Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I have no spur to prick the sides of my intent, but only vaulting ambition – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,914
    edited May 1

MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

I think this is a bad idea; anyone here think otherwise ?

The state ought not to be funding religiously segregated schools, IMO.

England scraps 50% rule on faith school admissions
    Allowing 100% faith-based access would be divisive and likely penalise disadvantaged children, say campaigners
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/may/01/england-scraps-50-rule-on-faith-school-admissions

In the medium and long run this will be one of the worst policies of this ridiculous government. It is beyond a bad idea.
    It's a curious policy decision to understand because the Right (e.g. on PB) is always going on about multiculturalism, segregation, ghettoes, etc. etc. and separate schooling can be a factor in sectarianism.

On the other hand, that 50% was for *new* faith schools, though. 100% is already OK for, for instance, C of E and RC schools unless I misunderstand? So it's unfair on (let's say) Jedi Knights for the new (say) Han Solo College to be restricted to 50% JKs when St Aloysius or St Michael's down the road aren't.

It was a messy but probably justifiable compromise. Forcing long established Catholic schools to abandon their status was a battle governments didn't want (or were scared) to fight.
    Most C of E schools (the majority of faith schools) aren't particularly sectarian anyway, I think ?

The new policy is a move very much in the wrong direction, IMO.
    Wait till the Saudis fund chains of madrassas like they did in Pakistan.
    AIUI in the 1960s, 1970s, and 1980s they did a lot of that via a different route. Supporting Mosques which all had madrassas / education programmes of various types attached. The sectarian issue was around control of the training and appointment of Imams, also around the competition between Saudi and Iran to influence the Muslim community.

Do you remember how in the Bosnian / Serbian / Croatian etc wars Iran offered to accept 10k children to be safely educated in Iran.

Even today the trustees of the Regents Park Mosque are 22 ambassadors from muslim countries:
    https://www.iccuk.org/page.php?section=about&page=news280

I don't think the latter is necessarily a problem, but I could see some of our populist right trying to use it as a not-quite-racist concern trolling wedge issue. I won't be telling Mr Anderson.
    Not to mention the funding of certain, interesting, preachers into prisons.

When prison staff complained about such people being let in, they were told that it was a Foreign Office matter.
    It's always been notable that in secular Turkey all Imams are state employees. This was set up by Ataturk in 1924.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directorate_of_Religious_Affairs

("Secular" has rather broken down in the last couple of decades.)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,180
    edited May 1

It's fascinating how many people, both on here and elsewhere, regard Sadiq Khan as a bit obnoxious but can't quite put their finger on why he's obnoxious.
    Curious.

Rishi Sunak is a good example of a non-obnoxious politician, even if you disagree with his policies.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,408

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

Miss Vance, the line against Forbes may not be misogyny, as a similar approach was taken against the Lib Dem chap whose name escapes me.

Farron (whom I felt a bit sorry for).

There are different approaches, but it's fine, in my opinion, to have personal views for oneself that are out of step with the party line, but not really possible to have personal views on what other people should do (or call them sinners) that are out of step with party line.

Take me - I don't think I would ever want an abortion for a child of mine, under any circumstances except danger to the mother or (possibly - and I'm not sure about this) knowing the foetus had severe abnormalities that would dramatically shorten life and lead to a poor quality of life in that time. But I absolutely believe in the rights of women to have control over their bodies and have abortions up to [some date - which is debatable, but I think the current UK threshold is reasoonable] for any reason. I could lead the Lib Dems with that viewpoint, but I don't think I could lead the Lib Dems if I thought abortion was a sin and quietly wanted it banned for others.
    This is absolutely the crux of it. The acid test for me is how you'd vote if a bill came along with a free 'personal conscience' vote on banning (say) abortion or gay marriage. If you'd vote for that bill you should not be leading (or even be in) a progressive party. If you'd vote against it despite believing these things to be sinful on account of your religious faith you're fine.

Did Farron pass this test? Does Forbes?
    The SNP, though, is primarily a party seeking independence for Scotland.
    There's still something of a tussle about its position in the political spectrum, AFAIK. Certainly is attract votes from the right as well as left of centre.

Having a debate about the ideological position of the next leader seems entirely fair to me (and the suggestion that's 'misogyny' little more than a smear(.

The difference with Hamza is that he was never likely to have any real impact on what the party professes to believe in, and everyone knew that.
    Yes perhaps the SNP will reverse much of the direction taken under Sturgeon. Choosing Forbes would indicate they intend to. There's no law that says they have to be a progressive party of the left. They haven't always been after all. This is an opportunity to thrash that out, I guess.

Misogyny towards Forbes? There will be plenty (since she's a high profile woman of power and influence) but I don't think raising her religious views in the context of her leadership bid is evidence of that.
    It’s a fundamental problem for Nationalist parties, isn’t it!
    “We want independence! What do we do after we’ve got it? Worry about that when we’ve got it!”
    Plaid Cymru regularly navel-gaze over the question. The debate in their case is encouraged by that over the language.
    England's nationalist party certainly hadn't work out what they wanted to do with independence when they got it.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    Nigelb said:

Allowing 100% faith-based access would be divisive and likely penalise disadvantaged children, say campaigners
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/may/01/england-scraps-50-rule-on-faith-school-admissions

Completely agreed.

I would add one little mentioned element when it comes to faith schools is they are legally allowed to ask for the candidates religion and discriminate when it comes to recruitment of teachers on the basis of the candidates faith.

I could understand having to respect the character of the school, which people of other faiths or none can do, but to be able to say during recruitment "not hiring them as they're Christian/Muslim/Jewish/atheist/whatever" should not be OK.

So it's not simply that children are excluded, but the teaching staff can be influenced by outright discrimination. And those are the people then teaching the segregated children.

How this is OK in the 21st Century is beyond me.
  • Options

Forgive me, I have just arrived and don't really have time to go through all of your "inspired" and "thoughtful" discussions on Church Schools, but I have an anecdote for you. I was Chair of Governors of a Church of England primary school for nearly 30 years. For about 15 of those years, the specific and stated Admissions Policy of the school was that children of Church attenders went to the BOTTOM of the admissions queue, not the top. That's because the Church regarded its job - including the provision of Primary School education - as being for the benefit of its non-members, not the faithful.

(The only reason we changed it was because of pressure from the Teachers - they wanted to increase the relationship with the Church.)

So, pick the bones out of that.

That doesn't surprise me.

Attacking and denigrating its own supporters is a pretty fundamental principle for the CoE clergy.
    I don't see clergy setting the policy for CofE affiliated schools.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,712

So, it looks like we’re going to be doing this whole bunch of guys (or at least people siding with a guy) monster the young woman and parade her as some sort of witch thing, again …. how enlightened

https://x.com/chrismusson/status/1785396751320395901

I see the sexist witch hunt against Kate Forbes is in full swing again this morning amongst some of our male commentariat. Cynical misrepresentation of her positions positively dripping with misogyny.

https://x.com/joannaccherry/status/1785559102472516077?

I'm not sure these defenders of Kate Forbes do her any favours. The "young woman" is 34 and a possible candidate for First Minister, not 17 and wearing a low-cut dress to the school prom.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

Miss Vance, the line against Forbes may not be misogyny, as a similar approach was taken against the Lib Dem chap whose name escapes me.

There are different approaches, but it's fine, in my opinion, to have personal views for oneself that are out of step with the party line, but not really possible to have personal views on what other people should do (or call them sinners) that are out of step with party line.

Take me - I don't think I would ever want an abortion for a child of mine, under any circumstances except danger to the mother or (possibly - and I'm not sure about this) knowing the foetus had severe abnormalities that would dramatically shorten life and lead to a poor quality of life in that time. But I absolutely believe in the rights of women to have control over their bodies and have abortions up to [some date - which is debatable, but I think the current UK threshold is reasoonable] for any reason. I could lead the Lib Dems with that viewpoint, but I don't think I could lead the Lib Dems if I thought abortion was a sin and quietly wanted it banned for others.
    This is absolutely the crux of it. The acid test for me is how you'd vote if a bill came along with a free 'personal conscience' vote on banning (say) abortion or gay marriage. If you'd vote for that bill you should not be leading (or even be in) a progressive party. If you'd vote against it despite believing these things to be sinful on account of your religious faith you're fine.

There's still something of a tussle about its position in the political spectrum, AFAIK. Certainly is attract votes from the right as well as left of centre.

Having a debate about the ideological position of the next leader seems entirely fair to me (and the suggestion that's 'misogyny' little more than a smear(.

The difference with Hamza is that he was never likely to have any real impact on what the party professes to believe in, and everyone knew that.
    Yes perhaps the SNP will reverse much of the direction taken under Sturgeon. Choosing Forbes would indicate they intend to. There's no law that says they have to be a progressive party of the left. They haven't always been after all. This is an opportunity to thrash that out, I guess.

Misogyny towards Forbes? There will be plenty (since she's a high profile woman of power and influence) but I don't think raising her religious views in the context of her leadership bid is evidence of that.
    “We want independence! What do we do after we’ve got it? Worry about that when we’ve got it!”
    Plaid Cymru regularly navel-gaze over the question. The debate in their case is encouraged by that over the language.
    England's nationalist party certainly hadn't work out what they wanted to do with independence when they got it.
    I thought we were all still arguing over Brexit!
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,382
    Donkeys said:

Sandpit said:

Donkeys said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not every England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68929678

I suspect his vote will mainly come from Muslim voters but we shall see
    He’s a Sikh, is there much evidence of cross voting between Sikhs and Muslims?

I thought that, but I suppose it could still be argued that the majority of Workers Party voters would be Muslim, given Galloway’s agenda. There’s a lot of Sikhs in Southwell, but would they necessarily vote for the workers Party?
    I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't call the WP policies especially Muslim in flavour. They include

* referendum on Net Zero
    * referendum on NATO membership
    * 0% income tax up to £21K
    * stonking IHT on estates of >£10M
    * one secular Palestinian state

One of those, isn’t like all the others.
    The WP itself didn't make that list of 5. I selected them to give a flavour and bearing in mind Isam's suggestion that the majority of WP voters might be Muslims.

3 of the 5 are on home policy incl. 2 on fiscal policy, and 2 are on foreign policy.

They have many other policies, incl.

* free school meals for all school pupils
    * fan-controlled football
    * not taking any nonsense from NIMBYs, and
    * in the sphere of foreign policy, developing friendly relations with the BRICS countries
    * "heightened" (sic) maritime and coastal patrols

Some of the policies are quite ridiculous, e.g. making cryptocurrency operate in the interests of the working class.

The manifesto strikes me as a bit rambly, rather like other parties' manifestos in that respect, quite amusing in places ("We are not Luddites when it comes to digital currency and fintech"), and not particularly aimed at Muslim voters.
    It doesn't really matter what their manifesto says, but what they campaign on.

Anyway, Galloway is all about Galloway, not about a coherent or deliverable programme. He'll just go in and say what people want to hear. If you're a Muslim it's all about Palestine, if you're poor he'll squeeze the rich, if you're a parent he'll hand out free food for the kids, if you have a gas guzzler in the drive he hates net zero, etc etc etc.

It's hard to campaign against without giving him the oxygen of publicity. Equally, outside by-elections, it's not that easy for him to cut through.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,712
    Andy_JS said:

It's fascinating how many people, both on here and elsewhere, regard Sadiq Khan as a bit obnoxious but can't quite put their finger on why he's obnoxious.
    Curious.

Rishi Sunak is a good example of a non-obnoxious politician, even if you disagree with his policies.
    Both Sadiq Khan and Rishi Sunak are of average height, which apparently is too short to be a proper leader.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,867
    Andy_JS said:

Curious.

I'm sorry - what? Every interview I've seen him in he seems upset that anyone would dare question anything he says. He comes across as extremely obnoxious to me... I think "obnoxious" is pretty subjective and just a way of saying "a politician I don't like". Which is fine.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 723
    edited May 1
    malcolmg said:

148grss said:

malcolmg said:

Selebian said:

Persons of of faith have been & will be FM. Whether it is a Muslim (Humza) or a Christian (John & Kate). Each support the conscience vote & equal rights for all. So what is it about Kate that makes her the focus of anti-religious attacks? 🤔

https://x.com/joannaccherry/status/1785566115759878604

Because they either don't share her - out of mainstream opinion - views on religious/moral matters or are smart/dishonest enough to keep those views hidden?

I know Yousaf missed the equal marriage vote, for example, but he has been public about his support for it.
    Bollox, easy to lie after the fact. he dodged the vote due to religious pressure and then blatantly lied through his teeth. He could could have seen a man about a dog anytime , despite months of notice he inadvertently arranged a meeting at the same time as the vote to discuss a non topic.
    You boys are easily led by the nose when it is a favoured religious sect. Also her religion is as mainstream as Yousaf's certainly from a Scottish perspective, speaking as a non religious person.
    Methinks you doth protest too much, bigotry is not pleasant.
    I mean there are almost 8 times the number of Muslims in Scotland than members of the Free Church of Scotland - 2011 census data puts FCoS at ~10k and Muslims at ~77k. So it is a much smaller population. And even if it wasn't - the difference is Yousaf didn't try to impose beliefs through law / votes whereas we can't say the same for Forbes. Worst case scenario, Yousaf was a coward who didn't vote when equal marriage was passed - but worst case scenario in the case of Forbes is a SFM who actively campaigns to remove the legal ability to get an abortion, or to remove the legal status of equal marriages. These are entirely different things. It was a big issue for the LDs in the UK GE, as it should have been, and it is a big issue for Forbes - because the majority of people in society don't trust people with these fixations on weird cultural issues and are generally small l libertarian about the whole thing (it should be legal, but an individual persons choice).
    Neither did Forbes you numpty, she gave a pesonal opinion, he chickened out of an actual vote due to his religion , a craven coward. She at least has some principles and morals and a backbone whether right or wrong.
    I would take the Wee Free any time and that as a non religious person. No time for cowardly unprincipled no morals wasters , who say one thing and do the opposite themselves.
    Do you have similar respect for Calvinists who aren't Scottish, e.g. say the late Ian Paisley or the Broederbond in South Africa?

The underlying belief is that those who God loves most he makes rich.

So if you're a moneygrubbing saddo ripping off your clients and customers and storing up as big a pile of money and assets as you can, you must be doing the right thing - so don't have a conscience about it, you know you're better than them, because God has shown you to that effect - and those horrible neighbours are probably having sex all the time, what animals they are, I mean how much profit and self-denial is there in having a shag.

"She at least has some principles and morals and a backbone whether right or wrong."

Scottish wrong is righter than English right, any day of the week. Only halfwits think otherwise.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,278

Nigelb said:

Completely agreed.

I would add one little mentioned element when it comes to faith schools is they are legally allowed to ask for the candidates religion and discriminate when it comes to recruitment of teachers on the basis of the candidates faith.

I could understand having to respect the character of the school, which people of other faiths or none can do, but to be able to say during recruitment "not hiring them as they're Christian/Muslim/Jewish/atheist/whatever" should not be OK.

So it's not simply that children are excluded, but the teaching staff can be influenced by outright discrimination. And those are the people then teaching the segregated children.

How this is OK in the 21st Century is beyond me.
    In a UK wherej ust 37% have no religion on the last census having under a 1/3 of schools of faith with teachers of faith and pupils of faith if anything is an underrepresentation considering the first schools and universities in this country were created by the Church
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,459
    edited May 1
    148grss said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

In the medium and long run this will be one of the worst policies of this ridiculous government. It is beyond a bad idea.
    It's a curious policy decision to understand because the Right (e.g. on PB) is always going on about multiculturalism, segregation, ghettoes, etc. etc. and separate schooling can be a factor in sectarianism.

On the other hand, that 50% was for *new* faith schools, though. 100% is already OK for, for instance, C of E and RC schools unless I misunderstand? So it's unfair on (let's say) Jedi Knights for the new (say) Han Solo College to be restricted to 50% JKs when St Aloysius or St Michael's down the road aren't.

It was a messy but probably justifiable compromise. Forcing long established Catholic schools to abandon their status was a battle governments didn't want (or were scared) to fight.
    Most C of E schools (the majority of faith schools) aren't particularly sectarian anyway, I think ?

I'm trying to imagine an aggressively sectarian CoE school.

"Every child will drink a cup of tea, each morning after assembly. The tea will be weak with lots of milk. Failure to do so, more than 5 times in a school year, will result in exclusion."
    Yebbut we will also burn the Catholics if they dare to continue to believe in the Eucharist.
    All Christians believe in the Eucharist. Roman Catholics also believe in transubstantiation (at least officially).
    This is the bit I find weird - because if you don't believe in transubstantiation you really can't be a Roman Catholic; it's a pretty big deal theologically!
    Kinda. Sorta. Since Vatican 2 transubstantiation is taught to the laity as follows -

"What is the meaning of transubstantiation? Transubstantiation means the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of his Blood. This change is brought about in the eucharistic prayer through the efficacy of the word of Christ and by the action of the Holy Spirit.However, the outward characteristics of bread and wine, that is the "eucharistic species", remain unaltered." (my emphasis)

Pick the bones out of that. In the 20th/21st century explaining transubstantiation, particularly to the laity, using Aristotelian concepts that only medieval clerics who spent their lives studying them could understand, is a fools errand.

A number of Catholics say that transubstantiation has come to mean in Catholicism an spiritual change not 1 million miles away from some Protestant concepts. That position is summed up here - https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/7581/catholics-should-stop-talking-of-transubstantiation.

"Speaking of transubstantiation, Dr Daly said that prior to the Second Vatican Council a uniform theology of the Eucharist had been imposed throughout the Church which had concentrated on what happens to the bread and the wine when the priest says the words of consecration. Eucharistic theology had become “reduced to a philosophical problem employing abstractions like substance and accidents”."

This results in a position where, contrary to what you suggest, the majority of Catholics (American ones anyway) don't believe on the "real presence" -

https://www.catholicregister.org/faith/item/30038-pew-survey-shows-majority-of-catholics-don-t-believe-in-real-presence

In essence it is all theological nit-picking that was a matter of (eternal) life and death in the 16th and 17th Centuries but less so now. If you told your priest that you believed that Christ was spiritually rather than physically present I think he'd probably say "Ah, close enough..."
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,806
    TOPPING said:

So. What's happening in Scotland, eh.

"full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

Both Sadiq Khan and Rishi Sunak are of average height, which apparently is too short to be a proper leader.
    Forbes is a bit of a short arse; game over.

Otoh if she was bossing a Yamaha V Max 16 years ago I might revise my opinion.

• Options

Forgive me, I have just arrived and don't really have time to go through all of your "inspired" and "thoughtful" discussions on Church Schools, but I have an anecdote for you. I was Chair of Governors of a Church of England primary school for nearly 30 years. For about 15 of those years, the specific and stated Admissions Policy of the school was that children of Church attenders went to the BOTTOM of the admissions queue, not the top. That's because the Church regarded its job - including the provision of Primary School education - as being for the benefit of its non-members, not the faithful.

(The only reason we changed it was because of pressure from the Teachers - they wanted to increase the relationship with the Church.)

So, pick the bones out of that.

That doesn't surprise me.

Attacking and denigrating its own supporters is a pretty fundamental principle for the CoE clergy.
    Certainly most faith schools prioritise those of faith and who regularly attend church first for places, as they correctly should.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,002
    edited May 1

Donkeys said:

Sandpit said:

Donkeys said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I missed this somehow. I guess not every England Cricketer can be an establishment Tory.

Former England cricketer Monty Panesar has been unveiled as a general election candidate for George Galloway's Workers Party of Britain.

Mr Panesar said he wanted to "represent the working class people of this country" in Parliament.

I thought that, but I suppose it could still be argued that the majority of Workers Party voters would be Muslim, given Galloway’s agenda. There’s a lot of Sikhs in Southwell, but would they necessarily vote for the workers Party?
    I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't call the WP policies especially Muslim in flavour. They include

* referendum on Net Zero

The WP itself didn't make that list of 5. I selected them to give a flavour and bearing in mind Isam's suggestion that the majority of WP voters might be Muslims.

3 of the 5 are on home policy incl. 2 on fiscal policy, and 2 are on foreign policy.

* in the sphere of foreign policy, developing friendly relations with the BRICS countries

Some of the policies are quite ridiculous, e.g. making cryptocurrency operate in the interests of the working class.

The manifesto strikes me as a bit rambly, rather like other parties' manifestos in that respect, quite amusing in places ("We are not Luddites when it comes to digital currency and fintech"), and not particularly aimed at Muslim voters.

Anyway, Galloway is all about Galloway, not about a coherent or deliverable programme. He'll just go in and say what people want to hear. If you're a Muslim it's all about Palestine, if you're poor he'll squeeze the rich, if you're a parent he'll hand out free food for the kids, if you have a gas guzzler in the drive he hates net zero, etc etc etc.

It's hard to campaign against without giving him the oxygen of publicity. Equally, outside by-elections, it's not that easy for him to cut through.
    A lot of the policy platform is straightforward conservative populism. Family values, don't like trans and LGBTQ stuff, Climate sceptic / denialist. There's a bit of rambly all things to all people material in there but a large chunk is indistinguishable from Reform or for that matter the sort of thing Orban or Erdogan drones on about.

Indeed probably drawing from a very similar pool of disillusioned traditionalists as Reform, but with a focus on disillusioned Muslim traditionalists.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

No I believe in parental choice. Faith schools get above average results on average, the more faith schools, grammars and free schools the better for a conservative like me
    That’s not the argument; this time anyway. Personally I don’t like the idea of ‘faith’ schools; IMO, and indeed experience from long ago, they’re divisive. It might be worth some sociological or educational researcher examining why they get better results…… if of course they really do, and it’s not some sort of ‘received wisdom’ or urban myth.
    As one who, EVER so many years ago, attended a grammar school I’m by no means convinced of their overall benefit.
    As you are a left liberal, no surprise, most conservatives like me however disagree with you on both and support faith and grammar schools
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

They should have gone for her in the first place.
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

No I believe in parental choice. Faith schools get above average results on average, the more faith schools, grammars and free schools the better for a conservative like me
    Doesn't the 100% rule restrict paternal choice, atheist parents, Muslim parents, Sikh parents and Hindu parents are taxpayers too, funding schools that their children are now not allowed to attend.

There are Muslim and Jewish free schools now for their children to attend as well as private schools representing all faiths.

Of course religious parents fund secular schools by their taxes too even if their children don't attend them
  • Options
    edited May 1
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

That’s not the argument; this time anyway. Personally I don’t like the idea of ‘faith’ schools; IMO, and indeed experience from long ago, they’re divisive. It might be worth some sociological or educational researcher examining why they get better results…… if of course they really do, and it’s not some sort of ‘received wisdom’ or urban myth.
    As one who, EVER so many years ago, attended a grammar school I’m by no means convinced of their overall benefit.
    As you are a left liberal, no surprise, most conservatives like me however disagree with you on both and support faith and grammar schools
    Most conservatives support Christian faith schools. Ideally CofE but will tolerate Catholic. Not sure that many conservatives support Muslim faith schools.
  • Options
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Most conservatives support Christian faith schools. Ideally CofE but will tolerate Catholic. Not sure that many conservatives support Muslim faith schools.
    As long as both are allowed no problem
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

So. What's happening in Scotland, eh.

How many posts can we expect from you on how unimportant it is?
    Everything is relative. What's the feeling in Craignure.
    Not everything in Scotland revolves around ferries.
  • Options
    Whilst some people here may think Khan is obnoxious, Hall seems to be (if not a quack herself) then pandering to them:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/may/01/tory-hopeful-for-london-mayor-joins-anti-ulez-facebook-group-rife-with-islamophobia
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,519

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

Yes - although it's both a problem and an advantage. An advantage because they can attract the votes of everyone who prioritises independence regardless of the rest of their politics. The SNP have been very successful at this. A problem because that success brings the need to have a dual identity - they exist to win independence but also to run Scotland.

What's interesting is that both of these things are now in flux. Maybe (sounds perverse but maybe) they could be more effective on the independence front if they were not also the party of government? I don't know. But it does feel like a new era, Sturgeon gone, Sindy2 on the backburner, a big Tory to Labour switch coming at Westminster.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    DougSeal said:

148grss said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

"Every child will drink a cup of tea, each morning after assembly. The tea will be weak with lots of milk. Failure to do so, more than 5 times in a school year, will result in exclusion."
    Yebbut we will also burn the Catholics if they dare to continue to believe in the Eucharist.
    All Christians believe in the Eucharist. Roman Catholics also believe in transubstantiation (at least officially).
    This is the bit I find weird - because if you don't believe in transubstantiation you really can't be a Roman Catholic; it's a pretty big deal theologically!
    Kinda. Sorta. Since Vatican 2 transubstantiation is taught to the laity as follows -

"What is the meaning of transubstantiation? Transubstantiation means the change of the whole substance of bread into the substance of the Body of Christ and of the whole substance of wine into the substance of his Blood. This change is brought about in the eucharistic prayer through the efficacy of the word of Christ and by the action of the Holy Spirit.However, the outward characteristics of bread and wine, that is the "eucharistic species", remain unaltered." (my emphasis)

Pick the bones out of that. In the 20th/21st century explaining transubstantiation, particularly to the laity, using Aristotelian concepts that only medieval clerics who spent their lives studying them could understand, is a fools errand.

A number of Catholics say that transubstantiation has come to mean in Catholicism an spiritual change not 1 million miles away from some Protestant concepts. That position is summed up here - https://www.thetablet.co.uk/news/7581/catholics-should-stop-talking-of-transubstantiation.

"Speaking of transubstantiation, Dr Daly said that prior to the Second Vatican Council a uniform theology of the Eucharist had been imposed throughout the Church which had concentrated on what happens to the bread and the wine when the priest says the words of consecration. Eucharistic theology had become “reduced to a philosophical problem employing abstractions like substance and accidents”."

This results in a position where, contrary to what you suggest, the majority of Catholics (American ones anyway) don't believe on the "real presence" -

https://www.catholicregister.org/faith/item/30038-pew-survey-shows-majority-of-catholics-don-t-believe-in-real-presence

In essence it is all theological nit-picking that was a matter of (eternal) life and death in the 16th and 17th Centuries but less so now. If you told your priest that you believed that Christ was spiritually rather than physically present I think he'd probably say "Ah, close enough..."
    Can't say I've ever begun to understand the cannibalism at the heart of Roman Catholicism worship.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

It's possible but it's notable that it's the angry old men faction that are Forbes's biggest backers - Fergus Ewing, Alex Neil, Jim Sillars, and likely the angriest old man of them all, Salmond. I don't see many cohorts of shiny faced, young (or even middle aged) idealists going Forbesy.
    Is there anybody of potential on the left of the party to turn to after a period of 'safe hands' Swinney?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,148
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

True; wouldn’t argue about that description of me. However I’ve come to my position on schools after careful consideration and experience, since Mrs C and I had three children to educate and seven grandchildren on whose education our opinion was sought.
    Not always acted upon, but sought!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

I'll pop that in my bulging advice to the SNP from people not in the SNP folder.

The sort of folk fluffing for Forbes here and elsewhere aren't exactly making me warm to her. Perhaps it's a cunning plan to turn SNP members off her as she is verily the the most accomplished politician of our age and would have Scotland independent in a trice.
  • Options

DougSeal said:

148grss said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Can't say I've ever begun to understand the cannibalism at the heart of Roman Catholicism worship.
    No. As I intimate in my post, the current position of the Catholic Church is in essence (pun intended) virtually indistinguishable from the common Anglican affirmation of the real (albeit not physical) presence of Christ in the Eucharist. If Vatican 2 had simply stopped using the word "Transubstantiation" then they would be impossible to distinguish unless you had an in-depth knowledge of medieval Aristotelianism.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,785
    Biden is going to get slammed, electorally, by these violent demos and the aftermath
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

I'll pop that in my bulging advice to the SNP from people not in the SNP folder.

The sort of folk fluffing for Forbes here and elsewhere aren't exactly making me warm to her. Perhaps it's a cunning plan to turn SNP members off her as she is verily the the most accomplished politician of our age and would have Scotland independent in a trice.
    I'll add "not a member of the SNP" to people who are not allowed to comment on the SNP to the list currently comprising of people who are not Scottish, and people who look at other people's LinkedIn profiles. Say hi to Disco Stu for me will you?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

It's possible but it's notable that it's the angry old men faction that are Forbes's biggest backers - Fergus Ewing, Alex Neil, Jim Sillars, and likely the angriest old man of them all, Salmond. I don't see many cohorts of shiny faced, young (or even middle aged) idealists going Forbesy.
    Is there anybody of potential on the left of the party to turn to after a period of 'safe hands' Swinney?
    Flynn has potential and until recently I would have put him on the left, however he has been making a few anti Green noises in the current kerfuffle. Maybe that's an indication of a smart politician who sees the way things are going.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

geoffw said:

How about "The First Thing We Do, … " - you complete it!

yeah, yeah, is kill all the lawyers. Even Shakespeare made mistakes.
    Surely that's Shakespeare putting words into the mouth of one of his not very heroic characters? It's not Shakespeare stating his own view.
    Something he really never did.
    While he wrote his histories from the point of view of Tudor ideology - something necessary for survival - he was pretty sly at presenting the opposing view in an equally dramatically compelling manner.

Macbeth was a very dangerous play to publish under the (justifiably) paranoid James Stuart, but his adroitness at presenting subversive ideas within a frame of orthodoxy allowed him to carry it off.
    James VI and I believed he was the descendant of Banquo, so the vision the three witches conjure of future kings from his lineage legitimises and celebrates him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Biden is going to get slammed, electorally, by these violent demos and the aftermath

I mean, the only violence I've seen is from cops and Zionists (some who are literally throwing lit fireworks into camps). Those institutions that haven't called the police and have had reasonable conversations with their students... are not being shown on the news and twitter.

I also love the fact that we know, time and time again, that these protest movements are hated in their own time and then lauded, laundered and whitewashed when history proves them right. MLK was hated in his time and considered a violent thug by many, Tories went around with "Hang Nelson Mandela" signs and the anti-Vietnam protesters were despised. And all of them, proven right by history - and the right even try to claim people like MLK for their own purposes.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,342
    Leon said:

Not sure about that. I remember the Tories' enemies licking their lips politically during the London riots - didn't seem to do Dave or Boris any harm at all in the end.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I think most Americans have a better understanding than us of the division between Municipal (i.e the NYPD, responsible for the "aftermath"), County, State and Federal Authority.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,945
    Andy_JS said:

Curious.

Sunak the chancellor fits your description, I don't think Sunak the PM does at all.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,429
  • Options
    148grss said:

Leon said:

I mean, the only violence I've seen is from cops and Zionists (some who are literally throwing lit fireworks into camps). Those institutions that haven't called the police and have had reasonable conversations with their students... are not being shown on the news and twitter.

I also love the fact that we know, time and time again, that these protest movements are hated in their own time and then lauded, laundered and whitewashed when history proves them right. MLK was hated in his time and considered a violent thug by many, Tories went around with "Hang Nelson Mandela" signs and the anti-Vietnam protesters were despised. And all of them, proven right by history - and the right even try to claim people like MLK for their own purposes.

Zionists !!!!

Hmmm.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

I'll add "not a member of the SNP" to people who are not allowed to comment on the SNP to the list currently comprising of people who are not Scottish, and people who look at other people's LinkedIn profiles. Say hi to Disco Stu for me will you?
    Och, it's 'all about me' Doug again. If you wish to draw attention to your weird stalky 'research' into some bloke on the internet you don't know from Adam, knock yersel oot.

I hadn't realised that I could stop people from commenting on the SNP just by indicating I don't much respect their opinions. I must do more of it.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,382
    HYUFD said:

DM_Andy said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Doesn't the 100% rule restrict paternal choice, atheist parents, Muslim parents, Sikh parents and Hindu parents are taxpayers too, funding schools that their children are now not allowed to attend.

There are Muslim and Jewish free schools now for their children to attend as well as private schools representing all faiths.

Of course religious parents fund secular schools by their taxes too even if their children don't attend them
    Choosing not to send your kids to a school and not being able to do so are different, and you're conflating them.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

DM_Andy said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Choosing not to send your kids to a school and not being able to do so are different, and you're conflating them.
    Yes, religious parents should be able to have some faith schools to choose for their kids
  • Options
    Having spent 5 years on here, can confirm -

Online communities tend to become alarmingly toxic over time

https://www.bbk.ac.uk/news/online-communities-tend-to-become-alarmingly-toxic-over-time
  • Options
    148grss said:

Leon said:

God, zzz, yawn

I'm not arguing over the Pro-Pally question, or not, I am saying the images are bad for Biden. The optics. And they are: it is scarily similar to 1968 when Nixon won, partly because of the violence from the anti-Vietnam War campaign, despite the latter being "on the right side of history"

Incidentally I've seen your tiresome, midwit argument elsewhere. When has there ever been a student campaign that proved to be wrong, when have they ever been on "the WRONG side of history"?

To which I say: plenty of times. Look at the young Red Guards beating their teachers to death for being "pro-western"
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,315
    148grss said:

Leon said:

Do you support Khymani James?

https://x.com/doranimated/status/1784005736369975768

"Zionists don’t deserve to live"; “I feel very comfortable calling for those people to die”; and “Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited May 1
    These scenes from some of the juvenile protestors in Ivy League schools are hilarious.

Didn't realise quite how far down the rabbit hole liberal education had fallen in the States....
  • Options
    Taz said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Zionists !!!!

Hmmm.
    I mean, they are identifying themselves that way, so yeah - Zionists.

https://twitter.com/benlorber8/status/1785568586842411271
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

fpt because what the fuck

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Extraordinary remark about Sunak being “un-British” because of his Indian caste & master mentality

😶

I had to go back and check it was actually said. It was said. Is this the *kind of racism that is actually ok coz I’m on the left* racism?

Is Heathener actually a lefty? Regardless its both bonkers and not okay.
    Definitely a lefty. However @Heathener is so nutty - simultaneously an award winning writer, a far ranging traveller, a post woman, a TV presenter, a known expert on trans issues, and an impoverished single mother who has to save her boiled water in thermos flask - I sometimes wonder if she is a mad sock puppet created by me to see how much bollocks people will believe

At this point I am keen to disown her. Not my doing
    We know that, your previous attempt to write in a different character during the gestation of Byronic having stood up for all of just two days.
    Indeed. Or indeed in his previous guise as Sean T.

Being ‘disowned’ by the misogynistic writer who boasts in his book of abusing girls in Asia is hardly the coup de grace he imagines.

It does bemuse me though when people who have never immersed themselves fully (and I mean fully) in other cultures tie themselves in knots over race. Racism exists everywhere. Of course, some has important historic context that cannot be ignored.

But evil is evil and Sunak’s version is profoundly not the way this country has evolved over the past 300 years. His is an attempt to unweave the social fabric of this country and supplant it with an uncaring, dog-eats-dog Singaporean style ruthlessness. It’s not the British way, or at least not the way this country has thankfully evolved.

In a similar way one might describe Thatcher as non-conservative.

The British Empire was often, perhaps mostly, pretty dreadful - especially the East India Company - but we did eventually accept our seafaring role meant two-way traffic. We embraced diversity and culture, welcoming to these shores those who enriched this way of life even as so-called indigenous peoples here were already themselves part of a cultural bricolage.

Attacking minority groups and the vulnerable, demonising those who don’t conform to a nasty little ruthless business ethic, is profoundly not what this country is about.

Thanks for listening.

xx
    This will be my last post on the subject or to you.

For whatever noble, high falutin', dare I say uber woke reason your comment yesterday was vile. And unambiguously racist.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who is British but from immigrant stock. Recent immigrant stock that is because few of us are not at some point in history.

You have just told them that they are not properly British, that they in your eyes can't escape a characteristic from their "own" culture and moreover that there is a defining chatrracteristic of "their", and of British culture.

It is exactly the same language as the most virulent racists use to other such people.

To borrow from the PO Inquiry vernacular, you are either a racist or a moron and I don't care which it is.

So you can take your Archbishop John Sentamu told mes and your don't you realises and you can fuck right off.

Well said, their post was so much like the chant 'Their ain't no black in the Union Jack.'
    That’s drivel

The whole point is that people like Sunak are a disgrace to people of colour who have made this country what it is.

I’m sorry you and @Topping or @StillWaters are unable to see this. I’m happy to agree to disagree but I will not accept being called racist over it.

The bitter irony is that it’s the likes of Sunak, Badenoch, and Braverman who are causing untold damage to race relations, and minority relations, in this country.

I guess you tories just won’t get it until you have spent a long, long, time in the political wilderness. Which you will.
    To see Sunak as a representative of his ethnicity or 'non whites' is clearly unreasonable.

If you're saying that others might see him that way then I can follow your logic though it's a pretty unattractive stereotyping

There is a point though which seems to have slipped through the noise that isn't racist but relates to Sunak Braverman and Patel themselves that does leave me puzzled. How can three first generation children of economic migrants or parents or Grandparents persecuted who have made a success of their lives have so little compassion for those coming after them?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

Sunak the chancellor fits your description, I don't think Sunak the PM does at all.
    I'm not sure how people are defining obnoxious here. It has a particular, aggressively arrogant and misanthropic meaning for me which few frontline politicians really fit. But common among their online outriders.
  • Options
    Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 88
    If the objective of party politics is to secure power surely the SNP have to pick someone that can either run a minority administration or attract another party (or sufficient MSPs) into coalition. That feels to me more like Swinney than any of the other names. Or am I missing something?

Similarly, if they pick someone that can’t do that you are inviting a vote of no-confidence and a new election. I reckon the Scottish Conservatives fear an election as much as the SNP, but can’t see them propping them up.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Leon said:

LOL.

I didn't march alongside MLK. I didn't know MLK. I couldn't count MLK as a friend of mine.

All that said, these petulant children are so obviously not going to be seen as like MLK to the vast majority of those living in the West.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Extraordinary remark about Sunak being “un-British” because of his Indian caste & master mentality

😶

I had to go back and check it was actually said. It was said. Is this the *kind of racism that is actually ok coz I’m on the left* racism?

Definitely a lefty. However @Heathener is so nutty - simultaneously an award winning writer, a far ranging traveller, a post woman, a TV presenter, a known expert on trans issues, and an impoverished single mother who has to save her boiled water in thermos flask - I sometimes wonder if she is a mad sock puppet created by me to see how much bollocks people will believe

We know that, your previous attempt to write in a different character during the gestation of Byronic having stood up for all of just two days.

Being ‘disowned’ by the misogynistic writer who boasts in his book of abusing girls in Asia is hardly the coup de grace he imagines.

It does bemuse me though when people who have never immersed themselves fully (and I mean fully) in other cultures tie themselves in knots over race. Racism exists everywhere. Of course, some has important historic context that cannot be ignored.

But evil is evil and Sunak’s version is profoundly not the way this country has evolved over the past 300 years. His is an attempt to unweave the social fabric of this country and supplant it with an uncaring, dog-eats-dog Singaporean style ruthlessness. It’s not the British way, or at least not the way this country has thankfully evolved.

The British Empire was often, perhaps mostly, pretty dreadful - especially the East India Company - but we did eventually accept our seafaring role meant two-way traffic. We embraced diversity and culture, welcoming to these shores those who enriched this way of life even as so-called indigenous peoples here were already themselves part of a cultural bricolage.

Attacking minority groups and the vulnerable, demonising those who don’t conform to a nasty little ruthless business ethic, is profoundly not what this country is about.

Thanks for listening.

xx

For whatever noble, high falutin', dare I say uber woke reason your comment yesterday was vile. And unambiguously racist.

Put yourself in the shoes of someone who is British but from immigrant stock. Recent immigrant stock that is because few of us are not at some point in history.

You have just told them that they are not properly British, that they in your eyes can't escape a characteristic from their "own" culture and moreover that there is a defining chatrracteristic of "their", and of British culture.

It is exactly the same language as the most virulent racists use to other such people.

To borrow from the PO Inquiry vernacular, you are either a racist or a moron and I don't care which it is.

So you can take your Archbishop John Sentamu told mes and your don't you realises and you can fuck right off.

Well said, their post was so much like the chant 'Their ain't no black in the Union Jack.'
    That’s drivel

The whole point is that people like Sunak are a disgrace to people of colour who have made this country what it is.

I’m sorry you and @Topping or @StillWaters are unable to see this. I’m happy to agree to disagree but I will not accept being called racist over it.

The bitter irony is that it’s the likes of Sunak, Badenoch, and Braverman who are causing untold damage to race relations, and minority relations, in this country.

I guess you tories just won’t get it until you have spent a long, long, time in the political wilderness. Which you will.
    To see Sunak as a representative of his ethnicity or 'non whites' is clearly unreasonable.

If you're saying that others might see him that way then I can follow your logic though it's a pretty unattractive stereotyping

There is a point though which seems to have slipped through the noise that isn't racist but relates to Sunak Braverman and Patel themselves that does leave me puzzled. How can three first generation children of economic migrants or parents or Grandparents persecuted who have made a success of their lives have so little compassion for those coming after them?
    I genuinely think @Heathener is imaginary. He/she/they is a delightful sockpuppet (not by me) created to discredit her Woke positions, and entertain the rest of us with her/his/xeir insane contradictions and alleged life

The turning point, for me, was the italicised "bricolage". I've long been suspicious of the two kisses at the end

She's a joke, in all senses of the word
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,591
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

At the time, I thought Farron did and therefore felt him badly treated (although he also handled it badly). Since then I've seen suggestions that his voting record was less clear cut than he suggested.
    There's also a difference of course between wanting to lead a liberal party (liberalism: we don't really think our views matter; on things that don't harm others the state should let you crack on) where a personally very religious socially conservative person with equally strong liberal convictions is ok versus wanting to lead a socially progressive party that actively espouses things like same sex marriage, not because of liberalism but because they consider it the right thing to do.

So Farron would make more sense as a liberal* leader than as e.g. SNP or even Lab leader.

Of course, leaders shape parties and there's no reason why Forbes can't lead the SNP and take it in a more socially conservative direction, if she can secure enough support to win the leadership contest (afterall Cameron, having secured leadership of the Cons, took them in a much more socially liberal direction).

*liberal not exactly equivalent to Lib Dem here - there is, particularly now, a more socially progressive side to the Lib Dems
  • Options

148grss said:

Leon said:

"Zionists don’t deserve to live"; “I feel very comfortable calling for those people to die”; and “Be grateful that I’m not just going out and murdering Zionists.”
    We have literal politicians, ministers, in the US and in Israel saying they plan to wipe Gaza off the map and that it would be fine to kill every Palestinian - and you take one student activist and the most inflammatory things he says and ask me to disavow. I take the same position as Norman Finkelstein on this matter, who argues that the abolitionists who disagreed with John Brown still refused to disavow him, and that is how he feels about violence used by those who want a free Palestine. Tactics are, in my view, morally neutral - it is the reason behind the tactics that matter. Violence in the aim of reducing harm (such as self defence) is justifiable; punching Nazis is justifiable. One student who says they feel like they wish Zionists were dead - I think that's justifiable.
  • Options
    Britain is not a happy place, part 5,934

"Boy, 17, arrested for attempted murder after three stabbed at school
    Two adults and a child suffered injuries and the 17-year-old suspect remains in police custody"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/01/sheffield-school-stabbing-boy-arrested/?WT.mc_id=e_DM317555&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_Brk_New&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_Brk_New20240501&utm_campaign=DM317555
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,824
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

We have literal politicians, ministers, in the US and in Israel saying they plan to wipe Gaza off the map and that it would be fine to kill every Palestinian - and you take one student activist and the most inflammatory things he says and ask me to disavow. I take the same position as Norman Finkelstein on this matter, who argues that the abolitionists who disagreed with John Brown still refused to disavow him, and that is how he feels about violence used by those who want a free Palestine. Tactics are, in my view, morally neutral - it is the reason behind the tactics that matter. Violence in the aim of reducing harm (such as self defence) is justifiable; punching Nazis is justifiable. One student who says they feel like they wish Zionists were dead - I think that's justifiable.
    No we do not.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,636
    Leon said:

Depends. It's still six months to voting. If the protests fizzle out soon I don't think they will have made a lasting impression on the body politic. If there are still fights on campuses in October, then different story.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    Slight diversions following my revisit to Miss Eclectech yesterday.

It's interesting how the "identity" debate has moved on to a new focus in 20 years. Is anyone currently proposing a national identity card in their manifesto?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8ZHXGHEfHM

"By stamping out the scourge of illegitimate identity
    We'll be assured that everyone is just who they are meant to be
    Indeed without one you'll becomes a practical nonentity
    It is the card that proves you have a national identity."
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    MattW said:

It's interesting how the "identity" debate has moved on to a new focus in 20 years. Is anyone currently proposing a national identity card in their manifesto?

I was anti ID cards back in the New Labour era

But the world has moved on. Seems their time might have come.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,551
    edited May 1
    At risk of upsetting what appears to be the general PB consensus that Kate Forbes is fab, a few counter points:

1. I still don’t think that a lot of people are really factoring in the big shift she would be from the Sturgeon/Yousaf era. That may reap her some rewards - but if she is wanting to take the party in a completely different direction it opens up real challenges too. One of the significant failures of Truss’ (and also Sunak’s, to some extent) strategy was their inability to realise that they simply didn’t have a mandate to move the Tories away from Johnsonian boosterism and levelling up and economic interventionism. I happen to think Sturgeon’s weird “aren’t we more worthy than those reactionaries in England” progressive alliance shtick was the wrong tactic, particularly in building an alliance for independence, but that is essentially what people were getting when they voted SNP last time round, not Kate Forbes.

2. The whole thing about her views is going to come up again and again. I happen to think that perhaps it shouldn’t , and that it will be really overplayed by a media that really loves banging the ‘progressive’ drum at times, but she’s going to get asked about it time and time again. In every interview. In every campaign stop. At every juncture. See Tim Farron. It is not inconceivable that this causes her significant problems with the left of the SNP.

If the SNP had been defeated in an election and they were reassessing their priorities and strategy, I’d say Forbes would be an interesting and credible pick. In government, I sense danger for them, to be honest.
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

No we do not.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/10/florida-republican-michelle-salzman-palestine

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/21/us-congressman-andy-ogles-stirs-outrage-with-gaza-comment-kill-them-all

https://www.newarab.com/news/israel-mk-says-clear-all-gazans-must-be-destroyed

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-south-africa-genocide-hate-speech-97a9e4a84a3a6bebeddfb80f8a030724
  • Options
    Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

God, zzz, yawn

I'm not arguing over the Pro-Pally question, or not, I am saying the images are bad for Biden. The optics. And they are: it is scarily similar to 1968 when Nixon won, partly because of the violence from the anti-Vietnam War campaign, despite the latter being "on the right side of history"

Incidentally I've seen your tiresome, midwit argument elsewhere. When has there ever been a student campaign that proved to be wrong, when have they ever been on "the WRONG side of history"?

To which I say: plenty of times. Look at the young Red Guards beating their teachers to death for being "pro-western"
    Except even Nixon managed to avoid a criminal trial in the 1968 election year unlike Trump.

There is also no current war the US are involved in unlike 1968 and of course in 1968 Nixon only beat Humphrey by 0.7%, Democrat votes that went for Wallace played a pivotal role
  • Options
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

I'm not sure how people are defining obnoxious here. It has a particular, aggressively arrogant and misanthropic meaning for me which few frontline politicians really fit. But common among their online outriders.
    Aggressively arrogant is certainly in the ballpark for Sunak's behaviour in the PM role at times. Obnoxious certainly wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my adjective list for Sunak, but that doesn't make him non-obnoxious.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    Sky's Beff suggests Labour have been pulling resources from Teeside to focus on West Mids and their aim in Teeside is to get it to single figures behind which would 'win everything' at a GE
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,730

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

A question to ask is: Who do the Labour and Conservative parties want to lead the SNP? My guess is it is not K Forbes.
  • Options
    I know this may sound like a ridiculous question, but do we know what the Free Church of Scotland (and Kate Forbes') position on evolution is? Like - are they creationists? I understand that this doesn't necessarily impact policy that much, but it is also just a line for me in terms of politicians living in the same reality as... well reality.
  • Options

Sky's Beff suggests Labour have been pulling resources from Teeside to focus on West Mids and their aim in Teeside is to get it to single figures behind which would 'win everything' at a GE

What I would do in the circs.

I think Street loses by 2 or 3 points....
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

A question to ask is: Who do the Labour and Conservative parties want to lead the SNP? My guess is it is not K Forbes.
    They want a divided SNP. So they win short term whoever they choose as the leadership campaign shines a spotlight on the divisions.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

Flynn has potential and until recently I would have put him on the left, however he has been making a few anti Green noises in the current kerfuffle. Maybe that's an indication of a smart politician who sees the way things are going.
    And only 35. Him v Forbes then maybe in a couple of years. The fork in the road. As for being 'smart' there's a recent object lesson in how to prioritise winning the party leadership as a project unto itself - Keir Starmer.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,543
    edited May 1
    Mortimer said:

Might come down to how pissed off Brummy reds are with their bankrupt council and thus Labour (edit - look at Croydon last time)
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,930
    edited May 1
    148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

No we do not.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/nov/10/florida-republican-michelle-salzman-palestine

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2024/2/21/us-congressman-andy-ogles-stirs-outrage-with-gaza-comment-kill-them-all

https://apnews.com/article/israel-palestinians-south-africa-genocide-hate-speech-97a9e4a84a3a6bebeddfb80f8a030724
    I understand that there are always loons with will come out with all sorts of outrageous crap, but what disconcerts and saddens me is the apparent ease with which some otherwise rational folk are prepared to countenance the deaths of thousands of people for ideological reasons.
  • Options

At risk of upsetting what appears to be the general PB consensus that Kate Forbes is fab, a few counter points:

1. I still don’t think that a lot of people are really factoring in the big shift she would be from the Sturgeon/Yousaf era. That may reap her some rewards - but if she is wanting to take the party in a completely different direction it opens up real challenges too. One of the significant failures of Truss’ (and also Sunak’s, to some extent) strategy was their inability to realise that they simply didn’t have a mandate to move the Tories away from Johnsonian boosterism and levelling up and economic interventionism. I happen to think Sturgeon’s weird “aren’t we more worthy than those reactionaries in England” progressive alliance shtick was the wrong tactic, particularly in building an alliance for independence, but that is essentially what people were getting when they voted SNP last time round, not Kate Forbes.

2. The whole thing about her views is going to come up again and again. I happen to think that perhaps it shouldn’t , and that it will be really overplayed by a media that really loves banging the ‘progressive’ drum at times, but she’s going to get asked about it time and time again. In every interview. In every campaign stop. At every juncture. See Tim Farron. It is not inconceivable that this causes her significant problems with the left of the SNP.

If the SNP had been defeated in an election and they were reassessing their priorities and strategy, I’d say Forbes would be an interesting and credible pick. In government, I sense danger for them, to be honest.

I think for both issues this all comes down to whether, as a politician, she's got what it takes.

If she's a good politician she will know that she has to bring all of her party with her. She couldn't just do a screeching u-turn and expect everyone to lump it. One step at a time and convince people by the quality of her arguments.

And the same with reconciling her personal religious belief with mainstream contemporary society. If she is a good enough politician she'll have a good enough response to the question that the media will get bored of asking it.

So, is she a good enough politician? I've no idea. Obviously all the Tories on pb.com rate her above every other SNP figure because she is closest to their views. I liked Rory Stewart for similar reasons, and he also added a degree of honesty unusual in a politician. But, ultimately, he wasn't a good enough politician to convince other people to follow him, or voters to vote for him.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    148grss said:

I know this may sound like a ridiculous question, but do we know what the Free Church of Scotland (and Kate Forbes') position on evolution is? Like - are they creationists? I understand that this doesn't necessarily impact policy that much, but it is also just a line for me in terms of politicians living in the same reality as... well reality.

And how do you know it's not turtles all the way down.
  • Options

MattW said:

Why do you believe that may be the case ?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587

148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

No we do not.

I understand that there are always loons with will come out with all sorts of outrageous crap, but what disconcerts and saddens me is the apparent ease with which some otherwise rational folk are prepared to countenance the deaths of thousands of people for ideological reasons.
    And the fact that it is far from clear which side you are talking about is illustration of the complexity of the issue. Are we talking about October 7th or October 8th.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

😶

Thanks for listening.

xx

That’s drivel

It's not uncommon for grandchildren of the disadvantaged or persecuted who manage to climb the ladder to have just as unpleasant an attitude towards today's disadvantaged and persecuted as those whose grandparents and parents were born high up the ladder. Look at the many Jews who support the fascist state of Israel. Look at the many rich people whose grandparents were working class, either with or without a minority ethnic identity, who now crap on the working class. They are the rule, not the exception.

@Heathener - Rather than not "accepting" being called a racist, how about you stop being one? Saying Sunak is a disgrace to "people of colour" suggests not only that you have little clue about the issues involved in racism but, even worse, the first thing you observe about Rishi Sunak (and presumably most other non-white people) and judge him on is his skin colour. He's a Tory arsehole. The party's ideology has always been "Fuck you - I'm all right, Jack", and if Sunak didn't buy into that he wouldn't have joined the Tory party. I couldn't give a toss what his skin colour is. It doesn't make him either more or less of an arsehole than he is. The idea that the leader of a government should represent those of their skin colour in some sense that they don't represent those who have different skin colours is what is known as racist.

You should examine the way you use phrases such as "the likes of Sunak, Badenoch, and Braverman".
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,315
    148grss said:

Do you believe it's possible for humans to change sex?
  • Options
    148grss said:

Interesting question. She seems sane but you never know. Within UK Christianity evolution denial is pretty much confined to a group within extreme evangelicalism. It never comes up in mainstream Christianity. I suspect creationism is much more widespread within Islam.
  • Options
    edited May 1
    MattW said:

Good morning everyone.

Thank-you for the header.

A question for the Scottish Experts. So on topic. Ish.

Does there exist a right to swim in any river or lake in Scotland, under Right to Roam?

I ask because I was looking into our local Open Water swimming location (Kings Mill Lake) and someone seems to think they have the right to control who swims there.

It's not a plan (I pick up too many snuffles swimming in public venues and do not recover from them very well), but I was intrigued by the idea of being charged £6.50 to run up and down a public footpath, and swim in a Council managed lake.

https://nowca.org/new-venue-love-open-water-mansfield-joins-the-nowca-network/

(I suspect that this has stopped now, as it seems a bit edgy commercially. People round here would not buy that unless it added significant value to what they can do anyway.)

AFAIK you can swim in rivers, lakes and reservoirs provided you do not interfere with areas specifically set out for other recreational purposes while they are being used for that purpose e.g. a lake with waterskiing areas, and from the official Access Code

...If you wish to canoe or sail on a loch or reservoir used intensively by a
    commercial fishery, be aware that this can be very disruptive, may raise
    safety issues because of the high number of anglers in a relatively small
    area and may impact on the operation of these businesses. Always talk to
    the land manager before going onto such water...

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,208

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

It's very hard to separate out cohort bias from the value added by the school.

At a basic level, though, it's quite easy to differentiate between schools which are well run with good pupil behaviour, and those which aren't.
    Though again, that is to some extent dependent on intake.
  • Options
    148grss said:

My mother-in-law has started going to Mass most Sundays again, but I wouldn't say this was because she agreed with much of what comes out of the Vatican. Why would you judge someone on that basis?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,868
    Taz said:

MattW said:

ID cards as ID cards are quite sensible.

The problem is the insane attempts to use them to link everything to everything else. With little or no security.

When it was pointed out, during the implementation under the last Labour government, that the security issue was a real one, even they reacted. By creating a special requirement for segregating and guarding the data of "important people'.

The policies on lack of security are still being pushed by the advocates of a new ID card scheme.

Among other things, they would be fundamentally incompatible with European rules (and existing UK rules) on personal data security.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

Why? Have I missed the episode where Sister Kate becomes a combination of Pericles, Lincoln and Lenin?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,030

Donkeys said:

Sandpit said:

Donkeys said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

* referendum on Net Zero

I think it’s telling that there are a fair few independent candidates who Galloway has endorsed, but who haven’t joined his party. Maybe they all realise that, while they may share some similar political views, the party is just a Galloway vehicle and won’t help them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,208
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

Quite clearly, the future direction of the party is up for grabs, and the selection of a new leader is something of a proxy for that.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

God, zzz, yawn

Except even Nixon managed to avoid a criminal trial in the 1968 election year unlike Trump.

There is also no current war the US are involved in unlike 1968 and of course in 1968 Nixon only beat Humphrey by 0.7%, Democrat votes that went for Wallace played a pivotal role
    This guy, Lichtman, correctly predicted 9 out of the 10 last presidential elections.
    Which one did he get wrong?
    Al Gore vs G W Bush
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB8JazHcQ_k
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 148
    Mortimer said:

Street now plugging his endorsement from Boris and photos of them together. Good idea?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

Labour would be happy enough with Forbes, I'd have thought, if it means the SNP are no longer to the left of them.
  • Options
    148grss said:

They disagree with evolution as against Genesis I expect 'Perhaps the most obvious feature of the Free Church is the centrality of the Bible in all that we do. The Free Church believes that the Bible is the inspired Word of God. '

https://freechurch.org/beliefs/
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Taz said:

MattW said:

As basically, although I don't like it, big data and complex algorithms control our lives beyond even what governments can. We don't have freedom anymore, so the downside to an ID system and database is a battle lost.
    The positives of control over resources of the state (healthcare, immigration status, border control and the like) are still there.

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,198
    edited May 1

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

😶

Thanks for listening.

xx

That’s drivel

I’m sorry you and @Topping are unable to see this. I’m happy to agree to disagree but I will not accept being called racist over it.

I haven't fully been following this conversation, so it's a perfect opportunity to throw a couple of thoughts in. ;)

*) It's perfectly possible to be two (or more) things at once. You can be a 'person of colour' and wealthy. Or a 'person of colour' and see big issues with the cultures you were raised in. That isn't a betrayal.

*) The more we get away from stereotypes of how a certain person should act and behave according to sex, race, age, etc, the better. Women should stay at home and look after kids. Black people are all criminals. Gay men should all be flamboyant. Lesbians should all have short hair, the elderly are all waiting for God, etc, etc. Stereotypes are almost always unhelpful, and often destructive. Yet they're an easy (and lazy) way to judge people.
    My two penn’orth…

I find it fascinating how people can hold different, often competing, identities, but sometimes (often?) their political identity is most important to them. An example of this would be Muslims who still support the Tory Party.

To me, it seems, Muslims are to the right, or certain sections of the right, what Jews were in the 30s. A bogeyman. And that fear, suspicion, dislike, call it what you will, of Muslims transcends any supposed solidarity that we in the UK suppose should exist between brown people.

So Braverman, Sunak, Badenoch, Habib for Reform, despite being non-white and perhaps in the eyes of many should have some kind of non-white brotherhood are instead very anti-Muslim. Because they supposedly don’t share ‘our values’ and are swamping the country from small boats, or something.

So if I were a Muslim I would think sod the Tories, they don’t like me and my kind. But many Muslim people do still support the Tories, because they agree with them in a number of ways that are more important to them than that underlying suspicion of Muslims.

If I’d been a gay Tory in times past I think similarly that I would have found it impossible to remain in the Party through section 28 and all that stuff.

You could say a similar argument could be made for Jews who stayed in Labour during the Corbyn years.

I don’t see why we should expect our non-white politicians to be any more immune from stoking race tensions, culture war, religious divisions, just because they’re not white.

I find some of Badenoch and Braverman’s comments around race and the legacy of empire extraordinary, personally, but humans are strange creatures.
    With regards to male gay Conservatives during the Thatcher period, the trick is to realise that the social rules for the rich were different. David Starkey spoke up but was insulated by position. Matthew Parris remained mostly quiet whilst a MP, speaking more loudly later. Norman StJohn-Stevas, by adopting a camp manner, was never really in the closet but by allusion. People adopt to the times and express themselves according to their position in society. The Conservatives, by virtue of having a rich upper stratum, had an advantage in this respect.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    sbjme19 said:

Mortimer said:

Street now plugging his endorsement from Boris and photos of them together. Good idea?
    They must think it is . Perhaps Bozo still remains popular in the West Midlands but it’s a bit risky IMO .
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,858
    edited May 1
    My issue with Kate Forbes is that she implies a moral superiority over her colleagues and a right to decide on her conscience that doesn't apply to to her colleagues, as if those colleagues don't also have to grapple with their consciences on different issues.
  • Options
    legatuslegatus Posts: 126

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Selebian said:

Jim Sillars used to be pretty left wing. I am surprised he has much in common with Forbes.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Cicero said:

Eabhal said:

The SNP just need to ask themselves whether they are likely to lose more voters to Labour/Greens under Forbes or Tories/Alba under Swinney.

Sturgeon's genius was converting a pre-2014 rural SNP into a central belt winning political machine. Going for Forbes = abandoning the central belt and a reversion to their former role as Tartan Tories.

There simply aren't enough rural constituencies for that to work, though perhaps Yousaf's failure to count is contagious?

The "rural" constituencies, i.e anything not in the central belt, are not only fewer in number but historically more marginal. The big fight is still in the central belt, and the SNP are losing the arm wrestle to Scottish Labour, so while I think that Forbes could be a more effective FM in the longer term, I think she will be kept off balance by "events". From the longer point of view of the SNP, it may be better to keep Kate in reserve to lead the recovery, on the grounds that the die is cast for the next GE,

However, Forbes herself thinks that she can limit the losses at the GE and maintain power at Holyrood after the next elections for the Scottish Parliament. Well, all politicians have plenty of ego, but the tide is running, and however skilled Kate Forbes may be, she is probably not ^that^ skilled,
    I don't understand - if Forbes is such a good politician, why did she lose to Hamza the first time around?
    Truncated campaign, very small campaign spending limits limited access to membership lists, hustings packed with Sturgeon loyalists and demonising by the party's woke hierarchy. IIRC, Liz Lloyd (Sturgeon's infamous fixer) also played a major role in the Yousaf campign - while on leave from Scottish Civil service of course ;) .
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 148
    148grss said:

Whilst some people here may think Khan is obnoxious, Hall seems to be (if not a quack herself) then pandering to them:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/may/01/tory-hopeful-for-london-mayor-joins-anti-ulez-facebook-group-rife-with-islamophobia

There's a compendium on YouTube of Susan Hall in hustings and interviews...er..being Susan Hall.
    Sadiq incredibly lucky with his opponent.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

Labour would be happy enough with Forbes, I'd have thought, if it means the SNP are no longer to the left of them.
    As a unionist WRT Scotland, I don't think Labour or Tory will want an SNP leader who understands that independence can only be achieved from a unifying centre ground and who has strong appeal to people who distrust politics and politicians.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

Curious.

I would have thought the Tories would be happy with Forbes too, given that her view that sex before marriage is wrong, wrong, wrong, is shared by so few people - and those who do share her view probably think she should be in the kitchen rather than doing politics.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

My issue with Kate Forbes is that she implies a moral superiority over her colleagues and a right to decide on her conscience that doesn't apply to to her colleagues, as if those colleagues don't also have to grapple with their consciences on different issues.

I don't think a single word of that is correct, and I don't think any of it can be justified.
This discussion has been closed.