Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Meet the parents – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    ….
  • Options

So only two more letters are needed to trigger a confidence vote in Sunak.

Will Mrs Brady Old Lady send one to himself?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242

Will Mrs Brady Old Lady send one to himself?
    Sounds like the write course of action.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

"Meghan Markle announces Netflix show about how hard it's been dealing with Kate Middletons cancer diagnosis"

It's all about MEEEEEEEEE....

https://babylonbee.com/news/meghan-markle-announces-netflix-show-about-how-hard-its-been-dealing-with-kate-middletons-cancer-diagnosis?fbclid=IwAR1lCujk7UHHU43HfTjhv_B0LPRUhOz0EkicQv3ob795p3bQQnfXdi_uz4w

(A parody but had me fooled ...)

Surely that says more about you than Meghan?

Strange how people clutch their pearls at press intrusion and gossip about the Waleses, yet revel in it into the Sussexes. Its almost as if Harry had a point.
    The same Meghan and Harry who have a flipping TV series bleating on about their secrets? That couple? Harry just wants to monetise and control the intrusion.
    It's not intrusion if you commission it. It's about taking back control.
    It’s double standards. They want everyone to be watching and talking about them and at the same time don’t want people talking about them. I feel sorry for Kate, but whoever was handling the situation did a rather poor job. In general they don’t set out to get the same attention as Meghan and Harry.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

New tropical tree puzzle. Right next to the last tree

Close up of fruit. Is that avocado? Just realised I’ve.not ever seen avocados growing

It can't be an avocado, there's no toast.
    Presumably you grow it alongside breadfruit, and set it on fire.

Incidentally avocado toast is best grilled with some cheese grated over the avo. I was introduced to this 30 years ago in Australia and have been eating it since, and still managed to buy a house. Maybe it's because I don't like latte much.
    What do the Aussies know about food?

If you must gild the lily, try it with buffalo mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and drizzled with a good homemade chilli oil. Crispy streaky bacon bits optional. Don’t grate standard cheese on it.
    The Aussies INVENTED the smashed avo on toast breakfast genre. And they also had the brilliant idea of adding vegemite (or marmite). And it really works for reasons I do not know
    Vegemite is grim. As is marmite. And just because they invented it, so what? Eggs, standard grated cheese, effing marmite. None of these things improve avocado on toast, regardless of who came up with the stupid idea.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Bang those two letters in. Joy!
    The country's badly in need of a good laugh.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

Replacing the leader again is probably even more destructive than things already are for reasons that have been gone into enough already.

But if a vote occurs they might as well go for it and oust him. Recent history shows that winning the vote will not guarantee him to be secure in position, and people who lose such a vote won't transform into loyal footsoldiers, and nor will the sizable chunk of the party's members and voters who have already checked out mentally, so things would remain unstable and questions about authority would remain.

So if it happens, just do it.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,219
    Today I met a person from the Stone Age. A kogi. They are directly descended from the muisca, the pre-Colombian civilisation of Colombia. They are the last community to live as they did with their culture intact and they do not count or tell the time and they cannot write (or they choose not to) and they put their sons in darkened caves from birth until the age of 9 so they can become closer to god and these spiritually gifted males are then known as “mamos” - the “men of the sun”

It was my first ever time talking to someone from the Stone Age and someone with a culture stretching back unbroken to 2000BC and I’d been preparing myself for it because it was important but in the event, due to mishaps, this pivotal dialogue went like this

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Stone Age man of the sun: “no”

“Ah. Ok. Er. My car is broken. Donde auto reparas. Do you know?”

Stone Age man of the sun, who spent nine years of his childhoood immersed entirely in darkness to take him closer to God: “No”

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,671
    edited March 23
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Close up of fruit. Is that avocado? Just realised I’ve.not ever seen avocados growing

Incidentally avocado toast is best grilled with some cheese grated over the avo. I was introduced to this 30 years ago in Australia and have been eating it since, and still managed to buy a house. Maybe it's because I don't like latte much.

If you must gild the lily, try it with buffalo mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and drizzled with a good homemade chilli oil. Crispy streaky bacon bits optional. Don’t grate standard cheese on it.
    The Aussies INVENTED the smashed avo on toast breakfast genre. And they also had the brilliant idea of adding vegemite (or marmite). And it really works for reasons I do not know
    Drizzle warm toast with olive oil, rub a cut clove of garlic over. Spread with smashed avocado, feta and cherry tomatoes on top, sprinkle with dukkah. Perfect.
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Vegemite is grim. As is marmite. And just because they invented it, so what? Eggs, standard grated cheese, effing marmite. None of these things improve avocado on toast, regardless of who came up with the stupid idea.
    I love vegemite. Better than Marmite in my opinion.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Today I met a person from the Stone Age. A kogi. They are directly descended from the muisca, the pre-Colombian civilisation of Colombia. They are the last community to live as they did with their culture intact and they do not count or tell the time and they cannot write (or they choose not to) and they put their sons in darkened caves from birth until the age of 9 so they can become closer to god and these spiritually gifted males are then known as “mamos” - the “men of the sun”

It was my first ever time talking to someone from the Stone Age and someone with a culture stretching back unbroken to 2000BC and I’d been preparing myself for it because it was important but in the event, due to mishaps, this pivotal dialogue went like this

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Stone Age man of the sun, who spent nine years of his childhoood immersed entirely in darkness to take him closer to God: “No”

Had the same experience in Limousin tbf.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,930
    Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

That’s the problem, you were driving a Suzuki Swift, if you had been driving a VW T-roc the Stone Age man would have sorted it.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    dixiedean said:

Come on you Tory-MP-PB-lurkers - you know you want to!
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 523

Does Simon Clarke have previous form for letter-related bullshitting? If he's right then Sunak hasn't got a hope in hell of surviving past 3 May.

For the lolz they should hold the vote on Monday and Penny should call a 2 May election. I don't usually think local elections are especially important, but the London mayoralty is - and certainly this time.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,630
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

It has a weird chemical taste. I received a free jar at an event to celebrate Global Britain’s fantastic new trade deal with Australia that enables Barty to eat unlimited Aussie steak. An event marked by several dignified speeches by luminaries and military types about our special bond, and marred by a late arriving Kemi Badenoch who made a childish speech laced with jokes about woke.

I now have Vegemite and marmite in the cupboard and both for spreading on toast and seasoning sauces the Marmite is much better.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,452
    If Rishi tried to short-circuit a party VONC by calling a General Election, when would polling day be? Is May 2 definitely off the table now?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454
    edited March 23

If Rishi tried to short-circuit a party VONC by calling a General Election, when would polling day be? Is May 2 definitely off the table now?

Theoretically Sunak has until Tuesday/Wednesday to call a May 2nd election but that is as likely as Max Verstappen not acting like a [redacted] ****.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,649
    Donkeys said:

Does Simon Clarke have previous form for letter-related bullshitting? If he's right then Sunak hasn't got a hope in hell of surviving past 3 May.

For the lolz they should hold the vote on Monday and Penny should call a 2 May election. I don't usually think local elections are especially important, but the London mayoralty is - and certainly this time.
    Surely no one other than old Mrs Brady really knows how many letters are in?
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209

@TopDog

Send your proposed article to me via a Vanilla message using this profile as I seldom check the @TSE handle.

I will conduct some background checks on you before I publish it such as do you think pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza.

Starting to understand why my complex, nuanced musings on world affairs remain unpublished.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,454

dixiedean said:

Come on you Tory-MP-PB-lurkers - you know you want to!
    I am about to Whatsapp the Tory MPs I have in my phonebook to ensure the VONC is Wednesday not Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited March 23

Could there possibly be a worse day than the week after: May 9?

(It's also my wedding anniversary - romantic dinner for two followed by a night watching the swingometer. It's not ideal.)
  • Options
    edited March 23
    boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

That’s the problem, you were driving a Suzuki Swift, if you had been driving a VW T-roc the Stone Age man would have sorted it.
    They are brilliant. I also met their cousins the Arhuaco who were having a reunion in the jungle. They are like the kogi but less shy and more attuned to modern life (cars and phones etc) and as it was a special day they’d all washed the white clothes they always wear so they were drifting around the forest like brilliant white ghosts

• Options

(It's also my wedding anniversary - romantic dinner for two followed by a night watching the swingometer. It's not ideal.)
    Were you up for JRM etc.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,236

No. Tuesday would have to be dissolution day though.

V v tight now. No 'wash up'. King lined up this weekend etc etc.

Seems extremely unlikely

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,954
    @DPJHodges

Rishi Sunak is already out of power. For the sake of Britain he has to recognise it > Mail on Sunday >
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

They are brilliant. I also met their cousins the Arhuaco who were having a reunion in the jungle. They are like the kogi but less shy and more attuned to modern life (cars and phones etc) and as it was a special day they’d all washed the white clothes they always wear so they were drifting around the forest like brilliant white ghosts

I imagine these scenes being accompanied by dreamy panpipe music, ideally amplified with a bit of reverb. Please tell me these people walk around accompanied by the sound of panpipes.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

It has a weird chemical taste. I received a free jar at an event to celebrate Global Britain’s fantastic new trade deal with Australia that enables Barty to eat unlimited Aussie steak. An event marked by several dignified speeches by luminaries and military types about our special bond, and marred by a late arriving Kemi Badenoch who made a childish speech laced with jokes about woke.

I now have Vegemite and marmite in the cupboard and both for spreading on toast and seasoning sauces the Marmite is much better.
    Bad Enoch proved even worse than Vegemite. An unenviable achievement.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Were you up for JRM etc.
    Nothing better than a good election for perking up a wedding anniversary night imo.
  • Options

Now we all have our kinks but “watching the swingometer” on your wedding anniversary sounds like a cruel pleasure denied thing. Mrs BP should not have to watch and wait.
  • Options
    edited March 23

May 23, just before the Bank Holiday weekend and Whit half term, would be excellent. They should go for it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

I agree, though eat it seldom. I have to watch salt intake, and its not good for gout too.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

I imagine these scenes being accompanied by dreamy panpipe music, ideally amplified with a bit of reverb. Please tell me these people walk around accompanied by the sound of panpipes.
    The Colombian forest is an orchestra in itself. Seriously. 2000 species of birds. Highest concentration in the world I think

There are always birds singing all the time. It’s edenic

The kogi are quite intense. Much much shyer and withdrawn than the arhuaco and they look at you with a faint expression of pity

Its disconcerting

They believe everyone apart from them is foolish and out of tune with the world and creation. They call everyone else “the younger brothers” as we need educating
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Donkeys said:

Surely no one other than old Mrs Brady really knows how many letters are in?
    Yep. Exactly.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    I joked a while back about a May 9th election due to Rishi getting the dates wrong - but I don’t believe Simon has a clue about what is happening
  • Options

TimS said:

Were you up for JRM etc.
    Nothing better than a good election for perking up a wedding anniversary night imo.
    Fnarr fnarr
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    So Iceland has a web page for the upcoming presidential election. You can go in and enter your name in support of a candidate. In an attempt to do so, apparently 11 people accidentally registered as candidates and are now running for president. Looking forward to the TV debates.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

I stumbled across a bbc thing on I-player where Alice Roberts was the object of my dreams still and she was presenting a series on the expansion of humans from Africa with an episode on each landmass and the Americas part was v interesting (it all was really) in terms of how quickly humans moved through the Americas and down the South American coast. I don’t know why this is relevant to your post but thought I would write it. Something about South American tribes and cultures being quite insulated from change relatively or something.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options
    edited March 23

TimS said:

Were you up for JRM etc.
    Yep, it's a good opportunity for an all-nighter.
  • Options
    eek said:

So Iceland has a web page for the upcoming presidential election. You can go in and enter your name in support of a candidate. In an attempt to do so, apparently 11 people accidentally registered as candidates and are now running for president. Looking forward to the TV debates.

Is Galloway one of them?
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Drizzle warm toast with olive oil, rub a cut clove of garlic over. Spread with smashed avocado, feta and cherry tomatoes on top, sprinkle with dukkah. Perfect.
    Avocado, feta and cherry tomatoes.
    Three of my least favourite foods.
    And I'm not fussy. But good grief!
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

The Colombian forest is an orchestra in itself. Seriously. 2000 species of birds. Highest concentration in the world I think

There are always birds singing all the time. It’s edenic

The kogi are quite intense. Much much shyer and withdrawn than the arhuaco and they look at you with a faint expression of pity

Its disconcerting

They believe everyone apart from them is foolish and out of tune with the world and creation. They call everyone else “the younger brothers” as we need educating
    They are probably right.

I mean - jeez - look at the state of things.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

A circumcision with a rusty butter knife is better than marmite though.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

How can anyone not like feta?!
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

I stumbled across a bbc thing on I-player where Alice Roberts was the object of my dreams still and she was presenting a series on the expansion of humans from Africa with an episode on each landmass and the Americas part was v interesting (it all was really) in terms of how quickly humans moved through the Americas and down the South American coast. I don’t know why this is relevant to your post but thought I would write it. Something about South American tribes and cultures being quite insulated from change relatively or something.
    That’s probably right. Is there an equivalent to the kogi in Africa or Australia or anywhere? A unique and “bizarre” pre-industrial society living exactly as they did 500 or 1000 or 2000 years ago? I doubt it

Maybe some of the most remote Indian Ocean islands, maybe Papua New Guinea? Even then I wonder

It’s the new world. The last place to be corrupted. And the Spanish and Portuguese never really bothered with the vast tracts of forest and mountain - unless they thought there was gold or silver to be had

Ironically the troubled history of Colombia has likely also helped them. Keeping tourists and developers away for a century
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

That’s probably right. Is there an equivalent to the kogi in Africa or Australia or anywhere? A unique and “bizarre” pre-industrial society living exactly as they did 500 or 1000 or 2000 years ago? I doubt it

Maybe some of the most remote Indian Ocean islands, maybe Papua New Guinea? Even then I wonder

It’s the new world. The last place to be corrupted. And the Spanish and Portuguese never really bothered with the vast tracts of forest and mountain - unless they thought there was gold or silver to be had

Ironically the troubled history of Colombia has likely also helped them. Keeping tourists and developers away for a century
    I think some PNG tribes are pretty much “Stone Age” and the Andaman Islands guys - top tip, if the spectator send you there it’s a hint they can’t afford your redundancy.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Very easily.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Andaman Islands?
    Edit. See already suggested.
    That's an indication that PB hive mind has a brilliant idea for the next Knapper's Gazette assignment.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

I think some PNG tribes are pretty much “Stone Age” and the Andaman Islands guys - top tip, if the spectator send you there it’s a hint they can’t afford your redundancy.
    Have you been to the Andamans?!

A friend of mine got invited to a proper shamanic ritual in PNG. The guys who wear spear-like penis gourds. His photos are astonishing. Naked men with spear-penises leaping through fire at 2am

That’s a good night out
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

If Hollywood has taught me anything it is that most non-white people are continually surrounded by appropriately ethnic music at all times (except in Vietnam, where 70s rock music was blasting across the jungles 24/7, usually from CCR).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Andaman Islands?
    Yep.

Particularly this island. If you go there you may well be killed and the government thinks that OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island#:~:text=North Sentinel Island is one,isolation from the outside world.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

A friend of mine got invited to a proper shamanic ritual in PNG. The guys who wear spear-like penis gourds. His photos are astonishing. Naked men with spear-penises leaping through fire at 2am

That’s a good night out
    I think there some Kiwi pilot still being held prisoner there with the threat of death so I’m keeping my spear-penis fire dancing to Jersey where it started as a pastime and we have safety rules these days and are allowed home afterwards.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Off topic: What do American voters want? Pew Research has some answers, beginning with:
    "No single issue stands out after the economy. Nearly three-quarters of Americans (73%) rate strengthening the economy as a top priority. That is considerably larger than the shares citing any other policy goal."
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2024/02/29/americans-top-policy-priority-for-2024-strengthening-the-economy/

At a guess, perhaps half of the issues would be found in a similar study of UK voters. (I'd love to see whether I am right about that.)

Luckily for Biden then, the US economy is going ahead like an express train....

I'm still expecting Trump to make the bond on Monday BTW. I'm sure somebody will do a deal on his Truth Social, possibly taking an option exercisable in 6 months or as soon as he acquires the earlier right to trade shares. For one thing, it would help lock in the simply crazy value already there. Although it was rather amusing that the quoted value of the entity now holding it, Digital World Acquisition Corp., fell nearly 14% on Friday when the deal was announced. A fall comically close to the value of the bond he needs to post on Monday....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Andaman Islands?
    Yep.

Particularly this island. If you go there you may well be killed and the government thinks that OK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Sentinel_Island#:~:text=North Sentinel Island is one,isolation from the outside world.
    I recall seeing a video about the place, which mentioned the expeditions in the 90s referenced on the wikipedia where friendly contact was made on several occasions. Yet less than 10 years after that the islanders were apparently on kill on site mode.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

There was a brilliant programme on the BBC recently - actually filmed in probably the late 60s - a very young David Attenborough on an expedition in PNG attempting to make contact with a previously uncontacted Stone Age tribe. Well worth digging out.
  • Options

Off topic: What do American voters want? Pew Research has some answers, beginning with:
    "No single issue stands out after the economy. Nearly three-quarters of Americans (73%) rate strengthening the economy as a top priority. That is considerably larger than the shares citing any other policy goal."
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2024/02/29/americans-top-policy-priority-for-2024-strengthening-the-economy/

At a guess, perhaps half of the issues would be found in a similar study of UK voters. (I'd love to see whether I am right about that.)

I'm still expecting Trump to make the bond on Monday BTW. I'm sure somebody will do a deal on his Truth Social, possibly taking an option exercisable in 6 months or as soon as he acquires the earlier right to trade shares. For one thing, it would help lock in the simply crazy value already there. Although it was rather amusing that the quoted value of the entity now holding it, Digital World Acquisition Corp., fell nearly 14% on Friday when the deal was announced. A fall comically close to the value of the bond he needs to post on Monday....
    He'll post a bond, or get an extension from the court for a month or something, I am sure. His assets are mostly tied up but despite his pleadings he has options.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

That’s a good night out
    I think there some Kiwi pilot still being held prisoner there with the threat of death so I’m keeping my spear-penis fire dancing to Jersey where it started as a pastime and we have safety rules these days and are allowed home afterwards.
    Ditto. Like many of us here on PB. I do quite a lot of naked spear-penis fire dancing at 2am but there’s no way you’re getting me to do it without proper health and safety

These things need organisation. That’s WHY there’s a Royal British Naked Two AM Spear-Penis Fire Dancing Association, I believe @kle4 is the new Treasurer
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Andaman Islands?
    Yep.

Gosh!
    They are the very essence of sovereignty and taking back control against unwanted immigration.
    Is there a Spectator writer available to go there and report back to express his admiration?
  • Options
    edited March 23
    kle4 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

If Hollywood has taught me anything it is that most non-white people are continually surrounded by appropriately ethnic music at all times (except in Vietnam, where 70s rock music was blasting across the jungles 24/7, usually from CCR).
    One curiosity that I have discovered is that amongst the other music that sells well in rural Malawi is reggae, soul, rap and kwaito but also American Country Music.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 523
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Andaman Islands?
    Yep.

Would you rather the police send in an armed unit to try to apprehend the perps?
    Prosecutors might have difficulty finding a translator to translate the charges, evidence, pleas.
    Only a suicidal headbanger would go there.
    Best just to leave them alone and try to stop any outsiders from visiting.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

That’s a good night out
    Ditto. Like many of us here on PB. I do quite a lot of naked spear-penis fire dancing at 2am but there’s no way you’re getting me to do it without proper health and safety

These things need organisation. That’s WHY there’s a Royal British Naked Two AM Spear-Penis Fire Dancing Association, I believe kle4 is the new Treasurer
    I don't participate, I just enjoy facilitating the activity. It's good to support to growth of civic society.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

That’s a good night out

These things need organisation. That’s WHY there’s a Royal British Naked Two AM Spear-Penis Fire Dancing Association, I believe kle4 is the new Treasurer
    I don't participate, I just enjoy facilitating the activity. It's good to support to growth of civic society.
    It’s what makes Britain special
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,726
    edited March 23

Isn't the problem with rights to the shares in six months time, that they may not be worth anything in six months time?

There certainly seems to be some parallels though between Trump's supporters and the Gamestop mantra that "we can remain retarded longer than they can remain solvent."
  • Options
    eek said:

Sometimes, too much democracy really is a thing.

I look forward to the same happening for the next Conservative leader. Where Dura Ace was trying to leave a cartoon of a cock and balls - and accidentally ends up leader....
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,796

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

It was a good day. The sun came out, I shopped well, I had a nice relaxing lunch in the pub, I walked to the bus stop courtesy of bus times.org and got on to a clean friendly bus with no nutters, sat down and relaxed...

...as the bus turned in the wrong direction. Wrong bus.

In a kerfuffle I dinged the bell, got off, ran back but could not get back in time for the right bus. And then realised I had left half the shopping on the bus.

True story.

👿

Sympathies. Sounds like the start of an interesting novel!
    Honestly? Could be worse. I've lost about £40 of various stuff from Boots and I do feel sorry for the faithful shampoo and toothpaste stuck on a bus waiting for their owner to return (I can be unbearably sentimental), but if I grit my teeth and be rational about it it's not so bad. Although bear in mind I apologise to socks when I throw them out and tell them that they were good socks and shouldn't feel bad. Plus I was bought up on the it's a sin to waste good food principle, so leaving shopping behind does not sit well.

Damn

I'll phone the company.
    No sorry, that won't do.

Your shopping needed to be picked up by a mysterious loner, who soon after calls the police from a public phone box saying he has knowledge of a planned assassination attempt on a leading public figure... The police quickly track the stranger down but he flees leaving the shopping bag with a receipt for your shopping in it, which the police trace back to you. Since you bear a passing resemblance to the stranger, and have no alibi for the time of the call or the near capture of the stranger, it takes you 24 hours in police custody to convince them they're mistaken.

Meanwhile, a leading public figure (not the one the stranger identified, but similar) is assassinated...

..and so on.
    You may find someone on social media is trying to find you to give it back. It can restore your faith in human nature sometimes.
    Yeah, the local facebook groups are full of this stuff.

About 4 years ago I went on a 30 mile long cycle ride and lost a) my phone and b) all my bank cards.
    I retraced the route in the car and found my bank cards (after about 18 miles). Also someone picked up the phone - they could see me trying to call it from an unknown number and found a way to contact me.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

One curiosity that I have discovered is that amongst the other music that sells well in rural Malawi is reggae, soul, rap and kwaito but also American Country Music.
    My visits to Sana'a in Yemen involved me being woken by the muezzin with what can only be described as Ra Ra Rasputin played on a Rolf Harris Stylophone.

Many mocked, until they had the same experience. "Yep...that's what it is."
  • Options
    darkage said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

It was a good day. The sun came out, I shopped well, I had a nice relaxing lunch in the pub, I walked to the bus stop courtesy of bus times.org and got on to a clean friendly bus with no nutters, sat down and relaxed...

...as the bus turned in the wrong direction. Wrong bus.

In a kerfuffle I dinged the bell, got off, ran back but could not get back in time for the right bus. And then realised I had left half the shopping on the bus.

True story.

👿

Sympathies. Sounds like the start of an interesting novel!
    Honestly? Could be worse. I've lost about £40 of various stuff from Boots and I do feel sorry for the faithful shampoo and toothpaste stuck on a bus waiting for their owner to return (I can be unbearably sentimental), but if I grit my teeth and be rational about it it's not so bad. Although bear in mind I apologise to socks when I throw them out and tell them that they were good socks and shouldn't feel bad. Plus I was bought up on the it's a sin to waste good food principle, so leaving shopping behind does not sit well.

Damn

I'll phone the company.
    No sorry, that won't do.

Your shopping needed to be picked up by a mysterious loner, who soon after calls the police from a public phone box saying he has knowledge of a planned assassination attempt on a leading public figure... The police quickly track the stranger down but he flees leaving the shopping bag with a receipt for your shopping in it, which the police trace back to you. Since you bear a passing resemblance to the stranger, and have no alibi for the time of the call or the near capture of the stranger, it takes you 24 hours in police custody to convince them they're mistaken.

Meanwhile, a leading public figure (not the one the stranger identified, but similar) is assassinated...

..and so on.
    You may find someone on social media is trying to find you to give it back. It can restore your faith in human nature sometimes.
    Yeah, the local facebook groups are full of this stuff.

About 4 years ago I went on a 30 mile long cycle ride and lost a) my phone and b) all my bank cards.
    I retraced the route in the car and found my bank cards (after about 18 miles). Also someone picked up the phone - they could see me trying to call it from an unknown number and found a way to contact me.
    I remember losing my virginity and some woman on Facebook keeps sending me angry messages that I lost it in her bedroom and I still haven’t contacted her about it.
  • Options

Isn't the problem with rights to the shares in six months time, that they may not be worth anything in six months time?

There certainly seems to be some parallels though between Trump's supporters and the Gamestop mantra that "we can remain retarded longer than they can remain solvent."
    They may well be worth nothing. That might not bother somebody looking to buddy up to Trump this weekend in the off-chance he becomes President again.

And even if he gets jailed, he will no doubt insist it is his fundamental human right under the Constitution to still post on Truth Social. Although it will probably be buoyed by subscriptions from Democrats, enjoying his latest post on prison...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,945

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

My visits to Sana'a in Yemen involved me being woken by the muezzin with what can only be described as Ra Ra Rasputin played on a Rolf Harris Stylophone.

I had a similar experience staying in an old hotel in the centre of Sfax in Tunisia. We were right opposite the main mosque and being woken before sunrise was something I never managed to adjust to.

Mind you the hotel was where Rommel had been headquartered which kind of made up for the inconvenience (if not for the lack of air conditioning).
  • Options
    kle4 said:

He'll post a bond, or get an extension from the court for a month or something, I am sure. His assets are mostly tied up but despite his pleadings he has options.
    He claims he has half a billion dollars in cash. Despite his lawyers telling the court he hasn't got two beans to rub together...

Somebody's lying.
  • Options
    Biden-Harris HQ
    @BidenHQ

Trump: We're going to win by knocking the hell out of Obamacare, terminating it

(This would rip away health care from tens of millions of Americans and allow people to be denied coverage for having a preexisting condition)

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ/status/1771553261553676371

• Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,934

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

I had a similar experience staying in an old hotel in the centre of Sfax in Tunisia. We were right opposite the main mosque and being woken before sunrise was something I never managed to adjust to.

Mind you the hotel was where Rommel had been headquartered which kind of made up for the inconvenience (if not for the lack of air conditioning).
    Somewhere on the idlewords site (imagine a flint-knapper blog, but told by someone successful) is a story along the lines of "It was a sad day when Islam met Electronic Amplification".

https://idlewords.com/

His account of being arrested for 'spying' in China is worth a read :

https://idlewords.com/2006/08/i_spy.htm

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

May 9 was my prediction in the PB competition.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625

First time I've heard it called that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

That’s a good night out

These things need organisation. That’s WHY there’s a Royal British Naked Two AM Spear-Penis Fire Dancing Association, I believe @kle4 is the new Treasurer
    More likely Morris Dancer, surely ?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    How do I get my free lemon & slime icee?
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Too acidic; too much salt.
    Otherwise, it's quite pleasant.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

When I went through my home cheese making phase (I gave up after a while as most of my efforts tasted like sick and one ended up crawling with tiny maggots because fruit flies got into the container I was maturing it in) feta was one of the interesting ones I didn’t get round to trying. You make it exactly like lacto-fermented veg, immersed in brine.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Yet absolutely perfect in a Greek salad, on a hot day, with crusty bread and COLD white wine. Bliss by the Aegean

It’s one of those cheeses which is meh on its own and needs to be combined

I honestly think a really good Greek salad, in Greece, by the sea, is one of the peak culinary experiences. The only question is: do you crumble the feta or serve it as a block on top? (With oregano either way, obvs)
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906

Theoretically Sunak has until Tuesday/Wednesday to call a May 2nd election but that is as likely as Max Verstappen not acting like a [redacted] ****.
    I was there for the 1:15. Regional Australia, in unison:

FACKING ****
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Yet absolutely perfect in a Greek salad, on a hot day, with crusty bread and COLD white wine. Bliss by the Aegean

I honestly think a really good Greek salad, in Greece, by the sea, is one of the peak culinary experiences. The only question is: do you crumble the feta or serve it as a block on top? (With oregano either way, obvs)
    Crumbled with fresh mint, shelled peas, fresh chilli, diced tomatoes,lemon juice and black pepper. A nice glass of cold white. A 12 o’clock snack on a hot day.
  • Options
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Well I don't know what the jokes were but Badenoch can claim some credit for standing up to the trans fanatics in a way very few others in frontline politics have been prepared to do.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Wikipedia image is, unusually for food Wikipedia pages, actually a good example:

I can taste it from here.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Crumbled with fresh mint, shelled peas, fresh chilli, diced tomatoes,lemon juice and black pepper. A nice glass of cold white. A 12 o’clock snack on a hot day.
    Peas? MINT???

NOOOO

Cucumber, tomato, black olives, peppy onion, maybe green pepper, MAYBE a hint of chili, that’s it. Superb olive oil, white wine vinegar, cracked black pepper, sea salt, the best possible feta, dried oregano - sorted. Crusty bread and wine

The key is great ingredients, and also: be in Greece

It’s one of those sublime foods that makes you feel healthier for having eaten it. Like Vietnamese pho or the best Japanese

in America they often put balsamic vinegar on Greek salad which makes me want to VOM. Sacrilege
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783
    dixiedean said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

“Hello. Habla ingles?”

Andaman Islands?
    Edit. See already suggested.
    That's an indication that PB hive mind has a brilliant idea for the next Knapper's Gazette assignment.
    Sometimes I’m really thankful that Scotland has practically no flint resources.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Wikipedia image is, unusually for food Wikipedia pages, actually a good example:

Fuckyeah

That’s pretty much perfecto
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Peas? MINT???

NOOOO

Cucumber, tomato, black olives, peppy onion, maybe green pepper, MAYBE a hint of chili, that’s it. Superb olive oil, white wine vinegar, cracked black pepper, sea salt, the best possible feta, dried oregano - sorted. Crusty bread and wine

It’s one of those sublime foods that makes you feel healthier for having eaten it. Like Vietnamese pho or the best Japanese

in America they often put balsamic vinegar on Greek salad which makes me want to VOM. Sacrilege
    Not those sort of frozen peas, the ones you pull out of a big shell and steam for a few mins. I forgot the cucumber. But I promise you the mix works amazingly.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,783

How do I get my free lemon & slime icee?

There are some things I absolutely refuse to do and see Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire, even with my Cineworkd membership, is one of them.

On the other hand, Late Night with the Devil is quite a clever horror film.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

My only quibble is the green olives. I prefer the wrinkly black ones in a Greek salad (kalamata?)
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

My only quibble is the green olives. I prefer the wrinkly black ones in a Greek salad (kalamata?)
    Kalamata are the big pinkish ones that look like I imagine bollocks do when you have been kicked in the scrotum. Or they look like tiny versions of cooked sheep testicles.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Peas? MINT???

NOOOO

Not those sort of frozen peas, the ones you pull out of a big shell and steam for a few mins. I forgot the cucumber. But I promise you the mix works amazingly.
    I just can‘t hack peas and MINT in a Greek salad. Mint is SWEET. Ugh

Greek salad should never be sweet in any way. That’s why balsamic is an abomination worthy of Pazuzu
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Kalamata are the big pinkish ones that look like I imagine bollocks do when you have been kicked in the scrotum. Or they look like tiny versions of cooked sheep testicles.
    Google says they are purple-brown to black

Anyway it’s THEM ONES you want in a Greek salad, soft and bitter and small, not the big fat green ones which are a meal in themselves, the olives should not predominate in a Greek salad, they just provide a flavour subnote. To my mind

I sense a PB schism looming
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Just as I feel like losing all faith in Britain there's news of Storm Shadow missiles causing havoc in Crimea. Hopefully be some good news in the morning.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    "Meet the Parents"-themed thread and we haven't done this?

• Options
    I won’t miss the insect life of Colombia, I’ll say that

it is… fervent
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Is it vegan? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,906
    Leon said:

I won’t miss the insect life of Colombia, I’ll say that

it is… fervent

Your regular reminder that flying insects in Britain have declined by 64% in the last 18 years.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    'When asked if voters would prefer a Tory government led by Sunak or a Labour one led by Starmer, Opinium found that Labour under Starmer would have a lead of 18 points. If Mordaunt were to lead the Tories against Starmer, Labour would be 15 points ahead. This would still mean a sizeable majority in the House of Commons.

But if Braverman or Badenoch were to lead the Tories, the Labour lead would be even more, increasing to 24 points, and with Cleverly in charge it would go up to 21 points.

Overall, when asked which party they intended to vote for, without citing current or potential leaders, Labour’s lead remained unchanged from a fortnight ago at 16 points. Labour is on 41%, the Conservatives 25%, Reform 11%, the Liberal Democrats 10%, and the Greens 8%.'

May as well keep Rishi then
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/23/swapping-tory-leader-labour-lead-bigger-poll-opinium