Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : December 11th 2014

SystemSystem Posts: 11,733
edited December 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Preview : December 11th 2014

South Kintyre on Argyll and Bute (SNP defence)
Result of council at last election (2012): Independents 15, Scottish National Party 13, Conservatives 4, Liberal Democrats 4 (No Overall Control, Independents short by 4)
Result of ward at last election (2012) :

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,766
    edited December 2014
    Apologies, the earlier thread about Andy's spreadsheets has been pulled, as erm we forget today was Thursday.

The other thread will be republished tomorrow.
  • Options
    Oh and first

*Innocent face*
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    FalseFlag said:

Carnyx said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

The SNP have shown that people are perfectly willing to engage in politics in the right circumstances. Our mainstream politicians have laboured under this misimpression that it's not their fault they're unpopular: it's just the public raging at globalisation etc. Well, actually, people are pretty keen on politics when they're offered a party that gives them a patriotic vision, that speaks to regular people as equals, and that doesn't just bend to the mainstream media. All three of our main parties have failed to do that, and have instead tried to appeal to a small circle in the media, and filled their operations with advertising executives and PR men. The whole collapse of British identity has happened because the entire political elite has avoided expressing a vision of that identity that appeals to the regular man on the street. As Orwell said, the left in England are people that have long disliked their own country, but what's truly embarrassing is that the Tories have bowed to that consensus. Hence the rise of UKIP.

The notion that the tories hate their own country shows what depths you have to sink to to justify your prejudice. Everything else is contorted drivel as well. I am British and my identity has not collapsed. Inevitably when all the people with chips on their shoulders run out of excuses its 'the PR men' who get it.
    The SNP have managed to engage with the anti English which is one way to stir patritism that Samuel Johnson would recognise.
    The Tories can't be very fond of their own country if they have left it in a state where we have to have foreign anti-submarine aircraft in Scottish coastal waters to do the basic job they should never have let lapse - defence.
    A pretty absurd comment, given we are part of a massive multi nation defence treaty.
    We have not let defense 'lapse'. We are for instance building 2 giant aircraft carriers and helping to develope an advance jet fighter to fly off them. mega billions and funding already the replacement for Trident.
    What a waste of money.

% of GDP defence spending.

UK 2.3
    Swiss 0.8
    New Zealand 1.1

The Empire ended a long time ago.
    Russia 4.2

Strangely you don't criticise them.
  • Options
    Niqab-wearing woman turns out to be intolerant extremist shock:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-30439913
  • Options
    Harsh...... Isam had been very very very very clever too.

In the meantime let's watch UKIPs latest new politics involving big money, backroom fights and stitch ups and a worried leader reported to be harming his colleagues prospects so as not to outshine his...

Popcorn anyone?

20m Jim Pickard @PickardJE
    It's war at the top of Ukip and we have some juicy details: by @kiranstacey and me http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e91ed752-812a-11e4-896c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3LX4jlGP7
    7 Retweets 3 favorites Collapse ReplyRetweetFavorite· 7 Retweets 3 favorites 22m Jim Pickard @PickardJE
    exclusive: Stuart Wheeler refuses to give Ukip more cash unless they give Neil Hamilton a parliamentary candidacy http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e91ed752-812a-11e4-896c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3LX4jlGP7 … FT
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801
    Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Carnyx said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

The SNP have shown that people are perfectly willing to engage in politics in the right circumstances. Our mainstream politicians have laboured under this misimpression that it's not their fault they're unpopular: it's just the public raging at globalisation etc. Well, actually, people are pretty keen on politics when they're offered a party that gives them a patriotic vision, that speaks to regular people as equals, and that doesn't just bend to the mainstream media. All three of our main parties have failed to do that, and have instead tried to appeal to a small circle in the media, and filled their operations with advertising executives and PR men. The whole collapse of British identity has happened because the entire political elite has avoided expressing a vision of that identity that appeals to the regular man on the street. As Orwell said, the left in England are people that have long disliked their own country, but what's truly embarrassing is that the Tories have bowed to that consensus. Hence the rise of UKIP.

The notion that the tories hate their own country shows what depths you have to sink to to justify your prejudice. Everything else is contorted drivel as well. I am British and my identity has not collapsed. Inevitably when all the people with chips on their shoulders run out of excuses its 'the PR men' who get it.
    The SNP have managed to engage with the anti English which is one way to stir patritism that Samuel Johnson would recognise.
    The Tories can't be very fond of their own country if they have left it in a state where we have to have foreign anti-submarine aircraft in Scottish coastal waters to do the basic job they should never have let lapse - defence.
    A pretty absurd comment, given we are part of a massive multi nation defence treaty.
    We have not let defense 'lapse'. We are for instance building 2 giant aircraft carriers and helping to develope an advance jet fighter to fly off them. mega billions and funding already the replacement for Trident.
    What a waste of money.

UK 2.3
    Swiss 0.8
    New Zealand 1.1

Russia 4.2

Not my country so not my concern?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    "Nigel Farage was today urged by David Cameron to tackle alleged “inherent racism and sexism” in UKIP after a barrister’s chances of becoming an MP appeared to have been hit because she was “brown and a woman”.

Suella Fernandes, 34, from London, failed to be selected as the prospective candidate for the rural Sussex seat of Bexhill and Battle.

Local association president John Barnes told the Financial Times: “I think the double whammy of being brown and a woman probably handicaps her still.

The Conservative Party denounced Mr Barnes’s comment as “unacceptable”, while Labour MP Seema Malhotra called on Mr Farage to take action.

Mr Barnes could not be contacted for comment.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/david-cameron-suella-fernandes-not-selected-as-mp-because-she-is-brown-and-a-woman-9917919.html
  • Options
    UKIP should tell Wheeler to get stuffed. Rich people shouldn't be allowed to use their wealth and influence to demand parties bend to their will. We're not the Tories and he's not Rupert Murdoch.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Thanks, Harry. You certainly had your work cut out with all the council elections that are happening today.
  • Options

In the meantime let's watch UKIPs latest new politics involving big money, backroom fights and stitch ups and a worried leader reported to be harming his colleagues prospects so as not to outshine his...

Popcorn anyone?

It's war at the top of Ukip and we have some juicy details: by @kiranstacey and me http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e91ed752-812a-11e4-896c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3LX4jlGP7
    7 Retweets 3 favorites Collapse ReplyRetweetFavorite· 7 Retweets 3 favorites 22m Jim Pickard @PickardJE
    exclusive: Stuart Wheeler refuses to give Ukip more cash unless they give Neil Hamilton a parliamentary candidacy http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/e91ed752-812a-11e4-896c-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3LX4jlGP7 … FT

From the article

One senior party member close to the dispute said: “This is all to do with Nigel's ego. He thinks he may not win in Thanet South [the seat for which he has been selected], so he is determined to bring Neil down.

He cannot bear the thought Neil might be an MP but not Nigel.” A recent opinion poll by the Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft showed Ukip trailing in Thanet South by five points
  • Options

Popcorn anyone?

Phew - he's done it again..... shocking mis-use of " " however should see him in ConUKIPhome for at least 29 minutes.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Socrates said:

UKIP should tell Wheeler to get stuffed. Rich people shouldn't be allowed to use their wealth and influence to demand parties bend to their will. We're not the Tories and he's not Rupert Murdoch.

I very much doubt Mr Wheeler has made any demands about Mr Hamilton.

On the previous thread someone suggested the Hamiltons were the likely source of this article, I agree.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Popcorn anyone?

From the article

One senior party member close to the dispute said: “This is all to do with Nigel's ego. He thinks he may not win in Thanet South [the seat for which he has been selected], so he is determined to bring Neil down.

He cannot bear the thought Neil might be an MP but not Nigel.” A recent opinion poll by the Conservative peer Lord Ashcroft showed Ukip trailing in Thanet South by five points
    It's like Gordon Brown all over again.
  • Options
    Fascinating analysis as ever Mr Hayfield - what an interesting bunch of seats! SNP triumphant? Lib Dem wipe out? Look forward to the results.....
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Dan Hodges has changed the habit of a lifetime by saying some accurate things.

Dan Hodges @DPJHodges · 14h 14 hours ago
    Tories give Lab a chink of light with 1930's cuts. Ed M chooses this moment to start talking up Labour cuts. Someone explain. I can't.

Dan Hodges @DPJHodges · 11h 11 hours ago
    Ed Miliband is literally saying in the same speech "Cuts are bad. I'll cut". "Spending's bad. I'll spend".

• Options

Popcorn anyone?

Phew - he's done it again..... shocking mis-use of " " however should see him in ConUKIPhome for at least 29 minutes.
    Who bit? I take it that's why the thread was deleted
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

"Nigel Farage was today urged by David Cameron to tackle alleged “inherent racism and sexism” in UKIP after a barrister’s chances of becoming an MP appeared to have been hit because she was “brown and a woman”.

Suella Fernandes, 34, from London, failed to be selected as the prospective candidate for the rural Sussex seat of Bexhill and Battle.

Local association president John Barnes told the Financial Times: “I think the double whammy of being brown and a woman probably handicaps her still.

The Conservative Party denounced Mr Barnes’s comment as “unacceptable”, while Labour MP Seema Malhotra called on Mr Farage to take action.

Mr Barnes could not be contacted for comment.”

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/david-cameron-suella-fernandes-not-selected-as-mp-because-she-is-brown-and-a-woman-9917919.html

Perhaps she would have had better chances of a seat if she dated the UKIP General Secretary?
  • Options

Socrates said:

On the previous thread someone suggested the Hamiltons were the likely source of this article, I agree.
    From the article

Mr Wheeler would not say whether he intended to donate more money before the election, or whether he had threatened not to if

Mr Hamilton was not accepted as a parliamentary candidate. He told the FT: “I cannot tell you what internal conversations have gone on.”
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Popcorn anyone?

From the article

It's like Gordon Brown all over again.
    It is hysterical, you can read the article for free by googling the following

"Ukip at war over Neil Hamilton’s pursuit of seat"
  • Options

Socrates said:

From the article

Mr Wheeler would not say whether he intended to donate more money before the election, or whether he had threatened not to if

Mr Hamilton was not accepted as a parliamentary candidate. He told the FT: “I cannot tell you what internal conversations have gone on.”
    ??
    Your point being?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573
    Busy night in the locals. I live in Scotland and find these by elections in STV seats incomprehensible.
  • Options

Socrates said:

From the article

??
    Your point being?
    The point is, Stuart Wheeler has gone on record to give a non-denial denial.
  • Options
    FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Carnyx said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

What a waste of money.

UK 2.3
    Swiss 0.8
    New Zealand 1.1

Russia 4.2

And the behaviour of an until recently decades long opponent of your country with missiles targeted at its key cities is also not your concern? But then again, they are trying to reestablish an empire, so perhaps you view their order of magnitude higher spending as justified?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

Apologies, the earlier thread about Andy's spreadsheets has been pulled, as erm we forget today was Thursday.

Anyway I will republish my tip.
    Ben Carson is currently 100/1 on Ladbrokes for the GOP nomination in 2016, despite being ahead in a second state poll today (N.Carolina) and leveling with Hillary too.
    http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/pdf/2014/PPP_Release_NC_121114.pdf

Carson is rising in the polls for months now and is currently near the top in the national polls.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

His strength is that he can articulate even the most extreme position in a rational and calm way, also he's not an elected politician and he's black, his weakness is that he's not an elected politician and he's black.

Judge for yourselves, here's a recent TV interview of Carson on Bloomberg talking about Ferguson, the Iraq War, the Defense Secretary's resignation and Monetary Policy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OLTJYiLKI

Also a factor for Carson's rise is Rand Paul, who has been sliding in the polls (sorry OGH) probably because he's trying too much in getting left wing votes he forgot he's in the GOP.
  • Options
    Oh Mr Hayfield, you and I are going to have a serious falling out.

Lincoln is most certainly not flat as a pancake. Lincoln itself sits on the Lincoln Edge - as does my own very fair village of Ancaster. The edge runs the length of the county and is part of the same range of hills as the Cotswolds.

True the south and east of the county are pancake-ish in aspect but that is, after all the fringes of Cambridgeshire and so suffers from proximity to that backward county.
  • Options
    isam said:

Popcorn anyone?

PB would be a right mess if a thread was removed every time someone made an arse of themselves.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Just came in from a day knocking up for the Toton by-election. It's the safest Tory ward and to be honest we weren't going to push for the by-election, since the whole council is up in 5 months' time and we felt it was a waste of money, as did the Tories - whoever wins will need to stand for re-election in May. But UKIP forced it to be held anyway and have fought a highly visible campaign, with a loudspeaker van, balloons and tellers at the polling stations. A big local issue is permission given by the Lab/Lib council to build on Toton's green belt - the council says its hand was forced by the Government targets. A final twist was a forgery - a Labour Facebook post was reposted it on the Toton community website over the Labour's candidate's name but with the wording changed to appear to attack himself and endorse the Tory, which is possibly illegal and certainly silly. Did it have an effect? Who knows?

My impression, for what it's worth, is that turnout will be a respectively 25% or so but the UKIP effort will flop - I only met a single Kipper voter all day, though no doubt some of the "not Labour" people were too. I'd guess the Tories will hold it but with a reduced majority.

We'll soon know, though I can't post the result myself as I have to drive back to London later tonight - work meetings tomorrow.
  • Options
    We all ready to make sure our tellies aren't on BBC1 at 10.35pm....
  • Options

Socrates said:

From the article

??
    Your point being?
    The point is, Stuart Wheeler has gone on record to give a non-denial denial.
    In other news, the sun set in the west. Friday is expected to arrive later this week.
  • Options
    isam said:

Popcorn anyone?

Me me me me me all about me. Takes after the leader..
  • Options
    edited December 2014

isam said:

Popcorn anyone?

PB would be a right mess if a thread was removed every time someone made an arse of themselves.
    I thought the thread where Mike slated UKIP for getting the date of the locals wrong was deleted when someone pointed out he was looking at last years PPB? Or is that one still up?
  • Options

Just came in from a day knocking up for the Toton by-election. It's the safest Tory ward and to be honest we weren't going to push for the by-election, since the whole council is up in 5 months' time and we felt it was a waste of money, as did the Tories - whoever wins will need to stand for re-election in May. But UKIP forced it to be held anyway and have fought a highly visible campaign, with a loudspeaker van, balloons and tellers at the polling stations. A big local issue is permission given by the Lab/Lib council to build on Toton's green belt - the council says its hand was forced by the Government targets. A final twist was a forgery - a Labour Facebook post was reposted it on the Toton community website over the Labour's candidate's name but with the wording changed to appear to attack himself and endorse the Tory, which is possibly illegal and certainly silly. Did it have an effect? Who knows?

My impression, for what it's worth, is that turnout will be a respectively 25% or so but the UKIP effort will flop - I only met a single Kipper voter all day, though no doubt some of the "not Labour" people were too. I'd guess the Tories will hold it but with a reduced majority.

We'll soon know, though I can't post the result myself as I have to drive back to London later tonight - work meetings tomorrow.

OK lets make Toton a test of your canvassing skills.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,088
    One can hardly say STV is bizarre just because it delivers outcomes that are different to those under the rules of FPTP. That's the point.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    So in Eds speech, he says High Wage economy. How is he going to get high wages introduced?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

isam said:

Popcorn anyone?

Was QT any good last night?
  • Options
    philiph said:

So in Eds speech, he says High Wage economy. How is he going to get high wages introduced?

He will pass a law doubling everyones salary (apart from bankers of course).
  • Options
    Essentially tonight it's only the Scottish seats and Stamford North that could get interesting.
  • Options
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

isam said:

Popcorn anyone?

Was QT any good last night?
    Re post tomorrow to find out.
  • Options
    philiph said:

Higher minimum wage.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

philiph said:

Higher minimum wage.
    Hardly my definition of high wage. His 8.00 ph is only a tiny annual increase, not adequate to make a difference.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Lincoln is most certainly not flat as a pancake.

I have only been there once, but I can concur that the Castle and Cathedral are at the top of the very appropriately named Steep Hill
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    philiph said:

Something, something, fairness, blah, blah. I think that's what he said.
  • Options
    Whatever happened to YouGov numbers being 10pm on the dot.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,371
    edited December 2014
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B4m4D7PCMAAYxDL.jpg:large

Tricky. David, got anything to say?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,573
    Speedy said:

Ben Carson is currently 100/1 on Ladbrokes for the GOP nomination in 2016, despite being ahead in a second state poll today (N.Carolina) and leveling with Hillary too.

Carson is rising in the polls for months now and is currently near the top in the national polls.
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/2016_republican_presidential_nomination-3823.html

His strength is that he can articulate even the most extreme position in a rational and calm way, also he's not an elected politician and he's black, his weakness is that he's not an elected politician and he's black.

Judge for yourselves, here's a recent TV interview of Carson on Bloomberg talking about Ferguson, the Iraq War, the Defense Secretary's resignation and Monetary Policy:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OLTJYiLKI

Also a factor for Carson's rise is Rand Paul, who has been sliding in the polls (sorry OGH) probably because he's trying too much in getting left wing votes he forgot he's in the GOP.
    Well he seems more rational than that pizza lunatic they had the last time but I am struggling to think of a president who got there without other elected office since Ike. Has he done any good maritime invasions?
  • Options
    glw said:

philiph said:

Something, something, fairness, blah, blah. I think that's what he said.
    Everyone gets a pay rise of 100% via tax credits but their marginal rate of tax also goes up 100% so Ed gets to spend it.

Deficit sorted - Labour econ 101.
  • Options

They've moved it to 10.30pm
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Lincoln is most certainly not flat as a pancake.

I have only been there once, but I can concur that the Castle and Cathedral are at the top of the very appropriately named Steep Hill
    Steep Hill certainly is! Lincolnshire wolds are also not very flat.

Stamford is a lovely town, should be annexed by Rutland in an Anschlaus...
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Ask Mr.Blair, last sighted bringing peace somewhere in the Caribbean Sea.
    Also, isn't Labour lucky NOT to have David Miliband as it's leader?
  • Options

I have obviously not being paying enough attention. I blame it on the EU and new VAT rules (said in Farage voice).
  • Options
    Miliband's Deficit Attention Disorder cured then...

@TimesNewsdesk: Miliband refuses to say how he would cut deficit
    http://t.co/xnAZYnIX3d
  • Options
    The by-election thread copy is always entertaining to read. For those of us with a much milder version of politicalitis than some, it's fun to read about what's going on in local politics in random parts of the country that we may have never visited, and sometimes, barely even heard of. Thanks!
  • Options

I have obviously not being paying enough attention. I blame it on the EU and new VAT rules (said in Farage voice).
    I blame the immigrants for delaying the YouGov.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Greetings peeps, been out amongst the volcanoes and White Walkers all day. Has Ed launched his successful economic case that will have him in Downing Street next May?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Speedy said:

//www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-OLTJYiLKI

Well he seems more rational than that pizza lunatic they had the last time but I am struggling to think of a president who got there without other elected office since Ike. Has he done any good maritime invasions?
    He did a good maritime invasion of Obama:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFb6NU1giRA
  • Options

FalseFlag said:

Socrates said:

FalseFlag said:

Carnyx said:

Socrates said:

@antifrank

What a waste of money.

UK 2.3
    Swiss 0.8
    New Zealand 1.1

Russia 4.2

And the behaviour of an until recently decades long opponent of your country with missiles targeted at its key cities is also not your concern? But then again, they are trying to reestablish an empire, so perhaps you view their order of magnitude higher spending as justified?
    The US?
  • Options

Greetings peeps, been out amongst the volcanoes and White Walkers all day. Has Ed launched his successful economic case that will have him in Downing Street next May?

Judge for yourself...

@DJack_Journo: Ed's got his choppers out in tomorrow's @BrookesTimes cartoon http://t.co/LmFojEG2gl
  • Options
    2m Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB
    FT front page story on UKIP donor Stuart Wheeler threatening to stop funding unless Neil Hamilton gets seat pic.twitter.com/8EWDKvndfv

How does he find these scoops?
  • Options
    @Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by two: CON 32%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%, GRN 7%
  • Options
    Q. If the minimum wage goes up, does the living wage go up too ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead by two: CON 32%, LAB 34%, LD 7%, UKIP 14%, GRN 7%

Tory Cuts Bad, Labour Cuts Good, Edition.
  • Options

In my view, no.
    He probably made it worse by making the deficit more of a political priority and giving the Tories, the Greens and the SNP, more ammunition to hit him with.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited December 2014
    4m steve hawkes @steve_hawkes
    Ten mins to Question Time - and FT reveals Stuart Wheeler will pull all funding for UKIP unless they find Neil Hamilton a seat (Purple Len)

58s Michael Deacon ✔ @MichaelPDeacon
    "A new politics"

Snowballing....
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say that there's now little chance of any Tory bounce from the Chancellor's autumn statement.
    On a slightly more cheery note for the Blue team, it would appear, at least so far as YouGov is concerned, that UKIP has lost just a little support over the recent past.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,246
    edited December 2014
    Hilarious front page from the Mail given that there is no way on God's Green Earth that any Tory Foreign Sec would have put the kybosh on George, Dick & Don's great Rendition and Torture extravaganza. And they all know it, thinking there but for the grace of God would have been I.

Interesting set of by elections tonight. Broxtowe and Sunderland to be informative....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Thanks Scott, Speedy. So nothing to change the assertion that Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister.

Much as expected then.
  • Options

Lincoln is most certainly not flat as a pancake. Lincoln itself sits on the Lincoln Edge - as does my own very fair village of Ancaster. The edge runs the length of the county and is part of the same range of hills as the Cotswolds.

True the south and east of the county are pancake-ish in aspect but that is, after all the fringes of Cambridgeshire and so suffers from proximity to that backward county.

Richard - so true - I live in the very north-western part of the Backward County. I formed a golf society called the "Borders of Lincolnshire and Cambridgeshire Society" - acronym worked for me.
  • Options

FT front page story on UKIP donor Stuart Wheeler threatening to stop funding unless Neil Hamilton gets seat pic.twitter.com/8EWDKvndfv

A PBer with a great sense when it comes to news, emails Mike with the most interesting stories.

This PBer occasionally puts his talents as guest editor.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    As QT begins, get ready for Brand and Farage bingo
    https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/543145469942452224/photo/1
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I hate Russell Brand's voice.
  • Options
    The Week isn't what it used to be but Nigel Horne has done a good job of bottoming out the Bolter/Bird nonsense:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/61754/sex-leaks-and-lies-basildon-brush-off-for-natasha-and-neil#.VInc5eQGr2A.gmail

You'd think that might be the end of it, but wait. Do I hear Mike Smithson's footfall below? Does he have news of Mr Wheeler's intervention? Does a seat have to be found for Hamilton, come what may?

The plot thickens....or does it?
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited December 2014

By assiduously checking the newspapers' front pages (possibly via Sky News)?
  • Options
    Russell has spoken.

Time for bed.
  • Options
    @politicshome: Friday's Guardian front page - Spy agencies asked US to hide British links in torture report http://t.co/hUNhFE8jnH
  • Options
    This is why I love kippers on Twitter.

In reply to Mike's tweet about the FT front page

@Hunter1872: @M0djadji @MSmithsonPB Sounds like you're reading from the New Labour/UAF crib sheet. LibLabCon are terrified of UKIP, and voters know it.
  • Options

4m steve hawkes @steve_hawkes
    Ten mins to Question Time - and FT reveals Stuart Wheeler will pull all funding for UKIP unless they find Neil Hamilton a seat (Purple Len)

58s Michael Deacon ✔ @MichaelPDeacon
    "A new politics"

Snowballing....

Will Farage & Co. cave in, that is the question?
  • Options
    Speedy on Ben Carson. I got on at over 120 on Betfair for Republican nomination. Don't think he'll make it all the way, but odds will shorten further.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

If only he had spent more time attending classes at the private school we paid for him to attend rather than on the drugs, he at least might not sound like such a ignorant tw@t.
  • Options
    Bobajob_Bobajob_ Posts: 195
    Decentish poll for Labour.
    In the words of Peter from Putney, a couple more points for Labour in fairly short order could be something.

Not that it will happen - just bouncing around the mean.
  • Options

If only he had spent more time attending classes at the private school we paid for him to attend rather than on the drugs, he at least might not sound like such a ignorant tw@t.
    Did he go to private school? What do you mean "we paid for"?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

Did he go to private school? What do you mean "we paid for"?
    We, the tax payer, paid for him to attend Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts (costs £4k+ a term these days), but he got kicked out for lack of attendance and drug abuse. Something to remember when he attacks the like of Robert Webb for their educational achievements.
  • Options

I think it's safe to say that there's now little chance of any Tory bounce from the Chancellor's autumn statement.
    On a slightly more cheery note for the Blue team, it would appear, at least so far as YouGov is concerned, that UKIP has lost just a little support over the recent past.

Peak Kipper ? Yeah.

@IanAustinMP: Brilliant. @marycreagh_mp puts Farage in place. He's the non career politician who stood for Parliament 5 times
  • Options

...and it's put on
  • Options
    @sammacrory: Farage praises the high voter turnout in Australia... which has a system of compulsory voting #bbcqt
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Not mentioned by Harry in his by election round up are that the 2 Aylesbury by elections are in wards part of larger CC divisions which were both won by UKIP in 2013 . The UKIP candidate in Sourhcourt is in fact the UKIP County councillor for the larger Aylesbury South West division
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@sammacrory: Farage praises the high voter turnout in Australia... which has a system of compulsory voting #bbcqt

Did he praise the turnout? I didn't hear that
  • Options

The Week isn't what it used to be but Nigel Horne has done a good job of bottoming out the Bolter/Bird nonsense:

http://www.theweek.co.uk/politics/61754/sex-leaks-and-lies-basildon-brush-off-for-natasha-and-neil#.VInc5eQGr2A.gmail

You'd think that might be the end of it, but wait. Do I hear Mike Smithson's footfall below? Does he have news of Mr Wheeler's intervention? Does a seat have to be found for Hamilton, come what may?

The plot thickens....or does it?

"After all that, Ukip has chosen Kerry Smith to stand for South Basildon and East Thurrock, subject to Ukip HQ’s approval.

20/1 lovely...

He’ll have a hard time being as colourful a contender as Bolter and Hamilton – but he does have a very good chance of becoming an MP on 7 May 2015 if Ukip can steer clear of further roadblocks"

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Not going to lie, Farage hit the nail on the head before. One of the main reasons about how petty and vitriolic politics has become is, ironically, because of the fact their policies are so similar -- because they agree on everything (such as the deficit), they literally have nothing else to say apart from kneejerk tribalism.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    HYUFD said:

As QT begins, get ready for Brand and Farage bingo
    https://twitter.com/bbcquestiontime/status/543145469942452224/photo/1

BINGO!, immigration.
  • Options

Russell has spoken.

Time for bed.

Mary Creagh slaughters Brand, great stuff
  • Options
    Assumed Cantebury audience would be much rightie than this
  • Options
    Well, QT is hotting up...
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    This back lash is hilarious
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,318
    QT Now turning into panto, but Brand being confronted on immigration and its impact while also hitting Farage on bankers' bonuses
  • Options
    Loony left mask slipping.
  • Options
    QT is becoming like the Jerry Springer Show.
    I love it.
  • Options
    Poundshop Enoch Powell. Lolz.
  • Options
    Lol classic QT
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,935
    Extraordinary QT.
  • Options