Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A new dawn has broken has it not? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Carnyx said:

Bible: most historically accurate document.

ROFL.

IT SAYS A MAN WALKED ON WATER

It says that the world was created in 7 days, allegedly around what we would call October 4004.
    Er ... 6 days. The seventh was a compulsory rest day.

Noted!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Foxy said:

So I'm looking for recommendations for a good dinner set.

Humble working class Northerner that I am I could do with some suggestions on this front.

It is going to be a gift for somebody's 50th wedding anniversary.

Depends on budget and their taste, and whether formal or informal.

Denby Imperial blue is nice quality, dishwasher safe and has a gold edge but not too blingy.

https://www.denbypottery.com/imperialblue
    Thanks, money is no object.
    Knowing your brand whore tendencies:

https://www.wedgwood.com/en-gb/gifting/occasions/valentines-gifts/vera-wang-lace-gold-12-piece-set-1065062
    That's rather nice!

As is this, if money is really no object.
    https://www.wedgwood.com/en-gb/collections/prestige/phoenix/phoenix-15-piece-dinnerware-set-1065308
    Where its at really is 'knowing a potter who's fabulous and has whipped up this dinner set for you' - expensive but not much more than some Vera Wang from Wedgwood I shouldn't think.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,343
    Carnyx said:

ROFL.

It says that the world was created in 7 days, allegedly around what we would call October 4004.
    Why would an "almighty" being need to "rest"?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467
    Taz said:

What is this AI of which people speak ?

I believe it's the sound made by people of Spanish extraction when excited.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Taz said:

I believe it's the sound made by people of Spanish extraction when excited.
    Or maybe a sloth which Leon met in Colombia?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    edited April 10
    isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not new, but here is James O’Brien going so far down the trans rights rabbit hole that he’s berating a woman for not wanting men to be getting changed in the next cubicle to her

He is a raving lunatic

James O'Brien criticises female caller and says she should feel comfortable getting changed in the same changing room as him.

What....?

https://x.com/avonandsomerrob/status/1778093522157031509?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Struggling to see the issue there.

When we go to Centerparcs we use the mixed sex "family" changing rooms. We go into a cubicle to get changed, someone else male and/or female or typically both will be in the neighbouring cubicles.

So long as the cubicles are private, what difference does it make?
    I would have thought quite a few women would feel uncomfortable half naked being separated only by a curtain in a changing room from some random bloke. The Center Parcs changing rooms have locks on them
    I went to Center Parcs with an extended family group of my inlaws ast week. "Welcome to Center parc's!" the chalkboard in the villa cheerily announced. My wife quietly removed the apostrophe. But I was delighted that during the first night other anonymous hands had reverased the fifth and sixth letters of 'Center', and, later, changed the "c" of 'parcs' to a k. Never felt more at home in the family I married into.
    What deal did you get on the mortgage you took out to pay for it?
    My mother-in-law was paying for it. At least, paying for it for her children and their families. In a you-can't-take-it-with-you gesture.

Now, I have multiple issues with Centerparcs beyond the spelling. It is a) horribly expensive to stay there, and then b) you are further gouged for activities at every opportunity, c) it is crowded, and most of all d) you are largely restricted to a plot of about one square mile for the duration of your holiday, without even views of the outside world (though here I subverted the system by taking my hire bike for a tour of North Nottinghamshire - I felt like Patrick McGoohan in the Prisoner as I left, half expecting large white globes to come bouncing after me to take me back.) Oh, and e) what sort of maniac plans their holiday in day-by-day activities two months in advance? But you have to, because otherwise everything is booked up.
    BUT it was a great few days. An extended family of 27 - three siblings and their respective spouses and children and children-in-law and grandchildren, plus one unrelated interloper. Had we tried to arrange that, we'd have failed - we'd have never found a house for 28 and a weekend we could all do. But my M-i-L arranged it for her bit of the family, and others just opted in - and because it was in Nottinghamshire it was as accessible to the Northumberland contingent as it was to the North London contingent and to everyone in between. It was wonderful - our extended family has essentially produced a child every 18 months for the last 14 years; and kids slotted in happily with half-remembered second cousins. I grew up without siblings or cousins and never met my second cousins until well into adulthood. It was fine - I was in no way deprived - but I always felt popular images of family were lying to me somewhat. So being part of this massive family was brilliant. We played crazy golf. We did the table tennis game where you run round the table in a big circle. We had quizzes. We did badminton tournaments. Brilliant, it was.
    Challenging to feed a group of 28 in a lodge designed for 6, mind you.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,664
    This is a shared view across US and its allies:

The commander of US European Command said that Ukraine “will not be able to prevail” in the war against Russia without continued US support this year.

“The severity of this moment cannot be overstated,” Gen. Chris Cavoli told the House Armed Services Committee. “If we do not continue to support Ukraine, Ukraine could lose.”

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1778071738514911266
  • Options

ROFL.

To be fair, the date was just a bit of fun from Bishop Ussher, and may not be that accurate.
    No he was entirely serious, though he got a bit shaky in places. I came across this fascinatying paper some years back: not open access, alas.

https://www.lyellcollection.org/doi/abs/10.1144/GSL.SP.2007.273.01.04

"Ussher only allowed the initial creation which was 'inanis et vacua" (without form and void; Genesis 1:2) to last until the first morning. Humans were created six days later (Ussher n.d., Vol. VIII, pp. 14-15). Many other writers of the sixteenth and early seven- teenth century also favoured a date of about 4000 BC (Fuller 2001, 2005), though some allowed an indefinite duration of chaos. Although his chronol- ogy from the first humans in 4004 8c to the time of Christ was widely accepted until the 1830s, his strict understanding of six days and a twelve hour "chaos" was not, and was a minority opinion over the next 150 years."
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,849
    geoffw said:

All this talk about porcelaine reminds me that some 60-odd years ago I worked in a porcelaine factory in upper Bavaria where the company-supplied lunch break ("Mahlzeit") included free beer. It was as weak as gnats' piss but even so the afternoon shift breakages were stunning. But as they say in those parts, "zerbrochene Geschirr bringt Glück". I came away with a full coffee set which has never been used since, so TSE don't bother with eBay, just pm me if you're interested.

Is there some kind of competition this week for strang posts? There is this one and the one about the stainless steel armour for a bath. Most odd... 😎
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

He's almighty. He can do what he wants. Because of the almightyness.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The commander of US European Command said that Ukraine “will not be able to prevail” in the war against Russia without continued US support this year.

“The severity of this moment cannot be overstated,” Gen. Chris Cavoli told the House Armed Services Committee. “If we do not continue to support Ukraine, Ukraine could lose.”

Top US general warns Russia to gain 10:1 artillery advantage in Ukraine “within weeks” unless 🇺🇸 helps.

Gen. Christopher Cavoli, head of US European Command, warned that the war in Ukraine has reached a critical moment.

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPress/status/1778166100682801391
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 557

ROFL.

There are much more interesting statements in the bible.

Did a bloke called Solomon or Suleiman even exist who ran a centralised kingdom and had a temple built? There's very little material evidence for it.

Meanwhile, some species of acacia contain DMT, the active component of ayahuasca. And taking DMT can cause people 1. to experience entities (even ones who construct buildings) and 2. to have an altered perception of time (such as might relate to the burning of bushes). There is a burgeoning literature on this, some of it academic:

https://www.google.com/search?q=moses+ayahuasca
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

But why didn't he use the 7th day to create more stuff??
  • Options

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

Job was finished. Not even any need to nip down to Screwfix.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

Don't ask me, ask Him. I am not almighty.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    edited April 10
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

Not new, but here is James O’Brien going so far down the trans rights rabbit hole that he’s berating a woman for not wanting men to be getting changed in the next cubicle to her

He is a raving lunatic

James O'Brien criticises female caller and says she should feel comfortable getting changed in the same changing room as him.

What....?

https://x.com/avonandsomerrob/status/1778093522157031509?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

When we go to Centerparcs we use the mixed sex "family" changing rooms. We go into a cubicle to get changed, someone else male and/or female or typically both will be in the neighbouring cubicles.

I would have thought quite a few women would feel uncomfortable half naked being separated only by a curtain in a changing room from some random bloke. The Center Parcs changing rooms have locks on them
    I went to Center Parcs with an extended family group of my inlaws ast week. "Welcome to Center parc's!" the chalkboard in the villa cheerily announced. My wife quietly removed the apostrophe. But I was delighted that during the first night other anonymous hands had reverased the fifth and sixth letters of 'Center', and, later, changed the "c" of 'parcs' to a k. Never felt more at home in the family I married into.
    My mother-in-law was paying for it. At least, paying for it for her children and their families. In a you-can't-take-it-with-you gesture.

Now, I have multiple issues with Centerparcs beyond the spelling. It is a) horribly expensive to stay there, and then b) you are further gouged for activities at every opportunity, c) it is crowded, and most of all d) you are largely restricted to a plot of about one square mile for the duration of your holiday, without even views of the outside world (though here I subverted the system by taking my hire bike for a tour of North Nottinghamshire - I felt like Patrick McGoohan in the Prisoner as I left, half expecting large white globes to come bouncing after me to take me back.) Oh, and e) what sort of maniac plans their holiday in day-by-day activities two months in advance? But you have to, because otherwise everything is booked up.
    BUT it was a great few days. An extended family of 27 - three siblings and their respective spouses and children and children-in-law and grandchildren, plus one unrelated interloper. Had we tried to arrange that, we'd have failed - we'd have never found a house for 28 and a weekend we could all do. But my M-i-L arranged it for her bit of the family, and others just opted in - and because it was in Nottinghamshire it was as accessible to the Northumberland contingent as it was to the North London contingent and to everyone in between. It was wonderful - our extended family has essentially produced a child every 18 months for the last 14 years; and kids slotted in happily with half-remembered second cousins. I grew up without siblings or cousins and never met my second cousins until well into adulthood. It was fine - I was in no way deprived - but I always felt popular images of family were lying to me somewhat. So being part of this massive family was brilliant. We played crazy golf. We did the table tennis game where you run round the table in a big circle. We had quizzes. We did badminton tournaments. Brilliant, it was.
    I went with my partner and our two kids, aged 1 & 3… they absolutely loved it to be fair. I’m sure it would be a good laugh with a big crowd of adults. Pricey though, they’ve properly got you over a barrel

• Options
    RolloRollo Posts: 12
    Sell thy shares

*US SEES MISSILE STRIKE ON ISRAEL BY IRAN, PROXIES AS IMMINENT"

https://x.com/zerohedge/status/1778114019544453392
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,697

Foxy said:

Donkeys said:

malcolmg said:

Hamas is now described as a "movement" by the BBC

Well, at least they haven't killed as many people as the IDF...
    Hamas have killed all of the innocent Palestinians they hid behind since their barbaric raid on Israel

Sunal Jazeera's spreadsheets might not agree
    The gallant, moral IDF have killed TWENTY-TWO times as many people as evil Hamas.

According to Hamas
    I find his propagandising for an Islamist terror group quite unseemly
    Your lack of regard for civilian life suggests to me that, contrary to the propaganda that you are a humble postie from Hampshire, you are actually Paula Venells in disguise :lol:
    Its Hamas that have a disregard for civilian life.

They chose this fight. They can end it whenever the like by surrendering.
    No, the IDF have killed TWENTY-TWO times more people than Hamas have on and since 7/10.

And between January 2008 and 6/10/2023, a similar ratio. Hamas killed only 310 Israelis, whilst the IDF killed 6,337 Palestinians. TWENTY times as many.
    Do you think if the figures were reversed, Hamas would stop?
    Of course not; Hamas want to see Israel (and more widely Jews) eradicated.

But that's slightly missing the point: Israel has (or had...) a great deal of sympathy worldwide given Jewish history over the centuries; particularly the last century. They are rapidly losing that sympathy by acting in the same manner as their enemies. And that matters in the medium- and long-term.
    At some point you have to say enough is enough. Tough crying wolf after you have been murdering shedloads of Israelis. Release the hostages that are still alive and state clearly they will never attack Israel or Jews again and it is over. Otherwise suck it up.
    "Murdering shedloads of Israelis"? You need to mug up on who's been doing what to whom, and on what scale, in the region for the past 80 years.
    Israel had to build some of the world's best defences to counter the constant barrage of rocket attacks launched with murderous intent by their innocent and oppressed neighbours
    Not taking sides, but the Palestinians were there first. As far as they’re concerned!
    Israel exists

Islam needs to come to terms with that fact
    Palestinians exist. Israel needs to come to terms with that fact.
    How many Israelis would have accepted the existing borders at any point in the last eighty years?

Enough of them every time

How many Palestinians/Arabs/Muslims accepted the existing borders at any point in the last eighty years?

You probably have sufficient fingers
    Peace will come when each recognises the others right to exist within secure borders in safety and dignity.

It ain't going to happen any time soon, and each round of killing only drives people to the extremists on each side. Peace is further away than ever.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

I went with my partner and our two kids, aged 1 & 3… they absolutely loved it to be fair. I’m sure it would be a good laugh with a big crowd of adults. Pricey though, they’ve properly got you over a barrel

Indeed. When you compare it to what other holidays you could get for that price, especially in school holidays. But people absolutely lap it up.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,496
    edited April 10
    ydoethur said:

dr_spyn said:

Much to the disappointment of Private Eye and other publications Harold Wilson has had the last laugh, they were all insinuating that he had been having an affair with Marcia Williams.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13294415/Harold-Wilson-affair-Prime-Minister-Downing-Street-Janet-Hewlett-Davies.html

He was.

As a friend of mine who worked for him could (and did) testify to in private.*

That doesn't mean he wasn't shagging others too.

*To be exact, my friend saw Wilson frequently leaving Marcia Williams' place first thing in the morning. But maybe they were just working the lavender notepaper?
    I've never heard it called that before, but it's certainly an excellent euphemism for something.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

How can I ask him if he doesn't exist??
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,328
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

Our family always say creating memories was one of their most special parts of being young
  • Options
    PUTIN IS WATCHING
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    Taz said:

Carnyx said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

In my youth it was the main road between Berwick and Newcastle/Edinburgh !!!!!
    It will still be single carriageway in 100 years time.
    It's improved a lot in recent years, but the Scots have given up improving their last bits because the lot down in London won't do their bit properly. Berwick is ending up in a sort of desert borderland. Even the bypass is single carriageway (Actually, sort of one and a half).
    Can’t blame the Scots really when we’ve had numerous false dawns down here where dualling it has been promised several times but nothing ever happens.
    I think the current Conservative habit of drilling holes in the bottom of the boat when they are trying to attach a fender to the gunwale may be a bit of a problem!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,328
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Donkeys said:

malcolmg said:

Hamas have killed all of the innocent Palestinians they hid behind since their barbaric raid on Israel

The gallant, moral IDF have killed TWENTY-TWO times as many people as evil Hamas.

According to Hamas
    Your lack of regard for civilian life suggests to me that, contrary to the propaganda that you are a humble postie from Hampshire, you are actually Paula Venells in disguise :lol:

No, the IDF have killed TWENTY-TWO times more people than Hamas have on and since 7/10.

And between January 2008 and 6/10/2023, a similar ratio. Hamas killed only 310 Israelis, whilst the IDF killed 6,337 Palestinians. TWENTY times as many.

But that's slightly missing the point: Israel has (or had...) a great deal of sympathy worldwide given Jewish history over the centuries; particularly the last century. They are rapidly losing that sympathy by acting in the same manner as their enemies. And that matters in the medium- and long-term.
    At some point you have to say enough is enough. Tough crying wolf after you have been murdering shedloads of Israelis. Release the hostages that are still alive and state clearly they will never attack Israel or Jews again and it is over. Otherwise suck it up.
    "Murdering shedloads of Israelis"? You need to mug up on who's been doing what to whom, and on what scale, in the region for the past 80 years.
    Israel had to build some of the world's best defences to counter the constant barrage of rocket attacks launched with murderous intent by their innocent and oppressed neighbours
    Not taking sides, but the Palestinians were there first. As far as they’re concerned!
    Israel exists

How many Israelis would have accepted the existing borders at any point in the last eighty years?

How many Palestinians/Arabs/Muslims accepted the existing borders at any point in the last eighty years?

You probably have sufficient fingers
    Peace will come when each recognises the others right to exist within secure borders in safety and dignity.

It ain't going to happen any time soon, and each round of killing only drives people to the extremists on each side. Peace is further away than ever.
    Wise words and so true
  • Options
    edited April 10

Donkeys said:

malcolmg said:

According to Hamas

Israel exists

Existence - that's something else it has in common with the Confederacy 1861-65 and the white supremacist regime in South Africa. What follows from this premise that you think 1.8 billion people don't "come to terms" with?

Foxy said:

Donkeys said:

malcolmg said:

According to Hamas

Israel exists

"Would have"? If one knew the condition clause the question might be answerable.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,759
    Carnyx said:

ROFL.

To be fair, the date was just a bit of fun from Bishop Ussher, and may not be that accurate.
    No he was entirely serious, though he got a bit shaky in places. I came across this fascinatying paper some years back: not open access, alas.

"Ussher only allowed the initial creation which was 'inanis et vacua" (without form and void; Genesis 1:2) to last until the first morning. Humans were created six days later (Ussher n.d., Vol. VIII, pp. 14-15). Many other writers of the sixteenth and early seven- teenth century also favoured a date of about 4000 BC (Fuller 2001, 2005), though some allowed an indefinite duration of chaos. Although his chronol- ogy from the first humans in 4004 8c to the time of Christ was widely accepted until the 1830s, his strict understanding of six days and a twelve hour "chaos" was not, and was a minority opinion over the next 150 years."
    I thought Ussher settled on early October because it would have been the start of Michaelmas Term at Oxford - an important date in the Almighty's diary.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,324
    Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Zerohedge. Oh that takes me back to the GFC where some of the end of the world scenarios came close to coming true. More than a decade of complete nonsense since, of course.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    edited April 10
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

Once again Mansfield proves to be the Centre of the Universe :smiley: .

Unfortunately it is run by a Council stuck in the 1940s.

(In a minute someone will pop up and tell me it is in Sherwood :wink: )
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,856
    edited April 10
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Top US general warns Russia to gain 10:1 artillery advantage in Ukraine “within weeks” unless 🇺🇸 helps.

Gen. Christopher Cavoli, head of US European Command, warned that the war in Ukraine has reached a critical moment.

And the Speaker refused to even meet Cameron to discuss this. The Republicans are no longer reliable allies and we simply cannot rely upon them. Trump is not a one off any more, he has infected the whole party.
    And yet some in the UK continue to support Trump. The GOP are a complete and utter disgrace . They can all rot in hell .
  • Options
    edited April 10
    DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Zerohedge. Oh that takes me back to the GFC where some of the end of the world scenarios came close to coming true. More than a decade of complete nonsense since, of course.
    This is being reported SEVERALLY

I suspect a widening of the war is imminent. Greetings, by the way

"#Israel is facing the threat of imminent attack, directly from Iran and in combination with coordinated attacks by Hezbollah, Houthis & Iranian proxies in Syria & Iraq

Biden must stop the harsh criticism of the only pro-American democracy in the region & make clear the U.S.…"

https://x.com/marcorubio/status/1778155213418897653
  • Options
    Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

Mrs Foxys family used to hire this place for a couple of nights, for 40 or so. Great fun and about £100 each including 3 meals a day. A bit school dinners as it normally did school trips but perfect. We would do archery, bivouac building, table tennis contest, quizzes, children's games etc. We would go every year.

Sadly the company went bust during covid, but it was quite a venue. 16 bedrooms rather than 6.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/146233334
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

How can I ask him if he doesn't exist??
    I am sure He will find a way. IIUC it usually involves prayer.
  • Options
    edited April 10

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

I thought Ussher settled on early October because it would have been the start of Michaelmas Term at Oxford - an important date in the Almighty's diary.
    Went back to check the preceding text: says the evening before 'vigesimum tertium diem Octobris... in anno periodi Julianae 710' ie the evening before 23 October if my Latin is correct. But of course the Archbish was writing before the calendrical change. Does that account for the difference? 10 days doesn't sound like enough, but maybe you could look up the appropriate university calendar for that year?
  • Options
    nico679 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

And the Speaker refused to even meet Cameron to discuss this. The Republicans are no longer reliable allies and we simply cannot rely upon them. Trump is not a one off any more, he has infected the whole party.
    And yet some in the UK continue to support Trump. The GOP are a complete and utter disgrace . They can all rot in hell .
    i don't think many, if any, support Trump. What they do observe is that the best part of 50% of Americans do and we are unwise to simply call them stupid or bigots or whatever rather than trying to understand a bit more about how they think and what is important to them.

The MAGA crowd come from a long tradition of US isolationism, anti-immigration and American continentalism. We have got used to the much more internationally orientated USA we have had since the second world war. Our assumptions that they will always be there for us are now dependent upon which party has the White House. We need to think through the implications of that because they are not small.
  • Options
    Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

"#Israel is facing the threat of imminent attack, directly from Iran and in combination with coordinated attacks by Hezbollah, Houthis & Iranian proxies in Syria & Iraq

Biden must stop the harsh criticism of the only pro-American democracy in the region & make clear the U.S.…"

And to you. I hope the last Rollo is not imminent but I would suggest that you back off the Putin crap.
  • Options

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

According to Hamas
    It’s not propaganda. Showing the reality re deaths .
    The numbers are made up by Hamas

And let's all hope that Hamas makes up most of the real number
    Those figures are supported by organizations on the ground . And looking at the devastation hardly look like being inflated . That doesn’t include those who are buried in the rubble . Over half of the buildings in Gaza are either destroyed or uninhabitable.
    Maybe Hamas should lay down their weapons then?

That's the price of war. A war Hamas chose.
    Events don’t happen in a vacuum .

There will be no peace whilst Israel continue to illegally build settlements and steal Palestinian land.

And Israel quite reasonable and quite rightly will continue to build settlements on disputed land until there is peace. As they should.

If Hamas surrender, then peace might be an option. As Israel has repeatedly sought peace, and Israelis have voted for peace seeking parties when the other side looks like they might want peace too, it is Hamas rejecting it just as Arafat rejected it.

Not that there is a single settlement in Gaza, though there might be after this war, nor is the West Bank "Palestinian land".
    Wrong. Chabad established a Chabad House in Beit Hanoun in northern Gaza in December.

https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/2023-12-07/ty-article/.premium/israeli-soldiers-proclaim-a-chabad-house-in-northern-gaza-damaged-building/0000018c-43a1-db23-ad9f-6bf9bd320000

https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/several-religious-idf-soldiers-establish-first-chabad-house-in-gaza-strip/

As for what might happen on the West Bank in the future, see what the "Hilltop youth" and fascist "price-tag" thugs have already done, and are still doing, many under the inspiration of Chabad rabbi Yitzchak Ginsburgh.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,674
    edited April 10

Donkeys said:

malcolmg said:

According to Hamas

As far as reality is concerned, they were not.

Israel is a western democracy that has sought peace time and again, and would be destroyed if it didn't defend itself.

We should support them to defend themselves.
    The Palestinians and the Jews are both basically the descendants of the people who lived in Judaea centuries ago. The Palestinians are the ones who stayed in the region and converted to Christianity and Islam. Most of the Israeli Jewish population are descended from the Jewish diaspora and moved back to Israel over about the last century.

EDIT: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10212583/ is one of several genetic studies on this.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

And to you. I hope the last Rollo is not imminent but I would suggest that you back off the Putin crap.
    But he is. WATCHING. Also he is winning in Ukraine. This is an unfortunate FACT
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,511
    Semi Bird: https://www.birdforgovernor.com/

(I see 1.5 birds in the picture.)
  • Options
    MattW said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

I thought of you actually as I was on my way back through Clipstone and Mansfield Woodhouse - wondered whereabouts in that lot you actually are. Clipstone was quite interesting - still a pithead in place.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

How much do you know about the covid vaccine and BA pilots?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

Tired and shagged out after a long squawk?
  • Options

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

you are being observed in Tel Aviv and Washington. This does not UNNERVE you....

I have no opinion of the vaccine, of course it worked, it is a masterpiece of western bio-technology
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,856
    DavidL said:

nico679 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

i don't think many, if any, support Trump. What they do observe is that the best part of 50% of Americans do and we are unwise to simply call them stupid or bigots or whatever rather than trying to understand a bit more about how they think and what is important to them.

The MAGA crowd come from a long tradition of US isolationism, anti-immigration and American continentalism. We have got used to the much more internationally orientated USA we have had since the second world war. Our assumptions that they will always be there for us are now dependent upon which party has the White House. We need to think through the implications of that because they are not small.
    Europe needs to look after itself and realize that going forward the USA can’t be relied on. But that will take time in terms of defence spending and arms manufacturing.

There’s the wider implications of Russia winning . A last resort in terms of this Ukraine aid is if enough GOP in the House sign upto the discharge petition . Or will they sit on their hands and watch as Ukraine falls .
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,455
    Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

A plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China Border. On which side do you bury the survivors?
  • Options
    Rollo is another Sean alt. Yawn.
  • Options
    edited April 10
    Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq seems to be giving it some too, including by attacking Israeli installations in Haifa with drones.

Edit: or maybe you'd file them under "Iranian proxies"?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,759
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

Went back to check the preceding text: says the evening before 'vigesimum tertium diem Octobris... in anno periodi Julianae 710' ie the evening before 23 October if my Latin is correct. But of course the Archbish was writing before the calendrical change. Does that account for the difference? 10 days doesn't sound like enough, but maybe you could look up the appropriate university calendar for that year?
    It's a bit late in the evening for this sort of caper ... but the Julian/Gregorian discrepancy is 3 days per 400 years so that would account for about 30 days back to -4004 minus the 11-day accumulated error to 1582. Does that mean 4th October? First Sunday in Michaelmas?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

Mrs Foxys family used to hire this place for a couple of nights, for 40 or so. Great fun and about £100 each including 3 meals a day. A bit school dinners as it normally did school trips but perfect. We would do archery, bivouac building, table tennis contest, quizzes, children's games etc. We would go every year.

Sadly the company went bust during covid, but it was quite a venue. 16 bedrooms rather than 6.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/146233334
    Sounds wonderful.

In a similar vein, there is a hotel in Devon called the Manor House, near Okehampton on the edge of Dartmoor. Your comment 'a bit school dinners' made me think of it - but it's the holiday Centerparcs should be and great for extended families. Basically all the sporting activities and more of a Centerparcs - squash, tennis, badminton, table tennis, crazy golf, real golf, cricket, football, rounders, volleyball, dodgeball, bowling, archery, pistol shooting, rifle shooting, climbing, swimming, roller skating, bowls, cycling, hiking, snooker, pool - but all free. Oh, and loads of craft activities. Also free, though you have to pay for materials.
    It is not luxury - I don't think it's been redecorated since the 1980s, and it would make an architect cry: every room has been knocked through or partitioned in some way, and no room is a cuboid - but it is what family holidays should be.
    Devon rather less central than Nottinghamshire however.
  • Options

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

A plane crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China Border. On which side do you bury the survivors?
    Ukraine
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

The Islamic Resistance in Iraq seems to be giving it some too, including by attacking Israeli installations in Haifa with drones.
    I don't understand why this isn't reported more widely. This infernal war is about to expand
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,949

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Or indeed the possible future owners of The Spectator?
  • Options
    Rollo said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

you are being observed in Tel Aviv and Washington. This does not UNNERVE you....

I have no opinion of the vaccine, of course it worked, it is a masterpiece of western bio-technology
    Out of curiousity, who do you mean by 'you' here? The British? Turbotubbs specifically? Posters on this site?
    (If the latter, I hope they are picking up on my holiday recommendations. It will be jolly to have the CIA and Mossad along with us next time we go away.)
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,949
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

#dissapointed
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,198
    Rollo said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Ukraine
    Have you ever heard of a band called 'Faithless'?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,496
    Cookie said:

Rollo said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Out of curiousity, who do you mean by 'you' here? The British? Turbotubbs specifically? Posters on this site?
    (If the latter, I hope they are picking up on my holiday recommendations. It will be jolly to have the CIA and Mossad along with us next time we go away.)
    Actually, putting both sets of combatants under separate Center Parcs domes might solve a lot of problems.
  • Options

Donkeys said:

malcolmg said:

According to Hamas

As far as reality is concerned, they were not.

Israel is a western democracy that has sought peace time and again, and would be destroyed if it didn't defend itself.

We should support them to defend themselves.
    The Palestinians and the Jews are both basically the descendants of the people who lived in Judaea centuries ago. The Palestinians are the ones who stayed in the region and converted to Christianity and Islam. Most of the Israeli Jewish population are descended from the Jewish diaspora and moved back to Israel over about the last century.

EDIT: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10212583/ is one of several genetic studies on this.
    Many of the Jewish diaspora moved back to Israel over the past century, but many were there already.

The idea that Jews simple moved to Israel post-WWII and weren't there before, is a complete and utter fallacy.

Not that there's anything wrong with migration. More people have probably moved to the UK than Israel post-WWII.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,198
    USA inflation soaring!!

Europe next!!! No interest rate cuts this year y'all.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,020

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

@Malmesbury

I love your posts (normally).

But, take it from me, the Russian trolls are preferable to this tiresome shite.

• Options
    edited April 10
    Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

I don't understand why this isn't reported more widely. This infernal war is about to expand
    The US floating pier plan isn't being spoken about much any more either.

But Macron spilled a few beans by saying mass deportation would be a no-no.

Have you looked at the red heifer thing?

So far this week, Cameron has been in Washington (also in Florida!), and Lavrov has been in Beijing, possibly soon to be followed by Putin.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

ROFL.

How could an all powerful, all knowing and loving god have the world as it is?

Those three things are clearly incompatible with each other.

If God is all powerful and knows about the many cruelties in this world, and chooses to do nothing about it, then he's not loving.
    If he knows about the cruelties and wants to fix it but can't then he's not omnipotent.
    And if he would fix the problems and could, but he doesn't know about it then he's not omniscient.

Could be any 2 of those 3, but can't be all 3 simultaneously. Doesn't fit with the world as it is.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,511
    I think many of you will enjoy the video in this article:
    https://thespun.com/college-hoops/video-national-anthem-at-mens-national-title-goes-viral

Most.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,020
    edited April 10

Rollo said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Ukraine
    Have you ever heard of a band called 'Faithless'?
    Nice.

Fun fact:

Rollo from Faithless is Dido’s brother.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

I thought of you actually as I was on my way back through Clipstone and Mansfield Woodhouse - wondered whereabouts in that lot you actually are. Clipstone was quite interesting - still a pithead in place.
    I can see two winding gear pitheads right now from my bay window.
    Admittedly, they are a mining museum, but even so.
  • Options

ROFL.

Something we can agree on.

Though it says a lot more preposterous things than that.

A lot more offensive things too.
  • Options
    The fact that Trump and his partners are all suing each other for the right to unload their stock probably isn't a good sign for shareholders.
    https://twitter.com/jackabryan/status/1778136944809234690

• Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

It is odd. I posted about this a couple of hours ago. The US President tonight has warned of an impending attack by Iran on Israel and has warned them against. This has been briefed to intelligence correspondents for several days. “Sources” to the White House say they don’t rule out joining any retaliatory strike on Iran.

It reminds me of autumn 2021 when Americans at work were asking me incredulously why I thought Russia was about to invade Ukraine. “Errrr…. Because your president (and the British foreign office) have said so?”.
  • Options

ROFL.

Something we can agree on.

Though it says a lot more preposterous things than that.

A lot more offensive things too.
    Agreed. It lauds genocide.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447
    moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

It is odd. I posted about this a couple of hours ago. The US President tonight has warned of an impending attack by Iran on Israel and has warned them against. This has been briefed to intelligence correspondents for several days. “Sources” to the White House say they don’t rule out joining any retaliatory strike on Iran.

It reminds me of autumn 2021 when Americans at work were asking me incredulously why I thought Russia was about to invade Ukraine. “Errrr…. Because your president (and the British foreign office) have said so?”.
    Why would the Israeli's target an embassy? No doubt Iran's been up to no good in the region but embassies are national territory and almost forces the Iranians to respond.

I'm not sure Netanyahu is acting in good sense in maybe trying to drag America into another middle eastern war. And one with such global consequences.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

We may be looking at WW3, Russia/China/Iran V the West. If nothing else, it will put the Welsh Maximum Speed Limit Debate in Perspective
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The fact that Trump and his partners are all suing each other for the right to unload their stock probably isn't a good sign for shareholders.
    https://twitter.com/jackabryan/status/1778136944809234690

Down another 8.5% today....
  • Options

moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Why would the Israeli's target an embassy? No doubt Iran's been up to no good in the region but embassies are national territory and almost forces the Iranians to respond.

I'm not sure Netanyahu is acting in good sense in maybe trying to drag America into another middle eastern war. And one with such global consequences.
    I speak not of who started what and who has good sense. It’s just striking dipping in and out of this place that no one seems to have mentioned what the US President and other Gang of 8 have said tonight, nor noted the reports that Tehran’s airspace has been effectively closed to civilian traffic.
  • Options
    Rollo said:

moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

We may be looking at WW3, Russia/China/Iran V the West. If nothing else, it will put the Welsh Maximum Speed Limit Debate in Perspective
    If China is smart, it will invade Russia and take everything east of the Urals. That would be so funny....
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    As others have pointed out downthread the sense now is that an Iranian state on state attack on Israel is imminent. Interestingly its the US & Israeli anonymous briefings and not so anonymous statements that are most notable.

Its the state on state element that separates it from the usual (and expected) use of proxies.

Could it be a damp squib situation, well rehearsed with a handful of missiles direct from Iran and the rest coming from usual sources Syria, Lebanon and Yemen? Honour satisfied, limited Israeli retaliation and a continuation of a long low intensity shooting match after? It seems the concern is that this isnt what its going to be with consdierable strategic ambiguity on both sides regarding scale and response.

• Options
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

I speak not of who started what and who has good sense. It’s just striking dipping in and out of this place that no one seems to have mentioned what the US President and other Gang of 8 have said tonight, nor noted the reports that Tehran’s airspace has been effectively closed to civilian traffic.
    I believe the air space stuff is not true, at least planes are still landing in Tehran. But yes it seems like everyone either believes the Iranians are going to do it or that they can stop them by proclaiming preparedness, 'iron clad support' and so on.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited April 10
    If Iran is stupid enough to attack Israel, then Israel should utterly destroy them.

Good riddance to the Iranian leadership if they do. Regime change in Iran would be a good thing.

I don't think even the Mullahs are that stupid though.
  • Options
    edited April 10

moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

At least one senior IGRC target in the diplomatic facility was involved in planning the 7th October attacks. The conspiracy that Netanyahu is sitting there playing 4D chess and thinking 20 moves ahead is balls. He isnt that good, The reason for targeting is just as likely to be the above. Secondly perhaps the Israelis calculated that Iran's response, no matter how symbolic of a few missiles coming from Iran will not really amount to anything, and they might be right yet.
  • Options

If Iran is stupid enough to attack Israel, then Israel should utterly destroy them.

Good riddance to the Iranian leadership if they do. Regime change in Iran would be a good thing.

Israel destroying Persia? The only way they can do that is with nukes. Which means World War 3 for all of us

You are an idiot. We are on the very edge of the cliff
  • Options
    Yokes said:

As others have pointed out downthread the sense now is that an Iranian state on state attack on Israel is imminent. Interestingly its the US & Israeli anonymous briefings and not so anonymous statements that are most notable.

Its the state on state element that separates it from the usual (and expected) use of proxies.

Could it be a damp squib situation, well rehearsed with a handful of missiles direct from Iran and the rest coming from usual sources Syria, Lebanon and Yemen? Honour satisfied, limited Israeli retaliation and a continuation of a long low intensity shooting match after? It seems the concern is that this isnt what its going to be with consdierable strategic ambiguity on both sides regarding scale and response.

It struck me that if you were so inclined, you could trivially provoke Iran into a state on state attack. Which then gives the cover to try and take out the Iranian nuclear stuff with a less cloudy justification than “preventive self defence”.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Yokes said:

It struck me that if you were so inclined, you could trivially provoke Iran into a state on state attack. Which then gives the cover to try and take out the Iranian nuclear stuff with a less cloudy justification than “preventive self defence”.
    Iran is crucial in the supply of warmaking materiel to Putin. We are really close to something truly terrible
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA3LZ_ewzPU

United Ireland 'a legitimate aspiration' but 'not priority', says incoming Taoiseach Simon Harris

Seems like a nice fellow.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

I believe the air space stuff is not true, at least planes are still landing in Tehran. But yes it seems like everyone either believes the Iranians are going to do it or that they can stop them by proclaiming preparedness, 'iron clad support' and so on.
    In the 21st century watching civil air traffic online is a about as good a signal as the average Joe can get that something is up.

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    edited April 10
    Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

Is it Saturday already?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited April 10
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Trump did meet Cameron, as did McConnell, Johnson met him last year
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/04/09/david-cameron-donald-trump-meeting-florida-ukraine-funding/
    https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/04/09/congress/camerons-hill-visit-00151340
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX8rpjtr9WU
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA3LZ_ewzPU

United Ireland 'a legitimate aspiration' but 'not priority', says incoming Taoiseach Simon Harris

Seems like a nice fellow.

Man makes obvious statement shock.
  • Options
    Yokes said:

moonshine said:

Rollo said:

Donkeys said:

Rollo said:

DavidL said:

Rollo said:

Sell thy shares

At least one senior IGRC target in the diplomatic facility was involved in planning the 7th October attacks. The conspiracy that Netanyahu is sitting there playing 4D chess and thinking 20 moves ahead is balls. He isnt that good, The reason for targeting is just as likely to be the above. Secondly perhaps the Israelis calculated that Iran's response, no matter how symbolic of a few missiles coming from Iran will not really amount to anything, and they might be right yet.
    Some commentators seem to be emphasising the symbolism of the Argentina embassy bombing?

I think the killing of so many leaders makes it almost certain the response will be escalatory. I can't imagine if the roles were reversed that the Israelis would be backing down.
  • Options

Israel's expeditionary warfare capabilities are limited. They dont have the conventional reach to put Iran flat on its arse by striking fom above.
  • Options
    Rollo said:

moonshine said:

Yokes said:

Iran is crucial in the supply of warmaking materiel to Putin. We are really close to something truly terrible
    Iran has got away with arming Putin, using its proxies to effectively shut the Suez, launching attacks on US bases across the region, and of course likely some role in 8th Oct. We are already at the “something terrible”.

Biden has woken up too late and realised that the big stick is worthless if everyone knows you are too scared to carry it. Lest we forget the “minor incursion” bullshit in Jan 2022. His language this evening indicates his administration has woken up. But deterrence becomes more difficult and more expensive the later you leave it.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Yokes said:

I believe all the nuclear stuff is dug deep.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    MattW said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

Cookie said:

isam said:

isam said:

He is a raving lunatic

What....?

I've been mountain biking around there quite a bit. The Dukeries area is quite pleasant and the circuit round the Forestry Commission woodland ("Sherwood Pines") is always good for a bit of mud plugging even if it doesn't quite have enough elevation change. There's also Clumber, "Sherwood Forest" and Rufford Abbey.

It isn't the worst place in the world even if some of it is a bit down at heel.

The Centre Parks (ha!) always looked a bit Colditz like from the outside to me, although that's partially because the site had a military use in a previous life. You can see practice trenches from WW1 if you look around.

What struck me as odd about Mansfield was right next to Clipstone and the ex-colliery is a very posh golf club with a really nice heathland layout:
    https://www.sherwoodforestgolfclub.co.uk/

It's definitely not all grim.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    dr_spyn said:

Much to the disappointment of Private Eye and other publications Harold Wilson has had the last laugh, they were all insinuating that he had been having an affair with Marcia Williams.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13294415/Harold-Wilson-affair-Prime-Minister-Downing-Street-Janet-Hewlett-Davies.html

Not quite as big a shock as Major and Edwina but still was not the lover most thought Wilson had
  • Options

There's no problem in the world that can't be solved by either extreme violence or economic deregulation is there?
  • Options
    Washington needs to take out Netanyahu. Not Tehran

The world is close to being immolated for the career of one Israeli politician. Enough
  • Options
    Yokes said:

The Damascus strike was already state on state. A damp squib would reprise events following the assassination of Soleimani who was more senior than Zahedi. If Netanyahu wanted this, could he control his own side sufficiently? It might be a bit late to try,
  • Options
    Foxy said:

There's no problem in the world that can't be solved by either extreme violence or economic deregulation is there?
    Of course there is, but when it comes to standing up to bullies and the violent then yes violence back is often necessary.

If you read my line carefully you'd have noticed the first word which is critical, I didn't advocate attacking Iran unprovoked (others might), but rather if Iran does attack then they should be destroyed.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Of course there is, but when it comes to standing up to bullies and the violent then yes violence back is often necessary.

If you read my line carefully you'd have noticed the first word which is critical, I didn't advocate attacking Iran unprovoked (others might), but rather if Iran does attack then they should be destroyed.
    I think this is unlikely, but what if Iran responds without escalating, say by keeping things on the same level? For close equivalence we can imagine them bombing an Israeli embassy. That would be good grounds for destroying Iran?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Israel's expeditionary warfare capabilities are limited. They dont have the conventional reach to put Iran flat on its arse by striking fom above.
    Not if they want to keep oil prices acceptable in a US election year. Otherwise they'd take out their oil export facilities.
This discussion has been closed.