Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the UKIP Basildon selection

SystemSystem Posts: 11,730
edited December 2014 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the UKIP Basildon selection

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    first.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    Good cartoon.
  • Options
    Brilliant cartoon, Marf - but naughty!
  • Options
    Just been alerted to an investigation by the LA Times on how the US gets it's vegies from Mexico. Is this why Tesco couldn't compete, or want to?

http://goo.gl/EMMIIL
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Great stuff Marf.
  • Options
    How can a 1 point Labour lead be turned into a tie as happened with YOU GOV last night.To be trusted a poll must be statistically accurate.

• Options

How can a 1 point Labour lead be turned into a tie as happened with YOU GOV last night.To be trusted a poll must be statistically accurate.

Actually Monday's poll was a 1 point TORY lead!
  • Options
    UKIP would have to be out of their minds to select Neil Hamilton. Maybe they are.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited December 2014
    Good cartoon Marf.

Whatever one's political affiliations I hope we can agree that there are certain figures so odious or toxic or, indeed, criminal that they should have no place in any party. Neil Hamilton ticks all three of those boxes and I wouldn't want him standing for the Conservatives.

The Machiavellian in me hopes UKIP select him. The moral in me says they should give him the boot.

Looks as if they're not happy chappies and chappesses in Basildon UKIP: http://order-order.com/2014/12/10/ukip-in-uproar-over-neil-hamilton-selection-stitch-up/
  • Options
    p.s. one of my abiding memories of 1997 was the 'Putting the Tat back in Tatton.' Anyone else remember that? British General Elections at their very, very, best :)
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Hamilton was the epitomy of sleaze during the Major years.

UKIP have lost the plot.
  • Options
    Good likeness of Hamilton Marf, I hope the kippers on here are reasonable in their comments.

Whilst I hold to the view that UKIP handled the Bird suspension as well as anyone can do, there are a number of issues that arise from the underlying causes of the whole debacle.

First, UKIP clearly have not improved their vetting processes, when a fake degree can creep through. No lessons learned from the Ashley Mote benefits fraud etc.

We have here the Central Leadership of a party deciding to impose from their shortlist a PPC onto a local association. Something that other parties have done but UKIP said it was different...

The Central Leadership also bowed down to pressure from the PC brigade for a candidate that ticked other boxes. Female and Ethnic. Something that Lab and Cons (not LDs) have done but UKIP said it was different...

The real surprise is how quickly UKIP joined in with the rest. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
  • Options

Good cartoon Marf.

Whatever one's political affiliations I hope we can agree that there are certain figures so odious or toxic or, indeed, criminal that they should have no place in any party. Neil Hamilton ticks all three of those boxes and I wouldn't want him standing for the Conservatives.

The Machiavellian in me hopes UKIP select him. The moral in me says they should give him the boot.

Looks as if they're not happy chappies and chappesses in Basildon UKIP: http://order-order.com/2014/12/10/ukip-in-uproar-over-neil-hamilton-selection-stitch-up/

He shouldn't even be allowed to stand. Personally I think anyone found guilty of malfeasance in public office should be barred for life from standing again.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited December 2014
    I should've gone for it in SB&ET

The constituency literally starts at the end of my road. But it is one of the biggest around I think... covers places in Essex I have never heard of

EDIT: My road is actually in the constituency! v long road
  • Options

Good cartoon Marf.

He shouldn't even be allowed to stand. Personally I think anyone found guilty of malfeasance in public office should be barred for life from standing again.
    Agreed Richard
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    Have they selected him?

Is this their brave new politics? Neil Hamilton? Is this a joke?

God give me strength (= outrage on behalf of Kippers everywhere). Is this how you see the future of your party?

oh yes and...hahahahahaha
  • Options
    If UKIP really did want to appear as a clean break from the current major parties, why on earth would they attach themselves to Neil Hamilton? UKIP said it was different...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    isam said:

Are you still on course for Islington South & Finsbury?
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    AndyJS said:

isam said:

8th Jan is l'hustings
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,843
    I don't think UKIP have such a person, but the role of a UKIP election strategist could be very interesting now. The top of the range is perhaps 22% (just making these number up). The strategist has to hate that in parts - all those nutters he hasn't vetted. If they get near that sort of thing its clearly in bed with the Tories, and a referendum is certain. (I think it's impossible for UKIP to do better than this sort of level in 2015)

What though at lower shares? I think at 10% or above they really have to focus on banging the drum for their referendum. They are likely to get it eventually.

UKIP sub 10%? Unless the LDs poll worse and get more seats (a distinct possibility) then that's that for UKIP.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,590
    isam said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:

8th Jan is l'hustings
    "l'hustings"?

None of that foreign muck on the night pls Sam.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

Good cartoon Marf.

I'm with you on this. Terrible choice if UKIP make it.
  • Options
    We have more than enough failed politicians as it is. I'm half of the mind that once you've been booted out as an MP, you shouldn't be allowed to stand for election again. You've had your shot, let someone else have a pop. Otherwise, it's just a merry go round of the same old faces chasing a slot on the gravy train.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    edited December 2014

What do you mean by "turned into"?

I doubt anyone reading this knows what you are talking about. Why not provide some more information and preferably a link in order to fill us in.

Are you suggesting the poll isn't statistically accurate? On what basis? YouGov has an extremely high reputation - it seems unlikely to me that they would have made an elementary mistake.
  • Options

We have more than enough failed politicians as it is. I'm half of the mind that once you've been booted out as an MP, you shouldn't be allowed to stand for election again. You've had your shot, let someone else have a pop. Otherwise, it's just a merry go round of the same old faces chasing a slot on the gravy train.

I hope Nick Palmer reads this.
  • Options
    Re Ladbroke specials on Question Time tomorrow I'd have thought 'breastfeeding' should be 1/20 not 1/4 and 'traffic' looks a good bet too at 7/4.

It's in Canterbury and the panellists are Penny Mordaunt, Mary Creagh, Nigel Farage, Russell Brand and Camilla Cavendish.
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

Re Ladbroke specials on Question Time tomorrow I'd have thought 'breastfeeding' should be 1/20 not 1/4 and 'traffic' looks a good bet too at 7/4.

It's in Canterbury and the panellists are Penny Mordaunt, Mary Creagh, Nigel Farage, Russell Brand and Camilla Cavendish.

Here's a link; http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/Question-Time-Specials/Politics-N-1z0xtp9Z1z141ng/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sports&utm_campaign=politics_c329&hootPostID=0b2722f5a21de6338a380ab078e07ef4
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293
    Re Neil Hamilton

He should obviously be allowed to stand. However, I very much doubt his presence on the ballot will do UKIP any good. (In fact, I'd go further and say that he damages the whole "UKIP is different" brand.)

The voters will get their say. If they prefer to be represented by someone with Neil Hamilton's reputation, that is their concern. (For that reason, I have no issue with prisoners choosing to stand - they just shouldn't be allowed to vote.)

The state cannot be involved in choosing who may or may not be an elected representative. That way leads - inevitably and inexorably, although hopefully only in the very long-term -to Iranian systems where every candidate is vetted for suitability.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    Socrates said:

I'm with you on this. Terrible choice if UKIP make it.

He's already Deputy Chairman, one of UKIP's eleven 'key people' (12 if you include Roger Bird, who was air-brushed out on Monday):

http://www.ukip.org/people_key
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    If Hamilton put the tat into Tatton, who knows what he do if he stood in Scunthorpe.
  • Options
    Did no one see this?

Michael Crick‏@MichaelLCrick·1 hr1 hour ago
    Ukip Finance Cttee tells Neil Hamilton to explain expense claims, ahead of Hamilton contesting Ukip selection for Basildon South tonight.
  • Options
    FPT
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

AndyJS said:
    So what enterprises will do well out of the low oil price ? Consumers will have extra disposable income to save, pay down debt or spend on VAT able activity.

Of more significance is that the fall in oil prices has the equivalent effect on the US economy of a $340bn tax cut or a $1000Tn stimulus.

As a result rapid interest rate rises may be needed soon to prevent the economy growing to fast and overheating.
    So a cheaper pound - better for our exporters.

Still not seeing a downside.

The downside is that the UK will also have to raise interest rates, both to stop domestic overheat due to the fall in oil prices (just as in USA) and because if the USA raise their interest rates significantly we will have to as well to prevent a flight of capital out of the UK chasing higher dollar interest rates and the pound plummeting, ie the return of inflation.
  • Options

UKIP would have to be out of their minds to select Neil Hamilton. Maybe they are.

I agree. I'd be gutted if Hamilton got selected for UKIP anywhere. Except maybe if he started again, stood as a local councillor and put a few years in building a new reputation. But I think he's missed that chance.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2014
    Blueberry said:

Blueberry said:

Here's a link; http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/Question-Time-Specials/Politics-N-1z0xtp9Z1z141ng/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=sports&utm_campaign=politics_c329&hootPostID=0b2722f5a21de6338a380ab078e07ef4
    Thanks for that. 'Racist' at 1/2 is a bet, surely?
  • Options
    I wonder if I can get good odds on Brand wearing an FBU t-shirt, seeing as Mordaunt is on?
    Mind you, I'd rather Brand kept his nose out.
  • Options
    Funny how I can't recall seeing any cartoon threads on this site involving or alluding to people like Thorpe, Smith, Rennard, Oaten and Huhne when they were in the news.

I thought this site was supposed to be neutral?
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

Good likeness of Hamilton Marf, I hope the kippers on here are reasonable in their comments.
    We have here the Central Leadership of a party deciding to impose from their shortlist a PPC onto a local association. Something that other parties have done but UKIP said it was different...
    The real surprise is how quickly UKIP joined in with the rest. "The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”

Yes it is a good likeness but just to be consistent I am not sure I go with the theme.

I have some sympathies with any party trying to impose a candidate in a by-election because these are different animals. General elections are a bit different, no matter how frustrating the 'central command' might feel. They create a main list after all and candidates surely need to show some resilience.
    If UKIP really are trying to impose Hamilton then they must be terribly short of candidates. They seem to have no shortage of parachutes though.

• Options

Hamilton was the epitomy of sleaze during the Major years.

UKIP have lost the plot.

Part of me agrees with you and part of me also thinks that if we as a society cannot accept that someone (not convicted of anything) cannot work and atone for past mistakes and rejoin public life we are not a nice society.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    dr_spyn said:

If Hamilton put the tat into Tatton, who knows what he do if he stood in Scunthorpe.

quite appropriately Elliott Morley was MP for the town
  • Options

Funny how I can't recall seeing any cartoon threads on this site involving or alluding to people like Thorpe, Smith, Rennard, Oaten and Huhne when they were in the news.

The people of North Devon saw fit to depose Jeremy Thorpe. It also feels inappropriate to speak ill of the dead.

I'm happy to make fun of Mark Oaten for hours at a time.

That being said: for a small political party, the LibDems seem to have their fair share of scandals.
  • Options

Good cartoon Marf.

It seems rather hard to arrive at an un-equivocal list though. I personally think that Gordon Brown is a criminal. I don't think this about Tony Blair.

It's the BBC that push Hamilton and his wife.

If the BBC encapsulated themselves into a voter with their distilled opinions then common humanity would require at least a token shoeing. Quite how their output is so distinct from the wisdom of their input escapes me. If your economic input is essentially everyone how the hell do you finish up with Robert Peston airing his views,
  • Options
    isam said:

The constituency literally starts at the end of my road. But it is one of the biggest around I think... covers places in Essex I have never heard of

Didn't you tip UKIP for that at 12/1 some time ago?

• Options
    Re the fall in oil prices:

Basically, it's good for consumers and for any businesses that use energy.

I've collated the benefit, in terms of the lower Saudi tax, for all the major economies in the world. Basically, it's negative for Canada, Russia, Saudi, etc., and good for the US and the UK (who are importers, but also have a significant amount of their production).

It's very good for major energy importers (i.e. those who have to import almost all their oil and gas), such as Spain, Italy, China and Japan.
  • Options

So you don't believe people should be allowed to vote for someone.

Wow. I really can't think of anything less democratic.

Imagine this:

MP warns that lead in paints in dangerous, and makes a big fuss.
    His opponent - backed by big paint makers - beats him.
    MP is vindicated. Lead in paints is dangerous.

Ban him from standing?

Absurd. Your suggestion is profoundly and dangerously anti-democratic.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,934

Neutral ? The site is whatever OGH wants it to be - it's his site, not yours.

As to the usual anti-LD baiting, perhaps Marf didn't draw any cartoons.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    rcs1000 said:

I've collated the benefit, in terms of the lower Saudi tax, for all the major economies in the world. Basically, it's negative for Canada, Russia, Saudi, etc., and good for the US and the UK (who are importers, but also have a significant amount of their production).

It's very good for major energy importers (i.e. those who have to import almost all their oil and gas), such as Spain, Italy, China and Japan.

It must be disastrous for Canada, oil sands have a very high break even price this must be killing pretty much all investment there.
  • Options
    what letter?

Michael Crick‏@MichaelLCrick·4 mins4 minutes ago
    Neil Hamilton tells c4 News Ukip letter "a dirty trick" to "disrupt hustings" in Basildon this evening
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Only fifteen months late Junior! Welcome aboard...!
  • Options
    stodge said:

Why mock the afflicted?
  • Options

I hope Nick Palmer reads this.
    Isn't that for the local party to decide?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

So you don't believe people should be allowed to vote for someone.

Wow. I really can't think of anything less democratic.

Imagine this:

MP warns that lead in paints in dangerous, and makes a big fuss.

Ban him from standing?

Wow, indeed.

• Options
    stodge said:

You're right that Mike can do as he pleases, but you make it sound like he is intervening. If you want to post a cartoon lampooning whoever then it seems likely that you can do so here. Is PB perfect - no, not at all. Dreadful awful nonsense is posted every day (sometimes even without me - and clearly 'cos I'm hardly a regular). I know this, as do you, and yet we'll continue to visit.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130

As I tend to repeat to what I am sure is an irritating degree, we get the politicians we deserve. If people are happy to elect someone who has been kicked out once, or twice, or however many times, that is their choice. If the public has a big enough problem with it, perhaps it can overcome out natural tribal instincts.

And that not even considering the other arguments raised, like someone losing but later being proved to have been morally in the right, or someone who has reformed and become a better prospective MP now than they once were.

I fear the gravy train seekers will never be got rid of, alas, but I guess we should keep looking for other potential ways to keep them to a minimum.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Neil Hamilton under investigation by Ukip for questions regarding his expenses.Good giggle from Marf which has now reached a full ho-ho-ho after Michael Crick revelations on Ch 4 news.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

...... Imagine this: MP warns that lead in paints in dangerous, and makes a big fuss.
    Ban him from standing?
    We did have one infamous Liberal MP "co-operating" with a poisonous substance. Cyril Smith.

"In 2008, there were calls for Smith to be stripped of his knighthood after it was revealed that he had asked the asbestos company Turner & Newall to prepare a speech for him in 1981, in which he declared: "The public at large are not at risk". It was later revealed that Smith owned 1,300 shares in the company. In 2008 he said that 4,000 asbestos-related deaths a year in the UK was "relatively low"." wikipedia
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    I'm of the opinion that everyone is allowed another chance but surely it would be a bad political move by Ukip. It doesn't say much for the rest of the applications if he gets it.

Still, celebrities often do well even if they're infamous rather than famous.

What next? Russell Brand to stand for Labour?
  • Options
    @DPJHodges 5h ago

"ComRes ITN poll that will terrify Labour. 33% support cutting spending to 1930's levels, 26% oppose. Lab praying it was the game changer."
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2014
    I wondered when someone would deploy this bombshell against Labour's Burnham. Clegg won this one. It should be used everytime Labour whinge about privatising the NHS.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/45865/burnham_hits_out_at_clegg_over_nhs_privatisation_claim.html
    "The NAO report of the bidding process published on 8 November 2012 clearly states that in December 2009 there were only 3 bidders left in the process - Circle Health, Ramsay Health Care UK and Serco Health.
    "It says on page 20 that 'the two NHS trusts involved both withdrew at early stages of the process.'"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,934
    Omnium said:

You're right that Mike can do as he pleases, but you make it sound like he is intervening. If you want to post a cartoon lampooning whoever then it seems likely that you can do so here. Is PB perfect - no, not at all. Dreadful awful nonsense is posted every day (sometimes even without me - and clearly 'cos I'm hardly a regular). I know this, as do you, and yet we'll continue to visit.

The point that those looking for "neutrality" have come to the wrong place. If Luton Paul or anyone else wants to set up their own forum to promulgate their view of the world, so be it.

I'm not saying that's what OGH does either but the perception among those not well disposed toward the LDs that this site is unable to be critical of the Party is misplaced. That said individuals would want it to be critical to the exclusion of everything else (including being critical of UKIP, the Tories or Labour) seems odd.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,263
    edited December 2014
    Off-topic: any ideas what rides they're going to have in Saville-land?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-30411131

Edit: and they'd better not have a maintenance man called 'Jim'.
  • Options

I wondered when someone would deploy this bombshell against Labour's Burnham. Clegg won this one. It should be used everytime Labour whinge about privatising the NHS.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/story/45865/burnham_hits_out_at_clegg_over_nhs_privatisation_claim.html
    "The NAO report of the bidding process published on 8 November 2012 clearly states that in December 2009 there were only 3 bidders left in the process - Circle Health, Ramsay Health Care UK and Serco Health.
    "It says on page 20 that 'the two NHS trusts involved both withdrew at early stages of the process.'"

Burnham is an utter liar and typical Labour hypocrite.

Wonder what Big John thinks of this?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,263

Burnham could have cancelled the bidding process if he was so concerned about it going to an NHS bidder. But that would have been odd, as why invite private providers in the first place?

The fact he did not cancel the process indicates that either he was happy with private bidders at the time, or he knew the election was lost, and wanted to leave something they could throw at the Conservatives after the election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    If anyone was in two minds about visiting Iceland, then the news that it has the world's only Penis Museum might just sway you....

Including from 17 different species of whale. And a rogue polar bear.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

He won't care as long as taxpayers money carries on lining his golden pension pot.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    edited December 2014
    You get the feeling UKIP couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.

@MichaelLCrick Neil Hamilton has just stood down from Ukip selection in Basildon S & endorsed local cllr Kerri Smith, reinstated by HQ as contender today
  • Options

You get the feeling UKIP couldn't organise a pregnancy on a council estate.

I don't know, they at least seem to act swiftly on things.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

If anyone was in two minds about visiting Iceland, then the news that it has the world's only Penis Museum might just sway you....

Is there any stiff competition?
  • Options
    Point n laugh at UKIP.....
  • Options
    @ShippersUnbound Ukip really has come of age this week as a mainstream political party. Sex scandal. Check. Briefing against difficult candidates. Check.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:

isam said:

8th Jan is l'hustings
    "l'hustings"?

None of that foreign muck on the night pls Sam.
    Ha, I used to have my phone in French to try and teach myself a bit of the lingo! L'accueil is about all I remember of that pretentious nonsense!
  • Options

Burnham could have cancelled the bidding process if he was so concerned about it going to an NHS bidder. But that would have been odd, as why invite private providers in the first place?

The fact he did not cancel the process indicates that either he was happy with private bidders at the time, or he knew the election was lost, and wanted to leave something they could throw at the Conservatives after the election.
    Very likely the latter but it has backfired splendidly.
  • Options

@ShippersUnbound Ukip really has come of age this week as a mainstream political party. Sex scandal. Check. Briefing against difficult candidates. Check.

Dealing with difficulties far quicker than the other parties. Check.
  • Options

Blueberry said:

Blueberry said:

Thanks for that. 'Racist' at 1/2 is a bet, surely?
    Have you blocked me on the widget or summint??? I said that about 10 hours ago!

(Obv if you have tou wont see this!)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited December 2014

@DPJHodges 5h ago

"ComRes ITN poll that will terrify Labour. 33% support cutting spending to 1930's levels, 26% oppose. Lab praying it was the game changer."

LMAO at Hodges' outright lie. The question he's referring to doesn't ask whether they "support" or "oppose" it, it asks whether they think it will make themselves personally worse or better off (with a large % saying they have no idea).

I'm as against austerity as it's possible to be, but it probably wouldn't make me personally (financially) worse off since I don't rely on welfare. That's not in any sense the same as supporting it.
  • Options

isam said:

Aiiii!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934
    GeoffM said:

He won't care as long as taxpayers money carries on lining his golden pension pot.
    There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is the Tories privatising the NHS - BJO
  • Options

Dealing with difficulties far quicker than the other parties. Check.
    The Bird affair has been quietly rumbling away for over a month now.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. - Oscar Wilde

There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is the Tories privatising the NHS - BJO
    What about when Burnham did it?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Hamilton would make a good MEP

@TelegraphNews: Neil Hamilton is being questioned by Ukip over expenses he allegedly claimed for staying in his wife's flat http://t.co/6U8fmhZEoG
  • Options

GeoffM said:

That was a good Labour one, totally different to evil, baby eating Tory privatisation.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    So the conclusion on here is

UKIP select Hamilton = Disaster..

They haven't = Disaster

Righto

Just be grateful I was around to tip them up at 20/1 and keep schtum I reckon
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Frankly, all rather limp...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Tim_B said:

Frankly, all rather limp...
    Were they cavaliers or roundheads?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,339
    edited December 2014

@DPJHodges 5h ago

Wonder what the response would have been if it said cutting to 1998 levels, because give or take a bit of rounding and cuts are never achieved as planned, even in Tories get in that is what they are aiming for.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I don't get this, where has Hamilton been claiming expenses FROM? He's not elected to the European Parliament is he? Or are these old claims from the 90s when he was in Westminster?
  • Options
    "Natasha Bolter - She also became active in the Tower Hamlets Labour party"

That should have had UKIP warning alarms going off.
  • Options
    Just seen the UKIP expenses letter on Ch4 blog. Methinks if the big three parties had been as rigourous in making enquiries before paying they wouldnt be in the pickle they are now.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    isam said:

So the conclusion on here is

UKIP select Hamilton = Disaster..

They haven't = Disaster

Righto

Just be grateful I was around to tip them up at 20/1 and keep schtum I reckon

something about a whelk stall..
  • Options

Mike gives me complete editorial freedom, which is another way of saying the cartoons are my sole responsibility and do not represent the views of the site.

The truth is, any comedian will tell you that some words are funny, others are not - some stories are funny, some are not.

I don't touch sex abuse, or torture. Though I did write a graphic novel about sex abuse, called 'Runaway' (and I haven't found a publisher who hasn't found it too 'dark').

Not funny - Sir Cyril Smith, Jeremy Thorpe, Mark Oaten.

As for Lord Rennard, well, he IS a cartoon.

Huhne - you're wrong, I did do cartoons about Huhne at the time.

Anyway, you get the idea. It's not that cartoons on this site are passing over certain figures because Mike and I have colluded, and wish to be polite about one and rude about another, according to some party lines.

I didn't mean to give you a quick tutorial on cartooning. But you must watch 'Punchlines' with Tom Hanks and Sally Fields. I didn't appreciate them as actors until I saw this movie. It's a good script and it even features some grand old comedians. It really is a good film about writing, and about comedy. 'Funny/not funny' is all you need to know. Sounds simple, but comedians I love, like Woody Allen, work at it every day.

• Options

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

You might be thinking of Milburn the 2nd worst SOS in my 33 years in NHS

Lab had an NHS preferred provider policy under Burnham.

Scrapped by the coalition.

Lansley was the worst by the way with his flawed conflict of interest reforms.

By the way Ken Clarke was one of the best.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

That was a good Labour one, totally different to evil, baby eating Tory privatisation.
    I look forward to seeing how Labour's cuts will be the good kind, vs the ideological evil cuts we currently face. At the least I look forward to seeing the arguments as to how that is the case.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    Peak Kipper?

They just don't get 10% /15%/20% anymore

They'll fall back to 5%/7%/9%/11% at the GE?

They haven't got any seats/only got one/only got two/will lose them at the GE?

They're a one man band and that man is a drag on their appeal?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

Think you had better keep up with what has happened today before you look even more stupid.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited December 2014

Mike gives me complete editorial freedom, which is another way of saying the cartoons are my sole responsibility and do not represent the views of the site.

The truth is, any comedian will tell you that some words are funny, others are not - some stories are funny, some are not.

I don't touch sex abuse, or torture. Though I did write a graphic novel about sex abuse, called 'Runaway' (and I haven't found a publisher who hasn't found it too 'dark').

Not funny - Sir Cyril Smith, Jeremy Thorpe, Mark Oaten.

As for Lord Rennard, well, he IS a cartoon.

Huhne - you're wrong, I did do cartoons about Huhne at the time.

Anyway, you get the idea. It's not that cartoons on this site are passing over certain figures because Mike and I have colluded, and wish to be polite about one and rude about another, according to some party lines.

I didn't mean to give you a quick tutorial on cartooning. But you must watch 'Punchlines' with Tom Hanks and Sally Fields. I didn't appreciate them as actors until I saw this movie. It's a good script and it even features some grand old comedians. It really is a good film about writing, and about comedy. 'Funny/not funny' is all you need to know. Sounds simple, but comedians I love, like Woody Allen, work at it every day.

Surely Mark Oaten was funny!

(Though probably NSFW!)
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    isam said:

Peak Kipper?

Are you happy with the weeks events? Are they the works of a party fit to get its hands on the levers of power?

Yes. I certainly hope we have seen peak kipper and that they are being exposed.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Aiiii!

Hamilton is a political joke, they might as well select Jeffrey Archer for a seat.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

He didnt.

Think you had better keep up with what has happened today before you look even more stupid.
    I have kept up to date. These things are important to me.

When Burnham left office an NHS hospital was still involved in the bidding process, Peterboro and Stamford.

Circle were appointed in 2011.

Are you stupidly taking the facts from the wrong source?
  • Options
    edited December 2014

isam said:

Peak Kipper?

Are you happy with the weeks events? Are they the works of a party fit to get its hands on the levers of power?

Yes. I certainly hope we have seen peak kipper and that they are being exposed.
    You don't say!

I think it is a bit embarrassing that Natasha Bolter was considered a possible candidate but its quite a small story in the grand scheme of things.

It also embarrassing the way that people like you get so excited every time you think its all gone wrong for UKIP, get over it!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Well does that not sum Labour and their utter hypocrisy to a Tee. Burnham, the only man in the UK to ever have privatised an NHS hospital. Indeed i......

I agree this should be thrown at them relentlessly and if I were Clegg I would be demanding Burnham returns to the commons and corrects his misleading of the commons during his point of order.
This discussion has been closed.