Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Being told that the diagnosis is dementia – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,654

Every police force to get £1 million cash to tackle yobs ‘ruining lives’ with antisocial behaviour
    After trialling extra bobbies on the beat and targeted interventions in ten hotspots across the country, local trials have shown a decline in antisocial behaviour, the Home Office says.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/every-police-force-to-get-1-million-cash-for-antisocial-behaviour/

Bobbies on the beat. Yobbos to cashpoints. Jumpers for goalposts. Nothing to do with the Home Office that cut 20,000 coppers, or the government.

This sort of micromanaging from Whitehall makes me despair. What are PCCs, or all the other local policing boards, or even Chief Constables for, if Whitehall is making allocations of £1m to tackle antisocial behaviour?

Might Whitehall's time be better spent working on the problems that operate on a slightly larger scale?
    Remember the immortal words of Senator Dianne Feinstein on the NASA Commercial Cargo program.

She was worried that it wasn't generating enough paperwork to keep her staff busy.

She actually said this. Out loud and everything.

In a way, funniest thing since Bill Clinton attacked flattening the US tax system on the grounds that it would put 100Ks of lawyers out of business.
    £1m for ASB enforcement for each force?

They can all follow Cheshire Constabulary and add Antisocial Parking Enforcement to their Dashcam Portals. :smile:

https://www.cheshire.police.uk/police-forces/cheshire-constabulary/areas/cheshire/campaigns/op-park-safe

• Options

https://analysis.irelandthinks.ie/wellingborough-by-election/ Wellingborough poll by new polling company. Don't know how reliable, but says narrow Conservative win! Betting opportunity?

The article warns of its suspiciously large Brexit weighting so remember to save your bus fare home. What is interesting is the differential intention to vote, which is another factor supporting a January election exactly 49 weeks from today.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    edited February 15
    Leon said:

These line names are utterly dismal

I don’t give a fuck about windrush. Suffragettes is impossible to fucking say. Who the fuck is ‘mildmay’. ..

Chancellor of the Exchequer to Elizabeth I, and founder of Emmanuel College Cambridge ?

Or an HIV charity.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,237
    Leon said:

I don’t give a fuck about windrush. Suffragettes is impossible to fucking say. Who the fuck is ‘mildmay’. What the fuck is a ‘weaver’. Liberty is just fucking cringe. And fucking lionesses is fucking cringe times intergalactic fucketty-cringe

I'll put you down as a 'maybe'.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,587

My proposal for names of the overground lines.

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

It doesn't matter what you call them, they pass eventually into the language regardless of origin. The Northern line goes south, Piccadilly line is not Piccadilly's only line, Central line goes massively outwards west and east. Really the Circle line is the only one doing what it says on the tin. But Bakerloo is the best name by miles. And the Metropolitan line should be renames the Betjeman line, and Ruislip Gardens given a sub title.

Gaily into Ruislip Gardens
    Runs the red electric train,
    With a thousand Ta's and Pardon's
    Daintily alights Elaine;
    Hurries down the concrete station
    With a frown of concentration,
    Out into the outskirt's edges
    Where a few surviving hedges
    Keep alive our lost Elysium - rural Middlesex again.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
    algarkirk said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

It doesn't matter what you call them, they pass eventually into the language regardless of origin. The Northern line goes south, Piccadilly line is not Piccadilly's only line, Central line goes massively outwards west and east. Really the Circle line is the only one doing what it says on the tin. But Bakerloo is the best name by miles. And the Metropolitan line should be renames the Betjeman line, and Ruislip Gardens given a sub title.

Daintily alights Elaine;
    Even the Circle Line is not a circle anymore.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Eagles, Agincourt was in the same war, you silly fellow.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,413
    algarkirk said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Daintily alights Elaine;
    Is anyone really gonna say ‘I’m getting the suffragette line’?

When the next right wing mayor gets in I demand the ‘race realist’ line and the ‘terf terminal’ and the ‘enoch was right boulevard’
  • Options

But it's legend.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,069
    algarkirk said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Not any more. Hasn't been a circle for a long time.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,069

algarkirk said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Daintily alights Elaine;
    Sorry I see you beat me to it.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717
    algarkirk said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Daintily alights Elaine;
    The Circle line was so called because it was a circle. But it isn’t any more. It’s now a spiral. So, even that one doesn’t do what it says in the tin.

The Waterloo & City line, you can’t fault that name!
  • Options

Leon said:

I don’t give a fuck about windrush. Suffragettes is impossible to fucking say. Who the fuck is ‘mildmay’. What the fuck is a ‘weaver’. Liberty is just fucking cringe. And fucking lionesses is fucking cringe times intergalactic fucketty-cringe

Leon appears to think that the pleasantly alliterative Liberty Line is some kind of woke nonsense.

Whereas it's a reference to one of the old liberties:
    ..A liberty was an English unit originating in the Middle Ages, traditionally defined as an area in which regalian right was revoked and where the land was held by a mesne lord (i.e., an area in which rights reserved to the king had been devolved into private hands). It later became a unit of local government administration...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    HS2 in whatever wizened form it finally concludes should be renamed the Famine Line in memory of all the Irish navvies that ended up building the UK’s railway network, mainly due to the wise foresight of HMG in allowing them and their parents to starve.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Suffragette Line is a bit of a mouthful, TBH, but I’m glad they have changed the colours. Having just orange for six or seven different lines made no sense.

Next steps:

• create separate colours and names for all the different Northern lines
    • reduce Waterloo & City and Hammersmith & City to just one word (why do they alone have three words?)
    • remove the word line on the Liz line branding (why is this the only line that does this?)

Waterloo & City = The Drain
    Not much more I can say about the threader, except to reiterate my best wishes.

But on these LO names:

I lived in London for five years, and I've no idea what 'Mildmay' refers to.

Suffragette is a mouthful and difficult to spell.

Weaver: again, I've no idea what this is supposed to refer to.

Lioness: I assume this is footie. In which case, I assume it goes past Wembley? Or Arsenal perhaps? Tottenham? West Ham?

Liberty: an utterly meaningless name that could match anything, anywhere. If you want something better, perhaps something like ''Runnymede" would be better, if any line passed nearby.

All in all, a terrible selection of names that are anything but geographic. Like, sadly, the 'Elizabeth line'.

Not that my opinion matters. :)
    AIUI the Liberty line has some local relevance in Havering. I like the new names or am indifferent with the exception of the Lionesses line which I do have to say I find a bit cringe, no disrespect to the England women's football team intended.
    I'm still hoping for the Bakerloo line extension to Lewisham, at which point that line should be renamed Bakerlew.
    Wait until the economy picks up a bit and then auction them off starting at a £1bn each for 25 years. Coca Cola, Facebook, Google lines etc. About 20 named lines on the new map so if taken up could generate 10% of Tfls budget.

Needs must when we are skint, and can't come up with good names anyway.
    Yes, if you’re going to give out random names then auction them off. Loads of cities, including mine, do this, the big money is for the destination and interchange stations, or companies buying the station nearest their own business.

The London plan comes across as typical Sadiq being Sadiq, and looking for the sort of names that will offend people who don’t like him.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,515

Though some say it wasn't so much a war as a Telenovela that went on for far too many seasons.
  • Options

HS2 in whatever wizened form it finally concludes should be renamed the Famine Line in memory of all the Irish navvies that ended up building the UK’s railway network, mainly due to the wise foresight of HMG in allowing them and their parents to starve.

The Bread Line.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477
    Seems superfluous to add, but feels wrong to not do so... So, re the header, bugger. Very sorry to hear that. All the best to you and your family, OGH.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,271
    Incredibly sorry to hear this Mike. My thoughts are with you, Robert and the rest of your family.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,919
    @MikeSmithson , @rcs1000 and @TSE , can you start another thread please? I'm uneasy about contributing my usual political gubbins on a thread that should be devoted to expressions of love/support/sympathy for OGH in his time of trouble.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The Lionesses, womens soccer is where it's at. They even get more than a few thousand per game for the WSL.

• Options
    viewcode said:

@MikeSmithson , @rcs1000 and @TSE , can you start another thread please? I'm uneasy about contributing my usual political gubbins on a thread that should be devoted to expressions of love/support/sympathy for OGH in his time of trouble.

That is fair comment.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,803
    Taz said:

Panty line
    Body line
    Cheeky line

I'd guess Child Line wouldn't be fitting

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

I'd propose

The Hartnell Line
    The Cushing Line
    The Troughton Line
    The Pertwee Line
    The Baker Line
    The Davison Line
    The people who really need to understand the tube map quickly are tourists. Lines named after the leading international brands makes a lot more sense and we can get paid £££ for it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,385
    Taz said:

Panty line
    Body line
    Cheeky line

I'd guess Child Line wouldn't be fitting

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

I'd propose

The Hartnell Line
    The Cushing Line
    The Troughton Line
    The Pertwee Line
    The Baker Line
    The Davison Line
    It might be useful to remind politicians of some of the more egregious failures in public life, so how about naming the lines after political scandals.

The Horizon Line is an obvious place to start and I invite other suggestions.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,717

https://analysis.irelandthinks.ie/wellingborough-by-election/ Wellingborough poll by new polling company. Don't know how reliable, but says narrow Conservative win! Betting opportunity?

The article warns of its suspiciously large Brexit weighting so remember to save your bus fare home. What is interesting is the differential intention to vote, which is another factor supporting a January election exactly 49 weeks from today.
    They found too few Leavers in their polling, but suggest that may be people misremembering, saying they voted Remain when they actually voted Leave. So, if their Remain group actually includes some Leavers, that would maybe bias the poll results to be more pro Conservative than they should be?

It should be a safe Tory seat. That we all assumed Labour would win from the start just shows how f****d the Tories are in polling and recent by-elections.
  • Options

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Crécy?

The Black Prince etc - bone for the Wokists?

Also need a Cumberland line
    The Cumberland line would be the line from Glasgow to Carlisle for maximum LOLZ.
    The one deserving the name, and marking the reinvention of Cumberland just recently, is the line from Carlisle to Barrow, running at walking pace down miles of the unknown Cumberland coast, and for those with time to spare an interesting slow trip through what might be called Cyclefree country, including Millom, the place which is furthest from everywhere.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    Totally O/T
    This man knows his stuff on cars - his verdict - dont buy an electric car at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZysvgm2_Aw
  • Options
    Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

The Lionesses, womens soccer is where it's at. They even get more than a few thousand per game for the WSL.

How much are tickets?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    Sorry to hear your bad news Mike. Making the best of it is a sound plan.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169

Ashcroft latest poll about attitudes to the current Government compared with a prospective Labour one:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2024/02/the-28-billion-reversal-would-anything-change-under-labour-and-what-ofsted-rating-would-you-give-the-government-my-february-poll/

Much as expected - my summary would be "Tories are awful, Labour would be a bit better, things look unpromising either way". However, the original £28bn commitment AND the U-turn in the light of events both get a thumbs up from the electorate, suggesting an unusual degree of nuance - essentially that it's the right direction but fair to take account of the current financial situation.

All pre-Rochdalegate, though.

Still, fairly conclusive evidence @MoonRabbit called it absolutely right, and most of PB absolutely wrong.
    A stopped clock is right twice a day.

To be fair I also didn't get the sense it would go down badly as a broader package.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    Can’t say I’m particularly keen on any of the new railway line names personally.

Suffragette should maybe have been Suffrage instead, to celebrate the achievement, not the individuals? Rolls of the tongue better as well.

Mildmay doesn’t even go past the hospital - one of the other lines goes right past it!

Liberty is OK, bit weird but OK.

Windrush. Historical sure, but in modern times also one of the worst examples of the Home Office’s treatment of immigrants.

Weaver is sort of OK. But again, harking back to a history that no longer exists.

Lioness: why this particular women’s sporting team? In a decade’s time this is just going to look odd.

I guess it’s very hard to pick names that are sufficiently inoffensive that they won’t outrage someone, without also being completely meaningless. But this is a bit of a mish-mash that, to me, carries an undertone of a country that has lost confidence in itself: Constantly referencing past glories as some kind of self-soothing behaviour, as if it’s a toddler sucking on a dummy that it should have put away years ago.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Horrendous names.

Nothing to do with woke, just badly named.
  • Options

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

How much are tickets?
    I don't know but when we went to Durham Ladies last season it wasn't even a tenner. They are in the division below the Women's top league.
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear your sad and frightening news, Mike, and hoping for slow progression.

Thanks for all your efforts over the years to make PB a warm and welcoming community for politics nerds (with the occasional bet as well!)
  • Options
  • Options

Totally O/T
    This man knows his stuff on cars - his verdict - dont buy an electric car at the moment

Come on. He’s just chosen a Range Rover. Wildly expensive, gets nicked inside a week & if it hasn’t been stolen it’s probably in the garage having something expensive fixed. Again.

(I guess he’s leasing though, so most of those problems are the lease companies rather than his own perhaps?)
  • Options
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

How much are tickets?
    I don't know but when we went to Durham Ladies last season it wasn't even a tenner. They are in the division below the Women's top league.
    I did a quick scan and it seems the games at the main Arsenal ground are actually quite steep (25 quid) but much cheaper at what old county cricket fans would call the out ground (under a tenner). I'm all for women's sport and its great to see it taking off, but I think a sense of perspective is useful when comparing to men's (not that comparisons ought to be made, but they are).
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Sorry to hear Mike, my father still manages to enjoy life despite it continuing to advance. A tip for you if I may. Should you find yourself prone to wandering and going missing get air tags sew into your coat linings to help those who care to locate you again. My father went home once to where he was stationed in the navy thinking he had to report for duty. We had 24 hours of anxiety till he was found.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Very sad news for you Mike. My best wishes to you especially and also to your family.
  • Options
    Taz said:
    There have always been conspiracy theories, and those who would believe the most outrageous things. In the 1960's we had two of the finest - the Kennedy assassination* and the moon landings. Social media has I think just made it easier to find communities of like minded people (see also PB). Its also the case that celebrities (and I include Mariana Spring in this, as she has a media profile through her work with the BBC) both gain from being on social media and suffer. I think for the most part people can be a lot nastier online than they would in person (not unlike the angry drivers who gesticulate and swear at other drivers from their mobile 'bubble' but would not do so in the queue at Waitrose).

*We all know Kennedy shot himself, thanks to Red Dwarf
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,972
    Phil said:

Can’t say I’m particularly keen on any of the new railway line names personally.

Suffragette should maybe have been Suffrage instead, to celebrate the achievement, not the individuals? Rolls of the tongue better as well.

Mildmay doesn’t even go past the hospital - one of the other lines goes right past it!

Windrush. Historical sure, but in modern times also one of the worst examples of the Home Office’s treatment of immigrants.

Weaver is sort of OK. But again, harking back to a history that no longer exists.

Lioness: why this particular women’s sporting team? In a decade’s time this is just going to look odd.

I guess it’s very hard to pick names that are sufficiently inoffensive that they won’t outrage someone, without also being completely meaningless. But this is a bit of a mish-mash that, to me, carries an undertone of a country that has lost confidence in itself: Constantly referencing past glories as some kind of self-soothing behaviour, as if it’s a toddler sucking on a dummy that it should have put away years ago.

Sadiq will be praying harder than the Scots that the England men’s team don’t win the Euros and/or the next World Cup as he will have to build a new line to name after them. I know the men’s team has only won their World Cup and the lionesses won the much bigger Euros but he can’t ignore the achievement of the men if they achieve something of note.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    Just logged in to see this terrible news.

Hugely sorry to read this Mike. Hopefully it is a very slow progression and much can be done. Best wishes and good luck with it all.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,707
    Very sorry to hear this news. I hope yours is a slow and gentle slope.

A fitting testament would, of course, be the Smithson line. @sadiqkhan worth considering
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

How much are tickets?
    I did a quick scan and it seems the games at the main Arsenal ground are actually quite steep (25 quid) but much cheaper at what old county cricket fans would call the out ground (under a tenner). I'm all for women's sport and its great to see it taking off, but I think a sense of perspective is useful when comparing to men's (not that comparisons ought to be made, but they are).
    It had close to parity in terms of crowds when it was banned in 1921, a ban which lasted almost 50 years, then it had to grow again from scratch. If they had both been left to grow naturally side by side things would look very different. If we are going to have perspective it should be accurate and reflect not just where we are today but how it got there.
  • Options

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

How much are tickets?
    It had close to parity in terms of crowds when it was banned in 1921, a ban which lasted almost 50 years, then it had to grow again from scratch. If they had both been left to grow naturally side by side things would look very different. If we are going to have perspective it should be accurate and reflect not just where we are today but how it got there.
    It is one of the most shameful things in our collective history - banning womens football. An utter disgrace.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,057
    What is 'Mildmay' meant to represent? And why?
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    Very sorry to read this news.
    All sympathies with the Smithsons, and thank you once again for inventing this site and running it for so many years.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030
    edited February 15
    Very sorry to read your news, Mike. However there are things you can do, as my brother-in-law, diagnosed about two years ago, has found. I’m sure that in Bedford, as in the Lancashire town where he lives, there are all sorts of support groups where you can keep your mind active, as well, of course reading some at least of the posts here. The thing to do is to take it steadily, and under no circumstances, to give up.
    Help is there now, and more is coming from the labs!
    And it’s pretty obvious that everyone here wishes you well!
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Sorry to hear Mike, my father still manages to enjoy life despite it continuing to advance. A tip for you if I may. Should you find yourself prone to wandering and going missing get air tags sew into your coat linings to help those who care to locate you again. My father went home once to where he was stationed in the navy thinking he had to report for duty. We had 24 hours of anxiety till he was found.

Good advice.
    I wish they'd been around a decade or so back when my Dad found himself walking along the M62 hard shoulder. Or rather the police did.

You're right about enjoying life, too.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    edited February 15
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

How much are tickets?
    Leicester are in the WSL and £42 for a season ticker this season, about the same as a match ticket for the men's team in the same stadium.

I haven't quite made a game yet. I suspect they could do well with altering the season dates, like Rugby League did some years back to fill that May to August gap of club footy famine.
  • Options

They found too few Leavers in their polling, but suggest that may be people misremembering, saying they voted Remain when they actually voted Leave. So, if their Remain group actually includes some Leavers, that would maybe bias the poll results to be more pro Conservative than they should be?

It should be a safe Tory seat. That we all assumed Labour would win from the start just shows how f****d the Tories are in polling and recent by-elections.
    Hidden Leavers would be exacerbated by up-weighting the declared Leavers so yes. RefUK must be disappointed.
  • Options

It’s a London hospital that was apparently heavily involved in treating AIDS patients during the epidemic in the 80s. I’m fairly sure the well known footage of Diana meeting AIDS patients was filmed there.

It’s another piece of weird nostalgia it seems to me. Not for a better time, but for better moral choices somehow.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Good advice.
    I wish they'd been around a decade or so back when my Dad found himself walking along the M62 hard shoulder. Or rather the police did.

You're right about enjoying life, too.
    Nothing worse than the worry of a missing loved one
  • Options

The Mildmay of Flete, to remind us that four weeks from now we shall be halfway through the Cheltenham Festival, a week after the budget. Alternatively:-

The line is named after Mildmay Mission Hospital in Shoreditch, which specialises in HIV-related illnesses. In 1988, its predecessor on the site served as Europe’s first AIDS hospice, and it reopened as a specialist HIV hospital in 2014.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/what-s-the-reason-behind-new-london-overground-line-names-tube-map-changes-explained/ar-BB1ijQjX
  • Options

A comparison of the negative effects of her premiership compared to her three successors.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Phil said:

Sadiq will be praying harder than the Scots that the England men’s team don’t win the Euros and/or the next World Cup as he will have to build a new line to name after them. I know the men’s team has only won their World Cup and the lionesses won the much bigger Euros but he can’t ignore the achievement of the men if they achieve something of note.
    The Kneelers Line.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

How much are tickets?
    Leicester are in the WSL and £42 for a season ticker this season, about the same as a match ticket for the men's team in the same stadium.

I haven't quite made a game yet. I suspect they could do well with altering the season dates, like Rugby League did some years back to fill that May to August gap of club footy famine.
    What May to August gap? One of the things I hate the most about how football has gone is just how short the off season is now. The champions league final is on 1st June. I suspect the Football league will be back at the very start of August again. I am sure in my youth the season started at the end of August and the FA Cup was wrapped up at the start of May. Now we have the play-offs too, taking the league season up to the May BH.

But yes, it might make sense to try to change the season to some extent.
  • Options

Mildmay Mission Hospital is a small hospital which was associated with early cases of Aids. It is now a specialist institution for Aids Care.

It has quite the history - founded by an East End priest called William Pennefather in response to the 1866 cholera epidemic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Pennefather#Mildmay
  • Options

A comparison of the negative effects of her premiership compared to her three successors.
    or a Weather forecast for the spring?
  • Options

The Mildmay of Flete, to remind us that four weeks from now we shall be halfway through the Cheltenham Festival, a week after the budget. Alternatively:-

The line is named after Mildmay Mission Hospital in Shoreditch, which specialises in HIV-related illnesses. In 1988, its predecessor on the site served as Europe’s first AIDS hospice, and it reopened as a specialist HIV hospital in 2014.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/what-s-the-reason-behind-new-london-overground-line-names-tube-map-changes-explained/ar-BB1ijQjX
    That'll really attract the tourists, won't it? "Travel on the AIDS line!"
  • Options
    Phil said:

It’s a London hospital that was apparently heavily involved in treating AIDS patients during the epidemic in the 80s. I’m fairly sure the well known footage of Diana meeting AIDS patients was filmed there.

It’s another piece of weird nostalgia it seems to me. Not for a better time, but for better moral choices somehow.
    It’s kind of obvious that someone said, we need to name the lines for gays, women, and ethnic minorities —- and, er, Havering — and then backed into these names.

I don’t mind them (except the wilfully ahistorical Suffragette) but let’s not fool ourselves on the thinking here.
  • Options
    aaa

Taz said:
    There have always been conspiracy theories, and those who would believe the most outrageous things. In the 1960's we had two of the finest - the Kennedy assassination* and the moon landings. Social media has I think just made it easier to find communities of like minded people (see also PB). Its also the case that celebrities (and I include Mariana Spring in this, as she has a media profile through her work with the BBC) both gain from being on social media and suffer. I think for the most part people can be a lot nastier online than they would in person (not unlike the angry drivers who gesticulate and swear at other drivers from their mobile 'bubble' but would not do so in the queue at Waitrose).

*We all know Kennedy shot himself, thanks to Red Dwarf
    The Kennedy one stands apart slightly. I have no views on it, but to this day it stretches credulity in one special respect: the quick killing of LHO. It is not easy to believe that this happened without assistance and without someone making is possible to perform, and therefore without someone having very good reason to ensure he could not speak.

Obvs issues of security are viewed differently now, but even then objectively it would 100% essential to keep him alive in order to maximise the information that could be gathered.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

Totally O/T

I looked at buying electric for the business, as I do a lot of short hops in and around Birmingham and generate a lot of my own power.

The power costs stack up. Insurance was bearable.

Depreciation came to around 30-35p per mile against 8-10p per mile on a diesel.

And the allowance for an electric car on HMRC is 20p per mile.

That didn't work.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016

Phil said:

It’s kind of obvious that someone said, we need to name the lines for gays, women, and ethnic minorities —- and, er, Havering — and then backed into these names.

I don’t mind them (except the wilfully ahistorical Suffragette) but let’s not fool ourselves on the thinking here.
    Particularly as the Suffragette Line already has a name - Goblin - which they could have kept
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Is the Suffragettes the oldest historical reference of the new lines?
  • Options

Phil said:

Particularly as the Suffragette Line already has a name - Goblin - which they could have kept
    I think Khan was just being orc-ward.
  • Options

Is the Suffragettes the oldest historical reference of the new lines?

Liberty, surely?
  • Options
    edited February 15
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

How much are tickets?

I remember the 13 man Rugby code had a few people resisting it. Has it worked for them ?

There was this deal with IMG a couple of years back which seemed to be controversial as well.

I am a Union person so know little about League, but have no antipathy towards it.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Okay, so nothing to do with the weather.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited February 15

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

The only problem with using the names of our glorious victories against the French on the Overground is the obvious temptation to build several dozen more lines to use them all. There were a couple of dozen in the Peninsula War and several more in the War of Spanish Succession that you've left off for some reason.

In fact, if we really wanted to use all our victories, we'd have to demolish most of London to accomodate the tracks and we'd end up with a city that was virtually all railway.
  • Options
    So sorry to hear this news. To @MikeSmithson, @rcs1000 and their family - all my hopes.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    So sorry to hear this @MikeSmithson. Best wishes for you and your family.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

That'll really attract the tourists, won't it? "Travel on the AIDS line!"
    There's a reason these guys aren't in business any more - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxJDobrrOYA
  • Options
    edited February 15
    Fishing said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

The only problem with using the names of our glorious victories against the French on the Overground is the obvious temptation to build several dozen more lines to use them all. There were a couple of dozen in the Peninsula War and several more in the War of Spanish Succession that you've left off for some reason.

In fact, if we really wanted to use all our victories, we'd have to demolish most of London to accomodate the tracks and we'd end up with a city that was virtually all railway.
    You realise that @Sunil_Prasannan will now explode with joy at the idea?

Edit: we need a Hicks line
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    Golly, strong stuff from the Unionist inclined P&J. The National will be jellus.

• Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 647

or a Weather forecast for the spring?
    Or a prediction for the local elections?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    Oh my God, Mike, I'm so sorry to hear this. That's awful.

Sending you all my sympathies and best wishes. If there's anything I can do, at anytime, please don't hesitate to let me know.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Daintily alights Elaine;
    Is anyone really gonna say ‘I’m getting the suffragette line’?

When the next right wing mayor gets in I demand the ‘race realist’ line and the ‘terf terminal’ and the ‘enoch was right boulevard’
    People will say "Suffragette line", I'm sure, as it passes into habit. And one of the notable things about the enoch-was-right brigade is that they don't want people to think they are the enoch-was-right brigade, so they say those things under their breath rather than proclaim them on maps.

However, you are 100% right about "Lionesses". That really is too specific and contemporary.
  • Options

Phil said:

The Liberty Line annoys me because it sounds like it is sponsored by the posh London shop, and did we really need to rename the East London line?
  • Options
    • The Rachel Line
    • The Monica Line
    • The Phoebe Line
    • The Joey Line
    • The Chandler Line
    • The Ross Line
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Phil said:

I think Khan was just being orc-ward.
    Blame it on elf and safety.
  • Options
    The United Kingdom after America's retreat into isolation, according to Zeihan

"The United Kingdom, After America || Peter Zeihan", Zeihan on Geopolitics, YouTube, 15 Feb 2024, 6 minutes, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmBAhTDRXY
  • Options
    Phil said:

Hard to name things after future glories.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

• The Rachel Line
    • The Monica Line
    • The Phoebe Line
    • The Joey Line
    • The Chandler Line
    • The Ross Line
    Bing Line?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

• The Rachel Line
    • The Monica Line
    • The Phoebe Line
    • The Joey Line
    • The Chandler Line
    • The Ross Line
    At Acorn, out last computer - never released - was based on Friends. Every chip was named after a friends character - ISTR 'Chandler' was the IOMD chip; whilst the actual project was Phoebe internally and the OS Ursula.

For me, that's what the TV show Friends means...
  • Options
    Leon said:

...Who the fuck is ‘mildmay’...

I grew up reading old copies of Time Out and City Limits and Loot, and I got the Mildmay reference immediately (it was an old Aids treatment building/hospice). I will never cease to be amazed by PBers' inability to comprehend the space and times in which they live. You'll be asking about the Terrence Higgins Trust next.

• Options

viewcode said:

• The Rachel Line
    • The Monica Line
    • The Phoebe Line
    • The Joey Line
    • The Chandler Line
    • The Ross Line
    Bing Line?
    Could that be a better suggestion?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

I grew up reading old copies of Time Out and City Limits and Loot, and I got the Mildmay reference immediately (it was an old Aids treatment building/hospice). I will never cease to be amazed by PBers' inability to comprehend the space and times in which they live. You'll be asking about the Terrence Higgins Trust next.

Did Alex's son go on to play snooker too?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

"The United Kingdom, After America || Peter Zeihan", Zeihan on Geopolitics, YouTube, 15 Feb 2024, 6 minutes, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjmBAhTDRXY

Zeihan has been claiming that the UK has no choice but to accept near-total economic and security vassalage to the US for some time now. Not really buying it.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    Mike

sorry to hear the news.

Keep fighting the good fight and remember you always have friends around you in PB.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Thing is everyone has there sphere of knowledge and experience. I'm a scientist, work at a Top 10 UK university (non- Russell Group), love sport, history, science but very limited knowledge of music. Very often someone on PB will post up that XXX has died and its a tragic lost, and I have no idea who they are. Almost always its a really fairly famous musician.

I don't think Mildmay is that well known. I can see it being a pointless answer on pointless, for instance. But maybe that's just my hinterland being exposed.
  • Options

Phil said:

Hard to name things after future glories.
    Wolf 359 Line.

I would cite the Tatooine line...but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far far away. :)
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Waterloo
    Agincourt
    Trafalgar
    Mers El Kébir
    Redcoat
    Longshanks

Daintily alights Elaine;
    Sorry I see you beat me to it.
    I think the Magna Carta line would work to Egham / Runnymede.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760

viewcode said:

Zeihan has been claiming that the UK has no choice but to accept near-total economic and security vassalage to the US for some time now. Not really buying it.

Zeihan has some interesting views which make you think. Im not convinced on some of his wilder theories and he always seems to think the US is invincible. However his views on the shifting tectonic plates of global power are worth a read though he appears impervious to anything of value in Africa which will be this century;s demographic shift.
  • Options
    Dreadful news, Mike.

Will be in touch. x
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    Mike, I am saddened by your news, but I thank you for sharing it with us.

Maybe someday we can do something to help.
This discussion has been closed.