Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Stopping the supermajority Scotland style – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,871
edited July 4 in General
Stopping the supermajority Scotland style – politicalbetting.com

New Scotland Only Westminster poll, Savanta 28 Jun – 2 Jul (changes vs 21-25 Jun):SNP ~ 34% (nc)Lab ~ 31% (-3)Con ~ 15% (+1)LD ~ 9% (nc)RUK ~ 6% (nc)Grn ~ 3% (+1)A spicy final-but-mostly-MoE poll from Savanta, to be sure; in 2021 they had biggest SNP *under*estimate! pic.twitter.com/nzhRIxLK65

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,660
    edited July 3
    First like the nationalists in France and Scotland.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,745
    Only 46% of 18-34 year olds "certain to vote".

FFS.

And then they will spend five years whining over their oatmilk lattes about how boomers get all the public goods.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Key analysis from @CameronGarrett_ yesterday on turnout.

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1808424950979555758
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,237
    Third, not like the SNP.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,923
    edited July 3

FFS.

And then they will spend five years whining over their oatmilk lattes about how boomers get all the public goods.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Because they're all on holiday and their postal vote didn't arrive.

(Sample size = me)
  • Options
    TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 702
    Immediately off topic there's a bfx market on month Sunak ceases to lead Tory party. I lost too much money on Johnson's departure to risk any on this but my guess is there's so much hatred of him in the party that he may jump on Friday, possibly not even staying as caretaker
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,471
    Isn't Sunil another Tory to Labour switcher?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,428
    edited July 3
    Eabhal said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

(Sample size = me)
    Sorry to hear that. It is OUTRAGEOUS but that's what happens with the timing of the election (not to imply it's accidental, quite the reverse).

That actually makes me wonder how the Tories will do. Together with the slinkers back to the fold.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,564
    @TheScreamingEagles
    Do you know when the Savanta poll tables will be published?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,745
    Sam Freedman
    @Samfr
    ·
    53m
    One of the final phone polls of the election has the Conservatives on 18%.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,619
    edited July 3

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

This happens at every election IIRC. Harold Wilson complained that "The buggers didn't use it" when he lowered the voting age from 21 to 18 in time for the 1970 election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,902

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,927

Immediately off topic there's a bfx market on month Sunak ceases to lead Tory party. I lost too much money on Johnson's departure to risk any on this but my guess is there's so much hatred of him in the party that he may jump on Friday, possibly not even staying as caretaker

I suppose it’s just worth a wait to see who the survivors are - if they are all Suellaites then he’s doomed on day 2 but if they are all Dowdenites then they might keep him in situ for a while whilst they have a proper debate/horse trading session before any final leadership election.

If, as looks likely, CCHQ parachuted a lot of Rishi friendly candidates in and they all somehow manage to win then the party will have a very different complexion from what some fear and might not go down the loony rabbit hole as others hope they do.
  • Options

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Are you feeling any better today?
  • Options

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    But if you have been disfranchised by the selection of election date you certainly have every right to moan.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,102
    (Curse of the new thread, eh?)

OK, my predictions for tomorrow:

1. Labour to slightly stem the polling tide and land a (GB) vote share of above 40%, UK above 39%

Why: quite simply how few votes they need to actually gain to get there. A significant proportion of the work from a GB 32.9% last time out can be done by deaths, new voters, Tory abstentionism and the like, only 3-4% net need actually come from gaining switchers from other parties, and the people to do that are there imho.

2. That said Labour will lose votes to the left and will fail in at least half a dozen nominal defences:

Why: Hat tip to the poster who pointed me to the YouGov ethnic minority voter poll which had, iirc, Lab 43, Grn 26, Oth 10 for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. That sounds tolerable for Labour, but still gives scope the quarter of those voters who live in the 23 constituencies where they account for 30%+ of the population and where the highest profile others are standing to account for a lot of that "Other" vote, and even then selectively. I think locally to me, Dewsbury & Batley will be amongst these and I think the winners will be low profile names - I don't necessarily think Galloway and Corbyn will figure, though Reform might.

3. Tory vote share will be under 25% (UK)

Why: They are too far below 25% in polling. This reverses an earlier prediction of mine saying they would be above it, though I retain my broad brush, Labour to win by 8-16%, which today's predictions just about allow.

4. We will be close to a situation where the identity of HM Opposition could be unclear for some time and may rely on alliance making, whether that is LD/APNI/Green or Con/DUP or even that Reform getting a look in down the line. There may be parliamentary shenanigans, and we may have different blocs providing LOTO during the course of the next parliament. It could be messy.

Why: Simply because I'm in this territory with predictions 1-3.
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 631
    edited July 3
    A note on the MRPs. There is movement in VI of 1-2% towards the Cons and 1-2% against Lab which leaves nearly all the MRPs rather stranded. There is, however, an exception. The average of the last couple of days polls is almost identical to the numbers used in calculating the JL Partners SRP. In betting your hard money if you want to consider the MRPs I'd suggest looking at that one (and possibly the second YouGov) and strictly ignoring all the rest!

On the VIs. Verian is very interesting. I said they wouldn't herd and that 36% for Lab is notable. Given their record it may be correct - though the 15% lead over the Cons still earns Lab a thumping majority (Ain't FPTP wonderful!) We have an Ipsos incoming but I don't know about Survation or Opinium.

Edit - Survation has Lab down to 38% rather franking Verian's form. However, they have the lead on 20% and Ref only 1% behind the Cons. If that is right then mercy help the poor spread betters!
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,062
    edited July 3
    Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    But if you have been disfranchised by the selection of election date you certainly have every right to moan.
    Yes indeed. Scottish holidays have begun for example. Many Unis have broken up.

The old folks on this site aren’t covering themselves in glory today.
  • Options
    edited July 3
    Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Yes indeed. Scottish holidays* have begun for example. Many Unis have broken up.

The old folks on this site aren’t covering themselves in glory today.
    Schools still not skailed in the Aberdeen-ish area including ANME I tdhink, which would give Mr Ross a bit less [edit!] of a chance against the SNP and SLDs.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,665

Isn't Sunil another Tory to Labour switcher?

Perhaps. @Sunil_Prasannan ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,471
    Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Postal vote packs dropping on doormats this week is little use if the voter has been in Ibiza since Saturday.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Are you feeling any better today?
    Not much! But thanks for asking.
  • Options
    Oh dear, the Telegraph can't do simple maths. What's the world coming to.

"Tories to win just 64 seats, latest poll predicts
    Survey of 34,558 voters by Survation gives Labour majority of 159, with Sir Keir Starmer’s party predicted to win 484 seats"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/02/tories-cut-labour-lead-reform-uk-support-dips-poll/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,025
    edited July 3
    A Decision of Surpassing Recklessness in Dangerous Times

https://www.lawfaremedia.org/article/a-decision-of-surpassing-recklessness-in-dangerous-times

...The Supreme Court’s decision, however, does not come decontextualized in a casebook. And it is not, however much the justices of the majority may pretend otherwise, about the presidency in the abstract. Of course, it also affects the presidency in the abstract—and all future presidents who wield its powers. But this is a case about a particular man in interaction with the presidency. And those actions are not all in the past tense.

It is a case in which the Supreme Court was asked whether it wanted to enable Trump’s avowed authoritarianism in a future presidency by disabling his prosecution for crimes committed in his prior presidency.

It is, in other words, about some very immediate—and very non-hypothetical—dangers.

And it comes at a very specific political moment: Trump is currently leading in most polls. According to Nate Silver’s forecast, Trump has a 71 percent chance of winning the election in November. That chance is only 51 percent if you prefer the 538 forecast. But he’s the current front-runner by any reasonable measure. His opponent’s campaign is in no small turmoil following Joe Biden’s disastrous performance in last week’s debate. Trump is, in short, the single most likely person in the world to wield the powers of the American presidency come Jan. 20, 2025.

He is also a convicted criminal—no small matter when one is writing a “rule for the ages” about prospective presidential impunity, as Justice Neil Gorsuch put it during oral arguments. The court majority may flatter itself that it’s staying out of politics. But this is a fairy tale the justices are telling themselves—if they are, in fact, telling themselves this pleasant little tale. In fact, they are handing a powerful immunity to an adjudged felon who may be about to assume “the executive power” of the United States, and they are doing it by corroding—and perhaps rendering impossible—accountability for his past crimes.

There’s another sense in which the Supreme Court has failed here: It has articulated a set of standards for presidential immunity that are utterly opaque. The most fundamental job of an appellate court, even when it’s articulating an objectionable principle, is to give actionable guidance to lower courts. The Court in this case has not done this. Reading the opinion alongside the indictment, it is completely unclear how to apply it to the instant case along a number of different axes and with respect to a number of different allegations...

Read the whole article if you are in any doubt about the court's judgment.
    It is an excellent step by step examination of just how bad it is.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,660
    Its nearly time so what is everyones best bet at this point?

SNP to be largest scottish party is mine at 100/30 with skybet
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,841
    @jrmaidment
    Rishi Sunak delivers the best quote of the general election campaign.

Asked if he is planning a special meal on election night, he tells ITV's This Morning programme:

“My favourite meal, generally, is sandwiches.”

@TomLarkinSky

Rishi Sunak's just told This Morning that his favourite meal is 'sandwiches'. Er, are sandwiches even a meal?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Or, you could argue that anybody booking a holiday without sorting out a postal vote in the ample time since the election has been called has decided to disenfranchise themselves...
  • Options
    Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 125
    edited July 3
    Have we already done this?

@TomHCalver

The PM has seized on our research suggesting 130k votes (in theory) separate a 200-seat Labour majority from a hung parliament

But I should also point out that 200k going the other way could leave the Tories with ZERO seats.

Welcome to marginal Britain.

https://thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/how-100-marginal-seats-could-dash-labours-hopes-of-a-supermajority-s85bmnmk8
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Oh dear, the Telegraph can't do simple maths. What's the world coming to.

"Tories to win just 64 seats, latest poll predicts
    Survey of 34,558 voters by Survation gives Labour majority of 159, with Sir Keir Starmer’s party predicted to win 484 seats"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/02/tories-cut-labour-lead-reform-uk-support-dips-poll/

Also obvious the Brexiters have airbrushed NI from history.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,203
    Interesting thread:

I’m going to do a short thread on what I think could be some surprises tomorrow night….

https://x.com/ProfJaneGreen/status/1808438043503649116
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 631
    Survation final poll has Reform 6% higher than their MRP polling. Ignore that MRP!

They have the Cons looking very low - a counter-balance to JLP who are the other side of the polling pack. Interesting both have Ref on 16 or 17%. Survation have the Others on 5% which looks very high tho they and Savanta generally have had them far above all other firms. Is it the Galloway surge? (Answer - No, it isn't).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,486
    Farooq said:

@TheScreamingEagles

They have until Friday close of business.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,560
    Eabhal said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

(Sample size = me)
    My son's postal vote too. Phoned up every day last week, emailed and got a letter from Vale of Glamorgan Council on Friday saying his postal vote would arrive on Monday. He's in Wrexham all week.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,816

@TomHCalver

The PM has seized on our research suggesting 130k votes (in theory) separate a 200-seat Labour majority from a hung parliament

But I should also point out that 200k going the other way could leave the Tories with ZERO seats.

https://thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/how-100-marginal-seats-could-dash-labours-hopes-of-a-supermajority-s85bmnmk8

CAN WE STOP SAYING SUPERMAJORITY

Ahem

Yes - I think this is what makes this a particularly tricky election to predict and bet on. Small national swings could have big seat swings. A few people will make out like bandits from the spreads, I think, but tbh this will be more luck than judgement.
  • Options

Farooq said:

@TheScreamingEagles

They have until Friday close of business.
    Hmmm, maybe no good for helping me decide then. Thanks though.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Or, you could argue that anybody booking a holiday without sorting out a postal vote in the ample time since the election has been called has decided to disenfranchise themselves...
    ... except for the standards set for councils sending out postal votes.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,923

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    Postal vote packs dropping on doormats this week is little use if the voter has been in Ibiza since Saturday.
    It's that you can't get an emergency proxy that infuriates me
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,942
    I wonder if there is value in Labour>500 seats at 22 now? Or LD as most seats without Labour at 6.6?

Personally I'm not quite there with those - both BFX.
  • Options

I think the SNP will narrowly get most votes in Scotland but Lab most seats.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

Asked if he is planning a special meal on election night, he tells ITV's This Morning programme:

@TomLarkinSky

Rishi Sunak's just told This Morning that his favourite meal is 'sandwiches'. Er, are sandwiches even a meal?

"Generally".
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,864
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

(Sample size = me)
    Sorry to hear that. It is OUTRAGEOUS but that's what happens with the timing of the election.

That actually makes me wonder how the Tories will do. Together with the slinkers back to the fold.
    Yoons, May 2024: typical Nats moaning about timing of GE, SHUT UP SWINNEY
    Yoons, July 2024: people with postal votes disenfranchised, SNP must explain

The Edinburgh council guy (Returning officer?) on R4 last week was quite reasonable despite Martha Carney asking the same question over and over again. Essentially they’re legally constrained on dates of printing ballot papers and can’t mess about with that. It sounds like it’s been a perfect storm of GE date, a general increase in postal voting and Royal Mail being a bit crap.
  • Options
    edited July 3

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    That's simply not true.

The postal votes cannot be issued until all candidates have been confirmed.

My son applied the night Sunak announced the election in the rain.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,203
    FPTP & vote share:

Assuming the polls are roughly right the combined Tory and Labour share of the vote will be at its lowest level in memory. Lower than the 65% in 2010. So a quick thread 🧵on the huge electoral distortions that will come from our first past the post (FPTP) system tomorrow. 1/n

https://x.com/robertshrimsley/status/1808435112607887834
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I think Labour will be ahead on both metrics, but your prediction is perfectly sensible. Labour will be more efficient in Scotland I think.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

He is a bit of a weirdo. But this can be fine. Thatcher was deeply weird, for example. The issue is more that he doesn't understand how weird he comes across (like his unfortunate factory visit Q&As). He is the most David Brent-ish PM we've had.

Also - 'sandwich' is more a format than a meal. Like saying 'My favourite band is R&B'.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,926
    https://x.com/BurnsConleth/status/1808446673665823008?s=19

Poll of Muslim voters from MiC. Indies/WPB with a fair showing but Labour well out in front, albeit less dominant than 2019
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,486
    tlg86 said:

First like the nationalists in France and Scotland.

The Auld Alliance.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

@TomHCalver

CAN WE STOP SAYING SUPERMAJORITY

Ahem

Yes - I think this is what makes this a particularly tricky election to predict and bet on. Small national swings could have big seat swings. A few people will make out like bandits from the spreads, I think, but tbh this will be more luck than judgement.
    Agreed.
    Let's call it a super majority instead.

A tremendous, splendid, fantastic, absolutely topping majority...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    In principle I think it's a bad thing, but tend to agree that folk leaving this sort of stuff to the last minute have to accept a bit of responsibility themselves.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,549
    boulay said:

I suppose it’s just worth a wait to see who the survivors are - if they are all Suellaites then he’s doomed on day 2 but if they are all Dowdenites then they might keep him in situ for a while whilst they have a proper debate/horse trading session before any final leadership election.
    Something tells me the date will be determined entirely by how well it fits in with Sunak's personal plans, and not in the least by any considerations of the future of the Tory party.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

He is a bit of a weirdo. But this can be fine. Thatcher was deeply weird, for example. The issue is more that he doesn't understand how weird he comes across (like his unfortunate factory visit Q&As). He is the most David Brent-ish PM we've had.

Also - 'sandwich' is more a format than a meal. Like saying 'My favourite band is R&B'.
    Awful suspicion he means a £4.49 meal deal with diet coke and a KitKat.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,889

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    I don't agree with that.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 432

https://x.com/BurnsConleth/status/1808446673665823008?s=19

Poll of Muslim voters from MiC. Indies/WPB with a fair showing but Labour well out in front, albeit less dominant than 2019

Very efficient Labour vote. There are a few west Yorkshire/East Lancashire vote where it might matter but the Tory vote collapsing will the labour party gaining those seats anyway
  • Options
    edited July 3
    Ghedebrav said:

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    In principle I think it's a bad thing, but tend to agree that folk leaving this sort of stuff to the last minute have to accept a bit of responsibility themselves.
    Victim blaming: not so much you as the right-wing oldies. The timings are just too constrained by law to work in a holiday season and when unis break up (as Heathener reminds us).
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,159

Eabhal said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

(Sample size = me)
    My son's postal vote too. Phoned up every day last week, emailed and got a letter from Vale of Glamorgan Council on Friday saying his postal vote would arrive on Monday. He's in Wrexham all week.
    I'm glad my lad opted for a proxy vote (by me). He decided against a postal vote because it seemed like there were more things that could potentially go wrong. And he trusts me to cast his vote as instructed, natch :smile:
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,392
    And now for something completely different.......Funny but true

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKAeO-5saqQ
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Of course sandwiches are a meal. If you have sandwiches for lunch then your lunchtime meal was sandwiches.

Now they could be shitty sandwiches with a couple of slices of white bread and a slice of cheese or they could be a few rounds of freshly made Reuben sandwiches but a meal all the same.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    That's simply not true.

Which was weeks ago. Apart from those councils where there have been delivery cock-ups, most postals have been out for two weeks.

And the application could have been made once the election was called.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,811
    I think turnout will be low.
    I think Labour will have a record landslide in seats.
    I think that landslide will come on less that 38% of the vote.
    I think the SNP will hold the majority of Scottish seats.
    I think Liz Truss will lose her seat
    I think there will be recounts in at least 20 seats.
    I think Farage will win Clacton with a bigger majority than Rishi Sunak in Richmond and Northallerton.
    I think there will be very different voting patterns in different regions, with the Lib Dems doing well in Wessex and generally badly in the Midlands and industrial north and North East.
    I think Labour sweep the red wall, but have some surprise losses in areas with high ethnic minority voters.
    Some losses in blue wall seats, but Tories still comfortably ahead of Lib Dems in seats numbers.
    Reform win 5, Greens win 3.
    We will see in about 36 hours.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,480
    Following last week's bombshell that Aldi in the UK is actually part of Aldi Süd, rather than the more logical Aldi Nord, here is this week's useless fact:

In Germany there are 2 supermarket chains called Netto: Netto (with dog) and Netto (without dog).

This is a bit different to Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd, who coordinate with each other and have divided Germany between them. Above a certain latitude you only find Aldi Nord, and below it Aldi Süd. A bit like the 38th Parallel in Korea or the Mason-Dixon line. I'm not sure on what basis, but they have also divided the rest of Europe into spheres of influence.

The 2 Nettos are completely different companies, Netto (with dog) is owned by a Danish company, Netto (without dog) by a German supermarket chain. I don't think I have ever seen Netto (with dog) outside of the former East Germany, but there are places there that have both and you have to say 'Netto with/without dog' to specify which supermarket you mean.

I realise Netto (with dog) no longer operates in the UK so this may be of slightly less interest than the 2 Aldis revelation, but I promise this is more interesting than next week's useless fact (which will be about Lidl).
  • Options
    edited July 3
    For anyone doubting what a bunch of utter c**** many reform candidates are, here's a disgusting humdinger.

https://www.thetimes.com/article/reform-uk-candidate-described-autistic-people-as-vegetables-tvgtxkx3p
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 432
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Of course sandwiches are a meal. If you have sandwiches for lunch then your lunchtime meal was sandwiches.

Now they could be shitty sandwiches with a couple of slices of white bread and a slice of cheese or they could be a few rounds of freshly made Reuben sandwiches but a meal all the same.
    He really an accountant. Lol.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,362
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Strong Barty Bobs energy.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,557
    Andy_JS said:

The poll is really a slight shuffling of the unionist parties. No change in SNP share. Not necessarily a good sign for John Swinney. May reflect a willingness by anti-SNPers to vote tactically. Same problem for Tories south of border.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Likely to be a shit sandwich, come Friday early am.
  • Options
    edited July 3

Carnyx said:

FFS.

Keiran Pedley
    @keiranpedley

Don't vote, can't moan.
    That's simply not true.

Which was weeks ago. Apart from those councils where there have been delivery cock-ups, most postals have been out for two weeks.

And the application could have been made once the election was called.
    My son applied an hour or two after Sunak removed his suit to send to the dry cleaners.

It might have arrived on Monday but he is working for the BBC in Wrexham this week. He phoned up every day last week and the week before.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,435
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

It's sort of slightly endearing, unless he was just scrabbling around in his brain for the last thing he could remember eating that wasn't posh, and alighted on sarnies.
  • Options
    lol at the before and after photos.

https://x.com/damocrat/status/1808269685240050111
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

The reporting is a bit unfair. Although he did describe himself as "a big [sic] sandwich person", he also said his election night treat would be a "very good pork pie with a special chutney and some cheese as well, on top",
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,463
    Morning PB (Just)

I see Survation has kicked off our Eve Of Poll, polls! Many more still to come

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Cicero said:

I think Farage will win Clacton with a bigger majority than Rishi Sunak in Richmond and Northallerton.
    I think there will be very different voting patterns in different regions, with the Lib Dems doing well in Wessex and generally badly in the Midlands and industrial north and North East.
    I think Labour sweep the red wall, but have some surprise losses in areas with high ethnic minority voters.
    Some losses in blue wall seats, but Tories still comfortably ahead of Lib Dems in seats numbers.

I agree with all of that except Reform 5 seats. I think 1 or 2.
  • Options
    I have never watched a single episode of reality TV but I would pay good money to see a fly.on wall documentary on Sunak family life. Surpassingly weird.
  • Options
    @RepRaskin on the Democratic ticket: "I know this is a moving target. It's got to happen quickly. But I can guarantee you—there will be massive unity and focus on that task when we get to the end of this process. And it's happening very quickly."
    https://x.com/allinwithchris/status/1808301888187625982
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,511
    kamski said:

Following last week's bombshell that Aldi in the UK is actually part of Aldi Süd, rather than the more logical Aldi Nord, here is this week's useless fact:

In Germany there are 2 supermarket chains called Netto: Netto (with dog) and Netto (without dog).

This is a bit different to Aldi Nord and Aldi Süd, who coordinate with each other and have divided Germany between them. Above a certain latitude you only find Aldi Nord, and below it Aldi Süd. A bit like the 38th Parallel in Korea or the Mason-Dixon line. I'm not sure on what basis, but they have also divided the rest of Europe into spheres of influence.

The 2 Nettos are completely different companies, Netto (with dog) is owned by a Danish company, Netto (without dog) by a German supermarket chain. I don't think I have ever seen Netto (with dog) outside of the former East Germany, but there are places there that have both and you have to say 'Netto with/without dog' to specify which supermarket you mean.

I realise Netto (with dog) no longer operates in the UK so this may be of slightly less interest than the 2 Aldis revelation, but I promise this is more interesting than next week's useless fact (which will be about Lidl).

kamski said:

IIRC if you have ever been to a Netto in the UK before their unlamented demise, Lidl is like Harrod's foodhall in comparison.
  • Options
    kamski said:

I don't want to be crushing, but why is two Aldis a revelation?

The ALDI brothers (iirc) divided up the world like Pope Alexander VI did between Portugal and Spain in the Treaty of Tortillas *, 1493.

I thought everybody knew this. They did it, like Pope Alexander, before most of us on PB were born.

(*) OK, Treaty of Tordesillas. My name is better.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

lol at the before and after photos.

https://x.com/damocrat/status/1808269685240050111

Shit he has gone full fabricant. You never go full fabricant.
  • Options
    My fav bet at the moment is turnout low, 57.5 - 59.99 band at 8.4 with bf.

It will probably be higher but 8.4 is too big.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Maybe they expected him to say foie gras topped with gold leaf for every meal...disappointed when he didn't.
  • Options

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

It's sort of slightly endearing, unless he was just scrabbling around in his brain for the last thing he could remember eating that wasn't posh, and alighted on sarnies.
    lol, Yes, he was yearning to scream “Lobster Thermidor” and his team are miming desperately behind the questioner the act of eating a sandwich. Luckily none mimed eating a baguette as he could have interpreted that in a very unfortunate way.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,811

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Maybe they expected him to say foie gras topped with gold leaf for every meal...disappointed when he didn't.
    Isn´t he vegetarian anyway?
  • Options
    boulay said:

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

lol, Yes, he was yearning to scream “Lobster Thermidor” and his team are miming desperately behind the questioner the act of eating a sandwich. Luckily none mimed eating a baguette as he could have interpreted that in a very unfortunate way.
    Interesting point for discussion there.

If Sunak had interpreted his minders as indicating "fellatio", who would he have specified as the donor?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Can you also do Adidas vs Puma please
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 40,084

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Awful suspicion he means a £4.49 meal deal with diet coke and a KitKat.
    £3.50, I think? Up from £3 but still value with a capital V.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Allegedly, but the pork pie treat stuff would indicate that's as big a lie as any of his others.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,658
    Normally the figures "x is not that far off a majority" assuming precisely the right people in precisely the right seats switch their votes from party y to x are a nonsense and completely unrealistic so I did the calculation for the Tories using Electoral Calculus model and projected turnout.

They're 600,256 votes away which is an enormous number when you're assuming that they'll get a majority of 1 in 326 seats with say 7050 Labour expected voters deciding on the day they'll vote Tory.

Away from

0 seats 270,000 fewer
    100 seats 7,000 (More)
    200 146,000
    300 476,000
    400 1,047,000
    500 1.85 million
    632 3.4 million
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,519
    edited July 3
    Stocky said:

Cicero said:

I agree with all of that except Reform 5 seats. I think 1 or 2.
    How many recounts do we usually have?
    I must say I fear that the election won’t be as disastrous for the Conservatives as we are (nearly) all expecting (hoping)!

Although there aren’t nearly as many Conservative window posters as usual, locally, and a lot more Labour ones.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    How do you place a low risk bet on tomorrow's G.E. just for a bit of fun.

My suggestion on one way would be to back the Tories over two x 50 seat bands, i.e. to win 50 - 99 seats or 100 - 149 seats.
    Based on staking say £20 in total (your call of course) and based on the current odds available, these two bets would be placed as follows:

Bookie Tory Seats Odds Stake Win / (Lose)

BETFRED 50 - 99 2.3 (1.3/1) £11.10 £14.43 / (£11.10)

AK Bets 100 - 149 2.875 (15/8) £8.90 £16.69 / (£8.90)

On the basis of just about all recent polling, one or other of these two x 50 seat band bets will prove successful, thereby providing a virtually identical profit in either case of £5.53/£5.59. That's a return in 24 hours of 27.8%, which has to beat working for a living!
  • Options
    edited July 3
    Cicero said:

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

Makes for a deeply unsatisfying set of sandwich options...although it avoids the spectacle of him eating a bacon sarnie that has proved so toxic in the past.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

boulay said:

Scott_xP said:

@jrmaidment

@TomLarkinSky

'This cruelty-free vegan “foie gras” is SO buttery, creamy, and surprisingly close to the real one! It is prepared from raw cashews and infused with aromatics like miso, nutritional yeast, tahini, and truffle oil.'

https://fullofplants.com/the-best-vegan-foie-gras/
  • Options
    boulay said:

If, as looks likely, CCHQ parachuted a lot of Rishi friendly candidates in and they all somehow manage to win then the party will have a very different complexion from what some fear and might not go down the loony rabbit hole as others hope they do.
    Having a looksee, I have put a fun money £3 on "2025 or later", at odds of 36.

Purely on the possibility that he will be a Michael Howard, not a David Cameron. That's assuming he keeps his seat.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 48,875
    edited July 3
    Stocky said:

My fav bet at the moment is turnout low, 57.5 - 59.99 band at 8.4 with bf.

It will probably be higher but 8.4 is too big.

Just remember when making historical calculations that the register is a lot more efficient nowadays, with far fewer out of date or duplicate entries, which pushes calculated turnout up even when the proportion of people voting is the same.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,362

I have never watched a single episode of reality TV but I would pay good money to see a fly.on wall documentary on Sunak family life. Surpassingly weird.

Episode 1: Hilarity and misunderstandings ensues when Rishi tries to explain quadratic equations to his daughters, Vlookup and Sumif. Meanwhile Mrs Sunak causes a stir when she buys a platinum and ruby tampon carousel for her third best helicopter.

Theme tune by T-Swizzle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Atdzfj8LcuY
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,250
    Nigelb said:

@RepRaskin on the Democratic ticket: "I know this is a moving target. It's got to happen quickly. But I can guarantee you—there will be massive unity and focus on that task when we get to the end of this process. And it's happening very quickly."

Perhaps the Supreme Court decision has focused minds a little more? Might this actually be a moment when people put personal vanity to one side and act in the collective interest?
  • Options

For anyone doubting what a bunch of utter c**** many reform candidates are, here's a disgusting humdinger.

https://www.thetimes.com/article/reform-uk-candidate-described-autistic-people-as-vegetables-tvgtxkx3p

Reform puts all of the deeply unpleasant people of the right into one easy-to-vote-against package.
    There are still quite a few of them in the Conservatives though
  • Options

How do you place a low risk bet on tomorrow's G.E. just for a bit of fun.

My suggestion on one way would be to back the Tories over two x 50 seat bands, i.e. to win 50 - 99 seats or 100 - 149 seats.
    Based on staking say £20 in total (your call of course) and based on the current odds available, these two bets would be placed as follows:

Bookie Tory Seats Odds Stake Win / (Lose)

BETFRED 50 - 99 2.3 (1.3/1) £11.10 £14.43 / (£11.10)

AK Bets 100 - 149 2.875 (15/8) £8.90 £16.69 / (£8.90)

On the basis of just about all recent polling, one or other of these two x 50 seat band bets will prove successful, thereby providing a virtually identical profit in either case of £5.53/£5.59. That's a return in 24 hours of 27.8%, which has to beat working for a living!

You'll be hacked off if they get 150 seats! (Or 49! This election is so weird on Tory seats I would steer clear.)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Normally the figures "x is not that far off a majority" assuming precisely the right people in precisely the right seats switch their votes from party y to x are a nonsense and completely unrealistic so I did the calculation for the Tories using Electoral Calculus model and projected turnout.

They're 600,256 votes away which is an enormous number when you're assuming that they'll get a majority of 1 in 326 seats with say 7050 Labour expected voters deciding on the day they'll vote Tory.

Away from

0 seats 270,000 fewer
    100 seats 7,000 (More)
    200 146,000
    300 476,000
    400 1,047,000
    500 1.85 million
    632 3.4 million

It's like the bonkers stat you see from people who want you to stay invested in equities showing how much less you would make over a 10 year period if you hadn't been invested on its 10 best days. How would that happen and where's the mirror statistic about being out of the market on the 10 worst days?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Perhaps the Supreme Court decision has focused minds a little more? Might this actually be a moment when people put personal vanity to one side and act in the collective interest?
    "People" = Biden family?

No sign of it happening.
This discussion has been closed.