Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

They shall take up serpents: God, Guns, Abortion and Trump – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited September 22 in General
imageThey shall take up serpents: God, Guns, Abortion and Trump – politicalbetting.com

And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In My name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands, and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not harm them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will be made well.”

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206
    It's the sort of vibrancy which Welby and the CoE lack
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    edited September 22
    darkage said:

Default-permit housing planning, I love this government so much.

https://bsky.app/profile/liamthorp.bsky.social/post/3l4oxxbjwgt2j

(When I like a government it's a sure sign that the voters will kill it and bury it in a hole at the first opportunity they get.)

Except this is the same idea that they have come up with for at least the last 20 years. It sounds like something is happening but then the 'default permits' have so many caveats that it is no different to the existing system. It basically reveals that the government itself have been swallowed up by the blob. Expect no change at all, business as usual.
    Yes, the follow through is the key. I love the sound of it but I've been burned before, and things like reducing housing figures in London make me suspicious about seemingly positive stories about change.

In planning the usual position is no change, or an overegged tweak which does little more than add yet more bloody paperwork.
  • Re the header graphs, previously it was Mike Pence who was Trump's link to the Evangelicals, so while it might be likely the religious right will favour Trump, it is not quite a done deal, especially given Trump's recent rowing back from a blanket ban on abortion.
  • There's a curious twist, though.

One of the groups who are most supportive of Trump are non-churchgoing evangelicals.

Being evangelical once suggested regular church attendance, a focus on salvation and conversion and strongly held views on specific issues such as abortion. Today, it is as often used to describe a cultural and political identity: one in which Christians are considered a persecuted minority, traditional institutions are viewed skeptically and Mr. Trump looms large...

But as Mr. Trump gained ground in the early primaries, his growing strength among white evangelical voters became clear. Polls showed that the future nominee was most popular among one group in particular: white evangelicals who seldom or never went to church

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/08/us/politics/donald-trump-evangelicals-iowa.html

Beyond even the buzz of the megachurch, there is the buzz of the televangelist, which manages to line up with MAGA even more.

There's a curious twist, though.

One of the groups who are most supportive of Trump are non-churchgoing evangelicals.

Being evangelical once suggested regular church attendance, a focus on salvation and conversion and strongly held views on specific issues such as abortion. Today, it is as often used to describe a cultural and political identity: one in which Christians are considered a persecuted minority, traditional institutions are viewed skeptically and Mr. Trump looms large...

But as Mr. Trump gained ground in the early primaries, his growing strength among white evangelical voters became clear. Polls showed that the future nominee was most popular among one group in particular: white evangelicals who seldom or never went to church

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/01/08/us/politics/donald-trump-evangelicals-iowa.html

Beyond even the buzz of the megachurch, there is the buzz of the televangelist, which manages to line up with MAGA even more.

Their constant and shameless grifting certainly does.

A match made in heaven, one might say.
  • There's a curious twist, though.

Reminiscent of the non-churchgoing Reagan who managed to convince voters he was more religious than Jimmy Carter, a president who even taught Sunday school from the White House.
  • kle4 said:

Their constant and shameless grifting certainly does.

A match made in heaven, one might say.
    Possibly heaven, possibly the other place.

I couldn't possibly comment.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,750

Pentacostalist worship is certainly fun and celebrational, and in the UK drawing crowds too. There are a number of "Big Shed" churches near me, the retail park being the UK equivalent of the US shopping Mall. It isn't just the African diaspora either. There are fellow travellers too, with Holy Trinity in Leicester getting 500 on a Sunday, CoE though not always approved of by the hierarchy because of its informal liturgy.

Pentacostalism has moved a long way from the homespun Appalachian church in the video clip, to the razzmatazz of modern mega-churches. The key is that personal relationship with Jesus, and an acceptance of modern consumerist lifestyles.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Excellent header. All is now becoming clearer. The photo half way through is particularly memorable. It would be interesting to know for purposes of the forthcoming election how many evangelicals there are.

I did a shoot in Phoenix where I was told the crew were all evangelicals and they did show a few distinct oddities which I put down to that part of the country rather than their evangelicalism but now i realise that is probably not the case

Yes, even though Evangelicals may not attend often, or indeed at all, they do retain the cultural values. They are more regular attenders than other denominations still.

There is a parallel to some of our recent rioters professing that this is a Christian country, but more likely in pub than pew on a day like today.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited September 22
    My heart sinks when I see a long thread header, a sign I guess of an inferior education. But bloody hell that was jam packed with data, detailed analysis and a sprinkling of Billy Graham too!

Everyday a school day on PB. Thanks.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,078

But if the CoE had that sort of vibrancy, the current debate over whether gay marriage can be blessed in church would not even come within sight. The debate would be about whether abortions should be legal in cases of rape, incest or threat to life of the mother.

There are lots of USA evangelical style churches to choose from in the UK. Be thankful the CoE (like ECUSA in the USA) offers an alternative for us appalling liberals, non-fundamentalists, universalists, 1662 fans and so on.
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 305
    edited September 22
    kle4 said:

darkage said:

Default-permit housing planning, I love this government so much.

https://bsky.app/profile/liamthorp.bsky.social/post/3l4oxxbjwgt2j

(When I like a government it's a sure sign that the voters will kill it and bury it in a hole at the first opportunity they get.)

Except this is the same idea that they have come up with for at least the last 20 years. It sounds like something is happening but then the 'default permits' have so many caveats that it is no different to the existing system. It basically reveals that the government itself have been swallowed up by the blob. Expect no change at all, business as usual.
    Yes, the follow through is the key. I love the sound of it but I've been burned before, and things like reducing housing figures in London make me suspicious about seemingly positive stories about change.

In planning the usual position is no change, or an overegged tweak which does little more than add yet more bloody paperwork.
    Yes, Pickles brought in changes that the default assumption should be with approval. But The Blob managed a run around using Natural England as their vehicle. Nutrient Neutrality somehow became sacrosanct planning requirement entirely out of the hands of government. In my town there are three sites just sat in paralysis because of NN.
  • Foxy said:

Pentacostalist worship is certainly fun and celebrational, and in the UK drawing crowds too. There are a number of "Big Shed" churches near me, the retail park being the UK equivalent of the US shopping Mall. It isn't just the African diaspora either. There are fellow travellers too, with Holy Trinity in Leicester getting 500 on a Sunday, CoE though not always approved of by the hierarchy because of its informal liturgy.

Pentacostalism has moved a long way from the homespun Appalachian church in the video clip, to the razzmatazz of modern mega-churches. The key is that personal relationship with Jesus, and an acceptance of modern consumerist lifestyles.
    I'm sure there are bits of the hierarchy that wince at what goes on, much like the Anglo-Catholic ordinands I saw the day after they had an educational trip somewhere similar.

But one of Welby's big ideas has been a hefty expansion in That Sort Of Thing, by getting Holy Trinity Brompton (and its children and their children) and others to plant new congregations into struggling parishes.

And one of the people behind that is Paul Marshall. Yes, that Paul Marshall.
    Roger said:

Excellent header. All is now becoming clearer. The photo half way through is particularly memorable. It would be interesting to know for purposes of the forthcoming election how many evangelicals there are.

I did a shoot in Phoenix where I was told the crew were all evangelicals and they did show a few distinct oddities which I put down to that part of the country rather than their evangelicalism but now i realise that is probably not the case

The link at the end of the header is great for data junkies:

Arizona is 26% Evangelical, 21% Catholic for example, and you can drill down into the data to some surprising findings. Half of Catholics and a third of Evangelicals support legal abortion for example. The data is getting a little old but still relevant.

https://www.pewresearch.org/religious-landscape-study/database/
  • mercator said:

Great piece. God, guns and healthcare.

That's Mark 16:18 btw and golly there's some wacky stuff in the NT

The photo of the trumpies with ear dressings is why as UK commentators we should accept that our own gut feeling about any of this is of no predictive value whatever. This is just incomprehensible.

Who hasn't menstruated via their ear?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,041
    The fastest growth in Christianity globally and in the US and even the UK is charismatic Pentecostal and Independent evangelicals. They tend to believe in speaking in tongues, the holy spirit literally taking them over and biblical literalism and of course yes are firmly anti same sex marriage and anti abortion. Indeed some want Trump to go even harder line for a federal abortion ban now Roe has been reversed and are not guaranteed to turn out for him if he doesn't.

However evangelicals are not just white evangelicals, longer standing southern Baptists, the largest US Protestant denomination, as well as Pentecostals but also black Pentecostals too and they tend to emphasise civil rights more and social justice and will be strongly for Harris and the Democrats. If they turn out in Georgia and NC that could help her.

As in the UK now Roman Catholics tend to be swing voters in the US, they voted for Trump in 2016 but Biden in 2020 and both candidates will be courting them. The Pope has said both candidates are wrong, Trump on asylum and Harris on abortion.
    https://news.sky.com/story/choose-the-lesser-evil-in-us-election-says-pope-as-catholic-leader-criticises-kamala-harris-and-donald-trump-13214341

US Anglican Episcopalians are much smaller than in the UK and now tend to lean Democrat whereas in the UK they tend to be Tory with a number of LDs too. Atheists in both nations tend to vote Labour or Democrat and Muslims Labour or Democrat too (though they want Harris to be harder on Israel). Hindus are becoming more conservative and Jews are likely to vote for Trump more than they usually vote GOP which will help him in NY, Florida and California
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,214
    https://eu.dispatch.com/story/news/local/2024/09/20/haitian-immigrants-springfield-ohio-council-of-churches-letter/75314063007/

“The largest organization representing the Christian faith in Ohio issued a scathing letter in defense of Haitian migrants in Springfield.

“The letter released Friday evening by the Ohio Council of Churches (OCC) decried the false statements from Republican vice presidential nominee and U.S. Sen. JD Vance and running mate, former president Donald Trump, that Haitian immigrants in Springfield were eating pets and wildlife.”

https://eu.dispatch.com/story/news/state/2024/09/19/haitian-immigrants-springfield-catholic-bishops-vance-ohio/75293214007/

“The Catholic Conference of Ohio, which represents bishops from diocesan groups across the state, published a letter Thursday asking for the public to treat Haitian immigrants in Springfield with respect and dignity, warning against "unfounded gossip" and "scapegoating."”

Foxy said:

I'm sure there are bits of the hierarchy that wince at what goes on, much like the Anglo-Catholic ordinands I saw the day after they had an educational trip somewhere similar.

But one of Welby's big ideas has been a hefty expansion in That Sort Of Thing, by getting Holy Trinity Brompton (and its children and their children) and others to plant new congregations into struggling parishes.

HTB has a £10 million a year budget for church planting etc. Though the more Catholic Save the Parish movement wants traditional Parishes preserved as the priority

https://survivingchurch.org/2024/05/03/htb-extraordinary-influence/
    https://www.savetheparish.com/

Reminiscent of the non-churchgoing Reagan who managed to convince voters he was more religious than Jimmy Carter, a president who even taught Sunday school from the White House.
    Carter won evangelicals in 1976 against Ford but lost them in 1980, he is the only Democrat though to have won evangelicals at a presidential election
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited September 22
    In reference to the fine header, perhaps Starmer should ask if he can make half-time crowd-stirring speeches at Arsenal home games.
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,100

Foxy said:

Except that HTB and it's network of churches is now on its way out of the CofE sphere over the "Prayers of Love and Faith" (that's CofE speak for gay marriage in church). As are virtually all the evangelicals - which are the only bit of the CofE that isn't in free fall decline.

My CofE church is actually voting today* on whether the congregation agrees with the leadership that we should leave. We're a bit unusual, because we're an old congregation that's not a parish church, and own our own building, so we can pretty much tell the Bishop "so long and thanks for all the fish", but that is true of a lot of the new churches planted by outfits like HTB and St Helens Bishopsgate.

Incidentally, I've no real problem personally with gay people being gay. I think it's sinful, active homosexuals are called to repent like all sexual sinners, but ultimately it's God's job to make them give an account of their lives, at his judgment, not mine.

My problem with the CofE blessing gay marriages is that this is the leadership blessing something their doctrine teaches is sinful. I'd say the same if they wanted in church blessings for adultery, gluttony, lying or greed. It's just that in our context, homosexuality is a fashionable sin, unlike the others.

*actually, electronically, over the next two weeks, starting today
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815
    Kuennsberg skewering Rayner reminiscent of Maitlis and Andrew. Brutal
  • HYUFD said:
    I see a lot of this stuff in the media. I would never vote for someone like Trump but I do wonder about this strategy of "look at this stupid thing Trump said isn't it ridiculous laughs in middle-class" is counter-productive. I say this as a middle-class person who votes left. I've seen the reaction of working-class people to this type of humiliation and they resent it.

It seems to me the Democratic party and their supporters don't get this. It looks to me like the Harris campaign is heading over a cliff and attempts to correct course are treated as pro-Trump denial. This very much reminds me of 2016.

(You probably meant to post something light-hearted and inconsequential but I thought this point was worth making nonetheless, you'll have to forgive me.)
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,453

In reference to the fine header, perhaps Starmer should ask if he can make half-time crowd-stirring speeches at Arsenal home games.

I'd imagine the reception he would receive would make Blair's welcome at the WI look warm and loving.

But it would suit Starmer's PMship which is echoing Blair's, but thoroughly distorted and less competent.

HYUFD said:
    I see a lot of this stuff in the media. I would never vote for someone like Trump but I do wonder about this strategy of "look at this stupid thing Trump said isn't it ridiculous laughs in middle-class" is counter-productive. I say this as a middle-class person who votes left. I've seen the reaction of working-class people to this type of humiliation and they resent it.

It seems to me the Democratic party and their supporters don't get this. It looks to me like the Harris campaign is heading over a cliff and attempts to correct course are treated as pro-Trump denial. This very much reminds me of 2016.

(You probably meant to post something light-hearted and inconsequential but I thought this point was worth making nonetheless, you'll have to forgive me.)
    Quite. It's all jolly good fun but meaningless

And I wouldn't bet against a Musk Potus team getting someone to mars in 4 years anyway.
    Andrew: well I never saw these girls at Epstein's

Rayner: well I never saw this Alli at no 10
    theProle said:

Foxy said:

Except that HTB and it's network of churches is now on its way out of the CofE sphere over the "Prayers of Love and Faith" (that's CofE speak for gay marriage in church). As are virtually all the evangelicals - which are the only bit of the CofE that isn't in free fall decline.

My CofE church is actually voting today* on whether the congregation agrees with the leadership that we should leave. We're a bit unusual, because we're an old congregation that's not a parish church, and own our own building, so we can pretty much tell the Bishop "so long and thanks for all the fish", but that is true of a lot of the new churches planted by outfits like HTB and St Helens Bishopsgate.

Incidentally, I've no real problem personally with gay people being gay. I think it's sinful, active homosexuals are called to repent like all sexual sinners, but ultimately it's God's job to make them give an account of their lives, at his judgment, not mine.

My problem with the CofE blessing gay marriages is that this is the leadership blessing something their doctrine teaches is sinful. I'd say the same if they wanted in church blessings for adultery, gluttony, lying or greed. It's just that in our context, homosexuality is a fashionable sin, unlike the others.

So, you do have a problem with gay people being gay?
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    mercator said:

HYUFD said:

And I wouldn't bet against a Musk Potus team getting someone to mars in 4 years anyway.
    I would - because of the time it would take to get there and the fact you really do need to launch on particular days to minimise journey times.
    HYUFD said:

Carter won evangelicals in 1976 against Ford but lost them in 1980, he is the only Democrat though to have won evangelicals at a presidential election
    It depends a little on definition, but Carter was perhaps the second "Born Again" President, with Garfield being the first.

Considering the large number of Evangelicals in the USA, it is a surprisingly small number. Nearly all other presidents have been either traditional denominations or not particularly interested in religion at all.

I think some of the mutual antipathy we see between MAGA Republicans and coastal Democrats arises from this lack of Evangelical representation and priorities on the national stage. Trump being a businessman with no political hinterland prior to 2016 helps him ally with this anti-elite mindset.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,948
    edited September 22
    Thanks @Foxy for an interesting header. How did you come by all your information - was it from the same source as the chart?

Good morning, everyone.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,029
    theProle said:

Foxy said:

I'm not religious so have no dog in this fight. But in my view the gay marriage debate makes the church look very stupid indeed. Surely God doesn't change his mind about this sort of thing to fit the whims of whatever human view is fashionable? Alternatively, perhaps the whole "this is what God wants" is entirely made up. That would explain why what God wants has, coincidentally, coincided almost exactly with the views of the elite level of society for its entire history.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    theProle said:

Foxy said:

Why is "homosexuality" sinful? I can see arguments for "adultery, gluttony, lying or greed" being sinful, but I can't see how homosexuality can be added to the list?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    theProle said:

Foxy said:

An old fashioned view but quite consistent in its own way
    mercator said:

Well that's entirely Rayner's fault. Kamala wouldn't be stupid enough to be interviewed by Jesse Watters.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    mercator said:

The next launch window is the end of 2026 so that's not happening but there is another window at the end of 2028...

A middle aged white man putting a MAGA flag on Sytris Major and claiming Mars for the USA, Evangelical Christianity and the capital owning class is the type of thing that appeals to DJT.
  • Nunu3Nunu3 Posts: 214

https://eu.dispatch.com/story/news/local/2024/09/20/haitian-immigrants-springfield-ohio-council-of-churches-letter/75314063007/

“The largest organization representing the Christian faith in Ohio issued a scathing letter in defense of Haitian migrants in Springfield.

“The letter released Friday evening by the Ohio Council of Churches (OCC) decried the false statements from Republican vice presidential nominee and U.S. Sen. JD Vance and running mate, former president Donald Trump, that Haitian immigrants in Springfield were eating pets and wildlife.”

https://eu.dispatch.com/story/news/state/2024/09/19/haitian-immigrants-springfield-catholic-bishops-vance-ohio/75293214007/

“The Catholic Conference of Ohio, which represents bishops from diocesan groups across the state, published a letter Thursday asking for the public to treat Haitian immigrants in Springfield with respect and dignity, warning against "unfounded gossip" and "scapegoating."”

We should be worried about the racist dog whistles against Haitian migrants

but why on earth would you put 20,000 migrants in to one small struggling Midwestern town in the first place, almost over night. I've seen many African Americans also complaining about the situation and not being able to get jobs in an area that was already struggling with job creation. How are the local resident people meant to compete?

There are legitimate concerns although the pet eating stuff is racist bs.

(also it is close to 20,000 because there are 7,500 children enrolled in the schools at the last count)
    edited September 22
    AnneJGP said:

Thanks @Foxy for an interesting header. How did you come by all your information - was it from the same source as the chart?

Good morning, everyone.

Pew Research has a lot of interesting data on religion in America and elsewhere, but it is also a subject that I have thought about a lot. There is a very active Christian debate over much of these issues, Evangelicals are quite big on scriptural analysis and theology, and while the culture is anti-intellectual (hence against "Woke" Universities) it isn't unintelligent.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    edited September 22
    kamski said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

Why is "homosexuality" sinful? I can see arguments for "adultery, gluttony, lying or greed" being sinful, but I can't see how homosexuality can be added to the list?
    I expect it’s like the other sins: in the Neolithic societies that gave birth to our major religions anything that reduced the production of new children to help on the crops or herd the goats was considered a problem.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,029
    kamski said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

Well, because God apparently says so. Sin isn't down to what humans think. IIRC, there's a plethora of apparently innocent things which God doesn't like.
    You might think there is nothing wrong with it, and that view seems entirely reasonable. But that, apparently, isn't the view of a mysteriois supernatural entity who exists outside the normal context of space and time.
    Though some of those who interpret his views think he might have changed his mind recently on this very particular point.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    What an excellent thread header. Really informative and simply the best explanation as to how 40%+ of Americans can support the odious Trump. Religion is indeed irrational. My old Minister used to talk about the "leap of faith", going beyond what you could assess and measure to what you truly believed. It was a concept I always struggled with and it ultimately resulted in my retreat from religion. But I have had glimpses of its power.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    Nunu3 said:

but why on earth would you put 20,000 migrants in to one small struggling Midwestern town in the first place, almost over night. I've seen many African Americans also complaining about the situation and not being able to get jobs in an area that was already struggling with job creation. How are the local resident people meant to compete?

(also it is close to 20,000 because there are 7,500 children enrolled in the schools at the last count)
    You think that 100% of schoolchildren in Springfield are children of Haitian immigrants?
    Nunu3 said:

The people doing the most to stop those legitimate concerns being considered are the Republicans with their racist bs.
    Cookie said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

I'm not religious so have no dog in this fight. But in my view the gay marriage debate makes the church look very stupid indeed. Surely God doesn't change his mind about this sort of thing to fit the whims of whatever human view is fashionable? Alternatively, perhaps the whole "this is what God wants" is entirely made up. That would explain why what God wants has, coincidentally, coincided almost exactly with the views of the elite level of society for its entire history.
    I would disagree. Our understanding of God changes over time, and we see this in the way God is discussed in the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. Most Churches value scripture, but that is not their sole source (a division with Evangelicals, who are very much scriptural) but also have structures that develop teaching over time. They are inspired by scripture but not restricted to it, and see revalation as a continuing phenomenon rather than ending 2000 years ago.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    Nunu3 said:

but why on earth would you put 20,000 migrants in to one small struggling Midwestern town in the first place,

Who is "you" talking about in this sentence?

• twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,371
    edited September 22
    A fascinating header, thanks Foxy.
    I've just finished reading "Lone Survivor" by ex SEAL Marcus Luttrell. Top tip: don't bother, Markie Mark ( no, not that one) in the film is much more likeable) I got offered it free on a kindle deal, a couple of nights of my life I won't get back.
    The link between god, guns and US patriotism is a large theme in the book. God is on the US Navy SEAL team and they pray to him all the time. The SEAL teams do god's work via Uncle Sam.
    Luttrell spent most of the battle falling down the Afghan mountainside and because god was watching over him he avoided death many times. No matter what happened, his rifle landed never more than two feet away, because god wanted him to keep it. God gave him the strength to carry on, god made his aim true, even when badly injured.
    All of his SEAL buddies were/are deeply religious and hate the "liberal media ". He more or less blames the liberals for the death of his team- they didn't kill the goatherds who discovered them because the liberal media in the US would slaughter them and they'd do time for murdering innocents.
    Basically, God is a Navy Seal, The US is god's chosen land and ultimately God is a Republican. I'd say the MAGA movement would be in agreement.

eek said:

mercator said:

HYUFD said:

I would - because of the time it would take to get there and the fact you really do need to launch on particular days to minimise journey times.
    On their way to Mars.

We do not do these things because they are easy...
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202
    theProle said:

Incidentally, I've no real problem personally with gay people being gay. I think it's sinful…

This reads a bit like “I’m not a homophobe, but…”. What are your specific reasons for thinking that homosexuality is sinful?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    mercator said:

eek said:

mercator said:

HYUFD said:

On their way to Mars.

We do not do these things because they are easy...
    ...but because they let us channel government funds to our donors...
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    Nunu3 said:

There are two issues with this reading. One is the stats - significantly fewer than the numbers being bandied about, and not by any means all recent.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/09/19/us/springfield-ohio-haitians-immigration-cec

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/Politics/fact-checking-jd-vances-claims-haitian-migrants-springfield/story?id=113844705

But the main issue is one of agency. These people haven’t been “put” there. They’re people who have decided to move to Springfield.

There’s a kind of narrative promoted by the Republicans that dehumanises Haitians by pretending they are just some herd of undifferentiated masses who are “put” in places by, presumably, Democrats.
    Roger said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

An old fashioned view but quite consistent in its own way
    One of the things that keeps drawing me back to PB despite my better judgement is the quaint notion that there remains a corner of the internet that will always be true to the 1950s.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Nunu3 said:

Any link to back up the claim that African Americans cannot get jobs in Springfield Ohio - remember that the companies say they couldn't get workers which was the reason they brought them in?

In return this is the Republican Governor of Ohio yesterday talking about Springfield.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/09/20/opinion/springfield-haitian-migrants-ohio.html

Setting the bar for scathing a bit low.

These guys have a biological imperative to eat protein, a religious imperative to sacrifice small animals, and no money. How do *you* think they might solve these problems?
  • Muesli said:

theProle said:

Incidentally, I've no real problem personally with gay people being gay. I think it's sinful…

This reads a bit like “I’m not a homophobe, but…”. What are your specific reasons for thinking that homosexuality is sinful?
    I dont like eating salmon, it doesnt make me salmon-phobic. The OP clearly said they felt it was for God to judge it, but that is how they seem it.
    edited September 22
    What I do find difficult to reconcile is that the beliefs held by these Evangelicals in light of Jesus's own teachings: In Matthew he got them to bring out a Roman coin.

"20 And he saith unto them, Whose is this image and superscription?

21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way."

But these Evangelicals are not content to leave Caesar's things with the state. They are not content with living their own lives according to these teachings. They want everyone else to live in accordance with their beliefs too. It is that intolerance of other views that I find objectionable. Jesus's own teachings, as recorded in the New Testament, seem to me to show far more tolerance and compassion than they do.
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

Incidentally, I've no real problem
    personally with gay people being gay. I think it's sinful, active homosexuals are called to repent like all sexual sinners, but ultimately it's God's job to make them give an account of their lives, at his judgment, not mine.

I would disagree. Our understanding of God changes over time, and we see this in the way God is discussed in the Bible, from Genesis to Revelation. Most Churches value scripture, but that is not their sole source (a division with Evangelicals, who are very much scriptural) but also have structures that develop teaching over time. They are inspired by scripture but not restricted to it, and see revalation as a continuing phenomenon rather than ending 2000 years ago.
    I don't wish to appear rude, but that would appear indistinguishable from the whole thing being made up by humans.
    Hush.

This is a problem with Islam vs Christianity. The bible is the work of fallible sinful humans, whereas the Holy Q was dictated straight by Allah to the prophet pbuh, so leaves less wriggle room.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651
    Nunu3 said:

You think they are running a command economy?
  • Cookie said:

kamski said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

Well, because God apparently says so. Sin isn't down to what humans think. IIRC, there's a plethora of apparently innocent things which God doesn't like.
    You might think there is nothing wrong with it, and that view seems entirely reasonable. But that, apparently, isn't the view of a mysteriois supernatural entity who exists outside the normal context of space and time.
    Though some of those who interpret his views think he might have changed his mind recently on this very particular point.
    Trouble is that you can extract "homosexuality is an unambiguous sin" from the scriptures, but you have to do a fair bit of work. After all, you can't use the Old Testament without running into the pork/shellfish/mixed fibres thing. That work might be legitimate, but not necessarily.

And in the Gospels, the man himself had more sense to opine on the matter, on the record anyway. His teachings were much cleverer than that, judge not lest ye be judged and all that.

But yes, the church often messes up by using God as an excuse for cultural mores of the moment. Apartheid was a notorious example. Postwar boarding school purity culture might (or might not) be another. There's already been a hefty shift there compared with thirty years ago.

And on that note, harvest festival calls.
  • mercator said:

Why would she have done, unless Alli attends Cabinet meetings?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,051
    Tres said:

Nunu3 said:

You think they are running a command economy?
    Good morning one and all. Welcome to a rather stormy autumn.

Any second (or third, etc) wave of immigrants tends to go to a place where co-religionists, people from one's country of origin etc have settled already.
  • mercator said:

Well that's entirely Rayner's fault. Kamala wouldn't be stupid enough to be interviewed by Jesse Watters.
    Today's politicians spend their whole careers dodging interviews only to find out the hard way they do not know how to be interviewed.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

I've just finished reading "Lone Survivor" by ex SEAL Marcus Luttrell. Top tip: don't bother, Markie Mark ( no, not that one) in the film is much more likeable) I got offered it free on a kindle deal, a couple of nights of my life I won't get back.
    The link between god, guns and US patriotism is a large theme in the book. God is on the US Navy SEAL team and they pray to him all the time. The SEAL teams do god's work via Uncle Sam.
    Luttrell spent most of the battle falling down the Afghan mountainside and because god was watching over him he avoided death many times. No matter what happened, his rifle landed never more than two feet away, because god wanted him to keep it. God gave him the strength to carry on, god made his aim true, even when badly injured.
    All of his SEAL buddies were/are deeply religious and hate the "liberal media ". He more or less blames the liberals for the death of his team- they didn't kill the goatherds who discovered them because the liberal media in the US would slaughter them and they'd do time for murdering innocents.
    Basically, God is a Navy Seal, The US is god's chosen land and ultimately God is a Republican. I'd say the MAGA movement would be in agreement.

You don't have to be a psycho to get into the SF community but you almost certainly fucking will be by the time you get out.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    DavidL said:

What I do find difficult to reconcile is that the beliefs held by these Evangelicals in light of Jesus's own teachings: In Matthew he got them to bring out a Roman coin.

21 They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's.

22 When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way."

But these Evangelicals are not content to leave Caesar's things with the state. They are not content with living their own lives according to these teachings. They want everyone else to live in accordance with their beliefs too. It is that intolerance of other views that I find objectionable. Jesus's own teachings, as recorded in the New Testament, seem to me to show far more tolerance and compassion than they do.

As Foxy says, the Evangelicals are really more Old Testament focused and the New Testament is more a sort of bridging sign towards Apocalypse than moral and spiritual guidance.

mercator said:

Laura is one of the greatest exponents of "gotcha" journalism.

Guest: "Boris Johnson is a liar!"

Kuenssberg: "That is quite a charge."

Gotcha! February 2023.

All SAS memoirs back to David Smiley in Albania start the same: parachute in, decide not to kill innocent goatherd, regret it. Goatherd preservation is great, but if you are not prepared to eliminate them you can save a lot of time and money by not parachuting in at all.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651

mercator said:

Today's politicians spend their whole careers dodging interviews only to find out the hard way they do not know how to be interviewed.
    Probably thought as Kuennsberg never cared about who paid for Johnson's holidays she would get the same treatment. Naive.
    mwadams said:

DavidL said:

As Foxy says, the Evangelicals are really more Old Testament focused and the New Testament is more a sort of bridging sign towards Apocalypse than moral and spiritual guidance.
    Its always a mistake to look for rationality but the old testament is the book of the Jewish people, reflecting their history, their evolving sense of self and their relationship with God as the chosen people. The New Testament is the bridge to the rest of the world, it is only through the teachings of the New Testament that the rest of us even get to play.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,354

Muesli said:

theProle said:

I dont like eating salmon, it doesnt make me salmon-phobic. The OP clearly said they felt it was for God to judge it, but that is how they seem it.
    I too dislike the overuse use of "x-phobic". It's everywhere.

A phobia is an irrational persistent fear or hatred of something. It's not "dislike".
    I don't like yoghurt but I'm not yoghurtphobic.

I'm not even phobicphobic. But I dislike it.
  • Cookie said:

kamski said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

Trouble is that you can extract "homosexuality is an unambiguous sin" from the scriptures, but you have to do a fair bit of work. After all, you can't use the Old Testament without running into the pork/shellfish/mixed fibres thing. That work might be legitimate, but not necessarily.

And in the Gospels, the man himself had more sense to opine on the matter, on the record anyway. His teachings were much cleverer than that, judge not lest ye be judged and all that.

But yes, the church often messes up by using God as an excuse for cultural mores of the moment. Apartheid was a notorious example. Postwar boarding school purity culture might (or might not) be another. There's already been a hefty shift there compared with thirty years ago.

And on that note, harvest festival calls.
    The trouble is you can extract "homosexuality is an unambiguous sin" from the scriptures with very little work.

You can do so from cherry-picking the Old Testament and disregarding anything about pork etc that you don't care about.

The scriptures being man-made over a long period of time have many prejudices and contradictory and otherwise unpleasant viewpoints in them. No "Christian" observes every single scripture, you couldn't since some directly contradict others, so its all about what elements you choose to cherrypick and what you choose to ignore.
  • mercator said:

She might have been invited to the Downing Street garden party that he totally legitimately hosted while he had his pass
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,477
    Well, the first 100 days is going well isn't it?

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    ·
    36m
    Education Sec Bridget Phillipson tells
    @SkyNews
    that £14k birthday parties funded by Labour donor Lord Alli were 'in a work context'. I seem to remember someone else trying this defence one...

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    37m
    In today’s
    @thetimes

@cazjwheeler
    covers our latest polling which shows how quickly the Govt’s honeymoon vanished. 17% of Labour voters regret voting for the Party & the public are slightly more likely to think they are exaggerating the state of public finances than being honest

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1837772001357779387
  • Ange thinks that she's been too honest about NYNYEgate
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202

Muesli said:

theProle said:

That’s a false analogy, unless you also think that salmon eaters are sinful. In which case, I’d argue that is definitely salmoneaterphobic.

Anyway, never mind your taste in tinned fish, I’m much more interested in the specific reasoning behind non-homophobic @theProle thinking homosexuality is sinful and whether it amounts to any more than “I read it in a book” or “the man in the white dress said it so it must be so”.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

personally with gay people being gay. I think it's sinful, active homosexuals are called to repent like all sexual sinners, but ultimately it's God's job to make them give an account of their lives, at his judgment, not mine.

I don't wish to appear rude, but that would appear indistinguishable from the whole thing being made up by humans.
    This is the fundamental belief in all religious systems - that it is something more than "made up by humans." If you cannot get past that belief, you don't have the religion thing.

As It happens, it is also a trap for lots of scientists. They shift from understanding that they are describing or modeling the observed universe to a belief that they have revealed some more fundamental 'truth'. This is independent of their religious beliefs. Mathematicians are particulary prone, largely because their abstractions continue to be "spookily" good at then being adapted into said models of observed phenomena and often indistinguishable from revealed truth. Peak experiences when everything falls into place tend to reinforce this sense of revelation.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,702
    edited September 22
    Last week was a smorgasboard of bad news for the Government, so I am now just catching up with the news that they did have an impact assessment for the Winter Fuel changes, despite Starmer outright denying that they did. This is a tough one in a number of ways. He now looks like a liar, or an incompetent. But we must assume that worse is on the way with the contents of the assessment bound to be made public. If the assessment found the change would have minimal impact, it seems unlikely that its existence would have been denied. If it contains a significant number of frozen grannies, in today's febrile and emotive political climate, that looks catastrophic for a Government that has been forced to defend its use of free designer clobber, penthouses in New York, and significant expense claims for energy.

I don't really support that outrage (about policies resulting in some deaths) because I think it leads to things like lockdown, where many more lives are blighted (and actually lost) in the cause of a few, but it is where we are, and it is the emotional landscape that Starmer and his team have been making hay with for the last 5 years.
  • Muesli said:

Muesli said:

theProle said:

That’s a false analogy, unless you also think that salmon eaters are sinful. In which case, I’d argue that is definitely salmoneaterphobic.

Anyway, never mind your taste in tinned fish, I’m much more interested in the specific reasoning behind non-homophobic @theProle thinking homosexuality is sinful and whether it amounts to any more than “I read it in a book” or “the man in the white dress said it so it must be so”.
    The revulsion is common across many societies throughout the world and throughout time.
  • Muesli said:

Muesli said:

theProle said:

Also whether you believe "we're all sinners" or not.

If we're all sinners why does it matter that being gay is "sinful" any more or less than that eating pork is "sinful"?

Some people seem to want to put homosexuality as a higher tier of "sin" than mixed fabric clothes, pork or a gazillion other "sins" when their belief system is predicated on a belief we're all sinners and sins are forgiven anyway.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,347
    Now we’re getting towards the actual story.

Sir Keir was in Spurs hospitality box last weekend with Sue Gray and Katie Perrior, a lobbyist behind the Euro Super League breakaway. I wonder what she had to say to the PM and his advisor.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13877225/Sir-Shameless-PM-Sue-Gray-enjoy-Spurs-freebie-lobbyist-backed-breakaway-football-super-league-advises-tax-avoiding-tech-giants.html
    Great piece @Foxy - thanks.

In Vance's book though he makes the point that in his community, and across the fly over states in general, there were a lot of people who would talk proudly about their church going and their religiousness - but didn't actually go near the church in reality. Makes me a bit sceptical of this kind of polling.

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    ·
    36m
    @SkyNews
    that £14k birthday parties funded by Labour donor Lord Alli were 'in a work context'. I seem to remember someone else trying this defence one...

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    37m
    In today’s
    @thetimes

@cazjwheeler
    covers our latest polling which shows how quickly the Govt’s honeymoon vanished. 17% of Labour voters regret voting for the Party & the public are slightly more likely to think they are exaggerating the state of public finances than being honest

Ironic because the truth is that rather than exaggerating the state of public finances they are severely understating the problem because it is simply too difficult to fix. The £22bn black hole is largely nonsense but the £100bn black hole of a deficit is undisputed fact. The problem Labour, and the outgoing Tory government had, is that they wanted to pretend that wasn't a problem because the implications for what they wanted to do were simply horrendous.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,347

Ange thinks that she's been too honest about NYNYEgate

That she was there with her now-married ex-boyfriend, who’s also an MP?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13878459/Angela-Rayner-holiday-Lord-Alli-Sam-Tarry-New-York.html
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,354

mercator said:

Laura is one of the greatest exponents of "gotcha" journalism.

Guest: "Boris Johnson is a liar!"

Kuenssberg: "That is quite a charge."

Gotcha! February 2023.
    Guest: It's not unwarranted. Do you want me to spend the next 15 minutes giving many examples of his lies, Laura? No? Thought not.
    Sandpit said:

Now we’re getting towards the actual story.

Sir Keir was in Spurs hospitality box last weekend with Sue Gray and Katie Perrior, a lobbyist behind the Euro Super League breakaway. I wonder what she had to say to the PM and his advisor.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13877225/Sir-Shameless-PM-Sue-Gray-enjoy-Spurs-freebie-lobbyist-backed-breakaway-football-super-league-advises-tax-avoiding-tech-giants.html

Incredible coincidence.
    Farage must be laughing himself to sleep these days.

If, or now looking like, when Labour confirm that they really are all the same and are too busy lining their own pockets to fix the mess, then he will be taking those 2nd place Reform seats to first in large numbers.

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

theProle said:

But that's a pretty complete (if childish) definition of "sinful". If he buys the book and the man, Why else? is a meaningless question.
  • DavidL said:

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    ·
    36m
    @SkyNews

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    37m
    In today’s
    @thetimes

@cazjwheeler

Ironic because the truth is that rather than exaggerating the state of public finances they are severely understating the problem because it is simply too difficult to fix. The £22bn black hole is largely nonsense but the £100bn black hole of a deficit is undisputed fact. The problem Labour, and the outgoing Tory government had, is that they wanted to pretend that wasn't a problem because the implications for what they wanted to do were simply horrendous.
    George Osborne grins and reminds everyone he has already done it once and if it wasnt for the splurge of his successors we wouldn't need to be doing it again.
  • mercator said:

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

theProle said:

But that's a pretty complete (if childish) definition of "sinful". If he buys the book and the man, Why else? is a meaningless question.
    Not really.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1-ip47WYWc

Why people cherrypick gay as "sin" but not the other elements is a pretty meaningful question.
    Cookie said:

kamski said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

It's the more procedural type things I have more trouble understanding as sinful than behaviours and thoughts being so, even if I don't agree with the latter being wrong.

It just seems odd that God would sweat over the small stuff.
    mwadams said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Cookie said:

theProle said:

Foxy said:

This is the fundamental belief in all religious systems - that it is something more than "made up by humans." If you cannot get past that belief, you don't have the religion thing.

As It happens, it is also a trap for lots of scientists. They shift from understanding that they are describing or modeling the observed universe to a belief that they have revealed some more fundamental 'truth'. This is independent of their religious beliefs. Mathematicians are particulary prone, largely because their abstractions continue to be "spookily" good at then being adapted into said models of observed phenomena and often indistinguishable from revealed truth. Peak experiences when everything falls into place tend to reinforce this sense of revelation.
    Or, as Einstein put it, rather more succinctly, "God does not play dice." The elegance of E=MC2 led him to believe that there must be a higher power that created a universe where that was so.
  • Last week was a smorgasboard of bad news for the Government, so I am now just catching up with the news that they did have an impact assessment for the Winter Fuel changes, despite Starmer outright denying that they did. This is a tough one in a number of ways. He now looks like a liar, or an incompetent. But we must assume that worse is on the way with the contents of the assessment bound to be made public. If the assessment found the change would have minimal impact, it seems unlikely that its existence would have been denied. If it contains a significant number of frozen grannies, in today's febrile and emotive political climate, that looks catastrophic for a Government that has been forced to defend its use of free designer clobber, penthouses in New York, and significant expense claims for energy.

I don't really support that outrage (about policies resulting in some deaths) because I think it leads to things like lockdown, where many more lives are blighted (and actually lost) in the cause of a few, but it is where we are, and it is the emotional landscape that Starmer and his team have been making hay with for the last 5 years.

Single Person Discount, Winter Fuel Payments, Bus passes for the elderly all seem to be for the chop or scaled back to those who are on existing means testing. So UC or PC.
    Many local councils have council tax discount schemes (put in place when council tax benefit was ended and responsibility handed to the local councils) these also seem likely for the chop. A lot of people currently not paying any council tax, or derisory amounts are going to start getting bills.

DavidL said:

Jason Groves
    @JasonGroves1
    ·
    36m
    @SkyNews

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    37m
    In today’s
    @thetimes

@cazjwheeler

George Osborne grins and reminds everyone he has already done it once and if it wasnt for the splurge of his successors we wouldn't need to be doing it again.
    Yeah, and he was more than smart enough to know that although it absolutely needed to be done, doing it meant that the top job was always going to beyond his reach. Which is quite heroic, when you think about. Will Reeves do the same? We shall find out next month.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Well, I've just watched the Kuenssberg-Rayner interview in its entirety. This will be a minority view in the prevailing PB zeitgeist, but I thought Rayner was pretty impressive given the context - coherent and unflustered. Apart from a reference to being 'overly transparent' (!), she dealt with the tricky stuff pretty well.