Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Could the provinces save Sunak? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,714
    edited April 28
    Can we have some feedback on poster boards please from others as some measure of performance in the locals? In neither our home borough nor our holiday home borough do we have elections so I only have a view from where I have visited. I have driven extensively around Mole Valley and it is a sea of yellow with one Labour board. The council is 29 LD, 4 Tories and no Lab, and with 1/3rd up there appears little likelihood of change, but really it should be a Tory opportunity. Cobham in Elmbridge again is all yellow. Surprisingly this is a LD ward whereas it should be Tory. In Central Cambridge the Greens win the poster board war followed by the LDs and then Lab.

Not a single Tory board seen anywhere in those 3 locations and in the first two they should be the main contenders.

Anyone seen Tory poster boards?
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,926

Andy_JS said:

PB at its finest "Kids today are a bunch of poofs" barminess.
    Any perceived failings of young people (never our own, our kids are perfect) is all our fault. The kids are the ones having to deal with our screw ups. We voted the previous governments in. We spent all the money from our housing bubble. We're knackering the environent, we're the ones feeding them crap that makes them obese and mentally ill. We're the ones dumping hormones into the food chain. We're the ones inventing technology that makes what few skills we've passed on obsolete.
    We should be the ones apologising, not blaming the poor feckers!

The reason they can't afford property is because the population has risen so much over the last 25 years, and most of them support the policies that have led to that situation.
    The cost of housing crisis is linked to many things, population being a small part of it.
    The house building cartel is a bigger villain than immigration.
    The reduction in average household size has been a big demographic driver too. But population size is part of it. So we need more houses (and flats).
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,926
    kjh said:

Can we have some feedback on poster boards please from others as some measure of performance in the locals? In neither our home borough nor our holiday home borough do we have elections so I only have a view from where I have visited. I have driven extensively around Mole Valley and it is a sea of yellow with one Labour board. The council is 29 LD, 4 Tories and no Lab, and with 1/3rd up there appears little likelihood of change, but really it should be a Tory opportunity. Cobham in Elmbridge again is all yellow. Surprisingly this is a LD ward whereas it should be Tory. In Central Cambridge the Greens win the poster board war followed by the LDs and then Lab.

Not a single Tory board seen anywhere in those 3 locations and in the first two they should be the main contenders.

Exhibit A of why Lib Dems always outperform in locals. They really put the elbow grease into it.

Has anyone anywhere seen a Reform poster for the locals? No, didn’t think so. It’s a fictional party.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

Share of men under 30 who admit to having zero sex partners since they turned 18: 27%

The curve is interesting

https://nitter.poast.org/SMTuffy/status/1783781813950845313#m

My God, we need to get these people laid or the country itself will be screwed.

I have the solution. A massive government investment in pubs and discounted booze, and the internet to be switched off between 7pm and 5am.
    It's not booze. There are few people as unattractive and frankly incapable as drunken twentysomethings, plus there are consent issues. I think there should be compulsory national courses for twentysomethings in washing, combing ones hair, getting a better haircut, shaving regularly, moisturising, showering, and going to the gym. Plus shaving those stupid f***ing beards off.
    Both my boys have beards and lovely long term girlfriends. Neither has well paid jobs, but they are kind, good listeners do the cooking and housework and fun to be around. Neither is particularly classically good looking, though not ugly. Each met their girl via Hinge.

It's less marked in Britain, but in America there is a major difference between young men and young women over politics, and the divide is increasing:

https://changeresearch.com/post/young-women-are-more-liberal-than-young-men/

Party politics is not everything, but increasingly it is about cultural and social issues rather than economic ones. These matter, so why would a young woman want to date a gun-toting anti-abortion climate change denier?. Their interests and aspirations are just too far apart, particularly for the College educated

So, it's not just a matter of brushing up on grooming, but also a brushing up of attitudes that's needed. This is an international phenomenon, with South Korea the most extreme example.
    So the men all have to be left wing as well, to please the left wing women?

Why don’t the stupid left wing women veer right, to get the men?

Or have you considered the possibility that the politics ARISE from the way western society seems to favour women, hugely - and it does. And I speak as the father of two daughters. They massively benefit from structural sexism
    You illustrate my point most excellently. Display those attitudes as a young man and don't expect to be dated. No one wants a whiney boyfriend complaining how life is so stacked in favour of girls.

Do you really want to compare numbers in terms of sexual conquests? Really? How can I put it politely: I don’t think you’re going to win

But let’s not go down that road eh

My point is, society is now structured towards women: women live longer, they get better grades in schools (as exams are changed to suit them), they now dominate the professions, they demand equality in every job yet somehow men still do all the shit physical jobs and they don’t demand equality there

And still men are legally discriminated against. Women only shortlists. Prizes for women. Jobs advertised for “minorities and women”. It’s obscene and absurd. And young men are starting to notice
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911

Looks like a close finish in the NE Mayoral campaign between Lab and Mayor Jamie Driscoll

Any odds available?

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1784509596532404419

Yes found the best prices

Lab 1/4
    Ind 5/2
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,069

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

Share of men under 30 who admit to having zero sex partners since they turned 18: 27%

The curve is interesting

I have the solution. A massive government investment in pubs and discounted booze, and the internet to be switched off between 7pm and 5am.
    It's not booze. There are few people as unattractive and frankly incapable as drunken twentysomethings, plus there are consent issues. I think there should be compulsory national courses for twentysomethings in washing, combing ones hair, getting a better haircut, shaving regularly, moisturising, showering, and going to the gym. Plus shaving those stupid f***ing beards off.
    Yes that seems right. Also they need to be told that anyone who does their top button up without a tie, or wears shoes with no socks, will not attract women.
    Did you guys enjoy your 90th birthdays? You sound more old-fashioned than my late grandfather...
    I'd say that they'll be back in a mo to demand national service to teach all those skills (well, perhaps not moisturising, unless it's green cream, and beards depend on whether it's RN).
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,661
    stodge said:

Before we start going down the road of getting 20 somethings to do compulsory national service or attending @viewcode's finishing school for young gentlemen back to the business in hands.

Are we going to see a tale of two sets of Tories on Thursday next? Those who can successfully play on their local record as councillors or Mayors and can disassociate themselves from the national party may insulate themselves to an extent from the national mood. This is perhaps why we are seeing so many Council candidates standing as "Local Conservatives".

Those who can;t may well be on the wrong end of a bad night - it could well be a very mixed bag for the governing party with some high-profile mayoral candidates doing quite well but other candidates and councillors and PCC candidates taking a beating. The issue then is whether incumbency for a local Conservative Mayor can in any way be translated as incumbency for a local MP.

Very few politicians have enough individually to withstand a tide against their party. If anyone can, Street and Houchen can, but it's clearly a struggle even for them. And if they do win, I'm not sure that helps Rishi personally, because they are both so pointedly not-Rishi.

Has the order of service been published for the results yet? The sequencing probably won't help, because it will be set by the early returns. So something like:

Small hours Friday: Blackpool South falls.
    Friday morning: lots of councils falling.
    Friday afternoon: mixed picture with the mayors.
    Saturday: Sadiq wins, albeit unspectacularly.

is probably suboptimal for Number Ten.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,126
    Is there any doubt at all that Sadiq Khan will be re-elected in a few days time?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,151
    edited April 28
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Both my boys have beards and lovely long term girlfriends. Neither has well paid jobs, but they are kind, good listeners do the cooking and housework and fun to be around. Neither is particularly classically good looking, though not ugly. Each met their girl via Hinge.

It's less marked in Britain, but in America there is a major difference between young men and young women over politics, and the divide is increasing:

Party politics is not everything, but increasingly it is about cultural and social issues rather than economic ones. These matter, so why would a young woman want to date a gun-toting anti-abortion climate change denier?. Their interests and aspirations are just too far apart, particularly for the College educated

So, it's not just a matter of brushing up on grooming, but also a brushing up of attitudes that's needed. This is an international phenomenon, with South Korea the most extreme example.

Or have you considered the possibility that the politics ARISE from the way western society seems to favour women, hugely - and it does. And I speak as the father of two daughters. They massively benefit from structural sexism
    According to Mary Harrington - I suspect I will quote her increasingly often - it's a function of how argumentation and debate has become increasingly female, and the way women argue and compete is different to the way men argue and compete. One indicator from my headcanon is the rise in accusations of bullying: a male-organised culture would be ashamed of complaining in that fashion, a female one would not. See https://thecritic.co.uk/issues/december-january-2022/new-female-ascendency/

Rosalind Shorrocks has also given lectures in the past on how men and women increasingly form different voting blocs, not just women-go-left and men-go-right but organised on different subjects

It is also notable that the #MeToo movement in the 2010s and the gender critical movement in the 2020s were predominantly, although not exclusively, female organised.

Plus, there is also UN Sustainable Development Goal 5 and 10

Although it is true to point out that to the dominant culture equality looks like oppression, it is also true to say that equality goals are leveraged to remove disadvantages faced by women wrt men, and not necessarily vice-versa. Recall the complaints when that Scottish man was denied the post of period adviser, on the grounds that a man should not hold the role by virtue of his sex.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,567
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

It won't happen, because the women are holding out for their perfect man, who doesn't exist.
    Well, if men try to step up a bit more perhaps we will find out if women's standards are indeed too high.

It does go against the cliche that women try to fix up and improve their mating partners though.
    It's not that women's standards are too high. If they are given a shot at an alpha man why wouldn't they take it?

The problem is that we accept the alpha men taking all the women. Societies tend not to allow polygamy precisely because it creates a group of men who lose out and aren't happy about it.

So the solution isn't to have a go at women for having standards that are too high. It's to stop a small number of men from scooping up all the women.

I'm not sure how you do that without stoning men for adultery, but it's at least looking at the right end of the problem.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,771

Andy_JS said:

Any perceived failings of young people (never our own, our kids are perfect) is all our fault. The kids are the ones having to deal with our screw ups. We voted the previous governments in. We spent all the money from our housing bubble. We're knackering the environent, we're the ones feeding them crap that makes them obese and mentally ill. We're the ones dumping hormones into the food chain. We're the ones inventing technology that makes what few skills we've passed on obsolete.

The reason they can't afford property is because the population has risen so much over the last 25 years, and most of them support the policies that have led to that situation.
    The cost of housing crisis is linked to many things, population being a small part of it.
    Nope. That is a symptom of the development process. You will hear, on PB, people explaining that the only way to do development is through Big Projects with Big Companies.

The reality is that the rate of property construction is throttled to accommodate various interests.

We have a dynamic system to analyse here. Demand for housing vs demand for no development vs developers interested in supporting prices vs politicians wanting to get re-elected.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Andy_JS said:

Is there any doubt at all that Sadiq Khan will be re-elected in a few days time?

There's always doubt about a future event. But every poll (except one with Corbyn on 15%) has put Hall behind. And I've just had three separate Conservative leaflets in one drop, which is not the sign of a campaign going well.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

You illustrate my point most excellently. Display those attitudes as a young man and don't expect to be dated. No one wants a whiney boyfriend complaining how life is so stacked in favour of girls.

Do you really want to compare numbers in terms of sexual conquests? Really? How can I put it politely: I don’t think you’re going to win

My point is, society is now structured towards women: women live longer, they get better grades in schools (as exams are changed to suit them), they now dominate the professions, they demand equality in every job yet somehow men still do all the shit physical jobs and they don’t demand equality there

And still men are legally discriminated against. Women only shortlists. Prizes for women. Jobs advertised for “minorities and women”. It’s obscene and absurd. And young men are starting to notice
    I don't think comparing numbers is a good metric. I'm happy to concede a lower number, but in my humble opinion they were all stunners, non smokers, intelligent and no money ever changed hands.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,266
    Rwanda is working, latest...

@SkyNews

BREAKING: Small boat migrant arrivals by late April at highest level ever
  • Options
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

The reduction in average household size has been a big demographic driver too. But population size is part of it. So we need more houses (and flats).
    Yup. It's not in the big builders interest to build enough affordable homes and it's not their responsibility to do so, so we can't complain. Only government can solve it. A radical government could make serious inroads into the problem. We just need to find a radical government!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,266

Has the order of service been published for the results yet? The sequencing probably won't help, because it will be set by the early returns. So something like:

Small hours Friday: Blackpool South falls.
    Friday morning: lots of councils falling.
    Friday afternoon: mixed picture with the mayors.
    Saturday: Sadiq wins, albeit unspectacularly.

is probably suboptimal for Number Ten.

You missed out

Friday morning, letters go in.
    Friday afternoon, letters go in.
    Saturday, letters go in.
    Sunday, letters go in.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,878
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

The Tories should ditch Richi. Today.

If his appearance on TV this morning is anything to go by, having him front an election campaign is going to cost them even more seats...

Nonsense. He will go all the way.
    Yes, he will.

That's the problem.

That's why they should ditch him.

Today, if not sooner...
    There are very many things that people shouldn't do, but do anyway.

The harder question is- when did the Conservatives last have a realistic choice to avoid the zugzwang they are now in?

Clearly BoJo never coming to prominence would have helped, but that was probably unavoidable. And once he does, he purges all the tall poppies, because of who he is. So his successors are weaklings and pinheads. Or possibly both.
    Yes, BoZo culled anyone who might be a threat, but even though the current Tory benches are not overstuffed with people more talented than Richi, I reckon they can find at least one that is less unpleasant, less obnoxious and objectionable to voters...

The SNP have a similar problem. Yousless needs to be defenestrated, but it seems like they at least have the wit and skill to do the deed, unlike their Southern counterparts.

The modern Tory party, worse than the SNP...
    Well, it's a tie actually. They have each lost 3 MPs by defection this parliament.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,808
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

I'm not sure it does but "the vibe" is that men are the problem and that women are all victims and discriminated against, which doesn't help.

For the record, when it comes down to it, I've found the same techniques and approach of being confident, assertive, flirtatious, sexual, but also respectful and not a dick, work as much as they ever have.

In private, you can then be as paleo and red-blooded as you ever were.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

I don't think comparing numbers is a good metric. I'm happy to concede a lower number, but in my humble opinion they were all stunners, non smokers, intelligent and no money ever changed hands.
    Really? Your wife certainly charged me. But I don’t mind paying, TBF
  • Options

biggles said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Yes that seems right. Also they need to be told that anyone who does their top button up without a tie, or wears shoes with no socks, will not attract women.
    Did you guys enjoy your 90th birthdays? You sound more old-fashioned than my late grandfather...
    NPxMP has done a funny.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,062

O/T but for anyone feeling a bit sorry for themselves and having a grim time then this is worth reading. The guy was at school with me and last time I saw him was before his grim diagnoses and we were laughing at a bar about our behaviour at school. He’s one of those people who will be a loss to the world.

I know it’s the mail but worth reading and allowing them a click to see a bit of a fine attitude in the face of death.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-13358291/SIMON-BOAS-dying-cancer-written-inspirational-paean-joy-life.html
  • Options
    TimS said:

On topic, I think when people vote for mayors they want interesting personalities. That would seem to explain Livingstone winning as an independent, Boris winning in a Labour city, Burnham winning Manchester (though probably any Labour politician would win that one), Street in Birmingham and even Houchen in Teesside outperforming polls. Khan, seemingly the exception to this rule, has been blessed with two hopeless opponents, and likely a third.

Agreed. It tempers the rule of swing, to some degree.

I'm not sure I can even be arsed with turning out for the PCC on Thursday, and I'm yet to see one that's achieved anything significant and hasn't succumbed to producer capture.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/apr/28/headteachers-schools-england-caretakers-budget-cuts

Specially for @dixiedean . School heads increasingly shifting the shite, not just metaphorically.

One thing I didn't expect to read in Tim Shipman's new book is that Oliver Letwin was notorious in CCHQ for having smelly poos.

I'm serious. Page 128.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,346
    stodge said:

Scott_xP said:

Sunak will face a vote on his future if 52 Tory MPs submit letters of no confidence. Whips are confident that the numbers are nowhere near that figure at present but Tory rebels believe that the local election results could lead to a surge in MPs coming forward. They think a confidence vote is likely if the Tories lose both Andy Street, the mayor of the West Midlands, and Ben Houchen, the Teesside mayor.

One rebel Tory MP said: “My concern is that we don’t have a significant response to Reform. We have a leader who is ill-suited to appealing to voters in the Red Wall. He is seen as an out of touch multi-millionaire who doesn’t share their instincts. If we lose Tees Valley it will be beyond diabolical.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-rebels-plan-save-britain-dan-poulter-labour-kgwq7vwm3

Perhaps and I'm slightly sceptical of the noises coming from Tees Valley. Houchen won 73-27 in 2021 so the fact Labour is even competitive is interesting - a 20% swing would still see Houchen home. To lose Houchen would indeed suggest all was far from well in the Conservative camp.

As for Street, it's very close - 54/46 in 2021 so you'd think Labour should be in with a big chance. The fact it's so close speaks volumes as to Street's performance as mayor.
    Street has two big advantages. Firstly, Birmingham council fucked up and imploded and happened to be run by Labour. If they'd been run by the Tories they'd still have imploded but that's not what people see in the breaking news alert. Second, he's run a large organisation before and successfully positioned himself as John Lewis Man. I don't have any evidence of whether that has more salience than being a Tory but he's certainly butted heads and complained enough about the government for the electorate to treat him like a semi-detatched independent. Rather like Edwards or Christie (pre bridge thing) in the US.
  • Options

TimS said:

On topic, I think when people vote for mayors they want interesting personalities. That would seem to explain Livingstone winning as an independent, Boris winning in a Labour city, Burnham winning Manchester (though probably any Labour politician would win that one), Street in Birmingham and even Houchen in Teesside outperforming polls. Khan, seemingly the exception to this rule, has been blessed with two hopeless opponents, and likely a third.

I'm not sure I can even be arsed with turning out for the PCC on Thursday, and I'm yet to see one that's achieved anything significant and hasn't succumbed to producer capture.
    When PCCs were introduced I was worried that they would lead to an illiberal bidding war, and the police encouraged to ride roughshod over civil liberties, but they seem to have been a complete vacuum instead of actively malign.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,853
    Jenny Gilruth is being touted as the next First Minister of Scotland. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Here she is on #bbcqt earlier in the year. 👇
    VIDEO

https://x.com/FacundoSavala/status/1784608505292284068
  • Options
    Sex with women is fantastic. Getting to know them first and establishing personal intimacy makes it ten times better. Respect for each other doesn't mean you can't make a move and then go for it hammer and tongs either.

There. I said it.
  • Options

TimS said:

The role has a kind of doom loop built in. Because there's not much about it, you get relatively nothing people running for it. Not easy to solve.

Remains to be seen if the shire county mayors do any better. (Can't we call them Sheriffs or Counts instead? Mayors is just wrong.)
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Who on earth flagged this?? I am actually contributing useful advice for PB-ers, that if they meet @kjh’s charming wife DON’T EXPECT A FREE ONE

I am sure @kjh himself will happily back me up. He’s surely even keener than me to keep her income going

Why flag simple consumer advice that’s actually helpful??

*bewildered face*
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,571
    edited April 28
    OnboardG1 said:

stodge said:

Scott_xP said:

Sunak will face a vote on his future if 52 Tory MPs submit letters of no confidence. Whips are confident that the numbers are nowhere near that figure at present but Tory rebels believe that the local election results could lead to a surge in MPs coming forward. They think a confidence vote is likely if the Tories lose both Andy Street, the mayor of the West Midlands, and Ben Houchen, the Teesside mayor.

One rebel Tory MP said: “My concern is that we don’t have a significant response to Reform. We have a leader who is ill-suited to appealing to voters in the Red Wall. He is seen as an out of touch multi-millionaire who doesn’t share their instincts. If we lose Tees Valley it will be beyond diabolical.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tory-rebels-plan-save-britain-dan-poulter-labour-kgwq7vwm3

Perhaps and I'm slightly sceptical of the noises coming from Tees Valley. Houchen won 73-27 in 2021 so the fact Labour is even competitive is interesting - a 20% swing would still see Houchen home. To lose Houchen would indeed suggest all was far from well in the Conservative camp.

As for Street, it's very close - 54/46 in 2021 so you'd think Labour should be in with a big chance. The fact it's so close speaks volumes as to Street's performance as mayor.
    Street has two big advantages. Firstly, Birmingham council fucked up and imploded and happened to be run by Labour. If they'd been run by the Tories they'd still have imploded but that's not what people see in the breaking news alert. Second, he's run a large organisation before and successfully positioned himself as John Lewis Man. I don't have any evidence of whether that has more salience than being a Tory but he's certainly butted heads and complained enough about the government for the electorate to treat him like a semi-detatched independent. Rather like Edwards or Christie (pre bridge thing) in the US.
    I have family back in Brum. Street is seen as a 'get things done' guy and not a politician so much. Definitely in with a chance despite the tory implosion generally is how it is seen. He's the man from John Lewis who has got a lot of infrastructure stuff done.

A big issue is turn out. There is no local council election at same time nor, obviously, a GE, so turn out just for mayor and Police Bod may be very low especially given general feeling about state of things.

Edit: I'm on at 3.3. Street is now 2.34
  • Options
    This seems to be the breakthrough that Leon saw posted about on twitter.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0428/1446111-ukraine/

I wouldn't call this a breakthrough as such. The Russians aren't in behind the Ukrainian lines of defence, so, by definition, they haven't broken through. It has, however, since the fall of Avdiivka, been the fastest rate of advance in the war since Ukraine's Kharkiv and Kherson offensives at the end of 2022.
  • Options

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

Yup. It's not in the big builders interest to build enough affordable homes and it's not their responsibility to do so, so we can't complain. Only government can solve it. A radical government could make serious inroads into the problem. We just need to find a radical government!
    First you need to break the Big Lie that house prices matter a damn to anyone apart from speculators, the dead and the multiply behomed. I'm currently house hunting and it's faintly ludicrous that to get a decently sized three or four bed (120-140sqm) you need to have two salaries in the 80th percentile, no children, a pair of modest inheritances and equity in an existing house. This is a size of property my parents bought in the late 80s with one 80th percentile salary, no inheritances, a child on the way and a comparatively less valuable property than we currently have. The increase in house prices has made my new move harder, not easier, since the absolute difference in value between current and new property has gotten larger. If I were moving ten years ago I'd have been able to afford a larger property or have a much smaller mortgage with no other changes to my circumstances.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

stodge said:

Scott_xP said:

I have family back in Brum. Street is seen as a 'get things done' guy and not a politician so much. Definitely in with a chance despite the tory implosion generally is how it is seen. He's the man from John Lewis who has got a lot of infrastructure stuff done.

A big issue is turn out. There is no local council election at same time nor, obviously, a GE, so turn out just for mayor and Police Bod may be very low especially given general feeling about state of things.

Edit: I'm on at 3.3. Street is now 2.34
    Not being a politician in an anti-politics environment certainly helps. I've never quite understood why Houchen is so popular but I don't really understand Teeside either (in the "I'm ignorant of the area" not the "They're weird" sense).
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,575
    edited April 28
    Middle aged men boasting about their creatively-enhanced purported sex lives. Woopeedoo. I’ll go back to the evening sun and my book.

As soon as it gets hot, you get mozzies, especially in the evenings. A real pain. Mozzies to a sit in the evening sun is like a Leon to a civilised discussion.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Middle aged men boasting about their creatively-enhanced purported sex lives. Woopeedoo. I’ll go back to the evening sun and my book.

Anything interesting? I found a good series which has a Shot and Sorcery setting recently that knocked me out of my reading funk.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,398
    Leon said:

There's been a tweet....

If you’ve spent any time at all on the left of politics, you’re familiar with the progressive male class warrior, usually middle-class himself, whose interest in women’s issues begins and ends with sex work, stripping and abortions. He might claim to be a feminist ally and mutter vaguely about ‘equality’ if the need arises, but when a genuine assault on women’s rights erupted under his nose, he cut left wing women adrift without a second thought. He expected us to be so blindly tribal that we’d surrender single sex spaces, jettison the very language we use to describe ourselves, give up fair sport, agree rapists should be locked up in women’s prisons and that lesbians are bigots for not wanting to sleep with the penis-ed, because (horrors!) some people on the right thought these things were wrong, too.....

The truth is that the left has fucked up monumentally on gender identity ideology and until it owns the mistake, it will continue to hand the right valid talking points. As more and more PMCWs realise this, they’ll take shameless refuge in accusations that we, the women criticising the injustice and insanity of gender identity ideology, were enabling the far-right. The fact is that they’ve done exactly that, by refusing to accept that there was anything wrong with a movement that was causing serious harm to troubled young people, trampling all over women’s rights and seeking to remove single-sex services for the most vulnerable.

https://x.com/jk_rowling/status/1784586797525184794

The left is dividing on this issue quite badly

There is a Guardian interview with Billy Bragg today which teeters on the edge of calling him a fecking wanker (he is) because of the trans issue. Sly references to his really big house in Dorset and his “late night tweets”
    I think, ironically, given the fact Bragg's taking flak, the left's less divided on this than it has been in quite a while, because the GC feminist side has fairly comprehensively won the argument. It used to be the case that there was a genuine split in the middle as it wasn't just the activist left that tended towards the trans rights movement but people on the soft left and centre.

No one would have taken Billy to task on his behaviour in the Graun or Observer because it would've been seen as far too divisive. Now though? Cass has more or less ended the full fat version of activism on this subject that caused most of the problems as a serious, mainstream position on the left.
  • Options
    The French really know how to game UNESCO. It surely helps that it’s based in Paris

Is this really worth World Heritage status? It’s a fortified naval tower from the 17th century. One of a sequence, but still. It’s handsome and it’s on a lovely bay with a quaint but touristy town behind. But still

One of the top 1000 sites to see in the whole world? I can think of twenty equivalents to this in the UK that are unlisted

• Options
    OnboardG1 said:

IanB2 said:

Anything interesting? I found a good series which has a Shot and Sorcery setting recently that knocked me out of my reading funk.
    The Scholomance trilogy is the best thing I've read in ages. The narrator has such an attitude.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Leon said:

The French really know how to game UNESCO. It surely helps that it’s based in Paris

Is this really worth World Heritage status? It’s a fortified naval tower from the 17th century. One of a sequence, but still. It’s handsome and it’s on a lovely bay with a quaint but touristy town behind. But still

One of the top 1000 sites to see in the whole world? I can think of twenty equivalents to this in the UK that are unlisted

UNESCO listing is good if you want to attract the odd extra tourist (apart from the truly great sites) but it can also end up being an albatross round the neck as it ends up being a block on potential development nearby. There was a big furore about the development of Liverpool waterfront for example where UNESCO stripped it of its status due to development when it still deserves it way above that naval tower.

It can be seen as a cachet thing where a country can say “we have 2000 unesco sites” but it can also be a hinderance for those who live there.

Also because you apply for it it’s like those corporate awards you pay to be entered into so winning isn’t really all that. If there was a panel of people such as the late Kenneth Clark and Nicholas Pevsner actively choosing sites then cool otherwise a bit bollocks.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Vauban did, so to speak, build a whole complex of fortifications around the Hexagone AIUI. And as I suspected the UNESCO rating is for the system as a whole. Presumably complaining about this one site - and it looks nice enough to me - is equivalent to moaning that one of the bluestones is missing from Stonehenge, maybe?

https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1283/
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,803

Random thought I had today: I first voted in a GE in 1979, which is nearer in time to the 1935 election than to the one later this year.

Hmm. I beat that by a referendum, if that counts.
  • Options
    Indeed that might be a fun game for a Sunday evening

Ten places in the UK that should be UNESCO listed but aren’t because we’re a bit crap at selling ourselves (and bribing UNESCO)

Kilpeck church & the churches of SW Herefordshire
    Tintern Abbey
    The Victorian heart of Manchester
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    The guildhalls of the City of London
    The Wren churches of the City of London
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester
    The ensemble of Winchester cathedral and the walk to Holy Cross
  • Options
    Leon said:

Ten places in the UK that should be UNESCO listed but aren’t because we’re a bit crap at selling ourselves (and bribing UNESCO)

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

Not just Portchester (I assume you mean) but the entire naval-military complex of Portsmouth and Wight etc. Ditto Chatham naval base (superior in some respects as a preserved naval base).
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542
    Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

I'm surprised you left out this one:

• Options
    Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

And, bias aside, Winchester College as the first example of the public schools that have made everyone’s lives better by producing luminaries such as Rishi, Boris, Dave etc. it has more listed buildings than Manchester so deserves it for being a living museum of educational, religious and secular architecture since the1380s.

And the Isle of Man for being a living museum of the 1950s.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 706
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

There's been some skilled trolling in this thread. I especially enjoyed Viewcode's windup about beards.

But it's hardly true that men do all the shit physical jobs. See cleaning, nursing, and other work that literally involves cleaning up other people's shit.

It's true though that those who call for more women scientists, technologists, engineers, CEOs, etc., rarely say there should be more men working in occupations that currently employ mostly women, despite this being a corollary.

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Vauban did, so to speak, build a whole complex of fortifications around the Hexagone AIUI. And as I suspected the UNESCO rating is for the system as a whole. Presumably complaining about this one site - and it looks nice enough to me - is equivalent to moaning that one of the bluestones is missing from Stonehenge, maybe?

As I said IN MY COMMENT I am aware it’s one of a sequence. I still don’t think it is worth anything like UNESCO listing. And - as I have occasionally noted - I travel a lot and I’ve seen thousands of places more listable than this

And I disagree with @boulay. From my knowledge of the travel industry UNESCO listing really helps a lot in marketing. It’s a great boast

Sure a major city can easily live wthout the hassle. But even Liverpool was stung when it lost its listing. And for most places - not big cities - it’s a serious boon

We are crap at selling the UK in this way. Presentation. The French are excellent at it
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,919
    OnboardG1 said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

First you need to break the Big Lie that house prices matter a damn to anyone apart from speculators, the dead and the multiply behomed. I'm currently house hunting and it's faintly ludicrous that to get a decently sized three or four bed (120-140sqm) you need to have two salaries in the 80th percentile, no children, a pair of modest inheritances and equity in an existing house. This is a size of property my parents bought in the late 80s with one 80th percentile salary, no inheritances, a child on the way and a comparatively less valuable property than we currently have. The increase in house prices has made my new move harder, not easier, since the absolute difference in value between current and new property has gotten larger. If I were moving ten years ago I'd have been able to afford a larger property or have a much smaller mortgage with no other changes to my circumstances.
    I agree it's complex and one of the big factors is how property asset prices have outstripped wages (and inflation). This was particularly true in the 2000s - the era of cheap food, cheap fuel, cheap money and endlessly rising asset values.

That cycle has been broken to an extent by the GFC and Covid-19. What its left is people trapped in their housing, unable to move up (they can always downsize but that's not the option it was). Acquisition via inheritance is one way for people to get on the ladder but that's not possible for everyone.

Building new houses and flats is a step forward but if you price them outside the means of the community in which they are being built you're not solving the problem. Building houses for profit backed by a deliberate policy of restricting available land has got us to where we are - we can break the latter but how do we break the former?
  • Options
    More seriously, the Rows in Chester could be WHS any day of the week. Amazed they've not been so listed.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,705
    High Noom?

News Flash! - Just saw TV ad for . . . wait for it . . . Noom the Weight Loss Ap . . . NOT for whatever it is that PB's parapathetic dystopian is talking/writing/posting/blabbing about.

Question - Do the good (or otherwise) folks at Noom the Ap appreciate the free advertising provided Noom the WTF?

OR are battalions of corporation and/or trial lawyers now mobilizing, so that the former can sue the pants off of the latter, for trademark/copyright infringement and/or debasement?

PB legal eagles (screaming or otherwise) please advise.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,173
    Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

St Enodoc's church is wonderful and better than that French building.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

And, bias aside, Winchester College as the first example of the public schools that have made everyone’s lives better by producing luminaries such as Rishi, Boris, Dave etc. it has more listed buildings than Manchester so deserves it for being a living museum of educational, religious and secular architecture since the1380s.

What about the Isle of Dogs (mens' best friends). Should not it get a shout . . . or rather a bark?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

More seriously, the Rows in Chester could be WHS any day of the week. Amazed they've not been so listed.

It’s because we are poor at seeing and selling what we have

Chester is an excellent example. Would really benefit from WHStatus and give everyone a boost
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Chester is an excellent example. Would really benefit from WHStatus and give everyone a boost
    Iona as well.
  • Options

This seems to be the breakthrough that Leon saw posted about on twitter.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2024/0428/1446111-ukraine/

I wouldn't call this a breakthrough as such. The Russians aren't in behind the Ukrainian lines of defence, so, by definition, they haven't broken through. It has, however, since the fall of Avdiivka, been the fastest rate of advance in the war since Ukraine's Kharkiv and Kherson offensives at the end of 2022.

Trump and the MAGA Republicans truly fucked the Ukrainians like they fucked the Kurds. Hopefully, Ukraine will now mostly recover from it, unlike the Kurds. If the West just commits properly we can truly break the greatest threat to global peace and democracy without firing a bullet ourselves.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,887
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

As I said IN MY COMMENT I am aware it’s one of a sequence. I still don’t think it is worth anything like UNESCO listing. And - as I have occasionally noted - I travel a lot and I’ve seen thousands of places more listable than this

And I disagree with @boulay. From my knowledge of the travel industry UNESCO listing really helps a lot in marketing. It’s a great boast

Sure a major city can easily live wthout the hassle. But even Liverpool was stung when it lost its listing. And for most places - not big cities - it’s a serious boon

We are crap at selling the UK in this way. Presentation. The French are excellent at it
    The French have strong local government who takes care of such things, and the natives have an inborn pride in le patrimoine.

British local government is the weakest in Europe and what money they have goes almost exclusively on social care. And the natives don’t give a shit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited April 28
    If Street and Houchen win then even with heavy council losses I expect Sunak and CCHQ will spin the results as better than expected given the dire forecasts and he should survive until the general election
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Who on earth flagged this?? I am actually contributing useful advice for PB-ers, that if they meet @kjh’s charming wife DON’T EXPECT A FREE ONE

I am sure @kjh himself will happily back me up. He’s surely even keener than me to keep her income going

*bewildered face*
    Just so you know it wasn't me who flagged you. To be honest I would like to see the flag option taken away.. I didn't take offence. My wife might, but she won't see the post.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

There is a typing error in that post. It says 'better' instead of 'worse.'

(And also, King's Canterbury is older.)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

Scott_xP said:

The Tories should ditch Richi. Today.

If his appearance on TV this morning is anything to go by, having him front an election campaign is going to cost them even more seats...

Nonsense. He will go all the way.
    Yes, he will.

That's the problem.

That's why they should ditch him.

Today, if not sooner...
    There are very many things that people shouldn't do, but do anyway.

The harder question is- when did the Conservatives last have a realistic choice to avoid the zugzwang they are now in?

Clearly BoJo never coming to prominence would have helped, but that was probably unavoidable. And once he does, he purges all the tall poppies, because of who he is. So his successors are weaklings and pinheads. Or possibly both.
    Yes, BoZo culled anyone who might be a threat, but even though the current Tory benches are not overstuffed with people more talented than Richi, I reckon they can find at least one that is less unpleasant, less obnoxious and objectionable to voters...

The SNP have a similar problem. Yousless needs to be defenestrated, but it seems like they at least have the wit and skill to do the deed, unlike their Southern counterparts.

The modern Tory party, worse than the SNP...
    No they don't, the SNP are behind Yousaf, just most of the opposition parties and now the Greens want him gone
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

*bewildered face*
    Just so you know it wasn't me who flagged you. To be honest I would like to see the flag option taken away.. I didn't take offence. My wife might, but she won't see the post.
    She’s just sent me a tinder message saying she did see the post.

• Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

*bewildered face*
    Good. I hoped you were too chilled to take exception to banter (esp as you initiated it!)

Not that I mind being flagged. Better to be talked about…
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Nope. Andy Burnham will also clean up. No real challenge to either of them.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

*bewildered face*
    *raises eyebrows*

I think that's an optimistic assessment of Leon's capabilities...unless we're talking about that one he made for Kim Jong Un where he misunderstood the instruction on 'make it as big as me.'
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 706
    edited April 28
    Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

St Cross, not Holy Cross. But yes - another high-noom site, albeit not as high-noom as the hilltop to its east.

As for William of Wykeham, whoever commissioned those little figures by his feet in his tomb-chapel in Winchester Cathedral must have been no stranger to hallucinogenic drugs. Ditto for the "Trusty Servant" that an Iranian friend identified as a djinn as soon as he saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc1OCJ7iXk
  • Options
    stodge said:

OnboardG1 said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

I agree it's complex and one of the big factors is how property asset prices have outstripped wages (and inflation). This was particularly true in the 2000s - the era of cheap food, cheap fuel, cheap money and endlessly rising asset values.

That cycle has been broken to an extent by the GFC and Covid-19. What its left is people trapped in their housing, unable to move up (they can always downsize but that's not the option it was). Acquisition via inheritance is one way for people to get on the ladder but that's not possible for everyone.

Building new houses and flats is a step forward but if you price them outside the means of the community in which they are being built you're not solving the problem. Building houses for profit backed by a deliberate policy of restricting available land has got us to where we are - we can break the latter but how do we break the former?
    I was boring enough to read the executive summary of the Competition Commission's report into the state of the housing market and aside from their conclusion that housebuilders were acting like a cartel (my summary, not theirs) the thing that struck me was that they quite clearly stated that the only time that enough housing had been constructed was when there were significant programmes of state sponsored housebuilding. So the answer is clear: the government should build houses and sell them at cost. Unfortunately that is unlikely to happen.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Iona as well.
    And Lindisfarne. Those are two ridiculous lacunae
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,449
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Remember, when claiming conquests hookers don't count.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

"Back in 1990 Mrs Thatcher managed to spin the 1990 locals as a good result for the Tories by focussing on the Tory holds the flagship councils of Westminster and Wandsworth".

Yes - this is what I have been thinking about too. The Tories got walloped - they lost nearly 300 seats - but Wandsworth, Wandsworth, Wandsworth was what was all over the rightwing media, i.e. most of the media. Wandsworth had a very low poll tax, and if memory serves it was actually reduced to zero in early 1991 when £140 was taken off everywhere and Wandsworth was the only place it had been under £140 to start with.

Of course Thatcher herself was out of office by then, the results in the locals having triggered a "Thatcher should go" feeling among some Tories which hadn't been heard for more than a decade. But the Tories won the general election of 1992 and Major was nowhere near as charismatic as Mordaunt.

Major had gravitas and Starmer is no Neil Kinnock
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

And no one has ever lied on the internet. Unlike in bed.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Perhaps they are saving themselves for marriage or want to be Roman Catholic priests?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

There is a typing error in that post. It says 'better' instead of 'worse.'

(And also, King's Canterbury is older.)
    Hmm, dubious as it’s not continuous. Its current existence dates to the mid 1500s. Also Win Coll was definitely the model that the public schools and all the goodness and sweetness that came out from them followed. There’s a good “The rest is history” on it all.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

There's been some skilled trolling in this thread. I especially enjoyed Viewcode's windup about beards.

But it's hardly true that men do all the shit physical jobs. See cleaning, nursing, and other work that literally involves cleaning up other people's shit.

It's true though that those who call for more women scientists, technologists, engineers, CEOs, etc., rarely say there should be more men working in occupations that currently employ mostly women, despite this being a corollary.
    If we're talking about the United States, women there can be forced to bear a child for nine months and give birth for failed contraception. Or, in some states, even if they are raped. Meanwhile, rich white men like Donald Trump can blatantly break the law, then attack the judge constantly in abrogation of gag orders, and never face accountability. While poor women can be arrested for trying to terminate a fetus that is likely to kill them. The dismissive reaction to Donald Trump boasting that grabbing women by the genitals also shows it is a highly misogynistic culture.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Perhaps they are saving themselves for marriage or want to be Roman Catholic priests?
    Marriage rates and religion are also declining rapidly, so that seems unlikely.
  • Options
    Jim Miller, this one is for you . . . and also PB POTUS/VP punters . . .

Axios - Scoop: Gov. Doug Burgum moves up Trump's VP ladder

North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum is quickly moving up former President Trump's list of possible vice presidential picks because Trump's team believes he would be a safe choice who could attract moderate voters, four people familiar with the situation tell Axios.

Why it matters: Burgum is on a long list of VP contenders, but Trump's rising interest in the North Dakota governor has been clear in recent weeks — and reveals his latest thinking about how he thinks his running mate could help him with undecided voters. . . .

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/28/trump-burgum-vice-president-contender-election

SSI - This article does NOT mention potential of Gov Burgum to be a BIG help for Trump in raising big money, both via his own ample (I think) financial resources AND business networking.

Another factor is fact that, as North Dakota (3 EVs) goes, so goes . . . South Dakota (ditto). However, possible that governor from the Dakotas (one NOT given to bragging about killing dogs & goats) may help Trump in battleground states of Upper Midwest, namely Minnesota and Wisconsin.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Yes, some up in Theydon Bois now along with the LD ones.

The Tories almost never win the poster war anyway, even in good years like the 2021 locals or 2015 and 2019 GEs. In 2015 for example I saw far more Labour than Conservative posters, especially in London but Cameron won a majority.

Tory voters are more reticent about displaying their allegiances than Labour or LD voters
  • Options
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Iona as well.
    And Lindisfarne. Those are two ridiculous lacunae
    St Davids as well, arguably.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

St Cross, not Holy Cross. But yes - another high-noom site, albeit not as high-noom as the hilltop to its east.

As for William of Wykeham, whoever commissioned those little figures by his feet in his tomb-chapel in Winchester Cathedral must have been no stranger to hallucinogenic drugs. Ditto for the "Trusty Servant" that an Iranian friend identified as a djinn as soon as he saw it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc1OCJ7iXk
    My aim in life is to be the living embodiment of the Trusty Servant. Especially the stag’s hooves for feet. And the pig’s snout.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    In a pub in Southwold with a pint of Broadside and a packet of Nobby Nuts and not a care in the world
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

*bewildered face*
    Regardless of the flagging dispute, having a high quality woman that will marry you - and stay married to you - is a far better marker of a real man that a hundred one night stands.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

Only Rishi went to Winchester, Boris and Dave went to Eton.

Indeed former Labour leader Hugh Gaitskell and Gladstone's Chancellor Robert Lowe went to Winchester so it has produced as many top Labour and Liberal politicians as Tories
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

I would never lie on the internet.

My great integrity in this regard is how I managed to seduce Margot Robbie.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

Indeed former Labour leader Hugh Gaitskell and Gladstone's Chancellor Robert Lowe went to Winchester so it has produced as many top Labour and Liberal politicians as Tories
    Re Boris and Dave I meant that he public school system produced them not W. The gift that we gave. You missed Stafford Cripps and the legend that is Giles Radice and someone called Oswald Mosely from the Labour side.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,571
    kjh said:

In a pub in Southwold with a pint of Broadside and a packet of Nobby Nuts and not a care in the world

Broadside is an excellent pint!
  • Options
    WillG said:

HYUFD said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

Marriage rates and religion are also declining rapidly, so that seems unlikely.
    In the West maybe but of course without marriage and committed relationships, the richest and best looking will get most of the girls and then probably move onto the next once they have had their fun with them
  • Options
    WillG said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

If we're talking about the United States, women there can be forced to bear a child for nine months and give birth for failed contraception. Or, in some states, even if they are raped. Meanwhile, rich white men like Donald Trump can blatantly break the law, then attack the judge constantly in abrogation of gag orders, and never face accountability. While poor women can be arrested for trying to terminate a fetus that is likely to kill them. The dismissive reaction to Donald Trump boasting that grabbing women by the genitals also shows it is a highly misogynistic culture.
    Out of curiosity, have you ever visited the USA?

Believe you are somewhat off-base, in thinking that Donald Trump is typical of American rich men, White men and culture in general. Instead, he's a symptom of hyper-polarized politics at a time of wide-spread alienation from politics as usual.

Thus folks who would most definitely NOT approve let alone applaud crotch-grabbing and/or soverign-citizenship re: legal system, are willing and able to consider Trump some kind of exception-victim, and above all the sworn enemy of what they hate (at least this decade) more than sin: politics as usual.
  • Options
    edited April 28
    WillG said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

*bewildered face*
    Regardless of the flagging dispute, having a high quality woman that will marry you - and stay married to you - is a far better marker of a real man that a hundred one night stands.
    After 30 years it's too much effort for either of us to do anything about it anyway, but thank you that was a nice comment @WillG
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    edited April 28
    I think Street will win. My dad and his partner live in Coventry and they are voting Street for mayor but Labour in the GE.

No idea about Houchen but I hope he loses
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

I would never lie on the internet.

My great integrity in this regard is how I managed to seduce Margot Robbie.
    You've seduced my wife?
  • Options
    WillG said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

*bewildered face*
    Is it? Who says?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Do they row in the streets of Chester on a daily basis? Or just on Friday/Saturday nights?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,616
    HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

They should ban Public Schoolboy twats from ever being PM.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,117
    I’d probably vote for Street if I still lived in the WM.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

Absolutely, they should only allow State Schoolgirl geniuses like Liz Truss to be PM.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

No Attlee, Churchill, Macmillan, Blair, Cameron or Gladstone or Boris or Sunak in that case
  • Options
    edited April 28
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

biggles said:

viewcode said:

The curve is interesting

*bewildered face*
    Good. I hoped you were too chilled to take exception to banter (esp as you initiated it!)

Not that I mind being flagged. Better to be talked about…
    Yep, all is ok. Took it in the manner it was intended. I have never flagged anyone.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

No Attlee, Churchill, Macmillan, Blair, Cameron or Gladstone or Boris or Sunak in that case
    You catch on well, my friend :lol:
  • Options
    boulay said:

HYUFD said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Tintern Abbey
    Oxford
    Cambridge
    Victorian Glasgow
    Porchester

Absolutely, they should only allow State Schoolgirl geniuses like Liz Truss to be PM.
    T
    R
    U
    S
    S
  • Options
    I have found my spiritual home. A weird wooden shack next to a warehouse in a naval yard that ONLY sells oysters. And maybe smoked trout if you’re good. And it’s busy busy on a Sunday night and you can sit outside and watch the sun go down on the blue waters of Crozon bay

Fantastic
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187
    ydoethur said:

You'll find a WH Smith at the city walls, in Foregate Street, Chester
    Pleased to help

This discussion has been closed.