Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Justice Delayed …. – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,767
edited May 20 in General
Justice Delayed …. – politicalbetting.com

"People put their trust in doctors and the government to keep them safe. And that trust was betrayed."Infected Blood Inquiry chairman Sir Brian Langstaff says the government "compounded the agony" of those affected by the scandal. pic.twitter.com/yPg0zxGN28

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,965
    It's so bad it's hard to comprehend. Thanks @Cyclefree
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,731
    edited May 20
    "Who set up the enquiry in 2017..."

...Langstaff ended his statement by referring to Perry Evans, who had haemophilia, and was infected with HIV in the 1980s, and he gave evidence to the inquiry on the first day it opened. He had been able to lead an active life. But he died five weeks ago, Langstaff said.

...Langstaff said he wanted to ensure his recommendations were implemented.

He said that, in his letter to John Glen, the Cabinet Office minister handling the inquiry, he said that he was not yet able to say the inquiry had fulfilled its term of reference in terms of the “nature, adequacy and timeliness” of its conclusion

The reference to “timeliness” provoked a round of applause.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,440
    FPT

Eabhal said:

Big move to Labour in Scotland. 10pt lead. Westminster GE.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1792556360913072303?t=GcIWJW7GMGaD_KQIZRLfZg&s=19

McStarmer fans please explain

Sir Keir popped up on Sunday Brunch on the telly yesterday. Just came across as a genuine, nice bloke. No idea why he gets the opprobrium he gets on PB. Worth a watch.
    I never understand this 'he comes across as a nice bloke' stuff. I'm not voting for someone I want to hang out with. I'm voting based on what they'll do, or say they'll do, what they've done in politics and outside and to achieve a desired political goal.
    I wasn't expecting him to twat Simon Rimmer with a frying pan and scream '****' at him, its the bare minimum to come across as ok on a soft soap magazine show
    I've pretty much given upon them. They're reproducing the Blair playbook but it's not the 1990s and the problems aren't the same. We've been running off debt since 2008, made worse by Covid, and that won't work any more. Consider two problems: the die-off of the Boomers over the next 15 years, and the increasing bankruptcy of British cities. Everything I have heard from Labour on this is either irrelevant or (given Streeting's talking hard to the NHS) will actually make things worse. The two major parties are doing Potemkin politics...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,867
    edited May 20
    viewcode said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1792556360913072303?t=GcIWJW7GMGaD_KQIZRLfZg&s=19

Sir Keir popped up on Sunday Brunch on the telly yesterday. Just came across as a genuine, nice bloke. No idea why he gets the opprobrium he gets on PB. Worth a watch.
    I never understand this 'he comes across as a nice bloke' stuff. I'm not voting for someone I want to hang out with. I'm voting based on what they'll do, or say they'll do, what they've done in politics and outside and to achieve a desired political goal.
    I wasn't expecting him to twat Simon Rimmer with a frying pan and scream '****' at him, its the bare minimum to come across as ok on a soft soap magazine show
    I've pretty much given upon them. They're reproducing the Blair playbook but it's not the 1990s and the problems aren't the same. We've been running off debt since 2008, made worse by Covid, and that won't work any more. Consider two problems: the die-off of the Boomers over the next 15 years, and the increasing bankruptcy of British cities. Everything I have heard from Labour on this is either irrelevant or (given Streeting's talking hard to the NHS) will actually make things worse. The two major parties are doing Potemkin politics...
    Without going all SeanT, we also have a major problem with long term low productivity and growth, combined with much more powerful China and (throws hand grenade) rise of AI. We have imported very large numbers of people to do all lower end / manual jobs, while not grown the middle and higher end to any great extent, and AI is, if nothing else, going to seriously disrupt the lower end of the white collar job market.

I don't hear any real plan from anybody on what to do. And unlike the US, we can't just turn the money print to max, as we found with Liz Truss, if you have radically uncosted ideas, the market won't accept it.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 8,235
    viewcode said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

It's utterly depressing. Continuity awful set to triumph
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,440

viewcode said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Without going all SeanT, we also have a major problem with low term low productivity and growth, combined with much more powerful China and (throws hand grenade) rise of AI.
    But apart from that, we're fine!... :(:(:(
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,459
    viewcode said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

Ah, but if we cut taxes and increase spending - a la Ms Truss - we'll be fine.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,704
    I do not express to be an expert on this or the post office scandals and I am grateful for all the insightful posts and commentary on here, which has been excellent (and troubling) reading.

We do seem to have a deep seated problem in this country of institutional accountability. Starmer could do worse than to take aim at this in the Labour manifesto, and promise more safeguards, faster justice and more accountability of leaders.
  • Options
    edited May 20

megasaur said:

carnforth said:

"British engineering giant Arup revealed as $25 million deepfake scam victim":

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/16/tech/arup-deepfake-scam-loss-hong-kong-intl-hnk/index.html

"Hong Kong police said in February that during the elaborate scam the employee, a finance worker, was duped into attending a video call with people he believed were the chief financial officer and other members of staff, but all of whom turned out to be deepfake re-creations. The authorities did not name the company or parties involved at the time."

Eeriest and spookiest AI story so far. Esp as it's running in parallel with a lot of presumably meat PBers talking about zoom calls.

I don't see how digital proof of authority or ownership continues. My bank makes me record a video if it thinks I am being scammed, but how will that help? Buy physical gold. Bury it at home. Never go away in case a bot persuaded the Land Registry that you have sold.
    There was that recent story about the massive number of fake ecommerce websites recently too. Does make you wonder whether the whole online world could simply suddenly collapse under a tsunami of fakery.
    A new scam doing the rounds in recent year or so, finding a legit company (perhaps that has recently gone out of business) e.g. selling cars. Set up a fake website that looks just like the old one with correct details etc, then take deposits online.
  • Options
    edited May 20

I do not express to be an expert on this or the post office scandals and I am grateful for all the insightful posts and commentary on here, which has been excellent (and troubling) reading.

We do seem to have a deep seated problem in this country of institutional accountability. Starmer could do worse than to take aim at this in the Labour manifesto, and promise more safeguards, faster justice and more accountability of leaders.

We have long had a problem with people failing upwards (or very least sideways) over the course of their career....We can all name a load of them and not just the past 10 years.

Most recently, Howard Davies comes to mind, everywhere he has been, there has been a scandal that he is closely linked to. But then he pops up again a few years later in a similar position of power at a different organisation as if nothing happened.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,735

We have long had a problem with people failing upwards (or very least sideways) over the course of their career....We can all name a load of them and not just the past 10 years.
    From Prime Ministers downwards….
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    NHS whistleblower persecution is the alarming one, because it's a second order injustice; you have its victims and all the victims of the things they were trying to blow the whistle about.

Also interestingly politically polarized, the Telegraph reports it avidly and the Guardian airbrushes it.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,520

I think this is all down to human nature, and you will see these sorts of scandals - and worse - in every country. The type and details will vary, but the underlying motivations to cheat the system and/or CYA are not unique to us.

British exceptionalism is often wrong; either when we see ourselves as uniquely better than others, or worse.

Having said that, both France and Germany had similar tainted blood scandals, and both were settled decades ago - in the German case, with prosecutions. I do wonder if the involvement of the NHS - apparently a national treasure - has been a factor in this hideous delay.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,401
    It's not that we didn't know.

I was taught at medical school in the Eighties about the dangers of pooled blood products (including factor VIII).

We weren't taught about the cover up though, that took place at a much higher level in the DOH and Blood Transfusion Service, a very different level to the front line chaos in maternity services up and down the land.

I think the maternity scandals come back to the often very poor relationships between medical staff and midwives, and that has been a problematic issue since the NCT and Wendy Savage etc.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,028
    Two questions arise, I think.

1. Why are people so defensive in this sort of situation?

2. What can we do to encourage a problem-solving, as opposed to face-saving reaction to problems being identified?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,942
    @TimesRadio
    Times Radio is delighted to announce Andrew Neil will be joining the Election Station in September to present a new, agenda-setting daily news programme covering the UK and US elections.

He is one of the UK's best-known and most-respected journalists and broadcasters, and his show will be unmissable.

Join
    @afneil
    on #TimesRadio from 1pm on Monday 9 September.
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio
    Times Radio is delighted to announce Andrew Neil will be joining the Election Station in September to present a new, agenda-setting daily news programme covering the UK and US elections.

He is one of the UK's best-known and most-respected journalists and broadcasters, and his show will be unmissable.

Join
    @afneil

Will he, like we where discussing on the last thread, be doing this as a hybrid job (from the South of France)?
  • Options
    AugustusCarp2AugustusCarp2 Posts: 201
    Scott_xP said:

@TimesRadio

Join
    @afneil

I have taken to listening to Times Radio on long car journeys (of which I have to make far too many these days). It's quite good, but suffice to say, if Andrew Neil is going to be on, then they've just lost a listener.
  • Options

megasaur said:

carnforth said:

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/05/16/tech/arup-deepfake-scam-loss-hong-kong-intl-hnk/index.html

"Hong Kong police said in February that during the elaborate scam the employee, a finance worker, was duped into attending a video call with people he believed were the chief financial officer and other members of staff, but all of whom turned out to be deepfake re-creations. The authorities did not name the company or parties involved at the time."

Eeriest and spookiest AI story so far. Esp as it's running in parallel with a lot of presumably meat PBers talking about zoom calls.

I don't see how digital proof of authority or ownership continues. My bank makes me record a video if it thinks I am being scammed, but how will that help? Buy physical gold. Bury it at home. Never go away in case a bot persuaded the Land Registry that you have sold.
    There was that recent story about the massive number of fake ecommerce websites recently too. Does make you wonder whether the whole online world could simply suddenly collapse under a tsunami of fakery.
    A new scam doing the rounds in recent year or so, finding a legit company (perhaps that has recently gone out of business) e.g. selling cars. Set up a fake website that looks just like the old one with correct details etc, then take deposits online.
    If quantum computing quietly breaks AES-256 encryption you won't have to scam deposits, you can simply empty the whole bank account, and deep fake the account holder if anyone rings up to check.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,316
    megasaur said:

megasaur said:

carnforth said:

If quantum computing quietly breaks AES-256 encryption you won't have to scam deposits, you can simply empty the whole bank account, and deep fake the account holder if anyone rings up to check.
    The scary thing will be if the Chinese get there first, they’re designing home-grown chips with the specific intention of cracking AES-256, and the West is doing their damndest to avoid selling them any equipment that might help in their manufacture.
  • Options
    Justice delayed, in the case of the blood scandal, means no justice at all for the many who have already died.
    And the passage of time probably precedes criminal consequences for some of the perpetrators.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/20/politicians-should-hang-their-heads-in-shame-over-uk-infected-blood-scandal
    The inquiry chair, Brian Langstaff, concluded in the report, published on Monday, that the infected blood scandal was avoidable and worsened by a government cover-up.

Clive Smith, the chair of the Haemophilia Society, said: “To our community that’s no surprise. We’ve known that for decades. Now the country knows, and the world as well.

..Citing the recent example of the Post Office Horizon IT scandal, as well as maternity scandals in hospitals, Smith said such scandals continued to happen in the UK because the recommendations of public inquiries were ignored. ”That must stop today,” he said.

The government’s plan to provide a detailed response on Tuesday suggested it was “engineering a political moment which many people will find offensive and will continue to compound suffering”.

Although it is not covered by the scope of the report, many victims want to see criminal charges brought against those involved in the scandal. As a criminal barrister, Smith thought this would be difficult.

“If there were to be charges of substance against people, the time sadly has gone for that, because doctors for example who were testing their patients for HIV and not telling them, who went on to infect their partners, they could and should have been prosecuted for gross negligence manslaughter,” he said.

But criminal prosecutions could also be levelled at those who covered up and removed medical records as this could represent the “systematic destruction of documents”, he added.

“I don’t think it’s too late, but I think the evidence needs to be reviewed and considered and if there is evidence then people do need to be prosecuted because sadly this report is landing today and I doubt there are many, if any, people at home thinking ‘I’m going to get a knock on the door from the police.’

“I’m afraid until people are actually concerned their actions will have consequences, we will not see the sort of institutional change Sir Brian has recommended today.”..
  • Options

2. What can we do to encourage a problem-solving, as opposed to face-saving reaction to problems being identified?

1. is interesting because the stakes are so comparatively small; people are not going to stop going to hospital or posting parcels so NHS trusts and Post Offices are relatively immune to reputational damage. So why are these non commercial institutions the worst offenders?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,648
    viewcode said:

FPT

Eabhal said:

It's the Blair playbook for winning an election but not necessarily for governing. Eg I do not expect it to be just more of the same. Of course I could be wrong (as with all crystal balling) but I'll be genuinely disappointed if that's the case. The evidence isn't there either way imo. We can see how Starmer is going about gaining power but we can't see (least not with any clarity) what he's going to do with it. I'm cautiously optimistic. I think we're going to see an innovative reforming government with people's best interests at heart. The country will not however be transformed - and this is good since only negative transformations are in the power of our elected domestic politicians.

On topic: thanks for the (as usual) good article, Cyclefree.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,296
    Foxy said:

It's not that we didn't know.

I was taught at medical school in the Eighties about the dangers of pooled blood products (including factor VIII).

We weren't taught about the cover up though, that took place at a much higher level in the DOH and Blood Transfusion Service, a very different level to the front line chaos in maternity services up and down the land.

I think the maternity scandals come back to the often very poor relationships between medical staff and midwives, and that has been a problematic issue since the NCT and Wendy Savage etc.

Trouble is, in this particular relationship, both sides are convinced they know best!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

I have thought about this and wrote about this here - https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/the-price-of-indifference/ in December 2021.See the bits in bold in particular.

"There is the indifference which can be one of the causes of a problem. But what is often worse is the indifference shown to victims after problems have arisen. It is hard to understand the callousness of some decisions. Perhaps it is made easier by forgetting or ignoring those who are affected. And, of course, there are often legal and other reasons for doing what can seem cold or cruel.

What should happen?

After something goes badly wrong, there is one question which should be asked by those on whose watch this happened: what is the goal? If it is to protect the institution at all costs (what is usually done), all can be justified. But if it is to solve the problem (what should be done but often isn’t) — to learn important lessons, provide some element of restitution to those suffering harm — then forgetting or minimising the human element is disastrous.

People who have suffered want two things above all: to be heard and justice — not simply justice for the perpetrators — but the acknowledgement of the truth of what happened and why. Ignoring this makes them more determined not less. Take the Aberfan parents: they wanted it recorded that their children had been killed by the National Coal Board. They did not get this, despite the findings of the official inquiry. By contrast, the Hillsborough families fought for years to get a verdict of unlawful killing. It mattered that what happened was not simply written off as an accident, but a consequence of actions and decisions by human beings which could and should have been different. And which would be different in future if the truth was understood and acted on.

It feels like indifference to those on the receiving end. But perhaps its impulse is less the effect on the victims but more a desire to save face by those responsible. The truth about what happened was important to the families. It mattered that this was publicly acknowledged. But this public acknowledgement is something the authorities find hard to accept or admit. (The paradox is that the later it is said the more victims will want something else — compensation or prosecutions — as a substitute.) It is not just concerns about having to pay compensation which drives this, important as it is. It harms an institution’s self-image and, often, of senior people within it. “We got it wrong.” is hard to say. If “we get it wrong” what sort of a “we” are we, really? Avoiding the shame of having to admit that your actions or inactions have been responsible for the suffering of others is what drives this defensiveness and indifference."

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

I have thought about this and wrote about this here - https://www.cyclefree.co.uk/the-price-of-indifference/ in December 2021.See the bits in bold in particular.

"There is the indifference which can be one of the causes of a problem. But what is often worse is the indifference shown to victims after problems have arisen. It is hard to understand the callousness of some decisions. Perhaps it is made easier by forgetting or ignoring those who are affected. And, of course, there are often legal and other reasons for doing what can seem cold or cruel.

What should happen?

After something goes badly wrong, there is one question which should be asked by those on whose watch this happened: what is the goal? If it is to protect the institution at all costs (what is usually done), all can be justified. But if it is to solve the problem (what should be done but often isn’t) — to learn important lessons, provide some element of restitution to those suffering harm — then forgetting or minimising the human element is disastrous.

People who have suffered want two things above all: to be heard and justice — not simply justice for the perpetrators — but the acknowledgement of the truth of what happened and why. Ignoring this makes them more determined not less. Take the Aberfan parents: they wanted it recorded that their children had been killed by the National Coal Board. They did not get this, despite the findings of the official inquiry. By contrast, the Hillsborough families fought for years to get a verdict of unlawful killing. It mattered that what happened was not simply written off as an accident, but a consequence of actions and decisions by human beings which could and should have been different. And which would be different in future if the truth was understood and acted on.

It feels like indifference to those on the receiving end. But perhaps its impulse is less the effect on the victims but more a desire to save face by those responsible. The truth about what happened was important to the families. It mattered that this was publicly acknowledged. But this public acknowledgement is something the authorities find hard to accept or admit. (The paradox is that the later it is said the more victims will want something else — compensation or prosecutions — as a substitute.) It is not just concerns about having to pay compensation which drives this, important as it is. It harms an institution’s self-image and, often, of senior people within it. “We got it wrong.” is hard to say. If “we get it wrong” what sort of a “we” are we, really? Avoiding the shame of having to admit that your actions or inactions have been responsible for the suffering of others is what drives this defensiveness and indifference."

People are unwilling to admit to mistakes. They do not realise that it is how you deal with your mistakes which shows character and earns a good reputation. We have praised the appearance of goodness rather than the reality of our actions. If you want to be religious, we have a society which is the Pharisees loudly proclaiming their costume when we ought to be the poor widow quietly helping the poor rather than boasting.

And too many of the gatekeepers fail to get this too. Lawyers included. See, once again, the Post Office.
  • Options

I think this is all down to human nature, and you will see these sorts of scandals - and worse - in every country. The type and details will vary, but the underlying motivations to cheat the system and/or CYA are not unique to us.

British exceptionalism is often wrong; either when we see ourselves as uniquely better than others, or worse.

Having said that, both France and Germany had similar tainted blood scandals, and both were settled decades ago - in the German case, with prosecutions. I do wonder if the involvement of the NHS - apparently a national treasure - has been a factor in this hideous delay.
    For a full account, you'd have to read the entire report, which is massive:
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/20/read-the-infected-blood-inquiry-report-in-full
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,028
    megasaur said:

1. is interesting because the stakes are so comparatively small; people are not going to stop going to hospital or posting parcels so NHS trusts and Post Offices are relatively immune to reputational damage. So why are these non commercial institutions the worst offenders?
    I don't think that they're necessarily worse offenders than private companies, but the worst offenders in the private sector will tend to go out of business and be replaced.

I think one factor is that any public-facing organisation will receive a lot of criticism, some more warranted than others. It can become habitual to bat away criticism without examining whether it is justified before doing so.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,242
    Nigelb said:

Justice delayed, in the case of the blood scandal, means no justice at all for the many who have already died.
    And the passage of time probably precedes criminal consequences for some of the perpetrators.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/20/politicians-should-hang-their-heads-in-shame-over-uk-infected-blood-scandal
    The inquiry chair, Brian Langstaff, concluded in the report, published on Monday, that the infected blood scandal was avoidable and worsened by a government cover-up.

Clive Smith, the chair of the Haemophilia Society, said: “To our community that’s no surprise. We’ve known that for decades. Now the country knows, and the world as well.

..Citing the recent example of the Post Office Horizon IT scandal, as well as maternity scandals in hospitals, Smith said such scandals continued to happen in the UK because the recommendations of public inquiries were ignored. ”That must stop today,” he said.

The government’s plan to provide a detailed response on Tuesday suggested it was “engineering a political moment which many people will find offensive and will continue to compound suffering”.

Although it is not covered by the scope of the report, many victims want to see criminal charges brought against those involved in the scandal. As a criminal barrister, Smith thought this would be difficult.

“If there were to be charges of substance against people, the time sadly has gone for that, because doctors for example who were testing their patients for HIV and not telling them, who went on to infect their partners, they could and should have been prosecuted for gross negligence manslaughter,” he said.

But criminal prosecutions could also be levelled at those who covered up and removed medical records as this could represent the “systematic destruction of documents”, he added.

“I don’t think it’s too late, but I think the evidence needs to be reviewed and considered and if there is evidence then people do need to be prosecuted because sadly this report is landing today and I doubt there are many, if any, people at home thinking ‘I’m going to get a knock on the door from the police.’

“I’m afraid until people are actually concerned their actions will have consequences, we will not see the sort of institutional change Sir Brian has recommended today.”..

“until people are actually concerned their actions will have consequences”

#NU10K
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,459

megasaur said:

I don't think that they're necessarily worse offenders than private companies, but the worst offenders in the private sector will tend to go out of business and be replaced.

I think one factor is that any public-facing organisation will receive a lot of criticism, some more warranted than others. It can become habitual to bat away criticism without examining whether it is justified before doing so.
    Exhibit 1223232181, the reaction of any US police force to allegations of misconduct
  • Options

The answer to your second question is to sack brand management companies and get in people who see it as their job to find out the truth and solve the problem properly. Do not get in the sorts of lawyers who think it a wonderful excuse to do all sorts of complicated lawyerly things, witter on about privilege and never ask a decent question, of which there are far too many.
  • Options
    @RedfieldWilton
    Labour leads by 22%.

10th consecutive week with a Labour lead of 20% or more.

Westminster Voting Intention (19 May):

Labour 45% (+3)
    Conservative 23% (+2)
    Reform UK 12% (-3)
    Lib Dem 10% (-2)
    Green 5% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 12 May
  • Options
    edited May 20

My proposal for justice and accountability

IMG-1850
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,689
    In case anyone hasn't seen this yet.

"Post Office lawyer who oversaw Alan Bates case refusing to co-operate with inquiry
    It is understood that Jane MacLeod is living in New Zealand and the inquiry cannot compel her to give evidence while she is abroad"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/17/post-office-lawyer-who-oversaw-bates-case-wont-co-operate/
  • Options
    In other news, the MV Dali has now been moved away from its position as a demolition charge, back to a berth in Baltimore near where it started its journey.

I wonder whether this will be, mile for mile, the most expensive ship journey ever?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

The answer to your second question is to sack brand management companies and get in people who see it as their job to find out the truth and solve the problem properly. Do not get in the sorts of lawyers who think it a wonderful excuse to do all sorts of complicated lawyerly things, witter on about privilege and never ask a decent question, of which there are far too many.
    I have found one constant, all my life, across many disciplines.

The true master of a domain will be happy to explain in simple English, to an outsider.

Obfuscation and obscure terminology are for the mediocre.
  • Options

In other news, the MV Dali has now been moved away from its position as a demolition charge, back to a berth in Baltimore near where it started its journey.

I wonder whether this will be, mile for mile, the most expensive ship journey ever?

Maybe, but did some sailing ships not sink yards into their voyages with millions* on board?

*in todays' money
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

megasaur said:

megasaur said:

carnforth said:

The scary thing will be if the Chinese get there first, they’re designing home-grown chips with the specific intention of cracking AES-256, and the West is doing their damndest to avoid selling them any equipment that might help in their manufacture.
    I'm beginning to wonder why "physical gold and shotgun ammo" is regarded as joke investment advice.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,014
    As some had been predicting:

'By insisting on waiting for the inquiry to conclude before making a final decision on redress, Rishi Sunak had "perpetuated the injustice", Sir Brian said.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-69025640

Is it likely that he'll be announcing a compensation scheme in today's statement in the HoC?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

What should happen?

People are unwilling to admit to mistakes. They do not realise that it is how you deal with your mistakes which shows character and earns a good reputation. We have praised the appearance of goodness rather than the reality of our actions. If you want to be religious, we have a society which is the Pharisees loudly proclaiming their costume when we ought to be the poor widow quietly helping the poor rather than boasting.

And too many of the gatekeepers fail to get this too. Lawyers included. See, once again, the Post Office.
    Mark Twain summed up this very issue, thus-

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/1213/1213-h/1213-h.htm
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,194
    edited May 20
    rcs1000 said:

megasaur said:

Exhibit 1223232181, the reaction of any US police force to allegations of misconduct
    One aspect of the USA police forces are legal concepts which hold police officers are not to be held responsible for their actions in the course of duty - or words to that effect.

Called "Qualified Immunity." Not a subject I know in a lot of detail, and I suggest that certain practices here - such as officers avoiding responsibility by retiring, are on the same spectrum. IIRC we have had at least *some* reform of that.

In the UK I've seen a number of very strange outcomes of offences which feel fishy at the least. Because of my interests I see these occasionally in cases around motoring law.

The doctrine of qualified immunity allows state and local officials to avoid personal consequences related to their professional interactions unless they violate “clearly established law” and has been repeatedly used by police officers to escape accountability and civil liability for engaging in violent and abusive acts against the public. In practice, this often means that, unless there’s a case with nearly identical facts on the record, these officials can violate a person’s rights without being held personally responsible for their actions.
    https://www.naacpldf.org/qualified-immunity/
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,455
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Labour leads by 22%.

Labour 45% (+3)
    Conservative 23% (+2)
    Reform UK 12% (-3)
    Lib Dem 10% (-2)
    Green 5% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 12 May

RAYNER
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

As some had been predicting:

'By insisting on waiting for the inquiry to conclude before making a final decision on redress, Rishi Sunak had "perpetuated the injustice", Sir Brian said.'
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-69025640

Is it likely that he'll be announcing a compensation scheme in today's statement in the HoC?

There was an interim recommendation a year ago.

Events transpiring not necessarily to the advantage of Sunak's wait and see policy, on this and on election dates
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,011
    Cyclefree said:

v

megasaur said:

They see themselves as special and unchallengeable and doing good. So how dare anyone criticise them?

The stupid hero worship of the NHS, for instance, has not helped.
    Also suffers from the "too big to fail" problem. And once you start the cover up, you also end up having to cover the cover-up up, until it's cover-ups all the way down.
  • Options
    megasaur said:

Events transpiring not necessarily to the advantage of Sunak's wait and see policy, on this and on election dates

The best day for him to call it was yesterday.
  • Options

And once you start the cover up, you also end up having to cover the cover-up up, until it's cover-ups all the way down.

Ask Trump...
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,322

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Labour leads by 22%.

Labour 45% (+3)
    Conservative 23% (+2)
    Reform UK 12% (-3)
    Lib Dem 10% (-2)
    Green 5% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 12 May

RAYNER
    NATALIE
  • Options
    @RedfieldWilton
    Starmer leads Sunak by 14%.

At this moment, which of the following do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (19 May)

Keir Starmer 44% (+4)
    Rishi Sunak 30% (+2)

Changes +/- 12 May
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

v

megasaur said:

They see themselves as special and unchallengeable and doing good. So how dare anyone criticise them?

I'm not sure how much that was a contributory factor, in this case.
    It's not mentioned in the report's five page summary of the causes of so many being unnecessarily infected by blood products, and the failure to address that.
    Though you could of course infer it.

From the summary at the head of the report:

The chapters that follow make clear who is responsible for each of these failings, though in general I can say that responsibility for much lies with successive governments, even though others may share some of it.

...I have no doubt however that, despite the difficulties of time and scale, the conclusion that wrongs were done on individual, collective and systemic levels is fully justified by the pages that follow; that a level of suffering which it is difficult to comprehend, still less understand, has been caused to so many, and that this harm has, for those who survived long enough to face it and for those who, infected and affected, are now able to read this, been compounded by the reaction of the government, NHS bodies, other public bodies, the medical professions and others as described in the Report.
  • Options
    @BethRigby

SUNAK: This is a moment of shame for the British state.

@henrymance

He's going to have to be more specific
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/20/read-the-infected-blood-inquiry-report-in-full
    The executive summary and recommendations, is 295 pages!
  • Options
    @RedfieldWilton

Starmer vs Sunak (19 May):

Starmer leads Sunak by a fair margin on ALL 17 leadership characteristics polled, including:

Represents change (48% | 23%)
    Can work well with foreign leaders (44% | 31%)
    Cares about people like me (45% | 23%)
    Can build a strong economy (43% | 31%)
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,679
    WASPI women scandal (no compensation paid)
    Post Office scandal (very little compensation yet paid)
    Windrush scandal (much compensation still to pay)
    Blood scandal (no compensation paid)

There's a pattern Sunak.
  • Options
    Worst kept secret in football....

Feyenoord boss Arne Slot has been confirmed as Liverpool's new manager.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,029
    Appalling.

Thanks @Cyclefree for a nice summary of institutional failure.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,142

There's a pattern Sunak.

Three of the four will get compensation though, surely? And there have already been interim payments on the last.
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

The executive summary and recommendations, is 295 pages!
    Yes; that is a measure of the size, and wide extent, and persistence of the failings.

These are the events of five decades, and involve both government and large parts of the NHS. And the report seems to describe failings throughout that entire time.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,638

There's a pattern Sunak.

"Were you missold a Conservative government in 2019? You could be in line for a payout of up to £10,000. To claim, please put your cross next to the Conservative party in the upcoming election."
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,029
    Impressive from Sunak.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 15,011
    A chilling vignette from the LRB coverage of the scandal;

What was going on in the minds of the executives at these companies? In the Panalba Role-Playing Case Study, developed at the University of Pennsylvania and based on the real case of the drug Panalba, groups are asked to role-play as executives in a pharmaceutical company, one of whose star drugs has been found to be causing deaths. They are given a range of options, from recalling the drug to continuing to produce and market it until it’s banned. Almost every group that has ever participated has decided to keep selling. The roles they play override the participants’ personal morality, even though – unlike real-life executives – they aren’t in line for any financial rewards.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v45/n22/florence-sutcliffe-braithwaite/we-ve-messed-up-boys
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

v

megasaur said:

I'm not sure how much that was a contributory factor, in this case.
    It's not mentioned in the report's five page summary of the causes of so many being unnecessarily infected by blood products, and the failure to address that.
    Though you could of course infer it.

From the summary at the head of the report:

The chapters that follow make clear who is responsible for each of these failings, though in general I can say that responsibility for much lies with successive governments, even though others may share some of it.

...I have no doubt however that, despite the difficulties of time and scale, the conclusion that wrongs were done on individual, collective and systemic levels is fully justified by the pages that follow; that a level of suffering which it is difficult to comprehend, still less understand, has been caused to so many, and that this harm has, for those who survived long enough to face it and for those who, infected and affected, are now able to read this, been compounded by the reaction of the government, NHS bodies, other public bodies, the medical professions and others as described in the Report.
    Six particular themes are prominent.

The first is the failure to make patient safety the paramount focus of decision-making and of action – whether it be decisions by individual clinicians, haemophilia centres or hospitals, or decisions taken at a regional level by transfusion centres, or decisions taken at a national level by governments.

The second theme is the slow and protracted nature of much of the decision-making examined in this Report: by way of example, the length of time taken for haemophilia centres to adapt treatment policies and practices, or the length of time taken by clinicians and NHS organisations to recognise the need for better transfusion practice, or the delays with regard to AIDS donor leaflets, or the delayed decision-making by government regarding the introduction of Hepatitis C screening of blood donations and the delay in deciding to undertake a lookback.

The third is the profoundly unethical lack of respect for individual patient autonomy, which will be most starkly apparent to readers from the chapters on People’s Experiences and Treloar’s and from parts of the chapters on Haemophilia Centres: Policies and Practice and Blood Transfusion: Clinical Practice.

The fourth theme, closely related to the third, speaks of the dangers of clinical freedom. Clinical freedom is the idea that doctors should be free to do what they believe to be right for an individual patient. But the danger of clinical freedom in the context of infected blood and blood products is that it allowed doctors to follow unsafe treatment policies and practices (such as administering commercial factor concentrates to young children, or giving unnecessary transfusions to postpartum women), and it meant that others (in particular the health departments and Chief Medical Officers) held back from providing advice, guidance or information in the misguided belief that this would interfere with clinical freedom.

The fifth theme is that of institutional defensiveness, from the NHS and in particular from government, compounded by groupthink amongst civil servants and ministers, and a lack of transparency and candour. These factors drove the response of government over the decades.

The institutional defensiveness identified above is damaging to the public interest. But the sixth principal theme that emerges from this Report is the damage that was done by that defensiveness and the accompanying lack of transparency and candour to the very people whose lives had been destroyed by infection. The harms already done to them were compounded by the refusal to accept responsibility and offer accountability, the refusal to give the answers that people fervently sought, the refusal to provide compensation, leaving people struggling and in desperate circumstances, the thoughtless repetition of unjustified and misleading lines to take, and the lack of any real recognition and of any meaningful apology...
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Scott_xP said:

Maybe, but did some sailing ships not sink yards into their voyages with millions* on board?

*in todays' money
    A little known fact about the Titanic was that much of its construction, capabilities, operation and crewing was in response to previous disasters and scandals in the shipping world.

For example it was deliberately *under insured* - that is, White Star carried a big chunk of liability themselves. This was in reaction to the scandals involving over insuring ships that then conveniently* sinking them.

*somewhat inconvenient to the crew and passengers of said ships. But very few complaints registered after the fact. So there’s that.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

*in todays' money
    A little known fact about the Titanic was that much of its construction, capabilities, operation and crewing was in response to previous disasters and scandals in the shipping world.

For example it was deliberately *under insured* - that is, White Star carried a big chunk of liability themselves. This was in reaction to the scandals involving over insuring ships that then conveniently* sinking them.

*somewhat inconvenient to the crew and passengers if said ships. But very few complaints registered after the fact. So there’s that.
    You did it to cargo ships because crew make much less fuss about being drowned. Plimsoll lines were a response to it. It still happens.
  • Options

Similar - but Germany at least appears to have been less reckless.

..In Germany, from 1965 onwards, all blood donated for possible transfusion was tested to see if it contained abnormally high levels of a liver enzyme, alanine transaminase (“ALT”). This increased the protection..
    ..The UK never adopted ALT screening...

...It began to be apparent as soon as 1972 that despite the introduction of testing for Hepatitis B there was still a significant risk of post-transfusion hepatitis. It was increasingly reported that hepatitis was occurring after transfusion, yet when tested the patient was suffering neither from Hepatitis A nor Hepatitis B. Of particular note was the report by Dr Alfred Prince and others in The Lancet in August 1974 that an agent other than Hepatitis B (which became known as non-A non-B Hepatitis (“NANBH”)) was the cause of 71% of cases of post-transfusion hepatitis; this article warned of the possibility that “non-B hepatitis may play a role in the aetiology of some forms of chronic liver disease.” The Lancet was one of the most widely-read journals by clinicians in the UK: no clinician dealing with transfusions had any reason to be unaware of this conclusion.

..And by September 1980 Dr Diana Walford of the DHSS was confident enough to write a memo saying: “I must emphasise that 90% of all post-transfusion (and blood-product infusion) hepatitis in the USA and elsewhere is caused by non-A non-B hepatitis viruses which (unlike hepatitis B) cannot, at present, be detected by testing donor blood. This form of hepatitis can be rapidly fatal ... or can lead to progressive liver damage. It can also result in a chronic carrier state, thus increasing the ‘pool’ of these viruses in the community.”
    By the very start of the 1980s, therefore, it was clear that hepatitis caused by a blood transfusion, or treatment with a blood product, carried with it a serious risk of long-term consequences, and it was known that this could not be linked simply to Hepatitis B infection...
  • Options
    megasaur said:

Scott_xP said:

*in todays' money

*somewhat inconvenient to the crew and passengers if said ships. But very few complaints registered after the fact. So there’s that.
    You did it to cargo ships because crew make much less fuss about being drowned. Plimsoll lines were a response to it. It still happens.
    When I worked in the oil business, I had a fair bit to do with tanker captains.

Their stories of death traps owned by other companies were illuminating.

They loved LNG - because the consequences of LNG are in the kilotons, the ships were properly maintained and crewed.

And when you announced on the radio at a strait or similar choke point that you were an LNG ship, the way the usual dozy watch officers would get their ships out of the way… apparently watching a beautiful, wide, clear channel opening up on the radar screen was a sight…
  • Options

A chilling vignette from the LRB coverage of the scandal;

What was going on in the minds of the executives at these companies? In the Panalba Role-Playing Case Study, developed at the University of Pennsylvania and based on the real case of the drug Panalba, groups are asked to role-play as executives in a pharmaceutical company, one of whose star drugs has been found to be causing deaths. They are given a range of options, from recalling the drug to continuing to produce and market it until it’s banned. Almost every group that has ever participated has decided to keep selling. The roles they play override the participants’ personal morality, even though – unlike real-life executives – they aren’t in line for any financial rewards.

https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v45/n22/florence-sutcliffe-braithwaite/we-ve-messed-up-boys

It’s a modern version of the Milgram Experiment.

See also the earlier discussion of pilots being able to be put under sufficient pressure to ignore all of their training about severe weather, in order to attempt to operate their charter or VIP flight - often at the cost of their own lives.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,780
    A typically good article by @Cyclefree but it does make you despair.
    Why do we, as a country, find it so hard to say “sorry “ ? Why do people not accept responsibility for their actions? And why oh why do we never hold those so failing to account, if only to make fessing up and sorting a rational response?

Sigh.
  • Options
    What is missing is any comment on the irony of a report five years in the making, criticizing the "slow and protracted nature" of anything else. This is the fundamental vice of the English legal system, that it thinks the longer drawn out the better. The Commercial Court in London loves to list trials for 30 weeks, with 3.5 million pages of documentation in neat little bundles. The equivalent Court in Paris will set aside a whole morning for the same case. "A thorough exploration of the issues" is the watchword and any knock on effects arising because the professionals involved charge by the day or hour are irrelevant. This really ought to stop; there must be a point where alleged marginal gains arising out of thoroughness are outweighed by delay and expense.

Any lawyer involved who was instructed five years ago, will have understood the bare bones of what happened and why four years and 50 weeks ago. The rest is theatrics.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,803

There's a pattern Sunak.

Why the hell should the WASPI women get a penny.

https://x.com/frances_coppola/status/1790353069907075416?s=61
  • Options

megasaur said:

Scott_xP said:

*in todays' money

They loved LNG - because the consequences of LNG are in the kilotons, the ships were properly maintained and crewed.

And when you announced on the radio at a strait or similar choke point that you were an LNG ship, the way the usual dozy watch officers would get their ships out of the way… apparently watching a beautiful, wide, clear channel opening up on the radar screen was a sight…
    I love the stark beauty of the message conveyed by the J flag: "I am on fire and have dangerous cargo; keep clear".
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,331
    Credit where due, Sunak delivered that report very well.

Yet another establishment failure though.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,850

Dali? Most surreal journey, surely!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,780
    megasaur said:

What is missing is any comment on the irony of a report five years in the making, criticizing the "slow and protracted nature" of anything else. This is the fundamental vice of the English legal system, that it thinks the longer drawn out the better. The Commercial Court in London loves to list trials for 30 weeks, with 3.5 million pages of documentation in neat little bundles. The equivalent Court in Paris will set aside a whole morning for the same case. "A thorough exploration of the issues" is the watchword and any knock on effects arising because the professionals involved charge by the day or hour are irrelevant. This really ought to stop; there must be a point where alleged marginal gains arising out of thoroughness are outweighed by delay and expense.

Any lawyer involved who was instructed five years ago, will have understood the bare bones of what happened and why four years and 50 weeks ago. The rest is theatrics.

We are far too cautious about blaming anyone without exhaustive rights to be heard and appeal.

We are far too focused on making sure that we haven’t missed anything instead of focusing on the main point.

We are utterly useless at pricing the consequences of delay.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Labour leads by 22%.

Labour 45% (+3)
    Conservative 23% (+2)
    Reform UK 12% (-3)
    Lib Dem 10% (-2)
    Green 5% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 12 May

Broken, sleazy Reform, LibDems, Greens and SNP on the slide!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,803
  • Options

It’s long been said, that senior politicians are really good at making apologies for things that they had nothing to do with, yet somewhat more reticent to admit their own failures.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It’s long been said, that senior politicians are really good at making apologies for things that they had nothing to do with, yet somewhat more reticent to admit their own failures.
    Again, isn't that just human nature, "It was a failing, but not *my* failing!"

Having said that, an apology for an institution's failures is still valuable.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

There's a pattern Sunak.

Why the hell should the WASPI women get a penny.

https://x.com/frances_coppola/status/1790353069907075416?s=61
    They wanted equality, they got it.
    But the men have got f'all equality. And if we did, the country would be bankrupt...
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@RedfieldWilton
    Labour leads by 22%.

Labour 45% (+3)
    Conservative 23% (+2)
    Reform UK 12% (-3)
    Lib Dem 10% (-2)
    Green 5% (-1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 12 May

RAYNER
    RACHEL
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

v

megasaur said:

Reading further, a precipitating factor was the jealously guarded clinical independence of doctors.
    This, in response to the then developing understanding of AIDS:

..In 1982 the DHSS published a report making recommendations as to the role of RTCs in promoting good practice in blood transfusion, including “economies in blood usage”. A circular issued by the DHSS in 1983 recommended regular meetings between RTCs and hospital consultants to consider such matters. Similar recommendations were produced by SNBTS. In practice the extent to which individual RTDs played a role in educating clinical colleagues on the use of blood varied from centre to centre and over time. One of the obvious steps that treating clinicians could (and should) have taken once it was understood that HIV was a blood-borne infection, was to reduce all patients’ exposure to blood and blood products as far as reasonably practicable. However, RTDs did not, on the whole, consider that they had a role in trying to influence treating clinicians to prescribe one product over another on the grounds of safety. The principal reason for this was respect for the clinical freedom of doctors.

All RTC directors (for England, Wales and Northern Ireland) who were in post in the years 1982-1984 before blood products were heat treated against HIV gave evidence that if they had been asked to increase their production of cryoprecipitate (a much lower-risk product) during the mid 1980s, they would have been able to do so, and quickly. They were all clear that no such request was made of them by treating clinicians and so no steps were taken to achieve this. In Scotland Professor Cash emphasised the role of cryoprecipitate and raised concerns about the purchase of commercial products and Dr Brian McClelland produced a paper which suggested reassessing the role of single-donor or small pool cryoprecipitate. However the extent to which these actions influenced the prescribing practices of haemophilia clinicians in Scotland is doubtful...
  • Options
    Rishi now polling lower than Liz:

• Options

megasaur said:

Scott_xP said:

*in todays' money

I don't know if I've said this before, but a grand-uncle of mine was a captain. AIUI, he was one of the last captains who had been routinely trained to command sail, steam and diesel boats. He never once had a significant incident in many decades of service.

The year he retired, his family took him on a canal boat trip. He promptly ran the narrowboat aground and got it stuck.

(He's a grand old chap, and still going strong. He lives a short walk from the sea to this day.)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,208
    It wouldn't happen in the 2020s, would it? But I remember the complaints about risk and efficacy from older people who were being given the Oxford vaccine (now withdrawn from market).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

megasaur said:

We are far too cautious about blaming anyone without exhaustive rights to be heard and appeal.

We are far too focused on making sure that we haven’t missed anything instead of focusing on the main point.

We are utterly useless at pricing the consequences of delay.
    I will come to those points later if I may, m'lud, but in the meantime I would suggest this might be a convenient time to break for lunch.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,523
    I've just received a letter from the Trustees and Headmaster of my local indepeneent school this evening. It will be closing from September this year. The charity is no longer viable. It's been in the community for 86 years. We're in shock, along with all the other parents and families, but it's the staff I really feel for many of whom have worked there for decades.

Thanks Labour.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,401

I've just received a letter from the Trustees and Headmaster of my local indepeneent school this evening. It will be closing from September this year. The charity is no longer viable. It's been in the community for 86 years. We're in shock, along with all the other parents and families, but it's the staff I really feel for many of whom have worked there for decades.

Thanks Labour.

PM Starmer has a lot to answer for. Chuck him out!
  • Options

megasaur said:

Scott_xP said:

*in todays' money

I don't know if I've said this before, but a grand-uncle of mine was a captain. AIUI, he was one of the last captains who had been routinely trained to command sail, steam and diesel boats. He never once had a significant incident in many decades of service.

The year he retired, his family took him on a canal boat trip. He promptly ran the narrowboat aground and got it stuck.

(He's a grand old chap, and still going strong. He lives a short walk from the sea to this day.)
    All the great captains had some interesting moments.

One LNG captain told me of the time a docking went slightly wrong. Fortunately the hull worked as designed. As a crumple zone. It ended up inches away from the cryotank - fortunately the engineers had avoid the ramming effect - collapsing structure pushes a beam through the next watertight compartment.
  • Options
    edited May 20
    megasaur said:

One reason why these inquiries take so bloody long is because there is such resistance for so long to admitting there is a problem. If action had been taken right at the start not only would the problem have been very very much smaller but resolving it would have been quicker.

Ditto with the PO - the PO was told in 2001 of the problems which were set out in a judgment in 2019. The Chair was told in a letter in 2003. Over a decade was wasted denying the problems, let alone putting them right and instead making them very much worse. So there is more to find out: not just about the problems but the responses and the cover up.

Crises never start out as big problems. But as small ones which are ignored.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,735

Thanks Labour.

A handy excuse, and they aren’t waiting until it happens, in case it doesn’t.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Thanks Labour.

A handy excuse, and they aren’t waiting until it happens, in case it doesn’t.
    There's probably some truth in it; or at least the fear will be one factor in the decision. I doubt it's the whole story though.

The race to the bottom continues.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,917

Cyclefree said:

I have found one constant, all my life, across many disciplines.

The true master of a domain will be happy to explain in simple English, to an outsider.

Obfuscation and obscure terminology are for the mediocre.
    'Everything that can be thought at all can be thought clearly. Everything that can be said can be said clearly.'

Wittgenstein in one of his more lucid moments.
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

v

megasaur said:

Reading further, a precipitating factor was the jealously guarded clinical independence of doctors.
    This, in response to the then developing understanding of AIDS:

..In 1982 the DHSS published a report making recommendations as to the role of RTCs in promoting good practice in blood transfusion, including “economies in blood usage”. A circular issued by the DHSS in 1983 recommended regular meetings between RTCs and hospital consultants to consider such matters. Similar recommendations were produced by SNBTS. In practice the extent to which individual RTDs played a role in educating clinical colleagues on the use of blood varied from centre to centre and over time. One of the obvious steps that treating clinicians could (and should) have taken once it was understood that HIV was a blood-borne infection, was to reduce all patients’ exposure to blood and blood products as far as reasonably practicable. However, RTDs did not, on the whole, consider that they had a role in trying to influence treating clinicians to prescribe one product over another on the grounds of safety. The principal reason for this was respect for the clinical freedom of doctors.

All RTC directors (for England, Wales and Northern Ireland) who were in post in the years 1982-1984 before blood products were heat treated against HIV gave evidence that if they had been asked to increase their production of cryoprecipitate (a much lower-risk product) during the mid 1980s, they would have been able to do so, and quickly. They were all clear that no such request was made of them by treating clinicians and so no steps were taken to achieve this. In Scotland Professor Cash emphasised the role of cryoprecipitate and raised concerns about the purchase of commercial products and Dr Brian McClelland produced a paper which suggested reassessing the role of single-donor or small pool cryoprecipitate. However the extent to which these actions influenced the prescribing practices of haemophilia clinicians in Scotland is doubtful...
    The Civil Service also placed far too much importance on clinical freedom:
    ..An internal DHSS meeting to consider AIDS took place on 3 June 1983, at which there was no discussion whatsoever of Dr Galbraith’s letter and paper, nor any discussion about any different approaches to the treatment of bleeding disorders. This reflected the departmental position that, having regard to the principle of clinical freedom, it was not the role of the DHSS to provide guidance or advice to clinicians. This was a short-sighted position for the DHSS to adopt and ultimately a dereliction of its responsibility to patients...

..In June 1983, the Council of Europe’s Committee of Ministers published a resolution which was addressed to the governments of member states. Its overarching recommendation was “to take all necessary steps and measures with respect to” AIDS. The first detailed recommendation was “to avoid wherever possible the use of coagulation factor products prepared from large plasma pools; this is especially important for those countries where self- sufficiency in the production of such products has not yet been achieved*”. The government took no steps in response to this recommendation.

The second recommendation was to tell clinicians and patients about the risks of treatment with blood and blood products and the possibilities of minimising the risks. The UK government took no steps in response to this recommendation. Dr Walford’s explanation was that this would not be a usual course of action for the DHSS...

*Which then described the UK.
  • Options

megasaur said:

Scott_xP said:

*in todays' money

All the great captains had some interesting moments.

One LNG captain told me of the time a docking went slightly wrong. Fortunately the hull worked as designed. As a crumple zone. It ended up inches away from the cryotank - fortunately the engineers had avoid the ramming effect - collapsing structure pushes a beam through the next watertight compartment.
    Oh, he has stories. :)
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,303

Thanks Labour.

Labour????