Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This reminds me of some Corbynites – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626

And for anyone who missed it, the result from the latest Saturday Morning Troll Hunt is in:

24 posts in 45 mins (active from 11.16 to 12.01).

And my personal highlight from this very brief innings was the suggestion of a causal link between the royal cancer diagnoses and the Covid Vaccine.
    It's the latest mRNA TwitterX meme.
    There are a lot of idiots out there (and bots).
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Nigelb said:

And for anyone who missed it, the result from the latest Saturday Morning Troll Hunt is in:

And my personal highlight from this very brief innings was the suggestion of a causal link between the royal cancer diagnoses and the Covid Vaccine.
    Oh, how disappointing to hear it wasn't even original
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 525
    algarkirk said:

Clarkman said:

This from mp george galloway.

the #Biden regime is found to be involved in the terrorist mass murder underway in Moscow a virtual state of war between the super-powers will exist #Russia #USA #Moscow

https://x.com/georgegalloway/status/1771250046605856856?s=20

There is a missing 'If' in the above. This error is the difference, so it seems, between WWIII If and world peace.

AI needs to up its game.

(Hope the good people of Rochdale are enjoying their new MPs rhetoric).
    As well as a missing "if", and the old-fashioned usage of "super-powers", there's an intrusive "virtual". If the Russian government publicly accuses the US government of involvement in the Crocus City Hall massacre, that's way beyond accusing them of involvement in the Nordstrom sabotage.

The US government warned its citizens in Russia of the risk of imminent terrorist attacks on "large gatherings". Presumably they warned the FSB of the risk too, giving them more intelligence than they put out publicly. Given the time-frame specified in the notice, it could be that one or more attacks were averted before yesterday's.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,225
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I understand why @rcs1000 was emotionally attached to the post about Brexit but it is not coherent either logically, practically or emotionally.

@RochdalePioneers (a Brexiter) has given us chapter and verse about some of the economic hurdles now in place. Two anecdotally and trivially from me are movements of horses to and from the EU and a very small luxury clothing business which now finds it too expensive to import from the EU.

But more important wrt the "decisions made closer to home" bullshit (soz) is that, in the words of that noble and fearless Brexiter David Davis, we were always s*v*r**gn. The tiniest number of things were subject to EU lawmaking (VAT on home energy and Droit de Suite for example and you have no idea what one of those is).

You guys keep bleating on about shoulda woulda coulda but you sound like all those mad communists still agitating for that system. A great idea just that no one has done it right.

And with that, we're back on topic. The "good idea, done badly, not gone far enough" is the sort of thing that devotees of St Jeremy The Martyr say as well.

The will of the people is pretty clearly that this isn't going well and is probably a mistake. There's not much enthusiasm for any alternative but the status quo is seen as rubbish. The only useful questions are what the British state does with that information and when?
    It's now more than ever that we are expected to embrace our national motto: mustn't grumble.
    If there is one thing Britons can unite around it is having a good moan. "Mustn't grumble" is superb British irony considering that is what we do most.
    There being a lot more than usual to grumble about right now

Good morning
    Oh I don't know about that. Things have been going to hell in a handcart for many years.
    Well yes. I now look back fondly to the 2012 London Olympics as the Cool Britannia swansong. It has been all downhill ever since.
    I recall one of Leon's previous incarnations waxing lyrical about our power and influence at the time.
    Now he's contemplating permanent self-exile.
    That’s got a lot more to do with age and weather than geopolitics. Sadly

I just can’t hack the British climate any more and it gets WORSE as you get older

Speaking of which, good morning from a beautiful wam and sunny Tayrona jungle. All I can hear is magnificently vivid birdlife and the rush of Caribbean waves

Colombia has 2000 bird species. All of Europe has 900

• Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 525
    ydoethur said:

Clarkman said:

This from mp george galloway.

the #Biden regime is found to be involved in the terrorist mass murder underway in Moscow a virtual state of war between the super-powers will exist #Russia #USA #Moscow

https://x.com/georgegalloway/status/1771250046605856856?s=20

Gosh. Are you really so useless you can't come up with *any* vaguely sane sources?

You'll be quoting Goebbels next.

Come on, make more of an effort.

At the moment whatever Putin is paying, you're not worth it.

Heck, even those losers at British Gas would give you the push. They can at least spell and punctuate, even if they can't lay out formal letters properly.
    It's a rare utility company nowadays that can write a letter without at least one run-on sentence.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Russian state news are reporting that Ukraine are behind the theatre attack, and they they apprehended suspects trying to flee West from Moscow towards the war zone.

It’s likely to be total bollocks of course, but that’s what they’re saying.

The problem for Putin is that

1) he was warned, specifically
    2) multiple ISIS small attacks were foiled recently in Russia
    3) he publicly rejected the warning
    4) part of the whole strongman schtick it that “this doesn’t happen if I am in charge”

They’re now saying that the Americans are something to do with it, because they issued a warning about an imminent attack - and why would they do that, unless they were behind it?

Wifey thinks that this is a pretext for an escalation of the war, or at least preparing Russians for another non-voluntary mobilisation of young men.
    I was thinking flag of convenience rather than false flag last night and details since then suggest it’s not even been competently spun by the Russian leadership since - it clearly caught them completely off guard. It’s a long time since serious jihadist attacks in Russia. They’ve been happy to watch and encourage them elsewhere but forgot about home.

Seems the attackers were Tajiks. So pure jihadist mentalists rather than something linked to Russian activity in Syria or the Sahel.

They’ll now try to spin some Ukraine connection but I’m not sure even Russians will buy that one.
    As I told you
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FPT, but I spent a lot of time writing it...

I must admit I'm confused by the idea that leaving the EU would have any significant impact on economic growth.

As a business owner, there are some tiny positives and some tiny negatives, but the reality is that we could always sell to anyone in the world, and we can always buy from anyone in the world. Tariffs are no different for selling to the EU as previously, and paperwork is very mildly worse.

Of course, as most exports from the UK are services anyway, the impact is essentially negligible, especially as most EU countries have implemented legislation to allow cross recognition of professional standards.

What is the mechanism by which EU membership is supposed to either massively boost or massively hinder economic growth?

The big issues companies (and economies face) is the availability of skilled employees, tax and benefits systems. Almost all of those are national competences. Hence the fact that some EU countries have done pretty well, and some have not.

We did better than the EU when we were members, largely because we had a great legal system, were open to inward investment, speak English, and have a flexible labour market.

On the other hand, we have an economy dominated by consumption, due to insufficient household savings. And that number is entirely due to UK government policies.

I support Brexit because I think it's better that decisions are taken closer to people, and Brexit allows that. I support because small and nimble is usually best. I regret the lack of FoM, which has made sourcing skilled engineers slightly harder. But I also recognize that the UK benefits system is essentially incompatible with FoM. I am not displeased to have avoided EU AI regulation, but I also know a couple of European companies that are doing some amazing work there, especially in the medical space, so I doubt it'll have as much effect as people think.

I regret that people have become so wedded to their views that they are unwilling to recognize that almost everything contains positives and negatives. And that those calculations will be different to individual people.

Most of all, I regret that people think Brexit is a cure all for problems that are essentially domestic: our insufficient household savings rate that causes our trade deficit, our inability to free up building regulation, our tax and benefits system that discourage lower skilled workers from finding employment, and most of all a vocational education system that is a pale shadow of those in Germany, Switzerland or Denmark.

That’s a verbose way of saying ‘yeah Brexit was won on a torrent of bullshit and this isn’t necessarily the Brexit I voted for but SOVEREIGNTEE!!!!’

I’m still fucking livid I’ve lost my EU citizenship. I’m still fucking livid I’ve lost my FoM. I’m still fucking livid that the Tory EU-phobic psychodrama has turned me into a second class citizen on my own continent. I’m fucking livid that it has reduced the Tory Party to the fucking right-wing culture war mess it is, and the baleful impact that has had on this country with policies designed to appeal to the basest impulses of the worst part of our population.

The main impact for me isn’t the economic impact - and though I don’t pretend to understand economics the most superficial google will bring you up reams of analysis of the massively detrimental impact of leaving the EU, particularly on small and medium businesses - including musicians who contribute so much to our economy - thanks in large part to new paperwork whose impact seems to be much larger than ‘very mildly worse’.

I’m fucking livid that really, Brexit isn’t about economics. It’s a project designed to make us a more Conservative country, a more right-wing country. A smaller state country. That’s what its funders want, that’s what the Tories want. They sold Brexit on a pack of lies, on mutually exclusive torrents of horseshit, and by tipping a nod and a wink to the most reactionary parts of this country that all their prayers would be answered. And your ‘regret’, quite frankly, boils my piss.
    Then stop fucking moaning, you stupid Remoaner twat, and persuade Starmer to call a Rejoin election. You will never get a better chance. He will have a stonking majority, the polls will be all in his favour, he can turn around and sadly say “things are so bad we need to do this”, his honeymooning voters will forgive him, and besides 70% of them will agree with him. So this is it - this year - after the election, you can actually stop Remoaning and do it. Rejoin. The chance will not come again - ask Blair

Except Starmer won’t do this. Why? BECAUSE he’s a Remoaner like you, and he’s terrified people will remember that he was Second Voter, he literally wanted to cancel democracy and annul the biggest democratic mandate in UK history. So he won’t go there and all you will do is carry on moaning. Cause you’re a Remoaner. It’s all you guys do

There should be a word for Beyond Pathetic: that’s you
    After three or four years of a quietly competent Starmer/Rayner/Reeves government we should have another referendum with a strong recommendation to Rejoin.
    That would settle the matter.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited March 23
    On the topic of Brexit, I had lunch with an academic friend of mine yesterday. He had been a vociferous Remainer, but was saying how good it was that his university could replace EU students paying home fees with overseas students paying international fees. So I heard much less from him than usual (in fact nothing at all now I think about it) about how wonderful the EU is.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    edited March 23

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

I must admit I'm confused by the idea that leaving the EU would have any significant impact on economic growth.

As a business owner, there are some tiny positives and some tiny negatives, but the reality is that we could always sell to anyone in the world, and we can always buy from anyone in the world. Tariffs are no different for selling to the EU as previously, and paperwork is very mildly worse.

Of course, as most exports from the UK are services anyway, the impact is essentially negligible, especially as most EU countries have implemented legislation to allow cross recognition of professional standards.

What is the mechanism by which EU membership is supposed to either massively boost or massively hinder economic growth?

The big issues companies (and economies face) is the availability of skilled employees, tax and benefits systems. Almost all of those are national competences. Hence the fact that some EU countries have done pretty well, and some have not.

We did better than the EU when we were members, largely because we had a great legal system, were open to inward investment, speak English, and have a flexible labour market.

On the other hand, we have an economy dominated by consumption, due to insufficient household savings. And that number is entirely due to UK government policies.

I support Brexit because I think it's better that decisions are taken closer to people, and Brexit allows that. I support because small and nimble is usually best. I regret the lack of FoM, which has made sourcing skilled engineers slightly harder. But I also recognize that the UK benefits system is essentially incompatible with FoM. I am not displeased to have avoided EU AI regulation, but I also know a couple of European companies that are doing some amazing work there, especially in the medical space, so I doubt it'll have as much effect as people think.

I regret that people have become so wedded to their views that they are unwilling to recognize that almost everything contains positives and negatives. And that those calculations will be different to individual people.

Most of all, I regret that people think Brexit is a cure all for problems that are essentially domestic: our insufficient household savings rate that causes our trade deficit, our inability to free up building regulation, our tax and benefits system that discourage lower skilled workers from finding employment, and most of all a vocational education system that is a pale shadow of those in Germany, Switzerland or Denmark.

That’s a verbose way of saying ‘yeah Brexit was won on a torrent of bullshit and this isn’t necessarily the Brexit I voted for but SOVEREIGNTEE!!!!’

I’m still fucking livid I’ve lost my EU citizenship. I’m still fucking livid I’ve lost my FoM. I’m still fucking livid that the Tory EU-phobic psychodrama has turned me into a second class citizen on my own continent. I’m fucking livid that it has reduced the Tory Party to the fucking right-wing culture war mess it is, and the baleful impact that has had on this country with policies designed to appeal to the basest impulses of the worst part of our population.

The main impact for me isn’t the economic impact - and though I don’t pretend to understand economics the most superficial google will bring you up reams of analysis of the massively detrimental impact of leaving the EU, particularly on small and medium businesses - including musicians who contribute so much to our economy - thanks in large part to new paperwork whose impact seems to be much larger than ‘very mildly worse’.

I’m fucking livid that really, Brexit isn’t about economics. It’s a project designed to make us a more Conservative country, a more right-wing country. A smaller state country. That’s what its funders want, that’s what the Tories want. They sold Brexit on a pack of lies, on mutually exclusive torrents of horseshit, and by tipping a nod and a wink to the most reactionary parts of this country that all their prayers would be answered. And your ‘regret’, quite frankly, boils my piss.
    Then stop fucking moaning, you stupid Remoaner twat, and persuade Starmer to call a Rejoin election. You will never get a better chance. He will have a stonking majority, the polls will be all in his favour, he can turn around and sadly say “things are so bad we need to do this”, his honeymooning voters will forgive him, and besides 70% of them will agree with him. So this is it - this year - after the election, you can actually stop Remoaning and do it. Rejoin. The chance will not come again - ask Blair

Except Starmer won’t do this. Why? BECAUSE he’s a Remoaner like you, and he’s terrified people will remember that he was Second Voter, he literally wanted to cancel democracy and annul the biggest democratic mandate in UK history. So he won’t go there and all you will do is carry on moaning. Cause you’re a Remoaner. It’s all you guys do

After three or four years of a quietly competent Starmer/Rayner/Reeves government we should have another referendum with a strong recommendation to Rejoin.
    LOL

you're off your head mate.

The EU has had enough of us and will not be rushing towards us with open arms. Currrently they have enough of their own problems liked budget shortfalls and angry farmers.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,242
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

I understand why @rcs1000 was emotionally attached to the post about Brexit but it is not coherent either logically, practically or emotionally.

@RochdalePioneers (a Brexiter) has given us chapter and verse about some of the economic hurdles now in place. Two anecdotally and trivially from me are movements of horses to and from the EU and a very small luxury clothing business which now finds it too expensive to import from the EU.

But more important wrt the "decisions made closer to home" bullshit (soz) is that, in the words of that noble and fearless Brexiter David Davis, we were always s*v*r**gn. The tiniest number of things were subject to EU lawmaking (VAT on home energy and Droit de Suite for example and you have no idea what one of those is).

You guys keep bleating on about shoulda woulda coulda but you sound like all those mad communists still agitating for that system. A great idea just that no one has done it right.

And with that, we're back on topic. The "good idea, done badly, not gone far enough" is the sort of thing that devotees of St Jeremy The Martyr say as well.

The will of the people is pretty clearly that this isn't going well and is probably a mistake. There's not much enthusiasm for any alternative but the status quo is seen as rubbish. The only useful questions are what the British state does with that information and when?
    It's now more than ever that we are expected to embrace our national motto: mustn't grumble.
    If there is one thing Britons can unite around it is having a good moan. "Mustn't grumble" is superb British irony considering that is what we do most.

Good morning
    Oh I don't know about that. Things have been going to hell in a handcart for many years.
    Well yes. I now look back fondly to the 2012 London Olympics as the Cool Britannia swansong. It has been all downhill ever since.
    But what about the wrong coloured flags on the kit in 2012? Surely that spoiled the whole thing.

On which topic next PM Penny Mordaunt is this morning showing she’s a serious politician for serious times:

https://x.com/pennymordaunt/status/1771168462267691183?s=46
    I’m going to make myself unpopular on here but I loathe the flag of St George and its connotations. It’s as historically ridiculous to associate it with England as three lions. What the heck have lions got to do with this country? Nothing at all. Nor has the myth of a dragon-slaying Cappadocian. Worse still, it has all become wrapped up in Crusader English nationalism of a particular kind. Yuck.

And don’t get me started on our execrable ’national’ anthem. It was lovely to hear the Welsh lustily singing a great tune the other night and Flower of Scotland is magnificent: the tune possibly more than the odd dodgy line - like La Marseillaise.

Anti-English rant over. Please excuse me.

p.s. I don’t agree with nations, nationhood, or national flags. We’re a human race
    comprising a multiplicity of different ethnicities, cultures, languages, and histories but essential one race. And we need to learn to get along.

Perhaps we will if one of Sean’s alien spaceships lands here. That’s if they don’t eat us.
    The three lions were Richard Coeur de Lion’s personal sigil. They’ve been a recognised symbol of England for some 850 years
    He spent most of his reign in France. Would've voted remain.
    What is now considered France. Was his kingdom then, as well as England.
    But you’re right; wouldn’t have thought of England (at least) as other than closely linked to Europe. Western Europe, anyway!
    Remainers: "Leavers are all backward-looking people obsessed with an idealised version of the 1950s that never existed."

Also Remainers: "Richard the Lionheart, 12th century monarch of the Angevin Empire, would have voted Remain."
    Perhaps we should do all the UK monarchs. The Scottish ones would generally be for remain - "Auld Alliance" and all that.

In fact, most of the English medieval ones were trying to develop European unions too.
    John, Henry VI and Stephen as arch-Brexiteers, along with Richard III.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,947

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

It will never settle the matter. Anyone who thinks it would doesn't understand either the EU or the UK.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Whenever the Remainer comments on here get too boring - nearly always - I generally ask Claude Opus 3 to write my reply. I can’t be arsed

Claude Opus 3 writes good replies in my own chosen style; I just sit back and sip superb Colombian coffee

Also, and with perfect piquance, I can only do this because I am outside the EU. The best AI chatbot in the world - the best A.I. - is not available in the EU because of stupid EU regulations. Yet you can use it in the UK. This is an Official Brexit Benefit brought to you, and predicted by, the Leave campaign
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

On Topic

When a cult takes over a political party there is a tendency to tell existing supporters to go and vote for somebody else, we saw this with SKS who literally said if you don't like the direction I am taking the party there's the door.

Jezza never said anything of that nature and 12.9m voted for him in 2017

In Jezza’s case there was no need sensible people left the Labour Party in disgust.

Which is why SKS had to say what he did as he wanted the left wing loonies to leave quietly which many of them have
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

It will never settle the matter. Anyone who thinks it would doesn't understand either the EU or the UK.
    I reckon a 'stay out' vote would settle it for good.

Paradoxically, a quietly competent government would make that more likely.
  • Options
    edited March 23

Oh I see that Covid injection -> cancer claim (without the Royal connection) daily
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,947
    Clarkman said:

Sad news about kate middleton too. Lots of young people getting cancer recently.

THERE IS A LINK BETWEEN TURBO CANCERS AND THE COVID VACCINES -

IT IS TIME THAT OUR GOVERNMENT AND ALL THE GOVERNMENTS THAT PUSHED THIS UNTESTED MEDICAL PROCEDURE ON IT’S PEOPLE THOROUGHLY LOOKED INTO IT AND INVESTIGATED THE MATTER.

https://x.com/JohnMappin/status/1771242898027082116?s=20

And there was me yesterday saying how much I was missing the Puto-bots.
  • Options

I suspect 30 of those 45 minutes was because no mod was nearby to press the ban button
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    The problem for Trump is if GOP Senate candidates turn away moderates that could also mean they turn away from him too
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,757
    Fishing said:

On the topic of Brexit, I had lunch with an academic friend of mine yesterday. He had been a vociferous Remainer, but was saying how good it was that his university could replace EU students paying home fees with overseas students paying international fees. So I heard much less from him than usual (in fact nothing at all now I think about it) about how wonderful the EU is.

It is clearly one of our best opportunities to improve our balance of payments situation. It is also clearly counter to the wish of many Brexiteers to have very low levels of immigration. (International students are not just temporary, a reasonable proportion end up staying on which matters when the govt sought to increase overseas student numbers both dramatically and from countries where a lot of the upper middle class want to emigrate to the West).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Looks like I missed Clarkman! Oh, well!

Awful scenes in Moscow overnight. I wonder why they (whowever "they" are) chose to attack the very same day Russia vetoed the US resolution on Gaza.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning
    But what about the wrong coloured flags on the kit in 2012? Surely that spoiled the whole thing.

On which topic next PM Penny Mordaunt is this morning showing she’s a serious politician for serious times:

I’m going to make myself unpopular on here but I loathe the flag of St George and its connotations. It’s as historically ridiculous to associate it with England as three lions. What the heck have lions got to do with this country? Nothing at all. Nor has the myth of a dragon-slaying Cappadocian. Worse still, it has all become wrapped up in Crusader English nationalism of a particular kind. Yuck.

And don’t get me started on our execrable ’national’ anthem. It was lovely to hear the Welsh lustily singing a great tune the other night and Flower of Scotland is magnificent: the tune possibly more than the odd dodgy line - like La Marseillaise.

p.s. I don’t agree with nations, nationhood, or national flags. We’re a human race
    comprising a multiplicity of different ethnicities, cultures, languages, and histories but essential one race. And we need to learn to get along.

Perhaps we will if one of Sean’s alien spaceships lands here. That’s if they don’t eat us.
    The three lions were Richard Coeur de Lion’s personal sigil. They’ve been a recognised symbol of England for some 850 years
    But you’re right; wouldn’t have thought of England (at least) as other than closely linked to Europe. Western Europe, anyway!
    Remainers: "Leavers are all backward-looking people obsessed with an idealised version of the 1950s that never existed."

Also Remainers: "Richard the Lionheart, 12th century monarch of the Angevin Empire, would have voted Remain."
    Perhaps we should do all the UK monarchs. The Scottish ones would generally be for remain - "Auld Alliance" and all that.

In fact, most of the English medieval ones were trying to develop European unions too.
    Henry VIII was a Leaver, he LEFT the Church of Rome.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,240

Nigelb said:

Why is it always on a Saturday?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

This is a good point. It’s the same paradox faced by the SNP. If they actually govern Scotland well and make it prosperous, support for YES could easily
    drop. People don’t vote for wrenching changes (esp after the trauma of Brexit) if they are affluent and contented. Brexit passed because enough people were angry

This is even more true for Remoaner Starmer. If he returns Britain to some sensible path and we do OK, the desire to Rejoin will fade - especially if the EU suffers (and I think it will likely suffer in the medium term as the main engine Germany now faces fundamental problems)
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

And where are we going to get one of those from ?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Clarkman said:

Sad news about kate middleton too. Lots of young people getting cancer recently.

THERE IS A LINK BETWEEN TURBO CANCERS AND THE COVID VACCINES -

IT IS TIME THAT OUR GOVERNMENT AND ALL THE GOVERNMENTS THAT PUSHED THIS UNTESTED MEDICAL PROCEDURE ON IT’S PEOPLE THOROUGHLY LOOKED INTO IT AND INVESTIGATED THE MATTER.

https://x.com/JohnMappin/status/1771242898027082116?s=20

And there was me yesterday saying how much I was missing the Puto-bots.
    This one is the worst yet. I guess like the Russian military their disinformation services are also scraping the bottom of the barrel.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Why is it always on a Saturday?
    It does point to normal workers asked to do something on their weekends to get brownie points

Today’s was lamentable. I knew we’d miss the brilliant @truman

I’m not sure he ever actually came out with pro-Putin talking points. Of if he did it was subtle
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Biden is really not holding back on Trump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yoe4KYuhw
  • Options
    edited March 23

On Topic

When a cult takes over a political party there is a tendency to tell existing supporters to go and vote for somebody else, we saw this with SKS who literally said if you don't like the direction I am taking the party there's the door.

But more people voted for TMay, and she won 55 more seats than he did.

BTW how many voted for Jezza in 2019?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

And where are we going to get one of those from ?
    I have to admit that's an unanswerable point,
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    edited March 23
    F1: annoyingly, the markets are almost all up except the group bets which can often be worthwhile (last race's Magnussen bet was a bit unlucky, as he had it on pace but decided to make stupid judgements and rack up 20s of penalties).

I'll give it a little bit longer, but may end up just keeping the Perez bet.

Edited extra bit: Perez has a 3 place penalty for impeding Hulkenberg. An early thought, I'll start consider, on Leclerc getting a podium would've been better value if the stewards didn't faff about but there we are.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Biden is really not holding back on Trump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5yoe4KYuhw

Just shows what can be done when you don't need to use your funds to pay lawyers' bills.
  • Options

On Topic

No matter how many times we tell him BJO still thinks Corbyn won the 2017 GE.
  • Options

On Topic

It's notable that he uses the same justification as Trump does for claiming the 2020 Presidential: namely I increased the number of votes I got; ergo I must have won.

p.s. As everyone else seems to have gone off for lunch I may as well talk to myself.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,228

eek said:

Heathener said:

I may be completely out of my mind, but I suspect the average UK citizen hasn't really noticed any effects from Brexit, mainly due to Covid and the various wars and general global economic downturn. What effect Brexit really has had is that it's turned our already chaotic and outdated political system into a complete shitshow, with the government ripping itself apart trying to appease its various factions rather than running the country competently.
    The country is a bit knackered, but due entirely to the government, not Brexit.

Sorry, no.

On a very simple level, everyone who goes abroad now can see what a bloody pain in the ass it is. That’s c. 100 million trips per year and rising. Roughly 1/3rd of us will go abroad this summer alone.

And if you talk to anyone at all who has business dealings with Europe they are tearing their hair out.

Likewise, bringing goods in from Europe has become an absolute pain in the proverbial.

Then there is services and entertainment, brought to its knees by covid and brexit. We are chronically short of overseas workers and shunting Nigerian nurses into the NHS is not exactly what people had in mind when they voted for the bloody thing.

I could go on and on. Brexit is to blame for a large part of this country's cock ups.
    I fly via Schiphol - don’t think I’ve ever had any hassle getting through immigration - it’s 5 minutes max and was the same previously when I was flying on a weekly basis
    Snap

I went though Schipol twice this week without any problems.
    Funny that there are fewer problems travelling at quieter times like the middle of March.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,788
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Edward 8th/Duke of Windsor had a good go too... :(
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Doesn't quite trip off the tongue, but the right idea.

Biden campaign tests Trump’s name-calling strategy with ‘Broke Don’
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4550498-biden-campaign-tests-trumps-name-calling-strategy-with-broke-don/

Really? I'm not sure it plays terribly well with people who actually are broke. They keep getting it badly, badly wrong.

There was an unexpectedly good essay on Radio 4 about this topic yesterday evening:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07vwr08
    Highly unexpected if it's John Gray.
    Speaking of which, @Andy_JS is still AWOL
  • Options

On Topic

It's notable that he uses the same justification as Trump does for claiming the 2020 Presidential: namely I increased the number of votes I got; ergo I must have won.

p.s. As everyone else seems to have gone off for lunch I may as well talk to myself.
    I was about to mention Trump too!

• Options
    Case for EVs, right there.

We've never seen anything like this.

13 out of the past 14 days, #WindWaterSolar supply has exceeded demand on California's grid.

Today's peak: 111.4% #WWS as a percent of demand.

100% reached today (Thu Mar 21) at 10:45.

https://twitter.com/mzjacobson/status/1770916026642792536
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

On Topic

I was about to mention Trump too!

Did you find some Lib Dems with spare time on their hands?
  • Options
    Tres said:

eek said:

Heathener said:

I may be completely out of my mind, but I suspect the average UK citizen hasn't really noticed any effects from Brexit, mainly due to Covid and the various wars and general global economic downturn. What effect Brexit really has had is that it's turned our already chaotic and outdated political system into a complete shitshow, with the government ripping itself apart trying to appease its various factions rather than running the country competently.

Sorry, no.

On a very simple level, everyone who goes abroad now can see what a bloody pain in the ass it is. That’s c. 100 million trips per year and rising. Roughly 1/3rd of us will go abroad this summer alone.

And if you talk to anyone at all who has business dealings with Europe they are tearing their hair out.

Likewise, bringing goods in from Europe has become an absolute pain in the proverbial.

Then there is services and entertainment, brought to its knees by covid and brexit. We are chronically short of overseas workers and shunting Nigerian nurses into the NHS is not exactly what people had in mind when they voted for the bloody thing.

I could go on and on. Brexit is to blame for a large part of this country's cock ups.
    I fly via Schiphol - don’t think I’ve ever had any hassle getting through immigration - it’s 5 minutes max and was the same previously when I was flying on a weekly basis
    Snap

I went though Schipol twice this week without any problems.
    Funny that there are fewer problems travelling at quieter times like the middle of March.
    I usually travel at 8-9am on a Monday morning - that’s peak business travel.

In fact I usually end up with longer waits if I travel on Thursday / Friday night when they only have 3-4 people on the border
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Doesn't quite trip off the tongue, but the right idea.

Biden campaign tests Trump’s name-calling strategy with ‘Broke Don’
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4550498-biden-campaign-tests-trumps-name-calling-strategy-with-broke-don/

Really? I'm not sure it plays terribly well with people who actually are broke. They keep getting it badly, badly wrong.

There was an unexpectedly good essay on Radio 4 about this topic yesterday evening:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07vwr08
    Highly unexpected if it's John Gray.
    Speaking of which, @Andy_JS is still AWOL
    His YouTube channel is still up and he's updating the playlists but he hasn't uploaded a vid for some time. I hope he's OK
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,420
    MattW said:

MattW said:

I see that last night Ukraine hit a Russian oil refinery again.

Re-hit. One they have attacked before.

Russians are saying the new Ukrainian drones are much more difficult to impact with electronic warfare measures. As much as 16% of Russian refining capacity has already been hit. It is disproportionately located in western Russia, in range of drones able to travel over 1,000 km - seemingly without facing any meaningful air defences.
    Shame the Severnaya Goldeneye satellite got blown up.
    If they can do 1000km they are not far from being able sensibly to reach the fleet in St Petersburg.
    Refineries have been hit near St Petersburg.

Refineries and airbases are probably higher value targets than the Baltic Fleet. Last I heard the Black Sea Fleet was still in hiding and refusing to leave port.
    I'd like to see a report on the damage at Engels (sp?) Airbase from the most recent raid.
    #RedStormRising

The one where they time the missile strike to catch the bombers on the ground, refuelling.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited March 23
    Heathener said:

Sorry, no.

There are some tragic stories of the impact it has had on small import/export businesses, if you care to go looking for them. And remember that the more punitive red tape and checks have so far been postponed, some yet to start until next month and some pushed off to the summer.

And as someone who contributes regularly to a number of pet travel forums, I can assure you that pet owners who travel are very much aware of the downside (that may be a minority interest, but it is the fastest growing category of tourism). The added cost and administrative hurdles when taking your pet abroad are significant, and there’s no compensating upside.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,855
    Afternoon all :)

One of the quieter sporting weekends as we bask in the interregnum between Cheltenham, the Boat Race, Aintree, the Cup semi-finals and the start of the new cricket season.

I rarely venture into the shark-infested waters of the EU debate but just to allow @Leon a chance to give whatever his latest toy is a runout, my two cents.

We won't go back anytime soon - what would be the point? The whole sideshow would just start again as it did from 1949 to 2016. Simply put, we have struggled to define our post-Imperial relationship with Europe just as we have with other parts of the world and still haven't got a coherent view.

A part of Europe but not apart from Europe, in Europe but not run by Europe, wordplay and juxtaposing prepositions can make us all feel smug (or not) but until we work out what we want the relationship to be we are, to use a hackneyed old expression, better off out.

The 43 years of half hearted, rebate obsessed, opt out filled membership satisfied no one - it didn't work for us, it didn't work for the EU. Yes, we wanted it to stay just as it was in 1973 - a common market, a free trading bloc of sovereign nations but that was never going to happen. Schumann and others painted a clear path to a united Europe, a European Federation with what we know as nations provinces in the greater whole.

A nation which has proudly asserted its independence (verbally if not factually in truth we've had little freedom of action since 1914) would never voluntarily give that up to a body in which it would be one voice among many - it's not NATO.

Rather like the social legislation of the 1960s, the decision of 2016 may come to be seen as flawed by some if not many but no one wants to go through the anguish of reversing it - we don't want it, the Europeans don't want it.
  • Options
    Coffee drinkers have much lower risk of bowel cancer recurrence, study finds
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/23/coffee-drinkers-much-lower-risk-bowel-cancer-recurrence-study
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/mar/23/coffee-drinkers-much-lower-risk-bowel-cancer-recurrence-study

Coffee has interesting health benefits, per Dr Moseley’s radio four podcasts, and interestingly it isn’t the caffeine that delivers them.
  • Options
    edited March 23

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Read the history, and it seems pretty apparent that he just wanted rid of his wife (to get an heir), and later the cash from the monasteries, and was somewhat surprised what wider changes those more politically savvy around him managed to piggy back upon it. It was his son that saw the advantages of aligning with the emerging Protestant view on the continent.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Edward 8th/Duke of Windsor had a good go too... :(
    Well, he suggested to French soldiers that if Britain and France joined together they would make an enormous fart.

I understand he got his genders mixed.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I'm trying to decide whether that makes up for the revolting taste.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197
    Clarkman said:

Clarkman said:

Yawn, these Russian prats must think we are REALLY dumb. What is the aim here, can anyone explain?

In theory, it's to spread rancour and despondency. In practice, it's to give us all a good chuckle, except for those who somehow aren't in on the joke.

Let's face it, we need a good chuckle.
    Indeed ukraine getting spanked by russia is funny.
    Hardly. And even the reverse wouldn't be that funny; it's still humans suffering because of the addled fantasies of an increasingly decrepit despot.

Still, I'm sure you're doing very good work.
    Indeed. Which is why peace is needed.
    Which, if your lot f*** off to whence they came, peace is exactly what we get.
  • Options
    I raised this last evening and it's still troubling me today.

Duke Ellington once opined "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing".

Regional polls show the swing from Conservative to Labour at 9.5% in London, 9% in Wales and 12.5% in Scotland yet the GB polls show a swing of 18%. There must be some huge swings in provincial England - I cited the Clacton constituency polling which showed a 24.5% swing (but the Conservatives still retaining the seat).

The movement was Conservative down 34 and Labour up 15 on 2019. We need much more evidence before conclusions are drawn but I would offer the theory Reform are polling best where the Conservatives are strongest. They are tearing chunks out of the Conservative vote while Labour advance. This means even seats with large Conservative majorities (20,000+) are vulnerable.

How does that equate to the hypothesis Reform voters will run back to the Conservatives at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder? Put simply, we don't know - what polling we have suggests no more than a third would vote Conservative were there to be no Reform candidate in their constituency.

Reform's problem is while leading figures like Tice and Farage are small state, tax cutting conservatives, the membership isn't - the membership wants money spent on the poorer areas where the WWC predominates. It remembers promises of "levelling up" and wants to see that so the long term future of Reform is more complex than the usual "they'll merge with the Tories".

IF there is a schism. some will go back to a populist Conservative Party but the next big thing in UK politics will the populist party on the other flank - socially conservative, patriotic, nationalist but interventionist - "spend our money on our people" for example. In five years we could be sitting there asking why this new group is tearing lumps out of the Labour vote in their strongholds.
  • Options
    stodge said:

One of the quieter sporting weekends as we bask in the interregnum between Cheltenham, the Boat Race, Aintree, the Cup semi-finals and the start of the new cricket season.

I rarely venture into the shark-infested waters of the EU debate but just to allow @Leon a chance to give whatever his latest toy is a runout, my two cents.

We won't go back anytime soon - what would be the point? The whole sideshow would just start again as it did from 1949 to 2016. Simply put, we have struggled to define our post-Imperial relationship with Europe just as we have with other parts of the world and still haven't got a coherent view.

A part of Europe but not apart from Europe, in Europe but not run by Europe, wordplay and juxtaposing prepositions can make us all feel smug (or not) but until we work out what we want the relationship to be we are, to use a hackneyed old expression, better off out.

The 43 years of half hearted, rebate obsessed, opt out filled membership satisfied no one - it didn't work for us, it didn't work for the EU. Yes, we wanted it to stay just as it was in 1973 - a common market, a free trading bloc of sovereign nations but that was never going to happen. Schumann and others painted a clear path to a united Europe, a European Federation with what we know as nations provinces in the greater whole.

A nation which has proudly asserted its independence (verbally if not factually in truth we've had little freedom of action since 1914) would never voluntarily give that up to a body in which it would be one voice among many - it's not NATO.

Rather like the social legislation of the 1960s, the decision of 2016 may come to be seen as flawed by some if not many but no one wants to go through the anguish of reversing it - we don't want it, the Europeans don't want it.

There is no need to fire up the Opus, I agree with all of this

Occasionally when I look at polls showing a large majority for Rejoin or an even larger one showing Bregret, then i think: ooh, it could happen

But then I calm down. The first two years of the Starmer government will be THE window of opportunity (cf Blair and the euro) but he won’t go through it because he’s innately cautious, a new vote will be agonising, and he is a Remoaning 2nd voter, and he’s terrified of people recalling this

Not gonna happen. After that the practical and political obstacles to Rejoin will only grow, especially as Europe swings populist right. Imagine trying to sell Rejoin to British lefties if France is led by Le Pen. Etc

It’s over and done. We’re out and out for good. There will be readjustments aplenty, however. See Switzerland
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Read the history, and it seems pretty apparent that he just wanted rid of his wife (to get an heir), and later the cash from the monasteries, and was somewhat surprised what wider changes those more politically savvy around him managed to piggy back upon it. It was his son that saw the advantages of aligning with the emerging Protestant view on the continent.
    Elizabeth !, Gloriana, our Great Virgin Queen (five times the monarch that her feckless father was) is the ultimate Royal Leaver. Patriotic Englishwoman, thinks foul scorn of the pathetic Remoaning Catholics, but is noble enough not to punch windows in their dog-loving souls
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Leon said:

stodge said:

There is no need to fire up the Opus, I agree with all of this

Occasionally when I look at polls showing a large majority for Rejoin or an even larger one showing Bregret, then i think: ooh, it could happen

But then I calm down. The first two years of the Starmer government will be THE window of opportunity (cf Blair and the euro) but he won’t go through it because he’s innately cautious, a new vote will be agonising, and he is a Remoaning 2nd voter, and he’s terrified of people recalling this

Not gonna happen. After that the practical and political obstacles to Rejoin will only grow, especially as Europe swings populist right. Imagine trying to sell Rejoin to British lefties if France is led by Le Pen. Etc

It’s over and done. We’re out and out for good. There will be readjustments aplenty, however. See Switzerland
    You don’t need to try to think about this.

The trajectory is towards where Norway is. Which the Tories, had they been clever, would have dropped us, but Labour will slowly, but surely, progressively return us. If the Tories are nearly wiped out, then quickly; otherwise, more slowly.
  • Options
    edited March 23
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Elizabeth !, Gloriana, our Great Virgin Queen (five times the monarch that her feckless father was) is the ultimate Royal Leaver. Patriotic Englishwoman, thinks foul scorn of the pathetic Remoaning Catholics, but is noble enough not to punch windows in their dog-loving souls
    I’m surprised that you thought this an appropriate moment to display your ever-astonishing if all too familiar, to long-term PB’ers, ignorance.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    F1: just sticking with the Perez bet (his odds are now out to 17 each way).
    https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2024/03/australia-pre-race-2024.html
  • Options
    I can see hummingbirds as I sip my morning cafe con leche

Life should always be like this

BREAKFAST WITH HUMMINGBIRDS

Is there any other animal which brings such immediate innocent delight to humans? Dolphins, perhaps. Lemurs maybe
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Apart from all that business of sending soldiers to Ireland and the Netherlands.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Regional polls show the swing from Conservative to Labour at 9.5% in London, 9% in Wales and 12.5% in Scotland yet the GB polls show a swing of 18%. There must be some huge swings in provincial England - I cited the Clacton constituency polling which showed a 24.5% swing (but the Conservatives still retaining the seat).

The movement was Conservative down 34 and Labour up 15 on 2019. We need much more evidence before conclusions are drawn but I would offer the theory Reform are polling best where the Conservatives are strongest. They are tearing chunks out of the Conservative vote while Labour advance. This means even seats with large Conservative majorities (20,000+) are vulnerable.

How does that equate to the hypothesis Reform voters will run back to the Conservatives at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder? Put simply, we don't know - what polling we have suggests no more than a third would vote Conservative were there to be no Reform candidate in their constituency.

Reform's problem is while leading figures like Tice and Farage are small state, tax cutting conservatives, the membership isn't - the membership wants money spent on the poorer areas where the WWC predominates. It remembers promises of "levelling up" and wants to see that so the long term future of Reform is more complex than the usual "they'll merge with the Tories".

IF there is a schism. some will go back to a populist Conservative Party but the next big thing in UK politics will the populist party on the other flank - socially conservative, patriotic, nationalist but interventionist - "spend our money on our people" for example. In five years we could be sitting there asking why this new group is tearing lumps out of the Labour vote in their strongholds.

The reform manifesto is a list of items that are mutually exclusive - but without the £350m on a bus that made them look vaguely plausible
  • Options
    edited March 23
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Apart from all that business of sending soldiers to Ireland and the Netherlands.
    Her entire reign was about English independence and fighting off control from mainland Europe (usually Spain, sometimes France via Scotland)

She was probably the most Leavery monarch in our history, after her maybe William of Orange? Victoria perhaps, but only because Britain was so puissant in her reign. Then Elizabeth II, definitely Leave; I suspect KCIII is Remain

Before the 14th century it gets harder. I guess Alfried the Great was probably Leave. Vortigern is hard to call. Leave tendencies - based mainly in the Red Wall - but also a foreign Remainy name
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Her entire reign was about English independence and fighting off control from mainland Europe (usually Spain, sometimes France via Scotland)

She was probably the most Leavery monarch in our history, after her maybe William of Orange? Victoria perhaps, but only because Britain was so puissant in her reign. Then Elizabeth II, definitely Leave; I suspect KCIII is Remain

Before the 14th century it gets harder. I guess Alfried the Great was probably Leave. Vortigern is hard to call. Leave tendencies - based mainly in the Red Wall - but also a foreign Remainy name
    With Alfred we are back to the 9th century and more than 1100 years of Brexit arguments. Surely that is enough, even for @Scott_xP ??
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

There was, in fact, a long running issue of papal supremacy in England, mixed up with early versions of what became Protestantism.

Lord Cobham - chum of Henry V. Until he wasn’t…

Wycliffe had a lot of noble support, as well.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

With Alfred we are back to the 9th century and more than 1100 years of Brexit arguments. Surely that is enough, even for @Scott_xP ??
    King Lud? Leaver

Gog and Magog? Remainers, remind me of Jolyon Maugham and AC Grayling

Before THAT I do admit it gets harder
  • Options
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

King Lud? Leaver

Maximus - Leaver.

Pertinax, Claudius and Caesar - Remainers.
  • Options
    There is a reason that the Reformation became a popular movement across most of previously Catholic Europe - even in many places where repression later enforced the counter-Reformation. Henry VIII was the means of religious change in England rather than its cause. Read a bit of Luther for some clues why
  • Options
    HUMMINGBIRD

Just wonderful

And now - on to meet our elder brothers. The Kogi! Last of the pre Colombian civilisations

• Options
    eek said:

stodge said:

The reform manifesto is a list of items that are mutually exclusive - but without the £350m on a bus that made them look vaguely plausible
    It will be interesting to see whether Tice and Farage even try to square the circle (why should they, no one else will) of greater spending vs lower taxes.

MY suspicion is they are small-state Thatcherites at heart which is curious because Boris Johnson isn't and neither are many of their supporters. They want the Johnsonian Manifesto of the magic money tree for the WWC which is why when (not if) Reform fractures only a few of the supporters will move over to the Conservative Party.

As was the case with the Social Democrats and Liberals in 1981 who tried unsuccessfully to exploit a galp between Thatcher's Conservatives and Foot's Labour, there is an opportunity to establish the alternative version of a populist party such as we are seeing in Germany. A socially conservative, economically nationalist, patriotic party of the working class, looking to spend public money on that group while maintaining a cultural identity based around a nationalist anti-immigrant outlook.

It is often the case when parties are at their strongest they are also at their weakest - the broader the tent the more likely it is to collapse under the weight of its contradictions.
  • Options
    I forgot Boudicca. Totally Leave. And a great campaigner. Kind of like Boris but with more rape and pillage and brutal castration of Roman priests by the Thames
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,120
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Also, has none of her own teeth. Classic Leave voter.
  • Options

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

Also, has none of her own teeth. Classic Leave voter.
    Droll

Also Edward II, pathetic moaning gaylord who ended up being sodomised to death in Berkeley Castle with a red hot poker - obvious Remainer. Probably a 2nd voter
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    I just saw that new Ghostbusters movie, which was pretty decent if flawed, but I will only say this - Walter Peck from the first movie was right the whole time.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,455
    stodge said:

eek said:

stodge said:

It will be interesting to see whether Tice and Farage even try to square the circle (why should they, no one else will) of greater spending vs lower taxes.

MY suspicion is they are small-state Thatcherites at heart which is curious because Boris Johnson isn't and neither are many of their supporters. They want the Johnsonian Manifesto of the magic money tree for the WWC which is why when (not if) Reform fractures only a few of the supporters will move over to the Conservative Party.

As was the case with the Social Democrats and Liberals in 1981 who tried unsuccessfully to exploit a galp between Thatcher's Conservatives and Foot's Labour, there is an opportunity to establish the alternative version of a populist party such as we are seeing in Germany. A socially conservative, economically nationalist, patriotic party of the working class, looking to spend public money on that group while maintaining a cultural identity based around a nationalist anti-immigrant outlook.

It is often the case when parties are at their strongest they are also at their weakest - the broader the tent the more likely it is to collapse under the weight of its contradictions.
    Roughly where the Continuity SDP have ended up, then? Who haven't really got anywhere. Partly because Farage does what he does very well, even if you don't like what he does.

But also because nobody is interested in funding or promoting left wing economic nationalism, and the threshold to break through is so high.

(Galloway is also in that "good at what he does, but boy I wish he didn't category". His pitch to WWC voters comes close as well.)

So we continue to have this contradiction between elite and popular national populism. As long as it remains an opposition voice it doesn't matter. But even Boris was struggling to hold the two together in office.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Leon said:

HUMMINGBIRD

Just wonderful

And now - on to meet our elder brothers. The Kogi! Last of the pre Colombian civilisations

No bad but out of focus.

Have you noticed the picture on my profile? The best photograph I've ever taken.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    Will a Labour government want to rejoin an EU with Le Pen as President of France?

Her niece describes it as a failed project that has left Europe a digital colony of America, an economic colony of China, and on the way to becoming a demographic colony of Africa and religious and cultural colony of Islam.

https://x.com/marionmarechal/status/1770894693481537884
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    edited March 23
    Leon said:

Is there any other animal which brings such immediate innocent delight to humans? Dolphins, perhaps. Lemurs maybe

Bumblebees, hedgehogs, dormice.

The one that tops it for me, along with hummingbirds, is the sea horse I saw many years ago off the coast of Kenya.
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 646
    I have read The Rising Down, by Alexandra Harris (nominally published last Thursday).

Fair disclosure: Initially I started reading only because a) I was sent a free copy by the publisher/author, and b) they/she included a free piece of Horsham gingerbread with it. I didn't know Horsham gingerbread was a thing, but it is, and it is delicious.

So too is this book: a glorious lyrical and passionate evocation of landscape, people and history. There is probably a technical term for this type of book, which other more learned readers will be able to identify, but I think of this as a mosaic history: each chapter taking an episode or personage from history, and turning over the details as if examining a flint from a downland field, before adding it to a narrative that is discontinuous but consistent; reiterating themes as they return, each time folded and deposited into a new form.

From the water bailiff on the Arun in the 1600s, naming the tributaries, fisheries and landowners, to the Henty family of Tarring who emigrate to Australia in the 1800s with their Southdown sheep and medieval church font, to SOE operatives training at Bignor before their brief careers and martyrdoms in Occupied Europe, to Polish refugees camped in the Storrington woodlands, making churches and schools, everyone is counted and everyone counts. William Blake and Jomo Kenyatta, Ivon Hitchens and Laurie Lee, Edward Elgar and John Constable, all feature, but no more (and no less) important than the villagers, labourers, clergymen and nurses who populate these pages, intricately woven in to her own story, her family and friends.

This is an absolute jewel of a book: Professor Harris grew up in West Sussex, and has maintained a love of the landscape of her childhood; she writes fluid and clear prose, like a downland stream; she has a talent for finding the best elements of each story, and a knack for finding the best stories to tell. Perhaps it means more to me because I am so familiar (though apparently not familiar enough!) with these landscapes and histories, but I am sure that even for those who do not live on or near the downs, there is still a huge amount of pleasure and profit to be found in this.
  • Options

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

I missed this prediction competition for the GE as I was off air for a long time whilst travelling. Presumably the comp is still open until the day itself? @Benpointer

You all know my views on this, resolutely stated over the past couple of years. So I’ll punt for the number of Cons MPs to be 80-130 after the GE, which equates to I don’t know what in terms of a Labour majority. I guess around 250?

If the comp is still open then I'd also like to enter, but predicting a hung Parliament.

At this juncture a Labour landslide looks more probable, but I'm stubborn.
    Why would the competition still be open? Predictions (usually) get easier the nearer you get to the event. A competition needs to have a deadline.
    Still, to predict an outcome that has become even less likely since the competition closed is brave!
    The way I look at it, if I'm proven right I get to play the genius (yes, I know, stopped clocks etc etc) and if I'm disastrously wrong then the Tories get the stuffing they thoroughly deserve. So it's a bit of a win-win.

The really brave prediction would be another Tory win, but not even I am that crackers.
    Bart and I used to predict that Boris Johnson would win the next election with an increased majority - a lot has happened since then! Perhaps enough that most people will forget the prediction.
    To be fair I said it was a possibility but I'd want to lay it at 2-1, and that I'd want at least 4-1 to back it.

But yes its certainly not a possibility (with or without Boris) anymore.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

Will a Labour government want to rejoin an EU with Le Pen as President of France?

Her niece describes it as a failed project that has left Europe a digital colony of America, an economic colony of China, and on the way to becoming a demographic colony of Africa and religious and cultural colony of Islam.

Mmm, let's take it back to how it was in the 1930s. All those proud independent sovereign states looking out for their own proud independent people.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Mmm, let's take it back to how it was in the 1930s. All those proud independent sovereign states looking out for their own proud independent people.
    Bit like this

• Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,209
    Stocky said:

Leon said:

Bumblebees, hedgehogs, dormice.

The one that tops it for me, along with hummingbirds, is the sea horse I saw many years ago off the coast of Kenya.
    I saw a tortoise in the wild in Athens last year. I had only thought of them as pets and not really paid attention to which countries they were native to - I had assumed North Africa or Asia. Made my day.

Domestically, you can’t beat an unexpected owl sighting. Or seeing a family of weasels or stoats trotting across the road in a line, half upright.
  • Options

New Thread

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,506
    On topic: One advantage Sherrod Brown has in Ohio is that he is anti-free trade.
    "Brown has criticized free trade with China and other countries. In a 2006 Washington Post article, Brown argued against free trade on the grounds that labor activism was responsible for the growth of the U.S. middle class, and that the U.S. economy is harmed by trade relations with countries that lack the kind of labor regulations that have resulted from that activism.[131]

In 2011, the Columbus Dispatch noted that Brown "loves to rail against international trade agreements."[132] Brown's book Myths of Free Trade argues that "an unregulated global economy is a threat to all of us."[133] In the book he recommends measures that would allow for emergency tariffs, protect Buy America laws, including those that give preference to minority and women-owned businesses, and hold foreign producers to American labor and environmental standards.[134] Brown was the co-author and sponsor of a bill that would officially declare China a currency manipulator and require the Department of Commerce to impose countervailing duties on Chinese imports."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherrod_Brown#Political_positions

Most economists may love free trade -- but many voters in the US don't.

(My own view: I think NAFTA has been a solid success, good for all three nations -- but I recognize that it is not especially popular in any of the three. Incidentally, it is a bipartisan success: RR proposed it, GHWB negotiated it, and BC got it ratified.

Trade with China, on the other hand, has been a mixed bag. For example, I think we here in the US are going to have to think very hard about their technology thefts. I have seen estimates of a trillion dollars stolen.)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980

malcolmg said:

MJW said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning
    Yup. The interesting thing about the 2012 Olympics is that in many ways it was a huge nostalgiafest for a recent past that was already receding into the rearview mirror. Danny Boyle. The Spice Girls. David Beckham, Underworld.

Even the sporting excellence too, as it was the peak of lottery and government funding for sport. Laura Trott retiring is kind of one of the last of that generation of athletes whose talent delivered golds on an incredible scale because of funding and a setup that was streets ahead of other nations. If Rishi Sunak hopes for a gold rush in Paris this year he is likely to be disappointed.

Very much the epilogue to the New Labour years and something that had already gone rather than the start of something new.
    Nobody really cares about the Olympics in any case. A bunch of unpopular sports thar few pay much attention too any other time, coupled with Mickey Mouse competitions in popular sports like golf, football and tennis.
    Almost as boring as the Commonwealth games. Both disappearing up their own fundamentals as people / sponsors realise they are crap.
    Morning Malc. What do you make of Scotland’s chances in the Euros?
    Afternoon , Long, very Long
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,506
    Here are two questions for Remainers: Are there any examples of the EU making substantial changes in policy in response to elections?

What conclusions can we draw from the low voter turnout in EU elections?

I am not asking those questions to be provocative; I would be delighted if there were positive answers to both.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

MJW said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning
    Yup. The interesting thing about the 2012 Olympics is that in many ways it was a huge nostalgiafest for a recent past that was already receding into the rearview mirror. Danny Boyle. The Spice Girls. David Beckham, Underworld.

Even the sporting excellence too, as it was the peak of lottery and government funding for sport. Laura Trott retiring is kind of one of the last of that generation of athletes whose talent delivered golds on an incredible scale because of funding and a setup that was streets ahead of other nations. If Rishi Sunak hopes for a gold rush in Paris this year he is likely to be disappointed.

Very much the epilogue to the New Labour years and something that had already gone rather than the start of something new.
    Nobody really cares about the Olympics in any case. A bunch of unpopular sports thar few pay much attention too any other time, coupled with Mickey Mouse competitions in popular sports like golf, football and tennis.
    Almost as boring as the Commonwealth games. Both disappearing up their own fundamentals as people / sponsors realise they are crap.
    Morning Malc. What do you make of Scotland’s chances in the Euros?
    Afternoon , Long, very Long
    !!
    @Anabobazina
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,114
    edited March 23
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Heathener said:

TimS said:

Heathener said:

pigeon said:

Heathener said:

Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Good morning

King Lud? Leaver

Presumably ur-Leon skeddadled from his prehistoric mud hole in West Britain to sunny Göbekli Tepe as fast as his short fat hairy legs could take him.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,114
    Bloody Yank fashion mavens comin’ over ‘ere and satirisin’ our sacred rituals.

I say our..

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,454
    DavidL said:

He'll be throwing his dentures at him next.