Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A new dawn has broken has it not? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,691
edited April 28 in General
imageA new dawn has broken has it not? – politicalbetting.com

YouGov Holyrood *constituency* voting intention (25 Mar – 2 Apr)SNP: 34% (-3 from Oct)Lab: 32% (+3)Con: 15% (-5)Lib Dem: 9% (=)Green: 4% (+1)https://t.co/rUj2aYPQjU pic.twitter.com/jrQxrlMeEg

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Scotland says no.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,458

Scotland says no.

"No thanks" wasn't it? (Officially, from Better Together - very polite those chaps and chapesses)
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,024
    Top Tech Tip:

Many of you will connect your laptops or iPads to the Internet via tethering. Have you ever noticed that that the Internet is slow this way?

That's because basically all mobile networks deliberately throttle tethering speeds. It means that while your phone might well have a 200 or 300 mb/s 5G connection, you are pulling 0.5mb/s or less through your laptop.

Which is absolutely infuriating and is done so Vodafone and EE can sell additional data connections.

If you are on Android, you can circumvent this, and get the full speed of your cellular connection for your iPad/laptop. Download an app called Every Proxy (and turn HTTP proxying on). You then need to toggle proxying on in Network Settings. And - tada - you now get 300mb/s on your laptop/tablet.

Sadly, I don't think this works on iPhones. (Although it works with my Macbook connected to my Android phone, obviously.)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,352
    "Things can only get better!"
  • Options

Surely, given this is a Scotland thread, "Things can only get batter"?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,719
    ...the most astonishing election result this century... so far!
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,043
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,816
    Selebian said:

Scotland says no.

"No thanks" wasn't it? (Officially, from Better Together - very polite those chaps and chapesses)
    Not when they were rioting ...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Top Tech Tip:

Many of you will connect your laptops or iPads to the Internet via tethering. Have you ever noticed that that the Internet is slow this way?

That's because basically all mobile networks deliberately throttle tethering speeds. It means that while your phone might well have a 200 or 300 mb/s 5G connection, you are pulling 0.5mb/s or less through your laptop.

Which is absolutely infuriating and is done so Vodafone and EE can sell additional data connections.

If you are on Android, you can circumvent this, and get the full speed of your cellular connection for your iPad/laptop. Download an app called Every Proxy (and turn HTTP proxying on). You then need to toggle proxying on in Network Settings. And - tada - you now get 300mb/s on your laptop/tablet.

Sadly, I don't think this works on iPhones. (Although it works with my Macbook connected to my Android phone, obviously.)

Interesting. Not so relevant out here in the stick where you have to sit by the window to get a flaky 4G service but I am sure it will be useful to others.

While I'm thinking of matters techie can someone remind me why it's worth paying for a VPN? I know it's been talked about a lot but what am I getting for the money?

(Take it as read that I am not particularly paranoid about my day to day internet traffic being interesting enough for anyone to want to snoop on out of idle curiosity but is there a security angle I should be worried about?)
  • Options

Surely, given this is a Scotland thread, "Things can only get batter"?
    Whereas for the Tories "Things can only get bitter" after the election?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,834
    While the Yes/No split for independence hasn't really changed in 10 years, other polling has shown that Brexit has had an impact.
    Remainers have moved towards Yes, but Leavers have moved towards No, making little net difference overall.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    rcs1000 said:

Top Tech Tip:

Have not noticed an issue with iPhone to Macbook. Just done a sanity test:
    Phone 4G 62.8 down
    Macbook tethered 58.1 down
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,671
    Two of the last 4 elections have contained big surprises. The two that didn't, really, were 2019 (everyone expected a comfortable Tory victory and they got one) and 2010, which surprised during the campaign but not on the election day itself. In 2015 we had 2: the Lib Dem wipeout and the SNP surge. In 2017 we had 1: the hung parliament.

Will there be big surprises this time? A significant SNP fallback in Scotland and a bad night for the Tories are already expected and no longer a surprise. Or am I spending too long looking at polls and reading PB? Would these still be a big surprise for the rest of the country?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,263
    On topic there could be some interesting dynamics at play with both the Tories and SNP tanking. Recent polls have the Tories retaining 41% of their 2019 vote, the SNP 66%. Labour pick up 20% of the SNP vote and 12% of the Tory vote - but I suspect that is central belt driven.

Outside the central belt? How does a plague on both your houses play when Labour don't participate in local politics?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Selebian said:

Scotland says no.

Not when they were rioting ...
    Officially polite. Off-duty, well anything goes :wink:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,651
    rcs1000 said:

Top Tech Tip:

Thank you for the advice. However, I have no idea what it means.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615
    Seattle Times - New Boeing whistleblower alleges serious structural flaws on 787 and 777 jets

by Dominic Gates ST aerospace reporter - A Boeing quality engineer went public Tuesday with damaging allegations that the jet-maker took manufacturing shortcuts to increase production rates that leave potentially serious structural flaws on its 787 and 777 widebody planes.

The Boeing engineer, Sam Salehpour, alleged that almost 1,000 787s and about 400 777s currently flying are at risk of premature fatigue damage and structural failure.

On Jan. 19, lawyers for Salehpour wrote a letter detailing his allegations to Mike Whitaker, head of the Federal Aviation Administration. The agency said Tuesday it is investigating the claims.

“We thoroughly investigate all safety reports,” FAA spokesperson Ian Gregor said.

Salehpour will speak next week at a Senate hearing convened by Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Conn., “to examine Boeing’s broken safety culture, focusing on firsthand accounts.”

Boeing said it is in discussions and will cooperate with Blumenthal’s committee and has “offered to provide documents, testimony, and technical briefings.”

Salehpour and his lawyers spoke in a virtual news conference Tuesday. His lawyers said documents will be presented at the Senate hearing to substantiate his allegations.

Boeing, facing rising public alarm about multiple safety issues, responded with a detailed rebuttal to the 787 allegations.

“We are fully confident in the 787 Dreamliner,” Boeing said. “These claims about the structural integrity of the 787 are inaccurate.”

Boeing said extensive testing and analysis, shared with the FAA, has shown that the issues raised by Salehpour “do not present any safety concerns and the aircraft will maintain its service life over several decades.”

As for allegations about the 777, Boeing said: “We are fully confident in the safety and durability of the 777 family. These claims are inaccurate.” . . . .
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Top Tech Tip:

Have not noticed an issue with iPhone to Macbook. Just done a sanity test:
    Phone 4G 62.8 down
    Macbook tethered 58.1 down
    Same here but is it maybe only on 5G that the throttling occurs?

In any event anything above 10 mb/s is plenty fast enough for me!
  • Options
    AugustusCarp2AugustusCarp2 Posts: 186

On topic there could be some interesting dynamics at play with both the Tories and SNP tanking. Recent polls have the Tories retaining 41% of their 2019 vote, the SNP 66%. Labour pick up 20% of the SNP vote and 12% of the Tory vote - but I suspect that is central belt driven.

Outside the central belt? How does a plague on both your houses play when Labour don't participate in local politics?

On a slightly related point, what are the Greens going to do in Scotland - or, more particularly, what are their voters going to do? Will they be standing aside for the Nationalists, as they do in Holyrood Constituency elections? If so, will their voters go with the Nationalists or veer towards Labour as they do in England when there's no Green candidate? If the latter, then I think it's reasonable to pencil in a few more Labour gains.

FWIW, outside the Central Belt, particularly in the north, the Lib Dems still have a presence - sub-optimal, I grant you, but it's still there, and could attract a few ex SNP voters. From an entertainment perspective, I regret that Ian Blackford is not standing for re-election, as I think the Lib Dems would have given him a bit of a tonking.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615
    Seattle Times - State GOP chair files 3 new initiatives to WA voters

OLYMPIA — The chair of the state’s Republican Party is attempting to get three more initiatives on Washington’s November ballot, with the latest round taking on controversial issues heading into the 2024 campaign season.

State GOP Chair Jim Walsh, also a state representative from Aberdeen, says the issues driving the new petitions have been the three most common topics — immigration, “squatters” on residential property and efforts to phase out natural gas — raised at recent GOP town hall meetings across the state.

“They’re real,” he said, denying they are efforts to stoke outrage to drive voter turnout.

The new measures, filed in late March, are among dozens of initiatives filed this year so far, and filing is merely an initial step in the process that takes significant work and money to qualify for the election. But if backers do succeed in getting enough valid signatures, they would join an already crowded ballot.

Not only is it a year with a presidential election, an open governor’s seat and a host of other races, but Washington voters will also be weighing in on three other initiatives backed by the state GOP. One would repeal the state’s capital gains tax, another would repeal its carbon market, and a third would effectively kill a long-term care insurance program by making the payroll tax that funds it optional. . . .
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

rcs1000 said:

Top Tech Tip:

Thank you for the advice. However, I have no idea what it means.
    Don't worry. In five years' time the 10 year olds will be laughing at the teenagers who are still toggling their proxies.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,953
    edited April 10
    Very off-topic, and at the risk of summoning Leon, but this new music generator is really quite impressive :

https://www.udio.com/songs/3S2x3pu4VpuuZVJQv4oGCP

https://www.udio.com/songs/8XhqYphEvDuYLbSbsAiksP

https://www.udio.com/songs/uUjAaApMbjmMqBoj6Z6dsd
  • Options
    I always felt that new dawn has broken phrase is ideally suited to regional and dialect variations:

A new dawn has broken, no?
    A new dawn has broken, innit?
    A new dawn has broken, n'est-ce pas?
    A new dawn has broken, aye?
    A new dawn has broken, so it has?
    A new dawn has broken, inshallah?
    I say, a new dawn has broken, what?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,048

Seattle Times - New Boeing whistleblower alleges serious structural flaws on 787 and 777 jets

(Snip)

As for allegations about the 777, Boeing said: “We are fully confident in the safety and durability of the 777 family. These claims are inaccurate.” . . . .

Boeing is in the same situation as the Conservative Party: it doesn't matter what they do; their previous mismanagement means that it will be looked on poorly. They could find an unlimited source of owls for everyone, and people would ask how many babies were killed for each owl.

And in both cases, the cynicism is deserved.
  • Options

(Snip)

Boeing is in the same situation as the Conservative Party: it doesn't matter what they do; their previous mismanagement means that it will be looked on poorly. They could find an unlimited source of owls for everyone, and people would ask how many babies were killed for each owl.

Or the post office. The flying post office.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,512
    JosiasJessop - Secretary Austin shouldn't have said that about not hitting Russian oil refineries -- but I don't think what he said was ever US policy.
  • Options

JosiasJessop - Secretary Austin shouldn't have said that about not hitting Russian oil refineries -- but I don't think what he said was ever US policy.

Then he needs slapping down, and US policy needs clarifying. For as sure as heck sounds like its the policy, without any clarification. Especially as the rumours were such *before* he said it.

Anyway, I hope you agree my comment wasn't unfounded.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    TimS said:

Two of the last 4 elections have contained big surprises. The two that didn't, really, were 2019 (everyone expected a comfortable Tory victory and they got one) and 2010, which surprised during the campaign but not on the election day itself. In 2015 we had 2: the Lib Dem wipeout and the SNP surge. In 2017 we had 1: the hung parliament.

Will there be big surprises this time? A significant SNP fallback in Scotland and a bad night for the Tories are already expected and no longer a surprise. Or am I spending too long looking at polls and reading PB? Would these still be a big surprise for the rest of the country?

The 2015 LibDem wipeout wasn't a surprise to those paying attention.
  • Options
    TimS said:

I always felt that new dawn has broken phrase is ideally suited to regional and dialect variations:

A new dawn has broken, no?
    A new dawn has broken, innit?
    A new dawn has broken, n'est-ce pas?
    A new dawn has broken, aye?
    A new dawn has broken, so it has?
    A new dawn has broken, inshallah?
    I say, a new dawn has broken, what?

A new dawin hae broke? Aye, richt.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472
    TimS said:

(Snip)

As I said the other day, if the next allegations are

1) The Post Office Investigators stole money* from the post masters deliberately, and at the behest of management.
    2) The Post Office grew genetically modified ninja assassins in vats to kill all the witnesses

No one would blink an eye now...

*Not just inaccurately accused and extorted money.
  • Options
    edited April 10

Carnyx said:

Slab candidate quite possiubly scratched by the look of it.

Time for Labour to get a new candidate, though.

No there there at that link. So what's the deal? Or was the deal?
    I think this is the story - I do not expect it to be the last with all the new candidates standing in the next GE

https://news.sky.com/story/scottish-labour-general-election-candidate-wilma-brown-suspended-13112316
    It is indeed.

This is also fo interest - given the increasing gap between Labour HQ under SKS and the pretend branch office in Scotland.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24242677.snp-anas-sarwar-noticeably-quiet-labour-nhs-privatisation-plans/
  • Options

TimS said:

(Snip)

1) The Post Office Investigators stole money* from the post masters deliberately, and at the behest of management.
    2) The Post Office grew genetically modified ninja assassins in vats to kill all the witnesses

Doesn't putting the money in the annual accounts, as if it was PO property somehow found down the back of the sofa, count? Or do I misunderstand?
  • Options

On a slightly related point, what are the Greens going to do in Scotland - or, more particularly, what are their voters going to do? Will they be standing aside for the Nationalists, as they do in Holyrood Constituency elections? If so, will their voters go with the Nationalists or veer towards Labour as they do in England when there's no Green candidate? If the latter, then I think it's reasonable to pencil in a few more Labour gains.

FWIW, outside the Central Belt, particularly in the north, the Lib Dems still have a presence - sub-optimal, I grant you, but it's still there, and could attract a few ex SNP voters. From an entertainment perspective, I regret that Ian Blackford is not standing for re-election, as I think the Lib Dems would have given him a bit of a tonking.
    Remember it's SKS/Reeves Labour we are talking about, not Corbyn Labour. On the whole, the (present) SNP tend to be much more left wing than SKS Labour and the sort of person who votes Green in Scotland will tend to go SNP the more SKS has a love-in with the Blue Wall. BBC Scotland will no doubt do their best, but it is an interesting question as you say.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,190

Please sir, please sir, is to benefit of the Alex Cole-Hamilton party?!

NO!
    (sotto voce) Stupid boy.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,514
    I've deleted a few comments to protect Carnyx's anonymity.

Sorry if the thread looks weird with the deletions.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,352
    ohnotnow said:

Very off-topic, and at the risk of summoning Leon, but this new music generator is really quite impressive :

You called? I answered

Check this one, it is even better. This is pretty much the end of human music as we know it. Live music will survive, but much of the rest will now be automated by AI. And this tech is only in Beta mode - you can only "make" 1200 songs a month

https://www.udio.com/songs/gajKkTvivm1nJx6oNQjFk1

Listen to the singing, and the flute trill at the end. Incredible. Made by AI in seconds

And this tech will only improve

The Singularity is coming

• Options

Then he needs slapping down, and US policy needs clarifying. For as sure as heck sounds like its the policy, without any clarification. Especially as the rumours were such *before* he said it.

Anyway, I hope you agree my comment wasn't unfounded.
    Absolutely agreed.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,834

Surprise victories for the LDs in the North East of Scotland?
  • Options

TimS said:

(Snip)

I'd blink an eye at #2.

It would imply a level of competence and ability that hasn't been seen very often so far.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    TimS said:

I remember lots of people being shocked by Blair's big win in 1997 despite it being flagged up by the polls both before and during the campaign. Suspect the same will happen with the Starmer landslide this time. Most members of the public just don't follow politics in any detail.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,014

TimS said:

(Snip)

Sir Anthony Hooper’s testimony was beyond incriminating!
  • Options
    AugustusCarp2AugustusCarp2 Posts: 186

Surprise victories for the LDs in the North East of Scotland?
    Perhaps not, but I could see a few places where no party gets over 30%.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

Check this one, it is even better. This is pretty much the end of human music as we know it. Live music will survive, but much of the rest will now be automated by AI. And this tech is only in Beta mode - you can only "make" 1200 songs a month

Listen to the singing, and the flute trill at the end. Incredible. Made by AI in seconds

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE'S LEON!!!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

I remember lots of people being shocked by Blair's big win in 1997 despite it being flagged up by the polls both before and during the campaign. Suspect the same will happen with the Starmer landslide this time. Most members of the public just don't follow politics in any detail.
    They'll also have weeks of Labour and Tories telling them it's going to be close and every vote will count.
  • Options

Thanks! Sorry, my fault entirely.

A couple at 5.11 and one at 5:05 still - BigG's posts are however still preserved elsewhere. Apolgies again.
  • Options

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

But only briefly, I'll be off again soon. I have been enjoying a significant boost in productivity since flouncing off and I want to continue with that. I also accept that I was indeed boring the tits off everyone with AI talk - apologies to the site (tho AI is the most interesting thing in the world right now, by miles). I've found my tribe on AI Reddit, there I can talk about it endlessly...

But look at the new music site. It is.... mind blowing. Imagine you are in the music industry, and then you see that. This is going to happen to all the arts, and indeed most professions. I was absolutely right to bang on, even if I was really really boring

• Options

Please sir, please sir, is to benefit of the Alex Cole-Hamilton party?!

NO!
    (sotto voce) Stupid boy.

Central belt? In the Cole-Hamilton context, that's a component of the cooling system of a Morningside Sonderpersonenkraftwagen.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

But only briefly, I'll be off again soon. I have been enjoying a significant boost in productivity since flouncing off and I want to continue with that. I also accept that I was indeed boring the tits off everyone with AI talk - apologies to the site (tho AI is the most interesting thing in the world right now, by miles). I've found my tribe on AI Reddit, there I can talk about it endlessly...

But look at the new music site. It is.... mind blowing. Imagine you are in the music industry, and then you see that. This is going to happen to all the arts, and indeed most professions. I was absolutely right to bang on, even if I was really really boring
    Some sort of AI type breakthrough to do with 'reasoning' was mentioned on R4 this morning. Can't quite recall the details.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,265
    Hamas is now described as a "movement" by the BBC
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

A couple at 5.11 and one at 5:05 still - BigG's posts are however still preserved elsewhere. Apolgies again.
    Thanks - still one3 at 505 but BigGs words immortalised for osterity anyway at 5.13
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

Do pop in to cheer up @Heathener

• Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

Some sort of AI type breakthrough to do with 'reasoning' was mentioned on R4 this morning. Can't quite recall the details.
    The 'details' are that someone wants to make a lot of money, and journalists don't ask hard questions.
  • Options

presumably in the medical sense
  • Options

Well, at least they haven't killed as many people as the IDF...
  • Options
    edited April 10
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

Yes, the FT

See, without me here to keep you up to speed you're all over the place on AI

Musk is probably right. We will get something like AGI by the end of next year. Claude 3 Opus is already really close. I doubt if 1% of humankind has any awareness of what's coming down the line
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    I saw in the Telegraph that Farage was offering to be Starmer's trade envoy to the US. I guess he won't be running for Reform then .... that is how bad it is for the right.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

The 'details' are that someone wants to make a lot of money, and journalists don't ask hard questions.
    Really? Do you really think this? Still?

Listen to that song I linked, or try this one

https://www.udio.com/songs/eY7xtug1dV6hbfCDhyHJua

Made in seconds. So that's the end of humans writing for Hollywood and the West End
  • Options

presumably in the medical sense
    If only..

"Here's some background on Haniyeh, the man widely considered Hamas's overall leader.

A prominent member of the movement in the late 1980s, Israel imprisoned Haniyeh for three years in 1989 as it cracked down on the first Palestinian uprising."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-middle-east-68777333?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6616b1923c0b7a6946ae4fbc&Haniyeh got news of his sons' deaths as he visited wounded Palestinians&2024-04-10T15:47:18.461Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:c3934d22-350f-424f-8ea4-eecb1d27d0d6&pinned_post_asset_id=6616b1923c0b7a6946ae4fbc&pinned_post_type=share

Nice bbc link...
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Thanks - still one3 at 505 but BigGs words immortalised for osterity anyway at 5.13
    Is that a first for me 'immortalised for osterity' !!!!!!!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,472
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

(Snip)

Doesn't putting the money in the annual accounts, as if it was PO property somehow found down the back of the sofa, count? Or do I misunderstand?
    They've been caught doing that, ages back.

I'm talking about stripped jerseys, bags marked "Swag" etc.

I am trying to think of something I wouldn't believe they are guilt of. Can't really.

Bet they were eating pineapple pizza in the boardroom.
  • Options

I saw in the Telegraph that Farage was offering to be Starmer's trade envoy to the US. I guess he won't be running for Reform then .... that is how bad it is for the right.

Sky were interviewing Tice today and got so impatient with him they cut him off and moved to another story
  • Options

Sky were interviewing Tice today and got so impatient with him they cut him off and moved to another story
    Theyre hardly fans as he works for a competitor news channel.
  • Options

Hamas have killed all of the innocent Palestinians they hid behind since their barbaric raid on Israel

Sunal Jazeera's spreadsheets might not agree
  • Options

His answer to the boats is to intercept them and take them back to France

Seems Reform want to take us out of the ECHR thereby making us an international pariah like Russia and Belarus, and also to prejudice the WF and GFA and ensure France will refuse permission for them to land in France

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,880

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

Who said his name into a mirror five times? WHO DID IT?
  • Options

Hamas have killed all of the innocent Palestinians they hid behind since their barbaric raid on Israel

The gallant, moral IDF have killed TWENTY-TWO times as many people as evil Hamas.

• Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

Yes, the FT

See, without me here to keep you up to speed you're all over the place on AI

Musk is probably right. We will get something like AGI by the end of next year. Claude 3 Opus is already really close. I doubt if 1% of humankind has any awareness of what's coming down the line
    That's right. It's coming back to me now. It was an FT story that the Today programme deemed important enough to mention. So the subject is getting a bit of traction clearly.
  • Options
    edited April 10
    https://www.thenational.scot/news/24245194.new-scottish-independence-poll-gives-yes-two-point-lead/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=100424

R&W polling, to compare with Yougov, also VI at Westminster and Holyrood. I did notice this:

"In Scotland, the UK Government has a net competency rating of -47, compared to -7 for the Scottish Government."
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 906
    edited April 10
    rcs1000 said:

Top Tech Tip:

Just use a VPN, problem solved.

Cloudflare 1.1.1.1 should also work.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

The gallant, moral IDF have killed TWENTY-TWO times as many people as evil Hamas.

According to Hamas
  • Options

Seems Reform want to take us out of the ECHR thereby making us an international pariah like Russia and Belarus, and also to prejudice the WF and GFA and ensure France will refuse permission for them to land in France

Yes because if we werent in the ECHR we'd be the same as Putin. Seriously ?

I really cant see how people can pursue this nonsense. And if youre worried about people not liking the UK believe me they dont whether youre in the ECHR or not .I get a completely different perspective with my continental colleagues if I say Im Irish rather than british.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,512
    edited April 10
    JosiasJessop - I agree that your comment wasn't entirely unfounded. (Even though the Austin story made Putin's pals very happy.)

But I don't think a public slapping down is appropriate, politically, because Austin spent much time in the hospital, earlier this year, and because he has a better natural tan than I do.

(He received much criticism for not being public about the hospital stay -- which he deserved.)
  • Options

You missed the point Hamas actions have led to all the deaths.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

I promise I will be off again soon. I only came on here to gloat about my fab AI predictions - and apologise for being a bit of a spammer

But that music making machine is INTENSE

I've got a good music journalist/poet friend who has been fiercely dismissive of all this, all AI stuff and AI art - he is quite angrily contemptuous. Today - because of that Udio folk song - he crumbled. "Jesus that does sound human. Shit" were his exact words

Mark the day
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

Could have been five different names tbf..
  • Options

According to Hamas
    I find his propagandising for an Islamist terror group quite unseemly
  • Options

I really cant see how people can pursue this nonsense. And if youre worried about people not liking the UK believe me they dont whether youre in the ECHR or not .I get a completely different perspective with my continental colleagues if I say Im Irish rather than british.
    Of course not, but we comply with out international law commitments and this action would have serious consequences for our relationship not only with Europe but also Ireland and the GFA

Indeed it would have many unintended consequences and certainly would not see the boats turned round and returned to France
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    edited April 10
    Carnyx said:

https://www.thenational.scot/news/24245194.new-scottish-independence-poll-gives-yes-two-point-lead/?ref=ebbn&nid=1457&u=f140ec39d500193051a33e140c12bd95&date=100424

R&W polling, to compare with Yougov, also VI at Westminster and Holyrood. I did notice this:

"In Scotland, the UK Government has a net competency rating of -47, compared to -7 for the Scottish Government."

Admirably loyal of the people of Scotland. I'd be interested if Wales had similar numbers, given people I suspect do not generally rate their governments very well.

(Of course each may well actually be more competent as well, I wouldn't know, but I would have doubts it is so much better it is worth 40%).
  • Options
    edited April 10

The moral high ground might be easier argued from those who have not suggested some of the October 7th victims were not innocent.

Legitimate criticisms of the IDF response would have more bite as a result.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,515

They can say it, and their saying it makes life a bit harder for the Conservatives. And having made play with "we don't care about international law" in recent years, the government will find it hard to explain why this isn't a goer.

On the other hand, Reform can say whatever they like; it's not going to happen.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,869

According to Hamas
    It’s not propaganda. Showing the reality re deaths .
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

And some proportion of those that do are focused on really improbable scenarios. Some relatives of mine are convinced Sunak will just cancel the next election, as if that is a simple thing to attempt.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

Admirably loyal of the people of Scotland. I'd be interested if Wales had similar numbers, given people I suspect do not generally rate their governments very well.

(Of course each may well actually be more competent as well, I wouldn't know, but I would have doubts it is so much better it is worth 40%).
    This is Redfield Wiltons Welsh polling

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-welsh-westminster-senedd-independence-referendum-voting-intention-18-february-2024/
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,473

I was half-listening to Radio 6 yesterday and some band were playing a live set - in between which they announced that they 'stood with the people of Ukraine and Palestine'. Granted this was some obscure band, and not explicit BBC opinion - but it passed entirely without comment, as in of course people would be on that side. I find it really weird how casually that sector of the media assume that Israel are the baddies and Palestine are the goodies a la Russia/Ukraine.
  • Options

Of course not, but we comply with out international law commitments and this action would have serious consequences for our relationship not only with Europe but also Ireland and the GFA

Indeed it would have many unintended consequences and certainly would not see the boats turned round and returned to France
    LOL joining the ECHR also had unintended consequences. Lots of laws donr make for a successful society.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

This is Redfield Wiltons Welsh polling

https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-welsh-westminster-senedd-independence-referendum-voting-intention-18-february-2024/
    Net -42 to -14, pretty similar then.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

My sense as a 63 year old retired Chartered Accountant is if you park the babble about the coming of a "new and superior lifeform" what you're left with is a leap in technology that will (eventually) make the world a better place.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

According to Hamas
    The numbers are made up by Hamas

And let's all hope that Hamas makes up most of the real number
  • Options

Those who seem to clamour to leave the ECHR seem to be given an easy time in interviews . When will the media do their job properly .
  • Options

nico679 said:

According to Hamas

What are the IDF numbers for Gazan dead? You’d think they’d want the ‘real’ figure to be out there.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

My sense as a 63 year old retired Chartered Accountant is if you park the babble about the coming of a "new and superior lifeform" what you're left with is a leap in technology that will (eventually) make the world a better place.
    you dont live near stafford do you ?
    Im looking for an accountant
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

lol, thanks

It is going to destroy the creative sector. Imagine an infinite variety of excellent iif not perfect music, novels, poetry, show tunes, dramas, movies, operas, everything. All available at the touch of a button, and for pennies (if anything), and in billions of varieties

How can they have an Oscar category for Best Music Score when we now know that machines can create superb soundtracks? What if AI MAKES the best soundtrack?

Why will kids learn to play musical instruments if AI means their chances of making it pay are reduced to near zero? Ditto novels, composing, designing, almost anything creative

How are you so unable to extrapolate this?
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,757
    edited April 10

Well done IDF then.

Armies aren't doing their job right if they don't kill as many people as the terrorists they're fighting do.

Who do you think killed more, the US and UK armies, or Al'Qaeda?
  • Options

nico679 said:

According to Hamas

Those figures are supported by organizations on the ground . And looking at the devastation hardly look like being inflated . That doesn’t include those who are buried in the rubble . Over half of the buildings in Gaza are either destroyed or uninhabitable.
  • Options
    Leon said:

viewcode said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

You called? I answered

I promise I will be off again soon. I only came on here to gloat about my fab AI predictions - and apologise for being a bit of a spammer

But that music making machine is INTENSE

I've got a good music journalist/poet friend who has been fiercely dismissive of all this, all AI stuff and AI art - he is quite angrily contemptuous. Today - because of that Udio folk song - he crumbled. "Jesus that does sound human. Shit" were his exact words

Mark the day
    Taking that Udio folk song as an example, it is clever but it's not actually very good is it?

Sure it will do away with many hotel lift musak composers but if that's representative it won't be making the top composers redundant. (I appreciate that folk song might be unrepresentative.)
  • Options
    nico679 said:

According to Hamas
    Its absolutely propaganda to try and pretend all deaths are equal.

An army fighting proportionately, trying to minimise civilian figures as the IDF rightly are, is not the same as a terrorist group killing as many civilians as they can.

If Hamas releases the hostages and lays down their weapons, the war is over.

If Israel lays down their weapons, Hamas would kill every last Israeli.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

According to Hamas

Those figures are supported by organizations on the ground . And looking at the devastation hardly look like being inflated . That doesn’t include those who are buried in the rubble . Over half of the buildings in Gaza are either destroyed or uninhabitable.
    Maybe Hamas should lay down their weapons then?

That's the price of war. A war Hamas chose.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

You just had to go and do it didn't you 🤦🏻‍♂️
This discussion has been closed.