Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Meet the parents – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Video almost certainly NSFW:

"Russian police have cut the ear off a suspect and made him eat it, on camera and posted it online."

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkrainianConflict/comments/1blxw8l/russian_police_have_cut_the_ear_off_a_suspect_and/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    Russians already caught in their first demonstrable official lie about the terrorist attack.

It seems that the Kremlin is going to use the Moscow terror attack as its own Reichstag Fire. All state media and now Putin pointing at #Ukraine 🇺🇦. This is bad.
    https://twitter.com/dpatrikarakos/status/1771582613532119329
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,426
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

WillG said:

kinabalu said:

Will a Labour government want to rejoin an EU with Le Pen as President of France?

Her niece describes it as a failed project that has left Europe a digital colony of America, an economic colony of China, and on the way to becoming a demographic colony of Africa and religious and cultural colony of Islam.

https://x.com/marionmarechal/status/1770894693481537884

Mmm, let's take it back to how it was in the 1930s. All those proud independent sovereign states looking out for their own proud independent people.
    It was proud independent states like the UK and the USA that defeated Nazi Germany, while internationalist Lord Halifax types wanted to make accommodations.
    Well the question was, would we want to rejoin the EU if it veered strongly to the populist right? To which the answer is No. However it's a flawed question. If lots of countries in Europe embrace national populism, elect parties espousing that mindset into government, there won't be an EU to rejoin. And that would be a tragedy.
    An alliance of nation states is far superior to having a single critical control point.

Trump should be proof of that.

Would you want Europe led by a European Trump? Better only one nation is, than a whole continent is.
    I was considering the impact on the EU (which is an alliance of nation states) of its members succumbing to right wing national populism.
    Though even Le Pen no longer advocates leaving the EU, so unlikely to break it up.

Indeed having more nationalist leaders may lead to a more variable federation, with quite different local rules, but free trade and movement.

It might well be more to our taste when we Rejoin.
    You’re a “states’ rights” man in American terms?
    British people do not understand Federalism, so see federal countries through the prism of Central control.

The whole point of Federalism is local variations in law, or "states rights". So yes I do support States Rights as long as they do not impinge on the powers reserved to the central government.
    Interestingly, the Republican/anti-slavery people had their own belief in States Rights in the run up to the Civil War.

They believed that they had the right to keep the Peculiar Institution out of their states. They deeply resented the slave catching laws and saw Southern use of federal law to extend the rights of slave holders, interstate, as a creeping attempt to impose on their States Rights. Bleeding Kansas was, to them, an armed attack on the right of a free territory to remain free of slavery.

Dredd Scott was, to these people, the final assault. If a slave could be bought into a Free State and remain a slave, then the Rights of the Free States were being ended. Between this and the slave catching laws, the entire US was a slave state, by *Federal* mandate.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited March 23
    Roger said:

No googling - who is this, and why is he interesting?

Looks like Graham Goulman songwriter who played with 10CC (and friend)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl7WqV4JVIA
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,458
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

It was a good day. The sun came out, I shopped well, I had a nice relaxing lunch in the pub, I walked to the bus stop courtesy of bus times.org and got on to a clean friendly bus with no nutters, sat down and relaxed...

...as the bus turned in the wrong direction. Wrong bus.

In a kerfuffle I dinged the bell, got off, ran back but could not get back in time for the right bus. And then realised I had left half the shopping on the bus.

True story.

👿

Sympathies. Sounds like the start of an interesting novel!
    Honestly? Could be worse. I've lost about £40 of various stuff from Boots and I do feel sorry for the faithful shampoo and toothpaste stuck on a bus waiting for their owner to return (I can be unbearably sentimental), but if I grit my teeth and be rational about it it's not so bad. Although bear in mind I apologise to socks when I throw them out and tell them that they were good socks and shouldn't feel bad. Plus I was bought up on the it's a sin to waste good food principle, so leaving shopping behind does not sit well.

Damn

I'll phone the company.
    No sorry, that won't do.

Your shopping needed to be picked up by a mysterious loner, who soon after calls the police from a public phone box saying he has knowledge of a planned assassination attempt on a leading public figure... The police quickly track the stranger down but he flees leaving the shopping bag with a receipt for your shopping in it, which the police trace back to you. Since you bear a passing resemblance to the stranger, and have no alibi for the time of the call or the near capture of the stranger, it takes you 24 hours in police custody to convince them they're mistaken.

Meanwhile, a leading public figure (not the one the stranger identified, but similar) is assassinated...

..and so on.
    You may find someone on social media is trying to find you to give it back. It can restore your faith in human nature sometimes.
    I've emailed the bus company.
    Good.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

The Opinium poll tonight is interesting. Two weeks since the last and no change in the major party shares, unlike in polls from many other firms recently.

Sorry, haven't seen the numbers, do you have a link?
  • Options
    Taz said:
    He could have brought his cat and doubled the numbers.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

WillG said:

Carnyx said:

WillG said:

kinabalu said:

Will a Labour government want to rejoin an EU with Le Pen as President of France?

Her niece describes it as a failed project that has left Europe a digital colony of America, an economic colony of China, and on the way to becoming a demographic colony of Africa and religious and cultural colony of Islam.

https://x.com/marionmarechal/status/1770894693481537884

Mmm, let's take it back to how it was in the 1930s. All those proud independent sovereign states looking out for their own proud independent people.
    It was proud independent states like the UK and the USA that defeated Nazi Germany, while internationalist Lord Halifax types wanted to make accommodations.
    What was the role of Canada, Australia and India?
    And the Poles and Norwegians and quite a few French and Africans and Australians and ...

Indeed FDR and WSC were quite big on internationalism even during the war.
    Poland, Norway etc were proud independent states.
    And remained them, with governments in exile and armed forces embodied.
    Currently, the world's longest serving Government-in-exile is from which country?
    Myanmar?
    It's actually Belarus, since 1919!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rada_of_the_Belarusian_Democratic_Republic
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    stodge said:

The Opinium poll tonight is interesting. Two weeks since the last and no change in the major party shares, unlike in polls from many other firms recently.

There's Tory and Labour shares here for different Tories leaders, but I don't know about the full figures:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/23/swapping-tory-leader-labour-lead-bigger-poll-opinium
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
  • Options
    In the last contested Con leadership election the general public regarded Kemi Badenoch as their second least favourite, ahead only of the hapless Liz Truss.

Current polling by a top quality polling company shows that of the possible Con leaders going into the election the worst regarded is one Kemi Badenoch, narrowly behind the notoriously inept and unpopular Suella Braverman.

Seems to be a pattern emerging. It is Mr Sunak's tragedy that he can spot unpopular Ministers who he apparently considers out of their depth but he lacks the courage to sack them.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

stodge said:

There's Tory and Labour shares here for different Tories leaders, but I don't know about the full figures:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/mar/23/swapping-tory-leader-labour-lead-bigger-poll-opinium
    Thank you, my friend.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,934
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Looks like Graham Goulman songwriter who played with 10CC (and friend)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hl7WqV4JVIA
    On your area of expertise, I don’t see many adverts these days however I’ve seen an advert recently for BA premium economy which has had a huge effect on me but maybe not what they aimed for!

It has not not made me want to fly BA premium economy however it has made me decide I want children, seriously, so I’m laughing to myself that it’s actually a cunning psy-ops effort to boost the national birth rate. Well done Mad Men.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Article contains conventional figures:

"Overall, when asked which party they intended to vote for, without citing current or potential leaders, Labour’s lead remained unchanged from a fortnight ago at 16 points. Labour is on 41%, the Conservatives 25%, Reform 11%, the Liberal Democrats 10%, and the Greens 8%."
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

It was a good day. The sun came out, I shopped well, I had a nice relaxing lunch in the pub, I walked to the bus stop courtesy of bus times.org and got on to a clean friendly bus with no nutters, sat down and relaxed...

...as the bus turned in the wrong direction. Wrong bus.

In a kerfuffle I dinged the bell, got off, ran back but could not get back in time for the right bus. And then realised I had left half the shopping on the bus.

True story.

👿

Sympathies. Sounds like the start of an interesting novel!
    Honestly? Could be worse. I've lost about £40 of various stuff from Boots and I do feel sorry for the faithful shampoo and toothpaste stuck on a bus waiting for their owner to return (I can be unbearably sentimental), but if I grit my teeth and be rational about it it's not so bad. Although bear in mind I apologise to socks when I throw them out and tell them that they were good socks and shouldn't feel bad. Plus I was bought up on the it's a sin to waste good food principle, so leaving shopping behind does not sit well.

Damn

I'll phone the company.
    No sorry, that won't do.

Your shopping needed to be picked up by a mysterious loner, who soon after calls the police from a public phone box saying he has knowledge of a planned assassination attempt on a leading public figure... The police quickly track the stranger down but he flees leaving the shopping bag with a receipt for your shopping in it, which the police trace back to you. Since you bear a passing resemblance to the stranger, and have no alibi for the time of the call or the near capture of the stranger, it takes you 24 hours in police custody to convince them they're mistaken.

Meanwhile, a leading public figure (not the one the stranger identified, but similar) is assassinated...

..and so on.
    ...and then escape from the cops to try to prevent the next assassination, and am pursued by a dogged police officer. During his investigation he becomes increasingly suspicious and in the final confrontation he makes me realise that I was the assassin all along and the innocent persona was a postraumatic overlay imposed by the guilt over the lost toothpaste. I put down the snipers rifle and, reunited with the bag, am led away sobbing.
    …In the second ending, after the false ending, it is revealed that your best friend and old comrade in the Intelligence Support Activity* was the one who actually used advanced mind control techniques to program you to commit the assassination. This is revealed when he mentions the brand of toothpaste in the bag in a casual remark. Since you had changed your toothpaste to symbolise leaving the ISA, this reveals he is mastermind. In an intense action scene, you finally kill him with the… shampoo.

*way cooler than “you were in the CIA”
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,460
    CatMan said:

stodge said:

Comparable with the usual poll figures further down the linked article;

Overall, when asked which party they intended to vote for, without citing current or potential leaders, Labour’s lead remained unchanged from a fortnight ago at 16 points. Labour is on 41%, the Conservatives 25%, Reform 11%, the Liberal Democrats 10%, and the Greens 8%.

Shame they don't have figures for the two implausible leaders who might make a difference- Boris and Nigel. I suspect that it would attract and repulse potential Conservative voters in roughly equal measure. But it would be good to have data.

Otherwise- can Conservatives please accept that the face on the label isn't the only problem, or even the main one?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Any Con MPs looking at that Opinium poll will surely be very nervous about triggering a leadership contest.

It's a total wipeout with Badenoch or Braverman.

Whilst Mordaunt is only a maginal improvement - which I supsect would be offset by uproar re another unelected PM.

Best bet is clearly to stick with Sunak.
  • Options
    TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder
    No, it’s the pilot of the plane who crashed on the Ukraine/Republic of China border.
    C'mon! Give him a chance.
    Well, I thought my first-ever post was quite witty, but now I can see that I have been ‘outed’ within minutes as a reincarnation of Truman or one of the other suspicious Russophiles who turn up on PB from time to time. (Though was Truman really Leon? Or am I really Sean T etc? Only Leon and I know the answer to that.)

I can understand why, in our world of aliases, suspicions arise. So here’s the truth (promise!). I am a long-time reader of PB (a lurker, perhaps, though that sounds a bit seedy) and a true fan of the well-informed political debate that takes place here. I pay tribute to Mike Smithson for having created this site and am sorry that he is stepping back.

I do not live in Moscow or on a never-ending tour of the world’s most glamorous hotels and restaurants, but in a pleasant house deep in the West Country, with a partner (female), three dogs, a garden and a Manchester United supporters badge (sorry, TSE and others, about last Sunday). I am an ex-Fleet St journalist (physically as well as metaphorically, if that gives you a clue), past retirement age, who still dabbles in publishing/editing etc with a few other harmless pastimes. I am a political centrist, a former Tory who left the party when Boris became leader, a monarchist, pro-Europe, pro-Ukraine, anti-Trump who believes that it will probably be good for democracy to put Labour in charge for a bit.

So that’s my story (well-crafted by my handler comrades, I am sure you will agree). If anyone doubts it, let me offer a phone or zoom call to the doubter whenever convenient - I can indeed be verified (it's programmed into my algorithm). I am unlikely to be a frequent poster, but now that the ice has been broken, who knows? So, thank you @Benpointer for seeking to give me a chance.

Sorry for the lengthy post - next one will be much shorter and pithier.
    *this* is the point of the plane crash question.
  • Options

"Russian police have cut the ear off a suspect and made him eat it, on camera and posted it online."

https://www.reddit.com/r/UkrainianConflict/comments/1blxw8l/russian_police_have_cut_the_ear_off_a_suspect_and/

Feck

That’s a bit OTT. That’s like 23 out of 10 on the Metropolitan Police scale of behaviour.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

Really insightful piece by Danny Finkelstein on Israel/Palestine.

'Aware that Israel’s supporters and its critics have been talking past each other, I decided to write an article for The Times in which I set out some of the things critics had been saying that I had heard, understood and might be willing to accept.

I restated my belief in the need for Israel to exist and be secure, I repeated that it was unthinkable that Hamas be allowed to continue governing territory adjacent to Israel, I admitted that my view wasn’t the same as that of every Jew. And then I made my list of concessions.

I won’t repeat everything I wrote, but the thrust was that I accepted that there had been an emerging Palestinian nationalism at the same time as Zionist migration. I understood why Palestinian Arabs hadn’t wanted to share the land, even though I regretted it. I acknowledged that in the war they then launched, some Palestinians had been driven from their homes and still felt a sense of injustice.

And I agreed they needed still to have their own state, an outcome which settlements and the attitude of the Israeli government impedes. And here is what happened when I wrote this.

Nothing. Nothing happened. I had written that I was trying to establish a dialogue in which all of us showed we were listening to each other, that while some issues were ones that were about right and wrong (the horrific Hamas attack, the need for half the world’s Jews to feel secure), others were about competing rights.

But I didn’t get the dialogue I had been asking for. Not from one person. Not in a single email. Not in a single letter. Not in a single tweet. Not one person matched my concessions with concessions of their own. The only replies I got were to tell me I was right to concede and demand more.

I tried again. I wrote another column and repeated the arguments I had heard the critics make. I was even more explicit this time about seeking a response. But still, I got nothing.'

https://www.thejc.com/lets-talk/so-how-did-a-hamas-apologist-get-an-invitation-to-parliament-jbkk0e9c

Interesting. So, why?

Firstly, Danny Finkelstein has no power over the matter, so this is talk.

Secondly the briefing of his position says clearly and without conditions that a two state solution in the proper answer, and this involves compromise. On the whole 'Two State' solution people (including me) will agree with him, so game over. Sadly the relevant audiences he addresses, Israeli and Palestinian, unconditionally support a one state solution; so what would there be to discuss?
  • Options

CatMan said:

stodge said:

Overall, when asked which party they intended to vote for, without citing current or potential leaders, Labour’s lead remained unchanged from a fortnight ago at 16 points. Labour is on 41%, the Conservatives 25%, Reform 11%, the Liberal Democrats 10%, and the Greens 8%.

Shame they don't have figures for the two implausible leaders who might make a difference- Boris and Nigel. I suspect that it would attract and repulse potential Conservative voters in roughly equal measure. But it would be good to have data.

Otherwise- can Conservatives please accept that the face on the label isn't the only problem, or even the main one?
    The Tories real problem is that the changes they have already made which have led to where they are now are deeply unpopular, and any changes they threaten to make are deeply unpopular too. Both status quo and change are deeply unpopular. There is a message for them in this, and it is not easy to hear.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999

Interesting in what sense?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,271
    We can expect reprisals against Ukrainian civilians in Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine. It's what has happened in response to every other previous situation where propaganda has been used to heap blame for a terror attack in the past. The Cromwellian attacks on Catholics in Ireland, for example, followed propaganda about Catholics attacking Protestants in Ireland.

It's this sort of propaganda which gives permission for bestial acts of revenge.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Sorry, @LostPassword I’ve now seen the poll. Not really that surprising though. Basically as you were with Penny (okay, a tiny MOE improvement). But even worse with Bad Enoch who was bizarrely seen by some as a ‘star’ despite being invisible as BizSec, then cack-handed, the purported appeal of her lost on all but the true believers.
  • Options

We can expect reprisals against Ukrainian civilians in Russian-occupied areas of Ukraine. It's what has happened in response to every other previous situation where propaganda has been used to heap blame for a terror attack in the past. The Cromwellian attacks on Catholics in Ireland, for example, followed propaganda about Catholics attacking Protestants in Ireland.

It's this sort of propaganda which gives permission for bestial acts of revenge.

Then the Ukrainians might think “might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb” and really take the war into Russia. Russian reprisals might not have the effect they enjoy in Moscow and St P which have been largely spared the horrors that their government have inflicted until now.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
    Here's their Twix (or whatever it's called now):

https://x.com/OpiniumResearch/status/1771627990088126694?s=20
  • Options

It’s far too late on that score.

There was an interview with a psychiatrist (non Ukrainian, working in Ukraine)

She’d been working with Ukrainians who’d been captured by the Russians and castrated. Yes. Castrated.

She was concerned by the fact that they wanted to return to the front and what they would do there.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Just watching the news and Putin has got himself in a right old pickle with this ISIS attack in Moscow. Blaming Ukraine is dangerous. People might wonder if attacking Ukraine was all that smart.
  • Options

In the sense I have in my comment. Almost every other recent poll has shown a marked deterioration in the Tory position, but Opinium does not.

Could just be chance, or it might be a sign that the change in the headline numbers is due to more Tory don't knows, which wouldn't affect Opinium results. They're rather standing against the tide.

Though the Opinium poll would still give a Labour majority of 220 and only 129 Tory seats if replicated at the GE. The Tories are in such a deep hole.
  • Options

Sorry, @LostPassword I’ve now seen the poll. Not really that surprising though. Basically as you were with Penny (okay, a tiny MOE improvement). But even worse with Bad Enoch who was bizarrely seen by some as a ‘star’ despite being invisible as BizSec, then cack-handed, the purported appeal of her lost on all but the true believers.

I don't really find the hypothetical question interesting. It's hard for voters to imagine what a different leader would do differently, so how would they predict how it would affect their vote?

These hypothetical polls are more a question of name recognition and personal popularity, so they should ask those questions instead of hypothetical ones.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    tlg86 said:

Just watching the news and Putin has got himself in a right old pickle with this ISIS attack in Moscow. Blaming Ukraine is dangerous. People might wonder if attacking Ukraine was all that smart.

He could study Tony Blair's speeches regarding the Iraq war to find some arguments for why invading an unrelated country is the right thing to do in response to terror.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Opinium is the Parliaments ICM from 92-97 with consistently more modest (but still very healthy) Labour leads.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Then the Ukrainians might think “might as well be hanged for a sheep as for a lamb” and really take the war into Russia. Russian reprisals might not have the effect they enjoy in Moscow and St P which have been largely spared the horrors that their government have inflicted until now.
    I hope not. And given what the Russians have already done in Bucha and Mariupol, it would seem unlikely.

The Ukrainians have been admirably focused on winning the war, and getting their people back safely - so we see the choice of militarily-relevant targets, and Russian soldiers are captured for prisoner exchanges, rather than summarily executed.
  • Options
    TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder
    No, it’s the pilot of the plane who crashed on the Ukraine/Republic of China border.
    Well, I thought my first-ever post was quite witty, but now I can see that I have been ‘outed’ within minutes as a reincarnation of Truman or one of the other suspicious Russophiles who turn up on PB from time to time. (Though was Truman really Leon? Or am I really Sean T etc? Only Leon and I know the answer to that.)

I can understand why, in our world of aliases, suspicions arise. So here’s the truth (promise!). I am a long-time reader of PB (a lurker, perhaps, though that sounds a bit seedy) and a true fan of the well-informed political debate that takes place here. I pay tribute to Mike Smithson for having created this site and am sorry that he is stepping back.

I do not live in Moscow or on a never-ending tour of the world’s most glamorous hotels and restaurants, but in a pleasant house deep in the West Country, with a partner (female), three dogs, a garden and a Manchester United supporters badge (sorry, TSE and others, about last Sunday). I am an ex-Fleet St journalist (physically as well as metaphorically, if that gives you a clue), past retirement age, who still dabbles in publishing/editing etc with a few other harmless pastimes. I am a political centrist, a former Tory who left the party when Boris became leader, a monarchist, pro-Europe, pro-Ukraine, anti-Trump who believes that it will probably be good for democracy to put Labour in charge for a bit.

So that’s my story (well-crafted by my handler comrades, I am sure you will agree). If anyone doubts it, let me offer a phone or zoom call to the doubter whenever convenient - I can indeed be verified (it's programmed into my algorithm). I am unlikely to be a frequent poster, but now that the ice has been broken, who knows? So, thank you @Benpointer for seeking to give me a chance.

Why not write a header?
  • Options

CatMan said:

stodge said:

If it was just a 'change of face' I'd agree 100%. The reason that I want a change of leader is because a change of leader is the only credible way to change the policy direction and relaunch the party. Sunak is clapped out - he could have the most amazing new programme for the remainder of his time in power and the most amazing manifesto for the next parliament (obviously he has neither), but he couldn't sell it because he has zero credibility - he'd have to convince people why he did none of this stuff whilst Chancellor and then PM up until now.
  • Options
    TopDogTopDog Posts: 7

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?
    I would love to. I thought TSE was in charge of headers? Or do you have commissioning duties as well?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,182

Taz said:
    He could have brought his cat and doubled the numbers.
    As per the time honoured chant at soccer games at a poor away support “you could have come in a taxi”
  • Options

In the sense I have in my comment. Almost every other recent poll has shown a marked deterioration in the Tory position, but Opinium does not.

Could just be chance, or it might be a sign that the change in the headline numbers is due to more Tory don't knows, which wouldn't affect Opinium results. They're rather standing against the tide.

Though the Opinium poll would still give a Labour majority of 220 and only 129 Tory seats if replicated at the GE. The Tories are in such a deep hole.
    Opinium generally don't poll the Conservatives below 25% - there's one poll from October 2022 which had a Conservative share of 23% but oddly enought their polling is quite consistent as @GIN1138 has commented. The split between the dreadful, naive so called progressives and the sensible, pragmatic, common sense parties is at 59-36 which is far from out of place. The swing from Labour to Conservative is 14.5% which would still deliver a comfortable Labour majority but not quite thr extinction event of other pollsters for all, as I said earlier, the true swings in provincial England may be greater than UNS.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,506
    Off topic: What do American voters want? Pew Research has some answers, beginning with:
    "No single issue stands out after the economy. Nearly three-quarters of Americans (73%) rate strengthening the economy as a top priority. That is considerably larger than the shares citing any other policy goal."
    https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/2024/02/29/americans-top-policy-priority-for-2024-strengthening-the-economy/

At a guess, perhaps half of the issues would be found in a similar study of UK voters. (I'd love to see whether I am right about that.)
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657

Opinium said in their revision to methodology that their new system of allocating DKs to their former party may well make for a swing to Labour when DKs do decide. It may well be that their methodology may well still be allocating them to the Tories, while other pollsters generally ignore the DKs.

I discussed this in my header in Dec.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2023/12/02/sweet-swingbacks-baadasssss-song/
  • Options
    TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?
    I would love to. I thought TSE was in charge of headers? Or do you have commissioning duties as well?
    He is, but they have been very good at publishing editorial submissions from below the line commenters.
  • Options

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?
    He is, but they have been very good at publishing editorial submissions from below the line commenters.
    Great. So what is the procedure?
  • Options
    TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?
    If you email it to TSE, he will format it and publish it, generally within a few days.

Now that OGH has retired, there is a need for headers, and while few can match @MikeSmithson punchy style and betting tips, the site does benefit from a variety of voices.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,010
    Yes the mood is the voters want change and Starmer is trusted enough for now to deliver a new government.

Also from the focus group 'For many, another new leader would simply be farcical: “They’ve been through everyone. They’re running out of people. How many leaders are we on since the election?”; “They need dislodging because they’re just handing the baton on from one person to another. ‘I’m out of favour today so you take over and if you go out of favour, pass it on to her. Then who? The cleaner, have you had a go yet?”

“The two leading parties, you’ve got Sir Keir Starmer and then you’ve got multi-billionaire Rishi Sunak. Neither of them have a clue what it’s like to go to Sainsbury’s. And neither did Boris, but at least Boris had a bit of balls.”
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/03/22/lord-ashcroft-it-feels-like-weve-got-alcoholic-parents-my-latest-focus-group-in-east-thanet-and-portsmouth-north/
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,955
    Evening.

I have been out all day... Did I miss anything?

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav
    Liz Truss on CNBC News has sought to clarify what she means by the deep state: "It's deep, meaning a very long way down. We know it's there but obviously not exactly what it is because it's so deep. I mean really deep. But it's dangerous and working all the time to destabilise."

@gavinesler
    “Is it in the room with you now?”
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?
    If you email it to TSE, he will format it and publish it, generally within a few days.

Now that OGH has retired, there is a need for headers, and while few can match @MikeSmithson punchy style and betting tips, the site does benefit from a variety of voices.
    Thanks. Where do I find TSE's email address? Bear in mind that while I have been reading PB for many years, I have only signed on to an account a few hours ago and am learning how Vanilla works.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav
    Liz Truss on CNBC News has sought to clarify what she means by the deep state: "It's deep, meaning a very long way down. We know it's there but obviously not exactly what it is because it's so deep. I mean really deep. But it's dangerous and working all the time to destabilise."

@gavinesler

If Gavin is there, it's certainly there in spirit.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,756
    TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Welcome to El Vino (online edition).
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305
    Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
  • Options
    TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?
    Ha! Not I!

Just write something and send it to @TheScreamingEagles as a PM - if he likes it, it goes up.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237

You’ve just spent a day complaining that I am a sick weirdo for watching terrible videos when they are on the news, so 1. How did you find that if you always strenuously avoid these things and 2. Why the fuck would you link to it given you are supposed to abhor them as some kind of perversity?
  • Options
    If there is one thing I’ve learned in this long and richly coloured life, it is, ultimately and quite profoundly, also this: never try to cross the lower Andes to a Stone Age village in a “Suzuki Swift”
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 23
    "Meghan Markle announces Netflix show about how hard it's been dealing with Kate Middletons cancer diagnosis"

It's all about MEEEEEEEEE....

https://babylonbee.com/news/meghan-markle-announces-netflix-show-about-how-hard-its-been-dealing-with-kate-middletons-cancer-diagnosis?fbclid=IwAR1lCujk7UHHU43HfTjhv_B0LPRUhOz0EkicQv3ob795p3bQQnfXdi_uz4w

(A parody but had me fooled ...)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    Oh yes indeed - take it from me
  • Options
    TopDog said:

Foxy said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?

Thanks. Where do I find TSE's email address? Bear in mind that while I have been reading PB for many years, I have only signed on to an account a few hours ago and am learning how Vanilla works.
    Go to your vanilla account,

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    She is slowly working towards the #NU10K

The bit she has missed is that it isn’t a conspiracy. It’s a confederacy of dunces, all slapping each others backs, in a circle.

And she is one of them.

Why else would she be getting 6 figures for after diner speaking?
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,097

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

If Gavin is there, it's certainly there in spirit.
    Truss is clearly an imbecile.
  • Options
    Leon said:

You’ve just spent a day complaining that I am a sick weirdo for watching terrible videos when they are on the news, so 1. How did you find that if you always strenuously avoid these things and 2. Why the fuck would you link to it given you are supposed to abhor them as some kind of perversity?
    Regardless, it shows how the Russians are a backwards, uncivilized people. The West are indisputably the good guys in this contest, and those that seek to sell out the West to prop up Putin and his orcs are losers.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

"Meghan Markle announces Netflix show about how hard it's been dealing with Kate Middletons cancer diagnosis"

https://babylonbee.com/news/meghan-markle-announces-netflix-show-about-how-hard-its-been-dealing-with-kate-middletons-cancer-diagnosis?fbclid=IwAR1lCujk7UHHU43HfTjhv_B0LPRUhOz0EkicQv3ob795p3bQQnfXdi_uz4w

Meghan is now being traduced for parody accounts pretending to show what weird royalist obsessive think she thinks.

Jesus wept.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Regardless, it shows how the Russians are a backwards, uncivilized people. The West are indisputably the good guys in this contest, and those that seek to sell out the West to prop up Putin and his orcs are losers.
    “I think people who watch videos of men having sex with fruit are depraved perverts who spend their days wanking over papayas being molested they make me puke anyway today I was on a special website for men who love sex with fruit and I found this video of someone putting a yellow dragon fruit up his bottom and obviously I haven’t watched it because these things are hideous and I bet it’s disgusting but here’s a link to it if anyone else wants to watch it but honestly don’t it’s disgusting or so I imagine

Yours sincerely @JosiasJessop (aged 12 and a half)
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    How, I wonder, does the deep state brief a new PM on the various truths that only the illuminati know when, like Truss, they clearly are not already in the magic circle?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679
    edited March 23

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?
    Ha! Not I!

Just write something and send it to @TheScreamingEagles as a PM - if he likes it, it goes up.
    TopDog, click on @TopDog to take you to your profile, go to your Inbox (on the lefthand side), New message to TheScreamingEagles. Putting a proposed header in a Word doc and attaching it to the message worked for me.

(Or, if by any chance you are a Russian bot, wire me £10k and I'll explain it all for you.)
  • Options
    TopDog said:

Foxy said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?

If you use the format @TSE he will get a notification, so let him know on here.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,955
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    How, I wonder, does the deep state brief a new PM on the various truths that only the illuminati know when, like Truss, they clearly are not already in the magic circle?
    Presumably Truss' point is they don't. Clearly she never got the Deep State briefing when she was PM...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Foxy said:

TopDog said:

Foxy said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

TopDog said:

Blackadder

Why not write a header?

If you use the format @TSE he will get a notification, so let him know on here.
    Only if you used his actual handle ;)
  • Options
    New tropical tree puzzle. Right next to the last tree

Close up of fruit. Is that avocado? Just realised I’ve.not ever seen avocados growing

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    @TopDog

Send your proposed article to me via a Vanilla message using this profile as I seldom check the @TSE handle.

I will conduct some background checks on you before I publish it such as do you think pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza.
  • Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

“I think people who watch videos of men having sex with fruit are depraved perverts who spend their days wanking over papayas being molested they make me puke anyway today I was on a special website for men who love sex with fruit and I found this video of someone putting a yellow dragon fruit up his bottom and obviously I haven’t watched it because these things are hideous and I bet it’s disgusting but here’s a link to it if anyone else wants to watch it but honestly don’t it’s disgusting or so I imagine

I don't particularly care whether one particular social media user on a political betting forum is consistent or not. It doesn't matter. But the fact that the Russian police and armies are subhuman savages does matter for political debate.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

@TopDog

Send your proposed article to me via a Vanilla message using this profile as I seldom check the @TSE handle.

I will conduct some background checks on you before I publish it such as do you think pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza.

Have you (re)banned Horse yet?
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Well it’s Saturday evening.

And despite previous discord, we are all now in concert.

It’s time.

Her time.

Step forward Elizabeth Truss.

The lady of our lives.

TRUSS.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,775
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    It's a weird turn she has taken. Despite the humiliation of her ousting she seemed to have dealt with it with some admirable dignity and restraint given the circumstances, not constantly leaking bitter remarks etc, but she seems now to be going full conspiracy loon.

It's one thing to rail againt 'the blob', or whatever institutional inertia or cultural forces you think are hindering what might be necessary changes and policies, it's quite another to adopt right wing american talking points about deep states.

Is it just a career move?
  • Options
    edited March 23

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    Terrible slur on cheese. Nor does it make any sense.
    'Nutty as a fruitcake' - most fruitcakes have nuts in.
    'Mad as a box of frogs' - I imagine frogs in a box get pretty mad.

But mad as cheese? You cantal me that one makes any sense.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

Leon said:

I don't particularly care whether one particular social media user on a political betting forum is consistent or not. It doesn't matter. But the fact that the Russian police and armies are subhuman savages does matter for political debate.
    It’s a different issue. The incoherence just amuses me

The Russians are barbaric soldiers. The Ukrainians can also be barbaric - shooting prisoners in cold blood etc. But in this instance the Russians started it and they surely have done the bulk of it

So I wouldn’t really disagree tho “subhuman” is a dangerous word I would not use. Evil bastards is sufficient
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Surely that says more about you than Meghan?

Strange how people clutch their pearls at press intrusion and gossip about the Waleses, yet revel in it into the Sussexes. Its almost as if Harry had a point.
    Indeed. QED.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    Terrible slur on cheese.

Nor does it make any sense. 'Nutty as a fruitcake' - most fruitcakes have nuts in. 'Mad as a box of frogs' - I imagine frogs in a box get pretty mad.

TRUSS.

NOW.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    She’s Edamed by her own words.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

The act described (it's quite disgusting enough to hear about it without seeing it) is indescribably violent - despicable.

But it's then a little ironical that you're touting our moral superiority whilst at the same time declaring the enemy to be less than human. We know where regarding your enemies as less than human leads. We may be superior morally, but your post isn't.

• Options
    Leon said:

Close up of fruit. Is that avocado? Just realised I’ve.not ever seen avocados growing

It can't be an avocado, there's no toast.
  • Options

Leon said:

But it’s right next to a Marmite bush
  • Options
    edited March 23

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    Terrible slur on cheese.

Nor does it make any sense. 'Nutty as a fruitcake' - most fruitcakes have nuts in. 'Mad as a box of frogs' - I imagine frogs in a box get pretty mad.

TRUSS.

NOW.

WillG said:

Leon said:

The act described (it's quite disgusting enough to hear about it without seeing it) is indescribably violent - despicable.

But it's then a little ironical that you're touting our moral superiority whilst at the same time declaring the enemy to be less than human. We know where regarding your enemies as less than human leads. We may be superior morally, but your post isn't.

Indeed. Well said. “it shows how the Russians are a backwards, uncivilized people”: that is just racism, pure and simple. Substitute Russian for any other ethnicity and see how the sentence holds up.
  • Options
    Ooh. Google lens is suggesting this is indeed the famous “calabash tree”. And I think it is

Yay

ChatGPT is crap at this
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,201
    Foxy said:

Fishing said:

Strange how people clutch their pearls at press intrusion and gossip about the Waleses, yet revel in it into the Sussexes. Its almost as if Harry had a point.
    The same Meghan and Harry who have a flipping TV series bleating on about their secrets? That couple? Harry just wants to monetise and control the intrusion.
  • Options

Leon said:

Presumably you grow it alongside breadfruit, and set it on fire.

Incidentally avocado toast is best grilled with some cheese grated over the avo. I was introduced to this 30 years ago in Australia and have been eating it since, and still managed to buy a house. Maybe it's because I don't like latte much.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@TopDog

I've been out all day? Has he complimented Max Verstappen or something?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

@TopDog

I've been out all day? Has he complimented Max Verstappen or something?
    On second thoughts, I'm not going to say. I don't want to trigger you.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Incidentally avocado toast is best grilled with some cheese grated over the avo. I was introduced to this 30 years ago in Australia and have been eating it since, and still managed to buy a house. Maybe it's because I don't like latte much.
    What do the Aussies know about food?

If you must gild the lily, try it with buffalo mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and drizzled with a good homemade chilli oil. Crispy streaky bacon bits optional. Don’t grate standard cheese on it.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

The same Meghan and Harry who have a flipping TV series bleating on about their secrets? That couple? Harry just wants to monetise and control the intrusion.
    Indeed, talking about what they are publicly doing is not gossiping.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

It's not intrusion if you commission it. It's about taking back control.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

If you must gild the lily, try it with buffalo mozzarella, sundried tomatoes and drizzled with a good homemade chilli oil. Crispy streaky bacon bits optional. Don’t grate standard cheese on it.
    Wtf is 'standard cheese'?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Fishing said:

It's not intrusion if you commission it. It's about taking back control.
    Their chances were remote.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Evening.

Like this, perhaps

@Bodysatnav

@gavinesler

Mad as cheese.
    It's a weird turn she has taken. Despite the humiliation of her ousting she seemed to have dealt with it with some admirable dignity and restraint given the circumstances, not constantly leaking bitter remarks etc, but she seems now to be going full conspiracy loon.

It's one thing to rail againt 'the blob', or whatever institutional inertia or cultural forces you think are hindering what might be necessary changes and policies, it's quite another to adopt right wing american talking points about deep states.

Is it just a career move?
    I think she should have introduced the CPAC audience to the phrase 'the Blob' - it would have gone down well in the room; it's assimilable, and frankly true. I can understand why she chose to call it the deep state, to use a concept known to the audience, but it wasn't great comms. But hey, that's our Liz.
  • Options
    So only two more letters are needed to trigger a confidence vote in Sunak.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I know a girl with a marmite bush, some people love eating it and some hate eating it.
    *chuckles like the late Sid James*
  • Options
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I know a girl with a marmite bush, some people love eating it and some hate eating it.
    Please, this is a family friendly site, keep your filth in check.

Utterly gutted that I didn't come up with that innuendo.
  • Options

So only two more letters are needed to trigger a confidence vote in Sunak.

So they say.

He will win, then be gone in months. That's the SOP.
  • Options
    The latest Opinium for the Observer is effectively unchanged from two weeks ago (Tories 25, Labour 41, Reform 11, LDs 10. Labour lead 16.)

I think the Tories will take that as a plus.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Leon said:

The Aussies INVENTED the smashed avo on toast breakfast genre. And they also had the brilliant idea of adding vegemite (or marmite). And it really works for reasons I do not know
  • Options
    gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 476

Leon said:

It is avocado (called aguacarte in Colombia)