Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Letting ‘I dare not” wait upon ‘I would,’Like the poor cat i’ the adage – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,730
edited May 12 in General
Letting ‘I dare not” wait upon ‘I would,’Like the poor cat i’ the adage – politicalbetting.com

I have listened very carefully to the vision @JohnSwinney set out this morning for Scotland.I welcomed, and embrace, his commitment to ensure internal respect for robust and divergent debate in the party, which is the lifeblood of any democratic institution like the SNP. /1

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    So, you're expecting that Sir Kier Starmer will prove to be Malleus Scrotum on election night?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,594
    Second!
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,751
    Sean_F said:

So, you're expecting that Sir Kier Starmer will prove to be Malleus Scrotum on election night?

No, Hammer of the Scot Nats.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876
    The Vicar of Bath not impressed:

So basically the SNP stall for another two years. And then they'll be out of power so the pressure will be off. Indy is dead for a decade minimum. Well done, Sturgeon fans.

https://x.com/WingsScotland/status/1786030461317161376
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,293
    @ScotTories

As SNP leader in the early 2000s and more recently as Nicola Sturgeon's deputy, John Swinney has been at the heart of some of the SNP's most toxic policies.

How will going back to the future get the SNP out of the mess they're in?

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,269
    Sean_F said:

KEIR.

K–––E–––I–––R.

I'd expect much better of you Sean!
  • Options

So basically the SNP stall for another two years. And then they'll be out of power so the pressure will be off. Indy is dead for a decade minimum. Well done, Sturgeon fans.

NFS fans please explain?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,804

He’s not wrong. That’s it
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    FPT
    kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Further thoughts on Paris. It really depends where you go. The left bank is generally much better. The 6th and 7th look fine. Even around Gare Montparnasse it looks civilised

It’s as soon as you cross the Seine and it’s anywhere in and around the 1st and 2nd, and of course, the Gare du Nord

I’m about 300m from the Opera and I just saw a guy lying flat out on the bare sidewalk, face down, apparently comatose. Fentanyl or Tranq I presume

You just didn’t see shit like that 20 years ago. Maybe even 5 years ago

It’s particularly noticeable in Paris BECAUSE it was once so pristine - and always beautiful. Now she’s like a model that got beaten up and lost three teeth and potentially an eye

I don't think it would be fent. Even our govt has the good sense to be monitoring the sewage for it and I am sure if the french found it the press would be full of omg le fent en Europe stories

Excellent piece on what the us drug problem looks like in phoenix Arizona (doubly sad because phoenix Arizona features in the most feel good song ever written)

https://walkingtheworld.substack.com/p/walking-phoenix
    By The Time I Get To Phoenix?

That's more of a feel-melancholy song imo. Also a good example of how the vastness and diversity of America gives them such a songwriting advantage.

By the time I get to Crawley she'll be ... well whatever she'll be doing it doesn't work at all, does it.
    "I never thought it would happen with me & the girl from Clapham..."
    I think the UK has decent songwriting scope. You have the Scottish Highlands, London, (think Baker Street, Waterloo Sunset). Sadly Wales and Cornwall haven't been successfully mined for pop songs.
    London has a lot of songs. Including one of the most beautiful songs ever written:

A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square

I reckon the Tori Amos version from Good Omens is particularly fine

https://youtu.be/Q3VchDN_vN8?si=9ej6H9-I65-CQNIZ
    London also has Waterloo Sunset, which I would contend is also one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

I have a thing about songs written on the vague theme of 'home', even if it's not my own home. See also:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?
    Big River by Jimmy Nail (Newcastle)

Two Fingers by Jake Bugg (Nottingham)

Sheffield Sex City by Pulp (er, Sheffield).
    California by Joni Mitchell (California)

Or if you want to broaden your horizons
    Et jitt kei Wood by Cat Ballou (Cologne)

Locals say that Cologne is the city that has the most songs about it in the world. No idea if it's true, but I don't know anywhere else where even immigrants who don't speak the dialect know at least the choruses of dozens of songs about the place.

Grown men cry every time they sing along to:

"Su simmer all he hinjekumme,
    mir sprechen hück all dieselve Sproch.
    Mir han dodurch su vill jewonne.
    Mir sin wie mer sin, mir Jecke am Rhing.
    Dat es jet ,wo mer stolz drop sin" by Bläck Fööss
    kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Further thoughts on Paris. It really depends where you go. The left bank is generally much better. The 6th and 7th look fine. Even around Gare Montparnasse it looks civilised

It’s as soon as you cross the Seine and it’s anywhere in and around the 1st and 2nd, and of course, the Gare du Nord

I’m about 300m from the Opera and I just saw a guy lying flat out on the bare sidewalk, face down, apparently comatose. Fentanyl or Tranq I presume

It’s particularly noticeable in Paris BECAUSE it was once so pristine - and always beautiful. Now she’s like a model that got beaten up and lost three teeth and potentially an eye

I don't think it would be fent. Even our govt has the good sense to be monitoring the sewage for it and I am sure if the french found it the press would be full of omg le fent en Europe stories

Excellent piece on what the us drug problem looks like in phoenix Arizona (doubly sad because phoenix Arizona features in the most feel good song ever written)

That's more of a feel-melancholy song imo. Also a good example of how the vastness and diversity of America gives them such a songwriting advantage.

By the time I get to Crawley she'll be ... well whatever she'll be doing it doesn't work at all, does it.
    I think the UK has decent songwriting scope. You have the Scottish Highlands, London, (think Baker Street, Waterloo Sunset). Sadly Wales and Cornwall haven't been successfully mined for pop songs.
    London has a lot of songs. Including one of the most beautiful songs ever written:

London also has Waterloo Sunset, which I would contend is also one of the most beautiful songs ever written.

I have a thing about songs written on the vague theme of 'home', even if it's not my own home. See also:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?

Locals say that Cologne is the city that has the most songs about it in the world. No idea if it's true, but I don't know anywhere else where even immigrants who don't speak the dialect know at least the choruses of dozens of songs about the place.

Cologne is quite an ugly town (“sorry about that” - the RAF) with a noble cathedral

I’m finding it hard to believe it has the “most songs written about it” of any city in the world

I would guess at New York, with london and Paris not far behind

You may be right, but there are lots of new songs about Cologne written every year for carnival, some of which enter the canon. It's a bit like songs about Christmas in England - even if you don't like Christmas you'll know quite a few Christmas songs, and new ones are written every year to add to the traditional ones and more recent 'classics'.

I certainly know a hell of a lot more songs about Cologne than about London (where I also lived), despite not speaking the language they are sung in!
    I presume you mean you can't speak Kölsch rather than can't speak German!
  • Options

NFS fans please explain?
    @BrianSpanner1

How it started. How it's going.

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530

Well as he lives in Bath what business is it of his?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,530
    Scott_xP said:

NFS fans please explain?
    @BrianSpanner1

How it started. How it's going.

Surely a shot of a police van would be better?
  • Options
    O/T but this is the latest pearl of wisdom from Moscow Marjorie:

"The deep-state dog bots on X mock Americans by selling my MUGAhat™ to fund bombs for Ukraine. But if even a single dollar from the sales of my hat reaches Ukraine, my lawyers will speak to you, and you'll regret it."
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,471
    edited May 2
    Good afternoon

I agree with this and it is a lesson for the conservative party

Just as Swinney will take the hit so will Sunak, which can lay the foundation for new leaders and hopefully new direction post GE 24 and Holyrood 2026
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,035
    FPT...

Sadiq now 1.01 on BX.

In 2016 Khan received 44.2% of the vote and Labour received 40.3% in the London Assembly list. So Khan was +3.9 on his party.

In 2021 Khan received 40.0% of the vote and Labour received 38.1% in the London Assembly list. So Khan was +1.9 on his party.

Wonder what that will look like this time?
    Be interesting to see if there is more tactical voting with the introduction of FPP.
    Polling for the London race so far suggests the other parties are doing better than last time, contrary to what one might expect under FPTP. Of course, that may also be to do with dissatisfaction with the choice from the big two parties and/or voters presuming the result is a foregone conclusion.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,219
    The header quote is about cowardice rather than calculation, so not entirely apt in this case.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,733
    TSE's judgement is a little harsh. No-one compelled Swinney to stand, but in the circumstances, once he does, Forbes is entitled to come to the judgment that she can't win. That's politics. She won't want 2 losses of leadership race on her record. There is no evidence that she would not have stood if she could have won. There is evidence of a strong 'anyone but Forbes' faction. That's politics too.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,207

Plus he's a Vicar. So there's that.

:)
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,733
    Leon said:

He’s not wrong. That’s it
    Probably. There is no route to independence which bypasses SNP competence in governing the massive remit they currently have, and the persuasion and capturing of the centre, both left and right. SFAICS only Forbes gets that, so keeping her out of the leadership would be a very good thing for us unionists.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,251
    edited May 2
    algarkirk said:

TSE's judgement is a little harsh. No-one compelled Swinney to stand, but in the circumstances, once he does, Forbes is entitled to come to the judgment that she can't win. That's politics. She won't want 2 losses of leadership race on her record. There is no evidence that she would not have stood if she could have won. There is evidence of a strong 'anyone but Forbes' faction. That's politics too.

Indeed. If she stood now and lost again she couldn't have credibly stood in the future. Its generally two chances and that's it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

"The deep-state dog bots on X mock Americans by selling my MUGAhat™ to fund bombs for Ukraine. But if even a single dollar from the sales of my hat reaches Ukraine, my lawyers will speak to you, and you'll regret it."

Order your own MUGA hat here:

https://www.saintjavelin.com/products/muga-cap-pre-order
    The Forsyth County protests of 1987 probably did a lot to shape Moscow Marjorie's political outlook. Two black families had moved into the district, then 99% white, to be met with burning crosses on their lawns. There was a protest march about this, and a counter-demonstration against it.

One acquaintance of mine says a black journalist colleague of hers was sent to cover the protests. She'd never been racially abused before in her life, but during an afternoon there, she was called "N****r" 33 times (she made a note each time).
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,006
    viewcode said:

Plus he's a Vicar. So there's that.

:)
    What's his wife's view on this?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    As well as the normal elections today there are also 71 local by-elections. In terms of defences it is Con 20, Lab 31, LD 15, Green 2, and Others 3.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,638
    It sounds like Forbes has managed to get more from Swinney by talking to him than by running against him.

It's a good sign for the SNP that their internal divisions have not reached Game of Tories levels, where the losers are expelled from the party.

Can they convince the voters?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    The voters did not give SNP sufficient support alone to enable a Forbes leadership. The Greens bascially veto her candidacy.

Therefore, although it’s possible that Swinney is sub-optimal for SINDY hopes, one must blame the voters themselves, rather than internal SNP decision-making.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,293

Presumably he's another patriotic Englishman, who supports Scottish independence, so as to reduce the drain on the Exchequer.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Sean_F said:

KEIR.

K–––E–––I–––R.

I'd expect much better of you Sean!
    You'll never get to see the end of the Kier show....
  • Options

Can they convince the voters?

nope
  • Options
    Sunak has seen off the leadership of Scotland, Wales, NI....
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,638

...West Midlands, Teesside..?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Fortunately, it is likely that multiple dollars will make it to Ukraine, so the lawyers are likely to remain untroubled.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,559
    FPT: Two general points: First, the "Jim Crow" laws were mainly about enforcing segregation:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Crow_laws
    So, I wouldn't use "Jim Crow" to describe requiring voter IDs, something found in many democratic nations.

Second, Republicans often accuse Democrats of vote fraud*; Democrats often accuse Repulicans of vote suppression. Both are sometimes right, but far less often than they claim.
    And Democrats sometimes suppress votes, just as Republicans sometimes commit vote fraud.

I doubt whether TSE is old enough to have heard this classic American joke, but everyone interested in American election history should know it:

While Lyndon Johnson was president, he goes out on Lake Michigan in a small boat with then Vice President Hubert Humphrey and Chicago Mayor Richard Daley. A storm comes up. There is only one life jacket. The three agree to vote on who gets it. Johnson votes for himself, and Humphrey, our of loyalty, votes for Johnson, too.

When the votes are counted, they find that Daley won, 3-2.

(*As far as I can tell, now when vote fraud actually makes a difference in the outcome, it generally occurs in Democratic primaries, and is committed with postal ballots.)

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629

THE FIGHTBACK STARTS HERE!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I will be running a little competition this year, called the Dismal Sunak Lucky Guy Prediction Game. The job will be to predict in which constituencies the Conservatives (under Sunak) do least well.

PBers will need to forecast the three constituencies where:

(a) The Conservative vote falls the most in percentage terms
    (b) The Conservative vote falls most in absolute number of voters
    and
    (c) Where the smallest percentage of Conservative votes is

Given boundary changes, (a) will be judged relative to notional vote shares (Electoral Calculus will do), (b) will be based only on seats where there is a clear successor, and (c) is easy.

The prize will be a MUGA hat, made in Ukraine.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,629
    Has the collapse of the Bute House Agreement killed Independence stone-dead?
  • Options
    On the subject of the elections of the day...

Where's counting tonight? And where do we need to wait for tomorrow?

I mention this, because I'm flying to England today.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

I will be running a little competition this year, called the Dismal Sunak Lucky Guy Prediction Game. The job will be to predict in which constituencies the Conservatives (under Sunak) do least well.

and

Given boundary changes, (a) will be judged relative to notional vote shares (Electoral Calculus will do), (b) will be based only on seats where there is a clear successor, and (c) is easy.

For each of the categories: 5 points for first, 4 for for second, etc.

The tiebreaker is: what will Sunak's voteshare in Richmond be?
  • Options

I doubt it.
    Polling shows a larger drop in support for the SNP than for independence, which rather suggests the opposite.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,579
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

Far be it from me to query your methodology, but might we also have one for the Cons doing worst against UNS? Or is this essentially the same as (a)? I don't think it is but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I doubt it.
    Polling shows a larger drop in support for the SNP than for independence, which rather suggests the opposite.
    Separation is no more likely today than it was yesterday.

Which is no more likely than it has been since 2014
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    5 hours until we get the first pithy comments from party folk, and an initial sense of where we are
    I love election day
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

How would you count it, in the (mildly unlikely) event of his deciding not to to run again ?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,718

It has killed Humza Yousaf's reputation for numeracy stone dead.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

How would you count it, in the (mildly unlikely) event of his deciding not to to run again ?
    Then I get to keep the MUGA hat.
  • Options
    @SkyNews

SNP ‘faces point of difficulty’, says John Swinney as he launches leadership bid.

Speaking to Sky's @ConnorGillies, Mr Swinney refused to be drawn on whether his bid had the support of former SNP leader Nicola Sturgeon.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,594
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

The questions ever so slightly assume the way the election might go….? ;)
  • Options
    @ScotTories

Nicola Sturgeon’s finance secretary has now backed Nicola Sturgeon’s deputy in the contest to succeed Nicola Surgeon’s health secretary as SNP leader.

This is a continuity government that will continue to campaign on independence and ignore the issues that really matter.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,340
    eristdoof said:

FPT

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?

Cologne is quite an ugly town (“sorry about that” - the RAF) with a noble cathedral

I’m finding it hard to believe it has the “most songs written about it” of any city in the world

You may be right, but there are lots of new songs about Cologne written every year for carnival, some of which enter the canon. It's a bit like songs about Christmas in England - even if you don't like Christmas you'll know quite a few Christmas songs, and new ones are written every year to add to the traditional ones and more recent 'classics'.

I certainly know a hell of a lot more songs about Cologne than about London (where I also lived), despite not speaking the language they are sung in!
    tbh my German is riddled with errors, but get by. Kölsch can be impenetrable, but I've heard the songs so many times I'm starting to figure them out.

'Deutschunterricht, dat wor nix för mich
    Denn ming Sproch, die jov et do nit
    „Sprech ödentlich!“, hät de Mamm jesaht
    „Di Zeuchnis, dat weed keine Hit“
    Ich sprech doch nur ming eijene Sproch
    Wuss nit, wat se vun mer will
    Ejal, wat ich saachen dät, et wor verkeeht'

(Deutschunterricht, das war nichts für mich,
    Denn meine Sprache, die gab es da nicht.
    "Sprech ordentlich!", hat die Mama gesagt,
    "Das Zeugnis, das wird kein Hit"
    Ich spreche doch nur meine eigene Sprache
    Ich wusste nicht, was sie von mir will
    Egal, was ich gesagt habe, es war verkehrt)
  • Options
    edited May 2
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

If i win I want the ultra rare Idi Amin MUGA hat
  • Options
    mickydroymickydroy Posts: 242

Good afternoon

I agree with this and it is a lesson for the conservative party

Just as Swinney will take the hit so will Sunak, which can lay the foundation for new leaders and hopefully new direction post GE 24 and Holyrood 2026

I would hope that this would be true, but I fear Sunak could prove to be a far more sensible leader than the one's that preceded him, and those that come directly after him
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,804
    oK can we stop talking about the British regions now, Scotchland is no more important than Lancashire or Powys or Newent
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

If not the Midge Ure one
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,934

Please can he also see off his own leadership of the UK asap.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

Far be it from me to query your methodology, but might we also have one for the Cons doing worst against UNS? Or is this essentially the same as (a)? I don't think it is but I'm happy to be proven wrong.
    'falls most in percentage terms' is a bit ambiguous, isn't it?

also would c) include Northern Ireland, or constituencies where they don't have a candidate (Speaker?)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    edited May 2
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Shropshire North (Greatest vote number drop & %)
    Riverside (Abs lowest) I assume we're excluding NI & Speaker.
    Sunak Richmond 40%
  • Options
    Leon said:

oK can we stop talking about the British regions now, Scotchland is no more important than Lancashire or Powys or Newent

But Scotland gave us the motor home farrago.

You cannot buy comedy gold like that.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nobody's laughing about 'Four Seasons Total Landscaping' now.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,207
    rcs1000 said:

On the subject of the elections of the day...

Where's counting tonight? And where do we need to wait for tomorrow?

I mention this, because I'm flying to England today.

God love you sir, but it's not going to make any difference to the result... :)
  • Options
    Getting Vonshitzenpants into the court record was perhaps not the smartest move my Trump's attorney.

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/summary-of-trump-contempt-hearing
    ...Blanche then complained about several of Cohen's social media posts about Trump, including one where he said that he wouldn't put any money in his prison commissary and one where he referred to Trump as "Vonshitzenpants," which resulted in laugher from the audience in the courtroom. He then argued that Cohen is going on TikTok every night disparaging Trump and making money off it. He closed by saying, "This is not a man who needs protection from a gag order."

Merchan then wanted Blanche to focus his arguments on the violation about the jury that he seemed most concerned about. Blanche argued that since Trump was talking about the jury as a whole instead of one particular juror, then it isn't a violation. Merchan seemed incredulous at that argument. ..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

OK.

Having read the comments, I'm changing the competition very slightly:

(a) The Conservatice vote drop in percentage points
    (b) The proportionally largest Conservative vote drop
    (c) The absolute Conservative vote drop (in terms of number of votes)
    and
    (d) The smallest percentage of Conservative votes

Obv, excluding Northern Ireland, the Speaker, and any other seats where there is no Conservative candidate.
  • Options
    On the mayoralties, West Mids knife edge fair enough but if Tees Valley isn't fairly in the bag then the Tories have spectacularly ballsed up expectations management. Houchen was saying in his interview yesterday Labour 'were struggling to get the vote out'. My feeling is you only risk that if you're confident of a double digit win.
    But this is the spanner party of limited brain
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    You think Helen Morgan will hang on?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    Which clarifies one question I had - whether we compare with 2019 votes or more recent byelection results where available. If it's with 2019 then North Shropshire as to be the top contender. Biggest Tory vote drop of all the byelections, and a popular Lib Dem incumbent who may not win this year but stands a chance.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    She doesn't need to. The Tory vote dropped by over 30% in the byelection, so even if they claw back enough to get the seat back the absolute drop may still be enough.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Getting Vonshitzenpants into the court record was perhaps not the smartest move my Trump's attorney.

...Blanche then complained about several of Cohen's social media posts about Trump, including one where he said that he wouldn't put any money in his prison commissary and one where he referred to Trump as "Vonshitzenpants," which resulted in laugher from the audience in the courtroom. He then argued that Cohen is going on TikTok every night disparaging Trump and making money off it. He closed by saying, "This is not a man who needs protection from a gag order."

Merchan then wanted Blanche to focus his arguments on the violation about the jury that he seemed most concerned about. Blanche argued that since Trump was talking about the jury as a whole instead of one particular juror, then it isn't a violation. Merchan seemed incredulous at that argument. ..

Blanche would be facing contempt charges too - if he weren't so dumb.

He'd previously lost the right to be taken seriously by the judge. How much lower can he plumb?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    Which clarifies one question I had - whether we compare with 2019 votes or more recent byelection results where available. If it's with 2019 then North Shropshire as to be the top contender. Biggest Tory vote drop of all the byelections, and a popular Lib Dem incumbent who may not win this year but stands a chance.
    It's mostly going to be versus notionals of course, much messier
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,166
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/02/minister-sorry-as-veterans-find-id-card-not-valid-for-english-elections

'A government spokesperson said it was the intention to add the veterans’ card to the list of accepted ID and that defence identity cards for serving armed forces members were already accepted. “We are already consulting on this,” they said.'
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,301
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    Apropos of not much.. North Shropshire is correct, whatever variations may do the rounds. County constituencies have the compass point before, boroughs after (Dudley North etc).

Anorak detail from the HoCL here: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/how-do-constituencies-get-their-names/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 2
    Sir Keir is a keen footballer, who often goes and watches the Arsenal. Yet listen to this and you’d think he had never heard of the game and was being fed answers by SPADs. But he wasn’t. Incredible

Anyway, here’s Keir Starmer’s answer when he was asked who should play up front for England

https://x.com/fistedaway/status/1575413214111834113?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    She doesn't need to. The Tory vote dropped by over 30% in the byelection, so even if they claw back enough to get the seat back the absolute drop may still be enough.
    My guess is that it will be neck and neck, with the Conservatives and the LibDems both in the mid 40s. That's about a seventeen point drop for the Conservative vote share. And I suspect that won't be a record.
  • Options
    I have a new favourite quote from a witness at the Post Office Horizon IT Inquiry:

"I recently reread my statement ... and it suddenly occurred to me that I wasn't in charge at the time."

This is not a joke.

https://twitter.com/lordbonkers/status/1785410487401816359
  • Options

TimS said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    It's mostly going to be versus notionals of course, much messier
    Very true.

The "winning" seats may very well be ones that don't currently exist.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    Apropos of not much.. North Shropshire is correct, whatever variations may do the rounds. County constituencies have the compass point before, boroughs after (Dudley North etc).

Anorak detail from the HoCL here: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/how-do-constituencies-get-their-names/
    I've often wondered about that. I'm not a fan of that kind of name anyway, but I've seen it done very inconsistently.

For what it is worth compass point after makes more sense to me, since if you were looking at them in a list it would make alll the ones for a county (at least those including the county name) easier to find.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,154
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/may/02/minister-sorry-as-veterans-find-id-card-not-valid-for-english-elections

'A government spokesperson said it was the intention to add the veterans’ card to the list of accepted ID and that defence identity cards for serving armed forces members were already accepted. “We are already consulting on this,” they said.'

Can’t even get their gerrymandering right!
  • Options
    edited May 2

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

On the reverse it should read:

“You can have freedom of speech. But, I cannot guarantee freedom after speech.”
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,003
    rcs1000 said:

TimS said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Sean_F said:

and

I'll go first up....

Sunak Richmond 40%
    My guess is that it will be neck and neck, with the Conservatives and the LibDems both in the mid 40s. That's about a seventeen point drop for the Conservative vote share. And I suspect that won't be a record.
    The current MP for Clwyd S is standing for the Cons for Shropshire N
  • Options

5 hours until we get the first pithy comments from party folk, and an initial sense of where we are
    I love election day

I would question whether initial pithy comments provide any actual sense of where things are, but it is a fun part of the process nonetheless.

If Labour do not win every seat in the country I think it shows that people are not that keen on Keir Starmer.

Too much for a Tory spokesman?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,166
    edited May 2

Carnyx said:

TBF I have no clear idea how ex-servicefolk vote relative to comparable socioeconomic and age groups, so can't judge what difference it makes. There certainly aren't as many as there used to be, though, in (say) 1945.

Edit: the two obvious ones on PB - absent any old enough to be National Servicemen - split 50:50, indeed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I love election day

I would question whether initial pithy comments provide any actual sense of where things are, but it is a fun part of the process nonetheless.

If Labour do not win every seat in the country I think it shows that people are not that keen on Keir Starmer.

For the Tories rather than the words I'll be watching if its the Jenrick squad or Rishi's Robots that are first out of the block which might hint at who feels their voice will carry more weight vs results
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Blanche would be facing contempt charges too - if he weren't so dumb.

He'd previously lost the right to be taken seriously by the judge. How much lower can he plumb?
    He's apparently a good lawyer, and at least he doesn't distract from the job by spending time in media studios, but he seems to be prioritising pleasing Trump with performances (apparently Trump has not been satisfied thus far) rather than focusing on the most effective arguments.

In fairness, Trump's 'never concede anything' style is putting many defences and tactics off limits for his lawyers.
  • Options
    isam said:

Sir Keir is a keen footballer, who often goes and watches the Arsenal. Yet listen to this and you’d think he had never heard of the game and was being fed answers by SPADs. But he wasn’t. Incredible

Anyway, here’s Keir Starmer’s answer when he was asked who should play up front for England

https://x.com/fistedaway/status/1575413214111834113?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

He probably couldn't bring himself to say it given Harry's former club!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,890

No.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    kamski said:

eristdoof said:

FPT

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?

tbh my German is riddled with errors, but get by. Kölsch can be impenetrable, but I've heard the songs so many times I'm starting to figure them out.

I know a few Karnival songs from Köln (e.g. Superjeilezick), mainly because I have a couple of friends from there who also play guitar. If I have the lyrics and I hear someone singing at the same time then I can get most of it, which is similar with your example. When I hear someone speaking Kölsch it's a completely different matter though, I can only understand a few words. People sing much more clearly and the accent itself is not as strong.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

If they’d planned this properly they would have gone systematically down the list of potential IDs, run statistical analysis on voting intention and then ended up with a mathematically more precise list of Tory-favouring IDs. Instead of the rather amateurish vibes-based list rooted in assumptions about what ID lefty millennials and Gen-Zers wouldn’t have.
  • Options
    Worcestershire spin bowler Josh Baker has died at the age of 20.

Baker made two County Championship appearances this season, the last against Durham at Kidderminster in April.

The left-armer made his first-class debut in 2021 and played 47 games in all formats, taking 70 wickets.

"The news of Josh’s passing has left us all devastated," said Worcestershire chief executive Ashley Giles.

The club has not said how Baker died.

He played in a county second XI fixture this week against Somerset at Bromsgrove School, taking three wickets on Wednesday after wet conditions meant no play was possible on the first two days.

Worcestershire's first XI do not have a County Championship fixture this week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/articles/cpegzx4kz5xo
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I love election day

The waiting around kills me. Why can’t we have electronic votes with a live tally as the day progresses? Much better for tactical voting.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,493
    Well been and done my civic duty. Looked like reasonable traffic given there’s only the PCC vote in this manor.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,562
    It’s a hell of a longwinded way of saying that the Greens won’t work with me so I will bide my time.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,934
    edited May 2

isam said:

He probably couldn't bring himself to say it given Harry's former club!
    Now now, it's not very nice of you to crumple the straw that ISAM's clutching there; he's desperate to prove that Starmer is a complete duffer but so far all his attempts have come to nowt.

This could be the key to it: Starmer hesitates on England team selection - he's blown the election hasn't he?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    Back from popping into town, passing two polling stations on my way there and on my way back.

Our polling station (in the C of E church): Turnout brisk - a mixture of oldies and the first of the after-work crowd.
    Polling station in town (community centre sort of place): Turnout steady - a couple of oldies, one of whom looked like an old Trot, and a bloke wearing a tie, so probably all voting Conservative.

Lovely late afternoon for a walk too. Fine weather benefiting Labour?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,796
    ToryJim said:

Well been and done my civic duty. Looked like reasonable traffic given there’s only the PCC vote in this manor.

People enjoy the thrill of drawing a cock and balls on their ballot.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,885

Leon said:

What a ridiculous remark.

You *can* buy comedy gold like that. It cost the SNP about £100k.
  • Options

Leon said:

Yeah but was it their money ? That’s what we really want to know.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Yeah but was it their money ? That’s what we really want to know.
    There are no requirements for KYC checks or reporting deals with PEPs, when purchasing Comedy Gold.
  • Options
    Things I learned today:

I defy anyone not to be absolutely amazed.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

kamski said:

eristdoof said:

FPT

kamski said:

Leon said:

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?

kamski said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

megasaur said:

Leon said:

Local Hero
    Country Road
    Oblong of Dreams
    Wichita Lineman

Any others?

I know a few Karnival songs from Köln (e.g. Superjeilezick), mainly because I have a couple of friends from there who also play guitar. If I have the lyrics and I hear someone singing at the same time then I can get most of it, which is similar with your example. When I hear someone speaking Kölsch it's a completely different matter though, I can only understand a few words. People sing much more clearly and the accent itself is not as strong.
    It's interesting because English popular music seems to have a tradition of lyrics that are hard to decipher (at least in some genres), doesn't seem to be so common in other languages. Has anyone else noticed this? And if it's true, what is the explanation?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Things I learned today:

I defy anyone not to be absolutely amazed.

I can imagine the reaction of the Wee Free
  • Options

No.
    Personally I think Nicola’s cowardice in 2015 killed it. At that point she had 56 of 59 Scottish MPs. If she had said they were not going to Westminster and that Scotland had voted for independence we would have had a genuine political crisis that was unlikely to be resolved with Scotland in the UK.

Thankfully, she bottled it , played the Westminster game and the moment passed. I don’t think it will come again in my lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.