Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A 50% return in fewer than three months? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714

Personally I can"t be arsed to watch 2 hours of an interview with anyone. I watched a highlights video. I might have a longer version on in the background at some point. I don't think we can really see watching the whole thing all the wsy through as tbe yardstick of success for the initiative. But maybe I'm wrong.

And of course, a 'view', even a real one by a real person for the whole video doesn't mean anything.

There is a flat earther [1] called Nathan Oakley (shouldn't give him publicity really even mentioning him), who posts a daily video on YouTube. It gets less than 1,000 'views'.

Most of those views are bots, and the genuine ones, at least half of them are from scientists who then take pieces from his video to debunk them.

A YouTube view is meaningless. It tells you nothing about whether there is a person watching the video or not, and it tells you nothing about whether the person (if there are any) watching is for or against the video.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,790
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The New York Times is absolutely pounding Biden on the age issue. I do sense there is a move, in elite Democrat circles, to kick him upstairs, or downstairs, or just anystairs. They are now very worried

On the front page of the website there are four or five articles saying Fuckyeah this is bad, get rid of the old duffer, and just one short terse column trying to defend him (not very well)

Perhaps betting positions must be adjusted accordingly. The NYT is powerfully influential for Democrats

Biden is like Rishi. Everyone agrees he should stand down but no-one agrees on replacing him.
    Perhaps

But this is the NYT turning on Biden. That's like the Telegraph, Times, Sun and Spectator turning on Rishi Sunak, all at once
    It's not the NYT 'turning' at all.
    It's entirely consistent with their longstanding editorial stance.

The idea that the NYT is the Democrats house publication like the Telegraph is for the Tories is deluded.
    I know people that work on the NYT. It is absolutely the Democrats' Journal of Record, and is the most influential legacy media voice in Democrat circles

Tho it is perhaps more like the Guardian vis a vis Labour (only more powerful), than the Telegraph vis a vis Tories
    Who you know, and their motivations, are irrelevant.
    I'm talking about what they publish.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

The New York Times is absolutely pounding Biden on the age issue. I do sense there is a move, in elite Democrat circles, to kick him upstairs, or downstairs, or just anystairs. They are now very worried

On the front page of the website there are four or five articles saying Fuckyeah this is bad, get rid of the old duffer, and just one short terse column trying to defend him (not very well)

Perhaps betting positions must be adjusted accordingly. The NYT is powerfully influential for Democrats

Biden is like Rishi. Everyone agrees he should stand down but no-one agrees on replacing him.
    Perhaps

But this is the NYT turning on Biden. That's like the Telegraph, Times, Sun and Spectator turning on Rishi Sunak, all at once

The idea that the NYT is the Democrats house publication like the Telegraph is for the Tories is deluded.
    Yup, it's the exact same setup as their Hillary emails coverage. Were they gunning for Hillary Clinton back then? Well, I'm sure they don't particularly mind if Trump wins because he's great for their business but no, that's not what was happening.
    I mean, this is just completely mad

Of course the NYT care if Trump gets elected. They really really really don't want him elected. I get that they are running a business and Trump is good box office, but they are also sincere about their Democrat, left of centre beliefs, and they are probably in actual fear of what Trump might do to them, if elected

You are the delusional one here, sorry. The NYT loathes and fears Donald Trump
    And yet it consistently enables him.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,445

Personally I can"t be arsed to watch 2 hours of an interview with anyone. I watched a highlights video. I might have a longer version on in the background at some point. I don't think we can really see watching the whole thing all the wsy through as tbe yardstick of success for the initiative. But maybe I'm wrong.

And of course, a 'view', even a real one by a real person for the whole video doesn't mean anything.

There is a flat earther [1] called Nathan Oakley (shouldn't give him publicity really even mentioning him), who posts a daily video on YouTube. It gets less than 1,000 'views'.

Most of those views are bots, and the genuine ones, at least half of them are from scientists who then take pieces from his video to debunk them.

A YouTube view is meaningless. It tells you nothing about whether there is a person watching the video or not, and it tells you nothing about whether the person (if there are any) watching is for or against the video.
    Not true

A view means someone has 1. absorbed some of Putin's take on history and politics, and 2. added to Carlson's self-curated persona as maybe the most watched TV interviewer on the planet

All that is true even if you come way from the video thinking Putin is a nasty criminal and Carlson a narcissistic nincompoop (both arguable positions)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Perhaps

Yup, it's the exact same setup as their Hillary emails coverage. Were they gunning for Hillary Clinton back then? Well, I'm sure they don't particularly mind if Trump wins because he's great for their business but no, that's not what was happening.

Of course the NYT care if Trump gets elected. They really really really don't want him elected. I get that they are running a business and Trump is good box office, but they are also sincere about their Democrat, left of centre beliefs, and they are probably in actual fear of what Trump might do to them, if elected

Sorry, this is so nuts I need to get this straight

Are you and @edmundintokyo honestly arguing that the NYT doesn't give a fuck if Trump is elected, that they are kinda neutral on that, as he has his downsides but he's good for business?

That is your position?
  • Options
    kamski said:

Probably Carlson is happy with the extra publicity. He might not care that lots of it is bad publicity, but it hasn't done his claim to be a journalist much good.

But has the interview persuaded anyone that Putin is the good guy here? I doubt it. In that sense it fell flat.

And in real life I haven't seen any interest whatsoever, have you?

Even on here there is only a meta-argument about how big a deal the interview was, rather than any discussion of the interview itself.

The reality, of course, is that most of these things change minds very rarely.

MAGA isn't going to do anything other than continue to think Trump-Putin are the best thing since sliced bread.
    Democrats will continue to oppose Trump-Putin.

Maybe, just maybe, a few non-MAGA Republicans will think, "That Putin fellow is a bit unhinged. He spent thirty minutes talking about something called the Kievan Rus and Novgorod." It might sway them a little against.

I mean, excepting Europa Universalis fanatics, who here has heard of Kievan Rus and Novgorod?

• Options
    That interview. The relevant context is that the Trump neo-fascists are pro Russia and anti-NATO. 2 hours of fawning as a preface for Trump asking Putin to do what he likes to Europe.

But obviously, they have to vote for the guy with dementia because the other guy has dementia.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 5,917
    XL Bully owners in open rebellion on my local Facebook page. People posting photos of puppies, arranging meet-ups in parks, taking off muzzles, "our babies". There also seems to be a trend of people owning four or five.

I don't think this is over.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

XL Bully owners in open rebellion on my local Facebook page. People posting photos of puppies, arranging meet-ups in parks, taking off muzzles, "our babies". There also seems to be a trend of people owning four or five.

It will end with the government forcibly euthanising them
  • Options

Good Morning everybody.

To be fair it’s becoming rapidly more difficult to be sympathetic with Israel. They seem to have done, or at least achieved, nothing whatsoever towards their stated aim of ‘getting the hostages back’ while at the same time slaughtering Palestinians.
    I have no problem whatsoever with the idea of a safe home for the Jewish people, and can well understand why they want it in Palestine. However the Palestinians were there legally and historically and indeed I suspect that many of them have at least as good a ‘historical’ and ‘genetic’ right to be there as many of the more recent ‘Jewish’ immigrants.

Yesterday's story of the six year old girl left dying in a burning car which the BBC ran all through the day really cut through to me.

Israel is largely engaged in mass murder now.......
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Perhaps

Are you and @edmundintokyo honestly arguing that the NYT doesn't give a fuck if Trump is elected, that they are kinda neutral on that, as he has his downsides but he's good for business?

That is your position?
    It's been a truism for years.

Why do you think the Twitter parody NYTpitchbot exists ?

Hard to speculate on their motivation, but if I had to, I'd say it's a warped sense of 'balance'.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/bootle-boy-8-serious-head-injuries-xl-bully-attack/
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited February 11
    I've just seen a clip of Gavin Newsom being interviewed about the election campaign. I didn't really know who he was until this morning - other than being a Democrat whose odds are pretty short to be the Democratic POTUS nominee. I now know he is Governor of California, articulate, likeable and photogenic. He is 9-9.6 on Betfair for the nomination and 14.5-15 for the Presidency.

The NYT article suggests Biden should step aside at the DNC convention and not endorse any particular individual to replace him. The betting suggests Newsom is best placed if that happens. There is no evidence Michelle Obama wants the gig and she doesn't hold any political office. Harris appears to be not popular enough. I like Whitmer but I don't think she is popular enough either?

So why not Newsom? Anyone know how he matches up against Trump in the polls?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Perhaps

That is your position?

Hard to speculate on their motivation, but if I had to, I'd say it's a warped sense of 'balance'.
    So today I learned you're an idiot, with a dash of flat earth conspiracist, likewise @edmundintokyo

Good to know
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Leon said:

Carlson/Putin: Boris is still trending on TwiX with the revelation that it was Boris who prevented a peaceful end to the Russia/Ukraine kerfuffle. Here is one such post (with 45-second video clip boosting Carlson's viewing figures):

Vladimir Putin claims he was ready to end war 18 months ago but Boris Johnson scuppered deal by telling Ukraine leaders it was 'better to fight Russia'
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1756508944728826361

But the claim is rubbish, as has been shown before.

It's a bit of a litmus test, really: the people who believe this are the people who are so down the BDS hole that they believe Putin over Boris.

A somewhat different view:
    https://www.thebureau.news/p/no-the-west-did-not-sabotage-an-early
    Yes it’s surely rubbish. I can believe Boris was out there giving them some oomph, it’s what he does, but beyond that…

I read an interesting take the other day. The pro-Putin western hard right are weirdly like the pro-hamas far left - ‘queers for Palestine’ makes as much sense as American nationalists for Putin. Putin clearly detests and fears America, he wouldn’t make exceptions for American nutters in bullhorn helmets
    It's also a case of the horsehoe effect at work. Trump, Carlson, Lauren Boebert, Scott Ritter, RFK, Noam Chomsky are all on the same side.

“The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.”
  • Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

The owners, or the dogs?
    (Or both?)
  • Options

That interview. The relevant context is that the Trump neo-fascists are pro Russia and anti-NATO. 2 hours of fawning as a preface for Trump asking Putin to do what he likes to Europe.

But obviously, they have to vote for the guy with dementia because the other guy has dementia.

Trump also suggested it would be a good thing if Putin attacked NATO countries which weren't spending enough on defence.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,964
    edited February 11
    stjohn said:

I've just seen a clip of Gavin Newsom being interviewed about the election campaign. I didn't really know who he was until this morning - other than being a Democrat whose odds are pretty short to be the Democratic POTUS nominee. I now know he is Governor of California, articulate, likeable and photogenic. He is 9-9.6 on Betfair for the nomination and 14.5-15 for the Presidency.

The NYT article suggests Biden should step aside at the DNC convention and not endorse any particular individual to replace him. The betting suggests Newsom is best placed if that happens. There is no evidence Michelle Obama wants the gig and she doesn't hold any political office. Harris appears to be not popular enough. I like Whitmer but I don't think she is popular enough either?

He’d be a gift to Trump in the swing states . Whitmer is the candidate that would have the best chance . Being from a swing state and she’s tough and likeable .
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

"Satan here, wouldn't harm a fly."
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,298
    Nigelb said:

There's a new study out in the likelihood if the collapse of the AMOC.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/09/atlantic-ocean-circulation-nearing-devastating-tipping-point-study-finds
    ..Until now there has been no consensus about how severe this will be. One study last year, based on changes in sea surface temperatures, suggested the tipping point could happen between 2025 and 2095. However, the UK Met Office said large, rapid changes in Amoc were “very unlikely” in the 21st century.

The new paper, published in Science Advances, has broken new ground by looking for warning signs in the salinity levels at the southern extent of the Atlantic Ocean between Cape Town and Buenos Aires. Simulating changes over a period of 2,000 years on computer models of the global climate, it found a slow decline can lead to a sudden collapse over less than 100 years, with calamitous consequences.

The paper said the results provided a “clear answer” about whether such an abrupt shift was possible: “This is bad news for the climate system and humanity as up till now one could think that Amoc tipping was only a theoretical concept and tipping would disappear as soon as the full climate system, with all its additional feedbacks, was considered.”..

Whether we'll live to see this is a matter if doubt; it's not unlikely our children or grandchildren will.

There was a Horizon programme between 25 and 30 years ago which predicted, with the reduction in salinity through the melting of the fresh water Arctic and Antarctic ice caps the escalator would stop and the gulf stream die. It suggested we would have a climate similar to Sweden and Finland. IIRC it also proposed that as a result we would migrate South. Although of course with Brexit that can no longer happen. So enjoy the snow!
  • Options

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

The owners, or the dogs?
    (Or both?)
    both would be fine by me

A good piece by Dom Cummings' wife about how she changed her mind about XL Bullies. She was pro Bully and anti-ban, until her young and only child met one on the Tube. Unmuzzled

You really do have to see these monsters in the flesh to see how dangerous they are

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/xl-bullies-deserve-to-be-banned/

I also didn't realise the stupid owner of those dogs in Jaywick has now said THIS:

"Oddly, in all the arguments for and against XL Bullys over the past week, the person I’ve found most sensible is Ashley Warren, owner of the killer dogs. ‘I did not know Bullys were aggressive, I didn’t believe all this stuff,’ he said. ‘But now I’ve learned the hard way. I honestly thought the ban was a stupid government plan to wipe out a breed which I had never seen anything but softness and love from. Now I think they need to be wiped out.’"

Get on with it
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

The advice in the Mail was absurd - "sacrifice a leg in order to protect your head and neck"
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,883
    edited February 11
    Morning all :)

Vaguely on topic, Khan is of course taking nothing for granted and will campaign hard. Hall will rely on traditional Conservative strength in the Outer Boroughs and possibilities of abstentions and Labour splits over Gaza in Inner London to get her over the line.

This isn't 2021 but Uxbridge showed there's life in the Conservatives in the Outer Suburbs even if the locals in 2022 had been a distinctly mixed bag for the Party. Whether, if we are to believe @MoonRabbit and the London Mayoral Election will, for the first time, be on the same day as a GE, I'm not sure but that's more likely to drive higher turnout which will hurt Hall.

In Newham, Labour have lost two by-elections in recent times and the strength of pro-Palestinian feeling in some parts of the Borough is unmistakeable with Palestine flags on lamp posts. Whether the self styled Newham Independents will run a GE candidate in East Ham I don't know but a London Mayoral candidate advocating a similar line could draw significant support from Khan.

Taking November 2023 polls as gospel is ridiculous and back in 2021 the polls were very poor. Both YouGov and Savanta, who did fieldwork on the three days before polling, reported 12-point leads for Khan and in the end Khan won the first round by less than five. I'm not certain what happened - the Conservatives actually won one Ward in Newham in the Mayoral race and in the East Ham Central by election, the Conservative candidate polled 30% which was remarkable. Did Labour voters just abstain or did the pollsters just not see a groundswell of Conservative support in the last days of the contest?

That was then and this is now, as a wise man once opined. London Labour has a lot of problems but London Conservatives are also in a bad place compared to 2021. The race remains Khan's to lose.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Jesus. Enough. Just kill them all
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Perhaps

That is your position?

So today I learned you're an idiot, with a dash of flat earth conspiracist, likewise @edmundintokyo

Good to know
    What conspiracy ?
    It's just that they are not very good at journalism.
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Eabhal said:

I'd put Staffordshire Bull Terriers on the list. The West Midland drug dealer's weapon of choice.

That would resolve the issue of " is it really an XL Bully?"
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,503
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

"Trump says he would 'encourage' Russia to attack Nato allies who do not pay their bills"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-68266447

The NYT still has "Why age issue is hurting Biden" as a headline above this.
    Yes, they are definitely gunning for Biden. Actual senior columnists saying Biden has to go

There is just one terse column from Paul Krugman trying to defend him, but it is feeble and doesn't persuade, and has been hidden away
    There’s still very little the Democratic establishment can do at this point. The one who decides is Biden (absent a 25th amendment scenario that seems fanciful unless he really loses it). At this stage, it seems he is determined to run.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

"Life-changing" :(
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Trump also suggested it would be a good thing if Putin attacked NATO countries which weren't spending enough on defence.
    As Politico notes, it also confirms what de Leyen reported he told her four years ago.

Trump vowed he’d ‘never’ help Europe if it’s attacked, top EU official says
    ‘By the way NATO is dead,’ the former (and potential future) US president added in private meeting.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/donald-trump-vow-never-help-europe-attack-thierry-breton/
    .."You need to understand that if Europe is under attack we will never come to help you and to support you," Trump told European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen in 2020, according to French European Commissioner Thierry Breton, who was also present at a meeting at the World Economic Forum in Davos.
    "By the way, NATO is dead, and we will leave, we will quit NATO," Trump also said, according to Breton. "And he added, ‘and by the way, you owe me $400 billion, because you didn’t pay, you Germans, what you had to pay for defense,'" Breton said about the tense meeting, where the EU's then-trade chief Phil Hogan was also present...

"You owe me."
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Where is @rcs1000? is he hiding away in furtive shame?

The Tucker Putin interview has had 187 MILLION impressions on Twitter, just on Carlson's channel

https://x.com/TuckerCarlson/status/1755734526678925682?s=20

And another 12m on Carlson's YoutTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOCWBhuDdDo

Another 10m on Russian YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIbL_MXK8Tg

And elswhere, endlessly - 3m on Telegraph YouTube, on and on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rKigbrcGNg

If you add together all the other tens of millions of snippets that are being shared, around the world, it will surely be the most watched - and probably most-discussed - political interview of all time

Lol.

Nobody has watched more than 15 minutes of it.

It was a disaster. Even you didn't sit through it.
    I absolutely did. It’s fascinating - after the first hour of tedium. But very very few will do that. It’s more than 2 hours long

The stats are in, however, for those seeing SOME of it. Even on YouTube it’s in the top 5 political interviews ever, cumulatively, indeed arguably its number 2 after Narendra Modi talking to some actor

And that’s not the main platform. X is

Laughable.
    Ok let’s just add up YouTube

Carlson’s Youtube

https://youtu.be/fOCWBhuDdDo?si=CLqzV057bBTF1Hi0

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

https://youtu.be/TpeSVOwys6M?si=GsBl1aP5xUiRmj-s

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBh0KycV92Y&pp=ygUNY2FybHNvbiBwdXRpbg==

1m

Live reaction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJr7sxEWpbc&pp=ygUNY2FybHNvbiBwdXRpbg==

2.9m

Fox now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4boi-mCDUCQ&pp=ygUNY2FybHNvbiBwdXRpbg==

1m

Times radio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd9qktZnVJQ&pp=ygUNY2FybHNvbiBwdXRpbg==

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0vQ5wZfQQw&pp=ygUNY2FybHNvbiBwdXRpbg==

Nearly 1m

If you can find another POLITICAL interview that has that virality, knock yourself out and (seriously) well done, I can’t. And I’ve searched

And this is just YouTube: the main platform is X

I mean. You could argue that ‘well they have to watch all 2 hours 14 minutes of it before it has any impact’ but then that would be silly. And you’re not a silly man
    But what is a 'view'?

Is it an individual watching the whole interview from start to finish?
    Or is it a Russian bot adding a value onto the counter to claim a view?

Or is it both?

There are probably only ten people in the whole world who have seen that interview from start to finish. Two of those are Tucker Carlson and Vladimir Putin. The other seven is the camera crew forced to film that pile of shite, and the final person is the CIA operative who drew short straw and had to write a report on the whole thing.
    On the platform formerly known as Twitter, a "view" simply means it has appeared on a user's timeline or in search results or other places. It does not mean that the user has watched a single second of it. Also, it counts each time a tweet is shown to a user, so if a user sees the tweet five times without watching any of it, that is five views. There is no way of knowing how many people have actually watched any of the interview on Twitter.

I count as at least one "view" of this interview on Twitter. It could be said that I've watched the first 10 seconds of it since Twitter starts playing videos automatically, but I didn't turn the sound on so I have no idea what Carlson was saying.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

"Trump says he would 'encourage' Russia to attack Nato allies who do not pay their bills"

Yes, they are definitely gunning for Biden. Actual senior columnists saying Biden has to go

There is just one terse column from Paul Krugman trying to defend him, but it is feeble and doesn't persuade, and has been hidden away
    There’s still very little the Democratic establishment can do at this point. The one who decides is Biden (absent a 25th amendment scenario that seems fanciful unless he really loses it). At this stage, it seems he is determined to run.
    Yes, I'm not sure the NYT campaign will work, but it seems to me the editors have decided to try and boot him off, if they can, because he is so likely to lose to Trump

And, despite the opinions of @Nigelb and @edmundintokyo I believe the NYT is absolutely sincere in its dread and hatred of Trump, and want him defeated more than anything
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

There's a new study out in the likelihood if the collapse of the AMOC.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/feb/09/atlantic-ocean-circulation-nearing-devastating-tipping-point-study-finds
    ..Until now there has been no consensus about how severe this will be. One study last year, based on changes in sea surface temperatures, suggested the tipping point could happen between 2025 and 2095. However, the UK Met Office said large, rapid changes in Amoc were “very unlikely” in the 21st century.

The new paper, published in Science Advances, has broken new ground by looking for warning signs in the salinity levels at the southern extent of the Atlantic Ocean between Cape Town and Buenos Aires. Simulating changes over a period of 2,000 years on computer models of the global climate, it found a slow decline can lead to a sudden collapse over less than 100 years, with calamitous consequences.

The paper said the results provided a “clear answer” about whether such an abrupt shift was possible: “This is bad news for the climate system and humanity as up till now one could think that Amoc tipping was only a theoretical concept and tipping would disappear as soon as the full climate system, with all its additional feedbacks, was considered.”..

Whether we'll live to see this is a matter if doubt; it's not unlikely our children or grandchildren will.

Over on Netweather there are much more informed discussions about the impact of climate change.

I make the same level of amateurish contribution there I do here - I was musing on the absence of fog this winter while most were annoyed at the lack of snow. There's plenty of evidence a warmer atmosphere generates more energy, more movement and greater instability.

Some have discussed the expansion of the Hadley Cell and others the rising Sea Surface Temperatures and what impact these might have.

My personal view is the European climate will move toward something more akin to the Indian Sub-Continent today with significant monsoon type rainfgall episodes offset by stronger heatwaves and drought conditions. Those seeking solace from the heat of the cities will head to places like the Swedish and Finnish Lakes, our Lake District and northern Scotland. In 100 years, the Northern Scottish coast will be the place to go on holiday - if anyone had any sense they'd be developing transport links to the far north and the northern and western isles. There are beaches on Harris and Lewis which are spectacular now but currently hardly visited.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,289
    Labour standing by the anti semitic conspiracy theorist candidate.

For now.

https://x.com/bethrigby/status/1756608979654811854?s=61
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, I'm not sure the NYT campaign will work, but it seems to me the editors have decided to try and boot him off, if they can, because he is so likely to lose to Trump

And, despite the opinions of @Nigelb and @edmundintokyo I believe the NYT is absolutely sincere in its dread and hatred of Trump, and want him defeated more than anything
    When did I say they aren't ?

Their beliefs are irrelevant. The headlines they publish are what matters.
  • Options

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

The Tucker Putin interview has had 187 MILLION impressions on Twitter, just on Carlson's channel

If you add together all the other tens of millions of snippets that are being shared, around the world, it will surely be the most watched - and probably most-discussed - political interview of all time

Lol.

I absolutely did. It’s fascinating - after the first hour of tedium. But very very few will do that. It’s more than 2 hours long

The stats are in, however, for those seeing SOME of it. Even on YouTube it’s in the top 5 political interviews ever, cumulatively, indeed arguably its number 2 after Narendra Modi talking to some actor

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

If you can find another POLITICAL interview that has that virality, knock yourself out and (seriously) well done, I can’t. And I’ve searched

I mean. You could argue that ‘well they have to watch all 2 hours 14 minutes of it before it has any impact’ but then that would be silly. And you’re not a silly man
    But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

There are probably only ten people in the whole world who have seen that interview from start to finish. Two of those are Tucker Carlson and Vladimir Putin. The other seven is the camera crew forced to film that pile of shite, and the final person is the CIA operative who drew short straw and had to write a report on the whole thing.
    On the platform formerly known as Twitter, a "view" simply means it has appeared on a user's timeline or in search results or other places. It does not mean that the user has watched a single second of it. Also, it counts each time a tweet is shown to a user, so if a user sees the tweet five times without watching any of it, that is five views. There is no way of knowing how many people have actually watched any of the interview on Twitter.

I count as at least one "view" of this interview on Twitter. It could be said that I've watched the first 10 seconds of it since Twitter starts playing videos automatically, but I didn't turn the sound on so I have no idea what Carlson was saying.
    However we do know what equals a view on Youtube - it is at least 30 seconds of engagement with the actual video

Tucker Putin has racked up at least thirty million views on YouTube, cumulatively

There may well be a reason why the engagement would be a lot less than that on TwiX but it seems clear Carlson has got many tens of million of people (possibly over a hundred millon) to see at least SOME of his interview with Putler
  • Options
    stodge said:

Vaguely on topic, Khan is of course taking nothing for granted and will campaign hard. Hall will rely on traditional Conservative strength in the Outer Boroughs and possibilities of abstentions and Labour splits over Gaza in Inner London to get her over the line.

This isn't 2021 but Uxbridge showed there's life in the Conservatives in the Outer Suburbs even if the locals in 2022 had been a distinctly mixed bag for the Party. Whether, if we are to believe @MoonRabbit and the London Mayoral Election will, for the first time, be on the same day as a GE, I'm not sure but that's more likely to drive higher turnout which will hurt Hall.

In Newham, Labour have lost two by-elections in recent times and the strength of pro-Palestinian feeling in some parts of the Borough is unmistakeable with Palestine flags on lamp posts. Whether the self styled Newham Independents will run a GE candidate in East Ham I don't know but a London Mayoral candidate advocating a similar line could draw significant support from Khan.

Taking November 2023 polls as gospel is ridiculous and back in 2021 the polls were very poor. Both YouGov and Savanta, who did fieldwork on the three days before polling, reported 12-point leads for Khan and in the end Khan won the first round by less than five. I'm not certain what happened - the Conservatives actually won one Ward in Newham in the Mayoral race and in the East Ham Central by election, the Conservative candidate polled 30% which was remarkable. Did Labour voters just abstain or did the pollsters just not see a groundswell of Conservative support in the last days of the contest?

That was then and this is now, as a wise man once opined. London Labour has a lot of problems but London Conservatives are also in a bad place compared to 2021. The race remains Khan's to lose.

It's odd that there haven't been any more recent polls.

(Possibly not that odd- the Standard is rapidly dying as an actual newspaper and why waste money on polling when the headline is so obvious?)

The last London election was peak Vaccine Bounce, which is a long time ago now.

Hall would have needed a lot of things to fall her way; a better national picture, someone like Jez standing as a spoiler on the left, ULEZ still being a live issue. On those counts, she's 3-0 down.

Plus, she is a bit of a nitwit.
  • Options
    stjohn said:

Tents and Mexicans would be the MAGA attack lines.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,315
    Sean_F said:

It's that 'art of the deal' schtick again. Donald Trump the big big man who intimidates and runs rings round everybody by being incredibly smart and tough. Manhattan real estate, big ticket geopolitics, it makes no difference. Always 'winning'. Always 'beating' people. It's infantile but one of his most effective lines of appeal. Most of his supporters are quite simple people and they buy it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

When did I say they aren't ?

Their beliefs are irrelevant. The headlines they publish are what matters.
    I'll try and explain it in short words. They are publishing a lot of anti-Biden stuff because they are now shit-scared Biden is so gaga he will lose to Trump, and they really don't want Trump to win.

It's not because, as your comrade @edmundintokyo put it: "they [the NYT] don't particularly mind if Trump wins because he's great for their business"
  • Options

stodge said:

It's odd that there haven't been any more recent polls.

(Possibly not that odd- the Standard is rapidly dying as an actual newspaper and why waste money on polling when the headline is so obvious?)

The last London election was peak Vaccine Bounce, which is a long time ago now.

Hall would have needed a lot of things to fall her way; a better national picture, someone like Jez standing as a spoiler on the left, ULEZ still being a live issue. On those counts, she's 3-0 down.

Plus, she is a bit of a nitwit.
    I know as little of her platform as I did Bailey's. My recollection of 2021 was Bailey answering almost every question with "I'll recruit more Police". Now, crime is a concern in London as elsewhere and unfortunately one of the Coalition's more halfbaked ideas was to sell off operational Police stations (enthusiastically supported by the then Mayor).
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    This site is going totally fingers in the ears again. You might think Carlson a lick spittle, Putin mysteriously dull for a modern day genocidist and be (correctly) sceptical that 189million haven’t watched a full 2 hour political interview (via interpreter) but only snippets.

But that doesn’t detract from this being a milestone moment in media history, nor is it an irrelevance for the congressional passage of the military aid bill and November elections.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    edited February 11
    Taz said:

Labours problem with their pro slaughter stance on Gaza, as some of their core vote perceives it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/10/labour-mps-facing-wave-of-independent-challengers-over-stance-on-gaza

After the story of the six year old girl in the taxi that led the BBC news and the brilliant report 'from our own cotrrespondent' you'd have to be pretty sick to continue supporting Netanyahu or Israel in any shape or form. Yesterday's pictures of the blown out ambulence with it's two paramedics dead inside just made it even more unbearable.

It was a major topic of conversation at an event I went to yesterday in Nice. It could turn into as iconic an image as the burning Vietnamese girl. It's difficult to knows how it's running across the rest of Europe.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,727
    Taz said:

For now.

His apology really quite something. That’s obviously the price of keeping the nomination: complete mea culpa mea maxima culpa, otherwise you’re out.

Interesting test of whether proper heartfelt (or at least superficially heartfelt) apologies have a better impact than halfhearted ones.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

However we do know what equals a view on Youtube - it is at least 30 seconds of engagement with the actual video

Tucker Putin has racked up at least thirty million views on YouTube, cumulatively

There may well be a reason why the engagement would be a lot less than that on TwiX but it seems clear Carlson has got many tens of million of people (possibly over a hundred millon) to see at least SOME of his interview with Putler
    Basically, if you've watched even a moment of Carlson's interview with Putin that validates the argument it's an important event whereas if you've not watched it you're out of touch with the world and what's happening.

Heads I win, tails you lose.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 11
    stjohn said:

"The NYT article" is an opinion piece by Douthat, a Republican. What he wants to do is to damage Joe Biden, the Democratic president, and Kamala Harris, the Democratic VP who would almost definitely get the nomination if Joe Biden decided not to run. His specific suggestion, which I'm sure is totally intended to be helpful, is that Biden retire but not endorse Kamala Harris and leave it to convention floor votes to decide, which would likely result in Kamala Harris getting the nomination anyhow. At this point Douthat would write a column about how the Democratic VP didn't have the confidence of the president she'd just been serving under.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

This site is going totally fingers in the ears again. You might think Carlson a lick spittle, Putin mysteriously dull for a modern day genocidist and be (correctly) sceptical that 189million haven’t watched a full 2 hour political interview (via interpreter) but only snippets.

But that doesn’t detract from this being a milestone moment in media history, nor is it an irrelevance for the congressional passage of the military aid bill and November elections.

Again, it's the weird lack of nuance. PB didn't used to be this dim, did it?

But I have moaned about this enough

I am determined to play nicely, seeing as I am totally reliant on PB for social intercourse until I can get the fuck out of dodge. I love you all!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,384
    Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

That the interview occurred at all is newsworthy but we are in dog walking on its hindlegs territory. There does not seem to be much that has come out of it. Perhaps after Putin blamed Boris for sabotaging peace, Carlson should have asked if the same terms are still on the table. (Maybe he did, I've not watched it, but we'd have heard by now.)
    Who gives a monkey's chuff. 2 hours of a mental murdering despot, being butt licked by a thick publicity hungry American crapbag, as he talks verbal diahorrea.
    I would not even deign to look at a headline about it, by morons for morons.
    Yet you seem quite keen to talk about it. Odd
    No, you're talking about it incessantly. Giving others the invidious choice between ignoring your return to shilling for Putin, after a couple of years' off, or responding to your hysterical drivel in which case you accuse the respondent of being the one who is obsessed. Which is as transparent and pitiful a tactic as hell.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,889
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/10/c-of-e-refutes-claims-of-conveyor-belt-of-asylum-seeker-fake-conversions

Interesting piece - and rather more nuanced than Ms Braverman's and Mr 30p Anderson's assertions, which were based on some curious anecdata:

'On Thursday, a former C of E priest claimed the church was complicit in a “conveyor belt and veritable industry of asylum baptisms”. Matthew Firth, who was a priest in the north of England, told the Telegraph that about 20 asylum seekers had sought baptisms at his church to support their applications, and he believed there were “probably” thousands of asylum baptisms in the C of E.

Paul Butler, the bishop of Durham, has said Firth’s claims were “imaginative” and “some distance from reality”.

In a statement, Butler said: “Mr Firth does not offer any evidence to support these claims, however a check of the parish records quickly reveals … a total of 15 people (13 adults, 2 infants) who may have been asylum seekers have been baptised over the past 10 years. Of these, seven were baptised by Mr Firth himself.

“As priest in charge, he will have been aware of his responsibility to check the authenticity of candidates. If there was any sign of anything amiss, Mr Firth should have reported this. Had he raised any concerns at any point with senior staff … they would of course have been taken seriously and investigated. He did not do so.”'

Though, of course, 'seek' is not the same as 'actually be baptised'.

• Options

stjohn said:

"The NYT article" is an opinion piece by Douthat, a Republican. What he wants to do is to damage Joe Biden, the Democratic president, and Kamala Harris, the Democratic VP who would almost definitely get the nomination if Joe Biden decided not to run. His specific suggestion, which I'm intended to be totally helpful, is that Biden retire but not endorse Kamala Harris and leave it to convention floor votes to decide, which would likely result in Kamala Harris getting the nomination anyhow. At this point Douthat would write a column about how the Democratic VP didn't have the confidence of the president she'd just been serving under.
    Yes, but you literally believe "the New York Times doesn't particularly mind if Trump wins because he's great for their business"

So I think it's best if 1. we ignore you on this point and/or 2. perhaps you should talk about something else?
  • Options
    Taz said:

For now.

There were major security failings in Israel which Hamas identified and ruthlessly exploited. Once the fighting in Gaza is over I wonder if anyone in Israel will go back and ask why this was allowed to happen and seek accountability from those supposedly responsible for the nation's security.

Did we, for example, ever ask how our defences got into such a condition in the late 1930s the German Army was able to end up conquering western Europe in a few weeks and German aircraft were able to punitively attack British towns and cities? I suspect not.

In the relief of things turning out right we rarely ask how they went wrong in the first place - the four questions which should always be asked are what happened and why did it happen followed by what might have happened and why did it not? The last two take a lot longer than the first two.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Taz said:

Labours problem with their pro slaughter stance on Gaza, as some of their core vote perceives it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/feb/10/labour-mps-facing-wave-of-independent-challengers-over-stance-on-gaza

Yes, it is interesting that the government has played the Israel/Palestine issue with far more nuance than Labour, calling for pauses and a two-state solution while supporting Israel. As elsewhere, Starmer seems leaden-footed.
    Yes, the govt has got many things wrong but seems to be doing better on Gaza than labour. The govt is a critical friend of the Israeli govt, Labour is a just a devotee of Likud.
    Warnings over Rafah offensive mount as Israel plans push in Gaza
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68266335

The current BBC lead story records objections from Britain, Europe and America. Surely that provides enough political cover for Starmer to say something, anything.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

Tell you what, why don't we cut a deal?

We all agree that Carlson-Putin was the most important political interview in the universe ever and had more views than the number of people on the planet.

In return, you agree never to mention it again.
    Fine by me, but you'll have to run it by Smithson Junior, as he was the one who kicked off this debate yesterday by saying I had been proven wrong and Tucker Putin was a flop, a disaster, no one watched it, which, as we now know, is shite

Otherwise, yes, let's move on

Tho there is that really weird moment at about 1 hour 32 in the interview.... but I want to turn that into a Gazette piece so mum's the word!

• Options
    Roger said:

Taz said:

After the story of the six year old girl in the taxi that led the BBC news and the brilliant report 'from our own cotrrespondent' you'd have to be pretty sick to continue supporting Netanyahu or Israel in any shape or form. Yesterday's pictures of the blown out ambulence with it's two paramedics dead inside just made it even more unbearable.

It was a major topic of conversation at an event I went to yesterday in Nice. It could turn into as iconic an image as the burning Vietnamese girl. It's difficult to knows how it's running across the rest of Europe.
    Support for Israel on this is down to those who don't view Palestinians as proper 3d human beings.
  • Options
    edited February 11
    The dental crisis is not going away: this on the issue of involuntary delisting from the NHS (never mind trying to get on in the first place):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/11/dentists-barred-english-nhs-patients-over-skipped-checkups-in-pandemic

Intderestingly, three months notice is required in Scotland, but south of the border
    you can be cancelled dentally just like that *snaps fingers*.

A curious comment: 'A Commons’ health select committee report published in July recommended the government require patients to be registered with an NHS dentist. The government has said it has no plans to introduce official patient registration for dental services, because the current model allows “greater choice and flexibility for patients”.'
  • Options
    edited February 11
    IanB2 said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

That the interview occurred at all is newsworthy but we are in dog walking on its hindlegs territory. There does not seem to be much that has come out of it. Perhaps after Putin blamed Boris for sabotaging peace, Carlson should have asked if the same terms are still on the table. (Maybe he did, I've not watched it, but we'd have heard by now.)
    Who gives a monkey's chuff. 2 hours of a mental murdering despot, being butt licked by a thick publicity hungry American crapbag, as he talks verbal diahorrea.
    No, you're talking about it incessantly. Giving others the invidious choice between ignoring your return to shilling for Putin, after a couple of years' off, or responding to your hysterical drivel in which case you accuse the respondent of being the one who is obsessed. Which is as transparent and pitiful a tactic as hell.
    Yes Leon is justifying how much chatter there is on PB over the Carlson-Putin love-in when every third post is Leon waxing lyrical over Carlson fellating Putin over on YouTube. And posters then feeling the need to call Leon out for his nonsense is according to Leon enthusiasm for the interview.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,548
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

As I pointed out the other day, making them illegal means that, under the sentencing guidelines you are in the High Culpability column.

Which means if your dog kills someone you can get 14 years - the sentencing *starts* at 8 years.

This will end with a number of people get the maximum.
  • Options
    Leon said:

stjohn said:

"The NYT article" is an opinion piece by Douthat, a Republican. What he wants to do is to damage Joe Biden, the Democratic president, and Kamala Harris, the Democratic VP who would almost definitely get the nomination if Joe Biden decided not to run. His specific suggestion, which I'm intended to be totally helpful, is that Biden retire but not endorse Kamala Harris and leave it to convention floor votes to decide, which would likely result in Kamala Harris getting the nomination anyhow. At this point Douthat would write a column about how the Democratic VP didn't have the confidence of the president she'd just been serving under.
    Yes, but you literally believe "the New York Times doesn't particularly mind if Trump wins because he's great for their business"

So I think it's best if 1. we ignore you on this point and/or 2. perhaps you should talk about something else?
    'Yes but' I'll ignore the point you just made and talk about something else.
    You can argue with edmundintokyo about what the NYT 'believes' as much as you like, but it's irrelevant.

What matters is what they publish, and your assertion that it's comparable to the way in which the Telegraph operates is simply risible.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

DM coming for you, would like your opinion on something
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

Yes Leon is justifying how much chatter there is on PB over the Carlson-Putin love-in when every third post is Leon waxing lyrical over Carlson fellating Putin over on YouTube. And posters then feeling the need to call Leon out for his nonsense is according to Leon enthusiasm for the interview.
    Heads he wins, tails we lose.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,797
    edited February 11
    kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

It's that 'art of the deal' schtick again. Donald Trump the big big man who intimidates and runs rings round everybody by being incredibly smart and tough. Manhattan real estate, big ticket geopolitics, it makes no difference. Always 'winning'. Always 'beating' people. It's infantile but one of his most effective lines of appeal. Most of his supporters are quite simple people and they buy it.
    I don't want to be 'pro-Trump', but one way of looking at this is that it is selling NATO to his followers. It sets out a vision. Obviously though it is flawed, because some countries are more at risk of attack than others, in many cases however there is a strategic interest in having them in the alliance, despite the relatively low GDP contibution, but that line of thinking is a bit too complex in this type of debate. As a general principle the 'NATO as a protectorate' idea is pretty sound and better than it being a fading legacy of the cold war with people being uncertain about what it is.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

stjohn said:

You can argue with edmundintokyo about what the NYT 'believes' as much as you like, but it's irrelevant.

What matters is what they publish, and your assertion that it's comparable to the way in which the Telegraph operates is simply risible.
    Another outing for that most insidious of bad faith arguing techniques - the False Equivalence.

The Guardian = The Express. CH4 = GBNews. Insurrection and Election Denial 2020 = Talking about Russian interference 2016. Etc etc.

It's not exclusive to the Right but they are the specialists in the area.
  • Options
    Not sure if anyone has noted this website:

https://themuslimvote.co.uk/who-should-i-vote-for

Looks a bit like the Open Newham website in style and content.

East Ham has 43% of the electorate identifiying as Muslim which puts it third in the country but Stephen Timms voted for a ceasefire in Gaza which will help him a little.

Just to note it's not all Labour constituencies - there are at least seven Conservative MPs who voted against a Gaza ceasefire on the list.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

The dental crisis is not going away: this on the issue of involuntary delisting from the NHS (never mind trying to get on in the first place):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/feb/11/dentists-barred-english-nhs-patients-over-skipped-checkups-in-pandemic

Intderestingly, three months notice is required in Scotland, but south of the border
    you can be cancelled dentally just like that *snaps fingers*.

A curious comment: 'A Commons’ health select committee report published in July recommended the government require patients to be registered with an NHS dentist. The government has said it has no plans to introduce official patient registration for dental services, because the current model allows “greater choice and flexibility for patients”.'

I'm sold. This could be the keystone issue Labour base a campaign on. Pervasive, tangible, representative of a wider malaise. If the NHS can't sort your teeth out...

Also an issue in Scotland so you can bash both opponents with it without it being a left-right issue.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

We all agree that Carlson-Putin was the most important political interview in the universe ever and had more views than the number of people on the planet.

It is the most boring topic since @Leons last monomania.

A bloodthirsty lying dictator being interviewed by a far right conspiracy theorist does not an interesting interview make. It's just clickbait for the gullible. No wonder he is so obsessed.
    Yes, of course, that's why no one is talking about it. It's basically just me. And every single news outlet on the planet. And Boris Johnson. And Justin Trudeau. And the white House Press Secretary. And Zelensky. And and and
  • Options

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

As I pointed out the other day, making them illegal means that, under the sentencing guidelines you are in the High Culpability column.

Which means if your dog kills someone you can get 14 years - the sentencing *starts* at 8 years.

It's not an effective solution to the problem at all, is it? Owners will still want to keep their dogs for whatever irrational reason (love of the animal, for protection/intimidation, for status, or simply because they don't like being told what to do by the state), people will still be attacked, maimed, and killed, and our prisons will continue to overflow with former dog owners at the tax payers expense.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

A bloodthirsty lying dictator being interviewed by a far right conspiracy theorist does not an interesting interview make. It's just clickbait for the gullible. No wonder he is so obsessed.
    Yes, of course, that's why no one is talking about it. It's basically just me. And every single news outlet on the planet. And Boris Johnson. And Justin Trudeau. And the white House Press Secretary. And Zelensky. And and and
    As a matter of interest, did you learn anything from the interview? If so, what?
  • Options
    edited February 11
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

stjohn said:

Er, @edmundintokyo is talking about the New York Times, in the comment to which I respond, but he has just asserted that "the New York Times doesn't particularly mind if Trump wins because he's great for their business", which is a clearly insane statement, rendering all his opinions on the NYT worthless (and you seem to agree with him, in part?)

It's like if I started blatting on about rugby. and claimed the All Blacks generally try to lose; you'd stop listening to me about rugby, and rightly so
  • Options
    stjohn said:

This is why not:

California will welcome the new year by becoming the first state to offer health insurance for all undocumented immigrants.

Starting Jan. 1, all undocumented immigrants, regardless of age, will qualify for Medi-Cal, California's version of the federal Medicaid program for people with low incomes.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/california-1st-state-offer-health-insurance-undocumented-immigrants/story?id=105986377
  • Options

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

As a matter of interest, did you learn anything from the interview? If so, what?
    Yes, lots of stuff

But, if I talk about it, I'll be accused of talking about it, to prove that people are talking about it, by the PB geniuses, so what can I do?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,669
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Again, it's the weird lack of nuance. PB didn't used to be this dim, did it?

But I have moaned about this enough

I am determined to play nicely, seeing as I am totally reliant on PB for social intercourse until I can get the fuck out of dodge. I love you all!
    Well that is a promise broken in just under 24 hours isn't it?

You also relentlessly complain about people being obsessed with you when they react to your posts in frustration even if only very occasionally eg @malcolmg today, yet when something like 50% of the post here are from you it is impossible for that not to be the case. Some will argue with you but others just get fed up with the relentless nonsense and react accordingly. They are not obsessed with you, they are simply reacting in exasperation.

This is another example of you mis-analysing stuff.
  • Options
    Good morning

I did not listen to, or have any interest, in the Carlson - Putin debate which seems to have taken over PB

Maybe having health issues, a pacemaker operation, and on going investigations I just canot be bothered over this event which, apart from a few political obsessives, is unlikely to have registered with the public at large

On domestic politics, I note Labour have a real problem with their Rochdale candidate and the haranguing of Angela Rayner, while canvassing, must have been very unpleasant and surely this Middle East conflict is interrupting UK politics and Labour in particular
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,964
    I’m surprised Carlson didn’t get down and blow Putin .

And that’s the same for much of the GOP who are treasonous scum .
  • Options

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

It's not an effective solution to the problem at all, is it? Owners will still want to keep their dogs for whatever irrational reason (love of the animal, for protection/intimidation, for status, or simply because they don't like being told what to do by the state), people will still be attacked, maimed, and killed, and our prisons will continue to overflow with former dog owners at the tax payers expense.
    I had a look to see if any state has compulsory euthanasia done byu the government but got sidetracked by this rather bizarre sidelight on the matter - the advice to vets says to watch out for people bringing in XL Bullies that aren't even their own for terminal injection so they can collect the £200 compo off the Government. Rather like stealing lemonade bottles in the old days to get the 6d return.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/xl-bully-dog-ban/#euthanasia
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

Yes, lots of stuff

But, if I talk about it, I'll be accused of talking about it, to prove that people are talking about it, by the PB geniuses, so what can I do?
    In other words, nothing.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

Support for Israel on this is down to those who don't view Palestinians as proper 3d human beings.
    That seems to be a UK thing. Perhaps it's the same thing as Brexit. This idea of British exceptionalism. The 'Zulu' mentality. Some of the posts on here are just alarming. Some of the brightest as wisest and most interesting people I've met are Arabs. They have a wisdom that goes back centuries. So many here just see them as the Indians in the cowboys and Indians that they grew up with
  • Options
    nico679 said:

It's worth reminding ourselves - and the Americans - that this arsehole sprayed Novichok around Salisbury. Still surprised at how restrained the UK Gov was at the time.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,282
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

Fine by me, but you'll have to run it by Smithson Junior, as he was the one who kicked off this debate yesterday by saying I had been proven wrong and Tucker Putin was a flop, a disaster, no one watched it, which, as we now know, is shite

Otherwise, yes, let's move on

Tho there is that really weird moment at about 1 hour 32 in the interview.... but I want to turn that into a Gazette piece so mum's the word!

I'm looking forward to the major Hollywood movie 30 years later being nominated for 5 Oscars, like Frost/Nixon.

Carlson/Putin. Should be riveting.
  • Options
    darkage said:

kinabalu said:

Sean_F said:

I don't want to be 'pro-Trump', but one way of looking at this is that it is selling NATO to his followers. It sets out a vision. Obviously though it is flawed, because some countries are more at risk of attack than others, in many cases however there is a strategic interest in having them in the alliance, despite the relatively low GDP contibution, but that line of thinking is a bit too complex in this type of debate. As a general principle the 'NATO as a protectorate' idea is pretty sound and better than it being a fading legacy of the cold war with people being uncertain about what it is.
    You're being far too generous. He's selling his one and only product - himself. As for what he'd do on NATO if he gets back, I honestly don't know. He might trash it or then again he might not. It's a risk (along with many others) that he alone brings and like all the others it skews heavily to the downside. Trump Risk we can call it. It merits its own category. If people want to avoid it (which is the rational choice) they know what to do.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

I had a look to see if any state has compulsory euthanasia done byu the government but got sidetracked by this rather bizarre sidelight on the matter - the advice to vets says to watch out for people bringing in XL Bullies that aren't even their own for terminal injection so they can collect the £200 compo off the Government. Rather like stealing lemonade bottles in the old days to get the 6d return.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/setting-standards/advice-and-guidance/xl-bully-dog-ban/#euthanasia
    There's always unintended consequences and people exploiting compensation schemes is nothing new.

The problems is governments, egged on by the media and public opinion, often make knee jerk decisions to solve a problem without properly thinking it through and considering potential unintended consequences, and how to counter them.

On the potential euthanasia scam you describe, I would suggest that the pragmatic thing to do would be for the vet to euthanase the animal and get it out of circulation - after all, you'd be paying the real owner the £200.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    edited February 11
    There really has been a move in Rochdale by election betting now - Labour 2/5 from 1/4 whilst GG has shortened likewise, 4/1 into 5/2

I suppose Labour will be saying how they disagree with their candidate, whilst a lot of Muslim voters actually agree. So the only one saying it loud & proud is Georgie
  • Options
    This is a bigger victory than Waterloo.

Michelin-star chef prefers to serve British cheese instead of French

French chef Claude Bosi says 'evolution' of British cheese has been 'amazing' compared to 25 years ago when there was 'hardly any choice'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/10/michelin-star-chef-british-cheese-french-claude-bosi/
  • Options
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

That seems to be a UK thing. Perhaps it's the same thing as Brexit. This idea of British exceptionalism. The 'Zulu' mentality. Some of the posts on here are just alarming. Some of the brightest as wisest and most interesting people I've met are Arabs. They have a wisdom that goes back centuries. So many here just see them as the Indians in the cowboys and Indians that they grew up with
    You do have a nice line in self-hating faux orientalism.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

There's always unintended consequences and people exploiting compensation schemes is nothing new.

The problems is governments, egged on by the media and public opinion, often make knee jerk decisions to solve a problem without properly thinking it through and considering potential unintended consequences, and how to counter them.

On the potential euthanasia scam you describe, I would suggest that the pragmatic thing to do would be for the vet to euthanase the animal and get it out of circulation - after all, you'd be paying the real owner the £200.
    Also, demands for government to do the euthanising forcibly - yes, but who? The police? Vets who will be threatened? Some new service that will make itself out of a job unless it moves on to Staffies, etc. etc. ...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

Yes, lots of stuff

In other words, nothing.
    OK, it seems you really want to know, so here is what I took away

1. Putin is properly smart

2. He is highly informed: he knows America's GDP growth, he knows the GDP by PPP of the top seven countries, he knows trade patterns

3. HE is not dying, he doesn't even look ill

4. He is an autodidact, and particularly obsessed with Russian history, and he has a vast but very boring knowledge of it, which he is unable to express excitingly

4. He GENUINELY believes Ukraine does not have a right to exist, and he's thought about it a lot - eg I didn;t know the etymology of Ukraine comes from "borderland" - but he's right, it does, and it's part of his argument

5. He does his research: he knew Carlson had applied for the CIA - a moment which threw Carlson

6. I get the sense his territorial ambitions do not extend beyond Ukraine, but, he is a lying tyrant, so don't hold me to that

7. He fears and loathes America, fears its strength, loathes its hypocrisy - as he sees it

8. He is coldly irreligious

9. He seems to be a personal friend of Elon Musk - calls him "Elon" - but I could be wrong

10. He is quite up to speed on AI, and a bit scared of it

11. He is an absolute old fashioned Russian nationalist, in the Solzhenitsyn sense, he genuinely believes the stuff about the Russian soul, deep and Dostoevskyan (he actually cites Dostoevsky at one point)

12. He doesn't want an all out war, but mainly cause he would lose, or we'd all be dead, he's probably go for it if he could win

13. He is SCARED of China, they are not friends or allies, he pretends they are, but the body language says Fear, to me

There is more, lots more, but that's what I saw, for starters

• Options
    Barf.

One of the reasons Horner is paid a reported £8 million a year is because he is brilliant at marketing — both himself and Red Bull. His marriage to Geri Halliwell, the former Spice Girl, has added to his fame and combined the pair are thought to be worth £80 million.

The pair have three children between them and a wi-fi password of “Wonderful Husband”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/roaring-egos-and-track-titans-my-life-in-the-formula-one-fast-lane-pckhf8xrj
  • Options
    nico679 said:

I doubt many Westerners would act aggressively if they had a chat with Putin in Russia to be honest.

Maybe we could club together and get James O’Brien an interview at the Kremlin, on the condition he really goes for Vlad’s jugular

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,940
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Shockingly good.

I do hope Biden can be persuaded to stand aside but somehow I doubt it.

(Although, I did forecast way back that if Biden was going to pull out he wouldn't do so until February 24; still two and a half weeks to go.)
    There's a theory on TwiX...
    Is there really? It must be true then. Twitter is never wrong.

• Options

This is a bigger victory than Waterloo.

Michelin-star chef prefers to serve British cheese instead of French

French chef Claude Bosi says 'evolution' of British cheese has been 'amazing' compared to 25 years ago when there was 'hardly any choice'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/10/michelin-star-chef-british-cheese-french-claude-bosi/

IIRC a transformation which began when farmers were told that their surplus milk would no longer be automatically bought.
  • Options
    Roger said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

I can't claim similar exposure but yes I do detect a "them arabs are inferior to them Israelis" mindset underlying some of the commentary.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Labour 'set to suspend' Rochdale candidate despite grovelling apology to Israel supporters. Labour in chaos, accused of 'throwing' campaign to avoid fallout if they lose to Galloway...

Yes I know its Skwawkbox but can't see how SKS can do anything else as the BOD demand his head on a plate.

I placed a bet on GG at 4/1 as the news broke yesterday

How dare Labour suspend antisemitic conspiracy theorists as party members? Don’t they know the party’s meant to be a haven for racists and weirdos?

(A more pertinent question would be, why did they pick the silly sod in the first place?)
    Ali is a former council leader and head of the Labour group on Lancashire County Council. The original allegation, which I described yesterday as tenuous, was that Ali had been on the committee of a mosque that had recently hosted radical speakers. The Jewish Chronicle reported this but did not splash it. It also mentioned that a Muslim site complained that Ali had been a government anti-terrorism adviser and therefore not Islamist.
    https://www.thejc.com/lets-talk/why-has-labours-rochdale-candidate-fundraised-for-a-mosque-that-hosted-extremists-ln6owl6f

Since then, the Mail reports a recording of Ali, well:-

Outrage after Labour candidate claims Israel deliberately allowed 1,400 of its citizens to be massacred on October 7 in order to give it the 'green light' to invade Gaza
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13069671/Outrage-Labour-candidate-claims-Israel-deliberately-allowed-1-400-citizens-massacred-October-7-order-green-light-invade-Gaza.html
    So it seems the panel made a logical decision at the time and Ali said something stupid since.

In which case, fair enough to Labour. They were unlucky.

But I can't see how he survives saying it. Even our own resident antisemites don't suggest Israel deliberately allowed 7th October, although the more we know the more spectacular the failure of the Israeli government under Netanyahu looks.
    No again you are wrong the remarks were made soon after the October 7th attacks the shortlisting was well after that.

Bad due diligence not unlucky

0/10 try harder
    Tony Lloyd died on 17th January 2024 so Labour shortlisting was clearly after that.

Ali made his remarks in October or November.
    Sowhat you’re saying is my first question was right after all?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,878
    TimS said:

Taz said:

For now.

His apology really quite something. That’s obviously the price of keeping the nomination: complete mea culpa mea maxima culpa, otherwise you’re out.

Interesting test of whether proper heartfelt (or at least superficially heartfelt) apologies have a better impact than halfhearted ones.
    He has to be removed as candidate.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Lol.

Laughable.

Carlson’s Youtube

12m

Russian YouTube

10m

Russel brand’s take

2m

Telegraph

3m

Arabic

1m

Live reaction

2.9m

Fox now

1m

Times radio

1.2m

Some weird Russian thing

Nearly 1m

But what is a 'view'?

Or is it both?

Yes, lots of stuff

In other words, nothing.
    OK, it seems you really want to know, so here is what I took away

1. Putin is properly smart

2. He is highly informed: he knows America's GDP growth, he knows the GDP by PPP of the top seven countries, he knows trade patterns

3. HE is not dying, he doesn't even look ill

4. He is an autodidact, and particularly obsessed with Russian history, and he has a vast but very boring knowledge of it, which he is unable to express excitingly

4. He GENUINELY believes Ukraine does not have a right to exist, and he's thought about it a lot - eg I didn;t know the etymology of Ukraine comes from "borderland" - but he's right, it does, and it's part of his argument

5. He does his research: he knew Carlson had applied for the CIA - a moment which threw Carlson

6. I get the sense his territorial ambitions do not extend beyond Ukraine, but, he is a lying tyrant, so don't hold me to that

7. He fears and loathes America, fears its strength, loathes its hypocrisy - as he sees it

8. He is coldly irreligious

9. He seems to be a personal friend of Elon Musk - calls him "Elon" - but I could be wrong

10. He is quite up to speed on AI, and a bit scared of it

11. He is an absolute old fashioned Russian nationalist, in the Solzhenitsyn sense, he genuinely believes the stuff about the Russian soul, deep and Dostoevskyan (he actually cites Dostoevsky at one point)

12. He doesn't want an all out war, but mainly cause he would lose, or we'd all be dead, he's probably go for it if he could win

13. He is SCARED of China, they are not friends or allies, he pretends they are, but the body language says Fear, to me

There is more, lots more, but that's what I saw, for starters
    Gosh. You're like George Bush. You saw into his soul.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Labour 'set to suspend' Rochdale candidate despite grovelling apology to Israel supporters. Labour in chaos, accused of 'throwing' campaign to avoid fallout if they lose to Galloway...

Yes I know its Skwawkbox but can't see how SKS can do anything else as the BOD demand his head on a plate.

How dare Labour suspend antisemitic conspiracy theorists as party members? Don’t they know the party’s meant to be a haven for racists and weirdos?

(A more pertinent question would be, why did they pick the silly sod in the first place?)
    Ali is a former council leader and head of the Labour group on Lancashire County Council. The original allegation, which I described yesterday as tenuous, was that Ali had been on the committee of a mosque that had recently hosted radical speakers. The Jewish Chronicle reported this but did not splash it. It also mentioned that a Muslim site complained that Ali had been a government anti-terrorism adviser and therefore not Islamist.
    https://www.thejc.com/lets-talk/why-has-labours-rochdale-candidate-fundraised-for-a-mosque-that-hosted-extremists-ln6owl6f

Outrage after Labour candidate claims Israel deliberately allowed 1,400 of its citizens to be massacred on October 7 in order to give it the 'green light' to invade Gaza
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13069671/Outrage-Labour-candidate-claims-Israel-deliberately-allowed-1-400-citizens-massacred-October-7-order-green-light-invade-Gaza.html
    So it seems the panel made a logical decision at the time and Ali said something stupid since.

But I can't see how he survives saying it. Even our own resident antisemites don't suggest Israel deliberately allowed 7th October, although the more we know the more spectacular the failure of the Israeli government under Netanyahu looks.
    No again you are wrong the remarks were made soon after the October 7th attacks the shortlisting was well after that.

Bad due diligence not unlucky

0/10 try harder
    Tony Lloyd died on 17th January 2024 so Labour shortlisting was clearly after that.

Ali made his remarks in October or November.
    Sowhat you’re saying is my first question was right after all?
    “Why did they pick the silly sod in the first place?”

Sir Keir apparently wanted the i’s Paul Waugh, but the local candidate beat him

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited February 11
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Tony Lloyd wasn’t even dead when he made these statements.

Labour have screwed up with the selection.

BJO’s statement on Luke Akehurst is a fact, it is hardly anti semitic.
    Leaving aside, for the moment, the fact that he got the organisations Akehurst is associated with wrong, the statement said that he was paid lobbyist of the Israelis by firm implication, The Israeli government.

Is this a fact? It doesn’t look like it from what I can see.

algarkirk said:

Taz said:

There are no positions you can take on this and most Middle East issues without being open to accusations of being pro slaughter.
    There are.
    Well, if really believe that you’ve adopted such a position there seems barely more point in reasoning with you than there would be with Trump.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

For now.

He has to be removed as candidate.
    How? The nominations have closed.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    kinabalu said:

Roger said:

kinabalu said:

Roger said:

Taz said:

I can't claim similar exposure but yes I do detect a "them arabs are inferior to them Israelis" mindset underlying some of the commentary.
    I think there is a racism of low expectations towards Arabs by many in the Western media. They are not expected to exhibit civilised behaviour, while it is expected from Israel, hence the asymmetry of outrage at Hamas atrocities and the IDF ones.

This discussion has been closed.