Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why it might not be wise for UKIP to go too hard on expense

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited November 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why it might not be wise for UKIP to go too hard on expenses and allowances in Oldham

Labour's Oldham Candidate Rakes In £81,598 In Council Allowances https://t.co/Z8C0DIfYCo via guidofawkes

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First!
    Wish I were paid £81,598 a year :(
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    I think it was my point on the last thread about the plaque. It stunned everyone into silence.
  • blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Well I never, an anti UKIP thread
    The Freedom Association has named Kevan Jones MP as Parliamentarian of the Week.
  • weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Obviously Mike is concerned and wants to stop this before it hurts Labour too much.

To be fair, it's anti Labour and anti UKIP. Mike Smithson PB Tory confirmed.
  • weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    The difference between the two facts is that one is 'old news' and one is 'new news'.
    RobD said:

I'm pretty certain MS is not a Tory.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,517
    Off-topic:

The TGV train that crashed in France at the weekend was travelling at 150 MPH, well over the line speed of 110 MPH at that point.

The interim report for those who can red French can be found at:
    http://www.sncf.com/ressources/rapport_denquete_deraillement_rame_dessai_814521_sur_le_raccordement_de_la_lgv_ee_le_14_novembre_2015.pdf

Fast work by the French authorities.
  • Why it might not be wise for UKIP to go too hard on expenses and allowances in Oldham.

Disagree – Oldham has one of the highest council tax rates in the country and a Council leader as the Labour candidate, who rakes in tens of thousands a year extra in expenses for what some would say is his job. – let the good voters of Oldham decide.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited November 2015

Well.. not surprising that the slant might be not as you would wish... votes for UKIP are falling off a cliff. It was inevitable. Dave told us that UKIP was full of closet racists, fruitcakes and loonies....
  • runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Labour is now run by fruitcakes and loonies

RobD said:

I'm pretty certain MS is not a Tory.

Yeah, I was joking... :p
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    edited November 2015

Well.. not surprising that the slant might be not as you would wish... votes for UKIP are falling off a cliff. It was inevitable. Dave told us that UKIP was full of closet racists, fruitcakes and loonies....
    And Labour is full of racists, fruitcakes, loonies and terrorist sympathisers. They are the real nasty party.
    I thought Norway was massively in favour of joining the EU:

https://twitter.com/RedHotSquirrel/status/667250418259488768

If Dave says it then it's true

• MP_SE said:

Only a small number of political types. Everyone else has more sense.
    MP_SE said:

I thought it was always the other way round. The establishment wanted to join, but the people never wanted to.
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2015
    OGH has been going after UKIP for months now. But in the last 6 weeks he's been getting a bit phrenetic.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RobD said:

LOL - anti tory more like.

MP_SE said:

Bit like us

MP_SE said:

Sorry forgot to add sarcasm tags. After 12 hours at work my brain has turned to mush.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    On topic, all parties have had their share of expense problems.

The trick is to paint your opponents as somehow worse then you.
  • OGH - "Since 1999 more people elected as UKIP MEPs have been jailed for expenses fraud than the number of MPs the party has at Westminster."

Isn't the obvious counter to this:

And since 1999 more people elected as Labour MPs have been jailed for expenses fraud than 5x the number of MPs UKIP has at Westminster?

OGH - "Since 1999 more people elected as UKIP MEPs have been jailed for expenses fraud than the number of MPs the party has at Westminster."

Isn't the obvious counter to this:

And since 1999 more people elected as Labour MPs have been jailed for expenses fraud than 5x the number of MPs UKIP has at Westminster?

Nothing any UKIP politician has done comes close to Cyril Smith's crimes.
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    UKIP MEPs must have a great time in Brussels as none of them seemed to want to become MPs at the last election apart from Nigel Farage and Tim Aker.
  • Completely OT. I followed a link to the Independent which had an article on Andrew Neil's excellent and measured attack on IS. I was pleased to see that, in common with almost every other news outlet I have seen the Independent article was supportive of Neil's monologue.

What amazed me was the comments below the line. It was the sort of thing I am used to seeing below the line at the Telegraph or Guido. Certainly not at the Independent. It is like every comment was made by SeanT after a heavy night on the bottle in a third rate Indian B&B.

It makes me wonder if PB is becoming the only place to get a fairly reasonable discourse rather than the sort of rabid diatribes that seem to infect all the other comments sections these days.
  • Mike's posted before that in elections you have to be ruthless and exploit opposition weakness. Were it the Lib Dems challenging Labour, I've little doubt that they wouldn't hesitate to use the attack line. Ukip too have good reason to because although Mike's point in the leader is fair, it's not particularly relevant to the people of Oldham (and Labour too is not without those who've served time inside for expenses fraud: it's hardly a rebuttal without its own comeback).

The question is whether it will have much traction. We were told that McMahon was popular locally and if so, it may not matter that much. However, it's the sort of line that can be very effective. For all that it's not a huge amount in terms of the council budget - there'll be plenty of staff earning more - it's a lot compared with average income in Oldham.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Completely OT. I followed a link to the Independent which had an article on Andrew Neil's excellent and measured attack on IS. I was pleased to see that, in common with almost every other news outlet I have seen the Independent article was supportive of Neil's monologue.

What amazed me was the comments below the line. It was the sort of thing I am used to seeing below the line at the Telegraph or Guido. Certainly not at the Independent. It is like every comment was made by SeanT after a heavy night on the bottle in a third rate Indian B&B.

It makes me wonder if PB is becoming the only place to get a fairly reasonable discourse rather than the sort of rabid diatribes that seem to infect all the other comments sections these days.

You should read twitter/facebook comments of any major politician. They are the only ones that i dont bother reading. David Cameron paid tribute to some child who had lost her fight for cancer, saying a few words about her struggle and what she had meant to people she had touched. The comments were just full of diatribe, foul language and just abusive comments.

There doesnt seem to be any filter to the things people will say. I'm sure these people are just ordinary people living normal lives, and then they just go and type the most unpleasant things imaginable.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    I think house prices/average wages are even lower in Oldham than some parts near me. £81k is alot of money up here, not the amount found down the back of a London sofa.
    notme said:

Completely OT. I followed a link to the Independent which had an article on Andrew Neil's excellent and measured attack on IS. I was pleased to see that, in common with almost every other news outlet I have seen the Independent article was supportive of Neil's monologue.

You should read twitter/facebook comments of any major politician. They are the only ones that i dont bother reading. David Cameron paid tribute to some child who had lost her fight for cancer, saying a few words about her struggle and what she had meant to people she had touched. The comments were just full of diatribe, foul language and just abusive comments.

There doesnt seem to be any filter to the things people will say. I'm sure these people are just ordinary people living normal lives, and then they just go and type the most unpleasant things imaginable.
    And more often than not it is those on the left that engage in such activities. At least through my PB Tory tinted glasses.
  • Artist said:

UKIP MEPs must have a great time in Brussels as none of them seemed to want to become MPs at the last election apart from Nigel Farage and Tim Aker.

You've overlooked the magisterial David Coburn.

'Contesting the constituency of Falkirk, he came fourth of five candidates, losing his deposit with 3% of the vote.'
  • MarfMarf Posts: 20
    Pardon the interruption but in case anybody missed this - John Oliver's rant against Isis .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glxh9ZgP7kc
    RobD said:

notme said:

And more often than not it is those on the left that engage in such activities. At least through my PB Tory tinted glasses.
    I think there maybe a glimmer of truth to that, though both sides can be bad. I think the problem from the left is the sense of virtue, that they are pure and clean, on the side of angels. While conservatives are nothing more than vermin who wish to exterminate the poor.
    notme said:

While conservatives are nothing more than vermin who wish to exterminate the poor.

Alright PB Tories, which one of you spilt the beans on our plan??
  • Artist said:

Pardon?

Of the 22 UKIP MEPs, 17 of them stood as candidates at the General Election.

Artist said:

Pardon?

I suppose it depends on your definition of "seemed to want to".
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

Most comment sections are to drop a single piece of bile in and then leave, for the most part. For discourse they sure ain't.
  • RobD said:

Artist said:

Pardon?

I suspect it more depends on whether someone has bothered to actually do their research or has just made a stupid assumption.
    RobD said:

Artist said:

Pardon?

Did any MEPs from other parties stand?

• Marf said:

Pardon the interruption but in case anybody missed this - John Oliver's rant against Isis .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glxh9ZgP7kc

I do like John Oliver's piece but Neil's was better.

RobD said:

Artist said:

Pardon?

I suspect it more depends on whether someone has bothered to actually do their research or has just made a stupid assumption.
    That too! I suspect it isn't cheap to run as a candidate.

I want UKIP to do well - I hope they rebound. Someone has to become a strong third party, and although it will be hard for UKIP to do it, the LDs aren't looking like doing it again anytime soon.
  • RobD said:

Artist said:

Pardon?

Did any MEPs from other parties stand?

Yep. From both Labour and the Tories. I don't know how many but there was a claim from the EU that they (MEPs) should not have been able to and there was a threat of investigation by OLAF. Not sure it ever came to anything though.

No idea about Lib Dems, SNP or Greens.
    kle4 said:

I want UKIP to do well - I hope they rebound. Someone has to become a strong third party, and although it will be hard for UKIP to do it, the LDs aren't looking like doing it again anytime soon.
    I appreciate your thoughts but I'm not sure they have anything to rebound from, 4m voted ukip and I'd say a similar number flirted. Right or wrong under fptp it's incredibly difficult to make any headway in terms of representation.

The vast majority of ukip supporters are decent people, of course it suits certain agendas to concentrate on the tiny % of nutters when in reality it's no different to other parties.

RobD said:

RobD said:

Artist said:

Pardon?

It's bloody expensive, MEPs have the advantage of combining it with the day job.

kle4 said:

I appreciate your thoughts but I'm not sure they have anything to rebound from, 4m voted ukip and I'd say a similar number flirted. Right or wrong under fptp it's incredibly difficult to make any headway in terms of representation.

The vast majority of ukip supporters are decent people, of course it suits certain agendas to concentrate on the tiny % of nutters when in reality it's no different to other parties.

The LDs didn't do too bad with it in 2005/10. It's a matter of targeting, and the more elections UKIP fight, the better they will become at it.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    kle4 said:

Apart from NOTA the insular and backward looking UKIP has very, very little in common with the LibDems.
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

The LDs didn't do too bad with it in 2005/10. It's a matter of targeting, and the more elections UKIP fight, the better they will become at it.
    Id be very happy to start a thread about ukips GE strategy but offers have fallen on stony ground.

kle4 said:

Apart from NOTA the insular and backward looking UKIP has very, very little in common with the LibDems.
    I'm sure you're right, but that wasn't my concern - I think a strong third party is a good thing, and we currently don't have one (besides the SNP, and who knows how long Scotland will be a part of the UK), so be it the LDs or UKIP it would be a good thing in my view. I doubt I'll start voting UKIP, although it was not easy to vote LD this time around either.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JohnRentoul: This lot seem to think their problem is what people say to the press off the record. https://t.co/sZkEv2nKYi
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    This is not a parody site.

https://twitter.com/JeremyCorbyn4PM/status/667798044700708864?lang=en

It is sad to see Labour pulling itself apart. Corbyn's backers haven't a clue.
    edited November 2015
    dr_spyn said:

htps://twitter.com/JeremyCorbyn4PM/status/667798044700708864?lang=en

Well, it was at least polite and measured in tone. Corbyn would approve of that.
    Hal Cruttenden makes joke about Nigel Farage and refugees on Have I Got News for You. Zero people laugh.
    kle4 said:

dr_spyn said:

htps://twitter.com/JeremyCorbyn4PM/status/667798044700708864?lang=en

Well, it was at least polite and measured in tone. Corbyn would approve of that.
    That said, it is a lot of words to say 'Jeremy called for a new kind of politics...but f--- that, it's on now!'
  • On topic, right now UKIP aren't the story so they can throw stones from their glass houses. Hell, the Conservatives have just had the police called in and nobody cares.
  • corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

RobD said:

RobD said:

Artist said:

Pardon?

It's bloody expensive, MEPs have the advantage of combining it with the day job.

Of course it depends where they stood really, whether in places they thought they might win or not.

Being a serious candidate's hard and expensive enough thing for those with major party backing, for the smaller party it's another thing again.
    @georgeeaton: Labour MP Jamie Reed writes to Corbyn demanding a free vote on Syria - read the letter in full: https://t.co/LT7IMKRa5D
    edited November 2015
    Hmm, Rees-Mogg goes for the low hanging fruit I see:

Comic: Is it a really embarrassing being right wing sometimes?

Rees-Mogg: All I can say to that is: Jeremy Corbyn

Although he did then say he admired his courage.
  • HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

kle4 said:

If someone suggests that we should be looking outwards and not concentrating on Europe you define that as insular. Sorry, Mr. C., but you have lost me with that leap of logic.
    edited November 2015
    Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

Who is offering those odds?
  • Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

Quite extraordinary that the odds on Labour suffering a swing against of no less than 5%, at a by-election with no scandal surrounding it, while in opposition at a time when the government have not had the best of months, are 33/1.
    edited November 2015
    U/O Line at 6 pulled, apologies !

No U/O 5-6 line for the moment
    @TelePolitics: Britain poised for Syria air strikes after Labour revolt against Jeremy Corbyn https://t.co/wm0uqLLw1v

@patrickwintour: Big change in tone - Commons committee may lift objections to UK airstrikes in Syria | Politics | The Guardian https://t.co/bLhSEZ1dZr
  • kle4 said:

That doesn't mean there isn't a significant overlap in the pools of voters that the two parties fish in. The Lib Dems were highly adept at appealing to a wide variety depending on local circumstances.

Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

Quite extraordinary that the odds on Labour suffering a swing against of no less than 5%, at a by-election with no scandal surrounding it, while in opposition at a time when the government have not had the best of months, are 33/1.
    Not really. Assuming that these are bookies' odds then they are a reflection of where the money is going, at best a second order prediction of what might happen.

Years ago at a dinner I sat next to a very wealthy and successful on-course bookmaker. He confessed to me that he knew nothing about horses or horse racing and nor did he care. His only concern was the mathematics of making a winning book by offering odds that ensured for any race he came out on top.
  • RobD said:

notme said:

While conservatives are nothing more than vermin who wish to exterminate the poor.

Alright PB Tories, which one of you spilt the beans on our plan??
    Sgt. Sunil: Alright, sweethearts, you're a team and there's nothin' to worry about. We come here, and we're gonna conquer, and we're gonna kick some, is that understood? That's what we're gonna do, sweethearts, we are going to go and get some. All right, people, on the ready line! Are ya lean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: Are ya mean?

PB Tories: Yeah!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU?

PB Tories: Lean and mean!

Sgt. Sunil: WHAT ARE YOU? RobD! TSE! Get on the ready line, PB Tories, get some today! Get on the ready line! Move it out! Move it out, goddammit! Get hot! One, two, three, four! Get out, get out, get out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! Move it out, move it out, move it out! One, two, three, four, five, six, seven! Aaarrrrr, absolutely badasses! Let's pack 'em in! Get in there!
    The odds are from an impeccable bookie ! I'm acting as his runner.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    HAHAHAHAHAHA.. Matt is a genius..
  • Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

Not really. Assuming that these are bookies' odds then they are a reflection of where the money is going, at best a second order prediction of what might happen.

Years ago at a dinner I sat next to a very wealthy and successful on-course bookmaker. He confessed to me that he knew nothing about horses or horse racing and nor did he care. His only concern was the mathematics of making a winning book by offering odds that ensured for any race he came out on top.
    OK, let me put it another way. Labour is defending a 15000 majority - the scale of which they've lost only once in opposition since WWII (and probably precious few times while in government), and punters give them about a one in four chance of doing precisely that. And this without any particularly exceptional local factors.
    Pulpstar said:

I'll take 33/1 if you'll lay me?
    Scott_P said:

@TelePolitics: Britain poised for Syria air strikes after Labour revolt against Jeremy Corbyn https://t.co/wm0uqLLw1v

@patrickwintour: Big change in tone - Commons committee may lift objections to UK airstrikes in Syria | Politics | The Guardian https://t.co/bLhSEZ1dZr

Oh, dear. I fear that means Cameron is going to drag us into another war without any plan of how it might be won or how we get out of it. Emotion is a very bad basis for foreign policy
  • Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

Um, what's a "U/O Line"? Thanks
    @PickardJE: Labour MP said re Oldham West: “A good proportion of the PLP want to lose: they are looking for the next crisis." https://t.co/LgLXAixp3y
    edited November 2015
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Which 33-1 ?

Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1

Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

OK, let me put it another way. Labour is defending a 15000 majority - the scale of which they've lost only once in opposition since WWII (and probably precious few times while in government), and punters give them about a one in four chance of doing precisely that. And this without any particularly exceptional local factors.
    Fair go, Mr. Herdson, but as has been noted on here very many times, political punters often bet with their hearts not their heads. I really do not think taking bookies' odds as a likely predictor of actual outcome is a very good idea.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

Scott_P said:

Oh, dear. I fear that means Cameron is going to drag us into another war without any plan of how it might be won or how we get out of it. Emotion is a very bad basis for foreign policy
    I'm not sure it's quite that cut and dried - the people who've spoken out against Corbyn in that Telegraph piece are Liz Kendall and Chuka Ummuna.
    Hugo Rifkind has done Jeremy Corbyn's week in The Times
    Wednesday
    I have appointed Ken Livingstone as co-convenor of Labour’s defence review. And I don’t even drink.

Unfortunately, there are calls for him to resign by lunchtime, after my shadow defence minister says it’s a bad appointment, and Ken says he must be depressed and need medical help, and it turns out he was, and did.

“I’m from South London,” says Ken. “We retaliate.”
    “I’m from North London,” I say, “and we don’t.”
    “But you’re just a weird old man in sandals,” says Ken.
    “I respect your position on this,” I say.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4619825.ece
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Which 33-1 ?

Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    25+
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042
    kle4 said:

Sadly I don't think they will. UKIP aren't the force they were - the GE media trashing was too effective.
    Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

Pulpstar said:

Which 33-1 ?

Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    25+

Check yr inbox :)
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited November 2015
    UN resolution against ISIS gets unanimous backing from Security Council....
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/vote-resolution-condemning-islamic-state-attacks-35325923

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure it's quite that cut and dried - the people who've spoken out against Corbyn in that Telegraph piece are Liz Kendall and Chuka Ummuna.
    I admire your optimism. However we are going to war again, Cameron is determined on it. Of course, with George Osborne's defence cuts we probably cannot add to the half a dozen clapped out Tornados that we have bombing Iraq at the moment, which might be a blessing, and we do have his latest set of defence cuts due for publication very soon.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Given the salary for an MP is £74,000 per annum and Mr McMahon earns £81,598 as a councillor (through his role as leader of the Council and chair of the Labour Group on the LGA) perhaps the voters of Oldham will take pity on him and the potential pay cut he may have to face were he to be elected to Parliament and decide to vote UKIP instead!
  • Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

Fair go, Mr. Herdson, but as has been noted on here very many times, political punters often bet with their hearts not their heads. I really do not think taking bookies' odds as a likely predictor of actual outcome is a very good idea.
    That's fair enough but all the same, that there's the consensus of feeling that there must be is of itself indicative of something in the water. Whether that's a misperception or an accurate one remains to be seen.
    The Labour heartlands of Glasgow and Central Scotland have never needed a strong Labour Party more. For eight years they have been deceived by Nationalists who talk Left but walk Right.

Just ask Alex Salmond's former head of policy Alex Bell, who looks at the SNP's mealy mouthed rhetoric, compares it to their record and concludes that Scotland's Government is – and I quote – morally dubious.

On health, on education, on justice the SNP would rather point at the polls than deal with the problems. Scotland can't afford another five years of a government that would rather congratulate itself than explain itself.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14091761.Agenda__SNP_have_become_an_arrogant__complacent_and_headline_grabbing_party_in_government/
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited November 2015
    Mirror reporting terror plot to hijack a British ferry, employing a "dirty bomb"...
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/special-forces-alert-security-chiefs-6870857

Pulpstar said:

Oldham latest odds:

Lab 0-5 15/8
    Lab 5-10 7/4
    Lab 10-15 6/1
    Lab 15-20 16/1
    Lab 20-25 33/1
    25+ 33/1
    Lab Lose 10-3

U/o Line 5/6 Lab 6.

The most fascinating thing about 'markets', it doesnt matter in what, just how quickly a price is established and a value is acquired.
    edited November 2015
    RodCrosby said:

Mirror reporting terror plot to hijack a British ferry, employing a "dirty bomb"...
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/special-forces-alert-security-chiefs-6870857

Stripped of the hype, that is a report of a naval exercise of the type that has been going on to my certain knowledge since the 1980s.

There is no known "dirty bomb" plot and the article that you quite doesn't even say that there is. Merely someone stating the bleedin obvious in that setting off a nuclear device in one of our ports would be very bad.
    @paulwaugh: David Cameron reacts to the historic UN resolution on ISIL https://t.co/JXTSJyrAcU
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2015
    Useless fact: I found myself sitting next to someone on a train today who strongly resembled the leader of the Green Party Natalie Bennett. When I saw the dark green suitcase I realised it actually was her and not just a lookalike.
  • Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

RodCrosby said:

Stripped of the hype, that is a report of a naval exercise of the type that has been going on to my certain knowledge since the 1980s.

There is no known "dirty bomb" plot and the article that you quite doesn't even say that there is. Merely someone stating the bleedin obvious in that setting off a nuclear device in one of our ports would be very bad.
    There is a dirty bomb in 'Goldfinger'.
    Scott_P said:

The Labour heartlands of Glasgow and Central Scotland have never needed a strong Labour Party more. For eight years they have been deceived by Nationalists who talk Left but walk Right.

Just ask Alex Salmond's former head of policy Alex Bell, who looks at the SNP's mealy mouthed rhetoric, compares it to their record and concludes that Scotland's Government is – and I quote – morally dubious.

On health, on education, on justice the SNP would rather point at the polls than deal with the problems. Scotland can't afford another five years of a government that would rather congratulate itself than explain itself.
    http://www.heraldscotland.com/opinion/14091761.Agenda__SNP_have_become_an_arrogant__complacent_and_headline_grabbing_party_in_government/

Well they're getting an SNP government either way, so they had better get used to it.
  • perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Scott_P said:

I admire your optimism. However we are going to war again, Cameron is determined on it. Of course, with George Osborne's defence cuts we probably cannot add to the half a dozen clapped out Tornados that we have bombing Iraq at the moment, which might be a blessing, and we do have his latest set of defence cuts due for publication very soon.
    What defence cuts? The government policy is to maintain 2% of GDP on defence during this parliament.

• AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    One of the problems with Ed Miliband was that he looked too young to be PM for a lot of older voters. Labour may have made the mistake with their by-election candidate for Oldham.
This discussion has been closed.