Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Will the weirdo cat hater be gone soon? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977

Taz said:

Has PB discussed this excellent decision by Tesco? I may even do a thread on it.

Tesco ditches cash payments at 40 cafes

Retailer says the move has improved the cafe experience by cutting waiting times

Tesco has ditched cash at 40 of its cafes with customers forced to pay by card at self-service machines.

The supermarket giant says the overhaul has boosted the customer experience and the changes have been well-received, but critics said it was “bonkers” and risked alienating elderly customers.

Martin Quinn, of Campaign for Cash, branded the change a “mad decision”.

He said: “Many of the customers will be elderly or retirees who want to order in person, not press a computer screen. This is a mad decision.”

So far, 40 cafes have been redesigned and more are thought to be in the pipeline.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/consumer-affairs/tesco-ditches-cash-at-cafes/

Disgraceful decision which will victimise the mostly pensioner customer base they have.
    Stop patronising pensioners. They are perfectly capable of using cards/phones. And millions do, daily!
    My dad is 74 and is on his phone constantly, like a teenager tiktokker.

Is that abnormal? Maybe, I have no idea, and I know plenty of older people who do prefer to use cash (or at least avoid self service machines), and can easily believe removing that option from them is a stupid decision.

But a victimising disgrace? Can't see it. Not because I don't care about the experiences of older people, but because it seems like Tesco's choice, and if it is the wrong one I imagine some local cafes can spot an opportunity.
  • This point has been made many, many times on PB...

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    7h
    This is why I treat polling that shows people are willing to support higher taxes. In the abstract this is true, but dig deeper and what that really means is they are willing to support higher taxes on other people or and particularly businesses.

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1828753896560574649

There were a couple of phone ins on LBC like that the other day. People can pay more in tax and they should pay more in tax, but those people aren’t the dear caller, oh no, it’s some other nebulous group of people.
    People simply want to be fair by asking the rich* to pay a little more. Surely that's not unreasonable?

* "Rich" being defined as having more money than me by a sufficient margin that it isn't likely to affect me in the foreseeable future.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

kle4 said:

Taz said:

Has PB discussed this excellent decision by Tesco? I may even do a thread on it.

Retailer says the move has improved the cafe experience by cutting waiting times

Tesco has ditched cash at 40 of its cafes with customers forced to pay by card at self-service machines.

The supermarket giant says the overhaul has boosted the customer experience and the changes have been well-received, but critics said it was “bonkers” and risked alienating elderly customers.

He said: “Many of the customers will be elderly or retirees who want to order in person, not press a computer screen. This is a mad decision.”

So far, 40 cafes have been redesigned and more are thought to be in the pipeline.

Disgraceful decision which will victimise the mostly pensioner customer base they have.
    If so, then surely they will reverse the decision as it will provide to be a disaster?

If it does not and in fact they do just fine, then I cannot really get that worked up about it unless they are breaking some requirement to accept cash - if it is purely a business decision it's simply a question of whether it helps or hinders the business, not one of disgrace or lack thereof.

Personally I'd assume giving people more ways to pay then less would be better, with impact on wait times not that significant, but that's their choice.
    Loads of cafes, coffee shops and even pubs around me are cashless and have been for years. Ditto the entire London bus network.
    C

A

S

H
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

As ever, the move is more to the advantage of the retailer - who has to deal with all that cash - than the customer.

I wish, for once, retailers (and banks!) were honest about this, instead of the 'quicker' excuse.
    It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

Cash is a pointless pain.
    For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

But as a selfish right-winger, you only ever think of yourself. ;)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722

Kamala has really, really got under Trump's paper thin skin.

LOL.

That paper thin skin will be because he is so old...
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

This point has been made many, many times on PB...

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    7h
    This is why I treat polling that shows people are willing to support higher taxes. In the abstract this is true, but dig deeper and what that really means is they are willing to support higher taxes on other people or and particularly businesses.

There were a couple of phone ins on LBC like that the other day. People can pay more in tax and they should pay more in tax, but those people aren’t the dear caller, oh no, it’s some other nebulous group of people.
    People simply want to be fair by asking the rich* to pay a little more. Surely that's not unreasonable?

* "Rich" being defined as having more money than me by a sufficient margin that it isn't likely to affect me in the foreseeable future.
    I think Dan Neidle had someone asking a couple of questions as part of a survey and the end result was that people were happy to pay a bit more tax. Where the extra tax was something like an extra £1 a week max
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458

As ever, the move is more to the advantage of the retailer - who has to deal with all that cash - than the customer.

I wish, for once, retailers (and banks!) were honest about this, instead of the 'quicker' excuse.
    It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Well cashless has worked on London bus network for years. It’s a non-issue. People very rapidly get used to it and wonder why they ever bothered lugging around stupid slips of plastic and daft scraps of metal. It’s silly.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541
    edited August 28
    Meanwhile, from a thread on the great polling miss of 2024;

Now some charts...

1. The polls for the general election over-estimated Labour and Reform support, and under-estimated Conservative and Lib Dem support.
    2. While it was not the best night for the polling industry, there was a fair bit of variation in their performance.

Verian - whose recruit their panel through random probability sampling had the lowest error.

People Polling - run by Reform-supporting Matt Goodwin - had the highest error.

https://bsky.app/profile/drjennings.bsky.social/post/3l2rulwxwy72h

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Well cashless has worked on London bus network for years. It’s a non-issue. People very rapidly get used to it and wonder why they ever bothered lugging around stupid slips of plastic and daft scraps of metal. It’s silly.
    Ah, so you speak for 'the people' now, and know what they think. ;)

As I've pointed out before, and you routinely ignore, cash is, at worst, a really useful backup. And one I get to use surprisingly often.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Guess who’s turned up writing for the Telegraph, defending the majority of the airport pissheads who don’t get a fight when the bar is open at 7am?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/punish-airport-louts-who-cant-handle-drink/
  • kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

Talking of old films, I went to see Pulp Fiction at the cinema last night. At the risk of making many of you feel old it was the 30th anniversary of its release.

It stood up pretty well. The music was excellent and the conversational parts were still hilarious. Rather more casual racism than you would get these days. There was a bit where they were driving in a car and it was incredibly obvious that it was a movie out the back window and they were not actually driving but I suspect that was Tarentino's joke/homage to earlier films.

Well worth a watch if you can catch it.

Going to watch Pulp Fiction at the Phoenix in Oxford in Oct 94 and then going for Chinese food afterwards with a group of about 10 from college was my No.1 Gen X zeitgeist moment of the 90s.
    Is the mid-1990s the last "previous era"?

DavidL's post got me thinking about how the passage of time is not linear. 1970s television series Happy Days looked back only 20 years but it was another world. 20 years before now, 2004, is merely a primitive version of now, with mobile but not quite smart phones, and the web just before Twitter and YouTube.

1994 had mobile phones but they were status items. Rich people with teenage children had home computers but they were by no means universal. PCs were, however, taking over offices. Britpop. Cool Britannia. Whatever happened to Oasis? Tbh in the course of writing this paragraph, I've changed my mind. 1994 was not qualitatively different from now.
    Partially that's you showing your age though.

My kids see things from the 90s or hear things described from the 90s and its utterly alien to them and sounds like the 50s would have to me.

The idea of only watching what's being broadcast, everyone watching the same thing or not watching anything at all; the idea of live TV broadcasts let alone the idea of being unable to pause/rewind live TV; the lack of streaming; the lack of YouTube and self-broadcasts.

When I watched TV in the 80s I'd watch cartoons made for then like He Man or Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (not allowed to use the word Ninja in the UK), as well as cartoons from my parents generation like Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry etc.

When my kids watch "TV" now they go on Kids YouTube and watch streamers like Mariah Elizabeth or Aphmau.

The cultural change from then to now is leaps and bounds.
    The telly hasn't got any better though. It's still 99% shite. Arguably 1990s telly was of a higher standard.
    Because telly is for old farts now.

Everyone else is spending time online, as we are here, not watching the telly.

And streaming means it doesn't matter if its 99% shit as there's so many things out there there's something for everyone.
    It isn't for old farts. I still watch telly.
    The prosecution rests.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

Very wise move by Tesco. Part of a growing trend for cafes to get rid of cash: a pointless waste of time and materials. Makes great sense.
    I wish places would ditch payments by phone. There is nothing worse than bring stuck in a queue behind someone who wants to pay using their phone but their battery has run out.
    Cash is less of a problem but I think it is time we phased out coins less than 10 pence denomination, I can't see they serve any useful purpose. Correct me if I am wrong as I was quite young but I think when we stopped using farthings and then hapennies (1967?) they actually were worth more than 1 penny now.
    Halfpennies survived decimalisation. I think they were finally withdrawn in 1984 but I wouldn't swear to the exact year.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    7h

The other thing is polling shows people who are happy to pay more tax aren’t happy to pay a lot more.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Sandpit said:

Guess who’s turned up writing for the Telegraph, defending the majority of the airport pissheads who don’t get a fight when the bar is open at 7am?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/punish-airport-louts-who-cant-handle-drink/

I bet he’s been banned from a few forums after being on the wrong side of a second bottle.
  • Has PB discussed this excellent decision by Tesco? I may even do a thread on it.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

The only people who "need" cash are drug dealers.
  • Omnium said:

Starmer government approval ratings

Maybe less doom and gloom is needed from Starmer and labour

23% approval
    51% disapproval

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1828810673398104174?t=5c9cU_0xQcF7OJ8N5ibY7w&s=19

https://x.com/YouGov/status/1828810675919229293?t=snufQEZ3jLPBdyrsibg4VA&s=19

7 weeks in, and years away from an election. The country is in a parlous state, needs some hard decisions taking and the public need to come to terms with them. Telling us it's all sunlit uplands isn't going to cut it.
    The PB Tory strategy is the opposite - keep giving away free stuff and pretend everything is great. Bizarre, but there it is.
    Once upon a time the phrase 'PB Tory' meant something. There was undoubtedly a strong Tory bias here, and understandably so because that represented the most sensible view. I think that's long gone though. Despite high hopes nothing much that equates to sense ever came out of the Johnson government, and when Truss lurched into the picture in a way that'd give broken down evil witches of all directions nightmares, well then it was all over.

I think it's much more 'PB lost-in-the-woods' people nowadays. That certainly describes me. I don't mind being lost and I will find my way back, but I can tell you here and now that if the shelter ahead has a Farage brand then I'm turning back to the woods.
    My new current favourite old song is called Out In The Woods, and Leon sings "I'm looooost in the wooooods" a few times

It's from his 1972 album Carney ,and it's definitely permanently joining my long walk playlist

Leon Russell obvs. I'm still obsessed with his music

https://youtu.be/RW62LP9a5Yc

• TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Taz said:

People have an odd view of what a pensioner is, I think normally based on what one was when the person doing the imagining was much younger.

Someone who is 80 now was born in 1944, was a youth in the swinging 60s, and retired well into this century when offices were packed with computers, mobile phone use was near universal etc.

This idea that there are many pensioners knocking about who are anachronistic figures from some long forgotten age, who can't get their head around chip'n'pin is fanciful.
    As I’m drawing one of my two DB pensions I’m probably a pensioner. Although in full time work too until the end of the year.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Or me, when I want to use the lockers at the swimming pool...
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    Sandpit said:

Annual way of Ryanair getting free publicity. Never going to happen but works a treat for marketing.
  • Has PB discussed this excellent decision by Tesco? I may even do a thread on it.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Time for your pool to upgrade to the 21st century then.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091
    ydoethur said:

Very wise move by Tesco. Part of a growing trend for cafes to get rid of cash: a pointless waste of time and materials. Makes great sense.
    I wish places would ditch payments by phone. There is nothing worse than bring stuck in a queue behind someone who wants to pay using their phone but their battery has run out.
    Cash is less of a problem but I think it is time we phased out coins less than 10 pence denomination, I can't see they serve any useful purpose. Correct me if I am wrong as I was quite young but I think when we stopped using farthings and then hapennies (1967?) they actually were worth more than 1 penny now.
    Halfpennies survived decimalisation. I think they were finally withdrawn in 1984 but I wouldn't swear to the exact year.
    The graph at https://bjh21.me.uk/denom/ suggests that the 1p is already worth considerably less than the 1/2p was at the point when it was withdrawn, and the 2p isn't too far off. I think we could reasonably dump both the 1p and 2p coins these days...
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Well that's patently untrue, because it implies that drug buyers need cash to the same extent. As do people who need to buy edgy stuff like bread and petrol and who find it impossible to get a working card.

Your entire posting can be summarised as "Thank God I am not as other men are." Actually even the very poor, mad, elderly, demented and alcoholic deserve to live in a world prepared to sell them food.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Omnium said:

Once upon a time the phrase 'PB Tory' meant something. There was undoubtedly a strong Tory bias here, and understandably so because that represented the most sensible view. I think that's long gone though. Despite high hopes nothing much that equates to sense ever came out of the Johnson government, and when Truss lurched into the picture in a way that'd give broken down evil witches of all directions nightmares, well then it was all over.

I think it's much more 'PB lost-in-the-woods' people nowadays. That certainly describes me. I don't mind being lost and I will find my way back, but I can tell you here and now that if the shelter ahead has a Farage brand then I'm turning back to the woods.

I detect a number on here who would dearly love the Conservative Party to become again something it once was whether it be a "one nation" party or a strongly Thatcherite party. This notion of going back to the future is something you often see with parties defeated after long periods in office.

It's much easier to look back at another period of success and believe simply re-creating that success would succeed now than to look seriously ar the reasons for current failure and work out what might work in the near future.

What for example is the vision for Conservative Britain in 2030?

The number of political "orphans" on here has probably never been higher. The direction the Conservative Party takes under its new leader will be significant in that regard. Guido today reports polling claiming half of Conservative members would support a merger with Reform - my two thoughts on that are a) half presumably wouldn't and b) has anyone asked Reform whether they want to merge with the Conservatives?

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,020

Taz said:

People have an odd view of what a pensioner is, I think normally based on what one was when the person doing the imagining was much younger.

Someone who is 80 now was born in 1944, was a youth in the swinging 60s, and retired well into this century when offices were packed with computers, mobile phone use was near universal etc.

This idea that there are many pensioners knocking about who are anachronistic figures from some long forgotten age, who can't get their head around chip'n'pin is fanciful.
    I was born in 1944 and for me personally I have no issues with a cashless society or using banking apps for shopping

However, I also accept that there remains a good number of pensioners who still rely on cash and I just cannot understand the animosity towards their wish to continue using cash or indeed animosity to pensioners generally

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

As I've pointed out before, and you routinely ignore, cash is, at worst, a really useful backup. And one I get to use surprisingly often.
    Haven’t used or needed cash for more than a decade.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    stodge said:

Omnium said:

I detect a number on here who would dearly love the Conservative Party to become again something it once was whether it be a "one nation" party or a strongly Thatcherite party. This notion of going back to the future is something you often see with parties defeated after long periods in office.

It's much easier to look back at another period of success and believe simply re-creating that success would succeed now than to look seriously ar the reasons for current failure and work out what might work in the near future.

The number of political "orphans" on here has probably never been higher. The direction the Conservative Party takes under its new leader will be significant in that regard. Guido today reports polling claiming half of Conservative members would support a merger with Reform - my two thoughts on that are a) half presumably wouldn't and b) has anyone asked Reform whether they want to merge with the Conservatives?

It will first go to reform and fail because of demographics. It may or may not get an election win but if it does it will be another incompetent disaster once in power.

Then I suspect it will succeed as a party that priorities the economy and the environment and gets the balance between those two right. Probably 15 years away and that is a vision that will attract the younger generations.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

That's you, and that's fine.

But it's fairly narrow-minded to assume that everyone is the same as you; or that they have use-cases that you don't have.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

If cash were abolished, I'm sure that the small time grow at home and sell to friends dealers could easily adapt to barter
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604

Kamala has really, really got under Trump's paper thin skin.

LOL.

That paper thin skin will be because he is so old...
    Orange don't tinge.
    edited August 28

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Not sure you are considering all the ramifications of your position. Guess how much money was lost to online fraud in the most recent year for which we have stats? Go on, guess. And guess how much of that was defrauded from people who could tell the fraudster Sorry I only do cash? You will say, rightly, that the fraud victims tended to be older and less intelligent than the median. Does an advanced society go out of its way to protect the elderly and stupid, or does it expose them to excess risk for the benefit of the in-their-own-minds young and intelligent? Did cash bully you at school?

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

How would you give a backhander to the planning officials without cash?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    eek said:

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    7h

I think Dan Neidle had someone asking a couple of questions as part of a survey and the end result was that people were happy to pay a bit more tax. Where the extra tax was something like an extra £1 a week max
    If all adults paid an extra £1 a week, that would be £3.5 billion. All breast cancer care, which Trussites want cut, in the UK is about £0.8 billion.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Okay. Think for a minute how that works:

At the moment you put a pound coin in the locker and withdraw the key. When you come back, you unlock it with the key and get the pound coin out. It is not a financial transaction; but a little security to ensure some idiots do not lock all the lockers.

There are alternative systems, but from what I've read they all have various issues, not the least cost.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    mercator said:

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Well that's patently untrue, because it implies that drug buyers need cash to the same extent. As do people who need to buy edgy stuff like bread and petrol and who find it impossible to get a working card.

Your entire posting can be summarised as "Thank God I am not as other men are." Actually even the very poor, mad, elderly, demented and alcoholic deserve to live in a world prepared to sell them food.
    Bart is an absolutist on every position. It must take up a lot of energy.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    ydoethur said:

1/2p coins (i.e 1/200th of a £) were actually *introduced* at decimalisation, whereas the old ha’penny (i.e. 1/480th of a £) was abolished earlier. That fraction of the new penny was needed to convert some prices from old money which wouldn’t have converted otherwise. They were indeed withdrawn in 1984.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159

23% approval
    51% disapproval

7 weeks in, and years away from an election. The country is in a parlous state, needs some hard decisions taking and the public need to come to terms with them. Telling us it's all sunlit uplands isn't going to cut it.
    It's not about sunlit uplands it's about reflecting the state of the nation. Yes some things are bad and yes we probably need a pretty big discussion around the role of the state etc... and some tough decisions on spending and tax. Yet it's not doom and gloom as Labour continually say, doom and gloom doesn't match people's own experience and it's starting to look like Labour are trying to create a flat lining economy so they to justify tax rises.

They can talk about a fiscal black hole until they're blue (or red in their case) in the face but no one seems to believe it because they hear 0.7% and 0.6% growth, people's own wage growth has been running ahead of inflation for a solid year now and everyone feels better off than they did last winter. Talk of a fiscal black hole doesn't compute when the government is awarding record payrises across the public sector, if they had held back on the payrises and held the line until the budget I think people might have believed them. However, lavishing record pay increases across multiple areas of state employment means that no one believes the idea of a fiscal black hole.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

I haven't used or needed the NHS, the state education system, the criminal or civil justice system or the bus network for more than a decade, so what are they still doing here? #notallaboutme

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

And numismatists.
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

1/2p coins (i.e 1/200th of a £) were actually *introduced* at decimalisation, whereas the old ha’penny (i.e. 1/480th of a £) was abolished earlier. That fraction of the new penny was needed to convert some prices from old money which wouldn’t have converted otherwise. They were indeed withdrawn in 1984.
    I remember my primary school having a collection of half-pennies to give to charity.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    "No prison for Nigel Farage Attacker?!

BlackBeltBarrister"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YeQL9Z-iy8
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

At the moment you put a pound coin in the locker and withdraw the key. When you come back, you unlock it with the key and get the pound coin out. It is not a financial transaction; but a little security to ensure some idiots do not lock all the lockers.

There are alternative systems, but from what I've read they all have various issues, not the least cost.
    This is what you need.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

That is your choice but others take a different view

Both have a role in our society and I expect cash will be around for a very long time

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

A

R

G

E

N

T
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    7h

The Economist did a survey a long while back.

The Rich are those who have an income 200%+ for whoever you talk to, apparently.

• Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

It's remarkable how much cash triggers you.

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

A

R

G

E

N

T
    God gave rock and roll to you, gave rock and roll to you
    Put it in the soul of everyone
    Do you know what you want? You don't know for sure
    You don't feel right, you can't find a cure
    And you're gettin' less than what you're lookin' for
    You don't have money or a fancy car
    And you're tired of wishin' on a falling star
    You gotta put your faith in a loud guitar
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

And numismatists.
    And what about people trying to buy fissile material on the black market? It’s bad enough with Tom Cruise or Stallone turning up at every buy, as it is….

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Get some cash

Buy some drugs

Wean yourself off TRUSS
    MaxPB said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

It's not about sunlit uplands it's about reflecting the state of the nation. Yes some things are bad and yes we probably need a pretty big discussion around the role of the state etc... and some tough decisions on spending and tax. Yet it's not doom and gloom as Labour continually say, doom and gloom doesn't match people's own experience and it's starting to look like Labour are trying to create a flat lining economy so they to justify tax rises.

They can talk about a fiscal black hole until they're blue (or red in their case) in the face but no one seems to believe it because they hear 0.7% and 0.6% growth, people's own wage growth has been running ahead of inflation for a solid year now and everyone feels better off than they did last winter. Talk of a fiscal black hole doesn't compute when the government is awarding record payrises across the public sector, if they had held back on the payrises and held the line until the budget I think people might have believed them. However, lavishing record pay increases across multiple areas of state employment means that no one believes the idea of a fiscal black hole.
    Everyone can see through the spin and that's reflected in the government's latest approval ratings.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

stodge said:

Omnium said:

It will first go to reform and fail because of demographics. It may or may not get an election win but if it does it will be another incompetent disaster once in power.

Then I suspect it will succeed as a party that priorities the economy and the environment and gets the balance between those two right. Probably 15 years away and that is a vision that will attract the younger generations.
    I really wonder what happens next time out. Conventional wisdom says the Tories recover a bit, no matter what, simply because the shellacking they got on July 4th was so extreme.
    However if they are looking at Reform for their future, they can still lose yet more seats to the Lib Dems. Ed Davey has a cadre of high quality new MPs behind him, many with very solid majorities. Having so many MPs gives greater resources to the party, greater research, more information and the opportunity to be very creative on policy and the messaging they can now afford to do. Several Tory seats are quite vulnerable, and with the kind of discipline the Lib Dems now have, they can be targeted, especially if the national share of the vote increases.
    My view is that the Tories are very far from being out of the woods. The wrong leader chosen, more revelations about how bad the last Parliament, especially Truss, really was, and the demographics will literally kill off the Tories. To be fair, they do deserve the knackers yard...
    edited August 28

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

A lot of the Arab restaurants on the Edgware Road near Marble Arch are cash only.
    mercator said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

res
    The PB Tory strategy is the opposite - keep giving away free stuff and pretend everything is great. Bizarre, but there it is.
    Have you considered the context of the original "sunlit uplands" speech? France's capitulation to Hitler created a situation which was arguably almost as serious as 14 years of Tory misrule. There's a serious straw manning going on here. Nobody says anyone should be promising only sunlit uplands, but leadership requires a belief and an assurance that that's the ultimate target even if it's a long way off. SKS does self advancement, not leadership.
    This is a real classic of the genre.

Hitler: almost as bad as the Tories
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,531

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Get some cash

Buy some drugs

Wean yourself off TRUSS
    There's a lettuce joke buried in there somewhere.
    eek said:

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

My wife had a severe stroke 7 years ago, wiping out the right side of her brain, short term memory, orientation, logic and a whole heap of other things people like you take for granted.

She cannot do maths any more, not remotely to deal with a card payment system.

I withdraw a certain amount of cash from her account each month and she slowly spends it, seeing the notes disappear makes sense to her so she understands how much more she can buy before I next give her more bank notes.

She needs cash she is not a drug dealer but you probably don't care about people like my wife and there are lots and lots and lots of them.
    Anyone who needs to budget will be using cash for most things because they don’t have the spare cash to cope with one or 2 more purchases that month.

We really do need to remember how lucky and well paid we are compared to a lot of the population
    Wise words
    edited August 28

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    7h

The Rich are those who have an income 200%+ for whoever you talk to, apparently.

It depends - knowing a couple of billionaires it’s hard to regard those with say £5m as that rich.

The weird bit is that there are Michelin star restaurants where I can simple call up and get a table on the landlords tab

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Now this is where the Americans are well ahead.

The politicians have an annual fundraising dinner, a snip at $5,000 a head, the proceeds of which go to their ‘foundation’ , which just happens to be run by their wife, who earns a meager $250k salary, plus expenses which includes their annual meeting at Sandals in Barbados…

DougSeal said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

If you're going to do unpopular things do them first. They've five years to manage expectations.
    That strategy didn't exactly go well for the Tories, did it?
    It's not written down in stone anywhere that governments will inevitably recover from poor poll ratings as an election approaches.
    Sandpit said:

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

The politicians have an annual fundraising dinner, a snip at $5,000 a head, the proceeds of which go to their ‘foundation’ , which just happens to be run by their wife, who earns a meager $250k salary, plus expenses which includes their annual meeting at Sandals in Barbados…
    Sandals? The House is far nicer
    I'm watching a lecture series on the American Civil War at the moment.

It's astonishing that the Confederates managed to contest Virginia, and defend Richmond, to the very end despite their capital being barely 100 miles from Washington DC.

mercator said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

res
    Have you considered the context of the original "sunlit uplands" speech? France's capitulation to Hitler created a situation which was arguably almost as serious as 14 years of Tory misrule. There's a serious straw manning going on here. Nobody says anyone should be promising only sunlit uplands, but leadership requires a belief and an assurance that that's the ultimate target even if it's a long way off. SKS does self advancement, not leadership.

Irony: almost as hard to detect as an elephant in an ashtray.

Bernard Levin proposed a typo convention called ironics, like italics but slanted backwards.
  • On topic - Trump should never have picked Vance but he won't dump him.

Meanwhile, the US could soon be a heart-beat away from its first President wearing guyliner. Oh what purest heaven to be alive in that glad dawn!
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

Sandals? The House is far nicer
    But they never sponsored the cricket, so your average Brit living half a world away hasn’t heard of them when looking for a random example of an extravagant holiday to an American.
    mercator said:

mercator said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

res

Irony: almost as hard to detect as an elephant in an ashtray.

Bernard Levin proposed a typo convention called ironics, like italics but slanted backwards.
    My version is funnier though
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    edited August 28
    MaxPB said:

Just judging by the amount of scaffolding I've seen going up in August I find it very hard to believe that people are struggling the way they might have been 2-3 years ago.

DougSeal said:

DavidL said:

Talking of old films, I went to see Pulp Fiction at the cinema last night. At the risk of making many of you feel old it was the 30th anniversary of its release.

It stood up pretty well. The music was excellent and the conversational parts were still hilarious. Rather more casual racism than you would get these days. There was a bit where they were driving in a car and it was incredibly obvious that it was a movie out the back window and they were not actually driving but I suspect that was Tarentino's joke/homage to earlier films.

Well worth a watch if you can catch it.

Going to watch Pulp Fiction at the Phoenix in Oxford in Oct 94 and then going for Chinese food afterwards with a group of about 10 from college was my No.1 Gen X zeitgeist moment of the 90s.
    Is the mid-1990s the last "previous era"?

DavidL's post got me thinking about how the passage of time is not linear. 1970s television series Happy Days looked back only 20 years but it was another world. 20 years before now, 2004, is merely a primitive version of now, with mobile but not quite smart phones, and the web just before Twitter and YouTube.

1994 had mobile phones but they were status items. Rich people with teenage children had home computers but they were by no means universal. PCs were, however, taking over offices. Britpop. Cool Britannia. Whatever happened to Oasis? Tbh in the course of writing this paragraph, I've changed my mind. 1994 was not qualitatively different from now.
    Partially that's you showing your age though.

My kids see things from the 90s or hear things described from the 90s and its utterly alien to them and sounds like the 50s would have to me.

The idea of only watching what's being broadcast, everyone watching the same thing or not watching anything at all; the idea of live TV broadcasts let alone the idea of being unable to pause/rewind live TV; the lack of streaming; the lack of YouTube and self-broadcasts.

When I watched TV in the 80s I'd watch cartoons made for then like He Man or Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles (not allowed to use the word Ninja in the UK), as well as cartoons from my parents generation like Flintstones, Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry etc.

When my kids watch "TV" now they go on Kids YouTube and watch streamers like Mariah Elizabeth or Aphmau.

The cultural change from then to now is leaps and bounds.
    The telly hasn't got any better though. It's still 99% shite. Arguably 1990s telly was of a higher standard.
    I keep saying TV was better when there were only 4 or 5 channels.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040

Taz said:

I was born in 1944 and for me personally I have no issues with a cashless society or using banking apps for shopping

However, I also accept that there remains a good number of pensioners who still rely on cash and I just cannot understand the animosity towards their wish to continue using cash or indeed animosity to pensioners generally

I’m a bit older…..I was at school when Big G was born ….. and I’m normally quite happy with using a card, BUT I went this morning to a Men’s Coffee morning where I was asked to pay £2 towards coffee and a tin was passed round. I’m not yet sure how organizations like that can cope with cards without buying a card reader.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455
    edited August 28

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

And numismatists.
    And archaeologists. Think how screwed future archaeologists will be when they dig up Anabob and go through his pockets and try to date him.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    MaxPB said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

I can only speak to my own experience, not yours or anyone else's but Conservatives on here, in the media and elsewhere have been desperately trying to talk up Sunak and Hunt's performance before the election but the fact remains we are on course to borrow £85-£90 billion this year so the public finances are in a sorry state however much you want to' accentuate the positives of what Sunak and Hunt did.

One might argue the NI cuts earlier in the year weren't the best move if you were trying to reduce the deficit. My personal experience is, yes, we have emerged probably into more normal economic times after the dislocation of the pandemic but it was painful especially during 2022 with the energy price rises (and the obscenity of the British Gas profits for example doesn't sit well with me).

We have also had to deal with interest rates and inflation for the first time in more than a decade and that has hurt many people and though it may well be the groundwork carried out by Hunt will enable further interest rate reductions later in the year, inflation in the UK can be sticky.

There's a fair bit of hyperbole around "awarding record payrises across the public sector". I imagine many local Government workers would like a record payrise and whatever the pros and cons of the award to junior doctors to say it's a payrise for all public sector workers is pushing it.

Inevitably in politics, any Government plays to its core vote. The Conservatives cosseted pensioners for more than a decade but times are changing and other groups who weren't in favour for years are having their time in the sun and that will likely be reflected in the priorities of the Budget in October.
    Cicero said:

stodge said:

Omnium said:

I really wonder what happens next time out. Conventional wisdom says the Tories recover a bit, no matter what, simply because the shellacking they got on July 4th was so extreme.
    However if they are looking at Reform for their future, they can still lose yet more seats to the Lib Dems. Ed Davey has a cadre of high quality new MPs behind him, many with very solid majorities. Having so many MPs gives greater resources to the party, greater research, more information and the opportunity to be very creative on policy and the messaging they can now afford to do. Several Tory seats are quite vulnerable, and with the kind of discipline the Lib Dems now have, they can be targeted, especially if the national share of the vote increases.
    My view is that the Tories are very far from being out of the woods. The wrong leader chosen, more revelations about how bad the last Parliament, especially Truss, really was, and the demographics will literally kill off the Tories. To be fair, they do deserve the knackers yard...
    No-one knows. But I doubt the Liberal Democrats will take more seats.

They now have quite a economically centre-right and affluent base, which is about to be hit very hard by Labour.

Luke Tryl
    @LukeTryl
    ·
    7h

I'd say that to be "rich", you don't need to work for a living and can live a comfortable lifestyle without it.
    Carnyx said:

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

And numismatists.
    And archaeologists. Think how screwed future archaeologists will be when they dig up Anabob and go through his pockets and try to date him.
    Pretty certain any red-blooded archaeologist is going to want to date Anabob, coins or not.
    edited August 28

23% approval
    51% disapproval

It isn't difficult to see where the 51% is coming from: at the election 39% voted either Tory or Reform UK, and there's probably around 12% who are hard core Corbynites like Owen Jones.
  • FossFoss Posts: 894
    edited August 28

Taz said:

I’m a bit older…..I was at school when Big G was born ….. and I’m normally quite happy with using a card, BUT I went this morning to a Men’s Coffee morning where I was asked to pay £2 towards coffee and a tin was passed round. I’m not yet sure how organizations like that can cope with cards without buying a card reader.
    I've visited several churches with discrete electronic payment points for donations. The CoE appear to have a programme to roll it out: https://www.churchofengland.org/resources/building-generous-church/generosity-resources/digital-giving-rollout-2022-2024
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,531

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

I'm not sure how many drug dealers you know - but most of the ones of my acquaintance really hate cash.

(I mostly know them through IT projects. They're unsurprisingly quite entrepreneurial and ahead of the game. See also, "not wanting cash")
    stodge said:

MaxPB said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

I can only speak to my own experience, not yours or anyone else's but Conservatives on here, in the media and elsewhere have been desperately trying to talk up Sunak and Hunt's performance before the election but the fact remains we are on course to borrow £85-£90 billion this year so the public finances are in a sorry state however much you want to' accentuate the positives of what Sunak and Hunt did.

One might argue the NI cuts earlier in the year weren't the best move if you were trying to reduce the deficit. My personal experience is, yes, we have emerged probably into more normal economic times after the dislocation of the pandemic but it was painful especially during 2022 with the energy price rises (and the obscenity of the British Gas profits for example doesn't sit well with me).

We have also had to deal with interest rates and inflation for the first time in more than a decade and that has hurt many people and though it may well be the groundwork carried out by Hunt will enable further interest rate reductions later in the year, inflation in the UK can be sticky.

There's a fair bit of hyperbole around "awarding record payrises across the public sector". I imagine many local Government workers would like a record payrise and whatever the pros and cons of the award to junior doctors to say it's a payrise for all public sector workers is pushing it.

Inevitably in politics, any Government plays to its core vote. The Conservatives cosseted pensioners for more than a decade but times are changing and other groups who weren't in favour for years are having their time in the sun and that will likely be reflected in the priorities of the Budget in October.
    The Budget in October is going to be a shitshow.

It will probably lead me to quit my job, and I suspect it will tip an already marginal argument into not worth it anymore.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627

On topic - Trump should never have picked Vance but he won't dump him.

Meanwhile, the US could soon be a heart-beat away from its first President wearing guyliner. Oh what purest heaven to be alive in that glad dawn!

A transition from a pussy grabber to a pussy hater?

Larry will need to hide when either turns up…
    I was at the Costa Coffee in Lancaster last week when the chip and pin machine went down and they announced they were "cash only".

Several people had to leave the queue as they had no alternative. Fortunately, I did. Because I had cash.

You always need cash as a fallback.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,384
    Foss said:

Taz said:

I've visited several churches with discrete electronic payment points for donations.
    I visited a church on holiday last year and there was a QR code you could scan to make a donation.
    edited August 28

Sandpit said:

I bet he’s been banned from a few forums after being on the wrong side of a second bottle.
    The London one or the Forum Romanum?

Seriously, I'm puzzled by his statement it's possible to smuggle vodka etc into Departures.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,571
    Just been to see Hello Dolly at the London Palladium. Just superb ,wonderful entertainment.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    Foss said:

Taz said:

I've visited several churches with discrete electronic payment points for donations. The CoE appear to have a programme to roll it out: https://www.churchofengland.org/resources/building-generous-church/generosity-resources/digital-giving-rollout-2022-2024
    I must say I’d prefer it if they did have a reader or similar.
    ydoethur said:

That'd mean Aliens, and Sex in the City, off the movie list for the White House or wherever the Veep hangs out/

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/article/2024/aug/28/celebration-cat-ladies-through-history-mary-pickford-taylor-swift
    Andy_JS said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

It isn't difficult to see where the 51% is coming from: at the election 39% voted either Tory or Reform UK, and there's probably around 12% who are hard core Corbynites like Owen Jones.
    Quite a few supposedly sensible centrists are apoplectic that Starmer isn't breaking his promises on the EU.
  • FossFoss Posts: 894

Foss said:

Taz said:

It does feel safer than cash when visiting an otherwise unsupervised building.

Foss said:

Taz said:

"Reader, I paid him in cash."

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

This is truly not how it works any more. If you are rich enough to bribe planning officials you run a business of some kind, or can establish one. Same applies to planning official. So you retain PO business services for PR or management consultancy or staff training and it invoices you a million quid which you pay by Bacs. Everyone is happy, Esp Bart and Anabob.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,904
    edited August 28

Taz said:

You can take payments on your phone now. That's how a lot of the "free" Fringe performers have been making a living.

I was at the Costa Coffee in Lancaster last week when the chip and pin machine went down and they announced they were "cash only".

Several people had to leave the queue as they had no alternative. Fortunately, I did. Because I had cash.

Wot Casino said!

Andy_JS said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

Quite a few supposedly sensible centrists are apoplectic that Starmer isn't breaking his promises on the EU.
    Give him time.

He's a master dissembler.
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

That'd mean Aliens, and Sex in the City, off the movie list for the White House
    It's not quite Barbie-Oppenheimer, is it?

Taz said:

Card readers cost peanuts. And are very soon paid for by the increase they generate in extra donations (from people who don’t carry cash).
    Carnyx said:

Sandpit said:

The London one or the Forum Romanum?

Seriously, I'm puzzled by his statement it's possible to smuggle vodka etc into Departures.
    One of the most stupid things about the US is if you change plane there you still have to check into and then out of the country which means you are going through security with the litre of gin you bought duty free at POD. So you think shit, that's a litre of gin gone. But no! They have a dedicated spectrometer which can tell that your gin is indeed gin.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

That'd mean Aliens, and Sex in the City, off the movie list for the White House
    It's not quite Barbie-Oppenheimer, is it?
    Hmmm

"Get away from her you bitch"

:)

Taz said:

Card readers cost peanuts. And are very soon paid for by the increase they generate in extra donations (from people who don’t carry cash).
    And sod the poor, old and stupid. Gotcha

Weirdly I have survived for ten years without it. Are there no other coffee shops in Lancaster?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Foxy said:

23% approval
    51% disapproval

Snatching the coals from the winter fires of the old folk has gone well then.

Very poor start from Reeves frankly.
    Interesting age profile in the change.

Go on, guess.

That's right, the increased disapproval is dominated by the 65+ age range, where disapproval is leading 72-16. By the time you get down to the 25-49 bracket, the disapproval lead is only 41-26.

And given where boosterism got us under Boris, a cold shower of reality may be what we need.

(And for context, the overall YouGov approve/disapprove scores are roughly where they were during the vaccine bounce. The YouGov panel really are ungrateful so-and-sos.)

Full data set here:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/trackers/government-approval
    There is a need to give a bit of hope. People tolerate a bit of blood, toil, sweat and tears if they expect sunny uplands.

Taking sweeties off the oldies was never going to be popular. Go the whole hog and scrap the triple lock for next year, the buggers aren't going to vote Labour anyway.

Tell them that it is the price of the Brexit that they voted for.
    Wow man who will retire on a public sector defined benefit pension that will be likely more than median wages doesn't care about the triple lock because its such a small part of his retirement income....there is a word for people like that and it rhymes with a chancellor just gone
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091
    Foss said:

Foss said:

Taz said:

It does feel safer than cash when visiting an otherwise unsupervised building.
    The random damage vandals might do almost certainly massively outweighs the tiny amount of cash that might accumulate in the cash box over the course of a week for an average unsupervised church. For instance there's a little one near where I grew up that's in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It's got some nice wall paintings of saints that are mediaeval survivals -- but it also has a boarded up east window following some vandalism a while back, and last I heard the cost to fix that was in the five figures. https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-listing/all-saints-little-wenham.html

(You can donate by text or online, if you want ;-))

It is quicker though.

And safer.

And less wasteful.

For you, maybe.

For others, not so much.

This is what you need.

They're okay, but they're another thing to keep on me in case I need it - and I can't keep it on my keyring without leaving my keys dangling from it. Unless I go to the faff of removing it. Whereas a good old pound coin is useful for so much more.