Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A new hope is needed for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717
    viewcode said:

The Guardian review of Chinese reactions to "Three Body Problem" quotes a viewer as saying it is "flat and shallow". Which, for all those of you who have read the books, is actually a spoiler... :smiley:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/22/netflix-3-body-problem-divides-viewers-china

I watched the first episode this evening (having read the books a while back). Thought it was great.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281

darkage said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Why on Earth does somebody earning nearly £100K need childcare support? Is the UK really that broken that childcare is now that expensive that people in the top 10% of earners can't afford it?

Pretty much.
    I remember when I had two kids under three: on any given day they went to nursery - and it wasn't a particularly fancy nursery - it cost me more than I earned in that day. I was basically working so I was still employable when they went to school.
    The cost of nursery seems to be that of moderate private school. In London, well over £1k per month, per child, full time.
    Yes. And you know, the nursery was fine. But it was a long way from private school quality.
    I can't understand why people still bring up children in London. It doesn't make any sense anymore. A house costs £800,000. Nursery costs at least £1000 a month. The shops seem to be money laundering enterprises and not real businesses. If you are starting from nothing you would need to both earn £100k. From what I can see people are increasingly not doing it anymore and dropping out.
    Most people don’t. Hence commuter belt, where you have the privilege of 90 minutes travel each way, each day…
    I love visiting London. But I’m so happy living in the Scottish countryside with fresh air and a short commute to work (same building). When I need to go to London it’s a cheap flight south.
  • Options

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

Tories now averaging 22.6% in the last 10* polls. At the start of the year they were averaging 25.3%. Labour now 44.6%, was 43.9%.

(* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election )

This stringing things out until the last possible moment isn't working out too well for Con is it?
    The Tories have been badly hit by the general European slowdown. The public haven't noticed how we have grown faster than the EU since we Brexited. We are still far too dependent on Europe.
    Indeed. We're held back by the EU. Even so we managed to grow our nominal GDP by an amazing 15% since 2016 while the EU only managed a miserable 21% growth.
    Going with GDP per capita figures and taking 2010 as a reasonable baseline (when the Tories were elected, before Brexit became an issue) the data is:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Unless you think the Brexit campaign and referendum pushed the UK up in 2016 which is perhaps why you want that as the baseline?
    The UK v EU comparison has limitations. Bulgaria and the UK were both in the EU, but they are undoubtedly different economies, so why compare them? What you want is to compare the UK in the EU with the UK out of the EU. You could do a before/after Brexit comparison, but there are obvious confounds. You want to compare the UK now with the counterfactual UK now had we stayed, which we can’t do.

It would be better to, at least, compare the UK over the period in question with more similar EU states. The Brexit vote or when Brexit actually happened seem more sensible time points to look at. One could try developing a full regression model, or maybe a full time series model — ARIMA, even GARCH — and look at Brexit in that.
    2016 is not a reasonable baseline as Brexit considerably affected the data already in 2016.

If you want a long term comparison it needs to be from before Brexit affected the data, which is why 2010 is a reasonable starting point.
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,110
    FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

Tories now averaging 22.6% in the last 10* polls. At the start of the year they were averaging 25.3%. Labour now 44.6%, was 43.9%.

(* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election )

This stringing things out until the last possible moment isn't working out too well for Con is it?
    The Tories have been badly hit by the general European slowdown. The public haven't noticed how we have grown faster than the EU since we Brexited. We are still far too dependent on Europe.
    Indeed. We're held back by the EU. Even so we managed to grow our nominal GDP by an amazing 15% since 2016 while the EU only managed a miserable 21% growth.
    Point of order: EU GDP in 2016 included the UK, so I very much doubt that is true.

Furthermore, I think it's more useful to discuss GDP per capital.
    25% UK 35% EU per capita increase PPP since 2016 World Bank figures, which I have to admit surprise me.
    It is laughable that you are comparing to 2016. At the time you lot said that the reason we didn't have the mass unemployment and interest spike predicted because we were doing great because we were still in the EU. Now you are trying to claim a period of EU membership shackles as part of the post-Brexit age.

No, the right time period to compare to is after we left the EU, de jure and de facto. We fully left on 31 December 2020. That is the measurement date.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,042

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

Going with GDP per capita figures and taking 2010 as a reasonable baseline (when the Tories were elected, before Brexit became an issue) the data is:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Unless you think the Brexit campaign and referendum pushed the UK up in 2016 which is perhaps why you want that as the baseline?
    The UK v EU comparison has limitations. Bulgaria and the UK were both in the EU, but they are undoubtedly different economies, so why compare them? What you want is to compare the UK in the EU with the UK out of the EU. You could do a before/after Brexit comparison, but there are obvious confounds. You want to compare the UK now with the counterfactual UK now had we stayed, which we can’t do.

It would be better to, at least, compare the UK over the period in question with more similar EU states. The Brexit vote or when Brexit actually happened seem more sensible time points to look at. One could try developing a full regression model, or maybe a full time series model — ARIMA, even GARCH — and look at Brexit in that.
    It's a very good point: when we were members of the EU, we were outperforming the Eurozone in particular by around a percent a year since the GFC.

That said... my reasons for wanting to leave the EU were entirely economics free. I doubt membership makes a meaningful difference to growth rates in the medium term, compared to domestic policy decisions.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

It's a very good point: when we were members of the EU, we were outperforming the Eurozone in particular by around a percent a year since the GFC.

That said... my reasons for wanting to leave the EU were entirely economics free. I doubt membership makes a meaningful difference to growth rates in the medium term, compared to domestic policy decisions.
    Yet the fact we still outgrew the EU since we left in 2020, despite the clearly terrible effect of the Truss premiership, shows how bad the EU is doing.
  • Options

Bet Kate was tempted to end her video with "So, fuck you social media twats!"

Though to be fair to said twats this video directly contradicts last week’s farm shop video…
    She can still go out and about in private, surely?
    Which one? The “Kate” at the farm shop looks nothing like the Kate in today’s video.
    Give it a rest!

The lesson today should be to stop with the conspiracy theories, not to continue with them.
    The reason for the conspiracy theories was that they were hiding something. Now she is within her rights to do so, health is a very personal thing. But the information vacuum got filled. The farm shop thing seems to have been an unrelated stunt. I have no belief that the Mother’s Day photo was real.

I have huge sympathy for her. It won’t be an easy time. But saying that the lesson should be to stop with the conspiracy theories when there really was something ‘up’ is wide of the mark.
    There was nothing stopping people going, “This seems odd, but let’s respect Kate’s privacy at this time.” No, people had to come up with wild explanations that turned out to be nonsense. Maybe your desire to fill the “information vacuum” is less important than respecting someone’s right to have medical treatment without being bothered?

There was no farm shop stunt. William and Kate went to a farm shop and someone took a video of them. This point blank refusal to countenance that the truth is that boring is basically the same as some Americans believing Trump isn’t a fraudster who lost the 2020 election.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,413
    edited March 22
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

I’ve just discovered that Claude - the best A.I. chatbot in the world as of today - is not available in the EU due to the EU’s ridiculous new laws and general wankiness

So there. That’s a tangible Brexit benefit, you can use the best A.I. in the world because we quit the EU, and those poor saps still trapped in the Brussels quagmire cannot

Moreover this is a belated vindication of one of the Leavers’ key arguments. That we would escape the regressive interfering EU regulations
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,711

Carnyx said:

Been out all day, did this get covered? The Sun positioning itself to back the winner again:

https://x.com/MrHarryCole/status/1770942616072323517?s=20

I haven't been following this story but, if true, what on earth were they thinking?

You don't touch the national flag. Ever.

It almost killed British Airways when they did all the wacky tailfins 20 years ago. And Woke wasn't even a thing then.
    20? That was in Mrs T's time, surely.
    It was.

BA found some idiots who told them to ditch the whole “British thing”

So they came up with a bunch of designs which were mind blowingly average. Sort of middle class white 12 year old does Tribal Art for the end of year completion.

Mrs Thatcher was shown this at a trade fair and reacted by wrapping a handkerchief around the tail of the model

Within days, Richard Branson announced that if BA didn’t want to be the national flag carrier, Virgin would.
    And rightly so.

This smacks of a lot of Boardroom Liberals who all think everyone thinks the same as them, or should do so.

It's very difficult to get them to see another point of view, when they're like that, or even take such a thing seriously, so I bet either (a) no-one spoke up against it sensing this or, (b) if they did, were either laughed at or summarily dismissed, possibly both.

And they probably droned on about the importance of psychological safety so people felt free to air views at the same time.
    No, it wasn’t about liberals and politics. This was the time of aviation deregulation and freedom of the skies. They wanted to become a global carrier and worried their obvious Britishness made them look too much like an airline you’d only take to and from the UK. BA also had a stuffy identity to foreign travellers. The new livery was about globalising the brand and attempting to compete with the more informal style of Virgin Atlantic. Looking back now it was a pretty good rebrand.

Might have been naive of them not to expect a contrived tabloid backlash, but people trying to give it a retrospective woke badge are getting the wrong end of the stick.
  • Options

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

2016 is not a reasonable baseline as Brexit considerably affected the data already in 2016.

If you want a long term comparison it needs to be from before Brexit affected the data, which is why 2010 is a reasonable starting point.
    Why 2010, when Brexiting seemed unlikely? 2015 when a government was elected with a pledge to hold a referendum might make sense.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,353
    Donkeys said:

Been out all day, did this get covered? The Sun positioning itself to back the winner again:

I haven't been following this story but, if true, what on earth were they thinking?

It almost killed British Airways when they did all the wacky tailfins 20 years ago. And Woke wasn't even a thing then.
    Altering national flags is not just for national-branded airlines and wokers nowadays. It's getting to be a kinda thang for the far right:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/14/london-police-defy-ban-on-badges-linked-to-far-right-and-white-supremacy

Perhaps this is a window on the difference between fascism and conservatism.

Meanwhile the strapline in the Times is hilarious:

"The prime minster joined Sir Keir Starmer, as well as Nigel Farage and Lee Anderson, in speaking out against the change to the flag on the England kit collar".

Ed Davey was slow off the mark, or nobody cares what he says?
    Who?

Oh yeah, you kinda forget.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

I’ve just discovered that Claude - the best A.I. chatbot in the world as of today - is not available in the EU due to the EU’s ridiculous new laws and general wankiness

So there. That’s a tangible Brexit benefit, you can use the best A.I. in the world because we quit the EU, and those poor saps still trapped in the Brussels quagmire cannot

Moreover this is a belated vindication of one of the Leavers’ key arguments. That we would escape the regressive interfering EU regulations
    And after April this year, we will be phasing out virtually all low skill immigration. A combination of Brexit and income thresholds on visas. The only way in for a low income Asian or African peasant will be signing up for the NHS for years. Something conservative Muslims that don't want to touch the opposite sex won't do.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Surely that means our EU brethren have a few more years before they need to BRACE?
  • Options

The POTS switch off and forcing everyone onto digital voice is going to be an absolute disaster, a scandal waiting to unfold.

Ofcom have manifestly failed in their duty to protect the public. Before Openreach were allowed to do it, they should have mandated bolstering the mobile networks and requiring backup power in the case of a power cut. On the current trajectory people are going to be left cut off.

Having a copper line won’t do much good, when the power goes out. How many yards of copper to the cabinet? And what happens when the cabinet goes out? They don’t run off wind up rubber bands…
    The POTS system works through most power cuts and storms, assuming your phone can get its power from the line which some still can. For example my elderly parents rely on it.
    Most of it will go out, even with quite localised power cuts.

If you want resiliency, buy an Iridium phone. Or, not long from now, your cellphone will get reception from low earth orbit. Literally.
    Not in the recent power cuts they've had, the phone continued to work.

I am supportive of the switch, I just think Ofcom should have strengthened the mobile networks first as this is what people will rely on in the event the broadband goes down - and these are not good enough as acknowledged by the need of the SRN.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385
    rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Agreed on bold.

A government can only do so many things at once. The next government could either waste its time obsessing about the UK's relationship with the EU, or it could do something effective about improving skills training, business investment, finance availability, etc, that would help improve Britain's economic performance.

It's possible a new government will do neither, but it should at least try to do the right thing.

Britain has already wasted a decade because of Brexit. Another wasted decade isn't going to help.
  • Options

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Why 2010, when Brexiting seemed unlikely? 2015 when a government was elected with a pledge to hold a referendum might make sense.
    The obvious comparison without cherry picking years or countries is to compare since we actually left and with the whole EU. Something Europhiles are trying to desparately not mention.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Donkeys said:

Altering national flags is not just for national-branded airlines and wokers nowadays. It's getting to be a kinda thang for the far right:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/oct/14/london-police-defy-ban-on-badges-linked-to-far-right-and-white-supremacy

"The prime minster joined Sir Keir Starmer, as well as Nigel Farage and Lee Anderson, in speaking out against the change to the flag on the England kit collar".

Who?

Silly Ed Davey, not engaging with the most vitally important political issue of the day.
  • Options
    What’s more, the EU’s innate AI handicap is going to get worse not better. This is by far the most important technology in the world, this is the future for us all (like it or not). This will change how economies function and those that seize the moment will prosper

The leading A.I. countries are the USA then China. Then probably the UK, France and Canada

Only France figures from the EU. So the EU is already struggling with its A.I. future. And what is their reaction? To introduce the tightest international AI regulation anywhere, making sure they really crush any A.I. start ups and scaring off the overseas companies

https://reason.com/2024/03/22/european-unions-ai-law-will-heavily-regulate-a-technology-lawmakers-dont-understand/
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Respect.

Fared is a Syrian journalist who has suffered immensely under Russian bombardment for nearly an entire decade.

This was his immediate reaction to the Moscow attacks.

A lesson in humanity.

Taking glee in the murder of innocents is what his enemy does, and he is not his enemy.

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1771298383833043285

“ Any attack targeting civilians is a terrorist attack.”

• Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Claude is nowhere near as good as the Pro version of Gemini.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518

The POTS switch off and forcing everyone onto digital voice is going to be an absolute disaster, a scandal waiting to unfold.

Ofcom have manifestly failed in their duty to protect the public. Before Openreach were allowed to do it, they should have mandated bolstering the mobile networks and requiring backup power in the case of a power cut. On the current trajectory people are going to be left cut off.

Having a copper line won’t do much good, when the power goes out. How many yards of copper to the cabinet? And what happens when the cabinet goes out? They don’t run off wind up rubber bands…
    The POTS system works through most power cuts and storms, assuming your phone can get its power from the line which some still can. For example my elderly parents rely on it.

If you want resiliency, buy an Iridium phone. Or, not long from now, your cellphone will get reception from low earth orbit. Literally.

I am supportive of the switch, I just think Ofcom should have strengthened the mobile networks first as this is what people will rely on in the event the broadband goes down - and these are not good enough as acknowledged by the need of the SRN.
    The mobile network would require major rebuilding to be be power cut resilient. Batteries and solar panels all over the place, not mention satellite back haul.
  • Options
    WillG said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Yet the fact we still outgrew the EU since we left in 2020, despite the clearly terrible effect of the Truss premiership, shows how bad the EU is doing.
    It also shows that the UK had a worse 2020 thanks to covid and then a sharper bounce back.
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Yes. I heard about that. Luckily, Claude isn't too fussed by VPNs.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    @Leon on flowering trees. One of the best things about Australia is watching 30,000 flying foxes (gigantic bats) gorging on eucalyptus nectar. We have a group that visit the tree outside the window like clockwork.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Donkeys said:

Who?

He needs better branding. He’s already a “Sir” but it doesn’t work

He should be a duke. Duke Ed Davey. And wear suits made out of shimmering scarlet metallic foil and a pink wizard’s hat all the time. And he could levitate

Imagine Duke Davey literally FLOATING into the Lib Dem conference through an upstairs window in
    his vermillion metal suit and pink wizards hat

There’s no way the media would ignore that. No more “forgetting about the Lib Dems”
  • Options
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

It was.

So they came up with a bunch of designs which were mind blowingly average. Sort of middle class white 12 year old does Tribal Art for the end of year completion.

Mrs Thatcher was shown this at a trade fair and reacted by wrapping a handkerchief around the tail of the model

Within days, Richard Branson announced that if BA didn’t want to be the national flag carrier, Virgin would.
    And rightly so.

This smacks of a lot of Boardroom Liberals who all think everyone thinks the same as them, or should do so.

It's very difficult to get them to see another point of view, when they're like that, or even take such a thing seriously, so I bet either (a) no-one spoke up against it sensing this or, (b) if they did, were either laughed at or summarily dismissed, possibly both.

And they probably droned on about the importance of psychological safety so people felt free to air views at the same time.
    No, it wasn’t about liberals and politics. This was the time of aviation deregulation and freedom of the skies. They wanted to become a global carrier and worried their obvious Britishness made them look too much like an airline you’d only take to and from the UK. BA also had a stuffy identity to foreign travellers. The new livery was about globalising the brand and attempting to compete with the more informal style of Virgin Atlantic. Looking back now it was a pretty good rebrand.

Might have been naive of them not to expect a contrived tabloid backlash, but people trying to give it a retrospective woke badge are getting the wrong end of the stick.
    A pretty good rebrand - apart from being hated by the customers and staff, it had to be ditched in a hurry, otherwise Virgin would have staked a claim to being the literal flag carrier.

So apart from the customers, the staff and getting binned by management….

That’s the kind of success that only NU10K celebrates.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,955
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Pro 1.5. Pro 1.0 is very much not as good.

Also, I'd still say claude 3 'opus' is better then Gemini 1.5 for a lot of use-cases.

At least based on my experiments so far with the API.
  • Options

The mobile network would require major rebuilding to be be power cut resilient. Batteries and solar panels all over the place, not mention satellite back haul.
    They could mandate longer generator periods, at the moment it's half an hour to an hour. They should mandate longer, hours at least.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Agreed on bold.

A government can only do so many things at once. The next government could either waste its time obsessing about the UK's relationship with the EU, or it could do something effective about improving skills training, business investment, finance availability, etc, that would help improve Britain's economic performance.

It's possible a new government will do neither, but it should at least try to do the right thing.

Britain has already wasted a decade because of Brexit. Another wasted decade isn't going to help.
    Just as the EU was blamed for all our economic travails before 2016, Brexit is blamed for everything since.

And in truth, it almost certainly had no more than a negligible effect either way.

Most economic policies are domestic. You can be a successful exporter and an EU member. And you can be a complete fuck up too.

Blaming other entities for your problems just means you aren't doing the hard work to fix them yourself.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

I’ve used both and find Claude better. But of course it depends what you want to do
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

I’ve used both and find Claude better. But of course it depends what you want to do
    You don't have access to the Pro version of Gemini unless you are a Google technology partner. You may have access to the paid version, but that is not the same.
    Fair enough. I’m talking about the paid version of Gemini. I didn’t realise there was a VIP version

Now I’m intrigued! In what ways is it better? Any examples you can show?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Something I wasn’t aware of; kinda sucks, on top of everything else.

Because I'm in a discussion of menopause on a more civilized SM site, let me say this abt Princess Kate.

When pre-menopausal women get cancer treatment--if the cancer involves bits affected by hormones, like guts--it sends those women into instant chemical menopause.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1771310362698141827
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,762
    edited March 22
    WillG said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

Point of order: EU GDP in 2016 included the UK, so I very much doubt that is true.

25% UK 35% EU per capita increase PPP since 2016 World Bank figures, which I have to admit surprise me.
    It is laughable that you are comparing to 2016. At the time you lot said that the reason we didn't have the mass unemployment and interest spike predicted because we were doing great because we were still in the EU. Now you are trying to claim a period of EU membership shackles as part of the post-Brexit age.

No, the right time period to compare to is after we left the EU, de jure and de facto. We fully left on 31 December 2020. That is the measurement date.
    OK. Let me adjust.

We're held back by the EU. Between 2019 the last year before Brexit on 31 January 2020 and 2022 the last year for which the World Bank has data the EU only managed a miserable 9% GDP growth. The UK on the other hand grew an amazing ... Sorry it fell by an amazing 6%>
  • Options
    The fawning over the Royal Family really is utterly pathetic.

It's very sad somebody has cancer. Lots of people have cancer.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Because I'm in a discussion of menopause on a more civilized SM site, let me say this abt Princess Kate.

When pre-menopausal women get cancer treatment--if the cancer involves bits affected by hormones, like guts--it sends those women into instant chemical menopause.

Yes it’s sadly true. Its very ageing for women in that way - happened to someone in my family

Poor Kate. Poor William. Their poor kids

Hopefully they’ve caught something at the earliest possible stage and her treatment will be brief and successful. What a grim time for them
  • Options
    Leon said:

What’s more, the EU’s innate AI handicap is going to get worse not better. This is by far the most important technology in the world, this is the future for us all (like it or not). This will change how economies function and those that seize the moment will prosper

The leading A.I. countries are the USA then China. Then probably the UK, France and Canada

Only France figures from the EU. So the EU is already struggling with its A.I. future. And what is their reaction? To introduce the tightest international AI regulation anywhere, making sure they really crush any A.I. start ups and scaring off the overseas companies

https://reason.com/2024/03/22/european-unions-ai-law-will-heavily-regulate-a-technology-lawmakers-dont-understand/

The main UK lead in AI was gutted a few days ago. The EU is left with it's "world beating" regulation, and the UK is left with it's "world beating" `curl -X POST` experts. Maybe Rishi should arrange another meeting... or something.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

The main UK lead in AI was gutted a few days ago. The EU is left with it's "world beating" regulation, and the UK is left with it's "world beating" `curl -X POST` experts. Maybe Rishi should arrange another meeting... or something.
    France has Mistral. Hopefully Mistral will flee Paris for london (they lobbied strongly against this new EU law)
  • Options

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

It was.

And rightly so.

A pretty good rebrand - apart from being hated by the customers and staff, it had to be ditched in a hurry, otherwise Virgin would have staked a claim to being the literal flag carrier.

Tailfins aside 90% of the rebrand is still with us now. It has stood the test of time. Out went the awkward stuffy triangles, in came the new font (still in use) and the flowing ribbon logo (still in use).

The tailfins divided opinion (well few people really cared but the tabloids claimed to) but look at them now and they are entirely uncontroversial. They were a little ahead of their time - more noughties than 90s.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

Yes but even republicans must recognise it is very difficult for any family to have both the grandfather and daughter in law with cancer at the same time
  • Options
    BatteryCorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorse Posts: 906
    edited March 22
    HYUFD said:

Yes but even republicans must recognise it is very difficult for any family to have both the grandfather and daughter in law with cancer at the same time
    I am not a republican.

Lots of families have people with more than one person having cancer. I am afraid the Royal Family are in no way unique in that respect and undoubtedly get better treatment and outcomes than most people. That's not to say it isn't sad - it just is pathetic the attention it all gets.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited March 22
    £100,000 a year is not a high salary, in Surrey, says Chancellor and multi millionaire Jeremy Hunt as he and ex Goladman Sachs son in law of a billionaire PM Rishi continue to show their common touch!
    https://x.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1771178427602686228?s=20
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgdly318jeo
  • Options
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

You don't have access to the Pro version of Gemini unless you are a Google technology partner. You may have access to the paid version, but that is not the same.
    Fair enough. I’m talking about the paid version of Gemini. I didn’t realise there was a VIP version

Gemini Pro 1.5 went general-access today (or yesterday, depending on your timezone).

It's quite a step up from regular gemini - but as you say, depends what you want to do. I'd still put Claude Opus above it.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,914
    HYUFD said:

£100,000 a year is not a high salary, in Surrey, says Chancellor and multi millionaire Jeremy Hunt as he and son in law of a billionaire PM Rishi continue to show their common touch!
    https://x.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1771178427602686228?s=20
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/crgdly318jeo

"New living wage just dropped" is being WhatsApped about.

However crass that statement is in the SE, imagine how it's going down elsewhere.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

UK +16%
    EU +9%

Gemini Pro 1.5 went general-access today (or yesterday, depending on your timezone).

It's quite a step up from regular gemini - but as you say, depends what you want to do. I'd still put Claude Opus above it.
    The most dazzling verbal stuff I’ve seen from ai recently has all been from Claude opus

OpenAI need to really shine with GPT5 - but they seem very confident that it will
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,344
    Nigelb said:

Can I just say that when my wife had her hysterectomy when she too was 42 she went into instant menopause
  • Options
    Crikey I missed this. There is so much A.I./tech news

Musk’s Neuralink might be close to curing blindness

“BREAKING: Elon Musk just confirmed that the Blindsight implant is already working in monkeys.

Blindsight is the next Neuralink product after Telepathy. Its aim will be to work on restoring the vision of someone who was born blind.”

https://x.com/cb_doge/status/1770818578935091213?s=20

Imagine. The end of blindness. Extraordinary
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,502
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The villains in Moscow look like calm professional soldiers, well versed in using guns

Which supports several different theses. Chechen soldiers angry at Putin? Islamists who want payback for Syria? Hired assassins doing a false flag?

Playing devil's advocate: what expertise do you have to know the difference between 'calm professional soldiers, well versed in using guns', and some yokels who have been playing with AK-47s in the backwoods?

Soldiering is about more than firing guns; terrorism is sadly much simpler. But soldiers can be terrorists (see events passim).
    Sadly, I’m basing this opinion on the many hundreds of videos I’ve now watched - as we have all watched - of solders and terrorists and mass shooters in action

There is a certain type that you can spot. They do it methodically and calmly, they don’t shout or rant, they barely break a sweat. They don’t run anywhere: they maybe jog; there is zero emotion

It looks “professional”, it certainly looks like they have shot people before

So my guess would be soldiers more likely than religious militants

But yes, it’s just a guess from an amateur on a balcony in a jungle in Colombia
    I haven't, why on God's green earth would I? I don't need that in my brain thanks.
    Because it’s impossible to avoid? If you’ve managed to never watch a video or murder or shooting or terrorism in the last 20 years of social media and universal camera phones then bravo, that’s impressive
    Thanks, but I don't really think it is very impressive. Perhaps it's because I don't Tweet socially.

I have been watching re-runs of Dempsey and Makepeace recently though, and that is surprisingly violent.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488

The Royal Family are newsworthy because, like it or not, they inhabit positions of prominence in our culture and society.

I don’t deny that coverage can be a bit much, but surely you must realise there’s a reason why this is treated the way it is?
  • Options
    Leon said:

“BREAKING: Elon Musk just confirmed that the Blindsight implant is already working in monkeys.

Blindsight is the next Neuralink product after Telepathy. Its aim will be to work on restoring the vision of someone who was born blind.”

Elon Musk has claimed lots of things over the years. A lot of it has turned out to be BS.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

It was.

And rightly so.

Tailfins aside 90% of the rebrand is still with us now. It has stood the test of time. Out went the awkward stuffy triangles, in came the new font (still in use) and the flowing ribbon logo (still in use).

The tailfins divided opinion (well few people really cared but the tabloids claimed to) but look at them now and they are entirely uncontroversial. They were a little ahead of their time - more noughties than 90s.
    They ditched the entire non-British rebrand, used the Union flag design for the entire fleet (originally for Concorde only IIRC) and that was a success?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The villains in Moscow look like calm professional soldiers, well versed in using guns

Which supports several different theses. Chechen soldiers angry at Putin? Islamists who want payback for Syria? Hired assassins doing a false flag?

Playing devil's advocate: what expertise do you have to know the difference between 'calm professional soldiers, well versed in using guns', and some yokels who have been playing with AK-47s in the backwoods?

Soldiering is about more than firing guns; terrorism is sadly much simpler. But soldiers can be terrorists (see events passim).
    Sadly, I’m basing this opinion on the many hundreds of videos I’ve now watched - as we have all watched - of solders and terrorists and mass shooters in action

There is a certain type that you can spot. They do it methodically and calmly, they don’t shout or rant, they barely break a sweat. They don’t run anywhere: they maybe jog; there is zero emotion

It looks “professional”, it certainly looks like they have shot people before

So my guess would be soldiers more likely than religious militants

But yes, it’s just a guess from an amateur on a balcony in a jungle in Colombia
    I haven't, why on God's green earth would I? I don't need that in my brain thanks.
    Because it’s impossible to avoid? If you’ve managed to never watch a video or murder or shooting or terrorism in the last 20 years of social media and universal camera phones then bravo, that’s impressive
    It's very easy to avoid, unless you're a sick ghoul who hunts it out. I see them occasionally, and rapidly try to skip over them.

You seem to revel in them, and telling people about them.
    Yes whatever YAWN. It’s news. I am interested in news. I watch it
    You revel in images of pain and hurt; that much is obvious from your words on here, and some of your books.

Many decades ago, the Sunday Times had a picture of a Palestinian suicide bomber in its magazine. It was a head, lying on the pavement, undamaged with eyes closed. But no body. I wish to God I had never seen it as I can still visualise it, and try to avoid such images where I can.

In Putin's current adventure, I was in the kill-all-Russian-invaders mode. Until I saw a picture of a lad, who could not have been over twenty, sitting in the cab of a loggies lorry. It brought home to me that they are people too, being sent by an evil regime to do evil acts. I want them to get out of Ukraine; but if that can be done without any ore deaths, so be it. Unfortunately Ukraine surrendering to Russia will lead to millions more deaths.
    Oh do shut up. How do you have an opinion on, say, Gaza, if you firmly refuse to watch any news about it?

How can you have an opinion on October 7 if you’ve not actually seen any images of it?
    What's your opinion of Oborne? He's obviously been on a bit of a journey but still seems to me to be a pretty rigorous journalist. The beheaded, burnt alive babies (apols for alliteration) much touted at the time seems to be largely bullshit.

https://x.com/OborneTweets/status/1771122006114574612?s=20
    He's a funny one Oborne. I have sympathy with some of his perspectives but he was debating with a pro-Israeli commentator on Spectator TV recently and he was dreadful. Screaming incoherently at the other guy, who was, by contrast, very reasonable sounding. Everyone who commented on the video said it put them off what he was saying.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

WillG said:

FF43 said:

rcs1000 said:

FF43 said:

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

OK. Let me adjust.

We're held back by the EU. Between 2019 the last year before Brexit on 31 January 2020 and 2022 the last year for which the World Bank has data the EU only managed a miserable 9% GDP growth. The UK on the other hand grew an amazing ... Sorry it fell by an amazing 6%>
    You are being deliberately obtuse. We were in all EU structures as before until December 31st. They just called it the "Implementation Period".
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Elon Musk has claimed lots of things over the years. A lot of it has turned out to be BS.
    And yet neuralink is already doing amazing things. And we have videos to prove it

Have you seen this one with the quadriplegic guy?

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1770565942168420750?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

What an amazing time to be alive. Crazy breakthroughs every single day
  • Options
    edited March 22

The Royal Family are newsworthy because, like it or not, they inhabit positions of prominence in our culture and society.

I don’t deny that coverage can be a bit much, but surely you must realise there’s a reason why this is treated the way it is?
    On the Irish TV news this evening there was a clip of the White House spokesperson giving their best wishes to the "Duchess of Cam-bridge". Even on a day with lots of other international news - the attack in Moscow, the attack on the dam in Ukraine, the security council veto - and also lots of domestic Irish news - a ministerial resignation, armed police stopping a gang of kidnappers and another episode of the Burke saga - and it still made a prominent place in the running order.

It's a big international news story.
  • Options
    edited March 22
    TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

It was.

And rightly so.

I am not sure how successful the rebrand can be said to have been if what's left is a typeface and a ribbon flourish thing that one couldn't pick out in a branding identity parade. Good branding is about owning a space in consumers' minds. British Airways owned 'British', and were successful in selling the merits of that position (ballad of the flowers, 'The World's Favourite Airline' etc.). Squandering that was exceedingly foolish. Their more recent efforts 'To fly, to serve' are in many ways a return to the feel of their pre-crappy tailfin identity.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,843

WillG said:

GIN1138 said:

Ffs, even after Brexit the Tories can still find ways to blame Europe.
    Its certainly true that Europe is undergoing a downturn, thank goodness we'd Brexited so the damage to us was limited.

There are still Labour supporters who blame Gordon Brown's failures on America.
    What difference has Brexit made in this regard?
    We're no longer spending about £10bn+ per annum on a sclerotic and failing institution to remain tied to a moribund and declining portion of the global economy.

Now if its failing, it can fail without us paying for its failures.
    We're still paying £10bn a year to Northern Ireland.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    TimS said:

Carnyx said:

It was.

And rightly so.

Er, yes, I know.

I'm talking about the England kit and Nike today.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457

TimS said:

TimS said:

Carnyx said:

It was.

They ditched the entire non-British rebrand, used the Union flag design for the entire fleet (originally for Concorde only IIRC) and that was a success?
    It was a complete failure. They blew £60m on it. It was disliked here and was particularly disliked by Americans, who made up the core North America to Great Britain route market and quite liked the British branding. So they lost market share to Virgin. Chris Holt, the head of design management at BA, had to resign, and the CEO was replaced as well.

It lasted less than 4 years. It was definitely a piece of proto-Wokery just read this:

"Chief Executive Robert Ayling declared that BA needed "a corporate identity that will enable [it] to become not just a UK carrier, but a global airline that is based in Britain" and the airline should better reflect the international image of the UK as "friendly, diverse and open to other cultures".

I mean, that tells you just everything you need to know about the guy, doesn't it?

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654
    edited March 23
    DavidL said:

Donkeys said:

Who?

I'm a little baffled by the fuss over the England kit.

It's a football kit FFS, it will be changed again in a few months, and football supporters will all be bilked for a couple of hundred more, on top of the thousands they are already bilked for on their season tickets.

It's almost as if various Captain Mainwarings, and various mouth breathing * football supporters, are desperate to have a round of tantrums as a method of self-distraction.

I'll stand by the mouth-breathing description; I had a small insight this week into the culture of violence which persists just below the surface in some places.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

Donkeys said:

Who?

I'm a little baffled by the fuss over the England kit.

It's a football kit FFS, it will be changed again in a few months, and football supporters will all be bilked for a couple of hundred more, on top of the thousands they are already bilked for on their season tickets.

It's almost as if various Captain Mainwarings, and various mouth breathing * football supporters, are desperate to have a round of tantrums as a method of self-distraction.

I'll stand by the mouth-breathing description; I had a small insight this week into the culture of violence which persists just below the surface in some places.

I'm not fussed by it; my point is that the flag has been stylised so much it cannot be recognised; it no longer *is* the England flag. The kit does not have the flag on it. Does it bother me? Only if people (e.g. Nike) try to say that it is the flag... ;)
  • Options
    New thread
This discussion has been closed.