Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank: Hanging tough – the Conservative intake of 2015

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited July 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Antifrank: Hanging tough – the Conservative intake of 2015

Despite relatively few seats changing hands in May, more than a fifth of Conservative MPs – 74 in total – were not in the last Parliament.  They will have a big influence on the dynamics of the Conservative party in government.  What do they look like?  Well, here they are:

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited July 2015
    First! :)
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Second!
  • Options
    Yet another brilliant article from @antifrank, along with the previous article on the new Labour MPs obviously the product of a serious amount of research. Duly bookmarked to return to a couple of years down the line when we see the first ministerial reshuffle.
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    Very interesting- thanks..

I have missed prior episodes.. is there a similar one on new Labour MPs?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2015
    O/T:

I think England are doing well considering they were 30/4. If they can knock Australia over for 120 they might have an outside chance.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    I suspect the Conservative party is moving ever more eurosceptic. There have basically been four groups:

1. Out regardless
    2. Out, but can be persuaded by a great renegotiation
    3. In, assuming we get a reasonable renegotiation
    4. In regardless

Given the actions of the Eurozone over the last week, I think a lot of conservatives have moved up a group. People that were leaning out have made up their minds, and people that were leaning in are now leaning out. I imagine the split has moved from something like 20/30/40/10 to 40/30/20/10. If Cameron can not get a good negotiation together, he may need to recommend out to keep the party together.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Fascinating findings. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Many thanks to Antifrank.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Another solid selection by the Tories. Alan Mak has a rather interesting CV.

http://www.rollonfriday.com/TheNews/EuropeNews/tabid/58/Id/3934/fromTab/58/currentIndex/84/Default.aspx
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Very interesting- thanks..

I have missed prior episodes.. is there a similar one on new Labour MPs?

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/07/10/pleased-to-meet-you-the-labour-intake-of-2015/
  • Options
    PaulyPauly Posts: 897
    When do we get the extended edition for the Liberal Democrat intake?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Pauly said:

Have just realised that off the top of my head I can name half the Lib Dem parliamentary party. Is that some kind of record ;)
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Sandpit said:

Yet another brilliant article from @antifrank, along with the previous article on the new Labour MPs obviously the product of a serious amount of research.

Hear! Hear! Well done, Antifrank!
  • Options
    Hmm. Clegg, Farron, Carmichael (after all @calum mentions!) and Lamb.

Then I go blank.
    Charles said:

Pauly said:

Have just realised that off the top of my head I can name half the Lib Dem parliamentary party. Is that some kind of record ;)
  • Options
    Charles said:

Pauly said:

Hmmm, the parliamentary LibDems. Is it Clegg, Farron, Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grub?
  • Options
    Plato said:

Hmm. Clegg, Farron, Carmichael (after all @calum mentions!) and Lamb.

Then I go blank.

Charles said:

Pauly said:

That's my 50% as well.

I wonder how the other half live?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Charles said:

@JournoStephen: "The names of all the [Lib Dem] MPs can now fit in a single tweet, with 30 characters to spare." Ouch. http://t.co/zgguBMmEEV
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Disraeli said:

Hmmm, the parliamentary LibDems. Is it Clegg, Farron, Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Grub?

Why not treat them with a modicum of respect - it wouldn't do you any harm - and name them correctly as follows:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

There, not too difficult. It will obviously be a much longer list after 2020.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Why not treat them with a modicum of respect - it wouldn't do you any harm - and name them correctly as follows:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Maybe, although most people,including me, also thought that obviously there would be a lot more of them on the list right now, so nothing is certain.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Afternoon all :)

Well, an interesting summary though as Antifrank points out, the key elements going forward might be a) where they stand on Europe and b) who they might support once David Cameron decides to call it a day.

It remains to be seen how they will respond when (because it's a when, not an if) things don't go so well for the Government or the Party. Mid-term (and there will be one) will be a test for them all especially if local results go badly against the party.

• Options
    stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Stodge. Have no fear. I was just being mischievous. I have a lot of time and respect for the LibDems, and before that the Liberal party. They did a great job in accepting coalition with the Tories for the good of the country, and were unfairly punished.
    :blush: Sorry for any offence - I was just fooling around (This forum can get a bit intense sometimes).
  • Options
    Maybe most of us aren't humour donors.
    kle4 said:

stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Maybe, although most people,including me, also thought that obviously there would be a lot more of them on the list right now, so nothing is certain.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    Thanks for the overview Antifrank. I hope you are right about the lack of 'biddability'. It should be the job of every MP to hold the Government to account, not just the Opposition MPs.
  • Options
    JEOJEO Posts: 3,656
    stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

I don't think there's anything obvious at all about it. While the Labour candidates aren't anything special, all of them but Corbyn will be better than Ed Miliband. Left-leaning voters I know have been pretty turned off by Tim Farron's stance on gay relationships. The historic incumbency effect the Libreal Democrats used to rely on will no longer work in their favour. The anti-establishment vote will likely dislike the Liberal Democrats on the EU issue, which will come to the fore over the next few years. And the number of constituencies is going to be moved from 650 to 600, squeezing minority parties further.

Perhaps Farron will outperform expectations. Perhaps Labour will elect Corbyn. Perhaps the Conservatives will tear themselves apart. But there's nothing obvious about a Liberal Democrat recovery.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

We could do some sort of Respect Swap where you care on my behalf.

I read this, scrolled up five posts, tried again and still only got Plato's four again.
    It'd take a lot of effort and dedication to give a toss about who they once were.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    JEO said:

stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

I don't think there's anything obvious at all about it. While the Labour candidates aren't anything special, all of them but Corbyn will be better than Ed Miliband. Left-leaning voters I know have been pretty turned off by Tim Farron's stance on gay relationships. The historic incumbency effect the Libreal Democrats used to rely on will no longer work in their favour. The anti-establishment vote will likely dislike the Liberal Democrats on the EU issue, which will come to the fore over the next few years. And the number of constituencies is going to be moved from 650 to 600, squeezing minority parties further.

Perhaps Farron will outperform expectations. Perhaps Labour will elect Corbyn. Perhaps the Conservatives will tear themselves apart. But there's nothing obvious about a Liberal Democrat recovery.
    It is far from certain that the reduction in constituencies to 600 will actually get through!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    GeoffM said:

stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

We could do some sort of Respect Swap where you care on my behalf.

I read this, scrolled up five posts, tried again and still only got Plato's four again.
    It'd take a lot of effort and dedication to give a toss about who they once were.
    Exactly a bunch of unprincipled no marks who will sellout at first chance of personal gain.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    JEO said:

stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Indeed - Farron is their first mistake. The other big problem relates to gender balance - their all-male intake is not entirely down to electoral misfortune. The party image is very poor in this respect and the more so as they don't seem to be very exercised about it. Additionally with Farron they're fighting alternatives like the Greens without a very distinctive message. Of course they could win back big against the Conservatives but equally the rump could be cleared up next time. They handled the consequence of coalition very badly by trying to support and oppose at the same time - not the kind of message that interests voters.
  • Options
    Pauly said:

When their minibus arrives?
    Disraeli....Pugh Pugh Barney McGrew etc.... smile.
    Stodge.... Go on chuckle.
  • Options
    Antifrank, did your Labour analysis conclude that there was a major increase in the left wing of that party?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    "more Labradors than is healthy for any normal man to look at."

Arf - I like the sound of them already.
  • Options
    A Boris lookalike friend of mine had two called Monty and Rommel

"more Labradors than is healthy for any normal man to look at."

Arf - I like the sound of them already.

• Options
    stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Respect has to be earned.

Clegg and Lamb have definitely earned it. Farron's decision not to contribute to the Coalition is a big negative. The others have made no impression on me one way or the other - which suggests they aren't worth of particular respect.
  • Options
    Stodge told us on another thread that he ignores posts about Punic wars and anyone who uses cripes in a comment.

I don’t know how I'll cope.

Golly.
    Charles said:

stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Clegg and Lamb have definitely earned it. Farron's decision not to contribute to the Coalition is a big negative. The others have made no impression on me one way or the other - which suggests they aren't worth of particular respect.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Why would it be longer after 2020? There are no guarantees in life or politics, it could even be a shorter list.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2015
    Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Glad people enjoyed the piece. I thought the most interesting thing that I found was that the MPs' individual local commitments collectively form a set of policies that I don't think was particularly thought-through centrally. The Conservatives need to decide whether localism is an election tactic or a new way of governing.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Antifrank, did your Labour analysis conclude that there was a major increase in the left wing of that party?

The new intake is not particularly New Labour and has quite a few MPs who are definitely on the left of the party. But Labour MPs often drift rightwards with age so I wouldn't read too much into that.
  • Options
    stodge said:It will obviously be a much longer list after 2020.

Why? There will probably be at least 3 standing down, Pugh, Lamb and Clegg.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Plato said:

Stodge told us on another thread that he ignores posts about Punic wars and anyone who uses cripes in a comment.

I don’t know how I'll cope.

Golly.

Charles said:

stodge said:

Disraeli said:

Tim Farron
    Norman Lamb
    Tom Brake
    Greg Mulholland
    Alastair Carmichael
    Nick Clegg
    John Pugh
    Mark Williams

Cripes! I'd better avoid any mention of Carthage, Rome or Hannibal then.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Plato said:
    Ssssh. Don't show that to Southam Observer!
  • Options
    Crivvens.

We need a murder suspect or something to balance things up.

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

• Options
    edited July 2015
    The Observer - Labour’s lost voters may never return again, study finds

"Labour may never win back its former supporters who jumped ship to the Conservatives on 7 May and robbed it of any chance of victory, according to the most detailed investigation into why people deserted the party at the election.

This is one of many devastating conclusions reached by two former Labour election directors who have conducted a series of focus-group interviews with previously firm Labour backers, all of whom voted Labour in 2010 but switched to the Tories this year.

In a report summarising their findings from five key marginal seats, Alan Barnard and John Braggins say disillusion with Labour among such voters is now so profound and deep-seated that it is unclear whether Labour will even be a relevant force at the next election."
  • Options
    It's okay. He's saving up to pay the BBC £400 for his TVLF.

Plato said:
    Ssssh. Don't show that to Southam Observer!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

But on past LibDem form, there must be at least one with a really, reaally sordid sex secret....?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    It's just ewe and me.

She's called Andrex

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

But on past LibDem form, there must be at least one with a really, reaally sordid sex secret....?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    edited July 2015
    Antifrank's done another piece of great detective work here, I think the parties should be required to produce this sort of summary at the start of each new parliament.

Catching up on the earlier thread re the BBC, putting the BBC to one side, I think what's becoming very clear is that us SKY users all seem to be shelling out £50 - £100 a month. I can almost hear the phone call in 10 years time - "Were you a SKY subscriber in 2000 to 2025 ?"
  • Options
    Plato said:

Crivvens.

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

Wow - worse than I thought.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

"Labour may never win back its former supporters who jumped ship to the Conservatives on 7 May and robbed it of any chance of victory, according to the most detailed investigation into why people deserted the party at the election.

This is one of many devastating conclusions reached by two former Labour election directors who have conducted a series of focus-group interviews with previously firm Labour backers, all of whom voted Labour in 2010 but switched to the Tories this year.

In a report summarising their findings from five key marginal seats, Alan Barnard and John Braggins say disillusion with Labour among such voters is now so profound and deep-seated that it is unclear whether Labour will even be a relevant force at the next election."

Oh dear - how will the Ciffers cope? Roll on the Corbyn bandwagon - theyr'e gonna have to hunker down. :)
  • Options
    What do you get for £50? I subbed to Sky in 2000 and didn't renew it.
    Antifrank's done another piece of great detective work here, I think the parties should be required to produce this sort of summary at the start of each new parliament.

Catching up on the earlier thread re the BBC, putting the BBC to one side, I think what's becoming very clear is that us SKY users all seem to be shelling out £50 - £100 a month. I can almost hear the phone call in 10 years time - "Were you a SKY subscriber in 2000 to 2025 ?"
  • Options
    I find their nostalgia rather endearing. It will never win an election.
    felix said:

fitalass said:

Oh dear - how will the Ciffers cope? Roll on the Corbyn bandwagon - theyr'e gonna have to hunker down. :)
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Plato said:

I came across a person the other day, £100 a month he spends. It's a lot, but he loves his sport, and to him its his entertainment. Of course he also gets his telephone and broadband for that.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    An excellent thread header, but antifrank seems to have one glaring omission about the new Tory intake:

Just how evil are they?

On a 1-10 scale, surely there can't be any less than an 8, can there?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2015
    Mirror Politics ‏@MirrorPolitics 39 secs40 seconds ago

Exclusive: Margaret Beckett backing Andy Burnham despite nominating Jeremy Corbyn.

Ma Beckett sings: Non, je ne regrette rien. Scary picture removed from link out of respect. :lol:

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Blimey. I just can't imagine that. But a friend has terrible MS and he'd watch sports 24hrs if he could. They must spend a similar sum.
    notme said:

Plato said:

I came across a person the other day, £100 a month he spends. It's a lot, but he loves his sport, and to him its his entertainment. Of course he also gets his telephone and broadband for that.

• Options

An excellent thread header, but antifrank seems to have one glaring omission about the new Tory intake:

Just how evil are they?

I suggest a Baby Eating Speed Competition to rank them effectively. Maybe one for volume as well.

Both are different skills, after all.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Mirror Politics ‏@MirrorPolitics 39 secs40 seconds ago

Exclusive: Margaret Beckett backing Andy Burnham despite nominating Jeremy Corbyn.

Ma Beckett sings: Non, je ne regrette rien. Scary picture removed from link out of respect. :lol:

Good old Ma.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    That's a very important distinction. Well spotted.

I like mine with a side salad. And Caesar dressing.
    GeoffM said:

Just how evil are they?

I suggest a Baby Eating Speed Competition to rank them effectively. Maybe one for volume as well.

Both are different skills, after all.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Plato said:

Crivvens.

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

I'm sure these guys can cover all the necessary bases for the LibDems normal skeletons in the closet:

http://www.libdems.org.uk/peers

Some gobsmacking names on the list - soon to be joined by Lord Handy of C**k, Lord Alexander etc - I'd keep an eye on Lord H if I were a LibDem whip (person not object !!).
  • Options
    There's a Lord Alliance!
    calum said:

Plato said:

Crivvens.

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

I'm sure these guys can cover all the necessary bases for the LibDems normal skeletons in the closet:

Some gobsmacking names on the list - soon to be joined by Lord Handy of C**k, Lord Alexander etc - I'd keep an eye on Lord H if I were a LibDem whip (person not object !!).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Going to kill my Sky TV package when the Ashes ends/footy starts up.

The new fibre is nice, 30 megabits/sec or so.

I pay £60/mth for TV & broadband right now.
  • Options
    I worked out that I ate about 100 gig on Netflix etc in a single month.
    Pulpstar said:

Going to kill my Sky TV package when the Ashes ends/footy starts up.

The new fibre is nice, 30 megabits/sec or so.

I pay £60/mth for TV & broadband right now.

• Options
    On topic. Thought @antifrank point about the charitable work of Tories being voluntary and not a job was interesting.

Cue bun fighting.
  • Options
    Plato said:

On topic. Thought @antifrank point about the charitable work of Tories being voluntary and not a job was interesting.

Cue bun fighting.

There are few people more self righteous than those who *work* for a charity. Far more than the volunteers.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Cue bun fighting.

Agreed, that was a rather interesting comment, which emphasises a difference in thinking between the two parties.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    I do wish Lefties would take the mickey out of themselves as much as Tories do.

It's very healthy to mock your own side.
    notme said:

Plato said:

Cue bun fighting.

There are few people more self righteous than those who *work* for a charity. Far more than the volunteers.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Great work antifrank.

The difference between the Tories and Labour is stark. IIRC the Labour list was completely dominated by the public/third sectors once the SPADs etc were removed. Both parties have them of course but the difference with the Tories is remarkable.

It seems inevitable that 2 visions of the UK will persist. One small state, enterprise driven and individualistic. One large state, socially focussed and communitarian. By their past employment you will know them.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Out of curiosity, how many MPs from Tories vs Labour have armed services experience?

Not just newly minted, but in total?

The previous occupation of each MP as a thread subject would make great food for thought.
    DavidL said:

Great work antifrank.

The difference between the Tories and Labour is stark. IIRC the Labour list was completely dominated by the public/third sectors once the SPADs etc were removed. Both parties have them of course but the difference with the Tories is remarkable.

It seems inevitable that 2 visions of the UK will persist. One small state, enterprise driven and individualistic. One large state, socially focussed and communitarian. By their past employment you will know them.

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    calum said:

Plato said:

Crivvens.

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

To be fair to Danny Alexander, something I'm not usually in the habit of doing, he's ruled out going to the HoL.
  • Options
    You would need a heart of stone not to laugh...

Daily Telegraph - Jeremy Corbyn backers abandon ship and call Labour grandees to intervene
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Antifrank - thank you again.

Looking at the new Cons, it would seem about half of them won against sitting opposition rather than replacing a former Con. Also notice that they are mainly in their 30s and 40s with a few in their 20s and 50s and one in his 60s. Most of the ladies seem to enter politics after they have raised or are raising an established family. In general they appear to be quite a formidable bunch with diverse skill sets and experiences.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Out of curiosity, how many MPs from Tories vs Labour have armed services experience?

The previous occupation of each MP as a thread subject would make great food for thought.

DavidL said:

Great work antifrank.

Hmm...no idea. I can only think of 1 Labour ex military of the top of my head, Dan Jarvis, but there must surely be more.

4 struck me as a surprisingly large number of newbies given the relatively tiny size of our armed forces these days. I suspect it is one public service to another that drives it.
  • Options
    Some of those 36 MPs must be having sleepless nights
    fitalass said:

Daily Telegraph - Jeremy Corbyn backers abandon ship and call Labour grandees to intervene

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Congratulations to the LibDems on electing someone even more Sixth-Formery than Ed Miliband :lol:
  • Options
    Financier said:

Antifrank - thank you again.

Looking at the new Cons, it would seem about half of them won against sitting opposition rather than replacing a former Con. Also notice that they are mainly in their 30s and 40s with a few in their 20s and 50s and one in his 60s. Most of the ladies seem to enter politics after they have raised or are raising an established family. In general they appear to be quite a formidable bunch with diverse skill sets and experiences.

Can't help feeling quite a number of these individualistic and aspirational people are going to be bored out of their minds by 2020.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    WTF?
    “Suffice to say that the brand of Labour has been damaged massively by these voters’ inability to perceive him as a capable and competent prime minister.
    If only prospective Labour voters were more intelligent, they'd understand. False Consciousness. Again.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Apols for this triple post - Vanilla was giving me red messages
  • Options
    We need one back!
    Financier said:

Apols for this triple post - Vanilla was giving me red messages

• Options
    With only 8 MPs, I don't think you can expect there to be much diversity.

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Know you're interested in female vs male prison population. Been watching some great US docs but no idea on relative pops compared to UK.

Do you have any figures?
    AndyJS said:

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

• Options
    DavidL said:

Plato said:

DavidL said:

Great work antifrank.

Hmm...no idea. I can only think of 1 Labour ex military of the top of my head, Dan Jarvis, but there must surely be more.

4 struck me as a surprisingly large number of newbies given the relatively tiny size of our armed forces these days. I suspect it is one public service to another that drives it.
    Tried to edit this without success. Apparently there are more than 50 MPs with military experience and 30+ are in this photo. Not sure of all the party allegiances but seem to be mainly tory with a sprinkling from NI.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Military-MPs.jpg
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    felix said:

fitalass said:

The report may be true. I hope it is. However will this be reflected in people 'the cohort' who come onto the frame by 2020? Will they have the naivety of youth, and how would Labour bribe them?
    It may be that we over analyse these things - we probably do. People will sadly die as well. The other point of course is that people move through the 7 ages of life and voting patterns constantly change. I do wonder on the subject of 'bribes' - which all politicians are susceptible to offer and of course which all voters are prone to accept - I do wonder if once the child benefit is limited to 2, well is there scope for it to be raised with a little generosity?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    AndyJS said:

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

Why don't you expect "much diversity"? If the candidates reflected the country then statistically you would expect much more than this.

In fact statistically you'd have had to go to some considerable effort to achieve this level of underachievement.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    GE2010 How many LD MPs filled the absent categories, that'd be instructive.
    GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

Why don't you expect "much diversity"? If the candidates reflected the country then statistically you would expect much more than this.

In fact statistically you'd have had to go to some considerable effort to achieve this level of underachievement.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    fitalass said:

Firstly, can I say sorry if I flagged you as spam, using a tablet which means that the icons are too small for my big fingers.

Corbyn is being underestimated. He is a long term MP after all, which means that he knows of the levers of power, probably better than all of the government front bench put together.

He also seems to be better attuned to the attitude of the majority of the UK. Austerity has never worked, and the austerity as practiced by GO is no more than a joke.
  • Options
    Ohhh
    One MP who helped Mr Corbyn onto the ballot said Labour grandees who have kept their “powder dry” in the Labour leadership race so far must now act to stop him winning... A third MP who backed Mr Corbyn said they were “deeply disappointed” with the state of the leadership race which had failed to debate the deficit, citing him as a distracting influence.

The fact even among the 36 Labour MPs who nominated Mr Corbyn there is anger at his impact and plotting to block his path to victor reveals the depth of concern in the party.

It comes after those MPs that lent their support for Mr Corbyn were openly attacked by colleagues at the time. John Mann, a Labour MP, tweeted that the late surge for Mr Corbyn demonstrated the party’s “desire never to win again” while Tom Harris, a former Scottish Labour MP, wrote simply: “Dear David Cameron, you’re welcome. Lots of love, the Labour Party.” http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11742529/Jeremy-Corbyn-backers-abandon-ship-and-call-Labour-grandees-to-intervene.html
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Most entertaining leg-pulling.
    OchEye said:

fitalass said:

Firstly, can I say sorry if I flagged you as spam, using a tablet which means that the icons are too small for my big fingers.

Corbyn is being underestimated. He is a long term MP after all, which means that he knows of the levers of power, probably better than all of the government front bench put together.

He also seems to be better attuned to the attitude of the majority of the UK. Austerity has never worked, and the austerity as practiced by GO is no more than a joke.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

fitalass said:

2 million jobs would say otherwise. GO never really practiced austerity. Spending £80 billion more than you take in in tax is not austerity, its profligacy. But at least he's hoping to reduce that profligacy.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Plato said:

Most entertaining leg-pulling.

OchEye said:

fitalass said:

Really Plato? Let's be honest here, we have 3 plastic wanna be's against 1 individualist who seems to be more attuned to the the UK voter.

Edited due to stupid spelchucker.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    OchEye said:

fitalass said:

Ironic post of the day award.

• Options
    OchEye said:

fitalass said:

Corbyn may know parliament, but he has no experience of the levers of government power. That's not a dealbreaker for me personally, but I really don't think his experience is a plus in that direction at least. Presenting as the outsider who will mix things up, because of his lack of 'establishment' experience, seems a better fit than playing up 'this guy knows the dark secrets of political power just like the other guys'.

As for being underestimated, I was one of those who thought Labour should have gone harder as anti-austerity, not because I think it is a good idea - I didn't and don't, the cutting back on cutting back, as it were, is something of a failure of GO in my view - but because I thought the wider public would be amenable to that message.

I was, however, wrong. Maybe the public don't care as much about restricting spending like the Tories claim to want to do, so an anti-austerity message might work to some extent, but a significant proportion also seem to, contradictorily, regard a failure to at least make those kind of noises as signalling a lack of economic credibility.

Finally, I do not see how one can claim that Corbyn is attuned to the majority attitude - if he was, why has his faction within Labour not been preeminent and won elections, or even come close? Parties do their best to reflect what the public want, or else they cannot win, and so if Corbyn's views were anything close to what the public want he'd not have spent all this time on the backbenches.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2015
    notme said:

OchEye said:

fitalass said:

2 million jobs would say otherwise. GO never really practiced austerity. Spending £80 billion more than you take in in tax is not austerity, its profligacy. But at least he's hoping to reduce that profligacy.
    Austerity is the change from the starting point. From a day zero of May 2010 Osborne has changed things so that next year he takes £100bn more in taxes than he'll be spending - relative to what was inherited.

You can't just pretend there was no inherited situation in 2010.
  • Options
    I think I may have to stand up, in a manner of speaking, for the 'plastic wannabes' of the leadership race. Not because I like that style of politician particularly, but recognising that trends develop for a reason, and if the public did not reward the trending of our political class in a certain direction, it would not have happened.

Ergo, we hear a lot of complaints about our bland, cautious, identikit, party automaton, professional, youngish politicians - they're all the same, they have no experience outside politics, they speak in focus group language, etc etc - and I share in a lot of that, but a lot of the time it seems if we get prominent MPs who are older, or atypical. things don't often go as well for them in terms of aiming for the top jobs. People like the more individualistic, unfiltered MPs more, but for party leaders who will appeal as widely as possible, Mr and Mrs Blandy seem to be the order of the day in present times.

Maybe that will begin to change, people will react against the prevailing type at some point and maybe we are seeing signs of it, but really, the politicians were just giving us what we wanted - safe and nonthreatening.
  • Options

notme said:

OchEye said:

fitalass said:

Austerity is the change from the starting point. From a day zero of May 2010 Osborne has changed things so that next year he takes £100bn more in taxes than he'll be spending - relative to what was inherited.

So the UK government bailed out the (let's be honest here, criminal) banks and financial sectors, the Labour government nearly succeeds in recovery. DC and Go lie their way into a coalition and manage to waste 5 years in perpetuating a myth of Austerity?
  • Options
    Pretty much the only preGE2010 category in which LibDem MPs dramatically overachieved was the number of anti-Semites.
    Plato said:

GE2010 How many LD MPs filled the absent categories, that'd be instructive.

GeoffM said:

AndyJS said:

Lib Dem MP diversity

Females 0
    BME 0
    Under forty years old 0
    LGBT 0
    Unmarried 0
    Childless 0

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    notme said:

GO never really practiced austerity. Spending £80 billion more than you take in in tax is not austerity, its profligacy. But at least he's hoping to reduce that profligacy.

Some on here have been criticized by Tories for questioning the rate at which Osborne has reduced the deficit - that is to say the Tories think Osborne has been cutting as fast as he can without risking the economic recovery.

Personally I think Osborne could have gone further and earlier and it would probably have needed tax rises (though I guess there was an election and all that entails). But I'm confident that if things go wrong in the next few years, it will be because we haven't got rid of the deficit.

In theory that should leave Labour with nowhere to go as they have been, in my opinion, living in cloud cuckoo land with respect to the deficit. But then again the Tories weren't exactly shouting from the rooftops that Brown was spending too much and it didn't stop them from winning in 2010.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

notme said:

OchEye said:

fitalass said:

So the UK government bailed out the (let's be honest here, criminal) banks and financial sectors, the Labour government nearly succeeds in recovery. DC and Go lie their way into a coalition and manage to waste 5 years in perpetuating a myth of Austerity?
    If austerity is a myth, it is one all sides have participated in (hence making it even more unlikely to be a myth) - after all, if there has not been austerity, it cannot have been purely a Cameron and Osborne perpetuated myth, since Labour just spent five years telling us how hard the pair have been cutting services to the bone and then some with their cutting.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

notme said:

GO never really practiced austerity. Spending £80 billion more than you take in in tax is not austerity, its profligacy. But at least he's hoping to reduce that profligacy.

Some on here have been criticized by Tories for questioning the rate at which Osborne has reduced the deficit - that is to say the Tories think Osborne has been cutting as fast as he can without risking the economic recovery.

Personally I think Osborne could have gone further and earlier and it would probably have needed tax rises (though I guess there was an election and all that entails). But I'm confident that if things go wrong in the next few years, it will be because we haven't got rid of the deficit.

In theory that should leave Labour with nowhere to go as they have been, in my opinion, living in cloud cuckoo land with respect to the deficit. But then again the Tories weren't exactly shouting from the rooftops that Brown was spending too much and it didn't stop them from winning in 2010.
    Interesting point, but they didn't win a majority, they had (as the SNP thought in 2007) tnthe plastic bendy cards of the LibDems to bail them out