Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Today PB celebrates its 20th birthday – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

Wales 1: Finland 0 after less than three minutes

I'm watching it in Welsh (which I don't speak). At least you can get English subtitles!
    Welsh would be impossible, but I'd manage in Finnish if Yle allowed, but they don't - "tämä ohjelma on katsottavissa vain Suomessa" (= this programme can only be watched in Finland), so I'm relying on you for updates

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited March 21
    viewcode said:

Reflecting back over the years, RIP to those former posters who were a significant part of the site, but, sadly, are not with us to mark the 20 year milestone.

I remember when you were Yanis Varoufakis. Anyhoo...

Left whilst still alive

@RodCrosby (Holocaust remarks)
    @isam (argued with hosts, since returned)
    @antifrank aka @AlistairMeeks (argued with others, now blog author)
    @Charles (argued with others),
    @TissuePrice (works in a big shed somewhere)
    @SeanT (left, never to return)
    @IshmaelZ (argued with others)
    @MrEd (argued with hosts, thought to have returned)
    @CorrectHorseBattery (argued with others, thought to have returned)

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @PLATO (died 2017estimated)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

There have been others which I can't recall, and I know that at least one other has died, so if anybody can add more names I would be grateful.
    Mention of @SeanT reminds me of @eadric (flounced?), @Byronic (banned) and @LadyG (also banned) for some reason - I can't think why.

(Incidentally, why is @eadric showing 0 posts? That's not right, shirley?)
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

I'm watching it in Welsh (which I don't speak). At least you can get English subtitles!
    Where is it being shown (which channel?)
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

viewcode said:

Reflecting back over the years, RIP to those former posters who were a significant part of the site, but, sadly, are not with us to mark the 20 year milestone.

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

There have been others which I can't recall, and I know that at least one other has died, so if anybody can add more names I would be grateful.
    Great shame that @MrEd was banned. I enjoyed conversing with him and he was supportive to me during my earlier struggles with mental health. Wishing him well wherever he is.
    I wonder if anyone has kept a list of the Saturday morning Puto-bots. We ought to mention them in the thanks for providing light relief each weekend.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Well this is both sad and touching. Thank-you, Our Most Genial of Hosts, I hope your health somehow allows you to return, occasionally

It’s been a privilege to comment on this site these past 15, sorry 9, sorry 4, sorry 2 and a half, sorry 2 years. It really is like a pub except the locals wear terrifying masks and Hitler occasionally plays the piano

Its also kept me sane and prevented me dying of loneliness on long foreign trips - such as this one right now

Cheers to all of us, mods and commenters, anarchists and atheists, kippers and Communists, lurkers, lefties, LadyGs and lunatics, from the hot and cloudy jungles of Colombia

They couldn’t come up with anything better than a wine so popular it’s in every Tesco in Britain? Is there any Colombian wine?
    No

At least I haven’t found any

I am extremely grateful for the existence of Chilean and Argentine wine - in Colombia. Otherwise it would be Californian or European and twice as pricey
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

How do we know?
    I often wonder about this. It seems frankly improbable after 20 years that more of us haven't died. And in most cases, people will just occasionally think, huh, poster x hasn't posted in a while - I wonder if he's still with us? And that will be that.

Is Jack W still with us? Or Alastair Matlock?
    Maybe I should add instructions for a valedictory message to my will?

Although perhaps I could write a Python script to do it for me, if it finds I haven't read any of my emails for at least 30 days...
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,217
    IanB2 said:

Breaking: Our Brexit passports are produced by a Franco-Dutch company in Poland using Italian software to print Spanish ink on to Finnish paper.

So we haven’t retreated into isolation and still trade with Europe? Excellent. Wouldn’t want to end up like the French, who make their passports wholly in France due to protectionism, cloaked with spurious National Security reasons.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    edited March 21
    geoffw said:

CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

Welsh would be impossible, but I'd manage in Finnish if Yle allowed, but they don't - "tämä ohjelma on katsottavissa vain Suomessa" (= this programme can only be watched in Finland), so I'm relying on you for updates

Chwaraewr yn aflan yno, gan yr amddiffynnwr hwnnw o'r Ffindir. Cerdyn melyn wedi'i roi.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Great shame that @MrEd was banned. I enjoyed conversing with him and he was supportive to me during my earlier struggles with mental health. Wishing him well wherever he is.
    I wonder if anyone has kept a list of the Saturday morning Puto-bots. We ought to mention them in the thanks for providing light relief each weekend.
    The mods must have them on a database somewhere.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Mention of @SeanT reminds me of @eadric (flounced?), @Byronic (banned) and @LadyG (also banned) for some reason - I can't think why.

I think eadric convinced the mods they were about to have a book adapted into a film and therefore become famous enough to be embarrassed by some of their idle musings, and so had all of their comments deleted.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Well this is both sad and touching. Thank-you, Our Most Genial of Hosts, I hope your health somehow allows you to return, occasionally

It’s been a privilege to comment on this site these past 15, sorry 9, sorry 4, sorry 2 and a half, sorry 2 years. It really is like a pub except the locals wear terrifying masks and Hitler occasionally plays the piano

Its also kept me sane and prevented me dying of loneliness on long foreign trips - such as this one right now

Cheers to all of us, mods and commenters, anarchists and atheists, kippers and Communists, lurkers, lefties, LadyGs and lunatics, from the hot and cloudy jungles of Colombia

They couldn’t come up with anything better than a wine so popular it’s in every Tesco in Britain? Is there any Colombian wine?
    No

I am extremely grateful for the existence of Chilean and Argentine wine - in Colombia. Otherwise it would be Californian or European and twice as pricey
    Is there an ecosystem of small Chilean and Argentinian wines which we don’t get here, or is it dominated by the brands? In an independent wine merchant here, we don’t see the variety of Chilean wines we see of French wines, for example.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772
    edited March 21

CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

S4C. If you're not in Wales it's on Satellite and Cable, and the S4C website, and BBC iPlayer.

(It's also on Viaplay in English, but that's 15 quid a month so sod that!)
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

One of his incarnations got all his prior posts wiped, for reasons that I can’t now remember.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

S4C. If you're not in Wales it's on Satellite and Cable, and the S4C website.

(It's also on ViaPlay in English, but that's 15 quid a month so sod that!)
    Cheers. Surprised it’s not on a main channel.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

It exists! According to Google anyway:

https://www.madalyneloree.com/post/explore-colombian-wine-country
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Presumably @eadric - who he? - chose to delete all of his content.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

How do we know?
    I often wonder about this. It seems frankly improbable after 20 years that more of us haven't died. And in most cases, people will just occasionally think, huh, poster x hasn't posted in a while - I wonder if he's still with us? And that will be that.

Is Jack W still with us? Or Alastair Matlock?
    Jack_W was roaming the battlements just a couple of days ago to the sound of distant bagpipes.
  • Options
    Leon said:

@JackW posted just the other day

So he’s still knocking about, albeit sporadically

He must be about 178 by now

It's not The JackW. It will be one of his regenerations. I think he's on to his third now.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

I may have spoken too soon:

“INSIDER TIP: we found the wine in La Union to be quite sweet or dulce. They explained during the tour that while they do make drier wines (seco) the majority of their customer base in Colombia (mostly Colombians) instead like the sweet wines. In fact, we read that the majority of wine from Colombia is on the sweeter side (due to the elevation and climate). If you are like us and prefer drier wines, still definitely try the sweet wine - it is quite refreshing and delicious. “
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Is there an ecosystem of small Chilean and Argentinian wines which we don’t get here, or is it dominated by the brands? In an independent wine merchant here, we don’t see the variety of Chilean wines we see of French wines, for example.
    No, it’s a few mainstream mass production wines. Tho this is quite a nice one, to my mind

3.9 on Vivino

If you go to Argentina or Chile - as I have done - then yes you will find loads of local wines, some of them magnificent - which they don’t export

I think Argentine Malbec is the best value red wine in the world at the moment. In any Argentine town you will find a superb Malbec for under £10. The stuff they make at altitude is mmmm
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Didn't even know that was possible. @tim obviously did the same, which is a pity. Some of his barbed comments were timeless. "How many samosas did Eric Pickles order?" Anyone else remember that one?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

I think eadric convinced the mods they were about to have a book adapted into a film and therefore become famous enough to be embarrassed by some of their idle musings, and so had all of their comments deleted.
    I assumed they were such twaddle the fabric of the universe lost them through a series of quantum blips.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948
    Thank you Mike for all you've done. I'm a relatively recent convert from lurker to poster - but I've enjoyed the site for well over a decade. I do truly wish you (and yours!) well. Good luck with your health - I hope many years and election swingometers are still to come for you.
  • Options
    I've read the headers most days for about half the site's history I suppose. Then came the fell day I decided to look at the comments. Always informative, generally entertaining and sometimes infuriating.

All in all quite the tribute to its founder. Well done Mike - many thanks to you and your little helpers!
  • Options

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

IanB2 said:

S4C. If you're not in Wales it's on Satellite and Cable, and the S4C website.

(It's also on ViaPlay in English, but that's 15 quid a month so sod that!)
    Cheers. Surprised it’s not on a main channel.
    Think Viaplay have the rights to most Euro Qualifiers. I believe the only reason S4C are showing it is because the commentary is in Welsh (they sometimes have English commentary on the Red Button, but not today it seems).
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

I assumed they were such twaddle the fabric of the universe lost them through a series of quantum blips.
    How would I manage nearly 15,000 posts if that were 'appening???
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Have you found it yet
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Didn't even know that was possible. @tim obviously did the same, which is a pity. Some of his barbed comments were timeless. "How many samosas did Eric Pickles order?" Anyone else remember that one?
    I think, re. tim, back then we were on Disqus, rather than Vanilla comments?
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

“INSIDER TIP: we found the wine in La Union to be quite sweet or dulce. They explained during the tour that while they do make drier wines (seco) the majority of their customer base in Colombia (mostly Colombians) instead like the sweet wines. In fact, we read that the majority of wine from Colombia is on the sweeter side (due to the elevation and climate). If you are like us and prefer drier wines, still definitely try the sweet wine - it is quite refreshing and delicious. “
    Almost every country I visit these days produces some kind of wine

I’ve had Thai wine (not great). I’ve had Ethiopian wine (not bad at all). I’ve had Indian wine (meh but improving). I’ve had Egyptian wine (tolerable)

It’s actually rare to find a country that doesn’t make wine

Eg Denmark makes wine. Yes, Denmark

https://www.visitdenmark.com/denmark/things-do/danish-food/vineyards

Greenland. Iceland. Parts of west and central Africa - no wine
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Perhaps you could encourage his ‘friends’ to do the same, by way of site spring cleaning?
  • Options
    Wales 2
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    Leon said:

@JackW posted just the other day

So he’s still knocking about, albeit sporadically

He must be about 178 by now

But would he be as old as all SeanT's incarnations added together?
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

I’ve had Thai wine (not great). I’ve had Ethiopian wine (not bad at all). I’ve had Indian wine (meh but improving). I’ve had Egyptian wine (tolerable)

Tesco had a Chinese red wine recently. A little odd, and a little overpriced. But not bad.
  • Options
    Mike, have a great retirement! Your site has been a great pleasure to peruse - more so than broadcast media or the deadtree press
  • Options
    Also Saudi Arabia. I’m gonna have a mad guess without checking and say Saudi Arabia does not produce grape wine
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Cicero said:

rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

I wonder, in the 20 years, who the most banned and returned poster is.

Leon
    Horse
    Ishmael

Any other contenders ?

I assumed people's handles indicated the number of times they've been banned, and therefore tlg86 is surely up there.
    Tlg86 and rcs1000 are both plausible crsids:

https://help.uis.cam.ac.uk/service/accounts-passwords/your-crsid
    That is correct: back in 1992, I got my first access to the Internet as rcs1000@phx.cam.ac.uk

From then on, rcs1000 has been my Internet id.
    I can't remember my janet login from Edinburgh University library, but that would be 1990.
    Mine was hcc1.

So I must have been top dog.

(Not really. Aber had a system - last number of the year for undergrads, last two numbers for postgrads, initials only for staff. As I was all of them in turn, I therefore added and subtracted numbers like a mathematician on crack.)
    I still - I am somewhat ashamed to say - remember people by their username rather than actual name. 'Oh look - it's rdy2k!'.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

What about Dutch wine?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    carnforth said:

IanB2 said:

Breaking: Our Brexit passports are produced by a Franco-Dutch company in Poland using Italian software to print Spanish ink on to Finnish paper.

So we haven’t retreated into isolation and still trade with Europe? Excellent. Wouldn’t want to end up like the French, who make their passports wholly in France due to protectionism, cloaked with spurious National Security reasons.
    I would.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Depends which Thai wine you try. Some of that from the Hua Hin vineyard isn’t bad at all. Of course, YMMV.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Tesco had a Chinese red wine recently. A little odd, and a little overpriced. But not bad.
    I remember buying Chinese wine in China in about 2009. In xiengeli-la (literally: shangri-la) in Yunnan province, where everyone is Tibetan

It was the only wine available and pretty expensive but the bottle I bought for $20 was actually ok

I remember my driver could not understand the point of buying a bottle of weak alcohol for $20 when I could buy a litre of the local firewater for about $2

Those were the early days of Chinese wine culture…
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Have you found it yet
    This is the earliest article I've been able to find so far.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2004/oct/10/labour.politicalcolumnists
  • Options
    edited March 21
    Wales 2 Finland 1

HT
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Can I also add Robert that keeping this place going for your dad is a wonderful gesture which makes me wonder how entirely serious you were being about your kids earlier!
    I appreciate it, thank you.

And no, I wasn't being entirely serious.
  • Options

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Depends which Thai wine you try. Some of that from the Hua Hin vineyard isn’t bad at all. Of course, YMMV.
    That’s the one I had. But I tasted it ten years ago. Has almost certainly improved since?

Problem for wine in Thailand is the insane tax on it
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Have you found it yet

No not that
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

I remember buying Chinese wine in China in about 2009. In xiengeli-la (literally: shangri-la) in Yunnan province, where everyone is Tibetan

It was the only wine available and pretty expensive but the bottle I bought for $20 was actually ok

I remember my driver could not understand the point of buying a bottle of weak alcohol for $20 when I could buy a litre of the local firewater for about $2

There was a Chinese restaurant here who used to offer Chinese wine back in the early 2000s. Then the owner 'lost' his chef in a poker match and had to sell up. (More recently, it emerged the guy he lost the chef too's restaurant was being used as one of the 'Chinese Police Stations')

Sad times all round.

Although the wine was in fact boakin. But the food was good.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Have you found it yet

No not that
    You must forgive me. I've been reading, and commenting on, this blog site for nearly twenty years, and consequently my mental faculties are not what they once were.

What is the "it" that you were referring to that I was apparently searching for?
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

In Taiwan, there was a government monopoly on wine production - recently overturned. But most of the local production is still under their auspices. It tends to be weak and mediocre. Still cheaper than french and australian imports, though, presumably due to tarriffs.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Have you found it yet

No not that
    You must forgive me. I've been reading, and commenting on, this blog site for nearly twenty years, and consequently my mental faculties are not what they once were.

What is the "it" that you were referring to that I was apparently searching for?
    I’d hoped you would have found your password by now
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Talking of missed posters, has anyone heard from HurstLlama? His twitter hasn't been updated since January last year, and he was having some health problems. I hope he's okay.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

That’s the one I had. But I tasted it ten years ago. Has almost certainly improved since?

Problem for wine in Thailand is the insane tax on it
    Absolutely. Problem is that the locals who drink wine have enough money not to care.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

As wine has become a mass market beverage it’s inevitable that it’s become much more widely produced, although it’s not yet as globalisable as beer.

The distinction I’d make is between new wine regions that are able to reproduce, with effort, a palatable wine that tastes not dissimilar to other international wines, and new regions that manage to make wines that are distinct, and truly new, and reflect their terroir.

Many (hot) countries have been able to do the former with some judicious coaxing by international winemakers. China to great success. But the really novel innovations have come from cooler places - either because they’re high latitude, or high altitude.

Marlborough and North Otago, the higher bits of Mendoza, Southern Chile, British Columbia and Oregon, Ontario, Southern England and Wales, Tasmania, all regions that have brought something new and exciting to wine in the last few decades. I could well imagine Ethiopia having some interesting terroir given its climate. Bolivia should do too. But both Chile and Argentina are only just scratching the surface of their cooler climates further into Patagonia.

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,265
    edited March 21
    viewcode said:

:*
  • Options
    AugustusCarp2AugustusCarp2 Posts: 186
    Oh, Mike, you will be missed! I think I have been around (on and off) for about 19 of those 20 years, and your idea (and hard work) has been an endless source of enjoyment and education throughout. I have met, IRL, some wonderful people as a result of this site, including you and your family at one of the very first get-togethers. I also bought two (!) copies of your excellent book. FWIW, I think you are leaving the site in very good hands, and I trust you will feel fit enough to post the occasional words of wisdom here in the future.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

He was a very scary Trumpster.
  • Options
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

China is now the world’s largest winemaker by some measures.

Some of their top crus are pretty good - could pass for a Bordeaux classed growth. But they remain derivative - there’s not really a style yet. Most of China is too hot. They should try to make Hunter Valley style sémillon, or Madeira style wines (as should Taiwan).
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

As wine has become a mass market beverage it’s inevitable that it’s become much more widely produced, although it’s not yet as globalisable as beer.

The distinction I’d make is between new wine regions that are able to reproduce, with effort, a palatable wine that tastes not dissimilar to other international wines, and new regions that manage to make wines that are distinct, and truly new, and reflect their terroir.

Many (hot) countries have been able to do the former with some judicious coaxing by international winemakers. China to great success. But the really novel innovations have come from cooler places - either because they’re high latitude, or high altitude.

Marlborough and North Otago, the higher bits of Mendoza, Southern Chile, British Columbia and Oregon, Ontario, Southern England and Wales, Tasmania, all regions that have brought something new and exciting to wine in the last few decades. I could well imagine Ethiopia having some interesting terroir given its climate. Bolivia should do too. But both Chile and Argentina are only just scratching the surface of their cooler climates further into Patagonia.

I’ve had Bolivian wine - in Bolivia. And yes it was surprisingly good - like Ethiopia

Japan stretches from virtual tundra to subtropics, with all kind of altitudes. Why aren’t they making great wine? They must have some suitable spots
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

I’ve had Bolivian wine - in Bolivia. And yes it was surprisingly good - like Ethiopia

Japan stretches from virtual tundra to subtropics, with all kind of altitudes. Why aren’t they making great wine? They must have some suitable spots
    There are some. I follow one on Insta. Near Sapporo I think. Very stylish looking, rather like their whiskies.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

There are some. I follow one on Insta. Near Sapporo I think. Very stylish looking, rather like their whiskies.
    Ah. Then that proves the rule. Almost every country now makes wine
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    .. <3 ..
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,229
    Many happy returns Mike and family!

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    edited March 21
    Happy birthday, PB, and a special thank you to OGH for all you have done for the site over the past two decades. Bravo!
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

So, quiz time: what country would be the most theoretically promising but is not currently a producer? Actually 2 countries.
  • Options
    Wales 3 Finland 1
  • Options
    pm215pm215 Posts: 936
    rcs1000 said:

carnforth said:

kle4 said:

Taz said:

I wonder, in the 20 years, who the most banned and returned poster is.

Leon
    Horse
    Ishmael

Any other contenders ?

I assumed people's handles indicated the number of times they've been banned, and therefore tlg86 is surely up there.
    Tlg86 and rcs1000 are both plausible crsids:

https://help.uis.cam.ac.uk/service/accounts-passwords/your-crsid
    That is correct: back in 1992, I got my first access to the Internet as rcs1000@phx.cam.ac.uk

From then on, rcs1000 has been my Internet id.
    The 1000 puts you in a pretty narrow date range even if you hadn't given the year: earlier crsids were shorter, and later ones were usually 5 characters and avoided initial 1 to minimise l/1 confusion. (I got mine in 1995, so missed Phoenix entirely.)
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

So, quiz time: what country would be the most theoretically promising but is not currently a producer? Actually 2 countries.
    Saudi Arabia and North Korea.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran?
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,997
    Thank you OGH for all your efforts over the years and some great tips! What price did you get Obama again?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

Have you found it yet

No not that

I’d hoped you would have found your password by now
    Oh that. No chance. I forgot it, you see.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    geoffw said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran?
    Are we counting countries that don't produce wine officially, or only those that don't actually produce wine?
  • Options
    geoffw said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran?
    The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam notwithstanding

• Options
    geoffw said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran?
    Didn’t Iran used to produce wine before the arrival if Islam.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

HappyDad was one of PB's teaching fraternity who was often sinbinned. I trust he is still around somewhere.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,823

Thank you OGH for all your efforts over the years and some great tips! What price did you get Obama again?

50/1
  • Options
    Vietnamese wine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnamese_wine

Swedish wine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_wine

Mexican wine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_wine

Cuban wine

https://www.beyondtheordinary.co.uk/features/cuban-wine/

Best of all tho is surely Armenian wine. I have been to the oldest winery in the world, its in Armenia, here it is

it’s actually a cave with evidence of wine making dating from 4100BC. They also found the world’s oldest shoe here. A moccasin

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/article/110111-oldest-wine-press-making-winery-armenia-science-ucla

Best of all, the grape used in 4000BC - the areni grape - is the same grape used in the same area today. You can buy modern wine made from it right next to the cave. Which is kinda brilliant

• Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 542
    edited March 21
    viewcode said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

That last chat was a bit depressing so here is something genuinely and wonderfully uplifting

Elon Musk’s Neuralink gives a quadriplegic guy the chance to interact with a computer, and thus the world: a form of telekinesis. The joy on the guy’s face is 🥂👍🍷👏👏👏👏👏

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1770565942168420750?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Who knows. Maybe the future will be wondrous

He's not developing this technology to help people. That's PR.

Also some heavy-duty game is being played with the use of the name "Telepathy".

Musk sees it as a step onwards from this preliminary stage we're in now in which most people's almost-permanent interface between their fleshspace self and planet digital is their smartphone. He has said as much.

Personally I think Muskologists pay too little attention to Paypal.

I imagine he is dashing to keep up with China, with "X" as the "superapp" hanger on to the tail of WeChat. Chinese people in China are only allowed WeChat accounts if they link them to their bank accounts. Most people in China haven't bought anything either with cash or a bank card for years.

It's good to see you looking at implant tech. This is far more important than AI.
    • Cybertruck: Armoured Personnel Vehicle
    • Raptor-9: ICBM
    • Starship: Orbital Bombardment Vehicle (Earth)
    • Starship HLS: Troop transport and spaceborne assault vehicle
    • Boring flamethrowers: personal defence weapon
    • Starlink: information control satellites
    • Neuralink: enslavement and pacification device
    • Optimus: drone troops and terminators

The guy is building Hydra in plain sight... :)
    rcs1000 said:

Donkeys said:

It's good to see you looking at implant tech. This is far more important than AI.

Yep: China is genuinely cashless. The only people that ever use ATMs are tourists.

But on the other hand, no, implant technology is not more important than AI.
    When parts of the British intelligentsia wake up and realise that mass head chipping isn't a good thing, and that the Luddites were right all along, it will be far too late. They'll have bought into it because of convenient consumption or public health or something.

The good news is that what's true in Islington may not be true in Urumqi or Kashgar.
    Perhaps it won't be true in Hong Kong either.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran?
    Are we counting countries that don't produce wine officially, or only those that don't actually produce wine?
    Well, indeed. But yes Iran, historically a big wine producer and probable originator of the Shiraz grape - Elburz mountains and the Far NW Kurdish regions are pretty similar to Kakheti in Georgia.

And I also think highland Afghanistan, eg the Panshir Valley, could be promising too.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran and Algeria?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    viewcode said:

Left whilst still alive

Left on death

@SBS (died 2009)
    @MARKSENIOR (died 2017)
    @CALUM (died 2019)
    @NICHOMAR (died 2021)

I think you have missed Mrs Balls.

By the rule of permutation, BatteryCorrectHorse can only be banned 6 times without regenerating.
  • Options
    Nikki Haley, who's no longer running, reported more cash on hand at the end of February than the RNC.

President Biden has a major fundraising advantage over Trump, according to the latest FEC filings. In February:

• Biden's campaign raised $21.3 million. It has $71 million in cash on hand.
    • Trump's campaign raised $10.9 million. It has $33.5 million in cash on hand.
    • The DNC raised $16.6 million. Cash on hand: $26.5 million.
    • The RNC raised $10.7 million. Cash on hand: $11.3 million

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1770918531846000985
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran and Algeria?
    Algeria does produce wine, I had some in Algiers. It was ok - French style rose/gris.
  • Options
    TimS said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran?
    Well, indeed. But yes Iran, historically a big wine producer and probable originator of the Shiraz grape - Elburz mountains and the Far NW Kurdish regions are pretty similar to Kakheti in Georgia.

And I also think highland Afghanistan, eg the Panshir Valley, could be promising too.
    Omar Khayyam (sp) ….. A loaf of bread, a jug of wine, and thou……
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran and Algeria?
    Algeria does produce wine, I had some in Algiers. It was ok - French style rose/gris.
    Ah!

Libya might also make good wine if it was allowed

It was known for wine in the Roman era

https://www.bilnas.org/publications_dir/rural-settlement-and-economic-activity-olive-oil-wine-and-amphorae-production-on-the-tarhuna-plateau-during-the-roman-period/
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited March 21
    viewcode said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

That last chat was a bit depressing so here is something genuinely and wonderfully uplifting

Elon Musk’s Neuralink gives a quadriplegic guy the chance to interact with a computer, and thus the world: a form of telekinesis. The joy on the guy’s face is 🥂👍🍷👏👏👏👏👏

Musk sees it as a step onwards from this preliminary stage we're in now in which most people's almost-permanent interface between their fleshspace self and planet digital is their smartphone. He has said as much.

I imagine he is dashing to keep up with China, with "X" as the "superapp" hanger on to the tail of WeChat. Chinese people in China are only allowed WeChat accounts if they link them to their bank accounts. Most people in China haven't bought anything either with cash or a bank card for years.

One peculiar thing about Elon Musk is that he is a strange combination of naive and gormless, who makes stupid mistakes whilst unable to perceive the consequences.

One was to create the Cybertruck to be so bloody designed-in-dangerous that it will never reach Europe.

Another was his crass intervention in the Ukraine War, to actually try and do what some stupid politicians had been proposing.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

viewcode said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Donkeys said:

Yep: China is genuinely cashless. The only people that ever use ATMs are tourists.

But on the other hand, no, implant technology is not more important than AI.
    When parts of the British intelligentsia wake up and realise that mass head chipping isn't a good thing, and that the Luddites were right all along, it will be far too late. They'll have bought into it because of convenient consumption or public health or something.

The good news is that what's true in Islington may not be true in Urumqi or Kashgar.
    Perhaps it won't be true in Hong Kong either.
    Oh, that's not the issue with implants.

I'd be happy to be chipped tomorrow, were it not for the enormous evidence of the body violently rejecting foreign objects. (Watch the documentary about the Italian surgeon and the trachea implants of you want to be truly horrified.)
  • Options
    🚨Our new voting intention just shared with @JPonpolitics @TimesRadio sees the Conservatives hit a new low.

🌳 Conservative 25% (-2)
    🌹Labour 43% (+1)
    🔶Lib Dems 11% (+1)
    🟣Reform 11% (+1)
    💚Green 5% (-1)

Lab lead 18, highest under our current methodology
    N=2027, 19-20/3

https://twitter.com/LukeTryl/status/1770888732708610098
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545
    geoffw said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

No

Iran?
    An Iranian writes:

Iram indeed is gone with all its Rose,
    And Jamshyd's Sev'n-ring'd Cup where no one knows;
    But still the Vine her ancient Ruby yields,
    And still a Garden by the Water blows.

And David's Lips are lock't; but in divine
    High piping Pelevi, with "Wine! Wine! Wine!
    Red Wine!"—the Nightingale cries to the Rose
    That yellow Cheek of hers to'incarnadine.

and of course:

I wonder what the vintners buy
    One half so precious as the stuff they sell.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    Thanks to OGH.

Been here since just before GE2005.

Most impressive prediction? RCS suggesting an 80 seat Conservative majority for GE2019. I only wish he had been wrong by 85 seats No, no, not a Tory majority of 165.
This discussion has been closed.