Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nineteen days to go and the betting moves back to Corbyn

2»

Comments

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Evening all.
    Just got back from the Andy Burnham event near Euston tonight.
    A bit of class war creeping in with pledges to take on the 'Bullingdon Boys' etc

Hope you had a nice time! I couldn't make it - Mondays I travel up to the Midlands.
    It was all a bit rubbish tbh. Keir Starmer kicked it off, then Prescott went on about Thatcher dismantling the welfare state etc.
    I left after Burnham's speech when Luciana Berger came on.
    Of the handful of people I spoke to, virtually everyone was convinced that JC will win on the first round.
    One person did say that 1 of them should stand down to maximise the anti JC vote.
    I was able to counter with an 'Ah, under AV it doesn't matter if someone stands down.
    So, hat tip to TSE for all his helpful AV threads.

Anyone who has Keir Starmer supporting him/her would never get my vote ever.. .
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,339
    glw said:

JEO said:

This morning Burnham was being all New Labour, arguing that a candidate must have economic credibility. Then he's back to class warfare in the evening. Indecisive Andy indeed.

As I said yesterday, or maybe the day before that, Tories need not fear Burnham if his campaign is any indication.
    What Burnham is trying to do is leave enough New Labour room to win floaters while keeping enough Old Labour meat to attract activists and the left. It is a difficult balancing act
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,327
    MattW said:

(snip goood stuff)

Thanks. However I'd argue the funding of new schools and other facilities out of the cost of new houses (e.g. via S106) is the way to go. Otherwise they won't get built, as councils will always have other things to spend their money on. Why should not new home owners pay for facilities that will increase the value of their houses, and why should other council tax payers, who do not get an advantage, pay?

S106 is vital. If anything, it needs tightening.

BTW, I'm talking in hectares and you're using acres. Tat always leads to fun problems. ;)
    BTW2, one of your links does not work.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2015
  • Options
    glw said:

They all know how brilliant Osborne is. He overcame the disaster of crying at Thatcher's funeral, something which would have ended the careers of lesser politicians.

Crying at a funeral is as serious lapse in judgement, but not as serious as the way Cameron rolls his sleeves up.
    No it is not a lapse in judgement, it shows the humanity of the man.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,038
    edited August 2015

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

PB is obsessed with the idea of a Labour collapse and annihilation. Sometimes I think this site engages in ridiculous hyperbole. This is one of those times.

I don't think there will be a Labour annihilation either, but there's a reason d protection from the trampling force of the unwashed masses, it'd bring a tear to my eye to see something so beautiful and unique be destroyed.
    I agree that the contest has dragged on for too long. It should have been finished by June/July, really.

Fair point that all political sites engage in hypberole, but reading posts it seemed as though people actually believed that hyperbole!
    Parties do, eventually, run their course.
    That means one day the Conservative party will end as well :grin:

Being serious, there needs to be something to replace Labour, and for my reasons given I'm not convinced that's going to happen to just yet.
    One day the Conservatives will end.
    But out of sheer bloody mindedness, not before UKIP....
    They will all want to join the New fiscally dry socially liberal not obsessed by the gays or the EU Tory Party.
    Is that schismatic from the "Dry but not obsessed with Europe and the Gays new Tory Party"?
  • Options

I'm sure Mr JJ is a nice chap, but he doesn't seem to understand much about housing.

He thinks the supply of housing has no effect on their price which contravenes the first and most important rule of economics.
    He doesn't know the difference between planning permission and minimum buildings standards.
    He thinks the cost of land is not important when it is one of the largest costs to builders, often the largest cost.
    He claims to know loads of reasons why Cambridge needs a Green Belt, but he won't tell us what they are or why they are more important than people being able to afford their own home.

I'm pretty sure he has started from the position of not wanting the UK to build a lot of housing and has worked back from there.

Well, I've helped build and demolish houses, if that counts. ;)

I'll ignore most of your other statements as they're rubbish.

However: when did I say: "the cost of land is not important?" I said it's a small part of the cost of a house. Here are some sums; say a hecatre of land with planning permission costs £1.5 million - not an unrealistic figure. A developer can fit 40 houses or more on that hectare (ISTR the latest part of my village to be built is 36 DPH). If a house selling for upwards of £200,000, then the land cost is under one fifth of the total sale price.

BTW, DPH includes roads, gardens etc.

In the case of Upper Cambourne, if I'm right and it's 36 DPH, and a hectare costs £2 million (being generous - the developers bought the land decades ago), then the land cost per dwelling is £55k. New houses are selling for £240-470k.

As for Cambridge green belt; read the documents. It's simple really. I could condense them, but you'd just argue the toss because you don't want to agree with them. If you want to know, educate yourself.

As for your last line, read what I've repeatedly written over my entire time on PB. I want more housing. But I want it to be good housing, and realise that just building housing does not cure many of the other problems facing housing, and in fact makes some worse.

(Edit: hope I've got my sums right: it's ages since I studied this!)
    So we can get the cost of the land down to £55k if we build high density housing and the land was bought a decade ago. Doesn't that strike you as problematic? £55k is still a massive amount of money for just the permission to build a home.

And what about a decent sized plot for someone buying the land today? Totally out of reach for 90% of people.

I had a browse of that document and it mostly talks about the views and character of the area, which is all well and good if you have a home. What about the poor sods who are completely priced out?

The nicest parts of Cambridge were built before planning permission was brought in after WW2.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    That is surprisingly close. If Dave doesn't get any decent concessions and the EU doesn't sort out the immigration crisis then I can see out actually winning.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

I was joking, it was one of the stupid things Tim ranted about, along with sleeve rolling, how Cameron poured a pint, receding hair, etc.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    HYUFD said:

glw said:

JEO said:

This morning Burnham was being all New Labour, arguing that a candidate must have economic credibility. Then he's back to class warfare in the evening. Indecisive Andy indeed.

As I said yesterday, or maybe the day before that, Tories need not fear Burnham if his campaign is any indication.
    What Burnham is trying to do is leave enough New Labour room to win floaters while keeping enough Old Labour meat to attract activists and the left. It is a difficult balancing act
    Yes but look where it's getting him. Corbyn is going to win by all accounts and on first ballot by doing precisely the opposite.

I
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FPT part 1:

PB is obsessed with the idea of a Labour collapse and annihilation. Sometimes I think this site engages in ridiculous hyperbole. This is one of those times.

I don't think there will be a Labour annihilation either, but there's a reason d protection from the trampling force of the unwashed masses, it'd bring a tear to my eye to see something so beautiful and unique be destroyed.
    I agree that the contest has dragged on for too long. It should have been finished by June/July, really.

Fair point that all political sites engage in hypberole, but reading posts it seemed as though people actually believed that hyperbole!
    Parties do, eventually, run their course.
    That means one day the Conservative party will end as well :grin:

Being serious, there needs to be something to replace Labour, and for my reasons given I'm not convinced that's going to happen to just yet.
    One day the Conservatives will end.
    But out of sheer bloody mindedness, not before UKIP....
    They will all want to join the New fiscally dry socially liberal not obsessed by the gays or the EU Tory Party.
    Is that schismatic from the "Dry but not obsessed with Europe and the Gays new Tory Party"?
    Scrapheap and I really need to sort out the articles of association of our new party.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

UK debt has reached £1.5 trillion:

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

I think Prescott referenced that earlier.
    Although he said deficit and £1.5 billion at the time, but you can never be quite sure what he was talking about.
  • Options
    My daughter asked an interesting question tonight.

Which is longer ........a "microwave minute" or a "treadmill minute"

• Options

AndyJS said:

UK debt has reached £1.5 trillion:

http://www.debtbombshell.com/

I think Prescott referenced that earlier.
    Although he said deficit and £1.5 billion at the time, but you can never be quite sure what he was talking about.
    Numbers aren't Prescott's strong point.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

glw said:

JEO said:

Yes but look where it's getting him. Corbyn is going to win by all accounts and on first ballot by doing precisely the opposite.

I
    Well in that case let Corbyn win, the voters were clearly going to pick the most leftwing candidate anyway, Burnham cannot outCorbyn Corbyn or outKendall Kendall he is offering Labour a middle way, if they reject it then at least the activists had a choice (and he has actually said Labour spent too much unlike Cooper)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

notme said:

notme said:

Evening all.
    A bit of class war creeping in with pledges to take on the 'Bullingdon Boys' etc

It worked really well last time, and the time before that. To be fair the dim witted activist base are so warped in prejudice that they'll lap it up. But it doesnt resonate outside of those who were going to not vote Tory anyway.

Forgot to ask, did he mention he was Northern?
    @SebastianEPayne: Burnham promises to show "Mr Gideon George Osborne" what a "real northern powerhouse looks like" at the Dispatch Box #labourleadership
    Why do people think it is clever to mention a name that Osborne changed as a teenager?

I mean, it really adds nothing to political discourse!
  • Options
    glw said:

I was joking, it was one of the stupid things Tim ranted about, along with sleeve rolling, how Cameron poured a pint, receding hair, etc.
    Yes but tim probably hasn't been touched by death in the family, when he is, it ought to shut him up because there's nothing funny about it I can tell you.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    That is surprisingly close. If Dave doesn't get any decent concessions and the EU doesn't sort out the immigration crisis then I can see out actually winning.
    I don't know why the figures are always reported with DKs included when that isn't the case for bog standard election opinion polls (although they also have DK figures in the small print).
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,013
    edited August 2015
    OK. Let me post some real numbers which may be useful for those on the outside.

My point is not that this is too much or too little, just that it exists and is a significant and complex element and that changing Planning Policy is not something columnists can do by shooting from the hip.

This is in a location where a new build house costs from say 80k for a 2 bed starter home or flat to £225k or so for a 4 bed detached with double garage.

I have just taken a project for about 130 houses through the "outline" stage of planning permission. Outline establishes the right to build houses on that piece of 10 acres of land, and in our case finalises the access road. Reports done range from Bat and Tree Surveys to Preliminary Drainage design (*) and Traffic Surveys and Ground Conditions drilling using 6m deep holes monitored for a month. About a dozen reports and consultants in all, and this process has taken 2 years so far (that is quick). The Council fee to process it was a non-returnable £20k-ish, which we do not get back if refused.

(*) You cannot have more runoff than came off the existing field, so that means a 2000sqm balancing pond and computer controlled outlet.

Detailed Stage will include the likes of actual layout of houses, designs, final drainage layout, road spec, type of bricks and tiles etc.

In this case it is 10% open space an 20% affordable (a low figure - 8 miles away it would be 35%).

The elements of our Planning Gain contribution include:

Funding 35 school places at Primary and Secondary School.
    Green Travel Plan.
    Open Space as Discussed.
    20% Affordable Houses, according to local assessed need.
    £250k contribution for refurb of local town centre.
    200m of cycle track.
    Lots of stuff like bat boxes and bird boxes, which cost more buggeration and time than money.

The direct cost will be something like a million with another million or two for loss of profit on the Affordable Houses / undeveloped space and opportunity cost.

To get detailed and complete the build will take perhaps another 5-7 years - which is why politicians saying they will build an extra 50k houses a year from scratch in 2 or 3 years is balls. They may pull some forward, but it will leave a hole in 5 years, and it is a huge reform to reduce the time of the process - requiring taking no the Nimby problem and real planning reform.

Anyone who has ploughed through that may enjoy this slightly rude but nearly non-sweary Eclectech animation to provide .. er .. relief.

http://www.eclectech.co.uk/pettingzoo.php
  • Options
    An exciting semantics discussion on Newsnight at the moment.
  • Options
    Charles said:

notme said:

notme said:

Evening all.

It worked really well last time, and the time before that. To be fair the dim witted activist base are so warped in prejudice that they'll lap it up. But it doesnt resonate outside of those who were going to not vote Tory anyway.

@SebastianEPayne: Burnham promises to show "Mr Gideon George Osborne" what a "real northern powerhouse looks like" at the Dispatch Box #labourleadership
    Why do people think it is clever to mention a name that Osborne changed as a teenager?

Because they are unable to challenge him on the policy stage, they revert to literal name-calling. ;)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Moses_ said:

fpt for you

Moses:

"Yes I have. I had to work up there for a while. I was in Ilulissat which is about 120 miles inside the Arctic circle on the west coast. I stayed in the Hotel Icefijord I seem recollect . Sorry I travel a lot and that bits rather hazy. The hotel whichever it was looked out over the bay. I arrived late evening. Opening the curtains in the morning I saw probably one if not the most stunning beautiful scene I have ever seen . Flat calm waters and icebergs hundreds of them gently floating by almost within touching distance.

The food is interesting and the hotel bar was a centre for entertainment, live music quite good as it happens. as there was no where else you could really drink most of the locals got there. The air is so clean you wonder how you breathed before.

Flew direct from Reykjavick. Didn't do much sight seeing as I was working but an interesting couple of weeks for sure.

Locals are very friendly but. Not sure they still share their wives though. Be careful the fisherman are built like brick shithouses."

Hah. Brilliant. Love PB

Yes that's exactly where I'm going: Ilullisat. Looking forward to it hugely.

TAK.
    Enjoy. !! .
    It is a stunning place and incredibly beautiful in a very rugged sort of way.
  • Options

The nicest parts of Cambridge were built before planning permission was brought in after WW2.

To be fair, the nicest pieces of Cambridge were built a while before WW2 ;)
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Moses_ said:

A Tube minute.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

An Alex Ferguson stoppage time minute?

• Options

Moses_ said:

A London Underground "next train arrives in 1 min" minute?
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Moses_ said:

Give me a minute Vasily, one minute only, please.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Charles said:

notme said:

notme said:

Evening all.

Because they are unable to challenge him on the policy stage, they revert to literal name-calling. ;)
    Well, best case, it's pointing at the little boy and shouting 'you've got a funny name, you have'

There's a good chance it's an antisemitic dog-whistle.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Moses_ said:

"Give me a ping, Vashily, one ping only!"
  • Options

So we can get the cost of the land down to £55k if we build high density housing and the land was bought a decade ago. Doesn't that strike you as problematic? £55k is still a massive amount of money for just the permission to build a home.

And what about a decent sized plot for someone buying the land today? Totally out of reach for 90% of people.

I had a browse of that document and it mostly talks about the views and character of the area, which is all well and good if you have a home. What about the poor sods who are completely priced out?

I thnink you misunderstand: I gave an estimate (probably an overestimate) of the cost of the land per hectare as it would be today with planning permission. I was being generous because the land was almost certainly cheaper when the developers bought it (or optioned it) decades ago.

It seems two millions in the right ballpark:
    http://www.tcpa.org.uk/data/files/education_planningandlandvalue.pdf

Cambourne is outside the green belt by quite a margin. It is eight miles from the centre of Cambridge, and it's drivable to Park Street car park in thirty minutes out of rush hour. Oakington/Northstowe is nearer and will have the guided bus serving it. Warterbeach will be seven or so miles out.

In other words, it's an easy commute. The 'poor sods' might actually quite like not living in the centre of Cambridge, yet having it readily reachable. As well as easier access to other places such as St Neots.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

A Tube minute.
    Snap :lol:
  • Options

RobD said:

Moses_ said:

"Give me a ping, Vashily, one ping only!"
    Bingo! Not difficult, I know. :p
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Moses_ said:

Ha! Depends when in the workout the treadmill minute is and whether you're listening to great music or not. My longest minutes have been on the rowing machine.
  • Options
    Charles said:

It's an odd argument. Old houses tend to be nicer because the buildings that survive are the 'nice' ones. The ones that are less favoured tend to get demolished over time because they are less valuable and replaced with more modern buildings, and the cycle continues.

For this reason, soon people will be talking more of how 'lovely' sixties tower blocks are to live in. Because the really bad ones will have been demolished, and the remaining ones renovated (sometimes to the degree of stripping down to steel frames, as happened to one in Bethnal Green in the 1990s).

Also, some of the nice houses can be a real pain to live in, as friends of mine can testify, especially wrt things like grockles gawking in and parking problems.
  • Options
    I may be reading too much into this, but these two data points seem to indicate that a Biden entry into the Dem nomination race, with Obama's endorsement, is becoming more likely:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/251805-white-house-wont-rule-out-obama-primary-endorsement

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/08/24/earnest_adding_biden_smartest_decision_obama_has_ever_made_in_politics_he_can_mount_a_successful_campaign.html
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    MTimT said:

I may be reading too much into this, but these two data points seem to indicate that a Biden entry into the Dem nomination race, with Obama's endorsement, is becoming more likely:

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/251805-white-house-wont-rule-out-obama-primary-endorsement

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2015/08/24/earnest_adding_biden_smartest_decision_obama_has_ever_made_in_politics_he_can_mount_a_successful_campaign.html

I doubt he will formally back either, after all Clinton made a key speech at the 2012 convention which helped Obama beat Romney on the basis he did not oppose his wife and Earnest said he also respected Hillary Clinton's service. In private though there is little doubt Obama would be hoping Biden prevails against his 2008 adversary if he runs and then goes on to win the White House as the best possible endorsement of his legacy. With Hillary Clinton's email problems and Jeb Bush's Trump problems a Biden presidency is not looking as remote a prospect as it once did
  • Options
    edited August 2015

Charles said:

It's an odd argument. Old houses tend to be nicer because the buildings that survive are the 'nice' ones. The ones that are less favoured tend to get demolished over time because they are less valuable and replaced with more modern buildings, and the cycle continues.

For this reason, soon people will be talking more of how 'lovely' sixties tower blocks are to live in. Because the really bad ones will have been demolished, and the remaining ones renovated (sometimes to the degree of stripping down to steel frames, as happened to one in Bethnal Green in the 1990s).

Also, some of the nice houses can be a real pain to live in, as friends of mine can testify, especially wrt things like grockles gawking in and parking problems.
    The grockles can be wearing on the carpet, that's true!

One of my friends can't live in his house because it's open to the public two months a year and it's a real disruption to family life.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    Charles said:

Charles said:

One of my friends can't live in his house because it's open to the public two months a year and it's a real disruption to family life.
    I think your friend and yourself should look up the definition of humblebragging
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I think your friend and yourself should look up the definition of humblebragging
    New term for me. I like and will use.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited August 2015
    MTimT said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

'So forgetful!!!! Just buying some extra large condoms at the drug store and realised I left my wallet in the car! #dumbass'

The guy who coined the phrase a few years ago died of a drug overdose at a young age, Harris Wittels.

It's been scientifically proven to be a negative force!

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/how-to-brag/394136/

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Anybody got any idea what % of the so-called selectorate have already voted? I have the feeling now that any further clashes between the candidates are pretty much irrelevant, except in so far as they unsettle the party even further. I did like Matt's cartoon of the brick thrown through the Labour HQ window, with a note calling for unity attached.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,259
    Charles said:

@viewcode FPT

At the various Business for Britain meetings I've been to there has been a real split of opinion.

Personally, I'm on the fence on the vote, not a 'No' voter. The current set up is just about in the UK's interest, but if things develop so that the Eurozone starts voting en bloc then we absolutely need protections from that. And if we can't get appropriate protections then we really are better off out.

Ah, I see. You were assessing BfB's internal state from your observations of its internal discussions. I was assessing BfB's external state from my readings of its published writings. This explains why we came different conclusions regarding the inexorability (or otherwise!) of it advocating a "No" vote. Thank you.
  • Options
    isam said:

MTimT said:

isam said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

'So forgetful!!!! Just buying some extra large condoms at the drug store and realised I left my wallet in the car! #dumbass'

The guy who coined the phrase a few years ago died of a drug overdose at a young age, Harris Wittels.

It's been scientifically proven to be a negative force!

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2015/05/how-to-brag/394136/

He missed a trick. It should have been 'a jumbo pack of extra large condoms'
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited August 2015
    Humblebragging. Great term. Not heard of it before.

Let's have a go.

"I've backed Jessica Ennis-Hill to win SPOTY at 20/1. Go me! Maybe Jessica deserves some of the credit if the bet comes off? Doh! What am I like!"

• Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited August 2015
    I'm not convinced I've mastered humble bragging yet. Ironic wink.
  • Options

Anybody got any idea what % of the so-called selectorate have already voted? I have the feeling now that any further clashes between the candidates are pretty much irrelevant, except in so far as they unsettle the party even further. I did like Matt's cartoon of the brick thrown through the Labour HQ window, with a note calling for unity attached.

"Most" have already voted according to Stephen Bush at the New Statesman.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2015/08/gordon-brown-backs-yvette-cooper-its-too-late
  • Options
    stjohn said:

I'm not convinced I've mastered humble bragging yet. Ironic wink.

How about "We were stupid enough to buy a farm. It's costing us a bazillion to maintain, so now we're broke." ?
  • Options
    Norway's sovereign wealth fund suffers its first quarterly loss in three years:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/norway-fund-could-suffer-heavy-loss-from-stock-market-rout-1440440085
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    I see COM Res for the Mail has Con 42% to Lab 28% and suggests just 22% would back Labour under Cornyn. Who'd have guessed Twitter and Facebook and the street campaigns could be getting it so wrong? :)