastly Pauline Latham, and quite frankly, I don't believe either he or his party deserve another chance.
    No doubt Ms Soubry is far from perfect either, but both her and her party deserve more time to try and sort out the mess they inherited.

I hope Nick gets the nomination and in due time beats Ms. Soubry.

But one thing I would say she is probably the most agreeable Tory MP I can think of save Mr Clarke himself.
  • Options

I hope not! Like a lot of Scots my facial hair grows in ginger which looks a bit daft with my brown hair! Not a good look.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Opinium for Observer sees Ukp drop 3
    CON 28 +1
    LAB 39 +1
    LD 8 +2
    UKIP 16 -3
    So, it is quite clear ! All that talk of Unite and Unions have cost UKIP dearly !
  • Options

I hope not! Like a lot of Scots my facial hair grows in ginger which looks a bit daft with my brown hair! Not a good look.
    Gingers are awesome.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

. Perhaps the next step would be making immigrants walk around with a yellow symbol on their front and back . This could be followed by forcing them all to live in certain clearly defined areas . There is a further stage if that does not force them all to go home voluntarily .

Mark,
    Don't give them ideas

We should be frightened of the socialist when it comes to them idea's.

• Options

surbiton said:

Not necessarily. A friend of mine got type 1 diabetes when she was in her late 30s or early 40s. They're not sure why it started, but the theory is that an autoimmune response to some viral infection knocked out her pancreas.

She probably had it for longer but had not noticed. The viral infection indeed may have indeed made it worse.

Does Theresa May have Scandinavian ancestry by any chance ?
  • Options
    There is something good about Notts CON MPs just as there's something a bit crazy about Northamptonshire ones.

surbiton said:

But one thing I would say she is probably the most agreeable Tory MP I can think of save Mr Clarke himself.
  • Options
    Just go tell that to Harriet Harman - the loathesome ginger hater.

Gingers are awesome.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

There is something good about Notts CON MPs just as there's something a bit crazy about Northamptonshire ones.

surbiton said:

I thought you were a fan of Andrea Leadsom (for being so anti-Osborne). Anyway, I see you've deleted your revolting post: you might ask Senior to do the same.
  • Options

Just go tell that to Harriet Harman - the loathesome ginger hater.

Gingers are awesome.
    I've tried.

I married a ginger, ginger bullying seems acceptable and Harman's attack gave those bullies succour.

• Options

Gingers are awesome.
    I'll give you Billy Bremner (albeit a poor man's Dave MacKay!) and Isla Fisher.
  • Options

What's going to be interesting about the porn filter is that every candidate everywhere is going to be asked whether they've opted in.

I wish Anthony Weiner was a politician over here.

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

He'd fit in well as a LibDem.

• Options

Gingers are awesome.
    I give you Karen Gillan and Christina Hendricks

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    The Crime Survey for England and Wales' results from last week also show continuing large falls in illegal drug use - young people down 15% (from 19.3% to 16.3%) and down 8% (from 8.9% to 8.2%). The methodology is based on a large random anonymous survey - and since it reported at one point 30% of respondents having taken an illegal drug, it is unlikely to be systematically that far from the truth.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/drug-misuse-findings-from-the-2012-to-2013-csew/drug-misuse-findings-from-the-2012-to-2013-crime-survey-for-england-and-wales
  • Options

I wish we still had one of Nick Palmer's predecessors in Broxtowe. The magnificently named Seymour Cocks. I kid you not.
  • Options
    Tim,something for you to laugh at and wish you was there ;-)

https://twitter.com/tamsinchan/status/348497884267819008/photo/1
  • Options

I wish we still had one of Nick Palmer's predecessors in Broxtowe. The magnificently named Seymour Cocks. I kid you not.
    Oh my

• Options
    edited July 2013

@carola

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/jul/28/ipad-tablet-computer-school-parents?INTCMP=SRCH

Yeah there's been a lot of chat in eduland about that article today. (There's a lot more behind it too...). Research doesn't back up the positive ipad spin. Anyway, I use tech as little as possible in lessons, and when I do I make sure there's a tight focus. Imo the use of tech has been a fecking disaster in schools.* Not least for teachers because of all the bloody data it churns out (with all the related pointless soul-destroying admin) to little positive effect.

*of course there's the 'guns don't kill people...' argument. I'm not saying tech itself is the problem.
  • Options

Gingers are awesome.

and the best ginger of them all,stuart McCall ;-) (if you look to the left of my post,you will see a nice photo of him)
  • Options
    Carola said:

@carola

Yeah there's been a lot of chat in eduland about that article today. (There's a lot more behind it too...). Research doesn't back up the positive ipad spin. Anyway, I use tech as little as possible in lessons, and when I do I make sure there's a tight focus. Imo the use of tech has been a fecking disaster in schools.* Not least for teachers because of all the bloody data it churns out (with all the related pointless soul-destroying admin) to little positive effect.

*of course there's the 'guns don't kill people...' argument. I'm not saying tech itself is the problem.
    Thanks for the response.

• Options

Gingers are awesome.

and the best ginger of them all,stuart McCall ;-) (if you look to the left of my post,you will see a nice photo of him)
    But he scored against the mighty Pool in the 89 Cup final

Thanks for The Aussie Liverpool video the other night.

Had gone to bed by the time you posted it.

Was a lovely thing to wake up to on Thursday morning

• Options
    Front pages,the telegraph front cover news subjects looks interesting ;-)

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/82708/the_sunday_telegraph_sunday_28th_july_2013.html
  • Options

Gingers are awesome.

He was a great player - doing a great job at Motherwell now. Shocking, shocking hair cut.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Even going to a school with good teachers, I did find that technology would generally occupy time that distracted from the actual teaching. So I think if thing is going to be more widespread, we're going to have to get better at using/integrating it.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    'Her decision to talk candidly about her condition, which she learned she had last November, stems partly from comments about her two-stone weight loss, which was initially seen by some as preparation for a Conservative leadership campaign.

Part of her weight loss was, in fact, a result of the diabetes. She said: “This was not some great Machiavellian plan.There is no leadership bid.

Mrs May, who is married to Philip, a banker, had begun a new diet and fitness regime before being told she had the condition.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10206822/Theresa-May-I-have-diabetes.html
  • Options
    Got there before you ;-)

• Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Type 1 Diabetes at 50+..Have the Mail got that right?
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I wondered if Theresa May's recent weight loss was linked to the onset of her diabetes when I saw the news earlier tonight.
    Carola said:

'Her decision to talk candidly about her condition, which she learned she had last November, stems partly from comments about her two-stone weight loss, which was initially seen by some as preparation for a Conservative leadership campaign.

Part of her weight loss was, in fact, a result of the diabetes. She said: “This was not some great Machiavellian plan.There is no leadership bid.

Mrs May, who is married to Philip, a banker, had begun a new diet and fitness regime before being told she had the condition.'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10206822/Theresa-May-I-have-diabetes.html

• Options

Gingers are awesome.

Any time mr eagles,bet it made you proud to be a Liverpool fan,not many clubs could pull that sort of support and then sing the Liverpool anthem ;-)

• Options

Gingers are awesome.

Any time mr eagles,bet it made you proud to be a Liverpool fan,not many clubs could pull that sort of support and then sing the Liverpool anthem ;-)

I'm always proud to be a Liverpool fan.

But that was special.
  • Options

Gingers are awesome.
    Get yourself to Ginger Pride:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/ginger-pride-walk-planned-in-edinburgh.21710348

• Options

Gingers are awesome.

He was a great player - doing a great job at Motherwell now. Shocking, shocking hair cut.
    Max,stuart was a great player ,everton let him go to early when he joined rangers,my photo profile is of stuart after he got smacked my one of his own team mates ;-) what a player ;-)
This discussion has been closed.