Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Swinney slump continues – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 8,174

Been out since lunch so not sure if we did this?
    https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1788960606134898962?s=19
    Rwanda plan backed 55 to 20
    Starmer ditching it in favour of......?
    Maybe a misstep. Definitely a misstep if flights start going

A bit weaselly worded by the Sun (who could have predicted?)..

'JL partners found 55 per cent of people are actually in favour of asylum seekers being "removed to their home country or to a safe country, such as Rwanda". '
    Ite definitely worded in a way that elicits support but the margin is fairly vast. Given Starmers plan involves only crack detectives from the sniff squad, being Liam Neeson and no removals it's flying in the face of the findings a bit. We will see what feeling the summer dinghies bring
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,620

Erm...if you read it carefully, that is not backing for the "Rwanda Scheme" as it operates. The poll shows 55% support for asylum seekers being "removed to their home country or to a safe country, such as Rwanda". "Such as Rwanda" is doing a lot of work there
  • Options
    Cookie said:

England coach Brendon McCullum has held talks with leading wicket-taker James Anderson about the veteran bowler's future.

McCullum told Anderson, who turns 42 in July, that England are looking to build a bowling attack for the future.

It is not clear whether Anderson has played his last Test or if he will get a farewell this summer.

Anderson has taken 700 wickets in 187 Tests - the most by any pace bowler in Test history.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cll4e9qlm7ro

Let him stay until he's overtaken Shane Warne.
    It's Muttiah or bust for Sir James
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,833

We Think find a YouGov style bounce and confirm the reform sink back trend

Labour up 3 points.

🔴 Lab 47% (+3)
    🔵 Con 24% (NC)
    🟠 LD 9% (+1)
    ⚪ Ref 10% (-3)
    🟢 Green 6% (NC)
    🟡 SNP 2% (NC)

Broken, sleazy Reform on the slide!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,725
    The owner of the AirBnB I’ve been in this week, which is a house by a lake surrounded by a few fields (which you could see at the bottom of the photo I posted this morning taken from up on the hill), has just dropped by to give me a bottle of sparking, by way of goodbye, since I move on tomorrow.

Since we’ve had a guy out in his tractor all day ploughing the fields around the house, I ask her what crop they’ll be planting, thinking it will be some edible vegetable, since the soil here looks very good. She said it will be flowers for the bees. After a bit of back and forth in my intermediate Italian, I establish that they don’t actually have any bees, but are doing it for the general good of those in the area that do. Isn’t that remarkable? That guy’s been working all day, and presumably will be out another day sowing seed, and there’s no financial payback at all (unless somehow the beekeepers are paying them to do this?).
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,396
    Leon said:

I can’t get my head around rune-using Anglo Saxons from 7th century dark age England ending up working as priests in Lombardic puglia

How the F? And what a journey. Maybe the dark ages weren’t quite as dark as we think

How about the Amesbury Archer?

Proved (somehow) to have spent his childhood in the Alps

I think there have been serious walkers about for millennia
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 48,287

'JL partners found 55 per cent of people are actually in favour of asylum seekers being "removed to their home country or to a safe country, such as Rwanda". '
    Ite definitely worded in a way that elicits support but the margin is fairly vast. Given Starmers plan involves only crack detectives from the sniff squad, being Liam Neeson and no removals it's flying in the face of the findings a bit. We will see what feeling the summer dinghies bring
    The good ship HMS Starmer could run aground on nasty reefs early in his prime ministerial voyage - if he fucks up Rwanda and the boats
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,325
    Leon said:

boulay said:

The reverse Midas touch goes on:

Adidas Samba sales sink after Sunak ‘ruined it for everyone’

Prime Minister apologised to fans of the trainers after he wore them to an interview

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/05/10/adidas-samba-trainer-sales-suffer-after-sunak-wears-pair/

I’d be more embarrassed by wearing the same trainers as the sort of wankers who get angry about a politician wearing the same shoes as them because they are like so cool and original and just ruined by Sunak and the millions of other unoriginal tossers.
    Yes quite. Who the fuck bases their footwear choice on the choices of the Prime Minister

That said i think any man over 30 wearing trainers outside some kind of physical context - sports, hiking, gym, major family outing, house moving, etc - is somewhat suspect
    Imagine some loser who has made millions in a successful career, got into top academic institutions, married a billionaire, been chancellor and PM of the UK by his mid forties wears the same trainer as you. It must be so dispiriting to those successful freelance writers who struggle to tout their opinion pieces and articles about wild swimming, living in their garrets to see such a failure making a fashion choice the same as theirs, and millions of other original style free-thinkers, and destroying their original look.

And agreed, trainers are for physical exercise and are totally inelegant otherwise and reflect the enshitification of style and infantilisation of adults’ dress.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,585
    Looks like Labour is heading for most Scottish MPs for the first time since 2010 and also most MSPs in 2026, making Sarwar FM and giving a Unionist majority at Holyrood
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Erm...if you read it carefully, that is not backing for the "Rwanda Scheme" as it operates. The poll shows 55% support for asylum seekers being "removed to their home country or to a safe country, such as Rwanda". "Such as Rwanda" is doing a lot of work there
    Well, a policy of removal is supported 55 to 22. I think we can assume given that Rwanda is specifically named that those polled are not opposed to the policy by the majority as given. There is a majority in favour of removal. Starmer today has not addressed that. As such, risky for him, but would want to see polling on 'flights versus Starmers plan' to see if it shifts the dial
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Oh go on. No one interested? Or is it too hard?

I’ll help. These are runic inscriptions. Yes RUNES. But who wrote them and why?

If you’re into history it’s a fabulously surprising answer

Here’s another one. There are several. Nullifico googlissimi!

THat's much clearer - I did wonder about runes but thought it's some prat called Hurrell or Hurren.

They'll be Danes or Orcadians en route to the Holy Land, and doing a bit if sightseeing/allying/plundering en route. Wonder if it's the same lot as in the Orkneyinga Saga, which is partly about just such an adventure holiday? It's a long time since I read i t, so no idea if the places match up. But you won't let me google.

Close but no cigarillo

The answer surprised me completely. 7th century

No googling it ruins the fun

Ok here’s a big clue. The first one looks less obviously runic - as you noticed. That’s because it incorporates Roman lettering styles albeit it is in runes… oooooh
    Too early for the Norse. Visigoths, then?
    Very good guesses but no

Incredibly - to me - these five runic inscriptions are five Anglo Saxons from England in the 7th century. Leofwin, Herraed, Hereberehct, etc. I wasn’t aware Anglo Saxons ever used runes? Apparently they did: it is thought these five men were Anglo Saxon churchmen working - at least temporarily - in the shrine. Some had training in Latin as well, it is thought, hence the Romaniaed runes

The 7th century!!! England would still have been partly pagan back then. And these men would have called themselves… what? Jutes? Saxons? Kentish?

https://durham-repository.worktribe.com/output/1306431/writing-on-the-wall-anglo-saxons-at-monte-santangelo-sul-gargano-puglia-and-the-spiritual-and-social-significance-of-graffiti
    Anglo Saxon runes are available free at Ruthwell (I was there a fortnight ago) on the Scottish side of the Solway just beyond Annan. This astonishing cross has not only magnificent sculptures but also a variant text in Runic script of lines 39-64 of the Dream of the Rood, one of the greatest of the Anglo Saxon poems (I read English so long ago that we had to study it in the original).

Less noomy than its sister cross at Bewcastle, but both are unmissable.

Yes Anglo Saxons used runes.
    I did medieval history A Level with an emphasis on England from 400-1066 so I don’t know why I forgot that Anglo Saxons used runes. I’ve always wanted to see those crosses!

But somehow I forgot. And yet today I was reminded in - of all places - a 1500 year old Christian shrine in southern Italy. I love travel

And now peace; perfect peace. And a glass of primitivo

• Options
    edited May 10

Updated the thread header with this poll, the Swinney slump continues

Largest Labour lead in Scotland with ANY polling company since June 2014.

Scotland Westminster VI (8-9 May):

Labour 38% (+5)
    SNP 31% (-1)
    Conservative 14% (-3)
    Lib Dem 8% (–)
    Reform 4% (-1)
    Green 4% (+2)
    Alba 1% (-1)
    Other 0% (–)

Changes +/- 6-7 April

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1788963297946984759

"Win the crowd and you will win your freedom!"
  • Options
    Leon said:

The good ship HMS Starmer could run aground on nasty reefs early in his prime ministerial voyage - if he fucks up Rwanda and the boats
    🍿 🍿 🍿
    The Labour OUT! Campaign has begun already
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 562
    DougSeal said:

True dat. I have travelled in Africa as a poor person and on the cheap, but with poor meaning having at least 1000x as much as the average African and with a white skin and UK passport meaning I have first world diplomatic muscle behind me. To a penniless brown deportee Rwanda is safe like Oświęcim in 1943 was safe. Seriously. That's why it works as a deterrent if it does.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,585
    Leon said:

Possibly, he is a decent man but also lacks charisma to get out of it if the economy goes south and he faces strikes and immigration problems, indeed he will be as dull a PM as May or Brown most likely. He even makes John Major look like an exciting PM
  • Options

Leon said:

I can’t get my head around rune-using Anglo Saxons from 7th century dark age England ending up working as priests in Lombardic puglia

How the F? And what a journey. Maybe the dark ages weren’t quite as dark as we think

This chap for example.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Coryat

And I think this is the book title Leon missed out on.

“ Coryat's Crudities: Hastily gobled up in Five Moneth's Travels”
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,521
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

THat's much clearer - I did wonder about runes but thought it's some prat called Hurrell or Hurren.

They'll be Danes or Orcadians en route to the Holy Land, and doing a bit if sightseeing/allying/plundering en route. Wonder if it's the same lot as in the Orkneyinga Saga, which is partly about just such an adventure holiday? It's a long time since I read i t, so no idea if the places match up. But you won't let me google.

Close but no cigarillo

Ok here’s a big clue. The first one looks less obviously runic - as you noticed. That’s because it incorporates Roman lettering styles albeit it is in runes… oooooh
    Very good guesses but no

Incredibly - to me - these five runic inscriptions are five Anglo Saxons from England in the 7th century. Leofwin, Herraed, Hereberehct, etc. I wasn’t aware Anglo Saxons ever used runes? Apparently they did: it is thought these five men were Anglo Saxon churchmen working - at least temporarily - in the shrine. Some had training in Latin as well, it is thought, hence the Romaniaed runes

The 7th century!!! England would still have been partly pagan back then. And these men would have called themselves… what? Jutes? Saxons? Kentish?

https://durham-repository.worktribe.com/output/1306431/writing-on-the-wall-anglo-saxons-at-monte-santangelo-sul-gargano-puglia-and-the-spiritual-and-social-significance-of-graffiti
    Damn! Should have though tof that. There is an OE poem describing the signs of the futhark (runic alphabet)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_rune_poem
    https://oldenglishpoetry.camden.rutgers.edu/the-rune-poem/

Very nice example of graffiti, though, right up htere with the runic graffiti in Maeshoew in Orkney (and IRC on a Byzantine marble lion now in Venice).
    Yes it’s brilliant. Also the famous runic graffiti carved by a bored Varangian guard at Hagia Sophia - but that’s 10th century and they were Norsemen so you kind of expect it. So this is MORE surprising and “English” and much older

Anything from the Dark Ages (so called) gives me a noomic shiver

I’m pretty sure I saw some apotropaic graffiti further up

It’s an amazing place. I thoroughly recommend it to PBers seeking an unusual holiday. The gargano peninsula. It is also notably cheap outside high summer. You’ll have it to yourself - tho it is chilly if sunny up in these hills under the scoured skies

Might have to plan a walk there some day
    Happy to advise. Its really cheap and seriously
    beautiful. Only Italians (and a few Germans) come here in numbers and they only come in high summer. Good food as well
    In the late 30s there were about 50 German anthropologists that decided to tip up in Iceland.
    Might have had ulterior motives: two obvious ones ...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,022
    Ok, now I'm worried about my little wedge on Biden...

Will Hutton
    @williamnhutton
    ·
    5h
    Trump to lose - my ( high risk ) view discussing This Time No Mistakes audio version with Alastair Campbell ⁦
    @campbellclaret

https://twitter.com/williamnhutton/status/1788900186938388774
  • Options

Leon said:

Yes. The Stonehenge exhibition at the BM - amazing

God bless the walkers of the world. They are nearly always nice people - walkers. Maybe sometimes a bit gauche or shy or twee - but nice. Can’t say the same for drivers and cyclists

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,205
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

Anglo Saxon runes are available free at Ruthwell (I was there a fortnight ago) on the Scottish side of the Solway just beyond Annan. This astonishing cross has not only magnificent sculptures but also a variant text in Runic script of lines 39-64 of the Dream of the Rood, one of the greatest of the Anglo Saxon poems (I read English so long ago that we had to study it in the original).

I did medieval history A Level with an emphasis on England from 400-1066 so I don’t know why I forgot that Anglo Saxons used runes. I’ve always wanted to see those crosses!

But somehow I forgot. And yet today I was reminded in - of all places - a 1500 year old Christian shrine in southern Italy. I love travel

Wine quiz, but I’m sure you already know the answer.

What popular grape variety was thought for decades to be unique to a small area of the New World but actually turns out to be Primitivo?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,796
    Only in Vegas. While having breakfast we witness Elvis on mobility scooter meeting two showgirls (that is being polite) and having a chat.

My first thoughts if I spoke to them would be along the lines of does your mother know you dress like this and what made you think that tattoo was a good idea?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Possibly, he is a decent man but also lacks charisma to get out of it if the economy goes south and he faces strikes and immigration problems, indeed he will be as dull a PM as May or Brown most likely. He even makes John Major look like an exciting PM
    Personality wise his closest analogue is possibly Clement Attlee. He’ll be hoping for a longer time in office.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,882
    . . . speaking of runes (as we all do) . . .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensington_Runestone
  • Options
    edited May 10
    TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

What popular grape variety was thought for decades to be unique to a small area of the New World but actually turns out to be Primitivo?
    Good one. I’ve no obvious instant idea without googling so - that’s good

Fuck. Hmm. Tricky. Zinfandel?

Edit to add: it doesn’t taste like primitivo tho. And I’ve no idea if Zinfandel is a new world grape

Otherwise I’d go for pinotage but I always thought that was an unpleasant invention of the saffers

I remember the OTHER PB Tim - also in wine - describing pinotage as tasting like “burnt condoms” and he had a point
  • Options
    edited May 10
    TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

I know that Zinfandel is actually Primitivo, but aren’t aware that it was ever thought to be unique to the New World.

The vines that actually are unique to the New World - which are actually a different grape genus from the one that makes all European wines - make disgusting wine, under such names as Norton and Concord, and were turned to by the early settlers when they failed to get European grape varieties to grow. If you were desperate for wine, you might settle for them, but they usually taste most peculiar indeed.

Interestingly, Primitivo/Zinfandel produced tons of cheap red plonk for the gold rush diggers, but afterwards was mostly forgotten about in the US. It was by accident that during the 1970s a wine maker’s fermentation went wrong, but he thought he might be able to sell the light pale wine he ended up with, and so the ‘White Zinfandel’ craze swept across the US, mirroring the craze for Mateus Rose in Europe, filling the same spot of bringing non-wine drinkers to a drink that could, just about, be considered as wine. That rescued the grape from obscurity and in later decades other US winemakers set about making serious red wines from it, as they’ve always been doing in the part of Italy where Leon is.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Only in Vegas. While having breakfast we witness Elvis on mobility scooter meeting two showgirls (that is being polite) and having a chat.

My first thoughts if I spoke to them would be along the lines of does your mother know you dress like this and what made you think that tattoo was a good idea?

Out of interest, what makes you think you have the right to ask either question?
  • Options
    kjh said:

I thought you were in New York? In your answer to your own quiz?
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 11,269
    Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

The gap between those who want Scotland to be an independeng country and those expecting to vote SNP is quite remarkable, given it is essentially that party's USP.

There are two other pro-Independence parties, and we're nearly ten years from the Referendum now, with the prospect of a future referendum currently feeling remote, and the SNP not presenting any realistic strategy for achieving independence that people could vote for.

So you could see why someone's support for Independence might begin to feel somewhat academic, and not the sole driver of voting intention, as it was in 2015, say.

But that support for Independence hasn't gone away, and it's one capable politician away from reinvigorating the SNP.
    It's driven partially by what's happening down south. The emergence of a sensible Labour Party down south and the seeming likelihood of the Tories taking one in their hoop when the election comes around is giving people a sense that independence isn't the only route out of the stupidity that's dominated Westminster for a long time. It's Starmer with the weight of the union on his shoulders right now, before he's even in power. The best polls Yes has had in recent years were in the immediate wake of Truss. Sunak has proved less repugnant to Scots, and Starmer better still.
    You'll see Yes drop further in the Labour honeymoon, should that come. You'll see Yes consistently below 40% for some months, barring events.
    Is that 40% excluding don't know?
    Consistently below 40% including don't knows is my prediction. The recent average is about 43% yes and 47% no. I'm predicting a (temporary?) 5pp swing away from yes for, let's say, at least six months after a Labour majority, should that election result come about.
    Mm. How far can SKS go to the right, though, before that has an effect? He's practically bounding along Peacehaven beach with binoculars and phoning up Border Force every time he sees a bairn on a blow-up replica of DougSeal.
    This is why I'm talking about the honeymoon effect. Right now nothing gets pinned to SKS because he's not actually responsible for anything. People in Scotland are fucking sick of the Tories and there's a hope that things will be so much better because SKS is relatively sensible and to the extent there's any drama he seems to be on the "sensible" side.
    There will be a palpable sense of release and relief when the Tories are finally gone and the "let's get away from this English mess" aspect of independence will decline to rock bottom levels. Of course, there are other drivers of Indy intention that will be less affected by Westminster honeymoons.

I'm not making firm predictions for what happens after the honeymoon - let's see if I'm right even on the first bit - but my hunch is that as mistakes and cynicism start to pile up, which is a given for all governments, those numbers will creep back up. Let's see.

If asked to predict when in this decade the lowest Yes number will come, I would guess about May 2025. Low so far is June 2023.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,028
    Eurovision betting has seen a mild swing back. Croatia is again odds-on, and Israel back to 7/2 (still shorter than they started the day).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

I know that Zinfandel is actually Primitivo, but aren’t aware that it was ever thought to be unique to the New World.

The vines that actually are unique to the New World - which are actually a different grape genus from the one that makes all European wines - make disgusting wine, under such names as Norton and Concord, and were turned to by the early settlers when they failed to get European grape varieties to grow. If you were desperate for wine, you might settle for them, but they usually taste most peculiar indeed.
    Vitis vinifera is proper old world I believe so the theory would have to be that zinfandel was a sport arising post Columbus.
  • Options
    edited May 10
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

Interestingly, Primitivo/Zinfandel produced tons of cheap red plonk for the gold rush diggers, but afterwards was mostly forgotten about in the US. It was by accident that during the 1970s a wine maker’s fermentation went wrong, but he thought he might be able to sell the light pale wine he ended up with, and so the ‘White Zinfandel’ craze swept across the US, mirroring the craze for Mateus Rose in Europe, filling the same spot of bringing non-wine drinkers to a drink that could, just about, be considered as wine. That rescued the grape from obscurity and in later decades other US winemakers set about making serious red wines from it, as they’ve always been doing in the part of Italy where Leon is.
    It’s now believed that the grape originates from Croatia, and is called Primitivo because it’s the first to ripen, from late August. The developing popularity of well-made red Primitivo in the US during the early 2000s rescued the grape from obscurity and fed back to Italy, where it’s now more highly regarded. It makes medium tannin, relatively acidic red wines, that go well with many Italian meat dishes - just the sort of wines that Italians like.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,317
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Personality wise his closest analogue is possibly Clement Attlee. He’ll be hoping for a longer time in office.
    With a fraction of the impact.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,455
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

There is some outstanding red Zinfandel out there, if you know where to look.
  • Options
    Warning: this is from a notoriously pro-Putin account

Caveat: despite that, it is sometimes accurate. If this is true then Ukraine is in trouble

“The Ukrainian command is in a panic. The Russians gathered a force of 50,000 soldiers for the first wave of the offensive. It is obvious that after the first wave of attacks, there will be new ones. In total, it is planned that up to two hundred thousand soldiers will be deployed in the direction of Kharkiv by the end of this year. Everything depends on the success and progress of the Russian soldiers.”

Everything is ready for the offensive operation in Kharkiv.”

https://x.com/sprinter00000/status/1788983793455436184?s=46
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

The gap between those who want Scotland to be an independeng country and those expecting to vote SNP is quite remarkable, given it is essentially that party's USP.

There are two other pro-Independence parties, and we're nearly ten years from the Referendum now, with the prospect of a future referendum currently feeling remote, and the SNP not presenting any realistic strategy for achieving independence that people could vote for.

So you could see why someone's support for Independence might begin to feel somewhat academic, and not the sole driver of voting intention, as it was in 2015, say.

But that support for Independence hasn't gone away, and it's one capable politician away from reinvigorating the SNP.
    It's driven partially by what's happening down south. The emergence of a sensible Labour Party down south and the seeming likelihood of the Tories taking one in their hoop when the election comes around is giving people a sense that independence isn't the only route out of the stupidity that's dominated Westminster for a long time. It's Starmer with the weight of the union on his shoulders right now, before he's even in power. The best polls Yes has had in recent years were in the immediate wake of Truss. Sunak has proved less repugnant to Scots, and Starmer better still.
    You'll see Yes drop further in the Labour honeymoon, should that come. You'll see Yes consistently below 40% for some months, barring events.
    Consistently below 40% including don't knows is my prediction. The recent average is about 43% yes and 47% no. I'm predicting a (temporary?) 5pp swing away from yes for, let's say, at least six months after a Labour majority, should that election result come about.
    Mm. How far can SKS go to the right, though, before that has an effect? He's practically bounding along Peacehaven beach with binoculars and phoning up Border Force every time he sees a bairn on a blow-up replica of DougSeal.
    This is why I'm talking about the honeymoon effect. Right now nothing gets pinned to SKS because he's not actually responsible for anything. People in Scotland are fucking sick of the Tories and there's a hope that things will be so much better because SKS is relatively sensible and to the extent there's any drama he seems to be on the "sensible" side.
    There will be a palpable sense of release and relief when the Tories are finally gone and the "let's get away from this English mess" aspect of independence will decline to rock bottom levels. Of course, there are other drivers of Indy intention that will be less affected by Westminster honeymoons.

I'm not making firm predictions for what happens after the honeymoon - let's see if I'm right even on the first bit - but my hunch is that as mistakes and cynicism start to pile up, which is a given for all governments, those numbers will creep back up. Let's see.

If asked to predict when in this decade the lowest Yes number will come, I would guess about May 2025. Low so far is June 2023.
    Hey, Farooq is back! Nice to see you again!
  • Options
    megasaur said:

kjh said:

Out of interest, what makes you think you have the right to ask either question?
    What a prat. It was a joke. Of course I wouldn't. Get a life.
  • Options

Eurovision betting has seen a mild swing back. Croatia is again odds-on, and Israel back to 7/2 (still shorter than they started the day).

It would be wonderful is Israel win and then host the show in Gaza next year so all the Palestinian/Eurovision lovers can get a taste of the intolerance they are supporting. They love the usual Eurovision demographic in Gaza.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Isn't it just about basic competence and trust. People who would quite like independence have to live in Scotland and be governed by the SNP - and recent years have seen a string of pratfalls and policies a chunk of the independence-minded don't like.

So they switch to Labour or another party until the SNP gets its act together and shows it can be trusted again.
    Yes, what happens in Scotland is of course a driver, definitely. I'm certainly not saying ignore that side of it. I'm just identifying a future effect that is easily predictable now, around the ousting of the Tories. English Toryism is a driver, and most people think they're going to be out of power in under a year, so plan your predictions accordingly.
    Conversely, if you expect the Tories to do very well in the election, I think you can expect the Yes intention to drift up again.

Right now, the Tories are a dead weight on unionist referendum voting intention.
  • Options
    boulay said:

It would be wonderful is Israel win and then host the show in Gaza next year so all the Palestinian/Eurovision lovers can get a taste of the intolerance they are supporting. They love the usual Eurovision demographic in Gaza.
    Indeed. Killing 35,000 Palestinians is pretty intolerant.
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,678

French likely to hoover up the jury vote, so don't write them off.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

I find most “serious” primitivos too dark and dense. It is highly fashionable now but it’s not really for me. It also doesn’t especially suit the Mezzogiorno climate. Unless you are up in the gargano hills (as I am)

I’m also fairly immune to the charms of Zinfandel, for that matter

Of the classics I like a strong fruity Aussie Shiraz, one of the new argie malbecs, or a great Rhone valley blend

• Options
    Leon said:

Caveat: despite that, it is sometimes accurate. If this is true then Ukraine is in trouble

“The Ukrainian command is in a panic. The Russians gathered a force of 50,000 soldiers for the first wave of the offensive. It is obvious that after the first wave of attacks, there will be new ones. In total, it is planned that up to two hundred thousand soldiers will be destroyed in the direction of Kharkiv by the end of this year. Everything depends on the success and progress of the Russian soldiers.”

FTFY
  • Options

Farooq said:

Carnyx said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Cookie said:

Hey, Farooq is back! Nice to see you again!
    Hi Sunil, just for today because of a confluence of events leaving me with absolutely nothing to do today. I'm not sticking around.
  • Options

French likely to hoover up the jury vote, so don't write them off.
    Despite writing earlier that the French song is worse than ours it will still beat us because there is a nostalgic love for French romantic crooning type songs. It’s shit but if you can’t be novel then be nostalgic.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,455
    edited May 10
    Leon said:

“The Ukrainian command is in a panic. The Russians gathered a force of 50,000 soldiers for the first wave of the offensive. It is obvious that after the first wave of attacks, there will be new ones. In total, it is planned that up to two hundred thousand soldiers will be deployed in the direction of Kharkiv by the end of this year. Everything depends on the success and progress of the Russian soldiers.”

Oh, I'm sure that's correct. Russia is massing its forces for an all attack, and to capture Kharkov.

The thing is, so far massed attacks - from both sides - have been horrendously costly for the attackers. Whenever Ukraine has tried to go on the offensive, even with modern Western tanks, they've failed. And when Russia has throw massive troops at an offensive, they've taken terrible casualties. Just like in the First World War, if you dig in, you're very difficult to overrrun.

If Russia breaks the mold this time, and successfully takes Kharkov, it's possible Ukraine folds. It's also possible that Russia will find themselves taking terrible casualties and having "shot their bolt". Where are the next 200,000 troops for Russia if this offensive only captures a few tens of miles of territory?
  • Options
    kjh said:

And this is supposed to make you look good?
  • Options
    edited May 10

boulay said:

How many Hamas terrorists/rapists/murderers do you think it would be acceptable for Israel to kill?

And how many of their captive, innocent civilians do you think would be acceptable collateral in that context?

Or do you really believe that Israel should only go for about a thousand of them, in order to keep Sunal Jazeera's barchart roughly equal?
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,620
    edited May 10
    The only things I know about Eurovision are the ins and outs of the UK’s entry in 2007.

I’m a Scooch Expert.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Gaza is a pretty mess and Hamas are scum, but that's besides the point. You can stand opposed to the brutalisation of a people without endorsing the regime in charge of them.

If Israel is doing ethnic cleansing (and I don't intend to get into the weeds on this), then you're allowed to say that it's wrong without it being an endorsement of Hamas's genocidal aims.
  • Options

kjh said:

Knowing nothing about the poster, I am guessing that possible comebacks would be Why are you wearing a tweed jacket and tie in Nevada, and How many decades since you could sustain an erection without online medication?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

I'm intrigued @Leon . I didn't answer it, unless I have been hacked.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The only thing I know about Eurovision are the ins and outs of the UK’s entry in 2007.

I’m a Scooch Expert.

Scooch are the UK's best ever entry! OK, they didn't score well on the night, true, but "Flying The Flag" is quintessential Eurovision! Still in my head after 17 years!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT6yOIC6ihI&t=58s

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

I sort of get the appeal of primitivo / Zin but it’s not for me. Even when made in an old world style it’s too jammy.

To Ian’s point on native varieties it was never thought to be a native North American vine (vitis riparia) but assumed to be an obscure vinifera grape that nobody grew in the old world.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

The only things I know about Eurovision are the ins and outs of the UK’s entry in 2007.

I’m a Scooch Expert.

You need to decide if you are a serious poster or a wannabe comic, the time’s arrived for making your mind up.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

boulay said:

Gaza is a pretty mess and Hamas are scum, but that's besides the point. You can stand opposed to the brutalisation of a people without endorsing the regime in charge of them.

If Israel is doing ethnic cleansing (and I don't intend to get into the weeds on this), then you're allowed to say that it's wrong without it being an endorsement of Hamas's genocidal aims.
    You are correct, I’m just being a bit of an arse today. Hangover and all that.
  • Options

boulay said:

How many Hamas terrorists/rapists/murderers do you think it would be acceptable for Israel to kill?

And how many of their captive, innocent civilians do you think would be acceptable collateral in that context?

Or do you really believe that Israel should only go for about a thousand of them, in order to keep Sunal Jazeera's barchart roughly equal?
    Even the US State Department believes the Hamas figures for dead and wounded are an UNDERestimate, due to bodies lying under the rubble produced by Israeli bombs and shells.
  • Options

kjh said:

It is a good job I didn't post my third thought as otherwise @megasaur would have had kittens because it was along the lines of g strings and the need for dieting.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

The only thing I know about Eurovision are the ins and outs of the UK’s entry in 2007.

I’m a Scooch Expert.

Scooch are the UK's best ever entry! OK, they didn't score well on the night, true, but "Flying The Flag" is quintessential Eurovision! Still in my head after 17 years!

Natalie Elphickes outfit Wednesday was a tribute to Scooch apparently.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

I find most “serious” primitivos too dark and dense. It is highly fashionable now but it’s not really for me. It also doesn’t especially suit the Mezzogiorno climate. Unless you are up in the gargano hills (as I am)

Of the classics I like a strong fruity Aussie Shiraz, one of the new argie malbecs, or a great Rhone valley blend

There speaks a drinker who knocks back a bottle without food.

The Italians around you know that wine is to be enjoyed with a meal, and the Italian styles of wine are almost always too acidic to drink when not eating.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Fair enough, maybe i was hallucinating during my ENORMOUS pilgrimage

Anyway i guessed Vegas so I guessed right so that means I guessed Vegas right and Zinfandel right and I WIN PB TODAY
  • Options
    boulay said:

DougSeal said:

I’m a Scooch Expert.

You need to decide if you are a serious poster or a wannabe comic, the time’s arrived for making your mind up.
    Careful, or you'll end up his Puppet On A String!
  • Options
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

Get some rehydration salts down you, best hangover cure there is
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,377
    DougSeal said:

At the risk of being accused of Scotch Expertry by our resident social media policeman does this not reflect more the circumstances of his predecessor’s departure than the shortcomings of the incumbent?

NO he is a fanny
  • Options
    TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

I sort of get the appeal of primitivo / Zin but it’s not for me. Even when made in an old world style it’s too jammy.

To Ian’s point on native varieties it was never thought to be a native North American vine (vitis riparia) but assumed to be an obscure vinifera grape that nobody grew in the old world.
    People got more interested in where it came from when the White Zinfandel craze subsided and serious reds started being made in the early 1990s. It was settled conclusively by genetic testing.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

I’m a Scooch Expert.

Natalie Elphickes outfit Wednesday was a tribute to Scooch apparently.
    "Something to suck on during landing, sir?" :lol:
  • Options

boulay said:

Even the US State Department believes the Hamas figures for dead and wounded are an UNDERestimate, due to bodies lying under the rubble produced by Israeli bombs and shells.
    You haven't answered any of my questions

How many Hamas rapist murderers dead would be too many, in your view?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Oh, I'm sure that's correct. Russia is massing its forces for an all attack, and to capture Kharkov.

The thing is, so far massed attacks - from both sides - have been horrendously costly for the attackers. Whenever Ukraine has tried to go on the offensive, even with modern Western tanks, they've failed. And when Russia has throw massive troops at an offensive, they've taken terrible casualties. Just like in the First World War, if you dig in, you're very difficult to overrrun.

If Russia breaks the mold this time, and successfully takes Kharkov, it's possible Ukraine folds. It's also possible that Russia will find themselves taking terrible casualties and having "shot their bolt". Where are the next 200,000 troops for Russia if this offensive only captures a few tens of miles of territory?
    Yes, fair

The appearance of a solitary T34 at the May Day parade because Russia has “run out of tanks” is not a good sign either - if it is true, which we do now know

Perhaps most interesting about this tweet is that it implies Russia really is committed to winning this war, does not want peace, and will lose 500,000 men to do it. What a grotesque tragedy in all departments. A million could die in this fatuous war
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    edited May 10

DougSeal said:

Well, a policy of removal is supported 55 to 22. I think we can assume given that Rwanda is specifically named that those polled are not opposed to the policy by the majority as given. There is a majority in favour of removal. Starmer today has not addressed that. As such, risky for him, but would want to see polling on 'flights versus Starmers plan' to see if it shifts the dial
    99% of people won't have the first clue what Starmer's plan is. And it doesn't matter what it is - the average person doesn't follow that sort of detail.

In contrast, if a plane actually takes off to Rwanda on TV that is one of the few things that will cut through with the public.

Now my own view is it's still pretty unlikely a plane will take off to Rwanda pre General Election - because some Court somewhere will stop it or Civil Servants will all refuse to process people or whatever.

But at the same time, this does feel high risk for Starmer. Because if the unlikely event of a plane going were to happen that will cut through with the public. And if Starmer has said he will stop flights that would then be seriously damaging for him.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

It is a good job I didn't post my third thought as otherwise @megasaur would have had kittens because it was along the lines of g strings and the need for dieting.
    Hole, dig.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

Donkeys said:

Israeli ambassador to the UN Gilad Erdan has today spoken against the proposal to welcome Palestine as a UN member state. When he addressed the countries that support the proposal, can you guess which emotion he referred to? What about which WW2 political leader?

That's right. "Today", he declared, "You are about to (...) advance the establishment of a Palestinian terror state, which will be led by the Hitler of our times."

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2024/5/10/israels-war-on-gaza-live-aid-operation-completely-crippled-amid-attacks?update=2892034

But according to the definition of "anti-Semitism" written by the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance - adopted by Britain's three major political parties, as well as the British government - it's "anti-Semitic" to compare "contemporary Israeli policy" to "that of the Nazis".

So the Hitler emulators are calling the resistance to their Hitlerism horrible types who are just like Hitler, while painting anybody who says they themselves are like Hitler as...also just like Hitler.

What does this guy who died in the 1940s have to do with anything?

Ever get the feeling you are being treated like an absolute cretin by a bunch of hypocritical lying c***s?

Have you heard of Aribet Heim, Alfred Zingler, Johann von Leers, Wilhelm Boerner or Franz Bartel?

Actual, bona fide members of the actual Nazi party, who were actually employed by Arab nations after the war to help indoctrinate their people with real Jew killing hate
    Who was it who indoctrinated the IDF with real Arab-killing hate?
    The Arabs. Whatever Israel's sins, the Arabs have been really rotten neighbours. (Perhaps that is showing signs of change though)
    But the Israelis have killed far more Arabs than the Arabs have killed Jews.

Since 2008, Hamas have killed 2,000 Israelis (including 7/10, natch), but the Israelis have killed over 40,000 Arabs (including the post-7/10 bombardment).

Pre-7/10, the Israelis killed 6,300 Arabs, while Hamas killed only 310 Jews (ie. from Jan 2008 to Sept 2023).

(Source - Wikipedia)
    Of course, but the Arab's intent was very much the other way.

Hamas value their own people at about 100 to one Israeli. Nothing condemns them more effectively than such callous nonsense. A Palestinian is much the same as an Israeli.
    Just means they are not very good at it
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,146
    On the bus to the Toon to drink in the sun to the dying days of this Tory government. Glorious.
  • Options
    megasaur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hole, dig.
    That is what g-strings can do.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

The Italians around you know that wine is to be enjoyed with a meal, and the Italian styles of wine are almost always too acidic to drink when not eating.

Yes, probably true. Also I drink much MORE than them, they are such lightweights
  • Options

boulay said:

You forget that 1,000 of the Hamas Terrorists were actually killed by the IDF on 7/10 itself.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Anyway i guessed Vegas so I guessed right so that means I guessed Vegas right and Zinfandel right and I WIN PB TODAY
    'Twas @noneoftheabove who replied to you with New York
  • Options
    megasaur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hole, dig.
    Similarly. Prat. Prude. Someone who doesn't understand a joke when he sees one. As I said get a life.

If you don't I understand the difference between a joke and real life you are really sad.
  • Options
    boulay said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hole, dig.
    Not a thing I would expect a bloke to know. Unless you are a Freddieite?
  • Options
    megasaur said:

boulay said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hole, dig.
    Not a thing I would expect a bloke to know. Unless you are a Freddieite?
    Would I call myself Boulay if I was a commoner from the People’s republic of Freddy’s? I was a C.
  • Options

I’ve been given to understand by more tissue skinned PBers that my occasional barb has had a chilling effect on Scotch commentary on here. Certainly if there is one thing missing on PB it’s a surfeit of opinions on Scotland from those not governed by Scotland. I just want to make it clear that no one should feel restrained on making such comments just as I will feel free to describe them as I wish. Let free speech reign..

Did you never consider that your endlessly repeated McBarbarella of barbs, basically a short version of "what do you, a non Scot, know about Scotland, and how dare you pretend you do", might be a bit off-putting in the end?
    Someone has a stone in their walking shoe today, no need to get your panties in a bunch
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Yep you guessed right, although it wasn't exactly mastermind stuff. Funnily enough the best part so far is seeing hummingbirds. Off to Death Valley tomorrow and the Grand Canyon later. I have booked the helicopter ride on your advice.

Although we often don't agree on the woke stuff the like of @megasaur could turn me. Honestly you can't even make a mildly inappropriate joke these days as far as some people are concerned.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,429

On the bus to the Toon to drink in the sun to the dying days of this Tory government. Glorious.

Interesting. I am enjoying and toasting it whilst it lasts.

A Labour government fills me with nothing but horror.

Horror.
  • Options
    edited May 10

boulay said:

You forget that 1,000 of the Hamas Terrorists were actually killed by the IDF on 7/10 itself.
    I didn't forget that

You just don't want to say how many Hamas rapists and murderers you'd want to save in that hypothetical situation

Because you think Israel killed enough of them before October 7th, according to your barchart

You think that Hamas's actions were perfectly proportionate, given the Israelis' previous brutality towards them

Or..

If you don't, answer the question

How many Hamas rapists and murderers is it acceptable for Israel to kill?
  • Options
    kjh said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hole, dig.
    Similarly. Prat. Prude. Someone who doesn't understand a joke when he sees one. As I said get a life.

If you don't I understand the difference between a joke and real life you are really sad.
    What did you use to say about personal abuse?
  • Options

boulay said:

I didn't forget that

You just don't want to say how many Hamas rapists and murderers you'd want to save in that hypothetical situation

Because you think Israel killed enough of them before October 7th, according to your barchart

You think that Hamas's actions were perfectly proportionate, given the Israelis' previous brutality towards them

Or..

If you don't, answer the question

How many Hamas rapists and murderers is it acceptable for Israel to kill?
    How many innocent Palestinians do you want Israel to kill?
  • Options

I’ve been given to understand by more tissue skinned PBers that my occasional barb has had a chilling effect on Scotch commentary on here. Certainly if there is one thing missing on PB it’s a surfeit of opinions on Scotland from those not governed by Scotland. I just want to make it clear that no one should feel restrained on making such comments just as I will feel free to describe them as I wish. Let free speech reign..

Did you never consider that your endlessly repeated McBarbarella of barbs, basically a short version of "what do you, a non Scot, know about Scotland, and how dare you pretend you do", might be a bit off-putting in the end?
    I fully support your choice to weigh in on any subject you feel like. To be honest, your views on Scotland are no more ignorant than any of your other views, so I don't know why anyone would single them out.
  • Options
    edited May 10
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

Yes, probably true. Also I drink much MORE than them, they are such lightweights
    Primitivo is not a classic Italian grape though. It’s lower acidity, higher sugar and alcohol and not really a food wine.

The acidic Italian red variety and style Ian is thinking of is Sangiovese, as are a few others like Montepulciano and Barbera, but Nebbiolo and Lagrein are fairly low acid and don’t need to be drunk with food either. Nor does Nero d’Avola, which I love (and is similar to Saperavi).

Oh plus Cannonau from Sardinia - good with or without food.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,994

Labour up 3 points.

🔴 Lab 47% (+3)
    🔵 Con 24% (NC)
    🟠 LD 9% (+1)
    ⚪ Ref 10% (-3)
    🟢 Green 6% (NC)
    🟡 SNP 2% (NC)

Back in the day UKIP seemed to be something of a stepping stone for previously tribal Labour voters to vote Tory. Could something similar in reverse be happening with Reform?
  • Options
    edited May 10
    malcolmg said:

Someone has a stone in their walking shoe today, no need to get your panties in a bunch
    I find yoondivvie's posts exceptionally tedious

Especially his pictures of randoms' tweets

He came on here with an ad hom about tissue skinned posters

I don't care if he calls me a Scotch Expert (I'd be quite flattered, given how much I enjoy a Single Malt)

But he was being a prick, and pricks need blunting
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,483
    boulay said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

It would be rather funny if she won (probably middle of the pack IMV) though as it will annoy exactly those who need to be annoyed and told where to go. I.e. not those who are making rational and justified criticisms of Israel's government and its actions, but those who think spitting bile-filled invective at a young Israeli woman such that she requires an armed escort is the way to get their point across and makes them the good guys.

It's always been a tragedy for the pro-Palestinian movement that its more rational wing can't separate itself from the antisemitic hatred and conspiracism of some of its loudest voices.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

At the risk of being accused of Scotch Expertry by our resident social media policeman does this not reflect more the circumstances of his predecessor’s departure than the shortcomings of the incumbent?

NO he is a fanny
    Leon said:

They are approaching 500K dead and will increase that greatly around Kharkiv. 50,000 will be nowhere near enough for Kharkiv.
  • Options

Labour up 3 points.

🔴 Lab 47% (+3)
    🔵 Con 24% (NC)
    🟠 LD 9% (+1)
    ⚪ Ref 10% (-3)
    🟢 Green 6% (NC)
    🟡 SNP 2% (NC)

Back in the day UKIP seemed to be something of a stepping stone for previously tribal Labour voters to vote Tory. Could something similar in reverse be happening with Reform?
    That. Is actually. A very intriguing thought.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,028
    edited May 10
    Revealed: How the Tories blew the London mayoral election
    Tory party grandees and activists have admitted that a “negative” campaign, the lack of a “knockout” candidate and “ruthless” Labour targeting of Lib-Dem and Green voters made it impossible for Ms Hall to win. Other reasons included:-

The lack of a positive message.
    Infighting among candidates vying for the Tory mayoral nomination.
    A lack of campaign funds for Ms Hall and a “late” manifesto.
    Amateur “party apparatchiks” put in charge of the shortlisting of candidates.
    The failure to include Tory MP Paul Scully on the shortlist.
    The decision not to restart the search for a mayoral candidate.
    Making the Ulez central to Ms Hall’s campaign.
    Ms Hall being selected despite some MPs believing she was not good enough.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/london-mayoral-election-what-went-wrong-susan-hall-conservatives-sadiq-khan-victory-b1156913.html
  • Options
    MikeL said:

DougSeal said:

99% of people won't have the first clue what Starmer's plan is. And it doesn't matter what it is - the average person doesn't follow that sort of detail.

In contrast, if a plane actually takes off to Rwanda on TV that is one of the few things that will cut through with the public.

Now my own view is it's still pretty unlikely a plane will take off to Rwanda pre General Election - because some Court somewhere will stop it or Civil Servants will all refuse to process people or whatever.

But at the same time, this does feel high risk for Starmer. Because if the unlikely event of a plane going were to happen that will cut through with the public. And if Starmer has said he will stop flights that would then be seriously damaging for him.
    What are you talking about?

Starmer is going to use MI5 to stop them. *MI5*. And special super anti-terrorist powers.

Sir Harry Pearce KBE will no doubt watch things regularly whilst Tom Quinn mopes about Kent and the Pas de Calais looking intensely purposeful. A few extra Union Jacks will be flown about too for good measure.

It will turn the tide.

• Options
    TimS said:

Labour up 3 points.

🔴 Lab 47% (+3)
    🔵 Con 24% (NC)
    🟠 LD 9% (+1)
    ⚪ Ref 10% (-3)
    🟢 Green 6% (NC)
    🟡 SNP 2% (NC)

So people go Con > Ref > Lab ??
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Close but no cigarillo

Very good guesses but no

A bottle is only for apperitifs.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,848

MikeL said:

DougSeal said:

Starmer is going to use MI5 to stop them. *MI5*. And special super anti-terrorist powers.

Sir Harry Pearce KBE will no doubt watch things regularly whilst Tom Quinn mopes about Kent and the Pas de Calais looking intensely purposeful. A few extra Union Jacks will be flown about too for good measure.

It will turn the tide.

It's pathetic. 'Set the police on them' is his solution. Silly turd.
  • Options
    kjh said:

megasaur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Hole, dig.

You are in a foreign country. You have identified two young women as prostitutes because they are young women, and you are fantasizing about intrusively questioning them about their mothers and their skin decoration. Thank god for normal blokes like you and I wish there were more like you
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,549
    Stunt guy is at it again, Banksy should sue (all proceeds to Gaza relief of course).

https://x.com/saulstaniforth/status/1788960736795856937?s=46&t=fJymV-V84rexmlQMLXHHJQ
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 720

TimS said:

Labour up 3 points.

🔴 Lab 47% (+3)
    🔵 Con 24% (NC)
    🟠 LD 9% (+1)
    ⚪ Ref 10% (-3)
    🟢 Green 6% (NC)
    🟡 SNP 2% (NC)

So people go Con > Ref > Lab ??
    Possible, if people thought that Conservatives are just incompetent but Labour were too socialist and Starmer's convinced them that Labour are centrist enough to be safe to vote for. That would certainly be Starmer's hope.

We've already seen lots of people, particularly in the South West who moved directly from Lib Dem to UKIP so Reform to Labour doesn't seem unrealistic.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,309

MikeL said:

DougSeal said:

It will turn the tide.

Natalie will sort it out 👍