Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sausage Party Conference – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited September 24 in General
Sausage Party Conference – politicalbetting.com

Clearly Lord Alli needs to spend more money on the glasses he donates to Starmer so Starmer can read the teleprompter. https://t.co/nGCYtL1YPB

Read the full story here

Comments

• ScarpiaScarpia Posts: 58
    Pork or beef?
  • Banger.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380

Banger.

Everyone mashes their words once in a while...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    FPT

Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Does anyone have fond memories of the early 1990s?

First girlfriend? Does that count?
    It was my favourite period musically. My most listened-to musical period is still 1990-1992. The Pixies and the Wedding Present were still extant and baggy was in its heyday.

Actually, ages 14-17 were a really good period of my life - I was starting to interact with girls and alcoholic drinks and other things I could do with my emerging freedom. It wasn't that the times were better than they are now, objectively; it was that the trajectory with which each year was better than the last was so good. And that, my friends, is the real key to happiness.

First year at Uni (1991-92). First girlfriend including you know. Played rugby for Uni first team including playing London Irish U21's, came top in year, learned to drive and acquired a first car, Swindon an established second tier team.

Hell yes I remember the early 90's fondly.
    Heh, that's another PB age surprise for me - I'd have put you a similar age to me, i.e. ten years younger!
    I'm old. Having a son at 50 is ok in theory but I wonder if its much easier when you are younger...
    I'm old too. I remember going to my great grandmother's 90th birthday party in 1950. She was fiercely Irish with a shillelagh on the wall and played the fiddle. She was born in 1860.

She was born the year that Abraham Lincoln was elected President just before the American Civil War. And I knew her and remember her. I've told my grandchildren so that in 2060, they can say my grandfather remembered etc etc.
    I have a weird fascination with chains of connection such as that. How few people who actually met could you get back to say Roman Britain? Or 1066?
    I am two people away from The Duke of Wellington. My Grandmother died in 2014. Her Grandfather was a boot boy for the Duke.
    Your great, great grandfather was the original Wellington Boot Boy ?
    FPT
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

What do we think of Harris's husband getting paid $250k for a campaign speech ?

By UK standards - a disgrace
    By US standards - why so little?
    A good first question is - Who is paying him that ?
    No one. He does it for nothing.

It was actually Melania; I just wanted to see what the reaction would be.
    Naughty, Nigel. I actually googled it and only came up with stories about Melania.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    As gaffes go, it was on a level of the set falling apart when TMay did it - i.e. could happen to anyone, but will be replayed ad infinitum. Unlucky, SKS. Still, it enlivened a predictably turgid section about the Middle East in which the leader of the Labour Party pretends it is of any consequence how Israel and its neighbours treat each other.
    Nigelb said:

FPT

Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

It was my favourite period musically. My most listened-to musical period is still 1990-1992. The Pixies and the Wedding Present were still extant and baggy was in its heyday.

Actually, ages 14-17 were a really good period of my life - I was starting to interact with girls and alcoholic drinks and other things I could do with my emerging freedom. It wasn't that the times were better than they are now, objectively; it was that the trajectory with which each year was better than the last was so good. And that, my friends, is the real key to happiness.

First year at Uni (1991-92). First girlfriend including you know. Played rugby for Uni first team including playing London Irish U21's, came top in year, learned to drive and acquired a first car, Swindon an established second tier team.

Heh, that's another PB age surprise for me - I'd have put you a similar age to me, i.e. ten years younger!
    I'm old. Having a son at 50 is ok in theory but I wonder if its much easier when you are younger...
    I'm old too. I remember going to my great grandmother's 90th birthday party in 1950. She was fiercely Irish with a shillelagh on the wall and played the fiddle. She was born in 1860.

She was born the year that Abraham Lincoln was elected President just before the American Civil War. And I knew her and remember her. I've told my grandchildren so that in 2060, they can say my grandfather remembered etc etc.
    I have a weird fascination with chains of connection such as that. How few people who actually met could you get back to say Roman Britain? Or 1066?
    I am two people away from The Duke of Wellington. My Grandmother died in 2014. Her Grandfather was a boot boy for the Duke.
    Hey, I totally did this joke already on the last thread! :smile:
  • Cookie said:

As gaffes go, it was on a level of the set falling apart when TMay did it - i.e. could happen to anyone, but will be replayed ad infinitum. Unlucky, SKS. Still, it enlivened a predictably turgid section about the Middle East in which the leader of the Labour Party pretends it is of any consequence how Israel and its neighbours treat each other.

Big difference. This is (mildly) funny. May's elicited sympathy which is far worse.
    If we're still around by then, the electoral college is going to look very different by the end of the decade. The Democrats will need to take either Texas or Florida, everything else being equal.

As people talk about the path to 270 this year, worth remembering that by 2032 (two elections away) the path could look very different thanks to the next reapportionment.
    https://x.com/mcpli/status/1838216648773325294
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

Banger.

Only for those with a chipolata on their shoulder.
  • ScarpiaScarpia Posts: 58
    edited September 24
    To be charitable to Starmzy, he might have been still trying to mentally process the implications of his major donor's demand for all-vegetarian school meals.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    Reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre while on holiday. Highly recommend it.
  • FossFoss Posts: 894

Clearly Starmer was on a roll when he mentioned sausages.

If they cut the meat content any further we'll end up having to implement the eurosausage.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited September 24
    On the subject of politicians receiving gifts.

"Singapore’s former transport minister pleads guilty to receiving gifts" (£)

https://www.ft.com/content/e829ffc7-9475-4e4c-ba8f-04da0fd015c4
  • . . . so nice I'm posting it twice . . .

Interesting article in NYT today re: Nebraska - NOT a daily occurence!

Subject is failure of Trump lobbying effort, spearheaded by . . . wait for it . . . Lindsey Graham, to get a fillibuster-proof super-majority of legislators in Nebraska's unicameral legislature, to pass legislation making the Cornhusker State winner-take-all for POTUS electoral college voting. Instead of awarding three EVs on congressional district basis, which resulted in Obama winning the Omaha CD in 2008 and Biden in 2020.

Reason for MAGA failure due to refusal of key NB legislator to go along, a senator (all members of officially non-partisan Unicameral are styled suchlike) from Omaha who is a former Democrat now Republican, who's term-limited AND gearing up to run for mayor of Big O.
  • Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

How's about THIS one . . . WHICH of the DoW's boots - left or right?
    Selebian said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Naughty, Nigel. I actually googled it and only came up with stories about Melania.
    Harris/Walz campaign finance chair:

This is truly crazy. Imagine if HRC paid Jill Biden or Michelle Obama $237,500 to speak at their dinners…. The entire board would be fired.

I have never once paid (beyond expenses/travel costs etc which we have to do legally) a speaker for any political event I have ever done.

https://x.com/rufusgifford/status/1838254612823842911

I think it speaks to how much standards have been lowered, that everyone thought this was normal now in the US.
  • FPT

The classic of the genre was previously shared on here.

“My husband’s first wife’s first husband knew Oliver Cromwell—and liked him well.”

https://www.charlesholloway.co.uk/2010/09/a-theory-of-relativity/

In 2003, I met a centenarian who remembered her sailor grandfather telling her about taking supplies to the troops. In the Crimean War.
  • Starmer must be praying that this is the wurst thing that happens.
  • Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

This is truly crazy. Imagine if HRC paid Jill Biden or Michelle Obama $237,500 to speak at their dinners…. The entire board would be fired.

I have never once paid (beyond expenses/travel costs etc which we have to do legally) a speaker for any political event I have ever done.

I think it speaks to how much standards have been lowered, that everyone thought this was normal now in the US.
    When SC judges are freely allowed to take cash from people they rule on it is hard to get excited about Melania grifting. One only has so much contempt to spare for what is after all a foreign country.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

FPT

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

When SC judges are freely allowed to take cash from people they rule on it is hard to get excited about Melania grifting. One only has so much contempt to spare for what is after all a foreign country.
    I’ve long thought that the USA was unjustified in claiming to be a democracy, and sanctimonious in criticising other states which they felt fell short.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446
    Nigelb said:

If we're still around by then, the electoral college is going to look very different by the end of the decade. The Democrats will need to take either Texas or Florida, everything else being equal.

As people talk about the path to 270 this year, worth remembering that by 2032 (two elections away) the path could look very different thanks to the next reapportionment.

Winning Georgia or North Carolina would be enough, I think.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,848
    Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

You snooze, you lose
    Just turned the cricket back on. England 18-2

Not good.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    edited September 24
    I didn't pick it up but my wife who had come in from the garden and said she had heard the BBC report that Starmer had mispronounced hostages as sausages

It seems it must have resonated for the BBC to be reporting it
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,723
    Oh Starmer, you silly sausage....
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Just turned the cricket back on. England 18-2

Not good.

Not the best of starts, is it?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,966
    Poor Keith...
    My wife used to visit a lady in old folks home whose father was a cobbler for Queen Victoria.

Selebian said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

How's about THIS one . . . WHICH of the DoW's boots - left or right?
    Wasn’t that the old story about Uxbridge?

A young man met Uxbridge at an event and noticed that he only had one leg. He enquired of a friend what had happened to be told that Uxbridge had lost his leg at Waterloo.

“oh,” he replied. “Which platform?”
    An uncle of mine lost a leg in the battle for Normandy. Come the Suez emergency came along he was called up for a medical, so took his prosthetic one off and turned up on crutches.
    The language from the sergeant at the medical centre was, apparently, ripe!
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

That’s offal.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521
    edited September 24
    Very interesting report released today by Skills England (a new quango) on what the issues are, how it will work with the Industry Strategy Council and the Migration Advisory Council, interaction with the combined authorities.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/66f19f7975446d60123ee2e3/Skills_England_report.pdf

If this works well it could be an game changer on productivity.

Skills England is a new arms-length body to tackle skills shortages and support sustained economic growth.

This report includes:

the role of Skills England
    skills challenges limiting economic growth and barriers to opportunity
    an initial analysis of current and future skills needs, including which occupations are high in demand

boulay said:

That’s offal.
    I know - utter tripe...

My wife used to visit a lady in old folks home whose father was a cobbler for Queen Victoria.

Both my grandfathers were born in the 19th Century, one in 1862.

Starmer must be praying that this is the wurst thing that happens.

It has been the year of brat...

Nigelb said:

Probably, but there's some uncertainty about the projection, and you'd like a margin for error.
  • My wife used to visit a lady in old folks home whose father was a cobbler for Queen Victoria.

WHY am I thinking of Al Bundy???
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 568

FPT

“My husband’s first wife’s first husband knew Oliver Cromwell—and liked him well.”

In 2003, I met a centenarian who remembered her sailor grandfather telling her about taking supplies to the troops. In the Crimean War.
    The fact that amazes me is that the grandson of President John Tyler (born 1790) is still alive:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Ruffin_Tyler
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Starmer must be praying that this is the wurst thing that happens.

It has been the year of brat...
    Salami tactics from Starmer.
    No, they don't.

Trump: California, they have blackouts and brownouts every single day.
    https://x.com/Acyn/status/1838311444015911269

This is like Starmer saying "Where's John Timpson ?"

Trump demands that NBC bring back Johnny Carson. "Where's Johnny? Bring back Johnny." Johnny Carson died in 2005.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    edited September 24
    Nigelb said:

No, they don't.

Trump demands that NBC bring back Johnny Carson. "Where's Johnny? Bring back Johnny." Johnny Carson died in 2005.

Note that re-runs of old (now approaching ancient) Johnny Carson "Tonight" shows can be viewed EVERY WEEKNIGHT via one of the national "El Cheapo" broadcast TV channels.

Were he still with us, Johnny would have LOTS of funny ragging on Donald Trump, the same way he did with Ronald Reagan . . .

ADDENDUM - Note that standard "Tonight" show entro for Carson, delivered by his long-time sidekick Ed McMahon, was "Heeeeeere's Johhhhhnny!"
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Impressive but a long way to go to beat this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-two-of-president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive/#textNearly2017520years20later2C20twowas20sworn20in20as20president
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 568
    Taz said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-two-of-president-john-tylers-grandsons-are-still-alive/#textNearly2017520years20later2C20twowas20sworn20in20as20president
    It also just occurred to me that if David Jason's youngest daughter lives an average lifespan she'll be able to watch her father in TV programmes he recorded 100 years ago.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    Starmer having the piss royally ripped out of him on twitter.

This, from,the Sinnerman, is funny for those of us of a certain generation.

https://x.com/paulybengali/status/1838589873764065613?s=61
  • One of the pleasures of viewing re-runs of old US comedy TV shows from decades ago, are the not-infrequent Donald Trump jokes.

He was truly a national laughing stock back in the day! So who's laughing now?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    Nigelb said:

No, they don't.

Isn't it Texas that has the electricity issues?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,505
    Two Tier Kier, Kier Starmer Pension Harmer, Sir Kier Sausage…

That gaffe today is the least of his worries electorally I would say.
    edited September 24
    My neighbour up north that had a huge "buy Scottish pork" poster in his field is going to be delighted. I literally cannot stop thinking about sausages.

(Not smart given the Judaism context, but if Labour are going after the farming vote...)
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Yes:

BUT ARE THEY PORK SAUSAGES???

We need to be told
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,022
    edited September 24

And mine

And my daughter has traced the English side of the family through marriage records to 1522 in the Cotswolds
  • rcs1000 said:

Yes:

We need to be told

No, they're vegan sausages.

And everyone is going to have to eat them.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Very interesting report released today by Skills England (a new quango) on what the issues are, how it will work with the Industry Strategy Council and the Migration Advisory Council, interaction with the combined authorities.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/66f19f7975446d60123ee2e3/Skills_England_report.pdf

Skills England is a new arms-length body to tackle skills shortages and support sustained economic growth.

This report includes:

an initial analysis of current and future skills needs, including which occupations are high in demand

Sounds like a lot of great opportunities…

…for a bunch of liberal arts graduates to fill the upper echelons of the new quango, writing lots of reports and commissioning lots of studies over the next few years.

Forgive my cynicism, but more often than not these organisations have mostly enriched those working there.
    moonshine said:

On it's own it means nothing... but it's another misstep on what has been a VERY mediocre start for Keith And Rachel.

First impressions count and this government has made a very poor first impression.

The budget will be an important moment I think. Will it reset the dial? Or just make things worse?
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,566

Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Unfortunately for you (on this score, as a claim to degrees-of-separation), there are many thousands of people who are also three degrees separated. Wellington was godfather to the young Prince Arthur, later Duke of Connaught, and was present at the latter's baptism in 1850. The duke lived to 1942 and in his later years then met Princess Elizabeth, as she then was. So anyone who met the late Queen has a pretty direct route to the Iron Duke.

Your link is much more interesting though.

• Usually conferences give a boost to the party

It will be interesting if this has had an effect
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Scarpia said:

Pork or beef?

Nonsense

Vegan venison. Obviously.

Usually conferences give a boost to the party

It will be interesting if this has had an effect

Given the pollsters aren't really polling at the moment, we'll probably never know?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003

rcs1000 said:

Yes:

We need to be told

Surely not venison
    Taz said:

Very true.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    edited September 24
    SKSausage fans up in arms that Hamas have taken the sausages?
    malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes:

We need to be told

Surely not venison
    Much better in a pie or burger, imo. But I'd never say no.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    edited September 24
    Johnny Carson on Bill Clinton and . . . wait for it . . . Donald Trump . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y21RudiPoC0

Note that intro to show on this clip, is by Tonight Show bandleader Doc Severinson NOT sidekick Ed McMahon.

ADDENDUM - yet more Carson on Trump . . .
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVJSZ1TtG_M
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Eabhal said:

I literally cannot stop thinking about sausages.

It's a good job it's you and not Carol Vorderman saying that.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,566

FPT

The first election I stood in, I helped a voter who'd requested a permanent postal vote complete her application form for it (back in the days when you needed a proper reason to have a postal vote). She told me she'd always voted Conservative ever since Stanley Baldwin gave her the vote. That would have been the 1928 RPA, which enfranchised all women over 21, and poorer ones over 30. I assume she was in the former category but she'd still have been into her 90s by 1998. Granted, that's not a particularly remarkable link at the moment but it might be if I'm still around to tell the story in 30+ years time.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

I didn't pick it up but my wife who had come in from the garden and said she had heard the BBC report that Starmer had mispronounced hostages as sausages

One of a string of other such gaffes.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    Has anyone been following the story of how the Russian government paid at least $10m to (moderately prominent) YouTubers for pro-Russian / anti-Ukrainian content?

The Legal Eagle people have a good video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJ6Ttaiu9M

I find it deeply disturbing that we were not considered influential enough for a straight bribe. Come on Kremlin, cash out, and we'll let the trolls in.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    I doubt the gaffe will make much difference though Jewish voters may have preferred Starmer had taken a bit more care over his call for hostage return
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Is this the wurst of it?
  • Nigelb said:

No, they don't.

Back in the 1980s I knew someone who'd emigrated to work for Cray (who made supercomputers of the day) and could not believe how unreliable was the New York electricity supply, when blackouts and brownouts were a frequent occurrence. Presumably this would also have been Trump's experience at the time.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    He should be pleased that the commentary will focus on this return of the Sausages, as the rest of the speech was a platitudinous word soup read out by an emperor naked without his free clothes.
    edited September 24

Nigelb said:

Plus Pennsylvania and Wisconsin and Michigan are very much personal votes for Trump not the GOP who hadn't won the states since 1988 before him, them plus GA or NC would be enough for a Dem win post reapportionment
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

This report includes:

It is a good report, produced impressively quickly since Skills England was established in late July - comparable reports often take a year or more.
    It's also a counter to all those who say 'Labour doesn't have any plans to improve productivity'. It does.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited September 24
    Good afternoon everyone.

An interesting 2/3 day reinhabiting former memories in Nottingham, with a niceish lunch out and walking round the centre and the Park Estate, which became a "no through traffic" area in the late 1980s iirc, but may have been the same before it was opened up as it has been there since mid-Victorian times. A big flat building site where whatever replaces the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre will be.

It seems to be doing reasonably well as a pleasant place to me, and will benefit from being one of the places which will not have a chargeable Low Emissons Zone, as they have had an "anti-congestion and provide alternatives" strategy in place for a little over 25 years.

And my first experience with mobile phone payable parking spaces. I can see certain benefits - such as remote time extension. And certain benefits for the parking scheme administrators.
    CNN US National poll

Harris 48% Trump 47% Oliver 2% Stein 1%

' The latest poll finds Harris and Trump roughly even with independent likely voters – Harris at 45% to Trump at 41% - with a gender gap that is centered among independents. Independent women break 51% Harris to 36% Trump while independent men split 47% for Trump to 40% for Harris, with very little difference between men and women in either party.

The gender divide in the poll is also more concentrated among White voters (White men break 58% Trump to 35% Harris, while White women split 50% Trump to 47% Harris), with very little gender divide among Black or Latino voters. Harris is well ahead among likely voters younger than 30 (55% support her to 38% who favor Trump), and among Black (79% Harris to 16% Trump) and Latino (59% Harris to 40% Trump) likely voters.

A scant 2% of likely voters say they haven’t yet chosen a candidate to support, and another 12% have chosen one but say they could change their minds.'
    https://edition.cnn.com/2024/09/24/politics/polls-trump-harris-presidential-election/index.html
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    edited September 24

He should be pleased that the commentary will focus on this return of the Sausages, as the rest of the speech was a platitudinous word soup read out by an emperor naked without his free clothes.

You must be a fan, your description sounds almost Corbynite. That being said, Corbyn I doubt would have called for a return of the sausages.

First positive thing about him in months. Who doesn't like sausages?
  • GIN1138 said:

moonshine said:

On it's own it means nothing... but it's another misstep on what has been a VERY mediocre start for Keith And Rachel.

First impressions count and this government has made a very poor first impression.

The budget will be an important moment I think. Will it reset the dial? Or just make things worse?
    We're in stasis until the budget and spending review. The sort of empty noise filling the gap isn't great.

However.

The key thing is that, after nearly five years of trying, neither Starmer's opponents nor his enemies have been able to identify a viable alternative. And personally, I'm highly unconvinced that Jenrick or Badenoch are that viable alternative.

"Best of a poor bunch" is still best, however poor they are.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    edited September 24

Johnny Carson on Bill Clinton and . . . wait for it . . . Donald Trump . . .

Note that intro to show on this clip, is by Tonight Show bandleader Doc Severinson NOT sidekick Ed McMahon.

The Gennifer Flowers affair that Carson is joking about in the first clip caused Bill Clinton to drift out to 10/1 in the presidential betting.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Jonathan said:

You must be a fan, your description sounds almost Corbynite. That being said, Corbyn I doubt would have called for a return of the sausages.
    He made a pig's lug of his leadership.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Eabhal said:

malcolmg said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes:

We need to be told

Surely not venison
    Much better in a pie or burger, imo. But I'd never say no.
    I was thinking of the venison veggie version of old, did not want to be specific and upset CR
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Starmer’s not the first conference speaker to promise to open up pork markets.

Good PR for Israel’s premier sausage manufacturer: “separation barriers”.
    TimS said:

It's an improvement on the politics of the pork barrel.
  • rcs1000 said:

Has anyone been following the story of how the Russian government paid at least $10m to (moderately prominent) YouTubers for pro-Russian / anti-Ukrainian content?

The Legal Eagle people have a good video on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnJ6Ttaiu9M

I find it deeply disturbing that we were not considered influential enough for a straight bribe. Come on Kremlin, cash out, and we'll let the trolls in.

Your father and I were both invited to the Russian embassy in 2017.

We declined.

We should have gone and taken the money and pumped out pro Ukraine content.
  • MattW said:

Good afternoon everyone.

An interesting 2/3 day reinhabiting former memories in Nottingham, with a niceish lunch out and walking round the centre and the Park Estate, which became a "no through traffic" area in the late 1980s iirc, but may have been the same before it was opened up as it has been there since mid-Victorian times. A big flat building site where whatever replaces the Broadmarsh Shopping Centre will be.

It seems to be doing reasonably well as a pleasant place to me, and will benefit from being one of the places which will not have a chargeable Low Emissons Zone, as they have had an "anti-congestion and provide alternatives" strategy in place for a little over 25 years.

And my first experience with mobile phone payable parking spaces. I can see certain benefits - such as remote time extension. And certain benefits for the parking scheme administrators.

I live in the Park Estate and yes Nottingham is fie especially as the students are back along Derby Road
    ydoethur said:

TimS said:

Starmer is bacon in the full English support.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

I think it has all gone to Heck.
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

This is cutting through. It’s made it to the Frankfurter Allgemeine.

Though not yet the Weiner Zeitung.
    Already in the Lincolnshire Echo and the Cumberland news.
    It's a bit of a shame that Starmer kept a straight face while saying that, but I suppose given the subject matter he couldn't really laugh at himself. It would have looked bad.

I remember one of the great things about George H. Bush's legendary slip of the tongue where he said he and Reagan had had sex instead of setbacks was how he had a fit of the giggles.

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

TimS said:

I think it has all gone to Heck.
    He has nothing Toulouse now
  • Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Unfortunately for you (on this score, as a claim to degrees-of-separation), there are many thousands of people who are also three degrees separated. Wellington was godfather to the young Prince Arthur, later Duke of Connaught, and was present at the latter's baptism in 1850. The duke lived to 1942 and in his later years then met Princess Elizabeth, as she then was. So anyone who met the late Queen has a pretty direct route to the Iron Duke.

Your link is much more interesting though.

Personally but two degrees of seperation from her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. AND also from her mum, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mum, Sir Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Harry Truman, Dwight Eisenhower and host of others of the Good, Great and Otherwise.

For what THAT's worth.
  • Foxy said:

First positive thing about him in months. Who doesn't like sausages?
    Ironically my wife dislikes sausages intensly
  • Johnny Carson on Bill Clinton and . . . wait for it . . . Donald Trump . . .

The Gennifer Flowers affair that Carson is joking about in the first clip caused Bill Clinton to drift out to 10/1 in the presidential betting.
    Johnny Carson also mentions Hillary Clinton (then First Lady of Arkansas) after she (in)famously dissed Tammy Wynette.

One wonders how many votes THAT shaved from HC's total in 2016? Not many, but maybe enough.