Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The National Theatre’s production “This House” – a taste of

124»

Comments

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Charles said:

We need to find a way of ending Trial by Social Media and the influence of the Social Justice Warriors who dominate certain parts of the interwebs.

Mob mentality is very damaging to debate at many levels of society - and the move to ban/curtail free speech because of perceived/imagined offense is very disturbing.

I don't know how to end it - but unless we find a way of restoring a sense of balance to the world, we are heading for a very unpleasant period.
    I think that when someone tries to promote their internet hate campaign on here, they should be immediately confronted. That would be a start.
    But some people - when confronted - start telling you to check your privilege or accusing you of oppressing them.

It makes rational debate very, very difficult.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,186
    Sean_F said:

Pending his appeal, Evans has been convicted of a serious sexual offence. There are plenty of jobs from which people with such convictions are barred, but footballer isn't one of them.

Still stupid off him and Sheffield to try and pretend nothing had happened, far better he should have tried to get a job in football elsewhere. Doing it that way was always going to end in tears for both of them, sheer arrogance or stupidity or both.
  • Options
    She was born in Great Yarmouth, the daughter of an Austrian father and Filipina mother, who gave her, she says, “an immigrant work ethic” as well as an early love of music. “My dad came over from Austria when he was seven,” she says, “and mum came in the 1960s. The mentality was: ‘We’re here to work.’ If I didn’t work a 16-hour day, I couldn’t look my aunties in the eye. You’ve got to remember many of them are cleaners. There are no silver spoons. We are a family of grafters.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/im-a-celebrity/11247621/Myleene-Klass-a-deadly-force-of-nature-pure-and-simple.html
  • Options

Evans was found guilty and the decision is..apparently..final The SNP lost the Indyref..and they now want another one..seems some things are more binding than others..

50.001% would have been binding for ever.......

Doddery is all over the place , lunch too much for him as he is now mixing rape cases and referendum votes up , what a prat.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

Pending his appeal, Evans has been convicted of a serious sexual offence. There are plenty of jobs from which people with such convictions are barred, but footballer isn't one of them.

Still stupid off him and Sheffield to try and pretend nothing had happened, far better he should have tried to get a job in football elsewhere. Doing it that way was always going to end in tears for both of them, sheer arrogance or stupidity or both.
    But he hasn't been trying to get a job. His union asked for him to be allowed to train professionally in order to regain his fitness.

He hasn't sought a new contract at this stage.

To claim otherwise is to misrepresent the situation for some reason....
  • Options

Charles said:

We need to find a way of ending Trial by Social Media and the influence of the Social Justice Warriors who dominate certain parts of the interwebs.

Mob mentality is very damaging to debate at many levels of society - and the move to ban/curtail free speech because of perceived/imagined offense is very disturbing.

I don't know how to end it - but unless we find a way of restoring a sense of balance to the world, we are heading for a very unpleasant period.
    I think that when someone tries to promote their internet hate campaign on here, they should be immediately confronted. That would be a start.
    But some people - when confronted - start telling you to check your privilege or accusing you of oppressing them.

So we now to only be allowed to debate topics that old two names thinks are right and proper. When you planning to start burning the books JJ. You would not know free speech if you tripped over it.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012

MG.. so someone who was raised in a very working class environment..learnt to play classical music on a piano..released some succesful discs..made some dosh..joined a successful pop group.. made some more dosh.. became a self made millionaire..and expresses her opinion in a flamboyant way is "Thick..wow.. would that we were all as thick or talented..
    The point is that you denied using her selfmade wealth as a weapon against her....

And this against someone living in the UK and paying taxes. Unlike say Sean Connery or Lewis Hamilton even, who do not have to worry about mansion taxes or any taxes since they live abroad outside the UK tax jurisdiction.
    Maybe we should start an anti Connery petition, or just a plain anti hypocrite petition. What a relief for poor Myleen that she never called anybody a 'ting tong'. Can you imagine the outcry?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Gordon will of course retire having banked three great achievements:-

In 1997/98 when he fought off Blair's attempt to get us to join the Euro
    In 2008/09 when he saved the World
    In 2014 when he single handedly saved the UK

oh and 2010 when he sank the Labour party
  • Options

She was born in Great Yarmouth, the daughter of an Austrian father and Filipina mother, who gave her, she says, “an immigrant work ethic” as well as an early love of music. “My dad came over from Austria when he was seven,” she says, “and mum came in the 1960s. The mentality was: ‘We’re here to work.’ If I didn’t work a 16-hour day, I couldn’t look my aunties in the eye. You’ve got to remember many of them are cleaners. There are no silver spoons. We are a family of grafters.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/im-a-celebrity/11247621/Myleene-Klass-a-deadly-force-of-nature-pure-and-simple.html

No wonder she took up the violin, tears blinding me thinking of her climbing all those chimneys 32 hours a day.
  • Options
    Norm said:

He did sink the British financial industry as well.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    edited November 2014
    Get another job elsewhere in football? As I understand it, after the Twitter Frighteners were put on Sheffield - he's been told he can't get a job overseas either in football.

If his own friends can't give him a job - what hope does he have that another will take him on - evah? Not many.
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

• Options
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited November 2014
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

So we now to only be allowed to debate topics that old two names thinks are right and proper. When you planning to start burning the books JJ. You would not know free speech if you tripped over it.
    What a strange post.

I don't try to block anyone from expressing their opinions.

Today I've challenged Bjo over his promotion of what I see as a pathetically vindictive internet hate campaign. I haven't tried to close down any discussion.

Do even you know what you're on about any more?
  • Options

MG.. so someone who was raised in a very working class environment..learnt to play classical music on a piano..released some succesful discs..made some dosh..joined a successful pop group.. made some more dosh.. became a self made millionaire..and expresses her opinion in a flamboyant way is "Thick..wow.. would that we were all as thick or talented..
    The point is that you denied using her selfmade wealth as a weapon against her....

And this against someone living in the UK and paying taxes. Unlike say Sean Connery or Lewis Hamilton even, who do not have to worry about mansion taxes or any taxes since they live abroad outside the UK tax jurisdiction.
    Maybe we should start an anti Connery petition, or just a plain anti hypocrite petition. What a relief for poor Myleen that she never called anybody a 'ting tong'. Can you imagine the outcry?
    You are so bitter and twisted you cannot even tell the truth. Connery paid millions in tax in the UK and had a charity here as well. last I heard it was not compulsory to live in the UK and that people could choose where they wanted to live within certain parameters. Also how do you know she pays tax you dullard. Where the "ting tong " fits or means I have no clue , whole reply is barking.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

What a strange post.

Today I've challenged Bjo over his promotion of what I see as a pathetically vindictive internet hate campaign. I haven't tried to close down any discussion.

You were advocating people not being allowed to have campaigns that you disagreed with. I may disagree with BJO's campaign but it is his right to be able to have one. Nobody is forcing you to support and if you feel so bad start your own against it. You are advocating exactly what you are whining about, step back and look at it.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Norm said:

Don't forget he abolished 'Boom and Bust'. Which year was that?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Norm said:

Hear, hear ! Gordon, not Flash, just Gordon !

The ultimate tribute was paid by Salmond the other day in a BBC interview. He said the three leaders' panicked "vow" could have been taken apart as they lacked credibility until Gordon came in and underwrote the vow. The die was cast !

• Options

malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

But he hasn't been trying to get a job. His union asked for him to be allowed to train professionally in order to regain his fitness.

He hasn't sought a new contract at this stage.

To claim otherwise is to misrepresent the situation for some reason....
    Well it must be the media misrepresenting then as they said that he was asking to train and was looking to sign a £500K contract. I don't actually speak to him personally , do you.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

What a strange post.

You were advocating people not being allowed to have campaigns that you disagreed with. I may disagree with BJO's campaign but it is his right to be able to have one. Nobody is forcing you to support and if you feel so bad start your own against it. You are advocating exactly what you are whining about, step back and look at it.
    I criticised him for promoting it here. I also said people should be confronted for promoting hate campaigns on here. I haven't suggested allowing or disallowing anything. You have made that up.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

This bit was telling too:

"The point she was making wasn’t a complicated one: any idiot can raise taxes; the problem is raising revenue. Ed’s touching faith in the paleo-Leftie delusion that soaking the rich will make things better for everyone else helps explain why so few people find him credible. A confiscatory levy such as the mansion tax won’t raise much money, but sends a message to the most enterprising and productive people in society that they would be better off elsewhere"

She also raised the issue of fiscal drag. Don't underestimate the woman!

Or do the twitter mob think she should just be a pretty girl selling frocks and singing pop songs? Heaven forbid she expresses political views. Leave that politics for the men dear, and put the kettle on!
  • Options
    Afternoon, PB Fruitcakes :)

Anyone seen the Sun on Sunday YouGov tables yet? I've got the Sunday Times one.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
  • Options
    Klass apparently told Miliband that for £2m you can't "buy a garage" !

Where does the rich b!tch live ?

The average London house is just over £ 500,000 !!!
  • Options

Are you her Tax adviser ?
  • Options

Charles said:

There should be no room for people and their internet hate campaigns on here. Its obviously far too post modern to start a campaign against them.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "Where does the rich b!tch live ?"

Unpleasant, and misogynistic.

You have just failed Feminism 101.
  • Options
    Well, it's been a miserable week for Ed Miliband. Surely the white-van thing can't drag on for another week, but even if it doesn't Ed's unwitting endorsement of the sentiment it was claimed to epitomize may now be all but impossible to displace. Where does Labour go from here? It could turn its fire on Myleene Klass to regain some momentum, but that might seem petty and not befitting a national party. There's the Budget next year where Ed could reassert himself. But on previous form - with Ozzy bestriding such occasions like a colossus - I'm not hopeful. I don't know.
  • Options

Well, it's been a miserable week for Ed Miliband. Surely the white-van thing can't drag on for another week, but even if it doesn't Ed's unwitting endorsement of the sentiment it was claimed to epitomize may now be all but impossible to displace. Where does Labour go from here? It could turn its fire on Myleene Klass to regain some momentum, but that might seem petty and not befitting a national party. There's the Budget next year where Ed could reassert himself. But on previous form - with Ozzy bestriding such occasions like a colossus - I'm not hopeful. I don't know.

"Ozzy bestriding such occasions like a colossus "

Yup ! And shitting on everyone !!
  • Options

Alternatively it will make no difference, and the world will go on.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Another photo from the doorstep effort - different ward to the ones in the last two I posted here:

#LabourExpress in Broxtowe this morning for @nick4broxtowe #labourdoorstep pic.twitter.com/O6UGj7OcAR

— Jonathan Ashworth MP (@JonAshworth) November 23, 2014
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Are you her Tax adviser ?
    I don't care who her advisor is as long as its not the same one who advised Jimmy Carr.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

"Ozzy bestriding such occasions like a colossus "

Yup ! And shitting on everyone !!
    On Ed Balls certainly.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Gutted for Rosberg, he deserved it so much. /s

AHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Apart from anecdotal amusement, these big turnouts partly reflect the proximity to Labour's fortress in Nottingham - we get lots of helpers from there. I wonder if proximity to strongholds is another factor in the marginal assessment - I'm convinced that we held our two by-elections near Manchester partly because of activists pouring out of the city. Conversely it will be easier going for the Tories where they have strong neighbouring seats.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited November 2014
    MikeK's bi monthly prediction of the number of UKIP seats won to parliament at GE15:
    66 +22
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Congratulations Hamilton!!!!
  • Options
    If anyone is really interested in how much tax Myleene Klass has paid, they could check the accounts of her company (AvaHero Ltd, now closed, or her new company HarperBailey Ltd, due to post accounts in September)

• Options
    Surbiton ... ''Where does the rich b!tch live ?''

Are you a kipper?

The extremists go from bad to worse on this site ... well everywhere.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Another photo from the doorstep effort - different ward to the ones in the last two I posted here:

#LabourExpress in Broxtowe this morning for @nick4broxtowe #labourdoorstep pic.twitter.com/O6UGj7OcAR

— Jonathan Ashworth MP (@JonAshworth) November 23, 2014

Wot? No English flags?

:-)

• Options
    Jeez, I get a bit narked that someone smears me and am censored but 'Rich Bitch' is OK?

Poor show.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Swiss_Bob said:

Jeez, I get a bit narked that someone smears me and am censored but 'Rich Bitch' is OK?

Poor show.

The dirty side of the Left.
  • Options
    God Lord.

Nicole Scherzinger has just kissed Lewis Hamilton's helmet live on tv.

Fnarr
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK's bi monthly prediction of the number of UKIP seats won to parliament at GE15:
    66 +22

Something wrong with you keyboard Mike. It's double keying!
  • Options

You have been saying these sorts of stories will make no difference for quite a while now. So the decline in Ed's ratings is just a coincidence, is it?

• Options
    I hope people have noticed my use of my new favourite anagram today.

Weird Amid Bland.

I couldn't have invented a name with a more apt anagram than that.
  • Options
    One of the back markers has snuck in to the podium room
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

66 +22

Not bad for 2:50 pm on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ;)
  • Options

God Lord.

Nicole Scherzinger has just kissed Lewis Hamilton's helmet live on tv.

Fnarr

Comment of the day.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

MikeK said:

66 +22

Not bad for 2:50 pm on a rainy Sunday afternoon. ;)
    Ta!
    Seriously though 66! What odds are you giving?
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    malcolmg said:

Sean_F said:

It's a very difficult case and he maintains his innocence. I still don't understand how a woman can have sex with two men, one after another, and be sober enough to give consent to one but not the other.
  • Options
    I had a Sherlock Holmes moment when I saw it - most impressive stuff, Mr Jimmy.

yours sincerely

Mo Shellshocker

Weird Amid Bland.

• Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    John Rentoul ‏@JohnRentoul 9m9 minutes ago
    What do you think when see English flag draped from window? Proud 10%, Why not? 27%, Uncomfortable 18%, Contempt 7%, Don't care 33%: YouGov

Why all the fuss to try and appease that 10%?
  • Options
    Artist said:

What do you think when see English flag draped from window? Proud 10%, Why not? 27%, Uncomfortable 18%, Contempt 7%, Don't care 33%: YouGov

May be Ed was just thinking of when he saw the Union Jack on Lewis' car...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

You have been saying these sorts of stories will make no difference for quite a while now. So the decline in Ed's ratings is just a coincidence, is it?

FWIW, my view is that the encounter with Klass did him no harm at all, given that what she said was rather stupid and nonsensical. However, the Thornberry business has been a massive own goal, and his handling of it just demonstrates that he is an effing disaster of a leader.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MG.. The only one who is all over the place is you..but then it was ever thus.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Fabulous Lewis Hamilton.

Loved seeing Hezza going out there to support him too. Seeing the union jack from the car and then hearing the national anthem: just fab fab fab.

:)
  • Options
    Plato said:

yours sincerely

Mo Shellshocker

Weird Amid Bland.

Although I did come up with it myself today, I'm disappointed to discover that I was beaten to it; a "Nora_Titov" tweeted it to a hundred followers two weeks ago..
  • Options
    OT Anyone on here recommend a video editing software package? I'm trying to convert all my DVDs to soft copy. So I'm thinking of buying a streaming capture product that will suck the playback from the screen instead. I can also save streamed TV or interwebbery and use when I want to/on the device that suits me.

I'm looking at this and it seems quite attractive and great value. Linky > movavi.com/suite/video-conversion.html

Any expertise on this subject most appreciated. I really resent buying DVDs and then being trapped in that format/rummaging about for the right disc when I want to skip about a boxset or bodge up my own favourite clips. I can do it with CDs easy-peasy.

I've used Audacity to fix weird Microsoft file property errors in audio files and it's fine for shareware - I prefer something more slick interface wise.

PS @DavidL‌ - I think it was you who recommended giffgaff after your son subscribed for his new mobile - it's brilliant! He's got an excellent nose for a great deal and superb customer service
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited November 2014

new thread

• Options
    Plato said:

OT Anyone on here recommend a video editing software package? I'm trying to convert all my DVDs to soft copy. So I'm thinking of buying a streaming capture product that will suck the playback from the screen instead. I can also save streamed TV or interwebbery and use when I want to/on the device that suits me.

I'm looking at this and it seems quite attractive and great value. Linky > movavi.com/suite/video-conversion.html

Any expertise on this subject most appreciated. I really resent buying DVDs and then being trapped in that format/rummaging about for the right disc when I want to skip about a boxset or bodge up my own favourite clips. I can do it with CDs easy-peasy.

I've used Audacity to fix weird Microsoft file property errors in audio files and it's fine for shareware - I prefer something more slick interface wise.

PS @DavidL‌ - I think it was you who recommended giffgaff after your son subscribed for his new mobile - it's brilliant! He's got an excellent nose for a great deal and superb customer service

You can buy very cheap devices which include the editing software, I use a Grabby Terratec USB device using S Video as the input, it's much higher quality than the RCA yellow plug, I bought a much more expensive HD card but it doesn't work :-(
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Because it matters to those 10% A LOT?

I put up a 40' flag pole in my garden when flying the St George's flag was all over the press as some BNP emblem. I saw red and thought Eff Em. I'm English and very proud of it.

So order placed, put it together [plastic covered aluminium] and dug a hole for the base/poured concrete - and fiddled about in the freezing rain trying to work out how to fix the toggles/guides. Cost about £250 IIRC - I lowered the flag for sad occasions, but otherwise one flew for 15yr until I moved. It was Platoland.

I think I went through about 6 flags during that time - all naval quality, not the flimsy things sold in supermarkets. I was very proud of it. It was quite a talking point at first as it was so unusual. I'm very pleased that it's become commonplace.
    Artist said:

• Options
    Great minds. I'm crap at such things - I get a feeling about something and then slap my forehead, I rarely come up with them myself.

Props to anyone with this talent, @MrsB‌ of this parish does great limericks and poems.

Plato said:

yours sincerely

Mo Shellshocker

Weird Amid Bland.

Although I did come up with it myself today, I'm disappointed to discover that I was beaten to it; a "Nora_Titov" tweeted it to a hundred followers two weeks ago..
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    SNP conference clearly had an affect, they've just jumped from 85000 members at the time of the conference to 90000.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited November 2014
  • Options

Weird Amid Bland.

I've got one!

"Da demon vicar"
  • Options

Weird Amid Bland.

I've got one!

"Da demon vicar"
    I did him years ago - Random Advice - I'm an equal opportunities anagrammer!
  • Options

Weird Amid Bland.

I've got one!

"Da demon vicar"
    I did him years ago - Random Advice - I'm an equal opportunities anagrammer!
    Da demon vicar is more apt :)
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    "I still don't understand how a woman can have sex with two men, one after another, and be sober enough to give consent to one but not the other."

Socrates, I came new to this case when this week's story blew up, so I read up on some of the legal press stories. I had the same question, but the answer seems to be that MacDonald's longer interaction with her, in picking her up at the fast food place, inviting her back to the hotel and inviting her to have sex was judged by the jury to have been more reasonable assumption of both consent and capacity to give consent that merely a 'mind if I join in?'
  • Options

Weird Amid Bland.

I've got one!

"Da demon vicar"
    My favourites are:

Go Get Beers

Vagina Dildo

Easy clue, both past footballers
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,822
    Swiss_Bob said:

Plato said:

You can buy very cheap devices which include the editing software, I use a Grabby Terratec USB device using S Video as the input, it's much higher quality than the RCA yellow plug, I bought a much more expensive HD card but it doesn't work :-(
    For digitising DVDs there's some excellent software called 'MakeMKV'. As it's in beta (and has been for years) it's free too. It also handles Blu-Rays. You can then play the MKV files back using something like XBMC (now called Kodi) which is free too.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,802
    Mike - the last sentence of your fifth paragraph appears to be cut off prematurely. It should of course read "The SNP voted with the Tories, as did the numerically more significant Liberals"

Glad to sort that out.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Too dumb to understand that having a pop at Myleene Klass looks like mob bullying.
  • Options
    Playing the woman, rather than the ball doesn't do Ed-fans any favours
  • Options
    Test
This discussion has been closed.