Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guardian ICM phone poll sees the Tories down 3 and the Lib

Comments

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    People don't give two hoots for balanced budgets.

People who don't mind their children and grandchildren paying their bills and the interest on them for all eternity don't, I grant you.

There are plenty of people who take a different view, I would suggest.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @hmtreasury: Next year’s Budget will take place on Wednesday 18 March, Chancellor @George_Osborne has announced #Budget15
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539
    Plato said:

John Rentoul @JohnRentoul
    Great chart of public sector job losses & private sector job gains by @TomMcTague dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2… pic.twitter.com/k1yN1Y4uGG

From that article:
    "Households feel more optimistic about family budgets than at any time over the last six years, a report says.

The seasonally adjusted Markit Household Finance Index measure of financial well-being for the next 12 months climbed to a record 51.6 in December, from 50.3 last month, as inflation fell and concerns about job security eased.

A level over 50 separates pessimism from optimism.

By region, the brightest assessment of household finances came in the East Midlands, while pessimism was most pronounced in the North East"

A very different picture from Ipsos Mori, the exact opposite in fact.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    They lost. They should just get over it.

• Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    A completely insane move by the Tories to sue over some bloody leaflets. Just looks like sour grapes and brings their defeat back into the news.

Baffling.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    Scott_P said:

@hmtreasury: Next year’s Budget will take place on Wednesday 18 March, Chancellor @George_Osborne has announced #Budget15

Last chance. He's not been known for winning the narrative wars before though, given that pasty-gate nonsense and all that.
  • Options
    Oh Tories. Now what? They get no credit if it's withdrawn, and continued mockery it they continue on.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    taffys said:

People don't give two hoots for balanced budgets.

People who don't mind their children and grandchildren paying their bills and the interest on them for all eternity don't, I grant you.

There are plenty of people who take a different view, I would suggest.

Ben is quite right (I never thought I'd write that), except of course he is not accurate. If he had written "Some, and a growing number of, people" he would have nailed it.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    Bobajob_ said:

Interesting to see the effect of the Autumn Statement on the polling: Ozzy has a poor record of delivering statements to the house. Most of them unravel within 24 hours. You could argue that this was worse than the fabled omnishambles budget as it is closer to the election. Certainly the IFS critique cut through and proved damaging for the government, after sycophantic coverage from much of the press.

Explain how this statement 'unravelled' then? if you mean scaremongering from the IFS then if you are interested in truth, maybe you should look to other commentary.

''So a better measure of the squeeze on day-to-day spending is public sector current expenditure, which is mainly the spending on public services. This also needs to come down, to 32.7% of GDP to eliminate the deficit and 31.9% to achieve a 1% surplus. You also have to go back into history for times when this measure of spending was this low. It was 32.4% in 1973-4 and 31.1% in 1972-3. The economy, by the way, is roughly 2.5 times the size it was then.
    Is it pie in the sky to think such numbers can be achieved? Does it mean, as Paul Johnson of the Institute for Fiscal Studies says, “spending cuts on a colossal scale” and the smallest state for generations?
    I bow to nobody in my respect for the IFS but I think that is overstating it. Public spending on this measure has come down from its peak of 40% of GDP in 2009-10 to an estimated 36.9% this year and a projected 36% in 2015-16. Reducing it further, by just over three percentage points of GDP to eliminate the deficit, will be very hard but it is not impossible.''
    http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/002066.html#more

Johnson has regularly criticised stamp duty and the Chancellor has actually reformed it as he suggested. And previously according the The Telegraph anyway, the IFS has argued the public sector cuts 'are not as radical as the Chancellor believes'. Now it says the opposite.

If you are representative of the public and only taking in the headlines the BBC feeds you then that might explain things. It was another Smith, Norman Smith of the BBC who threw out some quite pathetic comments like 'Road to Wigan Pier' on the news.
    Perversly the critics of Osborne are happy to use %ages and ignore the 6 fold growth in GDP since the 30's but criticise Osborne for saying the deficit has been haled in %age GDP terms. They also ignore the large component of capital (ie pulic authority) spending that was part of spending in the 1930s and 70's which is now in private hands.
  • Options
    Bobajob_ said:

A completely insane move by the Tories to sue over some bloody leaflets. Just looks like sour grapes and brings their defeat back into the news.

Baffling.

Keeping Reckless & the agent tied up in the Small Claims Court has no downside?

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited December 2014
    Obviously very disappointing poll for Con. But ICM has bounced around quite a bit - ICM Lab leads:

Aug - 7
    Sep - 2
    Oct - 4
    Nov - 1
    Dec - 5

Looking at the polls as a whole there is no evidence that the Autumn Statement has moved things - YouGov is polling 5 days a week and no discernible change.

As usual everyone on here is thinking the public is following the minutiae of what politicians are saying - they aren't. 95% of people won't have the faintest idea about any figures in the Autumn Statement.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Ah yes, don't like the findings = rubbish the poll

It does appear to be at odds with much of the other polling.

We know the Lib Dems have been decimated at nearly all by elections, so do the 10% of seats where they are likely to be in contention = 14% of the GB vote ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh Tories. Now what? They get no credit if it's withdrawn, and continued mockery it they continue on.
    I think it is more pour encourager les autres for any other potential defectors

Personally I wouldn't have done it.

But a few people have lost their faculties when it comes to the traitorous pig dog defector.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    SP HOC Debate..
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

They lost. They should just get over it.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    I am just getting fed up with this.....

The deputy Labour leader was speaking to voters with foreign backgrounds in her Southwark constituency

Helping hand: Harriet Harman gives some advice to one of her Muslim constituents

Harriet Harman has praised ‘heroic’ immigrants who claim welfare payments in Britain and use the cash to support families living abroad. She said the Government should make it easier for them to send the money home and called for tax refunds to encourage more immigrants to follow suit, in particular those who paid for their children to be educated in the Third World.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337876/Harman-praises-hero-immigrants-send-welfare-handouts-home.html#ixzz3MASPLzw7
  • Options

kle4 said:

But a few people have lost their faculties when it comes to the traitorous pig dog defector.
    Well, it's a better reaction than the standard reaction to UKIP from the Tories before the defections, which was to pretty much wish them well, in an understated fashion, no matter how much UKIP said they hated the Tories now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I see "Scribbler" is getting free advertising from the Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2876736/Obscene-cards-sully-message-Christmas-Sexual-profane-anti-Christian-messages-display-children.html

I'll probably go to card factory.

I liked the Santa L. Jackson one :)
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Moses_ said:

The deputy Labour leader was speaking to voters with foreign backgrounds in her Southwark constituency

Helping hand: Harriet Harman gives some advice to one of her Muslim constituents

Harriet Harman has praised ‘heroic’ immigrants who claim welfare payments in Britain and use the cash to support families living abroad. She said the Government should make it easier for them to send the money home and called for tax refunds to encourage more immigrants to follow suit, in particular those who paid for their children to be educated in the Third World.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1337876/Harman-praises-hero-immigrants-send-welfare-handouts-home.html#ixzz3MASPLzw7

That's a weird one. I'm in favour of the international aid budget myself, if we could spend it more effectively (eg, none to places with space programmed), but what is wrong with wanting welfare money to remain here? Even if it's fine, why would we want to create tax refunds like she suggests?
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

It would be better if it was their own hard-earned money they sent back.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Well, it's a better reaction than the standard reaction to UKIP from the Tories before the defections, which was to pretty much wish them well, in an understated fashion, no matter how much UKIP said they hated the Tories now.
    I'm taking a six week sabbatical from work next April and May so I can focus on PB and campaign in Rochester to destroy Reckless.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Moses_ said:

Eh? An article from 2010?
  • Options

From that article:
    "Households feel more optimistic about family budgets than at any time over the last six years, a report says.

The seasonally adjusted Markit Household Finance Index measure of financial well-being for the next 12 months climbed to a record 51.6 in December, from 50.3 last month, as inflation fell and concerns about job security eased.

By region, the brightest assessment of household finances came in the East Midlands, while pessimism was most pronounced in the North East"

Ipsos have only 30% believing the economy will deteriorate.

70% expect no change (which may be a positive response) or an improvement.

It's also the case that some may feel a change of government would be a threat. That's the Tory election gambit.

• Options

SP HOC Debate..

• Options
    MikeL said:

Obviously very disappointing poll for Con. But ICM has bounced around quite a bit - ICM Lab leads:

Aug - 7
    Sep - 2
    Oct - 4
    Nov - 1
    Dec - 5

Looking at the polls as a whole there is no evidence that the Autumn Statement has moved things - YouGov is polling 5 days a week and no discernible change.

As usual everyone on here is thinking the public is following the minutiae of what politicians are saying - they aren't. 95% of people won't have the faintest idea about any figures in the Autumn Statement.

Pretty much correct in all you are saying here.
    I do not see labour on 33 as being any good at all for them. The govt parties are on 42. What looks interesting if the poll can be regarded as stable - which your figures do not - is that LDs are doing better than Tories out of that share. I do not see LD to Labour defectors coming back, so is this right or centrist leaning LDs returning? Will these people vote for Tories in tactical situations rather than Labour? Will this and left leaning tory votes prop up the LDs?
    It cerainly looks like UKIP hurts Tories. Its what Labour will be relying on in England.
  • Options

Bobajob_ said:

Baffling.

Keeping Reckless & the agent tied up in the Small Claims Court has no downside?

A Reckless Challenge?
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    chestnut said:

From that article:

It's also the case that some may feel a change of government would be a threat. That's the Tory election gambit.

Maybe now we're so close to the election people can almost feel the yoke of Tory governance being relieved from them - allowing themselves to be more optimistic?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Tories v Reckless - case will probably disappear into the ether about 3.30 on December 24th hidden behind a string of press releases about poor Xmas trade, revised profit expectations, Man United's New Year shopping list and attempt to catch up with Chelsea & City.

Looks like a threat to other defectors or that someone is worried by Dave's party management.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

From that article:

Governments blame any less than positive economic news on events outside their control. People I think are therefore less inclined to attribute good economic news to actions from the government. Not that people will entirely discount the impact of the government of the day, but I don't think it sways people as much. Whether we grow or contract people may see as largely outside government influence, but how well they spend and tax still has some relevance.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,623
    edited December 2014

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm taking a six week sabbatical from work next April and May so I can focus on PB and campaign in Rochester to destroy Reckless.
    Are you going to behead him personally, TSE?

"Enemies of Cameron, go to hell!"

:)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Tories v Reckless - case will probably disappear into the ether about 3.30 on December 24th hidden behind a string of press releases about poor Xmas trade, revised profit expectations, Man United's New Year shopping list and attempt to catch up with Chelsea & City.

Looks like a threat to other defectors or that someone is worried by Dave's party management.

Or panic due to lack of crossover in the polls?
  • Options
    BenM said:

chestnut said:

From that article:

Maybe now we're so close to the election people can almost feel the yoke of Tory governance being relieved from them - allowing themselves to be more optimistic?

I cannot say the Labour yoke is that much more pleasant than the Tory yoke, but people seem to get less angry at Labour for doing the same things as Tories sometimes, so I guess it must be. Perhaps it is cushioned, or at least talks about fairness more often, which makes the yoke ok.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

With that much time to focus on it, I expect there shall be no trace of Reckless left in the constituency by the end, it will be as though he never existed.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Are you going to behead him personally, TSE?

"Enemies of Cameron, go to hell!"

:)
    No. I'm going to make him feel like Hannibal after Zama.

Or Starfleet at the Battle of Wolf 359
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    This time 5 years ago, you wonder how the Lib Dems would've reacted if you told them that 14% would soon be considered an outrageously good poll result for them.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090
    Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Blimey. @gordonrayner says Bookies Coral has suspended betting on Queen abdicating in her Christmas message after rash of bets

That would seem quite out of character, though I guess with other monarchs increasingly doing it and even a Pope doing it, it is at least conceivable HM might reconsider her position.
    hmm. 1/2 for queeny to step down by the end of the year?

I'll lay at that price :)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542999/Windsor-wager-halts-royal-bets-200-stake-placed-Queen-abdicate-year-sees-bookmaker-suspend-market.html

Coral have taken a staggeringly huge wager of.... TWO HUNDRED POUNDS.
    They move on £200, yet...

rethink gambling ‏@rethinkgambling · Dec 15
    .@Coral You took this from a known #gambling #addict on Friday. Anything to say to his children this Christmas? pic.twitter.com/5JIfztXZrL

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,541

kle4 said:

I think it is more pour encourager les autres for any other potential defectors

Personally I wouldn't have done it.

Exactly but actually there is a point to it also - you can't or shouldn't actually lie in your job.

Pledging or seeming to pledge yourself to one party while at the same time conspiring to join another is not good form, especially from the this-time-it's-different party.

Not sure how it would be otherwise but some flagging up of intentions might have been better albeit would and would have been riskier for defectors.
  • Options
    On topic.

I'm glad the Tories aren't peaking too soon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

With that much time to focus on it, I expect there shall be no trace of Reckless left in the constituency by the end, it will be as though he never existed.
    Traitorous pig dogs defectors delenda est
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Didn't you say you were going to campaign against him last time? How did that work out for you?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I presume TSE will be fighting for Screaming Lord Sutch and the Raving Looney Party.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Moses_ said:

We might also wonder whether the Mail provided an entirely accurate summation of her remarks. It is possible that it may have embellished or distorted them. Hard to believe, I know, but the Mail is not always a disinterested aggregator of the news.

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Didn't you say you were going to campaign against him last time? How did that work out for you?
    I was there one day and made sure Reckless' majority was less than forecast.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Margin of error change = "slump"? Lolz.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

On topic.

They have alreday peaked !
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Last chance. He's not been known for winning the narrative wars before though, given that pasty-gate nonsense and all that.
    I'm not at all sure the 2015 budget will have any influence unless it raises taxes for everyone (ie negative). So don't go putting words in peoples mouths.
    I expect if anything it will raise tax allowances, which may be good politics but nothing will come into effect until the following year. Its the changes already announced that begin next April that voters will notice. I expect it to be neutral with little 'give aways'. We are already seeing low inflation and low oil prices. If they continue there is little more 'feel good' the chancellor can do. He would be wise to concentrate on 'debunking' and extolling the virtues of lower govt expenditure.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I was there one day and made sure Reckless' majority was less than forecast.
    Well done, I'm sure it was all down to you.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Labour have had a couple of half decent weeks for the first time in living memory.

Osborne helped a lot by providing a massive hole in his books.
  • Options

BenM said:

Moses_ said:

We might also wonder whether the Mail provided an entirely accurate summation of her remarks. It is possible that it may have embellished or distorted them. Hard to believe, I know, but the Mail is not always a disinterested aggregator of the news.

Surely if the remarks were not true she would have sued them?
  • Options
    BenM said:

Moses_ said:

When did Thatcher leave office?

• Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-11/oil-price-drop-claims-first-wa-victim-red-fork-energy/5962020

US shale oil company bites the dust.

USD down 10% against the Rouble.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Danny565 said:

This time 5 years ago, you wonder how the Lib Dems would've reacted if you told them that 14% would soon be considered an outrageously good poll result for them.

Something we forecast and expected . There were periods in the last parliament when that was also true
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Labour have had a couple of half decent weeks for the first time in living memory.

Osborne helped a lot by providing a massive hole in his books.

People are living the nasty dream. Cons come in after the economy's been malleted and lo, the self-fulfilling prophecy of the ideological state-haters.

No one cares whether or not Lab would have done the same thing to within a billion or two, it turns out that actually 2010 was not the GE to win.

But....but....there will still be a nagging doubt amongst the electorate, IMO, as they trudge towards the polling stations next May...will Lab c*ck it up all over again?...have we been through all this pain only for us to have to go through it again after Lab's tax & spendathon?....Maybe we go with the devil we know who may be harsh but are not putting our sovereignty (in the shape of the bond markets) at risk....
  • Options

On topic.

I think you'll find Peak Tory was 1983!
  • Options
    Given that the words of Harriet 'Harperson' have been invoked from 2010, maybe we should revive the crap pun names threadette:

Your starters for ten:

Ed Milipede
    David Shameron
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    TOPPING said:

Maybe we go with the devil we know who may be harsh but are not putting our sovereignty (in the shape of the bond markets) at risk....

We were downgraded on the Tory watch, breaking a manifesto promise. Not sure they can stoke fear of bond markets in quite the same way again.
  • Options
    Perhaps the Lib Dems differentiation campaign is having some influence on their improved poll results.

However, they need to be careful not to undermine the idea that a coalition government can work effectively through collective responsibility, as do the Conservatives also.
  • Options
    Holiday time.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Garcia resigns from FIFA: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30522170
  • Options
    Interesting poll that according to Electoral Calculus sees the LDs holding 43 seats and UKIP winning zero, both on 14%.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Maybe we go with the devil we know who may be harsh but are not putting our sovereignty (in the shape of the bond markets) at risk....

We were downgraded on the Tory watch, breaking manifesto promise. Not sure they can stoke fear of bond markets in quite the same way again.
    I think that as a currency-issuing sovereign state which talked tough we were, as we have seen, given a large amount of slack. At the end of the day it is and was in our own hands so I don't think default was an option.

But you have to contextualise the times we were in. Relatively grown-up countries were put on credit-watch and debt servicing became significant.

A downgrade, as we have seen in the US, would surely not be decisive but the greater public & private indebtedness gives far less room for manoeuvre.

I think a period of reassuring the markets (I don't hold with those who say they needed no reassuring) and then an investment programme, as we have seen from GO, is a pretty good course of events.

Of course the household deleveraging together with deficit reduction has been painful (arguably the former more than the latter) and that is where the nastiness has kicked in.

Unless you think there is no need to reduce the deficit while maintaining some kind of monetary control?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    TOPPING said:

Unless you think there is no need to reduce the deficit while maintaining some kind of monetary control?

Before the election the Tories claimed that a loss of AAA would be apocalyptic. They claimed that only they could avoid it.

Some people believed them on both counts. They can't spin that line again.

• Options
    @Morris_Dancer

Afternoon, Mr Dancer.

These aren't the Polls you're looking for?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,030
    edited December 2014
    Dr. Prasannan, I commented on ICM being very good for Labour on the previous thread.

Lib Dems appear to be rising as well.

Edited extra bit: not sure it's off-topic, Mr. Eagles :p
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Before the election the Tories claimed that a loss of AAA would be apocalyptic. They claimed that only they could avoid it.

Fair enough.

The tanker couldn't be turned around in time and we lost the rating. Equally, looking at our 10-yr yields vs our deficit when all around Europe it was kicking off with "better" conditions was a surreal experience.

But Lab gave out equally contorted pronouncements:

"We will invest immediately, what is this austerity of which you speak?" And..."We will have to and will cut deeper and further..."

They didn't nail a coherent policy that voters could understand, perhaps because they didn't expect to win and therefore could hedge their bets. But they have the same problem now:

"We will tackle the deficit and increase welfare spending and..."

No one really knows what they will do apart from the fact that it will be inherently "nicer" than what the Cons plan to do because it will be Lab doing it.

And no one likes uncertainty.
  • Options
    ICM December 2009

CON 40%
    LAB 31%
    LD 18%
    OTH 11%

With the notable exception of the LDs this is all MoE for general election the following year. Food for thought.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

On topic.

You are a fan of TWIN PEAKS? After peaks come valleys. ;)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

Er..... The UK still has AAA /stable rating with S&P.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

And the rest...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,942
    edited December 2014
    "What evidence is there of VI shifting much during the campaign?"

I remember an interview with William Hague probably around the 2005 General Election where he said the evidence is that election campaigns don't affect the result. In other words polls taken immediately before an election campaign invariably arrive at the same result as on election day.

I remember posting this just after the 2010 election was called where people were seeing huge rises in the Lib Dem position and sure enough it returned to its starting position on election day.

Why the Tories aren't doing better is a mystery. My guess is that voters suspect they're wolves in sheep's clothing
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

And the rest...
    S&P is the gold standard.....

I can still point to the UKs AAA rating. You lose.

• Options
  • Options

#DryBones - Nail on head. Support the #palestinians and pray those nasty islamists remain in the middle-east. pic.twitter.com/d8Xpb62Q3X

— פטריק פולוק (@redbrasco) December 17, 2014
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

And the rest...
    We wont get AAA back with the others while the threat of a profligate Labour government looms.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Afternoon all :)

On the face of it, an excellent poll for the Liberal Democrats and a thoroughly dreadful one for the Conservatives. As I always say though, ICM is not averse to throwing out some outlier numbers for one or two parties (remember UKIP at 8%) so this could very easily be in that mode.

Being around or below 30% is hardly comfortable for the Conservatives barely four months before Polling Day but it's not of course irretrievable. The duopoly number of 61 sits in marked contrast to Populus on Monday at 70 so make of that what you will.

On these numbers the LD-CON swing is negligible though the LD-LAB swing is a healthy (from a Labour perspective) 6.5%. A 6% CON-LAB swing will carry many marginal Conservative seats as well though the presence of UKIP at a respectable 14% complicates matters somewhat. Even on these numbers, the duopoly wins the overwhelming majority of seats in England and Wales.

There were those forecasting a 10% CON lead by Christmas - perhaps in Witney, Beaconsfield and Surrey East but seemingly not nationally.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

And the rest...

Shame the Tories didn't make the same qualifications when they claimed "We will maintain that AAA rating."

They failed, we all lost.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

And the rest...

Shame the Tories didn't make the same qualifications when they claimed "We will maintain that AAA rating."

They failed, we all lost.
    Your argument is weak. Now go away and enjoy Christmas.

• Options
    Roger said:

Why the Tories aren't doing better is a mystery. My guess is that voters suspect they're wolves in sheep's clothing

That and the fact they are a bit rubbish. Pain for no real gain. Promised to eradicate the deficit, delivered sweet FA. Five wasted years.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,996

Danny565 said:

Something we forecast and expected . There were periods in the last parliament when that was also true
    The LibDems were polling comfortably above 14% for most of the last Parliament, barring occasional polls.

Post-election in 2005, the party was on 18% or better. There's a single 13% in 2006. There was a period around when Menzies resigned as party leader where polls slumped: most of October 2007 was below 14%, with three polls on as low as 11%. That wasn't for a very long period though. November polls ranged from 13-21%; December polls ranged from 14-18%.

Late 2008 has a smattering of poorer polls. There was a 12% in September, then twice in November, plus an 11% in December, but those were the bottom of a range. By 2009, 14% is the lowest in the whole year, and everything in the second half of the year is 16% or above. A rogue 15% is the worst in 2010.

So, while the LibDems were below 14% in polls in the last Parliament on some occasions, 14% could never have been described as "outrageously good", with the possible exception of a month around Ming going.

This new perspective on poll performances hasn't only come for the LibDems though. In much of the last Parliament, the leading party was in the high 30s or low 40s. The idea that 33% would put you in the lead would have been very strange for most of that period.
  • Options

On topic.

I'm not convinced that Labour are going to ride on a successful crest of misinformation by trying to pretend that the tories are intent on returning us to an era of rickets and diphtheria.
    And in 2000-01 govt spending as %age of GDP was - 35%

In real terms (2011 prices) govt spending has grown from just over 200 billion in 1968 to just under 700 billion in 2011. But the economy had grown nearly 3-fold since then. Can Labour get away with pretending things like that do not happen? If this is the cause of current polls then this is the issue betting people have to consider.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Historical note:

ICM Dec 1986
    Con 39, Lab 38, Lib 21

GE Jun 1987
    Con 43, Lab 32, Lib 23

The Con vote did not move above 40% until May 1987. The Labour vote fell steeply from Jan to Mar and stayed broadly flat through to polling day.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

That and the fact they are a bit rubbish. Pain for no real gain. Promised to eradicate the deficit, delivered sweet FA. Five wasted years.
    Labour wasted 13
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Roger said:

I remember an interview with William Hague probably around the 2005 General Election where he said the evidence is that election campaigns don't affect the result. In other words polls taken immediately before an election campaign invariably arrive at the same result as on election day.

I remember posting this just after the 2010 election was called where people were seeing huge rises in the Lib Dem position and sure enough it returned to its starting position on election day.

The idea that 2010 would produce a 40-30-20 result (Con-Lab-LD) fitted with the narrative of polling since 2007 and the onset of the financial crisis.

I do think the increased publicity for Clegg made a small difference to the final outcome - I remember a poll on the Monday after the election was called showing 39-31-18 so the LDs gained a small shift from both parties from the campaign and the debates but nothing as dramatic as the first debate suggested.

The campaign this time, given the presence of Nigel Farage, is much harder to read. The view of some on here seems to be that as soon as people see Ed Miliband up close, they'll recoil. Perhaps but Cameron has some difficult questions to answer on the Government's record and especially in the key area of immigration which will be meat and drink to Farage.

I honestly don't know what's going to happen but I believe we can throw the form book out of the window as this will be a new game compared to what has gone before.

• Options
    Roger said:

So now you're against cross dressing. I sometimes doubt you're a metropolitan lefties luvvie at all.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    The most important issues to voters seems to be immigration & the economy

David Cameron made an explicit promise to reduce net migration to the tens of thousands before the last election with the sign off...

"If we don't deliver, kick us out in 5 years time"

The number is no less than it was five years ago, and today the headlines about immigration are the failure of the home office to deport even 1% of illegal immigrants

George Osborne said he would get rid of the deficit and rubbished Labour plan to reduce it by 50%

He has reduced it by 50%

At the AS people were praising GO for a great piece of politics... he hadn't done what he said he would, but he had made it look like he had..

Well people don't seem to have been deceived by the smoke and mirrors... and they are fed up of "clever politics" as much as I as an Arsenal supporter get fed up of clever football while we draw at home to Hull

There is no need to look that much further into it. Petty squabbling over minor details cant hide the bigger picture, that being that promises made have been broken
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Labour wasted 13
    A new low for the big two Alan: "we wasted fewer years than you did!"
  • Options

On topic.

I'm not convinced that Labour are going to ride on a successful crest of misinformation by trying to pretend that the tories are intent on returning us to an era of rickets and diphtheria.
    And in 2000-01 govt spending as %age of GDP was - 35%

In real terms (2011 prices) govt spending has grown from just over 200 billion in 1968 to just under 700 billion in 2011. But the economy had grown nearly 3-fold since then. Can Labour get away with pretending things like that do not happen? If this is the cause of current polls then this is the issue betting people have to consider.
    Peak Labour was 1997.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, you don't think the eurozone sovereign debt crisis affected the economic situation over the course of the Parliament?
  • Options
    Bobajob_ said:

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

Labour wasted 13
    A new low for the big two Alan: "we wasted fewer years than you did!"
    You off form Bob ?

I would have expected at least an 18 wasted years of Thatcherism back from you ;-)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    dr_spyn said:

Plato said:

John Rentoul @JohnRentoul
    Good graphic: the "reach" of parties across the left-right spectrum, by @Chris_Challis justqcharley.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/the-re… pic.twitter.com/Edmbo83ONN

I wonder how a plot on a radar chart would highlight where parties differ on a range of issues.
    Electoral Compass (strictly, an xy-graph but from what I recall, complex numbers can be xy graphs or polar coordinates ...)

• Options
    Aren't most ordinary people buying Xmas presents and going on Xmas bashes at the moment?

I doubt that very much political has been going in for a week or two.

The polls really don't look wildly different to a few weeks ago, except ICM.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Roger said:

A bit rubbish, unless the electorate are as ignorant as you.
    The tories promised to eliminate the structural deficit. Its cutting spending to do that.
    The government made a clear choice in the face of the Euro crisis to delay its programme for 2 years. If you are not happy about that what more would you cut?
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Aren't most ordinary people buying Xmas presents and going on Xmas bashes at the moment?

Oh I thought these polls were bad for the Tories because they were carried out for left wing papers?

But it's because its Christmas...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Or panic due to lack of crossover in the polls?
    LD/UKIP crossover almost there, but what happened to Tory/Lab crossover, it's going the wrong way.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Pong said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Blimey. @gordonrayner says Bookies Coral has suspended betting on Queen abdicating in her Christmas message after rash of bets

That would seem quite out of character, though I guess with other monarchs increasingly doing it and even a Pope doing it, it is at least conceivable HM might reconsider her position.
    hmm. 1/2 for queeny to step down by the end of the year?

I'll lay at that price :)
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2542999/Windsor-wager-halts-royal-bets-200-stake-placed-Queen-abdicate-year-sees-bookmaker-suspend-market.html

Coral have taken a staggeringly huge wager of.... TWO HUNDRED POUNDS.
    They move on £200, yet...

rethink gambling ‏@rethinkgambling · Dec 15
    .@Coral You took this from a known #gambling #addict on Friday. Anything to say to his children this Christmas? pic.twitter.com/5JIfztXZrL

Now if the Queen Mother was still alive ........
  • Options

Mr. Isam, you don't think the eurozone sovereign debt crisis affected the economic situation over the course of the Parliament?

Oh I thought you were joking!

Sorry

To the man in the street three big promises were made by the Coalition parties

Cut net migration
    Eliminate the deficit
    Scrap tuition fees

None have been made good on. Whatever the reason it just looks like slippery politicians making excuses
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    stodge said:

The campaign this time, given the presence of Nigel Farage, is much harder to read.

I think the biggest issue yet to be determined is just how "present" Farage will be - ie will OFCOM give UKIP major party status?

For as many GEs as I can remember the coverage rules have been 5/5/4.

If UKIP doesn't get major party status, what will it be - 5/5/4/? 1? 2?

If UKIP does get major party status will it be 5/5/4/4? or maybe 5/5/3/3?

In my view this is the single biggest issue yet to be determined which will affect the result.
  • Options
    isam said:

chestnut said:

Oh I thought these polls were bad for the Tories because they were carried out for left wing papers?

But it's because its Christmas...
    "IT'S CHRISTMAS!"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Roger said:

A bit rubbish, unless the electorate are as ignorant as you.
    The tories promised to eliminate the structural deficit. Its cutting spending to do that.
    The government made a clear choice in the face of the Euro crisis to delay its programme for 2 years. If you are not happy about that what more would you cut?
    Tories used to take responsibility. In this parliament they have blamed the opposition, the Euro and even the weather. Never themselves.

The simple fact is they promised to cut the deficit, they rubbished alternative plans as being inadequate. The fact they have failed to match the plans they rubbished should be hung around their neck during the election campaign.

This discussion has been closed.