Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Osborne’s speech: Content strong but his delivery not what

124»

Comments

• PongPong Posts: 4,693
    MaxPB said:

The line for the tax credit cut is very simple, "we're making it pay to work", "we're relinking hours worked with money earned". Labour created this tangled mess of means tested in work benefits and undoing it is not an easy task. Just as they are with the deficit, Labour are acting like both the arsonist and the person who condemns the firemen for taking too long to put out the fire they started.

Labour created this mess now someone else has to fix it. We have a system which pays people to not take on more work and, perversely, actually takes money off people who work between 17-24 hours per week vs 16 hours per week on the minimum wage. The whole working tax credit system is not fit for purpose and needs junking. We need to eliminate in-working benefits, they are a subsidy for companies who don't want to pay employees a fair wage, nothing more and it amazes me that people on the left can't see how perverse it is that the government and tax payer is subsidising these business models which thrive on low wage labour.

So the solution is to give a single mother who works ~15 hours @NMW a massive take home pay cut?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465
    Another opinion pollster crunch in Canada? The rolling phone poll shows a very definite and increasing move from NDP to Liberals. The online polls don't - though there haven't been any for a couple of days - and they also show a better Conservative score. Two weeks to go so it may get clarified.

The parties are currently busy trading in scare stories - beware TTIP, beware the niqab, etc. Unedifying, but seems to be working for the Liberals- perhaps.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_in_the_Canadian_federal_election,_2015
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Simon, the video won't play. Some sort of error.

Mr. Max, you're neglecting the gap between reality and perception (such as the pasty tax). This is already being portrayed as taking money from poor workers.

Mr. T, my sympathies. I've never had such an issue, happily. One hopes you refrain from maiming yourself in the future.
  • flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

They are not getting a kick in the teeth, they are being subsidised by the rest of us, only rather less so. This will cause them to review their circumstances. Either they will decide that work is not worth it or they will work more. That means the employers using them have to find ways of having those hours filled either by paying more or by employing for longer.

But it's an illusion to think that most people in this situation have a choice. Someone working part-time in a shop can't simply decide to put in an extra 5 hours. I know a number of former constituents who have been trying for a long time to increase their hours, but their employers don't feel the additional work will produce enough additional revenue. This doesn't make either the employers wicked or the staff lazy - it's just a fact of business life. Nor are alternative jobs with more opportunities always readily available.

For people in this situation, it is indeed a kick in the teeth.
    Employers exploiting the poorly paid and taking advantage of the fact that the government will step in. Hmm. There may be some hard cases. But there was a time when Labour stood up to exploitative employers not let them off the hook, as DavidL has pointed out.

Palmer is upset at the loss of control of his client state. That's why Brown sprayed money around for 10 years.
  • watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

watford30 said:

MikeK said:

watford30 said:

NATO is demanding Russia immediately halts air strikes in Syria:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-34448942

Line used is on 'civilians and opposition'. After the MSF hospital in Afghanistan, the Russians have a rather easy line to take on glass houses.

Videos of civilian casualties of the Russian bombing were being released literally before the planes took off. The US is being humiliated and its pussy-footing around with ISIS for 13 months exposed. It's truly catastrophic for them, and it looks like they're prepared to risk escalating the conflict to protect their heart eating chums.
    Humiliation will be Russian MiGs literally dropping out of the sky. Those airframes are knackered.
    There are no Russian Migs in Syria, me old cock sparrer!
    Sukhoi, MiG - it's all the same. Still knackered.
    Quite a forensic approach to accuracy there, no wonder you're so well informed on world events.
    From the 'comrade' who thinks the Russians are bombing ISIS.
  • We all remember the time before working tax credit when everyone had a well paid job and no-one received exploitative wages.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    "The next biggest cut comes from the reduction to work allowances in Universal Credit. This
    represents a substantial shift in the design of the UC system. The work allowance is the amount
    that a claimant can earn before benefit starts to be withdrawn. Significant allowances were an
    integral part of the design of UC, intended to give claimants an incentive to move into work. This
    reform will cost about 3 million families an average of £1,000 a year each. It will reduce the
    incentive for the first earner in a family to enter work. The equivalent changes in the current tax
    credit system will have much the same effect. These are changes that will alter the effects and
    structure of the system quite substantially.
    Relative to one alternative policy which would have been simply to reduce the levels of child tax
    credit, the policy the government has chosen will protect those on the lowest incomes, mostly
    those not in work, at the expense of low earners."

http://www.ifs.org.uk/uploads/publications/budgets/Budgets 2015/Summer/opening_remarks.pdf
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,727

A new kinder form of politics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=93&v=YfbmXIi6NNg

Why the hell weren't the Police intervening to prevent this sort of abuse?

Yes, it might appear quite funny to be throwing balls at people - but it isn't. It is unacceptable under any circumstances and when you view it alongside the other intimidation and assaults that have been recorded over the past 2 days, it is a really poisonous atmosphere.

And one that the Police seem unwilling to prevent from escalating.

The police are hoping it escalates - so they can have a ruck with the Tories....
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Freggles said:

MaxPB said:

The line for the tax credit cut is very simple, "we're making it pay to work", "we're relinking hours worked with money earned". Labour created this tangled mess of means tested in work benefits and undoing it is not an easy task. Just as they are with the deficit, Labour are acting like both the arsonist and the person who condemns the firemen for taking too long to put out the fire they started.

Labour created this mess now someone else has to fix it. We have a system which pays people to not take on more work and, perversely, actually takes money off people who work between 17-24 hours per week vs 16 hours per week on the minimum wage. The whole working tax credit system is not fit for purpose and needs junking. We need to eliminate in-working benefits, they are a subsidy for companies who don't want to pay employees a fair wage, nothing more and it amazes me that people on the left can't see how perverse it is that the government and tax payer is subsidising these business models which thrive on low wage labour.

It is perverse, but the answer is not to take the money straight from the pockets of the low paid. Why not increase the minimum wage even further? Isn't it about making work pay?
    The NMW will increase in future years but the proposed increases only make sense in a buoyant employment market. I fear it may already be slowing which will make further increases in real terms more difficult. Still carpe diem.
  • Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

They are not getting a kick in the teeth, they are being subsidised by the rest of us, only rather less so. This will cause them to review their circumstances. Either they will decide that work is not worth it or they will work more. That means the employers using them have to find ways of having those hours filled either by paying more or by employing for longer.

But it's an illusion to think that most people in this situation have a choice. Someone working part-time in a shop can't simply decide to put in an extra 5 hours. I know a number of former constituents who have been trying for a long time to increase their hours, but their employers don't feel the additional work will produce enough additional revenue. This doesn't make either the employers wicked or the staff lazy - it's just a fact of business life. Nor are alternative jobs with more opportunities always readily available.

Employers exploiting the poorly paid and taking advantage of the fact that the government will step in. Hmm. There may be some hard cases. But there was a time when Labour stood up to exploitative employers not let them off the hook, as DavidL has pointed out.

Palmer is upset at the loss of control of his client state. That's why Brown sprayed money around for 10 years.

That's right. It all worked so well before. Everyone had a well paid job, no-one was exploited.

• dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    edited October 2015
    Guido has stuck a photo up on Twitter, where a delegate has been egged, in front of two police constables. I wonder what happened next.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/651068658932948992?lang=en
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    Freggles said:

MaxPB said:

It is perverse, but the answer is not to take the money straight from the pockets of the low paid. Why not increase the minimum wage even further? Isn't it about making work pay?
    Removing the idiotic withdrawal will encourage people to take on more work automatically. The most common scenario where people lose out is someone who works 16 hours per week, that person could increase their hours to compensate. It isn't a life changing proposition. What's more if they now add over 5 hours extra per week they actually will earn more than they would have at 21 hours on the NMW with the old WTC system. Nothing in life is static, to make the assumption that people who lose out will stick to just 16 hours per week is short sighted. Encouraging people to work more hours is a good thing, and the child care changes will help people do it. As a package I would be very, very surprised if there were more than a handful of people who are getting less at the end of the month in 2020 than they are today. As I said below, if they are then they need to look at their own inflexibility and see what they can do to earn more.

We all remember the time before working tax credit when everyone had a well paid job and no-one received exploitative wages.

Wasn't like that up north :-)
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Mr. Simon, the video won't play. Some sort of error.

Mr. Max, you're neglecting the gap between reality and perception (such as the pasty tax). This is already being portrayed as taking money from poor workers.

Mr. T, my sympathies. I've never had such an issue, happily. One hopes you refrain from maiming yourself in the future.

LOL. Apparently my swearing was particularly uninventive, comprising one word repeated many, many times. The location was Tobago Cays, where in the Pirates movie, Kiera Knightley sets fire to Cap'n Sparrow's stash of rum.
    DavidL said:

Looking at some of the footage from CPC15 - I see quite a few grinning policemen/women. Those barriers could be moved much further back. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

Greater Manchester Police are the most left-wing, politically correct in the country, in my opinion (I speak as a Mancunian).

Interesting. I still remember when their then Chief Constable was asked if they had enough resources to cope for the riots and replied they had enough to invade a Central American country. Their robust response to the rioters completely showed up the Met and won a lot of kudos at the time.

Wonder how close Osborne asked them to have the fences? Just a thought.
    It's a pretty wierd thought.
    Pong said:

MaxPB said:

So the solution is to give a single mother who works ~15 hours @NMW a massive take home pay cut?
    The solution is that she can take up the free childcare and increase her hours to near full time on the new higher NMW.
  • JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    dr_spyn said:

Guido has stuck a photo up on Twitter, where a delegate has been egged, in front of two police constables. I wonder what happened next.

Those police officers should be sacked.

We all remember the time before working tax credit when everyone had a well paid job and no-one received exploitative wages.

Before the introduction of the minimum wage and the new higher "living wage", sure. Today the government can force companies to raise wages by edict, which they have done.

DavidL said:

Looking at some of the footage from CPC15 - I see quite a few grinning policemen/women. Those barriers could be moved much further back. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

Greater Manchester Police are the most left-wing, politically correct in the country, in my opinion (I speak as a Mancunian).

Interesting. I still remember when their then Chief Constable was asked if they had enough resources to cope for the riots and replied they had enough to invade a Central American country. Their robust response to the rioters completely showed up the Met and won a lot of kudos at the time.

You think these images are doing Labour any good? That would be a weird thought indeed.

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

That's right. It all worked so well before. Everyone had a well paid job, no-one was exploited.

You asked for a justification of the changes, and we explained them. Unhappy with those answers, but unable to argue against them, you are now just resorting to silly strawman arguments. No-one is claiming that everyone will get a well paid job or that exploitation will never happen. We are just arguing that income will be better than it otherwise will be from continuing the tax credit system unreformed.
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

DavidL said:

Actually, not weird at all. If you are known as the nasty party, and there is a clearly much nastier party (even after its switch to kinder politics), wouldn't you want the contrast to be visible?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Sue ‏@English_Woman 6m6 minutes ago
    More signs the stuttering eurozone is grinding to a halt - Telegraph http://bit.ly/1iZjnXp CAN WE LEAVE NOW PLEASE?
  • richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    If I had been the man being egged..which I consider to be a physical assault... then I would have floored the egger..as an instinctive reaction to the assault on my person...I wonder which one the so called Police would have arrested
  • JEO said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

You asked for a justification of the changes, and we explained them. Unhappy with those answers, but unable to argue against them, you are now just resorting to silly strawman arguments. No-one is claiming that everyone will get a well paid job or that exploitation will never happen. We are just arguing that income will be better than it otherwise will be from continuing the tax credit system unreformed.

No, I am arguing against the idea that Gordon Brown created the tax credit regime because he wanted a client state. He did it because many, many working people struggled to make ends meet. The theory expounded on here - that the market will deliver a living wage - clearly did not actually apply in practice for millions of people.

Brown's solution was clearly not brilliant and did create disincentives. But I don't see the Osborne/IDS solution being much better.

JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

//twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/651068658932948992?lang=en

Indeed.

Thick plods are playing into the hands of politicians, who when the whinging starts about cutting numbers, can point out that many of them aren't doing their job anyway.
  • MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Roland Rudd, the chairman of Business for New Europe and one of the leading figures in the Remain campaign is desperate for the UK to join the Euro.

http://www.standard.co.uk/business/slump-in-sterling-means-we-should-think-again-about-joining-the-euro-6833105.html

So much for maintaining the status quo.
    JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

The police have always been prone to defend the right of the fascistically inclined when they are in a marching mode.

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    I remember when Tory friends in the Countryside alliance raided the Labour conference, disrupted the leader speech and dumped carcasses across Brighton.

Nothing changes.
  • JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

Not sure why they should be arresting someone taking egg shells out of someone else's hair. Maybe I am missing something.

Brown's solution was clearly not brilliant and did create disincentives. But I don't see the Osborne/IDS solution being much better.

So in your view the Osborne/IDS solution isn't much better than Brown's attempt for helping poor workers. Yet it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you can get something with similar results for a fraction of the cost, that should be pursued, shouldn't it?
  • Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    MikeK said:

More signs the stuttering eurozone is grinding to a halt - Telegraph http://bit.ly/1iZjnXp CAN WE LEAVE NOW PLEASE?

It might have escaped your notice, but we never joined.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

A lot of posters on here seem to have forgotten there was an election where significantly more people voted tory than labour. Most of the arguments have been won and - sorry - lost.

TUC bloke yesterday was protesting outside the tory conference had also forgotten this, saying (I paraphrase) he wanted to send a message that the policies put forward by the tories weren't popular.

Define "popular" mate...?

He doesn't agree with the election result and wants you to know it.
  • JEO said:

So in your view the Osborne/IDS solution isn't much better than Brown's attempt for helping poor workers. Yet it is a hell of a lot cheaper.

If you can get something with similar results for a fraction of the cost, that should be pursued, shouldn't it?

You won't get similar results. You'll get worse results. Poor people will be poorer. That is not good for any of us. As we have seen over the years, the cost of poverty is huge.

• richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    SO..Yes you are missing something... but don't worry..we are all used to that..
    Off topic, a couple of friends of mine on Facebook have just been assaulted by protestors and are currently down at the police station in Manchester giving statements.
    Chris_A said:

MikeK said:

It might have escaped your notice, but we never joined.
    Not my twitter mate, but interesting for those that want to stay joined to the EU come what may.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    watford30 said:

JEO said:

dr_spyn said:

//twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/651068658932948992?lang=en

Indeed.

Thick plods are playing into the hands of politicians, who when the whinging starts about cutting numbers, can point out that many of them aren't doing their job anyway.
    Didn't May pretty much say as much when she last spoke to the Police Federation?

JEO said:

You won't get similar results. You'll get worse results. Poor people will be poorer. That is not good for any of us. As we have seen over the years, the cost of poverty is huge.

They won't be poorer. The market wage rate will go up to compensate.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

JEO said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

No, I am arguing against the idea that Gordon Brown created the tax credit regime because he wanted a client state. He did it because many, many working people struggled to make ends meet. The theory expounded on here - that the market will deliver a living wage - clearly did not actually apply in practice for millions of people.

If people are struggling to make ends meet you enact policies which do not take more money out of their wages but rather reduce their taxes so that they have more of their own money to live on in the first place. You do something to break up the monopolies and cartels that are in a position to charge higher prices. You ensure that they have the skills necessary to earn more rather than import millions of people who will depress wages at the bottom end. You can mandate the Living Wage. You can build houses so that people are living closer to their work and not having to pay huge sums to live in inadequate housing.

The least sensible thing to do is to take money from people who are already struggling then spend a proportion on bureaucracy then give some of it back. Unless of course you have an eye on the fact that those people may feel grateful to the government for this generosity and, of course, there are all the people employed on the scheme.

Brown's intentions may have been honourable - let's give him the benefit of the doubt for the moment - but he simply could not conceive of any solution which did not have the state doling out money to grateful recipients. His was just a socialist version of a Victorian Lady Bountiful dropping pennies into the hat of the poor man, doffing his cap and thanking her for her kindness.

Now we have his successors spitting at those who say that it might be better all round to give the beggar the chance of a properly paid job and telling Lady Muck to put her pennies away.

I do not give Brown the benefit of the doubt BTW. You'd have to be very trusting not to think that voters' gratitude - and votes - is exactly what he had in mind in the way he designed the system. It's what all politicians - Osborne included - do.

• JEO said:

JEO said:

Yes, we saw how that worked so well in the past.

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    edited October 2015
    Evil Tory plastic carrier bag tax! :lol:
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    edited October 2015
    JEO said:

JEO said:

Not if you keep importing people it wont

see supply and demand.

JEO said:

JEO said:

However they spin it, the poor get poorer while the rich get richer.
    Jonathan said:

I remember when Tory friends in the Countryside alliance raided the Labour conference, disrupted the leader speech and dumped carcasses across Brighton.

Nothing changes.

Desperate whattaboutism. Show me evidence of the same level of aggression, violence, intimidation and assault please? Shouting "scum" and giving the middle-finger to everyone, including journalists and apolitical people just trying to do their job?

You might as well use Fathers for Justice as a comparator.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    Jonathan said:

JEO said:

JEO said:

However they spin it, the poor get poorer while the rich get richer.
    I thought you voted for people who were comfortable getting filty rich ?
    Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 8h8 hours ago
    Nicky Morgan: I Would Never Campaign to Leave EU http://order-order.com/2015/10/05/nicky-morgan-i-would-never-campaign-to-leave-eu/

Well, well. What a surprise. Not.
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Jonathan said:

Nothing changes.

Maybe.... but they didnt spit at or beat up or verbally abuse people as scum. The left are in a league if their own with that sort of behaviour .
    edited October 2015
    Typically inept Telegraph article. The premise is that a fall from 54.3 to 53.6 in the PMI when any number over 50 indicates expansion is somehow meaningful. It then speculates that the reduction in fuel costs may be fading before showing a chart which shows they are continuing and have reduced inflation to -0.1%.

It is just illiterate because the agenda is anti EU and it appears to have worked. We can only hope the quality of debate on both sides is going to be better than this.
    edited October 2015

Jonathan said:

Nothing changes.

Desperate whattaboutism. Show me evidence of the same level of aggression, violence, intimidation and assault please? Shouting "scum" and giving the middle-finger to everyone, including journalists and apolitical people just trying to do their job?

It was very similar, agressive and intimidating. I can't remember spitting, but there were eggs and violence. The carcasses were disgusting and the invasion of the conference hall was genuinely frightening coming as it did 3 years after 9/11 and during the height of Iraq.

MikeK said:

Guido Fawkes ‏@GuidoFawkes 8h8 hours ago
    Nicky Morgan: I Would Never Campaign to Leave EU http://order-order.com/2015/10/05/nicky-morgan-i-would-never-campaign-to-leave-eu/

Well, well. What a surprise. Not.

I'm not sure I trust any of the leading contenders for leadership of the party on the EU. Not Osborne, May or Morgan - Boris I won't trust or believe. His position will be based on pure political calculation.

Shame, as this will be crucial to me determining my vote. And I really don't want to be left with a choice of Patterson or Fox.
    edited October 2015
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing changes.

It was very similar, agressive and intimidating. I can't remember spitting, but there were eggs and violence. The carcasses were disgusting and the invasion of the conference hall was genuinely frightening coming as it did 3 years after 9/11 and during the height of Iraq.

Absolute and total bollocks. Do you even believe the crap you're writing?

This is your inner red partisan coming out - incidentally, that's the worst part of you as when you keep it at bay your posts are highly readable.

I suspect deep down you are equally repelled and disgusted by the behaviour of these far-left anarchist yobs, but they're nominally of the Left and being critiqued by Tories so you just can't help yourself in trying to muddy the waters.
  • NEW THREAD
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing changes.

...the invasion of the conference hall was genuinely frightening coming as it did 3 years after 9/11 and during the height of Iraq.

What a delicate little flower. A Labour lead government were pouring bombs and cruise missiles into Iraq, and you were getting teary eyed and wobbly kneed about some tweed clad protestors in the conference hall.
    More news on Russia's Middle East Gambit:

http://www.debka.com/article/24926/Chinese-warplanes-to-join-Russian-air-strikes-in-Syria-Russia-gains-Iraqi-air-base

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 2m2 minutes ago
    #BREAKING Russian air force says hit '10 Islamic State targets' in Syria Monday
    edited October 2015

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Nothing changes.

Absolute and total bollocks. Do you even believe the crap you're writing?

This is your inner red partisan coming out - incidentally, that's the worst part of you as when you keep it at bay your posts are highly readable.

I suspect deep down you are equally repelled and disgusted by the behaviour of these far-left anarchist yobs, but they're nominally of the Left and being critiqued by Tories so you just can't help yourself in trying to muddy the waters.
    Were you at Brighton? What did you see?
    DavidL said:

Typically inept Telegraph article. The premise is that a fall from 54.3 to 53.6 in the PMI when any number over 50 indicates expansion is somehow meaningful. It then speculates that the reduction in fuel costs may be fading before showing a chart which shows they are continuing and have reduced inflation to -0.1%.

It is just illiterate because the agenda is anti EU and it appears to have worked. We can only hope the quality of debate on both sides is going to be better than this.

Telegraph has long been pathetic.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2015
    DavidL said:

Typical Tory Scum SNP, helping the poor rich along:

....since 2011 the proportion of students from state schools entering Scotland’s elite universities has fallen. And while the proportion of university students from non-professional backgrounds has risen by just 0.2 percentage points, to 26.8%, in England it has gone up from 30.9% to 33.1%.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21670045-scrapping-tuition-fees-has-helped-rich-students-expense-poor-ones-costly-promise

My younger daughter started Law at Edinburgh a few weeks ago. She said it was very much like being at Dundee High, totally dominated by those from a private school background. Some of the arts courses are not like that but the high tariff ones are. It was not like that in Dundee 35 years ago. The private school kids were a very small minority.

How social mobility is helped by allowing these children of professionals enter their well paid careers without debt is simply beyond me. The price is paid in the number of places the Scottish Government can fund. And guess who loses out there?
    Edinburgh has always been second only to St Andrew as the domain of poshos. Glasgow and Dundee are where normal people go to University.

Both my parents went to boarding schools - they both went to Edinburgh for University.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    MikeK said:

More news on Russia's Middle East Gambit:

http://www.debka.com/article/24926/Chinese-warplanes-to-join-Russian-air-strikes-in-Syria-Russia-gains-Iraqi-air-base

Agence France-Presse ‏@AFP 2m2 minutes ago
    #BREAKING Russian air force says hit '10 Islamic State targets' in Syria Monday

I like Debka. I sometimes try to read between the lines (as I do with all my news sources) though, as I find them (naturally) quite partisan. They were dead right on Russia's military build up very early on.