Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How Biden’s making Trump’s cognitive decline an issue – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    isam said:

MJW said:

Ratters said:

Labour leads by 23%.

Lowest Conservative % since Rishi Sunak became PM.

Westminster Voting Intention (21 Jan):

Labour 45% (+1)
    Conservative 22% (-3)
    Reform UK 12% (+1)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 14 Jan

https://x.com/redfieldwilton/status/1749477021477200364?s=61&t=c6bcp0cjChLfQN5Tc8A_6g

The way I see this year is the Tories had up to 10 months to turn around the polls meaningfully (e.g. to sub 10% leads) to have a chance of a respectable performance.

The first month of the year it looks like they'll have see gone backwards.

The clock is ticking down...
    The belief 'polls would automatically narrow' was always slightly odd given there were good reasons governments outperformed mid-term polls that do not necessarily imply. Namely, that governments tended to get their unpopular stuff and have their teething problems early in a term, then ensure there were some goodies by the election.

Sunak hasn't been able to, for reasons both out of control and of the Tories' making. Hence the oddness of his messaging. You're supposed to have done the 'tough decisions' and so can do the giveaways by now. But veers between trying to sound like he is, and attempts to throw Tories red meat.

Labour is unlikely to match its biggest leads, as there's something self-correcting there in that if people believe the Tories are getting thumped some loyalists come back, and others shrug a bit.
    You articulate a point I've been struggling to get across here for a while.

Whilst it is true that historically we have normally seen swingback in previous elections, there is no Iron Law that makes it happen. In fact given the peculiar circumstances in which we approach the next GE (surely now nailed on for the autumn) there is as much likelihood of swingmore as swingback.

You really cannot say at this stage which is the more probable.
    I think part of swingback is that inevitably the opposition get exposed to a lot more scrutiny in the run up to the election, especially when it looks nailed on that they will win. At the moment Starmer and labour are content to say ‘we are not the Tories’ and that’s enough, but it won’t be forever.
    Add in the solitary moment in the voting booth when voters who have loudly proclaimed that this time they will vote for X, but actually at the last minute stick with Y.

I’m still struck by the contrast of the polls, which have seen huge and pretty static labour leads for a year and the available money on Betfair for a labour majority. Clearly punters think swingback is coming.
    There’s nothing to swingback to. The party they voted for has gone. It’s like The Doors without Jim Morrison, or Oasis without Liam Gallagher

The only thing I can think of is that Sir Keir’s Wallyness might push some voters back, but there’d more likely go to Reform, particularly if Farage is leader

Oasis without Liam Gallagher is generous - if the 2019 Tory party was Oasis, the 2024 version is a third rate tribute band where the previous lead singer was replaced by someone with a transit van to transport the kit.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    @RobDotHutton
    We've reached the bottom of the barrel, minister-wise.

• Options

I’m still struck by the contrast of the polls, which have seen huge and pretty static labour leads for a year and the available money on Betfair for a labour majority. Clearly punters think swingback is coming.

Punters don't really have more info on the future than anyone else. But the odd on a Labour majority of 1.27 suggest that they're pretty confident of that result. Note that the market "How many seats will the Tories lose?" has the maximum 201+ as the clear favourite.
    Modesty prevents me from mentioning that I've been tipping the 201+ market for a while now, so I'll just point out that it's always a good idea to back the extreme choice on these banded markets if the facts support it at all. It's bloody frustrating if you all but call the election right but by being a couple of seats out you miss the right band. No such probs with 201+. You get everything from a landslide to 'Does anyone know where all the Tories went?'

The latter possibility is not entirely implausible. Betfair's 2.6 still looks decent value to me.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited January 22

isam said:

MJW said:

Ratters said:

Labour leads by 23%.

Labour 45% (+1)
    Conservative 22% (-3)
    Reform UK 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 14 Jan

https://x.com/redfieldwilton/status/1749477021477200364?s=61&t=c6bcp0cjChLfQN5Tc8A_6g

The way I see this year is the Tories had up to 10 months to turn around the polls meaningfully (e.g. to sub 10% leads) to have a chance of a respectable performance.

The belief 'polls would automatically narrow' was always slightly odd given there were good reasons governments outperformed mid-term polls that do not necessarily imply. Namely, that governments tended to get their unpopular stuff and have their teething problems early in a term, then ensure there were some goodies by the election.

Sunak hasn't been able to, for reasons both out of control and of the Tories' making. Hence the oddness of his messaging. You're supposed to have done the 'tough decisions' and so can do the giveaways by now. But veers between trying to sound like he is, and attempts to throw Tories red meat.

Labour is unlikely to match its biggest leads, as there's something self-correcting there in that if people believe the Tories are getting thumped some loyalists come back, and others shrug a bit.

Whilst it is true that historically we have normally seen swingback in previous elections, there is no Iron Law that makes it happen. In fact given the peculiar circumstances in which we approach the next GE (surely now nailed on for the autumn) there is as much likelihood of swingmore as swingback.

I think part of swingback is that inevitably the opposition get exposed to a lot more scrutiny in the run up to the election, especially when it looks nailed on that they will win. At the moment Starmer and labour are content to say ‘we are not the Tories’ and that’s enough, but it won’t be forever.
    Add in the solitary moment in the voting booth when voters who have loudly proclaimed that this time they will vote for X, but actually at the last minute stick with Y.

There’s nothing to swingback to. The party they voted for has gone. It’s like The Doors without Jim Morrison, or Oasis without Liam Gallagher

The only thing I can think of is that Sir Keir’s Wallyness might push some voters back, but there’d more likely go to Reform, particularly if Farage is leader

In which case put all the cash you can spare on a labour majority to get a 27% return in under a year…
    Too many short priced political bets get turned over for me to do that. Plus I’d back myself to make the money I’d put on Lab Maj return way more than 27% in the best part of a year
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Evening all :)

Two very different and not quite so different polls this evening. A gap of six points in the Conservative share between R&W and Deltapoll not easy to explain - the Deltapoll has Reform four down on R&W and the Liberal Democrats two down on R&W so that's the where but I still don't see the why beyond the usual double act of sampling and methodology.

The difference also reflected in the Con/Ref vs Lab/LD/Green breakdown which for R&W is 34-62 and for Deltapoll is 36-59 so not such a big difference. This split in 2019 was 48-47 so it's a 12% swing with Deltapoll and a 14.5% swing with R&W.

Both pollsters have produced significant outliers in the past so it's equally possible both could be "wrong".

Nonetheless, the Labour lead remains substantial (15-20 points) with less than 10 months to go (presumably). The "hope" for Conservatives must be in an economic upturn with tax cuts, falling inflation and falling energy prices. Will it make a difference? Perhaps - it hasn't yet.

The other problem for the Conservatives can be summed up in two words - Rishi Sunak. Perhaps, as Labor found in New Zealand, a last minute change of leader might create a new popularity. The trouble is, four Prime Ministers over a Parliament looks messy and why should a new leader suddenly make a difference as it will almost be someone closely associated with the current policies?
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,482

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/22/tories-hire-coordinator-to-get-expat-supporters-to-vote-in-general-election

'An extra 2.2 million overseas voters who have lived abroad for more than 15 years regained the right to vote in UK elections last Tuesday, after a statutory instrument that was approved by parliament in late December almost unnoticed came into force.

The expansion means they will be able to register in the constituency of the last address at which they were resident if they are able to provide relevant documentation, or failing that, through local records or on the word of an eligible British resident.

They will then be able to vote by proxy, with one proxy voter able to vote on behalf of as many as four overseas voters.

The Electoral Commission raised concerns in response to an earlier consultation in 2016 that voters “might be tempted to choose a marginal seat they had once lived in rather than a safe seat even if it had not been the last address they lived at before leaving”.

Concerns were also raised about the difficulty of checking information and the potential for fraud.'

Do I not like the sound of this.

"Our chaps need a helping hand, Labour are miles ahead. Can we put you down for Don Valley?"
    No one who has lived outside this country for 15 years or more* - unless it was on specific UK Government business or armed forces - should have the right to vote in a UK election. If they want to vote they should move back to the UK permanently.

*Personally I would prefer if that were reduced to less than 10 years
    If you read Pippa Crear's article it all smells a bit whiffy. 2.2m extra predominantly Tory voters placed in marginal seats by CCHQ could turn the election on its head.

The Conservatives could be way down in percentage points but smashing the seats won out of the park.

Trebles all 'round!
    You exaggerate, MP.

It might just about save Sir Christopher Chope, but it won't help many others to survive.
    The thing about any gerrymandering scheme is knowing which seats to fiddle.

If you go for 300-330, you're wasting your time, because they still get washed away in a tsunami election, which seems to be where we're heading.

If you go for the seats where it might make a difference (200-230? 150-180?), you're already conceding defeat.

Spread it over too many seats, and it's too diffuse to be useful.

Doesn't make it right, though
  • Options
    @SkyNews

BREAKING: The House of Lords has defied Rishi Sunak to vote against the ratification of the UK's new treaty with Rwanda - in what could prove a damaging development for the Safety of Rwanda Bill
  • Options
    stodge said:

Two very different and not quite so different polls this evening. A gap of six points in the Conservative share between R&W and Deltapoll not easy to explain - the Deltapoll has Reform four down on R&W and the Liberal Democrats two down on R&W so that's the where but I still don't see the why beyond the usual double act of sampling and methodology.

The difference also reflected in the Con/Ref vs Lab/LD/Green breakdown which for R&W is 34-62 and for Deltapoll is 36-59 so not such a big difference. This split in 2019 was 48-47 so it's a 12% swing with Deltapoll and a 14.5% swing with R&W.

Both pollsters have produced significant outliers in the past so it's equally possible both could be "wrong".

Nonetheless, the Labour lead remains substantial (15-20 points) with less than 10 months to go (presumably). The "hope" for Conservatives must be in an economic upturn with tax cuts, falling inflation and falling energy prices. Will it make a difference? Perhaps - it hasn't yet.

The other problem for the Conservatives can be summed up in two words - Rishi Sunak. Perhaps, as Labor found in New Zealand, a last minute change of leader might create a new popularity. The trouble is, four Prime Ministers over a Parliament looks messy and why should a new leader suddenly make a difference as it will almost be someone closely associated with the current policies?

The only way they could appoint another leader with any legitimacy is if they managed to get Boris back somehow. He won the last GE & 2019 Cons like him the most.

But that’s incredibly unlikely. Seems they’re up a gumtree to put it mildly. What an incredible collapse

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/jan/22/tories-hire-coordinator-to-get-expat-supporters-to-vote-in-general-election

'An extra 2.2 million overseas voters who have lived abroad for more than 15 years regained the right to vote in UK elections last Tuesday, after a statutory instrument that was approved by parliament in late December almost unnoticed came into force.

The expansion means they will be able to register in the constituency of the last address at which they were resident if they are able to provide relevant documentation, or failing that, through local records or on the word of an eligible British resident.

They will then be able to vote by proxy, with one proxy voter able to vote on behalf of as many as four overseas voters.

The Electoral Commission raised concerns in response to an earlier consultation in 2016 that voters “might be tempted to choose a marginal seat they had once lived in rather than a safe seat even if it had not been the last address they lived at before leaving”.

Concerns were also raised about the difficulty of checking information and the potential for fraud.'

"Our chaps need a helping hand, Labour are miles ahead. Can we put you down for Don Valley?"
    No one who has lived outside this country for 15 years or more* - unless it was on specific UK Government business or armed forces - should have the right to vote in a UK election. If they want to vote they should move back to the UK permanently.

If you read Pippa Crear's article it all smells a bit whiffy. 2.2m extra predominantly Tory voters placed in marginal seats by CCHQ could turn the election on its head.

The Conservatives could be way down in percentage points but smashing the seats won out of the park.

Trebles all 'round!
    Extremely dodgy. If you allow expatriates to vote it should be to overseas constituencies, which is how it is done in France.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituencies_for_French_residents_overseas
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,409
    Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

BREAKING: The House of Lords has defied Rishi Sunak to vote against the ratification of the UK's new treaty with Rwanda - in what could prove a damaging development for the Safety of Rwanda Bill

To be cynical, Number 10 might welcome that defeat as it can continue to blame SKS rather than prove Rwanda will not stop the boats or reduce (mostly legal) immigration.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,846
    The HOL votes to delay ratification of the Rwanda Treaty.

The government isn’t bound by this but because the Treaty is needed for the Rwanda Bill then it could cause problems for them when the HOL comes to debate and vote on that .
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Talking of bare faced liars like Trump, here is a useful summary of the lies told by Nicola Sturgeon in respect of the Covid records (other chapters of lies are, of course, available): https://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/columnists/nicola-sturgeons-reckoning-with-eternal-shame-is-now-only-a-question-of-when-brian-monteith-4486956
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited January 22
    Biden's message might wear better if it wasn't presented by this person. I remember a Labour Party MP suggesting that Israel be moved to Arizona and they were sacked on the spot! I think we'd be safer with Trump

https://twitter.com/dohanews/status/1747181583088373951
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Trebles all 'round!
    You exaggerate, MP.

It might just about save Sir Christopher Chope, but it won't help many others to survive.
    The thing about any gerrymandering scheme is knowing which seats to fiddle.

If you go for 300-330, you're wasting your time, because they still get washed away in a tsunami election, which seems to be where we're heading.

If you go for the seats where it might make a difference (200-230? 150-180?), you're already conceding defeat.

Spread it over too many seats, and it's too diffuse to be useful.

Doesn't make it right, though
    Can't get excited about it, Stuart.

My depressing experience of expats is that they are too concerned about the next g&t to think about voting in an election on a faraway island.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Roger said:

Biden's message might wear better if it wasn't presented by this person. I remember a Labour Party MP suggesting that Israel be moved to Arizona and they were sacked on the spot! I think I'd feel safer with Trump

https://twitter.com/dohanews/status/1747181583088373951

"I think I'd feel safer with Trump."

Then @Roger , with the greatest of respect, you are demented.
  • Options
    edited January 22

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Trebles all 'round!
    You exaggerate, MP.

2.2m could do much damage if utilised expeditiously.
    So, we're saying EVERY eligible expat will vote and they will ALL vote Conservative.

That's two leaps of the imagination.

I thought the ex-pats used to be able to vote in European Parliamentary elections and both the Conservative and Labour parties had organisations overseas.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,684
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

"Italy hails British veteran who fought for expatriate voting right

Harry Shindler, who died last year, fought in the battle of Anzio in 1944. He is being remembered as part of 80th anniversary celebrations in the region"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/italy-hails-british-veteran-who-fought-for-expatriate-voting-right-3dxmjk5h6
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,846
    Oh dear the BBC really is in trouble for tonight’s Panorama programme .

I expect the Tories to go into meltdown and their arse licking press to become even more unhinged in their attacks on the BBC .
  • Options
    Re the Labour Majority price, 1.27 means any other outcome is about 7/2. If you backed a 7/2f in an eight runner horse race, you’d be quietly confident of it winning, maybe you’d even (wrongly) expect it to win. But this 7/2 shot (Labour not getting an overall majority) seems like it should be a million to one

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,726
    edited January 22
    DavidL said:

FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Trebles all 'round!
    Extremely dodgy. If you allow expatriates to vote it should be to overseas constituencies, which is how it is done in France.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constituencies_for_French_residents_overseas
    The current rule is that you cannot vote if you have not lived in this country for 15 years. That does not seem an unreasonable rule, if anything it is a tad generous. Those who vote in this country should live in this country and suffer the consequences of those votes. The likes of Brian Cox who would vote SNP but has avoided SNP enhanced taxes for more than that period has no right to be making choices for us poor benighted souls who are still living here under their thumb.

This is an undemocratic and unprincipled decision by a frankly desperate government.
    In general I'm in favour of a broad franchise although I wouldn't man the barricades for a group that has a tenuous connection with the country. But if you accept overseas nationals have legitimate interests they should vote for representatives who defend those interests.

Years ago I met someone who was campaigning for Sarkozy's party in the constituency containing the UK. He must have lost because unexpectedly all the expats voted Socialist according to the Wikipedia article I linked.Maybe the same will happen here and Starmer will get a boost.
  • Options
    Exclusive: Al-Shabab and Newcastle have reached an agreement over the transfer of Miguel Almiron. The player is open to the move. Fee is expected to be in the region of whatever the fuck Newcastle need to ease their FFP difficulties.

https://x.com/faaabianskiii/status/1749403013918417026?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 147
    Unless there's data otherwise I expect the ex pats to be more left wing than people expect (which I think is coloured by memories like @noneoftheabove's grandparents' friends - a description I too recognise very well.

Firstly there's the ones affected by Brexit.

Secondly the ones otherwise affected by immigration policy (how many are living abroad as they cannot take their family back?

Thirdly they don't have to take the consequences of any tax increases but they do get to "enjoy" our public services when they come back to visit.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    isam said:

Re the Labour Majority price, 1.27 means any other outcome is about 7/2. If you backed a 7/2f in an eight runner horse race, you’d be quietly confident of it winning, maybe you’d even (wrongly) expect it to win. But this 7/2 shot (Labour not getting an overall majority) seems like it should be a million to one

And yet many on PB do not expect a labour majority (or so they say).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Agree with Stodge, the idea 2.2 million overseas voters are going to rush to the Tories aid is ... far fetched
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    stodge said:

I feel it's the direction of travel that's important here. Saddo that I am I have looked at the Labour lead change for each pollster compared with that pollster's previous poll to see the change:

+1% Deltapoll (15 Jan Lab lead = 16%; 22 Jan Lab lead =17%)
    +4% R&W
    +3% We Think
    -2% Techne
    +4% YouGov
    +1% Lord Ashcroft (albeit, previous poll was 2 months ago)
    -2% Savanta
    +1% Opinium
    0% (n/c) More in Common

From that, I'd suggest the Labour lead is edging upwards.

That Labour lead averages 19.7% for all polls conducted this year and 22% for polls conducted in the past week, so I think talk of a lead of 15-20% is out of date. The Labour lead is currently a fairly solid 20%.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

isam said:

Contrarianism perhaps?
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    How will SKS recover from this latest blow?
  • Options
    Shades of the joke Sir Keir allegedly prosecuted someone for a decade ago.

Chess prodigy Aditya Verma goes on trial for easyJet bomb hoax

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2bae7959-b683-4ded-ab2a-50a9c7768411?shareToken=2303743e5fd669e5383aaef7db110967
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Contrarianism perhaps?
    Or desperately hoping for a labour majority and not wanting to jinx things?
  • Options

isam said:

It is odd. If we took the @viewcode approach, and tried to look at the data as if we were Finns, I don't see how we could come to any conclusion other than "There's a landslide incoming, possibly worse than 1997, given the polling errors from then that have been understood and fixed."

And yet, there's a nervousness about saying that.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,826
    James Heale @JAHeale
    Liz Truss one of four former cabinet ministers launching a new movement to deliver popular conservatism in a fortnight’s time. See https://www.popularconservatism.com/
    Jan 22, 2024 · 11:51 AM UTC
    https://nitter.net/JAHeale/status/1749399444871676140#m
  • Options
    Rules on eligible voters and elections in general will shift over time, and even if one side might benefit more than another to a small degree does not mean automatically that said change is dodgy. Finally getting the boundary review through when (at least initially) people considered the changes were likely to benefit the Tories, is an example.

But when there are multiple examples of tweaking rules - voter ID, forcing mayoralties to be FPTP etc - only some of which were committments, then even if individually not unreasonable it can start to look like an attempt to lean a thumb on the scales.
  • Options
    @CorrectHorseBattery was absolutely right when he called the peak of Johnson and said the idea Johnson would be PM for a decade was nonsense. And he predicted SKS as PM from the start.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale
    Liz Truss one of four former cabinet ministers launching a new movement to deliver popular conservatism in a fortnight’s time. See https://www.popularconservatism.com/

I feel like a fortnight is a bit soon to deliver popular conservatism to the people. I'd expect it to catch on about 1 year into Labour's second term.
  • Options

@CorrectHorseBattery was absolutely right when he called the peak of Johnson and said the idea Johnson would be PM for a decade was nonsense. And he predicted SKS as PM from the start.

He also spent months yelling ‘lockdown now’, so he wasn’t right about everything.
  • Options
    edited January 22

isam said:

It is odd. If we took the @viewcode approach, and tried to look at the data as if we were Finns, I don't see how we could come to any conclusion other than "There's a landslide incoming, possibly worse than 1997, given the polling errors from then that have been understood and fixed."

It must be because, this far from the GE, the last four (five if you include the referendum) favourites have been turned over at relatively short prices. I don’t know what the Tories could do, but maybe something spectacular will happen.

2010 Con Maj
    2015 NOM
    2016 Remain
    2017 Con Maj
    2019 NOM
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,948

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Trebles all 'round!
    You exaggerate, MP.

2.2m could do much damage if utilised expeditiously.
    Imagine, if you will, that instead it is just squandered in various shallow policy 'flavours' over the next 6-10 months. Possibly tallied up in a very nice spreadsheet - but squandered nonetheless.
  • Options

He also spent months yelling ‘lockdown now’, so he wasn’t right about everything.
    But neither is everyone. What we can say is that his political judgment since 2019 has been a lot better than most here.

It's a shame he had to leave us but I am doing my best to take his place until one day he comes back.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

I'd like to understand the relationship of this movement to the 'Antigrowth Coalition'?
  • Options
    30 pointer is on before the next GE.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    edited January 22
    viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

Edit: see @kle4 got there first with the gag
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

It must be because, this far from the GE, the last four (five if you include the referendum) favourites have been turned over at relatively short prices. I don’t know what the Tories could do, but maybe something spectacular will happen.

2010 Con Maj
    2015 NOM
    2016 Remain
    2017 Con Maj
    2019 NOM
    2019 NOM? I, for one, expected Corbyn to get thrashed.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

Since nobody else has said it, can I be the first to note that the best way to deliver Popular Conservatism is to study what Truss did and do the opposite?

Given that she pushed the party to depths of unpopularity so low that not even RIshi Sunak has plumbed them.

Yet.
  • Options
    edited January 22

isam said:

isam said:

2010 Con Maj
    2015 NOM
    2016 Remain
    2017 Con Maj
    2019 NOM
    2019 NOM? I, for one, expected Corbyn to get thrashed.
    10 months before the GE (When May was leader) NOM was fav I think. Maybe Labour were. The polls were neck & neck anyway. Only when Boris took over did Tory Maj become fav, and it wasn’t a huge fav either. The exit poll moved the market about 30%
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

The 2019 Conservatives can’t have him at all. I doubt many knew who he was in Dec 19

Second lowest Conservative % with Sunak as PM.

Previous low of 46% recorded on day he became PM.

Westminster VI, 2019 Conservatives (21 Jan):

Conservative 47% (-3)
    Labour 19% (+5)
    Reform UK 18% (+3)
    Other 5% (+1)
    Don't Know 13% (-4)

Changes +/- 14 Jan

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voti…

https://x.com/redfieldwilton/status/1749478340354806215?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Serious genuine question-

If Boris hadn't been deposed, what do you think would have been different? Different policies, different vibes, or both?
    I think mainly different vibes. Sunak seems to be trying to be Boris-lite, and not convincing anyone.

In my view the main thing is that 2019 voters were invested in Boris in a way that they aren’t
    in Sunak. There was someone/thing to swing
    back to, whereas now they don’t feel attached at all. The few polls that have been taken of 2019 Tories show he is far more popular than his successors, even when Rishi wasn’t particularly unpopular, and the ‘personality’ polls, which I think give a good tip as to who will win voters round in a campaign, had him streets ahead (48-15) of Sir Keir even in the bad times, whereas Sunak was losing 26-25 a year ago, and no doubt would be losing by more now

In hindsight the Tories should have appointed a caretaker leader whilst Boris was on trial, giving him room to come back. He could always have fought the by election though
    I'm not sure he's trying to be Boris-lite. I have a horrible feeling he's trying to be Boris-serious.

But he comes across as 'filler'. Like an ingredient you read on the back of a packet and your eyes glaze over. "Emulsifier' - whatever, ok. 'Contains gluten' - fine.

I had hopes that he was going to be a new Major and least be decent - but it's not played out that way. Somehow he's managed to be both bland and annoying.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687

isam said:

70 out of 81 PB Competition entries predicted a Labour majority, 10 prediction for NOM, and 1 for a Tory majority.
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

isam said:

isam said:

The 2019 Conservatives can’t have him at all. I doubt many knew who he was in Dec 19

Second lowest Conservative % with Sunak as PM.

Previous low of 46% recorded on day he became PM.

Westminster VI, 2019 Conservatives (21 Jan):

Conservative 47% (-3)
    Labour 19% (+5)
    Reform UK 18% (+3)
    Other 5% (+1)
    Don't Know 13% (-4)

Changes +/- 14 Jan

redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-gb-voti…

https://x.com/redfieldwilton/status/1749478340354806215?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Serious genuine question-

If Boris hadn't been deposed, what do you think would have been different? Different policies, different vibes, or both?
    I think mainly different vibes. Sunak seems to be trying to be Boris-lite, and not convincing anyone.

In my view the main thing is that 2019 voters were invested in Boris in a way that they aren’t
    in Sunak. There was someone/thing to swing
    back to, whereas now they don’t feel attached at all. The few polls that have been taken of 2019 Tories show he is far more popular than his successors, even when Rishi wasn’t particularly unpopular, and the ‘personality’ polls, which I think give a good tip as to who will win voters round in a campaign, had him streets ahead (48-15) of Sir Keir even in the bad times, whereas Sunak was losing 26-25 a year ago, and no doubt would be losing by more now

In hindsight the Tories should have appointed a caretaker leader whilst Boris was on trial, giving him room to come back. He could always have fought the by election though
    I'm not sure he's trying to be Boris-lite. I have a horrible feeling he's trying to be Boris-serious.

But he comes across as 'filler'. Like an ingredient you read on the back of a packet and your eyes glaze over. "Emulsifier' - whatever, ok. 'Contains gluten' - fine.

I had hopes that he was going to be a new Major and least be decent - but it's not played out that way. Somehow he's managed to be both bland and annoying.
    Boris-serious is a better way of putting it 👍🏻
  • Options
    On topic, let’s think through the logical steps of what Biden is doing.

He’s highlighting apparent failings in Trump’s cognitive abilities. Fair enough. After all, Trump has been pummelling him on the same issue.

But is it necessarily wise to be banging on about your opponent’s cognitive decline when most voters would say your own is more pronounced? Probably not because it brings more attention to the issue.

So it appears like there are three
    possible strategies here:

1. Do whatever is needed to persuade Republicans to vote Haley. Which suggests Democrats would be comfortable with her as the candidate / President - not a strategy likely to endear her to Republicans.

2. Suppress his vote by raising questions about his mental fitness but taking the risk it will highlight the problems facing you as a candidate.

3. Biden is looking beyond himself to a scenario where he steps down for a younger candidate and suddenly Trump’s age / cognitive decline no longer is a relative issue vs the two candidates but an absolute one.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

isam said:

70 out of 81 PB Competition entries predicted a Labour majority, 10 prediction for NOM, and 1 for a Tory majority.
    @Mexicanpete :lol:
  • Options
    viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

It will be neither Conservative, nor popular...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,545
    isam said:

My quiet confidence that it would win, based on its chance being to win twice if that race were run 9 times, is misplaced.

IMHO Labour getting an OM is odds on - and of course rightly so - but the value, such as there is, lies with NOM (Smarkets current reckon that at 16%).

But a Labour OM is such a massive turnaround, and the atmosphere so fragile, that its current 77% chance is too high. There is too much to go wrong, no upside for Labour and plenty of downside.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

I feel like a fortnight is a bit soon to deliver popular conservatism to the people. I'd expect it to catch on about 1 year into Labour's second term.
    This is inspiring front-page copy though :

If you want to apply for a ticket to join the launch of Popular Conservatism please fill in the form on this page.
    Successful applicants will be contacted by email with further information including venue and address.
    To the barricades!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

It will be neither Conservative, nor popular...
    ... with a faint, fading smell of pork.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,220

isam said:

@Mexicanpete :lol:
    Remember 1992!
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

kle4 said:

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

This is inspiring front-page copy though :

If you want to apply for a ticket to join the launch of Popular Conservatism please fill in the form on this page.
    Successful applicants will be contacted by email with further information including venue and address.
    To the barricades!

To win a place at the launch event, say in no more than 100 words what it is that makes you a PopCon?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

Will popular conservatism become a dictionary example of an oxymoron in years to come?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995

He’s highlighting apparent failings in Trump’s cognitive abilities. Fair enough. After all, Trump has been pummelling him on the same issue.

But is it necessarily wise to be banging on about your opponent’s cognitive decline when most voters would say your own is more pronounced? Probably not because it brings more attention to the issue.

1. Do whatever is needed to persuade Republicans to vote Haley. Which suggests Democrats would be comfortable with her as the candidate / President - not a strategy likely to endear her to Republicans.

2. Suppress his vote by raising questions about his mental fitness but taking the risk it will highlight the problems facing you as a candidate.

3. Biden is looking beyond himself to a scenario where he steps down for a younger candidate and suddenly Trump’s age / cognitive decline no longer is a relative issue vs the two candidates but an absolute one.

Like when Michelle (60yrs) agrees to stand?

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

Whatever happened to the popular front?

She's over there...
  • Options

Anyone remember @MrEd? Perhaps he still clip clops among us?
  • Options
    p.s. Take it that everybody else has noted 6 February in their diaries?
  • Options

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

Since nobody else has said it, can I be the first to note that the best way to deliver Popular Conservatism is to study what Truss did and do the opposite?

Given that she pushed the party to depths of unpopularity so low that not even RIshi Sunak has plumbed them.

Yet.
    The broad goal may not have been that outrageous - they needed to renew themselves and try something different after 12 years in power after all. Planning and execution were obvious problems, but I assumed once things settled they'd probably try for Truss 2.0.

However, Sunak has been unable to settle things, so they presumably will just cut some taxes just before the election instead, like they are playing Galactic Civilizations on easy mode.
  • Options

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

Will popular conservatism become a dictionary example of an oxymoron in years to come?
    I'm not even against groups like this as a concept, but it feels like there's a lot of them so they surely overlap quite a bit. And the easy joke, which still feels true, is that they will insist they are popular even if they, as a group, do badly - like how the party will inevitably interpret a big win for Keir Starmer as a sign the voters really wanted the opposite of Keir Starmer.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Barnesian said:

Like when Michelle (60yrs) agrees to stand?

TBF, kitch’s theory is more convincing than Leon’s ‘Trump is faking dementia to sucker the Democrats’ one.
  • Options

isam said:

The entire activity of betting on real events, as opposed to mechanical/electronic contingencies, is predicated upon the possibility that you can predict outcomes which do not follow the formbook even in the simplest events like a 'two horse race'. All time proves this to be sometimes true.

So, at this moment I believe in and accept the objective probability of a Labour majority but actually predict that there will be No Overall Majority. people do this all the time, and essentially they do it every time they back anyone but the favourite. Betting can't exist without this interesting phenomenon.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    eek said:

isam said:

MJW said:

Ratters said:

Labour leads by 23%.

Labour 45% (+1)
    Conservative 22% (-3)
    Reform UK 12% (+1)
    Green 6% (+1)
    SNP 2% (-1)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 14 Jan

Oasis without Liam Gallagher is generous - if the 2019 Tory party was Oasis, the 2024 version is a third rate tribute band where the previous lead singer was replaced by someone with a transit van to transport the kit.
    Whatever.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 22

It's not complicated. If the voters think you've got a problem, your opponent has the problem way worse, and the voters don't know that your opponent has the problem, you should show the voters that your opponent has the problem.

Trump's brain appears to have turned to pudding, there is loads of footage of this, and the media don't talk about it because they never made a narrative around it and they sort of don't expect Trump to make sense. Meanwhile there's so little evidence of Biden suffering cognitive decline that Trump supporters have to circulate fake clips. He absolutely can and should win on this issue.

He has a problem if Nikki Haley wins the GOP race but that now seems unlikely.
  • Options

isam said:

IIRC no-one at all predicted a Lab majority of the scale indicated by Baxtering their best current polling figures.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    Ukraine’s ammo shortage becoming more difficult by the day. Around Bakhmut an M109 position we visited only got smoke rounds. The division commander says the current ratio is 10:1 in favor of the Russians. Still Ukrainian troops are holding on
    https://twitter.com/fpleitgenCNN/status/1749519849074639180

The Republican party is now actively supporting the Russian invasion, whether they’re too stupid to realise it, or actually malign.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    kle4 said:

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

I'm not even against groups like this as a concept, but it feels like there's a lot of them so they surely overlap quite a bit. And the easy joke, which still feels true, is that they will insist they are popular even if they, as a group, do badly - like how the party will inevitably interpret a big win for Keir Starmer as a sign the voters really wanted the opposite of Keir Starmer.
    I do wonder if some of the folk who loudly insist that Rwanda is the will of the British people actually believe it. I imagine they’re the..er..simpler souls among us.
  • Options

Er. Why?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

She's over there...
    Didn't she oversee the least popular conservatism?
  • Options
    edited January 22

Er. Why?
    PopCon launch event at a venue yet to be disclosed.

And I thought you were the TRUSS fan?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Ukraine’s ammo shortage becoming more difficult by the day. Around Bakhmut an M109 position we visited only got smoke rounds. The division commander says the current ratio is 10:1 in favor of the Russians. Still Ukrainian troops are holding on

The Republican party is now actively supporting the Russian invasion, whether they’re too stupid to realise it, or actually malign.

Even more stupid is the disgraced former Prime Minister and friend of Ukraine who has just given his (pretty much worthless) backing to DJ Trump.
  • Options
    edited January 22
    One reason for not backing Lab Maj at 1.27 is that, although you think they will achieve it, you also think the odds will get bigger at some point. Maybe a bit of swing back (although I’m not sure it exists in this parliament), more likely Sir Keir looks wooden & old, a pale, stale, male in the campaign, compared to Rishi being energetic & youthful. At one point RS was considered ‘dishy’ and a smooth customer, maybe right now is a low as his ratings will go?

So Lab still get the majority, but it trades 1.6 or something
  • Options
    edited January 22

Er. Why?
    I don’t need a diary entry for that event.

I’m the organiser.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

She's over there...
    Popcon?

More like popcorn.
  • Options
    isam said:

One reason for not backing Lab Maj at 1.27 is that, although you think they will achieve it, you also think the odds will get bigger at some point. Maybe a bit of swing back (although I’m not sure it exists in this parliament), more likely Sir Keir looks wooden & old, a pale, stale, male in the campaign, compared to Rishi being energetic & youthful. At one point RS was considered ‘dishy’ and a smooth customer, maybe right now is a low as his ratings will go?

Less of the old please. He's younger than me.
  • Options
    A guy who voted against Biden’s infrastructure bill which provided this funding.

I'm proud to announce that Duluth, MN and Superior, WI have received over 1 billion in federal funding to help replace the Blatnik Bridge. This is a HUGE win for #MN08 and I was proud to advocate for these funds!
    https://twitter.com/RepPeteStauber/status/1749491287160459605

Fairly typical of the Republican party in Congress.
  • Options
    edited January 22

isam said:

Sir Keir was a very handsome man right up to his late forties from what I can see; he looked much younger than he actually was then. It’s unreal how he has aged since giving up the DPP job/becoming an MP

About 50 here

• Options
    Did TRUSS intend her new caucus to sound like ‘popcorn’?
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

viewcode said:

James Heale @JAHeale

She's over there...
    Didn't she oversee the least popular conservatism?
    You were just suffering from false consciousness
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465

Er. Why?
    I don’t need a diary entry for that event.

I’m the organiser.
    Can we pay cash on the door?
  • Options
    edited January 22

I have - its the day of my pacemaker operation !!!!!!
    Good luck with that G. Hope all goes well.
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes, this may work until and unless Sunak actually has to engage with the public which didn't go well last week. Presumably between hiding in a fridge (been done) or being completely surrounded by loyal Tories (ditto) for the duration of the campaign can and will be his only options.

Will a debate with Starmer work to his advantage? Could do until and unless he has to answer question on the Government's record.

1.27 might look generous by polling day - could be 1.01 by then. Of course, 1.01 chances don't always win - ask anyone who trades on horse racing.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited January 22
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Trebles all 'round!
    It's more than a bit whiffy but they have to get people to register and then vote Tory

Reality is - this scheme needs to be binned when Labour gets in and replaced with if you aren't in the country you don't get a say...
    Or Labour could let us keep our votes and get their shit together to get Labour supporters back on the electoral register as well?

I know there was a time when the Tories were the party of international capitalism but those days are gone, the Tories are suspicious of anything foreign, the people in little British retirement enclaves in Spain have been deported thanks to Brexit and the Tories are trying to split us up from our families in the event that we had to move back to Britain to look after relatives or whatever. Labour shouldn't need to be defensive about this.

I haven't had any communication from them about the fact that I can now register despite being a member of the Labour Party. All I ever get from them is emails about branch meetings in Australia.
  • Options

I have - its the day of my pacemaker operation !!!!!!
    Truly a big day! All best wishes for that.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649

Nigelb said:

Even more stupid is the disgraced former Prime Minister and friend of Ukraine who has just given his (pretty much worthless) backing to DJ Trump.
    On the unlikely but off chance Boris has even the partial ear of Trump and can somehow warm him to the charms of Zelenskyy, writing something supportive (which everyone will ignore anyway) is a small price to pay.
  • Options
    stodge said:

isam said:

Yes, this may work until and unless Sunak actually has to engage with the public which didn't go well last week. Presumably between hiding in a fridge (been done) or being completely surrounded by loyal Tories (ditto) for the duration of the campaign can and will be his only options.

Will a debate with Starmer work to his advantage? Could do until and unless he has to answer question on the Government's record.

1.27 might look generous by polling day - could be 1.01 by then. Of course, 1.01 chances don't always win - ask anyone who trades on horse racing.
    I’m not suggesting doing it, just trying to come up with a reason why everyone’s not smashing into the ‘free money’
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Personally, if I were CCHQ with 2.2m voters to place*, I'd turn Liverpool all blue just for the lols. I suspect Dixie Dean at least will approve.
  • Options
    ….
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yes, but at this point he’s pretty irrelevant.
    Whereas the US cutting off arms supplies is already having serious consequences at the front.
    https://twitter.com/War_Mapper/status/1749529940570091740
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

New Thread

• Options
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Pro_Rata said:

Personally, if I were CCHQ with 2.2m voters to place*, I'd turn Liverpool all blue just for the lols. I suspect Dixie Dean at least will approve.

I do indeed ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003

Unless there's data otherwise I expect the ex pats to be more left wing than people expect (which I think is coloured by memories like @noneoftheabove's grandparents' friends - a description I too recognise very well.

Firstly there's the ones affected by Brexit.

Secondly the ones otherwise affected by immigration policy (how many are living abroad as they cannot take their family back?

Thirdly they don't have to take the consequences of any tax increases but they do get to "enjoy" our public services when they come back to visit.

Younger son is on his way atm from Thailand for a short, mainly business, visit. He’s not happy about the difficulties around bringing his Thai wife over here, and the costs his children might face if they try to come here for University.
    I’ll see what he says about voting for Priti Patel when he arrives!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    isam said:

isam said:

Sir Keir was a very handsome man right up to his late forties from what I can see; he looked much younger than he actually was then. It’s unreal how he has aged since giving up the DPP job/becoming an MP

About 50 here

55 to 60 is when men visibly age. As I know only too well.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    isam said:

isam said:

About 50 here

I think he looks rather better now actually. The grey hair now looks a bit more natural; it has caught up with the lack of eyebrows. He looks a bit severe (imo) in the shot you've posted. Bit like Duncan Goodhew in a wig. Perhaps I'm just more used to how he looks now.
  • Options

Paul Mason
    @paulmasonnews
    The real story here: Labour is ahead but has stopped gaining from Tories - Tory decline now entirely due to cannibalization by Reform UK. All it takes is for them to yet again pull out at last minute and a lot of those votes go to "don't know/lean Tory" - Labour has more work to appeal to 2019 Tories who are Reform curious
This discussion has been closed.