Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The National Theatre’s production “This House” – a taste of

Comments

• Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,201

I agree with this

* Miss Klass failed to balance her comments on her perceived unfairness of the Mansion Tax with reference to the Bedroom tax which has crippled the finances of many a British family- very many of those are your own customers.

*Miss Klass (estimated net worth in 2012 £11 million), made comments that many members of the public feel show she is out of touch with the life of the everyday person such as her stating that £2 million was a is small amount to spend on a property. In particular the statement describing the amount of £2 million as barely enough to buy a garage was seen to be in bad taste.

Everything there was true before she embarrassed Weird Amid Bland, except for the bit about her actually embarrassing him.

So you're an active proponent in an Internet hate campaign against an individual based on her view of a tax and because she duffed up your geek..

You should stop soiling yourself so badly in public.
    Keeping Myleene views in the limelight is good news for Ed IMO.

The MT is popular its opponents are at odds with the voters.

More anti MT squealers please.
  • Options
    NinoinozNinoinoz Posts: 1,312
    To be fair to BJO, he wants Klass dismissed because she's out of touch. Lady Thornberry has been dismissed for similar trivialities.

Socrates, you are indeed wise to stay in the shadows, BJO was at Dirty Dicks on Friday.
  • Options
    Great idea Mike. I saw this with my wife at the NT during its previous run. She didn't know much about the machinations of Westminster, and thought it'd be dull and heavy, but actually found it very dramatic. I found it fascinating.

We'd love to see it again.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be Nicola's biggest fan but I must admit that the dismissals of MacAskill and Russell does indicate an ability to recognise crap and do something about it. The damage those two did under Salmond will take a long time to undo.

We can only hope there is a change of policies not just personnel.

Yes - she may be not as much of a showman as Salmond, but lets hope she's a more effective First Minister - Scottish Education has fallen a long way and needs fixing pronto.

Meanwhile, Tom Watson offer's his view:

Why it would be disastrous if we give Jim Murphy Labour's top job in Scotland … says the party's former deputy chairman

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/why-it-would-be-disastrous-if-we-give-jim-murphy-labours-top-job-in-scotland-says.25941193

Sturgeon could be in position for quite a while......
    Much though I admire Jim Murphy Watson does have a point. How could Murphy reach out to the natural Labour Party supporters who voted Yes? That is his challenge and I have not seen an answer yet.

Falling out with Watson was yet another Ed mistake. Labour has few enough campaigners with his talent.
    Murphy would be a divisive figure, Findlay would also make it difficult for Sturgeon to outflank Labour on the left.

Worst of all would be for the winner to be fixed in Westminster!
    I agree with that but how many days would it be before Findlay fell out with Ed? Not many I suspect and he seems to be far more of a bruiser than Lamont.

Interesting times for SLAB whichever way it goes.
    Falling out with Ed is unlikely to do him much harm in Scotland, indeed it could be a smart way of distancing SLAB from the Islington set.

Ed has Boris like levels of charm and charisma in England compared with how he is viewed in Scotland.
    Ed doing well 'net': (Cameron)
    London: -46 (-15)
    Scotland: -61 (-26)
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,932
    Ninoinoz said:

To be fair to BJO, he wants Klass dismissed because she's out of touch. Lady Thornberry has been dismissed for similar trivialities.

Socrates, you are indeed wise to stay in the shadows, BJO was at Dirty Dicks on Friday.

Klass is not in a position where her judgements matter. She's not standing for office either. She has an opinion that differed from Ed's, and that's all.

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

taffys said:

''Let's see how he reacts to his livelihood being threatened.''

To be honest, In think BJO's desperation to protect his ludicrously generous pension arrangements drive all his posts.

They are guaranteed thanks.

But have you not seen my posts about Oldies that cannot even by PB Tories be seen as srlf serving surely.

Waits 30 seconds
    I keep asking - do you support the exemption of MPs from Ed's Mansion tax? Funny you seem scared to answer.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,472
    DavidL said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that I will not be Nicola's biggest fan but I must admit that the dismissals of MacAskill and Russell does indicate an ability to recognise crap and do something about it. The damage those two did under Salmond will take a long time to undo.

David, we are in agreement for a change, just need Tories to get rid of Davidson and Johnstone and it will be a double
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548

I agree with this

* Miss Klass failed to balance her comments on her perceived unfairness of the Mansion Tax with reference to the Bedroom tax which has crippled the finances of many a British family- very many of those are your own customers.

*Miss Klass (estimated net worth in 2012 £11 million), made comments that many members of the public feel show she is out of touch with the life of the everyday person such as her stating that £2 million was a is small amount to spend on a property. In particular the statement describing the amount of £2 million as barely enough to buy a garage was seen to be in bad taste.

Everything there was true before she embarrassed Weird Amid Bland, except for the bit about her actually embarrassing him.

So you're an active proponent in an Internet hate campaign against an individual based on her view of a tax and because she duffed up your geek..

Which party do you think would prefer a Myleene v Weird Amid Bland rematch?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,961
    Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

Ninoinoz said:

I had the good fortune to meet BJO in Manchester and he was charming and pleasant company. His skill at winding some posters on here up is also not to be underestimated.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

I agree with this

How about David Lammy, Margaret Hodge and Tessa Jowell for starters.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Yes - she may be not as much of a showman as Salmond, but lets hope she's a more effective First Minister - Scottish Education has fallen a long way and needs fixing pronto.

Why it would be disastrous if we give Jim Murphy Labour's top job in Scotland … says the party's former deputy chairman

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/columnists/why-it-would-be-disastrous-if-we-give-jim-murphy-labours-top-job-in-scotland-says.25941193

Much though I admire Jim Murphy Watson does have a point. How could Murphy reach out to the natural Labour Party supporters who voted Yes? That is his challenge and I have not seen an answer yet.

Falling out with Watson was yet another Ed mistake. Labour has few enough campaigners with his talent.
    Murphy would be a divisive figure, Findlay would also make it difficult for Sturgeon to outflank Labour on the left.

I agree with that but how many days would it be before Findlay fell out with Ed? Not many I suspect and he seems to be far more of a bruiser than Lamont.

Falling out with Ed is unlikely to do him much harm in Scotland, indeed it could be a smart way of distancing SLAB from the Islington set.

Oh I agree it won't do him any harm. Ed has Boris like levels of charm and charisma in England compared with how he is viewed in Scotland. My point is that it will make Ed look even weaker. Because he will lose.
    Ed is losing Scotland; White Van Man; now in addition the Islington set and even a multicultural celebrity. Where is he winning?

It is time for him to go. The process will be messy, but still better than the alternative of Ed leading the party to disaster in May.
  • Options

I agree with this

But really.. You're trying to get a woman sacked because you think it's good PR for your party? That's disgusting.
  • Options
    Top politics story in the Observer:

Labour has erupted into civil war over the “snobby” tweet sent by the sacked shadow attorney general, prompting senior MPs to warn that Ed Miliband’s chances in the general election are being actively damaged by the fallout over the affair.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/22/labour-war-emily-thornberry-tweet-rochester-strood
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited November 2014

Great idea Mike. I saw this with my wife at the NT during its previous run. She didn't know much about the machinations of Westminster, and thought it'd be dull and heavy, but actually found it very dramatic. I found it fascinating.

Hi

Saw your post last night, sorry we missed each other Friday.

It was probably more like 9pm the time I got there and I waited forever at the bar to get a drink because the barman didnt know what a shandy was!*, so maybe that's why

*The best way to go out and and have several drinks without getting a hangover btw, and believe me I could write a book on them
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited November 2014
    By the way, for those who are confident this or that news story has or has not affected the polls, it's interesting how long it sometimes takes a meme to filter through to regular polling. A good example was Black Wednesday which, although cataclysmic and led to the Tories losing a generation of support, actually took a month or more to show its hand:
    http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/historical-polls/voting-intention-1992-1997

There's a sort of sliding away, like a polling bear run, which is ultimately far worse than a short sharp correction.

I will be surprised if Labour are at their current level two months from now, and I suspect they may lose another 3-5% but only time will tell.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Still collecting signatures.

She has been very quiet since her £2m garage nonsense

You're trying to hound Myleene Klass out of a job just for showing up the weirdo who you want to make our Prime Minister?

Nice
    I along with 166,000 others hounded a rapist out of a potential job earlier this week.

Myleene is a minor celebrity who is totally out of touch with white van man isn't she?
    Labour no longer believes in rehabilitation?

Nasty, nasty party.

IRA terrorists on the other hand . . .

Edit Realised that the 'IRA' part is redundant
    They have become Tory clones
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Is Socrates Myleene?

I have always had my suspicions!!

I left early from DDs on Friday.

Kings X really is a "fascinating" sight on a Friday evening.

We did not meet Ninoiniz but I admired you from afar.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Oh I agree it won't do him any harm. Ed has Boris like levels of charm and charisma in England compared with how he is viewed in Scotland. My point is that it will make Ed look even weaker. Because he will lose.
    Ed is losing Scotland; White Van Man; now in addition the Islington set and even a multicultural celebrity. Where is he winning?

It is time for him to go. The process will be messy, but still better than the alternative of Ed leading the party to disaster in May.
    Better for Labour beyond a doubt. But for the country? A Tory majority government has looked impossible since 2010 but for every problem there is a solution and I am almost beginning to believe that the solution to this one is Ed.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    100/1 into 33/1, own up who thinks I am going to win?

@Shadsy Good to see you on the Sunday Politics, if I stand can I have 100/1? Be good publicity for you as well...

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/islington-s-and-finsbury/winning-party
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

Mr. L, it takes a special political talent to turn a Conservative defection to UKIP and Conservative by-election defeat to UKIP into a bad news story for Labour.

Mr. Owls, I'd guess the ban the petition to ban Myleene Klass petition is also getting more votes. Some people are rather over-sensitive.

"Gasp! This woman holds a political opinion which differs from my own! Burn the witch!"

Your probably right Mr Dancer the 550 signing the patp compared to the 8100 signing the petition cant be exteapolated to a 15 to 1 support for the MT.

In my view MT compared to 50% to 45% tax cut is a clear winner with the voters.

Jeeeeez .......talk about clutching any straw in a storm

;-)
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

You're trying to hound Myleene Klass out of a job just for showing up the weirdo who you want to make our Prime Minister?

Nice
    I along with 166,000 others hounded a rapist out of a potential job earlier this week.

Myleene is a minor celebrity who is totally out of touch with white van man isn't she?
    Labour no longer believes in rehabilitation?

Nasty, nasty party.

IRA terrorists on the other hand . . .

Edit Realised that the 'IRA' part is redundant
    A man who'd served his time for the crime committed.

Is there a new Labour plan to bar all such from re entering society via the rule of the mob?
    The creep got his just desserts, any human being would have apologised for his crime and then got on with their life. Obviously a nasty bit of work and not rehabilitated to understand criminal behaviour.
  • Options
    isam said:

100/1 into 33/1, own up who thinks I am going to win?

@Shadsy if I stand can I have 100/1? Be good publicity for you as well...

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/islington-s-and-finsbury/winning-party

Ask Betfair to put a market up on your constituency and I'll have a flutter.

NB They're very good at responding to these requests, have made a few myself.
  • Options

Top politics story in the Observer:

Labour has erupted into civil war over the “snobby” tweet sent by the sacked shadow attorney general, prompting senior MPs to warn that Ed Miliband’s chances in the general election are being actively damaged by the fallout over the affair.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/nov/22/labour-war-emily-thornberry-tweet-rochester-strood

What has happened at the Observer.

First 1 million Lab MPs want Ed out only they wont go on record.

Now flogging the WVM dead horse longer than the Sun.
  • Options

Interestingly Big John Owls was the only person on here to call the Klass War right. We were assured by the Conservative echo chamber it would be a disaster for Ed. They were wrong, and he was right. For that he deserves some credit, but I doubt he will receive any.

The donkeys have it in for BJO, the cowards are congregating into a lynch mob. Usual cowardly right wing bunch tactics on here.
  • Options

Interestingly Big John Owls was the only person on here to call the Klass War right. We were assured by the Conservative echo chamber it would be a disaster for Ed. They were wrong, and he was right. For that he deserves some credit, but I doubt he will receive any.

He's trying to hound a woman out of her job for arguing with weird Ed!

How on earth is that calling it right?!?
    He got the call correct over Ms Klass. I said he would receive no credit on here - so overwhelmingly do Conservative cheerleaders dominate the discourse - and I was absolutely right it would seem! It is gallant to sometimes give credit to one's opponents.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Which candidate is 'not' Westminster's candidate?

Findlay is the Union's man, Murphy the MSPs - which will cause Ed a bigger headache.

I don't know Findlay - but I suspect Murphy would be perfectly happy to tell Ed to Foxtrot Oscar.....which frankly is what SLAB needs.....

Which Westminster clique is Boyack representing, she remains the invisible woman ignored from the outset.
  • Options

Nice

Are you sane? No..... Are you well? Some of your posts are to say the least devoid of any decency or reality.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The donkeys have it in for BJO, the cowards are congregating into a lynch mob. Usual cowardly right wing bunch tactics on here.
    They have form don't they Malcolm as you can testify
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

The lynch mob are surely the leftists petitioning for Klass to be sacked for disagreeing with Ed Miliband.

• Options
    Why are lefties suddenly so concerned about the public image of a company owned by the Barclay brothers?
  • Options
    Ninoinoz said:

Nice

I find this quite interesting.

I note the Left are big on employment protection and on anti-discrimination in hiring practices, but are remarkably vicious in stopping others who disagree with them or they simply don't like from earning a living.
    Well said. I've never signed any petition or campaign to ban someone from this country, or their job, or to hound them out of public life entirely, just because I've disagreed with them. And I never will.

I wonder if those who sign them are so confident in themselves, that they haven't ever uttered anything controversial in their lives. Something which could cause them to lose their job if only they had a slightly higher public profile.

FWIW, I wouldn't have joined the campaigns on Dapper Laughs or Julien Blanc either.

People have a right to say what they like, including to make a fool of themselves if they wish. We have a right to ignore them, poke fun at them, or heavily criticise them. But not to try and ban expression of those views, or pursue retribution and deny them the right to make a living when we vehemently disagree with them.

Of course, if an individual breaks the law, or incites criminal behaviour, then that's different. But, once again, once they've served their time and are released - they deserve a fair chance to prosper in society once more.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

It is an unedifying spectacle.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

David, we are in agreement for a change, just need Tories to get rid of Davidson and Johnstone and it will be a double
    Alison Johnstone the Green? Ruth Davidson is pretty talented but I don't see how she could manage that.

Ruth needs to tread the same path as the next SLAb leader and declare UDI establishing a Scottish Conservative party like the CSU. Scottish politics will never be the same post referendum and all of the unionist parties that want to survive have to recognise this.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Ninoinoz said:

Klass is not in a position where her judgements matter. She's not standing for office either. She has an opinion that differed from Ed's, and that's all.

Crap thicko opinion just the same, just what you would expect from a nasty Tory. Pity money cannot buy you intelligence, humanity or even decency.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited November 2014
    malcolmg said:

Nothing could match the mob antics of the Nats during the referendum campaign, hounding anyone who dared to support No.
  • Options
    isam said:

Hi

It was probably more like 9pm the time I got there and I waited forever at the bar to get a drink because the barman didnt know what a shandy was!*, so maybe that's why

*The best way to go out and and have several drinks without getting a hangover btw, and believe me I could write a book on them
    No worries, maybe next time. As Fat Steve has already said, the service at the bar did leave something to be desired.

I may take your advice on the shandy next time!
  • Options

He got the call correct over Ms Klass. I said he would receive no credit on here
    It's far too soon to judge that. The story is still in its infancy, especially in terms of the Mansion Tax casualties and former NuLab's London seats.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Omnium said:

Ninoinoz said:

Crap thicko opinion just the same, just what you would expect from a nasty Tory. Pity money cannot buy you intelligence, humanity or even decency.
    We know you're trolling Malcolm. :-)
  • Options

I agree with this

But really.. You're trying to get a woman sacked because you think it's good PR for your party? That's disgusting.
    JJ , get off your soapbox, she is loaded and would not notice the difference, might let someone with intelligence who needs a job improve their life. Faux Tory concerns are pathetic.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Nice

Are you sane? No..... Are you well? Some of your posts are to say the least devoid of any decency or reality.
    LOL, pot and kettle spring to mind
  • Options
    isam said:

Hi

Sorry I missed you too. I left at about 2130 to get the 2200 from St Pancras. Generally these events are busiest between 7pm and 8.30.

• Options
    edited November 2014

Nice

So you're drawing an equivalence between rape and arguing with weird Ed?

You get nicer and nicer...
    Only a moron or PB Tories would think i was comparing the two.

For the avoidance of doubt this is not another comparison!

Yes you did. That's precisely what you did.

And not to be left out TLBS pops up and shows they still don't get it. I mean what does your leader have to do to make you see how bad he Really is.

Punch a nun? Steal jelly tots off a kid ? .......What?

Keep digging
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Yes and I bet in person they would not say boo to a fly
  • Options
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    Looks to me like the days of Torygraph Blogs are numbered. Only 13 posts so far this month, 5 of them from Dan Hannan and only one post since last Sunday.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Yes and I bet in person they would not say boo to a fly
    How did that betting sense serve you in the Scottish indyref, Malcolm?
  • Options
    taffys said:

The lynch mob are surely the leftists petitioning for Klass to be sacked for disagreeing with Ed Miliband.

she deserves all she gets for her crass "lt them eat cake" imbecilic comments.
    Moronic millionaire taking money from Littlewoods to pretend she wears their items, has no clue on what real life is like and as she is thick as mince , insults almost everybody including those who pay for her lies , with crass comments.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Nice

I am fine thanks for asking.

The anti Ched Evans campaign was both just and successful.

Myleene Klass is more out of touch with WVM than that Shadow attorney general woman who i have never heard of but the press don't run with that.

That is what my post means but hey lynch mob rules apply on PB.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

I agree with this

JJ , get off your soapbox, she is loaded and would not notice the difference, might let someone with intelligence who needs a job improve their life. Faux Tory concerns are pathetic.
    So you're another one who thinks it's ok to try to hound a woman out of her job because of her view on a proposed tax.. Ok

• Options

Why are lefties suddenly so concerned about the public image of a company owned by the Barclay brothers?

JJ, not too bright are you , he was referring to the clientele not the company.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

taffys said:

Moronic millionaire taking money from Littlewoods to pretend she wears their items, has no clue on what real life is like and as she is thick as mince , insults almost everybody including those who pay for her lies , with crass comments.
    Let them eat turnip.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Nice

Myleene Klass is more out of touch with WVM than that Shadow attorney general woman who i have never heard of but the press don't run with that.

You're trying to get a non-politician fired for her view on a proposed tax. You're actually involved in a hate campaign against her. If you can't see how wrong that makes you, you're beyond help.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

Nice

Member of lynch mob equates people disagreeing with him as 'being lynched'.

This is the funniest PB thread for a while.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

taffys said:

'Thick as mince' with an estimated worth of £11 million.

Good job she isn't as clever as you Malcolm or she'd be hunting in the gutter for pennies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Well i don't agree with him and shall say so in or out of any group.

PS -- I am not right wing I am "anyone but Labour" as most long term posters on here already know
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Alison Johnstone the Green? Ruth Davidson is pretty talented but I don't see how she could manage that.

Ruth needs to tread the same path as the next SLAb leader and declare UDI establishing a Scottish Conservative party like the CSU. Scottish politics will never be the same post referendum and all of the unionist parties that want to survive have to recognise this.
    David , telling that even you a party stalwart don't even know the Johnstone I was talking about. I disagree on talented mind you for Davidson and as she is a London puppet it will be next leader who tries to really revive the Tories.
    They better hurry up though or they will miss the bus completely.
  • Options

As a simple matter of fact, he hasn't. He was sentenced to five years in prison in 2012, so the fact that he is now out means he has not "served his time". He's been let off early, for no apparent reason.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

The clientele can make their own minds up. If they stay away because Klass is a crap choice given her odious-to-the-masses view on the Mansion Tax, then that hurts Littlewoods which hurts the Barclays. How does it hurt the clientele?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Looks to me like the days of Torygraph Blogs are numbered. Only 13 posts so far this month, 5 of them from Dan Hannan and only one post since last Sunday.

Why do you think this is: is the Telegraph ending free blogs for all time?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

I agree with this

So you're another one who thinks it's ok to try to hound a woman out of her job because of her view on a proposed tax.. Ok

Nothing to do with the tax which I think is just a gimmick the Tories would avoid paying, my reason is the stupidity and lack of compassion the nasty millionaire has for the public. A stupid nonentity with no class.
  • Options
    Hmm.. Getting a bit stroppy on here now.

FWIW, I agree with DavidL. I might disagree with BigJohnOwls on this point (strongly) but I also met him on Friday night and found him to be a nice, sociable guy. Even though we have different political views, that did not prevent us from having a very pleasant and friendly conversation.

I'm off to do the Sunday lunch.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Moses_ said:

Nice

Some of them aren't too high on 'self awareness', are they?

• Options

As a simple matter of fact, he hasn't. He was sentenced to five years in prison in 2012, so the fact that he is now out means he has not "served his time". He's been let off early, for no apparent reason.
    Its release on license after half the term.

Almost everyone gets this.

There's nothing odd about it.

• Options

He got the call correct over Ms Klass. I said he would receive no credit on here
    It's far too soon to judge that. The story is still in its infancy, especially in terms of the Mansion Tax casualties and former NuLab's London seats.
    I think you are wrong - but I suspect you won't concede the point if you are. The Conservative echo chamber soon grows silent when the facts get their boots on.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Nothing could match the mob antics of the Nats during the referendum campaign, hounding anyone who dared to support No.
    LOL. change the record you dullard. Have an original thought one of these times. Next you will be telling me the Russians are bad and want to Nuke us.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

I agree with this

Nothing to do with the tax which I think is just a gimmick the Tories would avoid paying, my reason is the stupidity and lack of compassion the nasty millionaire has for the public. A stupid nonentity with no class.
    So you're ok with the hate campaign against her because she's rich and you don't like her?

• Options

malcolmg said:

taffys said:

Let them eat turnip.
    LOL, not quite as good as cake though
  • Options

Socrates said:

Labour MPs tell me that their disaffected constituents are much more likely to vote Ukip than they are to vote Conservative – there is a taboo about the Tories that doesn't apply to Ukip no matter how much "more Tory than Tory" Labour people claim it is.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/rochester-byelection-a-little-respect-goes-a-long-way-ed-miliband-9877702.html

The Tories aren't toxic because of being right wing, but because they're seen as the party of the upper class.

I think that's right. Where I've met UKIP voters in WWC areas, they almost always say they prefer us to the Tories. We make the obvious tactical vote argument; about half appear to be open to persuasion, the other half say stuff that, I'll vote UKIP anyway. Since we're on top of the contact rate overall, we're spending time to discuss it rather than saying "Oh well" and hurrying on as we iusually would.

It's not quite a class thing. I don't masquerade as a working-class bloke, but I'm happy to chat on an equal basis to anyone and I'm open to learn about the realities of life in a tough world where I can, within the limits of my generally Guaradianish world view. I find people are OK with that - I don't get active anti-intellectual never-seen-you-with-a-pint reactions. If you're genuine and friendly that'll do.

Presumably the same sort of conversation goes on in Tory-Kipper encounters. But it's one reason why the weak Tory ground game is a problem for them - they just aren't identifying the waverers as effectively, because just throwing glossy leaflets and emails at voters Does Not Work with Kippers.
    While it might surprise some to read this, there is a lot of good in elements of the liberal left. I think some of their ideas are very misguided and anthropologically naive and will cause a lot of damage to society, and some of them are extreme, but not all of them by any means. If someone is of that political view and honest about it I don't have a great problem judging them by their works and asked to choose between them and a Tory only concerned with the wealthy it wouldn't be a difficult choice.

The problem the Liberal left has is that it is seen in many quarters as the onlyview and any other view is seen as morally inferior, which is seriously rubbing people up the wrong way.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

taffys said:

'Thick as mince' with an estimated worth of £11 million.

Good job she isn't as clever as you Malcolm or she'd be hunting in the gutter for pennies.
    Oh poor diddums did it rain on your cardboard box and put you in a bad mood.
    Even a dullard like you should know that she did not "earn" her money using brain power.
  • Options
    I'm off now. Just under an hour to go until the title decider begins. Nyoooooooooom!
  • Options
    What, exactly, is Klass accused of, that she should lose her Littlewoods contract? That she is rich? Out of touch? Didn't condemn the Bedroom Tax? I only saw a brief clip, and thought her argument incoherent and a lttle whiney, but is that enough that Llittlewoods should bin her?
    If those were her crimes, then any celebrity, advertising anything, who hasn't come out and denounced the Bedroom Tax is in trouble.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Swiss_Bob said:

Moses_ said:

Nice

Actually it isn't. its pretty nasty and some of the comments here show what it would be like if the lunatics took over the asylum.

I
  • Options

Isn't it standard practice? Rather than 'no apparent reason'?

Looks like the 'court of public opinion' in an ugly mood today. What price the rehabilitation of offenders?

• Options
    Moses_ said:

malcolmg said:

Well i don't agree with him and shall say so in or out of any group.

PS -- I am not right wing I am "anyone but Labour" as most long term posters on here already know
    There is a big difference between disagreeing with his personal opinion to the vitriol being posted here against him. The idiots are so stupid they are proposing to do exactly what they are decrying him for doing. You could not make it up , I expect several of them would have difficulty tying their shoelaces
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Nice

Nice

Has it occurred to you that, in the UK, Parliament determines the guidelines for judges, and the courts impose punishments (once guilt is determined)?

The punishment imposed was a period of time in jail.

Not jail plus an inability to pursue his chosen career.

What you are advocating is lynch law and mob "justice". How vile.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    As regards pop stars & politicians, surely Paul Heaton called the Ched Evans saga right,

"I firmly believe that Ched Evans has the right to rebuild his career in football but rebuilding a career should not involve walking straight out of prison and into the shirt of the club he so badly let down. I believe he needs to move away and move on, and the club itself needs to lift its reputation out of the gutter."

As regards Myleene Klass, Labour should start be getting all their London supporters completely on side. It just looks mean & vindictive to punish Myleene for saying pretty much what Joan Bakewell, a Labour peer, has said. Admittedly, Joan said it more eloquently.
  • Options

In my view there's something extremely odd about the fact that our justice system is built on sytematic lies about how severe punishment is going to be. Regardless, early release has been denied in cases when there is no evidence of remorse.

A remorseful rapist doesn't post pictures of his victim on the night of the crime on the internet and invite people to "judge for themselves".
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Moses_ said:

Nice

Apply to The Watcher for membership of the BJO lynch mob.

I can understand if you think a rapist who doesnt show remorse should be allowed to get his job back.

I can understand you want to see the out of touch millionaire who cant tell the difference between a garage and a mansion to be the face of Littlewoods.

I don't.

I presume you want PB to become CONHOME.

The PB right wing lynch mob got Tim and Hugh so i guess they think its the way to go.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

The clientele can make their own minds up. If they stay away because Klass is a crap choice given her odious-to-the-masses view on the Mansion Tax, then that hurts Littlewoods which hurts the Barclays. How does it hurt the clientele?
    Well for me being an intelligent chap , it shows that despite all her money she is an insensitive not very bright individual. Obviously been very fortunate not to have been dependent on her brain power to earn her living and has few saving graces or clue that there are actually unfortunate people who cannot even imagine £2 million never mind pay it for a garage. Not much of a human being to my mind.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

David , telling that even you a party stalwart don't even know the Johnstone I was talking about. I disagree on talented mind you for Davidson and as she is a London puppet it will be next leader who tries to really revive the Tories.
    They better hurry up though or they will miss the bus completely.
    Sorry Malcolm I only have a limited interest in local government.
  • Options

As regards Myleene Klass, Labour should start be getting all their London supporters completely on side. It just looks mean & vindictive to punish Myleene for saying pretty much what Joan Bakewell, a Labour peer, has said. Admittedly, Joan said it more eloquently.

Anyone who thinks two million pounds is a trivial amount of money is, on balance, a net drag on the Labour Party. Why don't we ask White Van Dan if he'd be prepared to slum it in a £2m 'garage'?
  • Options

As regards pop stars & politicians, surely Paul Heaton called the Ched Evans saga right,

"I firmly believe that Ched Evans has the right to rebuild his career in football but rebuilding a career should not involve walking straight out of prison and into the shirt of the club he so badly let down. I believe he needs to move away and move on, and the club itself needs to lift its reputation out of the gutter."

That sound's pretty reasonable to me.

• Options
    Because I'm so appalled by dirty John Owls and his Internet hate campaign against the fragrant Myleene Klass, I have just purchased her 2004 solo album Moving On.

It contains this track where she plays some of the music from Braveheart. What an enjoyable coincidence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TqHyc1firM
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Moses_ said:

Nice

I can understand if you think a rapist who doesnt show remorse should be allowed to get his job back.

I can understand you want to see the out of touch millionaire who cant tell the difference between a garage and a mansion to be the face of Littlewoods.

I don't.

The PB right wing lynch mob got Tim and Hugh so i guess they think its the way to go.
    Your problem is that you don't understand full stop.

Please quote any comment on the subject on this thread where I have intimated, or better yet stated either of these 'views' you try to ascribe to me.

Then stop wasting my time with the nonsense going on inside your head.

• Options
    Charles said:

Nice

Nice

Has it occurred to you that, in the UK, Parliament determines the guidelines for judges, and the courts impose punishments (once guilt is determined)?

The punishment imposed was a period of time in jail.

Not jail plus an inability to pursue his chosen career.

What you are advocating is lynch law and mob "justice". How vile.
    Evans shows no remorse. Until he does so he should not just go back to his job IMO.

His website still hounds the victim FFS she is on her 3rd name and location since Evans conviction.

Remind me what is vile
  • Options

Swiss_Bob said:

Moses_ said:

Nice

I don't.

I have never grasped why the Conservative cheerleader rump of this forum seemingly wishes to reduce the site to exclusively Conservative cheerleaders. Does talking to yourself all day ever increase your wisdom? I doubt it, but it may be more comfortable.
  • Options

Out on licence presumably.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Swiss_Bob said:

Moses_ said:

Nice

I don't.

Your problem is that you don't understand full stop.

Please quote any comment on the subject on this thread where I have intimated, or better yet stated either of these 'views' you try to ascribe to me.

Then stop wasting my time with the nonsense going on inside your head.
    EDIT I have never asked anyone here to be banned, I never will, I haven't even asked that offensive comments be deleted.

• Options

isam said:

Hi

Sorry I missed you too. I left at about 2130 to get the 2200 from St Pancras. Generally these events are busiest between 7pm and 8.30.

Hi Mike

Yes a shame... I did see you as I got there and was going to say hello then you left! Next time I will be there more promptly, no excuse really I live less than half an hour away
  • Options

Because I'm so appalled by dirty John Owls and his Internet hate campaign against the fragrant Myleene Klass, I have just purchased her 2004 solo album Moving On.

It contains this track where she plays some of the music from Braveheart. What an enjoyable coincidence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TqHyc1firM

The just giving site to pay her MT has been taken down so need another 2999 downloads at £1 a throw to Myleene and year one is sorted.
  • Options

Out on licence presumably.
    In which case he's still serving his time, and I'd argue therefore it's not accurate to say he should be allowed to wipe the slate clean. Frankly I'd argue he should be recalled to prison for the ongoing harassment of the woman he chose to rape, but never mind.
  • Options

He got the call correct over Ms Klass. I said he would receive no credit on here - so overwhelmingly do Conservative cheerleaders dominate the discourse - and I was absolutely right it would seem! It is gallant to sometimes give credit to one's opponents.
    So you keep saying. Now it hasn't (yet / apparently) affected the polls, that's true.

But it certainly maintained media coverage around the "Ed is weak" theme. And, I suspect, that played a role in his over-reaction in sacking Thornbury - which has led to a lot of noise but, perhaps more importantly, took the heat off Cameron at a potentially difficult time.

And, I suspect, the impression of Ed Milband getting beasted by a minor pop star (whether fair or not) is one that may sink into the popular conciousness
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    "Anyone who thinks two million pounds is a trivial amount of money is, on balance, a net drag on the Labour Party."

It so happens that I agree with this.

But, I think the petition against a pop star with a room temperature IQ just looks spiteful when there is disagreement within Labour.
  • Options

I have never grasped why the Conservative cheerleader rump of this forum seemingly wishes to reduce the site to exclusively Conservative cheerleaders. Does talking to yourself all day ever increase your wisdom? I doubt it, but it may be more comfortable.

If anyone here were to actively promote an Internet hate campaign against someone for expressing a perfectly reasonable political opinion, I'd attack them the same way.

It's not my fault that it's more likely that lefties behave that way.

• Options

Believe @SeanT (who is an occasional blogger there) mentioned they are reviewing their future strategy at the moment - so either close down or scale back
  • Options
    SandraMSandraM Posts: 206
    On thread, I saw a transmission of "This House" last year and found it excellent. I'm old enough to remember the 70s and how MPs who were extremely ill and in some cases literally dying were brought in ambulances to the forecourt of the Palace of Westminster so that they could be nodded through for a key vote.
    It made me question how many of the present MPs would be prepared to make that sort of sacrifice.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @tnewtondunn: Startling finding in @YouGov poll of Sun readers today; 25% still vote Labour, but just 6% have Ed Mili as best PM http://t.co/ZnPV7MP0Xz
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,056
    Why are people getting in a huff about Mylene Klass - she is a nobody who claims she can sing etc. - to be honest, I've never heard of her. Ed Milliband on the other hand is leader of the Labour party and more likely than not will be our next PM (check betting odds if you're not convinced...)
  • Options

In my view there's something extremely odd about the fact that our justice system is built on sytematic lies about how severe punishment is going to be. Regardless, early release has been denied in cases when there is no evidence of remorse.

A remorseful rapist doesn't post pictures of his victim on the night of the crime on the internet and invite people to "judge for themselves".
    I don't know all the details of the case, but I believe it turns on (a) whether consent was given and (b) whether consent was capable of being given.

Evans believes the answer to both questions was 'yes'. The jury certainly disagreed on (b) - I don't know what they thought on (a).

Assuming that there is no inconvertible evidence (eg medical) on question (b) then I have some sympathy for Evans not showing remorse if he genuinely doesn't believe he is guilty. The hounding, though, is ungentlemanly at the least
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Well for me being an intelligent chap , it shows that despite all her money she is an insensitive not very bright individual. Obviously been very fortunate not to have been dependent on her brain power to earn her living and has few saving graces or clue that there are actually unfortunate people who cannot even imagine £2 million never mind pay it for a garage. Not much of a human being to my mind.
    There are lots of good looking, hard working people who don't make £11m.

Some of it is down to luck, some of it may be good advice, but at the least she has commercial judgement.

That, to me, counts as brain power
This discussion has been closed.