Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nineteen days to go and the betting moves back to Corbyn

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited August 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nineteen days to go and the betting moves back to Corbyn

Corbyn at almost his tightest level yet on Betfair. The little slip of the weekend reversed. pic.twitter.com/jb0xB37ar9

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    edited August 2015
    It looks like Labour are really going to do it.

Wow.

Edit: and my first first for a few weeks. ;)
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited August 2015

To stop it becoming (even more) of a dormitory for London, amongst other reasons. Although Cambridge is slightly odd as the university has its mucky mitts in the system.

But in Cambridge's environs, there are several developments - most notably Northstowe (Oakington) where no progress has been made for years.

Developers also demand more land, whilst having large land banks.

So the reason we need the Green Belt in Cambridge is to stop people commuting into London who have been priced out of there because of the Green Belt around London.

The government should sell land to self builders rather than developers like they do in Germany. Also land banking should be taxed.
    Only idiots would think that the problem of housing in London would be fixed by building more houses, on the green belt or otherwise. There is too much demand, and too many people willing to pay over the odds.

Now if you could tackle buy-to-let you might get somewhere.

The problem needs to be looked as a whole, and building willy nilly will do f'all good.

Nick Palmer is absolutely right that the answer for London - and other big cities - is vertical housing, aka tower blocks. Unfortunately that is not the British model - we are wedded to the idea of a detached house, garage and garden. Even if the garden is postage stamp sized, the garage unusable because you cannot open the car doors once it is in, and the 'detached' is courtesy of two inches of path.
    Only idiots think that supply has absolutely no effect on the cost of housing.

The population is growing therefore we need more housing. Yes BTL, mortgage credit, land banking and other factors come into play as well all of which needs reform no arguments from me, but increasing the population by millions whilst building too few housing plays a massive part as well.

And you've still given no good reason for Cambridge to have a Green Belt other than "everyone knows that it's needed" and the fact that you live near there.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    What odds would you have got on Corbyn being the next labour leader at the start of the year?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Nooooooooooo. Poor @The_Apocalypse.

He has a huge cut-and-paste job FPT.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

This made me LOL.

And it's a she, btw!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    dodrade said:

What odds would you have got on Corbyn being the next labour leader at the start of the year?

Someone got 980/1 on Betfair. £1,960 for a £2 stake. The other party must be feeling sore|
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    It's rare that one learns something absolutely new, but thanks to Hunchman for highlighting the famous 78 year domestic property cycle. Other conveniently timed statistics appreciated.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    dodrade said:

What fool would want that bet?
  • Options
    FPT part 1:

PB is obsessed with the idea of a Labour collapse and annihilation. Sometimes I think this site engages in ridiculous hyperbole. This is one of those times.

There is the idea Labour will split, with the Blairites moving away from Labour. While many MPs will oppose Corbyn-politics, most of them are going to attempt to shift him out than actually leave Labour. For a start, there is History - in the SDP - which says that these kind of ventures are not profitable and only serve to splinter the centre-left rather than unite it. The second, is that according to Dan Hodges, many of the Blairites - such as Umunna are already planning a combat Corbyn strategy anyway, the 'Free French' strategy. The third point, is that unlike the SDP figures, Umunna, Creasy etc still are on the rise as far as political careers are concerned. SDP ers such as Shirley Williams and Roy Jenkins had already been in power, and held cabinet positions - so had nothing to lose. Many 2010 onwards MPs have yet to achieve this, and know that joining a splinter party will make that even less likely than now.

In the previous thread, I saw comparisons with Labour now, with the demise of the Liberal party. But their demise came as a huge change - the introduction of franchise to married over thirty women, and men over 18 - was introduced. Correlating with that, was the huge Labour and trade union movement. Today, there is no comparable social movement, or change in the franchise. Some will mention the SNP, but there is no equal to them in England as far as a challenger to Labour is concerned. The SNP, contesting a election which involved a part PR system held government positions, which meant that they could be seen as a viable alternative to Labour. Other parties, in England contest elections under a FPTP system which makes replicating SNP success a lot more harder.

Labour, generally has two sets of people that vote for it. The socially liberal, metropolitan centre-left and the more socially conservative types who fit into WWC stereotypes. The demise of the Liberal Democrats, to a partly 8 MPs with hardly any heartlands and a leader who is a tad more socially conservative than his predecessors puts doubt on them attracting the socially liberal types. The Liberal Democrats are also struggling to stay politically relevant, and project an image of competence which will make it difficult for them to appeal to the socially conservative types, which was unlikely anyway. After all, if you're concerned about immigration and welfare you're hardly likely to vote LD. The Greens suffer from wasted vote syndrome, and so are unlikely to make massive dents in Labour's support either.

Then there is UKIP. UKIP are unlikely to attract the socially liberal, centre-left types who will mostly likely stay with Labour even in the event of a Corbyn win. But it's fairly obvious that UKIP will be aiming to attract the more socially conservative WWC.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370

TOPPING said:

This made me LOL.

And it's a she, btw!
    oh..sorry!

:smile:
  • Options

To stop it becoming (even more) of a dormitory for London, amongst other reasons. Although Cambridge is slightly odd as the university has its mucky mitts in the system.

But in Cambridge's environs, there are several developments - most notably Northstowe (Oakington) where no progress has been made for years.

So the reason we need the Green Belt in Cambridge is to stop people commuting into London who have been priced out of there because of the Green Belt around London.

The government should sell land to self builders rather than developers like they do in Germany. Also land banking should be taxed.
    Only idiots would think that the problem of housing in London would be fixed by building more houses, on the green belt or otherwise. There is too much demand, and too many people willing to pay over the odds.

The problem needs to be looked as a whole, and building willy nilly will do f'all good.

Nick Palmer is absolutely right that the answer for London - and other big cities - is vertical housing, aka tower blocks. Unfortunately that is not the British model - we are wedded to the idea of a detached house, garage and garden. Even if the garden is postage stamp sized, the garage unusable because you cannot open the car doors once it is in, and the 'detached' is courtesy of two inches of path.

The population is growing therefore we need more housing. Yes BTL, mortgage credit, land banking and other factors come into play as well all of which needs reform no arguments from me, but increasing the population by millions whilst building too few housing plays a massive part as well.

And you've still given no good reason for Cambridge to have a Green Belt other than "everyone knows that it's needed" and the fact that you live near there.
    Read what I've said: I'm in favour of building in my immediate locality, with caveats about facilities.

Care to take that back?
  • Options
    FPT part 2:

UKIP faces several challenges in attempting to unsurp Labour as the second party in British politics. Firstly, is that in a large number of the seats they came second they were way behind the winning party. Secondly, the direction in which the party goes after this is still in debate. Are they essentially a right-wing Conservative party, who still predominately focuses on critiquing the EU, or do move in a direction of being a socially conservative party, which cares about inequality and standing up for those who are not getting a fair deal? This is the direction, that apparently Nuttal would like UKIP to go into. But with Farage in charge, I see UKIP continuing to focus their critique purely on the EU/immigration, especially given Farage's own conservative background. Particularly since that UKIP's second places are scattered across the country, which may make the way to go unclear. For example, the one region where UKIP recieved the most second places was actually not in Labour's heartlands, in the North. It was actually in the South East - with UKIP replacing the LDs as second-placed party in this region.

The second big challenge is being seen as a viable vote. Many smaller parties under FPTP have suffered from the idea that they are a 'wasted vote', and UKIP is one of them. Last night a PBer brought to my attention one poll that showed a third of voters would vote UKIP if they thought they had a chance of winning, but I found a YouGov which showed similar results for the Green party too. Neither party, I suspect will actually poll 20% - 30% at GE because ultimately it isn't news that in an ideal world many would not vote Tory and Labour. People vote for the big two as a compromise because how FPTP reinforces the strength of the big two. UKIP's biggest challenge therefore is attempting to shed the idea to those in Labour heartlands (if they target those areas specfically) that they are not a wasted vote. UKIP then face two struggles: firstly, establishing a local government base which adds credibility to them being an alternative to Labour, and secondly the targeting of resources, and the improvement of ground-game - both of which were dire at the last GE. Right now, UKIP only control one council - Thanet - and no councils in North.

• Options
    FPT part 3:

There is also the strange curiosity, that while many may sympathise with UKIP's message they may not actually vote for them. Even after bigot-gate, many WWC still voted Labour. When concern about immigration is at its most acute, UKIP are invisible from the political-stage, not profiting in terms of poll VI, and losing council elections. And there is of course the pattern, that many Labour supporters simply disillusioned with the party, rather than looking for other alternatives simply don't vote, which leads to seats like Stoke-On-Trent, where Tristam Hunt's turnout was reportedly only 19%! It's not exactly clear if this damages Labour, either. I saw that @JEO was talking about the prospect of the Conservative party attracting the WWC vote, but I think this is remote. If anything, the reason why UKIP have collected second places in the North, is because many WWC consider a vote for the Tories unpalatable, and that their brand is permanently damaged among them. The Tories have hardly done much to dissuade them from the idea, that they are a party for the rich - and indeed, now that the Tories have won an election without large support from many demographics, including the working class, ethnic minorities and under 45 women - I wouldn't be surprised if the party wasn't all to bothered with attracting these demographics anymore. Cameron is hardly a man of the people, and Osborne is an even worst candidate in terms of pitching to the WWC.

This is why Labour will come out of a Corbyn leadership badly bruised, damaged, and beaten, but not dead and buried.
  • Options
    FPT:

Here's what to do about the housing problems in this country:

Set up a Royal Commission or similar to define the problems and come up with five plans to fix them. Not all problems will be fixed in every plan, and each will require a significant mindset shift amongst certain segments of the population.

These five plans are then put to the country via referendum (under AV, what else?), and the winning solution implemented in law and practice.

Whichever solution is chosen will be massively unpopular amongst certain segments of society, but it will at least be more democratic than the current mess of bodges.

Anyone wanting to implement this scheme can call it the Jessop Plan. I'm sure the original Josias Jessop and his father would thoroughly approve. ;)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
    Labour are lucky the Fixed-Term Parliament Act now exists since it gives them nearly five years to "reassess" the situation. Without it Cameron would probably come under pressure from his own supporters to call an early election while Corbyn is still running the party.
  • Options

FPT:

Set up a Royal Commission or similar to define the problems and come up with five plans to fix them. Not all problems will be fixed in every plan, and each will require a significant mindset shift amongst certain segments of the population.

These five plans are then put to the country via referendum (under AV, what else?), and the winning solution implemented in law and practice.

Whichever solution is chosen will be massively unpopular amongst certain segments of society, but it will at least be more democratic than the current mess of bodges.

Anyone wanting to implement this scheme can call it the Jessop Plan. I'm sure the original Josias Jessop and his father would thoroughly approve. ;)

What segments of the population would need to change their mindset?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897

FPT part 1:

PB is obsessed with the idea of a Labour collapse and annihilation. Sometimes I think this site engages in ridiculous hyperbole. This is one of those times.

I don't think there will be a Labour annihilation either, but there's a reason the idea keeps cropping up, and that's because even people in Labour have been speculating about such things. Most likely as a hyperbolistic warning to Corbyn supporters rather than a genuine belief that it could be the outcome, but it gives those hoping for a particular outcome something to feed upon, as well as the depressed Labour supporters something to back up their pessimism.

Furthermore, the contest has just gone on too bloody long; the extreme interpretation of what the outcome will mean - revolution or annihilation - is possibly in part to keep the story a little fresher week to week.

Though if you know political sites which don't engage in ridiculous hyperbole (in opinion pieces and commentary pieces), please do not tell me or anyone else where they are - such a precious and unique environment would need protection from the trampling force of the unwashed masses, it'd bring a tear to my eye to see something so beautiful and unique be destroyed.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    August 2015; and the four great dramas that are unfolding:

1. The Corbyn Drama: can his momentum be reversed?
    2. The Greek Drama: behind the masks are the actors laughing or crying?
    3. The Chinese puzzle: will the party grip tighten or ease up as the market crumbles?
    4. The EU referendum Drama: does anyone care a shit at the moment?
  • Options

Read what I've said: I'm in favour of building in my immediate locality, with caveats about facilities.

Care to take that back?
    No because you're worried that there will be too much building in the surrounding area, rather than just a small amount nearby which you approve of. Possibly because you think too much housing will spoil the character of the place.

Again I ask, why does Cambridge need a Green Belt? Apparently there are very good reasons for it and yet you've not managed to say what they are.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Barnesian said:

dodrade said:

Someone got 980/1 on Betfair. £1,960 for a £2 stake. The other party must be feeling sore|
    I passed on £5 at 899/1 after I heard he was going to run
  • Options
    MikeK said:

August 2015; and the four great dramas that are unfolding:

1. The Corbyn Drama: can his momentum be reversed?
    2. The Greek Drama: behind the masks are the actors laughing or crying?
    3. The Chinese puzzle: will the party grip tighten or ease up as the market crumbles?
    4. The EU referendum Drama: does anyone care a shit at the moment?

1)Probably not.
    2)Both - madness will do that.
    3)Tighten. At first.
    4)Not right now. I'm stuffed full of this Labour leadership meal, the EU referendum is a course too far at this moment in time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

I don't think there will be a Labour annihilation either, but there's a reason the idea keeps cropping up, and that's because even people in Labour have been speculating about such things. Most likely as a hyperbolistic warning to Corbyn supporters rather than a genuine belief that it could be the outcome, but it gives those hoping for a particular outcome something to feed upon, as well as the depressed Labour supporters something to back up their pessimism.

Furthermore, the contest has just gone on too bloody long; the extreme interpretation of what the outcome will mean - revolution or annihilation - is possibly in part to keep the story a little fresher week to week.

Though if you know political sites which don't engage in ridiculous hyperbole (in opinion pieces and commentary pieces), please do not tell me or anyone else where they are - such a precious and unique environment would need protection from the trampling force of the unwashed masses, it'd bring a tear to my eye to see something so beautiful and unique be destroyed.
    I agree that the contest has dragged on for too long. It should have been finished by June/July, really.

Fair point that all political sites engage in hypberole, but reading posts it seemed as though people actually believed that hyperbole!
  • Options

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

I agree that the contest has dragged on for too long. It should have been finished by June/July, really.

Fair point that all political sites engage in hypberole, but reading posts it seemed as though people actually believed that hyperbole!
    In the moment I think they do. All part of the game.

I have the opposite problem: I automatically shy away from extreme interpretations of, well, pretty much anything, but sometimes of course the correct answer is not in the middle of two extremes, it leans more one way or the other. Hence why I called the GE so wrong when it came to Labour and LD results.
  • Options

FPT:

It would depend on the plans(s). But the current system is so utterly borken (*) that any sane plan would necessarily upset people. Just look at the controversies over right to buy on both sides.

For instance, a plan might call for all new inner-city housing to be high-rise and rental only. Or another might call for any new development over five houses to be council-owned. Or another might abolish all planning laws. And another might further tighten laws. Some plans might do several of the above, and lots of things I haven't thought of.

Whatever the plan is, it will upset people, companies and organisations. Then again, the current mess upsets people That is why it would need to be selected by a democratic referendum.

The problems need defining and the plans creating. That'd be the job of the Royal Commission.

(*) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=borken
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    On the Green Belt.

Too many people are ridiculously attached to it, which is actually very patchy. There are plenty of cities where it does not even exist - Milton Keynes, Leicester, Peterborough, and all of those in Wales and Scotland - without noticeable problems.

It has become an inverse cargo cult driven by selfishness of privileged people.

If you add up all the 'protected' designations that prevent houses being built for people to live in, it is around 35% of England.
    https://barneystringer.wordpress.com/2014/04/03/how-much-of-englands-countryside-is-protected/

Everything except Green Belt is based on the intrinsic quality of the land; GBs are on location, which includes a good area of poor quality land suitable for use.

Time sensibly to loosen this corset, methinks. Start with London and Oxford.

If they do need it, then we can just add more further out. There are any number of purposes for which countryside is set aside as 'no build' these days - eg Special Protection Areas for a whole variety of birds. These can be part of the new "Green Belt".

https://barneystringer.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/protected-land.png
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

Parties do, eventually, run their course.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

I have the opposite problem: I automatically shy away from extreme interpretations of, well, pretty much anything, but sometimes of course the correct answer is not in the middle of two extremes, it leans more one way or the other. Hence why I called the GE so wrong when it came to Labour and LD results.
    Tbh, I think many thought the Tories would get more seats than Labour - they just didn't identify how successful the Tory South-West strategy would be. They correlated the LDs doing badly helping Labour, and UKIP doing well depressing the Conservative vote.

This was why although their was universal agreement in vote-share the LDs would do shite, many thought FPTP would save them in terms of seat-share. And had South-West apocalypse not happened, this assumption would have been true.

• Options

FPT:

I think a sensible widespread policy would be to return to random organic development as part of the mix, which was largely stopped by the Town and Country Planning Act 1947.

I'd like to see a local right for rural communities to grow by 1% a year by newbuild. Careful muancing would be needed, but it would be a good move.

We have a large proportion of rural communities where even small developments are well nigh impossible. Here, for example, is Glynn Davies writing about his experience in a hamlet in Wales.
    http://glyn-davies.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/the-weird-workings-of-our-planning.html

We also need to dump the average £50k of social tax charges heaped on every new house, which is one of the key things responsible for creating poor quality housing in new developments.
  • Options
    GasmanGasman Posts: 132
    edited August 2015

It would depend on the plans(s). But the current system is so utterly borken (*) that any sane plan would necessarily upset people. Just look at the controversies over right to buy on both sides.

For instance, a plan might call for all new inner-city housing to be high-rise and rental only. Or another might call for any new development over five houses to be council-owned. Or another might abolish all planning laws. And another might further tighten laws. Some plans might do several of the above, and lots of things I haven't thought of.

Whatever the plan is, it will upset people, companies and organisations. Then again, the current mess upsets people That is why it would need to be selected by a democratic referendum.

The problems need defining and the plans creating. That'd be the job of the Royal Commission.

Housing is expensive because of planning restrictions. If you limit the supply of something then the price will go up. The price of an acre of land + bricks, labour etc necessary for a house is massively less than the cost of a house with planning permission - it's the artificial restriction that puts the price up. If you want to reduce house prices/allow people to afford to buy houses then you need to allow more houses to be built. The government doesn't need to do anything, it just needs to stop doing a daft thing.

Similarly, given that lots of people want to buy a semi-detached house with a garden (such as we managed to build lots of before all the ridiculous planning rules), why do you want to build property that people don't want?

Essentially it all comes down to freedom - if a person owns some land and wants to build a house on it, there should be a very good reason needed to stop him, and "because green belt" isn't it. One of your "plans" is right - stop trying to plan!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

That means one day the Conservative party will end as well :grin:

Being serious, there needs to be something to replace Labour, and for my reasons given I'm not convinced that's going to happen to just yet.
  • Options
    MattW said:

FPT:

I think a sensible widespread policy would be to return to random organic development as part of the mix, which was largely stopped by the Town and Country Planning Act 1947.

I'd like to see a local right for rural communities to grow by 1% a year by newbuild. Careful muancing would be needed, but it would be a good move.

We have a large proportion of rural communities where even small developments are well nigh impossible. Here, for example, is Glynn Davies writing about his experience in a hamlet in Wales.
    http://glyn-davies.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/the-weird-workings-of-our-planning.html

We also need to dump the average £50k of social tax charges heaped on every new house, which is one of the key things responsible for creating poor quality housing in new developments.
    Why on earth are there 50k social tax charges on new houses? That's just absurd.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

Tbh, I think many thought the Tories would get more seats than Labour - they just didn't identify how successful the Tory South-West strategy would be. They correlated the LDs doing badly helping Labour, and UKIP doing well depressing the Conservative vote.

This was why although their was universal agreement in vote-share the LDs would do shite, many thought FPTP would save them in terms of seat-share. And had South-West apocalypse not happened, this assumption would have been true.

I was predicting a Labour majority until at least February 2015. I thought the above and that Labour would surely do better than they did in Scotland and elsewhere). I don't let it slow me down in future predictions though; I should get into punditry.
  • Options
    @The_Apocalypse

Your essay been flagged as Spam (?)

Wondering why.
  • Options

No because you're worried that there will be too much building in the surrounding area, rather than just a small amount nearby which you approve of. Possibly because you think too much housing will spoil the character of the place.

Again I ask, why does Cambridge need a Green Belt? Apparently there are very good reasons for it and yet you've not managed to say what they are.

Where have I said any of that? I've heard of putting words in people's mouths, but that is ridiculous. If anything, I've said exactly the opposite: I want more housing around Cambridge, and even in my locality. I want the council and developers to get their arses in gear over Oakington, Waterbeach, and yes, even the two proposed villages right next to me.

Cambridge will only thrive if we have more housing. And I support more housing because the only way I could afford a house was because of this new development, and I don't want to deprive others of the same advantage. But that does not mean just building willy-nilly, or building houses with no thought to facilities or how they will become communities.

BTW, do you know how small Cambridge's green belts are? (there are actually two; an inner and an outer).

Besides, if you knew anything about Cambridge you'd know that the biggest barrier to sane development is the university. And when they do allow development, it is to their advantage (ref. NW Cambridge development).

As for why Cambridge needs a green belt, try starting here:
    https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/inner-green-belt-boundary-study-december-2012.pdf
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I was predicting a Labour majority until at least February 2015. I thought the above and that Labour would surely do better than they did in Scotland and elsewhere). I don't let it slow me down in future predictions though; I should get into punditry.

I thought a Labour majority was impossible from about 2013 onwards (I thought we'd have a hung parliament). I also thought they would do terrible in Scotland. However, I thought they'd do far better in marginals and take some of the Conservative seats in London. I did not think for a second the Tories would get a majority.
  • Options
    MattW said:

@The_Apocalypse

Wondering why.

One PBer is not a fan of it, it seems! Never mind.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

Being serious, there needs to be something to replace Labour, and for my reasons given I'm not convinced that's going to happen to just yet.
    One day the Conservatives will end.
  • Options
    Gasman said:

Housing is expensive because of planning restrictions. If you limit the supply of something then the price will go up. The price of an acre of land + bricks, labour etc necessary for a house is massively less than the cost of a house with planning permission - it's the artificial restriction that puts the price up. If you want to reduce house prices/allow people to afford to buy houses then you need to allow more houses to be built. The government doesn't need to do anything, it just needs to stop doing a daft thing.

Similarly, given that lots of people want to buy a semi-detached house with a garden (such as we managed to build lots of before all the ridiculous planning rules), why do you want to build property that people don't want?

Essentially it all comes down to freedom - if a person owns some land and wants to build a house on it, there should be a very good reason needed to stop him, and "because green belt" isn't it. One of your "plans" is right - stop trying to plan!
    Housing is expensive because building is expensive. Land is a part of that, and so is planning, but a small part.

Here's another argument that is an extension of yours: let's remove all building standards. Houses would be much cheaper if they didn't have to have indoor plumbing. How about no windows in houses: after all, they cost money. And steeper stairs would be cheaper as well. And why do we need fireproofing and insulation standards?

No?

If anything, I want to see better housing built, with better facilities. That's true whether the houses are street of luxury detached homes, blocks of flats or tower blocks. Ans sadly it costs more. But the long-term costs of not doing it are much greater.

But as I said: instead of coming up with ideas that solve your problems but cause other problems to get bigger, why not look at all the problems at once?
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

MattW said:

@The_Apocalypse

Wondering why.

Not me - just a mention since some think I was wrong to - jokingly - complain about the length of previous thread header.
    I do however think its a wise thing to at least try to synthesise down our opinions.
    What I did think mildly amusing was that Mr Apocalypse seemed to be saying there would be no err... apocalypse. Unlike hunchman.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Housing is expensive because building is expensive. Land is a part of that, and so is planning, but a small part.

Here's another argument that is an extension of yours: let's remove all building standards. Houses would be much cheaper if they didn't have to have indoor plumbing. How about no windows in houses: after all, they cost money. And steeper stairs would be cheaper as well. And why do we need fireproofing and insulation standards?

No?

If anything, I want to see better housing built, with better facilities. That's true whether the houses are street of luxury detached homes, blocks of flats or tower blocks. Ans sadly it costs more. But the long-term costs of not doing it are much greater.

But as I said: instead of coming up with ideas that solve your problems but cause other problems to get bigger, why not look at all the problems at once?

Unless immigration is reduced, the demand for housing is going to continue to outpace the number of houses built. Therefore prices will continue to rise.

• Options

MattW said:

FPT:

Why on earth are there 50k social tax charges on new houses? That's just absurd.
    I've heard about it in Islington, but I'm not sure how common it is. There are guidelines for a certain proportion of new developments to be social housing, and that does increase the cost of the other new houses on a development, although I doubt it's as much as £50k.

http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/2012/oct/architects-and-developers-condemn-£50k-tax-every-home-built-levy-fund-social-housing-a
  • Options
    edited August 2015

BTW, do you know how small Cambridge's green belts are? (there are actually two; an inner and an outer).

Small? Are you serious? It completely surrounds and dwarfs the town and stops building in every direction:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/rbi-blogs/wp-content/blogs.dir/303/files/2014/03/cambridge1.jpg
    That's a 20 page pdf, I was hoping you could give me a good reason for the Green Belt but if you can't then just say and I'll stop asking.

• Options

No?

Unless immigration is reduced, the demand for housing is going to continue to outpace the number of houses built. Therefore prices will continue to rise.

I've seen figures somewhere for the drivers behind the need for new housing, but cannot immediately find it. As well as immigration (which is partly offset by migration), ISTR there's also the fact that average house occupancy is going down: less people are housed in each house due to changing lifestyles. I'll see if I can dig them out.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903

MattW said:

FPT:

Yes.
    What is the official name of this policy?
  • Options

Small? Are you serious? It completely surrounds and dwarfs the town and stops building in every direction:

http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/rbi-blogs/wp-content/blogs.dir/303/files/2014/03/cambridge1.jpg
    That's a 20 page pdf, I was hoping you could give me a good reason for the Green Belt but if you can't then just say and I'll stop asking.

Yes, that's really not that big, and it's being eroded by new developments anyway. Waterbach is only just inside it, and Cottenham isn't.

Just read the document. You might learn something. I'd give you other links, but you obviously cannot be bothered to challenge your limited knowledge.
  • Options
    edited August 2015

No?

Land is a huge part of the cost of building a house, just compare the cost of land with and without planning permission, especially somewhere like London or Cambridge.

Also you seem completely unable to tell the difference between planning permission and minimum building standards. One is what you can build and the other is where.

I'm starting to think you don't know what you're talking about.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

No?

I've seen figures somewhere for the drivers behind the need for new housing, but cannot immediately find it. As well as immigration (which is partly offset by migration), ISTR there's also the fact that average house occupancy is going down: less people are housed in each house due to changing lifestyles. I'll see if I can dig them out.
    This is induced by IHT incentives to keep your capital in your primary residence.
  • Options
    Evening all.
    Just got back from the Andy Burnham event near Euston tonight.
    A bit of class war creeping in with pledges to take on the 'Bullingdon Boys' etc
  • Options
    edited August 2015

You can read about it in a very few pages here, starting at page 3:
    https://www.cambridge.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/rd-strat-410.pdf
  • Options

Yes, that's really not that big, and it's being eroded by new developments anyway. Waterbach is only just inside it, and Cottenham isn't.

Just read the document. You might learn something. I'd give you other links, but you obviously cannot be bothered to challenge your limited knowledge.
    Not that big? It's about four times the size of Cambridge and completely surrounds it!

Yeah I'll just spend ages reading a document that you can't even quote a part of to support your argument.

Jeez I can't believe I just wasted half an hour arguing with you about this.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Evening all.
    A bit of class war creeping in with pledges to take on the 'Bullingdon Boys' etc

It worked really well last time, and the time before that. To be fair the dim witted activist base are so warped in prejudice that they'll lap it up. But it doesnt resonate outside of those who were going to not vote Tory anyway.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,101

That's completely wrong-headed. Land is the most significant component of it, and it's the component which is subject to speculation and artificial market constraints.
  • Options

Evening all.

He was doing his Andy Burnham, I'm the poor Scouser who lived in a cardboard box on the fast lane on the M62 and had to give rimjobs to hobos to feed my family schtick to a new peakness.
  • Options
    notme said:

Evening all.

It worked really well last time, and the time before that. To be fair the dim witted activist base are so warped in prejudice that they'll lap it up. But it doesnt resonate outside of those who were going to not vote Tory anyway.

Forgot to ask, did he mention he was Northern?
  • Options
    notme said:

notme said:

Evening all.

@SebastianEPayne: Burnham promises to show "Mr Gideon George Osborne" what a "real northern powerhouse looks like" at the Dispatch Box #labourleadership
  • Options

MattW said:

FPT:

Yes.

He'll be talking about 'section 106' which a developer and a council negotiate on the scale of the necessary bribe to get planning permission.
  • Options
    What really gets on my nerves about Burnham's Bullingdon boys nonsense is that he's such a bloody hypocrite, he was a member of the Mornie Onion Society at Cambridge.
  • Options

Evening all.

He was doing his Andy Burnham, I'm the poor Scouser who lived in a cardboard box on the fast lane on the M62 and had to give rimjobs to hobos to feed my family schtick to a new peakness.
    Its time for Andy Burnham to grow up - but probably too late
  • Options

Not that big? It's about four times the size of Cambridge and completely surrounds it!

Yeah I'll just spend ages reading a document that you can't even quote a part of to support your argument.

Jeez I can't believe I just wasted half an hour arguing with you about this.
    Yes, it;s not that big, partly becauuse Cambridge is relatively small. I used to walk to work in Cambridge from my flat on the north side of Waterbeach, outside the green belt, when I was essentially a cripple. A friend cycles in every day from Cottenham, outside the green belt. Another friend cycles in from Cambourne, well outside the green belt. I don't think they'd mind me saying that they're not unusually fit people.

I can quote it; in fact, that would be very easy. But since you're just going to argue every single little point why should I bother? It's there if you want to learn something, or read Matt's link below.

The Green Belt in Cambridge is being developed on. Why should the small belt be built upon further when it is perfectly possible to build outside it?
  • Options
    notme said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Yes.

He'll be talking about 'section 106' which a developer and a council negotiate on the scale of the necessary bribe to get planning permission.
    It's a fantasy that there's any such amount going to the state on average.

However in principle given the windfall gain a landowner receives when their land is allocated for residential development as opposed to other uses, I don't see why a significant proportion of that shouldn't go to providing the roads, schools, and hospitals that the new development will require.

Or, no developer/landowner contribution, but they have to build all those things themselves, to the same standard as the public authorities would be required to do. That's already how it works in some areas.
  • Options

Evening all.

One amusing thing that happened was before it started there was a bloke sitting with his daughter in the row in front of me.
    Because she was young and quite pretty she got plucked out to sit on the stage behind AB for his speech.
    Her dad turned round to me and said 'The funny thing is she is a die hard JC voter'

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

FPT part 3:

There is also the strange curiosity, that while many may sympathise with UKIP's message they may not actually vote for them. Even after bigot-gate, many WWC still voted Labour. When concern about immigration is at its most acute, UKIP are invisible from the political-stage, not profiting in terms of poll VI, and losing council elections. And there is of course the pattern, that many Labour supporters simply disillusioned with the party, rather than looking for other alternatives simply don't vote, which leads to seats like Stoke-On-Trent, where Tristam Hunt's turnout was reportedly only 19%! It's not exactly clear if this damages Labour, either. I saw that @JEO was talking about the prospect of the Conservative party attracting the WWC vote, but I think this is remote. If anything, the reason why UKIP have collected second places in the North, is because many WWC consider a vote for the Tories unpalatable, and that their brand is permanently damaged among them. The Tories have hardly done much to dissuade them from the idea, that they are a party for the rich - and indeed, now that the Tories have won an election without large support from many demographics, including the working class, ethnic minorities and under 45 women - I wouldn't be surprised if the party wasn't all to bothered with attracting these demographics anymore. Cameron is hardly a man of the people, and Osborne is an even worst candidate in terms of pitching to the WWC.

This is why Labour will come out of a Corbyn leadership badly bruised, damaged, and beaten, but not dead and buried.

Some interesting analysis there.

I wonder how much the disgust with the Tories in northern regions is a generational thing and younger voters will be more forgiving.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Labour are lucky the Fixed-Term Parliament Act now exists since it gives them nearly five years to "reassess" the situation. Without it Cameron would probably come under pressure from his own supporters to call an early election while Corbyn is still running the party.

Now he has a majority I don't understand why Cameron hasn't repealed it already.
  • Options
    notme said:

notme said:

Evening all.

Tbf I was reading PB on my phone for quite a bit of his speech.
    It was all vacuous nonsense about affordable housing, affordable public transport, regulating the privateate sector rental market etc etc.

• Options
    notme said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Here's wove. ;)

I ths.
    Yes.

Can't say I've ever heard it described in quite those terms before.

notme said:

notme said:

Evening all.

@SebastianEPayne: Burnham promises to show "Mr Gideon George Osborne" what a "real northern powerhouse looks like" at the Dispatch Box #labourleadership
    It's interesting how a lot of talk about Labour taking on the Tories seems to be focused on taking on Osborne, either in his current position or as if his rise as Cameron's successor is inevitable or already happened. I know Cameron has said he'll stand down, and most expect him to go well before 2020, so he isn't the long term challenge, but he still needs to be faced first.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Evening all.

So persuasive from a Cambridge educated professional politician who has never had to do a proper day's work in his life.
  • Options
    dodrade said:

AndyJS said:

Now he has a majority I don't understand why Cameron hasn't repealed it already.
    He might well do so, I guess, but I suspect it isn't worth the bother, particular if they think they have a strategy to still be in a winning position in 5 years.
  • Options

MattW said:

@The_Apocalypse

Wondering why.

Not me - just a mention since some think I was wrong to - jokingly - complain about the length of previous thread header.
    I do however think its a wise thing to at least try to synthesise down our opinions.
    What I did think mildly amusing was that Mr Apocalypse seemed to be saying there would be no err... apocalypse. Unlike hunchman.
    Well, it's a she is who is saying that :)
  • Options
    edited August 2015

No?

Compare the price of an acre of land with planning permission and without - that is the cost of planning. It may not be the majority of the cost but it will be a sizeable chunk.

Building regs are a separate argument - they're nothing to do with planning. Having touched on building regs a few times looking at home improvements though I'm fairly sure they could be substantially trimmed.

And again you seem to be missing the point/problem - why would anyone build a house with no indoor plumbing - who would buy it? We don't need to have endless regulations to stop people building houses no-one would want!

The problem is that housing is in short supply, so people struggle to afford the housing they want or need. The problem is caused by an artificial restriction in supply (planning controls). The problem could be fixed by allowing people more freedom to do as they like with their property.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

notme said:

MattW said:

FPT:

Here's wove. ;)

I ths.
    Yes.

Can't say I've ever heard it described in quite those terms before.

notme said:

notme said:

Evening all.

It's interesting how a lot of talk about Labour taking on the Tories seems to be focused on taking on Osborne, either in his current position or as if his rise as Cameron's successor is inevitable or already happened. I know Cameron has said he'll stand down, and most expect him to go well before 2020, so he isn't the long term challenge, but he still needs to be faced first.
    They all know how brilliant Osborne is. He overcame the disaster of crying at Thatcher's funeral, something which would have ended the careers of lesser politicians.

Never misunderestimate George Osborne.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

What really gets on my nerves about Burnham's Bullingdon boys nonsense is that he's such a bloody hypocrite, he was a member of the Mornie Onion Society at Cambridge.

You had to see him on BBC earlier this evening. He virtually blamed the Tories for everything Labour did. It was a remarkable piece of hypocriscy by anyone's standards.

His main claim was the threat to the NHS. FFS that ship has long sailed no one believes them anymore given the amount of times they have called wolf.
  • Options

That's completely wrong-headed. Land is the most significant component of it, and it's the component which is subject to speculation and artificial market constraints.
    "Land is the most significant component of it"

Citation needed please, as I think that's wrong, especially given the number of dwellings per hectare of new developments.

As an aside for the general discussion, it should be remembered that labour and materials availability, as well as financing, are big barriers to new housing developments. It isn't just land availability and planning (I'll need to find a ref for that, but I believe it's right).
  • Options

Yes, it;s not that big, partly becauuse Cambridge is relatively small.

It's large in relation to Cambridge and therefore has a massive effect on housing there. Yes it's small in relation to London, Texas or Pluto, but that's completely irrelevant.

I can quote it; in fact, that would be very easy. But since you're just going to argue every single little point why should I bother?

It would probably be best just to admit that you don't know.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659

"Land is the most significant component of it"

Citation needed please, as I think that's wrong, especially given the number of dwellings per hectare of new developments.

As an aside for the general discussion, it should be remembered that labour and materials availability, as well as financing, are big barriers to new housing developments. It isn't just land availability and planning (I'll need to find a ref for that, but I believe it's right).

There is a shortage of bricks. Brick making capacity has been expanded by re-opening old factories.. but it takes time. There are also shortages of skilled labour.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

FPT part 3:

I wonder how much the disgust with the Tories in northern regions is a generational thing and younger voters will be more forgiving.
    Tbh I think their parents will just pass down the same attitudes they have to their kids. Look at Scotland - young Scots seem just as anti-Tory as their parents. On top of that, the Tories are hardly endearing themselves to young voters.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dodrade said:

AndyJS said:

He might well do so, I guess, but I suspect it isn't worth the bother, particular if they think they have a strategy to still be in a winning position in 5 years.
    If the tories lead in the polls in 2019 why take the risk of waiting another year?
  • Options

Evening all.

Hope you had a nice time! I couldn't make it - Mondays I travel up to the Midlands.
  • Options
    Gasman said:

No?

Compare the price of an acre of land with planning permission and without - that is the cost of planning. It may not be the majority of the cost but it will be a sizeable chunk.

Building regs are a separate argument - they're nothing to do with planning. Having touched on building regs a few times looking at home improvements though I'm fairly sure they could be substantially trimmed.

And again you seem to be missing the point/problem - why would anyone build a house with no indoor plumbing - who would buy it? We don't need to have endless regulations to stop people building houses no-one would want!

The problem is that housing is in short supply, so people struggle to afford the housing they want or need. The problem is caused by an artificial restriction in supply (planning controls). The problem could be fixed by allowing people more freedom to do as they like with their property.
    I'm sure Mr JJ is a nice chap, but he doesn't seem to understand much about housing.

He thinks the supply of housing has no effect on their price which contravenes the first and most important rule of economics.
    He doesn't know the difference between planning permission and minimum buildings standards.
    He thinks the cost of land is not important when it is one of the largest costs to builders, often the largest cost.
    He claims to know loads of reasons why Cambridge needs a Green Belt, but he won't tell us what they are or why they are more important than people being able to afford their own home.

I'm pretty sure he has started from the position of not wanting the UK to build a lot of housing and has worked back from there.
  • Options
    Gasman said:

No?

Land is a significant cost, just not the biggest one. It costs more to build the house than buy the land for the house (although I might be wrong on that, but don't think I am).

Building regs are not a separate argument: it's all part of the cost of a house, and how many houses can be built.

There are sadly landlords for whom indoor plumbing is an option, especially in inner cities. Councils seem rather incapable of stopping them. Plenty of other regs also get routinely flouted, especially adequate insulation.

"The problem is caused by an artificial restriction in supply"

The problem is caused by many things, including an artificial demand in the form of investment and BTL housing. You cannot just look at one side of the problem.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    edited August 2015

It is all a bit of red meat to appease the base, he did go to a northern comprehensive but also to Cambridge, the activists clearly are in the mood for someone to take the fight to Cameron and Osborne which is why Corbyn is doing so well, not someone who seems to be putting in a bid to join Cameron's Cabinet as Kendall is

(Remember Burnham signed off a letter to Prince Charles 'Your most humble and obediant servant' http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3111169/Andy-Burnham-Prince-Charles-humble-obedient-servant.html, he is not really a Corbyn style revolutionary)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @viewcode FPT

At the various Business for Britain meetings I've been to there has been a real split of opinion.

Personally, I'm on the fence on the vote, not a 'No' voter. The current set up is just about in the UK's interest, but if things develop so that the Eurozone starts voting en bloc then we absolutely need protections from that. And if we can't get appropriate protections then we really are better off out.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    MP_SE said:

FPT part 3:

We know people locally who said they like the Tories but their (dead) grandfather/mother would never forgive them. Many are dying out - former coalminers. When our result cam out (Staffs Moorlands), one said she was surprised the Tories found 20,000 to vote for them. I replied I was surprised there were 10,000 Labour supporters still alive. We have gone from a Marginal Labour seat in 1997 to a safe Tory seat in 2015.

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Some poor BBC woman reporter has had to spend the day with Liz Kendall.
  • Options
    O/T:

Translation problems for the official Chinese state newspaper:

"Abandoned bisexual baby found in park in E China"

http://en.people.cn/n/2015/0824/c98649-8940753.html
  • Options
    Burnham reminds me of Indecisive Dave from the Fast Show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRPcssq-7Us
  • Options
    edited August 2015

I've heard about it in Islington, but I'm not sure how common it is. There are guidelines for a certain proportion of new developments to be social housing, and that does increase the cost of the other new houses on a development, although I doubt it's as much as £50k.

http://www.islingtontribune.com/news/2012/oct/architects-and-developers-condemn-£50k-tax-every-home-built-levy-fund-social-housing-a
    No.

£50k per unit is about right as the average. It will be lower in eg Lancashire and higher in the South East. This is one of my professional areas.

The basic reason why it is so high is because we choose to fund the cost of all new infrastructure - roads, parks, GP surgeries, schools, open space - and affordable housing, out of the cost of new developments rather than out of Council Tax on the existing population. It is convenient politically because people who don't live there yet don't have votes.

Secton 106 agreements are *part* of it but also, for example, reasonably sized developments have to leave 10% of the space unbuilt on, and sell 10-50% of their houses at cost to Social Housing Providers. That means that part of the time your workforce are making revenue but no income, so that increases the required price of the other units.

This comes from some mix of :

1 - "Planning Gain" - the increase in value of land once it gets Planning Permission which can be by 10-200 times depending on the area (say agricultural land £6k an acre, house building land with PP £100-500k an acre might be typical. Much more in cities.),
    2 - a consequent limit of the profit to the developers, and
    3 - a reduction in the amount of money available to build the house.

There are hugely complex computo-models to try and work out a fair balance.

Which of the above it is claimed to come from will depend on the political view of the person making the statement.

This is the breakdown of the cost of a unit from a BBC documentary called "Business Boomers" last year:

The thread where I posted this on the E-Build Forum is here, which explains a little more :
    http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/13846-breakdown-of-cost-of-a-house/

(Further post to follow)
  • Options

Land is a significant cost, just not the biggest one. It costs more to build the house than buy the land for the house (although I might be wrong on that, but don't think I am).

Building regs are not a separate argument: it's all part of the cost of a house, and how many houses can be built.

There are sadly landlords for whom indoor plumbing is an option, especially in inner cities. Councils seem rather incapable of stopping them. Plenty of other regs also get routinely flouted, especially adequate insulation.

"The problem is caused by an artificial restriction in supply"

The problem is caused by many things, including an artificial demand in the form of investment and BTL housing. You cannot just look at one side of the problem.

Just before I go for the night, 2 final points - land costs next to nothing (maybe £10k per acre for farmland) Buying land with planning permission is what costs lots of money.

And it's not artificial demand, it's just demand! BTL is still people living in the houses - if people were able to afford to buy a house (and wanted to) they wouldn't need to rent. Removing the artificial limits on supply would reduce the incentive to buy property as an investment, because you're stop the ever-increasing prices, but even if you didn't, who are you to say who's allowed to own property or what they can do with their property.
  • Options
    An interesting fact is that China's population is growing at a slower rate than the UK's, 0.44% v 0.54%.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited August 2015

Evening all.

So persuasive from a Cambridge educated professional politician who has never had to do a proper day's work in his life.
    Maybe members of the Labour Party lap this stuff up, but trying to be as fair as I can to somebody I would never vote for, stuff like that makes him sound stupid. It might just about work if he wasn't essentially yet another privileged professional politician. I'm way more common than Burnham and I would never say such stuff, I'd feel like a right idiot spouting such things in front of an audience of presumably intelligent and politically engaged people.
  • Options
    Hertsmere_PubgoerHertsmere_Pubgoer Posts: 3,476
    edited August 2015

Evening all.

Hope you had a nice time! I couldn't make it - Mondays I travel up to the Midlands.
    It was all a bit rubbish tbh. Keir Starmer kicked it off, then Prescott went on about Thatcher dismantling the welfare state etc.
    I left after Burnham's speech when Luciana Berger came on.
    Of the handful of people I spoke to, virtually everyone was convinced that JC will win on the first round.
    One person did say that 1 of them should stand down to maximise the anti JC vote.
    I was able to counter with an 'Ah, under AV it doesn't matter if someone stands down.'
    So, hat tip to TSE for all his helpful AV threads.

• Options
    edited August 2015

I'm sure Mr JJ is a nice chap, but he doesn't seem to understand much about housing.

He thinks the supply of housing has no effect on their price which contravenes the first and most important rule of economics.
    He doesn't know the difference between planning permission and minimum buildings standards.
    He thinks the cost of land is not important when it is one of the largest costs to builders, often the largest cost.
    He claims to know loads of reasons why Cambridge needs a Green Belt, but he won't tell us what they are or why they are more important than people being able to afford their own home.

I'm pretty sure he has started from the position of not wanting the UK to build a lot of housing and has worked back from there.

Well, I've helped build and demolish houses, if that counts. ;)

I'll ignore most of your other statements as they're rubbish.

However: when did I say: "the cost of land is not important?" I said it's a small part of the cost of a house. Here are some sums; say a hecatre of land with planning permission costs £1.5 million - not an unrealistic figure. A developer can fit 40 houses or more on that hectare (ISTR the latest part of my village to be built is 36 DPH). If a house selling for upwards of £200,000, then the land cost is under one fifth of the total sale price.

BTW, DPH includes roads, gardens etc.

In the case of Upper Cambourne, if I'm right and it's 36 DPH, and a hectare costs £2 million (being generous - the developers bought the land decades ago), then the land cost per dwelling is £55k. New houses are selling for £240-470k.

As for Cambridge green belt; read the documents. It's simple really. I could condense them, but you'd just argue the toss because you don't want to agree with them. If you want to know, educate yourself.

As for your last line, read what I've repeatedly written over my entire time on PB. I want more housing. But I want it to be good housing, and realise that just building housing does not cure many of the other problems facing housing, and in fact makes some worse.

(Edit: hope I've got my sums right: it's ages since I studied this!)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    Keely is on.

Its bright and breezy tomorrow
  • Options

They all know how brilliant Osborne is. He overcame the disaster of crying at Thatcher's funeral, something which would have ended the careers of lesser politicians.

Crying at a funeral is as serious lapse in judgement, but not as serious as the way Cameron rolls his sleeves up.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656

Evening all.

This morning Burnham was being all New Labour, arguing that a candidate must have economic credibility. Then he's back to class warfare in the evening. Indecisive Andy indeed.
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    glw said:

Crying at a funeral is as serious lapse in judgement, but not as serious as the way Cameron rolls his sleeves up.
    Aren't funerals meant to be sad? :'(
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

I don't think there will be a Labour annihilation either, but there's a reason d protection from the trampling force of the unwashed masses, it'd bring a tear to my eye to see something so beautiful and unique be destroyed.

But out of sheer bloody mindedness, not before UKIP....
  • Options
    JEO said:

This morning Burnham was being all New Labour, arguing that a candidate must have economic credibility. Then he's back to class warfare in the evening. Indecisive Andy indeed.

As I said yesterday, or maybe the day before that, Tories need not fear Burnham if his campaign is any indication.
  • Options
    UK debt has reached £1.5 trillion:

http://www.debtbombshell.com/
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Pauly said:

glw said:

Aren't funerals meant to be sad? :'(
    Yes, but you don't bloody cry about it. Stiff upper lip and all that.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

I don't think there will be a Labour annihilation either, but there's a reason d protection from the trampling force of the unwashed masses, it'd bring a tear to my eye to see something so beautiful and unique be destroyed.

But out of sheer bloody mindedness, not before UKIP....
    They will all want to join the New fiscally dry socially liberal not obsessed by the gays or the EU Tory Party.