Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ayrshire hotelier wins the GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    edited March 13
    Leon said:

Right, photo caption time

"Fitted by Boeing, you say?"
    algarkirk said:

Truman said:

This is for Leon.

AI will probably be smarter than any single human next year. By 2029, AI is probably smarter than all humans combined.

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1767738797276451090?s=20

When will AI be clever enough reliably and regularly to make large
    and risk free profits betting on horses? Who will be the first major bookmaker to go bust because of it?
    This is actually a sound point. I’ve thought about it before

AI will make a better bettor than any human. It will learn all possible knowledge about horses, conditions, riders, odds. It will be able to make bets orders of magnitude cleverer than any human

That ends bookmaking as a business
    Not really. The bookmakers will use AI to set odds, and they will still have more information than the punting AIs, because they will know what bets are being placed, and the point of bookmaking is to make a profitable book - i.e. to make a profit regardless of the outcome. And *also* people will still want to place their own bets, without using an AI, because part of the appeal is to feel that you are clever enough to pick the winner.

Probably bookmaking will become more profitable with learning algorithms, rather than less.

Edit: This is going to go down as your worst take on "AI" ever, by the way. You didn't realise bookmakers could also use AI? Honestly?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

TRUMP MUST WIN. TRUMP IS THE MAN

Don’t want @kinabalu to think I might be wavering

Ah I see. You're semi-ashamed at having a better side and are now semi-pretending you don't.

Oh dear. So complicated.
    Or, it was a joke. But now I’ve decided to turn it into a running joke. Because it amuses me

Which isn’t that complicated at all, albeit it might be difficult for a humourless accountant (ret’d)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Lest we forget: from previous PB thread -

https://x.com/iapolls2022/status/1767747527707615306
    "williamglenn" > Decision Desk HQ projects Donald Trump wins the Washington Republican Primary and has won enough delegates to secure the Republican Nomination for President

"Leon" > Let’s just pray he wins the presidency. Or the West is finished

I think Leon was rooting for Biden there.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Nigelb said:

"williamglenn" > Decision Desk HQ projects Donald Trump wins the Washington Republican Primary and has won enough delegates to secure the Republican Nomination for President

Was that before or after he took all the drugs in Colombia?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Jesus fucks Elon means it

AGI by next year. ASI by 2029

Does anyone on this forum understand how this will change the world? Probably not. I don’t. We just know that it will

This is it. I’m going to do it. We need it

BRACE

If it's anything like his Tesla release schedules, we've got another couple of decades yet.
  • Options
    DonkeysDonkeys Posts: 549
    AlsoLei said:

Labour should reinstate the ‘Would you…’ posters:

“Would you take £15,000 from a racist just so that you can fly around in a helicopter? Multi-millionaire Rishi Sunak would”

The Tories really need to stop referring to the comments as being "alleged" or "unverified". The donor hasn't denied using the words, and has apologised for his rudeness.

So why does the PM insist on quibbling over this?

I realise it probably comes from his "well, actually" tetchiness, but in this case it just makes him look insincere.
    He always looks insincere.

The reason for the quibbling may relate to how the following twine together before the weekend:

* "I think [Diane Abbott] should be shot"
    * Parliamentary Liaison and Investigations Team police investigation
    * Sunak spox: remorse should be accepted
    * new definition of "extremism", expected from Michael Gove tomorrow

• Options
    Honestly. If Elon is right this is it. The end of the world as we know it

How can we talk about anything else? This dwarfs anything else. This changes everything. It’s terrifying and spectacular. It’s the arrival of alien intelligence - vastly superior to ours. The world will be unrecognisable within a decade - IF he is right

And Elon is quite a bright man, who knows rather a lot about this stuff

Brace brace brace brace brace

Fuck me
  • Options
    Seriously guys. Cash in your pensions now
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yes.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited March 13
    Leon said:

How can we talk about anything else? This dwarfs anything else. This changes everything. It’s terrifying and spectacular. It’s the arrival of alien intelligence - vastly superior to ours. The world will be unrecognisable within a decade - IF he is right

Fuck me

Because we remember Musk's prediction record on self driving Teslas!

ETA: Ah yes, as already noted by NigelB :smile:
  • Options
    TrumanTruman Posts: 279
    Leon said:

Fuck me

What a signal to short tech stocks. The Leon has spoken.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

Indeed. He’s not always right. But he was a founder of OpenAI

AND he’s not the only one saying this

There is one upside to the fast-approaching singularity. It’s going to be interesting. It’s probably going to be the single most interesting thing in the history of humankind - and we are lucky enough to be here and to witness it, and with some warning beforehand

If I was contemplating suicide (I’m not, I’m on a bus in Colombia looking forward to the next town) I’d stay the blade, knowing this news. Why top yourself today when the next few years are going to be incredibly compelling and might kill all humanity anyway?

Linger awhile and catch the show
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Yes.

..😊
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Bet Sunak is bloody seething about Hunt's wild promise to get rid of NI.

Labour can hammer this all the way until Jan 2025.

The irony of this is that it’s a good policy: NI & income tax should be merged.

The fact that neither party can advocate for this without people going nuts is the real problem.
    It isn't, NI should be for the state pension and contributory JSA we don't need even more welfare dependency
    Has something gone wrong with the Matrix? @HYUFD is opposing Tory party policy.
    No, you have it the wrong way round: the current Cabinet is opposing party policy as interpreted by HYUFD. Which is that the pensioners and the bequests to their children must be protected. Probably a rational analysis of the situation in Epping from his point of view. Though it comes close to being a fetish (in two meanings of the word, though not the third).
    Support for contributory welfare is a conservative principle, not just dependence on UC, as is support for inherited wealth not just letting the taxman take all your estate when you die
    (x-1 000 000)*0.4 = x seems to be your mathematics. Which equation, as any fule kno, is wrong.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    Leon said:

Fuck me

Here's the problem. "Elon Musk" on twitter isn't Elon. Its his AGI model. And he likes to do iterative testing with failure being part of innovation.

So whilst he does spectacular stuff with Tesla and SpaceX and the Boring Company are test-digging what could be a revolution in tunnelling at Giga Texas and yes the AI stuff, everything else he tweets is foaming-dog-fever alt-right lunacy, with increasing levels of bat-shittedness.

Remember how the Microsoft AI bot went on Twitter to learn and rapidly went Nazi. The "Elon Musk" AI has done the same, but instead of being switched off is being allowed to burrow further and further down the lunacy rabbit hole.

I wish he would make it stop. Because all of the good that he does is undone by "Elon Musk" on X.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Trump is ‘Unhinged’ But We Love Him, Say Kremlin Mouthpieces
    https://cepa.org/article/trump-is-unhinged-but-we-love-him-say-kremlin-mouthpieces/
    ...Kalashnikov stated: “I am a fan of Trump, based on the interests of my country.” He expressed gratitude for the four-year reprieve he said Trump’s presidency provided for Russia, allowing the country to prepare for its expanded invasion of Ukraine. This is not unusual — lawmakers and foreign policy experts frequently gush about their affinity for Trump as “the destroyer of America.” ..
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,423
    Nigelb said:

Selebian said:

Can Fact to File silence the doubters? That include myself.

Love Fay’s colour coded cheek pieces matching the coat.

Answer yes. Doubters silenced.

Bookies getting hammered.

I’ve yet to get off the mark for Day 2 - two letdowns so far, sorry.
    If I didn't know this was about The Festival, I would think you were a spy passing code words lol.
    Moon Rabbit is less coy about the Cheltenham gossip on what's really going on with Kate than Topping is.

Moon's set it out pretty clearly here.
    So it's her that's passing coded state secrets to Truman ?
    WTF? With my attention on the festival, I’m missing something here?

Is this like 39 steps I get sucked into something without a clue what is going on? Or like Mr Bean?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220
    Truman said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

What a signal to short tech stocks. The Leon has spoken.
    Leon has impressive fiscal form. He eulogised Kwarteng's budget, and then the bond markets crashed.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Warning: Leon is not regulated by the Financial Services Authority.
  • Options
    El Fab looks so relaxed. 😎
  • Options
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Truman said:

This is for Leon.

AI will probably be smarter than any single human next year. By 2029, AI is probably smarter than all humans combined.

and risk free profits betting on horses? Who will be the first major bookmaker to go bust because of it?

AI will make a better bettor than any human. It will learn all possible knowledge about horses, conditions, riders, odds. It will be able to make bets orders of magnitude cleverer than any human

I thought Algakirk was trolling. Bettors only take money from other bettors. The problem wouldn't be Patrick Veitch getting his hands on a program. It would be everyone and his auntie getting such access.

Meanwhile in the programmers' club debating society, tonight's question is what if everyone could buy a suitcase nuke at the corner shop.

As for predictive ability, why leave it at the racetrack? Why not political betting, prediction markets generally, or the financial markets?

"Smarter than any single human" is silly talk. Overall smartness can't be measured on a single scale. I don't listen to anything Kurzweil says. He's the guy who said smartphones are making their users more intelligent.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

There is one upside to the fast-approaching singularity. It’s going to be interesting. It’s probably going to be the single most interesting thing in the history of humankind - and we are lucky enough to be here and to witness it, and with some warning beforehand

If I was contemplating suicide (I’m not, I’m on a bus in Colombia looking forward to the next town) I’d stay the blade, knowing this news. Why top yourself today when the next few years are going to be incredibly compelling and might kill all humanity anyway?

Compelling! Have you considered volunteering for Samaritans? :wink:
  • Options
    Apologies for mad duplicate posts. Colombian bus journey…
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    Leon said:

Fuck me

We could talk about what.three.words
  • Options
    Leon said:

Apologies for mad duplicate posts. Colombian bus journey…

Is that a euphemism?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Truman said:

This is for Leon.

There are many milllions of people prepared to bet at suboptimal odds. And there are quite a few small companies who have been (ahem) "working for the bookmakers" over the last 20 years by developing very good machine learning models. Ask Tony Bloom. The idea that these companies are not already heavily involved in incorporating AI is naive. The good bookmakers will survive because of AI.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

Leon said:

Fuck me

Here's the problem. "Elon Musk" on twitter isn't Elon. Its his AGI model. And he likes to do iterative testing with failure being part of innovation.

So whilst he does spectacular stuff with Tesla and SpaceX and the Boring Company are test-digging what could be a revolution in tunnelling at Giga Texas and yes the AI stuff, everything else he tweets is foaming-dog-fever alt-right lunacy, with increasing levels of bat-shittedness.

Remember how the Microsoft AI bot went on Twitter to learn and rapidly went Nazi. The "Elon Musk" AI has done the same, but instead of being switched off is being allowed to burrow further and further down the lunacy rabbit hole.

I wish he would make it stop. Because all of the good that he does is undone by "Elon Musk" on X.
    "... test-digging what could be a revolution in tunnelling at Giga Texas"

Ha ha ha ha

Yet another fool who has bought into Muskmania.

We should add Hyperloop to the list. I remember some on here got very damp over that con.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    By the way, at PMQs George Galloway and Lee Anderson sitting next to each other looking like the best of chums.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Leon said:

Fuck me

You sound like Timothy Leary in the early days of the internet: "turn on, boot up, jack off in".
    Elon Musk is a known shroomhead.
    And anyway it's the chip implant stuff that's really worrying.
  • Options
    edited March 13

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Truman said:

This is for Leon.

Not really. The bookmakers will use AI to set odds, and they will still have more information than the punting AIs, because they will know what bets are being placed, and the point of bookmaking is to make a profitable book - i.e. to make a profit regardless of the outcome. And *also* people will still want to place their own bets, without using an AI, because part of the appeal is to feel that you are clever enough to pick the winner.

Probably bookmaking will become more profitable with learning algorithms, rather than less.

Edit: This is going to go down as your worst take on "AI" ever, by the way. You didn't realise bookmakers could also use AI? Honestly?
    No. Because both sides will have AI and neither side will know if the other has an AI good enough to guarantee winning. For bookmaking to work you need human fallibility on both sides - and mutual trust

It’s like the way smartphones destroyed pub quizzes - but times a billion, because there’s no way of eliminating the phones
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

Samaritan vs The Machine, Shirley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcgmVtm8Ko
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

Leon said:

Fuck me

what.three.word could well surprise on the upside.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Jesus fucks Elon means it

AGI by next year. ASI by 2029

Does anyone on this forum understand how this will change the world? Probably not. I don’t. We just know that it will

This is it. I’m going to do it. We need it

BRACE

If it's anything like his Tesla release schedules, we've got another couple of decades yet.
    Boom :smile:
  • Options

Leon said:

Fuck me

what.three.word could well surprise on the upside.
    https://w3w.co/brace.brace.brace
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Leon said:

Why ?

Does this constitute financial advice ?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

This kind of thing drives me to the edge of madness

“Giant steel monolith appears on Welsh hillside”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/giant-monolith-appears-top-welsh-28795875

A monolith, by definition, is made of stone. It cannot be made of steel

Only if you're being unnecessarily pedantic.

'Monolith' already has one other long established alternative meaning, so it's not unreasonable that a third has evolved to describe an object of that size and form.

You're a wordsmith, so you know that.

Also, the Greeks had no steel.
    No, but to be even more pedantic they'd call the thing on Hay Bluff a stele - στήλη

μονόλιθος in Ancient Greek means 'made of one stone' and Herodotus at least uses it in the sense of a single stone, without reference to its shape. His example is of a shrine made of one stone, with an internal chamber hollowed out.

https://scaife.perseus.org/reader/urn:cts:greekLit:tlg0016.tlg001.perseus-grc2:2.175.3?q=μονόλιθος&qk=lemma&right=perseus-eng2.

Monolith as a pillary thing is a new-fangled modern meaning. And I've seen it used in the context of eg Perspex.

https://londonist.com/london/secret/see-the-original-monolith-from-2001-a-space-odyssey
  • Options

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

God, that series was good.
  • Options
    Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

You sound like Timothy Leary in the early days of the internet: "turn on, boot up, jack off in".
    What if an all powerful AI decided that going Nazi was the right way to organise our societies that Hitler was correct. Or on the same theme that dictatorship was the best form of governance. What then.
  • Options
    a

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Selebian said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

God, that series was good.
    Can. You. Hear. Me?
  • Options
    Bollocks to vanilla
  • Options
    Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

What if an all powerful AI decided that going Nazi was the right way to organise our societies that Hitler was correct. Or on the same theme that dictatorship was the best form of governance. What then.
    If, if, if.

What if AI can't happen? What happens if Leon et al are getting excited over an Eliza with more data?
    What if people believe systems that are not intelligent as being intelligent, and then follow whatever stupidity they say?

How many people follow a SatNav down a one-way street (or the wrong sliproad?).
  • Options

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

What if AI can't happen? What happens if Leon et al are getting excited over an Eliza with more data?
    What if people believe systems that are not intelligent as being intelligent, and then follow whatever stupidity they say?

Current AI is a really, really nice "Travesty Generator". Which is not intelligence. No one has explained a path from that to actual AI.
  • Options
    Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

Turn the power off
  • Options

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I agree. Garbage in garbage out. Also i dont believe humans have the intelligence to utilize AI effectively. Of course tech companies with hype AI they get more money from investors if they do.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Incidentally, SpaceX might be trying for the third test flight of their SH/SS combo tomorrow.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 609

AlsoLei said:

Labour should reinstate the ‘Would you…’ posters:

“Would you take £15,000 from a racist just so that you can fly around in a helicopter? Multi-millionaire Rishi Sunak would”

The Tories really need to stop referring to the comments as being "alleged" or "unverified". The donor hasn't denied using the words, and has apologised for his rudeness.

So why does the PM insist on quibbling over this?

I realise it probably comes from his "well, actually" tetchiness, but in this case it just makes him look insincere.
    The most ridiculous comment from Sunak was trying to equate it to Rayner’s ‘Tory scum’ comment.

‘I think you are scum’ is not at all comparable to ‘You should be shot’.
    Yes, it's poor politics. They've already taken the hit, so the sensible thing to do is to concede and move on.

They can probably get away with not giving the money back, especially if they were to follow FF43's suggested strategy of announcing that any further donations would be blocked pending an investigation.

What they can't get away with is trying to score political points. Quibbling, non-apologies, whataboutery, debating whether it's actually racist or misogynist to "want to hate black women" - at this stage it's just keeping the story alive. There's nothing to be gained from it.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

Then Russia was ahead of the game.
  • Options
    Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

Already done - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvcgmVtm8Ko

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlpX3AGLR8w
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632

Bollocks to vanilla

A Lib Dem in an ice cream shop?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

TRUMP MUST WIN. TRUMP IS THE MAN

Don’t want @kinabalu to think I might be wavering

Ah I see. You're semi-ashamed at having a better side and are now semi-pretending you don't.

Oh dear. So complicated.
    Or, it was a joke. But now I’ve decided to turn it into a running joke. Because it amuses me

Which isn’t that complicated at all, albeit it might be difficult for a humourless accountant (ret’d)
    And I'm chuckling away here too. So everything worked out well in the end.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Drama.

Well you never know. There was everyone saying this lark is all straightforward.

History books remembers the winners, not what helped them.
  • Options

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Current AI is a really, really nice "Travesty Generator". Which is not intelligence. No one has explained a path from that to actual AI.
    Go on then. Define intelligence and sentience and consciousness. - do what no philosopher has been able to do for 3000 years - then define why it is only limited to humans and to certain organisms (what organisms tho? Dogs? Ants? Viruses? Trees? Bee colonies? Parrots? Why them) - then define how you will know that machines do NOT have this

Off you go. Best of luck
  • Options
    Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Go on then. Define intelligence and sentience and consciousness. - do what no philosopher has been able to do for 3000 years - then define why it is only limited to humans and to certain organisms (what organisms tho? Dogs? Ants? Viruses? Trees? Bee colonies? Parrots? Why them) - then define how you will know that machines do NOT have this

Off you go. Best of luck
    What we do know is that intelligence isn't copy and pasting bits of stuff that are "a bit like what you want" together.
  • Options

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck
    What we do know is that intelligence isn't copy and pasting bits of stuff that are "a bit like what you want" together.
    Very good observation.
  • Options

DM_Andy said:

By the way, at PMQs George Galloway and Lee Anderson sitting next to each other looking like the best of chums.

Two cheeks of the same arse, as Galloway is fond of saying.
    Galloway and Anderson likely agree on many issues. Galloway sounds increasingly alt right on some issues as he gets older.
  • Options
    Truman said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I agree. Garbage in garbage out. Also i dont believe humans have the intelligence to utilize AI effectively. Of course tech companies with hype AI they get more money from investors if they do.
    Didn't you know? @Leon with the self-proclaimed massive IQ stated that the AI companies had all the money they needed, and didn't want any more investment.

Which makes them the first tech companies ever to say that... ;)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    edited March 13

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

"What if AI can't happen?" is an intelligent question to ask, but it is a question, not an answer.

Still less are "What if people are fooled into thinking computer systems are intelligent when they aren't", or "SatNav makes mistakes" answers to the question.

Really the question boils down to "Is there anything to prevent an artificial brain from emulating or surpassing a human brain?". Some people certainly advance religious or philosophical arguments to that effect, but it seems to me that they all hinge on the idea that either there is something essentially non-physical involved in intelligence, or else there is some function of our biological brains that is incapable of being replicated computationally. Both those ideas seem to go pretty much against the scientific mainstream.

I think the proposition that AI can't happen needs something a lot stronger than the kind of arguments people come up with while perched on bar-stools.

• Options

Incidentally, SpaceX might be trying for the third test flight of their SH/SS combo tomorrow.

Might be Friday, depends on the final paperwork from the FAA
  • Options
    Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck
    It’s a good challenge but not currently possible to fulfil.

I suspect we are missing several layers of understanding about how the brain works (see also genetics - how is instinct encoded?). This is not to promote weird conspiracy theories just to recognise that there is no reason to think we are anywhere near knowing all the unknowns.

We should remember too that most scientific and technological progress is achieved at least in part through experimentation as much as pure thought. How adept AI will be an experimenting remains to be seen.

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Truman said:

This is for Leon.

No. Because both sides will have AI and neither side will know if the other has an AI good enough to guarantee winning. For bookmaking to work you need human fallibility on both sides - and mutual trust

It’s like the way smartphones destroyed pub quizzes - but times a billion, because there’s no way of eliminating the phones
    Bookmakers guarantee winning by making a book, not by accurately predicting the winner. Your reasoning is based on a flawed understanding of bookmaking.
  • Options
    Truman said:

DM_Andy said:

Two cheeks of the same arse, as Galloway is fond of saying.
    Galloway and Anderson likely agree on many issues. Galloway sounds increasingly alt right on some issues as he gets older.
    I doubt they agree on Gaza
  • Options

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck
    No, we don’t know even that

We don’t even know if humans have free will. Nor do we know if we are merely players in a simulation

Nor do we know if WE are just stochastic parrots, autocomplete machines of reflexes driven by our genes

So we don’t know any of this and you in particular don’t know shit, sorry
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

"What if AI can't happen?" is an intelligent question to ask, but it is a question, not an answer.

Still less are "What if people are fooled into thinking computer systems are intelligent when they aren't", or "SatNav makes mistakes" answers to the question.

Really the question boils down to "Is there anything to prevent an artificial brain from emulating or surpassing a human brain?". Some people certainly advance religious or philosophical arguments to that effect, but it seems to me that they all hinge on the idea that either there is something essentially non-physical involved in intelligence, or else there is some function of our biological brains that is incapable of being replicated computationally. Both those ideas seem to go pretty much against the scientific mainstream.

I think the proposition that AI can't happen needs something a lot stronger than the kind of arguments people come up with while perched on bar-stools.

Unknown unknowns. The idea of television, for example, went pretty much against the scientific mainstream 150 years ago.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    AP (via Seattle Times) - Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is considering Aaron Rodgers or Jesse Ventura for a 2024 running mate

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is having conversations with vice presidential candidates as he gets closer to announcing his running mate for his independent presidential bid.

Kennedy told The New York Times that NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers and former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura are at the top of his list. Stefanie Spear, a campaign spokesperson, confirmed the Times report and said there are other names on Kennedy’s short list.

Kennedy, a scion of one of the nation’s most prominent political families, has focused on getting access to the ballot, an expensive and time-consuming process that he has said will require him to collect more than a million signatures in a state-by-state effort.

Many states require independent candidates to name a running mate before they can seek access to the ballot, a factor driving the early push for Kennedy to make a pick. Major party candidates generally don’t pick vice presidential nominees until closer to their summer conventions. . . .

Rodgers, the longtime Green Bay Packers quarterback who now plays for the New York Jets, shares Kennedy’s distrust of vaccine mandates and, like Kennedy, is a fixture on anti-establishment podcasts. Ventura, a former professional wrestler, shocked observers when he won the race for Minnesota governor as an independent candidate in 1998.

SSI - Beyond national celebrity (bit dimmed by time in case of Ventura) either of these possible VP picks MIGHT give RFKjr a very wee (in more way than one?) boost in the battleground state of Wisconsin.

Ventura having been gov of neighboring Minnesota, and Rogers long-time quarterback for Green Bay Packers.

OR in case of AR, perhaps not . . .

Forbes - Why Aaron Rodgers Was Never Beloved Like Other Green Bay Packers Greats

While Packer Nation mourned [previous QB Brett] Favre’s departure, few tears were shed when the Rodgers’ trade became official. In fact there was more celebrating than sorrow.

Talk radio. Social media. Fan polls.

They’ve all had largely the same message for Rodgers in recent days: “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.” . . .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2023/04/24/why-aaron-rodgers-was-never-beloved-like-other-green-bay-packers-greats/?sh=6878e6464425
  • Options

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck
    Certainly. I'm sure many people working on AI would entirely agree with you. For example, here's a recent interview with Ben Goertzel:
    https://www.iflscience.com/top-computer-scientist-thinks-super-intelligent-ai-could-be-here-by-2029-73280

Goertzel thinks large language models are the wrong tree to bark up (if I remember correctly, previously he said the wrong tree in the wrong forest on the wrong Continent). But that's not at all the same as thinking "AI can't happen".
  • Options
    US considering a ban on tiktok. Apparently they are not happy with all the pro Palestine propoganda on the app.

The Future of TikTok in the US and UK: What You Need to Know

The US is considering a ban on TikTok while the UK may be following a similar path. But what does this mean for users and how is TikTok responding? Read on to find out.

#TikTok #Ban #US #UK #TechNews 📱

The US House of Representatives has passed a bill that could lead to the app being banned if its Chinese owner does not sell. What does this bill mean for TikTok and its users?

#TikTokBan #USBill #TechRegulation

If enforced, the bill would require the Chinese company ByteDance to sell its stake in the US version of TikTok, effectively resulting in a ban. But what is the impact of this decision and who would buy the US version of the app?

#ByteDance #US #TikTokSale

https://x.com/DoglinsNFT/status/1767941517342056720?s=20
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck

We don’t even know if humans have free will. Nor do we know if we are merely players in a simulation

Nor do we know if WE are just stochastic parrots, autocomplete machines of reflexes driven by our genes

The study of linguistics, and the brain machinery behind it, provides strong evidence that we aren't auto complete machines.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,590
    Am I starting to smell yet another Mad Vlad rat-bot?
  • Options

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Unknown unknowns. The idea of television, for example, went pretty much against the scientific mainstream 150 years ago.
    Sorry to be blunt, but really saying "Unknown unknowns" is still less of an argument for anything than the ones I already mentioned.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,141

Am I starting to smell yet another Mad Vlad rat-bot?

This one seems to think we are the TikTok generation. In fact we are barely the Tic-Tac generation.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I expect AI to happen but.

1. The bullshit generator large language models that we have are not a stepping stone towards AI, useful though they might be in a number of applications.

2. There's a lot of evidence that the brain is more complicated than simply a large number of neurons that applies general purpose computation to create "intelligence", so trying to replicate it is a non-obvious problem.

The conceptually simplest way would probably be to create a really good simulation of the problems our brains evolved to solve, and then let artificial evolution have at it, but that isn't trivial to set up.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,823
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck

We do have free will - the Greek philosophers showed that 2,400 years ago.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Sorry to be blunt, but really saying "Unknown unknowns" is still less of an argument for anything than the ones I already mentioned.
    No need to apologise for bluntness - I made my point badly.

What I am trying to say is we don’t know what we don’t know. Now, that may be seen as a cop out but unless you think we have learnt all there is to know on this subject it’s undeniably true that we may yet learn things that do for example fall into the category of something non-physical being involved in intelligence.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck

Mrs P. advises I should beg to differ.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Leon said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck

I'm not convinced they necessarily have the last word on the subject, though. We've learned a bit about neuroscience since then. My money, FWIW, is on not.
  • Options

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

1. The bullshit generator large language models that we have are not a stepping stone towards AI, useful though they might be in a number of applications.

2. There's a lot of evidence that the brain is more complicated than simply a large number of neurons that applies general purpose computation to create "intelligence", so trying to replicate it is a non-obvious problem.

The conceptually simplest way would probably be to create a really good simulation of the problems our brains evolved to solve, and then let artificial evolution have at it, but that isn't trivial to set up.
    From the part of your comment where you say "I expect AI to happen", I conclude that you aren't disagreeing with me when I say that the proposition that it can't happen has not been adequately supported.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,653

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I might suggest you are being a bit woolly in your terms, with "Current AI" and "actual AI". We have had forms of AI for... well, centuries or millennia, depending what you mean, but about 80 years in a modern sense of the term. We've had everyday, practical uses of AI for over 40 years.

But I presume by "Current AI", you mean the recent explosion in generative AI methods, and particularly the use of large language models. LLMs are an exciting tech that is going to have a lot of practical uses. The hype from the cargo cult commentators should be ignored, but this is important tech.

Do LLMs and other generative AI get us any closer to artificial general intelligence (AGI), something that thinks like a person and what I presume you mean by "actual AI"? I think you're right that there is a very big gap between LLMs and AGI. Fancier, bigger LLMs are not going to turn into AGI and spontaneously generate self-awareness. But that doesn't mean that they might not be a part of the puzzle that gets you to AGI. LLMs do, already, prod our understanding of "real" intelligence and how we use language. They do suggest that a Chomskyian universal grammar is unnecessary and that statistical models of language acquisition are more viable than we thought.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

From the part of your comment where you say "I expect AI to happen", I conclude that you aren't disagreeing with me when I say that the proposition that it can't happen has not been adequately supported.
    What definition of AI are you using?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

What I am trying to say is we don’t know what we don’t know. Now, that may be seen as a cop out but unless you think we have learnt all there is to know on this subject it’s undeniably true that we may yet learn things that do for example fall into the category of something non-physical being involved in intelligence.
    Probably what I'm saying is that according to the best current understanding there is no reason to think that computational AI isn't possible.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I believe that intelligence is an emergent property of physical processes, so I think that the assertion that it cannot be reproduced artificially is self-evident tosh, but your comment made me think of more interesting aspects.

Unfortunately you seem to be focused on point-scoring.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

It was once thought that the saxophone couldn't exist. There were court cases about it.
    Yet I think the consensus now is that it not only can, but does.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I think that's a bit of a red herring. By that, I mean debates over whether an artificial brain can emulate or surpass a human brain. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be possible, but that's all very hypothetical. What matters is what the current technology, in particular large language models, represent in terms of that quest. I think the question of whether the cargo cult are "getting excited over an Eliza with more data" is very apt.
  • Options

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I might suggest you are being a bit woolly in your terms, with "Current AI" and "actual AI". We have had forms of AI for... well, centuries or millennia, depending what you mean, but about 80 years in a modern sense of the term. We've had everyday, practical uses of AI for over 40 years.

But I presume by "Current AI", you mean the recent explosion in generative AI methods, and particularly the use of large language models. LLMs are an exciting tech that is going to have a lot of practical uses. The hype from the cargo cult commentators should be ignored, but this is important tech.

Do LLMs and other generative AI get us any closer to artificial general intelligence (AGI), something that thinks like a person and what I presume you mean by "actual AI"? I think you're right that there is a very big gap between LLMs and AGI. Fancier, bigger LLMs are not going to turn into AGI and spontaneously generate self-awareness. But that doesn't mean that they might not be a part of the puzzle that gets you to AGI. LLMs do, already, prod our understanding of "real" intelligence and how we use language. They do suggest that a Chomskyian universal grammar is unnecessary and that statistical models of language acquisition are more viable than we thought.
    A statistical model of language acquisition is viable for a supercomputer studying through the entire corpus of the internet, not for a young child learning language from interactions in meatspace over the course of a few years.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Probably what I'm saying is that according to the best current understanding there is no reason to think that computational AI isn't possible.
    That’s fair enough.

Trying to think of a good analogy. How about prior to Newton there was no reason to think that perpetual motion wasn’t possible? Or maybe, prior to Columbus there was no reason for Europeans to think that the Americas existed (you’ll have to excuse me the Vikings).
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

As I said, emulating a human brain. I can't see that a better test has really been proposed, other than that an AI should be indistinguishable from a human intelligence.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004

AP (via Seattle Times) - Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is considering Aaron Rodgers or Jesse Ventura for a 2024 running mate

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is having conversations with vice presidential candidates as he gets closer to announcing his running mate for his independent presidential bid.

Kennedy told The New York Times that NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers and former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura are at the top of his list. Stefanie Spear, a campaign spokesperson, confirmed the Times report and said there are other names on Kennedy’s short list.

Kennedy, a scion of one of the nation’s most prominent political families, has focused on getting access to the ballot, an expensive and time-consuming process that he has said will require him to collect more than a million signatures in a state-by-state effort.

Many states require independent candidates to name a running mate before they can seek access to the ballot, a factor driving the early push for Kennedy to make a pick. Major party candidates generally don’t pick vice presidential nominees until closer to their summer conventions. . . .

Rodgers, the longtime Green Bay Packers quarterback who now plays for the New York Jets, shares Kennedy’s distrust of vaccine mandates and, like Kennedy, is a fixture on anti-establishment podcasts. Ventura, a former professional wrestler, shocked observers when he won the race for Minnesota governor as an independent candidate in 1998.

SSI - Beyond national celebrity (bit dimmed by time in case of Ventura) either of these possible VP picks MIGHT give RFKjr a very wee (in more way than one?) boost in the battleground state of Wisconsin.

Ventura having been gov of neighboring Minnesota, and Rogers long-time quarterback for Green Bay Packers.

OR in case of AR, perhaps not . . .

Forbes - Why Aaron Rodgers Was Never Beloved Like Other Green Bay Packers Greats

While Packer Nation mourned [previous QB Brett] Favre’s departure, few tears were shed when the Rodgers’ trade became official. In fact there was more celebrating than sorrow.

Talk radio. Social media. Fan polls.

They’ve all had largely the same message for Rodgers in recent days: “Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.” . . .

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robreischel/2023/04/24/why-aaron-rodgers-was-never-beloved-like-other-green-bay-packers-greats/?sh=6878e6464425

For those that don't know, the American football season starts at the beginning of September and runs through election day.

That makes it... unlikely... that Aaron Rodgers would be able to devote much time to being RFK's VP.

• Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,757
    Arthur Koestler (The Ghost in the Machine, 1967), Steven Rose (The Conscious Brain, 1976) and Roger Penrose (The Emperor's New Mind, 1989) all argued convincingly that there was far more to the human brain than meets the eye and its function cannot be explained or replicated by simulation. But still people try.

You are what you read.
  • Options

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

A statistical model of language acquisition is viable for a supercomputer studying through the entire corpus of the internet, not for a young child learning language from interactions in meatspace over the course of a few years.
    Yes, that is the key difference between an LLM and a young child. That's why I only went with "suggest" rather than "prove". However, research on miniature LLMs and other lines of enquiry do point to statistical models of language acquisition as being viable for a young child. And there are, of course, many other problems with Chomsky's UG.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Leon said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Off you go. Best of luck
    Certainly. I'm sure many people working on AI would entirely agree with you. For example, here's a recent interview with Ben Goertzel:
    https://www.iflscience.com/top-computer-scientist-thinks-super-intelligent-ai-could-be-here-by-2029-73280

Goertzel thinks large language models are the wrong tree to bark up (if I remember correctly, previously he said the wrong tree in the wrong forest on the wrong Continent). But that's not at all the same as thinking "AI can't happen".
    Indeed - "AI can't happen requires" literal magic. See Roger Penrose. You might as well proclaim a need for souls.

I upset Penrose, long ago, when I asked him why a machine couldn't do his quantum stuff.
  • Options

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

A computer scientist told me in 2004 that mass streaming of TV was impossible and would remain so as there could never be enough bandwidth. Now a middle-sized cheese at Google.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    I am going to have nightmares after seeing this. Labour aren’t fit for office.

https://x.com/uklabour/status/1767888379172049075?s=61&t=c6bcp0cjChLfQN5Tc8A_6g
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

As I said, emulating a human brain. I can't see that a better test has really been proposed, other than that an AI should be indistinguishable from a human intelligence.
    That's fair enough as a definition of something. It is worth noting that the term "AI" as used in the academic and computing literature is used to mean something much simpler. Different definitions are useful in different discussions: just want to avoid any terminological confusion.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,004

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Wait: you think Chomsky could be wrong about something?
  • Options

Chris said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I believe that intelligence is an emergent property of physical processes, so I think that the assertion that it cannot be reproduced artificially is self-evident tosh, but your comment made me think of more interesting aspects.

Unfortunately you seem to be focused on point-scoring.
    Fine. Whether you call it clarity or point-scoring is up to you.
  • Options

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

Pretty much what I meant.

And solving particular tasks is not evidence of AI. For centuries people thought that a a machine that could play chess would have to be intelligent.

Then this played chess. Badly, but in 1K of space!

• Options

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

I think that's a bit of a red herring. By that, I mean debates over whether an artificial brain can emulate or surpass a human brain. I don't see any reason why that shouldn't be possible, but that's all very hypothetical. What matters is what the current technology, in particular large language models, represent in terms of that quest. I think the question of whether the cargo cult are "getting excited over an Eliza with more data" is very apt.
    Whether you think it's a red herring or not, it was a response to the question "What if AI can't happen?"
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Chris said:

Truman said:

Donkeys said:

Leon said:

Fuck me

If, if, if.

A computer scientist told me in 2004 that mass streaming of TV was impossible and would remain so as there could never be enough bandwidth. Now a middle-sized cheese at Google.
    What was the quote? "Something is only possible after a middle aged scientist has denied it is possible."?

In the case of streaming, an extraordinary number of "experts" were unaware that

1) To stream a film *instantly*, you only need a network bitrate marginally higher than the playback bitrate.
    2) The planned, years in advance, increase in capacities of the networks in various countries.

Expertise didn't apparently extend to reading published papers on the subject.
This discussion has been closed.