Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Floaters and voters – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,693
edited April 28 in General
imageFloaters and voters – politicalbetting.com

75 of the 100 constituencies worst hit by sewage spills last year are held by Conservative MPsLib Dems' @timfarron claims Tory MPs facing a “reckoning at the ballot box” in general electionStory here ?https://t.co/WuchANqtT8 pic.twitter.com/bG4jzPhrdj

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    Second!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,990
    Number 2
  • Options
    FPT:

kle4 said:

Banning cigarettes via some kind of intrusive age check mechanism. Just ugh, Britain.

The country seems full of curtain-twitching killjoys.

If government wants cigarettes banned just get it over with and ban for everyone. I know why they are not doing that, but if it is so bad people should be prevented from doing it then why is it ok to continue to let people do it (legally) just because they already are?

It's a disgusting, inexplicable habit, but I'd have voted against the measure myself.
    I completely agree with you. Same.
    As the policy progresses, it will however create jobs for older folk as ciggy buyers for the young.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,525

I often concur with pb headers but unfortunately this sounds like a load of old crap.

Yes, this thread header is full of shit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Number 2

…say the Tories, as they come in third…!
  • Options

I often concur with pb headers but unfortunately this sounds like a load of old crap.

Yes, this thread header is full of shit.
    It’s one of those nothing stories that will however get the sewage issue back into the papers, especially local papers in the worst affected areas, and maybe get the LDs a bit of publicity on the side. So it’s clever PR
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,727
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Banning cigarettes via some kind of intrusive age check mechanism. Just ugh, Britain.

If government wants cigarettes banned just get it over with and ban for everyone. I know why they are not doing that, but if it is so bad people should be prevented from doing it then why is it ok to continue to let people do it (legally) just because they already are?

It's a disgusting, inexplicable habit, but I'd have voted against the measure myself.
    As the policy progresses, it will however create jobs for older folk as ciggy buyers for the young.
    Or just fuel the black marker that goes on in pubs etc..

I am all for tobacco cessation but am not convinced this is the best way,not least because of practical issues .
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

I am all for tobacco cessation but am not convinced this is the best way,not least because of practical issues .
    Will the ‘offence’ just be for retailers selling to the under-age, or any private individual? That makes a big difference
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,229
    IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

I loathe smoking. I would ban it today completely if I had the power. The harms associated with it are horrific, from 70,000 slow, painful deaths a year in the U.K., to breathing problems, stunted growth, yellow teeth, awful complexion. Nicotine is horrendously addictive. Many smokers wish they had never started.
    So yes, the new law will look a bit odd, with the boundary effects but so what? We have other boundaries in society around age. I can’t live in a Macarthy and Stone Apartment yet, for instance. More seriously ther are age limits on many activities.
    If not this, then what? See people continue to wreck their health and die of lung cancer? Isn’t this better than keeping driving the price higher and higher?
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,791
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Similar here. And the difference between the illicit supply going to organised crime vs friends buying them for their mates is a big one. I suspect the latter is more likely and much less of a deal.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 791
    What part of the current trend towards the population not smoking nearly as much suggests we need new illiberal legislation banning sales to the generation that will smoke less for their age than any previous group?

The second hand smoke argument is a load of codswallop because they are banning vaping and nicotine patches as well which doesn't generate second hand smoke.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,243
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Rates of smoking, like rates of drinking, are in decline and have been for many years.

Personally I don't care if people smoke or not as long as it is not by me.

We are getting to the stage where any health lobbying group will propose a ban on something on the pretext of saving rNHS. Irrespective of whether it works or not.

This will simply fuel, the already booming, black market.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

I loathe smoking. I would ban it today completely if I had the power. The harms associated with it are horrific, from 70,000 slow, painful deaths a year in the U.K., to breathing problems, stunted growth, yellow teeth, awful complexion. Nicotine is horrendously addictive. Many smokers wish they had never started.
    So yes, the new law will look a bit odd, with the boundary effects but so what? We have other boundaries in society around age. I can’t live in a Macarthy and Stone Apartment yet, for instance. More seriously ther are age limits on many activities.
    If not this, then what? See people continue to wreck their health and die of lung cancer? Isn’t this better than keeping driving the price higher and higher?
    "Normal" smoking is dying out naturally through tax, awareness and labelling. Vaping is the future threat that has tapped into being "cool".
  • Options

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Similar here. And the difference between the illicit supply going to organised crime vs friends buying them for their mates is a big one. I suspect the latter is more likely and much less of a deal.
    It'll change with time.

To start with older friends will buy for younger people.

In 40 year's time, young people will simply buy from criminal gangs like with other drugs, assuming this moronic law lasts that long.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

It'll change with time.

In 40 year's time, young people will simply buy from criminal gangs like with other drugs, assuming this moronic law lasts that long.
    I'm not sure. Why would they buy cigarretes rather than something a bit more fun?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,702
    Ratters said:

What part of the current trend towards the population not smoking nearly as much suggests we need new illiberal legislation banning sales to the generation that will smoke less for their age than any previous group?

The second hand smoke argument is a load of codswallop because they are banning vaping and nicotine patches as well which doesn't generate second hand smoke.

The trend is good, but we want people to get to zero quicker.

I’m not aware of any other product with a 50% death rate for regular use that we allow to be sold legally.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,078
    Scott_xP said:

The Times read the book, so you don't have to...

In her introduction Truss insists she has not written a conventional political memoir. This broken promise, and the millenarian title, imply that Ten Years to Save the West is the sort of bracing polemic one would expect from a politician now marooned far adrift of establishment respectability. I wish it were. Instead Truss has managed to combine the more tedious hallmarks of both genres into a book that is for whole chapters readable only in the most literal sense of the word, like the ingredients on a crisp packet. At its worst it reads as if the publisher Biteback, which paid Truss an almost disrespectful advance of just over £1,500, asked ChatGPT to imagine Keith Joseph and Richard Littlejohn reading Wikipedia to one another.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-book-review-ten-years-to-save-the-west-qgxgzkc8n

“Keith Joseph and Richard Littlejohn reading Wikipedia to each other”

Ouch!

• Options

Ratters said:

I’m not aware of any other product with a 50% death rate for regular use that we allow to be sold legally.
    What do ultra processed foods clock in at?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,888
    Scott_xP said:

In her introduction Truss insists she has not written a conventional political memoir. This broken promise, and the millenarian title, imply that Ten Years to Save the West is the sort of bracing polemic one would expect from a politician now marooned far adrift of establishment respectability. I wish it were. Instead Truss has managed to combine the more tedious hallmarks of both genres into a book that is for whole chapters readable only in the most literal sense of the word, like the ingredients on a crisp packet. At its worst it reads as if the publisher Biteback, which paid Truss an almost disrespectful advance of just over £1,500, asked ChatGPT to imagine Keith Joseph and Richard Littlejohn reading Wikipedia to one another.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/liz-truss-book-review-ten-years-to-save-the-west-qgxgzkc8n

It's probably fine as far as political memoirs go, but if she is trying to insist it's not conventional I'd be immediately suspicious. Bog standard stuff being presented as revolutionary or anti establishment is a common conceit in politics.
  • Options
    Taz said:

DavidL said:

Strong words.

ZELENSKY TO U.S: WHAT YOU DID FOR ISRAEL - WHY NOT THE SAME FOR UKRAINE?

🇺🇸BLINKEN: IRAN IS NOT RUSSIA.

ZELENSKY:
    "I can tell you frankly that we have no chance of winning without US support.

You need to be much stronger than your enemy.

Today, our artillery ratio is 1-10. Can we hold our ground?
    No.

With this artillery ratio, they'll be pushing us back every day.

To defend 100% of what's in our control, we must go from 1-10 to 10-10."

Source: PBS News Hour

https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/1780310689929646112

The crisis has been coming for several weeks now. And it’s here. We must do all we can do. Now.
    The sad truth is the US, and much of Europe, has just got bored of Ukraine.

Putin knows this. And he will exploit it.

Just look at this place. Our Ukraine ultras barely mention them now. Twelve months ago they were stating what the terms were for,the end of the conflict.
    No one can sustain the level of focus on a particular topic endlessly. Commentators and even governments dropping interest in Ukraine was inevitable. What wasn't inevitable was undermining Ukraine by dropping support, but that is what has happened.

Absent a miracle this is the year they get forced to the bargaining table, and at that point Putin already wins. Then the West will wring its hands and say 'Shucks, that's bad but we have to accept the status quo'.

• Options
    Ratters said:

Because the trend is slowing

There is a segment of smokers (the “irreconcilables”) who will never give up and are a net cost on health (the tax surplus comes from those who smoke for a period or not heavily).

The key is to avoid more people joining that group - and the best way to do that is to stop them starting

Additionally they screwed up badly on the regulation of vaping and this allows it to be fixed without admiting that
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,525

Scott_xP said:

“Keith Joseph and Richard Littlejohn reading Wikipedia to each other”

Ouch!

The headline on that article is even more ouch.

Ten Years to Save the West by Liz Truss review — as readable as a crisp packet

The former PM’s 300-page self-justification of her disastrous premiership is whingey, wooden and baffling
  • Options

Ratters said:

Stopping eating has negative side effects
  • Options
    edited April 17

Ratters said:

Do vapes have a 50% death rate for regular use? If not, why are they also being banned?

Your assumption is that this policy will accelerate the decline in smoking usage. Around the same percentage of 16-24 year olds use marijuana or other illegal drugs as that smoke cigarettes, so I'm not sure there's much evidence a ban will be the more effective route than a continuation and expansion of the current policy.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,757

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

"Normal" smoking is dying out naturally through tax, awareness and labelling. Vaping is the future threat that has tapped into being "cool".
    I think the incidence of smoking is increasing amongst young people, albeit from a very low base. Overall smoking rates are no longer falling substantially. This suggests vaping is not an effective smoking cessation tool overall.
  • Options

Ratters said:

Less than 50%.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Even that seems somewhat less present than a few years ago, at least that is my impression.

On smoking if its so bad then theres no reason not to ban it completely. If its OK that people above a certain age smoke then why not ok for everyone to make such a disgusting choice?

So either get rid of it or don't, not this weird half measure.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

Do vapes have a 50% death rate for regular use? If not, why are they also being banned?

Your assumption is that this policy will accelerate the decline in smoking usage. Around the same percentage of 16-24 year olds use marijuana or other illegal drugs as that smoke cigarettes, so I'm not sure there's much evidence a ban will be the more effective route than a continuation and expansion of the current policy.
    Vapes are another conversation.

Generally, making it harder to get something decreases use.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,727
    On topic, this does seem to be an issue that LDs will lead on at the GE, with many target seats adversely affected by sewage outfalls. It isn't just a issue in itself, and one that many light greens can get behind, but symbolic of how the country has been run over the last decades.

A nationalised utility privatised because it needed investment and improvement (there being nothing new about sewage in British rivers and coasts) but little investment actually occurring in reservoirs and treatment plans, just being used as a way to skim off dividends for shareholders of whom many are overseas.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Even that seems somewhat less present than a few years ago, at least that is my impression.

On smoking if its so bad then theres no reason not to ban it completely. If its OK that people above a certain age smoke then why not ok for everyone to make such a disgusting choice?

So either get rid of it or don't, not this weird half measure.
    It is a weird half measure, and I am unsure about it, marginally against.

But if you made it completely illegal from 2025 I am pretty sure it would lead to significant boon in organised crime revenues, and therefore police corruption, money laundering and probably violence from turf wars too. Those seem unlikely at the significant level with this policy.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

A total ban isn't politically possible. This eventually gets us to a total ban without infringing the rights of anybody who chooses to smoke today.
    Well yes, that's clearly the reasoning behind it and politically its a more sensible choice - the potential future smokers are unlikely to punish anyone for being denied sonething they dont know they will want - but it's just silly on its face to in effect declare its so awful we must eradicate it...but not you, you can keep smoking.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    Ratters said:

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

It'll change with time.

In 40 years time most people won’t bother smoking - it will be a relic of the past and seen for what it is, unhealthy and antisocial.

The difference with most drugs is that it’s really obvious that you’ve been or are smoking. You can see the clouds of smoke, smell the cloud of smoke, smell it on the person - there is just no way of doing it subtly. You can do a line of coke at work and not be noticed doing it but you won’t be able to sneak out for a crafty fag.

Yes people smoke cannabis but they will always likely not give a shit for the law and frankly it will be harder to get away with it in public if nobody smokes fags anymore as the cloud of smoke won’t be confused for anything else.

There is absolutely nothing good about smoking - I wish to god this law had been rolling before I started smoking so that I hadn’t.

I wish also I had moved onto a vape sooner as since the beginning of January I’ve gone from sometimes 20 fags a day to finding the smell of cigarettes absolutely vile. I started vaping with the frequency of smoking and I’ve gradually, without actively trying, just got down to the bare minimum and have just switched to my next level down of nicotine strength liquid. After that I will have the zero nicotine so that when I’m having a drink I have that comfort blanket of something to puff on.

The thing is I shouldn’t have to be going through hoops to stop something horrifically bad for my health and other people but I do because nicotine is terrible. There are people who probably won’t be able to scale down as surprisingly easily as I have managed and I can imagine it’s awful always wanting a fag.

So anything that makes someone less likely to smoke is fine by me.
  • Options

Ratters said:

Ratters said:

Vapes are part of this legislation. So do you support a generational ban on them or not? If no, you presumably don't support the legislation as it stands?

As I said: just as many young people use illegal drugs as smoke. Cigarettes will be even easier to access given most of the population can buy them freely (and young people can buy them overseas to bring into the UK).

I fail to see why this will have a large impact on smoking rates nationally. A renewed, wholesale campaign targeting across all age groups would be far more effective, and far less illiberal.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

Strong words.

ZELENSKY:

No.

The crisis has been coming for several weeks now. And it’s here. We must do all we can do. Now.

Just look at this place. Our Ukraine ultras barely mention them now. Twelve months ago they were stating what the terms were for,the end of the conflict.
    No one can sustain the level of focus on a particular topic endlessly.

I think I can re SKS

• Options
    Foxy said:

On topic, this does seem to be an issue that LDs will lead on at the GE, with many target seats adversely affected by sewage outfalls. It isn't just a issue in itself, and one that many light greens can get behind, but symbolic of how the country has been run over the last decades.

A nationalised utility privatised because it needed investment and improvement (there being nothing new about sewage in British rivers and coasts) but little investment actually occurring in reservoirs and treatment plans, just being used as a way to skim off dividends for shareholders of whom many are overseas.

Poor buggers being criticised for not taking the piss (and other stuff).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,855

Foxy said:

Indeed. The reason why "piles of rubbish in the streets" still resonates today is that it is deeply symbolic of a broken country. We are broken again today, and whilst rubbish largely isn't piled up, turds are.

Not only are we a country incapable of basic sanitation, we have the governing party sneeringly dismissing the issue and backing the private companies making it unsafe for people to go near rivers or on beaches.
    The discussion about Usonian bears and nutty libertarians yesterday was surprisingly relevant. As was, in terms of highlighting the UK problem, the Boat Race (Oxbridge one).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,729
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Number 2

Time to flush them.
  • Options
    Ratters said:

Ratters said:

Ratters said:

Vapes are part of this legislation. So do you support a generational ban on them or not? If no, you presumably don't support the legislation as it stands?

As I said: just as many young people use illegal drugs as smoke. Cigarettes will be even easier to access given most of the population can buy them freely (and young people can buy them overseas to bring into the UK).

I fail to see why this will have a large impact on smoking rates nationally. A renewed, wholesale campaign targeting across all age groups would be far more effective, and far less illiberal.
    Existing measures and campaigns to encourage smoking cessation across all age groups aren’t being withdrawn. This is an additional measure.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Indeed. The reason why "piles of rubbish in the streets" still resonates today is that it is deeply symbolic of a broken country. We are broken again today, and whilst rubbish largely isn't piled up, turds are.

Not only are we a country incapable of basic sanitation, we have the governing party sneeringly dismissing the issue and backing the private companies making it unsafe for people to go near rivers or on beaches.
    It's the absurd extreme of free market ideology.
    It ought to have been recognised back in Thatcher's time that the market is a non starter as a principle for managing a universally essential public utility.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    geoffw said:
    In the Guinness Book of Records for making the World's biggest tool, I believe.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012

If the US (ie the Republicans) remember their duty then Ukraine will win. If not then Russia will grind them into submission.

Why is the territorial integrity of Ukraine the "duty" of the US tax payer?

Anybody depending on the enduring commitment of the US to the cause was always heading for disappointment.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

dixiedean said:

Number 2

Or rather, ignored by the Tories.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

If the US (ie the Republicans) remember their duty then Ukraine will win. If not then Russia will grind them into submission.

Anybody depending on the enduring commitment of the US to the cause was always heading for disappointment.
    Their duty is to have a vote on it, which they've been obstructing for months.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

A total ban isn't politically possible. This eventually gets us to a total ban without infringing the rights of anybody who chooses to smoke today.
    Well yes, that's clearly the reasoning behind it and politically its a more sensible choice - the potential future smokers are unlikely to punish anyone for being denied sonething they dont know they will want - but it's just silly on its face to in effect declare its so awful we must eradicate it...but not you, you can keep smoking.
    I don't think it's any more illogical than the status quo, which is what you keep if you vote against the incremental ban. ie declare it will of course kill you in three most horrible ways but as long as the packets, which are made particularly lurid, are kept out of sight in the shops you can carry on buying them

Given that you might as well go for what works.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,971
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not that StillWaters was doing this but there has been a long habit of, especially Europeans, mocking Americans, looking down their noses, criticising them for getting involved in other countries, hating the US influence culturally and politically as well as financially, and then crying for help from the US to do things the critics can’t do themselves or don’t have the bottle to do when things go tits up.
  • Options
    edited April 17
    boulay said:

A A Milne was very prescient.

All the more appropriate as (ISTR) the original bridge is the one over the Thames on the paths from Dorchester-on-Thames through the promontory fort to Wittenham Clumps/Pendon Museum.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6371245,-1.1801822,3a,75y,184.33h,75.94t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAF1QipO0TBldXU99qo0x_QK2QPGvQ_SRNEjjkwshQNDG!2e10!7i5376!8i2688?entry=ttu
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

No duty, but Russia holding onto its gains or making more gains does not feel like it would be a positive outcome for US international interests. They've gained some NATO members but leaving morals aside and just going full cynic there's surely national benefit to be had for the USA to help blunt Russia's military even more, rather than push Ukraine towards a deal.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    kle4 said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

Strong words.

ZELENSKY:

No.

No one can sustain the level of focus on a particular topic endlessly. Commentators and even governments dropping interest in Ukraine was inevitable. What wasn't inevitable was undermining Ukraine by dropping support, but that is what has happened.

Absent a miracle this is the year they get forced to the bargaining table, and at that point Putin already wins. Then the West will wring its hands and say 'Shucks, that's bad but we have to accept the status quo'.
    And then Putin will do it again. That's what the appeasers (including some on here) miss - or pretend to miss. Putin has made his aims very clear, and it isn't just Ukraine. It's also in line with his current and previous actions.

The question for the appeasers id this: where is your red line? How much of other people's territory - and how many actual other people - are you willing to gift to a fascist empire?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

I don't think it's any more illogical than the status quo, which is what you keep if you vote against the incremental ban. ie declare it will of course kill you in three most horrible ways but as long as the packets, which are made particularly lurid, are kept out of sight in the shops you can carry on buying them

Current policy being illogical doesn't mean other illogical options should be done as well.

I despise smoking, but dumb as saying it will kill but you can still buy it is, at least all adults are being treated the same.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

The US’s long term strategic interest is standing up to Russia. The Republicans have forgotten that - they have become corrupted as a party.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,502
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Phasing things in/out has a long political history. Given that smokers are addicts, they are not going to go gently into the night - politically, cutting them off is very hard. So letting the existing addicts get on with it, while banning for new entrants has some logic to it.

{browses adverts for sea going power boats - cigarette boats}
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

Current policy being illogical doesn't mean other illogical options should be done as well.

I despise smoking, but dumb as saying it will kill but you can still buy it is, at least all adults are being treated the same.
    The core idea is that you stop new people from starting smoking, without imposing restrictions on people who already smoke. That’s a policy choice: it’s not inherently illogical.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,642
    Good morning everyone.

The geographical distribution is interesting.

It's going to be a day of evidence free Scot-Gnattery on Twitter isn't it, since this data is England only?

"Look at THEM! Look at THEM! Look at THEM THEM THEM!"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

No duty, but Russia holding onto its gains or making more gains does not feel like it would be a positive outcome for US international interests. They've gained some NATO members but leaving morals aside and just going full cynic there's surely national benefit to be had for the USA to help blunt Russia's military even more, rather than push Ukraine towards a deal.
    There is no resolved outcome that includes Russia occupying bits of Ukraine. The war will go on and on and Europe and probably the USA will be intervening anyway. So we might as well intervene effectively. We can't stop Russia invading neighbouring countries. We can make it very costly for them if they do
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352
    Ratters said:

Arriving at work now, but a final thought on the smoking/vaping legislation - it is a combination of unnecessarily strict and completely ineffective:

- It focusses solely on the sale of tobacco in the UK. So it is as strict on vaping as it is cigarettes.
    - It does not make smoking illegal for anyone, so no one can stop a young person smoking or allow the police to question where they got them from. It's perfectly legal for them to buy cigarettes or vapes abroad and bring them into the UK, or be gifted them from someone older.
    - The above fact means it will simply encourage the small-time black market and reduce taxation from tobacco.

So even if you support its goals it's a pretty crap piece of legislation.

I do support its goals and would like to see smoking disappear altogether. But I genuinely don't quite understand how shopkeepers are supposed to police it as the age limit rises into the 20s and 30s. Will a 33-year-old be required to prove he's not a 32-year-old? I suppose it's possible that we'll all need to carry proof of age in due course and we'd get used to it as teenagers do now.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,655
    An outpouring of effluent in Geoffrey Cox's constituency.

The voters will be used to that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

On the contrary, Congress does have a duty to vote on the matter.
    How they vote is up to them, but aid has the support of the majority.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Aided by a culture of build nothing.

There was even a hilarious attempt to try and get the locals to oppose the covering of the Acton Storm Tanks - open water storage that smelt awful if it dried out. They have been covered over and form part of the Thames Super Sewer.

The peak moment was an "activist" at a meeting demanding more support - the locals were apparently betraying themselves, by allowing development.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Now now, you'll be being accused of being a Putinist again.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

FPT:

kle4 said:

My point is, it's illogical so what? Why not go for what works? I don't know if this policy does work but I can see a rationale for it and that's what I would assess.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Ratters said:

Ratters said:

Ratters said:

I'm sad to see the Lib Dems are supporting this ban:

https://www.libdemvoice.org/ed-davey-i-will-vote-for-smoking-ban-and-i-hope-the-bill-passes-75023.html

Looking at the comments below the line, there is some disappointment amongst party supporters.

For example:

"Please don’t characterise those of us who think Sunak’s proposals are foolish as “libertarians [with an] obsession with extreme civil rights” . it’s not helpful in getting people to “disagreeing well, ” when many of us have been card carrying liberals and liberal democrats for decades.

Please don’t think I think smoking is a sensible thing to do , that I think the health risks are minimal or the pain of the diseases over estimated – I did 4 years of post grad cancer research, and my mother died of cancer. But personal freedom is important, and smokers pay towards the costs of treating the diseases cigarettes cause. No one can genuinely say they don’t know smoking is a health risk. Life is not risk free.

Couple all that with the likelihood of the ban being essentially ineffective (diminishing respect for the law) and the cigarette trade likely to move to criminal gangs (no health warnings etc etc as well as supplying such gangs with copious income as with current banned drugs). These are respectable, rational and defendable liberal positions, and they are those we use to defend the Party’s support for decriminalisation of cannabis.

I am very pleased to hear the vote is not whipped. I hope as many of our MPs as possible do not support the Conservative and Labour positions, to make good liberal and antiauthoritarian points.""
    Yet they are pro-weed. Bizarre.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

They have a duty to vote on anything the Speaker brings to the floor and a procedure to remove the Speaker if they don't like what they are bringing or not bringing.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

They have a duty to vote on anything the Speaker brings to the floor and a procedure to remove the Speaker if they don't like what they are bringing or not bringing.
    It's of a piece with the rest of their behaviour - in both legislative chambers, shut down law making.

So the Supreme Court is the last and ultimate legislating body.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,013
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

We are going to have to get used to the USA becoming isolationist again. If we want to protect British and European freedoms we are going to have to do it ourselves.
  • Options
    edited April 17

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

We are going to have to get used to the USA becoming isolationist again. If we want to protect British and European freedoms we are going to have to do it ourselves.
    We have seen how little we, and the EU, value freedom in the last couple of days.

If we want to protect our current rulers and our broken system we will have to do it ourselves.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,720
    edited April 17
    BBC excelling themselves here:

UK inflation falls as meat and crumpet prices drop

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68833077

What percentage of CPI is dependent on the price of crumpets?
  • Options

23.67%

You can never get too much crumpet
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,460
    edited April 17
    Scott_xP said:

The Telegraph takes a different, but no more flattering, view: Most PMs’ memoirs are a multi-volume snoozefest. Liz Truss has published the first in history that could be accurately described as a “romp”.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/books/non-fiction/ten-years-to-save-the-west-review-liz-truss-memoir/ (£££)
  • Options
    On topic, sewage spills and water quality are hugely effective campaigning issues. There are local examples just about everywhere, and a palpable sense that it's got significantly worse. It's also a particularly strong issue for getting the soft Tories on board - not wanting shit in rivers isn't a culture wars issue.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    edited April 17
    I saw my first local election posters yesterday. Two have gone up in my road for the Green Party. The ward is on the south coast and there are a lot of keen sailors and wild swimmers here. People are furious about sewage spills and the Greens won a seat off the Conservatives at the last local Council election. They have three candidates this time so I'm interested as to how they do.

Other than that, I am reminded of the quote by Willie Whitelaw about people going around stirring up apathy.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    edited April 17
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

She wants to abolish the Supreme Court. Not just leave the European Court. Not just abolish the HRA. But leave the UK Supreme Court as well. I think the only remaining step is to abolish the Senate and send Tarkin in with that new toy he keeps banging on about. ☹️

https://x.com/TheSun/status/1779856171916029979#m

Well, it's not as though the Supreme Court is some ancient institution or something, but I'm not really clear why it would help her cause. Listen to people like Jolyon Maugham and they reckon the current Supreme Court is supine towards government and not standing up to it enough, and would judicial functions being exercised through the Lords again suddenly stop legal challenges or something?
    The fox batterer and his ilk are upset that the U.K. Supreme Court has not declared its supremacy over Parliament.

Which would obviate the need to win elections and things - just run the country from there. Bit like the US.

Because that is working so well.
    The Supreme Court is, in essence, a committee of the House of Lords* rebadged and moved to the other side of Parliament Square. Do those who advocate its abolition want to return to the status quo ante and, if not, what will be the final arbiter of legal questions of application across the UK?

(*The SC doesn’t hear Scots Law criminal appeals because the post-Union House of Lords, as a successor of the pre-1707 Scottish Parliament, found it had inherited no such jurisdiction from that body, but that it had done so in civil matters)
    It does still annoy me though that Blair with his fatal reverence for all things Yankeeside chose such an utterly naff name.

What was wrong with 'Judicial Committee of the Privy Council' (which I believe is one name it still legally uses when hearing cases from various Commonwealth realms)? Quintessentially British and no unfortunate parallels to the criminal organisation in DC.
    The JCPC, manned by SC judges as you say, but technically a separate body, has a few other residual jurisdictions but the main issue was devolution. You need a body without the appearance of bias (at least) to resolve devolution disputes. JCPC is, like the Cabinet, technically a subcommittee of the Privy Council, so there’s a conflict with the central government executive - or at least the appearance of one.
    The First Minister is also a Privy Councillor, so that doesn't wash.

We're back to 'fatal reverence for all things Yankeeside...'
    @ydoethur Huh? The point of the whole thing was institutional, rather than individual, separation of powers. I’ve already said SC justices sit on the JCPC. What’s the fact that the FM does as well have to do with the price of bread? A judge can recuse themselves to avoid apparent bias. An entire institution (court) can’t. Porter v Magill and all that.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,468
    Stocky said:

Ratters said:

Ratters said:

Ratters said:

I'm sad to see the Lib Dems are supporting this ban:

https://www.libdemvoice.org/ed-davey-i-will-vote-for-smoking-ban-and-i-hope-the-bill-passes-75023.html

Looking at the comments below the line, there is some disappointment amongst party supporters.

For example:

"Please don’t characterise those of us who think Sunak’s proposals are foolish as “libertarians [with an] obsession with extreme civil rights” . it’s not helpful in getting people to “disagreeing well, ” when many of us have been card carrying liberals and liberal democrats for decades.

Please don’t think I think smoking is a sensible thing to do , that I think the health risks are minimal or the pain of the diseases over estimated – I did 4 years of post grad cancer research, and my mother died of cancer. But personal freedom is important, and smokers pay towards the costs of treating the diseases cigarettes cause. No one can genuinely say they don’t know smoking is a health risk. Life is not risk free.

Couple all that with the likelihood of the ban being essentially ineffective (diminishing respect for the law) and the cigarette trade likely to move to criminal gangs (no health warnings etc etc as well as supplying such gangs with copious income as with current banned drugs). These are respectable, rational and defendable liberal positions, and they are those we use to defend the Party’s support for decriminalisation of cannabis.

I am very pleased to hear the vote is not whipped. I hope as many of our MPs as possible do not support the Conservative and Labour positions, to make good liberal and antiauthoritarian points.""
    I'm a little torn on this. My liberal heart opposes the ban, while my public health head wants to support it for the obvious benefits.

The complication for me is the impact on others from smokit. I'd happily oppose the ban and instead criminalise smoking inside where any under 18s are present or outside within x metres (depending on research) of under 18s - both those to protect children with parents who are smokers. But that's unenforceable in practice. On balance though, I think I'd probably have to vote against the ban, while continuing measures to discourage smoking.

I'd need to see the liberal case for a ban to change my mind. I'd love smoking to end, but I can't make a case for it that aligns with my principles.

Between this and the apparently rather knee jerk response to the Cass review*, my enthusiasm for voting LD rather than Lab at the next GE is currently fading. At present I don't see all that much point.

*the post on the LD website, though only apparently from the LGBT+ group, was vague and unsatisfactory and suggested a lack of evidence led thinking. There are valid criticisms to be made, particularly in the leap from patchy evidence to practice changes, but I wasn't impressed by that.
  • Options

Ratters said:

Arriving at work now, but a final thought on the smoking/vaping legislation - it is a combination of unnecessarily strict and completely ineffective:

- It focusses solely on the sale of tobacco in the UK. So it is as strict on vaping as it is cigarettes.
    - It does not make smoking illegal for anyone, so no one can stop a young person smoking or allow the police to question where they got them from. It's perfectly legal for them to buy cigarettes or vapes abroad and bring them into the UK, or be gifted them from someone older.
    - The above fact means it will simply encourage the small-time black market and reduce taxation from tobacco.

I do support its goals and would like to see smoking disappear altogether. But I genuinely don't quite understand how shopkeepers are supposed to police it as the age limit rises into the 20s and 30s. Will a 33-year-old be required to prove he's not a 32-year-old? I suppose it's possible that we'll all need to carry proof of age in due course and we'd get used to it as teenagers do now.
    The BBC report seems quite sympathetic.

I think Nudge can have value, as can softer edged enforcement. I think the concern about "what about telling the difference between an X year old and an X+1 year old" may be overdone in practice. It gives a time to adapt, as when stopping smoking is not easy to go from Zero to Hero in one jump.

I think a softer edged change - as a nudge which gradually goes into stronger enforcement over a period of years - may be one way of gradually ramping the reform in.

A 33 year old is tricky to tell from a 32 year old, but the practice in many shops for alcohol is to challenge "those who our staff think may be under 25" rather than trying to tell (say) a 17 year old from an 18 year old. There's no reason why the same approach cannot be used here - and before long it will be "no one under 30 can purchase tobacco", when teens will be clearly identifiable.

Do I think it will work? Not sure, and I'd like to hear of any alternative proposals.

@Ratters first point seems strange - how does regulation of sale of tobacco affect vaping, which aiui only carries the nicotine across, not the tobacco?
  • Options

Ratters said:

Yes, a shopkeeper will ask for proof of age. However, we won't all need to carry proof of age because most of us will never be buying cigarettes. Only those wanting to buy cigarettes will need proof of age, and their numbers will be small and decreasing.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,054
    Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Didn't you jut refer to Ukrainian 'Ultras' on the previous thread?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Foxy said:

Investment in water infrastructure seems to have increased after privatisation according to Ofwat:

https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/investment-in-the-water-industry/

Whether by enough I don't know.

Aside from better regulation perhaps we need to pay a bit more on our water bills - I've always thought that water was cheap compared to other utilities or the bottled variety.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183

Re the fags, every single person I know who smokes (including the ones I knew who have died of it) wishes they could give it up but can’t. Perhaps a gradually exerted external pressure is the only way to do it, even with the weird age differential thing, though I fear it’s too late for the likes of eg my brother.

I wonder how many of the noisy libertarians smoke themselves? The price of liberty is other hopelessly addicted people dying of lung cancer.

They get wound up about people looking at their LinkedIn profile I understand.
  • Options
    I am a liberal. I think people should be free. Sunak's smoking proposals are a restriction on people's freedoms to buy cigarettes. So, why support them?

Most people who smoke want to give up. That's because nicotine is astonishingly addictive. Most people smoking are doing something they would rather not be doing, because they are compelled by their addiction. That is a restriction on people's freedoms. We increase liberty by banning an addictive drug.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,365

kle4 said:

Taz said:

DavidL said:

Strong words.

ZELENSKY:

No.

And then Putin will do it again. That's what the appeasers (including some on here) miss - or pretend to miss. Putin has made his aims very clear, and it isn't just Ukraine. It's also in line with his current and previous actions.

The question for the appeasers id this: where is your red line? How much of other people's territory - and how many actual other people - are you willing to gift to a fascist empire?
    As long as Putin doesn't stop the daytime repeats of Bargain Hunt, why should they give a toss?

China will have noted the West's weakness and lack of resolve. Do people not realise that this failure will have consequences?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101

On topic, sewage spills and water quality are hugely effective campaigning issues. There are local examples just about everywhere, and a palpable sense that it's got significantly worse. It's also a particularly strong issue for getting the soft Tories on board - not wanting shit in rivers isn't a culture wars issue.

How much extra are they willing to pay either on their bills on through their taxes for this to happen.
  • Options

Crumpet - very "On the Buses".
  • Options

I am a liberal. I think people should be free. Sunak's smoking proposals are a restriction on people's freedoms to buy cigarettes. So, why support them?

Most people who smoke want to give up. That's because nicotine is astonishingly addictive. Most people smoking are doing something they would rather not be doing, because they are compelled by their addiction. That is a restriction on people's freedoms. We increase liberty by banning an addictive drug.

Let's ban work then and increase people's liberty !!!!
  • Options
    MattW said:

Ratters said:

The BBC report seems quite sympathetic.

I think Nudge can have value, as can softer edged enforcement. I think the concern about "what about telling the difference between an X year old and an X+1 year old" may be overdone in practice. It gives a time to adapt, as when stopping smoking is not easy to go from Zero to Hero in one jump.

I think a softer edged change - as a nudge which gradually goes into stronger enforcement over a period of years - may be one way of gradually ramping the reform in.

A 33 year old is tricky to tell from a 32 year old, but the practice in many shops for alcohol is to challenge "those who our staff think may be under 25" rather than trying to tell (say) a 17 year old from an 18 year old. There's no reason why the same approach cannot be used here - and before long it will be "no one under 30 can purchase tobacco", when teens will be clearly identifiable.

Do I think it will work? Not sure, and I'd like to hear of any alternative proposals.

@Ratters first point seems strange - how does regulation of sale of tobacco affect vaping, which aiui only carries the nicotine across, not the tobacco?
    Mr Sunak is overegging the "unique contribution to public health" claims. There are plenty of other things that need to be done - UK law for example pretty uniquely in Europe permits seriously alcohol impaired driving, and we have had strong evidence of that for many years - yet Sunak and our last 10 or 15 roads ministers have ignored that major public health issue. The same goes for the behaviour of young male drivers, who are a far greater risk to the public than others, including young female drivers.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

You're confusing rules with duty now.
  • Options

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

I did, we used to have a few here. Indeed some were outlining the exact terms for this conflict to end and nothing else would be acceptable. We do not have them here anymore. They seem to have found something else to spend time on.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264

There was a Torygraph op-ed a few days ago which said it is a Briton's Patriotic Duty to drive a petrol car and have a gas boiler. So the next step obviously is to take a crap on the beach to take the pressure off Thames Water.

Crap for Britain! Vote Conservative.
  • Options
    On the tobacco ban with age I think I'd rather think of other ways of discouraging smoking. For example, you could restrict the sale of tobacco to pharmacies, and remove the sale of tobacco from supermarkets, corner shops, etc.
  • Options
    a
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

I did, we used to have a few here. Indeed some were outlining the exact terms for this conflict to end and nothing else would be acceptable. We do not have them here anymore. They seem to have found something else to spend time on.
    I am still demanding Vladivostok.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Dura_Ace said:

Oh do fuck off.

Why be snide about other posters just because they disagree with you?

Perhaps those of us supportive of Ukraine have tired of your snide remarks, and those of others willing to abandon a democracy to conquest by a dictatorship?

I don't need to justify my support of Ukraine or fulfil a quota of parts about the subject to satisfy you that my resolve hasn't wavered. Fuck off and keep fucking off.
This discussion has been closed.