Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the UKIP Basildon selection

Comments

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited December 2014

isam said:

isam said:

I should've gone for it in SB&ET

The constituency literally starts at the end of my road. But it is one of the biggest around I think... covers places in Essex I have never heard of

EDIT: My road is actually in the constituency! v long road

Didn't you tip UKIP for that at 12/1 some time ago?

Aiiii!

Hamilton is a political joke, they might as well select Jeffrey Archer for a seat.
    At this rate they'll be welcoming Dennis McShane on board as Head of IT. He can look after the 'banks of computers' in Forage's shed.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

GeoffM said:

I wondered when someone would deploy this bombshell against Labour's Burnham. Clegg won this one. It should be used everytime Labour whinge about privatising the NHS.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/45865/burnham_hits_out_at_clegg_over_nhs_privatisation_claim.html
    "The NAO report of the bidding process published on 8 November 2012 clearly states that in December 2009 there were only 3 bidders left in the process - Circle Health, Ramsay Health Care UK and Serco Health.
    "It says on page 20 that 'the two NHS trusts involved both withdrew at early stages of the process.'"

Burnham is an utter liar and typical Labour hypocrite.

Wonder what Big John thinks of this?
    He won't care as long as taxpayers money carries on lining his golden pension pot.
    There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is the Tories privatising the NHS - BJO
    What about when Burnham did it?
    He didnt.

You might be thinking of Milburn the 2nd worst SOS in my 33 years in NHS

Lab had an NHS preferred provider policy under Burnham.

Scrapped by the coalition.

Lansley was the worst by the way with his flawed conflict of interest reforms.

By the way Ken Clarke was one of the best.
    Think you had better keep up with what has happened today before you look even more stupid.
    I have kept up to date. These things are important to me.

When Burnham left office an NHS hospital was still involved in the bidding process, Peterboro and Stamford.

Circle were appointed in 2011.

Are you stupidly taking the facts from the wrong source?
    I don't think that correct: in Feb 2010 there were 5 bidders left, all private sector:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/feb/19/hinchingbrooke-huntington-hospital-nhs-private

Circle had previous NHS contracts running Burton and Nottingham ISTCs. They are an interesting organisation. I went to a start up meeting when they were being set up, but did not buy in.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited December 2014

isam said:

isam said:

I should've gone for it in SB&ET

The constituency literally starts at the end of my road. But it is one of the biggest around I think... covers places in Essex I have never heard of

EDIT: My road is actually in the constituency! v long road

Didn't you tip UKIP for that at 12/1 some time ago?

Aiiii!

Hamilton is a political joke, they might as well select Jeffrey Archer for a seat.
    Well it doesn't seem like they check the educational background too closely, so Jeffrey should be ok on that one.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,159

GeoffM said:

I wondered when someone would deploy this bombshell against Labour's Burnham. Clegg won this one. It should be used everytime Labour whinge about privatising the NHS.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/45865/burnham_hits_out_at_clegg_over_nhs_privatisation_claim.html
    "The NAO report of the bidding process published on 8 November 2012 clearly states that in December 2009 there were only 3 bidders left in the process - Circle Health, Ramsay Health Care UK and Serco Health.
    "It says on page 20 that 'the two NHS trusts involved both withdrew at early stages of the process.'"

He won't care as long as taxpayers money carries on lining his golden pension pot.
    There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is the Tories privatising the NHS - BJO
    He didnt.

Think you had better keep up with what has happened today before you look even more stupid.

When Burnham left office an NHS hospital was still involved in the bidding process, Peterboro and Stamford.

That's not how I understand it. What's your source - it's probably wrong, as Circle were announced the winner in late 2010, and started running the hospital in early 2012.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11838687

And you may want to read the following:

"In February (2010), it was announced that the only NHS bidder to run Hinchingbrooke had withdrawn leaving private firms in the race."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/8549149.stm

So it looks as though you were wrong - Burnham had several months to cancel the bidding if he wanted it to go to an NHS bidder.

And BTW, Hinchinbrooke's done us very well this year, thank you very much. :-)
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

Not so according to official report. They left the process at an early stage and while Burnham was still the minister.
    I realise this does not fit in with your version of events. Either way it could have been worse it could have turned out like Stafford.

http://www.nao.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/1213628.pdf
  • Options
    UKIP's Neil Hamilton withdraws from Basildon selection process
  • Options

Thank heaven for that.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

I don't think that correct: in Feb 2010 there were 5 bidders left, all private sector:

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2010/feb/19/hinchingbrooke-huntington-hospital-nhs-private

Circle had previous NHS contracts running Burton and Nottingham ISTCs. They are an interesting organisation. I went to a start up meeting when they were being set up, but did not buy in.
    ,Well in May 2010 the Serco bid which included Peterborough and Stamford NHS foundation trust as a partner was effectively Pet. and Stamf. running the services Serco providing the support serv and some required Capital funds as far as I understand.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    Carswell must be very disappointed to see a former Conservative MP failing to get the nomination for an Essex seat.

Not.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

Not so according to official report. They left the process at an early stage and while Burnham was still the minister.
    I realise this does not fit in with your version of events. Either way it could have been worse it could have turned out like Stafford.

Burnham is in the clear over Stafford, he set up the first enquiry within weeks of taking over at health. The privatisation fiasco is a fair cop, but this was Milburns agenda then carried on by the rest of New Labour.

To be fair, I do think that Burnham has genuinely changed his mind and thinks privatisation has gone too far.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

,Well in May 2010 the Serco bid which included Peterborough and Stamford NHS foundation trust as a partner was effectively Pet. and Stamf. running the services Serco providing the support serv and some required Capital funds as far as I understand.
    Sounds like privatisation to me!

• Options

Thank heaven for that.
    The time to rejoice will be when Hamilton accepts his political career is dead.

How can he have such lack of self-awareness as to think he still has anything worthwhile to contribute to public life?

Who wants yesterday's men shaping tomorrow?
  • Options

Funny how I can't recall seeing any cartoon threads on this site involving or alluding to people like Thorpe, Smith, Rennard, Oaten and Huhne when they were in the news.

I thought this site was supposed to be neutral?

Mike gives me complete editorial freedom, which is another way of saying the cartoons are my sole responsibility and do not represent the views of the site.

The truth is, any comedian will tell you that some words are funny, others are not - some stories are funny, some are not.

I don't touch sex abuse, or torture. Though I did write a graphic novel about sex abuse, called 'Runaway' (and I haven't found a publisher who hasn't found it too 'dark').

Not funny - Sir Cyril Smith, Jeremy Thorpe, Mark Oaten.

As for Lord Rennard, well, he IS a cartoon.

Huhne - you're wrong, I did do cartoons about Huhne at the time.

Anyway, you get the idea. It's not that cartoons on this site are passing over certain figures because Mike and I have colluded, and wish to be polite about one and rude about another, according to some party lines.

I didn't mean to give you a quick tutorial on cartooning. But you must watch 'Punchlines' with Tom Hanks and Sally Fields. I didn't appreciate them as actors until I saw this movie. It's a good script and it even features some grand old comedians. It really is a good film about writing, and about comedy. 'Funny/not funny' is all you need to know. Sounds simple, but comedians I love, like Woody Allen, work at it every day.

Surely Mark Oaten was funny!

(Though probably NSFW!)

Funny indeed but unpublishable, anyone doing so would end up in th.......

Marf, thanks for the response, to be honest I felt a little sorry for Hamilton, others seem to have done far worse and fared far better. In view of Mr Cricks efforts tonight that sympathy might be misplaced.

Politics is politics but its the attitude of some posters that ukip are upstarts who need to be put in their place that gets me. Most of it comes from tory supporters. Libdems are much cleverer and better at having a dig in a subtle almost unnoticed way while sounding very reasonable, which does induce me to put the boot in and try and goad them into a more direct statement sometimes.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Thank heaven for that.

How can he have such lack of self-awareness as to think he still has anything worthwhile to contribute to public life?

Kippers are yearning for yesterday.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

Thank heaven for that.

I don't think UKIP have a candidate in Basildon & Billericay yet...
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

The report does not say what you say though does it.

The Serco Peterborough and Stamford bid was still in the running at GE2010.

Where does it say otherwise?

Burnham would not have appointed Circle in 2011 if he had been SOS IMO (and his!!!)
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Thank heaven for that.

When the roads were empty, and one could drive a Morris Traveller on the Queens Highway without meeting an upstart immigrant in a foreign car.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @bigjohnowls

When your in a hole stop digging.

'In a letter published this evening, the Deputy Prime Minister stood by his PMQs attack, branding Mr Burnham's claim on the bidding process "simply not true".

He wrote: "On 26 March 2010, that is before the General Election and while you were still Health Secretary, the three organisations shortlisted for the contract to run Hinchingbrooke Hospital were Circle Health, Ramsay Health Care UK and Serco Health - all of which are non-NHS organisations.
  • Options

Thank heaven for that.

What I can't understand is why they are accepting toxic rejects and all their baggage from other parties as candidates.
    Christine would have been fine as a candidate. Neil described himself as a political joke when they appeared on HIGNFY iirc.
    It's a comic lack of self awareness.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Thank heaven for that.

I remember the Spitting Image sketch where the shades of the Hitler Youth were tied to the Tories with the song "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" in the eighties. And one of those same lampooned characters is now still trying to sing the same song....nearly thirty years later.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

Sounds like privatisation to me!

Maybe an inevitable consequence of the Milburn reforms that Dobson and Burnham had watered down with NHS preferred provider rules.

Lansley clearly ran in a different direction entirely
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Old white men...

Michael Heaver ‏@Michael_Heaver · 48s48 seconds ago
    UKIP's Luton South candidate Dr. Yasin Rehman with UKIP's Luton Council candidates pic.twitter.com/JJFcM3X2eQ
  • Options

The report does not say what you say though does it.

The Serco Peterborough and Stamford bid was still in the running at GE2010.

Where does it say otherwise?

Burnham would not have appointed Circle in 2011 if he had been SOS IMO (and his!!!)

Why would he not have appointed Circle?

Coffeehouse has some more info on this:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/12/who-privatised-hinchingbrooke-hospital-and-does-it-matter/

As I've said passim, I've used both Hinchinbrooke and Addenbrookes recently. We could have picked either to have our son at, and we chose Hinchinbrooke because it appeared better for our needs. Surely at the end of the day that is all that matters?

Like too many on the left, you care more about who owns something that what works.
  • Options
    Come to this ding dong about Hinchingbrooke Hospital rather late.

I was under the impression the reason it was out to tender was it was a total disaster and unable to continue as it was, and that since Circle has taken over it has actually been quite a good success story.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Old white men

"UKIP and Labour parliamentary candidates Tim Aker and Polly Billington came to blows at South Essex College, Grays, today as they were grilled by young people at a student ‘Question Time’.

Conservative MP Jackie Doyle-Price was criticised by the college youngsters for not attending, although Lib-Dem MP Geoff was on hand to represent the Lib-Dems

Student support for UKIP and Mr Aker at the event appeared strong – although many students, when pressed – were unable to clarify their views.

Saulge Hubert, 18, of The Limes, Brentwood and Connor Wright, 18, of Tinklerside, Basildon spoke of their support for candidates, and Laura Kelly, 19, Chalk End, Pitsea, talked about why she supports UKIP"

http://m.thurrockgazette.co.uk/news/11657942.VIDEOS__UKIP_and_Labour_exchange_verbal_blows_at_student__Question_Time_/

• Options
    SCOTTISH NATIONAL: Police probe role of Scottish airports in CIA torture flights

I sure David Miliband knows nothing about these.
  • Options

Thank heaven for that.

What I can't understand is why they are accepting toxic rejects and all their baggage from other parties as candidates.
    Christine would have been fine as a candidate. Neil described himself as a political joke when they appeared on HIGNFY iirc.

Hamilton came top in the UKIP NEC elections, well clear of the next. He clearly has a lot of support in the party. I cannot explain why!

http://www.ukip.org/2014_nec_election_results

half the UKIP membership voted for him. Can anyone explain why?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

When your in a hole stop digging.

'In a letter published this evening, the Deputy Prime Minister stood by his PMQs attack, branding Mr Burnham's claim on the bidding process "simply not true".

He wrote: "On 26 March 2010, that is before the General Election and while you were still Health Secretary, the three organisations shortlisted for the contract to run Hinchingbrooke Hospital were Circle Health, Ramsay Health Care UK and Serco Health - all of which are non-NHS organisations.

Stop digging yourself

The Serco bid was a joint one with P&SNHSFT.

Since when have you took the word of the DPM?

How can a contract not let till Nov 2011 be Labours??
  • Options
    "UKIP's Neil Hamilton withdraws from Basildon selection process."

Wow - that's the first time I ever got somebody deselected!

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    So, we have Labour's privatisation of the NHS under Burnham followed by Mary Creagh's acknowledgement that Labour are "absolutely" committed to contracting out NHS services.

Ed picked a bad day to have a day off.
  • Options

I was under the impression the reason it was out to tender was it was a total disaster and unable to continue as it was, and that since Circle has taken over it has actually been quite a good success story.

Hinchingbrooke was a financial rather than clinical basket case.

It still has major financial issues.

http://www.huntspost.co.uk/news/uncertainty_over_finances_at_hinchingbrooke_hospital_in_huntingdon_1_3760966
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Thank heaven for that.

My guess would be that before UKIP's membership took off, they thought beggars can't be choosers. My big worry is that someone will let Brian Coleman into the party.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited December 2014
    @bigjohnowls

Labour were the first to privatize an NHS hospital,get over it.

Any nonsense now about the Coalition privatizing the NHS is laughable.
  • Options

Thank heaven for that.

Hamilton came top in the UKIP NEC elections, well clear of the next. He clearly has a lot of support in the party. I cannot explain why!

Possibly name recognition.
    Whatever way, it is sheer madness. By all means make Hamilton a party grandee or whatever. But keep him and his ilk away from the public.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Thank heaven for that.

My guess would be that before UKIP's membership took off, they thought beggars can't be choosers. My big worry is that someone will let Brian Coleman into the party.
    The UKIP NEC elections this autumn had half the eligible members voting for Hamilton. One can only conclude they like what they see.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited December 2014
    Matthew d'Ancona in the Standard today reminded me of everything I detest about the Tories. Even though he wrote it after it was already emerging Bird was in a consensual relationship with this woman, he claimed it made UKIP look like the sleazy 1990s Tories, who actually committed adultery. He did the usual lie that UKIP didn't want mothers breastfeeding in public, even though Farage said the direct opposite. And he claimed UKIP voters were just angry at the world rather than actually supporting their policies. If it was just a random journalist it would be one thing. But I know it's the sort of smug and patronising attitude that exists throughout the Cameroons.
  • Options
    isam said:

Thank heaven for that.

Unless it's John Baron.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Well UKIP have now dealt with both an alleged sex scandal and Neil Hamilton's selection efforts successfully and by the book, and it was just a year ago when they couldn't handle comments from Godfrey Bloom wrecking their conference.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,203
    The UK will have a population of 80 million by 2050 overtaking France with 76 million and Germany with 71 million to be the largest population and economy in Europe
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/comment/jeremy-warner/11283803/UK-population-boom-could-make-it-EUs-top-economy.html
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Matthew d'Ancona in the Standard today reminded me of everything I detest about the Tories. Even though he wrote it after it was already emerging Bird was in a consensual relationship with this woman, he claimed it made UKIP look like the sleazy 1990s stories. He did the usual lie that UKIP didn't want mothers breastfeeding in public, even though Farage said the direct opposite. And he claimed UKIP voters were just angry at the world rather than actually supporting their policies. If it was just a random journalist it would be one thing. But I know it's the sort of smug and patronising attitude that exists throughout the Cameroons.

Why do you think UKIP were so keen to place Bolter in a winnable seat?

• Options
    Right back to where we started...

A good, honest local boy!

Gawain Towler ‏@GawainTowler · 26m26 minutes ago
    Cllr Kerry Smith selected for Thurrock and South Basildon @ukip

• Options

"UKIP's Neil Hamilton withdraws from Basildon selection process."

Wow - that's the first time I ever got somebody deselected!

Good for you Marf!
    More power to your drawing hand.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Speedy said:

Well UKIP have now dealt with both an alleged sex scandal and Neil Hamilton's selection efforts successfully and by the book, and it was just a year ago when they couldn't handle comments from Godfrey Bloom wrecking their conference.

When did they resolve the problem with Bird? It's still ongoing.

And now the Deputy Chairman's expenses claims are under investigation.
  • Options
    Would be quite a coup for Neil Hamilton if he returned to the Commons 18 years after his humiliating defeat by Martin Bell with a victory over both his former party and Labour
  • Options

Thank heaven for that.

Getting one over on the Cons blinds them to rational thought, See blocking a referendum by letting Ed in.
  • Options

Depends how you judge success

Still in deficit, got half the cash it had a year ago but at least 1 person doing rather well.

The salary of the most-highly paid employee at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust in the
    financial year 2013/14, the Chief Executive Officer, was in the range of £235,000–£240,000.
    This was 9.2 times the median salary of the workforce, which was £25,783.
    The salary of the most-highly paid employee at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust
    in the financial year 2012/13, the Medical Director, was in the range of £155,000–£160,000
    financial year end. This was 6.3 times the median salary of the workforce, which was £25,291.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Thank heaven for that.

Unless it's John Baron.
    Yeah!

The hustings (or l'hustings as I now prefer to call them) were meant to take place yesterday I think.

No mumble though...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Thank heaven for that.

The UKIP NEC elections this autumn had half the eligible members voting for Hamilton. One can only conclude they like what they see.

I imagine they feel he's worked hard for the party for years, and deserves recognition. I agree with others here that he comes with too much baggage to be a Parliamentary candidate.

• Options
    john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

First in November 2011.

Laughable
  • Options

Still in deficit, got half the cash it had a year ago but at least 1 person doing rather well.

The salary of the most-highly paid employee at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust in the
    financial year 2013/14, the Chief Executive Officer, was in the range of £235,000–£240,000.
    The salary of the most-highly paid employee at Hinchingbrooke Health Care NHS Trust
    in the financial year 2012/13, the Medical Director, was in the range of £155,000–£160,000
    financial year end. This was 6.3 times the median salary of the workforce, which was £25,291.
    So much better then but you want social justice in the board room. What is the current total wage bill and whAt about patient outcomes ?
  • Options
    Survation poll on the EU has 'out' leading by 46% to 34%, although admittedly commissioned by the Freedom Association and published in the Express
    http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/545654/Britain-Referendum-Vote-In-Out-Vote-Europe-EU-Survey
  • Options

Funny how I can't recall seeing any cartoon threads on this site involving or alluding to people like Thorpe, Smith, Rennard, Oaten and Huhne when they were in the news.

I thought this site was supposed to be neutral?

Mike gives me complete editorial freedom, which is another way of saying the cartoons are my sole responsibility and do not represent the views of the site.

The truth is, any comedian will tell you that some words are funny, others are not - some stories are funny, some are not.

I don't touch sex abuse, or torture. Though I did write a graphic novel about sex abuse, called 'Runaway' (and I haven't found a publisher who hasn't found it too 'dark').

Not funny - Sir Cyril Smith, Jeremy Thorpe, Mark Oaten.

As for Lord Rennard, well, he IS a cartoon.

Huhne - you're wrong, I did do cartoons about Huhne at the time.

Anyway, you get the idea. It's not that cartoons on this site are passing over certain figures because Mike and I have colluded, and wish to be polite about one and rude about another, according to some party lines.

I didn't mean to give you a quick tutorial on cartooning. But you must watch 'Punchlines' with Tom Hanks and Sally Fields. I didn't appreciate them as actors until I saw this movie. It's a good script and it even features some grand old comedians. It really is a good film about writing, and about comedy. 'Funny/not funny' is all you need to know. Sounds simple, but comedians I love, like Woody Allen, work at it every day.

Surely Mark Oaten was funny!

(Though probably NSFW!)

Funny indeed but unpublishable, anyone doing so would end up in th.......

Marf, thanks for the response, to be honest I felt a little sorry for Hamilton, others seem to have done far worse and fared far better. In view of Mr Cricks efforts tonight that sympathy might be misplaced.

Politics is politics but its the attitude of some posters that ukip are upstarts who need to be put in their place that gets me. Most of it comes from tory supporters. Libdems are much cleverer and better at having a dig in a subtle almost unnoticed way while sounding very reasonable, which does induce me to put the boot in and try and goad them into a more direct statement sometimes.

Thanks Paul.

Totally understand what you are saying.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Matthew d'Ancona in the Standard today reminded me of everything I detest about the Tories. Even though he wrote it after it was already emerging Bird was in a consensual relationship with this woman, he claimed it made UKIP look like the sleazy 1990s stories. He did the usual lie that UKIP didn't want mothers breastfeeding in public, even though Farage said the direct opposite. And he claimed UKIP voters were just angry at the world rather than actually supporting their policies. If it was just a random journalist it would be one thing. But I know it's the sort of smug and patronising attitude that exists throughout the Cameroons.

They thought they'd recruited a high-flyer (wrongly, as it turned out).
  • Options

Speedy said:

Peak Kipper XVIII?
  • Options

Thank heaven for that.

The Internet.
    With that people don't forget as easy, look at what happened in these past 2 days, they even uncovered some old guardian articles from the 90's describing him as (expletives deleted).

Of course if Hamilton actually stood as a candidate but somewhere UKIP doesn't have a chance anyway, that would remove the stigma without any negatives for UKIP and Hamilton could run for a more winnable seat next time in 2020, as the press would have already thrown the bucket on him in 2015.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

First in November 2011.

Laughable
    At least you're getting your dates right now!

Your contention that the Cerco bid was still an NHS bid is interesting. Do you have any evidence to back that up? At what point does something become a private bid?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Matthew d'Ancona in the Standard today reminded me of everything I detest about the Tories. Even though he wrote it after it was already emerging Bird was in a consensual relationship with this woman, he claimed it made UKIP look like the sleazy 1990s Tories, who actually committed adultery. He did the usual lie that UKIP didn't want mothers breastfeeding in public, even though Farage said the direct opposite. And he claimed UKIP voters were just angry at the world rather than actually supporting their policies. If it was just a random journalist it would be one thing. But I know it's the sort of smug and patronising attitude that exists throughout the Cameroons.

D'Ancona really is the epitome of Harry Enfield's Tory Boy.
  • Options
    OK, too cloudy for aurora tonight, so I will love and leave.

And no, I am not sneaking off to the Penis Museum....
  • Options

john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

First in November 2011.

Laughable
    There were no NHS bidders left by May 2010, sorry to break it to you but Burnham was the first person to privatize a hospital.

Someone up thread said who cares who runs it if it working OK, which it seems to be.

The cynical among us may think you are more concerned with your golden pension that if a hospital runs more efficiently.
  • Options
    isam said:

Speedy said:

Peak Kipper XVIII?
    Same creatures wearing different coloured badges. Kippers are no different to the other parties.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    isam said:

Right back to where we started...

A good, honest local boy!

Gawain Towler ‏@GawainTowler · 26m26 minutes ago
    Cllr Kerry Smith selected for Thurrock and South Basildon @ukip

A local councillor with 10 years of experience in Basildon politics:
    http://www.yourthurrock.com/Kerry-Smith-selected-UKIP-candidate-South/story-25553877-detail/story.html

UKIP's chances have received a bounce in S. Basildon.
  • Options

isam said:

Speedy said:

Peak Kipper XVIII?
    Same creatures wearing different coloured badges. Kippers are no different to the other parties.
    Aw shucks don't say that you'll shatter all my dreams
  • Options
    Miliband: Cutting deficit is 'part of Labour's mission'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30417955

Memory is coming back to him
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

So much better then but you want social justice in the board room. What is the current total wage bill and whAt about patient outcomes ?
    Cash is king and Hinchinbrookes ain't got any.

Clinical standards? You tell me. Their AR shows

Diagnostics – maximum six-week wait for access to diagnostic tests - missed target

Net promoter score (Friends and Family Test) target >80 actual 77.3

Pressure ulcers – grades two to four actual 79

Emergency MRSA screening compliance target 100% actual93.5%

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Kerry Smith was the original candidate in Basildon South.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Perhaps if Farage put down his pint and did a bit of research on these "high fliers" then the party would not be so embarrassed so often.

A lot of the high fliers that he recruits turn out to be turkeys...

UKIP remains a wolf in sheeps clothing, duping people with leftist policies so they can force through a right wing agenda which mostly benefits wealthy financiers like themselves.

I do not blame the conned, I blame the con artists.
  • Options

Those would be the 'good' cuts, not the nasty ones that everyone else would make.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

First in November 2011.

Laughable
    There were no NHS bidders left by May 2010, sorry to break it to you but Burnham was the first person to privatize a hospital.

Someone up thread said who cares who runs it if it working OK, which it seems to be.

The cynical among us may think you are more concerned with your golden pension that if a hospital runs more efficiently.
    Why? That is a despicable comment.

Why are you obsessed with my retirement is it because you didnt you have the foresight to organise your retirement arrangements properly
  • Options

OK, too cloudy for aurora tonight, so I will love and leave.

And no, I am not sneaking off to the Penis Museum....

Best place for beer is Microbar, on Austurstræti. Best restaurant IMO is Thrir Frakkar, if you want to eat whale, guillemot, horse etc.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited December 2014

UKIP remains a wolf in sheeps clothing, duping people with leftist policies so they can force through a right wing agenda which mostly benefits wealthy financiers like themselves.

Can you offer an example of those policies?

• Options
    Powerful drama on Chris Jefferies on ITV tonight, shows what a dreadful witchhunt by much of the media the whole affair was
  • Options

john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

First in November 2011.

Laughable

Why? That is a despicable comment.

Why are you obsessed with my retirement is it because you didnt you have the foresight to organise your retirement arrangements properly
    maybe as a tax payer he chokes on funding your early retirement?
  • Options

Those would be the 'good' cuts, not the nasty ones that everyone else would make.
    Miliband is going to save us. Him and his gang have signed EDM 454. Surely he'd never go back on a pledge? Politicians never break their pledges.

• Options
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories still tied, Lib Dems drop back to fifth: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

Perhaps if Farage put down his pint and did a bit of research on these "high fliers" then the party would not be so embarrassed so often.

A lot of the high fliers that he recruits turn out to be turkeys...

I do not blame the conned, I blame the con artists.
    Personally, I'm quite content with a right-wing agenda.
  • Options

The 2010 manifesto advocated flat taxes.

Paul Nuttall advocated getting rid of the NHS:

http://onlinefocus.org/?p=14939

Douglas Carswell ditto:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Plan-Twelve-months-Britain/dp/0955979900

Now we have not seen the 2015 manifesto and perhaps Nigel may actually read it this time, but can we trust any party that has changed its mind so completely in such a short period of time?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    HYUFD said:

Powerful drama on Chris Jefferies on ITV tonight, shows what a dreadful witchhunt by much of the media the whole affair was

There were several posters on here at the time who indulged in a witch hunt of their own .
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

The strategy of alienating anyone who's inclined to vote Labour, while not gaining any of the people who he's pandering to, continues apace then.
  • Options

One does wonder about Miliband's sense of priorities. Must struggle with daily chores often.
  • Options

YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour and Tories still tied, Lib Dems drop back to fifth: CON 33%, LAB 33%, LD 6%, UKIP 15%, GRN 7%

The Greens seem to be having a good run in their LD/Green fight since December started.
  • Options
    edited December 2014

Miliband is going to save us. Him and his gang have signed EDM 454. Surely he'd never go back on a pledge? Politicians never break their pledges.

If Labour can privatise hospitals, they're more than capable of selling Fire Stations to the highest bidder.

You could be working for 'Circle Fire' this time, next year.
  • Options

Douglas Carswell ditto:

Now we have not seen the 2015 manifesto and perhaps Nigel may actually read it this time, but can we trust any party that has changed its mind so completely in such a short period of time?
    You mean like the other parties?
  • Options
    Tonights YG LAB 322 CON 284 LD 16

EICIPM
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

Last 11

5 ties, 3 Lab Leads, 3 Tory Leads
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,238
    O/T but what is this weatherbomb nonsense that these BBC/Metoffice idiots keep jibbering about. It's an atlantic depression, a not wholly unusual event.

Does everything have to be repackaged?
  • Options

Douglas Carswell ditto:

Nothing about a flat tax on their website:

"Repairing the UK Economy

– UKIP will increase personal allowance to the level of full-time minimum wage earnings (approx £13,500 by next election).

– Inheritance tax will be abolished.

– We will introduce a 35p income tax rate between £42,285 and £55,000, whereupon the 40p rate becomes payable.

– UKIP will set up a Treasury Commission to design a turnover tax to ensure big businesses pay a minimum floor rate of tax as a proportion of their UK turnover."

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people

http://www.ukip.org/speeches_from_annual_conference

• Options

john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

First in November 2011.
    Laughable
    Your contention that the Cerco bid was still an NHS bid is interesting. Do you have any evidence to back that up? At what point does something become a private bid?
    Maybe they had a token NHS person included to make the tea once a week?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Socrates said:

D'Ancona really is the epitome of Harry Enfield's Tory Boy.
    No. D'Ancona is just a younger version of that wet Parris. Drip, drip, dripping over the desk.
  • Options

O/T but what is this weatherbomb nonsense that these BBC/Metoffice idiots keep jibbering about. It's an atlantic depression, a not wholly unusual event.

Does everything have to be repackaged?

We discussed it on the morning thread.

OblitusSumMe gave it its proper name, Explosive cyclogenesis.

Apparently it's a common thing, the PB consensus it is a ridiculous name, and Robert has issued a warning, anyone using weatherbomb in a non-ironic way, will be banned.
  • Options
    I'm shocked

Behind the bluster, the Tories and the Lib Dems are preparing for another coalition

Clegg and others would rather continue to do business with the Tories than with a Labour Party regarded as irredeemably tribal.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2014/12/behind-bluster-tories-and-lib-dems-are-preparing-another-coalition
  • Options

@ShippersUnbound Ukip really has come of age this week as a mainstream political party. Sex scandal. Check. Briefing against difficult candidates. Check.

Dealing with difficulties far quicker than the other parties. Check.
    Re-cycling disgraced politicians and failing to run CV checks. Check.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

D'Ancona is a prize prat. Almost every article he writes infuriates me and reeks of pomposity and hypocrisy.

It was him that actually convinced me to vote UKIP in the May 2014 Euros. Well done Matthew.
  • Options
    MS Indeed, many of us were too quick to judge, and certainly the media and police do not come out of it with much credit either, at least it gives the chance to show his side of the story as an innocent man wrongly accused with very little evidence against him
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Hamilton would make a good MEP

@TelegraphNews: Neil Hamilton is being questioned by Ukip over expenses he allegedly claimed for staying in his wife's flat http://t.co/6U8fmhZEoG

Well unlike one character at UKIP at least he was not staying at his mistresses flat.
  • Options

Douglas Carswell ditto:

Nothing about a flat tax on their website:

"Repairing the UK Economy

– UKIP will increase personal allowance to the level of full-time minimum wage earnings (approx £13,500 by next election).

– Inheritance tax will be abolished.

– We will introduce a 35p income tax rate between £42,285 and £55,000, whereupon the 40p rate becomes payable.

– UKIP will set up a Treasury Commission to design a turnover tax to ensure big businesses pay a minimum floor rate of tax as a proportion of their UK turnover."

http://www.ukip.org/policies_for_people

http://www.ukip.org/speeches_from_annual_conference

The flat tax was in the 2010 manifesto: the one that Farage famously insulted.

Low taxes and increased spending: the magic money tree has very purple foliage!

Despite the obnoxious Russell Brand QT may be worth watching tomorrow to see Farage bluster.
  • Options
    Off the back of this thread, I just checked UKIP's website. In terms of the words, on what it says it stands for, it seems the closest match to my own beliefs of any of the main parties:

"UKIP is a patriotic party that promotes independence: from the EU, and from government interference. We believe in free trade, lower taxes, personal freedom and responsibility.

UKIP believes in Britain becoming a democratic, self-governing country once again. This can only be achieved by getting our nation out of the European Union and reasserting the sovereignty of Parliament.

As a party we are unashamedly patriotic: we believe there is so much to be proud about Britain and the contribution it has made to the world. We believe that Britain is good enough to be an independent nation, trading and building harmonious relations with the rest of the world.

We believe Britain must get back control over its borders, so that it can welcome people with a positive contribution to make while limiting the overall numbers of migrants and keeping out those without the skills or aptitudes to be of benefit to the nation.

UKIP believes in promoting self-reliance and personal freedom from state interference. We believe the state in Britain has become too large, too expensive and too dominant over civil society."

Wow. It's very hard to disagree with that. Yes please.
  • Options

john_zims said:

@bigjohnowls

First in November 2011.
    Laughable
    Maybe they had a token NHS person included to make the tea once a week?
    A Pilgrim forced onto the payroll.
  • Options

Douglas Carswell ditto:

Fox, have you seen the headline story on the Mercury website? Really poor for us.
  • Options

Just seen the UKIP expenses letter on Ch4 blog. Methinks if the big three parties had been as rigourous in making enquiries before paying they wouldnt be in the pickle they are now.

Ever heard of UKIP MEP Tom Wise? He is thought to be the first MEP jailed for EC expenses fraud.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Wise

UKIP are er... different?

UKIP have the highest ratio amongst UK parties for having elected MEPs subsequently jailed.
  • Options
    Raise tax-free threshold on income to £11,500, followed by a flat rate of 31% to replace current income tax and employees' National Insurance (NI) - UKIP manifesto 2010
This discussion has been closed.