Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The woman who lost to a lettuce wants to comeback as Tory leader – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

eek said:

Taz said:

Former Britishvolt site in Northumberland likely to become a data centre creating thousands of jobs.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/former-britishvolt-site-house-data-28998765

Data centers do not create thousands of jobs - once built it’s now got to the point that you don’t need to touch them until you deprecate the whole Centre and replace everything 5 years later
    Nonetheless, great spin from Taz.
    Also: *where* are the jobs being quoted? If they are including the production of the grey boxes full of transistors and ICs then they could be made in Korea for all one knows. Won't do anything for the sweetie shop on the corner from the main road to the industrial estate.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,996

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Afternoon everyone. When this happened a week ago, along came two polls to mess it up but this time I think it will stand:

As of today 5 consecutive opinion polls have been published with Labour leads of 20%+ which is the first time this sequence has occurred since last September. The steady trend away from the Conservatives continues. For Rishi ‘things can only get worser’

This is silly. There's no huge change in the lead, and as soon as one of the pollsters who report a smaller lead than the other firms releases a new poll then your pattern will be broken.

If Opinium, or Savanta, release a poll with a >20% lead then that would be a change and would indicate a new pattern.
    I made no great claims about it. I merely noted that it’s the first time since last September that 5 consecutive polls have given Labour a 20%+ lead.

So I don’t think it is “silly”. Sometimes when the pattern begins to form it takes a while for everyone to see it. Put more empirically, the Conservatives dropped another 2% in March. https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/prediction_main.html
    I would just comment that the polls seem remarkably steady with little overall change and Labour about 20% ahead

I see no reason for them to change before the election is called in the autumn
    Hi Big G.

Based on recent polling, the continuing slide in their support, and the weakness of Sunak I think this Conservative slide is quite possibly going to continue.
    There will be a floor of conservative support and the key, as it always has been, is the effect Reform will have on that support in a GE
    I mean, Given that you would imagine that Sunak and his wife will vote for themselves, the floor is 2 votes nationally. At which point I’ll take the charge of being silly.

More sensibly, what if we are wrong about this and there is no floor to their slide this side of the election?

It did happen in Canada.

Make that 4 votes as my wife and I would vote for Sunak
    Why?
    Why not
    Okay, but why? You spend much of your time on here saying we need a change of government. Yet you plan to vote for the government.

Odd.
    Not really

I simply do not trust Starmer not to be taken left once in power, the Lib Dems are invisible, I do not support Plaid, so conservative is my natural home whilst they are led by Sunak

If Braverman, Johnson or Truss took over I would be politically homeless and would have to abstain

It is of no consequence anyway for GE24, as Labour will trounce the conservative in our constituency
    Why do you assume Starmer will be taken left - he will have such a majority that his opposition will be within the Labour party and it will be coming from whatever direction he doesn't personally taks...
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

GIN1138 said:

Heathener said:

GIN1138 said:

A loopy Liz comeback as LOTO really would take the Tories into the wilderness for a decade...

She's be William Hague and IDS combined :D

I think it’s almost a given that they will be in the political wilderness for a decade. I’m increasingly thinking it will be 20 years before anyone in this country dares trust them again with the keys to No. 10.

People will look back on these as the Horror Years. Short of WWIII, which may yet happen, almost everything that could go wrong, did.
    I’m still not entirely convinced that “The Conservative and Unionist Party” brand is going to survive. When a right wing party takes office again I could very much see it being under a different badge.
    Nah, they're like cockroaches. They'll survive and come back. They always do.

Possibly.

Though I’ve not seen a party destroy itself quite so convincingly as the Tories in the last 4 years.

I do think the brand is shot, and it’ll take more than Cameroony trees and huskies and mood music to alter that now.

I think many thought that about Labour when Corbyn was "leader". All forgotten now of course. Well, until they get into power then many will remember that though the Tories have been shit recently, Labour always manages to outperform in general in it's incredible inability to run the mythological whelk stall.
    True, but Labour had an advantage in that there will always be a bedrock of die hard support on the left that identifies with the “brand” and “movement” to keep the Labour Party alive in some guise or other, even if in disagreement with the leadership or policies.

Just anecdotally, I admit, I think there’s a lot of people who would have identified as Tory who are politically homeless now and will take a lot of convincing to vote for them again. Entirely possible they might, in time and with new leadership, but the way western politics is going we are seeing a realignment on the right. And there are a lot of voters in the Red Wall etc who may be completely turned off by the Tory brand now but who could easily drift towards a new right wing alliance.
    I used to be a Conservative activist of the very centrist variety. I stopped voting Tory when TMay started to pretend to be a hard Brexiter. I was even more repulsed by the joint comedy act of Johnson and Truss, both of whom should never have been allowed to get anywhere near high office. I will probably vote Tory at the next election because I fear the damage that Labour with a big majority will do.

As for the future, a lot will depend on how much of a pasting the Tories get. If the huge Labour majority fails to materialise and Mordaunt becomes leader (assuming she does not lose her seat) then she might reverse things. She would look pretty good to the public in contrast to boring old SKS if things get tough for him.

A week is a long time....etc.
    One of the problems the Conservatives seem set to have is that right-of-centre Brits are divided into two groups. One group thinks 2010-15 was OK really, and everything since has been a downward slope followed by utter collapse. The other group hated the coalition years, didn't think much of TMexPM, and would like a repeat of the good bits of 2019-24, only this time with feeling. (I hope I'm being fair there- if someone wants to reframe the characterisation from the other side, be my guest.)

Unless someone can get both those groups back in the same tent, it's going to be hard to assemble an election-winning coalition. And right now, they don't understand each other and can't stand each other.
    More likely than them coming together is we move even further away from left-right economic splits and you get a left-right authoritian/liberal split instead. Farage will be the leader of the right, and will get back to 30% fairly easily but reliant on cock ups from a Labour government to progress any further than that.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,996

GIN1138 said:

Heathener said:

GIN1138 said:

A loopy Liz comeback as LOTO really would take the Tories into the wilderness for a decade...

I think it’s almost a given that they will be in the political wilderness for a decade. I’m increasingly thinking it will be 20 years before anyone in this country dares trust them again with the keys to No. 10.

People will look back on these as the Horror Years. Short of WWIII, which may yet happen, almost everything that could go wrong, did.
    I’m still not entirely convinced that “The Conservative and Unionist Party” brand is going to survive. When a right wing party takes office again I could very much see it being under a different badge.

Possibly.

Though I’ve not seen a party destroy itself quite so convincingly as the Tories in the last 4 years.

I do think the brand is shot, and it’ll take more than Cameroony trees and huskies and mood music to alter that now.

I think many thought that about Labour when Corbyn was "leader". All forgotten now of course. Well, until they get into power then many will remember that though the Tories have been shit recently, Labour always manages to outperform in general in it's incredible inability to run the mythological whelk stall.
    True, but Labour had an advantage in that there will always be a bedrock of die hard support on the left that identifies with the “brand” and “movement” to keep the Labour Party alive in some guise or other, even if in disagreement with the leadership or policies.

Just anecdotally, I admit, I think there’s a lot of people who would have identified as Tory who are politically homeless now and will take a lot of convincing to vote for them again. Entirely possible they might, in time and with new leadership, but the way western politics is going we are seeing a realignment on the right. And there are a lot of voters in the Red Wall etc who may be completely turned off by the Tory brand now but who could easily drift towards a new right wing alliance.
    I used to be a Conservative activist of the very centrist variety. I stopped voting Tory when TMay started to pretend to be a hard Brexiter. I was even more repulsed by the joint comedy act of Johnson and Truss, both of whom should never have been allowed to get anywhere near high office. I will probably vote Tory at the next election because I fear the damage that Labour with a big majority will do.

As for the future, a lot will depend on how much of a pasting the Tories get. If the huge Labour majority fails to materialise and Mordaunt becomes leader (assuming she does not lose her seat) then she might reverse things. She would look pretty good to the public in contrast to boring old SKS if things get tough for him.

A week is a long time....etc.
    One of the problems the Conservatives seem set to have is that right-of-centre Brits are divided into two groups. One group thinks 2010-15 was OK really, and everything since has been a downward slope followed by utter collapse. The other group hated the coalition years, didn't think much of TMexPM, and would like a repeat of the good bits of 2019-24, only this time with feeling. (I hope I'm being fair there- if someone wants to reframe the characterisation from the other side, be my guest.)

Unless someone can get both those groups back in the same tent, it's going to be hard to assemble an election-winning coalition. And right now, they don't understand each other and can't stand each other.
    I'm at a loss as to how anyone thinks 2010-15 or 2019-24 were good periods. both have been periods of destruction of various parts of this country...

Heck the last decent period of Government was 1997 to 2008 where projects such as Sure Start ensured all children had a decent start. A recent report showed how badly that's been lost..
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,235

GIN1138 said:

Heathener said:

GIN1138 said:

Much like the Labour Party, I guess.
    The Labour Party have come close to two existential threats in my lifetime. The SDP (which turned into a false dawn) and Corbyn. The long-Corbyn threat was very real. Had Johnson not utterly soiled himself after the Hartlepool by election we could be looking at another landslide.

The cards were suggesting a mad- bastard takeover by the militant left as Starmer teetered on the brink.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,880

GIN1138 said:

Heathener said:

GIN1138 said:

The Labour Party have come close to two existential threats in my lifetime. The SDP (which turned into a false dawn) and Corbyn. The long-Corbyn threat was very real. Had Johnson not utterly soiled himself after the Hartlepool by election we could be looking at another landslide.

The cards were suggesting a mad- bastard takeover by the militant left as Starmer teetered on the brink.
    Which Policies of the Corbyn era were "militant left"?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,251
    Leon said:

https://x.com/loopemma/status/1779895498188410924

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Israel Defense Minister Yoav Gallant to Pentagon: No choice but to retaliate against Iran

That's the logic I worked through this morning, They have to attack Iran to deter further Iranian assaults

Fucking perilous moment. Probably happen tonight? Let's hope it is just that "surgical" strike and not some disastrous carpet bombing by mistake
    It would be to help Netanyahu not deter Iran.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Heathener said:

GIN1138 said:

Brexit for one. Despite his Remain claim.

My point was when Starmer fell, your lot would have installed Long Bailey or Burgon. There are even madder ones out there that I have successfully forgotten. Oh no, I've just remembered one. Williamson.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Israel Defense Minister Yoav Gallant to Pentagon: No choice but to retaliate against Iran

That's the logic I worked through this morning, They have to attack Iran to deter further Iranian assaults

Fucking perilous moment. Probably happen tonight? Let's hope it is just that "surgical" strike and not some disastrous carpet bombing by mistake
    I don't think that's fair. If there is electoral advantage to doing so, it's because the Israeli electorate recognise the threat of Iran.
    I was going to contrast the democratically constrained Netanyahu with the unanswerable leaders of Iran, but as we are led to understand that much of the Iranian population would be quite happy to wipe every Jew from the face of the earth I'm not sure it makes much difference in this case.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Foreign policy historians will judge the Biden Doctrine as having been quite extraordinary, in somehow having completely forgotten the hard fought lessons of the value of deterrence.

I read some here praising Cameron this morning but I consider his comments an embarrassment. Total dispensation of deterrence in favour of adopting a supposedly zero risk approach to escalation. Which of course over time ends up achieving the exact opposite.

Yes it’s a perilous moment. Because deterrence becomes more expensive (in all senses of the word) the later it’s left. I never dreamed I’d say it 20 years ago but John Bolton has been by far the most sensible commentator on this crisis.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 485

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Afternoon everyone. When this happened a week ago, along came two polls to mess it up but this time I think it will stand:

As of today 5 consecutive opinion polls have been published with Labour leads of 20%+ which is the first time this sequence has occurred since last September. The steady trend away from the Conservatives continues. For Rishi ‘things can only get worser’

This is silly. There's no huge change in the lead, and as soon as one of the pollsters who report a smaller lead than the other firms releases a new poll then your pattern will be broken.

If Opinium, or Savanta, release a poll with a >20% lead then that would be a change and would indicate a new pattern.
    I made no great claims about it. I merely noted that it’s the first time since last September that 5 consecutive polls have given Labour a 20%+ lead.

So I don’t think it is “silly”. Sometimes when the pattern begins to form it takes a while for everyone to see it. Put more empirically, the Conservatives dropped another 2% in March. https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/prediction_main.html
    I would just comment that the polls seem remarkably steady with little overall change and Labour about 20% ahead

Hi Big G.

Based on recent polling, the continuing slide in their support, and the weakness of Sunak I think this Conservative slide is quite possibly going to continue.
    There will be a floor of conservative support and the key, as it always has been, is the effect Reform will have on that support in a GE
    I mean, Given that you would imagine that Sunak and his wife will vote for themselves, the floor is 2 votes nationally. At which point I’ll take the charge of being silly.

More sensibly, what if we are wrong about this and there is no floor to their slide this side of the election?

It did happen in Canada.

Why?
    Why not
    Okay, but why? You spend much of your time on here saying we need a change of government. Yet you plan to vote for the government.

Odd.
    Not really

I simply do not trust Starmer not to be taken left once in power, the Lib Dems are invisible, I do not support Plaid, so conservative is my natural home whilst they are led by Sunak

If Braverman, Johnson or Truss took over I would be politically homeless and would have to abstain

It is of no consequence anyway for GE24, as Labour will trounce the conservative in our constituency
    And that is why the Conservatives will not do as badly as the polls suggest. There is always a surprisingly large group of people who, however much they loathe what it does in practice, and whatever they might tell pollsters, can never bring themselves to do anything but vote Conservative.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330
    eek said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    Is Rishi Sunak going long on general election, as expected?

Tories have just opened accreditation for party conference in Birmingham for Sept 29 -Oct 2

It could easily be scrapped if Tories decide to go early, but it tallies with suggestions he wants November election

Rough timetable:

Early Sept: Autumn Statement
    Sept 29: Tory conference
    Nov 14: General election?

Would also allow for two potential interest rate cuts ahead of voters going to polls...

I posted that earlier
    But only 1 pay slip post an NI cut on October 6th (people would see it at the end of October).
    To be honest I do no think it showing in a pay slip days before an election is going to influence any voters

A lot more will be needed to change the 'change' election narrative
  • Options
    edited April 15
    eek said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Hi Big G.

It did happen in Canada.

Why?
    Why not

Odd.
    Not really

Why do you assume Starmer will be taken left - he will have such a majority that his opposition will be within the Labour party and it will be coming from whatever direction he doesn't personally taks...
    Angela Rayner and the unions proposals are taking labour left and she has a big influence on policy
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,359

GIN1138 said:

Heathener said:

GIN1138 said:

My point was when Starmer fell, your lot would have installed Long Bailey or Burgon. There are even madder ones out there that I have successfully forgotten. Oh no, I've just remembered one. Williamson.
    If Starmer had gone I think though would have been fairly unlikely (though less impossible than now). It would've been Nandy or Rayner. The median Labour member went off Corbynism when it got hammered at the ballot box, while still holding reservations about the party's right.

So it would most likely have been someone from the soft left who knew how to tickle members' bellies while also holding some plausibility in talking to the country. I'm not sure RLB would've run again anyway, and Burgon is a laughing stock even among his own faction of the party.

Now, if they'd have lost a General Election after that, then all bets would be off.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,330
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

I don't think that's fair. If there is electoral advantage to doing so, it's because the Israeli electorate recognise the threat of Iran.
    I was going to contrast the democratically constrained Netanyahu with the unanswerable leaders of Iran, but as we are led to understand that much of the Iranian population would be quite happy to wipe every Jew from the face of the earth I'm not sure it makes much difference in this case.
    Yes, you're right and @kinabalu is wrong

I greatly dislike Netanyahu and think he is disastrous for Israel, but on this narrow point the Israelis probably don't have much choice. They can't allow a big nasty country like Iran, on the threshold of nukes, to lob 300 missiles at them without any comeback, especially when they know Iran wants Israel destroyed. It means Iran could do more missile attacks every week, making life in Israel intolerable, destroying the economy, making everyone emigrate. Israel has to deter Tehran NOW

It's sod all to do with Bibi, this time

However the Israelis have to get it exactly right. Enough to give Tehran a telling slap, but not so much that it means Iran must strike back, because that is a certain route to a terrible war. I am not sure they can be that exact. Which is why this is so perilous
  • Options
    Brace!

"Israel Says Readying 'Imminent' Attack On Iran As Airlines Cancel Flights To Region"

https://x.com/zerohedge/status/1779925202408808648
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    edited April 15

Victoria Atkins tearing into the extreme trans sex change for kids lobby in Commons at moment.

Indeed. You can see the way this is going. It's massive scandal and a matter of time until individuals sue the NHS over the treatment given the first place (hence a double whammy for taxpayers).

Joanna Cherry talking a lot of sense too ('NHS has be ideologically captured and it must never happen again').
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Victoria Atkins tearing into the extreme trans sex change for kids lobby in Commons at moment.

Indeed. You can see the way this is going. It's massive scandal and a matter of time until the NHS is sued over the treatment it gave in the first place (a double whammy for taxpayers).

Joanna Cherry talking a lot of sense too ('NHS has be ideologically captured and it must never happen again').
    The Cass report is a game changer and I expect many parents will be taking on the NHS and education establishments over the treatment of their children without their consent
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,448
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Foreign policy historians will judge the Biden Doctrine as having been quite extraordinary, in somehow having completely forgotten the hard fought lessons of the value of deterrence.

I read some here praising Cameron this morning but I consider his comments an embarrassment. Total dispensation of deterrence in favour of adopting a supposedly zero risk approach to escalation. Which of course over time ends up achieving the exact opposite.

Yes it’s a perilous moment. Because deterrence becomes more expensive (in all senses of the word) the later it’s left. I never dreamed I’d say it 20 years ago but John Bolton has been by far the most sensible commentator on this crisis.
    I'd say the problem with this argument is if the Iranians are also practicing 'deterrence'. Israel blew up their embassy so to deter this happening again they launched missiles & drones.

If both parties are following this doctrine why does escalating deterrence not just lead to war?

For me Bolton is best ignored. The man has been wanting and advocating for a war with Iran for 30+ years.
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Leon said:

Brace!

"Israel Says Readying 'Imminent' Attack On Iran As Airlines Cancel Flights To Region"

Without trying to sound like Leon, Bibi is going to take out this nuclear installation isn't he? Double bubble for him, he reduces the threat of an Iranian nuclear attack and kills thousands of Arabs too. Which according to Max Hastings's book on Bibi's brother, is something that floats his boat.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,655
    MJW said:

GIN1138 said:

Heathener said:

GIN1138 said:

If Starmer had gone I think though would have been fairly unlikely (though less impossible than now). It would've been Nandy or Rayner. The median Labour member went off Corbynism when it got hammered at the ballot box, while still holding reservations about the party's right.

So it would most likely have been someone from the soft left who knew how to tickle members' bellies while also holding some plausibility in talking to the country. I'm not sure RLB would've run again anyway, and Burgon is a laughing stock even among his own faction of the party.

Now, if they'd have lost a General Election after that, then all bets would be off.
    Yes, the soft left is where Labour is going next after Starmer and Reeves. 2 or 3 years in they'll start wanting a bigger say. Not some internal factional coup like the left left might attempt, but just a ramp up in internal pressure and a bit of briefing. The likes of Nandy, Miliband, Burnham.

I don't fear the soft left. They may come up with some policies that don't work or are inefficient but some of what they have to offer may very well be what this country needs.
  • Options

Leon said:

Brace!

Without trying to sound like Leon, Bibi is going to take out this nuclear installation isn't he? Double bubble for him, he reduces the threat of an Iranian nuclear attack and kills thousands of Arabs too. Which according to Max Hastings's book on Bibi's brother, is something that floats his boat.
    They might attack the nuclear facilities, but they are a very difficult target. I am also sure they will TRY and minimise casualties, that does not mean they will succeed

I reckon the chances of an all out Israel-Iran war are now greater than 50%
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    eek said:

Taz said:

eek said:

Taz said:

Former Britishvolt site in Northumberland likely to become a data centre creating thousands of jobs.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/former-britishvolt-site-house-data-28998765

Data centers do not create thousands of jobs - once built it’s now got to the point that you don’t need to touch them until you deprecate the whole Centre and replace everything 5 years later
    My bad. Misquoted the article. Says hundreds.

Still, nice to see something potentially happening there.
    For which read 200-300 jobs max - and its manual replace this machine with this replacement machine, connect a few cables and press a button work.

Which will be above minimum wage but won’t be massively paid

I will be curious to see if anyone takes it - the previous attempts up north have all failed for connectivity reasons, the cost is in the hardware so you may as well pay more in rents/ wages as in the scheme of things that’s inconsequential
    Owned by U.S. venture cap.
    It does at least illustrate the benefit of access to a large energy supply with potential rapidly to expand.
    That's unusual in Europe at the moment.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731

Stocky said:

Indeed. You can see the way this is going. It's massive scandal and a matter of time until the NHS is sued over the treatment it gave in the first place (a double whammy for taxpayers).

The Cass report is a game changer and I expect many parents will be taking on the NHS and education establishments over the treatment of their children without their consent
    How would you feel as a parent (or grandparent) about charities (with donations inflated by government Gift Aid) who send out breast-binders to children without the parents' knowledge?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/sep/30/transgender-charity-mermaids-investigated-breast-binders-given-to-children
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,710

Stocky said:

Have you read the actual report? That's not what Cass said at all.

It is a far more interesting and nuanced report than is being suggested by the usual suspects.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013

"Trump appeared to be asleep. His head would fall down… He didn’t pay attention to a note his lawyer passed him. His jaw kept falling on his chest and his mouth kept going slack".

The chances of a Trump health issue are underappreciated.
  • Options
    Maybe the only way all-out Israeli-Iranian war can be stopped is if America threatens Iran with total nuclear annihilation unless they back down. America has the First Strike capability to do that. But jesus what a fucking moment

And still Ukraine burns. Fun times
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,708
    edited April 15
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

I greatly dislike Netanyahu and think he is disastrous for Israel, but on this narrow point the Israelis probably don't have much choice. They can't allow a big nasty country like Iran, on the threshold of nukes, to lob 300 missiles at them without any comeback, especially when they know Iran wants Israel destroyed. It means Iran could do more missile attacks every week, making life in Israel intolerable, destroying the economy, making everyone emigrate. Israel has to deter Tehran NOW

However the Israelis have to get it exactly right. Enough to give Tehran a telling slap, but not so much that it means Iran must strike back, because that is a certain route to a terrible war. I am not sure they can be that exact. Which is why this is so perilous
    But surely the way this works is that however measured the retaliation, the other side will deem it necessary to strike back?

As if to prove my point, it would be hard to conceive a less effective retaliation than the one the Iranians launched on Saturday, yet the Israelis feel they must retaliate back.
  • Options

Leon said:

Brace!

Why would that kill thousands of Arabs?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

I'd say the problem with this argument is if the Iranians are also practicing 'deterrence'. Israel blew up their embassy so to deter this happening again they launched missiles & drones.

If both parties are following this doctrine why does escalating deterrence not just lead to war?

For me Bolton is best ignored. The man has been wanting and advocating for a war with Iran for 30+ years.
    Since Biden assumed power, Iran has used its proxies to effectively close the Suez, has armed Russia’s genocide, has almost certainly sponsored a brutal and indiscriminate attack on civilians, moves closer to acquiring the Bomb in defiance on non proliferation obligations and now broken the sovereignty of its immediate neighbours’ airspace to launch hundreds of armaments at Israel. Not to mention it’s shenanigans impounding commercial ships.

It really shouldn’t be that difficult to see there’s a problem here and that Biden’s Non Escalation doctrine has been an abject failure.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Brace!

They might attack the nuclear facilities, but they are a very difficult target. I am also sure they will TRY and minimise casualties, that does not mean they will succeed

If escalation keeps Bibi out of jail, it's a punt he will take.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited April 15

Amount of unfunded tax cuts in Truss's minibudget: £45bn

Amount that the Treasury has spent so far paying the Bank of England's losses on its disastrous bond selloff: £50bn, could be further £40bn spent this year.

Amount of PBers furiously wanking themselves off about how disastrously awful Truss was and what personality disorders she must have not to realise it and go into permanent hiding: 534

Amount of PBers questioning the Bank's actions and the Treasury's bizarre policy of indemnifying them: 3

I have worked in banking/financial services for over a decade, during the Liz Truss premiership it is the closest we came to activating Project Dynamo which was anticipating the full scale disaster for the UK financially. The Bank of England intervention stopped disaster, we were perilously close to the pension funds collapsing.

Even Covid-19 didn't trigger that.

If Liz Truss was so awesome why did she panic, sack her Chancellor, and reversed her policies?
  • Options

"Trump appeared to be asleep. His head would fall down… He didn’t pay attention to a note his lawyer passed him. His jaw kept falling on his chest and his mouth kept going slack".

Obstructive Sleep Anpeoa?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,315
    Dublin being asked to pay for upgrades to another road in Northern Ireland. First the A5, now the A1.

Will the money come from the foreign aid budget?
  • Options

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

But surely the way this works is that however measured the retaliation, the other side will deem it necessary to strike back?

As if to prove my point, it would be hard to conceive a less effective retaliation than the one the Iranians launched on Saturday, yet the Israelis feel they must retaliate back.
    That's why I think an all-out war is now more likely than not, this is the logic of war once it gets going. The guns of August and all that
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'd appreciate Trump having a serious health issue tbh - it would make the world a slightly safer place.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714

Dublin being asked to pay for upgrades to another road in Northern Ireland. First the A5, now the A1.

Will the money come from the foreign aid budget?

Asked by whom?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,862
    Apparently according to ITV News Israel will retaliate but it will be calibrated .

It would be crazy for Israel to fracture the alliance that defended it two days ago .
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

That's why I think an all-out war is now more likely than not, this is the logic of war once it gets going. The guns of August and all that
    Yes, you may be right.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Brace!

Because a uranium enrichment facility like Natanz under attack is rather dangerous. Those living nearby are already moving out.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I'd appreciate Trump having a serious health issue tbh - it would make the world a slightly safer place.
    Surely it depends on the health issue?, it could just make him more dangerous.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Since Biden assumed power, Iran has used its proxies to effectively close the Suez, has armed Russia’s genocide, has almost certainly sponsored a brutal and indiscriminate attack on civilians, moves closer to acquiring the Bomb in defiance on non proliferation obligations and now broken the sovereignty of its immediate neighbours’ airspace to launch hundreds of armaments at Israel. Not to mention it’s shenanigans impounding commercial ships.

It really shouldn’t be that difficult to see there’s a problem here and that Biden’s Non Escalation doctrine has been an abject failure.
    I've not denied that Iran has been up to no good. Just curious what happens if both Iran and Israel are using the deterrence doctrine, why won't this lead to a hot war?
  • Options

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Brace!

Because a uranium enrichment facility like Natanz under attack is rather dangerous. Those living nearby are already moving out.
    Iranians are not Arabs.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Yes, you may be right.
    I really really really hope I am wrong and this is worse than what3words
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Just slightly?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Yes, you may be right.
    You were massively wrong in the autumn of 2022 when you were convinced Putin was going to use nukes ASAP.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

There would be carnivals and mass celebrations in most of the world if to be blunt he just dropped dead .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Brace!

I think that they are less because the US has drawn lines in the sand about the extent to which they will help Israel. They have made it clear that they will not support offensive action and the risk from Israel's point of view is that the guarantee to protect defensive action will be undermined too. The Israelis performed well but I think that the reason that the defence worked incredibly well was because it was hand coordinated by the US with most of the drones shot down long before they got anywhere near Israeli airspace, often by US planes (and the odd British plane too).

The US cannot stop Israel entirely but they do hold the whip hand. And they, Bolton apart, do not want a war.

The risk is not negligible, let alone non existent, but I think that the US will keep this within bounds.
  • Options
    Actually this is just semantics, anyway. Given that Iran has already attacked Israel twice, once via Hamas (killing 1000) and now via a huge rain of direct missiles, and given that Israel is now - it seems - about to attack Iran directly, then we are probably already in an Israeli-Iranian war. What else do they have to do?
  • Options
    During lunch, Trump again toed the line of his gag order, posting a video of his ally Laura Loomer that includes her making references to Justice Merchan's wife and Michael Cohen.

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1779930011635433529
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Brace!

Iranians are not Arabs.
    OK, I doubt he likes Persians either.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

How would you feel as a parent (or grandparent) about charities (with donations inflated by government Gift Aid) who send out breast-binders to children without the parents' knowledge?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/sep/30/transgender-charity-mermaids-investigated-breast-binders-given-to-children
    I would be incandescent as would my children who are parents themselves
  • Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

The bomb thing started under Trump, but otherwise that's pretty much exactly right.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

It's totally fair. Israel doing another strike against Iran in response to the one against them which was in response to theirs against the Iranian consulate in Syria would have nothing to do with deterrence. It would be an escalation calculated to shore up the position of Netanyahu inside Israel.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

I would be incandescent as would my children who are parents themselves
    Illuminating!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Brace!

Iranians are not Arabs.
    That was where I was confused! I thought perhaps the nuclear plant was somewhere surprising. I see the point now.
  • Options
    Surprised the posters that go on about Sleepy Joe haven't posted this.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1779931035926487142/photo/1
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345

Dopey Donald!
  • Options
    edited April 15

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Yes, you may be right.
    You were massively wrong in the autumn of 2022 when you were convinced Putin was going to use nukes ASAP.

No. I feared it was highly possible and as we now know from pentagon leaks and White House insiders - the Americans thought exactly the same

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    rcs1000 said:

Correlates very strongly with a jail term one might suspect....one that would make it inhumane for him to go to an actual prison and instead be under an Escobar style house arrest.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Yes, you may be right.

No. I feared it was highly possible and as we now know from pentagon leaks and White House insiders - the Americans thought exactly the same
    Go watch Threads again, World War III starts with a conflict in Iran.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Yes, you may be right.

Biden should make me his National Security Adviser, I would have given him better advice.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,345
    Leon said:

Actually this is just semantics, anyway. Given that Iran has already attacked Israel twice, once via Hamas (killing 1000) and now via a huge rain of direct missiles, and given that Israel is now - it seems - about to attack Iran directly, then we are probably already in an Israeli-Iranian war. What else do they have to do?

"Now you're talking semantics. What if I told you insane was working a 50-hour week for 50 years, at the end of which they tell you to piss off. Ending up in some retirement village, hoping to die rather than suffering the indignity of trying to make it to the toilet on time. Wouldn't you consider that to be insane?"
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,205

I refer to Biden as sleepy Joe, after all it’s a fair critique. I’d have him over Trump as President in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Hi Big G.

It did happen in Canada.

Why?
    Why not
    It'll only encourage them.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544

He's not sleeping. He's just heard about Truss's comeback.
  • Options
    There’s gotta be a decent chance the Paris Olympics get cancelled
  • Options
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

The kind of health issue I have in mind would make him unable to run for President.
  • Options
    Leon said:

They might change the location of the Opening Ceremony because of security concerns but I don’t see them being cancelled .
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Yes, you may be right.

Biden should make me his National Security Adviser, I would have given him better advice.
    What would your advice have been? To hire David Cameron as Secretary of State?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Foxy said:

Obstructive Sleep Anpeoa?
    One of my best pals lost his driving licence with that. He needs to wear a mask that gives him an oxygen enriched airflow at night. He's not exactly a fan of this but needs must. Bit younger than Trump too.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Leon said:

They might change the location of the Opening Ceremony because of security concerns but I don’t see them being cancelled .
    If there are two big wars raging they will be cancelled
  • Options
    edited April 15
    I see Trump Media is down another 18% today.
    Oh dear. How sad. Never mind.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    Leon said:

Israel/Palestine protests?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Yes, you may be right.

What would your advice have been? To hire David Cameron as Secretary of State?
    No.

I would have advised him to nuke France, which is the same reason Lord Cameron didn’t appoint me his SPAD because my solution to every foreign policy crisis would have been to suggest we invaded/nuked France.
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

I love the Olympics . It’s a festival of summer sport with Wimbledon and the Euros aswell .

Can we save WW3 for when they’ve all finished !
  • Options
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

It wouldn't mean Iran could or would do missile attacks every week. This one was a response to the Consulate and was calibrated to be the end of it. To respond again would be an escalation done principally for domestic reasons.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,266
    Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov
    ·
    3h
    "When I meet people, quite often canvassing, or out on the street, people say 'you did the right thing'", claims Liz Truss...

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1779875754882273355
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,046
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Israel/Palestine protests?
    Macron is apparently open to altering, or even moving, the opening ceremony. Which would be a shame, as it sounds like it'll be incredibly spectacular or incredibly naff. Or even both. At least they're trying something different (a flotilla down the Seine, with each team in a different boat).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2024/apr/15/paris-olympics-opening-ceremony-could-move-if-threat-detected-says-macron
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

It's totally fair. Israel doing another strike against Iran in response to the one against them which was in response to theirs against the Iranian consulate in Syria would have nothing to do with deterrence. It would be an escalation calculated to shore up the position of Netanyahu inside Israel.
    To be clear, I don't want Israel to strike back. I want everyone to calm down and back off. But I think it would take heroic restraint for Israel to do so, and I don't see strategically why it would. And just because such a move might be electorally popular doesn't make it wrong.

Israel knows now it is in an existential struggle and that Iran, and others, are out to destroy it. It seems very hard to me to make a case for inaction. If they do nothing, they know the bomb which will destroy them is coming soon anyway.
  • Options

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov
    ·
    3h
    "When I meet people, quite often canvassing, or out on the street, people say 'you did the right thing'", claims Liz Truss...

In resigning? Yes, she did.
  • Options

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov
    ·
    3h

Truss is deranged . And to think she became PM !
  • Options

Adam Bienkov
    @AdamBienkov
    ·
    3h

By resignation of course
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

To be clear, I don't want Israel to strike back. I want everyone to calm down and back off. But I think it would take heroic restraint for Israel to do so, and I don't see strategically why it would. And just because such a move might be electorally popular doesn't make it wrong.

Israel knows now it is in an existential struggle and that Iran, and others, are out to destroy it. It seems very hard to me to make a case for inaction. If they do nothing, they know the bomb which will destroy them is coming soon anyway.
    You don't think MAD will work in the Middle East?
  • Options
    "Tesla lays off more than 10% of its workforce"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-68818113

Perhaps they should have kept them to attach Cybertruck accelerators properly... ;)

https://www.hagerty.com/media/news/tesla-puts-the-brakes-on-cybertruck-sales-for-an-accelerator-pedal/
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,155
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

“Israel knows now it is in an existential struggle…”

That could have been written anytime within the last 77 years. Many can make a case for inaction but such arguments would be moot because they’ve decided to act.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,431
    Vanilla has search problems and is looking into it.
  • Options
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Not if they are regional rather than global wars. Look at 1968 or 1980.
  • Options
    edited April 15
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

It wouldn't mean Iran could or would do missile attacks every week. This one was a response to the Consulate and was calibrated to be the end of it. To respond again would be an escalation done principally for domestic reasons.
    "calibrated"

lol

You're a fricking idiot. Iran sent 300 drones/missiles with no idea how many would get through, if half of them had got through thousands might have died. Spectacular stupidity

*calibrated*
  • Options

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Not if they are regional rather than global wars. Look at 1968 or 1980.
    I just think there will be so many countries that can't come and so many athletes too scared to fly, and all the rest of it, that cancellation will end up as the easier option IF there are two big wars raging at once. Putin is apparently readying his men for the spring offensive..

Let's hope we only have Ukraine to deal with
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Paris Olympics will not be cancelled over bugs in the Seine or nebulous security worries. Remember even in 2012 we had armed coppers around London.
  • Options

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

No, because the cold war was essentially defensive. Neither side really wanted to wipe the other off the map; they just feared the other wiping them off the map. The only reason for striking first was to make yourself safer - and as cold war tech developed, that seemed unlikely to be the case.
    Whereas Iran actively wants to wipe Israel off the map. If it can do so and largely survive itself, even better.
    And because Israel knows this, it knows there's no real point appealing to these people's better nature.

The best hope for the world is that the war can be largely confined to the Middle East.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

No, because the cold war was essentially defensive. Neither side really wanted to wipe the other off the map; they just feared the other wiping them off the map. The only reason for striking first was to make yourself safer - and as cold war tech developed, that seemed unlikely to be the case.
    Whereas Iran actively wants to wipe Israel off the map. If it can do so and largely survive itself, even better.
    And because Israel knows this, it knows there's no real point appealing to these people's better nature.

The best hope for the world is that the war can be largely confined to the Middle East.
    Or America just takes out Iran in a First Strike
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 826
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Israel knows now it is in an existential struggle
    and that Iran, and others, are out to destroy it. It
    seems very hard to me to make a case for
    inaction. If they do nothing, they know the bomb which will destroy them is coming soon
    anyway.
    I don't think I really understand this logic.

As I understand it, the strike was in response to a bombing of an Iranian consulate in Damascus, which any diplomat would recognise as an attack on sovereign Iranian territory. AIUI this attack was relatively unprovoked.

If my understanding is correct, then putting everything else aside (not least what a brutally evil regime holds sway in Tehran) Iran's response seems quite well calibrated. Fire large numbers of missiles and drones to show your displeasure, but do very little actual damage.

If Israel shows restraint now, it has scored a strategic victory in my view as, publicly at least, they have directly attacked Iran with relatively little comeback. Whereas if it strikes back it gets into a shooting war with one of the few near neighbours with both the firepower and the craziness to mean it really is in an existential struggle.

• Options

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Trouble is there are people on all sides (not just two sides) who really do believe that God is on their side, and that they will go to heaven when it all kicks off in the Middle East.
  • Options
    maxh said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

Israel knows now it is in an existential struggle
    and that Iran, and others, are out to destroy it. It
    seems very hard to me to make a case for
    inaction. If they do nothing, they know the bomb which will destroy them is coming soon
    anyway.
    I don't think I really understand this logic.

As I understand it, the strike was in response to a bombing of an Iranian consulate in Damascus, which any diplomat would recognise as an attack on sovereign Iranian territory. AIUI this attack was relatively unprovoked.

If my understanding is correct, then putting everything else aside (not least what a brutally evil regime holds sway in Tehran) Iran's response seems quite well calibrated. Fire large numbers of missiles and drones to show your displeasure, but do very little actual damage.

If Israel shows restraint now, it has scored a strategic victory in my view as, publicly at least, they have directly attacked Iran with relatively little comeback. Whereas if it strikes back it gets into a shooting war with one of the few near neighbours with both the firepower and the craziness to mean it really is in an existential struggle.

The issue is if each side feels the need to retaliate at every moment.

And Iran - let's not forget - sent a storm of missiles into Israel targeting civilians.

If someone sent a storm of missiles at the UK, would you not feel a teensy weensy bit of a desire to show your determination to resist such attacks? Of course, the goal is to avoid escalating. But who doesn't want the last word?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

I would say that The Iranian Regime wants to wipe Israel off the map. But as far as Maslow's hierarchy of needs goes, most Iranians don't give a shit.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360
    edited April 15
    The BBC Makes me feel sick. Nick Robinson claims he should have been clearer when accusing Israel of murdering Palestinians.... but you would never have heard him accuse Hamas of killing Jews.. oh no.. double standards. The BBC stinks in its appalling bias against Israel.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13310509/BBCs-Nick-Robinson-admits-clearer-amid-Tory-outrage-shocking-bias-said-Israel-attacks-murders-tens-thousands-innocent-Palestinians-quizzing-David-Cameron-Radio-4-interview.html

• Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Scoop via @BarakRavid:

"calibrated"

lol

You're a fricking idiot. Iran sent 300 drones/missiles with no idea how many would get through, if half of them had got through thousands might have died. Spectacular stupidity

*calibrated*
    Spectacularly stupid no doubt but if we assume the government in Iran has access to a functioning television set, the Iron Dome missile defence system will not have been a surprise.
This discussion has been closed.