Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling for the New Statesman shows the huge bet

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited September 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New YouGov polling for the New Statesman shows the huge between Corbyn supporters and the voters LAB needs to attract

Peter Kellner has an analysis in tomorrow’s New Statesman which includes the polling featured above on the attitude on a range of matters by Corbyn supporters, current firm and weak LAB voters, and the target groups that the party needs to bring on board at a general election.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Well should keep us off pigs for about 2 minutes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,991
    Second!
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,846
    For *any* party, the views of the party members are going to be more extreme than the views of the people who are considering voting for that party but not currently doing so. Isn't that a necessity?

So the question is... how do these figures compare with Osborne supporters and Tory weak voters, or Farron supporters and LDem potentials?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,007
    This does put the Tory-lite section of the Labour party in a bit of a tiswas
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2015
    FPT:

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 3 mins3 minutes ago

If mandatory reselection goes through it will send signal even Tom Watson can't mitigate Corbynite excesses, and that will be a big deal...

I am sure that loyal, hard-working MPs will see this as nothing more than a rubber stamping exercise.
    The idea from some of these Labour MPs that they have a divine right to remain an MP forevermore without any accountability to activists is baffling.

I didn't even vote for Corbyn, but I would want my MP to be deselected if he started routinely voting with the Tories on things like Syria, welfare, etc.
  • Options
    How lol too interrupt the Farron thread so early!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

For *any* party, the views of the party members are going to be more extreme than the views of the people who are considering voting for that party but not currently doing so. Isn't that a necessity?

So the question is... how do these figures compare with Osborne supporters and Tory weak voters, or Farron supporters and LDem potentials?

Most likely, Corbyn voting pbtories are the exception that proves the rule I think.
  • Options
    New YouGov polling for the New Statesman shows the huge between Corbyn supporters and the voters LAB needs to attract

the huge WHAT? o_O
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,994
    edited September 2015
    Apologies for going off-topic straight away, but I do need to respond to Hurst Llama.

"Sean_F said:

Following on from my last post, quite a lot of seats have moved Leftwards since 1992. The Conservatives have lost 10 seats in Scotland. Edmonton, Ilford North and South, Enfield North, Croydon North, Mitcham & Morden, Ealing Acton, Brentford & Isleworth, Hayes & Harlington, Harrow West, Brent North, Westminster North, Eltham, Chorley, Lancashire West, Leeds NE and NW, Sheffield Hallam, Bristol West, Chester, Bury South, Bolton NE, Birmingham Edgbaston, Hall Green, Yardley, Brighton Pavilion, Hove, Lancaster & Fleetwood, Dewsbury, Luton North & South, Slough, Southampton Test, Gedling, Exeter, Tynemouth, Wirral South, Wirral West, Blackpool South, Southport, Crosby, Middlesborough South, Wolverhampton SW have all gone, some beyond recovery. That's 53 seats.

In addition, seats like Croydon Central, Brighton Kemptown, Enfield Southgate, Harrow East, Chipping Barnet, Hendon, Finchley & Golders Green are much more marginal than they used to be.

So, how are the Conservatives only down 5 seats on 1992? They've won a handful that were held by the Lib Dems and Labour, but mostly their gains are driven by population increase in Conservative-voting areas creating new constituencies, while population falls (or stagnation) are cutting the numbers of seats in left-wing areas."

Hurst Llama replied:-

"Is that the same as saying that seats are changing hands because of population movements rather than existing populations changing their minds about who they prefer? If so you need to be careful about about posting stuff like that on here because it comes close to saying *looks around to see who is listening and then whispers*, "white flight"

That's a factor. But there are others. A very big increase in the student/university worker population in some seats; continued drift leftwards in Scotland, Merseyside, and the urban North. Continued leftward drift among middle class voters in Greater London and core cities.

On the plus side for the Conservatives, rapid economic growth in prosperous areas fuels growth in their electorates, and in due course, growth in the number of constituencies. There is an ongoing shift of population into Conservative-voting districts from Labour-voting districts. Presumably, those who move are disproportionately right wing.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

If mandatory reselection goes through it will send signal even Tom Watson can't mitigate Corbynite excesses, and that will be a big deal...

I am sure that loyal, hard-working MPs will see this as nothing more than a rubber stamping exercise.
    The idea from some of these Labour MPs that they have a divine right to remain an MP forevermore without any accountability to activists is baffling.

I didn't even vote for Corbyn, but I would want my MP to be deselected if he started routinely voting with the Tories on things like Syria, welfare, etc.
    Is mandatory reselection back on the cards now? Thought it had been ruled out...
  • Options

How lol too interrupt the Farron thread so early!

There was a Farron thread? Why, did he do something?
  • Options
    Winterkorn's done an Ed Miliband.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34340997
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Is mandatory reselection back on the cards now? Thought it had been ruled out...
    A u-turn? Andy Burnham's influence knows no bounds ;)
  • Options
    I don't agree with "tax everyone else more". I would agree with "tax those with high earnings and/or high wealth and companies making high profits more". Otherwise, I'm a full-on Jezlamist.
  • Options
    Labour now has an activist base and a leader that is totally at odds with the majority of its MPs and voters. Something has got to give.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

FPT:

It looks as though Corbyn's doing a will-of-the-people act. He's personally against the move (of course, and you'd gave to be a baby-eating Tory to suggest otherwise), but if it's agreed at conference he'll stand by that decision and it'll become party policy.

Which is a very odd form of leadership. I wonder if he'll even go on stage and argue against it?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Possibly, but all I can find is stuff saying it had been ruled out (can't find anything after the leadership election)
    Gladly be put right if somebody can post a link.
  • Options

I don't agree with "tax everyone else more". I would agree with "tax those with high earnings and/or high wealth and companies making high profits more". Otherwise, I'm a full-on Jezlamist.

more than what? You? Some arbitrary line on a graph? Percentage of median earning?
    Tax to what level? 50%, 60%? 100%?

Details, details, details.
  • Options

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Possibly, but all I can find is stuff saying it had been ruled out (can't find anything after the leadership election)
    Gladly be put right if somebody can post a link.
    On Guido's blog (bear with me here), there is a quite saying he'll accept it if the membership vote for it.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    You'd like less choice where you shop?

• Options

Danny565 said:

FPT:

It looks as though Corbyn's doing a will-of-the-people act. He's personally against the move (of course, and you'd gave to be a baby-eating Tory to suggest otherwise), but if it's agreed at conference he'll stand by that decision and it'll become party policy.

Which is a very odd form of leadership. I wonder if he'll even go on stage and argue against it?
    On Trident, he seems to be hoping to be sent naked out of the conference chamber.
  • Options

Well should keep us off pigs for about 2 minutes.

"Je suis Peppa!" :lol:

https://twitter.com/The45Storm/status/646292469223657472
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    I guess most Jezlamists would see this data and argue that the soft left has just not been converted yet because no-one's made the argument to them.
  • Options
    The George Osborne question is a real killer. Forget the Corbynista response (you'd expect them to favour their man), but look at the current and potential Labour voters. Substantially less than half of the sample think Corbyn would make a better PM than Osborne.
  • Options

RobD said:

On Guido's blog (bear with me here), there is a quite saying he'll accept it if the membership vote for it.

Thanks!

• Options
    And they'd be right - the moderate Left are doing a piss-poor job of arguing their case against The Peoples' Stick.
    JEO said:

I guess most Jezlamists would see this data and argue that the soft left has just not been converted yet because no-one's made the argument to them.

• Options
    Just backed Scotland to win the world cup at 130-1...

• Options
    JEO said:

From another site that I visit, two responses to the table above were as follows:

"for about the 100th time, the focus of politics should be persuasion and convincing the undecided, not just upping sticks and shifting your principles towards current vogues or norms.

Corbyn supporters think he would be a better PM than Osborne. No shit! But this means it is up to Corbyn to persuade the uncertain and the opposed, not that we all shrug our shoulders and revert to the status quo with a meek sigh."

and

"The Labour party shouldn't be some fucking wine-waiter, offering a menu to the electorate and eagerly offering to deliver unto them that which they walked in to the room with a desire for.

Our job is to change peoples' minds, challenge the existing narrative, offer people hope that they can have something to look forward to other than poverty, and a dwindling supply of opportunity. Remember "Things Can Only Get Better"? Right now, what the majority of the PLP are offering is "Things Can Only Get Slightly Less-Worse". And they wonder why the party membership has turned on them?"

You have to admire their dauntless optimism.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

arf
  • Options

Ten types of overpriced tat is still overpriced tat. An energy cartel isn't competition. Five different vans all delivering parcels to the same business park isn't efficient.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    edited September 2015

The George Osborne question is a real killer. Forget the Corbynista response (you'd expect them to favour their man), but look at the current and potential Labour voters. Substantially less than half of the sample think Corbyn would make a better PM than Osborne.

What does that tell us ?

It says a Lada is not as preferable as a Volkswagen Diesel.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Apologies for going off-topic straight away, but I do need to respond to Hurst Llama.

"Sean_F said:

Following on from my last post, quite a lot of seats have moved Leftwards since 1992. The Conservatives have lost 10 seats in Scotland. Edmonton, Ilford North and South, Enfield North, Croydon North, Mitcham & Morden, Ealing Acton, Brentford & Isleworth, Hayes & Harlington, Harrow West, Brent North, Westminster North, Eltham, Chorley, Lancashire West, Leeds NE and NW, Sheffield Hallam, Bristol West, Chester, Bury South, Bolton NE, Birmingham Edgbaston, Hall Green, Yardley, Brighton Pavilion, Hove, Lancaster & Fleetwood, Dewsbury, Luton North & South, Slough, Southampton Test, Gedling, Exeter, Tynemouth, Wirral South, Wirral West, Blackpool South, Southport, Crosby, Middlesborough South, Wolverhampton SW have all gone, some beyond recovery. That's 53 seats.

In addition, seats like Croydon Central, Brighton Kemptown, Enfield Southgate, Harrow East, Chipping Barnet, Hendon, Finchley & Golders Green are much more marginal than they used to be.

So, how are the Conservatives only down 5 seats on 1992? They've won a handful that were held by the Lib Dems and Labour, but mostly their gains are driven by population increase in Conservative-voting areas creating new constituencies, while population falls (or stagnation) are cutting the numbers of seats in left-wing areas."

"Is that the same as saying that seats are changing hands because of population movements rather than existing populations changing their minds about who they prefer? If so you need to be careful about about posting stuff like that on here because it comes close to saying *looks around to see who is listening and then whispers*, "white flight"

That's a factor. But there are others. A very big increase in the student/university worker population in some seats; continued drift leftwards in Scotland, Merseyside, and the urban North. Continued leftward drift among middle class voters in Greater London and core cities.

On the plus side for the Conservatives, rapid economic growth in prosperous areas fuels growth in their electorates, and in due course, growth in the number of constituencies. There is an ongoing shift of population into Conservative-voting districts from Labour-voting districts. Presumably, those who move are disproportionately right wing.

I think there are some seats that have definitely trended to Con e.g. Kingswood and Sherwood. There are also areas like NE Wales and the Potteries where Lab is losing votes to UKIP, which may help Con come through the middle of the trend continues
  • Options

Ten types of overpriced tat is still overpriced tat. An energy cartel isn't competition. Five different vans all delivering parcels to the same business park isn't efficient.
    Scary - you actually believe that?
  • Options

RobD said:

Thanks!

Of course, I meant "quote". Fat finger syndrome.
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: Corbyn says Labour MPs will be forced to compete for reselection if Conference approves it. Countdown to the #purge. http://t.co/Yn1qTjdidZ

Mandatory reselection is merely democracy in action. It should be the standard situation in all political parties. That it is not present in either the Labour or Tory parties is a disgrace.
  • Options

Don't bother, there really is no helping some people.
  • Options

Employs five times as many people though.
  • Options
    Being a Corbynite is fine as long as you accept that with him as leader Labour can't win a general election, not enough people share his views.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

@OliverCooper: Corbyn says Labour MPs will be forced to compete for reselection if Conference approves it. Countdown to the #purge. http://t.co/Yn1qTjdidZ

Mandatory reselection is merely democracy in action. It should be the standard situation in all political parties. That it is not present in either the Labour or Tory parties is a disgrace.
    it's a farce is what it is.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Being a Corbynite is fine as long as you accept that with him as leader Labour can't win a general election, not enough people share his views.

And when they lose, they will still moan the system is somehow rigged against them.
  • Options

So you think it IS efficient to have five different vans all delivering parcels to the same place, and that a cartel provides competition? I agree that 'tat' is a subjective description.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Might explain the UK's lousy productivity then!
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    We need to 'raise awareness' of Premier League football in China apparently...

https://twitter.com/tommctague/status/646708496138924032
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Most people vote for a party most of the time. Sometimes local issues might be in play but the idea they vote for an individual is a complete fantasy of the democracy deniers in their ridiculous attempts to defend FPTP.

As people vote for a party, reselection should always take place to ensure the candidate reflects the parties views.

And the best part, if this analysis is wrong and the voters do vote for individuals, then a deselected candidate can just stand without the party label and by the democracy deniers logic, they would still win the seat.
  • Options

You realise that "Don't Knows" are not included, right?

Just the other day, favourability ratings of the whole public put Corbyn and Osborne neck-and-neck.
  • Options
    I am sure the Labour Party could devise some form of Zero Hours contracts for their MPs...if it didn't like what the MP did or said then they can get another one next week..
  • Options

The problem was, we wouldn't win an election with any of the other three. Hence the nuclear option.
  • Options

So you think it IS efficient to have five different vans all delivering parcels to the same place (snip)
    If the pickups are from different places, then yes. It's the old airline point-to-point versus hub-and-spoke argument. It can also be much more responsive to customers' needs.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

RobD said:

Might explain the UK's lousy productivity then!
    So you'd be happy to slash job opportunities for hard working Britons? :D
  • Options
    edited September 2015

And they'd be right - the moderate Left are doing a piss-poor job of arguing their case against The Peoples' Stick.

JEO said:

The intellectual bankruptcy of the Blairites is that they have given up on working hard on improving things from the nation's grass roots. They just want to persuade the chattering classes not to let in other view points and then for the reforms they want to have to be imposed from above by the European Union. I agree with the policy positions of the Blairites more than the Jezlamists, but I respect the Jezlamists more.
  • Options

The problem was, we wouldn't win an election with any of the other three. Hence the nuclear option.
    Kendall might well have been able to appeal to far more people than Kendall. Unfortunately, apparently she's a witch.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Most people vote for a party most of the time. Sometimes local issues might be in play but the idea they vote for an individual is a complete fantasy of the democracy deniers in their ridiculous attempts to defend FPTP.

As people vote for a party, reselection should always take place to ensure the candidate reflects the parties views.

And the best part, if this analysis is wrong and the voters do vote for individuals, then a deselected candidate can just stand without the party label and by the democracy deniers logic, they would still win the seat.
    Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...
  • Options
    edited September 2015

Labour now has an activist base and a leader that is totally at odds with the majority of its MPs and voters. Something has got to give.

The obvious answer is to get rid of the traitorous pig dogging MPs.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2015

So you think it IS efficient to have five different vans all delivering parcels to the same place,

Bloody hell! Of course it is. You're not seriously suggesting that a state-controlled delivery service would be more efficient than what we have - which is quite staggeringly efficient - are you?

Blimey. Blimey. Have you not ordered anything recently? Distribution networks are almost magical in their efficiency, to the extent that you can order something in the evening and it often arrives the next day even with the standard delivery option. And they are so extraordinarily cheap that suppliers often include free delivery. If you wanted to cite an example of how competition improves service and drives down costs, you could hardly find a more clear-cut example than this.
  • Options

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...
    Yeah. What a way to stamp out any form of individualism and dissent from a party.
  • Options
    YOU WILL CONFORM.
    RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...
    Yeah. What a way to stamp out any form of individualism and dissent from a party.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...
    Staggering isn't it? And all done under the banner of democracy!
    Laughable
    Yet also frustratingly, maddeningly happening here with nobody seeming to care.
  • Options
    isam said:

Was the Hinkley point bung not enough !?

Looks like the Chinese have seen George coming from a mile off.
  • Options
    l suppose we should be grateful for YouGov and their sponsor but it (ie ''Those who came to LAB to election the new leader have a very different view of the world'') is hardly a surprise.
  • Options

Kendall might well have been able to appeal to far more people than Kendall. Unfortunately, apparently she's a witch.
    Kendall had the baggage of Blairism without the charisma of Blair. The reverse proposition would have made a stronger candidate, but it looks like none of our lot have that to offer.
  • Options

The Newsnight focus group of swing voters rated Kendall as being worse than Corbyn, though.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,230
    Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Democracy in action is the electorate in the constituency voting resulting in the election of that MP. You seem to wish to substitute the views of a small number of people within the party for the views of the far larger number of actual voters. Some might consider that a tad contemptuous of voters.

All these arguments and fights were had in the 1980's and very enjoyable they were too for those watching. Less so for the Labour party, I think.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,405

So you think it IS efficient to have five different vans all delivering parcels to the same place, and that a cartel provides competition? I agree that 'tat' is a subjective description.
    Cartel's are very rare, although of course they do exist.

And if you looked in the yellow pages (do they still exist?) you would see 50 different courier companies seeking your custom to deliver parcels to the same place.

But really, as others have noted, if you are unable to see the mechanics behind having many courier companies in competition with each other then there is probably not enough bandwith on PB.com to educate you otherwise.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Corbyn, pigs, yada yada

The new novel is "The Osbourne Ascendency"

Oh... and for those who like cars, I am starting to wonder if Volkswagen and Volkswagen dealerships will survive much longer. A sniff of Ratner in the air methinks (or is it excess emissions?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11883357/vw-scandal-petrol-car-risk.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

What do you expect the effective odds will be if you cash out after the group (should Scotland manage to top the group) before they get spanked in the Quarters?
  • Options

Kendall had the baggage of Blairism without the charisma of Blair. The reverse proposition would have made a stronger candidate, but it looks like none of our lot have that to offer.
    I'm not sure I agree on that. She was hardly given a chance before Labour's assorted fruitcakes, sexists and loons started on her.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

The Newsnight focus group of swing voters rated Kendall as being worse than Corbyn, though.
    See my earlier reply.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    edited September 2015

Corbyn, pigs, yada yada

Oh... and for those who like cars, I am starting to wonder if Volkswagen and Volkswagen dealerships will survive much longer. A sniff of Ratner in the air methinks (or is it excess emissions?)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11883357/vw-scandal-petrol-car-risk.html

Not Ratner... their products (with some exceptions) were crap.

Nobody is saying that the VW Golf etc are suddenly shit.
  • Options

I'm not sure I agree on that. She was hardly given a chance before Labour's assorted fruitcakes, sexists and loons started on her.
    I saw her in the flesh at the hustings. Just an empty persona.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

"Sean_F said:

I think there are some seats that have definitely trended to Con e.g. Kingswood and Sherwood. There are also areas like NE Wales and the Potteries where Lab is losing votes to UKIP, which may help Con come through the middle of the trend continues
    Wales has been shifting rightwards ever so slightly, at most elections since 1970. For a long time, Labour's position in Wales was so strong that this didn't matter, but now it is starting to cost Labour seats. You're certainly correct about seats like Kingswood and Sherwood, but these were won narrowly by the Conservatives in 1992. But, they now look safer.

There's a very good paper here from Lewis Baston. His conclusion that much of the Midlands is starting to vote like the South (the Conservatives did better in both East and West Midlands than in 1992, and far better outside Birmingham, Nottingham, and Leicester). The good news for Labour is that parts of the South are starting to vote like Greater London (eg Brighton, Hove, Exeter). The big political divide, as he points out, is between London and core cities vs small cities/big towns/rural areas. He finds that levels of car ownership are a significant factor in political allegiances.

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/content/uploads/2015/09/Is-‘southern-discomfort’-spreading.pdf
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Cyclefree said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Democracy in action is the electorate in the constituency voting resulting in the election of that MP. You seem to wish to substitute the views of a small number of people within the party for the views of the far larger number of actual voters. Some might consider that a tad contemptuous of voters.

All these arguments and fights were had in the 1980's and very enjoyable they were too for those watching. Less so for the Labour party, I think.

As Dair says, it is not contemptuous of the general electorate - any deselected MP is free to put themselves forward for re-election as an independent.

But standing under a party banner (and thereby benefitting from the hard work that activists do and money they pay to make sure that party banner has any currency) is a privilege, not a right.
  • Options

That article is pure speculation dressed up as news. We'll have to wait and see what the real position is. What we know already is bad enough, of course.
  • Options

Really? I think you doth protest too much.
  • Options
    Dair said:

Pulpstar said:

What do you expect the effective odds will be if you cash out after the group (should Scotland manage to top the group) before they get spanked in the Quarters?
    75-1, something like that ?

Maybe 100-1 if they finish 2nd (Which I think they'll manage).

Not enough liquidity in the group market hence the bet.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...
    That's not what people are voting for.

People vote for a party and they should (quite rightly) expect their parties candidates to be willing to tow the party line.

If you want people to vote for individualism and dissent then start a party based on that.
  • Options

Corbyn, pigs, yada yada

True, but if you had £10+K in your pocket, would YOU buy a new Volkswagen tomorrow? Cash flow interruptions can kill businesses
  • Options
    Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...

People vote for a party and they should (quite rightly) expect their parties candidates to be willing to tow the party line.

If you want people to vote for individualism and dissent then start a party based on that.
    Is that true? I thought a personal vote was a real effect.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

"Sean_F said:

Wales has been shifting rightwards ever so slightly, at most elections since 1970. For a long time, Labour's position in Wales was so strong that this didn't matter, but now it is starting to cost Labour seats. You're certainly correct about seats like Kingswood and Sherwood, but these were won narrowly by the Conservatives in 1992. But, they now look safer.

There's a very good paper here from Lewis Baston. His conclusion that much of the Midlands is starting to vote like the South (the Conservatives did better in both East and West Midlands than in 1992, and far better outside Birmingham, Nottingham, and Leicester). The good news for Labour is that parts of the South are starting to vote like Greater London (eg Brighton, Hove, Exeter). The big political divide, as he points out, is between London and core cities vs small cities/big towns/rural areas. He finds that levels of car ownership are a significant factor in political allegiances.

http://www.progressonline.org.uk/content/uploads/2015/09/Is-‘southern-discomfort’-spreading.pdf
    I should add that Jeremy Corbyn is the ideal leader to ensure that more of the Midlands votes like the South, while less of the South votes like Greater London.
  • Options
    Off topic: I expect Winterkorn will avoid holidaying in the US any time soon.
  • Options

Do you think Jezza is charismatic?

Policies aside, I always thought Kendall came across as the best of the four candidates. She seemed like a warm, pleasant lady.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

JEO said:

From another site that I visit, two responses to the table above were as follows:

"for about the 100th time, the focus of politics should be persuasion and convincing the undecided, not just upping sticks and shifting your principles towards current vogues or norms.

Corbyn supporters think he would be a better PM than Osborne. No shit! But this means it is up to Corbyn to persuade the uncertain and the opposed, not that we all shrug our shoulders and revert to the status quo with a meek sigh."

and

"The Labour party shouldn't be some fucking wine-waiter, offering a menu to the electorate and eagerly offering to deliver unto them that which they walked in to the room with a desire for.

Our job is to change peoples' minds, challenge the existing narrative, offer people hope that they can have something to look forward to other than poverty, and a dwindling supply of opportunity. Remember "Things Can Only Get Better"? Right now, what the majority of the PLP are offering is "Things Can Only Get Slightly Less-Worse". And they wonder why the party membership has turned on them?"

That is a Labour party which is in Broadcast Mode only.

I have some sympathy for the view that good politicians try to change people's minds.

But if you want to get people to change their mind, the most important thing to do is to listen to them, do more listening than talking and get them to change their own minds almost without realising it so rather than think that they now agree with Corbyn or whoever it looks as if Labour is now a party with a leader who thinks like them, who is on their side.

Successful political parties are those who - at some very basic level - are listening to what people are saying, what they are saying in private. They don't shout "You Must" at the voter.

• Options
    Dair it is ..toe the party line...just saying
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

Democracy in action is the electorate in the constituency voting resulting in the election of that MP.
    If that is not a lie, then they do not need the party endorsement.

They can stand as independents and be elected quite freely.
  • Options

Really? I think you doth protest too much.
    I was ready to give her a chance, as a 'clean skin'. However, in my view she just didn't cut it.

Tom Blenkinsop spoke on Liz's behalf at our CLP nomination meeting - he put the Lizite case very well, and would have been a better candidate, IMHO.
  • Options

Corbyn, pigs, yada yada

True, but if you had £10+K in your pocket, would YOU buy a new Volkswagen tomorrow? Cash flow interruptions can kill businesses
    We need a second car in a month, and I'm considering doing just that. There's a risk, but I might be able to screw them down on a really good deal. Even though I'm not a particularly good haggler.

And if they do go bust, there's so many about that there will be a very good independent dealer and parts ecosystems.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,146
    Fiji giving the Aussies a good game....
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...

Is that true? I thought a personal vote was a real effect.
    It's quite rare, and marginal - Tim Farron has a decent personal vote... Alistair Carmichael certainly didn't at the GE to pick two examples.
  • Options

Dair it is ..toe the party line...just saying

I think it's from kow-tow.
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I am sure the Chinese kids have never heard of Man Utd, City, Arsenal or Chelsea

They've prob got posters of George Osborne on their bedroom walls, not Rayne Looney

Why trust the free market when state intervention will do?
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

I am sure the Chinese kids have never heard of Man Utd, City, Arsenal or Chelsea

They've prob got posters of George Osborne on their bedroom walls, not Rayne Looney

Interestingly, if the UK government spends £3m on coaching football in China, then it will be spending £3m more on coaching in China than it does in the UK.
  • Options
    It seems Dennis Skinner has achieved a great deal for his constituents in his 45 years as MP:

"Meanwhile, Bolsover in Derbyshire came lowest for happiness, worthiness and life satisfaction."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34336951

I'm slightly surprised to see Cannock Chase rate so low.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Cyclefree said:

Dair said:

Scott_P said:

As Dair says, it is not contemptuous of the general electorate - any deselected MP is free to put themselves forward for re-election as an independent.

But standing under a party banner (and thereby benefitting from the hard work that activists do and money they pay to make sure that party banner has any currency) is a privilege, not a right.
    Those arguments were run in the 1980's too. There is a smidgen of merit in them but not as much as you might think, particularly when it resulted in Labour remaining out of power. All the focus on the rights of party activists was all well and good but it rather ignored the rights and desires and needs of the voters, particularly those who might be inclined to vote Labour.

In politics you have to choose. Labour needs to decide whether it prefers to be on the side of party activists or voters.
  • Options
    edited September 2015

We need a second car in a month, and I'm considering doing just that. There's a risk, but I might be able to screw them down on a really good deal. Even though I'm not a particularly good haggler.

Other manufacturers are feeling the heat too. If Volkswagen could do it....

If more of them falls foul of this then the industry may be safe. The EU cannot afford to have the ENTIRE automotive sector go *boom*. If it is only Volkswagen then one sacrifice for the good of the rest might be viewed as worth it.

I suspect that good deals are going to be found on more than VW forecourts.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    edited September 2015
    Yes but there is a 90% chance Corbyn will lose and Labour Corbyn backers know that. However they are just hoping the 10% chance pays off perhaps through a depression in which case they get a genuinely socialist government even more leftwing than Attlee's who transform the country in a leftwing direction. Tory members similarly knew IDS had little chance of winning but if he did the UK could have a socially conservative government that would likely leave the EU
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Cyclefree said:

antifrank said:

JEO said:

and

That is a Labour party which is in Broadcast Mode only.

I have some sympathy for the view that good politicians try to change people's minds.

But if you want to get people to change their mind, the most important thing to do is to listen to them, do more listening than talking and get them to change their own minds almost without realising it so rather than think that they now agree with Corbyn or whoever it looks as if Labour is now a party with a leader who thinks like them, who is on their side.

Successful political parties are those who - at some very basic level - are listening to what people are saying, what they are saying in private. They don't shout "You Must" at the voter.

Post of the day. Even Ed Miliband's wagging finger was most off-putting to my parents' generation. Corbyn's entire career has been defined by attack, support of those wanting to force their will on Britain, and braying sweet left wing 'You must' nothings from the backbenches - as this polling indicates, he will be a disaster for Labour.

• Options
    Dair said:

RobD said:

Dair said:

Danny565 said:

FPT:

Indeed.

Bwahahahhahahah

oh, you're not joking?

er...

What, just like Jeremy Corbyn? He was regularly unwilling to toe the party line. He is apparently a good constituency MP. People voted for him. Should he have been deselected?

• Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Do you object to the scheme in general? It's been running since 2007 around the world. It's geared to teaching English through football, as explained here:

http://www.britishcouncil.org/society/sport/current-programmes/premier-skills

Do you object to the scheme operating in China? As the article notes, it's long-running there too.

Or is it just that you object to it being extended to Xinjiang province, which is what was announced this week?

Given that football is specifically associated with Britain among the Anglosphere countries, it looks like a novel way of getting some soft influence.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Those arguments were run in the 1980's too. There is a smidgen of merit in them but not as much as you might think, particularly when it resulted in Labour remaining out of power. All the focus on the rights of party activists was all well and good but it rather ignored the rights and desires and needs of the voters, particularly those who might be inclined to vote Labour.

In politics you have to choose. Labour needs to decide whether it prefers to be on the side of party activists or voters.

You seem to lack any understanding of how UK General Elections work.

In effect, the UK works as an electoral college, where constituencies return party representatives. Like any electoral college the voter should expect those representatives to vote in the way their party is offering through its manifesto, leadership and activists.

Anything else is an insult to the decision of the voters to back and party. Your highly contradictory nonsense even admits this when you say "inclined to vote Labour".
  • Options
    Dair maybe you should checkout the figures re money for youth football in the UK..
  • Options
    https://vimeo.com/65809176

@isam Look who makes an appearance at 00:55 !!!

Taxpayer funded jollies for a certain ref dear to all Arsenal fans' hearts ;)