Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Have I Got News For You – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,877

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

The chicken is a direct descendant of Tyrannosaurus Rex.
    Take care. They are biding their time.

Pedant mode - it's definitely NOT a direct descendant if a T Rex. Birds diverged way before T Rex time.
    You're very trusting.
    I'm not taking chances.
    Exactly. Go for the 100 chicken sized horses every time!
    I think it depends how coordinated they are. If they acted with one mind, they'd be very dangerous, but if not, easy enough to pick them off one at a time.
    Good point. Horses are herd animals, so might coordinate well in mass attacks.

Obviously the challenge is to fight them without weapons.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    edited April 4

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Who is the social media manager for Conservatives?

I mean the guy/girl is a unintentional comedy genius.

This one?

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1775882749921911191

One imagines Rishi's next royal audience might be frank. Perhaps bordering on direct.
    Bloody hell. Is that really not a parody account?
    Yes, here's the real poster:

Getting closer, but isn't the Corsa made in Spain? And surely should be Queen Camilla rather than the Queen of our hearts?
    Alive, made in America, that's a puppet, made in Europe, dead, closed, a football team, dead, Spanish car, shop. And the Hawks are older than God.
    On the actual CCHQ masterpiece...

...that's a Swiss-owned, Korean-built, Panamanian-registered container ship proving how world-beating the UK (nearly) is.
    What the actual fuck. The social media man is totally bananas. Can they really be this rubbish? Oh... They can.
    I seriously think there may be a Labour agent in CCHQ.
    Amusing as that would be, the truth is probably more pedestrian;

Anyone remotely competent left for a high paid job in public affairs years ago.

https://twitter.com/Samfr/status/1775977743781372195

(One of the other data pointing towards "this is worse than 1997". Then, there were some competent people around. This time, that's much less obvious. This also has implications for what happens in the rest of the decade.)
    Actually, being serious for a moment, if there was a Labour Party plant in CCHQ that would constitute a BIG political scandal.

(OTOH if it was just a Labour supporter who'd got through CCHQ vetting, that would constitute unsurprising Tory incompetence.)
    I'd be shocked if there were any in there who weren't Labour plants.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    DavidL said:

Absolutely incredible game but that must be it for ten Hag.

I think the problem is not merely the manager.

The entire culture at the club is rotten currently. Players just aren't proud to wear the shirt.

Even when Liverpool weren't playing well we had passionate players like Gerrard and Carragher who knew would give it their all and inspire the rest. United seem to be lacking that.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,503
    MJW said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

One imagines Rishi's next royal audience might be frank. Perhaps bordering on direct.

Getting closer, but isn't the Corsa made in Spain? And surely should be Queen Camilla rather than the Queen of our hearts?
    Alive, made in America, that's a puppet, made in Europe, dead, closed, a football team, dead, Spanish car, shop. And the Hawks are older than God.

...that's a Swiss-owned, Korean-built, Panamanian-registered container ship proving how world-beating the UK (nearly) is.
    What the actual fuck. The social media man is totally bananas. Can they really be this rubbish? Oh... They can.
    Its WAAAAAY better than that.

These Tory wazzocks genuinely think that what they are doing is brilliant. Fantastic cut through messaging to their voter base. Second Best country. Massive selling point.
    Except their voter base can barely use their hearing aids never mind log in to X.
    I do think the Tories have a real issue with the fact that the only people under 40 voting for them are genuine oddballs and not the brightest and best ones at that. I saw the other day that Sophie Corcoran chancer who had a grift going where she went on telly to say ludicrously right-wing things as a 'young person' is apparently working for them.

It's just the Darren Grimes tendency left in that pool of research/entry level jobs - very online, overpromoted as the only ones left, and not self aware enough to realise how odd/sad they look because they view any criticism as 'the libs having a tantrum' rather than finding it all horrifyingly lame.
    It's easy to laugh at it, but when people become disenchanted with a Labour government, and start looking for alternatives, they're the people waiting to step into the breach, and they're the people who will have the big right-wing money behind them, in the absence of anyone else.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    The gobsmacking detail from that excerpt is the two other MPs whose details were leaked and were subsequently contacted by the supposed honey potter then said as it were "here's some nude pics of me too"
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,036
    Time for a cones hotline.
    Glad to see hanging on for summat to turn up is working so well.
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,534
    In related news, Senior Conservative party officials worked on plans to hand over its entire membership database for a commercial venture that promised to make tens of millions of pounds, the Guardian can reveal.

Leaked documents show Tory executives discussed exploiting members’ personal data to build a mobile phone app that could track users’ locations and allow big brands to advertise to Conservative supporters. The party would take a cut of sales.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,681
    Foxy said:

FPT...

MJW said:

MJW said:

Endillion said:

Foxy said:

Endillion said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

I was skim reading the...... altercation............ between CorrectHorseBattery and Barty Roberts last night.

I must admit I'm somewhat in CHB's favour here.
    Israel has gone far to far with its response to 7th October. Their is no justification to destroying aid convoys and killing aid workers. And I don't believe them when they say it was an accident. It wasn't, and they know it.

Barty's point is that Hamas must be destroyed, which I think we will all agree on.
    No. We all don't.
    OK, a fair point.

I'll reconfirm.

Barty's point is that Hamas must be destroyed, which I think we all ( except @Dura_Ace ) agree on.
    If must means accepting Barty's half a million dead, then no, we can't.
    This is a statement taken out of context. On my original post I caveated that by questioning Bart's collateral value to achieve his aim. I was specific in that I last night asked Bart for numbers. He declined and simply retorted with "whatever it takes".
    Here's the context.

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/4736911/#Comment_4736911
    BartholomewRoberts
    Mexicanpete said:
    » show previous quotes
    1. Bollocks it is!
    2. At what cost in lives, give me a number (whatever it takes isn't a number).
    3. I said pushing bastards out of windows and the like. Have you never seen Munich?
    1. Yes it is.
    2. Whatever it takes. The death toll of the Iraq War was over a quarter of a million, and this is an order of magnitude more justified than that war, so lets say double that half a million? If that's what it takes?
    3. Real life isn't a James Bond movie. Pushing a few people out of windows won't end Hamas.
    Thank you. I had lost interest after "whatever it takes" and ignored the value figure and gone to bed.

Half a million is good to know. So we are at circa 10% down so far.

Life must be cheap on Merseyside.

Top marks for reading to the end.
    "Official" death toll (possibly exaggerated) is around 32,000, and of that, between a quarter and a half (depending on whether you believe Israel or Hamas - and potentially the difference is who counts as a terrorist and who doesn't) are Hamas members.

Presumably the half million was meant as civilians, and Hamas members do not count towards it.

So no, we are nowhere near "10% down so far" - more like 4%. And IDF operational efficiency is getting better as the war goes on - for example, there were no civilian deaths recorded during the recent Shifa hospital operation. And all the heavy bombing has been done for a while - you'll notice the death toll has remained fairly static for some time. There is no way the death toll ends up anywhere near half a million.

Considering the level of destruction of buildings and of social and health infrastructure that 32 000 deaths is likely to be a significant underestimate.
    Considering the identity of the people providing the number, it's likely to be a significant overestimate. And again, you need to deduct the terrorists, since Hamas is including them in the total.

The only thing I know for certain about the actual number of civilians dead, is you have no clue.
    As someone else has already posted, Hamas’ best recruiting sergeant ATM is Netanyahu!
    Yes and all very predictable, and the reason for the Hamas attack in the first place.

Israel of course had (and has) the right to defend itself when attacked. But that is different to it being wise or sensible to have acted as they have done. Just because you have a right to do something doesn't make it right to enforce it.
    The more interesting question is what would have been wise and sensible? Hamas' clear strategy was to put Israel in Zugzwang such that it only had some pretty terrible options. Either a war Hamas would try and ensure cost as many Palestinian lives as to break any international support or accept a terror state on your border with the express intent of wiping you out, with increasingly sophisticated military capabilities funded by another state that believes the same thing.

We know what's happening is horrific. But the deeper question is what different paths there are, and what trade-offs a) one can accept yourself and b) Israelis could or should accept.
    I think it's unhelpful to paint this in such stark either/or terms. Israel could be occupying Gaza militarily, while being more helpful on aid and less indiscriminate in blowing stuff up. Israel could (and should) stop trying to annex the West Bank bit by bit. Israel could kick politicians who favour ethnic cleansing of Gaza out of government. It's perfectly possible for Israel to respond strongly to Hamas without behaving as they are now.
    Much of this is true in terms of behaviour - particularly the West Bank and Ben Gvir. But it doesn't change the crude logic of the war - nor would it save vast numbers of lives.

Which is why it's not just the foul Israeli right that support the war but the general population who also want Netanyahu and his cronies (and will kick them out when get a vote) out for mismanaging things in the first place and continuing to.

If you replaced Netanyahu with Yair Lapid tomorrow there would not be an immediate ceasefire. Meanwhile, the West Bank will take *a long* time to sort out. Vital, but not part of the immediate Hamas-inspired crisis.

And it is important to put it in such stark terms because that is how the Israelis view it. As existential. Certainly after 7 October, they taken Hamas' rhetoric about wiping out Jews from the Middle East and that they'd do 7 October again and again quite literally and with justification. And for that matter Iran's and its intention to keep arming them.

Therefore *any* serious effort at peace that goes beyond grandstanding and Western politicians being able to feel good needs to take that into account and offer alternative options to Israel continuing until it has destroyed Hamas, and Hamas trying to ensure as many Palestinians as possible die before they are destroyed.
    So you're saying that the Israel/Palestine situation will be difficult to sort out? I think we knew that.

Israeli politics has shifted rightwards over the years, to a more pro-settler, pro-annexation, anti-2 state solution position. There's no reason why it can't shift back over coming years... but, sure, it will take years. Getting rid of (and preferably locking up) Bibi will help!

Western grandstanding is largely pointless, but diplomatic pressure from the West, specifically the US, does matter.
    I think the demographics of Israel point to an ever more radical position. Haredi have big families (hence why Liberal Israelis resent them being exempt from military service). Similarly the schools are controlled by the orthodox, so the children of secular Israelis get indoctrinated from a young age. This article from the New Yorker gives a picture of what is going on.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/letter-from-jerusalem/how-the-religious-right-transformed-israeli-education

So we have a self-radicalising state, and every sign of that accelerating. While secular liberal Israel still exists, it is being phased out. Its a mirror image of the self radicalisation of the Palestinians and other neighbours. The secular, nationalist PLO supplanted by Hamas for example.

It doesn't bode well for future peace from either side.

It’s not so much right wing as behaving like the other regimes in the locality.

After generations of Death To Israel, “Death To Them, back”
    Foxy said:

FPT @Mexicanpete

Dura_Ace said:

I was skim reading the...... altercation............ between CorrectHorseBattery and Barty Roberts last night.

I must admit I'm somewhat in CHB's favour here.
    Israel has gone far to far with its response to 7th October. Their is no justification to destroying aid convoys and killing aid workers. And I don't believe them when they say it was an accident. It wasn't, and they know it.

Barty's point is that Hamas must be destroyed, which I think we will all agree on.
    No. We all don't.
    OK, a fair point.

I'll reconfirm.

Barty's point is that Hamas must be destroyed, which I think we all ( except @Dura_Ace ) agree on.
    Talk is cheap, you say that Hamas must be destroyed but aren't willing to see anything actually done to see it done.

If you believe they must be destroyed, then whatever it takes is appropriate.

If you're not prepared to see whatever it takes done then self-evidently you don't actually believe they must be destroyed.
    Whatever it takes? Exterminate the civilian population of Gaza? Nuke Doha to take out the leadership?

Hamas is a terrorist group - it cannot and will not be destroyed by conventional military actions like the one the Israelis are currently undertaking.
    Why not?

Countless terrorist groups have been destroyed by conventional military actions down the years.
    Well lets see, the IRA? Islamic state? Hezbollah? Abu Sayyaf? Or to go a bit further back, Eoka? The FLN? Mau mau? The OAS? None of these were defeated by a conventional military campaign.
    The Tamil Tigers were defeated. Where are Tibet and South Vietnam on the map nowadays? Bangladesh won a war of independence from Pakistan.Things can be settled by military means.
    Surely in South Vietnam the VietCong were disbanded by victory not defeat?
    Mostly slaughtered in the Tet Offensive. Some say that was the plan. The North Vietnamese government was wary of the Viet Cong as a power base.

South Vietnam was defeated by the North Vietnamese Army (NVA)
  • Options
    edited April 4
    IanB2 said:

In related news, Senior Conservative party officials worked on plans to hand over its entire membership database for a commercial venture that promised to make tens of millions of pounds, the Guardian can reveal.

Leaked documents show Tory executives discussed exploiting members’ personal data to build a mobile phone app that could track users’ locations and allow big brands to advertise to Conservative supporters. The party would take a cut of sales.

Monetise that closet.
    It isn't big enough for all of us, sadly.
    And there's a fucking lion in the back of there. Even if it's Jesus or summat.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Considering there are something like 150 000 members, tens of millions of pounds sounds rather a high valuation, even if not quite Trump Social level.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,893

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Pedant mode - it's definitely NOT a direct descendant if a T Rex. Birds diverged way before T Rex time.
    You're very trusting.
    I'm not taking chances.
    I think it depends how coordinated they are. If they acted with one mind, they'd be very dangerous, but if not, easy enough to pick them off one at a time.
    Hey @bondegezou, don't worry! Me and my squad of ultimate Starmer fans will protect you! Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a Parliamentary constituency with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks, bar charts, leaflets...
    I think the threat is only hypothetical. (The real threat I face is being suffocated in my sleep by a large cat with little conception of personal space.)
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,867

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

And I assume the cameraman represents the BBC, which the Tories are trash-talking all the time.
  • Options
    edited April 4
    dixiedean said:

A Cones Hotline would be a political masterstroke compared to anything that is currently coming (!) from these priapric clowns.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,395

MJW said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

These Tory wazzocks genuinely think that what they are doing is brilliant. Fantastic cut through messaging to their voter base. Second Best country. Massive selling point.
    Except their voter base can barely use their hearing aids never mind log in to X.
    I do think the Tories have a real issue with the fact that the only people under 40 voting for them are genuine oddballs and not the brightest and best ones at that. I saw the other day that Sophie Corcoran chancer who had a grift going where she went on telly to say ludicrously right-wing things as a 'young person' is apparently working for them.

It's just the Darren Grimes tendency left in that pool of research/entry level jobs - very online, overpromoted as the only ones left, and not self aware enough to realise how odd/sad they look because they view any criticism as 'the libs having a tantrum' rather than finding it all horrifyingly lame.
    It's easy to laugh at it, but when people become disenchanted with a Labour government, and start looking for alternatives, they're the people waiting to step into the breach, and they're the people who will have the big right-wing money behind them, in the absence of anyone else.
    I dunno. Obviously Labour will come a cropper at some point, but I can imagine the Tory Party might look quite a different place by then. The smarter grown ups in the party know they need to change and come up with some kind of offer to attract younger people to restore its health. They just know the party can't take the medicine yet and its stuck winding down a failed period in office it can't really defend.

At some point they'll snap out of it and will work out how to get their intellectual energy back. And the oddballs will fall away because they're not terribly bright.

Though there's a slight fear I must admit that brains have become so content-addled politics is doomed to veer between the mad and bad as everyone's gone a bit crackers doubling down on flawed aspects of their belief.
  • Options
    Much nicer place without a certain trolling poster.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,491

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

And I assume the cameraman represents the BBC, which the Tories are trash-talking all the time.
    I think it's Christopher Nolan!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    MJW said:

MJW said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

I dunno. Obviously Labour will come a cropper at some point, but I can imagine the Tory Party might look quite a different place by then. The smarter grown ups in the party know they need to change and come up with some kind of offer to attract younger people to restore its health. They just know the party can't take the medicine yet and its stuck winding down a failed period in office it can't really defend.

At some point they'll snap out of it and will work out how to get their intellectual energy back. And the oddballs will fall away because they're not terribly bright.

Though there's a slight fear I must admit that brains have become so content-addled politics is doomed to veer between the mad and bad as everyone's gone a bit crackers doubling down on flawed aspects of their belief.
    Yawn. 'Everyone will come around to my way of thinking because clearly I'm so right.' Ok dear.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,968
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

A Cones Hotline would be a political masterstroke compared to anything that is currently coming (!) from these priapric clowns.
    I'm now wondering how much it would cost to send a traffic cone to Rwanda. Probably less than the cost of arranging the flight to Rwanda, middle-men, and the associated court cases due to badly constructed laws.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,031

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

The title is rather absurd. Is it claiming that we are more powerful than China or the USA?.

It reminds me of hearing football fans singing "we are by far the best team the world has ever seen!" while watching the League 2 playoffs, only without the irony.
    On the other hand, in their tweet the Tories claim The UK is as strong as ever 🇬🇧

As strong as it was through the 19th century? Right.
    Actually I think the UK is probably stronger than 19th century Britain. In a scifi war between 21st century Britain and 19th century Britain, I'd back 21st century Britain to win. We could nuke the shit out of 19th century Britain, bomb the shit out of it and so on and so forth.

The difference between 19th century and today isn't that we've gone backwards, its that the rest of the world has leapt that much more forwards.

Its 21st century China I wouldn't want to fight, not 19th century Britain.
    Would you rather fight a horse sized chicken or a hundred chicken sized horses?
    A horse size chicken marinated in peri peri sauce.

Most immense Nando's ever.
    Is it vegan??
    I prefer to eat vegan chickens over carnivorous chickens yes.

Animal-based food is good, corn-fed chicken, grass-fed beef ...
    Chickens are naturally omnivorous. Just watch them.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,074
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

The title is rather absurd. Is it claiming that we are more powerful than China or the USA?.

It reminds me of hearing football fans singing "we are by far the best team the world has ever seen!" while watching the League 2 playoffs, only without the irony.
    On the other hand, in their tweet the Tories claim The UK is as strong as ever 🇬🇧

As strong as it was through the 19th century? Right.
    Actually I think the UK is probably stronger than 19th century Britain. In a scifi war between 21st century Britain and 19th century Britain, I'd back 21st century Britain to win. We could nuke the shit out of 19th century Britain, bomb the shit out of it and so on and so forth.

The difference between 19th century and today isn't that we've gone backwards, its that the rest of the world has leapt that much more forwards.

Its 21st century China I wouldn't want to fight, not 19th century Britain.
    Would you rather fight a horse sized chicken or a hundred chicken sized horses?
    A horse size chicken marinated in peri peri sauce.

Most immense Nando's ever.
    Is it vegan??
    I prefer to eat vegan chickens over carnivorous chickens yes.

Animal-based food is good, corn-fed chicken, grass-fed beef ...
    Chickens are naturally omnivorous. Just watch them.
    Just don't let them get between you and the door...
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,614
    I've just shown Mrs Al the CCHQ tweet claiming how great Britain is. She took one look at the image and noted that a) it was like a kid's scrapbook, and b) no representation of women at all - e.g. why not the England women's football team, who have actually won something?
    She then threw up with disgust.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

I'm now wondering how much it would cost to send a traffic cone to Rwanda. Probably less than the cost of arranging the flight to Rwanda, middle-men, and the associated court cases due to badly constructed laws.
    Perhaps sending Wragg to Rwanda would have been better.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,957
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You're very trusting.
    I'm not taking chances.
    But what if you had a very powerful gun with just one bullet ?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

It's not much of a 'honey trap' to have :

Q. Will you send me a d*ck pic and other compromising material?
    A. Yes!

'Thick as mince trap', possibly.
    GCHQ should be doing things like this as a wake-up call to MPs that they need to take their own security seriously and not to make things easy for people looking to blackmail them.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,146
    Israel has now killed over 200 humanitarian workers during its war on Gaza.

https://www.rescue.org/eu/press-release/gaza-continuous-israeli-attacks-aid-workers-are-severely-hampering-life-saving-aid

What a trash country.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878

MJW said:

MJW said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

Yawn. 'Everyone will come around to my way of thinking because clearly I'm so right.' Ok dear.
    Sorry, isn't that exactly your playbook? Truss was right, Truss was right, Truss was right...
  • Options
    WillG said:

https://www.rescue.org/eu/press-release/gaza-continuous-israeli-attacks-aid-workers-are-severely-hampering-life-saving-aid

What a trash country.

Just “accidents”. They are scum.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You're very trusting.
    I'm not taking chances.
    Good point. Horses are herd animals, so might coordinate well in mass attacks.

Obviously the challenge is to fight them without weapons.
    To make horses fall over, all I need to do is bet on them.
    I am very clumsy though
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,683

MJW said:

MJW said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

Sorry, isn't that exactly your playbook? Truss was right, Truss was right, Truss was right...
    Well, in one sense anyway. AND at least 3X more than you (and I) generally like. (Unlike Luckyguy).
  • Options
    Iran rumoured to attack Israel
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

You're very trusting.
    I'm not taking chances.
    But what if you had a very powerful gun with just one bullet ?
    The challenge is with no weapons. You have to fight them hand to hand. Or hand to tiny hoof or hand to giant beak. You get the picture.
  • Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 806
    Ignoring the ethics of Israel's actions, from a purely realpolitik standpoint I think they need to pause and consider if they are acting appropriately.

Israel is ultimately dependent on the goodwill of the United States in particular, and other western countries more generally, for financial and military support. They are a strong but ultimately small nation surrounded by potential foes. And they understand this - hence their reaction to October 7th.

But the United States government has its own political considerations, ones which don't necessarily involve continuing to send arms to a country being apparently careless in killing civilians and aid workers. The Gaza war may be popular in Israel, but it's not in the US and certainly not in the centre and left of the US electorate that Biden is focussed.

It's a long way of saying the Israeli government should recognise it doesn't exist in a vacuum and perhaps if it's strongest military ally suggests exercising restraint, maybe it's time to listen. Losing the support of allies has a cost too.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,395

MJW said:

MJW said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

Not about my way of thinking. There are people I disagree with profoundly who are clearly extremely smart individuals. And people I am generally on the same side as who are total dingbats. Fashions also change as people kick back at things (as is happening now) - meaning one side of politics often attracts deeper thinkers at one time or another.

The Tories as reconstructed could be quite right-wing. The problem for them at the moment though is that they have royally blotted their copybook so badly with a generation or two of voters so that even those who should be in their wheelhouse are repulsed. And all that's really left among those of an age that should be sparking the party's energy are those who pay far too much attention to America-brained online oddness and it shows.

Come on. These guys who've read a few Ayn Rand tidbits on BrainyQuotes and think it's a good idea to attack London and Birmingham as rancid hellholes when they are the government, then days later put out a bizarre and ludicrously sanguine graphic saying everything's great (well, 2nd best at least) are not the brightest and best politics has to offer, are they?
  • Options
    Ukrainian UAV attacks in Rostov (possibly against an airbase) and in Kursk tonight.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,064
    WillG said:

What a trash country.

Your assumption that they have all been killed by Israel and none killed by Hamas is more revealing of you.
  • Options

WillG said:

What a trash country.

Your assumption that they have all been killed by Israel and none killed by Hamas is more revealing of you.
    Israelis are the ones raining down ordnance on Gaza.
  • Options
    Has there ever been a more man child journalist than Harry Cole?
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

Perhaps they were seconded from the social media team at Kensington Palace after the Photoshop fiasco a few weeks ago.

(In which case, it’d be the most botched social media reassignment since, well, Princess Charlotte’s hand in said Photoshop fiasco a few weeks ago.)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,195
    Muesli said:

viewcode said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

This one?

Perhaps they were seconded from the social media team at Kensington Palace after the Photoshop fiasco a few weeks ago.

(In which case, it’d be the most botched social media reassignment since, well, Princess Charlotte’s hand in said Photoshop fiasco a few weeks ago.)
    Kate herself took responsibility for that, which can only mean…
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    The Tory Party is an embarrassment to the nation. How has one of the Great Parties of State fallen so low?
  • Options

WillG said:

What a trash country.

WillG said:

What a trash country.

You think Hamas are all quietly sitting around waiting for a ceasefire? It's this kind of stupidity that I despair of. They're a genocidal organisation with no regard for human life. They deliberately place themselves in areas where civilians and yes aid workers can be used as human shields. From their point of view it makes perfect sense.
  • Options
    edited April 4

DavidL said:

The entire culture at the club is rotten currently. Players just aren't proud to wear the shirt.

Even when Liverpool weren't playing well we had passionate players like Gerrard and Carragher who knew would give it their all and inspire the rest. United seem to be lacking that.
    Could of bang-average has-been clubs share seven goals in a game most people forgot was on. Who cares?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,050
    Surely a by-election in Hazel Grove is a formality?
  • Options
    edited April 4
    I would like to add that I am very concerned about a possible humanitarian disaster in Gaza. But when one considers US actions in Fallujah or heaven forbid Russia in Aleppo, why does Israel provoke such singular distaste?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Could of bang-average has-been clubs share seven goals in a game most people forgot was on. Who cares?
    All the people watching and happy to talk about it before you decided to come along and complain about it. Plus, also, a hat-trick from Cole Palmer.
  • Options

WillG said:

What a trash country.

WillG said:

What a trash country.

You think Hamas are all quietly sitting around waiting for a ceasefire? It's this kind of stupidity that I despair of. They're a genocidal organisation with no regard for human life.
    No, that's the IDF. 33,000 dead and counting...
  • Options

DavidL said:

All the people watching and happy to talk about it before you decided to come along and complain about it. Plus, also, a hat-trick from Cole Palmer.
    I would have been vaguely entertained by it had I watched it. Amazing scoreline. But my point surrounds the endless dreary speculation about Chelsea and Utd. They’ve had their time. Get over it. It bores the socks off most fans. See also: “who is the next Liverpool manager going to be?”
  • Options

I would like to add that I am very concerned about a possible humanitarian disaster in Gaza. But when one considers US actions in Fallujah or heaven forbid Russia in Aleppo, why does Israel provoke such singular distaste?

Well, antisemitism, obviously.

But there's also a thing about the pure noble suffering of a victim which is kinda ruined if said victim decides they aren't going to be a victim anymore and starts beating seven shades of shit out of anyone who messes with them. And the Jewish transformation from victims of centuries of persecution, reaching a climax with the Holocaust, followed just 3 years later by the establishment of the State of Israel, and then victories in every war launched against them, is that sort of transformation taken to an extreme level.
  • Options

WillG said:

What a trash country.

WillG said:

What a trash country.

You think Hamas are all quietly sitting around waiting for a ceasefire? It's this kind of stupidity that I despair of. They're a genocidal organisation with no regard for human life.
    Yawn. No-one knows how many dead there are. And no distinction is made between civilians and Hamas fighters. Israel claims to have killed 12,000. You don't have to believe their numbers. But then why accept Hamas's figures?
  • Options

WillG said:

What a trash country.

WillG said:

What a trash country.

Yawn. No-one knows how many dead there are. And no distinction is made between civilians and Hamas fighters. Israel claims to have killed 12,000. You don't have to believe their numbers. But then why accept Hamas's figures?
    The IDF have killed many times more people than Hamas have.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I would have been vaguely entertained by it had I watched it. Amazing scoreline. But my point surrounds the endless dreary speculation about Chelsea and Utd. They’ve had their time. Get over it. It bores the socks off most fans. See also: “who is the next Liverpool manager going to be?”
    I watched almost every game in Euro 2020 (2021), and my conclusion is that most games of football are quite fun, but talking about them afterwards isn't why they are fun.

Football on TV could do with having a rethink with what to do with the half-time interval for example. Tom & Jerry cartoons might be better.
  • Options
    edited April 4

Ukrainian UAV attacks in Rostov (possibly against an airbase) and in Kursk tonight.

Apparently there is satellite imagery of the Morozovsk military airbase in Rostov from earlier in April that shows about 10% of Russia's remaining Su-34 and Su-35 aircraft at the airbase. Hopefully a whole bunch of them will have been wrecked tonight.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I watched almost every game in Euro 2020 (2021), and my conclusion is that most games of football are quite fun, but talking about them afterwards isn't why they are fun.

Football on TV could do with having a rethink with what to do with the half-time interval for example. Tom & Jerry cartoons might be better.
    Or just play replays of the goals, but go back further in the game to show and analyse how the goal was created. Usually it’s just two-second clips and then lots of inane bantz.
  • Options

"Possible"? They are literally starving innocent women and children to death.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    The other thing that occurs to me about the MPs sending explicit photos is that, if they're prepared to send such photos to a phone number they've not confirmed before, then how many other people have they decided it's appropriate to send these photos to?
  • Options

DavidL said:

ITV and C4 just have two commercial breaks, thus reducing nattering time!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,143
    Andy_JS said:

Surely a by-election in Hazel Grove is a formality?

I'm now thinking the General Election result in Hazel Grove will be a formality.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I enjoy good analysis of the games, showing tactical decisions and how they played out. But you need people like Alan Hansen, Gary Neville or Thierry Henry that are good at understanding and explaining it.
  • Options

WillG said:

What a trash country.

WillG said:

What a trash country.

The IDF have killed many times more people than Hamas have.
    Israel just killed seven food aid workers in three separate surgical strikes at three separate times. You can literally see the precision missile impact holes right in the roof of the cars. The whataboutism around Hamas every time anyone tries to hold Israel accountable is despicable.

And these Israel shills always dodge the ongoing settler colonialism in the West Bank, the settlers constant KKK-style actions against Arab communities, and the fact the Israeli government constantly arms them.
  • Options
    Something I've thought a bit about, was there a leader the Tories could have chosen who would have been able to re-ignite the divide between leave and remain as Johnson managed to do in 2019? Or has that ship long since sailed?
  • Options

Something I've thought a bit about, was there a leader the Tories could have chosen who would have been able to re-ignite the divide between leave and remain as Johnson managed to do in 2019? Or has that ship long since sailed?

Once Brexit Got Done that race was run - unless Labour were to reopen the wound by seeking to take Britain back in.
  • Options
    "Suella Braverman should 'immediately' have the whip removed | Sir Alan Duncan"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SeF0DegwEg
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,074
    Andy_JS said:

Oh God what has she done now?
  • Options
    edited April 5
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Something she said about Israel. But Duncan has also called Jenrick, Gove, Dowden, Tugendhat, Patel extremists in this video for saying the settlements are illegal. Extraordinary stuff.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Something she said about Israel. But Duncan has also called Jenrick, Gove, Dowden, Tugendhat, Patel extremists in this video for saying the settlements are illegal. Extraordinary stuff.
    You have it the opposite way round. He said they were extremists for believing the settlements were NOT illegal.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

You have it the opposite way round. He said they were extremists for believing the settlements were NOT illegal.
    Apologies.
This discussion has been closed.