Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The National Theatre’s production “This House” – a taste of

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited November 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The National Theatre’s production “This House” – a taste of what happens with minority government

Suddenly people are talking about a possible minority government after the general election because of the way the maths appear at the moment. With the polls looking so tight with UKIP and the SNP expected to have much bigger contingents at Westminster it’s quite likely that neither LAB or CON will secure a majority and a future coalition very difficult to achieve.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options

It would be a reminder of the huge challenges of minority government which, I’d suggest, are much greater now than in the 70s.

I think it's right to say that backbench MPs in the last two Parliaments have been relatively rebellious. It's not just the odds and sods that would have to be kept onside, but the cranks and oddballs nominally in the same party.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I thought this thread was a spam one about the National Theatre for a second!
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    Peter Hitchens this morning gets right to the knub of the matter:

"Seven years ago the brilliant pollster and Blairite Establishment figure Peter Kellner (a longstanding Labour Party member) told me at a public debate: ‘I think it’s really important that the Conservative Party does survive as a substantial brand, because there will always be a need for a centre-Right party.’

Need? I wondered as he spoke, who exactly needs it? Why does a lifelong Lefty like Mr Kellner wish to save the Tories?

Mr Kellner read my mind and continued: ‘If the Conservatives were to go the way that Peter expects (and I think possibly would relish), I am frightened as to what kind of Right-of- centre politics would then spring up…

‘One of the great virtues of British politics… is that we have not had a substantial far-Right nationalist xenophobic party in Britain.

‘A substantial Conservative Party is our best bulwark against the kind of politics that I think could become very nasty.’

When Mr Kellner uses terms such as ‘far-Right nationalist xenophobic’, he means a party that would be hostile to the European Union’s control of our Government, laws and borders. The British Left have for many years seen Brussels as the way to turn Britain into the sort of country they want, by the back door...

The Tory Party has helped the Left for decades. It has blocked the creation of a strong pro-British parliamentary force. It has done so by pretending to love Britain when it doesn’t. Its every pose is a fake. All its principal figures are fakes as well. And they have got away with it....

This weekend, for the first time, I begin to have a very faint hope that they have finally seen through the Tory fraud. Rochester has shown that a pro-British rebellion against the Tories could, if properly handled, sweep the country, elbowing Labour aside as it does so.
    What I hope for is what the Establishment fear."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2845812/PETER-HITCHENS-night-fleet-Tory-snake-oil-tankers-sailed-Rochester-sank.html
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sure how many key voters regularly attend National Theatre productions. The problems the parties are facing are gonna be huge next year. People like BJO are living in the usual CCL when they think all will be well by taxing a few mansions in London - minus of course those owned by MPs who don't have to pay it! Go figure.
  • Options
    I had a brief look, and I can't find a DVD of the play, but it is available as a book.

If anyone wants to buy me a Christmas gift....
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Indigo FPT

"The Left across Europe has been seduced by the EU’s promise of workers’ rights – forgetting that you can’t enjoy those rights if you don’t have a job to begin with."

Quite so and a good observation. That's why vodka is so cheap in Russia.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I cannot see a minority government lasting 5 years, or another smaller party agreeing coalition.

Controversial legislation like an EU referendum will be mangled or blocked.

New leaderships and new elections may just repeat the deadlock.

It will be like Italy without the sunshine.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

I cannot see a minority government lasting 5 years, or another smaller party agreeing coalition.

A hapless minority Labour government would be manna from heaven for UKIP in the next election.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JGForsyth: ‘We have become a magnet for bad luck and bad timing’, dejected Miliband confidant http://t.co/hfsh2E3iAV

No. You have a bad leader, bad advisers, bad party management and bad policies.

Apart from that...
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    PP shortens the Lib Dem Deposit Loss market once again. 201+ is now evens. Combining the 151-200 and 201+ markets the original 151+ has gone from 9/2 to approximately 1/3.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JGForsyth: ‘We have become a magnet for bad luck and bad timing’, dejected Miliband confidant http://t.co/hfsh2E3iAV

Apart from that...

I think Labour's problems are a bit more fundamental then you suggest.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Another day, another Emily Thornberry column...

@JohnRentoul: EdM sacked Thornberry for patronising working class & then did it himself. My column for @IndyOnSunday http://t.co/wWMNM5cg2t

Lucy Powell, 'for the win...'
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited November 2014
    Labour MPs tell me that their disaffected constituents are much more likely to vote Ukip than they are to vote Conservative – there is a taboo about the Tories that doesn't apply to Ukip no matter how much "more Tory than Tory" Labour people claim it is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/rochester-byelection-a-little-respect-goes-a-long-way-ed-miliband-9877702.html

The Tories aren't toxic because of being right wing, but because they're seen as the party of the upper class.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312

I remember being taken to Italy on holidays in the 1970's and the government falling whilst I was there. I thought it was something to do with my visits!

In fact, government, as opposed to the government, was stable. The coalitions were basically the same and government departments were parcelled out to members of the coalition.

Perhaps those pro-European Lib Dems should have paid more attention.

The sudden collapse of this system after enduring so many years is a lesson for the major parties in the UK.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    Quincel said:

PP shortens the Lib Dem Deposit Loss market once again. 201+ is now evens. Combining the 151-200 and 201+ markets the original 151+ has gone from 9/2 to approximately 1/3.

I hope the rate on their much vaunted insurance has already been agreed, or they're going to have to spend all the lying leaflets money on lost deposits!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Labour MPs tell me that their disaffected constituents are much more likely to vote Ukip than they are to vote Conservative – there is a taboo about the Tories that doesn't apply to Ukip no matter how much "more Tory than Tory" Labour people claim it is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/rochester-byelection-a-little-respect-goes-a-long-way-ed-miliband-9877702.html

The Tories aren't toxic because of being right wing, but because they're seen as the party of the upper class.

The Tories are toxic because they turn on their friends and allies with relish.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    May says the Government have succeeded in bringing immigration down.

Marr points out she has been holding the graph on net migration upside down!!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    FPT: [older stuff deleted]
    Swiss_Bob said:

Carnyx said:

On the contrary: I'd say the tour - just a few lectures, basically - is intended to make clear how Ms S and her colleagues propose to do exactly that, i.e. run Scotland. And it is doing that, despite the deflection and whining of SLAB whose policies have been variously trashed or stolen as appropriate (when they weren't already SNP policies). The SLAB election candidates seem to be adopting either SNP or Tory policies!

Which brings us to another point. I find it interesting that you (for instance: this is not intended as a personal point) should support a Labour MP so strongly for SLAB head when (a) he has a difficult transition to make electorally to become a MSP (but not impossible), and (b) you are a Tory anyway and the last thing the Tories need is Labour success in Scotland to give Mr Miliband the MPs he needs.

One might well wonder if you and others of your thinking are essentially refighting indyref rather than running Scotland - rather ironic when the chorus from the No coalition has been for the SNP to do the complete reverse.

Do they not have those new fangled telephonoscopes north of the border?

As Mr Baird invented them, or something equivalent to them, I should think so ... but the SNP don't own or control them, so tend to be left off the news if it is at all positive. It was commented, for instance, how the UK state broadcaster failed to report the new cabinet reshuffle and the gender equality therein.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    Scott_P said:

Apart from that...

After their almost catastrophic performance running up to and including the 2010 election I expected Labour to have a sustained period of infighting after their defeat. In fact they haven’t; they had a relatively straightforward leadership election and seemed to have sorted themselves out, but the loss of self-confidence is only now becoming apparent.

It’s eerily reminescent of the Roger McGough poem.

“I want to be the leader.
    I want to be the leader.
    Can I be the leader?
    Can I?
    Promise? Promise?
    Yippee! I’m the leader!
    I am the leader.
    What shall we do?”
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Yeahh . you mean like Ed turned on Emily Thornberry.. He backed her to the hilt, with a political knife in her back.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    Theresa May is on Desert Island Discs today from 11.15am R4
  • Options
    Mr. Carnyx, are you sure? I saw a BBC news programme which included Sturgeon, her reshuffle, and its equal gender mix [which is bloody irrelevant if you ask me, but there we are].
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Socrates said:

I think that's right. Where I've met UKIP voters in WWC areas, they almost always say they prefer us to the Tories. We make the obvious tactical vote argument; about half appear to be open to persuasion, the other half say stuff that, I'll vote UKIP anyway. Since we're on top of the contact rate overall, we're spending time to discuss it rather than saying "Oh well" and hurrying on as we iusually would.

It's not quite a class thing. I don't masquerade as a working-class bloke, but I'm happy to chat on an equal basis to anyone and I'm open to learn about the realities of life in a tough world where I can, within the limits of my generally Guaradianish world view. I find people are OK with that - I don't get active anti-intellectual never-seen-you-with-a-pint reactions. If you're genuine and friendly that'll do.

Presumably the same sort of conversation goes on in Tory-Kipper encounters. But it's one reason why the weak Tory ground game is a problem for them - they just aren't identifying the waverers as effectively, because just throwing glossy leaflets and emails at voters Does Not Work with Kippers.
  • Options
    https://www.change.org/p/littlewoods-drop-myleene-klass-as-the-face-of-littlewoods

Still collecting signatures.

She has been very quiet since her £2m garage nonsense
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Did you get lost on leaving Dirty Dicks on Friday? I was walking towards Fenchurch St and saw you walking back towards the pub
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    If Ed had a Praetorian guard it was North London intellectuals who recognised him as one of their own. After his absurd treatment of Emily Thornberry even they are not so sure. Ed has found a way to weaken his position even further. Genius!

Where he is getting help is that the EIC theme is now so built in that yet further manifestations of it does not seem to be hurting the Labour vote much. It is certainly not helping the Tories who are seeing these votes drift off elsewhere. Will that remain the case as the election gets closer or will the traditional squeeze be applied to the minor parties? For me that is becoming the key question for the next election.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Socrates said:

A hapless minority Labour government would be manna from heaven for UKIP in the next election.
    The UKIP Dream.

Alternatively, UKIP will be given a monumental kicking by everyone for allowing Ed to get into power and feck things up again. Buyers Remorse will be the big theme the media will be running with.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Bullshit. How is someone who defects from your party a "friend and ally"?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

You're trying to hound Myleene Klass out of a job just for showing up the weirdo who you want to make our Prime Minister?

Nice
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

I remember being taken to Italy on holidays in the 1970's and the government falling whilst I was there. I thought it was something to do with my visits!

In fact, government, as opposed to the government, was stable. The coalitions were basically the same and government departments were parcelled out to members of the coalition.

Perhaps those pro-European Lib Dems should have paid more attention.

The sudden collapse of this system after enduring so many years is a lesson for the major parties in the UK.
    There is something to be said for ineffective governments in relatively good times. Major 92-97 being a recent example.

But I do not think that this is such a period. Economically the world is uncertain, with the Eurozone stagnant, Japan back in recession and both the USA and China needing continuous fiscal stimulus.

The deficit is not going down, and I cannot see that getting better without major cuts to the welfare budget and also tax rises. A new period of mid seventies style government would not be a good one.

Miliband has wasted his blank sheet of paper. Leaving a political vacuum is unwise, as politics also abhors a vacuum.
  • Options
    Mr. L, it takes a special political talent to turn a Conservative defection to UKIP and Conservative by-election defeat to UKIP into a bad news story for Labour.

Mr. Owls, I'd guess the ban the petition to ban Myleene Klass petition is also getting more votes. Some people are rather over-sensitive.

"Gasp! This woman holds a political opinion which differs from my own! Burn the witch!"
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Mr. Carnyx, are you sure? I saw a BBC news programme which included Sturgeon, her reshuffle, and its equal gender mix [which is bloody irrelevant if you ask me, but there we are].

I was (as my wording made clear, I hope) going on what I had read this morning - the usually reliable Iain Macwhirter's article in the Herald today which commented on that (or else I have misunderstood it and need to go back and do O level English). So I admit I may be wrong there on that particular point (or Mr M and you saw different news). But I am safe in saying that the media are in general pretty anti-SNP and anti-indy.

Which is why it is so interesting that one media company is having a second Sauline conversion and producing a pro-indy daily newspaper after finding that the Sunday Herald circulation went up 110% or so after changing to an approach which didn't treat half of Scots as subversives bent on destroying the UK and the rest as idiots who only read one side of the story. They're printing 50K copies for the pilot scheme - interesting to see if 1% of the population buy them.

[Edit: as almost 2% are SNP members now, that may be a bit pessimistic!]

• Options

You're trying to hound Myleene Klass out of a job just for showing up the weirdo who you want to make our Prime Minister?

Nice
    It is all rather North Korean.

The Glorious Leader is such a sensitive soul, can't have his feelings hurt....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,509
    edited November 2014
    Carnyx said:

I was (as my wording made clear, I hope) going on what I had read this morning - the usually reliable Iain Macwhirter's article in the Herald today which commented on that (or else I have misunderstood it and need to go back and do O level English). So I admit I may be wrong there on that particular point (or Mr M and you saw different news). But I am safe in saying that the media are in general pretty anti-SNP and anti-indy.

Which is why it is so interesting that one media company is having a second Sauline conversion and producing a pro-indy daily newspaper after finding that the Sunday Herald circulation went up 110% or so after changing to an approach which didn't treat half of Scots as subversives bent on destroying the UK and the rest as idiots who only read one side of the story. They're printing 50K copies for the pilot scheme - interesting to see if 1% of the population buy them.

You should try supporting a genuinely anti-establishment party. Then you'd see some media bias.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    edited November 2014

I agree. But I also agree with Mike that "it’s quite likely that neither LAB or CON will secure a majority and a future coalition very difficult to achieve."

The conclusion is a minority government that only lasts a few months. After that there will either be another GE or a coalition involving several parties will be thrashed out over the summer (including some leadership changes) and be confirmed after the September conferences.

Look at the arithmetic using the latest Sporting Index seat numbers.

This has Labour on 286 and Conservative on 283. They need 323 (excl SF and Speaker) for a majority. So Labour need 37 extra and Conservatives need 40 extra.

Where are they going to get them? Sporting Index have LibDem on 29, SNP on 20 and UKIP on 11. Assume Green plus PC plus SDLP get say 8 and are inclined to support Labour. Assume DUP get 9 and are inclined to support Conservative.

Cameron has first crack. He needs 40 for a coalition or confidence and supply. He might get UKIP and DUP support. That is 20. He will also need LibDem support. UKIP plus DUP plus LibDem for confidence and supply would collapse at the first hurdle.

Miliband then has a crack at it. He needs 37. He could get it from SNP plus LibDem. He could also just get it theoretically from LibDem plus Green plus PC plus SLDP but it would be too unstable. He needs the SNP and LibDems. But I believe he could get a temporary supply and confidence for the Queens Speech from a subset of SNP+LibDem+Green+PC+SDLP (57 in total) while a coalition is thrashed out between them all over the summer.

This analysis depends on the current Sporting Index numbers. But they will need to change a lot to alter the general conclusion that it will be a temporary Labour minority government.

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited November 2014

Socrates said:

Alternatively, UKIP will be given a monumental kicking by everyone for allowing Ed to get into power and feck things up again. Buyers Remorse will be the big theme the media will be running with.
    The failure of the Conservatives to attract support is their failure. Not UKIP's, not Labour's, not the Lib-Dems'.
  • Options
    'The SNP voted with the Tories.'

As did the Liberals, which tends not to get mentioned (particularly by Liberals/LDs).
  • Options
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be Nicola's biggest fan but I must admit that the dismissals of MacAskill and Russell does indicate an ability to recognise crap and do something about it. The damage those two did under Salmond will take a long time to undo.

We can only hope there is a change of policies not just personnel.
  • Options

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Yeahh . you mean like Ed turned on Emily Thornberry.. He backed her to the hilt, with a political knife in her back.
    I was thinking about whole classes of people e.g. social conservatives, annuity sellers, Notts miners, etc.
  • Options

https://www.change.org/p/littlewoods-drop-myleene-klass-as-the-face-of-littlewoods

That really is pathetic. Klass is a Z list sleb, a failed popstar. That Labour feel the need to go after her, because your useless leader doesn't have the wit to counter her incoherent argument, says a lot more about him, than her.
    What with Thornberry getting binned, harshly in my view, and now going after Klass, does Labour have a problem with women?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Edit wrong quote. iPhones, bah!

Let's face it by the end no one in their right mind could possibly have thought that a continuation of Callaghan's government was in the national interest. He was a nice guy but he had lost the ability to govern and Britain was in desperate need of government. The SNP did the right thing and so did the Liberals.
  • Options

Mr. L, it takes a special political talent to turn a Conservative defection to UKIP and Conservative by-election defeat to UKIP into a bad news story for Labour.

Mr. Owls, I'd guess the ban the petition to ban Myleene Klass petition is also getting more votes. Some people are rather over-sensitive.

"Gasp! This woman holds a political opinion which differs from my own! Burn the witch!"

Your probably right Mr Dancer the 550 signing the patp compared to the 8100 signing the petition cant be exteapolated to a 15 to 1 support for the MT.

In my view MT compared to 50% to 45% tax cut is a clear winner with the voters.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

You should try supporting a genuinely anti-establishment party. Then you'd see some media bias.

What do you think the SNP has been in Scotland for the last two decades, and still is? You need to live here to believe the way it has been treated in the news and by other political parties. Much of the hatred of Mr Salmond and the SNP is because the establishment just cannot cope with the idea of the SNP winning. It'll need a generation shift to move on from that, I expect.

Believe me, the UKIP get a much more favourable treatment in Scotland than the SNP - look at the way Mr Farage's visit was reported and its disruption blamed on Mr Salmond personally by some newspapers. Even today, some PBers still think the Yes campaign had orchestrated thugs when in fact, one egg apart, all the violent incidents were perpetrated by Labour and their allies, such as the George Square attacks and riot.

But as a wise PBer said a year or so back the EU referendum will reprise many of the same tricks and incidents as indyref saw and this time we Scots will be sitting with the popcorn and ticking them off as we see them rolled out again.
  • Options

Socrates said:

The failure of the Conservatives to attract support is their failure. Not UKIP's, not Labour's, not the Lib-Dems'.
    That doesn't address the issue of Buyer's Remorse - that has so blighted the LibDems in this Parliament. It will be UKIPs turn in the next.
  • Options

That really is pathetic. Klass is a Z list sleb, a failed popstar. That Labour feel the need to go after her, because your useless leader doesn't have the wit to counter her incoherent argument, says a lot more about him, than her.
    What with Thornberry getting binned, harshly in my view, and now going after Klass, does Labour have a problem with women?
    Not according to the polls.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Your probably right Mr Dancer the 550 signing the patp compared to the 8100 signing the petition cant be exteapolated to a 15 to 1 support for the MT.

In my view MT compared to 50% to 45% tax cut is a clear winner with the voters.

Most taxes that other people have to pay are "clear winners" with voters.

Doesn't make them good governance or make the country better for people.

For more info, see Hollande in France.

• Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Perhaps Tim is advising them.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Socrates said:

That doesn't address the issue of Buyer's Remorse - that has so blighted the LibDems in this Parliament. It will be UKIPs turn in the next.
    The decline of the Conservatives/rise of UKIP is an example of buyer's remorse.

In Clacton the Conservatives declined from 53% to 25%. In Rochester and Strood they declined from 49% to 35%.
  • Options

Have the polls instructed you to try to get Myleene Klass fired?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Labour has a problem with men, women, and all the social classes.It attacks the better off whilst ridiculing WVM. Then Ed tells a 24 carat gold lie.. Jeez...
    Labour's biggest problem is that it has a very weak leader who can't think on his feet, his backroom staff who are badly advising him.. just think what it would be like if they got into Govt?? It doesn't bear thinking about.
  • Options

Nice
    I along with 166,000 others hounded a rapist out of a potential job earlier this week.

Myleene is a minor celebrity who is totally out of touch with white van man isn't she?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

What do you think the SNP has been in Scotland for the last two decades, and still is? You need to live here to believe the way it has been treated in the news and by other political parties. Much of the hatred of Mr Salmond and the SNP is because the establishment just cannot cope with the idea of the SNP winning. It'll need a generation shift to move on from that, I expect.

Believe me, the UKIP get a much more favourable treatment in Scotland than the SNP - look at the way Mr Farage's visit was reported and its disruption blamed on Mr Salmond personally by some newspapers. Even today, some PBers still think the Yes campaign had orchestrated thugs when in fact, one egg apart, all the violent incidents were perpetrated by Labour and their allies, such as the George Square attacks and riot.

But as a wise PBer said a year or so back the EU referendum will reprise many of the same tricks and incidents as indyref saw and this time we Scots will be sitting with the popcorn and ticking them off as we see them rolled out again.
    Sorry: for that read 'incidents and arrests were due to Labour's allies on the No side, including the arrests of two Labour politicians to my memory'.

• Options
    isam said:

Ninoinoz said:

Socrates said:

Did you get lost on leaving Dirty Dicks on Friday? I was walking towards Fenchurch St and saw you walking back towards the pub
    Yes, I'm unfamiliar with the area and I walked past the exit I had used, probably because it was closed. I popped onto the other side of Liverpool Street where I knew the bulk of the station was and entered there only to discover the most obvious tube entrance was also closed. Eventually found the open entrance and used that.

I've had a similar experience at Piccadilly Circus, but I'm far more familiar with that area.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    edited November 2014
    DavidL said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be Nicola's biggest fan but I must admit that the dismissals of MacAskill and Russell does indicate an ability to recognise crap and do something about it. The damage those two did under Salmond will take a long time to undo.

Yes - she may be not as much of a showman as Salmond, but lets hope she's a more effective First Minister - Scottish Education has fallen a long way and needs fixing pronto.

Meanwhile, Tom Watson offer's his view:

Why it would be disastrous if we give Jim Murphy Labour's top job in Scotland … says the party's former deputy chairman

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/why-it-would-be-disastrous-if-we-give-jim-murphy-labours-top-job-in-scotland-says.25941193

Sturgeon could be in position for quite a while......
  • Options

Nice
    I along with 166,000 others hounded a rapist out of a potential job earlier this week.

Myleene is a minor celebrity who is totally out of touch with white van man isn't she?
    So you're drawing an equivalence between rape and arguing with weird Ed?

You get nicer and nicer...
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

That was an utterly contemptible comparison by BJO.
  • Options

No and the Sun is too busy flogging a whits van man dead horse to start a save Myleene campaign too
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

FPT: [older stuff deleted]

Swiss_Bob said:

Carnyx said:

On the contrary: I'd say the tour - just a few lectures, basically - is intended to make clear how Ms S and her colleagues propose to do exactly that, i.e. run Scotland. And it is doing that, despite the deflection and whining of SLAB whose policies have been variously trashed or stolen as appropriate (when they weren't already SNP policies). The SLAB election candidates seem to be adopting either SNP or Tory policies!

Which brings us to another point. I find it interesting that you (for instance: this is not intended as a personal point) should support a Labour MP so strongly for SLAB head when (a) he has a difficult transition to make electorally to become a MSP (but not impossible), and (b) you are a Tory anyway and the last thing the Tories need is Labour success in Scotland to give Mr Miliband the MPs he needs.

One might well wonder if you and others of your thinking are essentially refighting indyref rather than running Scotland - rather ironic when the chorus from the No coalition has been for the SNP to do the complete reverse.

Do they not have those new fangled telephonoscopes north of the border?

It was commented, for instance, how the UK state broadcaster failed to report the new cabinet reshuffle and the gender equality therein.
    Yes - they buried it in the introductory paragraph:

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has announced the make-up of her new senior ministerial team, with an equal split of male and female members.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-30138550
  • Options

Nice

I find this quite interesting.

I note the Left are big on employment protection and on anti-discrimination in hiring practices, but are remarkably vicious in stopping others who disagree with them or they simply don't like from earning a living.
  • Options

No and the Sun is too busy flogging a whits van man dead horse to start a save Myleene campaign too
    Why the hell are you trying to get her fired then?
  • Options

Nice

Myleene has been quite successful at getting the British public to vote for her, both from the original talent show to "I am a Celebrity". She is quite a talented musician and has surprising talents in other areas. She is a self made millionaire by her own hard work. Ed would love to have her popularity!

I think that the nasty wing of Labour has it in for her because it assumes that mixed race single mothers should automatically support Labour. It is Thornberrys arrogance all over again, but all the nastier for being deliberate.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Yes - she may be not as much of a showman as Salmond, but lets hope she's a more effective First Minister - Scottish Education has fallen a long way and needs fixing pronto.

Why it would be disastrous if we give Jim Murphy Labour's top job in Scotland … says the party's former deputy chairman

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/why-it-would-be-disastrous-if-we-give-jim-murphy-labours-top-job-in-scotland-says.25941193

Much though I admire Jim Murphy Watson does have a point. How could Murphy reach out to the natural Labour Party supporters who voted Yes? That is his challenge and I have not seen an answer yet.

Falling out with Watson was yet another Ed mistake. Labour has few enough campaigners with his talent.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited November 2014

Nice

Labour no longer believes in rehabilitation?

Nasty, nasty party.

IRA terrorists on the other hand . . .

Edit Realised that the 'IRA' part is redundant
  • Options

Nice

Only a moron or PB Tories would think i was comparing the two.

For the avoidance of doubt this is not another comparison!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,879
    edited November 2014
    Thing is you can only have a coalition if the numbers are there. I think it's increasingly likely that no combination of numbers/parties will be able to form a coalition majority.

We could well be in for a few years on absolute chaos...
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Socrates said:

That would only be the case if UKIP went into a Coalition and then failed to deliver what the people who voted for them expected, then voted for a motion that contradicted their flagship policy

Not going to happen but I can understand why you would like it to
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    GIN1138 said:

Thing is you can only have a coalition if the numbers are there. I think it's increasingly likely that no combination of numbers/parties will get to a majority coalition.

We could well be in for a few years on absolute chaos...

I agree with the first part but not the second.

My conviction that we're heading for an outright Conservative victory is increasing.

Past performance is no indication, but I've never yet lost a political punt.

Something like:

Con 39.5%
    Lab 28.5%
    UKIP 11%
    LD 10%

Tory majority 50+

• Options

Nice

You replied to the question about Klass with the stuff about a rapist. Only a moron would do that and expect people to not think you were comparing the two.

Why are you trying to get Myleene Klass fired?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    So disagreeing with Ed should be a punishable offence should it? Is he making arrangements so that he can ship people that don't toe the party line off to detention camps in Scotland should he gain power?

• Options

Peter Hitchens this morning gets right to the knub of the matter.

Hehe.
  • Options

I agree with this

We the undersigned call upon you, Littlewoods to part company with Myleene Klass. This is because Miss Klass has shown herself to be an inappropriate representative for a brand such as yours which is aimed at customers who have to pay for their belongings in installments because they cannot afford to pay up front.

Littlewood's customers who pay weekly for the items they cannot afford to buy upfront- especially at Christmas time- are among the most hard hit by Britain's current economic hardships.

Littlewoods, there has been a huge public outcry from your customers who feel humiliated and demoralised by the comments of your public face Miss Myleene Klass.

Many feel- as you can read in the reasons people have given for signing this petition- that Miss Klass is an inappropriate representative for the company they buy from in installments. Obviously these people are far from wealthy and many profess to be struggling very badly in these difficult financial times.

The public members who have signed this petition have done so for the following reasons:

* Miss Klass failed to balance her comments on her perceived unfairness of the Mansion Tax with reference to the Bedroom tax which has crippled the finances of many a British family- very many of those are your own customers.

*Miss Klass (estimated net worth in 2012 £11 million), made comments that many members of the public feel show she is out of touch with the life of the everyday person such as her stating that £2 million was a is small amount to spend on a property. In particular the statement describing the amount of £2 million as barely enough to buy a garage was seen to be in bad taste.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Falling out with Watson was yet another Ed mistake. Labour has few enough campaigners with his talent.
    Perhaps he doesn't fit in with the salons of North London - I'd forgotten his role in the Falkirk non-event - something which continues to have repercussions to this day - if it stops Murphy getting the job and MSPs end up with a leader they didn't want. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options

I agree with this

We the undersigned call upon you, Littlewoods to part company with Myleene Klass. This is because Miss Klass has shown herself to be an inappropriate representative for a brand such as yours which is aimed at customers who have to pay for their belongings in installments because they cannot afford to pay up front.

Littlewood's customers who pay weekly for the items they cannot afford to buy upfront- especially at Christmas time- are among the most hard hit by Britain's current economic hardships.

Littlewoods, there has been a huge public outcry from your customers who feel humiliated and demoralised by the comments of your public face Miss Myleene Klass.

Many feel- as you can read in the reasons people have given for signing this petition- that Miss Klass is an inappropriate representative for the company they buy from in installments. Obviously these people are far from wealthy and many profess to be struggling very badly in these difficult financial times.

The public members who have signed this petition have done so for the following reasons:

* Miss Klass failed to balance her comments on her perceived unfairness of the Mansion Tax with reference to the Bedroom tax which has crippled the finances of many a British family- very many of those are your own customers.

*Miss Klass (estimated net worth in 2012 £11 million), made comments that many members of the public feel show she is out of touch with the life of the everyday person such as her stating that £2 million was a is small amount to spend on a property. In particular the statement describing the amount of £2 million as barely enough to buy a garage was seen to be in bad taste.

How much 'bedroom tax' has HMRC collected?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2014
    Swiss_Bob said:

Nice

Nasty, nasty party.

A man who'd served his time for the crime committed.

Is there a new Labour plan to bar all such from re entering society via the rule of the mob?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Much though I admire Jim Murphy Watson does have a point. How could Murphy reach out to the natural Labour Party supporters who voted Yes? That is his challenge and I have not seen an answer yet.

Murphy would be a divisive figure, Findlay would also make it difficult for Sturgeon to outflank Labour on the left.

Worst of all would be for the winner to be fixed in Westminster!
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I agree with this

Using that argument, Ed Miliband and many in the Labour party are an "inappropriate representative" for their voters.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    @big john owls

Do you agree with the fact that MPs will not have to pay Ed's Mansion tax as they'll be able to claim it back as 'expenses'?
  • Options

Nice

Shall we on PB start a petition to have bigjohnowls' NHS pension taken away from him, just because we disagree with him?

Let's see how he reacts to his livelihood being threatened.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Perhaps he doesn't fit in with the salons of North London - I'd forgotten his role in the Falkirk non-event - something which continues to have repercussions to this day - if it stops Murphy getting the job and MSPs end up with a leader they didn't want. What could possibly go wrong?
    I think the answer to that must be Ed. The MPs didn't want him either and they were right.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Nice

Nasty, nasty party.

Rehabilitation requires remorse not the hounding of the victim.

Have you seen Cheds website?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited November 2014
    ''Let's see how he reacts to his livelihood being threatened.''

To be honest, In think BJO's desperation to protect his ludicrously generous pension arrangements drive all his posts.
  • Options
    Interestingly Big John Owls was the only person on here to call the Klass War right. We were assured by the Conservative echo chamber it would be a disaster for Ed. They were wrong, and he was right. For that he deserves some credit, but I doubt he will receive any.
  • Options

Nice

That you should be proud of your part in a modern day lynch mob is unsurprising.
  • Options
    @BJO

Myleene has done a great deal for charity via children in need; though perhaps the most high profile donation was this one to benefit the victims of the Farepack collapse:

http://m.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2008312/myleene-klass-bikini-tops-gbp7-ebay

Myleene is not Labours enemy and should be left alone.
  • Options

Interestingly Big John Owls was the only person on here to call the Klass War right. We were assured by the Conservative echo chamber it would be a disaster for Ed. They were wrong, and he was right. For that he deserves some credit, but I doubt he will receive any.

Since Klassgate happened on Monday, this is the first week since 2011 that the Tories have led in the weekly YouGov average.

Just saying.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Nice

Nasty, nasty party.

Rehabilitation requires remorse not the hounding of the victim.

Have you seen Cheds website?
    No, and I don't care. If there's a problem the justice system can deal with it. It's not like your party didn't bring in enough laws.

Mob rule is for savages.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Murphy would be a divisive figure, Findlay would also make it difficult for Sturgeon to outflank Labour on the left.

Which candidate is 'not' Westminster's candidate?

Findlay is the Union's man, Murphy the MSPs - which will cause Ed a bigger headache.

I don't know Findlay - but I suspect Murphy would be perfectly happy to tell Ed to Foxtrot Oscar.....which frankly is what SLAB needs.....

• Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Nice

Nasty, nasty party.

Is there a new Labour plan to bar all such from re entering society via the rule of the mob?
    No, not at all.

Terrorists most welcome.

Also, talentless singers who desecrate Russian cathedrals are to be feted.
  • Options
    On topic, they broadcast this in quite a few cinemas last year.

I bloody loved it.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Nice

Nasty, nasty party.

A rapist who argues the only crime sorry mistake he has made is infidelity.

Re entering society begins with remorse.

Evans has not only shown none but is still hounding the victim of his crime with his contemptible website.
  • Options
    Morning all.

Just catching up with the previous thread, thanks to all who contributed to the ADHD discussion, a subject I knew very little about - most informative. Ta.
  • Options

I agree with this

Everything there was true before she embarrassed Weird Amid Bland, except for the bit about her actually embarrassing him.

So you're an active proponent in an Internet hate campaign against an individual based on her view of a tax and because she duffed up your geek..

You should stop soiling yourself so badly in public.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I agree with that but how many days would it be before Findlay fell out with Ed? Not many I suspect and he seems to be far more of a bruiser than Lamont.

Interesting times for SLAB whichever way it goes.
  • Options

He's trying to hound a woman out of her job for arguing with weird Ed!

How on earth is that calling it right?!?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    isam said:

"I wondered how our neutered, bootlicking, pro-government media would manage to turn David Cameron’s devastating personal and political defeat in Rochester into a disaster for Red Ed.

Piles of money, tankers laden with snake-oil, five visits by the Prime Minister himself, even a frantic plea for Guardian readers’ votes, could not save the Tories from what I reckon was the worst defeat in their entire history, losing a seat to a party which really believes in what the Tories pretend to believe in.

Yet you’d think the main event was the sacking of a Labour nobody by another nobody for doing nothing"

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

What worse than for example Crosby 1981 when a 19000 Tory majority became a 5000 vote Alliance one? And that Labour "nobody" on present polling could well be PM in 2015 in charge of a Labour led government. Not sure how that will further the progress of Hitchens and his little England dream.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I agree with that but how many days would it be before Findlay fell out with Ed? Not many I suspect and he seems to be far more of a bruiser than Lamont.

Falling out with Ed is unlikely to do him much harm in Scotland, indeed it could be a smart way of distancing SLAB from the Islington set.

• Options
    taffys said:

''Let's see how he reacts to his livelihood being threatened.''

To be honest, In think BJO's desperation to protect his ludicrously generous pension arrangements drive all his posts.

They are guaranteed thanks.

But have you not seen my posts about Oldies that cannot even by PB Tories be seen as srlf serving surely.

Waits 30 seconds
  • Options

I agree with this

Everything there was true before she embarrassed Weird Amid Bland, except for the bit about her actually embarrassing him.

So you're an active proponent in an Internet hate campaign against an individual based on her view of a tax and because she duffed up your geek..

You should stop soiling yourself so badly in public.
    BJO can't see the difference between CE's hounding of his victim and his and his fellow travellers hounding of MK.

Both are disgusting.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Falling out with Ed is unlikely to do him much harm in Scotland, indeed it could be a smart way of distancing SLAB from the Islington set.

Oh I agree it won't do him any harm. Ed has Boris like levels of charm and charisma in England compared with how he is viewed in Scotland. My point is that it will make Ed look even weaker. Because he will lose.
  • Options
    Norm said:

isam said:

"I wondered how our neutered, bootlicking, pro-government media would manage to turn David Cameron’s devastating personal and political defeat in Rochester into a disaster for Red Ed.

Piles of money, tankers laden with snake-oil, five visits by the Prime Minister himself, even a frantic plea for Guardian readers’ votes, could not save the Tories from what I reckon was the worst defeat in their entire history, losing a seat to a party which really believes in what the Tories pretend to believe in.

Yet you’d think the main event was the sacking of a Labour nobody by another nobody for doing nothing"

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/

What worse than for example Crosby 1981 when a 19000 Tory majority became a 5000 vote Alliance one? And that Labour "nobody" on present polling could well be PM in 2015 in charge of a Labour led government. Not sure how that will further the progress of Hitchens and his little England dream.
    Classic hyperbole from Peter Hitchens, who might just out-do all the other unhappy misery-guts on the far right.

There are some politicians and commentators for whom it's probably best just to laugh. Dennis Healey, Norman Tebbit, Tim Montgomerie, Peter Hitchens, Dan Hodges being some examples.
This discussion has been closed.