Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ayrshire hotelier wins the GOP nomination – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Mortimer said:

Cicero said:

FT follows upon a previous PB thread: https://www.ft.com/content/ee38f165-fdd1-41b2-97ea-844f90314ffe

“Voters, donors, and staff alike are either fleeing the MAGA-fied Republican party or being chaotically forced out in a mass purge, casting a troubling shadow on the committee’s balance sheet and their prospects at the ballot box leading into a critical election year,” wrote DNC executive director Sam Cornale

I think the down ballot point is quite interesting. The combination of Trump and the chaos in the House as the result of the GOPs utter incompetence could lead to big problems for the Republicans across the ticket.

I have many rock-ribbed Republican friends who openly call Trump as fascist and will not come out for MAGA candidates. Could it be that, despite the apparently close polls, in fact the Republicans are facing the same debilitating disease as Tories in the UK? "I may be a conservative, but I am not with this Tory Party".

Squeezed for cash, chaotically managed, with a Presidential nominee who is a proven liar and a crook, one could easily see decent Republicans walking away, as they seem to have done in Georgia.

In which case, shouldn´t we be thinking more about a Dem landslide, rather than the return of Trump?

In the UK the unpopularity of the Tories is rejected in the opinion polls - they're averaging ~25%. If your hypothesis was true we would see it in the opinion polls. But we don't. Why?

Either because Biden is sufficiently unpopular to put potential switchers off, or most Republican voters are committed to Trump.
    What may have an effect is the RNC machine being turned over to the MAGA types. They have a skills in fucking up.

American elections are quite dependent on the party machines for energising and getting their vote out.
    Double disastrous for the Republicans, as Covid in 2020 held the Democrats back in their usual GOTV operations.
    But it also allowed voting for what seemed like months beforehand.....
    You can't steal an election overnight, you know...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695
    HYUFD said:

Phil said:

Bet Sunak is bloody seething about Hunt's wild promise to get rid of NI.

Labour can hammer this all the way until Jan 2025.

The irony of this is that it’s a good policy: NI & income tax should be merged.

The fact that neither party can advocate for this without people going nuts is the real problem.
    It isn't, NI should be for the state pension and contributory JSA we don't need even more welfare dependency
    Has something gone wrong with the Matrix? @HYUFD is opposing Tory party policy.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 609
    MattW said:

Having listened to PMQ, I think the most interesting question wsa perhaps the last - Mark Francois.

There seems to suddenly be a bit of momentum around this call to increase defence spending.

Had these backbenchers been led to believe that there'd be an increase in the budget ? Or are they just really bad at timing their lobbying efforts?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 13
    Leon said:

This is a bit off-centre for here, but I'm rather interested in the fact that Trump himself is rather interested in UFO's.

He's made various threats to release various kinds of information, at various times, which might be possibly the only interesting thing about an another upcoming disastrous Trump Presidency, if that happens.

In that case Leon might explode which would also be marginally interesting.
    Trouble is, it’s not true

Bizarrely, as far as I can tell from my research, Trump is the only living President who has NOT made suggestive or ambiguous remarks about UFOs

He came right out and said “it’s all a load of bollocks”

Make of that what you will
    This is rather different what I read, a while back. Hasn't he made various threats to break the "seal" ?

As I understand it this is what the more far-right end of UFO circles, rather than the more respectable ones, mean when they refer to "the seal" and governmental secrecy on this particular topic.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    edited March 13
    Foxy said:

I see the work experience kids have got hold of the twitter feed again:

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1767894853902377351?t=GkeMMCBRCsjSVOZ4sDiEqg&s=19

That’s so incorrect on so many levels that I don’t think anyone would know how to reply - so it serves the purpose of the Tory party but destroys their reputation with other people on a long term basis.

Edit the community note points out how the cab rule system works - it’s just a shame that having already had it explained to them 25 times the Tory party is still too thick to understand it

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,653
    Foxy said:

https://twitter.com/Conservatives/status/1767894853902377351?t=GkeMMCBRCsjSVOZ4sDiEqg&s=19

Oh dear, that's abject.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,500
    Just confirms this was the wrong approach to deal with this.

Families of convicted postmasters said a law intended to overturn hundreds of convictions makes a “mockery” of justice because their loved ones will be excluded.

The government is introducing a bill to parliament on Wednesday to quash hundreds of criminal convictions, obtained using data from the Post Office’s flawed Horizon accounting system, at a single stroke.

Campaigners greeted the decision with delight when it was announced nine weeks ago. Ministers hope the law will pass by July, allowing about 700 victims to claim compensation starting at £600,000 by the end of the year.

But 13 cases have been excluded from the legislation because their convictions were upheld by the appeal courts or they were refused permission to appeal, leading families to urge MPs to expand the bill to include them.

Paul Cousins’s mother Wendy fought for years to prove she had been falsely convicted of stealing £13,000 from her own branch in 2005. She died in 2022.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/post-office-scandal-convictions-new-bill-ndrkgg50v
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,321
    TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP
    TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

TRUMP MUST WIN. TRUMP IS THE MAN

Don’t want @kinabalu to think I might be wavering
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,695
    theProle said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

The fact that neither party can advocate for this without people going nuts is the real problem.
    It isn't, NI should be for the state pension and contributory JSA we don't need even more welfare dependency
    What's wrong with abolishing NI and requiring x years of IT paid over threshold y to qualify for a full state pension instead?

Or just raise the ceiling for the zero rate of NI to infinity quid?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,663
    A 500 page report in which he went on about Biden being forgetful, and he left this bit out ?
    https://twitter.com/notcapnamerica/status/1767602623828373635
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,598
    AlsoLei said:

MattW said:

Having listened to PMQ, I think the most interesting question wsa perhaps the last - Mark Francois.

There seems to suddenly be a bit of momentum around this call to increase defence spending.

Had these backbenchers been led to believe that there'd be an increase in the budget ? Or are they just really bad at timing their lobbying efforts?
    Let me add that the one by the SNP Leader was as important. I missed that from my previous comment.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898

Mortimer said:

Cicero said:

FT follows upon a previous PB thread: https://www.ft.com/content/ee38f165-fdd1-41b2-97ea-844f90314ffe

“Voters, donors, and staff alike are either fleeing the MAGA-fied Republican party or being chaotically forced out in a mass purge, casting a troubling shadow on the committee’s balance sheet and their prospects at the ballot box leading into a critical election year,” wrote DNC executive director Sam Cornale

I think the down ballot point is quite interesting. The combination of Trump and the chaos in the House as the result of the GOPs utter incompetence could lead to big problems for the Republicans across the ticket.

I have many rock-ribbed Republican friends who openly call Trump as fascist and will not come out for MAGA candidates. Could it be that, despite the apparently close polls, in fact the Republicans are facing the same debilitating disease as Tories in the UK? "I may be a conservative, but I am not with this Tory Party".

Squeezed for cash, chaotically managed, with a Presidential nominee who is a proven liar and a crook, one could easily see decent Republicans walking away, as they seem to have done in Georgia.

In which case, shouldn´t we be thinking more about a Dem landslide, rather than the return of Trump?

In the UK the unpopularity of the Tories is rejected in the opinion polls - they're averaging ~25%. If your hypothesis was true we would see it in the opinion polls. But we don't. Why?

Either because Biden is sufficiently unpopular to put potential switchers off, or most Republican voters are committed to Trump.
    What may have an effect is the RNC machine being turned over to the MAGA types. They have a skills in fucking up.

American elections are quite dependent on the party machines for energising and getting their vote out.
    Double disastrous for the Republicans, as Covid in 2020 held the Democrats back in their usual GOTV operations.
    But it also allowed voting for what seemed like months beforehand.....
    American voting policies seem bonkers to us Brits.

Can you imagine being at a count in the UK and the returning officer tells us this is a provisional result as votes can be received weeks after election day.
    I agree that voting methods in the US are bonkers. The fact that some primaries are held after the candidates are known must be very frustrtating if you live in one of those states.

However allowing postal/absentee votes to be posted on the day of the election happens in other countries too, for example in Australia, there are usually a couplle of contituencies that are too close to call until a week or so later.

Mike Smithson has often criticised postal voting in the UK as making a choice without the full information being available to those sending in their ballots a couple of weeks in advance compared to voting on the day.
  • Options
    TRAVEL ADVISORY

When a Colombian cab driver apparently says “I’m going to try an experimental new route” what he actually means is “I’m going to try the same route as always but I’m going to experiment by driving it at 320kph”
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    eek said:

Foxy said:

That’s so incorrect on so many levels that I don’t think anyone would know how to reply - so it serves the purpose of the Tory party but destroys their reputation with other people on a long term basis.

Edit the community note points out how the cab rule system works - it’s just a shame that having already had it explained to them 25 times the Tory party is still too thick to understand it
    Even if the cab rank rule didn't exist, would it really be a desirable outcome that people or organisations that the government doesn't like aren't entitled to legal representation?

• Options

Leon said:

This is a bit off-centre for here, but I'm rather interested in the fact that Trump himself is rather interested in UFO's.

He's made various threats to release various kinds of information, at various times, which might be possibly the only interesting thing about an another upcoming disastrous Trump Presidency, if that happens.

Bizarrely, as far as I can tell from my research, Trump is the only living President who has NOT made suggestive or ambiguous remarks about UFOs

This is rather different what I read, a while back. Hasn't he made various threats to break the "seal" ?

As I understand it this is what the more far-right end of UFO circles, rather than the more respectable ones, mean when they refer to "the seal" and governmental secrecy on this particular topic.
    No, he was directly asked about UFOs (IIRC) - on camera - and he said “I’ve looked into it and it’s all nonsense”

Or words to that effect. So maybe he’s actually the only SANE President?

In which, case it’s just one more compelling reason to vote

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Nigelb said:

A 500 page report in which he went on about Biden being forgetful, and he left this bit out ?

Biden's a doddery old fker

get over it, he should just give up and go back to having geriatric sex while he still can. He'll be happier.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Foxy said:

They perhaps need this political tool...

https://youtu.be/_wkyTaSIotY
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,454
    Foxy said:

Where (and why) do they get the pictures of Starmer looking sharp, relatively youthful, happy?

Most pics I've seen he looks pretty dour, tired and slightly jowly
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Foxy said:

Where (and why) do they get the pictures of Starmer looking sharp, relatively youthful, happy?

Most pics I've seen he looks pretty dour, tired and slightly jowly
    Mandelson hands them out, Sir Keir Porker cant shed the pounds fast enough
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    Well, things are looking up for Columbia. It seems that @Leon has taken *all* the drugs. So the cartels will collapse tomorrow.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    edited March 13
    Looking objectively at the 10M Pound tory donation row, it is better that the Conservative party rather than a obnoxious extreme racist make use of that money.
  • Options
    Is it me, or is there an optical illusion here

When - like any right thinking pb-er - you type the words

… when you look at the words afterwards it seems like they are kinda jumping up and down. As if the very letters are on a kind of rollercoaster of joy and excitement as they anticipate the return of the Donald

Try it and see. Everyone should try it. Write out

Then sit back and watch

Everything about Trump is amazing and brilliant
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    edited March 13
    eek said:

Foxy said:

The Tory Party understands it perfectly. That’s what makes it more pathetic.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No, he was directly asked about UFOs (IIRC) - on camera - and he said “I’ve looked into it and it’s all nonsense”

Or words to that effect. So maybe he’s actually the only SANE President?

In which, case it’s just one more compelling reason to vote

Have you gone full-on anti-vax yet? you have all the characteristics
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Leon said:

… when you look at the words afterwards it seems like they are kinda jumping up and down. As if the very letters are on a kind of rollercoaster of joy and excitement as they anticipate the return of the Donald

Then sit back and watch

Our site twat is back.
  • Options
    There is a general feeling here that things cannot get worse for the Cons. Are you not watching? Have you not noticed the performance levels of Mr Sunak and his No 10 team? Have you not spotted how poor the levels of ability in the Cabinet are?

These folk can do worse and probably will. Their floundering about trying to find a viable attack line is deeply unattractive and generally counter-productive. Does noone remember the lacuna between Johnson getting handed his jotters and his actually leaving No 10. Do we not recall how the Cons lost ground over that summer? Well this year looks like all that and on steroids.

Things most definitely can get worse for them
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

Then sit back and watch

Our site twat is back.
    Odd way to introduce yourself. Why ?
  • Options
    TrumanTruman Posts: 279
    This is an interesting one.

EMMANUEL MACRONS WIFE BRIGITTE IS A MAN

She is really Jean-Michel Trogneux (which is the name of Brigitte Macron’s supposed brother)

No pictures of Brigitte before her 30s have been produced, and no pictures or appearances of her brother have been seen since Brigitte Macron came on the scene

"The journalist Natacha Rey, who is the author, said she had firm evidence that the first lady was born Jean Michel Trogneux, a transgender male. Rey has been researching the shady past of Brigitte and the curious disappearance of her alleged “brother”."

https://x.com/RedpillDrifter/status/1767827338371498039?s=20
  • Options
    @Leon the spam trap doesn’t like repetitive posting such as posting Trump over and over again, so you can either desist or become friends with the spam trap, your call.
  • Options
    Truman said:

She is really Jean-Michel Trogneux (which is the name of Brigitte Macron’s supposed brother)

No pictures of Brigitte before her 30s have been produced, and no pictures or appearances of her brother have been seen since Brigitte Macron came on the scene

"The journalist Natacha Rey, who is the author, said she had firm evidence that the first lady was born Jean Michel Trogneux, a transgender male. Rey has been researching the shady past of Brigitte and the curious disappearance of her alleged “brother”."

I get that you probably work for Putin - and I don’t mind, you’re welcome, comrade - until and unless you break the site rules - and you haven’t

So I just want to say that’s a brilliant conspiracy theory. I am almost certain it’s nonsense but it is first class in its own terms
  • Options
    Truman said:

so what?
  • Options

@Leon the spam trap doesn’t like repetitive posting such as posting Trump over and over again, so you can either desist or become friends with the spam trap, your call.

I shall desist as I believe I have made my point and crushed the doubters into dust
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    kinabalu said:

Phil said:

This is one of several areas where radical change is only possible if both main parties agree on it.
    Indeed. Co-operating on the right thing for the country is obvious, but the temptation to “default” for a short term political gotcha (on both sides of parliament) is clearly overwhelming on almost every question facing the country.
  • Options
    Truman said:

Wait until you hear the stories about Putin being a player of the pink oboe.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    AlsoLei said:

MattW said:

The government had previously talked about gradually increasing defence spending to 2.5%, but in the budget they added a caveat which I think was new. They would aim to increase defence spending to 2.5% when economic circumstances allowed.

Give the demographic and other pressures on the budget that's tantamount to saying never. I think that's why the issue has gained some extra prominence.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170
    edited March 13
    Truman said:

Not very interesting as with minimal searching I've just found several pics of young Brigitte, including of her first wedding. How does RedpillDrifter explain her three kids?
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

Truman said:

so what?
    Putin is jealous
  • Options

Truman said:

Not very interesting as with minimal searching I've just found several pics of young Brigitte, including of her first wedding. How does RedpillDrifter explain her three kids?
    They were from the basement of a pizza restaurant.

Obvious, really.
  • Options

Truman said:

Weird that Truman missed the Community Note.

• Options
    edited March 13

Truman said:

Wait until you hear the stories about Putin being a player of the pink oboe.
    Unbelievable

• Options

Truman said:

Well you know you cant trust pictures nowadays. Who knows what is true and what isnt true. We live in chaotic times.
  • Options
    I withdraw my critique of my Colombian taxi driver. Yes he drove at 430kph but he did it THROUGH THE JUNGLE and he has in fact brought me on time to the estacion autobus

Bravo
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Right, photo caption time

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,428
    edited March 13
    Can Fact to File silence the doubters? That include myself.

Love Fay’s colour coded cheek pieces matching the coat.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

get over it, he should just give up and go back to having geriatric sex while he still can. He'll be happier.
    Hadn't got you down as a Kamala fan, but welcome to the club.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,692
    AlsoLei said:

Just got out from watching PMQs from the public gallery. Interesting experience - good robust knockabout stuff. Sunak did as well as could be expected given he seems determined to hang on to Hester’s £10m. Diane Abbot was clearly desperate to speak - jumping up at every pause - but surprisingly not called by the Speaker.

Oh, so that explains the shocked noises when the speaker called the final question - the cameras had cut to her a couple of times during earlier questions, but she seemed to be sitting pretty impassively on both occasions. One of the benefits of being in the chamber!

Judging from the live feed, it was another generally subdued performance from the Speaker - I wouldn't at all be surprised if he were to announce that he was stepping down at the end of the parliament.
    Abbott stood up at least 10 times by my reckoning. I am not a fan but it beggars belief she wasn’t called.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233
    edited March 13
    Truman said:

Interesting? is that some new meaning of the word, as in it is total and utter drivel. I really do think that cretins who post this and similar idiocy should be shunned, on the grounds that they reduce the IQ of every room they walk into.

Provably untrue rubbish is not interesting, unless you are a specialist in mental health.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262
    The Hester affair is everything wrong with the Tory party. Overt racism. Questionable contracts. Dripping arrogance. And they have managed to directly contradict their own positions of a week ago so that so many MPs are sent out defending the indefensible. Which is so absurd politically they are bound to uturn soon.
  • Options
    A statement on behalf of Hoyle:

"During prime minister’s questions, the speaker must select MPs from either side of the house on an alternating basis for fairness.
    This takes place within a limited timeframe, with the chair prioritising members who are already listed on the order paper.
    This week – as is often the case – there was not enough time to call all members who wanted to ask a question."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/mar/13/tory-donation-frank-hester-pmqs-rishi-sunak-keir-starmer-uk-politics-live?page=with:block-65f1b3b68f0836980f1b00e9#block-65f1b3b68f0836980f1b00e9

A bit weak - PMQs often goes goes on until 1240, sometimes a few minutes later. Today it ended at 1234.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,233

"I really do have a huge weapon, you know, its not just made up"
  • Options
    Leon said:

Truman said:

I get that you probably work for Putin - and I don’t mind, you’re welcome, comrade - until and unless you break the site rules - and you haven’t

So I just want to say that’s a brilliant conspiracy theory. I am almost certain it’s nonsense but it is first class in its own terms
    Shame is we already did it today.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803
    edited March 13
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

No, you have it the wrong way round: the current Cabinet is opposing party policy as interpreted by HYUFD. Which is that the pensioners and the bequests to their children must be protected. Probably a rational analysis of the situation in Epping from his point of view. Though it comes close to being a fetish (in two meanings of the word, though not the third).
  • Options
    Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

This is one of several areas where radical change is only possible if both main parties agree on it.
    Indeed. Co-operating on the right thing for the country is obvious, but the temptation to “default” for a short term political gotcha (on both sides of parliament) is clearly overwhelming on almost every question facing the country.
    This is where Britain used to use something like a Royal Commission to create a consensus on a difficult problem, but that has failed recently.

Other countries have used citizen assemblies, with the advantage that it's normal citizens making the decisions, and so the general public may feel that the proposed solutions are their ideas, rather than those of the politicians.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

"I really do have a huge weapon, you know, its not just made up"
    "Is this window safe?"
  • Options
    American tv openly talking about Prince William having an affair.

THE PRINCE WILLIAM AFFAIR RUMOURS!!!!

The TEA is being spilt in the continent of America that Prince William and Kate Middleton have in the last four years had a huge interest in impressing and becoming popular in (because Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan live there and W&K have this one sided competition with them).

But now jokes are being made on American TV about their marriage and Prince William having an affair with Ross Handbury. Yikes!
    #princewilliamaffair #KateGate

https://x.com/GlowanneLee/status/1767825264589901955?s=20
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

This is where Britain used to use something like a Royal Commission to create a consensus on a difficult problem, but that has failed recently.

Other countries have used citizen assemblies, with the advantage that it's normal citizens making the decisions, and so the general public may feel that the proposed solutions are their ideas, rather than those of the politicians.
    Scotland too, though it seems to have gone quiet of late.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Truman said:

How so we know the russians havent turned you Leon. You do have expensive habits to maintain.
  • Options

“This window is not going to be any use at all”
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    Truman said:

The TEA is being spilt in the continent of America that Prince William and Kate Middleton have in the last four years had a huge interest in impressing and becoming popular in (because Prince Harry and Duchess Meghan live there and W&K have this one sided competition with them).

But now jokes are being made on American TV about their marriage and Prince William having an affair with Ross Handbury. Yikes!

And that’s news is it? That story has been known for years by anyone who knows how UK newspapers drop “hints”
  • Options

AlsoLei said:

Just got out from watching PMQs from the public gallery. Interesting experience - good robust knockabout stuff. Sunak did as well as could be expected given he seems determined to hang on to Hester’s £10m. Diane Abbot was clearly desperate to speak - jumping up at every pause - but surprisingly not called by the Speaker.

Oh, so that explains the shocked noises when the speaker called the final question - the cameras had cut to her a couple of times during earlier questions, but she seemed to be sitting pretty impassively on both occasions. One of the benefits of being in the chamber!

Judging from the live feed, it was another generally subdued performance from the Speaker - I wouldn't at all be surprised if he were to announce that he was stepping down at the end of the parliament.
    Abbott stood up at least 10 times by my reckoning. I am not a fan but it beggars belief she wasn’t called.
    So Q1 was Labour, then because Q2 and Q3 were both opposition as well, Hoyle jumps to Q4 Ellwood. Then Starmer so time for another government backbencher, Q6 Graham. Then Flynn and Q7 Quince, Davey and Q8 Cates. Now it's just go down the order, Q2 Daby but Hoyle's already run out of Tories on the list so calls Jenkyns. After that it was Q3 Saville Roberts and Chope, Q5 De Cordova and Baldwin, Q9 Grady and Leigh, Q10 Olney and Elphicke. Q11 Maskell and Mackrory, Q12 Dyke and Francois.

Time's up with 3 Labour on the PMQ list still uncalled so it's not like Abbott had a hope of getting called. It's technically the right application of the rules, but a good Speaker would know that he should have called Abbott or at least allowed her to give a statement to the House. It's just not good optics to call Christopher Chope, the biggest dinosaur in the chamber and not allow Diane Abbott to speak.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Hadn't got you down as a Kamala fan, but welcome to the club.
    She should stand

The results will be interesting
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

A royal commission on changing the name of a tax?

I think we are getting things out of proportion. And nobody seems to have noticed that if we abolish NI we have to invent a new tax on employers as well, without the fig leaf that it is a contribution toward benefits that their employees receive, which is supposedly what Employers NI is all about.

Abolishing NI is a pipe dream, there are far more important things for the government to be doing.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    edited March 13
    Truman said:

"Ross Handbury"? I know him he lives in Droitwich. No wonder the press are in a feeding frenzy. An extra marital affair is one thing, but alleging an affair with someone called Ross...
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Republican Congressman Mike Buck steps down with immediate effect.

He's Colorado 4th District, to where Lauren Boebert currently Colorado 3rd District has planned a Chicken Run. Boebert is the one of the even more-deranged-than-all-the-others MAGA-ites, iirc caught groping her boyfriend in a public theatre amongst other things.

So she has to step down early to run for District 4, or hang on and maybe lose the opportunity. Which could cause an election in District 3 too.

A small bomb placed under the narrow majority, especially if two elections are held and Republicans lose both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESFK3N_iYg
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/12/us/politics/ken-buck-resignation-gop-smaller-majority.html
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

There is a general feeling here that things cannot get worse for the Cons. Are you not watching? Have you not noticed the performance levels of Mr Sunak and his No 10 team? Have you not spotted how poor the levels of ability in the Cabinet are?

These folk can do worse and probably will. Their floundering about trying to find a viable attack line is deeply unattractive and generally counter-productive. Does noone remember the lacuna between Johnson getting handed his jotters and his actually leaving No 10. Do we not recall how the Cons lost ground over that summer? Well this year looks like all that and on steroids.

Things most definitely can get worse for them

I think Sunak, though he is poor, has a floor. He will not hit below 25% on polling day, imo. His inadequacies are already out there to see and are part of current polling.

Original sin is the Tories' existential enemy. The extent to which Badenoch, ANOther or, especially, Mordaunt, could be found out either by a month or two in office or a GE campaign and exposing yet another different, perhaps more colourful, set of inadequacies could lower the floor again.

I'm exactly thinking Canada 1993 in which a new leader polling bounce crumbled to dust in the last weeks of a GE campaign.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1993_Canadian_federal_election?wprov=sfla1
  • Options

Answer yes. Doubters silenced.

Bookies getting hammered.

I’ve yet to get off the mark for Day 2 - two letdowns so far, sorry.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,011
    eek said:

Truman said:

And that’s news is it? That story has been known for years by anyone who knows how UK newspapers drop “hints”
    Only somebody who wasn't, actually, in the UK would think this was news.
  • Options

“This window is not going to be any use at all”
    "I'm in a submarine; I'll go up."
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

AlsoLei said:

So Q1 was Labour, then because Q2 and Q3 were both opposition as well, Hoyle jumps to Q4 Ellwood. Then Starmer so time for another government backbencher, Q6 Graham. Then Flynn and Q7 Quince, Davey and Q8 Cates. Now it's just go down the order, Q2 Daby but Hoyle's already run out of Tories on the list so calls Jenkyns. After that it was Q3 Saville Roberts and Chope, Q5 De Cordova and Baldwin, Q9 Grady and Leigh, Q10 Olney and Elphicke. Q11 Maskell and Mackrory, Q12 Dyke and Francois.

Time's up with 3 Labour on the PMQ list still uncalled so it's not like Abbott had a hope of getting called. It's technically the right application of the rules, but a good Speaker would know that he should have called Abbott or at least allowed her to give a statement to the House. It's just not good optics to call Christopher Chope, the biggest dinosaur in the chamber and not allow Diane Abbott to speak.

Interesting points.From the public gallery It’s actually quite hard to follow who's being called so that protocol was lost on us. The Speaker no doubt being ultra careful not to be accused of bias.

Cynically it plays well for Starmer to keep this issue live for as long as possible.
  • Options
    This kind of thing drives me to the edge of madness

“Giant steel monolith appears on Welsh hillside”

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/giant-monolith-appears-top-welsh-28795875

A monolith, by definition, is made of stone. It cannot be made of steel
  • Options
    Labour should reinstate the ‘Would you…’ posters:

“Would you take £15,000 from a racist just so that you can fly around in a helicopter? Multi-millionaire Rishi Sunak would”
  • Options
    MattW said:

Republican Congressman Mike Buck steps down with immediate effect.

He's Colorado 4th District, to where Lauren Boebert currently Colorado 3rd District has planned a Chicken Run. Boebert is the one the more deranged MAGA-ites, iirc caught groping her boyfriend in a public theatre and various other things.

So she has to step down early to run for District 4, or hang on and maybe lose the opportunity. Which causes an election in District 3 too.

A small bomb placed under the narrow majority, especially if two elections are held and Republicans lose both.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RESFK3N_iYg
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/12/us/politics/ken-buck-resignation-gop-smaller-majority.html

How does the US system handle that? Would Boebart have to resign CO-3 before running for the GOP nomination in CO-4, only if she gets the nomination or only if she wins?

• Options
    This is for Leon.

AI will probably be smarter than any single human next year. By 2029, AI is probably smarter than all humans combined.

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1767738797276451090?s=20
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Leon said:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/giant-monolith-appears-top-welsh-28795875

"My God, it's full of stars..."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Truman said:

When are you going to ban me mate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Back towards the edge of madness? Who’d have thought such a thing could have therapeutic effects eh?
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Truman said:

Interesting? is that some new meaning of the word, as in it is total and utter drivel. I really do think that cretins who post this and similar idiocy should be shunned, on the grounds that they reduce the IQ of every room they walk into.

Provably untrue rubbish is not interesting, unless you are a specialist in mental health.
    This Truman show is on the wrong blog.
  • Options

DM_Andy said:

AlsoLei said:

Interesting points.From the public gallery It’s actually quite hard to follow who's being called so that protocol was lost on us. The Speaker no doubt being ultra careful not to be accused of bias.

Cynically it plays well for Starmer to keep this issue live for as long as possible.
    Absolutely, I was sure that Hoyle had done it wrong because this week's PMQs got through a lot of questions (30 in 34 minutes) and there's only 24 preordered (15 randomly drawn + 6 LotO, +2 SNP +1 Lib Dem) but it was only by plotting it out showed that he hadn't and judging from the sound in the chamber it seemed like a lot of the House lost track too.

• Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,829

If I didn't know this was about The Festival, I would think you were a spy passing code words lol.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

The problem with citizen assemblies is that pop up shop assembly decision making has the luxury of taking one issue at a time. I can solve any problem in the UK, and pay for it, on condition that it is the only problem I have to solve, and pay for, and don't have to take account of or responsibility for the other effects of what I do or other issues.

The awful truth is that we have a citizen assembly and it is called the House of Commons. Yes, it should do better, but also it's the best one we are going to have.
  • Options
    edited March 13

Labour should reinstate the ‘Would you…’ posters:

“Would you take £15,000 from a racist just so that you can fly around in a helicopter? Multi-millionaire Rishi Sunak would”

The Tories really need to stop referring to the comments as being "alleged" or "unverified". The donor hasn't denied using the words, and has apologised for his rudeness.

So why does the PM insist on quibbling over this?

I realise it probably comes from his "well, actually" tetchiness, but in this case it just makes him look insincere.
  • Options

If I didn't know this was about The Festival, I would think you were a spy passing code words lol.
    I’d be a rubbish spy.

I’m not even a passable festival tipster this year.
  • Options
    Truman said:

This is for Leon.

AI will probably be smarter than any single human next year. By 2029, AI is probably smarter than all humans combined.

Oooh. Ta

I haven’t obsessed about AI for about 40 minutes

*hops back down rabbithole*
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Truman said:

Not being a reader of the right/wrong newspapers and/or being given to skipping over royal news, I only learned of the alleged liaison on here.

I must admit, on reading it on here, I still didn't think it was actual news, but my definition of news probably requires it to be interesting :wink:
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Truman said:

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Truman said:

When are you going to ban me mate.
    Sledging the mods, now, eh?

Mind the windows, Tru, no?
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    If there was a betting market for "will the conservatives give back the £10mill" I would bet yes.... sunak is going to U-turn. That Hester guy is going down for hate speech and that money will be tainted.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,674

I’d be a rubbish spy.

I’m not even a passable festival tipster this year.
    On a different topic, I wondered if you had enjoyed the Disney+ MCU series “Moon Knight” and/or the Disney+ Marvel kids series “Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur”?
  • Options
    edited March 13

Moon Rabbit is less coy about the Cheltenham gossip on what's really going on with Kate than Topping is.

Moon's set it out pretty clearly here.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    Truman said:

Potential libel and given the multiple affairs of their Presidents from Kennedy to Bill Clinton to Trump rather hypocritical too
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,556
    Truman said:

This is for Leon.

When will AI be clever enough reliably and regularly to make large
    and risk free profits betting on horses? Who will be the first major bookmaker to go bust because of it?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    edited March 13
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Phil said:

No, you have it the wrong way round: the current Cabinet is opposing party policy as interpreted by HYUFD. Which is that the pensioners and the bequests to their children must be protected. Probably a rational analysis of the situation in Epping from his point of view. Though it comes close to being a fetish (in two meanings of the word, though not the third).
    Support for contributory welfare is a conservative principle, not just dependence on UC, as is support for inherited wealth not just letting the taxman take all your estate when you die
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Moon Rabbit is less coy about the Cheltenham gossip on what's really going on with Kate than Topping is.

I want to know if Topping came back with an expensive jacket and pair of boots he’s unlikely to ever wear. Don’t drink and shop.
  • Options
    edited March 13
    Jesus fucks Elon means it

AGI by next year. ASI by 2029

Does anyone on this forum understand how this will change the world? Probably not. I don’t. We just know that it will

This is it. I’m going to do it. We need it

BRACE
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Phil said:

kinabalu said:

Phil said:

The problem with citizen assemblies is that pop up shop assembly decision making has the luxury of taking one issue at a time. I can solve any problem in the UK, and pay for it, on condition that it is the only problem I have to solve, and pay for, and don't have to take account of or responsibility for the other effects of what I do or other issues.

The awful truth is that we have a citizen assembly and it is called the House of Commons. Yes, it should do better, but also it's the best one we are going to have.
    I think that the ordinary people who have participated in citizens assemblies have shown a surprising willingness to compromise and deal with awkward tradeoffs, that they would be a useful addition.

My preference would be to replace the House of Lords with a chamber populated by the jury system, so you bring ordinary people right into the legislature at random. We need to do something to break out of the cynicism doom loop and improve public debate between politicians and the public. I think citizens assemblies could be a useful tool, and they'd hopefully encourage a better standard of debate on the Commons too.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,608
    Lest we forget: from previous PB thread -

https://x.com/iapolls2022/status/1767747527707615306
    "williamglenn" > Decision Desk HQ projects Donald Trump wins the Washington Republican Primary and has won enough delegates to secure the Republican Nomination for President

"Leon" > Let’s just pray he wins the presidency. Or the West is finished
  • Options

"Fitted by Boeing, you say?"
    algarkirk said:

Truman said:

This is for Leon.

When will AI be clever enough reliably and regularly to make large
    and risk free profits betting on horses? Who will be the first major bookmaker to go bust because of it?
    This is actually a sound point. I’ve thought about it before

AI will make a better bettor than any human. It will learn all possible knowledge about horses, conditions, riders, odds. It will be able to make bets orders of magnitude cleverer than any human

That ends bookmaking as a business
  • Options
    Leon said:

Only if you're being unnecessarily pedantic.

'Monolith' already has one other long established alternative meaning, so it's not unreasonable that a third has evolved to describe an object of that size and form.

You're a wordsmith, so you know that.

Also, the Greeks had no steel.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    Leon said:

TRUMP MUST WIN. TRUMP IS THE MAN

Don’t want @kinabalu to think I might be wavering

Ah I see. You're semi-ashamed at having a better side and are now semi-pretending you don't.

Oh dear. So complicated.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

So it's her that's passing coded state secrets to Truman ?
This discussion has been closed.