Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Why the Tories find themselves in a pickle – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,053
edited August 4 in General
Why the Tories find themselves in a pickle – politicalbetting.com

What's the story warring Tories? Let's look at some @IpsosUK polling today on what the public think about different leadership candidates & the reasons behind the Conservatives recent defeat.Cons in a difficult spot. No easy answers.Let's dive in?https://t.co/P3Ax6XXg60

Read the full story here

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,339
    edited July 29
    The late Mr Eric Pickles would appear a colossus in the current field
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,539
    FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: McLaren now 42 points off Red Bull. 10 races left.

Last three races they've narrowed the gap by 9, 27, and 9 points.

Far from certain, but fairly content with the 4 on them to take that title. And glad I hedged my Norris 29 bet.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,249
    FPT:

Nigelb said:

Statement by the Iranian Government.

"The insulting representation of Jesus Christ in Paris yesterday was completely offensive and crossed all red lines.

France, a country with a major history of Christianity, must be ashamed of itself, and I implore our Christian people all over the world to speak out against this act. We resolutely condemn this."

If the Mullahs are upset France must have done something right.

Je Suis Paris.
    I think rather (since many folk will at least mildly disapprove of the parody), it’s that we should avoid any move in the direction of reacting as Iran does.

The reaction of some on the right is a step in that direction.
    I saw that section live, and saw zero connection with the Last Supper. Can someone explain the link?
    This is the still that has upset people

https://www.instagram.com/p/C97WzsCJInz

When I first saw it (without the comparator) I definitely thought of the last supper motif

It’s not hugely offensive in my view, but it is tired and has been done so many times. But the issue is more equality of treatment - the perception is that it is fine to mock Christians but not others
    The timing of the protests is interesting. It probably involves, in some order, Russian trolls, American alt-right, and on PB, Leon. I did ask Leon why he'd not protested at the time. You could ask the same of Iran, since their condemnation also seems to follow rather than lead the crowd.

@bondegezou added: It’s also just a really bad pun in French: Scène de la Cène sur la Seine. “La Cène” being the last supper.
    I don’t disagree

I’m a Christian and I’m more irritated with such a hackneyed and unfunny parody being thought worthy of inclusion.

But generally the enemies of the west on social media will jump on anything they can use to stir up discord and division
    Indeed. The enemies of the West would’ve always found something. I’m surprised they didn’t go with the ceremony’s support for threesomes (something popular on PB, but frowned upon in some conservative circles) or how two of the statues that rose out of the river were for women involved in legalising abortion.

What they should’ve been angry about is the terrible direction and editing of the whole thing!
    Interesting header. Immigration remains a clear focus for the Leave voters. I keep wondering whether the Tories shot themselves in the foot by constantly emphasising immigration. Will its salience as an issue reduce simply because the new government doesn’t keep banging on about it?

“They were seen as too left wing” is down at 6%. LOL, given how a few loud voices kept insisting this was the problem.

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,120
    Header: In short they’ve annoyed different voters for different reasons

Priti: Rwanda
    Tugendhat: Remain
    Kemi: culture wars
    Jenrick: Mickey Mouse

Anyway, we shall see this afternoon which MPs have 10 backers and are lining up in the Tory leadership stakes.

DavidL said:

The late Mr Pickles is still alive.
    It is his alarm clock that died.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,233
    DavidL said:

He's not dead is he?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,985
    They need to win back the headbangers now happily installed in the home of headbangers; they need to win over those who fled to the sensible shores of Labour and Lib Dems; they need to stop their residual voters dying.

Should be easy.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,652
    DavidL said:

He would appear a colossus in any field, unless it also contained John Prescott.
    How ‘back to basics’ police chief brought shoplifters to justice
    Norfolk Constabulary has a charging rate six times higher than the Met

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/28/how-back-to-basics-police-chief-shoplifters-justice/ (£££)

Right at the bottom, the Chief Constable notes a distinct change in the types of goods stolen. Where five years ago, it was primarily cosmetics and alcohol, it was now food that was the most common amid the cost of living crisis. “There’s no doubt people are stealing food to put on their table,” he said.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,657
    No pickle. There are two groups of voters - the hard right and the traditional right.

No matter how had the Tories try to cosplay Farage they will only ever be a berk in a silly costume. The hard right want the Nigel and can have him - look he's in parliament leading a party and everything.

The Tories have spent a decade trying to edge out Farage by getting more and more mental - and look what good it did them. A record vote for the nutter party and a record desertion of the non-nutter vote from themselves.

Their route back to power is simple: Fuck Farage.

Tell the Brexit obsessives and jingoists that they should join Reform. Bring back the Conservative Party, oppose from a base of sensible economics, pro business and moderate social values. Recover. Win.

Yes, they will lose some of their vote to Farage. But *that has already happened*. But they can win back all their other lost voters. And their self-respect. And besides which the Faragists are genuinely dying off. Unless the Tories can rediscover policies which encourage 20-somethings to vote for them, they will also die off.

FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

Far from certain, but fairly content with the 4 on them to take that title. And glad I hedged my Norris 29 bet.

Some predictions:
    1) Perez has driven his last race for RB. Danny Ric steps back in, Lawson to Torro Tauri App
    2) The Honey Badger does a much better job of supporting Verstappen and picks up a couple of podiums
    3) This won't help RB as Max is an angry and increasingly demented driver with his dad angrily attacking the team from inside the garage
    4) Max retains the driver's title - just. McLaren take the constructors. Verstappen leaves for Mercedes.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,536

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/28/how-back-to-basics-police-chief-shoplifters-justice/ (£££)

Right at the bottom, the Chief Constable notes a distinct change in the types of goods stolen. Where five years ago, it was primarily cosmetics and alcohol, it was now food that was the most common amid the cost of living crisis. “There’s no doubt people are stealing food to put on their table,” he said.

Rent is the killer - people are just having to pay too much so they are discovering there are too many days in the month for the money they have left.

FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

Some predictions:
    1) Perez has driven his last race for RB. Danny Ric steps back in, Lawson to Torro Tauri App
    2) The Honey Badger does a much better job of supporting Verstappen and picks up a couple of podiums
    3) This won't help RB as Max is an angry and increasingly demented driver with his dad angrily attacking the team from inside the garage
    4) Max retains the driver's title - just. McLaren take the constructors. Verstappen leaves for Mercedes.
    If Vercrashem goes to Merc, surely Russell will head the other way? He won't want to be teammate to Verstappen.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,592
    edited July 29
    ydoethur said:

FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

Some predictions:
    If Vercrashem goes to Merc, surely Russell will head the other way? He won't want to be teammate to Verstappen.
    The Times reported last weekend that the Dutch shunt is locked in with Red Bull until 2028.

Red Bull won't release him for free and Mercedes will not pay a transfer fee.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,406

DavidL said:

Baron Pickles, of Brentwood and Ongar in the County of Essex.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,858
    FPT
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Statement by the Iranian Government.

"The insulting representation of Jesus Christ in Paris yesterday was completely offensive and crossed all red lines.

France, a country with a major history of Christianity, must be ashamed of itself, and I implore our Christian people all over the world to speak out against this act. We resolutely condemn this."

If the Mullahs are upset France must have done something right.

Je Suis Paris.
    I think rather (since many folk will at least mildly disapprove of the parody), it’s that we should avoid any move in the direction of reacting as Iran does.

The reaction of some on the right is a step in that direction.
    I saw that section live, and saw zero connection with the Last Supper. Can someone explain the link?
    This is the still that has upset people

https://www.instagram.com/p/C97WzsCJInz

When I first saw it (without the comparator) I definitely thought of the last supper motif

It’s not hugely offensive in my view, but it is tired and has been done so many times. But the issue is more equality of treatment - the perception is that it is fine to mock Christians but not others
    And given the location, that criticism is fairer than normal. Arguably, there was a case for showing the Charlie Hebdo cartoons - I wouldn’t, but it would have been understandable - but having a pop at Christianity seemed completely unnecessary.
    You're assuming it was intended as a mockery of Christianity, or 'having a pop'.
    It was an appropriation of Leonardo's image - which as noted, has been done a thousand times before - without anyone assuming mockery.

Were Warhol's prints a mockery ?

Islam is, in the views of many of us, currently (though not always the case historically) over sensitive to the depiction of its prophet.

Christianity doesn't have the Islamic prescription on iconography - unless you're of the Cromwell tendency. And western society professes itself happy to accommodate satire on religion.
    Is that something you want to change ?

If France should be apologising for anything, it's for putting on a not very good opening ceremony. But that's hardly something to be outraged over.

• RichardrRichardr Posts: 94
    DavidL said:

Lord Pickles as he now is?
    edited July 29
    FF43 said:

They need to win back the headbangers now happily installed in the home of headbangers; they need to win over those who fled to the sensible shores of Labour and Lib Dems; they need to stop their residual voters dying.

Should be easy.

One Nationers should take over the Lib Dems.

Question to our Lib Dem members, how many in the voluntary party support the Orange Book policies now?
    Regarding the header, the obvious solution is today's Jim Hacker - step forward Mel Stride.
  • DavidL said:

This is welcome news for the nation and particularly for the makers of cheesy Wotsits.

FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

Some predictions:
    Are Mercedes going to sign an 'increasingly demented' driver ?
    I suspect not.

Russell appears entirely good enough to lead the team, and they don't need to replace Hamilton with someone who'll also cost tens of millions in salary, and who's likely to disrupt the team.
    They've some very promising youngsters in the pipeline.
    Paging all Labour supporters.

I've been telling you for fourteen years that austerity wasn't a choice, you owe David Cameron and George Osborne et al an apology.

Rachel Reeves will promise to sell off empty public buildings and slash government spending on consultants to balance the books, as she accuses the Conservatives of “running away” from difficult economic decisions and wrecking the nation’s finances.

In her first major speech as chancellor, Reeves will identify a £20 billion black hole in government spending on Monday as she seeks to pin the blame for future tax rises on Tory profligacy.

Echoing the arguments made by George Osborne for austerity after the Conservatives won power in 2010, Reeves will warn government departments and quangos of a cost-cutting drive across Whitehall after the Conservatives over-spent this year’s budgets by billions of pounds. The chancellor will launch the Office of Value for Money, a government agency to combat waste, as she warns of tighter spending.

As part of an immediate squeeze, she will accelerate the sell-off of empty public buildings and reduce the use of external consultants, a move expected to save £500 million.

The sale of surplus public property — a money-raising policy championed by Osborne — has generated £3 billion for the exchequer since 2010. Government reliance on consultants dramatically increased after Brexit and during the pandemic. Since the last election, Deloitte has won contracts worth £1.9 billion while its rivals, KPMG, EY and PwC, have earned £1.3 billion, £1.03 billion and £1 billion respectively.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/rachel-reeves-to-slash-spending-and-sell-off-empty-buildings-7hmqk5qlc

FF43 said:

Should be easy.

Question to our Lib Dem members, how many in the voluntary party support the Orange Book policies now?
    There are some hints in this interview with Ed Davey that the Lib Dems will be mostly after the Tory vote. Davey is inclined to Orange Book anyway, but it makes sense electorally and Davey is in an unchallenged position in his party as far as I know.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/28/lib-dems-plan-to-finish-the-job-in-tory-heartlands-says-ed-davey
    eek said:

Rent is the killer - people are just having to pay too much so they are discovering there are too many days in the month for the money they have left.
    This plus basic food is just a lot more expensive than it was a few years ago.

I've been telling you for fourteen years that austerity wasn't a choice, you owe David Cameron and George Osborne et al an apology.

Rachel Reeves will promise to sell off empty public buildings and slash government spending on consultants to balance the books, as she accuses the Conservatives of “running away” from difficult economic decisions and wrecking the nation’s finances.

In her first major speech as chancellor, Reeves will identify a £20 billion black hole in government spending on Monday as she seeks to pin the blame for future tax rises on Tory profligacy.

Echoing the arguments made by George Osborne for austerity after the Conservatives won power in 2010, Reeves will warn government departments and quangos of a cost-cutting drive across Whitehall after the Conservatives over-spent this year’s budgets by billions of pounds. The chancellor will launch the Office of Value for Money, a government agency to combat waste, as she warns of tighter spending.

As part of an immediate squeeze, she will accelerate the sell-off of empty public buildings and reduce the use of external consultants, a move expected to save £500 million.

The sale of surplus public property — a money-raising policy championed by Osborne — has generated £3 billion for the exchequer since 2010. Government reliance on consultants dramatically increased after Brexit and during the pandemic. Since the last election, Deloitte has won contracts worth £1.9 billion while its rivals, KPMG, EY and PwC, have earned £1.3 billion, £1.03 billion and £1 billion respectively.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/rachel-reeves-to-slash-spending-and-sell-off-empty-buildings-7hmqk5qlc

I'm suspicious of her reasoning. She has said, for example, that she wants to cancel Euston to Old Oak Common on HS2 - but Sunak had already said he was ditching that (and as it's not current account spending it doesn't make a difference to the deficit). Plus, selling off empty buildings is sensible, but doesn't make a large difference to immediate spending. So her claims don't really stack up.

Reeves is a chess player, and by all accounts a very fine one. I think we should assume this is the curtain raiser to tax rises and spending cuts that will actually be noticeable next year.

Austerity was wrong then and wrong now. As to the particulars, Sir Humphrey would surely approve of cutting numbers by hiring more civil servants: The chancellor will launch the Office of Value for Money, a government agency to combat waste, as she warns of tighter spending.

As to Times sub-editing, that's a lot of contracts since the last election, just three and a half weeks ago.

Austerity was wrong then and wrong now. As to the particulars, Sir Humphrey would surely approve of cutting numbers by hiring more civil servants: The chancellor will launch the Office of Value for Money, a government agency to combat waste, as she warns of tighter spending.

As to Times sub-editing, that's a lot of contracts since the last election, just three and a half weeks ago.
    Lots of offices to combat waste, to be responsible for budgeting, to oversee employment.

Shame none of them work.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,593
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Should be easy.

There are some hints in this interview with Ed Davey that the Lib Dems will be mostly after the Tory vote. Davey is inclined to Orange Book anyway, but it makes sense electorally and Davey is in an unchallenged position in his party as far as I know.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/28/lib-dems-plan-to-finish-the-job-in-tory-heartlands-says-ed-davey
    Besides, the space to the left of Labour has now been largely occupied by the greens. (Though it will be interesting to see how the urban Labour-facing Green vs. rural Conservative-facing Green dynamic plays out).
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    The lying by Labour is starting already. We will be taxed until the pips squeak. Leopards don't change their spots.

I’m unclear from the quote how Reeves’ proposals actually echo austerity. Cutting waste is a popular proposal all parties promote. Austerity meant significant cuts to publicly-funded services.

Not that I’m praising Reeves here. There’s an obvious mismatch: £20bn gap versus savings of a few billion.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,385
  • franklynfranklyn Posts: 318
    Thank you Kieran Pedley for an insightful analysis.
    Watching the 'leadership candidates' is like watching bald men fighting over a comb!

What happens if none of the many candidates get ten MPs to nominate them? Not impossible with so many candidates and so few MPs.

Or what if only one gets ten MPs to nominate, so that once again the membership are denied a choice.

To be honest they are all such lightweights that whoever wins, the membership will look back on the golden era of Liz Truss

FF43 said:

Should be easy.

Nobody - the Orange Book was of its time. How many are on the conservative side of the centre? Quite a lot - perhaps 40% including at least one local colleague that immediately springs to mind.

We saw during the coalition that there is large overlaps between Tory and LibDem, as there is LD and Labour. The challenge in politics usually isn't policy, it is ideology. For the sane Tories to join the LDs they would need to party the ideology. As I did when I joined from Labour.
    MAGA: The Olympics are insulting christians!

Also MAGA:

https://x.com/acnewsitics/status/1817252274801954991/photo/1

The lying by Labour is starting already. We will be taxed until the pips squeak. Leopards don't change their spots.

The government's tax take hit record highs under the Conservatives.

Many things hit record highs due to their party culture.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    Aargh!

I confess to severe disappointment that Labour are seemingly going to 'pause' infrastructure projects like the A303 Stonehenge and A27 Arundel bypasses; I can't see how that's going to help the economy grow.

Would much rather see higher taxes on the wealthy (myself included).

Still, a focus on balancing the books is to be applauded, and not quite in line with the "IMF bail-out by 2027" line being punted by Labour critics on here.
    Nigelb said:

FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

Some predictions:
    I suspect not.

Russell appears entirely good enough to lead the team, and they don't need to replace Hamilton with someone who'll also cost tens of millions in salary, and who's likely to disrupt the team.
    I assume that the "Max to Mercedes" rumours have some substance in both camps. Max is stroppy because the car doesn't do what he wants it to. Other drivers have had the same issues - the solution is build the team around that need as they did for Hamilton.

From what I can pick up, the Verstappen Snr / Horny relationship is so bad that it threatens the entire team. You don't fire the team boss in favour of your driver unless you are Ferrari, so Verstappen may need to actually leave. But to where?

He would be *brilliant* in an Indycar seat. Stick him in Penske alongside Will Power. What larks that would be!

FF43 said:

Should be easy.

In 30 years time we'll be bemoaning the unbreakable Labour - LibDem two-party system (the LDs having quietly dropped their PR policy for... reasons).

Aargh!

I confess to severe disappointment that Labour are seemingly going to 'pause' infrastructure projects like the A303 Stonehenge and A27 Arundel bypasses; I can't see how that's going to help the economy grow.

Still, a focus on balancing the books is to be applauded, and not quite in line with the "IMF bail-out by 2027" line being punted by Labour critics on here.

Ironically, balanced books will give Conservatives room for tax cuts in 2029.

Also MAGA:

Really, did you have to post that image?
    edited July 29

Aargh!

Well, this is the point, isn't it? Most governments in this country at least don't seem to grasp the fundamental difference between paying money on things that will then make money later and paying money to keep things going.

So, for example, HS2 to Euston, Leeds and Manchester will pay for itself six times over. HS2 from Old Oak Common to Crewe will make a loss. But the latter is a headline spending cut so is GOOD!

A new road around Newport would create a huge amount of wealth in South Wales by unclogging that key artery from Newport to Cardiff and allowing people and goods to be transported quickly and reliably. Lots of lovely tax revenue. But - it needs money so BAAD!

I'm not sure whether to blame Thatcher/Major with their tight monetary policies and suspicion of government intervention, or Brown with his stupid decision to call all his spending 'investment' even though most of his non-PFI stuff was current account spending.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

He's not dead is he?
    Only from the neck up

Also MAGA:

Yes.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,987

Interesting header. Immigration remains a clear focus for the Leave voters. I keep wondering whether the Tories shot themselves in the foot by constantly emphasising immigration. Will its salience as an issue reduce simply because the new government doesn’t keep banging on about it?

“They were seen as too left wing” is down at 6%. LOL, given how a few loud voices kept insisting this was the problem.

It was perhaps not so much the fact that the Tories campaigned against mass immigration, as the extraordinary dissonance between their aggressive rhetoric and the totally open door that allowed 1.3 million immigrants to enter the UK in less than 3 years. That such rhetoric was being aired by Braverman, Patel, Cleverly and Badenoch, and Tugendhat all of whom have immigrant backgrounds to a greater or lesser extent seems to have made the voters smell a rat.
    The Tory ideology of Cakeism- denouncing immigration whilst at the same time creating new immigration records- was a cognitive dissonance that clearly alienated the Leave right. It's hard to see how the Tories square that circle. Frankly, if Braverman did a hissy fit off to Farage, then at least the Tories might become Conservatives once more, and the populists would know to vote RefUK Ltd.
    Perhaps it's time the "broad church" accepted a disruption of the kirk, so they can finally decide what they stand for.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,235

Haven't you just criticised 'austerity' ?

That record tax take was and is being spent.

Ditto with all the borrowed money.
    On the various comments about austerity / rent / food:

Of course "austerity" is a choice. We shouldn't borrow to spend on opex, but we should to spend on capex. Slashing overspends is sensible, and as the new ministers dig into departments they will find case after case after case where "austerity" is costing money. Stupid cuts necessitating crisis spending which cost more than the cut.

I anticipate that they will invest back into those "austerity" measures so that after a brief period costing more they cost less. Stop spending the education budget on consultants and emergency building repairs and the impact of not having enough teachers, and instead make the school building habitable and thus cheaper and have teachers to save on that emergency spending.

"Austerity" is gleefully cutting for ideological reasons.

Food? Do the deal with the EU on food standards to slash the cost burden on the industry.

Rent? Needs a longer term plan. In the short term, take all public sector property off the market and cut rents to viable levels. That will have a catastrophic effect on spiv landlords who get to sell their properties at a discount which can then be bought and added to social stock and rented for less.

Yes there is a cost to this. But a much greater benefit when so much of the cash needed to circulate is allowed to circulate instead of being skimmed off by the landlords.
    edited July 29

Nigelb said:

FPT:
    Good morning, everyone.

Some predictions:
    I suspect not.

I assume that the "Max to Mercedes" rumours have some substance in both camps. Max is stroppy because the car doesn't do what he wants it to. Other drivers have had the same issues - the solution is build the team around that need as they did for Hamilton.

From what I can pick up, the Verstappen Snr / Horny relationship is so bad that it threatens the entire team. You don't fire the team boss in favour of your driver unless you are Ferrari, so Verstappen may need to actually leave. But to where?

He would be *brilliant* in an Indycar seat. Stick him in Penske alongside Will Power. What larks that would be!
    I suspect that Mercedes offered MV a drive, but the logistics don’t work out for next season. Then they offered Sainz a one-year contract which he didn’t want, so he probably goes to Audi. The next option is 18-year-old rookie Antonelli, who’s currrently in F2 and doing well, but it’s one hell of a promotion for him. The last rookie to go straight into a winning car was a certain Mr Hamilton in 2007.

The Red Bull team does indeed appear close to implosion behind the scenes, with Newey departed and Horny up against Marko and Vertappen Sr - not to mention an industrial tribunal in a few months’ time, from the former PA to Horny and Newey, over the team manager’s alleged inappropriate behaviour.

I reckon Magnussen goes to Indycar next year, as no-one in F1 particularly wants to give him a drive. Perez might end up there too, if as expected he gets replaced by Ricciardo at Red Bull.

This Sunday was noticeably warmer than last Sunday.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,858
    Nigelb said:

Regarding the header, the obvious solution is today's Jim Hacker - step forward Mel Stride.

But his current odds on Betfair are not very encouraging...But then, neither is the size of his majority.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,593

No pickle. There are two groups of voters - the hard right and the traditional right.

No matter how had the Tories try to cosplay Farage they will only ever be a berk in a silly costume. The hard right want the Nigel and can have him - look he's in parliament leading a party and everything.

The Tories have spent a decade trying to edge out Farage by getting more and more mental - and look what good it did them. A record vote for the nutter party and a record desertion of the non-nutter vote from themselves.

Their route back to power is simple: Fuck Farage.

Tell the Brexit obsessives and jingoists that they should join Reform. Bring back the Conservative Party, oppose from a base of sensible economics, pro business and moderate social values. Recover. Win.

Yes, they will lose some of their vote to Farage. But *that has already happened*. But they can win back all their other lost voters. And their self-respect. And besides which the Faragists are genuinely dying off. Unless the Tories can rediscover policies which encourage 20-somethings to vote for them, they will also die off.

The difficulty is that, while the Conservatives can win with Farage in the teens percent, it probably means that 2015 becomes the upper range of their ambitions. The Conservative dominance of most of our lifetimes has been driven by unity on the right and division on the left.

But yes, the Faragists can't be won back-at least, not without shedding an equivalent number of votes to the left. So better not to try too hard, on the basis of not worrying about things you can't control.

Ironically, the best hope for a Conservative revival is Labour succeeding in reducing the salience of immigration as an issue.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

He's not dead is he?
    Only from the neck up

Spent very badly as well

Spent very badly as well

I'm waiting to hear what the actual issues are - as the original ones seemed to be that there was a whole set of issues where money is needed and hasn't been budgeted for while this morning the issue was that money was being spent on the wrong things.

So I'm expecting to hear of more examples like Rwanda where £700m has been sent for a pointless exercise because the numbers didn't add up...

Liz Truss was right. We need growth. We can't cut our way to growth.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,385
    there are now hints that Downing Street is considering casting the Elgin Marbles in a new role — as ambassadors in an international charm offensive.

Sir Keir Starmer appears to have opened the door to returning the treasures to Athens amid a broader bid to “reset” relations with Europe, with Labour indicating that it could accept a long-term loan agreement between the British Museum and Greek ministers.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/history/article/labour-opens-door-to-loan-agreement-with-greece-for-elgin-marbles-cvwxqjhwv
    edited July 29

More taxes raised than ever, yet still a £50bn deficit in the past year, and £895bn of printed money to add to the £2trn public debt.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/bulletins/publicsectorfinances/june2024
    https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/quantitative-easing

Also MAGA:

Yes.
    Should've had a health warning with click-to-show. Feeling queasy now.
    edited July 29
    Mr. Eagles, there's a rumour Verstappen can leave if Marko's not there and Marko's willing to depart to help out Verstappen.

Mr. Pioneers, I largely agree. McLaren for the Constructors' seems eminently possible. I think Verstappen may win by a healthier than expected margin, but we'll see.

Edited extra bit: not sure if Verstappen will leave, though.
    ydoethur said:

Aargh!

Well, this is the point, isn't it? Most governments in this country at least don't seem to grasp the fundamental difference between paying money on things that will then make money later and paying money to keep things going.

So, for example, HS2 to Euston, Leeds and Manchester will pay for itself six times over. HS2 from Old Oak Common to Crewe will make a loss. But the latter is a headline spending cut so is GOOD!

A new road around Newport would create a huge amount of wealth in South Wales by unclogging that key artery from Newport to Cardiff and allowing people and goods to be transported quickly and reliably. Lots of lovely tax revenue. But - it needs money so BAAD!

I'm not sure whether to blame Thatcher/Major with their tight monetary policies and suspicion of government intervention, or Brown with his stupid decision to call all his spending 'investment' even though most of his non-PFI stuff was current account spending.
    There's also a fundamental difference between those things that will lose money later and those things that will make money later.

Many of the things claimed to be of the second sort are actually of the first sort.

And what decides whether an investment ends in making or losing money is often outside your control and sometimes just luck.
    Scott_xP said:

there are now hints that Downing Street is considering casting the Elgin Marbles in a new role — as ambassadors in an international charm offensive.

Sir Keir Starmer appears to have opened the door to returning the treasures to Athens amid a broader bid to “reset” relations with Europe, with Labour indicating that it could accept a long-term loan agreement between the British Museum and Greek ministers.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/history/article/labour-opens-door-to-loan-agreement-with-greece-for-elgin-marbles-cvwxqjhwv

More pointless culture wars - as Labour said of the Conservatives only a couple of months ago.
    edited July 29

That's very much the Conservative line but they have to pretend they didn't screw up the public finances to make these tax rises inevitable and that Labour wants tax rises for no reason at all.

Not very convincing.
    edited July 29

Mr. Eagles, there's a rumour Verstappen can leave if Marko's not there and Marko's willing to depart to help out Verstappen.

Mr. Pioneers, I largely agree. McLaren for the Constructors' seems eminently possible. I think Verstappen may win by a healthier than expected margin, but we'll see.

Marko signed a contract extension.
    Forget Oxford, it is Oxford Brookes that is GB Rowing’s new talent factory
    Every member of the Team GB men’s four and half the men’s eight at the Paris Olympics are Brookes alumni

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/28/oxford-brookes-is-gb-rowings-new-talent-factory/ (£££)

As General Melchett reminds us, in what was said to be an ad lib by Cambridge alumnus Stephen Fry (20-second video):-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

Also MAGA:

Yes.
    Should've had a health warning with click-to-show. Feeling queasy now.
    It’s character building.

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

There's also a fundamental difference between those things that will lose money later and those things that will make money later.

Many of the things claimed to be of the second sort are actually of the first sort.

And what decides whether an investment ends in making or losing money is often outside your control and sometimes just luck.
    It is very difficult to see how (for example) a new railway line connecting the four of the five largest cities in England would lose money.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Scott_xP said:

LOL

The slower pupils thought 2019 was the final Brexit election. 2028 will be fought over the stab in the back myth. Bet in the leadership election accordingly. This kills Turd, makes Nige a shoo in ignoring eligibility, the others all look the same to me, but it's whichever is brexitest.

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

The problem with Euston (and everywhere else) is that we've cheapskated for 30+ years running everything at capacity.

If I look at Florence you see that High Speed there is a long term project

1) Create the high speed track to the city edge
    2) bring trains in slowly to the existing station
    3) Build new station and finish the high speed track with a tunnel through the City

For Euston its way more complex

There is no route from Oak common to Euston and it's at capacity anyway. Hence Euston has the following projects all required at the same time:

1) High speed track to the city edge
    2) new station at Euston for HS2
    3) high speed track to Euston...
    4) improved underground station to cope with passengers on HS2*

You can see why it's so expensive - the biggest issue is that there any changes require a redesign (which adds time and money) so it's also cheaper to just f***ing build it.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,356
    franklyn said:

Watching the 'leadership candidates' is like watching bald men fighting over a comb!

What happens if none of the many candidates get ten MPs to nominate them? Not impossible with so many candidates and so few MPs.

Or what if only one gets ten MPs to nominate, so that once again the membership are denied a choice.

To be honest they are all such lightweights that whoever wins, the membership will look back on the golden era of Liz Truss

Jenrick and Stride are on five each. Badenock trails on three.
    edited July 29
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

It is very difficult to see how (for example) a new railway line connecting the four of the five largest cities in England would lose money.
    That's easy - solve all problems by making all of it a tunnel...
    Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

More pointless culture wars - as Labour said of the Conservatives only a couple of months ago.
    If we can have fake whales and fake dinosaurs in the Natural History Museum, it should be acceptable to make high definition copies of the Elgin marbles, and Keir Starmer and Kyriakos Mitsotakis can toss a drachma to see who keeps the real ones.
    edited July 29

And what clauses are in that extension?

Reality is I think Max is staying at Red Bull for 2025/26 and when the new rules have determined which engine is the best then Max will decide what to do..

Edit - quick google, surprisingly Marko's extension is to 2026 (not a surprise given the sentence above)
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

That's easy - solve all problems by making all of it a tunnel...
    Particularly one under Kilsby Ridge, I imagine?

• StereodogStereodog Posts: 571

FF43 said:

Should be easy.

Nobody - the Orange Book was of its time. How many are on the conservative side of the centre? Quite a lot - perhaps 40% including at least one local colleague that immediately springs to mind.

We saw during the coalition that there is large overlaps between Tory and LibDem, as there is LD and Labour. The challenge in politics usually isn't policy, it is ideology. For the sane Tories to join the LDs they would need to party the ideology. As I did when I joined from Labour.
    I'm not sure that the Orange Bookers (whom I counted myself as one) were ever anywhere near a majority in the wider party. Most older Lib Dems I know socially are ex SDP types. The young ones I've encountered in the local party are recent graduate professionals. They're more the kind of people who would have staffed local Labour parties back in the day
    Barnesian said:

franklyn said:

Jenrick and Stride are on five each. Badenock trails on three.
    The announcement is due this afternoon, possibly at half past two. Look for frenetic betting at 25 past!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,452

If Labour don’t invest in infrastructure then what are they even for??

Slightly concerned they'll nix the revamp of Bassetlaw A&E - whilst I think the due opening point of this autumn is probably a bit early, it is definitely well on it's way to completion.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.3179047,-1.1116897,3a,55.8y,159.13h,80.9t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sN-DVvz_lHAt0BKxql8DyHg!2e0!5s20230601T000000!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205409&entry=ttu

https://www.worksopguardian.co.uk/health/green-light-for-major-ae-expansion-at-worksops-bassetlaw-hospital-4052498
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,932

Aargh!

I am f*cked off to high heaven about the A303. My parent's village (Shrewton) is constantly blighted by feckers cutting through to avoid the Stonehenge queues. I just knew that a change in Government would do this. They have spent billions already (well millions for certain) and have closed a major road for months (A360) causing chaos and now this.

When government wants something its called investment. When it doesn't its saving money.

Absolute arses.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

The problem with Euston (and everywhere else) is that we've cheapskated for 30+ years running everything at capacity.

If I look at Florence you see that High Speed there is a long term project

1) Create the high speed track to the city edge
    2) bring trains in slowly to the existing station
    3) Build new station and finish the high speed track with a tunnel through the City

For Euston its way more complex

There is no route from Oak common to Euston and it's at capacity anyway. Hence Euston has the following projects all required at the same time:

1) High speed track to the city edge
    2) new station at Euston for HS2
    3) high speed track to Euston...
    4) improved underground station to cope with passengers on HS2*

You can see why it's so expensive - the biggest issue is that there any changes require a redesign (which adds time and money) so it's also cheaper to just f***ing build it.
    Also, NIMBY MPs don't help:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/08/05/hs2-keir-starmer-hypocrit-delay/

When he voted against the HS2 Bill in Parliament the following year, he insisted it was “my duty to stand with my constituents facing 20 years of devastation”.

Speaking in a debate held before the Bill passed through the Commons, he told MPs: “HS2 will come into Primrose Hill and crash through to Euston, destroying everything in its path.

“It is no wonder that at every meeting and everywhere I go in my constituency, anxiety is etched on the faces of everybody who talks to me about HS2. It is an appalling situation, one that is wholly unacceptable on any basis.”

Sir Keir also urged “compensation and mitigation” for affected residents. In November 2018, by which point he had been a member of the shadow cabinet for more than two years, he tweeted about “the devastating impact of HS2 in Camden”.
    ydoethur said:

Aargh!

wasn't it environmental issues that nixed the Newport to Cardiff road?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Sandpit said:

Scott_xP said:

If we can have fake whales and fake dinosaurs in the Natural History Museum, it should be acceptable to make high definition copies of the Elgin marbles, and Keir Starmer and Kyriakos Mitsotakis can toss a drachma to see who keeps the real ones.
    Not a coin toss, they get to choose in a blind tasting. Precludes complaints that the copies are manifestly inferior.
    eek said:

Reality is I think Max is staying at Red Bull for 2025/26 and when the new rules have determined which engine is the best then Max will decide what to do..

Edit - quick google, surprisingly Marko's extension is to 2026 (not a surprise given the sentence above)
    Verstappen’s contract says he can leave if Dr Marko is no longer at Red Bull.

I’m unclear from the quote how Reeves’ proposals actually echo austerity. Cutting waste is a popular proposal all parties promote. Austerity meant significant cuts to publicly-funded services.

Not that I’m praising Reeves here. There’s an obvious mismatch: £20bn gap versus savings of a few billion.
    I'm waiting to see the conclusions before I condemn Reeves. This is a review, and we don't yet know the outcome.

What's obvious (and TBF was back then) is that the pre election plans don't stack up financially.
    It's probably also true that she's found more unbudgeted stuff than she had assumed.

This Sunday was noticeably warmer than last Sunday.
    Hmm - when was last Friday? I don't think this one is trivial and a better formulation would have been since the 2019 election, to avoid ambiguity.

eek said:

Verstappen’s contract says he can leave if Dr Marko is no longer at Red Bull.
    And as I said Marko has an extension that is timed perfectly to allow Max to escape once the dust has settled on the new regulations...
    edited July 29
    ydoethur said:

Aargh!

The Brynglas Tunnels were a major bottleneck from the day the new Severn Bridge opened in the ‘90s, and their replacement or bypass really should have been thought about at the same time.

The A303 past Stonehenge has been a massive bottleneck for even longer, especially in the summer evenings. I remember being in the queue for what felt like hours as a kid in the ‘80s. Someone needs to decide to either start digging the tunnel or dual the existing road, then JFDI.

So much of the national infrastructure can be improved by eliminating a small number of these transport pinch points.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,060
    Good morning

The analysis in the thread header is spot on and time for the conservatives to send Braverman and others to Reform

On the economy not sure how Labour can complain about a 20 billion deficit when they are about to commit to an inflationary settlement in the public sector costing 10 billion or more plus plans to raise the national living wage by £2 per hour

I expect the prospect of interest rate reduction are on a knife because of these announcements alone
    eek said:

Spent very badly as well
    I'm waiting to hear what the actual issues are - as the original ones seemed to be that there was a whole set of issues where money is needed and hasn't been budgeted for while this morning the issue was that money was being spent on the wrong things.

So I'm expecting to hear of more examples like Rwanda where £700m has been sent for a pointless exercise because the numbers didn't add up...

There have already been lies distortions exaggerations about Rwanda in the costing from Labour. Bundling all the staff costs into the bill would be fine if this was new staff, or if you wouldn't be employing them otherwise.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Forget Oxford, it is Oxford Brookes that is GB Rowing’s new talent factory
    Every member of the Team GB men’s four and half the men’s eight at the Paris Olympics are Brookes alumni

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/2024/07/28/oxford-brookes-is-gb-rowings-new-talent-factory/ (£££)

As General Melchett reminds us, in what was said to be an ad lib by Cambridge alumnus Stephen Fry (20-second video):-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKuHYO9TM5A

Brookes have really built a niche for themselves along with motor sport racing.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,522

Also MAGA:

Comparing the magnificence that is Trump to Our Lord is obviously a compliment to JC, as any semi deranged MAGAt will tell you.
    Nigelb said:

I'm waiting to see the conclusions before I condemn Reeves. This is a review, and we don't yet know the outcome.

What's obvious (and TBF was back then) is that the pre election plans don't stack up financially.
    It's probably also true that she's found more unbudgeted stuff than she had assumed.
    Its all just from the new government playbook 101. Of course its worse than we feared.

eek said:

Spent very badly as well

There have already been lies distortions exaggerations about Rwanda in the costing from Labour. Bundling all the staff costs into the bill would be fine if this was new staff, or if you wouldn't be employing them otherwise.

10,000 staff being employed doing X when they could be doing something more useful is still a waste of money if X was completely pointless.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

A comment of astounding naivety.

It depends on if its future net income (itself dependent upon future demand, future income, future costs) would ever match its incurred costs.

Multiple uncertainties over a multi-generational time period.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,060
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

The Brynglas Tunnels were a major bottleneck from the day the new Severn Bridge opened in the ‘90s, and their replacement or bypass really should have been thought about at the same time.

The A303 past Stonehenge has been a massive bottleneck for even longer, especially in the summer evenings. I remember being in the queue for what felt like hours as a kid in the ‘80s. Someone needs to decide to either start digging the tunnel or dual the existing road, then JFDI.

So much of the national infrastructure can be improved by eliminating a small number of these transport pinch points.
    It is not just in South Wales but Drakeford cancelled the third Menai crossing despite Holyhead becoming a freeport plus the development of nuclear power on the island
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,096
    Based on those tables one thing that clearly unites 2024 Tory and Reform voters is the Tories didn't bring down immigration enough. So that will be a big issue for the next Tory leader to press, especially if Labour fail to do so too and perform poorly on the economy.

On a net basis amongst all voters Tugendhat performs best followed by Jenrick and I could well see Tory MPs putting those as the final two to members. Cleverly has the joint highest favourable score with Tugendhat but a higher unfavorable score too
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,858

FF43 said:

Should be easy.

In 30 years time we'll be bemoaning the unbreakable Labour - LibDem two-party system (the LDs having quietly dropped their PR policy for... reasons).
    Not at all. If the Lib Dems believe in creating a fair society, as is the case, then one key area is the voting system. The last election was most unfair to Reform, and moderately so to the Conservatives. The views of their supporters ought to be properly represented.

The Liberal Party believed in reforming the voting system when we were last in power, and indeed were introducing PR nationally, when the whole process was interrupted by the First World War.
    Just as an aside, it always astonishes me that Christian depictions of someone crucified have the nails in the wrong place, but there we are.
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

The problem with removing those pinch points is that it will simply reveal another issue further on...

I actually heard a valid argument for HS3 going to Wales a couple of weeks ago - the current rail tunnels are so old that the next set of maintenance will take years/ a decade to complete. So the plan would be:

1) build new tunnel to HS spec,
    2) route trains into new tunnel
    3) refurbish old tunnel
    4) build new line

The reason for 3/4 is that the expensive bit is the new tunnel everything else is cheap compared to that tunnel..
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Aargh!

I used to work at the Bell Inn in Winterbourne Stoke (last pub on the A303 before the motorway going East, and the last going West for a fair while. Some of you may have used it. This was in 1992. My boss, who leased it, bailed in about 1994 because he was convinced that the bypass was going through imminently. Indeed the route (to the East of the village was set out and ready). In 1992.

My Dad is 85. He has been waiting for two epochal events in his life since the 1990's - the duelling of the A303 and Bath to actually build the new stadium that's been talked of since the 1990's. I used to think he would see both in his lifetime, but I am no longer sure of either.
This discussion has been closed.