Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We may need to revise our summer plans – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    isam said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

It is time to accept that privatisation of utilities and the railways has been an unmitigated disaster.

Depends whether you class telecoms as a utility? That has been a success IMO.

Energy FAIL
    Rail FAIL
    Water MASSIVE FAIL
    Telecoms SUCCESS

...is my scorecard.
    I don't have an inherent fervour for nationalisation, so as a blanket policy for anything I'm not in favour. But water and energy? People need to work much harder to persuade me just how good we apparently have it.
    Water has been a massive success
    Come on BR. Water is a disaster.

Anyway, let’s get back on topic?
    Water is the main privatisation that I feel was pointless. What innovation is possible in water supply?
    Plenty.

If you discharge you get fined.

If you get fined you lose money.

Therefore there's a profit motive to not discharge, to not get fined.

Innovation.

Water levels improved dramatically post-privatisation. Rivers and beaches when water was nationalised were far, far, worse. This is an objective fact.
    The government fines itself all the time. This should happen more.

I agree that pollution was worse in ye olden days, and the current figures might have more to do with measurement than an actual increase. There are also problems with increased building and the need for improved facilities and investment to cope - which is out of the water companies' hands.

But I don't see that these improvements could not have occurred in a nationalised system - indeed, water supply improved massively whilst nationalised. It's complex.
    Either way there is plenty of scope for both innovation and accountability with a privatised utility,.
    The good thing is that there will be a long exile in the political wilderness for these kinds of views (in this country).

Most of the rest of the country know the country is a shambles at the moment and we hold utility companies up as examples of the mess.
    So you claim, yet not a single person refutes the basic fact that the waterways are leaps and bounds better than they were pre-privatisation.
    I do and so does everyone I know. They are a thousand times worse.

They are in atrocious state now. Have you actually talked to anyone in the EA? Or surfers? (See for example, Surfers Against Sewage)

By the way, do you use trains? I do every week, often multiple times. Another example of a complete shambles at present. No BR wasn’t brilliant but the point is that after 14 years of Conservative Government these utilities should all be soooooooooooooooo much better.

There are no excuses left for them.
    They are not. We have only been measuring these kind of incidents for the last few years. Thirty years ago rivers like the Thames were dead zones, hardly and fish etc. Vastly improved now.
    Yes we have a specific problem, partly related to climate change, partly to poorly built new housing developments and, whisper it quietly, all those tarmacked over drives.
    Plus intense agriculture. The Wye is very much poisoned by chicken farms
    Because we all love cheap chicken.
    Because we all need to eat.
    Whatever happened to the chlorinated chicken? Have I been eating it? It was all remainers talked about for around 18 months
    "There was me, that is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel, and my three droogs, that is Priti, Govey, and Dom, and we sat in the Kensington Milkbar trying to make up our Raab-oodocks what to do with the evening. The Kensington Milkbar sold Milk-plus, milk plus GM Soya or Corn Syrup or Chlorinated Chicken, which is what we were drinking. This would sharpen you up and make you ready for a bit of the old No-Deal Brexit."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    isam said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

It is time to accept that privatisation of utilities and the railways has been an unmitigated disaster.

Energy FAIL
    Rail FAIL
    Water MASSIVE FAIL
    Telecoms SUCCESS

...is my scorecard.
    I don't have an inherent fervour for nationalisation, so as a blanket policy for anything I'm not in favour. But water and energy? People need to work much harder to persuade me just how good we apparently have it.

Water is the main privatisation that I feel was pointless. What innovation is possible in water supply?
    Plenty.

Innovation.

Water levels improved dramatically post-privatisation. Rivers and beaches when water was nationalised were far, far, worse. This is an objective fact.

I agree that pollution was worse in ye olden days, and the current figures might have more to do with measurement than an actual increase. There are also problems with increased building and the need for improved facilities and investment to cope - which is out of the water companies' hands.

But I don't see that these improvements could not have occurred in a nationalised system - indeed, water supply improved massively whilst nationalised. It's complex.
    Either way there is plenty of scope for both innovation and accountability with a privatised utility,.
    The good thing is that there will be a long exile in the political wilderness for these kinds of views (in this country).

Most of the rest of the country know the country is a shambles at the moment and we hold utility companies up as examples of the mess.
    So you claim, yet not a single person refutes the basic fact that the waterways are leaps and bounds better than they were pre-privatisation.

They are in atrocious state now. Have you actually talked to anyone in the EA? Or surfers? (See for example, Surfers Against Sewage)

By the way, do you use trains? I do every week, often multiple times. Another example of a complete shambles at present. No BR wasn’t brilliant but the point is that after 14 years of Conservative Government these utilities should all be soooooooooooooooo much better.

They are not. We have only been measuring these kind of incidents for the last few years. Thirty years ago rivers like the Thames were dead zones, hardly and fish etc. Vastly improved now.
    Yes we have a specific problem, partly related to climate change, partly to poorly built new housing developments and, whisper it quietly, all those tarmacked over drives.
    Whatever happened to the chlorinated chicken? Have I been eating it? It was all remainers talked about for around 18 months
    As there is no free trade agreement with the US, chicken imports to the UK from the US are still subject to tariffs. And therefore are not competitive.

Hence no chlorinated chicken.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

Hearing the rain had finally stopped, I took the opportunity to take the dog out for a pee...

Neither of us were prepared for it to be snowing HARD!

Only one of you was squatting naked though.

I hope…
    I sometimes think that dogs lives must be spent mostly thinking "Need a poo, not allowed a poo. .... Need a poo, not allowed a poo. ... Need a...."
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Foxy said:

I'm probably naïve, but I always thought the whole point and justification of privatisation was to encourage efficiency and improve quality through competition between competing suppliers in a free, capitalist market.

I have no choice but to get my water through Southern Water.

I fear you are going to be subject to more rightsplaining from the PB Libertarians. Watch out!
    Time to revisit the town taken over by Libertarians then bears in New Hampshire.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/21534416/free-state-project-new-hampshire-libertarians-matthew-hongoltz-hetling
    Ha! That’s a superb read. Extraordinary story! Thanks.
  • Options

ajb said:

There is no reason that administrators or liquidators can't be called in, but with the administrator/liquidator under instructions that continuity of service comes first and the creditors come second.

I think that's what is supposed to happen, but if none of the other water companies want to take on the obligation (even after the bondholders are wiped out), or if this is precluded for competition reasons, then the government would have to recapitalise Thames Water, or set up a new water company from scratch to take the assets.
    A new company from scratch would take the assets, not the liabilities.

And there's little reason why private firms couldn't do that, not just a state firm.

And there's also no reason the state couldn't get the assets for cheap, burn the creditors, then float the new firm and make a profit on that too restoring the profit motive on following the regulations while wiping out the liabilities.

The point is there should be no firm too big to fail. Big firms can fail and they need to know they can fail too, if you want to have a healthy economy. If Thames fails, then tough shit for their creditors, they're piss out of luck.
    Iridium and OneWeb are classic examples of investors and debtors loses their shirts, business continues without missing a step.
    Thames Water is such an un-tiktok-friendly name. Baroness-Mone-Water sounds so much more profitable consumer-friendly.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Energy FAIL
    Rail FAIL
    Water MASSIVE FAIL
    Telecoms SUCCESS

...is my scorecard.

Plenty.

Innovation.

As there is no free trade agreement with the US, chicken imports to the UK from the US are still subject to tariffs. And therefore are not competitive.

Praise the Lord!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Energy FAIL
    Rail FAIL
    Water MASSIVE FAIL
    Telecoms SUCCESS

...is my scorecard.

Plenty.

Innovation.

They just need to re-brand it as 'Well brined". Problem solved.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,112
    edited March 27
    Carnyx said:

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Even if Sunak does pull the trigger earlier than currently expected I suspect he won’t have polling day on the first Thursday of June which has often been a favoured day for summer elections as it would be a gift for tabloid headline writers.

You mean D-Day?
    Yup.
    Aside from fun for the tabloid headline writers the 80th anniversary of D-Day is probably not a good day to hold an election.
    Can't help thinking whether Unternehmen Seelöwe might be channelled instead.
    Battle of the Bilge (vapid or otherwise); one last throw of the dice, enemy air cover interrupted by Scotch mist emanating from GB News & the like, one’s stoßtruppen dressed in the uniforms/policies of the enemy and the odd atrocity throw in.
    It’ll be great.

Though that would mean Dec-Jan I guess.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    edited March 27
    Trent said:

And this.
    Many parents share a growing sense of anger that super-rich and internationally powerful Big Tech has been given a free pass to push an unsafe and addictive product on our children. At a recent speech in the House of Lords, US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy told parliamentarians that if social media was a pharmaceutical drug, it would be withdrawn for safety reasons.

Many parents wet themselves if their child doesn't have a phone.
    Resistance to no phones in schools is largely anxious parent driven.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 3,988
    dixiedean said:

Trent said:

And this.
    Many parents share a growing sense of anger that super-rich and internationally powerful Big Tech has been given a free pass to push an unsafe and addictive product on our children. At a recent speech in the House of Lords, US Surgeon General Vivek Murthy told parliamentarians that if social media was a pharmaceutical drug, it would be withdrawn for safety reasons.

Most parents wet themselves if their child doesn't have a phone.
    Don’t they have the school’s phone number?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Trent said:

And this.

Many parents wet themselves if their child doesn't have a phone.
    Smart watches?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Trent said:

And this.

In fairness, at my son’s school they are utterly hopeless at passing on messages. I just text him and it pops up on his watch (no phones allowed in glass). Works well enough
  • Options
    Without looking it up.

What constituency declared first in the 1992, 1997 and 2005 elections?

The answer is alliterative.

(I got it spot on in my quiz)
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Energy FAIL
    Rail FAIL
    Water MASSIVE FAIL
    Telecoms SUCCESS

...is my scorecard.

Plenty.

Innovation.

Turns out we really were at the back of the queue!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Energy FAIL
    Rail FAIL
    Water MASSIVE FAIL
    Telecoms SUCCESS

...is my scorecard.

Plenty.

Innovation.

Turns out we really were at the back of the queue!
    Which FTAs has the US signed ahead of us?
  • Options

Without looking it up.

Sunderland South
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 906
    edited March 27
    BT and British Airways are the only successful privatisations. And BT only in the last five years.

No reason either way we could not have retained a minority share in both.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,445

BT and British Airways are the only successful privatisations. And BT only in the last five years.

That's two more than successful nationalisations.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,642
    I have full declaration lists going back to 1979 IIRC.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580
    Nigelb said:

Trent said:

rcs1000 said:

Trying to work out whether June or July is the one to go for. Both are at 14 on BX so offer some value.

He likely calls it when he gets a flight off the ground (if) so I reckon July
    The only flight he's bothered about is his own to LAX once he's out of Number 10.
    SFO. We don’t want his pastiche tech-bro nonsense in SoCal
    Sorry to be a pendant, but technically San Francisco is in Southern California.
    Only in fact, not in spirit
    Trust me when ive been to frisco they always describe themselves as northern california.
    No one calls it that.
    Except for clueless idiots . . . but do NOT get "Trent" all "Stoke"d up!
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,580

Without looking it up.

Sunderland South
    Fearless forecast - PB's next Putin-Bot will be dubbed "Sutherland".
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,050

Rolls Royce
    BP
    British Gas
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,562

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

rcs1000 said:

Trying to work out whether June or July is the one to go for. Both are at 14 on BX so offer some value.

The only flight he's bothered about is his own to LAX once he's out of Number 10.
    Trust me when ive been to frisco they always describe themselves as northern california.
    No one calls it that.
    I still want my river back.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,406

We have a fish & chip shop in Cowley & one near St Andrew’s Park, but we don’t in Uxbridge Town Centre.

That’s why I’m launching a campaign to get us a fish & chip shop in Uxbridge Town Centre, but I need your support to do it.

https://twitter.com/tuckwell_steve/status/1772955631240036725

The newly-elected MP for Uxbridge, Steve Tuckwell, shows his support for free-market economics against the faceless bureaucrats of the British National Chippy Corporation. I don't understand how this is even supposed to work, and there must be easier ways to get your face in the local rag.

Link to petition:
    https://www.steve-tuckwell.uk/campaigns/do-you-want-chippy-uxbridge

Uxbridge Tory MP who started petition for local fish and chip shop voted against one in 2019
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/tory-mp-steve-tuckwell-uxbridge-fish-and-chip-shop-viral-video-hypocrisy-b1148140.html
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,406

Something we could learn from countries like Germany with government stakes in private companies. Over here, it is all or nothing, the unthinking dogma of both sides.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

Rolls Royce
    BP
    British Gas
    British Gas in profitability terms maybe, but for the consumer?

BP, playing Devil's advocate, all those dividends could pay for the imaginary 40 new hospitals, over and over again.

Rolls Royce is a bit of a Red Herring as it was only nationalised in order to save the company, a bit like Thames Water.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

dixiedean said:

Trent said:

And this.

In fairness, at my son’s school they are utterly hopeless at passing on messages. I just text him and it pops up on his watch (no phones allowed in glass). Works well enough
    How do you see the messages?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Rolls Royce
    BP
    British Gas

BP, playing Devil's advocate, all those dividends could pay for the imaginary 40 new hospitals, over and over again.

Rolls Royce is a bit of a Red Herring as it was only nationalised in order to save the company, a bit like Thames Water.
    Whilst your pensioners get their money from what if not BP dividends?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

Rolls Royce
    BP
    British Gas

Whilst your pensioners get their money from what if not BP dividends?
    Whatever the fund invested in, instead.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Trent said:

rcs1000 said:

No one calls it that.
    I still want my river back.
    Actually named after the RR jet engine, as he produces so much hot air.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265

Something we could learn from countries like Germany with government stakes in private companies. Over here, it is all or nothing, the unthinking dogma of both sides.
    Spot on.

Dogma is exactly the right word. Unthinking dogma is even worse.

I didn’t always agree with Margaret Thatcher. For example, her brilliant and prophetic 1989 speech on climate change to the UN was years, decades even, ahead of its time but she marred it imho by stating that the answer to curbing climate change was, er, to leave it to the private sector. No no no, Mrs T.

At least, though, she was an intelligent dogmatist who thought it through. It’s when you come across boneheads, who exist on both sides as you say, that it becomes exasperating. And damaging.