Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The National Theatre’s production “This House” – a taste of

Comments

• Options
    Charles said:

A man who'd served his time for the crime committed.

As a simple matter of fact, he hasn't. He was sentenced to five years in prison in 2012, so the fact that he is now out means he has not "served his time". He's been let off early, for no apparent reason.
    Its release on license after half the term.

Almost everyone gets this.

There's nothing odd about it.

In my view there's something extremely odd about the fact that our justice system is built on sytematic lies about how severe punishment is going to be. Regardless, early release has been denied in cases when there is no evidence of remorse.

A remorseful rapist doesn't post pictures of his victim on the night of the crime on the internet and invite people to "judge for themselves".
    I don't know all the details of the case, but I believe it turns on (a) whether consent was given and (b) whether consent was capable of being given.

Evans believes the answer to both questions was 'yes'. The jury certainly disagreed on (b) - I don't know what they thought on (a).

Assuming that there is no inconvertible evidence (eg medical) on question (b) then I have some sympathy for Evans not showing remorse if he genuinely doesn't believe he is guilty. The hounding, though, is ungentlemanly at the least
    If he has been found to be hounding the victim or encouraging the hounding in any way I would hope his licence is revoked and he's returned to prison.

Secondly, if BJO feels so strongly about the website he keeps talking about, a far better way of seeking justice for the victim would be to raise it with the appropriate probation service instead of signing some pathetic petition.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,909
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Startling finding in @YouGov poll of Sun readers today; 25% still vote Labour, but just 6% have Ed Mili as best PM http://t.co/ZnPV7MP0Xz

What is startling part of that.

I think that 400,000 LAB voters buy the SUN is strange.

I think I might start a petition to get them to buy the Mirror.

Any takers or biters?

It would be great to see @jonnyjimmy taking out a Sun+ subscription out of outrage

Off to watch GP.

Rosberg to win race Lewis to finish 2nd and take title most likely IMO.

Hope they don't have a Schumy/Hill type collision on lap1
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645
    edited November 2014
    Charles said:

Has it occurred to you that, in the UK, Parliament determines the guidelines for judges, and the courts impose punishments (once guilt is determined)?

The punishment imposed was a period of time in jail.

Not jail plus an inability to pursue his chosen career.

What you are advocating is lynch law and mob "justice". How vile.

Absolutely right Charles. We are either a society that values the rule of law or we aren't. This man served his time and should be allowed to continue with his life and career without being hounded by a mob over his every move no matter how much I disagree with it personally.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Still collecting signatures.

She has been very quiet since her £2m garage nonsense

You're trying to hound Myleene Klass out of a job just for showing up the weirdo who you want to make our Prime Minister?

Nice
    I along with 166,000 others hounded a rapist out of a potential job earlier this week.

Myleene is a minor celebrity who is totally out of touch with white van man isn't she?

You're trying to hound Myleene Klass out of a job just for showing up the weirdo who you want to make our Prime Minister?

Nice
    I along with 166,000 others hounded a rapist out of a potential job earlier this week.

Myleene is a minor celebrity who is totally out of touch with white van man isn't she?
    Has it occurred to you that, in the UK, Parliament determines the guidelines for judges, and the courts impose punishments (once guilt is determined)?

Evans shows no remorse. Until he does so he should not just go back to his job IMO.

His website still hounds the victim FFS she is on her 3rd name and location since Evans conviction.

Remind me what is vile
    I've answered this in another post, but if he doesn't think he is guilty, then you are asking him to lie.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Absolutely right Charles. We are either a society that values the rule of law or we aren't. This man served his time and should be allowed to continue with his life and career without being hounded by a mob over his every move no matter how much I disagree with it personally.
    Unlike his victim?
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Charles said:

As a simple matter of fact, he hasn't. He was sentenced to five years in prison in 2012, so the fact that he is now out means he has not "served his time". He's been let off early, for no apparent reason.

In my view there's something extremely odd about the fact that our justice system is built on sytematic lies about how severe punishment is going to be. Regardless, early release has been denied in cases when there is no evidence of remorse.

A remorseful rapist doesn't post pictures of his victim on the night of the crime on the internet and invite people to "judge for themselves".
    I don't know all the details of the case, but I believe it turns on (a) whether consent was given and (b) whether consent was capable of being given.

Evans believes the answer to both questions was 'yes'. The jury certainly disagreed on (b) - I don't know what they thought on (a).

Assuming that there is no inconvertible evidence (eg medical) on question (b) then I have some sympathy for Evans not showing remorse if he genuinely doesn't believe he is guilty. The hounding, though, is ungentlemanly at the least
    If he has been found to be hounding the victim or encouraging the hounding in any way I would hope his licence is revoked and he's returned to prison.

Secondly, if BJO feels so strongly about the website he keeps talking about, a far better way of seeking justice for the victim would be to raise it with the appropriate probation service instead of signing some pathetic petition.
    The 166.000 pathetic signatories were right and successful.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,645

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Unlike his victim?
    Who is hounding his victim? If there is any harassment I would hope the police deal with it swiftly. Advocating mob justice is absolutely disgusting.
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Charles said:

Answer my previous reply you numpty.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,916
    I agree with Charles. It is a very alien concept to be forced to apologize for something you are convinced you didn't do. Even looked at objectively it is questionable. There were only three people who know what happened and two of them say Evans was telling the truth
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045

Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Startling finding in @YouGov poll of Sun readers today; 25% still vote Labour, but just 6% have Ed Mili as best PM http://t.co/ZnPV7MP0Xz

What is startling part of that.

I think I might start a petition to get them to buy the Mirror.

Any takers or biters?

It would be great to see @jonnyjimmy taking out a Sun+ subscription out of outrage

Off to watch GP.

Rosberg to win race Lewis to finish 2nd and take title most likely IMO.

Hope they don't have a Schumy/Hill type collision on lap1
    Exactly John.

The Tory trolls* never seem to get it - wish they would all bugger off instead of forcing many legendary left wing posters to leave.

Sadly, I have to say there is more reason in the pages of ConHome than here - that says it all really...

*Trolls relate to those posters who just post right-wing vitriol 24/7 non-stop without even taking a pause to think...
  • Options
    Charles said:

If there is any doubt about b) it would be a tad ungentlemanly to jump on and get your sneering mates to take photographs through the window IMO.

To not discourage your supporters actions that have forced the victim to move and change her name twice is a little closer to vile rather than ungentlemanly IMO
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Charles said:

"Pathetic Numpties" do not have to answer.

Not even on PB.

Why was a successful campaign wrong

You don't have to answer.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/4902/obama-legacy-europe-israel

Wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction....Matthew 7:13-14
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Why?

Could it be they don't buy it for its political analysis, but for something else?

Careful - Miliband will have you (metaphorically) strung up for sneering......

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,171
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be Nicola's biggest fan but I must admit that the dismissals of MacAskill and Russell does indicate an ability to recognise crap and do something about it. The damage those two did under Salmond will take a long time to undo.

We can only hope there is a change of policies not just personnel.

David, we are in agreement for a change, just need Tories to get rid of Davidson and Johnstone and it will be a double
    Alison Johnstone the Green? Ruth Davidson is pretty talented but I don't see how she could manage that.

Ruth needs to tread the same path as the next SLAb leader and declare UDI establishing a Scottish Conservative party like the CSU. Scottish politics will never be the same post referendum and all of the unionist parties that want to survive have to recognise this.
    David , telling that even you a party stalwart don't even know the Johnstone I was talking about. I disagree on talented mind you for Davidson and as she is a London puppet it will be next leader who tries to really revive the Tories.
    They better hurry up though or they will miss the bus completely.
    Sorry Malcolm I only have a limited interest in local government.
    So you count Holyrood as local government
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    Are there any posters here, other than Malclog, who agree with BJO's campaign to get Myleene Klass fired?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I agree with this

* Miss Klass failed to balance her comments on her perceived unfairness of the Mansion Tax with reference to the Bedroom tax which has crippled the finances of many a British family- very many of those are your own customers.

*Miss Klass (estimated net worth in 2012 £11 million), made comments that many members of the public feel show she is out of touch with the life of the everyday person such as her stating that £2 million was a is small amount to spend on a property. In particular the statement describing the amount of £2 million as barely enough to buy a garage was seen to be in bad taste.

Everything there was true before she embarrassed Weird Amid Bland, except for the bit about her actually embarrassing him.

So you're an active proponent in an Internet hate campaign against an individual based on her view of a tax and because she duffed up your geek..

You should stop soiling yourself so badly in public.
    Keeping Myleene views in the limelight is good news for Ed IMO.

The MT is popular its opponents are at odds with the voters.

More anti MT squealers please.
    But really.. You're trying to get a woman sacked because you think it's good PR for your party? That's disgusting.
    JJ , get off your soapbox, she is loaded and would not notice the difference, might let someone with intelligence who needs a job improve their life. Faux Tory concerns are pathetic.
    So you're another one who thinks it's ok to try to hound a woman out of her job because of her view on a proposed tax.. Ok

Nothing to do with the tax which I think is just a gimmick the Tories would avoid paying, my reason is the stupidity and lack of compassion the nasty millionaire has for the public. A stupid nonentity with no class.
    So you're ok with the hate campaign against her because she's rich and you don't like her?

Keep trying JJ, one of these times you will get what I am saying and it does not involve her being rich
  • Options
    It is reported today that the Smith Commission will on Thursday recommend full tax raising powers to Scotland as recommended by the Conservatives, Liberals and the SNP despite Labours objections. The obvious result of this would be that rUK tax would be have to be voted through Parliament without any say by Scots MPs. In these circumstances how would a Labour Chancellor get his budget approved. EVEL will become a huge issue
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Why?

Could it be they don't buy it for its political analysis, but for something else?

Careful - Miliband will have you (metaphorically) strung up for sneering......

One biter so far.

Has JJ got Sun+ yet
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I agree with this

* Miss Klass failed to balance her comments on her perceived unfairness of the Mansion Tax with reference to the Bedroom tax which has crippled the finances of many a British family- very many of those are your own customers.

*Miss Klass (estimated net worth in 2012 £11 million), made comments that many members of the public feel show she is out of touch with the life of the everyday person such as her stating that £2 million was a is small amount to spend on a property. In particular the statement describing the amount of £2 million as barely enough to buy a garage was seen to be in bad taste.

Everything there was true before she embarrassed Weird Amid Bland, except for the bit about her actually embarrassing him.

So you're an active proponent in an Internet hate campaign against an individual based on her view of a tax and because she duffed up your geek..

But really.. You're trying to get a woman sacked because you think it's good PR for your party? That's disgusting.
    JJ , get off your soapbox, she is loaded and would not notice the difference, might let someone with intelligence who needs a job improve their life. Faux Tory concerns are pathetic.
    So you're another one who thinks it's ok to try to hound a woman out of her job because of her view on a proposed tax.. Ok

Nothing to do with the tax which I think is just a gimmick the Tories would avoid paying, my reason is the stupidity and lack of compassion the nasty millionaire has for the public. A stupid nonentity with no class.
    So you're ok with the hate campaign against her because she's rich and you don't like her?

Keep trying JJ, one of these times you will get what I am saying and it does not involve her being rich
    "She is loaded", "nasty millionaire" I'm not putting these words in your mouth.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Nice

Nice

Evans shows no remorse. Until he does so he should not just go back to his job IMO.

His website still hounds the victim FFS she is on her 3rd name and location since Evans conviction.

Remind me what is vile
    I've answered this in another post, but if he doesn't think he is guilty, then you are asking him to lie.
    He was guilty though, tried and convicted.
  • Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Why are lefties suddenly so concerned about the public image of a company owned by the Barclay brothers?

JJ, not too bright are you , he was referring to the clientele not the company.
    The clientele can make their own minds up. If they stay away because Klass is a crap choice given her odious-to-the-masses view on the Mansion Tax, then that hurts Littlewoods which hurts the Barclays. How does it hurt the clientele?
    Well for me being an intelligent chap , it shows that despite all her money she is an insensitive not very bright individual. Obviously been very fortunate not to have been dependent on her brain power to earn her living and has few saving graces or clue that there are actually unfortunate people who cannot even imagine £2 million never mind pay it for a garage. Not much of a human being to my mind.
    I've decided you are mental.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Sunday Times YouGov

"Imagine your own local MP resigned and there was an immediate by-election in your seat. Which party would you vote for?"

Con 30% (-3), Lab 32% (-1), LD 9% (+2), UKIP 18% (+2)

p.5
    http://cdn.yougov.com/cumulus_uploads/document/6au4g3f66s/YG-Archive-Pol-Sunday-Times-results-211114.pdf
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Well quite. This is a remarkably ugly thread of hate aimed at a lady's day job for the crime of showing EdM up.

And exposed a lot of revenge aimed at Mr Evans who appears to have become a non-person when it comes to the rights every other ex-offender has. He's not allowed to earn a living and should just give it all up and skulk off into a dark corner for the next 50yrs.

I feel a need a Silkwood Shower just reading some of this stuff. I can't say if Mr X or Y is genial. Their behaviour towards a total stranger feels spiteful and absolutely not what I would do.

I now own a copy of Hear'Say single Pure & Simple as they clearly don't get the notion of NACRO.
    Charles said:

• Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Unlike his victim?
    Who is hounding his victim? If there is any harassment I would hope the police deal with it swiftly. Advocating mob justice is absolutely disgusting.
    LOL, do you ever read the papers, police will have an enquiry about it in 2o years or so.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I agree with Charles. It is a very alien concept to be forced to apologize for something you are convinced you didn't do. Even looked at objectively it is questionable. There were only three people who know what happened and two of them say Evans was telling the truth

I think if you read the court records you will find you are not right in the head to take that view. he was found GUILTY.
  • Options
    Pbc should allow EVEL. English vitriol for English loonies.
  • Options

Are there any posters here, other than Malclog, who agree with BJO's campaign to get Myleene Klass fired?

Old two names trying to find a pal
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    MG You keep referring to her wealth in almost every post...
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Charles said:

"Pathetic Numpties" do not have to answer.

Not even on PB.

Why was a successful campaign wrong

You don't have to answer.
    I answered. PB mods didn't like it.
  • Options

It is reported today that the Smith Commission will on Thursday recommend full tax raising powers to Scotland as recommended by the Conservatives, Liberals and the SNP despite Labours objections. The obvious result of this would be that rUK tax would be have to be voted through Parliament without any say by Scots MPs. In these circumstances how would a Labour Chancellor get his budget approved. EVEL will become a huge issue

We have yet to see what full tax powers means, if only transfer of income tax as expected then it is just a con to cut Scottish funding.
  • Options

Remission is standard if you qualify. He has served his time. Maybe you should join ISIS and start beheading people you do not like?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Umm.. I think you'll find I'm looking for despicable soul mates for you and bigjohnfouls

• Options

Charles said:

If there is any doubt about b) it would be a tad ungentlemanly to jump on and get your sneering mates to take photographs through the window IMO.

To not discourage your supporters actions that have forced the victim to move and change her name twice is a little closer to vile rather than ungentlemanly IMO
    I don't know what "actions" you are referring to, and what Evans could have done, in practice, to discourage them, but any breach of the law should result in prosecution and punishment as per normal practice.

But now answer my question: if he doesn't believe he is guilty why should he show remorse. That would be lying, right?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    YouGov, Sunday Times
    "Imagine there was a hung Parliament after the next election, with no single party getting enough seats to form a government on their own. Imagine that these were the possible combinations of parties, which would you prefer?"

30% want UKIP in Government.

Con + UKIP: 21%
    Lab + UKIP: 9%

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I agree with this

"She is loaded", "nasty millionaire" I'm not putting these words in your mouth.
    so only the bits that matter will be left , will you get to them I wonder. Insensitive rich t*** pontificates about £2M being peanuts, does that help you. Given most of population will never have £2K , does it not sound just a bit pretentious and pompous even to you.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited November 2014
    Who said?
    "Dr Johnson said God made Scotland for Scotchmen, and I would keep it so.'"

Who also said that the Lithuanian migrant workers in the mining industry had “filthy habits”, they lived off “garlic and oil”, and they were carriers of “the Black Death”.

Was it the, founder of the BNP, the founder of the SNP or the founder of UKIP?

Answer = it was Keir Hardie the founder of the Labour Party.
  • Options
    As I understand it - Mr Evan's case has been fast-tracked by the Criminal Cases Review body as potentially unsafe. If he's found to have been wrongly prosecuted - what then?

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/ched-evans-conviction-to-be-fasttracked-by-watchdog-investigating-miscarriages-of-justice-9804380.html

The watchdog which investigates possible miscarriages of justice has said it is fast-tracking an application by Ched Evans to review his rape conviction.

Explaining the decision to do so, a spokesperson for the Criminal Cases Review Commission (CCRC) told the Observer: “After an initial review of the case, we decided that we would need to conduct further detailed investigations to establish what merit there may or may not be in the submissions made to us.

“Initially, we expected there to be a significant wait before that investigation would begin because Mr Evans’s imminent release meant that his case would be behind those of other CCRC applicants who remain in custody.”
    malcolmg said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Unlike his victim?
    LOL, do you ever read the papers, police will have an enquiry about it in 2o years or so.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    malcolmg said:

We have yet to see what full tax powers means, if only transfer of income tax as expected then it is just a con to cut Scottish funding.
    I hope that is how the Scots should see it. Instead the SNP should have wanted Corporation Tax and then do a Ireland, even if gradually. I am not sure if that is possible under European rules.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nice

Nice

Remind me what is vile
    Yes, which is why he served time in prison. Although it was circumstantial/word-against-word.

Remorse should be a personal matter. If he believes that he was wrongly found guilty - and I think he is contesting the conviction? - then to show remorse/admit guilt would be to lie.

Do you believe, for instance, that the Birmingham Six should have apologised for the murders?
  • Options

MG You keep referring to her wealth in almost every post...

Yes and the point is so that you can understand is that she being loaded should know better and try not to be an insensitive erchie. Having been lucky enough to amass money despite being thick , she should at least appreciate that not many spend £2M on garages.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nice

Nice

Remind me what is vile
    And is appealing his conviction. How could he appeal if he admitted guilt?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

so only the bits that matter will be left , will you get to them I wonder. Insensitive rich t*** pontificates about £2M being peanuts, does that help you. Given most of population will never have £2K , does it not sound just a bit pretentious and pompous even to you.

So you want all pretentious and pompous people to be hounded out of work by internet hate campaigns?
  • Options

Remission is standard if you qualify. He has served his time. Maybe you should join ISIS and start beheading people you do not like?
    Head fruitcake has been called in.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Umm.. I think you'll find I'm looking for despicable soul mates for you and bigjohnfouls

You never fail to amaze, I always think he cannot really be that stupid, but you prove it every time. We know you love Myleene but you are letting your boyhood crush fuddle what little brains you have.
  • Options
    I think a few on here have been on the catnip rather too much.

malcolmg said:

So you want all pretentious and pompous people to be hounded out of work by internet hate campaigns?
  • Options

What, exactly, is Klass accused of, that she should lose her Littlewoods contract? That she is rich? Out of touch? Didn't condemn the Bedroom Tax? I only saw a brief clip, and thought her argument incoherent and a lttle whiney, but is that enough that Llittlewoods should bin her?
    If those were her crimes, then any celebrity, advertising anything, who hasn't come out and denounced the Bedroom Tax is in trouble.

There is no bedroom tax. What there is are people getting welfare benefits they do not need, thats people getting taxpayers money they do not need. Welfare is not a right its not a way of life its a safetynet benefit. Most taxpayers are poor not rich.
    Launching some petition against a wealthy popstar for being a wealthy popstar (and having the nerve to hold an oipinion) is one of the more pathetic flounces by one of the socialist numpties that spout on here.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2014
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I agree with this

*Miss Klass (estimated net worth in 2012 £11 million), made comments that many members of the public feel show she is out of touch with the life of the everyday person such as her stating that £2 millionste.

Read the profile of Myleene here in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/nov/21/myleene-klass-ed-miliband

Royal Academy of music, doing Astronomy at University? Work for Save the Children in Sierra Leone? Self made multi-millionaire? Clothing brand represented for sale in more than twenty countries

We could do with a lot more "stupid non entities" like that in this country!

Indeed she seems a lot more astute than most.

And of course Littlewoods Advertising was all shot months ago, dropping the adverts would only harm the Liverpool based retailer.

The spitefulness of the left over this shows a total lack of compassion.

(Incidentally from her twitter photos she got on fine with Ed in the green room after the show with a few tweeted selfies. Ed seems a much nicer bloke than the twittermob)

• Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nice

Nice

Remind me what is vile
    Yes, which is why he served time in prison. Although it was circumstantial/word-against-word.

Remorse should be a personal matter. If he believes that he was wrongly found guilty - and I think he is contesting the conviction? - then to show remorse/admit guilt would be to lie.

Do you believe, for instance, that the Birmingham Six should have apologised for the murders?
    They were proven to having being fitted up , you suggesting that every criminal can just claim the much vaunted justice system is totally crooked.
  • Options
    @plato you missed

The commission spokesman said the decision to prioritise the case should not be viewed as confirmation that Evans had strong grounds for an appeal.

I suppose this could be a factor

Evans’s girlfriend, Natasha Massey, and her father, the multimillionaire Karl Massey, are spearheading the campaign to have his conviction overturned. Mr Massey has hired a private detective, a leading appeals barrister and offered a reward for information.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

I hope that is how the Scots should see it. Instead the SNP should have wanted Corporation Tax and then do a Ireland, even if gradually. I am not sure if that is possible under European rules.
    SNP want all and every tax revenue as it should be, otherwise it is a sham.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

I think if you read the court records you will find you are not right in the head to take that view. he was found GUILTY.
    I do not want to take Evans' side because I also do not know what actually happened. However, Malcolm, to take your point, should we also have accepted that the Birmingham Six were guilty ? The Court said so. Have you heard the expression, "miscarriage of justice" ?

Again, I emphasise I do not know what actually happened. None of us do.

But I will end with one final remark. Had Mr Evans not been a footballer but he was from some other occupation, say, a white van driver, would you or anyone else have known about this ? So why discriminate with him ?

This is one aspect which a socially liberal person like me has a major dilemma with. On the one hand, we want sexualised crimes like rape should be heavily punished [ BTW, I do think he was released far too early ! ]. On the other, I also want people must be allowed to reintegrate with society.

When can you say you have paid for your crimes ? It seems that depends on NOT what you are supposed to have committed but what job you do.
  • Options
    The report today says that Scotland will receive FULL control over income tax and welfare reforms in the Smith Commission announcement due on Thursday. In these circumstances a rUK labour chancellor would have to pass the budget on rUK votes which by definition would exclude ALL Scots mps.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I think a few on here have been on the catnip rather too much.

malcolmg said:

He has been driven out of his mind after listening to his latest album purchase.
  • Options
    Indeed. I remain open-mouthed at much of this thread. And given how *robust* things can get - that's quite an achievement.

What, exactly, is Klass accused of, that she should lose her Littlewoods contract? That she is rich? Out of touch? Didn't condemn the Bedroom Tax? I only saw a brief clip, and thought her argument incoherent and a lttle whiney, but is that enough that Llittlewoods should bin her?
    If those were her crimes, then any celebrity, advertising anything, who hasn't come out and denounced the Bedroom Tax is in trouble.

There is no bedroom tax. What there is are people getting welfare benefits they do not need, thats people getting taxpayers money they do not need. Welfare is not a right its not a way of life its a safetynet benefit. Most taxpayers are poor not rich.
    Launching some petition against a wealthy popstar for being a wealthy popstar (and having the nerve to hold an oipinion) is one of the more pathetic flounces by one of the socialist numpties that spout on here.
  • Options
    MG.. so someone who was raised in a very working class environment..learnt to play classical music on a piano..released some succesful discs..made some dosh..joined a successful pop group.. made some more dosh.. became a self made millionaire..and expresses her opinion in a flamboyant way is "Thick..wow.. would that we were all as thick or talented..
    The point is that you denied using her selfmade wealth as a weapon against her....
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    May still playing silly buggers over emails, texts etc. Why can't she make proper use of the powers she has rather than add more bloody laws to deal with a problem.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

I do not want to take Evans' side because I also do not know what actually happened. However, Malcolm, to take your point, should we also have accepted that the Birmingham Six were guilty ? The Court said so. Have you heard the expression, "miscarriage of justice" ?

But I will end with one final remark. Had Mr Evans not been a footballer but he was from some other occupation, say, a white van driver, would you or anyone else have known about this ? So why discriminate with him ?

This is one aspect which a socially liberal person like me has a major dilemma with. When can you say you have paid for your crimes ? It seems that depends on NOT what you are supposed to have committed but what job you do.
    Whilst he should be allowed to get on with his life , there are several disturbing features on the topic.

At best what he did was despicable, and he has yet to accept that he was a real arse at minimum and/or a rapist as per the jury verdict.
    If as BJO says the victim is still being persecuted by him ( directly or indirectly ) or his chums or just nutcases due to his website , then he has learned nothing.
    Given the crime he should not be back at Sheffield which is supposed to be a family club, it would have rightly bankrupted them.
    He should get on with it , look for a job and rebuild his life, and try to be a better person than previously.
  • Options

Come one, surely there must be one or two horrible lefties out there who think that a woman who disagrees publicly with their weird leader should be hounded out of a job by an internet hate campaign?
  • Options
    I was pointing out that his case isn't as cut and dried as some - as yourself - may think it is.

Bear in mind, I brought it to your attention for information purposes. I'm glad you read it. Perhaps it will temper your temper. And so what if it's his girlfriend's rich dad doing it? That her dad trusts what he's told him, and is with his daughter tells me its a sincere gesture of a serious kind.

All your posts have green-eyed monster stamped all over them. I hope you find more uplifting things to do with your retirement than trying to make other people unemployable.

@plato you missed

The commission spokesman said the decision to prioritise the case should not be viewed as confirmation that Evans had strong grounds for an appeal.

I suppose this could be a factor

Evans’s girlfriend, Natasha Massey, and her father, the multimillionaire Karl Massey, are spearheading the campaign to have his conviction overturned. Mr Massey has hired a private detective, a leading appeals barrister and offered a reward for information.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,450
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be Nicola's biggest fan but I must admit that the dismissals of MacAskill and Russell does indicate an ability to recognise crap and do something about it. The damage those two did under Salmond will take a long time to undo.

We can only hope there is a change of policies not just personnel.

David, we are in agreement for a change, just need Tories to get rid of Davidson and Johnstone and it will be a double
    Alison Johnstone the Green? Ruth Davidson is pretty talented but I don't see how she could manage that.

Ruth needs to tread the same path as the next SLAb leader and declare UDI establishing a Scottish Conservative party like the CSU. Scottish politics will never be the same post referendum and all of the unionist parties that want to survive have to recognise this.
    David , telling that even you a party stalwart don't even know the Johnstone I was talking about. I disagree on talented mind you for Davidson and as she is a London puppet it will be next leader who tries to really revive the Tories.
    They better hurry up though or they will miss the bus completely.
    Sorry Malcolm I only have a limited interest in local government.
    So you count Holyrood as local government
    I think you will find that that is the majority view Malcolm. Just over 55% in fact.
  • Options

The report today says that Scotland will receive FULL control over income tax and welfare reforms in the Smith Commission announcement due on Thursday. In these circumstances a rUK labour chancellor would have to pass the budget on rUK votes which by definition would exclude ALL Scots mps.

So as suspected they will go with the stitch up and try to paint it as more powers rather than just a way to cut Scottish budget. You can do nothing with only income tax powers.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Surprised that no-one seems to have mentioned that dear Gordon has finally seen fit to officially end his career as MP

I know he effectively gave up years ago - but it is good that he is going to officially leave the Commons. I am sure he has got enough funds to sustain his lifestyle through his retirement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30167158
  • Options

Top politics story in the Observer:

Labour has erupted into civil war over the “snobby” tweet sent by the sacked shadow attorney general, prompting senior MPs to warn that Ed Miliband’s chances in the general election are being actively damaged by the fallout over the affair.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/22/labour-war-emily-thornberry-tweet-rochester-strood

What has happened at the Observer.

First 1 million Lab MPs want Ed out only they wont go on record.

Now flogging the WVM dead horse longer than the Sun.
    Unlike you it is vaguely attached to reality. Your desperate attempt to take the spotlight of white vans and flags is totally transparent.
  • Options

Come one, surely there must be one or two horrible lefties out there who think that a woman who disagrees publicly with their weird leader should be hounded out of a job by an internet hate campaign?
    looks like less than right wing weirdies with multiple names for sure
  • Options
    Looks an excellent production. Of course, there was a time when the BBC would make a TV adaptation of a play like that and do a bloody good job.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

This is one aspect which a socially liberal person like me has a major dilemma with. When can you say you have paid for your crimes ? It seems that depends on NOT what you are supposed to have committed but what job you do.
    Whilst he should be allowed to get on with his life , there are several disturbing features on the topic.

At best what he did was despicable, and he has yet to accept that he was a real arse at minimum and/or a rapist as per the jury verdict.
    If as BJO says the victim is still being persecuted by him ( directly or indirectly ) or his chums or just nutcases due to his website , then he has learned nothing.
    Given the crime he should not be back at Sheffield which is supposed to be a family club, it would have rightly bankrupted them.
    He should get on with it , look for a job and rebuild his life, and try to be a better person than previously.
    But his greatest skill is being a footballer ! Should a plumber become a dustbin man ?

If an apology or contrition is a pre requisite, then it should be put in statute.

And, what if , a big if, according to him, the girl is making it up. It won't be the first time and we do know these footballers are surrounded by these "supporters".

This is a difficult issue as I wrote earlier. Two aspects of my socially liberal conscience is directly at odds here.
  • Options

No. But there should be a Rich B!tch tax to fund lip surgery on the NHS.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Indeed. I remain open-mouthed at much of this thread. And given how *robust* things can get - that's quite an achievement.

Plato, Flightpath is the king of nutters and fruitcakes on here. He makes Attila the Hun look like a socialist. Hopefully he will be skint some day and get some of his own proposed medicine.
  • Options
    Since I'm so lovely - I'll support you entirely there ;^ )
    surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

But his greatest skill is being a footballer ! Should a plumber become a dustbin man ?

If an apology or contrition is a pre requisite, then it should be put in statute.

And, what if , a big if, according to him, the girl is making it up. It won't be the first time and we do know these footballers are surrounded by these "supporters".

This is a difficult issue as I wrote earlier. Two aspects of my socially liberal conscience is directly at odds here.
  • Options

MG.. so someone who was raised in a very working class environment..learnt to play classical music on a piano..released some succesful discs..made some dosh..joined a successful pop group.. made some more dosh.. became a self made millionaire..and expresses her opinion in a flamboyant way is "Thick..wow.. would that we were all as thick or talented..
    The point is that you denied using her selfmade wealth as a weapon against her....

So in your world insensitive and callous = flamboyant ............... LOL heard it all now. Throw them some more cake Jeeves.
  • Options

Surprised that no-one seems to have mentioned that dear Gordon has finally seen fit to officially end his career as MP

I know he effectively gave up years ago - but it is good that he is going to officially leave the Commons. I am sure he has got enough funds to sustain his lifestyle through his retirement

His charity does that for him already.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

So as suspected they will go with the stitch up and try to paint it as more powers rather than just a way to cut Scottish budget. You can do nothing with only income tax powers.
    How is the Scottish buidget 'cut' if Scotland has control of tax raising and spending?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I feel for this man. Been there, got the t-shirt, wrote the country song. independent.co.uk/voices/comment/rochester-byelection-a-little-respect-goes-a-long-way-ed-miliband-9877702.html

David Cameron could not believe his luck. He was about to lose a by-election to the most irritating bunch of people a moderate Conservative prime minister could imagine, when Ed Miliband decided to distract journalists with a class-based comedy caper.

One of Cameron's aides was so astonished by the Opposition's mistake that he could hardly contain himself when we spoke the next day. The gist, with the expletives deleted, was that Miliband and his advisers had lost possession of their faculties, but this was mixed with outrage at their sheer lack of professionalism, as if he felt his craft had been insulted.

"The broadcasters were unsure if they were going to report it," he said, of Emily Thornberry's condescending tweet about England flags and a white van in Strood. "So they phoned Ed Miliband's office and were briefed that he had never been so angry. It was like putting petrol on a fire." Worse, Miliband then decided that the story was so embarrassing that he should make it more so, by sacking Thornberry from her front-bench post of shadow Attorney General.
  • Options
    Plato said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

I think the photographic evidence did not go in his favour on that one, having his thick as mince pals video it was not a good move.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

His charity does that for him already.
    "Charity" in the loosest possible sense of the term.

No-one has ever quite managed to pin down what charitable works it actually does...
  • Options
    Thornberry made one mistake. Her caption should have read: This guy prefers to do his jobs for cash !! That would have really blown the issue sky high.
  • Options

Running away as ever. He will not want to be explaining what happened to his "Home Rule" promise.
  • Options
    Rosberg's engine is suffering.

Morris Dancer loses!
  • Options
    This bit had me crying with laughter
    When he was asked on Friday what goes through his mind when he sees a white van outside a house, he replied: "Respect."

This is what is known as the George H W Bush Error. President Bush Snr once opened a press conference by saying he was "in the business of lowering expectations here". His aides had their heads in their hands. That was his brief. He wasn't supposed to read it out, he was supposed to do it.

Miliband had obviously had a discussion with, say, Douglas Alexander, chair of general election strategy, about how to deal with questions about Thornberry's apparent disdain for some voters. We have to show "respect, deep and real respect, for the hopes, aspirations and dreams of the people we seek to serve", Alexander might have said. I guess this because that is a line from the speech he gave in Stirling on Friday night.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

How is the Scottish buidget 'cut' if Scotland has control of tax raising and spending?
    Because they might raise less than what will be reduced ? Unless they raise the tax rate, of course.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Nice

Should Evans and Klaas be allowed to seek any form of employment, in your view?

• Options
    Plato said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Plato ! Even you ?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nice

Nice

Remind me what is vile

They were proven to having being fitted up , you suggesting that every criminal can just claim the much vaunted justice system is totally crooked.
    No, I'm saying that if you believe there is a miscarriage of justice then you shouldn't be forced to apologise just to satisfy the whims of the mob.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You are so far bonkers that its embarrassing to listen to you.
    What we do see, as in this case illustrated by you and this BJO character, is that the extremes of politics are riven by, driven by, hate.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

This is one aspect which a socially liberal person like me has a major dilemma with. On the one hand, we want sexualised crimes like rape should be heavily punished [ BTW, I do think he was released far too early ! ]. On the other, I also want people must be allowed to reintegrate with society.

When can you say you have paid for your crimes ? It seems that depends on NOT what you are supposed to have committed but what job you do.
    OMG! I agree with @surbiton!

I need to go and lie down.

;-)
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    Gadfly's weekly YouGov chart update.

Last 12 months...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8yyma1ni3z34set/YouGov polls 12 months to 23 November 2014.jpg#

Since the 2010 General election...

http://www.mediafire.com/view/3iq1l4i0nc6qodh/YouGov Polls since 2010 GE as of 23 November 2014.jpg#
  • Options
    Aww. And I was thinking of asking Santa for a wax doll of you and a packet of pins too.

There's still time. I haven't posted it yet.
    surbiton said:

Plato said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

Plato ! Even you ?
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Charles said:

We need to find a way of ending Trial by Social Media and the influence of the Social Justice Warriors who dominate certain parts of the interwebs.

Mob mentality is very damaging to debate at many levels of society - and the move to ban/curtail free speech because of perceived/imagined offense is very disturbing.

I don't know how to end it - but unless we find a way of restoring a sense of balance to the world, we are heading for a very unpleasant period.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012

Pending his appeal, Evans has been convicted of a serious sexual offence. There are plenty of jobs from which people with such convictions are barred, but footballer isn't one of them.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

They will change the funding formula against a nominal figure and then you are at the mercy of income tax only revenue , with no way to make corrections if it falls and if you then need to raise it you move the jobs to England. It is and always has been a poisoned chalice. It is most definitely not extra powers, merely a transfer of responsibility without the powers bit.
    The Tories could not believe their luck, Labour tools front the referendum campaign , they stitch up what is supposed to be more powers and Labour will reap the whirlwind of it, and they get Ev4EL by back door leaving Labour in the crap in England as well. Ed will be the least of Labour's problems soon enough
  • Options
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

malcolmg said:

Roger said:

OMG! I agree with @surbiton!

I need to go and lie down.

;-)
    Another in agreement!

• Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

You are so far bonkers that its embarrassing to listen to you.
    What we do see, as in this case illustrated by you and this BJO character, is that the extremes of politics are riven by, driven by, hate.
    You liked it so much you posted it 3 times
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pending his appeal, Evans has been convicted of a serious sexual offence. There are plenty of jobs from which people with such convictions are barred, but footballer isn't one of them.

At this stage, he isn't seeking an immediate return to the world of professional football - just the opportunity to train in a professional environment in order to regain his fitness and re-polish his skills.

Isn't it better that he does this in a controlled environment rather than doing it at a local gym? (Assuming you believe his presence is in some way a threat to those around him)

• Options
    Evans was found guilty and the decision is..apparently..final The SNP lost the Indyref..and they now want another one..seems some things are more binding than others..
  • Options

Charles said:

We need to find a way of ending Trial by Social Media and the influence of the Social Justice Warriors who dominate certain parts of the interwebs.

Mob mentality is very damaging to debate at many levels of society - and the move to ban/curtail free speech because of perceived/imagined offense is very disturbing.

I don't know how to end it - but unless we find a way of restoring a sense of balance to the world, we are heading for a very unpleasant period.
    I think that when someone tries to promote their internet hate campaign on here, they should be immediately confronted. That would be a start.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

They will change the funding formula against a nominal figure and then you are at the mercy of income tax only revenue , with no way to make corrections if it falls and if you then need to raise it you move the jobs to England. It is and always has been a poisoned chalice. It is most definitely not extra powers, merely a transfer of responsibility without the powers bit.
    The Tories could not believe their luck, Labour tools front the referendum campaign , they stitch up what is supposed to be more powers and Labour will reap the whirlwind of it, and they get Ev4EL by back door leaving Labour in the crap in England as well. Ed will be the least of Labour's problems soon enough
    You make a very good case against devolution and independence there!

If Scotland were to put up income tax then jobs would move south., now where have I heard that said before?
  • Options

Evans was found guilty and the decision is..apparently..final The SNP lost the Indyref..and they now want another one..seems some things are more binding than others..

50.001% would have been binding for ever.......

• Options
    Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

malcolmg said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Nice

Nice

Remind me what is vile
    for the murders?
    No, I'm saying that if you believe there is a miscarriage of justice then you shouldn't be forced to apologise just to satisfy the whims of the mob.
    Well trying to get public support by being an arrogant t*** and denigrating the victim does not sound the best way to go for me.
    If you think that and throwing wads of cash at an appeal are good that is your prerogative.
    In reality I don't care about him , just another pampered thick footballer, a few years of real work may mature him and make him a better person. There are far better people in the world to be concerned about.
This discussion has been closed.